3.7/5 (228 ratings)

About 8x8

8x8 delivers cloud-based business communications solutions that are affordable, easy to use, and incredibly advanced. We help businesses serve their customers better, work smarter and conduct business anywhere, anytime. From hosted VoIP business phone service to hosted contact centers to unified communications, our services are proven, reliable and less expensive than traditional solutions.

8x8 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?

Original review: April 2, 2021

Beware of 8x8 service agreement. They trick you into what they call “automatic” yearly renewal commitments. According to them if you try to cancel you’ll be liable for the years payment balance. It’s also impossible to get their customer service on the phone unless it’s for a new sale. It just took me over a week to get a call back to request a service cancellation.

8x8 response

Good day Yaniv. We are sorry to hear about your issues with your service contract. Please know that this is stated on the 8x8's current Terms and Conditions and sections 2.1, 2.3.1, 11 & 12 of your existing service agreement for further cancelation details.

Reference: https://support.8x8.com/support-services/billing-account-management/how-to-cancel-an-8x8-account-or-extension

If there are any disparity with your contract please DM us your cancellation case ID and we will check.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I would avoid 8x8 if at all possible. If you are looking for a smooth resolution then 8x8 is not the way to go. When trying to contact 8x8 it is a hit or miss. Even if you do get a human they cannot help you and have to transfer you to advanced support. When I was told I would receive a call back my phone would ring 1 time and then they would hang up. When I would reach out all they would say is they are notating the account. It takes days to reach the proper person to help and the customer service is horrible. They do not use basic courtesy and are rude to deal with. We will be looking for a new service as soon as our contract is up.

8x8 response

Hello Earl, thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review about your experience with our service. We are disheartened to hear about your overall experience with us. We will escalate this matter internally so we could have a faster resolution about your technical concern. If anything like this happens again, please write us on reviews@8x8.com together with your account details so we could have a support follow up ASAP. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Unbelievably poor customer service!! Impossible to connect with a human being to stop my subscription so I had to resort to calling my credit card and telling them to refuse and block any further payments thinking that would prod a human being to call me....when they call it comes up as spam so I dont answer the phone. They leave a message with a number- 1-888-898-8733.. I call and get told to go online and speak to OTTO, a ROBOT who can answer all my questions...

After numerous attempts to reach a human being, I finally was able to reach someone in the sales department who put me in contact with the "right person " and I received a confirmation email my service was cancelled...and today I got another phone call marked spam with a voice mail telling me they can't process my payment! Amazing. The difference from when I started my service...couldn't get enough customer support. Now you can't reach a human being. Do not use this service!

8x8 response

Good day Lisa, sorry to hear about your issues reaching out to our support. Can you please message us your account information? Thank you

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I was with 8x8 for 3 months shy of a year. Calls seemed good quality but, the company is not ideal. Any time I tried to get help they wouldn’t help me, either I couldn’t get a hold of someone or they would tell me to get a hold of my rep. I had no clue who my rep was and apparently they couldn’t tell me. Eventually I got the name of the person but, they apparently didn’t know his email. I was frustrated being the system is not user friendly at all! Just setting it all up was difficult. Making a call was fine.

So since I couldn’t get help on the issues I decided to cancel. I can understand with paying a cancelation fee of $99 like I was told but now it’s $119 plus I have to pay for the last 3 months of service. So I would be paying even more than if I just kept it the extra 3 months! You would think with the issues I had with it they would at least cancel the cancelation fee. DO NOT GO WITH 8x8. I went with Vonage and it’s user friendly and I get help when I need it. Sent an email back telling the rep I will just not cancel and pay the remaining 3 months! So stupid.

8x8 response

Good day Julie, My name is Joe of 8x8. First off we are sorry to hear about your issues with your accounts policy. Unfortunately there is a fee for early termination of contract and its stated on the terms and condition. If you are having issues reaching out to support and is not getting full help, we will review and check your concern. Will you be able to share your latest case ID? Please send it to us via private response.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I would consider looking elsewhere when looking for a VoIP solution. After 10 years as a customer, our business needs changed. 8x8 claims the Terms of Service include an annual auto-renew of their service. Talking to someone on the phone is almost impossible. This also leaves a terrible end to our relationship with them. I would definitely look at other solution partners.

8x8 response

Good day Todd, we are sorry to hear about your issues with account policies. Unfortunately the amount you owe will vary based on your service agreement. Typical charges include any unpaid usage fees, disconnection or termination fees, and any past due amounts.

If there are discrepancies about the charges incurred please share and DM us your account information so we can investigate. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

We have had 8x8 VOIP for several years and are quite dissatisfied. We can't use headphones or free our staff from desk phones. They will not answer their phones, email, texts or any other communications for service. They are debiting our bank for monthly payments, yet we can't reach anyone to help. They are holding our long time phone number hostage. I would steer clear.

8x8 response

Good day Jan, we are sorry to hear about your issues with support. Can you please DM us your latest case ID together with your account details? Thank you

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I will admit there are times when I would give 8x8 five stars. When everything goes smoothly they have an excellent product. However, there are numerous issues, most already mentioned by others, that have put me in the market for a replacement.

1. Sales staff will say things that are blatantly untrue or incredibly deceptive. For example "Can we add and remove lines at any time?" "Yes of course you can." "Are their any fees." "No fees." But if you cancel a line outside of the 30day window around your contract renewal you will be charged for however many months remain until that renewal. We nearly canceled the first time this happened and when we complained were assured it would not happen again. And it did.

2. Support has never been great and as mentioned by many others it has gotten much worse recently. For example; I have a ticket in the system now. It should be a straightforward issue to change an extension number but the management interface is returning an error. Instead of simply fixing the issue I've gotten a couple of call backs that I missed. They will update the ticket that they tried to call and give me a number to call them but when I call it it refers me back to the online self-service and hangs up. What they will not do is simply say why they need to speak to me or what additional information they need. If so I would enter the information online and be done. Oh and according to my Verizon cell phone their calls are a "ROBOCALL" and "LIKELY JUNK" and not identified as 8x8.

I keep hearing that they are making changes to make support better for their larger customers (like me) but it's going in the opposite direction.

8x8 response

Good day Mike, We are sorry to hear about your experience with support. For ordering lines you can order it anytime but for cancelling line, you will be subject to disconnection fees and Contract Buy Out fees where applicable. For the issues encountered from support please kindly DM us the case ID and we will review and escalate your concern internally.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Back on approximately Thursday, December 17th, 2020, I lost my Google Voice phone service for invalid reasons and I was desperate to find a low cost, budget business phone system that can offer me an affordable, cloud-based voice, video messaging and contact center solution just for me. While going online and doing some heavy research, I ended up finding 8x8, Inc. Which offers an affordable price of only $12.00 dollars per month, plus the local taxes for unlimited phone calls, text and video messaging for both incoming and outgoing for most of North America. I was so relieved to find such a company that I signed up with them immediately! Furthermore, they also offer really good services which even includes allowing you to port your old phone number to their cloud-based phone system which is what I am doing right now!

Moving right along: I want to personally thank Jamieson and David for helping me to better understand their services back on Friday, December 18th, 2020! If you are looking for a super duper cloud-based phone system that is efficient and affordable, then 8x8, inc. Is the right place to come to! Sincerely yours, Howard **, 8x8, Inc. Cloud-based phone customer, Executive, volunteer writer for Google Maps and Tripadvisor websites. /HPS

8x8 response

Good day Howard, Thank you for taking your time in providing feedback about our service. Have a nice day ahead!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

This is the worst business phone system I ever had in the 20 years of business. The representative did not tell me that I had to set up the phone system. This was a very difficult task to set up. Worst of all it took a mission to Mars and back to get a "live" customer service rep. on the phone to help you. I would never never ever recommend this company to anyone. If I could give a 1/64 star rating I would instead of the 1 star rating the system is letting me put.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

We've been using the phone service for couple of weeks now and are contended with the phone service but... First request for porting the number during sign up was less than desired, we waited couple of weeks to get the number ported but we did not receive notification from 8x8 that the porting submission was pending action on our part and we had to unlock our number with the provider. When we logged in the account after couple of weeks, we found the hard way that the porting was not even started and there was no notification from 8x8 on outstanding task on our end.

It shows the company just doesn't have a good support system - They expect the consumers to spend hours to read their knowledgebase. In addition, the phone finally ported on one Friday. We received notification that the porting was completed but now the phone was dead making us scramble to figure why our phone was not working. Apparently the porting was only partially completed, the case was yet to be assigned to someone internally in order to complete the porting and this was on a business day, we were without phone service for 6 hrs that day.

I have wasted anywhere between 6 to 8 hours trying to understand why OBi 300 is not available to be added to our account, they are only 6 devices available to be added to our account. THERE IS NO WAY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEIR SUPPORT. OTTO, their self help is useless and can't even provide direction on what needs to be done to reach support staff to get it answered. Most likely switch to another service if they are unable to provide support when needed.

8x8 response

Hello FZ, we are sorry to hear about your troubles with your porting request and support issues. Please message us your recent case ID or account information so we can assist ASAP.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I have been with 8*8 for years and since they moved to the new platform their support is horrible. They self resolve your case if they do not get to it within 5 days. It seems like it is a game to them. Moving on.

8x8 response

Good day Charles, sorry to hear about your issues with our support. Can you please DM us your recent case ID so we can look into it? Thank you

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I have had 8x8 phone service for many years and have been very happy with it, especially because I was always able to talk to a human when I needed help. I just got the bluetooth audio to use the phone via computer, but when I went to get support, I was forced to use "Otto" online, which took me many tries to get a response (sometimes it just doesn't respond to the question at all, and then doesn't give the right response). When you do finally get a human online, there are long delays. I miss the human support, and will consider switching companies if I can still find a company that offers it.

8x8 response

Good day Nancy, sorry to hear about your issues reaching out to support. We both have our live support as well as Otto Chat support in place to assist. Please DM us your recent case ID so we can have support follow up with you.

Reaching out to 8x8 Technical support > https://support.8x8.com/support-services/support/contact-8x8-technical-support

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

The worst customer service ever. They expect everything to go through email, you end up waiting for days to get an answer, then you just go around in circles. It is almost impossible to get a person to help with issues. We have tried to port phone numbers from other providers and it is always a huge ordeal; 1 transfer took 3 months, another over a month. Billing is always incorrect, more made up fees than you can imagine. Nothing reflects what they quote for costs. Charging us sales tax in jurisdictions that we don't even use the service.

8x8 response

Hello Gordon, We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better.

Please feel free to DM us your case ID and we will review what happened and what goes wrong with it.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I have been with 8x8 for over 5 years. They use to be so good in handling issues and good customer service. It has gone downhill! They cancelled our Virtual fax line with no notice...just one day come in to the office and it is disconnected. I call support and they say, "Oh ya we discontinued that service. Didn't you get an email back in December 2019." I said, "No, I get a lot of spam from 8x8 so no way your email is going to be getting to me... You should have called and informed your customer of this..." All I get is, "Oh well sorry to hear that." I ask to speak to a manager and I get told, "We don't have any managers available."

I am so frustrated by this company it isn't even funny!!!! I have been on hold now for 20 min waiting for a manager and continue to be told that there is no manager. This company has gone downhill and I do not want anyone else to have to go through this so please go with a trusted name for your business or you will regret it. They have no concern for the trouble they cause for your business. Finally got told that a manager will call within 48 hr. Pathetic!

8x8 response

Good day Robert, sorry to hear you are having issues with customer support. can you message us the case ID so we can look into it? We will wait for your message, Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Service is awful- response time awful and concern for customer less than awful. Problem unresolved and each time they try to help, when they do call back they make problem worse. Most annoying is automated support system which has you locked in internet hell.

8x8 response

Good day Harvey, sorry to hear you are having issues with support. Can you please message us your latest case ID and account information? We will get back to you the soonest.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Do not engage with those company. Go anywhere else but here. Their tactics are unethical and their customer service is consistently rude, snarky and script oriented. Run in the other direction immediately.

8x8 response

Good day Ed, sorry to hear you are having problems with our customer service. Any particular case you would like us to check? Please message us the details and we will get back to you.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I have used 8x8 for approximately five years. When we started with 8x8, it was a great experience; easy onboarding, good support, and reasonable prices. Over the years, the experience has changed. Since COVID started, our calls were regularly getting dropped or had other quality issues. Trying to get in touch was beyond painful with 60 minute plus wait times. We decided to change providers as 8x8 could not meet our business needs.

I have attempted to cancel our service four times; the conversation always ends with our cancellation department will call you back. And they never do! This last time I called, I did get to talk to a human (a rare occurrence), and they informed me that I would owe them $1,100 for canceling. I went through the original sales quote/agreement, and there was nothing like that mentioned. I do recall discussing with our salesman, and he stated after three years, we could cancel at any time. 8x8 is a challenging company to work with, their call quality is subpar, and support is a nightmare. It is too bad they have fallen so far.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

This is a year contract for their service. They let you start them easy, but if you want to drop a line... hundreds of dollars. Long, long, long, long hold times of up to 1hr at times. Foreign workers with heavy dialect is what you get to enjoy trying to communicate here. We have spent hours trying to get them to refund a payment they never should have drafted, but they think it is normal. A year is 12 months. We turned in cancel request on July 2nd 2020 at 1:59pm for our thirty day notice to cancel and none renew our contract on 08/14/2020. They went ahead and charged us again for month 13 and they believe it is their money. We have tried to speak with them many time. This company is very difficult to get things set up correctly. The app is not that great. If you are looking for aggravation, workers difficult to understand and you enjoy people treating you with a strong position of authority, well you have found your company to do business with.

8x8 response

Good day Joshua, first off we are sorry to hear you have issues cancelling your service. Can you message us the ticket number of your cancellation together with your 8x8 number? We will look into it

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

We have been a customer of 8x8 for over 9 years. Due to COVID-19, we made the decision to close our office and work from home. After several attempts to try to switch our phone lines to home and receiving poor customer service, I made the decision to cancel our service. After 9 years of service we were told that we will be charged over $1100 for an early contract cancellation fee. I have asked repeatedly for a copy of the signed contract which they have never provided. Their response was that at the time we signed up for service that this information was included in the terms and conditions on their website. I have repeatedly asked for proof which they have not provided.

The cancellation fee is the balance of our “contract period” which is until February. I think this is outrageous after having been a faithful customer for over 9 years. I don’t think it is right to bury this information in terms and conditions on a website and not in a signed contract. They can’t even produce proof that it was in their terms and conditions. Even more galling is that their poor customer service is what made me cancel in the first place. I personally would never recommend 8x8.

8x8 response

Good day to you Jeanette, we are sorry you are having issues with cancellation policies. Can you DM us your account information and latest case ID so we can look into it? Thank you

Original review: July 14, 2020

We had to completely set this up ourselves - overseas support was TERRIBLE. System worked fine for 6 months, now they have raised our monthly price while IN CONTRACT?!? AND we have had 2 system down failures in 2 weeks. You will NEVER reach someone who can solve your problem, Callbacks are promised and never made. This is the WORST service I have ever seen from a tech company. We just set up a new account with their competitor today, WE are totally finished and would NEVER recommend them. I have also pulled my wife's service from them as well. JUST AWFUL. You would be better off with 2 cans and a string.

8x8 response

Hello Chris, sorry to hear that you are not getting the complete assistance you needed. We have sent you a message, can you please share with us the case number or your account information so we can check? Thank you

Original review: June 12, 2020

It is a great platform to be able to communicate between the main office and field staff. Having the Desktop and Mobile app are super convenient. Call quality is equal to cell phone signal. The versatility has been a game changer!

8x8 response

Hello Marilyn, Thank you so much for providing our service a great feedback! Have a nice day ahead!

Original review: June 12, 2020

Having battled unsuccessfully with virtual offices in the past and still needing to travel extensively for work, I decided to trial 8x8. They have been a fantastic asset to my business and I can’t recommend them highly enough. Customer service is second to none but above all, their products and services work, and they consistently deliver on what they promise.

Thank you for giving us 5-star review Niamh! Have a nice day

Original review: June 11, 2020

I started a 'free' 30 day trial of PRO level for their video-conferencing software. I have already submitted my credit card details, to find out now that it is not possible to cancel my trial directly. This involves dealing with several layers of customer service and billing department and is overall a frustrating experience.

8x8 response

Hello Nikola, sorry you are having issues cancelling your trial account with us. Can you share with us the email ypi use to register trial account and we will check this for you? Thank you

Original review: June 8, 2020

We were having an issue with our emails all going to one person. He was able to resolve the issue quickly and I was able to get right back to doing business. I was able to correct the issue on my own just by speaking with them. It was painless and fast. Thank you!

8x8 response

Wow thank you so much for giving our service a 5-star review! We are pleased that all your issues got resolved

Original review: June 4, 2020

Regarding Case ID: **. I had been a happy customer of 8x8 for 15 years. We found that we were in need of MMS messaging and called 8x8 to see if they could accommodate our needs. I was told that they could not and the tech on the phone said that I would need to switch companies. I checked around and found that the 120.00 per month that I had paid for so many years was way more then the 50.00 other companies charged for the same service PLUS having MMS messaging included. I switched companies and when I tried to cancel with 8x8 it took hours. I kept getting transferred over to another department 3 times and each person spent about 30 min trying to talk me out of canceling and even offered to match what the other company was charging.

I said that I already switched and that 8x8 didn't offer the service we needed. They went on to tell me that I needed to give 30 days notice so I paid the extra month and then went on to say that I had a year contract and would have to pay 878.76 even though I was told that I would need to switch to another company from their sales person. I put in a dispute and the next thing I knew my account was debited the 878.76. I thought this was a great company but now I am so unhappy and will have to dispute the charges with my credit card company because they are not responsive.

8x8 response

Good day Charles, Sorry to hear about your struggles in our Cancellation Policy and getting the right support. Can you message us the ticket number so we can follow up with Cancellation agent? Thank you

Original review: June 4, 2020

We have been a client of this company since last year. It’s been an easy process and their products are very advanced and is very useful for today’s environment. They have a very easy insert interface their technical support is very knowledgeable and their system is very easy to setup. Also very competitive pricing.

8x8 response

Hello Charles, Thank you for taking time in reviewing our service and rating us a 5-star review! Have a great day ahead!

Original review: June 2, 2020

I have used 8x8 for over 15 and in fact use the same phone that I received from them 15 years ago. The product and service has been second to none and the affordability of their services is the best part about 8x8..

Original review: May 29, 2020

I needed additional information on a report. I could not get a response online via the chat so I called. I got a sales rep, who transferred me to the wrong department, but he was nice. Then I got billing and she said she couldn't help, but she was nice. Then I got Jasper in Technical Support. He listed to my question and felt it beneficial to log in to my screen. Jasper then showed me other reports that would be more beneficial to my needs.

8x8 response

Glad to hear all your issues got resolved Chrissy! Have a nice day to you

Original review: May 29, 2020

My experience with the mobile virtual office was very frustrating initially. The Ring Group would not work and would go directly to voicemail. I got in touch with support on 5/24/20 but the support tech could not resolve the issue immediately as I had to leave for a prior engagement. He kept working on it throughout the week and finally, after a follow-up call, 8x8 support techs finally got the issue resolved. I applaud their customer service as they were very patient with me and kept me updated the entire time.

8x8 response

Thank you so much for your 5-star review Alex! We are glad all your issues got resolved in a timely manner. Have a nice day to you!

Original review: May 28, 2020

The overall experience with using 8x8 is satisfactory. The main reason we went with 8x8 in our office was to host our work phone numbers as well as have the capabilities of hosting conference calls and video calls. The process of porting over our phone numbers and getting everything set up was not as easy as we were told it would be, however we were successful in the end. We were told we would have a "free month" for the first month of service, but there must have been an issue with the billing department as our first bill was for the full monthly amount. This has since been solved, but was quite an ordeal.

The virtual office applications is where the most improvements can be made. There are very basic features in terms of messaging/chatting, video, phone calls, calendar integration, etc., which many other platforms offer much more. Quality is an issue as well. Video and call quality is satisfactory, however screen-sharing is where the quality really takes a hit. When sharing your screen during a meeting, I've only heard negative feedback from viewers stating that the image is blurry and they cannot read any text that I'm trying to show. The good news is that there seems to be frequent updating to the platform with updated and new features. So it's promising to see and we're hopeful that more features will continue to be added.

Some of these features we'd like to see are:
- Ability to chat with multiple people without having to create a new "room"
- Having the full Outlook calendar sync to the application
- Ability to add an emoji to an individual chat message
- More features within messages: add GIFs, images, etc.

- When opening links to documents within messages, it would be great if they opened directly in the application instead of having to download the file first.

8x8 response

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, We appreciate you taking time in reviewing our service. We are glad you are pointing out what is missing in our app. We will do our best to continue improving our application for our customers. We have submitted a feedback base on your findings, Thanks and have a nice day!

8x8 Company Information