Birch
1.02/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Birch (formerly Cbeyond)

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

143 Birch Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 23, 2019

I ported my phone numbers away from Birch to Total Wireless before the next billing date, but they kept right on taking money from my checking account on auto-pay. When I called and threatened to do a charge-back with my bank, the lady at Birch informed me I was under contract (by auto renewal) and that there would be a $133.00 early termination charge. If I refused to pay it, they would have to report that on my credit. WTF??? That's how they treat loyal customers of 6 years. How can an auto-renewal be legal and binding. BUYER BEWARE - This is a nightmare of a company that will rip you off any way they can.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been with Birch for over 15 years. Every time I call for disconnect they informed me I have a contract with them. Which is not true at all. According to customer service, my contract renews every year automatically. I have called several times to make sure they leave a note for my account not to renew my contract and inform me when it's due. Customer rep is never able to help me to check what is my actual renewal date. It always takes for them several minutes to come on help as soon as I tell them the reason for my call. I have tried this for the last 6 years since their internet service is not good at all. I will not recommend this company to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We are a cardiology office that has used Birch, which was CBeyond in previous years. We use the virtual receptionist for after hours. I tried to change my message to the doctor on call and their system wasn't working. I called the customer service, which is done by some company they merged with, Fusion and was put off like they had better things to do than help their clients. We have urgent situations in cardiology and they said they weren't sure when the service would be back up, they had been working on it for a week and a half but maybe in another week!! I told them "do you realize this is our after hours service for heart patients." I was told well there's nothing they can do. They would call me when it's working again.

I asked to talk to a manager and they told me they were busy and they would call right back when they were finished with current call... 16 hours later NO CALL. I called back the next day. Was put on hold for 45 min then conveniently disconnected. We tried to get out of our contract last year but they conveniently said we didn't jump thru some hoops so we had to pay for another year. They really don't want to deal with small companies... Not sure why they didn't just let us go. I am now cancelling our contract and jumping thru the hoops to make sure there are no excuses. Think twice about this company, especially if you are a smaller company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My mother received a letter from Birch advising that Fios needed to be and an appointment needed to be made for a technician to come into the home. They provided 4 telephone number to make the appointment. When calling the numbers, 2 of them were disconnected and the other 2 went to voicemail. Messages were left, no one returned the calls. Weeks later another letter arrived stating the same information as the first, with the same telephone numbers. Again, 2 numbers were disconnected and 2 went to voicemail where messages were left again... no calls were ever returned.

Two weeks later, the phone was disconnected by Birch. Many, many, many phone calls were placed, left on hold for over an hour, guessing I would hang up. Always had to wait on hold when I called. Finally on 3 separate calls, spoke to someone who always told me they would call me back, but never did. 2 weeks later a Verizon tech shows up and no one was home. No one called to tell us they were coming. Total lack of communication from a telephone COMMUNICATION company... VERY, VERY BAD. Switched my service as soon as the phone was restored.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have had no problem with the 800 number provided by Birch and I do not dispute any charges I have received for the Birch service but Birch needs to make some changes in the way their webpage is set up and in the way their customer service works. For years I had to call Birch every time I made a payment but they finally allowed consumers to set up paperless billing and auto payments. My most recent problem with the Birch website was that I could not update my Payment Information. So now my account shows two months payments due. I finally reached someone by phone who could change my Credit Card information. I think my account will be fine until I have to change the CC information again.

The Birch website needs a page where consumers can change their Payment Method online. Perhaps calling a representative isn't a problem for most people but it is an inconvenience for me. Additionally, Birch needs to create a way for consumers to provide feedback, then perhaps they could address some of the problems their customers have with their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Birch?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Birch's customer service completely failed to respond to my complaints, except to tell me it's my fax at fault. The single line I have used BIRCH service for has a single purpose: Fax. They can't seem to make it work. Since my automatic payments slid by my casual review of cc bills, they have been paid for nearly no service for many months now. I get spam incoming, but nothing I send reaches its addressee, so now I go to Staples or FedEx to fax out. I thought I canceled their "service" and did not update my cc with them or responded to their mailed items. Now, I've received a SERVICE TERMINATION NOTICE, all very pretentious and official-looking!

They tell me they have tried many times to reach me by phone calls, but THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN MESSAGES FROM THEM ON MY ANSWERING SYSTEM! My cell has no messages. They claim that they require entry to replace interior copper wiring with fiber optics. This is nonsense. I have FIOS, and yet my phone line with Verizon is copper, not fiber optics. Fiber optical systems are outside, BIRCH! Your assertion is just another attempt to fob off your problematic system on a (former) subscriber. Canceling BIRCH T. O. D. A. Y. Humorous side note: The termination letter says my service has been suspended. I can't tell the difference.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

CBeyond provide good but overpriced internet/phone service. CBeyond was then purchased by Birch. For the first year or so with Birch, the service was excellent and superior to CBeyond's service. During 2017/2018, Birch's customer service went downhill fast. Our business relies heavily on our fax machine. When our faxed business referrals were not being received, we contacted Birch. They had someone look at our Birch on-site equipment and said everything is fine on their end. They said it is our fax machine.

I purchased a new $500 fax machine, and we still did not receive our faxed business referrals. Then, Birch said the problem is the wiring in our building. So, I hired 2 ex AT&T wiring specialists. They connected Birch's equipment directly to the fax to bypass any potential wiring issues. Our faxes still were not coming through. Still, despite all the evidence, Birch was in denial and would not change their repair or replace their equipment in our office. Additionally, I had billing issues after switching to AT&T directly. Birch was still billing for services even though I informed Birch that I am terminating all services with them. I ending up paying an additional $1,000 or they were going to send us to collections.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Phone service was horrible at best. Only worked intermittently and then not at all. Tried dozens of times to contact them but they don't answer email or phone calls. Probably because everyone is contacting them to complain or cancel service. I could not be more disappointed with a company that I have done business with.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I signed a 36 month contract. Before the end of the contract I called a representative. I distinctly remember the conversation and I was assured the contract was ended. Then I got another bill. When I called customer service they told me I had not called AND that the contract had been "automatically renewed" for another year. They said if I wanted "early termination" I would have to pay $225.00. I have filed a complaint with the FCC.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We owned a store in Illinois and the phone and internet services were provided by Birch. What can I say about this company! They are the worst company I ever had to deal with. Their service was ** but on top of that, their customer service was the worst! They charged me early termination fee because we ended up selling the store and we notify them about selling the store. It does not make sense charging someone a fee when they do not have the business. WORST COMPANY EVER AND I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.

Birch expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Founded in 1996, Birch serves more than 200,000 business customers. Birch is an industry-leading voice, data and hosting provider for small to mid-sized businesses, while also offering enterprise-level solutions.​

• Works with your existing PBX: As a business VoIP provider, Birch offers a complete range of services that replace or work with a PBX. In integrated voice-and-data accounts, it dynamically allocates bandwidth as needed.

• Mobile service on the same bill: Instead of dealing with multiple vendors for telecommunications services, Birch offers an all-in-one solution, enabling you to take your workforce from the office to the street.

• Granular call treatment: With Birch's user interface, you can turn off call waiting for specific numbers, ensuring that some callers will never be interrupted. Birch's Repeat Dialing feature keeps dialing a busy number for you until the call goes through.

• Migrate to the cloud: Birch takes VoIP services to the highest level, transitioning data to the cloud for added flexibility and security.

• Certified for excellence: Birch has been repeatedly recognized for its exceptional call center service, guaranteeing customers a quick resolution to problems.

• Best for: Small businesses to large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Birch Company Information