Find a VoIP Providers partner

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

About 8x8

8x8 delivers cloud-based business communications solutions that are affordable, easy to use, and incredibly advanced. We help businesses serve their customers better, work smarter and conduct business anywhere, anytime. From hosted VoIP business phone service to hosted contact centers to unified communications, our services are proven, reliable and less expensive than traditional solutions.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

8x8 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Back on approximately Thursday, December 17th, 2020, I lost my Google Voice phone service for invalid reasons and I was desperate to find a low cost, budget business phone system that can offer me an affordable, cloud-based voice, video messaging and contact center solution just for me. While going online and doing some heavy research, I ended up finding 8x8, Inc. Which offers an affordable price of only $12.00 dollars per month, plus the local taxes for unlimited phone calls, text and video messaging for both incoming and outgoing for most of North America. I was so relieved to find such a company that I signed up with them immediately! Furthermore, they also offer really good services which even includes allowing you to port your old phone number to their cloud-based phone system which is what I am doing right now!

Moving right along: I want to personally thank Jamieson and David for helping me to better understand their services back on Friday, December 18th, 2020! If you are looking for a super duper cloud-based phone system that is efficient and affordable, then 8x8, inc. Is the right place to come to! Sincerely yours, Howard **, 8x8, Inc. Cloud-based phone customer, Executive, volunteer writer for Google Maps and Tripadvisor websites. /HPS

8x8 response

Good day Howard, Thank you for taking your time in providing feedback about our service. Have a nice day ahead!

Original review: June 10, 2021

This company used to provide good service when we signed up around 2012. They've outsourced all of their customer support reps to likely the most cheapest and lousiest support team money can find. One time a support rep had me share my screen to literally wiggle his mouse around my screen for over 5 minutes. It was obvious that he did not know what he was doing and was just hoping I'd hang up. Support tickets take weeks for responses and even their live chat reps prefer to send you template responses before even listening to your problem and determining if it is unique or not. Also, they have failed to evolve, their API hardly integrates with any CRM systems. They are just overall BAD BAD BAD.

You are better off with Vonage or RingCentral. Lazy customer support reps and inability to evolve has made this company lose a long time customer and I'm sure they are losing customers in droves. I am surprised they have recent 4-5 start reviews. They are likely fake since it is easy to post unvetted reviews on here. Don't waste your time with this company especially since Vonage is cheaper and more advanced with better support.

8x8 response

Hi Luis, Thank you for your review, your feedback is important to us. We apologize for the difficulty you’ve had with support. Is there any particular case ID you want us to look at? Please DM us your account details and latest case ID so we can review and escalate. Thanks!

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 1, 2021

My company has been an 8x8 customer since 2013. They used to be a company with both amazing service and support. Now they are one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. Late last year, 8x8 blew away our fax line during their "upgrade". We did not know this happened for many months as our fax line is not used that often. We do, however, received important client communications via fax. It took me several weeks and upwards of 10 hours on the phone with their support to get the fax line fixed. When you call and talk to someone new, they have no idea what you have discussed prior. So, you end up repeating yourself over and over.

Recently, I had several employees leave the company. I deleted their extensions as I normally would when an employee resigns. After this, I noticed that our bill did not go down. We were still being charged for the cancelled lines. I called 8x8 and dealt with their horrible support once again. I was finally informed that we were on an annual contract with an auto-renew. We would have to pay for the unused lines for the remainder of the term which ends in January of next year.

Our account has always been month to month. I have examples of where we canceled extensions and our bill went down accordingly. I asked support for a copy of the agreement where I agreed to a change to an annual term with auto-renew. After around 2 weeks, they sent me a service agreement for a completely different company. I have yet to receive a copy of anything showing I agreed to the term change.

Stay away from this company. They used to be one of my best vendors. Now, I cannot wait until my term ends when I will be switching to a new provider. In the meantime, 8x8 should switch my company back to month to month and credit us for the overcharges. I see that the term change issue has happened with other 8x8 customers. 8x8 should stop this unethical practice immediately.

8x8 response

Good day to you Jay, First off we are sorry to hear about your experience with support. Can you please share your account details and latest case ID regarding the issue? We will escalate this accordingly.

Original review: May 13, 2021

The phone quality was just ok. Customer service was awful. I had a 14month contract and when it was over I switched providers, but by the time the number ported the contract auto-renewed and the jammed me up with a. I would try a different company.

Original review: May 3, 2021

The fax service that I used for my business with them was not that bad. The problem was the price. It kept going up and going up and I tried to get a better price with them but they said no. I told them I was not happy with their response and instead of trying to keep a good customer they told me I could cancel the account and get a refund of the unused service. After I ported the number to a new service provider which was half their price, they will not refund me. Even after they confirmed cancellation, they kept taking money out of my credit card. Now, no one will answer me. Someone from the cancellation department was supposed to call me but they haven't. I have a couple different case numbers because I keep reaching out but get no response. Do your research before you give this company your credit card!

Original review: April 30, 2021

I was told I could sign up for a month to month plan to test, I tried it for a year and hated the features. The phone service worked properly, but the features they advertised were non-existent or did not work as advertised. I phoned, online-chatted, emailed, and submitted a service request to cancel - I did not hear back from them for over 2 months at which time they responded that I just missed the end of my one-year contract term and would have to pay-out the entire next year to cancel!! The initial time that I requested the cancellation is not the date they use for cancellation, but they use the date that they process the cancellation, which is now over 3 months after my request, and it still has not been processed! I am still waiting for their "Cancellation Department" to follow up and complete the cancellation - this company is using 1970 approaches to customer service - stay away from them - do not use use this company for anything.

8x8 response

Good day Michel, First of, We are sorry to hear about your trouble in cancelling your account. Can you please DM us your case ID so we can check and escalate? Thank you

Original review: April 9, 2021

This is extremely frustrating and goes along with all the frustration I've had with 8x8 since coming back. No one knows what the prior support person has said or documented. I spent an hour on the phone with Thomas ** and there's a complete trail of what's going on and while I told him I'd need to at the very least re-explain all of this to someone else who would give me opposition to my refund, on top of the horrendous service I've received from 8x8 prior to my decision to cancel the service. I contacted you guys to fix a problem on the 24th of February, 2021. It continued until the 25th with another phone call because the first call was useless, please review the recorded conversations.

I told them on the 25th I wanted to cancel my account, they agreed. I was told there was a period of time that the account was supposed to be canceled which is in and of itself ridiculous, it needed to go to a "cancellation" department, and then by the 3rd of March, 2021, your records indicate that it was put in for cancellation despite the request on the 25th verbally. This is without any of the prior service issues being handled to my satisfaction all, along with what was the "last straw" on the 24th which led to me requesting cancellation on the 25th. So, on the 3rd of March, 2021 8x8 charged me. I said nothing, I understood it was before the 30 days. Then April 3rd, I was charged again as is the reason I called Thomas **, whom I've CC'd on this email, and along with an entire conversation, told him this would happen.

He promised he'd "do something" but all he did was pass the buck as you all do, send a ** informationless ticket in, and here we are with me wasting my time to inform you of how horrible your service is. Meanwhile, during our conversation yesterday, I just happened to ask Thomas, (please review the recorded conversation as all calls are recorded) "is my account canceled?", and he said "No". So after all this **, Thomas told me, at the end of our conversation, my cancellation request, which is on your books as of the 3rd, was never canceled and 31 days later I was charged again for a service I don't want. So, being told after the fact that it was 30 days notice THE ACCOUNT STILL ISN'T CANCELLED yet I haven't made a call on your service in over a month and was under the impression that you canceled it.

I didn't trust 8x8 but gave the benefit of the doubt to 8x8. Then 8x8 charged me again anyway, now I have to sit here and deal with this ** to get my money back. Return my money now! Now being proven correct that 8x8 would try to pounce down on me to do nothing, I want both charges refunded the March 3rd 2021 AND the April 3rd 2021 Charge. P.S. Thomas, I told you this is what they'd do, they'll stroke me along to get me to frustrate and drop it and walk away. I'm not gonna do that at all!. It's far less time-consuming to look at review sites and drop this email in raw form on them and that's exactly what I'm going to do, starting with Facebook immediately after hitting send.

8x8 response

Hi Keith, Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, and our apologies for the issues you encounter with your cancellation. Please DM us your cancellation case so we can review and get back to you on this. Thanks!

Original review: April 2, 2021

Beware of 8x8 service agreement. They trick you into what they call “automatic” yearly renewal commitments. According to them if you try to cancel you’ll be liable for the years payment balance. It’s also impossible to get their customer service on the phone unless it’s for a new sale. It just took me over a week to get a call back to request a service cancellation.

8x8 response

Good day Yaniv. We are sorry to hear about your issues with your service contract. Please know that this is stated on the 8x8's current Terms and Conditions and sections 2.1, 2.3.1, 11 & 12 of your existing service agreement for further cancelation details.

Reference: https://support.8x8.com/support-services/billing-account-management/how-to-cancel-an-8x8-account-or-extension

If there are any disparity with your contract please DM us your cancellation case ID and we will check.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I would avoid 8x8 if at all possible. If you are looking for a smooth resolution then 8x8 is not the way to go. When trying to contact 8x8 it is a hit or miss. Even if you do get a human they cannot help you and have to transfer you to advanced support. When I was told I would receive a call back my phone would ring 1 time and then they would hang up. When I would reach out all they would say is they are notating the account. It takes days to reach the proper person to help and the customer service is horrible. They do not use basic courtesy and are rude to deal with. We will be looking for a new service as soon as our contract is up.

8x8 response

Hello Earl, thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review about your experience with our service. We are disheartened to hear about your overall experience with us. We will escalate this matter internally so we could have a faster resolution about your technical concern. If anything like this happens again, please write us on reviews@8x8.com together with your account details so we could have a support follow up ASAP. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Unbelievably poor customer service!! Impossible to connect with a human being to stop my subscription so I had to resort to calling my credit card and telling them to refuse and block any further payments thinking that would prod a human being to call me....when they call it comes up as spam so I dont answer the phone. They leave a message with a number- 1-888-898-8733.. I call and get told to go online and speak to OTTO, a ROBOT who can answer all my questions...

After numerous attempts to reach a human being, I finally was able to reach someone in the sales department who put me in contact with the "right person " and I received a confirmation email my service was cancelled...and today I got another phone call marked spam with a voice mail telling me they can't process my payment! Amazing. The difference from when I started my service...couldn't get enough customer support. Now you can't reach a human being. Do not use this service!

8x8 response

Good day Lisa, sorry to hear about your issues reaching out to our support. Can you please message us your account information? Thank you

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I was with 8x8 for 3 months shy of a year. Calls seemed good quality but, the company is not ideal. Any time I tried to get help they wouldn’t help me, either I couldn’t get a hold of someone or they would tell me to get a hold of my rep. I had no clue who my rep was and apparently they couldn’t tell me. Eventually I got the name of the person but, they apparently didn’t know his email. I was frustrated being the system is not user friendly at all! Just setting it all up was difficult. Making a call was fine.

So since I couldn’t get help on the issues I decided to cancel. I can understand with paying a cancelation fee of $99 like I was told but now it’s $119 plus I have to pay for the last 3 months of service. So I would be paying even more than if I just kept it the extra 3 months! You would think with the issues I had with it they would at least cancel the cancelation fee. DO NOT GO WITH 8x8. I went with Vonage and it’s user friendly and I get help when I need it. Sent an email back telling the rep I will just not cancel and pay the remaining 3 months! So stupid.

8x8 response

Good day Julie, My name is Joe of 8x8. First off we are sorry to hear about your issues with your accounts policy. Unfortunately there is a fee for early termination of contract and its stated on the terms and condition. If you are having issues reaching out to support and is not getting full help, we will review and check your concern. Will you be able to share your latest case ID? Please send it to us via private response.

8x8 author review by Ellen Muraskin

Another pioneer in VoIP history, 8x8 offers a complete range of cloud-based telecommunications solutions.​

• Full communications suite: 8x8 offers the entire unified communications suite, which includes chat, web conferencing, document sharing, text, video and voice.

• HIPAA compliant: With collaboration tools and HIPAA compliance, 8x8 makes a good fit with healthcare organizations and telemedicine applications.

• Education focus: As a certified E-rate provider, 8x8 qualifies K-12 schools for subsidies for communications services.

• Security measures: 8x8 also complies with the rigorous standards of the U.S. Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), FIPS 140-2 for data encryption and PCI-DSS for credit card security.

• Contact center: 8x8 provides all the contact center pieces for agents, callers and supervisors: analytics, CRM integration and workforce scheduling/training/monitoring.

• Real time reporting: 8x8's real-time call-center reporting runs on smartphones and goes wherever supervisors go.

• Accessories: Headphones, desk phones, webcams, routers and adapters can all be purchased through 8x8.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

8x8 Company Information