Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5

Nikon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

Original review: July 24, 2020

Three years ago I purchased a Nikon lens from a reputable camera shop in Dubai, where I was temporarily living. The lens stopped focusing automatically after about 2 years. I tried having it serviced in a camera shop in the US but they could not address the issue and told me to send it to Nikon. I spoke with Nikon customer service on the phone and followed their directions to send it in. They even checked my model and serial number first to be sure they could service it and the rep on the phone confirmed they could.

Once they received it they said they would not service it because they classified it as “grey market items sold in the US”. I sent them my proof of purchase showing it was not bought in the US, as well as my warranty but they would not respond to any of those emails despite trying to contact them 3 times. They simply sent it back without a word. Now I have a $400 lens that I used on 3 trips that I can do nothing with.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Prior to my retirement I purchased camera bodies and lenses, some to use immediately, some for retirement. The bodies and lenses for retirement have been sitting new in the box for several years. Always kept in a cool and dry place in my home. Well, the time is near for retirement and took out my gear; D2X, D2H and D3S. The affected lens was Nikon 28-70 f2.8. I had four new in the box EN-EL4a batteries for the listed bodies. I tried to charge them and found they would not charge. They would merely attempt to charge with the 50% light blinking, then all the light would start flashing. I attempted to calibrate them however, to no avail. Because of Covid-19 Nikon Service Center is closed so I emailed their support. I was told try having a third party camera store look at them because Nikon no longer services them. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed as I spent over $500 for those batteries and never used them.

I think Nikon products (cameras) have always had a problem with being stored and not used for a period of time. Years back I had the first D100, which sat for a while (6 months) and would not power up. Fortunately the battery charged but the body gave an error message. I had to take it to their service center and it was repaired in a day or so. Now the lens issue. In dealing with the above I had two old EN-El4 batteries that worked. While trying on the AF-S Nikon AF 28-70 1:2.8 I found it would not focus. The autofocus would get stuck in the area of 3-5 meters. This was a brand new lens, never used and did not work. In conducting online searches for causes of not autofocusing I found a Youtube video that described the exact same symptoms.

Since Nikon told me they no longer service the gear I have I decided to do the repair myself, at great risk. It turned out the problem was a circuit board was held in place by two sided tape, which lost its stickiness and the board was loose. This caused the brushes for the focus sensor to hit the board and stick there. I found some carpenter's two sided tape for carpets and it held it perfectly. The lens works perfectly now. They used two sided tape on a $1600 lens, really? All of this really made me re-think my investment in Nikon gear. The lack of support for the large investment I made in their products. The poor support of their products. I have gear from other companies that work all the time under any circumstances. I will stay with them. I find it funny in thinking I cannot comment on the other companies' product support. I never have to contact them 'cause their products always work.

Get buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Ordered a camera package for upgrade before Christmas for a gift for a trip in February. Checked in every two weeks after not receiving package. Kept getting told on back order, now after 75 plus days they tell us they are cancelling order because products in package are no longer available. We then checked website again and both items are listed independently as available. WAS a loyal customer for 20 plus years, no longer am.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I sent back a $269.99 dollar rifle scope and was sent back $149.99 scope. I talked Shawn C. He was absolutely worthless. I spent over three hours working on this situation. I would STAY AWAY from Nikon products.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

After about a year my D3300 would stop working as soon as I put an sd card in the slot. I tried multiple cards, same problem. I took it to a local shop and said for me to ship it to Nikon. After shipping the unit and explaining what the issue was, they informed me the cost of repair would exceed what a new camera body would cost. I inquired what the issue was, and they told me they did not look at the camera but went on what I reported. I asked why I needed to send the camera in if they were not going to look at it. The ending is, I am disappointed with Nikon. I do not feel they have the customers best interests in mind. Several letters went back and forth where they offered me refurbished cameras that actually exceeded what a new camera would cost. There are lots of alternatives out there and after many years of using Nikons I will be choosing them.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I will never again recommend Nikon for anything. I have a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarch ATBs. They have been in for service 4 different times and always come back with the same issue. I have spent over $80.00 in the last 4 years paying to ship these pieces of junk back in for service. They state they are fixed and send them back with the same focus problem. This last time I was excited as they stated they where to expense to fix and where sending new binoculars. 2 days later my old ones show up not working again.... Call customer service, wait on hold for over an hour and get told it was a mistake and they would not be replaced.... and to send them in again. What a joke. LIFETIME OF ISSUES IS THEIR WARRANTY....

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought a Nikon Buckmaster II 4-12x40 riflescope. Lost windage and elevation knob caps. Called Nikon for replacement caps. One month later haven’t received anything. No emails no notifications. Give customer service a call to see where the order is at. They tell me that there are none in stock and will ship out when available. Okay that’s fine. Called 2 weeks later to see if anything has happened. Still nothing. At this point I don’t believe I will ever receive a replacement cap. I didn’t believe anyone at the big box chain store I bought my scope from when they said NIKON CUSTOMERS SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!! NOW I DO! I will not be buying any more product from them! Great product but horrible service!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I bought the Nikon Coolpix W300 who should have been waterproof until 30 meters. The first time I went diving, water got inside. After the 1st repair I was really careful but still, the second time water came in again. And the warranty was over for only 1 month and the CS told me that the camera was broken and they can't do anything. So I bought a GoPro and I'll never ever going to bought a nikon again. This is the worst brand and customer service I know.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have had the Monarch 5 8x42 Binos for 4 years now and use them relatively seldom (twice a month) for birding and game-viewing within South Africa. These have a 10 year warranty. Everything has been working fantastically for the past 4 years up until the eye relief on one side was stuck and wouldn't turn up. It always gets stored in its pouch and in a dry cupboard upon return. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They phoned back with the reply "It will not be covered by warranty as the eye-piece is not part of the binoculars, and you need to pay ~R700 to replaced the one eyepiece." Is this a joke? How is the eyepiece not PART OF THE BINOCULARS?? We are at the start of our careers which cameras, binos and co. are integral to. You have lost a lifelong customer, and we will have no qualms with dissuading colleagues from supporting you. Despicable job Nikon. Your warranties are laughable and I am severely unimpressed.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Purchased a D700, $480. One year and a few months later it stopped working due to "power board" problem. Sent it to the Nikon Los Angeles repair station for repair. I was charged $120. The checklist did not indicate the ability to charge the camera was checked. Six weeks later I took a couple of pictures. The camera stopped working due to low battery. I tried to charge the battery but it is impossible to do so. The camera is useless, defective and obviously not repairable. Nikon sells bad products and will not stand behind them, beware.

Nikon author review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.

• DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.

• Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.

• Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.

• Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team