Olympus

Compare Camera Brands

Research top Camera Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My daughter had this camera for about 1 month when she tripped down some stairs and hit the ground very hard with the camera wrapped around her wrist. Both her and the camera sustained some damage. We decided to test the camera in the water and the seal failed which then caused the camera to fail. I contacted Olympus and told them the story. They instructed me to fill out the online form then send the camera to them with the receipt and warranty card. I couldn't locate the warranty card so they said it wasn't necessary as long as I have the original receipt. I sent the camera July 18th and a few days later I was able to view the repair status online.

A few days later the camera was out of repair and then being sent back to me. This camera was very special to my daughter and we weren't sure if they were actually going to repair it under warranty since it was obviously damaged by her fall. I'm happy to report that they not only repaired the camera, but also replaced all the damaged/scuffed outside parts as well. The camera looks as new as the day we bought it and my daughter and I couldn't be any happier. Thank you Olympus!!!

I was so glad of purchasing a Tough camera that indeed survived few drops as promised. But as the flipping screen malfunctioned after 6 months, and the camera was promptly sent in for repair, it appeared that the warranty had been violated because the camera had been "fixed before by an unauthorized person", and asked for €100 for the repair. Useless to say that this is a lie and I did not have it fixed before. However, it is my word against theirs, now the camera had been opened and I cannot do anything but pay the repair for a factory defect. Therefore, I suggest not to buy this camera if you're not ready to pay for any type of repair because the warranty will be of course not valid.

While attempting to order online during Olympus' Black Friday Sale, we encountered numerous site issues relating to their shopping cart and ordering their Black Friday Bundle. We had pricing issues (changes in prices once in the cart), quantity changes after items were already in the cart, and even inability to select the item advertised as the 'bundle'. Called Customer Service and they were on holiday (Thanksgiving). Submitted an email. Business hours (per voice mail message) indicated they were open on Friday. Called on Friday - voice mail indicated we should call back during normal business hours Mon-Friday. No mention of being closed on Black Friday. We attempted to order multiple times throughout the weekend, encountering numerous issues. At last we thought we had cracked the code and placed the order only to learn it was NOT the 'deal' advertised.

Sent another email asking to cancel that order and/or to change the order as there was NO OPTION TO EDIT/CHANGE ORDER on the site. Saturday we received a text indicating our order had shipped! Called this a.m. Monday and spoke with Customer Service to explain the issues. They referred me to the Orders department and they found the person who received my emails and I was told she would address the issue and respond. I did receive an email from her while I was on the phone with the first rep. I hung up and replied to the email, explaining in detail the issues with the site and our desire to correct the order. The rep responded by listing all the things I had done wrong (1. sent multiple emails, 2. sent an email directly to her vs. to the generic 'Orders' email address, 3. had called customer service as well as had emailed).

She did apologize for the issues and agreed to ship the missing item from the bundle, but stated that this was not normal policy and they were making an exception due to the issues I had had. My complaint is that I didn't feel like I should have been chastised for making attempts to rectify the issue prior to the incorrect items being shipped. I think their concern should have been the website and the issues on the site creating such a bad experience for customers. Even today I attempted to go back to the site to purchase accessory items, but the site is still not functioning properly so I had to give up. As a first-time Olympus customer, I have to say they should spend more time addressing the User Experience issues on their website and training their Order Department Reps to focus on how to improve ordering instead of instructing customers on how to lessen their workload or to be less annoying.

There are real issues on their website that have to be costing them business. If those were resolved, customers wouldn't have to also deal with the other obvious issue of dealing with their Orders or Customer Service department. I still need accessories, but will look for a 3rd party provider. Lost sales for sure. Not a way to run a business. If you're going to run a web business, you have to have someone man the store - even on holidays and especially on Black Friday if you're going to offer Black Friday Deals.

We used an Olympus Stylus tough camera in our production facility for a number of years. Having served its purpose well, we purchased another, newer model of the same camera. The stylus Tough t-610. This camera literally sat in the original packaging in our server room for a year after purchase. When the older camera finally died, we took out the new camera and immediately the shutter would not work. Being that it was in our possession for over a year the warranty was not honored and the company is being charged an additional $100 for repairs on a camera that should have worked out of the box. I'm really really glad I didn't purchase a higher end model, I would have been livid if I had spent more than $1000 on something that isn't guaranteed to work out of the box.

I spoke to a customer service supervisor on May 29, 2015 regarding an order I placed on May 26th, 2015. The website stated that my item would be shipped the week of May 24th but when I called on the 29th to check the status, I was told that it would be another 5 to 7 business days before my item would ship due to system problems at the warehouse. Had I not called, I would have not known about the huge delay in shipping. The supervisor was completely unhelpful and showed no interest in my frustration that their website was misleading. She did nothing to help other than to ask if I wanted to cancel my order.

When I asked her to please express my frustration over being misled by the shipping statements made on the website to her boss or someone who could take action, I was pretty much blown off by her uninvolved and monotone reply of "uhm, ok," which made me believe she had no concern for me as her customer whatsoever. It seems to me that if a business is aware of a situation that will cause shipping delays like this, it should disclose that to its customers who are affected. I love their cameras but this may very well be the last one I buy. I don't like to spend my money where I'm treated as if I'm disposable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Olympus?

I am so delighted with the excellent Customer Service from Olympus Europe. I cannot fault them. I was lucky enough to have received the OMD EM1 for Christmas last year. After using it for about 9 months I was having trouble with the focus. I phoned Olympus and without any argument, they arranged to have the camera and the lens I use most often, collected by DHL. They had the camera three days. They sent a full report and camera and lens were sent back to me free of charge and fully repaired.

There are many excellent features on the EM1 and yes, there are a lot of knobs and whistles. I have mastered the day to day art of taking photographs, but there are many features that I couldn't get the hang of. Again, I contacted Olympus to find out if they had any agents in the area who might be able to show how to use such things as Live Time, Time Lapse and Overlay. Within TWO DAYS I have received a call from one of their agents who is meeting with me locally and will give me instruction free of charge. Excellent. As the old saying goes, 'you only get what you pay for.' Yes, the EM1 is reasonably expensive, but it is a fantastic camera and Olympus service is second to none. I am delighted and would recommend them to everyone.

As many on this site have indicated this is not a tough camera or a waterproof one. Unfortunately Olympus does not stand by its products. My Olympus camera was sent back 2 times within the first year for repair because it would not charge. The second time it was sent back by the technician who claimed there was nothing wrong and no repair was necessary. It still wouldn't charge so I purchased new batteries and charger. Nothing worked. Recently, I sent it back again and was told that it could not be repaired because of all the corrosion. What? Why didn't they note the corrosion on the previous repair request? Perhaps because they didn't want to honor the warranty. They offered me a 20% coupon toward the purchase of another Olympus camera. I asked them if they could give me a 20% coupon off the purchase of a Nikon camera or Canon because there is no way I would ever purchase their inferior product which comes with equally inferior customer service again. They turned down my request.

I've been attempting to install the firmware for Windows 8. It does not work. I paid a lot of money for this camera and now I can't use it just because I have an upgraded computer. I tried Olympus updates and reinstalling the software. I shouldn't need to pay for a new camera only because I upgraded my computer. This software should be made to work on any Windows or Mac system, regardless the version. I want a solution for my issue. Not a solution that will cost me any money. This is done only to benefit this billion-dollar company into making more money at the cost of people like me who are near poverty level.

Unfortunately, I have not received from your department any reply. This is so sad. I am truly disappointed with your NO reply policy and of course with the product which I have bought. After receiving back my repaired Olympus OM-D E-M5, I have used it for 16 days and suddenly the problem again. The screen does not work and now there is an additional problem. The screen has no stuck well. Yes! I bought a 1000 euro camera and I can see inside its body because the screen which you have replace at the first problem is not stuck well. I have spent about 2000 euros (because I bought 2 additionally lens) and my camera is on Olympus service department. I have no camera. I want you to replace my camera with a NEW one. I bought a new camera one month ago and it is for a second time at the service department. I expect an official reply.

I purchased an olympus stylus sl50, and the first time I tried to charge it was difficult as the charging port was not a snug fit - but instead poor contact and wobbly. When I contacted the camera shop, I was told it would take 6-8 wks. When I spoke to a tech supervisor at olympus, they said I should mail it to them and I need to pay the postage. No doubt they would determine that the problem was my fault and want to charge me as much as a new camera for the repair.

They are a terrible company. I wish I had checked before buying olympus. I previously had a cannon and had no problems until I dropped it. Do not buy olympus - read the rest of the reviews. It seems their policy is the same on all cameras.

I own the EPL1 and had the camera locking up on a few occasions when changing the zoom on the 150 mm lens. Only a reboot (turn off & on) would get it operational until the next zoom in or out requiring another boot. Had it repaired with no hassle at nine months old and under warranty, but when the same problem resurfaced at twenty two months old, I had to do some real talking being six months off the repair warranty. I managed to convince Olympus that the problem was in the camera from purchase, not my fault, and I refused to pay the $160. Finally allowed to talk to a tech, diagnosed it as a probable contact problem between camera body and zoom lens and got it repaired free w/six month warranty. Told to use it often in that period and don't pamper the zoom. Two months and no problems so far. Pleased with Olympus, fingers crossed, four months warranty left. We'll see. Great camera otherwise.

My Olympus zoom 4.2.52.5mm 1.3.0.5.9 won't turn on. It zooms in and out, beeps 3 times and doze off.

I bought an Olympus Sp-570UZ in 2008. It has been a good camera other than the pop-up flash spring breaking last year. After doing research, I decided that it would be less expensive to repair my camera than buy a new one. I called Olympus and they assured me that the repair turnaround would be 10-15 days. Since I am leaving for Hawaii this Saturday, that was important! I'm writing this review to let everyone know not to trust the 10-15 day turnaround time. I paid the $142.85 online repair quote on March 13th and mailed in my camera. Olympus received it on March 17th, but didn't enter it into their system until March 19th. When I hadn't received my camera back by April 7th, I called them and found out that they hadn't even started the repair because they were waiting for my payment that I had made via a credit card on March 13th! They assured me that my repair would be expedited. I called them today, April 14th, and found out that even though the camera got out of repair on April 9th, that they hadn't mailed it yet! They assured me I would have it by Friday! If you send in a repair, call them every few weeks to check the status and don't trust the 10-15 day turnaround quote!

Olympus vr320 camera is about 2 years old. I installed Olympus Digital Camera Updater at the instruction of Olympus. After using it, without interruption and to completion camera will not turn on. Appears to have corrupted firmware. Called Olympus support and they agree. Tell me to send in to repair. Get a quote. $80.17 to fix something they caused and shipping is extra. No thanks. I will buy another camera, NOT Olympus. This was not my first Olympus, but it will be my last.

Olympus TG-610 - I purchased this camera 1 year and 45 days ago. I was swimming with the manatee in Florida and it opened up under water on the first day of the trip. Since it was over the 1 year warranty, they wanted to charge $90 for the repair and only give the camera a 6-month warranty after that. I might as well buy a new one for that price since it's just a matter of time before it opens again (and I have no intention of throwing good money after bad). Please do not order this camera if you are taking it under water in spite of its description or you may not have any pictures of your trip.

If you read this before you purchase an Olympus digital camera, you will benefit from reading it. The warranty on my Stylus 7030 camera remains a question because, like other complaints about Olympus Warranty service, you can expect a long, long, long wait. Each time you call, the voice at the other end will repeat the same script: "I don't have any update information but it will be repaired shortly." Note that the turn around time published by this company does not match reality. They are understaffed and are taking no steps to correct their problem. So if you buy Olympus and need warranty repair, be warned. It will take a long time before you will get service. I hope this helps you. This is my second but last Olympus camera.

I purchased my Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 waterproof camera in February 2011 for summer vacations because I thought it was a well recognized brand when it came to underwater quality. In August of 2012, I took it to the pool and apparently, I forgot to switch the seal tab to the lock position. Because unlike regular cameras or other waterproof cameras which only have one lock position, this one can be easily closed and locked, but if you forget to, on top of that, switch the lock to lock position, it won't seal enough and water will go in. (In my opinion, it's a horrible seal.) I placed it underwater for 10 seconds to take a picture and next thing I knew, it shut off.

When I tried turning it on, the screen went black and the lens stayed opened, and it has been like that for the past weeks, with no reaction to the on/off button or to any charges. The battery is completely new and is not even wet. After the incident, I opened the battery seal and it had two drops inside which I quickly dried with the hair drier but nothing happened. I contacted Olympus and they told me I had to send it in and if I had warranty, they wouldn't charge me anything, but if I didn't, they would let me know the costs of repair. Since I wasn't losing anything, I sent it to them and as soon as they received it, they sent me an email letting me know that the repair was going to be $140.

Mind you that the camera brand new cost me $199. They didn't tell me what was wrong and I still think that is too much money when I can get a brand new camera with full warranty for around the same price of their repair. I feel completely disappointed with Olympus, and I didn't do an extended warranty because I didn't think a waterproof camera would break because of water. It turns out it broke a few months after the warranty expired and now I have to get a new one. Although I am 100% sure it will definitely not be Olympus, I'd rather spend a few more dollars and get some other brand.

My camera short-circuited during vacation and almost caused a fire on the bed. I sent for repair (almost cost of new camera!) and when used again (after the six months warranty for repair) on vacation in Tahiti, leakage was immediate. I returned to Olympus, but they replied the camera would have had to come in for seal replacement after six months. I explained I only use camera for underwater on holidays as I have a DSLR; therefore, camera was not used until this holiday. They would do nothing for me. I'm very unhappy with Olympus and would not buy their product again.

I have purchased an Olympus camera VG-120, around 6 months back from Harsha Station Road, Hubli, and phone number: 08362269204. I am totally not satisfied with the camera, as the picture quality is very bad and the image come blurred. So, kindly replace my camera to some Olympus brand. I have so much faith in your brand and company.

SD slot will not release the card - I phoned customer support. The camera was not under warranty. I was told to send it in to Olympus repair for a quote to fix it. This is a known stylus issue. They sent me a quote of $180 to remove the card with no guarantee that this would not happen again if I installed another card. I told them to send me the camera back as I could buy another cheaper camera than their repair and shipping. Worst customer support I have ever had. This is the last Olympus camera for me. Junk camera and terrible customer support.

My Stylus Tough 6020 (purchased in February 2011) somehow became flooded while using it in a shallow pool (seems to be a common problem with these cameras). I called the service department, got a repair number, and shipped the camera in as instructed. USPS tracking says it arrived at their facility on December 16.

A month and a half later the repair still isn't showing up in their online system and I can't get anyone to respond to me and let me know what's going on with my camera. Three emails got no response. Finally, my fourth email got a response asking for my name and repair number, information which was clearly written further down in the email chain. Five days later, still no response. This is the worst customer service I have ever received from a company. I will never buy an Olympus again.

After researching water-proof cameras, I bought the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. The Olympus website shows it's water-proof to 33 feet. After I purchased the camera, the manual states it's only water-proof if I send it in at least every 12 months to an authorized Olympus service center. The cost would be postage there and return with FedEx or UPS and the cost for replacing the rubber seals which the company told me is $59.95! This comes to close to $100 every 12 months and no camera while it sits waiting its turn to get new seals.

I then asked if I could replace the seals myself, and I told them I understand this would cancel the warranty. They replied with no and that they will not let me do it myself. They refused to sell me the seal kit and seem to think this is all right. In fact, Olympus won't sell any parts for their Stylus Tough cameras.

I say this is false advertising and then highway robbery as nothing anywhere in the advertising of all of the Stylus Tough cameras gives accurate info. It included more then 8 different models in their line-up plus many last year's models and older units. So now, I am stuck with a camera that is not waterproof, and I am not very happy with this company's attitude of "So what? We have your money, so live with the camera."

All I can say is anyone thinking about a water-proof camera, do not buy it from Olympus Cameras. Olympus just doesn't stand behind its products and customers, if I pay $100 a year for new seals and shipping! Olympus only warrants it for 6 months, and if 7 months after the new seals, it leaks. You lose.

In June 2004, I purchased an Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom camera for $349.99, a 4-year contract for repair for $59.99, a 512 XD picture card for $179.99 and a charger for $33.99 from Best Buy in North Attleboro, RI. At the time I purchased the warranty, I was told that it covered any type of damage. I asked specifically, if it covered for anything breaking from a fall. I named a lot of scenarios because I usually do not like to purchase this coverage because I am leery about the fine print stating something is not covered. This is exactly what happened. I am a very careful person with my belongings and am very careful not to even accidentally damage anything of mine or others. I still have this camera although I cannot use it and it is in a very good shape.

Two things happened, one is regarding this camera and the other is Best Buy. My son dropped the camera by accident and the battery door wouldn't close right. This was the only problem I had. I brought it to Best Buy and they sent it out to be repaired since I did have the warranty. I do not remember the year. It was between 2005 and 2007. The first problem I had was, they would not cover the repair and said that I would have to pay for it. The cost was really high and I declined. They stated that it wasn't covered. I explained to them that the sales representative must have spoken in error about the coverage. They would not concede.

The second problem was my camera was returned without the picture card. I had hundreds of pictures that had not been downloaded or developed. My daughter was in modeling and horseback riding. I had many pertinent pictures of her. I was totally devastated that the card was gone. They said they would call the company where they sent the camera for repair. I received no response from them and I had to call a couple of times before someone finally checked with that company. A week later, I was told that my card was nowhere to be found. The pictures were much more valuable than the camera or the picture card. Please, if there is anything you can do, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your time.

I bought an Olympus camera FE-4030 Slim wide 4x zoom in July. In August, I was in Bali on holiday when suddenly, on day 23, the camera broke down. I was still able to take photos, but no images appeared on the screen, so they were 'blind' photos. Returning to Italy, I brought it to the shop where I had bought it (after all it had a two-year warranty and I had bought it less than two months before.) To my surprise, I was asked €20 for the mail expenses, but that was not the only and worst surprise which was expecting me. Two months later, the camera was sent back because it was impossible to repair it. Some photos had been sent together with the useless camera, showing as it was rusted here and there.

I am 100% sure that it didn't fall into the water, neither it was washed somehow. Certainly, when you are on a beach, maybe taking a photo, it is quite possible that a drop of water reaches your precious camera. Anyway, if Olympus produces cameras that can be ruined by a single drop of water, they should at least inform their clients. Or better, they should start producing something else. Good quality indeed.

A few years back, I bought an Olympus C-740 camera for which I paid $300. I worked hard to get this money. About a year ago, I purchased a one megabite memory chip to increase the number of pictures that I could take without changing the memory chip. It would not work in the camera. It was an Olympus chip and there was no warning that it would not work in certain cameras. I called the tech support for the U.S. and they told me that I could only use a 512 megabyte card which were no longer available.

In other words, I was a loser all the way around. I threw $300 down the drain for nothing. I am going to trash this camera and I will never buy another Olympus product again. I would advise anyone else considering Olympus to think twice if they want future improvements because there are none with Olympus. Sony would be a much better investment.

I sent my camera to Olympus Via Argos to be repaired, because it was turning itself off during use. However once it had been sent, Olympus asked for $40 to repair the screen which was not broken when it was sent off and when I refused, they asked me to fax a copy of my receipt via Argos and they would repair it for free.

I received it back yesterday but have found that they have not repaired it and the screen is also severely damaged to the extent that I cannot see anything other than cracks and blurs.

My girlfriend is celebrating our first anniversary and decided to celebrate it with one of the best beaches here in the Philippines - Boracay. In preparation to document our whole trip, we bought an Olympus T6020 digital camera. The features are good and exactly what we needed for our vacation: tough, water proof up to 5 m or 16 feet, shock proof and all. We are greatly satisfied when we used it when we had our snorkeling activity but to our dismay, the camera broke down when we had our helmet dive which is actually 7 feet deep. Well, we expect that the camera can handle it since the seller and the feature says it is 16 feet. Now we will try to return the camera to the place where we bought it and try if we can have it exchanged. Is it our fault?

We purchased a Olympus digital camera for my daughter for Christmas in '09. We found one at Walmart on sale on September 09, so we purchased it and put it the safe until Christmas. When she opened it and turned it on the screen, had a black fuzzy line through it, then it went black and will not come on. We took it back to Walmart, they said we had to sent it to Olympus so we did, they contacted us and said we broke it and had to pay to fix it, we took it from the store, to the safe, wrapped it, she opened it, turned it on, and it had had the line in the screen, then went black. If wrapping it, putting it in a safe, and unwrapping it damaged it, they need to make a better product. I spent $148 with tax for the camera, $10 for the warranty that Walmart won't stand by, and $15 to ship it to Olympus.

My Oylmpus SP-350 was a nice camera that worked fine for almost two years. It stopped working properly, so I followed the directions from the Olympus web site, packed it in a box, and shipped to the Cypress repair facility. Three days later I get an email telling me that they have my broken camera. So far, so good. Three months pass, no response. I called them and was told they need authorization and $106.00 to repair my camera. I asked them why have they not contacted me, and was told they sent me another email. Not!

Let’s see, a new, way better camera, with more MP and with a new three warranty would cost me around $130.00. I told the customer service person I was not interested in spending $106 to repair a three-year old outdated camera that failed for no good reason. I asked the Olympus customer service person if they offered any rebates or upgrade programs to buy a new camera. I was told yes, and given several models with "discounted" prices based on my broken camera to be used as a trade-in.

A quick price check on the internet, and every "discounted" price Olympus quoted me was at least five to ten dollars more than every other store's regular price. The Olympus employee told me that their trade-in "discounted" prices were set by the company. What a scam! I will never buy another Olympus camera ever again. Pretty sad that Olympus does not get it. Pretty frustrating. Be warned, people. I know, if I allowed them to keep my broken camera, it would be fixed and resold by Olympus as a refurb. When they return my broken Olympus camera, I plan to smash it on the street in front of my house. Olympus, you don't get it, do you?

The FE-20 camera I purchased from Radio Shack in Norcross has terrible shutter speed. I reported this to their support and they told me to reset the camera which did not affect anything. They offered me an upgrade for $94.00 if I sent my old camera in. This is laughable because they told me the retail value is $100.00. It does not appear that Olympus cares whether the camera is satisfactory or not. End of story. I will now have to buy a camera that is satisfactory and be stuck with one that is not that I paid over $100 for.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in Tokyo in 1920, Olympus has become a global technology leader with its line of medical products, scientific solutions and cameras.

• OM-D system: Olympus OM-D cameras use mirrorless technology to reduce size and weight and open its design to new technologies like greater axis stabilizations and an electronic viewfinder with an in-depth heads-up display.
  • AIR A01: The AIR A01 lens-style camera is compatible with the user’s IOS or Android smartphone. These cameras can be augmented with attachable lenses for increased control and customizability options.
  • Olympus Tough: The Tough line of Olympus cameras are rugged cameras designed to take a bit of a damage. These cameras are shockproof, waterproof and weatherproof for users who photograph in extreme conditions.
  • Lens bundles: Olympus has bundles available for consumers who buy both cameras and lenses together. Because these deals are attached to high-end cameras, they are most useful for avid photographers looking to upgrade their current camera.
  • Olympus PEN: Olympus PEN cameras blend classic, retro design with modern technology. Various customizable options like body jackets, leather straps, lens covers and grips are available to fit the user’s sense of style.
  • Best for Olympus cameras are best for people who photograph in extreme environments or street photographers who desire a retro style.

Compare Camera Brands