Birch (formerly Cbeyond)

Birch
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.02/5

Birch Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2018

My elderly 87 year old father was switched to Birch phone by acquisition. He had their service for 10 years. He has updated his house with new technology and was given a great deal through Comcast. He called to cancel Birch and was told he needed to give 30 day notice and would be billed $200.00 for canceling. I demanded to see in writing where he agreed to that fee. They play a recording from a third party where the guy says "You must agree to 30 day cancel notice or pay a fee." Nowhere does it state the amount of $ 200.00. Or any amount whatsoever.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor and Cindy refused to connect me to one. I told her my father was hard of hearing and probably did not hear or understand when he went through the phone prompts. She refused to help and demanded he pay $200.00 to disconnect. I told her Birch is taking advantage of the elderly and I would lodge complaints with Consumer Affairs, FCC and Elderly Affairs. She said "Do what you want." DO NOT USE THESE SCUM, THEY ARE TARGETING ELDERLY PEOPLE.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We are a Non-Profit Swim & Tennis Club that is required to have active landline for 911 services in order to be open. We had previously checked our line for dial tone and ability to call but not a voice connection. On May 16th, our Club was closed by County Safety Dept due to phone line issue of parties not being able to hear each other. Opened work order immediately on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 for service repair. Initial technician went out on Thursday, could not make repair. Expedited request on Friday, determined a Central Office issue, best service date of Tuesday (said technicians work on Saturday and Sunday, but that the best they could do in my case was start and close on Tuesday).

Expedited on Saturday, Expedited on Monday. Consistently explained that we are closed, the customer service did not care. Tried to expedite further, Supervisors unavailable, (really?) Will advise if actually repaired on Tuesday. Would not recommend Birch Communications -- I spoke to the same people consistently calling a 1-800 number which means that they have very few people working their tech support. Their phone line actually went down during one of the conversations. They would not transfer to other departments and/or said that they could not talk to their dispatch/technician group.

Original review: May 14, 2018

My phone service was for the most part ok and cheaper than AT&T. But they do all negotiations over the phone. I was TOLD that to switch to Birch Net it required a one year contract and after that period ended I could leave at any time. I have found them hostile and unhelpful. They are demanding $250 termination fee for not leaving on the EXACT DAY I started. I had phone service over 3 three years so I know I had met the verbal contract they gave me over the phone. HORRIBLE. Would never use them again. Bullying customers never works with me.

Original review: March 28, 2018

The first phone call with this company the person said she was with Verizon and wanted to lower our rates because we have been loyal customers then sent me to her manager and he said he was with Birch Communications. After googling reviews, they have terrible reviews and I would rather not change, he was very rude and I asked they not call us back. Since then I have received 4 calls from other reps from Birch and they are harassing calls. I explain I am not interested and they are ignorant. Today the girl even laughed because I was so annoyed with them. I am sure they will call back again next week. I WOULD NEVER WORK WITH A COMPANY THAT THINKS THIS BEHAVIOR IS OKAY!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have never been with a company that is so rotten! They leave you on hold for over 30 minutes regularly and punish you if your life doesn’t allow for you to sit and wait for them to answer the phone. Once I waited over 30 minutes and the department that I was holding for closed. When I called back and beg them not to put me on hold again I was told, “Oh that department is now closed”... really they do not care about their customers and their needs. And above all that just try to change service providers. I tried to leave and go to AT&T with my phone number that I had for 20 plus years but it seems that it couldn’t be done because they could not obtain that number! I had that number before I went to Birch! Never will I do business with them again! Hopefully help someone else too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birch?

Original review: March 19, 2018

The company is targeting the elderly people for personal gain. They should be put out of business!!! Isn't it a crime to sell a service to a person with dementia and take advantage of their weakness??? They called my mom and told her she needed to be switched from AT&T because they were going out of business so of course she agreed since she didn't want to lose her phone service!!! SHAME ON YOU BIRCH!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Made promises to get me to sign up. But when they could not deliver, I am still bound by the contract and stuck with a huge increase in monthly fees and an extension of the contract for 3 more years. If I choose to leave, there is a huge early termination fee in the thousands.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I received a sales call from Birch. Initially they declined to identify themselves or the purpose of the call. A second person interrupted the call, apologized and identified himself as Mr. Leo **. Very nice and professional. He explained the service and how it would reduce my costs. Initially the explanation was somewhat convoluted but finally I got the gist of their offer. I requested Mr. ** to send me a quote detailing their offer, contract terms etc. He explained he was unable to do this but directed me to their website. Even though they offered a "quote" I realized it would be verbal. Not written. I went to this website, Consumer Affairs and read the reviews. Glad I didn't go forward. As a result of the information provided which confirmed my fears, I don't have a horror story to tell. Thank you Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Our company also started off with Cbeyond, which we had no issues with. We were switched over to Birch and almost immediately started having issues with almost everything associated with our account. First, since we're not on a contract (I recommend not doing so) every month our bill has slowly started going up and up. We have T1 internet and about 5 phone lines. At the time T1 was the only option in our newly developed area. It has always been sort of slow but we could still easily watch videos and download large email attachments in a not too long time frame. But in the past year or so it has really slowed to almost not being able to go on any website and checking email is horrible.

There have been no changes to our computer usage or equipment. We even upgraded to a very expensive wireless router and no change. We even stopped most of our computers from running updates until after we leave. Every time we call the blame is placed on us and we are told that we need pay a professional IT person (not within our budget) to come in and check to see if we messed any wiring up. We were even told that because the internet is so slow our phone lines would stop working, but it wasn't their fault.

We eventually asked them to see if there was anything faster they could upgrade us to and we were told there was a fiber optic option but we would have to pay almost $500 for install and can't remember but some kind of ridiculous cost per month for the service. We are now trying to get Comcast to come out and they have given us a great cost per month for their service. From all that I have heard from these reviews, I am very nervous about how terminating our Birch account will go.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We have had very bad service from Birch. We have had 4 T1s and 6 phone lines with them for 5 years. The service was extremely slow, always. We found out after 2 years that 2 of the T1's was not even installed. After they came and fixed this, it was still extremely slow. We had to argue with them for months after this to even get a credit back for the 2 T1's as "per their policy" they would only give us credit for 3 months after we were without the service for close to 2 years. We need to have more Mbps and their termination process is very expensive. Much too much for a small business just barely getting by. Moral of the story do not sign with any company that wants to lock you into anything over 1 year!!!!

Birch Company Information