1.20/5
  • 1 star
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

275 Fairpoint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have never in my life heard of a company that could use someone else’s voice authorization to sign another person up for something that could impact their credit. My mother in law thought it would be a good idea to get a discount on her internet by somehow linking it to my electricity bill. Apparently by getting my boyfriend (now husband) on the phone and her telling someone he had the authority (he didn’t even know what he was signing up for) on the account.

Months later, my now husband received phone calls for a collection. They told him it was for me but wouldn’t tell him what it was for although he supposedly gave authorization. They did not even have my phone number or know how to get ahold of me. Seems odd being that this would impact my credit don’t you think?

Long story short after talking to 3 people that made mistake after mistake telling me the balance was one thing and then calling me back and saying another balance etc. no one was able to resolve the issue. They charged me 2 early termination fees for something I never signed up for. I am an executive and will make it my business to pass on what a fraudulent company Fairpoint is and that they have beyond unfair business practices. This can’t come as a surprise being there are ample complaints online and a horrible rating.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We live in an area not serviced by cable broadband, and after having Satellite internet with another provider we needed something with more capacity and Fairpoint became available in the area. Unfortunately Fairpoint has been remarkably inconsistent and sporadic. I called several times one day to request help getting a reliable signal, and was told to cycle my modem. We do this now on a daily basis, at least 3 to 4 times per day. If I am working from home, I typically have to hard reset the modem between 10 and 15 times.

I called for a new modem, or some real resolution, and was sent a service tech, who came in the house and changed my "old" modem for a new one. I received a $90 service bill for this, which Fairpoint would not refund, even though they were coming to replace THEIR modem. Unbelievable. The company is phenomenally indifferent and careless. Our internet is still horribly sporadic, but when we call, we are just told there are service outages in the area and no info on when it will be resolved. If you have ANY other options, use them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We have had a landline with Fairpoint Communications and its predecessors for 45 years. Fairpoint Communications recently disconnected our landline because we were behind 1 month payment in the amount of $57.25. I would say that was a horrible way to treat a customer of 45 years.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have been experiencing frequent disconnects. They came to my house, gave me a new modem, sent me an email that they fixed the problems and today five days later, the problem has grown from 2~3 disconnects a day to 2~3 disconnects an hour.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I call them “FailPoint”... After looking on the web for a place to voice my continual dissatisfaction with them, I see I’m not the first to use that name. What can I say about this company? I live in a small town and they’re the only game in town for internet, so I’m stuck with them. Their service is really poor. I’ve had internet with them for several years and have gotten used to the necessity of rebooting my router AT LEAST daily, if not several times a day. I just had them come in a couple days ago to “upgrade” my DSL to the best they have available here - 12m up. It worked for a day and just dropped off the air again twice in the last hour.

The day of the upgrade they apparently made a chance at the NOC early in the morning - my service was completely out all day until the tech showed up to install the upgrade. In the process, he also managed to knock out my landline phone (also FailPoint provided) as well as somehow kill a circuit of my electrical - I’ve been without lights in several rooms for two days despite a promise that they were going to send out an electrician to fix whatever was done. (To their credit, they DID send out a second tech to fix the landline that the first tech had somehow disconnected).

I complained to the first tech about the need to reboot daily and was told that was “perfectly normal. It’s all computer gear - you should be in the habit of rebooting it every day. There’s errors on the line and they go into an error buffer. The buffer gets full and then bad things start happening.” Seriously? I suppose if I disconnect the line when that’s happening, all the bad bits spill out onto the floor and stain the carpet? I didn’t even bother to argue with him. He either doesn’t know what he’s talking about or was trying to BS me.

Sadly, I just retired from a career in network support - I can tell you, if the company I worked for provided the level of service I get from FailPoint, heads would have rolled. We were expected to provide 99%+ uptime. My suggestion: if you have an alternative for internet/phone/TV service - try them first. All cable companies have bad reputations - in my experience, FailPoint DESERVES theirs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fairpoint?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This company is extremely incompetent! I have had problems with my bill and have been told that they are correcting it, but we keep getting bills with the wrong amount. Now they are sending notices that they are disconnecting our service. I give up, just disconnect it and I will go with a different provider for data. Your service is horrible from the installation, which never was completed, to your terrible employees that cannot get their jobs done. I guess that I will need to contact the Missouri Public Service Commission to try to get this resolved.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I moved and took my service with me when I moved. Since then, which kind you was almost three years ago at about the same time every night the internet completely shuts off. It does not return for at least 12 hours. I have called 800 numbers, managers, representatives and no one helps me. My husband went to do a delivery close to our home town, a manager there and she stated she would resolve this issue for us. Well we called and called and she never responded back. Typical! So I have been paid my for internet for the last 3 years and only getting to use it for only 2-3 hours a day after I get home from work. I have contacted a lawyer at this point. I would like all my money back from this company for no service provided.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Crap phone service. In home service sucked too, hours on the phone none could help. Many hard resets on the modem, wouldn't send someone out to swap modem for 7 days so I bounced back to Comcast, Comcast is pricey BUT IT WORKS!!! UnFairPoint don't care about you!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have Fairpoint because it is the only option besides cable and satellite. I have off and on email problems (last time I lost my complete history of emails over several years). Sometimes it won't send. I watch videos at night and very often (most of the time recently) my wireless (I watch on Kindle) slows down to a crawl. It buffers so frequently it's not worth watching. On my desktop I can switch over to a wired connection. Not so on the Kindle. And I say to myself, I'm paying for this terrible service? What is so curious is that it always (almost always) in the early morning hours. Then all of a sudden it's back to normal, maybe around 7am or later. What is happening at those hours to disrupt my service? Any ideas. I've tried resetting my modem but it may work for a few minutes, then back to that revolving red circle.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I contacted Fairpoint tech support this morning because I was having issues with my email and internet connection. The technician I spoke with was very rude and had a sexist attitude. He interrupted me several times, cut me off when I had a question and overall made me feel like I was bothering him. He gave me the impression that he thought I was an idiot for having called in the first place. I ended up telling him I'd deal with it on my own and hung up. Tech support- what a joke. Is blaming the customer their idea of customer service?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

0.81 Mbps download 0.34 Mbps upload. That's what I have come to expect when my service is working. I have to power the modem on and off 3 to 5 times a day. I have contacted Fairpoint so many times I have lost track. When I call, if I get through to someone I get passed off and off and off. Nothing happens. When I email I don't get any response. I have called to cancel several times and each time I get hung up on and nothing happens.

That seems to be a coached response to cancellation. It goes something like this... "I am sorry that you have been having a hard time, are you sure that you want to cancel? You could upgrade your service." I say, "no I have tried everything to get this resolved and I am done." "Ok I am going to put you on hold for just a moment..." 15 minutes... 30 minutes... 45 minutes... dial tone and repeat. I feel stuck, my service is really bad and I cant get it fixed as well as I cant cancel because I know they will hit my credit if I just stop paying. I feel like I am being stolen from. I work a lot and have my kids when not working. I just dont have time for this kind of thing. If anyone has some ideas that would help me get this taken care of I would love to hear them.

Original review: July 26, 2017

So last August me and my fiancee called Fairpoint to start what we thought was going to be their high speed internet deal of 7 mbps for 29.99 a month after we paid our $100 security deposit. Their customer service reps told us installation date was going to be a week away. Then said for some reason his computers sayin the telephone pole next to our house can only do 3.5 mbps so I would hafta get 2 bonded connection of 2 lines to get me to my 4+ mbps. For the mix up he sent us a router (Zyxel) for free.

When we got the router that following week the day before installation they couldn't make the appt. Rescheduled it 2 times before they actually installed our service and when they did install we found out the telephone pole outside hadn't been inspected in years and could actually had speeds over 25 mbps. Initially me and my fiancee weren't sure that the "bonded connection" was gonna be fast enough for our 2 cell phones, my son's tablet and streaming Netflix which that same customer service guy who signed us up ensured us it would be plenty fast enough for our 4 devices.

Days later internet's constantly needing to be hard reset unplugged router for 30 seconds. Restart it it would work for 10-15 minutes then needed to be reset again over and over. So we called Fairpoint customer service told them their technician said when he was installing our internet there's no reason we couldn't at least 25 mbps so they let us upgrade to HSL Ultra plan which is suppose to be 15 mbps for a total of 45.96 month. Foolishly we did it.

Issues stay the same if not worsened as we've had technician after technician come here at least once a month. Never did I get an $80 fee weird huh. Here we are year later problems still the same. So June 15th tech comes to the house tells me within our first 10 months we've had well over 400 hard resets which I didn't know. They could track how many times we've actually had to reset the router. He says it's because the free router they initially sent us is a bonded connection router. That's the only thing it could be other than my fiancee's windows 10 computer.

So still not fixed my year is almost up to get my $100 security deposit back. Now they started charging me $80 for the tech coming out and not fixing the problem. And I constantly ping my internet speeds it usually in between 6-8 mbps range occasionally. It's got to 9 maybe 10 mbps once and I'm paying for 15+ mbps. So I'm now waiting for a supervisor to call me as I instantly called them, telling them I refuse to pay $80 especially when the tech support guy didn't mention any charge for a tech to come here and they've already been here at least 5 times throughout my year with them and never was charged before and couldn't figure out why our internet keeps frequently dropping. So he wanted to send another tech out. I said "not a chance in hell." And now I hafta switch providers bc it doesn't work more than half a day every day.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have read some absolutely horrible review of Fairpoint and the quality of its customer service. While I too have been frustrated with how long it can sometimes take to get something working correctly, there are good reasons for this, and once you get the service, it is quite good. I live in a small mountain top community in Vermont. Years ago I used Verizon's landline for my phone service and it worked great. Then cell phones took over, landline became more expensive, so I switched to AT&T in-home wireless with a mini-cell tower attached and working off the internet (which I get from my old landline and from Fairpoint). That worked "okay" for a couple years and was quite inexpensive. Then, suddenly, it didn't work at all, even when I bought some more expensive equipment as a suggested upgrade. So, no phone. What's my option? Go back to the landline. Which I did, with Fairpoint, recently bought out by Consolidated Communications.

I phoned Customer Service and got a very reasonable quote, so went ahead. Then, plugged in the old phones, and nothing worked. Called back several times and was told different things about what could potentially be the problem. Took a couple weeks to get a techie out to check the line. Very frustrating. But, guess what? He was great! He spend over an hour going over all the connections, inside and outside the house, made adjustments and, finally, a dial tone! He was apologetic and polite and explained that he works 50 to 60 hours a week to try and keep up, and that summer storms have created a lot of extra work. The service dpt. is understaffed and must just do as much as is humanly possible. Now I understand why the wait.

Oh, and it doesn't stop there. After he left, soon after, I realized one of the phone didn't ring when a call was coming in. I called customer service again and got assurances someone would be back next day to check the system again. And, guess what, another techie showed up early the next morning, went straight to the offending phone and discovered the "ring tone" was turned off. Man did I feel stupid. He didn't rub it in. In fact he spent time explaining to me the many small things that can go wrong and to never hesitate to give a call anytime something isn't working. This guy too is working 50 to 60 hours a week and he was so good natured about it. So, I say, if you're going to give this company a bad rep, try also to keep in mind the "very good" people that work there.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I ordered internet service for my elderly mother. We paid deposit and all. They took 4 weeks to come out and hook up. The Internet didn't work so we called took another 3 weeks to come out. They then told my mom she needed to buy their phone service for internet to work that's why it's not working. That was a total scam to get her to order more services. So we hooked service up in August. No one ever came. They kept charging her. No data was ever used or phone service. She called to have canceled. They never did. So I called to figure out what's going on and they were so awful basic. Told me the worker scammed my mother into buying phone service. And they never credited her money back. I wish I read reviews before going through Fairpoint. They lied about so many things and all the stuff was in their own notes. So not customer friendly.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We moved to Vermont from Maryland. Trying to get service from Fairpoint has been a nightmare, even though the previous owners had the service. They claimed to need at least 10 business days to set up our service. I had to call to reschedule three times, since they kept moving our connect date back. Then they booked our connect date for a full 8 hours and at the end of the day, cancelled our connection, requiring us to wait the entire next day for service. These guys SUCK!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I requested service over two weeks ago, and explained the landline was to enable my 86 year old father's lifeline to work. They told me that it would take a week for the phone to be turned on; Due to the purpose of the request I requested that the service be turned on sooner --- the answer was an immediate "That's how long it takes". After I asked about why it took so long, and asked if it was just a computer transaction because I had service previously, I was dismissed and told "That's how long it takes". I was told I would have service on June 15.

On June 15 all I got was static. I was told I should have received some filters two days before the service was turned on. They said they would send the filters out. I asked that due to the nature of the purpose of the line if they could overnight the filters; they stated that they have no way to do that. I stated that I found that in this day and age that I find that highly unlikely, and they insisted that they had no way to overnight the filters. I asked to speak to a supervisor and immediately I was told that there were no supervisors available. I said, "Send the filters".

Here it is June 20. No filters and no service. I got a call from customer service and they asked me if I wanted my Internet speed upgraded (which I requested when I ordered the phone service). I told them of the problem and they said that I need to determine if the problem was inside the house or outside. In the meantime I said to schedule a technician visit to come out. They told me that the Tech would not be available until July 9. I again stated that the purpose of the service was to connect a lifeline for my father... They said that was the earliest available date.

This evening I did as the customer service agent requested and plugged the phone in the box outside the house to determine if the problem was inside the house or outside. There was still only static on the line when I plugged into the box. I proceeded to call customer service and they referred me to repair. Repair told me that there was nothing they could do because my service has not been turned on.

So by this time I had been provided a service of incorrect information regarding when the phone line would be turned on, that the filters would fix the problem by two different representatives, and then that a service call would be required to troubleshoot the line, and to check the line outside; wasting a significant amount of my time waiting on hold to get through various representatives and significant stress on my 86 year old father because during the 4 hours during the day he was alone he could not utilize his lifeline. This is a man who has had a stroke, heart failure and lost his wife in the last 8 weeks. But nobody at Fairpoint seemed to care that an elderly man needed to have his lifeline work! Tonight I call Fairpoint and they tell me my service is not turned on and it is not scheduled to be turned on until July 9.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I may not have their internet in my name, but oh my god, if I did - they'd hear a lot from me. First off, our plan is their lowest plan. We're supposed to be getting 7MB, but as someone else said and I can verify by backing them up, I get 350KBPS. Does anyone at Fairpoint know what KBPS is short for? It's KiloBytes Per Second. Not Megabytes. Not Megabits. Kilobytes. Speedtest.net always reports to me that I'm getting 3MB but I never feel the speed when browsing or hosting a server or playing online gaming. This is pitiful speed to be under and it's incredibly unstable. Unstable, as in, during points of an online game, I experience frequent drops in ping. Because the connection cannot withhold multiple sources.

They advertise their speeds by rank. This is a company who doesn't understand where internet has gone in the modern age. Nobody simply has internet JUST for surfing the web. They always want to do other things, like stream or play online games. It's sad that a company actually has to advertise one of their speeds for the sake of casual surfing. If people wanted to casually surf and know that they're going to casually surf. They'd either get Dial-Up or rely on Wi-Fi. They do not sign up for monthly internet with the intent of casually surfing. 7MB by the way would get you fairly by with a little more than surfing, so why isn't it that you don't have a plan where it's locked at 768KBPS or something? That would be better for casual surfers. But you decide to deceive your customers by advertising internet speed you know the customer is not going to get. It's about as bad as buying a 1TB HDD and realizing you're still in the gigs, by 20GB off storage.

This is why you've got bought out and are merging with another crappy company who probably isn't going to be any better. Because you've failed, since Verizon left New England, to provide people with the "best" service you've boasted up and down about. You instead have made people have protests against you for unfair treatment, put customers through bad services and continue being a sub-part company. I won't miss you when you're gone, Fairpoint. Just like I never liked you when you came through the door the first day.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have spent hours on the phone with customer service and billing. Finally in April, decided to stop calling to try and fix terrible billing and wrong connection levels and contracts. So, I sent a letter on May 22, which I thought had worked, as I received two paper bills and one electronic bill, showing that all had been fixed and reinstated correctly according to the letter. They also accepted the electronic payment I had made.

Last night... Friday night at 10:30 PM, I received a voice mail message terminating service. Woke up this morning to no connection. Can do nothing as customer service not open until Monday morning. Was done on purpose on Friday night. I have decided to allow it to terminate and take a $150 loss in installation and modem costs. I will never deal with Fairpoint again...and have decided to use my phone as my connection. No added cost. I was unable to compare costs at the time of contracting in December as there were no costs showing on their website...only verbally with customer service. This is deceptive advertising. They are taking advantage of people who have no other alternative. Luckily, I do have an alternative.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have been a DSL customer of FairPoint since August 2013 until recently (canceled June 7, 2017). Up until March 2017, I was able to get decent DSL service from them — while there were occasional difficulties, I was always able to get my DSL up and working again with the help of their tech support. It was trying at times, but overall they managed to deliver 3MBPS download, 1MBPS upload. Moreover, during the period before March 2017, they never charged me extra beyond my normal monthly bill to get help from their tech support for troubleshooting my DSL — even when they had to send a field tech out to my home.

However, starting in March 2017 my Fairpoint DSL began to experience a mysterious frequent drop problem. The DSL would stop working for a couple minutes or so and then start working again for maybe 2 to 20 minutes, then randomly drop again, then come back on again for a short period; repeat this over and over. When I called their tech support, they first complained that I had too many devices on my DSL connection (and also that iCloud could be screwing things up since I have some Apple products… but that seems to be a cop-out answer to get you to give up and purchase a more expensive DSL service package).

To disprove that claim, I removed all devices except one connected directly to the back of their company-supplied DSL modem. Even with just the one device connected the frequent drops were still being experienced. At least a couple of their tech support people throughout March-May 2017 had me do ping tests showing that significant percentages of packets were being dropped even with just one device directly connected to the DSL modem.

Based on this, the tech support were then convinced that yes, there was a legitimate frequent drop problem that had nothing to do with the number of devices or iCloud or my wireless router (incidentally, most off my connected devices use very little bandwidth most of the time because they are things like smart light bulbs or smart electric sockets. In addition, when the DSL was working properly I could be watching Youtube and DirectvNOW at the same time while someone else was surfing the internet and all those smart home devices were all connected… The point is, when the DSL was working, which it seemed to be able to do at least 20+ days at a stretch prior to March ’17, 10+ devices did NOT kill the DSL even with the “slow” 3MBPS down/1MBPS up).

After tech support would agree to “escalate” my frequent drop problem to high priority, within 24 hours they typically got the internet working properly and got rid of the frequent drops. This happened at least four separate times in the period March ’17-May ’17 — once in March, once in April, and twice in May. Essentially, they were able to fix things somewhere in their network management without the need of a field tech, and the DSL would then work quite well for about 10 to 20 days.

Nonetheless, every time they would inevitably send out a field tech who would come to my doorstep and say they tested my lines and found no problems in their local box that connects my copper lines to their fiber optic network. Then would come the new billing period, and I would be surprised to see a special $80 labor charge for the work tech support did without the need for the field tech to supposedly have to roll his truck out to my home and find he had nothing he needed to do to fix my physical lines. When I called to dispute the $80 labor charge in March, FairPoint agreed to remove it/reimburse it. When the frequent drop problem occurred again in April, and I was again assessed a special $80 labor charge supposedly because the field tech came out to my home and found no problem to fix in the physical lines, I again disputed the charge and Fairpoint again agreed to remove it/reimburse it.

At this point, I had informed Fairpoint not to send out field techs since the frequent drop problem clearly had nothing to do with physical lines, and they were wasting their time and money sending them to my home every time. Nonetheless, when the frequent drop problem again had to be fixed in early May, FairPoint still sent out a field tech. Then again in mid-May, the frequent drop problem recurred with Fairpoint sending out a field tech who again did nothing since somewhere in the higher levels of Fairpoint’s network management they fixed the problem without having to repair any physical lines at my home. This time however, Fairpoint charged me two $80 labor charges in May, and now they were only willing to reimburse one of them. This last $80 labor charge was the last straw for me.

I was a loyal customer of FairPoint for nearly 4 years and suffered through their sometimes subpar service numerous times during that period. But the last 3 months starting in March ’17, their questionable billing practices and the amount of time I’ve spent troubleshooting frequent drop issues with them has driven me away. I highly recommend others steer clear of this company. Not only is their current internet service an ongoing headache, but they are dishonest in their billing practices. I shudder to think how many illegal $80 labor charges FairPoint is raking in currently and how many customers they are ripping off with such underhanded billing tactics. I finally canceled my service because I could no longer call tech support without fearing illegal $80 labor charges showing up on my next bill.

Moreover, FairPoint ultimately never explained to me how they intermittently fixed my frequent drop problem and why they somehow apparently couldn’t manage to find a more permanent fix for it. One last major point of contention is that when a company agrees to fix something, they should have to inform you beforehand what that repair is exactly and what it will cost (e.g., when you go to get work done on your car, the mechanic first tells you what he needs to do to fix it and roughly how much it will cost). In the last three months, FairPoint would just send out field techs unnecessarily and bill me for it unbeknownst to me until I got the next month’s bill (in the past, regardless of what they currently claim, FairPoint did not do this—in fact, I never got any unexpected labor charges when asking for tech support until March ’17).

Lastly, why is it that FairPoint sends out a field tech without informing the customer beforehand, and why do they do it when they should darn well know that they are able to fix the problem without having to send out a field tech? FairPoint is in a shambles presently in terms of corporate culture, technical capability, and operational/managerial function. And when they get bought out by Consolidated Communications as eventually it looks like will be the case, it is likely the same people will be there. Please do yourself a favor and get your internet from anybody but FairPoint, which may soon be Consolidated Communications. Don’t punish yourself by putting up with the immoral behavior of a company like FairlyPointless Miscommunications.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have caught Fairpoint trying to double charge my business numerous times and state that the previous month of service wasn't paid when it always is. They also tack on these random charges for no reason so I have to call to inquire and have them removed. Our monthly business bill is NEVER the same, they are always trying to charge us for something extra, it is horrible!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I was given wrong info, they sent me a new modem and scheduled a tech. to come check line and setup new modem. To make a long story short, tech never showed up. I called and spoke to three rude customer service reps. Asked to speak to a supervisor. Still have no resolution to my issues. I have spent hours dealing with this horrible company.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Fairpoint's service is appalling. The internet is often at a snail's pace and when it is, my landline phone functions poorly. I've spent so much time on the phone with them since August 2016. Their people are friendly enough, but the result is always the same. SLOW internet speeds. I've filed a complaint with the FCC which they took very seriously and acted upon right away but my troubles are back without a response from Fairpoint. I will file another FCC complaint if I do not have a technician here today. My suggestion for prospective consumers? Get satellite. Fairpoint is a waste of time. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Fairpoint Classic out of Palermo, Maine. $53.00 monthly for 2 x 768 is what was described to my 71-year old mother in law when she called to have it hooked up for me. I called today to find out exactly what that was to be told, "OH that is 2 megs!" For $53.00 a month??? I was told they have no intention of updating anything or adding anything to speed up the lines and that our address is 15,000 feet from the device that would boost speed. There are no other providers in that area unless you count Time Warner Cable/Spectrum who want $12,000 to run their line the 2700 feet to our house from the neighbor's house at our cost.

If you go to Fairpoint's website they don't even offer speeds this low. And at the lowest speed they have they certainly don't start off the prices at $53.00 per month. Now I know why I always hated Fairpoint and got rid of them and I would not get them now if it was not for the fact that they are the ONLY provider in the area! The government needs to deal with things like this so people can work from home and their children can work on their educations from home in the rural areas more!

Original review: April 26, 2017

I would like to give these guys 0 star. What a horrible company. No customer service. Treat their customers like **. No no no service want to steal money from customer. Bunch of nonprofessional people always trying to get free money. I swear the government has to stop giving these people full control and monopoly over areas. After 6 months I'm still dealing with problem for my business. Worst company ever. Watch out and be aware.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I paid them in full then they tell me I owe them two bills after it was paid on 3/18/17 and they said I would get 7GB. Tech came out 6x then it 2 and that’s the best they can do but pay for 7 that not right. Gave me 47.00$ credit then from 72.00 the bill went to 151.00. This should be look at and they’re merging with some other ** company.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have been connected to Fairpoint DSL service for over 3 years on a 4Mbps plan. As far as a cheap ISP, they fit the bill perfectly. Beyond that I'd advise other ISPs if possible. Poor service in Londonderry, NH. In my area the modem/router shows an attainable rate of over 12,000 kbps (12 Mbps) and line rate of 3300 kbps. Generally speaking the best reliable connection speed lies somewhere between an average of 1.2 Mbps and 2.7 Mbps. LESS THAN 1/3rd OF THE "up to" 4Mbps service that they CONSISTENTLY BILL FOR. While performing speed tests the numbers are ALWAYS inconsistent.

To make matters worse Fairpoint has sent out a notice of an increase in charges without an increase in service!! Bottom line, if you have other ISPs available in your area stay away from Fairpoint. Service is spotty at best, you get billed for services that aren't up to par, better attainable rates are there on the line but according to Fairpoint those rates are "unavailable in your area". Hope this helps others.

Original review: March 20, 2017
Proceed unbelievable. Too high. Way too high. Bad wifi service. $187.00 monthly bill. One phone. Slowest Internet. Drops all the time. Bill very confusing.

Monopoly mafia. Unbridled greed and sloth. Deceptive billing practicing.

Original review: March 9, 2017

3 years and approx 50 (problem) calls later, we're finally getting an upgrade... I'm extremely pessimistic that this 7 meg upgrade will be worth the extra 15$ a month, on top of the already 83$ a month I'm paying but I'm out of options and patience. After 7 o' clock most streaming is unwatchable, with the exception of Netflix sometimes, and it takes days to download a game. I wouldn't hesitate a second if there was an alternative, but there isn't!... On top of the (glorified dial-up) they call "high-speed", the customer service is dreadful as well... A family member (who lives 3 miles from me) pays the same price and pays for 15 megs. I'm sure there's a technical reason for this (even though nobody at Fairpoint has been able to articulate why for whatever reason) and I don't have any other option. So unless you've exhausted all other options I wouldn't recommend Fairpoint as your internet provider.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Fairpoint needs to be shut down. I moved from Morrisville Vermont where I had Comcast to Barnet Vermont where I have Fairpoint. Comcast was Great. Fairpoint is the worst company that I have ever dealt with. I moved into my new home here in Barnet December 1, 2016. My phone line has been fine. The internet and Broadband are so bad that after 6 PM at night they are so low that I can't do a speed test. I call constantly. Their customer service is rude and very uninformed. I am paying for a service that I am not getting. They are robbing me!!! I really don't know what to do. Help!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I've been a Fairpoint DSL customer for 4 years and I've been happy with the services they provide, it's just their billing that causes problems. I've been extremely busy at work and have all my accounts set on automatic payments so I don't have to worry about paying bills. Fairpoint has stopped taking the automatic payments on 3 occasions. One was understandable because it happened after I got a chip card. On the other 2 occasions there was no reason for them to stop. The 1st time they said they don't know why it happened. This time they're saying they show no record of automatic payments since 7 months previous and yet my bills were being paid automatically until 3 months ago when they stopped charging me. I have 6 other accounts with automatic payments set up and this has never happened with any of them. I never knew it would be so hard to get a company to take my money.

Fairpoint expert review by ConsumerAffairs

FairPoint Communications is a publically traded company headquartered in Charlotte, N.C. The company offers television, Internet and home phone service in 17 states, with the most saturated areas in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Consumers can receive discounts by subscribing to multiple services.

• Infrastructure: FairPoint has invested over $900 billon in their infrastructure in the last decade and installed thousands of miles of fiber optic cable. The newer technology will be especially beneficial to customers who bundle home phone service with Internet or television services.

• Extra features: Depending on their location and the plan they select, customers may be able to get a variety of extra features on their home phone lines. Options include caller ID, three-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding and voicemail.

• Plan options: Consumers can select from three plans. The basic local plan provides coverage during power outages and a secure connection to 911. FairPoint’s long distance plan allows customers to call anywhere in the United States, U.S. territories and Canada for one monthly price. International plans can be added to consumers’ existing FairPoint long distance plans.

• Social media help: Customer service representatives respond to customers’ questions and problems on FairPoint’s Facebook and Twitter pages. Consumers can visit those social media site to see how the company handles criticism.

• Best for: FairPoint’s home phone service is good for anyone who wants the reliability of a landline.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs