Consumer Cellular

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been trying since 6/9 to get my number transferred and phone activated. I have called CS several times a day to be told this process will be completed in two hours. 4 days later I am put on hold for 30 minutes at a time. I don't know how else to contact the support team and they don't seem interested in correcting my issue.

I left Verizon because of high rates and customer service issues. AARP endorsed Consumer Cellular so I wrongly as it turns out, felt confident that I could get good service at a decent cost. WAS I EVER WRONG!!!! THE PHONE IS VERY SIMPLE for a smart phone. The customer service is condescending and NOT helpful. When my "unlimited" data went over 5 gs they ARBITRARILY cut my data speed drastically! I started a SECOND PLAN NOT A SECOND LINE, mind you, for my mobile hotspot, being told and fully expecting the 2nd plan would be at 5 gs. Nope! It was at 1.6 gs. I ended up paying more money for much less service!!!

I initially signed up for Consumer Cellular because of the low cost. As time went on, I found myself being double and sometimes triple-billed for a no-frills plan. I even referred a friend to Consumer Cellular and got a month of free service, only to be double-charged again! I do not recommend this company at all. Please, if you're reading this, consider other prepaid plans, such as TracFone. I have used them before and am using them again.

Avoid Consumer Cellular like the plague... Horrible people and on the central coast no reception. No contract my and somehow I ended up paying for multiple months with a phone that had no service.

If I could give ZERO stars I would. I've been through two smartphones in less than six months and you have no idea what an enormous inconvenience this has been. Last, but certainly not least, I am an asthmatic and must have an available phone. I cannot count on Consumer Cellular.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Cellular?

After paying for service for a friend for a year or so I attempted to cancel as he got a better service which actually worked in the area he lives. It was not cancelled and they continued to send bills and would not work with me sending a meager $26.97 rather than immediate pt. which I paid for the friend. For a company who claims to be the best?! Be sure to pay on time. Don't have extenuating circumstances such as being laid up and then trying to get special consideration. Believe me they don't care and will use pressure tactics and in my opinion want to make the money on charges accruing rather than being understanding of your issue! User beware!

1st of all, Consumer Cellular is rated as the number 1 best cell phone service available. They use the AT&T network antennas. Service area is fantastic. Customer service is as good as the wonderful Amazon.com. I adore Consumer Cellular. I plan to use them for the rest of my life. I have been with them for about 5 years after using other providers, such as Verizon. I had problems with both of those companies. Consumer Cellular is the least expensive, no contract. You can change your plan monthly or even during the middle of a month. With AARP membership, you get a discount that makes it even cheaper.

I recently went online to my bank website and paid $56.00 to Consumer Cellular. In a little days my cellphone service was stopped. I looked up Consumer Cellular billing and seen where I was 4 cents delinquent so I went to my bank website and sure enough I shorted them by .04. What a company. As soon as I can find a good carrier I am leaving.

I had a cell phone from CC and I could not keep it charged whether I used it or it just sat on the desk. The taxes were so high and were higher than the amount of time I used the phone. Just can't afford this kind of crap. The cheapest phone I have found is from Walmart at $30. & $2. for taxes a month and I can use my own phone no more taxes and I always know what my charges will be and I just call and add more time each month. Love it! I feel bad that CC is cheat us seniors the **. My Attorney General was no help either. I won't be voting for him for gov.

I recently cancelled my Consumer Cellular (CC) service since I only used it if I misplaced my main cellphone, as I live alone. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I now have a roommate and no longer need the CC service. When I called to cancel, I asked them what my final bill would be. They told me $3.50. That's what I paid, $3.50, at the next billing cycle. The next thing I know I get a past due bill for $30.70. Since I only had basic service when I was using CC, I couldn't imagine how that was possible, so I called them. Have you ever tried to call them??? It's at least 30 minutes hold time and if you've cancelled your service you no longer have a phone number which is required to continue the call. It took 3 days, I don’t know how many calls, a different person each time and at least 30 minutes hold time every time. They don't have direct numbers so when you call back you have to go through the same rigmarole every time.

I thought I had it resolved. I paid $20.70 (more than I thought I should) on the phone and the CC person told me that the $10 late fee was waived due to the misunderstanding and what the first person told me about the $3.50 final bill. Today I get an email payment confirmation saying I still owe $10. Sooo, I called back again, 30-minute hold time, 3 different people; one who talked over me all the time and the manager I asked to talk with. They assured me I had a 0-account balance. I wanted someone to tell me "in writing" that my balance was 0, since the last thing I had, in writing, said I still owed $10. They said that was not possible. Their system didn't let them do that. That's when I asked to speak to manager. He wasn't much more help and not a lot more pleasant. It seems that, if I wanted confirmation in writing that I had a 0 balance, I had to do the work.

I had to send an email (I had to ask for the email address; it's not on the website) requesting the information and they would reply back. I sent the email and immediately got an automated reply (it was mostly advertisement)... stating they received my request, they will look into it and in 5 business days I will receive an answer. In my email, I strongly suggested they re-look at their policies and system to make them more customer friendly. Why is it that any information the company should provide is on the customer to do all the work? CC received a prestigious customer service award! Why??? I know this because while you are on hold for 30+ minutes, they tell you that over and over again. Ironic, isn't it? If they spent as much money updating their systems to provide better customer service as they do on those stupid commercials trying to hook seniors, they wouldn't have so many bad reviews! If I could give them 0 stars, I would.

Avoid this company like a leprous **! I use my iPhone primarily for internet access and text messaging. Half the time when I tried to get internet, I'd get a screen saying "service not available" or "can't reach Google" or some such. Every time I tried to send a text with picture attached, it wouldn't send. Unsatisfactory. I went back to Verizon.

Contacted Consumer Cellular customer service to see if there was anything they could do for my Samsung J3 phone that I purchased from them. I turned it on yesterday and got only about a quarter of the screen and the rest of the screen was black, except for the occasional greenish stripe. I just started using this phone on May 3rd and have really barely used it at all except for a couple of text messages. I checked this phone out online and found out that this is a common problem with this phone.

Chris at CC that I talked to said that they could send me a replacement phone and I could send mine back to them, but if it was broken I would have to pay another $100 + tax for the replacement phone. Of course it's broken or it would be working!! I've decided to do what I should have done in the first place, and what I would advise anyone considering Consumer Cellular to do, and that is go to Walmart and get a phone with unlimited talk and text and far less headache than this!

My husband died. They still demand to speak with him! Apparently, this company is above the law. I've told them being there is no estate, no probate, no assets after my husband passed, they insist he still owes the money for their services. I didn't call them the moment he died either. My daughter died the day of my husband's funeral. My mind was not on Consumer Cellular. They insist I must pay them, if my late husband refuses... a direct quote... I swear.

I've read the law to them. They said they don't care, I need to pay for my late husband's service. It is a minimal amount, but it is now a matter of principle. They are harassing my cell and home phone. One rep said who cares if they are calling. They are not hurting anyone. I explain it is painful explaining this repeatedly. She said to have my husband pay the bill then. I told them 7 times to stop calling my home or cell number. If they need to talk with my husband, call his cell number with Consumer Cellular and if they get a hold of him... my life for over 40 years have him contact me... along with my daughter because I would like to talk with them myself.

My husband purchased a Moto G4 back on December 2016 for my birthday. On May 1, phone gave me a "no sim card" message, therefore, unable to make or receive phone calls. I called cc and they were able to fix the problem. Approx. two days later the phone stopped working. I couldn't turned the phone on, it went completely black. I called cc twice for over an hour each time with no results. They made me go through same troubleshooting each time. My husband called twice for over an hour each time with no results. It took my husband to finally said, "You either send me a new phone or I will cancel my account with you."

I received the new phone four working days later (5.11.17). I activated the new phone over the phone, but interestingly enough, the phone gave me the same "no sim card" message. Again, unable to make or receive phone calls. Called CC and they made me go through the same troubleshooting and after an hour they told me to go to Target and get a new sim card. I did go to Target, total waste of time, because they were unable to do anything other than get on the phone with CC. I came home and called CC they got me doing the same troubleshooting. This time was a Master Reset, needless to say, did not fix the problem.

Called CC again the next day (5.17.17) talked to the tech support rep and asked me to do the same troubleshooting all over again and did not fix the problem. At this point, I asked her to overnight me a new phone. She said they don't overnight phones. I asked her to put the supervisor over the phone and she did. Supervisor was asking me to do the same troubleshooting as previous. At point is when I lost it and asked to send me a new phone overnight. She told me they don't overnight phone. So, two broken phones later, 2 1/2 weeks later and still no phone. They are sending me a new phone. It's extremely disappointing, to say the least!!!

Overpriced, confusing, and when I went to cancel - I feel like I am paying for 2 months of crappy service to cancel my service? I've tried to call and talk to customer service - don't waste your time. They are like a recorded message - "you owe two months' payment and we will never agree with you". Don't care if you are cancelling your crappy service - "pay us for what looks like two months of service that you aren't using." Disappointing. Don't bother with Consumer Cellular - go to Boost - cheaper plans with more gigs.

I pay bills via check and Consumer Cellular, unlike the rest of the modern world, permits payment by check only if you call them rather than doing it online. Each month time is forced to be wasted because of this stupid system. Since virtually all vendors now accept echeck payment as an online option, there is no plausible

reason Consumer Cellular cannot do likewise, nor can they explain WHY they refuse to do so. This is a monthly reminder that "customer service" via Consumer Cellular means you waste 15-30 minutes every month trying to induce them to put an actual person on the phone so that you can PAY YOUR BILL. Ludicrous.

Was told I could keep my present phone number. Bought a new phone and was told by two different people that I was connected and the phone was working. I could call out but all phone calls came into my old phone. They never transferred my number from my old account. After many more calls to your helpline and waiting on the last call for forty five minutes, I got the same answer from the person on the other end that everything was working just fine. I had enough and then to make things worse I started to read all the complaints about your company. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

I found out about Consumer Cellular through my AARP membership. I reviewed their plan offerings and switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular. I have a landline and the highest use of my talk plan is whenever I go out of town or when I am working my seasonal job from January-April. I guess I have been with Consumer Cellular for ten years and have gotten others to switch. In the beginning they had a $9 (approximate) talk plan, one for 500 minutes and one for 700-750 minutes if my memory serves me right. I think I chose the 500 minute plan. Occasionally I would move my plan up.

NOW, they are offering the basic $9-$10 plan. The next one is 250 minutes, and then it jumps to 1500 minutes. It is an advantage to being able to move to the next talk plan before the billing cycle is over, if it looks like you are going over, but to pay for a 1500 minute plan in which I will rarely use that minutes in any given month is a "ripoff".

Had no plan agreement. Was just paying monthly. No longer wanted service so did not pay to renew monthly service. However they continued to bill without consent. I no longer wanted service and I did call to let them know. They continued to bill as if I had service. Taking advantage of seniors. Place it on my credit. Totally unfairly done.

My wife and I have been a customer for over one year. Have Moto phones. Use them on a very reasonable basis. My wife received a notice that her data was about to exceed the allowable amount. It was the 2nd day of the cycle. She had already used 75% of our data. Found out that on 4/21 the data usage spiked 2 gig in one day. Called CC. Told them to look at our usage history. Never used that amount of data. Something was wrong. CC said nothing they could do except shut down data for the rest of the cycle. We agreed. Later that night we reviewed our activity on 4/21. NO way we did anything to affect our data to that extent.

Called CC next day, ask for a supervisor. Explained our problem, our history of usage. Ask her to reset our data, since CC or us could figure out what happened. She said she couldn't do it. I told her if you can stop my data, you can resent it as well. "Sorry", she said "can't do it and have a good day." Felt like she told me "to not let the door hit me on the way out". This is first issue we have had with CC. I had the feeling that they will just listen and move on. Well that is the feeling I have is to just move on. There are a lot of companies that would love our business. And I also did business with CC because of AARP.

This company totally deceived me when I started a relationship with this company. My purpose to begin service with Consumer Cellular, was to save money. It has proven in 3 short months it was a lie. I am disabled and on a fixed income and now I am paying more. Almost 2 more than with my previous service, had I known this I would have never agreed to start with your company. I plan on reporting this to the BBB, and any other company I can to let it be known this company is a fraud.

This company runs one of the biggest con games ever!!! I never saw a bill of $25 or less no matter what I did!!! I finally gave up and cancelled and they charged me twice for the last month which I refused to pay so they started adding $10 a month until they got the bill real high and turned it over to the credit bureau!!! It hurt my credit and I don't know how I can protect myself from this very large dishonest company!!! I am a senior citizen and all I can say to everyone who reads this, go with Verizon. They are only $30.00 a month with everything you do!!!

I called Consumer Cellular to ask a question my bill. Spent 1 hour and 35 between 5 phone calls not to talk to anyone. Until finally Loura answered my question. I told her they need to credit bill got having to wait that long while on hold 1 hour and ten minutes a recording over and over. What great customer service they have. What a joke. Nielsen rated#1 and another outstanding award. I have only received such horrible service in Peoria was Comcast. Their service was their same horrible. Then asked to speak with supervisor Tiana. Nope she couldn't credit my bill for wasting 1 hour and 35 min on hold. Is that what they’re rated #1 for? I'll be making a call to The BBB. I have never given my ** to a company that doesn't care to take care of their terrible service.

Last year I lost the ability to send photos and worked with Consumer Cellular over many phone calls to restore the function by adjusting their protocols. Last fall I lost the function again and was not able to send photos. I received a new iPhone this week, purchased from Consumer Cellular and do not have the ability to send or receive photos. I have spent hours on the phone with them and Apple and still cannot send or receive photos. They are going to send me another new phone and I know the problem will not be resolved. The customer service reps don't have a clue how to resolve the problem and the supervisors are not any better. If the new phone doesn't work, I am going to bit the bullet and change carriers. This service is not a bargain if it does not work. I have also complained to AARP.

I called Consumer Cellular to inquire about switching from my current provider, and was told I was qualified to receive first 5 months of their $15/month plan for free, which would more than make up for the cost of the new phone I'd be required to buy to switch. I was also told that service coverage would be no problem at my home location. Neither of these promises were kept. Even returning the first phone and receiving a second one, I still have no ability to use the phone at my home, and the battery of the phone goes from fully-charged to dead in 48 hours of standby. When I received my first month's bill, the promised credit wasn't there. I called and was told that not only was I misinformed about the amount of the credit (it was only $10/month for 5 months, not $15), but that they rescinded the credit, as the person made a mistake and it was discovered later on that I wasn't eligible for the credit after all.

I asked to speak with a supervisor, who told me she'd take care of having the $10/credit reinstated, but who called me back later that evening. She called me back to say she was also mistaken, and they could not give me the $10/month credit after all. This is clearly an unfair business practice. Not only was I charged more than I'd agreed to, but they waited until after the 30-day refund time had expired to let me know they unilaterally changed the terms of the agreement.

My husband and I switched to Consumer Cellular. They mailed us the sim cards. All seemed fine - NOT. We put the sim card in each of our phones, went online to activate and the text would not go through to the phone. So per the instructions I called. Everyone is very nice, but I had to call over and over to find out our phones were turned off, because Consumer Cellular took the phone numbers and then could not get the service to go through our phones. We were trying to save money - it has cost me a lot of money to get our service reinstated where we came from and a lot of aggravation to say the least. They knew the type of phone we had and the serial numbers, so in my opinion they should have known if they could not activate it well before all of this started. It is now 4 days and I hope I have finally got this all resolved.

I wanted to switch over to Consumer cause I don't use my phone as much but I had problems. I couldn't get pictures when people sent them. So I called and they told to get another phone. Total of phone was three three and it still didn't work on getting my pictures and message.

My family and I have been with CC for 8+ years and I recently decided to try out an Apple product and bought my first iPhone through CC. Knowing how fragile iPhones can be, I bought AppleCare+ and immediately got a screen protector. I was excited to get it as quickly as I did, as it arrived just in time for me to take a day trip out of town. I figured it could make it one day without a case, and I'd buy one from Apple as soon as I got home. Unfortunately, before I could do that, the phone slid out of my lap and the back camera cracked. It was disappointing to say the least, but things happen. I called Apple and told the truth (which, after this experience, I learned is a foolish thing to do. Honesty is NOT the best policy here, folks) to which they replied that the camera lens could not be replaced and I'd have to pay $99 for a new phone.

Now this is where it gets really interesting. I've had this phone for all of a day. Never in my life have I had an Android device break this easily. I am having severe buyer's remorse, and I no longer want the phone. I haven't even really gotten to use it to find out how I feel about it. I call CC to see what I can do about a return and am told that damaging it voided the warranty, which makes sense. I tell them I'm more than happy to pay the $99, replace the damaged phone, and return the brand new one. But once again, since the serial number is different, the warranty is now voided. So I say ok, I'll replace it through you guys, pay whatever fee, and return that one. But again, no, they can't do that, all repairs and replacements go through AppleCare+.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the situation at this point. I'd had the phone for all of a day, no longer wanted it, and am now being told that I can't even pay an extra $99 just to get them to take it back. So I ask if I can just leave, since they're "no contract". NO. NO I cannot leave for six more months, at which point the phone will be unlocked. So there goes their "no contract" policy. I am not getting a special deal from them, I am paying for the phone in full on a payment plan. I could have done that through Apple, or any other cell phone company, but I went through CC because I have been a loyal customer and I've always found their customer service to be excellent. Until this.

I have spoken with customer service reps and supervisors. The primary account holder has spoken with them as well. We are not getting any resolution to this and I am now told that after two days of having this phone, which I absolutely do not want any more, that I am stuck with it until it is paid off in full, and that I am stuck with CC for another six months on top of that. This has been a disappointing experience and my family and I are looking to find a new service provider elsewhere once my six month CONTRACT with CC is up. What a shame, after nearly 10 years of being with them. Guess that's what happens when customer service comes second to $$$.

Their ad is very deceiving. I took the lowest rate to test out their services. My bill was always more than $10. They tell you what you get for $10 but charge you overages and there was no cap. Then what's the point? I tried to cancel, took me an hour with incompetent, uncaring sales reps to do so. There is no value. There are several other cellular carriers who want your business. I'm very happy I left. Don't waste your time.

This is the worst company I have ever done business with. For over four months I called their tech support department in an attempt to get the 2 Samsung J3 phones I bought from them to work. Each time I was told to do something different than the last time. On one occasion I was on the phone for 5 hours. The "fix" worked for a few days, then it was back to square one. After this I closed my account and sent the phones back and asked to be refunded the money I paid for the phones.

When I called to find out what was happening with my refund I was told that it was being "processed". The next time I was told that my refund was being processed in Billing and that I should be getting a credit to my charge card in approximately 3 weeks. After 3 weeks passed I called and I was told by a Supervisor that I would not receive a refund because 45 days had passed. When I said that Consumer Cellular should give me a refund because they did not provide me with the ability to use my phones when and where I wanted to. The bottom line is do not do business with Consumer Cellular. Go with a company that has people who know what they are doing and has a store that you can go to if you have a problem. I am now paying more for my cellular service but I am not complaining because I always get good service and they appreciate having me as a customer.

Consumer Cellular Company Profile