Birch
1.02/5
Based on 124 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Birch (formerly Cbeyond)

Last updated: May 21, 2018

132 Birch Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

We are a Non-Profit Swim & Tennis Club that is required to have active landline for 911 services in order to be open. We had previously checked our line for dial tone and ability to call but not a voice connection. On May 16th, our Club was closed by County Safety Dept due to phone line issue of parties not being able to hear each other. Opened work order immediately on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 for service repair. Initial technician went out on Thursday, could not make repair. Expedited request on Friday, determined a Central Office issue, best service date of Tuesday (said technicians work on Saturday and Sunday, but that the best they could do in my case was start and close on Tuesday).

Expedited on Saturday, Expedited on Monday. Consistently explained that we are closed, the customer service did not care. Tried to expedite further, Supervisors unavailable, (really?) Will advise if actually repaired on Tuesday. Would not recommend Birch Communications -- I spoke to the same people consistently calling a 1-800 number which means that they have very few people working their tech support. Their phone line actually went down during one of the conversations. They would not transfer to other departments and/or said that they could not talk to their dispatch/technician group.

Original review: May 14, 2018

My phone service was for the most part ok and cheaper than AT&T. But they do all negotiations over the phone. I was TOLD that to switch to Birch Net it required a one year contract and after that period ended I could leave at any time. I have found them hostile and unhelpful. They are demanding $250 termination fee for not leaving on the EXACT DAY I started. I had phone service over 3 three years so I know I had met the verbal contract they gave me over the phone. HORRIBLE. Would never use them again. Bullying customers never works with me.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2018

The first phone call with this company the person said she was with Verizon and wanted to lower our rates because we have been loyal customers then sent me to her manager and he said he was with Birch Communications. After googling reviews, they have terrible reviews and I would rather not change, he was very rude and I asked they not call us back. Since then I have received 4 calls from other reps from Birch and they are harassing calls. I explain I am not interested and they are ignorant. Today the girl even laughed because I was so annoyed with them. I am sure they will call back again next week. I WOULD NEVER WORK WITH A COMPANY THAT THINKS THIS BEHAVIOR IS OKAY!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have never been with a company that is so rotten! They leave you on hold for over 30 minutes regularly and punish you if your life doesn’t allow for you to sit and wait for them to answer the phone. Once I waited over 30 minutes and the department that I was holding for closed. When I called back and beg them not to put me on hold again I was told, “Oh that department is now closed”... really they do not care about their customers and their needs. And above all that just try to change service providers. I tried to leave and go to AT&T with my phone number that I had for 20 plus years but it seems that it couldn’t be done because they could not obtain that number! I had that number before I went to Birch! Never will I do business with them again! Hopefully help someone else too.

Original review: March 19, 2018

The company is targeting the elderly people for personal gain. They should be put out of business!!! Isn't it a crime to sell a service to a person with dementia and take advantage of their weakness??? They called my mom and told her she needed to be switched from AT&T because they were going out of business so of course she agreed since she didn't want to lose her phone service!!! SHAME ON YOU BIRCH!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birch?

Original review: March 6, 2018

Made promises to get me to sign up. But when they could not deliver, I am still bound by the contract and stuck with a huge increase in monthly fees and an extension of the contract for 3 more years. If I choose to leave, there is a huge early termination fee in the thousands.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I received a sales call from Birch. Initially they declined to identify themselves or the purpose of the call. A second person interrupted the call, apologized and identified himself as Mr. Leo **. Very nice and professional. He explained the service and how it would reduce my costs. Initially the explanation was somewhat convoluted but finally I got the gist of their offer. I requested Mr. ** to send me a quote detailing their offer, contract terms etc. He explained he was unable to do this but directed me to their website. Even though they offered a "quote" I realized it would be verbal. Not written. I went to this website, Consumer Affairs and read the reviews. Glad I didn't go forward. As a result of the information provided which confirmed my fears, I don't have a horror story to tell. Thank you Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Our company also started off with Cbeyond, which we had no issues with. We were switched over to Birch and almost immediately started having issues with almost everything associated with our account. First, since we're not on a contract (I recommend not doing so) every month our bill has slowly started going up and up. We have T1 internet and about 5 phone lines. At the time T1 was the only option in our newly developed area. It has always been sort of slow but we could still easily watch videos and download large email attachments in a not too long time frame. But in the past year or so it has really slowed to almost not being able to go on any website and checking email is horrible.

There have been no changes to our computer usage or equipment. We even upgraded to a very expensive wireless router and no change. We even stopped most of our computers from running updates until after we leave. Every time we call the blame is placed on us and we are told that we need pay a professional IT person (not within our budget) to come in and check to see if we messed any wiring up. We were even told that because the internet is so slow our phone lines would stop working, but it wasn't their fault.

We eventually asked them to see if there was anything faster they could upgrade us to and we were told there was a fiber optic option but we would have to pay almost $500 for install and can't remember but some kind of ridiculous cost per month for the service. We are now trying to get Comcast to come out and they have given us a great cost per month for their service. From all that I have heard from these reviews, I am very nervous about how terminating our Birch account will go.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We have had very bad service from Birch. We have had 4 T1s and 6 phone lines with them for 5 years. The service was extremely slow, always. We found out after 2 years that 2 of the T1's was not even installed. After they came and fixed this, it was still extremely slow. We had to argue with them for months after this to even get a credit back for the 2 T1's as "per their policy" they would only give us credit for 3 months after we were without the service for close to 2 years. We need to have more Mbps and their termination process is very expensive. Much too much for a small business just barely getting by. Moral of the story do not sign with any company that wants to lock you into anything over 1 year!!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Message I attempted to send several times using several addresses Birch lists: Hello, for several months, advertisement emails have been sent to strangers showing my AT&T (BellSouth) account as the sender. The number well exceeds 100. These messages appear in my Inbox, without copies in my sent file, and are forwarded under my email address by remote server: IP **. This is clearly an act of abuse and theft of my online identity. Can you help me?

Resolution response: Sept. 8, 2017

I emailed the VP of Customer Service. Kevin was extremely prompt, apologetic, efficient in getting it resolved quickly. The customer support manager did send me an 2000 page pdf of my call logs instead of an excel file/csv. Luckily I could extract the data or that could have been an added annoyance on top of a generally well done recovery.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We have 8 Phone Lines and a Toll Free Number. We were required to sign a new contract from the roll over from CBeyond to Birch. Our billing stopped tracking Outbound Long Distance by telephone number after the contract change. We called to get support to look into it. We were told by a customer service rep that our outbound calls were somehow being logged under our toll free and we would have to get a subpoena to get them. She was rather rude about it. I asked to speak to a manager. I was again told there was nothing more they would do without a subpoena, rather harshly. I demanded to speak to a manager. The manager immediately backtracked, once she actually listened to the problem. They said they would open a ticket to get it repaired. It has been a week. I have tried calling back. No one in tech support can be spoken to. They have no ETA. We just have to wait until tech support gets back to us. This is not acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Had a sales caller for Birch Communications call my mother in a nursing home and talk her into changing phone service from AT&T to Birch. My mother has dementia and had no idea what she was agreeing to. We pay her bills and were surprised to start getting a new bill from Birch rather than AT&T. While this may be entirely legal, it is also unethical. I called to complain and suggested they ask the person on the other end whether they reside in a private residence. If they discover the owner is in a nursing home, they should end the sales call. We all know this won't happen. Getting the phone line changed back can be done, but it's a royal pain.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

This company slammed my business phone speaking to one of workers. I have been trying to switch back to AT&T but Birch claims I have a 3 year contract. WHAT... How can I have a contract with someone I have never spoken with??? Now our phones have been out for almost a week and they are too busy to send a tech. My staff has asked to forward calls to their cell phones until the phones are back up not realizing it would take this long and now Birch says they cannot forward calls now because we used us our complimentary call forwarding.

I cannot conduct business without a phone and we are emergency call 24/7 for the airlines that have animals connecting at Detroit airport. How are they to reach us??? I said I will pay for call forwarding. I don't care the cost. We cannot be without phone service. Birch says sorry it's not about money, nothing they can do. Birch says they will email supervisor and they will contact us with a decision tomorrow. What kind of business is this!!! They are bullies and liars!! I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General, anyone care to join me please contact me by email.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I had previously, signed up for their service without reading the reviews. Birch claimed that they can save my company money as well as provide faster internet service. A installer arrived to disconnect my current service with CenturyLink. This installer arrive without any equipment stating that he was here to turn off my service and he wasn't sure when I was to get service with Birch. This installer revealed that he just did the same thing with another company, and they are still waiting for Birch to come and complete install. Attempted to call Birch, left a message, that I can't not be without internet for any amount of time. Eventually, said no to their tactics and starting to receive bills for $400.00, ignored those bills because they didn't install. No early termination fee was explain. Never received any information about their fees. The fee agreement has been forwarded to collections.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We are business and need our 5 phone lines to operate. Our business is in Tuscaloosa, Al. We switched providers after Birch Communications increased our phone bill for no reason and then failed to correct it. They have inadequate customer service as we have not ever been able to reach a representative without hold times that are excessive, such as 30 minutes or longer. They also have caused us to incur tech expense for their failed service. When we switched to Comcast, Birch failed to port all lines and only ported one line.They had 30 days notice to do this. This resulted in the loss of our main lines, further tech expense, and more importantly the loss of business revenue. Birch needs to compensate us for these losses or it should cease to provide business service in Alabama.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I own a supermarket, over the long years I've been with C- beyond now it's called Birch Communications, I am currently having problems with my internet. It's been 7 days without internet and they can't seem to find the problem. They says it's their vendor's fault which is At&T and according to AT&T it's Birch. Well it's been 7 days without internet which means my business can't accept credit cards, we can't do money transfers or pay utility bills, and most importantly I don't have a phone line either.

I've lost so much money in this 7 days and still no fix to this chaotic situation. All they can say is "I'm sorry, I apologized for all the inconvenience this might have caused. We're trying our best to fix the problem." Really 7 days and they still can't fix the problem. They have only offered to credit a month's worth of payment which equals $500.00 doesn't compare to all the money I've lost this week. I am so disappointed with the bad service they have provided and for their incompetence. I would never recommend this company and I am ready to move on and get another company.

Original review: May 2, 2017

This is simply the WORST company I have ever dealt with. They are incredibly incompetent; their policies are extremely harmful to customers; and they lack integrity in every single communication with them. My contract ended on 4/24/17, and I was told I needed to send them a letter (no email or call) a month before to cancel my service. I sent them a certified letter on 3/15/17 cancelling my service ASAP. They claim they received the letter on 4/4/17 (3 weeks later), and they said they would cancel the service 30 days from then. We sold the house and new owners moved in on 4/6/17.

Birch would NOT disconnect the service, however, even though it required the simple flip of a switch, so the new owner of the house has not been able to get any telephone or internet service for the last 26 days. I've talked to at least 5 people at Birch about this, and they say "too bad." I've also received a bill from them for all of April and all of May. They are simply crooks without a shred of integrity. This is not the first issue with them, as on average, it takes more than one-and-a-half hours to get through to a customer service person.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have been trying for over 4 hours to get an issue resolved. I left a callback # after being on hold for a long time. A man called me back and he did not know how to resolve the issue so he transferred me to another dept. After being on hold for a great amount of time, I called back and left a callback # again after being on hold for a long time again. Stephanie ** called me back. When I tried to explain why I was calling, she started talking and would not let me finish what I was saying. I told her she was getting snotty with me and she said she answered my question. I told her she did not because she didn't let me finish speaking, I was interrupted again.

When I asked if I could speak to someone else she said hold on. Stephanie came back on. When I asked if it was her she would not answer just kept asking what I needed. I asked if there was a supervisor I could speak to and she no one was there. I asked if there was a customer complaint line and she said, "No go to our website." And still after all of this, I do not have the issue resolved.

I am paying almost $100.00 a month for 1 home phone and wifi. I had contacted AT&T to see if I could bundle to lower my bill since I already have DirecTV and AT&T wifi. AT&T told me that Birch has me under a business account. That is what I was trying to find out when I called Birch. The man that I spoke to first said that he showed I have 1 home phone and 2 business lines. I only have 1 phone and that is my home phone. I do not have a business nor have I ever had a business. The sad thing is that I just paid my bill ahead of time like always so if I switch now I am afraid I will lose what I just paid. I need help resolving this issue and have had no luck with Birch. Please, let me know what I can do.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Zero stars. They are the worst internet provider ever. Reps constantly quit. There is no billing office. Billing never resolves any problems. They come onsite and solve nothing. Whatever they are promising you is a lie! Run away and never look back. Birch is a group of criminals.

Original review: March 28, 2017

My first ever review in my entire 37 years of life. Let's start by saying Birch says I owe them $6,000 in payments. One of my two locations cancelled their service in 2015. My other location cancelled their service September 2016. At each location, Birch sent an employee to retrieve their equipment. As many would think, about the current situation, all ties are finished with Birch Communication. So not true! Birch still auto renewed the service at both locations. I have been calling and dealing with them for over a year. Every time a customer service representative tells me that Birch has screwed up and they will fix the problem.

My current situation is by far from fixed. I received a bill stating I owe $3,101.23 and that the company was being sent to collections. So once again I called in hopes of the next person to once again say it's a mistake. Nope! Not this time. I spoke with Nancy at Birch. She not only informed me I owe 3K on one location, but also 3K on the other location. She said Birch has no record of me ever calling where a dispute was opened and they were sending me to collection unless I pay. I am in the process of locating all my paper work so I can see what happens. Hopefully our Attorney can help solve this matter. Everyone you have been warned! It really can't be said enough. This company should not be operating. Please don't make the mistake we did by using Birch. Go with Comcast, AT&T, Cox or any other provider. Trust me, you will be better off.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I never write reviews. But now I understand the people that say 'I never write them but this made me do it'. I have never thought companies can be so fraudulent and dishonest but according to a number of bad reviews and complaints apparently it is going on for some time. I have read they have been caught and fined 6.1M on Jan 3rd, 2017 so maybe this will stop.

I have been a victim of their fraudulent behavior where Century Link transferred me to them with no authorization. And do not get fooled people, if a guy comes to install Birch modem but wears CenturyLink t-shirt, they are in this together. But now I have received a final bill which I am scared to pay because when I call them, email them, or call the person who was monitoring cancellation process - NOBODY answers and I cannot get a hold of anyone who would assist me in any way! I am not even sure if I want to send a check because I do not know where it will go. Does anyone have any suggestion what to do? I do not want to be sent to collections and want to do that the right way.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

This is the 6th day of no phone service and spotty internet, and still no response from Birch. After I contacted them with the initial complaint of no phone service, I have not been able to reach ANYONE at Birch. We are a real estate company and our clients can not contact us. We can not call out. This would be bad enough if this was the first time this issue had occurred, but no, this is the second time. Each time the service is worse than the last. The customer service is nonexistent. I would recommend that you run as fast as you can if you are ever contacted by Birch or are thinking of changing your service to Birch. Horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I was a Sage customer forever. Became a Birch customer by acquisition. I only kept the landline for the purpose of 911 so didn't really care. But now I need to terminate the service. Every time I call and mention termination, I get disconnected. I've searched every inch of the website and can't find any other way to contact the company and terminate service, other than the customer service numbers which keep hanging up on me. After reading other reviews on this site, I should have terminated service as soon as I found out Sage would no longer be my phone provider. Can ANYONE advise on how to successfully terminate service???

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

My husband was called by a guy in this company. The guy asked my husband three questions: 1. "Do you want to save money?" "Yes." 2. "Would you like cheaper bills?" "Yes." 3. "Do you have long distance?" "Yes." That quick he was supposedly now a Birch customer. WOW. How easy was that (Right). I called this company not 30 minutes later and cancelled. We thought it was over. NOPE! A few weeks later we get a contract. Which we just threw in the trash. Now we're getting collection calls to pay an early termination fee. Each time they call it goes up in amount. Not one person in that place can replay the conversation that Birch had with hubby. WHAT A SCAM!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I was a Cbeyond customer for 8 years and loved their customer service. Well let's just say that Birch didn't take any notes from Cbeyond and their customer service was horrible. They assigned us multiple customer service reps over a year who all continued to drop the ball. Joey ** was the worst so all of bills were wrong and I disputed each bill every month. Fast forward almost two years later and surprise, they sent us to collections after closing out account. I am very glad that we are finished with them and I wouldn't recommend Birch to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I would give zero stars if allowed. The worst experience in my business career. We used to have CBeyond before they became Birch. CBeyond was a wonderful company with great service, and great customer service. Birch has to be the worst. Long wait times. They do not monitor their T1 lines like Cbeyond did so it’s up to you to alert them for trouble, and basically yes or no answers from any help tech. I've been trying to disconnect for 3 months now and it has been the most troublesome task. Now they tell me I have to mail the equipment back on my dime or they want to charge me $200 to have someone pick it up!! They make you jump through so many hoops. It's ridiculous. I can't see how this company is still in business. Take a very close look and analyze everything from this company before you even consider using them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

After switching to Spectrum which I am very happy with, I kept receiving bills on my internet from birch. They switched my phone lines but was informed later after several months that I physically had to ask for my internet to be changed. If they can change my phone lines why can't they change my internet. Once problem was figured out I canceled it. Now they are telling me I am responsible for 30 more days while they make the switch. This is total B.S.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I didn't think it was possible, but I received 3 calls from Birch Communication about switching from CenturyLink to Birch, and each Birch rep was dumber than the one before! They told me they were a re-seller of lines for Century Link and could save me $100.00 a month. When I asked them to look over the proposal they faxed me, it did not match my Century Link services at all. No voice mail, no 800#, 1/4 of the internet speed I currently use, etc. I would rather use two tin cans with a wire between them than use Birch Communications!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

A year ago I attempted to leave the Birch pile. Because I did not divorce them properly, they dinged me for early termination @ $600 and, in February, I had to promise I would remain in their grasp till the end of my contract - that being a mid-November. I called in September and confirmed the end of my contract was November 15. I paid today (10-18) for the final month and then called to kiss them off. Now, they tell me that I must stay with them till February. They can't produce the voice copy of my supposedly February promise to stay indentured. Their business model is not based on service, but on added fees and unannounced price increases. There no way to get out of their crooked little house. Beware - Run - Hide!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Trying to reach them all day at customer service but the line is out of order. Tells you the quality you are dealing with considering they are supposedly a phone company. They also entered me into a contract without my knowledge that can only be cancelled one month out of the year. Every time I've called tech support I've had to wait three days for a callback. Very sad and pathetic. Time to order Magic Jack.

Birch expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Founded in 1996, Birch serves more than 200,000 business customers. Birch is an industry-leading voice, data and hosting provider for small to mid-sized businesses, while also offering enterprise-level solutions.​

• Works with your existing PBX: As a business VoIP provider, Birch offers a complete range of services that replace or work with a PBX. In integrated voice-and-data accounts, it dynamically allocates bandwidth as needed.

• Mobile service on the same bill: Instead of dealing with multiple vendors for telecommunications services, Birch offers an all-in-one solution, enabling you to take your workforce from the office to the street.

• Granular call treatment: With Birch's user interface, you can turn off call waiting for specific numbers, ensuring that some callers will never be interrupted. Birch's Repeat Dialing feature keeps dialing a busy number for you until the call goes through.

• Migrate to the cloud: Birch takes VoIP services to the highest level, transitioning data to the cloud for added flexibility and security.

• Certified for excellence: Birch has been repeatedly recognized for its exceptional call center service, guaranteeing customers a quick resolution to problems.

• Best for: Small businesses to large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Birch Company Information