1.66/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Consumer Cellular

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

731 Consumer Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Cellular reception with my long term carrier Verizon had deteriorated so much that I was forced to switch carriers. Since Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's towers, it was my logical choice since my neighbor with the same phone had no problem using AT&T. First brought my wife's number over to Consumer Cellular and purchased her a new phone iPhone. There was no problem transferring her number, no longer had dropped calls, and her Consumer Cellular service was trouble free.

After two months, I brought my number over to Consumer Cellular and again the transfer was fast and trouble free. There is no contract with Consumer Cellular so you can change to another carrier at any time. Their billing is straightforward and cost is half that of my former Verizon bill. The only problem I can see with Consumer Cellular is that you must wait as long as 15 minutes before talking to a customer service agent. There is a call back feature offered by Consumer Cellular customer service, but I have never been called back when I attempted to use this service. Considering the cost and features I would recommend this company to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Bought a phone from Consumer Cellular (Doro) 3 months ago. With 12 month warranty. It is now unusable but they will only honor warranty & exchange if the phone is in UNUSED - PRISTINE CONDITION! Which translates to NO WARRANTY AT ALL. Unless of course, you keep the phone in the box since you bought it... RIDICULOUS. Glad it was only a $50 phone and not one of their iPhones at $600. BEWARE!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I am retired from the military. About a month ago I was coming out of our garage and fell on the steps and demolished my phone. I notified Consumer Cellular and they sent me a replacement phone. The phone has not worked right since. I contacted them and was put on hold for 45 minutes--claiming they were busy with other customers--**. Then when you email them they say they will return messages within five days. Again **. I would not trust them to walk my dog; they would screw that up also.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I saw the commercial for Consumer Cellular and thought It sounded really good about saving money. I was in for a shock! This company is the biggest ripoff, they overcharged me, and then I was forced to pay or they ruin your credit. Do not use this company, or they will rob you. You pay for that supposedly free month! RIPOFF.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

When inquired about a Consumer cell plan for my area I was told yes coverage was there. Turns out I had no coverage. Upon deciding if I should keep the iPhone I purchased I was told YES it would work elsewhere... NOT. I paid 120.00 to have it unlocked told them I wanted to go with Net10 THEY TOLD ME where to buy the SIM card needed for Net10. I bought the card and of course it turned out that the iPhone 6 I bought from them was one of two iPhones that will NOT WORK ON NET10. I asked for a refund... But of course that was my problem not theirs. They are not well informed at all and I ended up paying for it. I would steer clear of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Cellular?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Decided to go with CC because my other carrier was getting expensive. Big mistake! We have had nothing but issues with coverage, texting, you name it. What's worse is their customer service is useless. That is, when you can finally speak with someone. The only good thing is I can cancel anytime. I am seriously considering doing just that.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

After reading everyone else experience I don't know why mine would have been any different. Consumer Cellular is promising that they will take care of my mother's dead phone problems. We will see. They are very good at passing the problem onto everyone else but them. We get it. Your phones are throw away but for whatever reason you think it's ok that every 4 months we can spend $52.00. Like our parents have disposable monies. It's time to care about your consumers or sponsors should drop you!! I'm waiting to hear your response to my mother issue. If not the credit card company will be notified to be put into dispute. Our time is much more worthy!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Was getting a new phone. Have been with Sprint for years. Got an ad in my email for Consumer Cellular so I thought hmmm. Price looks good. Had a few questions so I started a chat at or around 1:30 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. The chat was never answered so I called the phone number they gave. Said call wait time was 15 min or I could chose option to be called back. Would be phoned back in ten to 15 min. That was over an hour ago. Still waiting. If this is the way they do business I don't want it. Just warning others.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I had Consumer Cellular service for two years. The first phone I purchased from them was a Moto E, which never worked right. I also had lousy reception. I fell for the "Easy Pay" program and purchased an iPhone 6s. Turned out the phone cost me way more than it would have, if I had bought it from Apple. They told me it was an "Unlocked Phone". Well I attempted to resell it only to find out it is a "Consumer Cellular Phone". It's not a regular unlocked I phone. Was told it's not worth anything.

As if that wasn't bad enough. This summer I went on a road trip, to view the eclipse. Once I got out of my area, I had NO reception! I couldn't make calls, or receive calls. So for the two weeks I was traveling, I had no phone service. When I got back I called them, and their only reply was, "We cannot guarantee service in all areas". I evacuated, for Hurricane Irma last month. Same thing! Only this time, people were trying to call me, and got a "this customer is unavailable" message. People thought something had happened to me! I could not call them, they could not call me. I did have service while driving through some parts of Mississippi, but that was all. I cancelled my service. They billed me for another month of service, claiming it was for the previous month, then sent me a final bill for another month of service! What sheisters!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I was lured into Consumer Cellular as an affordable alternative to contract cell service. After more than a year of paying overages and poor customer service I left them. They advertise toward seniors, and although I'm on the younger age of that group, I recognize that the amount of data they offer is vastly insufficient for those in my age group. If you have any relationships and converse or text regularly with family and friends it isn't nearly enough. And making matters worse is the arrogant attitude their "customer service" reps took about the company never taking suggestions to increase their available data packages. I tried hard not to leave them. I've since found a provider that is both more affordable and offers a vastly greater amount of data. I'm writing this to warn others to not fall for the advertisements that paint such pretty pictures. Look into the data, service areas and attitude of the company to respond to their customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My husband and I both have had nothing but problems with our phones since May! We purchased this plan and phones in Dec. of 2016. Since May we have not been able to receive calls which has really cost us quite a hassle!!! Somehow our bill keeps getting higher and higher, yet we cannot use our phones except for our unlimited text plan!!! This is really a ripoff!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

When I decided to change my landline I decided to switch to Consumer Cellular, whom I had recently switched my cell service to. I received a letter from them when they sent my wireless base that told me in big, bold letters to NOT contact my present service; that they would handle it. They NEVER told me that it might take quite a long time. So five days later my old service billed me for another month. I emailed them and was supposed to get a reply in no more than five days. DIDN'T HAPPEN.

When I called them, the rep said that it was my previous carrier's fault. When I asked for a supervisor, I was on hold for over 20 minutes. When she said that unfortunately sometimes it takes a long time to port over, I pointed out that nowhere in the letter did it say that this might happen and I should be aware of that. She just said that they couldn't offer me a refund and there was nothing I could do. Now I have paid twice for my landline this month. And they made it very plain that they didn't care. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Bought a phone and plan for my 74 year-old mom. The phone would not place calls and said "no network detected" in the middle of Seattle. I called customer service and three times was told to hold for a representative. No hold music, no estimated wait time, just silence for 8, 3 and 5 minutes. I then emailed customer service and was told to expect a response in "5 business days." I'm canceling the service and I recommend that anyone looking for a competent provider to look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

When I signed up for Consumer Cellular I said "great, lower cost," however, try and get a hold of ANYONE in "customer service"!! I got the Doro flip phone and it is a piece of junk... Does not ring when I'm sitting next to it [and someone said they just called!!]... CONSTANTLY running out of power [find that I'm charging it Always!!]. I have tried calling C.C. and the wait time is over 30 minute - more like 35-1 hour - which is Ridiculous. I"m about ready to switch carriers as, although the rates are low, it is very frustrating trying to get ahold of someone when you have a problem with your service.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Purchased a phone for my Mother who decided she didn't want it. Called within 5 days of ordering and cancelled order, they gave me a return label to return the phone. Returned phone and thought I was done. Started getting a bill for $2.24 for a phone that was never even activated. Called to try and get the $2.24 charge reversed and they say they can't help me because account is in my Mom's name but they didn't have any problem charging my card the money. Guy on the phone said the account was never "closed" although they did email me a return label. If I was returning the phone you would think they would know to close the account as there are no other phones on the account. They finally closed the account because there was no activity, duh they had the phone back. I really don't have time to sit on the phone waiting for them to call me 2+hours when they said 10 minutes to get no resolution from them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

While quite happy with the service and the phones themselves, the support has fallen off the cliff. I was switching to their wireless home phone base from my previous carrier and having problems. I have been a member for years and used to get a human within 3 minutes, and sometimes immediately. Now I get the "We are currently experiencing high call volume and up to a 15 minute wait" mantra along with option to have them phone back or actually make a call back phone appointment. Very impressive... until hours and then days go by without any call back. Their online support states they will get back to me in 5 DAYS! That's not support. That's giving them 5 days head start to run somewhere and hide.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

CC was very nice to sign up quick and easy. It ends there. They sent sim cards for our iPhones. They arrived 4 days later. Instructions to insert sim card no problem and call 888.750.5519. Hold time 15 mins ++. They called back 21 mins later and could not get one of my phones activated. Matt said he would place me on hold to have someone else check the phone.

After holding for another 16 mins I heard a quick busy signal. A hang up. Called back 4 more times each time the same thing. On the sixth call I asked him to call me back if we got disconnected like the last 5 times. He said no problem he would call back. Got disconnected and waited 14 hours and he never called back. Now the next day started early in the AM 8:12 to call. Same thing waitlisted and no one calls back. Wanted to speak to a Customer Service Rep. No way. Just was told I had called from this number before and they would place me in the queue for a callback. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE customer service. I just want to cancel at this point and go back to ATT, but can't get through to anyone to help. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This past weekend my daughter and myself found ourselves with dead phones suddenly. It was the last day of the billing period and my bill is always paid on time and was indeed paid in full. When I got to my email Consumer Cellular had sent me a mail stated I had suspiciously high phone traffic on my phone so they shut it off so my bill would not be high. But in actuality when we contacted them they simply wanted us to increase our pay for $10.00 and then they would turn the phones back on. This company is so desperate they are dangerous. Now I have to go back to Verizon for our safety.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I've changed my settings 3 times with Consumer Cellular support and if I'm not at any Wi-Fi the phone is dead weight. People can call me but when I call out it just tells me Emergency Calls only. When I said I may get another phone they was more willing to sell me one. BS.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My husband and I subscribed to Consumer Cellular about 2 years ago. Everything went well until my cell phone ceased to work. It was beyond the warranty, so I asked to replace the Motorola at my expense. The representative volunteered that an inexpensive Samsung as better phone at a little less the price. CC ads say "ask our representatives about phones..." The phone worked for about a month, then folks I called couldn't hear me. Well, it was just more than a month so I could not send it back for another phone. Rather, I had to go through a whole sequence of troubleshooting ending with a hard reset which then required that I reset up the phone. It worked for a few days. About a week later, (well it was 8 days later) I called to tell them it stopped working. I was told that because it was more than 7 days later, we would have to go through all the troubleshooting, including another reset again. Did it. Still didn't work. Got a new phone.

I was told that the reps didn't like the phone I was sold - it was a terrible phone and that I should get a Moto 4. I asked how to return the phone I had and was told that someone would call and explain. The explanation was that I owned the useless phone I had owned for 2 months and had to pay for a new phone. I got another Samsung instead. Then received a call and was offered a one time chance to return the new phone. The new Samsung phone worked and I thought to be cooperative. Left the new phone in the rain. Uh Oh. Used insurance (not Consumer Cellular) to get another phone from their warehouse.

New phone worked for about 2 weeks. They tell me that the offer to take back the Samsung was a one time offer and now they can't take it back and credit me for the lousy $100 I paid for it as I would like to buy a $300 phone and don't want to have to pay for this one too. The Rep told me they "can't do that". No, they WON'T do it. I actually would not have minded if they said they WOULD NOT do anything. I might have switched carriers anyway, but that's life. Instead, they lied and said they COULDN'T do anything. I may be old, but I'm not stupid. Don't mess with an old Smithie.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Happened to stumble across ConsumerAffairs ratings for Consumer Cellular while doing an unassociated search. I felt compelled to reply. We started with Consumer Cellular 20 months ago; started with 2 phones, added a 3rd line. We have noticed over the past 20 months that Consumer Cellular unilaterally increased our talk minutes and data cap without increasing our monthly payment. We also noticed that in the past 6 months, CC increased their plan to include options for international calls (you can now get international roaming and keep your phone and SIM while traveling internationally) which they didn't offer 4 months ago.

When we've called, service has generally been friendly and timely. I didn't feel "scammed" as I did with Sprint (> 12 years service) or with 2 other companies when we switched to Consumer Cellular. While no company is perfect (their website could be a little easier.), we have been happier with Consumer Cellular's service (and lower rates) than any other provider we've ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

In August, we decided to move our two cell phones and phone numbers to Consumer Cellular. I called Consumer Cellular on August 15th, 2017. I told the representative my husband and I wanted to move our phones as well as our phone numbers. I told the representative the names of our phones and asked if the phone were compatible. She stated they were and all she needed to do was send us sim cards. I called Consumer Cellular Customer Support on August 22nd. The gentlemen tried to help us for about an hour on the phone.

Both my husband I were very frustrated so the gentleman scheduled us an appointment at Target, 2701 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC for 8:00 p.m. The young lady there also tried to get the sim cards to work. She, as well as the representative at Customer Support, told us our phones were compatible with Consumer Cellular Services. I was told I must have the sim cards in the phone incorrectly. I was again set an appointment at Target, 1475 University Drive, Burlington, NC for August 23rd at 4:00. The representative at Target tried to put in the sims cards.

The Consumer Cellular representative called Consumer Cellular Service to explain the situation and the type of phones we were trying to connect to the sim cards — my phone was an Apple iPhone 4S and my husband a Samsung Galaxy 3S. The Consumer Cellular representative told the representative at Target the phones were not compatible. I then spoke with the gentleman on the phone and asked what Consumer Cellular was going to do to make this right. He said they wouldn’t do anything since they gave us no guarantee. I stated to him that no one said specifically that we were guaranteed, we were told all along by Consumer Cellular representatives that our cell phones would work with the service and we could keep our phones. We made numerous calls and two visits to Target to get service connected. To get Consumer Cell Service we had to buy new phones.

We were deceived and abused by Consumer Cellular. They have deceptive practices and shouldn’t be pulling in cell phone service until the customer's phone is connected to their service. I have been making sure others hear how poorly we were treated and to be aware of their deceitful practices as well as lack of willingness to correct their error. We are senior citizens and didn’t have the large sum of money to spend for this consumer rip off and had to put it on our credit cards so we are not only out several hundred dollars but making payments and paying interest for an error that was not our mistake. Consumer Beware should be their logo!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have lost phone service three times this week for hours at a time. Consumer Cellular provides a phone number to call them for support, so they cannot be contacted. They provide no technical support and just resell the major carriers in the area. It is better to get the cheapest service from ATT or Verizon. At least they will answer a service call. They will answer a service call from a Walmart drop phone. Consumer Cellular has no technical backbone.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

We had been AT&T customers since moving back to the USA 6 years ago. It was costing us over $200/mo for 3 phones. We still travel overseas for half the year. The service was costing us over $200/mo even when we were away. They had us locked on a contract and would not give us a break when we told them we would be gone for 6 months at a time. They tried to convince us to use international roaming in other parts of the world but that would have meant spending hundreds on new phones that work overseas and we estimated our monthly bill would more than double with the roaming charges. We simply could not afford a $400-$500/mo phone bill. We purchased phones for Asia and Europe and buy inexpensive prepaid plans when there but were still not happy of spending $200+/mo when out of the country.

We needed to reduce our costs when our income began to decrease significantly and with little notice. A friend told us about Consumer Cellular. We were hesitant but finally agreed to change. I'm not sure why we didn't do this sooner! CC uses the AT&T network, our calling habits are the same and now the most we pay for one month is $115/mo. When we overseas, our bill is a very affordable $35/mo including the AARP discount. We have now been Consumer Cellular customers for two years and are very happy to have saved more than $3500 on cell service! Customer service has been very good. We like the variety of phones available from CC. We will be upgrading again soon and CC has what we want. Overall, CC has been very good to us and for us. We do not hesitate to recommend CC to ANYONE!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I've been a customer of Consumer Cellular for nearly three years and have been pleased with phone service and flexible payment options. A good idea! Early on customer care response could not have been better by any reasonable comparison to any other phone company. No wonder Consumer Cellular has the growing success that it has. But the plummeting response readiness of its customer care arm smacks of not only negligence but possibly greed. No matter the time of day or night or day of week hold time's start at fifteen minutes and then if you're patience is of the golden variety and you are willing to endure to the nebulous end you may get a helpful representative to courteously handle your issue. But by then you are being charged for every arduous minute of the ordeal.

The callback option where a representative is promised to return your call has been in my experience a call placed to me a half a day later, thus finding me where I have decided to go on with my life, and not available for the call. Thus I am relegated to return to the fifteen minutes minimum customer service pay as you wait line. So! Is greed afoot at consumer Cellular or has the company's success proved that the proprietors have bitten off more than they can chew on the mobile phone industry? Innovative out of the gate but fading and faltering in the home stretch. Innovation has gotten Consumer Cellular to where it's at but not innovating to take care of customer issues in a timely manner can lose the race to the carrier who will. Making calls to customer service free or free after five minutes wait time would go a long way towards reassuring the customer base that the intent to make millions off of arduous hold times is not what Consumer Cellular is after.

We customers have to spend many of our dollars on hold time in our dealings with the sundry businesses that our mobile phones give us access to. It's our beloved service provider that reaps those dollars and our complaint for those costly waits is aimed at the sundry businesses not our service provider. But when our service provider keeps us on relentless hold and charges us to boot! Well there's something akin to the perverse about that. Come on Consumer Cellular innovate. I need to get through to customer service to find out why you are charging me taxes and I live in a no tax state. And that's another story.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Saturday I got an E-mail from Consumer Cellular. Being a new customer, I actually read the thing and discovered what I thought was an error. Having made or received under 30 minutes of calls last month, I was horrified to see the rascals had used up more than 6 times more minutes that we actually used. I called and after being on perma-hold for a good 25 minutes I was put through to a service person. I explained my problem, way too many minutes of use for our barely used service... Am I the only person who finds this odious billing scheme crooked?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I, too, have been a customer of Consumer Cellular for several years. I suffered for over 20 years with ATT and a brief Sprint interlude before finding CC. I could not be happier with CC. I'm sure they do fumble the ball sometimes just like all of us but their model for helping the customer save money is fantastic. I'm referring to their long-standing no contract plans coupled with the ability you have to set usage limits low with the knowledge that if you run over, they will automatically upgrade your service so you suffer no penalty charges. They also cooperated with me fully when I wanted to unlock my phone bought through them so I could add an overseas carrier for travel. I only wish they had an overseas package themselves. And finally, their rates are always competitive and usually enable me to save significantly from those of the Big Three. So I agree completely with Dorothy of IN that this is a very good provider.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I contacted Consumer Cellular around the 20th of July let them know that I would be paying July bill of 31.99 on Aug 4, the representative said ok they would do this one-time payment arrangement. So the morning of August 4, I made my payment as promised and they took out a second payment. So my bank contacted me about the discrepancy. I told my bank it was a mistake 2 payment coming out. My bank filed a dispute with Consumer Cellular and put my money back in my account. I have had fraud withdrawals through my account but I knew that this was a simple mistake.

I called Consumer Cellular because they had turned my cell off on August 23, 2017, they were saying that they had a right to debit my account and keep the payment I made for August payment which was not due yet. So I called 6-8 times telling them I was not aware that they had decide my account, I did not receive an email and they said I had to pay the late fee of 25.00 because I had the payment reversed and they considered the 31.99 their money and now it was late and I owe them 56.99 and they turned my cell off. After speaking to a few representatives and waiting for a call back from management that never happened.

I called, got a supervisor who said the same as the rep. have my bank write up a letter dropping the dispute and faxing it to Consumer Cellular then paying the 56.99 and they would consider play the tape of the call and looking at my account and I would get reimbursed late October or early November the 25.00 dollar. Or I can eat the loss which is so unfair I think. I need to find me another Cellular Company. I am so disappointed, I was happy but not anymore. No company has the right to take someone money and put a spend on it and call it theirs.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We added a line for our niece (44 yrs old) & phone. Received it, she used it for 11 days & didn't like the cell service, so we cut off the line, Consumer Cellular sent us an "envelope" to return the phone. We did so with all the info & inside the original box it came in. A day before our bank acct was to be hit with the bill, they had added the remaining charge for the phone. $150.00 plus. A day later, we rec'd the phone back with a letter stating the phone had deep scratches on it & was not returnable. You can rub your finger over the phone, no scratches, & take the phone outside-no scratches. I contacted CC, spoke with numerous people & basically told- "too bad." Our shipping dept found scratches. They finally sent me a picture that showed a scratch that you would have to own high-powered equipment to see. Although we have been customers for years -doesn't count. I feel as a senior we have been duped.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have been waiting 6 days for an email response to a question about international service. I dont have time to waste by waiting for a call to be answered, so thought email would be faster. I was very wrong. 5+ days is entirely too long. Have experienced this in the past with CC, but it has never taken this long.

Consumer Cellular Company Information