Panasonic Cameras

Panasonic Cameras
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5

Panasonic Cameras Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Panasonic Cameras?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Panasonic?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I've been shooting their pocket cameras, most recently the ZS70, for six years now. I bought a previous model to take to Europe, using it for outdoor shots and my Canon 6D with a 17-40 for indoor shots rather than carry two DSLRs. The combination worked brilliantly. After I returned, I purchased the ZS70 for the eye-level finder and the incredible zoom.

I can't say a bad thing about the ZS70. Amazing camera. The optical zoom range is mind-blowing, the 1080/4K video is fantastic, the touch-screen back control is aces, the five-step bracketing: love it. Well, I do have two problems with it. I keep it in my pants pocket so that I always have a quality camera at hand when I leave the house, and the diopter adjustment is too easily scrambled, but that's an easy reset.

The big problem is the 'lens cap' shutter blades. That's actually a secondary problem. The main problem is the front piece to the lens assembly. The metal is too thin and is easily damaged, causing the blades that cover the lens to not open and close smoothly. Thus, I had to send it in for repairs. And that begins my trouble with Panasonic's one and only repair center in the USA. They receive it, and send me an estimate. I say okay, fix it. Radio silence. Several weeks later, I email them asking when the repair will be done, they say 'You haven't paid the invoice.' I check the email chain - I don't delete emails - no invoice.

They claim they sent me an invoice X weeks ago, fine, whatever. Now I have an invoice and I pay it. It's a significant portion of the price of the camera: over 50%. Now I get another email: they had under-priced a part and want an additional $X for the repair, taking the repair price to almost 75% the price of the camera! And if I don't get the camera repaired, I'm still out $65 for the price of the estimate. *sigh*

I'm so thoroughly not happy about this. Underquoting a part, and I have my doubts that an invoice was sent on the day they said it was. But it might have been. Also no follow-up from them when three weeks go by without a response on the invoice that they said they sent - that would have alerted me whether they'd sent it or not. Very unprofessional. And with repairs at 3/4ths the price of a new unit? They could offer a refurbished unit for less when prices get so close to the actual sales price.

I've been shooting seriously for over four decades, and I own a lot of quality gear, including film and medium and large format. I was considering buying a Lumix DSLR system, but after this treatment, I'm having serious reservations. The fact that there's only one point of service, every has to be shipped, and I'm really not satisfied with their service, doesn't make me comfortable. With my Canon gear and most of my other equipment, I can get it serviced all over the country.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

What makes these cameras so special are the lenses which are the heart of any camera. I have had a succession of Panasonic cameras which have traveled with me around the world and have never failed me.

Get buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

The Panasonic DC-ZX series of cameras (1/2.3" sensor) have a Leica lens with a 30x optical zoom. At their price point (especially when you buy last year's model) they are an exceptional value. My ZX70 has enough features to keep me busy for days understanding all its capabilities. It also can be a point-and-shoot 'pocket' camera, but it is a large one at that (WHD: 112x67x41 mm, 4.41x2.64x1.61 inches). This camera takes exceptional telephoto pictures and has image stabilization. Movies and time-lapse are also modes of operation. It is not waterproof, but it has a flip out tilting touch screen 3" display. It is not a pro camera but comes close, and for its size it is a powerhouse.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I got NO tech support from Panasonic. If you don’t want your expensive product to become obsolete and wind up in a landfill, beware of Panasonic. I wrote several times to ask what kind of cord I needed to connect my Panasonic device with my newer computer. Panasonic’s replies were that it no longer offered support for my device and “this is only going to be possible by receiving assistance from a service center. At the moment, we do not have an authorized service center in your area,” a Metropolitan Statistical Area of over 4.5 million people. Next time I buy, I’ll look for a company that stands behind its products.

Original review: May 23, 2019

After I sent in my camera, I never received an email so I reached out to the company two weeks later and they said they didn't have the right email so they couldn't reach out. Anyways a week after that they still hasn't reached out to tell me what the issue was with my camera. I told them since I have warranty, with my job it's important to have a good camera and I need it working so send me a new camera. They wanted to send me a refurbished camera. I'm no. I bought a brand new one so I will get a brand new one back. They told me they would call me back. Every phone call I had with them but they never stuck to their word. So now I have a camera that works, but who knows if it's actually refurbished or not. When customer service says they will reach out to you and they don't..it's very rude and upsetting. I am not happy with this company and I hope they learn to follow their word when they tell a customer something.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I love this camera. It is lightweight yet has 10X zoom and a 1" sensor. Operationally, it has 2 glitches: the diopter compensation wheel sticks out so far and turns too easily, so it turns while I am carrying it, and I need to refocus the eyepiece frequently. Also the ring around the lens that controls exposure compensation turns too easily and the camera locks up until the shutter release is pressed halfway. Overall, 90% of the advantages of the Sony RX-100-6 at half the price.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I bought a Panasonic DMC TZ220 camera on 9 Jul 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. I wanted it to get sharper pictures than my two TZ30 cameras can offer (the TZ220 has a larger sensor area). I love the portability of all of these compact cameras (very easy when traveling). I was disappointed to find that the pictures taken on the TZ220 are not as vivid in color as compared with the TZ30 cameras. I contacted Panasonic via Sydney, Australia seeking assistance. I sent them images taken on each cameras plus other technical parameters but they didn't acknowledge any issue or give me any serious response. I am left wondering whether I made the right decision to buy the TZ220. More often than not, I find myself still using the older cameras because they produce a better result.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I bought the Panasonic Lumix G7 Mirrorless Camera in a bundle online through Ritz Camera through Amazon.com. I was very happy with it. A little short of two years, the front control wheel started spinning around without staying put, thus changing the settings while shooting. It was out of the one year warranty. I tried to get satisfaction through my credit card company, which covers another year, but they just gave me the run-around. I contacted Panasonic through Facebook. They sent me the Tech Support phone number. I tried that and got no help.

I sent another message to Panasonic at Facebook, and they suggested their chat line. I spoke with someone there, who said unless I had registered my camera on their 3 year warranty, they couldn't help me. Well, since I hadn't bought the camera from them directly, I knew nothing about the 3 year warranty at the time. The rep said I had to call the Tech Support number and ask for a supervisor. I followed their menu system when I called, and wound up getting bounced out. Conclusion: Panasonic has poor customer service and will not stand behind their product. They have plenty of people giving demos on how great their products are, but will not make sure the customer is happy in the long run. So long, Panny, I won't be buying your cameras again.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have the FZ300 bridge camera -- one non-removable long telephoto lens. I've been using these since about 2006. It is smaller and lighter than a DSLR. This is an excellent camera for a beginner because it takes good photos on auto, but as one's skills grow, the camera can be more sophisticated. It also shoots RAW. I do believe, however, that there is more gimmicky stuff than there needs to be.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Camera has very good value and excellent lens quality. Company provides very good video guides too. But a somewhat long learning curve to understand all the capabilities.

Panasonic author review by ConsumerAffairs

Making everything from industrial business solutions to consumer electronics, Panasonic is a company designed to meet consumer needs worldwide.

• Lumix cameras: Lumix cameras are the basic line of Panasonic cameras. Specific models vary from standard digital cameras to more complex DSLR systems.

• Instant help: When perusing the Panasonic website, consumers are contacted by Panasonic to help answer questions or make purchase decisions.

• Lumix Tough cameras: The Lumix Tough camera is designed for users with active lifestyles. This camera is waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and dustproof for use in extreme conditions.

• 4K video and photo function: Some Lumix cameras, like the Panasonic Lumix G7, are capable of 4K resolution. This allows for picture and video with extremely high definition image quality. The camera uses three 4K photo modes: 4K Burst, which captures photos continuously; 4K Burst Start/Stop, which records 4K video and allows the user to pause at any point and save an image; and 4K Pre-Burst, which initiates a video sequence before the 4K Burst photo sequence and gives the user even more images to view.

• Image app: The Panasonic Image app allows users to control various functions of the Lumix G7 with their smartphones or tablets. This app also lets users immediately upload their photos and videos to social media directly from their mobile device.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team