3.95/5
  • 1 star
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 18, 2017

92 Olympus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have had my Olympus Model SP720UZ for quite some time now and think it is fabulous. It is a breeze to use with almost all the trick gadgets built in to give the end product a semi-professional result. This camera has been through a lot from Ocean mist on cruises to snow blizzard conditions to Death Valley heat. I would strongly recommend the Olympus product and I know I will replace this one with another.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Purchased an Olympus EM-5 Mirrorless camera, day after purchase come up with a connection error, called Olympus tech Support, without even asking if I had a warranty wanted to charge me to get it repaired, $600 spend on a this camera, it appears to have many defects based on later internet research, it appears that most of their OMD systems develop defects within the first 3 to 6 months of use, this combined with a VERY poor product support makes for a money pit!!! Not worth my hard earned cash. As a professional photographer, I also shoot with and currently own Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Lumix and Sony, cameras have not had a problem to date… wanted to try an Olympus WOW!!! What a disappointment. They appear to be on a class of its own... way at the bottom of the barrel!!! Never again!!! Purchase smart, look for REAL cameras, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Lumix and Sony.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 27, 2017

I have Olympus VG-160 camera. It is a decent camera for the prize. Lately, the ib software of the camera in my computer has been compromised possibly by computer virus. First, a few weeks earlier, I was unable to download video from the video file of the camera to YouTube anymore. Then yesterday the camera failed to download pictures and videos from the camera to my computer after connecting with an USB cable when it should start to download automatically. When I tried to open the iB software of the camera on my computer, the logo appeared for a second then disappeared and the software did not run at all. The same problems persist today. I don't want to download the camera software again from my camera software disk because I'm afraid that all my picture and video files will be deleted during the download.

I check the Olympus site for software update or download but I found that Olympus does not offer any software support for the VG-160 camera at all. Now my Olympus camera VG-160 has become a piece of junk unless I find out my software disc to re-download the software to my computer while having all my video and pictures deleted during the process. I will never buy another Olympus camera again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have an average looking point-and-shoot camera on steroids with a good quality feel but not too heavy. It's call the Olympus "Tough" camera and it is just that. It is shock proof from 7 feet and waterproof to 35 feet. Right off you notice it has back screen and a label that says IHS 5X ZOOM AND 10XSR ZOOM AND WIDE OPTICAL ZOOM. It is remarkably easy to use with many functions. All functions are easy to get to and are laid out on the screen. Most picture taking done in two modes and a good video mode. Image quality has remarkable clarity and color. Best yet the camera fits in my pants pocket or shirt pocket. Overall this is the best camera I've ever had because it is so tough, portable and does everything my SLR did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I really like the camera and it's easy to use. The quality is great and it takes good pics. It has a big screen on the back, the color of pics are clean and vibrant and has a good size picture button. I got it cause it took multi pics in a second although I haven't figured that out yet as it didn't come with a handbook. This camera means a lot to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Olympus?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

My Olympus (I'm have three) is wonderful, attractive and easily used. The quality of each of my Olympus cameras is unsurpassed. Each is compact with great features, among these are interchangeable lens, quickly and easily changed for a variety of photography situations. The Pen EPL2 fits into a small space, such as a purse, for an on-the-go photo op, and the SP-565UZ takes slightly more space but still handy to take. The E-520, with extra lens, is most versatile, but somewhat heavy for me. The Image quality is superb, with clarity of color and no blur. The camera is also easily handled with control points (focus, etc.) placed for efficiency. All in all, my Olympus is invaluable.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Olympus is totally easy to use and the fact that 99% of the time I get a quality image makes it even better. People who have used it have loved all the features on this camera. Its layout and features are easy to manipulate which make a big difference when trying to get that perfect photo and the functionality makes it a top notch camera to buy. Best in price for all the functionality and the performance is top notch. We compared multiple brands and priced everything out and out of everything out there this was the best camera I have ever used or owned. Also, you can not ask for a more durable cameras. There have been a few times it was dropped and it kept working like a pro. Plus with children they can get a little crazy and want to touch it but I never had an issue.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Olympus is a great company and their camera takes great pictures. They have good prices, great warranty, and good customer service. I will always recommend it. The value after the product is a great one. Everything is great on the camera. I use all of its features so nothing will stop... pics all day every day. I dropped it a lot and only scratches and no other issues with it so the camera is great and strong. The best I had so far in my life... so it's what I love.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I am an aspiring photographer and this brand is perfect for beginners as well as seasoned professionals. It's amazing machine from day one. Easy to set up, use, and maintain. I am very satisfied with this purchase. Great cameras will never be cheap. If you're looking for a good product that will always perform at one hundred percent and will take astonishing photos, you have to make an investment. This camera was pricey but the value is nothing compared to its performance. This camera has amazing features. Everything you want to take excellent photos and capture priceless memories. I was amazed at the amount of customization features were available on this camera. Incredibly durable. Not that anyone should be testing an expensive camera's durability, but accidents do happen, and in this case the camera can withstand a lot. I am highly satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I really enjoyed using this camera. It was very easy to figure out how to use and it had great picture quality. The other thing that I liked about this camera is that there were many different options to take pictures so that you could find the right setting to get the best quality picture for what you were taking a picture of. For example you could choose to take a picture of something outdoors, something indoors, something at night or something in action. The various settings help you to get the best quality of picture. There are steps settings for In Motion Pictures such as if you would like to get a picture of your child playing sports and you would like it to be clear. Usually what you find is that when you try to take a picture of something in motion it ends up being blurry but that is not the case with this camera.

For the quality of the product the price was very good. It is going to be expensive because it is a digital camera and they all are pretty expensive if you would like to buy a good one however it does compare very well in value to other cameras that are the same price and it is my opinion that the quality exceeds the others in its same price range.

I believe that this camera is very durable. I have two young children in my home who typically like to play around with the camera. My older daughter likes to try to take pictures on her own and believe me this camera has been dropped many times as well as chewed on by my toddler and it is still in good condition. So with all of that in mind I would say that this camera is extremely durable.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

The Olympus camera performed better than expected. The focus was right on and there were enough mode settings to cover everything. I never had a problem with my Olympus. The Olympus camera was a great value. It came with a large storage capacity and several options above what I needed. Its large storage capacity is great for taking many pictures without filling up quickly. Also, it was water resistant, which helped when it rained. Moreover, the Olympus I purchased was in a very durable housing. I dropped it several times without any issues. It is still lasting till this day.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

It took good pictures and it was so easy to use a small child could have used it. The controls were very well placed and very intuitive. For instance, the shutter control button is placed so that it can be activated by any size hands. The camera is so easy to load film into as well. The autofocus worked like magic. Moreover, the camera seems to be very well built using extremely high quality parts. The fit was very tight on all the parts and the finish seemed to be extremely durable. It is so nice to know that I have a good and reliable camera that I can use to take good pictures if and when I might ever need to.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

The camera is very useful for photographing mother nature. It captures all the details that you are trying to capture and it allowed me to take pictures like never before at a low, affordable price. The price allows anyone to take the pictures they have always wanted to take. I would totally recommend this. Removable lens, variable zoom, soft, easy to use - these features allowed a very efficient and enjoyable time of capturing all of the beautiful elements of nature. I dropped it at least 409 times, and it still survived. The only time I had an issue was when I dropped it off my patio, and the lens cracked. :/ But it's okay, it came with a replacement lens!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

It's the best digital camera I've used. There are probably newer models but I would definitely recommend. The one I have is underwater so you can take cool pictures of sea life or at pool parties. Also if you're clumsy like me and drop it, it has a high resistance to breaking. It definitely has a very high value. I'm pretty sure it's also freeze proof which is cool because it won't freeze if you go somewhere cold or if you live somewhere that's frequently cold. These features are super, super useful in the age of technology where everyone's gotta post their adventures. Very, very satisfied with the durability. Shock proof will help resist against damage if you break it. Water proof will help resist against water if you drop it in water or if you are just swimming with it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

It's super easy to work and the pictures are professional looking and I will recommend this to others. Keep up the good work and looking forward the future. It was affordable and quality of the pictures it takes remarkable for what you pay for it. You definitely get your money worth and pure enjoyment. It has a easy setting button and it's pretty much self-explanatory. No hassles. Different frames color options variety of things you can do. It is heavy duty and the case I have is indestructible and no matter how tough I am towards it, it seems to last forever. Love it and suggested that you select what suits you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I love it and would recommend it to my friends and family if they wanted to buy a camera. The zoom was good as well as the images. the upload is smooth and fast, and software was incredible. It's a good buy for your buck and you can find the parts you need almost anywhere you look. But some other cameras you can't find that are somewhat interchangeable with other parts from the same name brand, with good value and price. I drop it, threw it, smashed but it seems to always bounce back from a beating. And it's somewhat waterproof, but don't try it though. I suggests you go out and get one today.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Have had my camera for 3 years by now, it has survived being dropped in a back pack and still works. It has also been dropped a few times as well and still works. It has good features and did the job for what I need. The buttons are easy to use and find, and the lenses capture pictures really well. The timer button actually works and can capture the picture so you can be in it and not just be behind the camera. Easy to use, charge and transport. It also has a good battery life, lots of memory card and storage. The perceived value 60 dollars is a good bargain. It is easy to look up customer reviews for the camera, also easy to look up discounts and other makes by the brand.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

The camera was very easy to use. It had auto focus, auto flash, zoom and many other features. Auto focus and flash managed the clarity of your photos. It also had different settings for close up, far away and even moving or action photos. You can just point and click to take amazing photos. If you did not like them, the photos could be edited right on camera. I have owned and used my camera for about 15 years. It still takes wonderful pictures even though it is considered to be outdated by normal camera standards these days. It was a bit more expensive than some of the other brands, but after using it, it was well worth the additional cost.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Very excellent quality high resolution and the pictures turned out amazing. The customers were very happy with the pictures I took for them as well and I still use the camera for pictures for my kids. I upgraded and bought specialty zoom and a few filters and have editing programs on my computer but the work speaks for itself. It's hard to put a value on a camera. You find one that is right for you and it is priceless, but most professionals use this brand and I can see why. Worth every penny. The features of the camera offer professional grade photos even to those who don't have experience. Just get use to having it with you at all times and you will have your camera experience and be ready for that extraordinary photo op. I keep mine clean but usually you can find a camera shop around if you don't know what you are doing. Always read the manual and take care of your equipment because there is money in their photography.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I have the Olympus PEN. The camera uses several lenses. Great picture quality and compact as well. The camera can be used for digiscoping. Look it up on YouTube. It's really cool. I have a scope that I hooked up to it with an adapter and it's amazing. I love this camera for its size and versatility.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This camera is great for beginners as it is very easy to use. It also takes super clear and crisp pictures. The battery life lasted a long time as well. This is a great buy because it's affordable without cutting the quality. This camera has many features to offer many different users. Mine camera had. Even going strong ever since I got it. Love the features of this camera. Comes with features that are actually usable and something you would want to use to increase the quality. I'm not super hard on my cameras but this one seems to be holding up just fine. I've had cameras break on me but this one is holding up well.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Great pictures, fantastic focus. Overall great experience. I would highly recommend anyone to use these cameras for family pictures or nature pictures or whatever kind of pictures you want to take. Couldn't possibly get a better camera for the price or the quality of pictures you will be taking. These cameras are very convenient and easy to carry around, very quick to access, easy to replace the film and very high quality pictures. I have dropped mine quite a few times with no negative effects and still able to take great pictures with it. I have been very pleased with all of the pictures that I have taken with it thus far.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

The camera is simply yet elegant. The zoom shows the detail of every picture taken. It worked perfectly, the picture came out beautifully. The camera was easy to use and my mother loved it. It's easy for her with her arthritis and she uses it on every vacation. It's also very durable and the battery is long lasting. The wrist bracelet attach to it makes easier to carry. There should be a necklace for quicker way to take pictures, instead of the wrist bracelet. Also, it could have came with a brighter flash and a power cord to charge it. The screen could be a touch screen with the zoom in focus and with the multiple face recognition too.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

The camera is still in great working condition and I have taken it everywhere in the past year... hiking, beach trips, you name it. It has high quality pictures with excellent use of colors and definition. Advanced technology makes it easy to upload pictures and share on social media. I was able to share my photos quickly and I loved the quality. It was a great choice for my family. My daughter also used it often. A little expensive for what I used it for but the pictures came out great.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

The camera is easy to use and produces good quality pictures. The colors and the image are very sharp exactly as in the real world. Still as good as the first time I used it. This shows the camera to be of good quality. The Olympus camera is reasonably priced as compared to other camera on the market. I believe it to the best camera for its price on the market. The Olympus has many features that are used when making pictures and video. You get to select between modes for where the pictures are taken. The camera works great to just set the mode and allow it to auto adjust. To set your own preferences often helps to improve picture quality. My 4 year old camera offers more adjustment options than a friend's 2 year old comparative priced camera.

From my research the new Olympus offers features for pictures and video that are outstanding. I look forward to buying a new Olympus camera. My Olympus camera has been used to take pictures at home and on 6 trips. I plan to keep the older camera due do its quality. Outside of replacing the battery, I believe that the camera will work great for many more years.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

It is easily handled, compact. It takes clear and vibrant photos. It's digital. It was bought at Amazon at a very good price. You can zoom and download pictures. It was very affordable and has a very good warranty. It is strong and durable. It will Pop in and out.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

The Olympus camera I used years ago took great photos. After some time, it eventually stopped working and now I just stick with my cell phone camera. Got a good deal in the camera years ago. Seemed to be worth what I paid although I can't remember exactly what I spent. I would buy it again for its value. This was a simple point and shoot automatic camera. Not one of the fancy expensive DSLR ones that are popular now. The lack of confusing features was what I liked most about it, as I am not a photographer. I was surprised that it stopped working after about a year. I didn't use it all that much, and it sat in its case in a closet most of the time. It was never dropped or exposed to any extreme temperatures or weather.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Easy to use, no need to be a professional to take professional looking photos. Great at reducing red eye and easy focusing. It was a moderately priced camera. Affordable to people living on a budget. Professional camera for a budget price. Cheap accessories. Good value. You don't have to take a class to take pictures that look great in any light. You can just read the manual and point and click. Then you have professional looking pictures. I've dropped the camera accidentally a few times and it's durable enough to need only one repair. It can hold up to a few drops. Not sure about getting it wet. Just keep it out the pool.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Changes lens is quick. It's a perfect size and light weight. Looks nice. It fits in several types of camera cases. Comes with a booklet that has been very helpful for me. After reading the owner's manual, I found more features than I even knew about. I bought this camera may be too advanced for my daughter to use. She loves photography. This camera offers many features that are easy to use. This camera is versatile. The size allows for easy transport. It slips into a backpack, purse or diaper bag. It's easy to handle. Delivers quality pictures. The camera is built sturdy. There is not much that break. The lens are protected by easy to remove covers. It's labeled well so using it is easy.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

It took clear pictures and videos. I could also take a snapshot of a frame in a video. It worked very well for my needs until the dog chewed the cable and I couldn't find another one to buy. Because it took videos as well as pictures and could take a snapshot of a frame in the video it exceeded my expectations. It is a high quality product that I would still be using had I been able to find another cable. The videos didn't jump around no matter what I was doing. I was very satisfied with my camera. It was well made and durable. I dropped it more than once and it still worked great.

Olympus expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in Tokyo in 1920, Olympus has become a global technology leader with its line of medical products, scientific solutions and cameras.

• OM-D system: Olympus OM-D cameras use mirrorless technology to reduce size and weight and open its design to new technologies like greater axis stabilizations and an electronic viewfinder with an in-depth heads-up display.

• AIR A01: The AIR A01 lens-style camera is compatible with the user’s IOS or Android smartphone. These cameras can be augmented with attachable lenses for increased control and customizability options.

• Olympus Tough: The Tough line of Olympus cameras are rugged cameras designed to take a bit of a damage. These cameras are shockproof, waterproof and weatherproof for users who photograph in extreme conditions.

• Lens bundles: Olympus has bundles available for consumers who buy both cameras and lenses together. Because these deals are attached to high-end cameras, they are most useful for avid photographers looking to upgrade their current camera.

• Olympus PEN: Olympus PEN cameras blend classic, retro design with modern technology. Various customizable options like body jackets, leather straps, lens covers and grips are available to fit the user’s sense of style.

• Best for: Olympus cameras are best for people who photograph in extreme environments or street photographers who desire a retro style.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs