2.91/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

8x8

8x8 delivers cloud-based business communications solutions that are affordable, easy to use, and incredibly advanced. We help businesses serve their customers better, work smarter and conduct business anywhere, anytime. From hosted VoIP business phone service to hosted contact centers to unified communications, our services are proven, reliable and less expensive than traditional solutions.

8x8 is ranked the #1 provider of hosted business VoIP by industry analyst firm, Frost & Sullivan.

Visit us at www.8x8.com. Our products and services include:

- 8x8 Virtual Office: Cloud-based VoIP business phone service - 8x8 Virtual Office Pro: VoIP business phone service bundled with online fax, web conferencing, call recording

- 8x8 Virtual Contact Center: Cloud-based call center / contact center

View More View More

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

170 8x8 Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

From day 1 this system was time consuming due to the number of keys/selections required to complete each task, check v-mail, look up contacts, etc. It is unreliable and difficult for conference calls, transferring, the basics of phone systems. The worst part is if you have to "over" or be responsible for another person's phone when they step away - NEAR IMPOSSIBLE!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

We are a medium size company with a user base of 600 employees. From day 1 starting with our implementation we have had nothing but problems with 8x8. Have to give credit to sales team, they did have smooth presentation, but that is the only positive part we have experienced. Took a year to fully migrate, call center was the most cumbersome. We went through 3 Project managers, 2 customer reps, the only trend I see is that no one cares, there is always an excuse for whatever issue you may run in to, probably had 100 calls in total with 8x8 team. Every step is painful even billing they could not get right, charged our credit card for months of service when we weren't even live yet, on a second day of new year, that is how they wish you Happy New Year, bank put a freeze on our credit card that affected payments for other services.

Most recently we had a day where people would call in our contact center but we could not hear anyone, lasted for 4 hrs. This is because of some kind of hung process. This week experienced multiple issue. Main admin portal is not reachable apparently, not the first time this happens and this is not for just us, even 8x8 support team could not get in. Our main helpdesk number stopped working. All you get is a busy tone. Multiple user could not log in to 8x8 desktop app, SMS would not work for several users, list goes on.

You can never predict what is going to break next week, looks like their infrastructure is just not reliable. Don't trust sales people no matter how good they are at presenting. They will tell how superb their reporting is and it would grade each call and tell you exactly issue is if the call was degraded but what is the point of this report if it's hung process and all calls at 4.0 but people can't hear each other. Nothing is ever communicated upfront. You will be wasting your time troubleshooting and escalating and trying to find people that would actually care but you won't find any.

8x8 response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Vitality. We're so sorry for this inconvenience and we'll look into it right away! We'll send you a direct message to gather some further information.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I built my own phone system in 1990 so I tried RingCentral to see if they could replicate my old phone system in 2010. Unfortunately RingCentral didn’t work so I tried 8x8, and was able to duplicate my old PBX functions and gain more features while saving on my phone bill. I was impressed with the 8x8 system that I started recommending and setting up the 8x8 phone system for my clients. I now have over 1000 happy users using 8x8. Any VoIP system is only as good as the network it resides on, which was the main cause why my 8x8 customers had call quality issues. I’ve experienced every scenario that made the 8x8 phone fail, but 99.99% of the time it wasn’t the 8x8 system that was the problem. Unfortunately sales people of any VoIP company are not technical enough to know what it takes to make VoIP systems work. I prequalify my customers network for 8x8 before I sell it to them.

Sometimes I find no firewall or router that is compatible with VoIP, slow internet, or incompatible data cables. If you don’t have a technical person that understands how to setup VoIP, you may have a bad experience. Sometimes the system may work for years and suddenly issues occur because the network was not setup for 8x8 correctly in the beginning. Most of my 8x8 customers never have an issue after I install their phone system and setup their network. I’ve had many customers switched from RingCentral, Vonage, Nextiva, Comcast, and all major phone companies to 8x8. 8x8 pricing is clear up front. No hidden fees unlike other companies.

The largest taxi company in my area was paying over $1500 a month to AT&T for phone service. When I switch them to 8x8, I got their phone bill down to $135 a month while giving them more features and phone lines. A medical office said 8x8 was $100 more expensive than Vonage, but after 2 months with Vonage they switch to 8x8, because their Vonage bill doubled from using features that were charge by usage instead of a flat rate fee like 8x8. Most VoIP companies are do it yourself with remote support only. Many times you need someone onsite who understands your network and can modify it for VoIP. I know what questions to ask my customers. I have them send me pictures of their equipment so I know what to order to make their overhead paging and phone system work.

My only complaint with 8x8 is their sales/tech support staff can’t keep up with their engineers. Many times I will see a new feature in the system and the sales and tech staff have no idea how to use it until weeks later. I too cannot keep up with the 8x8 upgrades. 8x8 will be the last phone system you will buy! If you are considering 8x8 as your phone system, contact me for assistance. I make 8x8 look good! www.MicroTechSys.com – 559 438-7580

8x8 response

Hi Joe and thank you for this terrific feedback! We absolutely love reading about how our customers are utilizing 8x8 with their customers. By the way, it's quite impressive to hear that you built your own phone system!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I will not recommend 8x8 after I spent hours and hours on the phone to try to get the service working properly. So, I canceled the service and they kept billing me and billing me and billing be...Hours and hours on the phone to try to fix the issue. All the while I have no phones with them. Still billing and still fighting with them, so, if you want to argue with a company and have them steal your, money then go ahead with them.

8x8 response

Hi Leon. Thank you for your review. We'll be reaching out to you personally to address your concerns with billing.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

These guys keep calling at midnight, early morning and after telling multiple time, they don't take you off from the calling list. They take number from LinkedIn and try to promote the product which I have told 50 times not interested.

8x8 response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Chirag. We're so sorry for this inconvenience and we'll look into it right away! We'll send you a direct message to gather some further information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

$200 per month for 2 phone lines - outrageous. I have been a 8x8 client for over 7 years. Each and every year prices creep up. Creep is a good word for this organizations - they are creeps. If you do not catch the increases, call and complain each and every time they raise the prices - well "that is the clients responsibility." They use the word contract frequently and often in an effort to intimidate you. Although they never produce a "contract." Taxes equal the cost of the service. How is that even possible. We moved to a different provider, ported our numbers and now they want to charge us a full month of service although we have NO SERVICE with them. STAY AWAY FROM 8x8 unless you like dealing with manipulative companies, that take advantage of their clients. You have many options when it comes to hosted VOIP service including Microsoft Office 365. Make a good businesses decision and stay away from 8x8.com.

8x8 response

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We apologize if there was any confusion with pricing or how our services were provided. Our team carefully considers these as we want to make sure we are providing you with the best features and options for our products. We would definitely like to look into your experience further so we'll be reaching out to you for additional information

Original review: July 31, 2019

I just jumped in with the 8x8 VoIP service and don't see what all the poor reviews are about. I'm perfectly happy out of the box so hope to be still praising these guys a year from now. I'm not an IT guy and run a one person office. Setting up the system was a bear for me but with the excellent help of their customer service techs, everything is operating great and am very pleased with my choice. 8x8 also offered the best pricing of all the other services I shopped. When I finally needed some professional help, my calls to 8x8 were almost immediately taken with basically no "on hold" time. All techs were very polite and knowledgeable. Spent almost 2 hours with a tech one day and he fixed everything and answered all of my question.

8x8 response

So happy to see that you are enjoying 8x8, Greg! Thank you for being a part of the 8x8 family!

Original review: July 29, 2019

We have used 8x8 for over 5 years. Prices never stay where they are supposed to. They ALWAYS creep up each month. We went from about $600/month to $1,400/month. You have to call in to ask them to lower the rates. We are switching to another provider and now 8x8 wants to charge us $5,000 to cancel our account with them. They say it is in their terms and conditions that we are under contract, but they didn't bother telling us our contract was renewing. Isn't illegal to not notify your customers that their contract is up for renewal? Had we known this, we would have cancelled for sure. We are sick of being taken advantage of. I don't know how a company runs their business like this and still stays in business. I think we might have to have our lawyer get involved. I would highly recommend you stay FAR away from 8x8. I am going to find as many review sites as I can to help people avoid this scamming dishonest company.

8x8 response

Hi there and thank you for your review. We are deeply sorry you feel this way and would like to take a closer look at this situation for you. We'll be reaching out to you personally to gather some more information and further assist you.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Left 8x8 when customer service would not unlock my account for a forgotten password, they continue to bill me months after I left, won't refund. Ultimately got my credit card company for partial refund. They won't respond to BBB. Dishonesty.

8x8 response

Hi Sam. Thank you for reporting this! We will definitely look into your issue and work with you to resolve it. We'll be reaching out to you personally to gather some more information.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
      Original review: April 17, 2019

Be careful of rising prices, even if you have a contract amount or term. I just discovered they have been slowly raising the payment amount for the last 24 months, in direct violation of our 48 month contract. When I asked for them to refund the overpayment, they said "It's the customers responsibility to notify us if the price is going above the contracted amount".

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding about the definition of "contract". This is a major breach of my consumer trust, especially now that they won't make it right and have the audacity to blame me for not keeping them honest. I ended up paying over $1000 more than what the contract stipulated over the life of the agreement. Be careful of this company's consumer manipulation and dishonest practices.

8x8 response

Hi Charles. Thank you for your feedback and please know that we value it. We'll be reaching out to you directly to gather some information regarding your account and the experience you had.

8x8 expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Another pioneer in VoIP history, 8x8 offers a complete range of cloud-based telecommunications solutions.​

• Full communications suite: 8x8 offers the entire unified communications suite, which includes chat, web conferencing, document sharing, text, video and voice.

• HIPAA compliant: With collaboration tools and HIPAA compliance, 8x8 makes a good fit with healthcare organizations and telemedicine applications.

• Education focus: As a certified E-rate provider, 8x8 qualifies K-12 schools for subsidies for communications services.

• Security measures: 8x8 also complies with the rigorous standards of the U.S. Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), FIPS 140-2 for data encryption and PCI-DSS for credit card security.

• Contact center: 8x8 provides all the contact center pieces for agents, callers and supervisors: analytics, CRM integration and workforce scheduling/training/monitoring.

• Real time reporting: 8x8's real-time call-center reporting runs on smartphones and goes wherever supervisors go.

• Accessories: Headphones, desk phones, webcams, routers and adapters can all be purchased through 8x8.

• Best for: Small businesses and large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

8x8 Company Information