3.8/5 (751 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I had issue with my husband's phone and called customer service feeling frustrated but was greeted with this wonderful young man named Torron! He had such great energy and positive attitude that it just made my day better! I think everyone at customer service could learn from Torron and he deserve stars or medals for putting great ratings for At&t. Torron thank you!

Original review: June 4, 2022

Yesterday I wrote a scathing review about T-Mobile. And when they texted to ask for a rating I gave them all zeroes. They called me today, I suppose, to rectify the matter. I should have known better. I have an internet account with AT&T so i gave them a call and asked if they would like to add wireless to the current account. I don’t mean to sound prejudiced, but even today, while I spoke to two of T-Mobile’s “Indian Experts”, I needed to ask them to repeat themselves and speak slowly several times. And when I asked for details, I really believe they did not have enough American English language skills to reply. Can you believe that the person who answered my call is a Bona-Fide American? YES! Her name was ASHLEY. She was totally wonderful. It took time to go through it all, but she was a real Champ. She knew her job inside and out and was totally professional, patient, and resourceful.

When I spoke with T-Mobile the “Indian Expert” did a credit check and told me I failed. I happen to have a “Very Good” credit rating, so that was the last straw. Ashley checked my credit and within minutes she was transferring my phone number and everything else to my AT&T account. So, I think Ashley should get a raise and I can say AT&T is the BEST! Plus, my bill is less too!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I switched from sprint to AT&T in 2012 been with them ever since. I added home internet service in 2020 which I’m also very satisfied with. Both my wireless and internet service are fast, reliable, affordable, account management everything from bill pay, upgrading, changing plans, are simple and convenient. Customer service is excellent, sales, technical support... I honestly never once had a bad experience with a customer service rep. They’re 100% helpful, friendly, reliable, knowledgeable, go above and beyond to give me whatever I need. That says a lot Coming from someone who’s called customer service A LOT for all types of situations over the years, several being out of the ordinary and difficult to figure out. This is also coming from someone who’s Had wireless and internet with many other companies. I doubt I will ever switch to another company. And I highly recommend AT&T to anyone who needs fast reliable affordable service.

Sincerely

Lisa M

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

WE have been members with this company for 5+ years and have never had a problem with them. Always on time with our bills, but if we need to miss a month we aren’t penalized for missing a month Which makes this service even better.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

We switched from another carrier due to high bills and bad customer service. When we started with AT&T, we notice no dropped calls, better customer service and easier bills to understand. The plans were much cheaper than our previous provider. We got some additional incentives for being military, and we sure do appreciate the recognizing our military. I’m not sure if we’ll upgrade anything but I’m glad we’re with this company. Thanks for great service. Keep up the good work.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I switched to AT&T due to an ad detailing their prices. Went to the AT&T store and they were very helpful, however, once everything was paid for and we left, everything changed. The new phones were sent with instructions to set them up ourselves. Called the store and told them they told me they would do it, they said that was optional. Had them do the set up. They gave us the labels and boxes to return the old phones. Cleaned all the data and mailed them back in July.

First bill comes and it is nothing like what the store told us, much more. Went again to the store and they attempted to fix it. Next month, still same and still no credit for the returned phones. The store said it takes 4-5 months to get the credit - really? 4 months later, still no discounts as promised and still no credit on phones. Call them and they say they never received the phones. I have the receipt documents from UPS with signatures from the person who took the packages, sent them over with the phone serial numbers and all the labels, everything. Said they had to investigate, still waiting for a response. 4 months later, nothing is resolved, I should have stayed with T-Mobile. Regret switching to AT&T. I will open a complaint if I do not receive credit for my 2 phones returned.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

In February 2022 during an online chat with a representative of AT&T I was approached with an offer for an iPhone 12 with the total price being $180 paid at $5 a month. During this conversation I specifically asked, "If I decided to leave AT&T I would only have to pay the 180$ minus the $5 monthly payments I had already made." I was told, "Yes that is correct." I went a step further and said, "If the iPhone 12 is only $180 total and I only have to pay the remainder of that total if I leave AT&T before the phone is paid in full, I will take one." Again, I was told, "Yes that is correct." I went online today to pay off the device and it shows I owe $547.47.

After speaking to numerous employees, I was told by a manager named Aaron that they do not have to honor what was told to me on the chat because the employee made a mistake. I however before agreeing to the upgrade proceeded with due diligence and relied on what I was told by the AT&T employee, and I agreed to the upgrade based completely on what I was told by the employee. I am more than happy to pay the amount for the device that I was quoted, however I should not have to pay for a mistake or even worse deceptive sales practices by an AT&T employee. I have a copy of the chat transcript from AT&T showing exactly what I was told to get me to purchase the device that they now will not honor.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Supervisor "Nadia **", who refused to provide her ID number, admitted to me that the AT&T store where I bought my phone messed up when they sold me the phone. She said they dropped the ball in recording the proper IMEI number for the phone onto my account and put it under the wrong phone number, even though my daughter has been using another phone number (also listed on the account) for her phone. This has caused an issue with me getting her broken phone repaired through insurance. She said the phone call was being recorded and when I later called her out on admitting the mistake, she said she didn't say that. She is a liar and is willing to lose a cell phone, TV and internet customer over it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Moved 8 phone lines over, well still trying to move them over. Would never do this again. Feel totally misled by the sales rep. 100 % lied to by the sales rep, Can't properly describe the disgust I feel with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Been with AT&T for over a decade. They used to be a good company but not anymore. One thing is for certain, you will pay much more than they tell you you'll pay. They are very crafty on how they do it. They provide "promotions" that will lock you into a particular amount of time and/or product. The bill they say you will pay seems reasonable, maybe even cheap compared to the service you are getting. The first few months, they explain, will be a little higher until the promotion rate kicks in. This is a strategy called "conditioning". They are conditioning you to realize your plan really costs that much. So when the promotion kicks in, you are relieved to be paying the amount you expected from the beginning. Everything is fine for a while (12-18 months). Then promotions start wearing off. Overnight your bill can jump astronomically.

For me, I have 5 lines for my entire family. Each line was given a loyalty promotion of $10 - $15 dollars off. This is a promotion that AT&T use to make the plan affordable. This loyalty program is designed to make the plan affordable at the beginning and then after you are well into your contract/installment plan, the loyalty program expires. Now, your plan goes up $50-$75 dollars a month, every month. So now you're paying a lot more for the same product. But there is good news, if you renew, they can offer you the loyalty plan again on a new contract. Starting the cycle all over again. The only way out, pay the extra $50-$75 a month for the next 6-12 months or pay a one time buyout of $200- $450. It's a great system if you own stock in AT&T but not if you are a customer.

To summarize, their loyalty program just means that you will have to be loyal to them or pay hefty for your freedom. Just sad really, there was a time that I used to praise AT&T. I believed they were the best. Even convinced my wife and her extended family to switch. Most have since paid their way out but we stuck around until AT&T pulled another bait and switch. We are now officially looking (for another option) and willing to pay most anything to stop the bleeding here with AT&T. I miss the good old days when AT&T was a customer centered business.

AT&T Wireless Company Information