formerly Qwest

3.6/5 (1937 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Once I got past the initial ordering process the service has been pretty good. I have had it for about 2 years, had only one call which was handled quickly. Service has been reliable. No downtimes since installed.

Good morning, Dale,

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your service. Our goal is to provide each customer with great service and a great experience. If you need any help at all, you can reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

CENTURYLINK has had a bad reputation for a long time. I have helped a lot of my computer customers when they have had problems with the internet service. I recently moved in a new neighborhood and was dreading having CenturyLink. I went online to find out about service and was pleasantly surprised to see high speed service at a very reasonable price. I was able to order it and have the new router and installed it myself with some phone help. It was very easy to set up and is working like a champ. I'm getting 50-60 Mbps on a stable line and even had it at 70 Mbps. Upload runs consistently at 20 Mbps. It's great for streaming tv and many other options.

Hello Nancy,

We're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Have a great day.

Sabrina

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

They are my phone company. They have gotten better over time and are doing very well with the Bandwidth, Reasonable rates for someone on a fixed income, don't do cable, too expensive and the local Mediacom office has an old grouch for our contact and they are expensive, phones do not work when the power goes out. Centurylink is the best buy for the money under 70.00 for internet & phone.

CenturyLink response

Hello Deann while we're glad to see you've been satisfied with your service so far, if that changes, please let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Wish it was faster, more dependable. With so many of us now needing to rely on internet, providers may not feel the need to be Super Good. To date it fulfills our needs. Previous provider was worse. Perhaps the area I now live in is making it harder for internet providers to be Greater.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that this is your experience with us, and that you have difficulties with the speeds available for your home. If you have any questions or concerns, and require assistance, please reach out to us here privately and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Really have liked Century Link since I first began service with them in 2017. The speed is good for me and service issues have been all but nonexistent, with only two outages in my time with them. I did upgrade once and did a change of address on my service once and it was all very easy. They do not do any high pressure contacting to try to get me to upgrade, that I like. Contact with customer support has always been good and they have been friendly. Price is comfortable for my budget.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gerry, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; if your experience is negative at any point, and you need assistance, please reach out to us here for help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Rep lied during initial contact and account setup phone call. He set install date, but right now, ten days later, no one has activated service. Every number I call now to get help refuses to explain or the automated system hangs up on me. Half the time I can't understand what the phone rep is saying because of bad English skills. They rescheduled turning service on to a date 14 days after I'm being billed for without advising me. They still won't tell me why they did this. I've had three chat sessions with them because I can't reach them over the phone. Each session they refuse to tell me why I'm being put off and they end the session without anything being resolved. Saving a copy of the chat is not an option. This company is very disorganized. If you can get service somewhere else, DO IT.

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear that your appointment keeps getting pushed out. I completely understand how inconvenient a lack of service can be and we understand how important your time is. I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Signed up for their service at a new address. Did not have the jack in my house to plug in the equipment. It took 8 calls before I was able to contact someone simply just to have a technician come out. They attempted to upsell me even though I did not have the ability to plug in the equipment. I thought I already asked for the fastest speed so I listened and agreed to faster service to which he replied faster speeds are not available in my area, I told him I need a technician still and he hung up. Called again the next day and finally they told me that they can't send a technician because they don't service my area! My wife and I work from home and I told them before we signed up it was very important the internet work before we moved in. I cancelled the service and returned the equipment and was told I would not be charged since I never received the service. Still received a bill 2 weeks later even though I was told i would not be charged.

Called again, they said no ignore the notice. Once again a month later received a bill. They said ignore the notice the service was cancelled. Few months later I receive ANOTHER notice saying we owe them, called again to which they told me the service was not cancelled, spent an hour on the phone until I finally got ahold of a supervisor who closed out the bill and told me everything was resolved. NOW I received collections notice on my credit report for a SERVICE I NEVER RECEIVED! I could go on all day about how horrendous their customer service was and go into more detail but I will save you the headache and heartache and tell you under no circumstances should you ever consider Centurylink an internet option. If you are comparing and shopping, you should automatically assume Centurylink is NOT a real company. Their entire team is incompetent and you are better off with a cell phone hotspot than this sorry excuse for a company.

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel. I apologize for all the issues you encountered when trying to get service installed and with the billing. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Set up service to be installed 11/5/21 before 7pm. Received email at 9am saying it's set up. I called and was transferred 20 different times and spent 3 hours on the phone. They had no clue what was going on. Last person I talked to said it was some super special secret error and he would get it fixed and call me at 6 I never received a call. Tried to call them and they close at 6. LOL. They are closed at 6...PM... 6pm lol. I've never heard of an internet company that is closed at 6pm and not open on the weekends.

If I wasn't sure about using their service I am now why would I have internet with a company that has no customer service or even tech support on the weekends? Most people work when you guys are open. You're not open when people don't work which is when they would have issues with your services so you closing early and not being open on weekends is a crutch to do less work. Oh you guys have a chat???? I'm tech savvy, it took me forever to figure it out and I finally got in touch with them and they said to call Monday. LOL. So what good is a chat if they won't help. Hard pass on Centurylink service. Go for Mediacom. Faster speeds and 24/7 support.

Good morning,

I apologize for what you have endured trying to get a technician to your home. Our offices hours are from 8Am-9PM EST Monday-Friday and I am sorry if you had problems reaching us as we understand your time is valuable I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Unfortunately this company is understaffed to provide timely service to their customers for field services support (2 weeks before beginning to troubleshoot an outage, with no alternative options for the interim). Furthermore, they failed to provide adequate troubleshooting without customer input. I suggested testing the modem next door because they said that coincidental with the power surge, we had also experienced a damage transmission line somewhere, even though everyone else's internet in our area returned, except ours.

The rep had to obtain permission to allow her to remain on the phone to allow me to perform the test, by the time she returned to inform me I would have to call back with results I already had results and they showed the modem was bad. It was only then they would offer to replace the modem without the field visit. VERY FRUSTRATING that they would consider NOT replacing the modem and instead suggest we go 2 weeks without internet. This is a HUGE risk for people who telework in the current day and age.

Good morning,

I apologize for any issues you encountered with your internet service and with tech support as I understand the importance of staying connected. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

My account was closed on March 2020. This month, Century Link is asking for a payment of $180 and even asked for a credit debt collector company. My experienced with them is the worse. They created 2 accounts for me but I only need one for the wifi. Asked them to closed the other one said they closed it already. They’ve been charging me twice since then That's why we stopped using their company. For the readers you’ll regret it if you use Century Link!

Good morning,

I apologize for any billing issues you have encountered, as this is not the experience we want our customers to have. I would be happy to help you. Please send me a private message.

CenturyLink Company Information