3.6/5 (1347 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Through Walmart we were sold a package for $45 a month only to find out there is no such package when we were billed $60 for the monthly charge...$30 for activation (which we weren't informed of upon signing up)...and will be charged $45 to cancel the account (which we were told was charge free). When I contacted AT&T and spoke with a supervisor, she apologized for all of the misinformation and said "I wish we could honor the package you were sold". Gee, what a novel idea - honor what you sold.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Not reliable! I used to live in the South Port Apartment (Belleville, Michigan) and AT&T was the only option for the Internet. So, I had to make an account during my stay. After 5 months, I moved to another place and I DID return back the device to the company through Fedex (as they mentioned in returning structure). Last night, I noticed they gave my information to a collection agency to made a new account regarding I have never returned the device back and claimed the fee (120$). They reported it in to my Credit Karma to affect my credit!!!! Who are these people??? Unbelievable!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Where did their customer service go? It takes an average of 8-15 minutes to get in touch with a real person when you have an issue with your account. But then that real person is not the right real person. So they transfer you back to a machine. Then another 8-15 minutes later you get in touch with a second real person. But alas, that real person is also not THE real person that you need to speak with, so guess what? Back to the machine.

8-15 minutes later, a third real person! Rinse and repeat for approximately 1 hour and maybe you get to the person that can actually help you. But then the call gets dropped (that dratted terrible AT&T Wireless coverage). And do they call you back?? Nope! Because a telecommunications company cannot make outbound calls apparently. So back to the machine for another hour. If you're lucky, a week or two later maybe your issue will be resolved by a lackluster mid-level manager who hates life and gives 0 cares about whether you are happy or whether they lose your business. That about sum up AT&T? --AT&T Wireless and Home Internet Customer (for now)

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

AT&T Prepaid is fine if you have no issues, but if you have a problem, getting help is nearly impossible. Being on hold for over two hours to get technical help to activate service or troubleshoot lack of service, only to be placed on hold continuously, given the run-around, continuing to not address the issue, telling you you'll have to wait 24-48 hours to before a technician MIGHT be able to call you (but your phone service isn't on so...) or MIGHT email you. It's the worst customer service ever.

I've unfortunately dealt with this for several years, and it's time to switch companies. Do not sign up for this service. Their online interface is awful, you constantly have to reset your account pin code, literally every time you log in, even if you've reset it minutes before. Go with Credo Mobile, or some other alternative. Don't put yourself through the many inconveniences that come along with this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Back in December 2019 I got new cell phone service looking into paying around 130 for three lines, with our own phones. The representative at the store sold us exactly the plan we were looking for (according to him) but with new cell phones included! Then when we realized (less than a month) we were having to pay more than 300 dollars per month, we went back to cancel, because that was not what we were told. It was way more than what we were expecting. So we cancelled and we returned the new phones, We got a receipt to prove it. But now we are being charged with close to 3,000 dollars. Because according to ATT we never returned the phones. Now I have been sent to collections and I have gone back and forth to the store, and nobody can help me. The representative at the store tell me that the manager is going to resolve it and they never do. I call ATT and nobody can help me. I am so tired!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

My husband and I switched our service… My husband and I switched our service from Verizon to AT&T on Thursday September 2, 2021. We had two iPhone 12s shipped to us. First problem the phones wouldn’t activate so we had to call the 800 number. Of course the person spoke horrible English so he was very hard to understand. When it wouldn’t activate we were transferred to another person whose English was even worse. After 1 1/2 hours the phones finally were activated. After setting the phone up my husband's wouldn’t get internet nor could he use data. So..back on the phone to customer service.

After another 2 1/2 hours the advanced technical support guy told my husband that there was something wrong with the phone and he needed to return it to the AT&T corporate store. So the next day he did that. They refused to take it and exchange it. They told him to send it to Apple for exchange even though we received it from AT&T. So I got back on the phone and talked to the loyalty department and she made notes on the account for the corporate store that they needed to exchange the phone. The store refused..said they didn’t care what the loyalty department said they were not going to do it. They said Apple wouldn’t allow them to do it, that’s a lie because I had already talked to Apple. This corporate store we went to is in Valdosta Georgia. They were apparently mad that they didn’t get the sale and absolutely REFUSED to help us. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Bought new phones from AT&T. (SATURDAY) GALAXY S21 5G. Transferred from old phone all files music pics etc... After transfer all music and pics wiped out. Annoying and negligent on their part. Reinstalled my music from other computer. After this FILE INVALID came up and music won't play and it wrecked the music player. Their customer service (IGNORANCE) refuses to do anything about it besides a FACTORY RESET (WRECKS EVERYTHING). BEWARE OF THIS PHONE!!! Beware of AT&T and its deception and horrid service!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Been a customer of this company for 5 yrs. Phones were disconnected in error, their error. Service attendants (whose primary language wasn't English) refused to work with me. And mislead me several times and refused to correct the error. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM. They will bill you for the full month even if your service was cancelled or suspended. After being feed up with their poor service, I tried to leave them, they refused to release my phones. I will never return to AT&T. Out of all of the carriers I have been with they have the worse customer service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

AT&T is sending out messages that 3G phones are not going to work anymore. When you inquire about it they offer an appealing option that locks you in for another 2 years when in reality you do not need to take any action at all. If you wait you will get a free phone that will work on the new network. When I inquired they said that I would save money by closing my account and opening a new unlimited plan. That decision locked me in for 2 years, added an extra line and increased my bill. They want $1200 to undo this, then I can have my free phone. Don't let AT&T switch your plan when all you need is a replacement phone.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I have been a loyal customer with AT&T for 10+ years now. They were very good when I was a new customer to them. Over the past 9 months they have been a nightmare. I have been trying to straighten out a billing issue since December. Every single time I would contact customer service or get so angry that I couldn't get a live person on the phone, I would drive to the closest corporate store just to speak with someone. I am not lying when I tell you that each time I did get to speak with someone I was promised that my billing issues would be taken care of, or I was told "Sorry I can't help you," since the error was my mistake I need to pay my bill or my service will be suspended.

Most recently they have added an additional phone line to my plan (that I did not authorize) which has of course increased my monthly bill. I have tried multiple times to have them remove it, of course nothing was done. The best part of my story is I just received this month's bill and the additional line that was added months ago now shows that this number belongs to an Apple watch that I also never purchased and has added an additional charge of $108.00 per month. Are freaking kidding me!!!

I am done with AT&T and their fraudulent charges and ROBOT customer service. Obviously loyalty means nothing to them, they just care about taking all your money. Oh, and one last thing, I am an essential frontline worker in the medical field and since the start of this global pandemic I have not missed one day of work and I put myself at risk everyday, but I am ok with that because it's THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Just a little hint for AT&T's corporate suits who sit in their big offices everyday just making sure that their bottom line keeps growing and don't even give a second thought to people like myself who struggle to keep food on the table for my children and live paycheck to paycheck. The only reason I have a cell phone is because it is essential for my job, but since I cannot afford to pay an $800.00 fraudulent cell phone bill I will just have figure out another way to keep my job.

AT&T Wireless Company Information