Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

Nikon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I recently bought a Nikon camera. I’m not sure if the exact type it is but I bought it used for $100. It’s my first camera but I’ve looked at lots of reviews on YouTube and figured this would be the best one for me within my budget. It turned out to be a good decision. The picture quality is great. The manual controls are limited but they do enough for what I need as an amateur photographer. All in all the Nikon brand is worth the money in my opinion. One more thing, I took a zoom photo of the moon and it was amazingly detailed. I’d recommend this camera to anyone who would like to learn about photography and is new to the hobby or profession.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I have a Nikon Coolpix that delivers great pictures all the time. The small 8 megapixel camera fits in the palm of the hand, easily carried in a pocket or purse, stays with me wherever I go. Both indoor and outdoor pictures have always turned out great and fact that I can transfer pics from the camera to my computer is a plus. I have printed enlarged pictures that can be used for publicity of a group or activity and the color is fantastic. I would not trade my camera for anything else right now.

Get buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

My favorite for point and shoot models. Have had three over the last ten years plus and top ends are as good as many SLRs or mirrorless cameras. Great features and resolution in pocket sized, small packages!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

This manufacturer of cameras is top notch. The model tested was chock full of features....more than can be mentioned in this short review. The quality of the camera was also top notch and beyond compare. This model was probably one of the finest cameras I have ever used. Would definitely recommend this manufacturer....

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Very good camera. The lens is very precise and takes great pictures. Very easy to handle and scratch proof. Has a great case to protect the camera and is easy to maintain. User friendly and very easy to hold.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I have had this camera for years, but I don't use it much now that I have a smartphone. It does make clearer pictures than a smartphone and is easy to charge and download pictures. Close ups are a bonus. It has had trouble with the shutter closing--maybe there is a residue buildup.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Compact design, various zooming techniques, manual settings, instant playback, quick reviews, easy access to deleting unwanted photos, protective covering of viewing screen, pop-up flash, pocket size, inexpensive product on the market.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Three years ago I purchased a Nikon lens from a reputable camera shop in Dubai, where I was temporarily living. The lens stopped focusing automatically after about 2 years. I tried having it serviced in a camera shop in the US but they could not address the issue and told me to send it to Nikon. I spoke with Nikon customer service on the phone and followed their directions to send it in. They even checked my model and serial number first to be sure they could service it and the rep on the phone confirmed they could.

Once they received it they said they would not service it because they classified it as “grey market items sold in the US”. I sent them my proof of purchase showing it was not bought in the US, as well as my warranty but they would not respond to any of those emails despite trying to contact them 3 times. They simply sent it back without a word. Now I have a $400 lens that I used on 3 trips that I can do nothing with.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Prior to my retirement I purchased camera bodies and lenses, some to use immediately, some for retirement. The bodies and lenses for retirement have been sitting new in the box for several years. Always kept in a cool and dry place in my home. Well, the time is near for retirement and took out my gear; D2X, D2H and D3S. The affected lens was Nikon 28-70 f2.8. I had four new in the box EN-EL4a batteries for the listed bodies. I tried to charge them and found they would not charge. They would merely attempt to charge with the 50% light blinking, then all the light would start flashing. I attempted to calibrate them however, to no avail. Because of Covid-19 Nikon Service Center is closed so I emailed their support. I was told try having a third party camera store look at them because Nikon no longer services them. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed as I spent over $500 for those batteries and never used them.

I think Nikon products (cameras) have always had a problem with being stored and not used for a period of time. Years back I had the first D100, which sat for a while (6 months) and would not power up. Fortunately the battery charged but the body gave an error message. I had to take it to their service center and it was repaired in a day or so. Now the lens issue. In dealing with the above I had two old EN-El4 batteries that worked. While trying on the AF-S Nikon AF 28-70 1:2.8 I found it would not focus. The autofocus would get stuck in the area of 3-5 meters. This was a brand new lens, never used and did not work. In conducting online searches for causes of not autofocusing I found a Youtube video that described the exact same symptoms.

Since Nikon told me they no longer service the gear I have I decided to do the repair myself, at great risk. It turned out the problem was a circuit board was held in place by two sided tape, which lost its stickiness and the board was loose. This caused the brushes for the focus sensor to hit the board and stick there. I found some carpenter's two sided tape for carpets and it held it perfectly. The lens works perfectly now. They used two sided tape on a $1600 lens, really? All of this really made me re-think my investment in Nikon gear. The lack of support for the large investment I made in their products. The poor support of their products. I have gear from other companies that work all the time under any circumstances. I will stay with them. I find it funny in thinking I cannot comment on the other companies' product support. I never have to contact them 'cause their products always work.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Ordered a camera package for upgrade before Christmas for a gift for a trip in February. Checked in every two weeks after not receiving package. Kept getting told on back order, now after 75 plus days they tell us they are cancelling order because products in package are no longer available. We then checked website again and both items are listed independently as available. WAS a loyal customer for 20 plus years, no longer am.

Nikon author review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.

• DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.

• Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.

• Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.

• Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team