Consumer Cellular

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have consumer cellular for a few years and it was very good until recently. Suddenly a few months ago I was told that my simple flip telephone will not have signal anymore and I need to get a smartphone. Did that and everything was alright until a month or so ago. Without any permission from me all sorts of e-mails and internet garbage were coming on my telephone and my computer. Didn't know where the problem came from until I learned that Consumer Cellular charged me $40 extra a month for upgrading me to a higher texting rate.

Called the Consumer Cellular and after waiting half an hour (I assume other people were hit the same way), I was told that all the unwanted e-mail will stop and there was something about a less bill for the next month. The e-mails and all the garbage from the internet still floods my telephone and my computer e-mail address.

Today 3/15/2017 my ex wife came to me to complain that her 5 years contract with Consumer Cellular is close to expire and Consumer Cellular renewed her contract for 3 more years without asking her, and at 40 dollars a month more. There is not much complaint on internet about this new tricks by Consumer Cellular, because it just started and most of the people on Consumer Cellular are senior citizens who do not know how to reveal these things on internet.

Consumer cellular turned my phones off because I was 6 days late paying the bill. The manager I spoke with said they called my wife's phone to let us know the payment was late. We checked. They did NOT call. They also said they sent me a email. I did not get an email from Consumer Cellular. Filing a complaint with the MINNESOTA COMMERCE DEPARTMENT. FILED A COMPLAINT WITH AARP.

I've had Consumer Cellular for about 2 years. I purchased a new phone through their 'easy pay' program. I recently made a point of looking up my easy pay chart to see what I owed on my phone. I wanted to pay the phone off. The online chart told me I owed $100 on my phone, so I made a payment of $75 to the phone only. This would mean my phone was paid for with my February payment. My monthly payments have been for both service and the phone itself. I recently received my March payment, and lo and behold, they are billing me for another phone payment. The phone payment (easy pay) bar reads 'paid in full' for the phone. When I called to question this. I was told the easy pay bar includes the future payment so I still owed $25 for my phone.

When I continued to question this and explained why this was a misleading way to present a bill, all I got was the same explanation of billing over and over again. A person from the billing department called me later in the day only to once again explain the billing to me. When I told him I was not an idiot, I understood the billing process and was questioning why the presentation was misleading, he got angry and simply continued to repeat the billing process. I asked for a $25 credit and was basically told to ** off. I still question why the online billing shows a payment not yet made. How is anyone supposed to check what they owe if the payments showing include future payments? By the way, this is not noted anywhere on the billing page. I will be leaving Consumer Cellular never to return. Overall, their customer service can stand improvement.

Decided would try Consumer Cellular. Began the service in October 2016. Company is a total rip off - when signing up paid for the phone, ask the rep whom was new to this company and needed to ask her boss the answer to every question I ask. That is ok as I said to her. Wanted to get the correct info... admitting I had lots of questions! Ask this question at the end of our conversation. If I no longer want the service she said to me they will turn the service off and you do not need to do anything. Taking her word for this that is exactly what I did. Received a invoice saying owe this 56.57. Called to talk to them and they were to call me back to no luck so I called them 3 days later and they added late charge 10.00 and another month service. Saying they were sorry they didn’t call me back, the decision was made that day I owe the company.

This is my first review ever. There may be some that have had good luck. And I will say mine was a horrible experience. Paid consumer the amt owed and ask they never ever contact me again. Want not ANYTHING to do with this company. Seniors are being RIP off every day. I will never do or have ANYTHING to do with this company ever again... also they denied this conversation ever took place with this rep. I have no reason for saying this if weren't true. -Pay my bills long before they are due - they were putting this on my credit, (WHAT A SHAME). I am 71 years old and this has been so hard on me. My husband sick and dealing with this... thank you.

Poor tech support -- They don't know their product! Have called several times regarding putting in a Micro SD card. They don't know how to do it. They scheduled me for an appointment at Target, but the employees just pointed me down the store.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Cellular?

I want to change cell phone carriers and to keep my same phone # I have to provide to the new cell phone carrier my account # & PIN #. They gave me my account # but would not supply me with my PIN # because they do not want to lose my business. I need to know what Federal Agency to contact to see what my options are to file a complaint against this company.

I spent nearly 4 hours with the not so friendly phone associates in trying to get CC to honor their warranty on a 5 mo old phone which gave me ultimate troubles. I was told unless the phone looked EXACTLY as it did when it was bought, the warranty was void. The so-called supervisor said, "It must be in 100%, pristine condition, no markings, no dust, the plastic still affixed, completely unused." So my new phone that I had to buy, because my "warrantied" phone was useless, has a 3 year warranty, that I was coerced into buying by the Sears salesman, has to be in the same condition for it to be warrantied. Impossible. A smooth ploy to trick senior citizens (who are poor) out of their money. Disgrace!

We've been with Consumer Cellular over a year and have 4 phones. Activating them was somewhat difficult due to very poor quality tech support. But we got them all activated. The people you start out with are seriously deficient. Their 2nd level support isn't much better. 3rd level is somewhat better. Around 2/14/2017 they disabled the texting and data service on my phone (other 3 phones not affected) - without any reason or any warning. When I called customer service, they first said it's because we exceeded our 5 GB data plan. They then add another 1 GB and charge you $10. They also reduced the data speed. We've had this happen most of the months.

This time, in addition to throttling down data speed, they completely disabled my texting and data altogether. At first they tried to tell me this is just normal procedure. I just have to wait until next billing cycle (a lie). Then they tell me it's my phone (another lie - my phone, Sony Xperia X, can handle reduced data speed and has off and on for the past year). Finally they admitted it's due to some system problems or changes they made on their end. But they need to escalate the issue because they don't know how to fix it. Texting was finally restored but my data service is still disabled even though we are now into a new billing cycle. They've made no adjustment to my bill for this incredible inconvenience that was entirely their fault. This company is terrible. Don't use them if you need reliable data service and quality tech support.

OK, this is what I know. I got a CC phone android. The phone is fine with good reception. I liked the phone, touchscreen was big and loud speaker, ear piece. I upgraded my phone to $15 month as I talked enough for 250 minutes at the most. I got the $5 text thing as I messed with a site on my laptop and had to send a text to verify a code of some sort. I got it OK. My problem is this - CC is only paying in credit card or check and I got $18 or $21 month charge. I paid it, fine. I used a Google Play app as a text, Snap Face I think. You know I just chat and not do 'fancy' stuff. My bill was like the same, 2 times I texted like the Google vert codes. My parents paid the second bill. I then checked my profile and it said $10 worth of jazz I know nothing about. I looked at the screen and a message said my data is almost full for the month. I checked my settings or profile. The system was trying to do me good. The next bill was $29 and a few cents. Too much, didn't pay.

My bill was due on the 18 or so - I ignored it and fired up my old TracFone. I added airtime to it. The truth is TracFone is OK, but reception is spotty. I got the hint my service would stop. It was good. I got a letter in the mail about canceled service, I am OK with it. The story is do NOT risk CC if you are on a budget! It is easier to go with an air time card plan. Please try to remember. If anyone is interested in my review, please email me. Thanks.

Consumer cellular is a less expensive plan than all those others. I use mine texting more than I do for phone calls. They do however need to work on their towers. I currently have tough coverage but I also am surrounded by mountains.

I requested to port my number to Consumer Cellular. They shipped a Sim card - Day 1 of Billable Service. Day 3 Sim Card received; Day 4 Sim card installed during call with Consumer Cellular; Day 6 - missing telephone calls, call forwarding from VoIP service not working, not receiving text messages - time spent to resolve issue 2 hours - Add insult to injury - I owe them money for 6 days of service - please define "service" - not what I received here.

Spoke with four reps at Consumer Cellular - first one said I would not be charged but call was disconnected as he gave me confirmation number so received only two digits; called again and was told service would be billed; spoke with supervisor; he said I would be billed for 6 days as service began when Sim card mailed but he could not/would not accept payment as bill not generated. Call was disconnected. I called again and made payment sufficient to cover the base charge of $4.07 for six days of non service plus $3.43 to cover any additional taxes/fees that might be assessed.

Purchased two Doro phones from CC. Both were defective upon receipt. Talked with CC customer service numerous times between June and November 2016. After numerous phone calls they told us to return the phone. Refused to honor warranty for the returned phone which was damaged in transit, charged credit card $217.00. Replacement phone also defective. CC sold us two defective phones and did not stand behind what they sell. Beware of this company!! Cancelled our account and went to another company.

I used to be able to access my account when I am oversea like a few months at a time yearly since I have been with them for almost 3 years. I checked the balance and made my payment. Suddenly, now I couldn't even access the Consumer Cellular website or the icon provided on the phone. It's fortunate that I just upgrade the phone and put it on auto pay or else I will be charged for overdue. Talked to customer service and I was told that their site is not accessible out of the U.S. since they don't provide service.

Consumer Cellular as the best prices for someone like me that does not use her phone for texting or email but only for important phone calls. The pictures it takes are also of good quality and can easily be transformed into regular print photos.

Long wait times to speak to a customer wait person with that infernal music blaring. I also hate my Hyundai phone. I plan to leave Consumer Cellular.

We cut our yearly costs because their plans are so flexible and my husband and I can share minutes and web data. Their coverage is great and very easy to change. Haven't had an issue with it yet. Reps are friendly and professional. They've increased our data and talk times without increasing cost.

Mistake made by customer service department on my account - I called in to get information on adding a person to my plane. When I got off the phone I received two emails stating that I had cancelled my AppleCare policy and my easy pay plan. The customer service rep had made a mistake. When I called to get the mistakes corrected, Consumer Cellular made it clear it was their policy for the customer to rectify the employees' mistake. My bill has come due and instead of owing $114.95 I will owe $258.95. I will be leaving Consumer Cellular. Their advertising using Nielsen as a source stating they are number #1 in customer service is a lie.

I have been a CC customer for over 10 years and have never experienced the wait times or rudeness described in these emails. My wait times average 1-5 minutes. I recently upgraded to the iPhone 5s from a flip phone, which I loved but the camera was of poor quality. The phone they sent me would not charge, and the CC representative told me to take it to the Apple store. The Genius Bar rep tested it and said he was surprised to find that it was a new phone, not a used one, because Apple was no longer making them. The test said to send the phone back for repairs.

When I reported back to CC, I was told that they would send me a new phone immediately. Next day, the new phone was at my front door. It is a joy to own. The camera is terrific and it's so much fun to make videos. Apple recently sent an upgrade, which changed the way voice mail and messaging looked and functioned. I didn't buy the Apple protection plan but Apple's telephone support explained things for me. I wouldn't expect CC to know how to fix the "complications" that resulted from a just released upgrade. CC has been a superior and reliable provider of phone services to me for over a decade. My Apple phone is everything (and more) that it was reputed to be. I just switched rate plan today with my usual ease, and I have never been overcharged. CC is a wonderful provider with reliable customer service.

I ordered the Consumer Cellular SIM card and it arrived 10 days after that. They have 30 days free trial so 25 days later I decided to cancel the service because of poor reception in my house. I called them but to my surprise I was told that they count those 30 days from the day they sent the card to me not from the day when I started to use it. I think that this show how they treat their customers. I do not recommend Consumer Cellular.

I have been with AT&T GoPhone, and switched to save $15 a month. The switch was simple and people were helpful. I am working out of my house so it's nice to save on a Data plan that is not a problem when I am away from home WiFi.

Purchased a phone from Consumer Cellular for my wife. After 6 months it started acting erratically. Returned it to CC under warranty. CC denied warranty because they said there are a couple of very small scratches. Instead of being accountable for selling you a defective product they made excuses for not honoring the warranty. They do not stand behind the products that they sell!!

My phone, purchased through Consumer Cellular website, will suddenly stop sending or receiving photo content in text messages. It will also stop sending or receiving multi-party texts. I don't get reception in many places where Verizon, T-Mobile, etc... have great service. Today was my 4TH phone call in the past ten months. Each time I've spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with a rep. who has me alter my phone settings. Today Olivia said there was nothing more they could do, I would have to reset the phone to original factory settings. This would delete all my apps, which I would have to re-install.

When I asked for a credit on my bill for the 2+ hours I'd spent on the phone with them plus the inconvenience of losing all my apps and having to recover contacts, photos, etc. she got snippy. She repeatedly told me I'd had full service, using "lots" of data and sending "lots" of text messages. Oh, please. I have the minimum plan, and rarely risk exceeding the modest limits. I kept repeating my complaint, she asked if I wanted to talk to a supervisor, then she put me on perma-hold. As soon as I have a chance to shop around, I'm firing Consumer Cellular.

We have been using CC for over 3 years now and feel satisfied. It's a no frills service that meets our needs. We have 2 CC phones and one Samsung. You don't have to buy or use their phones. When our phones are wearing out we will replace them for whatever is the best buy at the time. Our phone plan service and customer service are all good. We are happier with CC than we were with Verizon!

I subscribed to Consumer Cellular after Consumer Reports rated them #1 over all other carriers. They have lived up to that rating with me. Great service, and based in the U.S. I had experienced the awful customer service of Straight Talk and then Net 10, both owned by TracFone. I would be on the phone for hours for something as simple as switching to a new phone. Terrible! However, Consumer Cellular has been great! No long wait times for customer service, and they have solved my problems quickly. I honestly think the people giving it low ratings are working for their competitors. Check out the Consumer Reports ratings!

Bad cellphone. I use Consumer Cellular. 9 months ago I purchased a Doro smartphone. The phone has no reception at times and is always very weak at best. I complained to Consumer Cellular about this problem several times, they had me do several tests and resets, nothing improved the reception. They also sent different sim cards. I tried it all, this phone is under factory warranty and I also have an insurance plan as well. Josh at Consumer Cellular told me point blank they would not replace the phone even though it is malfunctioning. And insist that I have interference problems... my wife's phone works just fine but it is a flip phone. I spent 200.00 for this phone and it works some of the time. CONSUMER CELLULAR IS A RIPOFF... looking for another service.

My father passed away unexpectedly and found he had a Consumer cell phone he had just acquired. I as his son called to cancel and told the account was cancelled and no billing required and if we saw a charge to call back to have credited. However, they continued billing... and called back and they would not remove the charges even after talking to supervisor. How disgusting to bill for a phone not used and cancelled. I will make sure to not only use their services but pass the word as this world has many creditable services that are honest!!!

I had cellular telephone service with Consumer Cellular for about two years from 2014 to 2016. At first they seemed okay. However, whenever I needed to call their customer service number, it took forever to get through. One time it took 45 minutes on hold to get through. This is no exaggeration. I was using a phone that times how long you're on the call. My hold time was almost exactly 45 minutes. This was typical of the service, not the exception. Whenever I called, I could expect to wait a minimum of 20 minutes on hold. Finally, I gave up and decided to try someone else. When Cricket attempted to transfer my number, they could not because Consumer Cellular said their system was down. The following day they still could not transfer it because CC was still having problems.

Finally, I told Cricket to just change my phone number. I called Consumer Cellular back (and waited forever on hold) and told them I was canceling service. I had been on auto-pay, making all my payments on time. I told them to simply do one more auto-pay for whatever I owed, which was about half a month. Instead of doing that, they didn't shut off my service and kept sending me increasingly large bills in the bail.

Now I have a huge bill for service I didn't ask for and was not using and a threat to put it into collections and screw up my credit, thanks to their failure to follow instructions. I owe them for half a month, and attempted to pay that when I canceled. They were supposed to take that half a month out via auto-pay, same way I had paid every single previous bill. I'm not going to pay for months of service for time when they stupidly failed to shut off my account as I asked. Worst cell phone company ever! Cricket is way better. There's no way I would ever return to Consumer Cellular.

I called this company three times to try to get an answer to why they were billing me for something that I wasn't using. They not only did were not helpful, they fabricated information that I was never informed of. I also explained that I couldn't pay my bill until the 25th as that is when my social security check came. They turned off my phone and then went ahead without my permission and took the money out of my bank which cost me a bank charge of $39. I will cancel this account and report to BBB and Attorney General as this is fraud.

This company uses At&t. I have had 2 smartphones and my wife had a flip phone and a smartphone. The orders were processed efficiently. The prices were great and the plans were inexpensive. They even provide an automatic plan change if you exceed the limits.

I purchased a phone from Target in November 2016. After having for about 60 days my phone stopped working. When I took I opened the back to check the battery. It smoked and sparked. I contacted customer service and spoke to David who assured me that even though went over the 30 days I could get a refund and he was so sure that he was positive this would happen.

After 5 days I received emails from Sheila that because this did not happen within 30 days I could not get a refund, all I could get is a replacement. I informed her I did not want that since what happened and what difference would it make if it was 30 or 60 days. Look like I will be reporting to the BBB and fight for my $149.00. Also was told my bill would be no more than $50 month. Well it was $77.50 supposedly because of taxes. Was never told I would be charged for taxes.

Consumer Cellular Company Profile