Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.10/5

Nikon Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have had the Monarch 7 10x42 Binos of a few years and took to Montana, Idaho, Oregon and twice to Alaska. The glass is in great shape but the Eye relief on both side was stuck and wouldn't turn up or down. One of the eyecups was missing as well. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They replaced the eyecup and both eye relief pieces for no charge. It took one week and I got it back. The Binos are in almost as "good as new" condition!! Great job Nikon!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Great camera with superior lens. At first it was difficult to use due to the fact I was new to photography but as I have gotten better at it it is easy. I actually dropped it once without any damage.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have several Nikons. Best is D90. Does everything I need plus video. The only limit to say less than 5 minutes. I can hook it up to my DVD burner and record on to it with sound or create a slideshow of pictures with music to it from the camera. I have the P900. Meh, does great shot of the moon in broad daylight with the 300 mm lens. P900 is not NTSC. I can hook it up but no sound. Sucks.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I sent back a $269.99 dollar rifle scope and was sent back $149.99 scope. I talked Shawn **. He was absolutely worthless. I spent over three hours working on this situation. I would STAY AWAY from Nikon products.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

After about a year my D3300 would stop working as soon as I put an sd card in the slot. I tried multiple cards, same problem. I took it to a local shop and said for me to ship it to Nikon. After shipping the unit and explaining what the issue was, they informed me the cost of repair would exceed what a new camera body would cost. I inquired what the issue was, and they told me they did not look at the camera but went on what I reported. I asked why I needed to send the camera in if they were not going to look at it. The ending is, I am disappointed with Nikon. I do not feel they have the customers best interests in mind. Several letters went back and forth where they offered me refurbished cameras that actually exceeded what a new camera would cost. There are lots of alternatives out there and after many years of using Nikons I will be choosing them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I will never again recommend Nikon for anything. I have a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarch ATBs. They have been in for service 4 different times and always come back with the same issue. I have spent over $80.00 in the last 4 years paying to ship these pieces of junk back in for service. They state they are fixed and send them back with the same focus problem. This last time I was excited as they stated they where to expense to fix and where sending new binoculars. 2 days later my old ones show up not working again.... Call customer service, wait on hold for over an hour and get told it was a mistake and they would not be replaced.... and to send them in again. What a joke. LIFETIME OF ISSUES IS THEIR WARRANTY....

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought a Nikon Buckmaster II 4-12x40 riflescope. Lost windage and elevation knob caps. Called Nikon for replacement caps. One month later haven’t received anything. No emails no notifications. Give customer service a call to see where the order is at. They tell me that there are none in stock and will ship out when available. Okay that’s fine. Called 2 weeks later to see if anything has happened. Still nothing. At this point I don’t believe I will ever receive a replacement cap. I didn’t believe anyone at the big box chain store I bought my scope from when they said NIKON CUSTOMERS SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!! NOW I DO! I will not be buying any more product from them! Great product but horrible service!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I bought the Nikon Coolpix W300 who should have been waterproof until 30 meters. The first time I went diving, water got inside. After the 1st repair I was really careful but still, the second time water came in again. And the warranty was over for only 1 month and the CS told me that the camera was broken and they can't do anything. So I bought a GoPro and I'll never ever going to bought a nikon again. This is the worst brand and customer service I know.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have had the Monarch 5 8x42 Binos for 4 years now and use them relatively seldom (twice a month) for birding and game-viewing within South Africa. These have a 10 year warranty. Everything has been working fantastically for the past 4 years up until the eye relief on one side was stuck and wouldn't turn up. It always gets stored in its pouch and in a dry cupboard upon return. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They phoned back with the reply "It will not be covered by warranty as the eye-piece is not part of the binoculars, and you need to pay ~R700 to replaced the one eyepiece." Is this a joke? How is the eyepiece not PART OF THE BINOCULARS?? We are at the start of our careers which cameras, binos and co. are integral to. You have lost a lifelong customer, and we will have no qualms with dissuading colleagues from supporting you. Despicable job Nikon. Your warranties are laughable and I am severely unimpressed.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Purchased a D700, $480. One year and a few months later it stopped working due to "power board" problem. Sent it to the Nikon Los Angeles repair station for repair. I was charged $120. The checklist did not indicate the ability to charge the camera was checked. Six weeks later I took a couple of pictures. The camera stopped working due to low battery. I tried to charge the battery but it is impossible to do so. The camera is useless, defective and obviously not repairable. Nikon sells bad products and will not stand behind them, beware.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Nikon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.

• DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.

• Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.

• Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.

• Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.

• Best for: Nikon cameras are best for photography enthusiasts who value device interconnectivity.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team