3.19/5
Based on 140 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

8x8

8x8 delivers cloud-based business communications solutions that are affordable, easy to use, and incredibly advanced. We help businesses serve their customers better, work smarter and conduct business anywhere, anytime. From hosted VoIP business phone service to hosted contact centers to unified communications, our services are proven, reliable and less expensive than traditional solutions.

8x8 is ranked the #1 provider of hosted business VoIP by industry analyst firm, Frost & Sullivan.

Visit us at www.8x8.com. Our products and services include:

- 8x8 Virtual Office: Cloud-based VoIP business phone service - 8x8 Virtual Office Pro: VoIP business phone service bundled with online fax, web conferencing, call recording

- 8x8 Virtual Contact Center: Cloud-based call center / contact center

View More View More

146 8x8 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Have had 8 x 8 residential phone for a long time. We now need a new phone as ours is worn out. Can’t find out how to reach them to cancel services as they are charging us as if we were a company. What can I do?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

On Aug 23, 2018 I started with 8x8 with a one month free trial. There were plenty of problems with the service and support but I'll get to that later. What's really bothering me at the moment is that this was only a free trial to see if the service worked for me and it's only been a bit over a week. I found a charge to my bank debit card yesterday? Why? They told me it was a pro rata charge for to complete September so my billing would be at the beginning of the month. So even tho I haven't determined to continue with them I'm getting a charge already. Again, this was a free trial. With the other problems I'd had with them it was already in question if I'd continue with them. I have a feeling this is not a financially stable company that will do anything to get a few bucks and to avoid giving it back.

My other problems? Here goes. My phone kept on getting disconnected from their server. I can't use a soft phone on my computer so that was my only option. It would take over 20 minutes to get tech support over the phone. They would tell me I need to talk to an IT person. I'm an older gentleman who is virtually technologically illiterate working out of a home office. Where am I supposed to get an IT guy? They told me to talk to my service provider? About what? I'm technologically illiterate. If I need to go back and forth it's going to be great waiting on hold over 20 min to talk to support about something I don't even understand and they were unwilling to get on the phone in a 3 way call with my service provider. They are my IT if they want my business.

To make it worse, I had a girl try to take control of the conversation by talking over me. Definitely not a good idea to try with me. Listen and address what I say. Since she wouldn't stop talking over me I got pissed and started yelling at her. She put me on hold. This was a problem I'd had almost from the beginning with them that lasted several days. it wasn't unusual to spend about 4 hrs a day to try and get help resolving the problem. finally, I did get someone who could help and didn't try to pass me off to an IT guy or the service provider. Most of their tech support is not well trained. It took about 5 days to find this one tech who could help me.

Moving on, you'll note they are always pushing their High Def Conferencing. The problem is getting good help to learn how to use it properly which someone tech illiterate needs. Their prepared materials were ridiculous. Those materials extolled the features and benefits but that's selling me on something I already bought. What I needed was teaching materials which they don't have. ** joke. Most of their support had to keep looking through their resources to tell me how to use it. So they weren't well enough trained and wasted both of our time. And since I don't have resources to refer back to, I have to keep calling back for lessons where I have to wait over 20 min on hold to get to talk to anyone.

So do you want to work with a company that makes unapproved charges to your cards? Do you want a company where they avoid talking to you about billing issues and resolving them? They really don't want to give you your money back when they take it and shouldn't have. Not very honest or reputable, at all. Do you want a company that can't teach you how to properly use their features? Do you want to constantly be on hold 20 min or more when you're trying to get help or resolve issues?

Do you want to work with a company that can't fix issues and keeps trying to pass the buck to non-existent IT guys or your service provider? Do you want techs who try to force control by talking over you rather than listening and addressing the issue at hand? Do you want a company you can't speak with a manager when you need to? One time instead of the manager I finally got to speak to my salesperson. This was fun. I'd demanded a call back.

Instead I got an email that did not properly represent the issue. On one attempt to speak with a Manager I got my salesperson who said he couldn't speak to me and hung up on me. All they had to do to avoid this review was return the money to me. I should have never been charged under a free trial. Instead they went to these lengths to avoid me. This is what they get. Again, I started the free trial 8/23. It's now 9/4 and all this has happened in this short time. Do you really want to do business with this company.

Update: you’ll all love this. Now billing is trying to say that charge was for taxes. Their quote for the entire month of taxes when I was first talking to them was $10 and change. So how do they come up with over $12? First problem with their lie. Next problem, I’d already paid the taxes for the free trial. No taxes were due. Lastly, I hadn’t agreed to continue with them past the free trial so any charges whatsoever for any future services were unauthorized and inappropriate. These people are liars and thieves that will say anything only for a few bucks. The company must be on financial very thin ice. That means they could go under at any time. That means your service could be interrupted permanently without any warning. Why else fight me so hard on money they hadn’t earned yet. Oh, I also filed a complaint with the FCC. Isn’t it stupid to risk an investigation over so little and keep fighting?

The conversation continued. This supervisor was going to reach out to the salesman and his manager to see if he could get the approval to refund the money stolen. I asked to be able to speak with that manager and was told I could not. It takes his approval for me to get my money back and I can’t give him my side of the story? Furthermore, if he gets an approval to refund me the money, it will take 30 days to process the refund. So they reach into my bank account, steal my money and say if they’ll give it back I can’t have it for another 30 days. You know what, 3-5 days many, 30? It only further supports my belief this is a company in financial trouble. Again, that means, if I’m right, service could end at any time permanently.

Is that what you want to sign up for? A company with an unreliable product, support that takes over 20 min to reach and most are poorly trained, no training on their features, steals your money, fights you tooth and nail to keep from refunding it to you, support that keeps trying to speak over you, a salesman who because I have a dispute about my bill says he can’t speak to me and hangs up on me rather than passing me on to his manager and if they should be so generous as to decide to give me the money they stole from me back that it will take 30 days? Is this a company you want to deal with? And this is all since 8/23 through 9/5/18. Not much time for so much to go wrong. This is why you should always get a full and free trial before you commit to these companies.

Update- Even a free trial doesn’t help. Found they billed me for something else along the way. I’ve tried leaving but the first problem was they changed the password on my phone so I could not reprovision it with the new VoIP provider I was going to. That wasted 2 days figuring out what the problem was and getting that fixed. Essentially, that was 8x8 stealing my phone by denying me use of it. If you’re bringing your own phones, don’t do biz with 8x8 for this and the following reason.

The next reason is harassment. Evidently their system is still trying to keep in touch with my phone even after I asked them to end my service with them. The way my phone reads their contact is as a telephone call with a 4 digit extension. It just rings and rings non-stop. My phone shows 24 calls from them all at once. I can’t talk to anyone else on my phone with that incessant ringing. They have to know this is happening. They say they have to scrub my number completely from their system but the dept that does that is closed for the weekend. Others at 8x8 have no clue about this. They seem desperate not to let a customer get away by making it impossible for a person to use their phone anywhere but 8x8. And the trouble getting money back from them? Again, I was told it would take upwards of 30 days. I’ve never had a debit card refund take more than 3-5 days from anyone else.

I forgot to mention that they originally told me with the video conferencing I could have 25 participants. Then it dropped to 15, now they tell me it’s only 5. And they can’t even teach me how to use it. I thought Ring Central was the worst. It took them years to get me this upset. 8x8 has done it in about a month. Stay away. Service terrible. Tech support a couple of good ones, the rest are jokes. Customer service has no clue what’s going on and unwilling to address problems. Billing when they shouldn’t be, repeatedly. If you try them, it’s at your own risk. These guys really have to be in trouble if they make it so hard to leave and get your money back. Who knows, maybe they won’t be around in a week and there will be a lot of surprised customer service who lost their service unexpectedly with no chance it will come back.

9/25/18 and I’m still having trouble with 8x8. I still don’t have the unapproved charges to my card refunded. My phone is still ringing incessantly. I had one of their techs confess it was their computers contacting my phone and my phone interpreting it as calls. They have made my phone unusable, they’ve ruined it. They are refusing to replace it along with refusing to release my service to the new VoIP provider. WTF is that about. I cancelled, flip a switch and let me go. They say it’s being processed. They say they require 30 day notice of cancellation. On a 30 day free trial? Am I supposed to tell them the first day I have their service I don’t want it anymore? Their processes need to be fixed. Stay away from 8x8. It’s always one thing after another. This is my own phone and they won’t let it go. They won’t let me go. I’m losing money because of them, Time for a lawsuit?

Any lawyers out there want this suit? It would be a PR nightmare for them. Was just on the phone with support trying to get this resolved. They put me on hold for 40 min before hanging up on me. This is the second time they’ve done this to me. Each time I was asking to speak with a manager which they will never allow. Also just learned when I called back and spoke with another tech support and he was reading back my prior ticket. I found tech support lies to cover themselves from management on their reports of the calls.

8x8 response

Hello Scott. We stress to our teams the importance of listening and understanding the needs of our customers during any and all situations. There is nothing greater than the voice of the customer so when we hear of your disappointment, it concerns us greatly. We have reviewed your feedback extensively and will work on taking the best course of action for you to ensure that your business is properly supported by us. We will be reaching out to you further for your account information.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

You only have a 60 day window at your annual renewal to change carriers at 8x8. You agree to it- it's in the customer agreement. I made the mistake of changing mid year and was charged $1300, yup $1300. Don't do it. Find a company that cares about their reputation and customers. Do not do business with 8x8, EVER!!!

8x8 response

Greetings Darryl. We apologize if there was any confusion with your agreement and want you to know we do care about our customers. We'll definitely double check that this was handled correctly. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We used 8x8 telephone for 14 years and the first 12 years was a good experience. Something happened that made them no longer care about their customers. First, we needed the bills to start being sent to our main office. Every single month for 2 years we called and was never able to accomplish it. At one point we were even told it wasn't possible which obviously isn't true. We never did get it resolved.

When we did have a problem, we were referred to tier 3 when our issue could not be resolved which guaranteed a call within 24 hours. Over the next 2.5 weeks I would call in every other day and be told my the rep that they would deliver a note and send an email saying no one was ever getting back to me. When someone final did, they accused me on not buying the phone from them which wasn't true and had nothing to do with the issue.

Finally we had to cancel service and were transferred everywhere trying to cancel. When we finally reached what was supposed to be the right department, we were put on hold and disconnected. This happened multiple times spending hours of our time. Ultimately we got an email asking if we really wanted to transfer the numbers as they were ported out so we responded that we tried to cancel multiple times... The lines were no longer with them and to cancel. WE received another bill and got transferred around and finally spoke to Kevin. Even though we forwarded email from month ago we sent to 8x8 saying that we wanted to cancel and the lines were not with them anymore and the fact he know lines were not used in over a month... We had to pay for that month of non-use along with another month. That is over 2 months of paying for a bill when the lines were not even with them. They have become crooks.

8x8 response

Thank you for your review, William. First off, it's amazing to hear from our long time customers who have taken the journey with us. However, it pains us to know that your most recent service encounters have not been ideal. We care about your feedback and want to review this thoroughly. We'll be reaching out to you to gather more information.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

We spent 9 months with the 8x8 product and had a horrible experience all around. The VOIP system we continually had issues with. We are remote workers and work from clients, etc. Their recommendation was to configure each router we connected to or to connect to our phone Wifi in order to work through this. We had dropped calls, calls we couldn't answer and numerous other issues. We worked with tech support for over 3 months. The web meetings - our clients continuously dropped off of (during important meetings) and they wanted us to have our clients do the same thing to log in. Our clients started to question our level of service due to their tools.

They finally agreed to cancel our account. BUT, took all of our prepaid services with no refund in lieu of a cancellation fee. So essentially, they got all our money and "allowed" us to cancel early. Beware - switched to RingCentral and have had no issues. Do your research before choosing them. If you have time for dropped calls, unreliable meetings and hours with tech support, they will be a great solution for you. If not - better look elsewhere.

8x8 response

Hello Stephanie and thank you for sharing your feedback. We definitely understand your frustration and apologize that your experience with us was not favorable. We want to grow from this and get better so we'll be reaching out to you directly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 8x8?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When we did have a problem, we were referred to tier 3 when our issue could not be resolved which guaranteed a call within 24 hours. Over the next 2.5 weeks I would call in every other day and be told by the rep that they would deliver a note and send an email saying no one was ever getting back to me. When someone finally did, they accused me on not buying the phone from them which wasn't true and had nothing to do with the issue.

Finally we had to cancel service and were transferred everywhere trying to cancel. When we finally reached what was supposed to be the right department, we were put on hold and disconnected. This happened multiple times spending hours of our time. Ultimately we got an email asking if we really wanted to transfer the numbers as they were ported out so we responded that we tried to cancel multiple times... the lines were not longer with them and to cancel. We received another bill and got transferred around and finally spoke to Kevin. Even though we forwarded email from month ago we sent to 8x8 saying that we wanted to cancel and the lines were not with them anymore and the fact he know lines were not used in over a month... we had to pay for that month of non-use along with another month. That is over 2 months of paying for a bill when the lines were not even with them. They have become very corrupt.

8x8 response

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was excited about these products and the ease of use advertised by the company. However, as I have expanded and added more lines, I am being told different information. First, I was told that each number would have an associated fax line; now they have rescinded this and said that only certain numbers will have them. Then I experienced an issue with my virtual office app on my computer. I reported this on Monday of this week, and as of today (Friday), the issue is not yet fixed nor have I been offered any remedy in the meantime. I am a therapist and rely on phone service to be available to clients in case emergent issues arise. My coworker's fax line is glitchy and her computer app freezes frequently. Based on the other reviews, I can only hope that after a few months, our issues will be straightened out.

Updated on 08/09/2018: I wrote a previous review and got a nice response from the folks at 8x8. I was excited that a resolution would be forthcoming. Instead, on my ninth day without working service on my app, I went on to check the status of my case with the company and it had been deleted. The sales rep that I have tried to contact will not answer his phone and his voicemail box is full. Unbelievable. Please do not try to do business with 8x8.

8x8 response

Hi Amy and thank you for your feedback! We want to help you resolve these issues you reported as soon as possible. Your business is important to us and we understand that a reliable product is critical. We'll be reaching out to you directly to get this turned around.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

They promise the sun and the moon. In reality, their "engineers" are not even techies. It took me 2 months to get the system working for me and took 3 months to get answers to basic questions. They claim to be international, to work with clients all over the world but they do not have basic international services like local call in numbers for international clients to participate in conference calls. They said I have to buy a license for each new country number and they did not tell me this until I pushed and pushed to get the answer. I think they did not even know what I was talking about. That was unbelievable.

The support people are very nice but I spent about 100 hours on the phone and by email, trying to figure out the system and to find out whether it does what I need. Sometimes I felt like I was going insane. After I insisted, they said they will refund me for one month and let me out of the contract if I choose to leave in a month.

They do offer a decent flat rate for international calls and they do have good service to Dubai, where I call often, and where Skype and WhatsApp are not well supported. And it appears that they offer unlimited call recording, which I sometimes need. So I may stay with them because I need those two services and I want to move away from relying on Skype (Microsoft) and WhatsApp (Facebook). But I need to preserve my sanity and with this company that is questionable. I suggest you only use them if you need what they offer and can't get it anywhere else. And I hope they will actually refund me the one month and let me out of contract if I decide to leave in a month. Basically, the company is a mess. I feel badly for all the nice people who work there.

8x8 response

Hello Anna and thank you for your review. Please know that your feedback is critical to us improving and making sure we are addressing your needs. We apologize that you have been having trouble with our service and not getting complete assistance. We'll be reaching out to you personally to gather some more information on this so we can better help you moving forward.

Original review: July 30, 2018

As a law firm, there is nothing more critical that reliable telephone service. Unfortunately, 8X8 has failed to deliver a reliable product. My staff is constantly on the phone with them resolving issues that leave us without service for some or all of our phones. Phone service is something one should not have to think about. Instead 8X8 consistently wastes my employees time and requires multiple attempts to rectify problems that should not exist in the first place. We even had to change to another provider for our fax line because 8x8 technology could not support something as basic as a fax transmission. There is no reason to use this company as they provide no advantages over their competitors.

8x8 response

Hello Gary. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and take your feedback very seriously. The experience you described is definitely one we want to make better as we certainly understand that your phone system is important to your business. We'll be reaching out to you directly to address any outstanding issues and get this situation turned around.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Can't get any answers on when my Obi Adapter will arrive... When I finally escalated to my sales agent because we noticed the business credit card was charged twice, the sales agent responded with a tracking number stating it was delivered on 7/2/18. When I looked up the tracking number it was shipped to an address in Baltimore, MD and not Austin, TX. I have now been on the phone for 1 hr and still can't get a simple answer out of them. The adapter I am looking for is essential to get my fax line. Now 1 hr later they are transferring me to the billing department... nightmare.

8x8 response

Thank you for your feedback, Ernie. We'll be happy to help you with this! We'll be reaching out to you directly to gather some more information and resolve this.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Shady company with terrible customer service, long story short is we were quoted $133.46 a month and then our bill was 164.84 a month and they have given me the run around for several months with no solution in sight. Never received calls back when told I would be called back. They did not respond to BBB, yet somehow still have an A+?

The long story: I was quoted $133.46 a month including all taxes and fees by salesperson Dedo ** in Febraury, began service February 22nd. I have this in writing via email. Received our first full bill on April 1st or 2nd for $164.84, attempted to contact Dedo via email and phone and gave some time for a response. First call to customer service on 4/12, was on the phone for at least 30 minutes, was told I would get a call back later that day or the next day. Never received a call back, called back on 4/16/18 was on the phone for 23 minutes just to be told I would definitely be called back this time.

No calls back, called back on 4/20/18 spending 44 minutes on the phone being told it was escalated to the sales managers Carl ** and Mark **, the phone operator told me she left 3 messages. No calls back by 4/24/18 so I called back requesting to speak to a manager, was put in touch with sales person Bill ** who stated that he would get in touch with Dedo and also emailed myself and Dedo stating that they would lower the bill $32 a month and credit us $32 for the bills already paid. That was at 10:51am and Dedo responded back via email on the same chain at 12:04pm the same day (April 24th): “Rob, I have opened another ticket to escalate the monthly cost discrepancy. This will be resolved shortly and you will be refunded the difference.” I was on the phone for 35 minutes that day.

Emailed Dedo and Bill and called on May 3rd. Spent some time on the phone as well that day at least 30 minutes. No answers or solutions. Emailed and left messages again on 5/7/18. No responses. Called customer service on 5/8/18, spent 57 minutes on the phone to be told by salesperson Dominic that manager Carl would call me back in 5-10 minutes, they would not let me hold. Dominic said he was literally looking at Carl who was 15 feet from him and Carl would absolutely call me back in 5 to 10 minutes, no call back.

On 5/10/18 called back, spent another 57 minutes on the phone. This time being told that this was being forwarded to “everyone” and the best they could do would be a one time $32 dollar credit, despite emailing the evidence that Dedo stated our bill would be $133.46 and we entered into the contract based on that number, therefore they were in breach of contract and we would be well within our means to exit the contract based on their breach. They stated that someone would get back to me “next week,” further explained that the response time is typically 48 hours, but with the weekend approaching it would likely be by Tuesday for some reason. To their credit, it ended up being a $64 dollar credit, so 2 months worth out of the 12 in the contract… Messaged on the support website Tuesday 5/15/18 around 1:30pm asking for an update. No answers at all.

Called on 5/17/18, a full week after the 5/10/18 call where I was told I would be called back within 48 hours, but because it was the weekend it would be Tuesday, so 4 business days, but I never received a call anyway. Waited to speak with someone for just under 30 minutes, spoke with Santiago who attempted to explain again to me that it was a mistake with the taxes and fees and I had to explain yet again that it was that we were quoted $133.46 including taxes and fees with no discussion at all that that amount could possibly be different. He spent about 20 minutes of bumbling around before finally telling me that he called and left a message for Carl the manager in sales and also provided me with Carl’s number to try myself if Carl did not get back to me on his own accord. I called at 5:38 and left a voicemail with a bit of an explanation and asking him to please call back. Left my number 2x on the voicemail.

Since then I have attempted to call Carl several times, once per day, each time leaving a voicemail with my name, a brief description of the issue and my number 2x. It is almost 2 months since the first contact and still no solution, still no contact from a manager. Our case is still open with no contact from the company. This is by far the worst customer experience I have ever had in any industry or with any product. It is a clear breach of contract (quoted one amount all inclusive and charging more).

8x8 response

Greetings Robert. We very much appreciate the information provided and we're so sorry that your experience with us has not been ideal. Your satisfaction is important to us so we'll be reaching out to you directly to sort this out.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been with 8x8 since early 2000's (2002 I think). There were very many service issues early on but customer support was available and useful. Finally that worked itself out and voice is pretty good and consistent. Early on it was easy to get customer service. Now connecting with customer service is difficult. The number was on the website as well as an email. Now it is not. One of the sales numbers will take you through menus that led you to service. At that point you will be put on hold for a long time. There is a message that they will call you back and you will not lose your place in line. After 48 hours I am still waiting for the callback. If you are able to get customer service they treat you well. 8x8 has grown and has added many very useful services. I do believe they are overpriced for their product currently. The competition has different options and lower price and a reachable customer support. I am switching before end of year.

8x8 response

Hello Ronald and thank you so much for your feedback! It's awesome to hear from someone who has been with the company for such a long time. We value our customers and don't want to see you leave. We'll be reaching out to you directly and will be happy to not only discuss your experiences further but assist you with any outstanding issues.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Monthly credit card charges 3x agreement. No invoices or statement. Customer service responded by telling us to login online. That was impossible because they did not recognize any of the phone numbers they had given us as belonging to their system. Impossible to get in touch with them. After 6 hours of attempts I went to the credit card issuer and complained. These are crooks who belong in jail for fraud and theft. No joke!

8x8 response

Hi Randall. We're so sorry to hear this! Your business is important to us and we definitely want to help you get this sorted out so we'll be messaging you directly to gather some more details to further assist you.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Terrible cancellation policy. I cancelled my service on May 2nd, and then I get a charge for the whole month of May. Nice money grab, you guys. I'm making sure everyone knows to avoid your service because of poor policy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Please do not use this company. They are thieves in my opinion. I tried to cancel service because we went with another VoIP, after being with them since 2011, and it took me 5 months to finally get it canceled. We were on auto pay and they kept charging our card every month even though I had called to cancel. I finally reported them to the credit card company as fraud (because it was) and they finally canceled the service. (I hope anyway) They also charged us a fee of over $500.00 to cancel due to an automatic contract renewal that was buried in the paperwork that we knew nothing about. Do not let them get their hands on your credit card!

8x8 response

Hello Pam and thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience. We would like to dive deeper into this and discuss it with you further. We'll be sending you a direct message and look forward to your response!

Original review: March 30, 2018

8x8 provides the worst service I have ever encountered in my life. Infinitely long hold times. Broken apps. No one responds to emails. No one cares. The list goes on and on. The Salesforce app doesn't work period. The analytics package doesn't work period. They know about both problems and are incapable of fixing. 8x8 has been the worst business decision of my life.

8x8 response

Hi there and thank you for your review. First off, we're so sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with us. We strive to produce a quality product and great customer service and it disappoints us when you feel you are not getting that. We'll be sending you a direct message so we can work with you on turning this situation around!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Stay away from this company!! They take your money and provide horrible service. You can't pick your numbers... you can pick your area codes, you can't speak to anybody until they decide to activate your numbers. Then you contact their support center located in the Philippines and they're as incompetent as the rest of the company. BEWARE of this company! Not a good choice.

8x8 response

Hello and thank you for your review. We value your feedback immensely and apologize that your interactions with us were not the top notch experience we strive for. We would like to discuss your review with you further so please be on the lookout for a follow up.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

BEWARE of charges if you seek to disconnect your service even after being a customer for over 8 years. Free phone offer requires staying for at least 2 years or a $200 disconnect fee with only a few months remaining. BEWARE. BEWARE. You can not transfer the number they provide to another carrier as I have tried numerous times and various other carriers, they trap you. BEWARE. BEWARE of echoes on the line which come and go for the last 8 years with new phones not fully solving the problem. Clients certainly get annoyed on the phone with us. BEWARE.

8x8 response

Hi Steven. First off, thank you for your feedback. It definitely disappoints us that you felt this way and we would like to improve on this situation moving forward. We'll be reaching out to you!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We have spent hours and hours with tech support with this company over the past year. We would lose our dedicated vanity number that all our marketing materials feature if we left. Our customers can't reach us. If you are trying to grow a business I would keep away from this company. Hoping this last few hours with tech support is our last.

8x8 response

Greetings Delia. We never want our customers to feel bad about service. Our goal is to provide you with a solid customer experience so you can focus on giving the same to your own customers. We'll be following up with you directly regarding any outstanding issues you may have and will look to turn them around.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I would highly recommend staying away from 8x8 for VOIP. I had them for three years paying $430 per month for 10 phones. Then one month the bill goes to $785. They won’t give me a credit but tell me on the phone that it will go back down the next month. It doesn’t so I call again. Same thing. No credits but it will go down next month. It didn’t. I cancel. Although originally I signed up for month to month they tell me take when I called to fix the monthly increase that I was moved into an annual. Of course I never got the original price. They made me pay two months to cancel plus are sending me to collection and threatening my credit score for early cancellation fees. DON’T DO IT. 8x8 is the worst!

8x8 response

Thank you for your review, Howard. We're so sorry that you feel your experience with us was not ideal and we want to explore more about what happened here. Please know that we strive for excellent customer service and will use whatever we learn to get better. We'll be reaching out to you personally.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Customer service has been going downhill steadily. Three times have lost incoming calls for days - they don't even go to voicemail - just dead air. Way to go 8x8! The fix was, you have to turn this off and then back on and then it will work. Why don't you just fix the problem? Billing is horrendous! They delay responding to "cases" for days. Tried to move my service to Vonage and 8x8 couldn't change the address on my phone number to make it possible. Really? This company could put me out of business. Dec 2017, my bill was increased by 50%. No advance notice - and once they take your money it's really hard to get it back. I downgraded my service and still waiting for a proration. Why didn't that happen automatically? Why do I have to keep tabs on you to make things right?

8x8 response

Hello Glenda and thank you for your review. We appreciate you detailing your experience. Please know that we do truly care about your satisfaction with our support and want to make sure you got the proper treatment and assistance since you submitted this review. Please be on the lookout for a follow up.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My company is global, with locations on 3 continents. For some reason, our Australian office ceased receiving billing statements. When approached about the issue, I was told that 8x8 no longer provided support service to our account and referred me to a company by the name of Entrust. Despite numerous emails to both entities, they both have dropped the ball and I have received no assistance at all.

8x8 response

Greetings Paula. We appreciate your review! We would like to discuss this in further detail with you personally so we'll be following up to gather some more information.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The actual service has been good. However the company's billing practices are predatory. They require a contract. At the end of the contract your monthly rate can nearly double. It happened to me without warning. They have a strong hand if you want to port the phone numbers when you quit them. I'll be moving to another service, one that has no contract. Any company that has a corporate policy designed to catch you "sleeping at the wheel" is not one you want to do business with.

8x8 response

Hi Steve. Thank you for your review! We never want our customers to feel like they are having a difficult time when it comes to our service and support. Your feedback is important to us so we'll be personally reaching out to you to discuss this further.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I got rid of my physical fax machine to use the 8x8 office. I find out that 8x8 was still charging the fax line that the person who set this up did not disconnect and when the issue was found out when I went to get a new phone system, 8x8 refused to reimburse for this charge that should have been removed. Extremely disappointed that such a big company would do this and not take responsibility as it was obvious the line was never used in the 3 years and they know that there was obviously no need for it.

8x8 response

Hello Julie. We're so sorry to hear this! We will be happy to review this situation with you and make sure that the proper solution was given. We work hard to provide a reliable and helpful support experience so your feedback is critical for us as we continue to grow. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

DO NOT USE. They run a scam whereby when you end service with them they continue to fully charge you for as long as they can get away with it, then refuse to give your money back when you catch them. I switched to JIVE on 6/27/17 as they had better prices and no contract on over 30 lines comparing to 8x8. 8x8 ported my number to JIVE per my request. After all was completed I called 8x8 to cancel/notify that I will no longer use the account. Month later I received another bill (over $380) from 8x8. Call them again. 8x8 acknowledge they had ported the number away and my service had ended at 8x8. It's November now - still charging my account for numbers I ported to Jive in June. My sales rep doesn't call me back for week now. I don't have a time for this BS. My lawyer will take care of it from now on. DO NOT USE 8x8.

8x8 response

Hi Michael and thank you for your review. If this has not been addressed already, we would definitely like to discuss this with you asap. We'll be reaching out to you personally to gather some more information.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Signed up for 8X8’s service at the end of the month and was given all kinds of discounts as a promo. Purchased the service and one of their phones and was told I would receive a call from support dept to start my set up in 24-48 hours. The sales rep said she would get started on porting over my existing number. I signed their documents and they charged my card. Everything was great. 5 day pass with no call, not 24-48 hours. 5th business day I get a call to schedule my support set up call for 4 days from that date. 9 days in I speak to the support set up dept and I'm told the porting of my number can start as of now, not 9 days ago when I signed up and that will take another 5-7 business days. After completing the set up call and walk through I'm told I will be receiving a series of 3 emails confirming my porting of the number.

Another 8 business day pass and no emails so I call customer support. Their customer service agents at 8X8 have no idea what department to send you to nor which department they even work in for that matter. It's a complete circus! Finally get to a tech support agent after 3 separate calls because of being placed on hold and then getting disconnected from them. He tells me he does not even see a porting ticket created and that it has not been done nor started, all this after almost an hour and a half on hold. That's all I could deal with so I moved on to the cancellation process.

Bottom line. It's been a full month and I have a phone sitting on my desk that's used as a paper weight. I've used my Ooma service throughout this complete disaster of a cloud phone service carrier. For any small or mid sized business owner your time is valuable and 8X8 has no regard for it whatsoever. They will run you around and around with excuses and reasons as to where the mishap has taken place but none of it being on them of course.

8X8 is completely unprofessional and disorganized and has no regard for your time as a consumer. They have also never heard the term customer service. I was more than patient with the time frames I was given and only to find out nothing was being done. Sale rep didn't return calls after the sale was made and her voicemail no longer says it's even her, always nice to know the direct contact for your business phone carrier may not be with the company next week. Do yourself a favor and RUN from this company!!! Your business phone service is far too important to be in the hands of this company and their complete inability to perform the services they offer.

8x8 response

Hello Robert. We stress to our teams the importance of listening and understanding the needs of our customers during any and all situations. There is nothing greater than the voice of the customer so when we hear of your disappointment, it concerns us greatly. We have reviewed your feedback extensively and will work on taking the best course of action for you to ensure that your business is properly supported by us. We will be reaching out to you further for your account information.

Original review: July 31, 2017

We used this service for our remote sales organization to make it easier to keep in touch with them through the instant messaging system. The phones had many service problems and they made it incredibly difficult to have service requests managed, then when I finally called to cancel, they are charging $500 in hidden fees. Horrible!

8x8 response

Thank you for your review, Jamie. We're so sorry we were unable to make this work out for you. Your feedback is critical and we will be reviewing your account history to ensure we continue to grow from this and improve our product.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

We purchased a VVX300 system and returned it in 2-weeks for an upgrade the VVX600. We received a shipping label from the 8x8 returns center with a document to enclose with our return. Of course I was immediately charged for the new phones and promised credit for the returned phone. We complied and returned the shipment in the original packaging. We have been chasing our refund for 8 months now and we keep being told that we need to provide the shipping label. I have explained 10 times we did not produce the shipping label they did. Now they won't respond so I am going to get a lawyer and sue them. Sexy sales process, terrible customer support and follow through. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else for your phone system. Very dishonest business practice.

8x8 response

Hello Liz. We appreciate your review. Your satisfaction is important to us so we will be following up with you to see if your issue stated in this review has been addressed.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

We have been with 8x8 for over a year now. With so many outages it has caused our business to lose a lot of money. They are constantly going down and having interruptions. So much so that they have gone to the point of paying us back so we don't seek legal ramifications. Just in the past month alone we have had 6 outages with management still scratching their heads on how this could have happened. We had to wait 5 months for a Microsoft outlook integration download that they had an error for. We had our SSO page bringing up a white blank page for almost 3 months while 8x8 tried to figure it out.

Our whole VO application was down for that whole time while they sat on their hands. I have reached out to senior management and all they do is ignore you until you threaten them with a lawyer and a break in contract. Their support staff is more of a complaint hotline because they are never able to help they just created a ticket and say they will get back to you. There is no communication throughout the entire company. Support staff is unaware of outages on the network and data center levels so when you call in they tell you "it must be you or your ISP" because they don't know they are even having an outages yet. No one at 8x8 seems to ever be on the same page and is always scrambling. Not a good company to work with at all.

8x8 response

Hi J. We never want you to feel like you can't get the assistance you need when you contact our support staff. We work hard to train and provide our support teams with the tools they need to offer great customer support. When we are not meeting expectations, we definitely want to correct that. We'll be reaching out to further!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Please be advised that as current customers of 8x8 we ordered a headset to assist with answering calls in our retail store. It took me 3 days, but believed that I finally had it put together correctly. I did not. It did not work. I contacted our Sales rep who came in and tried to get it to work. He tried for about a half hour and then called technical support where we were told we were missing a part. They ordered the part on November 15, 2016. We have not and do not intend on opening the box and would like to return the product for a FULL Refund. It is not our fault that the first set was not packed properly and came defective. We have not opened the replacement so I have no idea what is in the box and if it is defective or if all parts are there.

When I called, I was told company policy is that after 30 days the item cannot be returned and that was that. But again, not our fault that the first headset was defective and we should not be punished for this. I just want to return the product and get a credit for it. I was told that was not possible since it is past the 6 month period. They gave me a bogus e-mail contact. Called the escalation department - Does not exist. This is a horrible, horrible company. I recommend to no one.

8x8 expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Another pioneer in VoIP history, 8x8 offers a complete range of cloud-based telecommunications solutions.​

• Full communications suite: 8x8 offers the entire unified communications suite, which includes chat, web conferencing, document sharing, text, video and voice.

• HIPAA compliant: With collaboration tools and HIPAA compliance, 8x8 makes a good fit with healthcare organizations and telemedicine applications.

• Education focus: As a certified E-rate provider, 8x8 qualifies K-12 schools for subsidies for communications services.

• Security measures: 8x8 also complies with the rigorous standards of the U.S. Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), FIPS 140-2 for data encryption and PCI-DSS for credit card security.

• Contact center: 8x8 provides all the contact center pieces for agents, callers and supervisors: analytics, CRM integration and workforce scheduling/training/monitoring.

• Real time reporting: 8x8's real-time call-center reporting runs on smartphones and goes wherever supervisors go.

• Accessories: Headphones, desk phones, webcams, routers and adapters can all be purchased through 8x8.

• Best for: Small businesses and large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

8x8 Company Information