1.63/5

181 Sony Cameras Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

I got the Sony A5100 camera back in 2016 for $650. This year while on a trip in Portugal it suddenly stopped working when I needed it the most as it was my honeymoon. I took care of this camera like it was my baby and it never suffered any damage. I contacted SONY and it was absolutely the worst experience that I’ve ever had with any company. I was told that repairing the camera would be over $250 and mind you, the current price is $450. I was told to email the customer support team in the hopes of getting a voucher for a new camera or to possibly have the repair cost lowered. I got an email mail back stating that the company would not help me out because they have no money in their budget. Absolutely unreal as SONY is worth billions of dollars. Horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have been a proud owner of a SONY DSC-HX400V for 2.5 years; period during which the device worked without problems. Suddenly, although I have taken much care of the camera, a blinking error message "E:62:10" appeared just after the camera was turned on, and continued to blink continuously on the screen for the entire period of use. This is a generic error with the stabilization system. Then the high zoom pictures are blurred and even in the viewfinder there is a shake.

What was not my surprise to find out via a simple search of the error message on the Internet (google E:62:10) that it is a recurring problem that (very) many users are facing just after the expiration of the warranty, and this with several models of SONY cameras. I have listed so far more than 310 forums, each forum lists dozens of users with the same problem. There is however a procedure that allows to operate the stabilizer again, unfortunately it must be repeated each time the device is turned on. I hope my experience will serve other users.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My Sony a7SII experienced a range of problems while shooting a feature film this past year (Ghosting and continues spots on my sensor). I attended a trade show which Sony had a booth. I spoke with Courtney ** at this show. We first discussed how we, as consumers are not really suppose to clean our own sensor. This is a mirrorless camera with the sensor exposed every time you change lenses. Not only are you not suppose to clean it with any of the usual DSLR sensor cleaning products but Sony does not tell you what the ingredient is that they use to clean the camera. If you use any of the dslr produces I'm told you can fog up your sensor. This was not told to me by Vistek the Toronto company I purchased the camera from. You are suppose to ship it off to Sony (Vistek is not even allowed to clean it) every time your sensor has a spot. This is obviously not practical when you are in the middle of a shoot.

Mr ** promised to do a range of things for me. First he would have my camera shipped to Sony Canada's head office in Toronto to have it looked at even thou my warranty was up. They would give me a loner camera while all my issues would be addressed. He also told me he did not have a business card (as he "ran out"). I tracked him down afterward and left a number of messages. No response. Nothing. All BS. I contacted Sony directly and told them my issues and my promises by Mr **.

Their response is my camera is not under warranty and we can't help you. At all. Not even tell me where I could go to pay to have my camera looked at. I use this camera to make living. My work has to pass quality control by major broadcasters. Now I have an expensive camera that I no longer feel comfortable using. I have no help from Sony. Very very disappointed. Maybe it's time to move on to the Panasonic GH5. The only useful thing Courtney ** told me was the secret ingredient to cleaning your a7SII is Isopropyl alcohol 99%. Thanks Sony. You're amazing at customer services.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have two Nikons (D90 and D3300) as well as a PixPro and my Sony RX100 (my wife also has a Nikon D3300 and a Sony RX100; it's our hobby). Without a doubt, the Sony is the go-to camera and seldom fails us. The images are crystal clear, the exposure is dead-on and the pocketability of these little gems are without equal. The only thing I could possibly wish is that the LCD screen articulated as do the later versions. But I can't bring myself to trade them in since they working and making beautiful images. I'm sorry for the many here who appear to have had bad experiences but I can say that our experience is the opposite and I would highly recommend the Sony brand to anyone interested in photography.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

After spending $30,000 plus on Sony gears. One of my a7S II LCD screen died after shooting in the rain for about 5 mins. Sony referred me to MTC at ** in Whitby. They denied the warranty coverage claiming liquid damage. I understand that but they shocked me with a quote for $3100 for a $3700.00 Camera. So the email quote was "Good morning (from Frank **) Please find attached estimate for your reference Sony camera above. Unit may require more parts in order to complete the repair. Unit would not be economical to repair. Please note this unit has a value of $3499.99." I was ridiculed by this. It's simply a robbery. Please be warned before you send cameras to MTC or Sony repair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: May 29, 2017

I bought a Sony camera in December 2016 and was eligible for a $50 cashback. Despite immediately registering online to receive this (though I needed some help as the website was not functioning properly) I am yet to receive this almost 6 months later. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and pushing on my behalf, last week Sony sent me a $50 EFTPOS gift card which can be used at a variety of stores. Not quite cashback, but acceptable. But, in order to activate the gift card online, you need a 'claim code' which was not supplied to me. I rang Sony (as suggested in the accompanying letter if you did not receive an email with the claim code) and they had no record of this gift card. They are supposedly going to get back to me but I have no faith whatsoever that they will. And even if they do, I'm sure something else will go wrong given my experience thus far. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

My wife has a A77 II camera. It suddenly stopped working last September. Since it was just out of warranty, Sony told us to send it to Precision Camera repairs. The repair cost was around $400 (over a third of the original camera cost). We sent it in September and Precision Camera repairs kept it for over a month "waiting for the part". When it was sent back, it was basically in the same state it was when originally sent - unable to turn it on since day one. We sent it back again, and was sent back to us end November. The camera worked for a while, then again the autofocus stopped working in the middle of our trip. Now precision camera does not even answer my request for them to pay the return shipping cost, while we are still under their 3 months warranty! My name is Christian **; the camera serial number is 3376891; the last order repair is **.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

The camera fits in my front pocket, opens quickly, takes decent 16 mp pictures, also fair video, and battery life is outstanding. There's good ease of use except for the wheel control. I have dropped it a few times so some of the features flip on automatically. It's a good and practical camera with a good value for the price.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I like my camera because it was a gift from my husband. It is priced well and is under 50.00. Also, it is a Point-and-Shoot camera. It is small enough to use anywhere and takes clear sharp pictures. The pictures are pretty awesome when developed. It has also not been broken or damaged in the 6 years that I have owned it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

My Sony camera is a great unit and it takes great pictures except in the bright sunlight without an eye viewfinder to see the image that you want to shoot. It would be better with a viewfinder. Otherwise it has very good value and has good ease of use.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

One of the leading electronic manufacturers in the world, Sony is an international entertainment company with a branch of its development devoted to cameras and video recorders.

• Cyber-shot cameras: Cyber-shot cameras have fixed lenses designed to deliver professional-grade images from a compact device.

• α E-mount cameras: The α (Alpha) line of Sony cameras is designed to perform like DSLR cameras but without the hefty size and weight. Like full-size DSLR cameras, these cameras feature interchangeable lenses to adapt to the user’s need.

• Lens-style cameras: Sony’s line of lens-style cameras link up with the user’s smartphone to extend the range and focus of the phone’s camera. The user can also outfit this camera with compatible E-mount lenses.

• Exmor sensor: One of the key features of Sony’s camera products is the Exmor sensor. This sensor lowers image noise to reduce grain, producing a clearer, more focused image.

• G Master lenses: Sony’s latest G Master lenses are created for top-of-the-line performance. They are designed for faster focus and comprehensive user control, and they are resistant to dust and moisture, making maintenance easier.

• Best for: Sony cameras are best for users who value versatility in performance and customization.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs