Olympus

Compare Camera Brands

Research top Camera Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It's the best digital camera I've used. There are probably newer models but I would definitely recommend. The one I have is underwater so you can take cool pictures of sea life or at pool parties. Also if you're clumsy like me and drop it, it has a high resistance to breaking. It definitely has a very high value. I'm pretty sure it's also freeze proof which is cool because it won't freeze if you go somewhere cold or if you live somewhere that's frequently cold. These features are super, super useful in the age of technology where everyone's gotta post their adventures. Very, very satisfied with the durability. Shock proof will help resist against damage if you break it. Water proof will help resist against water if you drop it in water or if you are just swimming with it.

It's super easy to work and the pictures are professional looking and I will recommend this to others. Keep up the good work and looking forward the future. It was affordable and quality of the pictures it takes remarkable for what you pay for it. You definitely get your money worth and pure enjoyment. It has a easy setting button and it's pretty much self-explanatory. No hassles. Different frames color options variety of things you can do. It is heavy duty and the case I have is indestructible and no matter how tough I am towards it, it seems to last forever. Love it and suggested that you select what suits you.

I love it and would recommend it to my friends and family if they wanted to buy a camera. The zoom was good as well as the images. the upload is smooth and fast, and software was incredible. It's a good buy for your buck and you can find the parts you need almost anywhere you look. But some other cameras you can't find that are somewhat interchangeable with other parts from the same name brand, with good value and price. I drop it, threw it, smashed but it seems to always bounce back from a beating. And it's somewhat waterproof, but don't try it though. I suggests you go out and get one today.

Very excellent quality high resolution and the pictures turned out amazing. The customers were very happy with the pictures I took for them as well and I still use the camera for pictures for my kids. I upgraded and bought specialty zoom and a few filters and have editing programs on my computer but the work speaks for itself. It's hard to put a value on a camera. You find one that is right for you and it is priceless, but most professionals use this brand and I can see why. Worth every penny. The features of the camera offer professional grade photos even to those who don't have experience. Just get use to having it with you at all times and you will have your camera experience and be ready for that extraordinary photo op. I keep mine clean but usually you can find a camera shop around if you don't know what you are doing. Always read the manual and take care of your equipment because there is money in their photography.

I have the Olympus PEN. The camera uses several lenses. Great picture quality and compact as well. The camera can be used for digiscoping. Look it up on YouTube. It's really cool. I have a scope that I hooked up to it with an adapter and it's amazing. I love this camera for its size and versatility.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Olympus?

This camera is great for beginners as it is very easy to use. It also takes super clear and crisp pictures. The battery life lasted a long time as well. This is a great buy because it's affordable without cutting the quality. This camera has many features to offer many different users. Mine camera had. Even going strong ever since I got it. Love the features of this camera. Comes with features that are actually usable and something you would want to use to increase the quality. I'm not super hard on my cameras but this one seems to be holding up just fine. I've had cameras break on me but this one is holding up well.

Great pictures, fantastic focus. Overall great experience. I would highly recommend anyone to use these cameras for family pictures or nature pictures or whatever kind of pictures you want to take. Couldn't possibly get a better camera for the price or the quality of pictures you will be taking. These cameras are very convenient and easy to carry around, very quick to access, easy to replace the film and very high quality pictures. I have dropped mine quite a few times with no negative effects and still able to take great pictures with it. I have been very pleased with all of the pictures that I have taken with it thus far.

The camera is still in great working condition and I have taken it everywhere in the past year... hiking, beach trips, you name it. It has high quality pictures with excellent use of colors and definition. Advanced technology makes it easy to upload pictures and share on social media. I was able to share my photos quickly and I loved the quality. It was a great choice for my family. My daughter also used it often. A little expensive for what I used it for but the pictures came out great.

The camera is easy to use and produces good quality pictures. The colors and the image are very sharp exactly as in the real world. Still as good as the first time I used it. This shows the camera to be of good quality. The Olympus camera is reasonably priced as compared to other camera on the market. I believe it to the best camera for its price on the market. The Olympus has many features that are used when making pictures and video. You get to select between modes for where the pictures are taken. The camera works great to just set the mode and allow it to auto adjust. To set your own preferences often helps to improve picture quality. My 4 year old camera offers more adjustment options than a friend's 2 year old comparative priced camera.

From my research the new Olympus offers features for pictures and video that are outstanding. I look forward to buying a new Olympus camera. My Olympus camera has been used to take pictures at home and on 6 trips. I plan to keep the older camera due do its quality. Outside of replacing the battery, I believe that the camera will work great for many more years.

It is easily handled, compact. It takes clear and vibrant photos. It's digital. It was bought at Amazon at a very good price. You can zoom and download pictures. It was very affordable and has a very good warranty. It is strong and durable. It will Pop in and out.

The Olympus camera I used years ago took great photos. After some time, it eventually stopped working and now I just stick with my cell phone camera. Got a good deal in the camera years ago. Seemed to be worth what I paid although I can't remember exactly what I spent. I would buy it again for its value. This was a simple point and shoot automatic camera. Not one of the fancy expensive DSLR ones that are popular now. The lack of confusing features was what I liked most about it, as I am not a photographer. I was surprised that it stopped working after about a year. I didn't use it all that much, and it sat in its case in a closet most of the time. It was never dropped or exposed to any extreme temperatures or weather.

Easy to use, no need to be a professional to take professional looking photos. Great at reducing red eye and easy focusing. It was a moderately priced camera. Affordable to people living on a budget. Professional camera for a budget price. Cheap accessories. Good value. You don't have to take a class to take pictures that look great in any light. You can just read the manual and point and click. Then you have professional looking pictures. I've dropped the camera accidentally a few times and it's durable enough to need only one repair. It can hold up to a few drops. Not sure about getting it wet. Just keep it out the pool.

Changes lens is quick. It's a perfect size and light weight. Looks nice. It fits in several types of camera cases. Comes with a booklet that has been very helpful for me. After reading the owner's manual, I found more features than I even knew about. I bought this camera may be too advanced for my daughter to use. She loves photography. This camera offers many features that are easy to use. This camera is versatile. The size allows for easy transport. It slips into a backpack, purse or diaper bag. It's easy to handle. Delivers quality pictures. The camera is built sturdy. There is not much that break. The lens are protected by easy to remove covers. It's labeled well so using it is easy.

It took clear pictures and videos. I could also take a snapshot of a frame in a video. It worked very well for my needs until the dog chewed the cable and I couldn't find another one to buy. Because it took videos as well as pictures and could take a snapshot of a frame in the video it exceeded my expectations. It is a high quality product that I would still be using had I been able to find another cable. The videos didn't jump around no matter what I was doing. I was very satisfied with my camera. It was well made and durable. I dropped it more than once and it still worked great.

It produces clear pictures and it never malfunctions. I've had my digital camera for quite a while and I've honestly never had a problem with it. The camera came with a memory card and a case that I still use. It was a great value, especially because it looks like it was made to last. It has wonderful picture settings, great light functions, a base for a tripod, a protector for the lens. It is just packed with features. It's banged around and been dropped from a short distance and it still works just as if it had just come out of the box. Especially for a digital camera it was definitely made to last.

It is clear, not shaky. Zoom is awesome and I am very happy with the battery life. Colors are beautiful and sharp. Printing is easy. I would recommend it for sure. It is worth money. Cheap cameras, in the long run, will not last as well and your pictures will not be as great. Quality over penny pinching. I love the playback feature and motion blur control. It is steady and has many filters and accessories. The case is nice too. I have dropped mine so many times and nothing has broken. The lens can take a beating whether from clumsiness or mother nature. Three thumbs up.

It took very clear pictures... it was easy to use... and I like digital over actual film. I was able to do a panorama shot. The color was true. I liked that it was compact. The only thing I didn't like was that I could not attach it to my phone to download pictures to Facebook, etc. It is an older camera. I believe it to be worth around $30 used. It probably cost $200 originally...I don't remember. It fits well in my pocket, and is lightweight. If I lost it, I would be disappointed because I can't afford to buy something new.

It takes telephoto pictures... It has 8x zoom. It can do wide pictures. If you hold your finger on the shutter button, it will take a quick series of around 10 pictures, then you can choose which one is best. It has daytime, nighttime, portrait's outside, inside modes. This camera has been dropped several times from at least two feet. It got scratched but did not break. It has sit in the sun in the car and has been in the cold while skiing. Didn't affect it. It's nice that it does not accidentally take a picture. It has a slide over front in it that opens when you turn it on.

It allows you to capture great images and good quality, has good features and easy to use. I would definitely recommended to all my friends. The camera is a good value for the money. I considered to be good quality and it is less expensive than other cameras available on the market. It is very useful. I love the filters that it has. I haven't had any problems with the camera, it is very durable and would last for a long time if use with care and caution. I don't see any problem with it.

It performed to my liking and was easy to figure out. The only thing I thought could be improved was the flash and night time options as well as a better zoom. I think for the price you pay you get a decent camera. I wasn't looking for anything too fancy because it was for work only so it got its job done. If you're looking for just a simple everyday camera the features on it are good. I do wish it was easier to upload the photos onto the computer or straight to the internet like some cameras. I've had it climbing on roofs and laying in my truck and so far it hasn't broken so it seems to be a lasting camera as long as you take care of it.

You should definitely try this product because I use to use Polaroid and Kodak and I came to realize that the quality of Olympus is superb. A lot of cameras can be very pricey those days and also range from all different amounts. This camera fits everyone's budget! People question how long cameras life span is. Now let me tell you...KODAKS NEVER LAST!! But if you do want a camera that will last years and the company won't change the technology every second then this camera was made especially for you. The zoom, the pixels, the weight, the durability, the accessories are all wonderful sold at a very reasonable price.

I purchased an Olympus Pen E-PL6 during the President's Day sale in February 2016 from the Olympus factory store. The camera was a refurbished model with 90 day warranty. The camera was wonderful and met all my needs. I even purchased accessories for the camera as I expected to have this camera for a very long time. Just prior to the camera being six months old the camera stopped working. I would hit the power button, the camera would come on, the back display would go blank then the camera would shut down after approximately 30 seconds.

I emailed and called customer support and was told the cost to repair would be $147.00. I only paid $205 for the camera, including the lens. I refused to pay for the repair. I wrote a letter to Olympus customer service but never received any form of response from them. My recommendation is to avoid Olympus factory refurbished items as they are unreliable and the company will provide no support after the meager 90 day warranty.

The camera that I owned takes good pictures. It is slow to focus though, but quality is good. Compared to other brands I have used in the past this one exceeds other brand's quality and performance. I think that this camera is comparable to all other cameras today when it comes to value. The competition is very tight so all prices are close to the same. It just depends on what you want out of your camera. There could be a lot more options on the camera. I have a nicer Nikon camera that has a lot more options and setting. It definitely helps me take better pictures and get quality shots. I have dropped the camera multiple times and have not had any breaks or problems. I am glad to see technology getting more durable with the newer models.

Was really good camera just the older version. The newer version is easier to use. The older version "the one I had" was not as fast but gave a great resolution. It was chargeable and has a 1GB memory. The value compared to the price was fair. Not great but better than the price of other cameras. It is affordable. High resolution. High performance. Low battery life. Good internal memory. Good quality lasting age. And a really good finishing material. I think this camera is definitely durable because I used it for years. It was the best brand I ever bought. I recommend it to all my family. A good value.

Traveled with a compact that rivaled fellow travelers using a more complex camera... zoomed in, capturing detail without blur, from faces to mountain tops... Mexico art, indigenous people, to the masters in Italy, and capturing the magic of castles that Disney himself recreated. For a small camera, the value is big. Travels well, just slip in a pocket... SD cards transferred to a laptop. Pictures enlarge well. Able to capture the moment without the bulkiness of the larger cameras while giving many features found in them.

The features are easy to use and you are able to adapt to many different photo opts while enjoying sights. Capturing those special pics clearly while traveling through the countryside peering through the window of a fast moving train makes it an invaluable traveling companion. If one setting does not measure up, quickly can change to another. It holds up well from purse, pocket and hiking. Don't recommend you drop it but can handle most falls. Years of use and many countries later it started to show some wear.

Took quality photos, no problem with it, good resolution. Photos look great after printing, used photos for Christmas cards and also framed a few, have one on my desk even. All in all, I am happy all around with the camera. I am not a professional photographer, so I was looking for a quality camera at a decent price for family and nature photos without having to spend a lot. I am very satisfied with my camera, very good results for a fair price. The zoom, flash, red eye features are all excellent. Those are mainly the only ones I need/have used as I am not a professional photographer, but they provided exactly what I needed. Durability was one thing I read product reviews for, as I am not always real careful. True to form, I have dropped it plenty, with no problems other than a little scuff on the corner. But functionally, no problems have resulted.

I like to take a wonderful pic with my family and friends. I use it when my son get married. Everybody asked me about it. I let them take a few pictures. The camera very good and the price not bad if you want to have a great camera and you still use it for many years and you give it to your kids. If you want a good camera and a good price you will feel better about it. If you don't have this camera you will miss a great deal. I recommended this camera to everyone who like to take a good pictures for the family.

I found the camera to have a very good response time, so I never miss a shot. Captured what I wanted perfectly, every time in terms of color. I never even feel the need to adjust the settings. The memories I captured are worth the price, which was around one hundred and twenty dollars. It definitely works way better than the Kodak I was using before that I had paid a similar amount for. The face recognition features really help me win my shot perfectly. The auto flash helps me when I forget that just because I can see doesn't mean I did not need a flash. I've dropped it a few times and it still works fine. I'm not sure if that means it's rather durable or I am just lucky, but it's survived me and that's all I can ask for.

My daughter had this camera for about 1 month when she tripped down some stairs and hit the ground very hard with the camera wrapped around her wrist. Both her and the camera sustained some damage. We decided to test the camera in the water and the seal failed which then caused the camera to fail. I contacted Olympus and told them the story. They instructed me to fill out the online form then send the camera to them with the receipt and warranty card. I couldn't locate the warranty card so they said it wasn't necessary as long as I have the original receipt. I sent the camera July 18th and a few days later I was able to view the repair status online.

A few days later the camera was out of repair and then being sent back to me. This camera was very special to my daughter and we weren't sure if they were actually going to repair it under warranty since it was obviously damaged by her fall. I'm happy to report that they not only repaired the camera, but also replaced all the damaged/scuffed outside parts as well. The camera looks as new as the day we bought it and my daughter and I couldn't be any happier. Thank you Olympus!!!

I was so glad of purchasing a Tough camera that indeed survived few drops as promised. But as the flipping screen malfunctioned after 6 months, and the camera was promptly sent in for repair, it appeared that the warranty had been violated because the camera had been "fixed before by an unauthorized person", and asked for €100 for the repair. Useless to say that this is a lie and I did not have it fixed before. However, it is my word against theirs, now the camera had been opened and I cannot do anything but pay the repair for a factory defect. Therefore, I suggest not to buy this camera if you're not ready to pay for any type of repair because the warranty will be of course not valid.

While attempting to order online during Olympus' Black Friday Sale, we encountered numerous site issues relating to their shopping cart and ordering their Black Friday Bundle. We had pricing issues (changes in prices once in the cart), quantity changes after items were already in the cart, and even inability to select the item advertised as the 'bundle'. Called Customer Service and they were on holiday (Thanksgiving). Submitted an email. Business hours (per voice mail message) indicated they were open on Friday. Called on Friday - voice mail indicated we should call back during normal business hours Mon-Friday. No mention of being closed on Black Friday. We attempted to order multiple times throughout the weekend, encountering numerous issues. At last we thought we had cracked the code and placed the order only to learn it was NOT the 'deal' advertised.

Sent another email asking to cancel that order and/or to change the order as there was NO OPTION TO EDIT/CHANGE ORDER on the site. Saturday we received a text indicating our order had shipped! Called this a.m. Monday and spoke with Customer Service to explain the issues. They referred me to the Orders department and they found the person who received my emails and I was told she would address the issue and respond. I did receive an email from her while I was on the phone with the first rep. I hung up and replied to the email, explaining in detail the issues with the site and our desire to correct the order. The rep responded by listing all the things I had done wrong (1. sent multiple emails, 2. sent an email directly to her vs. to the generic 'Orders' email address, 3. had called customer service as well as had emailed).

She did apologize for the issues and agreed to ship the missing item from the bundle, but stated that this was not normal policy and they were making an exception due to the issues I had had. My complaint is that I didn't feel like I should have been chastised for making attempts to rectify the issue prior to the incorrect items being shipped. I think their concern should have been the website and the issues on the site creating such a bad experience for customers. Even today I attempted to go back to the site to purchase accessory items, but the site is still not functioning properly so I had to give up. As a first-time Olympus customer, I have to say they should spend more time addressing the User Experience issues on their website and training their Order Department Reps to focus on how to improve ordering instead of instructing customers on how to lessen their workload or to be less annoying.

There are real issues on their website that have to be costing them business. If those were resolved, customers wouldn't have to also deal with the other obvious issue of dealing with their Orders or Customer Service department. I still need accessories, but will look for a 3rd party provider. Lost sales for sure. Not a way to run a business. If you're going to run a web business, you have to have someone man the store - even on holidays and especially on Black Friday if you're going to offer Black Friday Deals.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in Tokyo in 1920, Olympus has become a global technology leader with its line of medical products, scientific solutions and cameras.

• OM-D system: Olympus OM-D cameras use mirrorless technology to reduce size and weight and open its design to new technologies like greater axis stabilizations and an electronic viewfinder with an in-depth heads-up display.
  • AIR A01: The AIR A01 lens-style camera is compatible with the user’s IOS or Android smartphone. These cameras can be augmented with attachable lenses for increased control and customizability options.
  • Olympus Tough: The Tough line of Olympus cameras are rugged cameras designed to take a bit of a damage. These cameras are shockproof, waterproof and weatherproof for users who photograph in extreme conditions.
  • Lens bundles: Olympus has bundles available for consumers who buy both cameras and lenses together. Because these deals are attached to high-end cameras, they are most useful for avid photographers looking to upgrade their current camera.
  • Olympus PEN: Olympus PEN cameras blend classic, retro design with modern technology. Various customizable options like body jackets, leather straps, lens covers and grips are available to fit the user’s sense of style.
  • Best for Olympus cameras are best for people who photograph in extreme environments or street photographers who desire a retro style.

Compare Camera Brands