3.9/5 (1447 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: June 4, 2022

Yesterday I wrote a scathing review about T-Mobile. And when they texted to ask for a rating I gave them all zeroes. They called me today, I suppose, to rectify the matter. I should have known better. I have an internet account with AT&T so i gave them a call and asked if they would like to add wireless to the current account. I don’t mean to sound prejudiced, but even today, while I spoke to two of T-Mobile’s “Indian Experts”, I needed to ask them to repeat themselves and speak slowly several times. And when I asked for details, I really believe they did not have enough American English language skills to reply. Can you believe that the person who answered my call is a Bona-Fide American? YES! Her name was ASHLEY. She was totally wonderful. It took time to go through it all, but she was a real Champ. She knew her job inside and out and was totally professional, patient, and resourceful.

When I spoke with T-Mobile the “Indian Expert” did a credit check and told me I failed. I happen to have a “Very Good” credit rating, so that was the last straw. Ashley checked my credit and within minutes she was transferring my phone number and everything else to my AT&T account. So, I think Ashley should get a raise and I can say AT&T is the BEST! Plus, my bill is less too!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I switched from sprint to AT&T in 2012 been with them ever since. I added home internet service in 2020 which I’m also very satisfied with. Both my wireless and internet service are fast, reliable, affordable, account management everything from bill pay, upgrading, changing plans, are simple and convenient. Customer service is excellent, sales, technical support... I honestly never once had a bad experience with a customer service rep. They’re 100% helpful, friendly, reliable, knowledgeable, go above and beyond to give me whatever I need. That says a lot Coming from someone who’s called customer service A LOT for all types of situations over the years, several being out of the ordinary and difficult to figure out. This is also coming from someone who’s Had wireless and internet with many other companies. I doubt I will ever switch to another company. And I highly recommend AT&T to anyone who needs fast reliable affordable service.

Sincerely

Lisa M

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

We switched from another carrier due to high bills and bad customer service. When we started with AT&T, we notice no dropped calls, better customer service and easier bills to understand. The plans were much cheaper than our previous provider. We got some additional incentives for being military, and we sure do appreciate the recognizing our military. I’m not sure if we’ll upgrade anything but I’m glad we’re with this company. Thanks for great service. Keep up the good work.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Overall, they have been a pretty good and a dependable company. My biggest issue is when I upgrade my lines, every couple of years, they always say all these fees are being waived but I always have to call in and spend 3 hours on the line disputing the charges. Granted, they have always removed them it but the hassle of having to spend 3 hours of a busy day on the phone is unnecessary. I recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have been with AT&T since 2007. I have always been happy with their customer service. It was the best. In the past two years I can however tell something is different and not for the good. I have such a hard time getting in touch with an actual person and then automated stuff is a joke- it never heard correctly and you get redirected I. Circles then the call disconnects - ugh. Honestly when it comes to getting in touch with someone on the phone I feel humans work best.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

So my husband and I switched plans to AT&T almost 3 months ago. We signed up in our local Sam’s Club in Delaware with John who is the manager. We were told with signing up our activation fees for our 4 lines would be waived, we would be getting a discount for being Sam’s Club members, we would be getting the nurses discount, and a $1100 credit for trading in 2 of our phones.

We were told our bill would be $115-120 for all 4 of our lines, needless to say that has not happened. We have been charged our activation fees as well as auto pay and paperless billing which we were enrolled in from the beginning of our term and the list goes on from other bogus charges that have been slipped into our bill. Needless to say, we have been having problems with our bill since we switched. Our first bill was around $480, our second bill was $185 and now after checking yesterday my third bill due is going to be over $900! I have been talking with customer service, the escalations team, and multiple managers from this department since July (3 weeks now). I have still not gotten a resolution to my problem and I have talked to between 6-10 different people.

Every time I talk to Sony they have to put a request in and it takes 1-3 business days for it to be answered or for someone to get back to me. But it didn’t take those 1-3 business days for you to take my money. I have been given the runaround and have not gotten any answers from anyone as to why my bill is so expensive, when will I be getting my discount and credit and how can I can my credit for the overpayment of my first 2 bills that have been paid. If you want to switch your service, please don’t switch to AT&T, they are a complete joke and you never get the same answer twice. I will never recommend this company! Please to save yourself time, money and the headache, switch to anyone but them!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

We're located in Waltham, MA. Since August 8th, our phones suddenly stopped working for outgoing calls or receiving calls. Initially thought it was a phone problem until we realize there was an outage, and the outage reported on the AT&T website, which said that the outage will continue until Aug 10th. There was no text alert to let us know. We pay hundreds of dollars for 3 lines, my elderly mother couldn't reach me, I couldn't reach our businesses. And no apologies, no alert to let us know what's going on, their online chat is a bot that doesn't can only suggest how to troubleshoot your phone, but it's not a phone issue. Terrible service.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

We have been with AT&T for about 1 year. The service was decent. We decided to switch to Google Fi because it is cheaper and we don't like the company getting involved in politics. It took 4 hours on the phone and 8 transfer codes and talking to customer service, transporting numbers and fraud department, each department at least twice, to get this done. What a mess and waste of time.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Last Friday on 7/22/22 I called AT&T to ask some questions about automated messages I had received. “Destiny”, the agent offered for me to try a new data plan for my phone at no extra cost. She said if I didn’t like it, I could switch back to the old plan within 30 days. After 1 week of much slower data speeds for my wife and my phones. I called ATT back. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with multiple agents, and they are claiming that Destiny lied and we can’t go back to our old plan. This is a breach of the contract I agreed to on 7/22/22. I pay my ATT bill every month, so I fulfill my obligations, now it’s time for ATT to follow through with their part of the agreement.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I have been an AT&T customer for over a decade and it is an absolute nightmare to deal with them. I am moving to a different service provider and would recommend others do the same. There is no consistency in their responses. Every time you call, you are routed to a different representative who gives a different response. The plans are expensive and they overcharge you consistently. It is sad that their service standards is so poor.

AT&T Wireless Company Information