4.14/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Nikon

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Nikon Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have had the Monarch 7 10x42 Binos of a few years and took to Montana, Idaho, Oregon and twice to Alaska. The glass is in great shape but the Eye relief on both side was stuck and wouldn't turn up or down. One of the eyecups was missing as well. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They replaced the eyecup and both eye relief pieces for no charge. It took one week and I got it back. The Binos are in almost as "good as new" condition!! Great job Nikon!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Great camera with superior lens. At first it was difficult to use due to the fact I was new to photography but as I have gotten better at it it is easy. I actually dropped it once without any damage.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 8, 2019

I have several Nikons. Best is D90. Does everything I need plus video. The only limit to say less than 5 minutes. I can hook it up to my DVD burner and record on to it with sound or create a slideshow of pictures with music to it from the camera. I have the P900. Meh, does great shot of the moon in broad daylight with the 300 mm lens. P900 is not NTSC. I can hook it up but no sound. Sucks.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have had the Monarch 5 8x42 Binos for 4 years now and use them relatively seldom (twice a month) for birding and game-viewing within South Africa. These have a 10 year warranty. Everything has been working fantastically for the past 4 years up until the eye relief on one side was stuck and wouldn't turn up. It always gets stored in its pouch and in a dry cupboard upon return. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They phoned back with the reply "It will not be covered by warranty as the eye-piece is not part of the binoculars, and you need to pay ~R700 to replaced the one eyepiece." Is this a joke? How is the eyepiece not PART OF THE BINOCULARS?? We are at the start of our careers which cameras, binos and co. are integral to. You have lost a lifelong customer, and we will have no qualms with dissuading colleagues from supporting you. Despicable job Nikon. Your warranties are laughable and I am severely unimpressed.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Purchased a D700, $480. One year and a few months later it stopped working due to "power board" problem. Sent it to the Nikon Los Angeles repair station for repair. I was charged $120. The checklist did not indicate the ability to charge the camera was checked. Six weeks later I took a couple of pictures. The camera stopped working due to low battery. I tried to charge the battery but it is impossible to do so. The camera is useless, defective and obviously not repairable. Nikon sells bad products and will not stand behind them, beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

Original review: April 5, 2019

Purchased Coolpix P1000 on Dec 3, 2018 and within a month lens seemed loose. Sent in for repair. Came back after 3 weeks. No problem found and factory reset. After receiving it back still same, lens loose and unable to zoom past 1200mm as picture was blurry and then it started to not turn off or lens retract. Sent again for repair. Came back about 2 weeks later. Unable to duplicate problems and of course factory reset once again and cleaned. I guess that is what Nikon warranty is - factory reset everything sent in and return. I would not recommend Nikon at all. I guess I need to hope now that before warranty runs out camera duplicates problems for them in order to get repaired or replaced.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Sent in a pair of older HG 10x42 Binoculars for a scratched lens that originally cost over $1,500, and received back a sub par pair of $900 replacement Monarch binoculars. They do not make the pair that I sent in for service and cannot repair them. New binoculars are fuzzy on outside edge of lens and there is a chromatic color variation depending where and how you hold the binoculars that causes things to have a green or red tinge to it. My original pair was clear to all edges and no discoloration to anything being looked at. I was able to get in touch with Nikon and they will send me my old binoculars back if I send the new ones back again to them but I am already out over $50 to originally ship them. I will NEVER purchase another Nikon product and will steer everyone and anyone away from Nikon products in the future. For the Money buy something else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The Sales Prevention Team over at Nikon have been busy today. UPS says the address is valid and delivers there all the time, but the postal service has no local delivery in most of the town so they must not be real addresses according to Nikon. "The policy is the policy" I am told. Thomas **, the manager of customer service, also has no boss, no one that signs his check, no one who hired him and no one to hold him accountable. I wasted two hours arguing with them after spending one hour talking to UPS. My wife is a professional photographer and may have to rethink her photography platform. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have sent in two lenses for repair, both under warranty, for internal cleaning. The first (18-200mm) they returned to me fairly promptly but it was uncleaned... The one large speck within the lens remained and I'm not sure what I paid for. The exact spot remained in every photo -- you can toggle between photos taken before and after cleaning and there is no improvement whatsoever.

The second lens, 80-400mm, I sent in (also under warranty) had visible dust inside the front element. This lens retails for $2,300 so I was underwhelmed by the amount of dust that had seeped in through normal, infrequent use. Price quoted for the cleaning? $701.27, categorized as "C—major repair with major parts replaced." I called Nikon to inquire about what major parts needed replaced in a cleaning and they clarified that no parts needed replacement but that cleaning is a complicated process. 30% of the value of a warrantied lens for a cleaning? A cleaning that a well-sealed lens should not need?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Sent my lens in for repair, I received the cost estimate in no time at all but after that nothing. The website is useless, every time you sign in it tells you the same thing, which is why the lens was sent in for repair. Even now with the lens being sent back to me the website tells me it is in for repair. Contacting their 800 number the techs feed you a line of BS, that “we will send you Updated emails and personally make sure this gets done.” Well no emails. No updates, all in all a very disappointing customer service experience. It makes me think that Leica is in my future.

Nikon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.

• DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.

• Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.

• Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.

• Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.

• Best for: Nikon cameras are best for photography enthusiasts who value device interconnectivity.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs