3.38/5
Based on 127 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good VoIP provider?

8x8

8x8 delivers cloud-based business communications solutions that are affordable, easy to use, and incredibly advanced. We help businesses serve their customers better, work smarter and conduct business anywhere, anytime. From hosted VoIP business phone service to hosted contact centers to unified communications, our services are proven, reliable and less expensive than traditional solutions.

8x8 is ranked the #1 provider of hosted business VoIP by industry analyst firm, Frost & Sullivan.

Visit us at www.8x8.com. Our products and services include:

- 8x8 Virtual Office: Cloud-based VoIP business phone service - 8x8 Virtual Office Pro: VoIP business phone service bundled with online fax, web conferencing, call recording

- 8x8 Virtual Contact Center: Cloud-based call center / contact center

View More View More

133 8x8 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 3, 2018

Terrible cancellation policy. I cancelled my service on May 2nd, and then I get a charge for the whole month of May. Nice money grab, you guys. I'm making sure everyone knows to avoid your service because of poor policy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Please do not use this company. They are thieves in my opinion. I tried to cancel service because we went with another VoIP, after being with them since 2011, and it took me 5 months to finally get it canceled. We were on auto pay and they kept charging our card every month even though I had called to cancel. I finally reported them to the credit card company as fraud (because it was) and they finally canceled the service. (I hope anyway) They also charged us a fee of over $500.00 to cancel due to an automatic contract renewal that was buried in the paperwork that we knew nothing about. Do not let them get their hands on your credit card!

8x8 response

Hello Pam and thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience. We would like to dive deeper into this and discuss it with you further. We'll be sending you a direct message and look forward to your response!

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2018

8x8 provides the worst service I have ever encountered in my life. Infinitely long hold times. Broken apps. No one responds to emails. No one cares. The list goes on and on. The Salesforce app doesn't work period. The analytics package doesn't work period. They know about both problems and are incapable of fixing. 8x8 has been the worst business decision of my life.

8x8 response

Hi there and thank you for your review. First off, we're so sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with us. We strive to produce a quality product and great customer service and it disappoints us when you feel you are not getting that. We'll be sending you a direct message so we can work with you on turning this situation around!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Stay away from this company!! They take your money and provide horrible service. You can't pick your numbers... you can pick your area codes, you can't speak to anybody until they decide to activate your numbers. Then you contact their support center located in the Philippines and they're as incompetent as the rest of the company. BEWARE of this company! Not a good choice.

8x8 response

Hello and thank you for your review. We value your feedback immensely and apologize that your interactions with us were not the top notch experience we strive for. We would like to discuss your review with you further so please be on the lookout for a follow up.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

BEWARE of charges if you seek to disconnect your service even after being a customer for over 8 years. Free phone offer requires staying for at least 2 years or a $200 disconnect fee with only a few months remaining. BEWARE. BEWARE. You can not transfer the number they provide to another carrier as I have tried numerous times and various other carriers, they trap you. BEWARE. BEWARE of echoes on the line which come and go for the last 8 years with new phones not fully solving the problem. Clients certainly get annoyed on the phone with us. BEWARE.

8x8 response

Hi Steven. First off, thank you for your feedback. It definitely disappoints us that you felt this way and we would like to improve on this situation moving forward. We'll be reaching out to you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We have spent hours and hours with tech support with this company over the past year. We would lose our dedicated vanity number that all our marketing materials feature if we left. Our customers can't reach us. If you are trying to grow a business I would keep away from this company. Hoping this last few hours with tech support is our last.

8x8 response

Greetings Delia. We never want our customers to feel bad about service. Our goal is to provide you with a solid customer experience so you can focus on giving the same to your own customers. We'll be following up with you directly regarding any outstanding issues you may have and will look to turn them around.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I would highly recommend staying away from 8x8 for VOIP. I had them for three years paying $430 per month for 10 phones. Then one month the bill goes to $785. They won’t give me a credit but tell me on the phone that it will go back down the next month. It doesn’t so I call again. Same thing. No credits but it will go down next month. It didn’t. I cancel. Although originally I signed up for month to month they tell me take when I called to fix the monthly increase that I was moved into an annual. Of course I never got the original price. They made me pay two months to cancel plus are sending me to collection and threatening my credit score for early cancellation fees. DON’T DO IT. 8x8 is the worst!

8x8 response

Thank you for your review, Howard. We're so sorry that you feel your experience with us was not ideal and we want to explore more about what happened here. Please know that we strive for excellent customer service and will use whatever we learn to get better. We'll be reaching out to you personally.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Customer service has been going downhill steadily. Three times have lost incoming calls for days - they don't even go to voicemail - just dead air. Way to go 8x8! The fix was, you have to turn this off and then back on and then it will work. Why don't you just fix the problem? Billing is horrendous! They delay responding to "cases" for days. Tried to move my service to Vonage and 8x8 couldn't change the address on my phone number to make it possible. Really? This company could put me out of business. Dec 2017, my bill was increased by 50%. No advance notice - and once they take your money it's really hard to get it back. I downgraded my service and still waiting for a proration. Why didn't that happen automatically? Why do I have to keep tabs on you to make things right?

8x8 response

Hello Glenda and thank you for your review. We appreciate you detailing your experience. Please know that we do truly care about your satisfaction with our support and want to make sure you got the proper treatment and assistance since you submitted this review. Please be on the lookout for a follow up.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My company is global, with locations on 3 continents. For some reason, our Australian office ceased receiving billing statements. When approached about the issue, I was told that 8x8 no longer provided support service to our account and referred me to a company by the name of Entrust. Despite numerous emails to both entities, they both have dropped the ball and I have received no assistance at all.

8x8 response

Greetings Paula. We appreciate your review! We would like to discuss this in further detail with you personally so we'll be following up to gather some more information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The actual service has been good. However the company's billing practices are predatory. They require a contract. At the end of the contract your monthly rate can nearly double. It happened to me without warning. They have a strong hand if you want to port the phone numbers when you quit them. I'll be moving to another service, one that has no contract. Any company that has a corporate policy designed to catch you "sleeping at the wheel" is not one you want to do business with.

8x8 response

Hi Steve. Thank you for your review! We never want our customers to feel like they are having a difficult time when it comes to our service and support. Your feedback is important to us so we'll be personally reaching out to you to discuss this further.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I got rid of my physical fax machine to use the 8x8 office. I find out that 8x8 was still charging the fax line that the person who set this up did not disconnect and when the issue was found out when I went to get a new phone system, 8x8 refused to reimburse for this charge that should have been removed. Extremely disappointed that such a big company would do this and not take responsibility as it was obvious the line was never used in the 3 years and they know that there was obviously no need for it.

8x8 response

Hello Julie. We're so sorry to hear this! We will be happy to review this situation with you and make sure that the proper solution was given. We work hard to provide a reliable and helpful support experience so your feedback is critical for us as we continue to grow. Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

DO NOT USE. They run a scam whereby when you end service with them they continue to fully charge you for as long as they can get away with it, then refuse to give your money back when you catch them. I switched to JIVE on 6/27/17 as they had better prices and no contract on over 30 lines comparing to 8x8. 8x8 ported my number to JIVE per my request. After all was completed I called 8x8 to cancel/notify that I will no longer use the account. Month later I received another bill (over $380) from 8x8. Call them again. 8x8 acknowledge they had ported the number away and my service had ended at 8x8. It's November now - still charging my account for numbers I ported to Jive in June. My sales rep doesn't call me back for week now. I don't have a time for this BS. My lawyer will take care of it from now on. DO NOT USE 8x8.

8x8 response

Hi Michael and thank you for your review. If this has not been addressed already, we would definitely like to discuss this with you asap. We'll be reaching out to you personally to gather some more information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Signed up for 8X8’s service at the end of the month and was given all kinds of discounts as a promo. Purchased the service and one of their phones and was told I would receive a call from support dept to start my set up in 24-48 hours. The sales rep said she would get started on porting over my existing number. I signed their documents and they charged my card. Everything was great. 5 day pass with no call, not 24-48 hours. 5th business day I get a call to schedule my support set up call for 4 days from that date. 9 days in I speak to the support set up dept and I'm told the porting of my number can start as of now, not 9 days ago when I signed up and that will take another 5-7 business days. After completing the set up call and walk through I'm told I will be receiving a series of 3 emails confirming my porting of the number.

Another 8 business day pass and no emails so I call customer support. Their customer service agents at 8X8 have no idea what department to send you to nor which department they even work in for that matter. It's a complete circus! Finally get to a tech support agent after 3 separate calls because of being placed on hold and then getting disconnected from them. He tells me he does not even see a porting ticket created and that it has not been done nor started, all this after almost an hour and a half on hold. That's all I could deal with so I moved on to the cancellation process.

Bottom line. It's been a full month and I have a phone sitting on my desk that's used as a paper weight. I've used my Ooma service throughout this complete disaster of a cloud phone service carrier. For any small or mid sized business owner your time is valuable and 8X8 has no regard for it whatsoever. They will run you around and around with excuses and reasons as to where the mishap has taken place but none of it being on them of course.

8X8 is completely unprofessional and disorganized and has no regard for your time as a consumer. They have also never heard the term customer service. I was more than patient with the time frames I was given and only to find out nothing was being done. Sale rep didn't return calls after the sale was made and her voicemail no longer says it's even her, always nice to know the direct contact for your business phone carrier may not be with the company next week. Do yourself a favor and RUN from this company!!! Your business phone service is far too important to be in the hands of this company and their complete inability to perform the services they offer.

8x8 response

Hello Robert. We stress to our teams the importance of listening and understanding the needs of our customers during any and all situations. There is nothing greater than the voice of the customer so when we hear of your disappointment, it concerns us greatly. We have reviewed your feedback extensively and will work on taking the best course of action for you to ensure that your business is properly supported by us. We will be reaching out to you further for your account information.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: July 31, 2017

We used this service for our remote sales organization to make it easier to keep in touch with them through the instant messaging system. The phones had many service problems and they made it incredibly difficult to have service requests managed, then when I finally called to cancel, they are charging $500 in hidden fees. Horrible!

8x8 response

Thank you for your review, Jamie. We're so sorry we were unable to make this work out for you. Your feedback is critical and we will be reviewing your account history to ensure we continue to grow from this and improve our product.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

We purchased a VVX300 system and returned it in 2-weeks for an upgrade the VVX600. We received a shipping label from the 8x8 returns center with a document to enclose with our return. Of course I was immediately charged for the new phones and promised credit for the returned phone. We complied and returned the shipment in the original packaging. We have been chasing our refund for 8 months now and we keep being told that we need to provide the shipping label. I have explained 10 times we did not produce the shipping label they did. Now they won't respond so I am going to get a lawyer and sue them. Sexy sales process, terrible customer support and follow through. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else for your phone system. Very dishonest business practice.

8x8 response

Hello Liz. We appreciate your review. Your satisfaction is important to us so we will be following up with you to see if your issue stated in this review has been addressed.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

We have been with 8x8 for over a year now. With so many outages it has caused our business to lose a lot of money. They are constantly going down and having interruptions. So much so that they have gone to the point of paying us back so we don't seek legal ramifications. Just in the past month alone we have had 6 outages with management still scratching their heads on how this could have happened. We had to wait 5 months for a Microsoft outlook integration download that they had an error for. We had our SSO page bringing up a white blank page for almost 3 months while 8x8 tried to figure it out.

Our whole VO application was down for that whole time while they sat on their hands. I have reached out to senior management and all they do is ignore you until you threaten them with a lawyer and a break in contract. Their support staff is more of a complaint hotline because they are never able to help they just created a ticket and say they will get back to you. There is no communication throughout the entire company. Support staff is unaware of outages on the network and data center levels so when you call in they tell you "it must be you or your ISP" because they don't know they are even having an outages yet. No one at 8x8 seems to ever be on the same page and is always scrambling. Not a good company to work with at all.

8x8 response

Hi J. We never want you to feel like you can't get the assistance you need when you contact our support staff. We work hard to train and provide our support teams with the tools they need to offer great customer support. When we are not meeting expectations, we definitely want to correct that. We'll be reaching out to further!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Please be advised that as current customers of 8x8 we ordered a headset to assist with answering calls in our retail store. It took me 3 days, but believed that I finally had it put together correctly. I did not. It did not work. I contacted our Sales rep who came in and tried to get it to work. He tried for about a half hour and then called technical support where we were told we were missing a part. They ordered the part on November 15, 2016. We have not and do not intend on opening the box and would like to return the product for a FULL Refund. It is not our fault that the first set was not packed properly and came defective. We have not opened the replacement so I have no idea what is in the box and if it is defective or if all parts are there.

When I called, I was told company policy is that after 30 days the item cannot be returned and that was that. But again, not our fault that the first headset was defective and we should not be punished for this. I just want to return the product and get a credit for it. I was told that was not possible since it is past the 6 month period. They gave me a bogus e-mail contact. Called the escalation department - Does not exist. This is a horrible, horrible company. I recommend to no one.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

Within 2 months we were vexed with this vendor. They have genuinely friendly SALES people. I read Customer Service is spotty, but that's a huge understatement. It's like a lottery. They have some good guys, but most of the time you get NOBODY. When you want to disconnect, GET READY TO PAY MONEY. 30 day notice - PAY an ADDITIONAL MONTH. For breaking a contract - PAY 60.00 per user. EITHER WAY THEY GET YOUR MONEY. Seems like a third world run CASINO.

Resolution response: Nov. 10, 2016

They have resolved the issue.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

We have had issues with the service for a while. 10 days ago I tried calling and was on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up. I tried the online chat, after 45 minutes with this person we got disconnected. I assumed he would call me since he knew the company, the issue and I verified all info with him...but another opportunity wasted and no call back ever. So I went and filled out a ticket #** 10 days ago and still cannot get a call to fix the issue. I tried other times to call and I CAN NEVER GET A LIVE PERSON. I tried virtual online chat and the queue says, "will be with you shortly." 25 minutes later they have still not responded. We spend hundreds of dollars a month with them for years and this is their customer service when an issue arises? Multiple phones are not working and we get no response. I would like a call back. This is ridiculous.

8x8 response

Hello Victor. We are sincerely sorry that it took you so long to get a response from our support team. We do see now that you have been in touch with support and that they have recommended a specific resolution for you. We'll be following up again to make sure that recommendation provides you with the closure you need so you can get back to business. We very much appreciate your patience.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

The companies I worked for before used different telephone companies. So when I moved to this company, somebody who use the 8x8 service referred it to us, so that’s how we turned to them. I have a good response from them when I need some assistance. I use the normal telephone line and the voicemail for sales, customer service and from the people who use our station. But I am having some problems with the fax from the virtual office. I used to use it but I don’t know why it was disconnected or discontinued for service, and I want to really start using it. Also, there were times that I used to have a lost connection for the telephone, but now it happens less. Everything is working better now. I’ve had a good experience with 8x8. They're a good company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

We've been with 8x8 since 2011. The system is easy to use, and we use it mostly for inbound calling where customers call and then it gets redirected to where it needs to go. I haven’t talked to anybody at 8x8 in a while. I had one frustrating experience with one of the settings a couple of years ago, but we got it resolved. I spoke to a couple of account reps. One was really good and engaged, but the other one left me alone. Additionally, I made some adjustments to my account and one of the reps walked me through it, and she was really good. Overall, my experience with 8x8 has been okay.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I've been using 8x8's phone system since 2005. Most of the time it works perfectly but sometimes we seem to have a little bit of a stutter on the line. I can hear most of what the other party is saying but occasionally when they said something, I don't know if they're dialing out on a voice over IP system. It could be their side or my side but we never know anymore what people are calling on. In the past, when I've needed to call their customer service, they've always been most helpful and they've always responded. Even if I had an issue with their website, they've responded and problems have always been taken care of. Unfortunately, they can't control my internet connection if there were problems. So far, they've given me a fixed monthly cost on all my phone calls so it makes life easy to budget.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

After spending plenty of research for a VOIP Service Provider it appeared that 8x8 VOIP (http://8x8.com) would be my company's best choice. Sales department was smooth and efficient, like One would expect, until the first problem and then the customary "I will send a Support Ticket to Technical Support". I am still waiting for that call. Finally I called Technical Support and after an exhaustive wait on hold listening to the same recording "Your Call Is Important To Us..." 30 minutes, 1 hour... yes someone finally answered and proceeded to read to me the same online diagnostic protocol from the 8x8 Self Help Library. Yes I am IT and I can read too! The end result? I am still waiting for Tech to fix their problems:

Complaint #1 SMS does not work! Complaint #2 Microphone volume on outgoing calls is too low for other parties to hear (Note: Polycom 310 VOIP Phone). Check the Internet and you too will find plenty of complaints regarding Microphone Level too Low. The Greatest Complaint: The above comments being said "8x8 Technical Support is even Lower." 8x8 VOIP could be a great company, if and only if, they first create a great Technical Support Department. As of now support is overrated at 3 stars... should be a zero, however, I am not quite harsh enough to provide such a poor rating.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

We use 8x8 for general office use and their team was courteous. The last time, however, they weren’t able to help us. We had to get our IT guy out. We were having trouble with the internet and it had something to do with the modem. 8x8 kept telling us the modem was correct but it wasn’t. We didn’t even have the right kind of modem. It was a big issue. We switched internet providers and had them bring the correct modem then our IT guy was able to set everything up correctly. We've had our troubles with 8x8. Throughout the years, sometimes the calls dropped, sometimes the calls had bad static . Other than that 8x8 works for what we need it for and it’s a good program. Overall it’s been a pleasant experience.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

As an administrator, I refer out 8x8 when people ask me, but I warn them that without high internet speed, the system will fall short in comparison to the demands of the office. We had them when we moved to this new building and until we got the fiber, we had significant issues because the bandwidth would not support the multiple lines. It would drop out and the call quality was bad. However, the 8x8 team has always been helpful. There have been times when I have called and have not always gotten the issue resolved right away, but they're good about getting somebody to help us out and get it fixed within 24 to 48 hours. Also, their software and their ability for me to go in and delete voicemails and listen to them, and the way that they are set up in our system to be emailed, and we can access them through the email system is all great. So it's good for productivity.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

8x8 is our first VoIP system and we’ve been with them for 10 years now. We have many extensions in which some are for inbound-outbound sales, while others are for operations. We’re a construction company so we might have mobile offices and 8x8 has been a great help, as far as being able to take our phones and put them wherever these mobile offices be situated is concerned. Their team was friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable any time we’ve called them. 8x8 is also reasonably priced for a full system that can do everything we need to do. The only downside that we’ve had is sometimes the sound is not the greatest. But other than that, they have been very good for us.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I heard about 8x8 through one of our business coaches and it's been a good experience with them. My sales rep's tremendous. Even if it’s not something that she can help me with, she gets me to the right person. On the other hand, tech support sometimes can be a little tricky. I get bounced around a little bit there. But eventually, I do get to the right person and get it answered.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

We started a new company and we're satisfied with 8x8's phone system. Everything’s been timely resolved and customer service is good.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

We use the phone system by 8x8 for general office use and it has maintained our business. Their team has been very friendly and helpful. Whenever I need something, they are able to answer and get it for me so I have no problems. I’m very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

8x8 takes care of everything we need and their price is right. When we have a problem, the team quickly deals with it. We've also recommended the service to other business owners.

8x8 expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Another pioneer in VoIP history, 8x8 offers a complete range of cloud-based telecommunications solutions.​

• Full communications suite: 8x8 offers the entire unified communications suite, which includes chat, web conferencing, document sharing, text, video and voice.

• HIPAA compliant: With collaboration tools and HIPAA compliance, 8x8 makes a good fit with healthcare organizations and telemedicine applications.

• Education focus: As a certified E-rate provider, 8x8 qualifies K-12 schools for subsidies for communications services.

• Security measures: 8x8 also complies with the rigorous standards of the U.S. Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), FIPS 140-2 for data encryption and PCI-DSS for credit card security.

• Contact center: 8x8 provides all the contact center pieces for agents, callers and supervisors: analytics, CRM integration and workforce scheduling/training/monitoring.

• Real time reporting: 8x8's real-time call-center reporting runs on smartphones and goes wherever supervisors go.

• Accessories: Headphones, desk phones, webcams, routers and adapters can all be purchased through 8x8.

• Best for: Small businesses and large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

8x8 Company Information