Sony Mobile

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had purchased a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium mobile here in Qatar on June 2016. Soon after 2 months the head jack having a problem, I tested with the other headphones also but headphone port in the mobile was not working. And just a week back on October 2016 the chrome back cover has been cracked from my pocket itself (not fall down never).

So I decided to repair both the problem together. And I know that back cover cannot be replaced under warranty. But I need to get the head jack problem resolved under warranty. But the Sony Service Centre the supervisor informed me that I cannot get the head jack problem resolved as it happened because while the back cover crack formed. And I swear that both the problem is different and crack happened just a week before. And head jack problem is since two or three months before. So as he denied the service I decided to go to the Customer Protection Department here in Qatar. And I registered the complaint as well. So please do necessary action to resolve then I can withdraw my complaint. Else no one knows where the problem will reach its destiny. And I am sure that back cover nothing to do with the head jack.

I bought my Sony Xperia Z5 brand new in November 2015. By April 2016 I had already started having issues with my phone. Straight after updating my phone with the new android 6.0 software, I automatically began experiencing faults. First my camera stopped working, then my web-based apps started crashing and then wouldn't load. My phone kept freezing. I got in touch with Sony and followed their advice to do a software repair using pc companion. After doing that, it just made the problem worse. My screen went blank and my touchscreen stopped working so basically left my phone completely useless. Sony then asked me to send my phone in for repair. Other than the technical issues I had with the phone after the update, there were no other issues or damage to the phone. I took very good care of it, never dropped it, never put it in water, always kept it in a case, not even a scratch on it.

10 days after sending it in I get an email saying that there was a crack in the screen which voided my warranty and quoted me £164 to have my phone repaired. I called up and questioned how there was a crack in the screen as I sent it in, in perfect condition. They told me they would escalate it and their managers would "look into it" and get back to me with a decision. Surprise surprise. They came back with the decision that I had damaged the phone. Therefore I had to pay for its repair. So although the only reason I sent it in for repair in the first place was down to their own software issues I still had to fork out for the repair of my device. So I get my device back, all seems fine, however within only 4 weeks of getting it back the same issues occur again. First my camera stops working, then my web-based apps, and then again my touchscreen stopped working and my screen went blank.

I have been told I can send it back off but due to the damage to the phone when I sent it in the first time I would need to pay for it to be repaired this time also, even though I disputed the fact that I had already paid for my phone to be fixed and clearly it hasn't been, not properly anyway. Otherwise the problem wouldn't be persisting! In my opinion, Sony are con artists. If I could put less than one star I would - Will never purchase anything from them again. Amazes me that they are as big a company as they are with such terrible products, service and customer service - STEER WELL CLEAR!!!

I am in Tanzania. Sony was my first smartphone. The last two weeks I bought a new Sony Xperia Z. I just used it for 14 days and it power off and won’t power on till one. I went to the shop I bought it. At first they refused to take it thinking I made it not to power on. Later the phone seller took it and it's 3 days now no feedback of if the phone will work on again or not, if I call them they don’t pick up the phone just stay quiet. I don't think if I will go for Sony product again.

My new Xperia C4 stopped working and I called to Sony they asked me to send phone to repair center (as phone is in warranty). I sent my phone and I did not get any reply from SONY. When I called them they said "your phone is still under testing and keep calling us for status." :-( After one month when I called (I was calling after every alternate day) he said "we found the problem but we cannot fix it and so we are sending your phone back to you." It is the worst service I had seen... Never ever will buy any Sony product... If I have option below one star then I'll go for that.

If I have option below one star then I'll go for that. My experience Sony is very bad, it's never happened with after Samsung, even Micromax service is very nice or Samsung also not suffer me like that. Sony is worst. I went to Lajpat Nagar-II, Delhi. I asked them about my phone. They said 10 days & more. Ok then I said after that I asked them substitute some multimedia phone, because I can't switch off my number, & still my numbers are switched off & I suffer a huge loss too, within 5 hours... If you don't satisfy the customer then you have to shut your shop.

They even don't bother for customers. I don't know how cheap Sony is going these days. First time problem happened with my phone but it's fine - this also a product it's happened some time, but with Sony customer, & I also suggest to all don't go with Sony. You must have better options to HTC, Apple, Lenovo, some new smart phone, at least they are not so expensive - after one year you can buy a new one if they stuck. Hua!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Based on the suggestions of my friends I bought Sony Xperia c3 for 20000 as my first smart phone. It worked fine for 1 year without any issues. My warranty got over, after three days all of a sudden my mobile got shut down and never restarted. I took it to the authorized service center and they said it's due to motherboard issue and took 6700rs/- from me and replaced with new motherboard. This bloody mobile worked fine for 2 months and started bothering again. It shuts down automatically, battery discharges quickly and one fine day it stopped charging also. Finally it shut down completely and never raised again. I took it to the same service center. They again said it's motherboard issue and said "warranty for motherboard is for 3 months, you have to pay (6700rs/-) for the new motherboard replacement." I am done with this stupid ** of SONY. I am ready to file a complaint against Sony in the consumer court. I want the justice.

I bought a Sony Z5 premium phone online. The phone was advertised by Sony to say it was water-resistant (1m underwater). When I received the phone the screen looked unusual, having shiny stripes (did not look normal). The phone at times was unresponsive when typing in the keyboard. The phone was placed upside down in the shower (going by Sony 1m underwater). The phone's screen stopped working. I sent the phone back 6-7 weeks ago.

Android Enjoyed were unable to find where the location of my phone was. I am very unsatisfied with the customer service. I only received an email confirming the phone status on the 25th of July. Android enjoyed stated because there are scratches on the phone they are unable to fix it free of charge. I surely know and believe the scratches have nothing to do with the LED screen.

I owned an Xperia Z1 tablet for about 3 years. It was brilliant. I loved it and it lasted so long because I always used it on a stand and I take very good care of my things but after all that time the charge port wore out which was gutting but I had got enough use out of it so was acceptable really. I looked for a magnetic charge cable but Sony don't sell then so I looked for the charge cradle instead but for some reason everyone wanted £150 for the Z1 cradle so in the end I decided to just get a Z2 tablet and like before I always use it on a stand, I always put it away in a safe place, and I live alone so nobody else has ever touched it.

One day I get it out and it won't turn on, won't charge or anything. The tablet is only 6 months old and totally mint condition, not a mark on it, never been dropped or even gently knocked. I read to hold down the buttons to reset it but this didn't work. I keep trying on and off for 2-3 weeks and kept trying to charge it but nothing. I explained everything to Sony and asked for a full refund. They said no even refusing to refund me in vouchers only to spend on Sony products so I can buy some of their older products that actually work. They said they will repair or replace if it's under 12 months old and if I send my original receipt. I told them that I had lost all trust in the device and didn't want a repair just to have it happen again in 6 months when it's out of warranty but they gave me no choice so I posted it to Sony.

Luckily I already didn't trust them so I took loads of dated pictures of the tablet in perfect condition all over every inch was perfect and took pictures stage by stage of wrapping it in very thick bubble wrap and had someone witness me packing it. A few days after posting I get a letter saying they have received my tablet but there's a bogus description describing it as marked pretty much all over and very light scratched screen then about a week later I get an email with a quote of £120 to fix totally made up problems like the screen is "tinged yellow and green but still functions" for a headphones jack various adhesive stickers and a bit of plastic trim for the righthand side. They haven't charged me for labour but they have for parts so I paid £350 for a premium product and I got total rubbish that lasted less time than a £40 tablet and now because after less than 6 months it just stopped working.

For no reason they want another £120??? I'm on a very low income (Carer's allowance) and had to save for a long time to buy the tablet. In the first place surely they can't get away with being so criminal and don't they know the difference between good business and bad business? They should just refund people. If I trade on eBay and the customer is not happy I will refund them. So god knows why a multi-billion pound company like Sony can't act with the same morals and decency. Anyone with half a brain cell would agree and could see that my tablet has never been bashed or dropped and I have pictures to prove it.

Don't buy Sony mobile in your life forever. They are sold worst mobiles. They are cheating customers like Sony phone are waterproof and dust proof. I purchase Sony M5 on 16 April 2016. With two months of purchase phone was submitted to service Centre 3 times for the issue of dust in rear camera lens. Still problem was not resolved. The service center people's not responds for customers' concerns and even customer service representative also not respond properly. They told our superior person will call back in 48 hrs but till I am not getting call from Sony. Sony mobiles is the 3rd class mobile manufacturing company in world and Vigneshwar Sony service center is the worst service centre I never seen in life.

After only two months of owning a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua the phone suddenly malfunctioned and was completely unusable. It was sent to Xperia repair facility in IL. They promised that the phone would be repaired or replaced and would be return by a maximum of 14 business days. After 16 business days of no phone and no response, I called customer service and asked for a status update. I was told the phone was still a "work in progress" but that more information will be requested from the repair technician and provided to me in 2-3 days. After this 2-3 days, I still had not heard anything and called again. This has continued for a month.

I have called over 8 times and spoken with supervisors that have flagged the case as "to be expedited" since it was well past the maximum 14 business. Each time I call I am only told that it is still a work in progress and that there is no other information. I have asked to speak with the repair facility in IL, but that is not possible. In fact, the customer service call center (located in the Caribbean) is even unable to call the repair facility in Illinois. I imagine that facility has a phone in the building, but seemingly no one knows the number to it...

They still have my cell phone and refuse to send me a new one. They also claim that there is nothing else that can be done to get more information about the phone. Each time I call I am told that I must wait just 2-3 more days to get more information. This is such horrible customer service that it is shocking out of a major brand like Sony.

NEVER buy a Sony cell phone. It will likely malfunction and worst of all, if it does, you have literally no chance of getting it repaired or replaced or even speaking with someone who knows anything about the phone. There is zero accountability for failing to withhold their policy of "up to 14 business days" and no oversight of any higher level managers that can be contacted.

I have a phone problem and contacted Sony support. The phone was still under warranty when I first contacted them, but I never got any response for months. When they finally replied my request, was told that the phone is out-of-warranty. It's their fault for not replying in time, and now they claimed it is out-of-warranty. Shame on Sony Xperia for such shady and fraudulent warranty practices.

I have been using Sony Xperia phone ever since I started using Smartphone but anytime I get a problem they don't help me. Currently they don't want to fix my phone for me because I don't have my warranty available. The phone is not powering up. I have followed all the instructions they gave me to fix it but it was futile. I need help because I don't want to spend another bucks on another Xperia phone... Please I need help. I want the manager to email me a label.

I complained to the BBB because Sony lied to me continuously about the fact that they: "had no more repair centers in the United States" and now they sent me a free shipping label; however turnaround time for the repairs are 14 BUSINESS DAYS! What the heck? Seriously it takes you 3 weeks to repair my phone! Take your business elsewhere! Consider yourself warned.

My Sony phone is really amazing. It's very reliable. I lost my first Sony phone and when I bought a new one, I didn't have any second thoughts of choosing Sony again. I'm very satisfied with this product. I have tried others but I think Sony is better. I think it's the best for playing games and taking photos. I also love the battery life. It lasts longer compared to other brands like Apple, Samsung and BlackBerry. Really great product!

I LOVE SONY! The camera is perfect! The design is gorgeous! I love everything about it. It's my dream phone. I was very happy when they introduced the waterproof phones! It was a brilliant idea to create a phone that is waterproof. People can use it even when it's raining or they're in the shower or at the beach or anywhere where there is water. No need for those waterproof casings or bags.

I have been a Sony Z1 Experia user for 2 years now. In fact, a Sony user for the past 6 years coz I've had old models prior to Z1. So far, I've been happy with it and I'm most happy with the camera, given that it's waterproof too. Since I love travelling, my Sony has been my great companion in capturing the beauty of the different places I've been through with its unique people and their rich culture. They have excellent megapixels. In fact, at this point, they're still at par even with the latest phones that comes out. I can even live with it for 2 more years.

However, the cover for the compartment for charging got loose. And, due to my last underwater stint, water somehow went in thus affecting the charger. It went dead. I can't use it underwater anymore and I can't use my phone at all since I can't recharge it any longer. So far, it's being secured by a tape so as not to totally fall out. Since I can't charge it, I honestly thought that would be the last I'd use my phone. However, as per my brother-in-law's review of the specs, the good thing about the phone is that it has another option to recharge the phone. There's a magnet charging area at the left side of the phone. Still unsure if it was indeed the solution to my problem to be able to use it again, my brother-in-law just ordered the magnet recharger cord online.

Three days after, we received it and tried the charger. Lo and behold, it worked and I'm still enjoying my phone up to now. I'm still able to use it but wouldn't dare use it underwater anymore, just so it'd be safe. At this point, I'm really happy with Sony. However, I would like to try Samsung or LG the next time I'd purchase. But just the same, I'd still compare specs before deciding in the end.

I've had my Sony Xperia for almost 3 years and have never had a problem. It takes awesome pictures and I don't need to recharge it every day like the iPhone I used to have. I even dropped it a couple of times, once in a pool, and it still works. Just had to restart it and it's like brand new. Won't hesitate to buy another Xperia when this one gets broken.

I bought a Sony xperia m4 aqua. But I was dissatisfied with its performance and display colours then suddenly I compare its 13mp camera with 8mp of Lenovo a7000 and I was stunned that lenovo was better. I went to the service centre the very next day and they were giving the very foolish reasons but at last they were convinced to make a DOA for my phone and I got a new set in next 2 days but unfortunately the next set has the problem of network - it didn't catch the networks properly.

I told the executive about it but he answered me that "it is the initiation your phone." Will catch the network soon but I have to again in next 2 days as problem was not solved and this time again they told me that "there is a problem with your sim card not with the phone." I suggested her to check herself by her sim and she faced the same problem then they again submit it for almost next 15 days - clearly they used my phone more than me and I feel like I am using a second hand phone. I am seriously disappointed with it. If it is possible I want my money back.

I bought a Z3 Compact which is a "waterproof" phone according to their marketing material. Even the warranty state water damage is covered if ports are closed and not submerged in 1.5 M water for more than 30 minutes. Initially, they stated they would need to run a water resistance test, which would prove if I left open the cover or not. Fair enough, but they didn't run the test, the repair center just opened the phone and saw water damage (which I already stated when I opened the ticket) and sent phone back un-repaired and damaged the frame when they tried to pry it open.

They blamed UPS for the damage of course. Bear in mind the rest of phone still looks brand new. Hmmm... UPS bent the frame, but managed to not crack the screen or put a scratch on anything else? What a lie! I called several times and the "supervisors" are useless. Never returned a call when promised. Blamed UPS for additional damage. Couldn't provide test results for water resistance test, but insisted I left ports open. Now I'm just left with a expensive brick that is worse off than when I shipped it to the repair center. Last Sony product I ever buy and I have spent over 50K on Sony electronics.

I've had issues with my phone connecting to a wifi so I sent it to Sony for repair, I then had an email to say the phone is damaged around the power button and before they can repair the phone this needs to be done at a cost of £56. I did state the phone was in perfect condition when I sent it but they are not having any of it. Any ideas what I can do next as I'm certainly not paying for damage that I've not done.

Maybe it's because I've became comfortable with the Sony Xperia UI as my excuse, but I'd had no less than four (4) Sony Xperia phones, that for the most part have needed to be replaced just after the warranty expires; for NO FAULT in my use of these devices. Specifically: X10 - 13 months normal use, then woke up with a brick, no indicators, no display and no support; Z - 16 months normal use, woke up with another brick, after the device lost its settings for no reason; Z1 - stolen, before warranty expired... thankfully (10 months in). I feel for the thief--their loss; Z2 - 15 months normal use, device recently manifested with spontaneous shutdowns, energy level confusion... Now in a permanent OS reload cycle, after no ability to "repair" per PC companion, or recover saved backup after re-imaging attempt; charging device now only just loops between display of Sony logo for 0.1s, before shutting down for 10s; POST repeat.

Sony's best answer: "We can charge you another $25 to tell you that you have another brick" (by design) that I will have to pay to replace again... Goodbye Sony. It's been interesting, but not an Xperience (Z5 or Z6) that I will waste another $800 on again.

I received a Sony Xperia Z5 as a Christmas present from my daughter and son-in-law. On playing around with it and wanting them to see the sights at this time of year in my city I decided to go shoot a video of the city centre. To my dismay the camera refused firstly to focus on any pics I took so I abandoned that and decided a video would suffice. Alas that was also not to be, the camera would not follow my hand as it moved around the scene. I went home and tried on the phone for updates only to be informed that the phone had the latest updates.

Now according to Sony this is their flagship model though it isn't the premium one I would expect stringent tests had been carried out on these units. Now as far as I'm concerned I live by the old adage that when you buy something new and it goes faulty within the guarantee period then you've bought a dud. I have now to go through the system Sony stick with where I lose the phone for 10 business days possibly for a minor correction which is for me unacceptable. I would prefer they replace the phone and send me a complete new unit that is of course tested and working.

I am a huge Sony fan with many of their other units in my home, tv, mini hifi, blu-ray player etc. This is the first time I have had any problem from any unit and I am not a happy chappy at all. The present was a huge surprise but this episode has left a bitter taste. I will report back on repair time especially at this time of year, New Year coming up and more holidays but I wonder what compensation they'll give me???

Resolved.

Ross of Shrewsbury, Other on

Original Review

I have owned my Sony Xperia Z3 since December 2014. Since I have owned it, it has been set back for 6 repairs. The repairs have been poor quality and very slow. Faults have included dust in the camera, headphone jack breaking and the back not being attached properly. I have also had to pay almost £160 to rectify the common issue of the phone bending in my pocket (a quick Google search will confirm this) even though this wasn't my fault.

The final nail in the coffin of this phone was being quoted almost £300 to fix it for water damage, despite the fact it's a "waterproof" phone. This happened during a wet day at Wales Rally GB. However my friend's iPhone which was stored in his jeans pocket is fine despite a soaking, whilst my phone which was stored in a waterproof jacket pocket and taken out for a few photos ended up full of water. The phone works really well but I cannot recommend it due to its terrible reliability, and Sony's even worse warranty/customer service, which is by far the worst I have ever experienced.

I bought a brand new Sony Z3 from a telecommunications provider shop 3 months ago. I had the choice of a Samsung or the Sony and I took the Sony because I liked the slimline design. After 3 months the screen broke without any reason and it definitely wasn't dropped. I have a protector cover on the phone, but it hasn't ever been dropped. I had a new screen installed at my cost and within 6 hours the screen was cracked again?? The phone was stored in my pocket. Again I went and had the screen replaced and within 8 hours it was cracked again. Yes this sounds like a story, but this is 100% true.

Tomorrow I'm taking the phone to a technician at my expense, to see if the phone is bent or why the screen keeps cracking??? Also my power on/off button squeezed into the body after about 3 weeks so it now stays on all the time. Today I registered with Sony Australia the complaint so let's see if we even receive a reply. To all who reads this, I should have learned from the failure of my previous Sony Z2 but it seems the Z3 is a lemon also. Lastly if ever Sony tell you their phones are waterproof, DO NOT BELIEVE IT. They are not even rain resistant. I would recommend you tell all your friends never to buy a Sony mobile. My friends with Samsung's seem to never have any issues.

The first time, the phone was charging. It was half way through upgrading the android OS when it asked for me to charge it, as it was below 50%. The hairline crack, of the kind others have reported, appeared during this process, rendering the phone unusable. The fact it was stuck on an upgrade and asking for a charge proves it was not damaged by me. Yet their repairs department still claimed it was not a design fault. I had to argue on the phone for hours, send emails and a letter before they agreed to pay.

18 months later - now - it has happened again. This time instead of 185, they want to charge me 225. I have so far spent over 3 hours arguing with their support people. The crack is identical, although this time it did not happen whilst charging, so presume the flaw relates to temperature. The phone gets extremely hot, particularly when using GPS.

I have a Sony Hi-Fi, smart TV, and tablet; but I won't be buying any more. The final Escalations Manager I spoke to said there was no evidence at all of Sony Xperia Z2 screens cracking of their own accord. Basically calling me a liar. He claimed that the noise on the Internet and via the TV is the same for any phone. Whilst on the call he said he typed in 'iPhone cracked screen whilst charging' and got lots of hits. I did the same and got pretty much nothing - 'charge' was related to the charge in money someone had paid. Whereas, change the term to 'Sony' and you get a very different picture. If there is legal action, or anything else to make these complaints heard, then I would like to take part, as I have good evidence from at least one of the times this has happened that it occurred whilst the phone was Sat charging.

From the very first day I had a worst experience with this handset of Sony. I used so many handsets but this was really uffffff... I want to complain of sony company in consumer forum... Please help me to complain.

For my birthday, last year, I was given a Sony Xperia C. It was the purple one. I was initially happy with it 'cause I got to use two different sims for different networks. However, that changed after a few months when I encountered several issues with it. Let me mention the things I liked about it first. The color was a given. The back camera and its auto focus feature was great. I can't say the same about the front camera though - too grainy for me. The screen size was just right since I enjoy watching movies and streaming shows using my phone. I love the battery options especially the standby mode.

Now comes the problematic side. Aside from the front camera having poor quality, the 1 GB memory was also a big issue since it does not allow apps to be moved to another memory. It said it does, but it doesn't really. That's why, every now and then, a notification would appear stating that the internal memory was full. This was not good for music, video and game heavy apps. Froze a lot too. Served me well though. Unfortunately, will not be buying another Sony phone anytime soon.

I recently purchased a Sony Experia T2 D5322 Phone. First the positives -- It has a large screen that is easy to see and read, plus a 13 MP camera. So as a camera it is pretty good, though if I wanted a camera I could have bought a better camera for $120. Firstly the call sound quality and volume is so poor that it is difficult to use the phone without loudspeaker. I made 4 calls to Sony Customer Service and went through hours of following their instructions which only resulted in losing my text records and phone settings. Still no fix!

To attempt to remedy this I have bought 3 different Bluetooth devices, 3 of which the Sony phone would not connect to at all. The third worked well until the phone OS was updated. Then the phone would connect to the Bluetooth temporarily but after a minute or three on a call the sound quality on both sides of the call would break down to become inaudible.

The Bluetooth manufacturer replaced the Bluetooth but the same problem occurred. I bought another Bluetooth device from another manufacturer but that wouldn't work either so figured that it must have been a problem with the phone. I asked Sony to check the phone on warranty as it was only a couple of months old. The Sony technician returned the phone without fixing it and charged me $60!!! That's what they call service.

I bought a Sony Xperia Z3 from my local 3 Store under a year ago. I was initially very pleased with the handset. Well, I wouldn't expect anything less after paying through the roof for a top of the range handset from a supposedly good company. I was disappointed when, out of the blue, the screen on my phone stopped working. I would like to point out that there are no visible scratches or cracks on the screen, it hadn't been dropped etc and the phone itself was still vibrating, receiving calls, charging etc but the screen was just completely black. After a quick google search, I found that this is a common problem with these phones. Confident that, as it is still under warranty, the fault would be rectified by Sony without any hassle. Instead I have received a quote for £100+ to fix the non existent external damage. Disgraceful service. I pay good money for a 'good' handset. I expect to receive equally good service. Complete joke.

I have bought Sony Xperia Z3 from Reliance Digital. I got a problem with my phone. Its mic need to be changed. I am absolutely ok with it. But as I have putted my Z3 for repairing in the service centre of Sony in Nashik, Maharashtra 422003, they have told me that they will give my phone in 3 to 4 days. And as I went again today to ask phone, they are saying it will take 10 days at least just to change the speakers. Really??? I mean they saying they are sending it to Pune. Really, they need that much time. If company can't claim me a good service why is it taking so much of money from me. And mine is TOP MODEL. Buying top model, its again a poor service then why one should buy SONY mobile anytime.

And you know what's the cherry on a cake is they are not even giving me standby phone for my use as I am putting my phone with them, such a bad and worst policy of SONY. I have talked with customer care too. Even customer executive saying it's ok if they are not giving me standby phone. Just don't buy SONY PHONES at all as its THIRD RATE SERVICE. Who will give me compensation against my loss of work as I just don't have any phone with me. Sony people are liable. Expecting just a simple smart standby phone against my 41000 rupees is of course natural. And Sony has to give it or arrange it from anywhere. They cannot run away from their duty. Even if Sony is unable to resolve my problem I am totally ok to complain against SONY in CONSUMER COURT. My phone is in warranty. Phone number - **.

Sony Mobile Company Profile