3.27/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Olympus

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Olympus Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2019

Buyer beware!! I purchased an Olympus top of the line digital camera in 2009, the E-3. Their best of the best, tough, water resistant, flagship camera; it cost me $1680.00. Over the years I would use it once in a while, but mostly it would sit in a Pelican 1600 case, in my closet. A few weeks ago I brought it out, charged the batteries and started using it for a project and I got dust on the inside mirrors and the camera would not remove the dust particle with its vibration mechanism. So I started to take the camera apart and then stopped and decided to send it in for professional attention. THEY REFUSED TO SERVICE IT!!! I begged and pleaded to no avail. This camera had less than 100 hours of use.

In addition to the camera I also purchased over $6000.00 worth of lenses. All lost, worthless because their lenses will not adapt to other type's of camera's. SO BUYER BEWARE, OLYMPUS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES. I do not work for Canon or Nikon, however if you are thinking about purchasing a digital camera, stay away from Olympus.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was given OMD EM10 Mark II for a Christmas gift. First I noticed a pixel out on the screen and then my screen started shorting out just after the warranty period. Now I am expected to send it in for repairs. $600 for a camera that didn’t even make it a year and a half without issues. Also, I have ordered three times from their website. Once without a coupon and twice with a coupon. Both of my coupons were from rewards I earned. Both times I ordered with a coupon I received a confirmation email and then the following day I received an email telling me my order was canceled and I need to reorder. However when I go to reorder my code no longer works.

Both times they told me I entered wrong credit card information or that it was my bank. My bank tells me that Olympus preauthorized my card and then subsequently canceled it. Olympus keeps telling me it is my fault. It seems their standard response is that the card was entered wrong or with the wrong expiration date or my bank wouldn’t accept the charge. If you enter the wrong card information anywhere the order won’t be processed but they can’t explain to me why I got a confirmation email with all of the correct information. I am so upset with my experiences with this company that I will be switching camera companies. I have been an Olympus user for 15 years. Not anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Purchased Tough series camera for general use. It worked great for a few vacations but froze one month out of warranty. Paid $100+ for factory repair and was able to take 10 pictures when it powered down and only has blinking self timer light which will not go off unless battery is removed. Tech support is worthless and suggested I send it back for repair at my cost, another $100+ plus shipping. This company sucks, I'll be buying a Fuji for half the price. Had I known of their attitude and lack of after support I could have saved a lot of money. Warning, do not purchase a Tough series!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I really like my Olympus OM-D EM-5 MK II. It is a well-built camera that has weather sealing so it operates in wet and cold weather. The images are stellar. If you get it right in camera very little post-processing necessary. But I wish the WiFi was better. Plenty of in camera filters too. But overall this is a great travel camera. The body is nicely balanced and feels good in the hand. The quality shows in this camera and when used with Pro level lenses this camera really shines. Nice removable flash that has useful adjustments for bouncing light off ceilings or walls as well.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Sometime ago I decided to try micro four thirds mirrorless cameras and my choice was Olympus OM-D EM-5. I considered Olympus as a big brand that you can rely on. I got the camera which was brilliant until I started experience some operational problems like freezing issue, camera was resetting itself during shoot, focus problems and other stuff. The camera was under the manufacturer warranty and Olympus was trying to rectify those problems. The problem was that those issues either was not solved or returned camera had new faults which obviously required to send the camera back to the repair shop.

Over the last 2 years I sent the same camera to the repair shop around 8 times and guess what it still on the shelf awaiting another collection. For the last repair I had to pay a bill as the camera was out of warranty already. It's worth to mention the last repair was the ongoing issue that has not been fixed at previous times. It was explained to Olympus but the bill had to be paid. I lost any faith that the camera will ever be repaired.

I want to pass this message to people who think switching to Olympus micro four thirds cameras as I was once. Be aware about it. Roughly speaking I spent a day of my life wasted liaising with Olympus and posting the camera back and forth. I lost a count of the days I was without my camera over the years. I use this camera recreationally and I can't imagine professionals using Olympus products/services when they have to rely on their photo equipment. I do not think I should write about the overall experience when you want to enjoy photography but instead most of the time you're trying to resolve issues with your camera.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Olympus?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have had my Olympus Model SP720UZ for quite some time now and think it is fabulous. It is a breeze to use with almost all the trick gadgets built in to give the end product a semi-professional result. This camera has been through a lot from Ocean mist on cruises to snow blizzard conditions to Death Valley heat. I would strongly recommend the Olympus product and I know I will replace this one with another.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Purchased an Olympus EM-5 Mirrorless camera, day after purchase come up with a connection error, called Olympus tech Support, without even asking if I had a warranty wanted to charge me to get it repaired, $600 spend on a this camera, it appears to have many defects based on later internet research, it appears that most of their OMD systems develop defects within the first 3 to 6 months of use, this combined with a VERY poor product support makes for a money pit!!! Not worth my hard earned cash. As a professional photographer, I also shoot with and currently own Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Lumix and Sony, cameras have not had a problem to date… wanted to try an Olympus WOW!!! What a disappointment. They appear to be on a class of its own... way at the bottom of the barrel!!! Never again!!! Purchase smart, look for REAL cameras, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Lumix and Sony.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I have Olympus VG-160 camera. It is a decent camera for the prize. Lately, the ib software of the camera in my computer has been compromised possibly by computer virus. First, a few weeks earlier, I was unable to download video from the video file of the camera to YouTube anymore. Then yesterday the camera failed to download pictures and videos from the camera to my computer after connecting with an USB cable when it should start to download automatically. When I tried to open the iB software of the camera on my computer, the logo appeared for a second then disappeared and the software did not run at all. The same problems persist today. I don't want to download the camera software again from my camera software disk because I'm afraid that all my picture and video files will be deleted during the download.

I check the Olympus site for software update or download but I found that Olympus does not offer any software support for the VG-160 camera at all. Now my Olympus camera VG-160 has become a piece of junk unless I find out my software disc to re-download the software to my computer while having all my video and pictures deleted during the process. I will never buy another Olympus camera again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I really like the camera and it's easy to use. The quality is great and it takes good pics. It has a big screen on the back, the color of pics are clean and vibrant and has a good size picture button. I got it cause it took multi pics in a second although I haven't figured that out yet as it didn't come with a handbook. This camera means a lot to me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

My Olympus (I'm have three) is wonderful, attractive and easily used. The quality of each of my Olympus cameras is unsurpassed. Each is compact with great features, among these are interchangeable lens, quickly and easily changed for a variety of photography situations. The Pen EPL2 fits into a small space, such as a purse, for an on-the-go photo op, and the SP-565UZ takes slightly more space but still handy to take. The E-520, with extra lens, is most versatile, but somewhat heavy for me. The Image quality is superb, with clarity of color and no blur. The camera is also easily handled with control points (focus, etc.) placed for efficiency. All in all, my Olympus is invaluable.

Olympus expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in Tokyo in 1920, Olympus has become a global technology leader with its line of medical products, scientific solutions and cameras.

• OM-D system: Olympus OM-D cameras use mirrorless technology to reduce size and weight and open its design to new technologies like greater axis stabilizations and an electronic viewfinder with an in-depth heads-up display.

• AIR A01: The AIR A01 lens-style camera is compatible with the user’s IOS or Android smartphone. These cameras can be augmented with attachable lenses for increased control and customizability options.

• Olympus Tough: The Tough line of Olympus cameras are rugged cameras designed to take a bit of a damage. These cameras are shockproof, waterproof and weatherproof for users who photograph in extreme conditions.

• Lens bundles: Olympus has bundles available for consumers who buy both cameras and lenses together. Because these deals are attached to high-end cameras, they are most useful for avid photographers looking to upgrade their current camera.

• Olympus PEN: Olympus PEN cameras blend classic, retro design with modern technology. Various customizable options like body jackets, leather straps, lens covers and grips are available to fit the user’s sense of style.

• Best for: Olympus cameras are best for people who photograph in extreme environments or street photographers who desire a retro style.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs