1.12/5
Based on 265 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

289 Fairpoint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My Fairpoint internet service has been incredibly slow for days now and I'm completely unable to stream online video. The service technician was supposed to come yesterday so I waited all day and he never showed up. No phone call, nothing! I called technical support this morning to find out what happened and was told the service call was scheduled for today. That wasn't the date they told me two days ago. Fairpoint treats its customers with complete contempt. Terrible internet service and really sloppy customer support.

Original review: May 22, 2018

What a disservice to the community, they were the only company when I moved to my residence and require internet for work and I have had issues and problems ever since, multiple calls, non-working internet, no customer service after 5 pm M-F and none on weekends. The customer service they have are cocky, rude and incompetent to address every issue I have had. The most recent today, not to mention any names but DAN come into mind. He was a joke. Called because I finally found a competent internet company, actually competition in Maine... about time, and I received a bill for 130.00 for early disconnection fee. I have had them for 1.5 yrs and they never said a word about this when we called them and today we received a bill.

DAN was very rude on the phone and we told him that they actually owe us 1.5 yrs of payments because the service wasn't usable, he obviously didn't care and said he would send us to collections. What a joke, they are, they need to a big fat lawsuit against them for charging for a service they cannot provide and then put jokers like DAN on the phone who only add salt to the wound. The community needs to know about this crooked company. They think we don't have other choices so this is how they take advantage of us. Who would pay to disconnect from a company you have been having discussions with for 1.5 yrs about how their service doesn't work. Crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 29, 2018

This place is like the slum landlord of internet. Would not recommend switching from a larger provider; at least larger providers are upfront about the bait and switch business model. This place seems to focus on a lot of areas without other competition, so customers get stonewalled by the big fish/small pond monopoly business model. Internet literally goes out in every light rain. They send you to a speed test site that falsifies your connection, then it gets throttled back down when you go to any other site. Complete fraud, and do not expect even the reduced speeds of larger providers - this place throttles down to dial-up speed through much of the day.

Resolution response: April 19, 2018

Consolidated Communications / Fairpoint called me today and stated that they refunded my labor charge of $80.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Established internet service with Fairpoint in late November. To establish service though they want you to buy one of their DSL modems for $155. They state that you CAN use your own equipment but you will be charged service calls if you have any issues. Well I bought my own equipment (modem) for $40 brand new. Early March I had a brief power outage that disabled my modem in which I called Fairpoint (now called Consolidated Communications) to reestablish service. They stated that they had a signal but would send a tech out in a couple days which was actually 4 days to look at the matter. No one ever stated that sending a tech out was going to cost $80 or that there would even be a charge.

The tech confirmed there was a signal on the box and I told him I tried to reset the PPPoE with the username and password I was given, also given to my wife by the way. He asked what they were so I told him. He went to his truck and returned with a totally different password than WE were given. I then tried to enter the different password which then enabled me to have internet service.

I later received my Fairpoint invoice with an additional $80 labor fee when the entire time it was given the CORRECT password no one would have had to come out and I'd still be a satisfied customer. I've spoken to 3 different people including a manager and they say that is their policy to charge me a minimum $80. They also informed me that what they first told me "If you have our equipment/modem you won't receive service fees" was not true. They told me EVEN if I had their equipment they would have charged me $80 at least. So in my book they are liars AND my original issue could have been resolved by giving me the correct password to reestablish service.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I called Fairpoint in December 2017 to have my phone service disconnected. We removed our phones except the one way back in the basement. We left for a family medical emergency. My husband and myself just returned last night. While putting our luggage away in the basement I heard the old phone ring. I realized it was still working.

Today I called Fairpoint and told the man that I had put in an order to have my phone disconnected in December. I was told over and over I did not place the order. So basically I was called a liar multiple times. Now I have a huge bill going to a collection agency if I don't pay it for a phone I haven't wanted for months. I asked him to look and see that no phone call was made on this phone or answered on this phone since the middle of December. He informed that he could not possibly see information. I have been a loyal customer for many years and cannot believe how I was treated. If I can stop anyone else from using this horrible company it will be worth me writing this review. Please people find another phone company this is the worst service I have ever seen and no one should ever be talked to like I was today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fairpoint?

Original review: March 2, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their customer service reps are incompetent, and not knowledgeable about the company, its services, and operations. They charge an outrageous sum for basic phone and internet service that is so slow, it is not worth having. I changed over to Spectrum recently, and discovered that Fairpoint/Consolidated was still charging me for my phone service a full three weeks after I closed the account. The first rep I spoke to, said that Spectrum needed to call Fairpoint to port the number. WRONG! This is not true.

I called them on February 12th and disconnected all services. The second rep I spoke to said that there was a mistake in my billing and I will be credited. We shall see about that. I cannot talk to a supervisor, as they tell me no one is available and I can request a call back, which will happen in 24 to 48 hours. What the hell? They are the worst customer care service I have ever dealt with. I doubt I get a call back.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Since I had Fairpoint install internet service one month ago it has been out twice for prolonged periods. Spending over 1 hour on hold to talk to someone is ridiculous. Nobody knows what why or how to actually help a customer. This is the worst customer service ever. Now I'm told I must be home waiting for a technician between 8:00am and 7:00pm. SERIOUSLY? I work and no one else lives here. An 11 hour window for service help is a joke. I was told by the woman in tech support that if the problem is my modem they will need to order it and UPS will deliver it. The technician does not have one in his truck. Come on this company is run by the philosophy of NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Absolutely the worst excuse for a communications company. Lacking professional employees is only part of the problem. They have been sending my bill to a nonexistent address in the wrong town. CUSTOMER SERVICE TELLS ME I GAVE THEM THE WRONG ADDRESS!!! I actually know where I live. Stay away from this company!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

It’s been less than a year, and they make Comcast look good. I’ve only had service since September and going on my 3rd service call. I should’ve canceled when the service failed 2 days after installation. Most recently, my $108 payment was almost 2 days late and they shut off my service, but it gets better... I was transferred for nearly an hour before someone could find my (already submitted) payment and then they had to submit a ticket to turn service back on. When it came on, the internet didn’t. Now I’ll be waiting 1-3 days for a tech to come fix it. No regard at all for customers. I miss Verizon!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Unlike most customers of the former known Fairpoint we never had a problem until December 2017, after Consolidated bought them. We have been now day 7 waiting for a tech to bring us a router. Always a no show, calling is no help. They just reiterate a “ticket is open”. Meanwhile we have no useable internet! Stay Away!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Called to upgrade my land phone to unlimited local & long distance (advertised 24.99/mo). The 24.99/mo bloomed into $42/mo (after taxes, etc.) and it wasn't stated that I would have to buy DirecTV and /or internet as well. I have been trying to get internet (dsl) through this company for 6 mos. They keep telling me upgrades are planned blah blah blah. Then today I get a customer service rep who doesn't have a supervisor!! Who kept putting me on mute when I was trying to understand why Fairpoint can't provide dsl internet in Mason, NH!!! Look at the history of this company... Chapter 11 in 2011!! It's terrible that for so many people this horrible company is the only game in town. They know it. And treat people accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

If you're considering getting Fairpoint DSL, don't... RUN in the opposite direction! My wife and I have a laptop each and I have a smart phone which I leave off at the house with the WIFI disconnected. We're having to reboot the router multiple times a day (one they replaced!), the internet is constantly buffering and we keep losing connection. It's bad, really, really bad. Thing is, why do I have to waste my time dealing with stupid tech support? Their system should be able to monitor when we're having issues and they should ** well have to spend their time fixing my issues, not my time! TCC Skywire has a disruptive technology with WIFI repeaters on trees and we're switching as soon as it's available in our neighborhood - Fairpoint should be closed down. :(

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My parents live in a rural town in New England. While home for Christmas I needed to help them set up their internet and work with them to figure out their new smart TV. My parents, calling over a month before I got home, were told the soonest appointment that they could get to set up their internet in their new house was 3 days before I departed. I had plans to be home for 3 weeks. A week before our appointment my father and I call to confirm with Fairpoint that this is new construction and our builder laid most of their groundwork for them. They took note and said thank you.

The day of our appointment I called first thing to see what time frame I could expect them. THEY SAID WE WERE NOT SCHEDULED AND HAD BEEN CANCELLED. Who cancelled it? Couldn't say. Wasn't one of us. The receptionist said it may just be a system glitch. They 'expedited' our service, promising a person would be to us by the end of the day.

End of the day comes around so we call back right before closing. The error code had been changed to 'unforeseen two person job' and we were told we need to reschedule. Unforeseen? We called a week before to clarify our situation. They assured us it wasn't an issue and even very helpful for their workers. We are unable to reach a manager, when we ask the receptionists laugh and hang up on us. We have no other ISP reaching this area so we cannot threaten switching and they know that. I have never had ruder customer service agents or dealt with a more incompetent company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Our account buys way more than 700kb/sec. Yet I chronically only get 50-100kb/sec actual throughout. We have brand new phone lines, tight connections. We also have had their technicians come out more than once, and have called phone help more than once. They direct me to DSL speed test websites that make it seem like I am getting close to 1,800kb/sec but this is ridiculous, and a lie. If I am getting over 1,000kb/sec then why does EVERY website only max out around 70-100kb/sec? They are throttling folks and lying about it. Lying.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We are located in an area where Fairpoint is the only internet available; even satellite won’t work well. The satellite is too far on the horizon to get a good signal for Dish. I have had problems with internet speeds consistently below 56k/sec for many years; I have complained and am continually told it’s a problem in the area, and repairs are ongoing. When it rains, forget about it: no internet. One does not have to be an engineer to know that it’s a loose connection that is being shorted by water during a rain event (although I am).

The last time I had a service call in, I was told the problem was inside the house and was charged $80 for a service call when the technician did not fix the problem. I disputed the charge and was told it was “independently reviewed” and the charge stands. Unbelievably poor service and horrendous customer service. We would all be better off without this glimmer of hope for Internet in rural Maine.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have never in my life heard of a company that could use someone else’s voice authorization to sign another person up for something that could impact their credit. My mother in law thought it would be a good idea to get a discount on her internet by somehow linking it to my electricity bill. Apparently by getting my boyfriend (now husband) on the phone and her telling someone he had the authority (he didn’t even know what he was signing up for) on the account.

Months later, my now husband received phone calls for a collection. They told him it was for me but wouldn’t tell him what it was for although he supposedly gave authorization. They did not even have my phone number or know how to get ahold of me. Seems odd being that this would impact my credit don’t you think?

Long story short after talking to 3 people that made mistake after mistake telling me the balance was one thing and then calling me back and saying another balance etc. no one was able to resolve the issue. They charged me 2 early termination fees for something I never signed up for. I am an executive and will make it my business to pass on what a fraudulent company Fairpoint is and that they have beyond unfair business practices. This can’t come as a surprise being there are ample complaints online and a horrible rating.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We live in an area not serviced by cable broadband, and after having Satellite internet with another provider we needed something with more capacity and Fairpoint became available in the area. Unfortunately Fairpoint has been remarkably inconsistent and sporadic. I called several times one day to request help getting a reliable signal, and was told to cycle my modem. We do this now on a daily basis, at least 3 to 4 times per day. If I am working from home, I typically have to hard reset the modem between 10 and 15 times.

I called for a new modem, or some real resolution, and was sent a service tech, who came in the house and changed my "old" modem for a new one. I received a $90 service bill for this, which Fairpoint would not refund, even though they were coming to replace THEIR modem. Unbelievable. The company is phenomenally indifferent and careless. Our internet is still horribly sporadic, but when we call, we are just told there are service outages in the area and no info on when it will be resolved. If you have ANY other options, use them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We have had a landline with Fairpoint Communications and its predecessors for 45 years. Fairpoint Communications recently disconnected our landline because we were behind 1 month payment in the amount of $57.25. I would say that was a horrible way to treat a customer of 45 years.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have been experiencing frequent disconnects. They came to my house, gave me a new modem, sent me an email that they fixed the problems and today five days later, the problem has grown from 2~3 disconnects a day to 2~3 disconnects an hour.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I call them “FailPoint”... After looking on the web for a place to voice my continual dissatisfaction with them, I see I’m not the first to use that name. What can I say about this company? I live in a small town and they’re the only game in town for internet, so I’m stuck with them. Their service is really poor. I’ve had internet with them for several years and have gotten used to the necessity of rebooting my router AT LEAST daily, if not several times a day. I just had them come in a couple days ago to “upgrade” my DSL to the best they have available here - 12m up. It worked for a day and just dropped off the air again twice in the last hour.

The day of the upgrade they apparently made a chance at the NOC early in the morning - my service was completely out all day until the tech showed up to install the upgrade. In the process, he also managed to knock out my landline phone (also FailPoint provided) as well as somehow kill a circuit of my electrical - I’ve been without lights in several rooms for two days despite a promise that they were going to send out an electrician to fix whatever was done. (To their credit, they DID send out a second tech to fix the landline that the first tech had somehow disconnected).

I complained to the first tech about the need to reboot daily and was told that was “perfectly normal. It’s all computer gear - you should be in the habit of rebooting it every day. There’s errors on the line and they go into an error buffer. The buffer gets full and then bad things start happening.” Seriously? I suppose if I disconnect the line when that’s happening, all the bad bits spill out onto the floor and stain the carpet? I didn’t even bother to argue with him. He either doesn’t know what he’s talking about or was trying to BS me.

Sadly, I just retired from a career in network support - I can tell you, if the company I worked for provided the level of service I get from FailPoint, heads would have rolled. We were expected to provide 99%+ uptime. My suggestion: if you have an alternative for internet/phone/TV service - try them first. All cable companies have bad reputations - in my experience, FailPoint DESERVES theirs.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This company is extremely incompetent! I have had problems with my bill and have been told that they are correcting it, but we keep getting bills with the wrong amount. Now they are sending notices that they are disconnecting our service. I give up, just disconnect it and I will go with a different provider for data. Your service is horrible from the installation, which never was completed, to your terrible employees that cannot get their jobs done. I guess that I will need to contact the Missouri Public Service Commission to try to get this resolved.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I moved and took my service with me when I moved. Since then, which kind you was almost three years ago at about the same time every night the internet completely shuts off. It does not return for at least 12 hours. I have called 800 numbers, managers, representatives and no one helps me. My husband went to do a delivery close to our home town, a manager there and she stated she would resolve this issue for us. Well we called and called and she never responded back. Typical! So I have been paid my for internet for the last 3 years and only getting to use it for only 2-3 hours a day after I get home from work. I have contacted a lawyer at this point. I would like all my money back from this company for no service provided.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Crap phone service. In home service sucked too, hours on the phone none could help. Many hard resets on the modem, wouldn't send someone out to swap modem for 7 days so I bounced back to Comcast, Comcast is pricey BUT IT WORKS!!! UnFairPoint don't care about you!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have Fairpoint because it is the only option besides cable and satellite. I have off and on email problems (last time I lost my complete history of emails over several years). Sometimes it won't send. I watch videos at night and very often (most of the time recently) my wireless (I watch on Kindle) slows down to a crawl. It buffers so frequently it's not worth watching. On my desktop I can switch over to a wired connection. Not so on the Kindle. And I say to myself, I'm paying for this terrible service? What is so curious is that it always (almost always) in the early morning hours. Then all of a sudden it's back to normal, maybe around 7am or later. What is happening at those hours to disrupt my service? Any ideas. I've tried resetting my modem but it may work for a few minutes, then back to that revolving red circle.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I contacted Fairpoint tech support this morning because I was having issues with my email and internet connection. The technician I spoke with was very rude and had a sexist attitude. He interrupted me several times, cut me off when I had a question and overall made me feel like I was bothering him. He gave me the impression that he thought I was an idiot for having called in the first place. I ended up telling him I'd deal with it on my own and hung up. Tech support- what a joke. Is blaming the customer their idea of customer service?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

0.81 Mbps download 0.34 Mbps upload. That's what I have come to expect when my service is working. I have to power the modem on and off 3 to 5 times a day. I have contacted Fairpoint so many times I have lost track. When I call, if I get through to someone I get passed off and off and off. Nothing happens. When I email I don't get any response. I have called to cancel several times and each time I get hung up on and nothing happens.

That seems to be a coached response to cancellation. It goes something like this... "I am sorry that you have been having a hard time, are you sure that you want to cancel? You could upgrade your service." I say, "no I have tried everything to get this resolved and I am done." "Ok I am going to put you on hold for just a moment..." 15 minutes... 30 minutes... 45 minutes... dial tone and repeat. I feel stuck, my service is really bad and I cant get it fixed as well as I cant cancel because I know they will hit my credit if I just stop paying. I feel like I am being stolen from. I work a lot and have my kids when not working. I just dont have time for this kind of thing. If anyone has some ideas that would help me get this taken care of I would love to hear them.

Original review: July 26, 2017

So last August me and my fiancee called Fairpoint to start what we thought was going to be their high speed internet deal of 7 mbps for 29.99 a month after we paid our $100 security deposit. Their customer service reps told us installation date was going to be a week away. Then said for some reason his computers sayin the telephone pole next to our house can only do 3.5 mbps so I would hafta get 2 bonded connection of 2 lines to get me to my 4+ mbps. For the mix up he sent us a router (Zyxel) for free.

When we got the router that following week the day before installation they couldn't make the appt. Rescheduled it 2 times before they actually installed our service and when they did install we found out the telephone pole outside hadn't been inspected in years and could actually had speeds over 25 mbps. Initially me and my fiancee weren't sure that the "bonded connection" was gonna be fast enough for our 2 cell phones, my son's tablet and streaming Netflix which that same customer service guy who signed us up ensured us it would be plenty fast enough for our 4 devices.

Days later internet's constantly needing to be hard reset unplugged router for 30 seconds. Restart it it would work for 10-15 minutes then needed to be reset again over and over. So we called Fairpoint customer service told them their technician said when he was installing our internet there's no reason we couldn't at least 25 mbps so they let us upgrade to HSL Ultra plan which is suppose to be 15 mbps for a total of 45.96 month. Foolishly we did it.

Issues stay the same if not worsened as we've had technician after technician come here at least once a month. Never did I get an $80 fee weird huh. Here we are year later problems still the same. So June 15th tech comes to the house tells me within our first 10 months we've had well over 400 hard resets which I didn't know. They could track how many times we've actually had to reset the router. He says it's because the free router they initially sent us is a bonded connection router. That's the only thing it could be other than my fiancee's windows 10 computer.

So still not fixed my year is almost up to get my $100 security deposit back. Now they started charging me $80 for the tech coming out and not fixing the problem. And I constantly ping my internet speeds it usually in between 6-8 mbps range occasionally. It's got to 9 maybe 10 mbps once and I'm paying for 15+ mbps. So I'm now waiting for a supervisor to call me as I instantly called them, telling them I refuse to pay $80 especially when the tech support guy didn't mention any charge for a tech to come here and they've already been here at least 5 times throughout my year with them and never was charged before and couldn't figure out why our internet keeps frequently dropping. So he wanted to send another tech out. I said "not a chance in hell." And now I hafta switch providers bc it doesn't work more than half a day every day.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have read some absolutely horrible review of Fairpoint and the quality of its customer service. While I too have been frustrated with how long it can sometimes take to get something working correctly, there are good reasons for this, and once you get the service, it is quite good. I live in a small mountain top community in Vermont. Years ago I used Verizon's landline for my phone service and it worked great. Then cell phones took over, landline became more expensive, so I switched to AT&T in-home wireless with a mini-cell tower attached and working off the internet (which I get from my old landline and from Fairpoint). That worked "okay" for a couple years and was quite inexpensive. Then, suddenly, it didn't work at all, even when I bought some more expensive equipment as a suggested upgrade. So, no phone. What's my option? Go back to the landline. Which I did, with Fairpoint, recently bought out by Consolidated Communications.

I phoned Customer Service and got a very reasonable quote, so went ahead. Then, plugged in the old phones, and nothing worked. Called back several times and was told different things about what could potentially be the problem. Took a couple weeks to get a techie out to check the line. Very frustrating. But, guess what? He was great! He spend over an hour going over all the connections, inside and outside the house, made adjustments and, finally, a dial tone! He was apologetic and polite and explained that he works 50 to 60 hours a week to try and keep up, and that summer storms have created a lot of extra work. The service dpt. is understaffed and must just do as much as is humanly possible. Now I understand why the wait.

Oh, and it doesn't stop there. After he left, soon after, I realized one of the phone didn't ring when a call was coming in. I called customer service again and got assurances someone would be back next day to check the system again. And, guess what, another techie showed up early the next morning, went straight to the offending phone and discovered the "ring tone" was turned off. Man did I feel stupid. He didn't rub it in. In fact he spent time explaining to me the many small things that can go wrong and to never hesitate to give a call anytime something isn't working. This guy too is working 50 to 60 hours a week and he was so good natured about it. So, I say, if you're going to give this company a bad rep, try also to keep in mind the "very good" people that work there.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I ordered internet service for my elderly mother. We paid deposit and all. They took 4 weeks to come out and hook up. The Internet didn't work so we called took another 3 weeks to come out. They then told my mom she needed to buy their phone service for internet to work that's why it's not working. That was a total scam to get her to order more services. So we hooked service up in August. No one ever came. They kept charging her. No data was ever used or phone service. She called to have canceled. They never did. So I called to figure out what's going on and they were so awful basic. Told me the worker scammed my mother into buying phone service. And they never credited her money back. I wish I read reviews before going through Fairpoint. They lied about so many things and all the stuff was in their own notes. So not customer friendly.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We moved to Vermont from Maryland. Trying to get service from Fairpoint has been a nightmare, even though the previous owners had the service. They claimed to need at least 10 business days to set up our service. I had to call to reschedule three times, since they kept moving our connect date back. Then they booked our connect date for a full 8 hours and at the end of the day, cancelled our connection, requiring us to wait the entire next day for service. These guys SUCK!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I requested service over two weeks ago, and explained the landline was to enable my 86 year old father's lifeline to work. They told me that it would take a week for the phone to be turned on; Due to the purpose of the request I requested that the service be turned on sooner --- the answer was an immediate "That's how long it takes". After I asked about why it took so long, and asked if it was just a computer transaction because I had service previously, I was dismissed and told "That's how long it takes". I was told I would have service on June 15.

On June 15 all I got was static. I was told I should have received some filters two days before the service was turned on. They said they would send the filters out. I asked that due to the nature of the purpose of the line if they could overnight the filters; they stated that they have no way to do that. I stated that I found that in this day and age that I find that highly unlikely, and they insisted that they had no way to overnight the filters. I asked to speak to a supervisor and immediately I was told that there were no supervisors available. I said, "Send the filters".

Here it is June 20. No filters and no service. I got a call from customer service and they asked me if I wanted my Internet speed upgraded (which I requested when I ordered the phone service). I told them of the problem and they said that I need to determine if the problem was inside the house or outside. In the meantime I said to schedule a technician visit to come out. They told me that the Tech would not be available until July 9. I again stated that the purpose of the service was to connect a lifeline for my father... They said that was the earliest available date.

This evening I did as the customer service agent requested and plugged the phone in the box outside the house to determine if the problem was inside the house or outside. There was still only static on the line when I plugged into the box. I proceeded to call customer service and they referred me to repair. Repair told me that there was nothing they could do because my service has not been turned on.

So by this time I had been provided a service of incorrect information regarding when the phone line would be turned on, that the filters would fix the problem by two different representatives, and then that a service call would be required to troubleshoot the line, and to check the line outside; wasting a significant amount of my time waiting on hold to get through various representatives and significant stress on my 86 year old father because during the 4 hours during the day he was alone he could not utilize his lifeline. This is a man who has had a stroke, heart failure and lost his wife in the last 8 weeks. But nobody at Fairpoint seemed to care that an elderly man needed to have his lifeline work! Tonight I call Fairpoint and they tell me my service is not turned on and it is not scheduled to be turned on until July 9.

Fairpoint expert review by ConsumerAffairs

FairPoint Communications is a publically traded company headquartered in Charlotte, N.C. The company offers television, Internet and home phone service in 17 states, with the most saturated areas in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Consumers can receive discounts by subscribing to multiple services.

• Infrastructure: FairPoint has invested over $900 billon in their infrastructure in the last decade and installed thousands of miles of fiber optic cable. The newer technology will be especially beneficial to customers who bundle home phone service with Internet or television services.

• Extra features: Depending on their location and the plan they select, customers may be able to get a variety of extra features on their home phone lines. Options include caller ID, three-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding and voicemail.

• Plan options: Consumers can select from three plans. The basic local plan provides coverage during power outages and a secure connection to 911. FairPoint’s long distance plan allows customers to call anywhere in the United States, U.S. territories and Canada for one monthly price. International plans can be added to consumers’ existing FairPoint long distance plans.

• Social media help: Customer service representatives respond to customers’ questions and problems on FairPoint’s Facebook and Twitter pages. Consumers can visit those social media site to see how the company handles criticism.

• Best for: FairPoint’s home phone service is good for anyone who wants the reliability of a landline.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs