Nikon

Compare Camera Brands

Research top Camera Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I bought a Nikon Coolpix s7000 to replace an earlier Coolpix camera I'd dropped - I liked the s63000 and thought upgrading to a newer model would be a good idea. 5 years difference means a newer, slimmer design, with heightened zooming capabilities - I have no complaints about the camera. My issue is with Nikon Inc - I ordered the camera from a distributor, and was pleasantly surprised to see a sticker on the box urging me to register the camera within 30 days of purchase in order to extend the guarantee by 12 months. As the new purchase was directly related to the accidental damaging of the old product, any extension of a guarantee was welcome! Here is where the problem started.

Having registered my new camera on their website, I could not find any details on extending the guarantee. I emailed customer service to ask where I could find information, and they asked to see a picture of the promotional sticker. I promptly mailed them a jpeg, to which after some hesitation, they said the offer had expired. The promotional sticker was one you could pull out to read further details, one of which was a phone number in the UK, but no mention of any expiry date anywhere. (Or any other boilerplate conditions, such as not valid outside UK, etc) I told customer service "you have to clearly specify terms and conditions on any offer," and they wanted to know from whom I had purchased the camera, and upon receiving said information, they told me to complain to the distributor, as it was out of Nikon's hands.

I'm really surprised that Nikon would not have the business acumen to think of including terms and conditions on any offers, especially if they work through distributors! This offer was not made via a distributor but through Nikon, so complaining to Amazon in this case is of no use and just a case of passing the buck and taking no responsibility. I understand that a company is in business to make money, but then you have to work with the (repeat) customer, clearly specifying when and where an offer is valid - I'm sure extending a guarantee by one measly year doesn't cost that much. Simple things like checking and correcting the copy saves everyone aggravation and bother.

My D5200 SLR is very easy to use and takes great quality pictures--perfect for a novice photographer. It makes it simple to take great shots. You might want to put in a little extra time watching Youtube videos and looking at the manual to get the most out of the camera, but you can also pick it up and take pictures with virtually no experience as well.

The built-in settings help you take amazing pictures of anything from athletes in motion to professional corporate headshots to landscapes. However, the camera is a little on the expensive side, especially if you're not a professional and will just be taking photos for fun, but if you're willing to pay for it, it does the job. Also, some settings I wish were a little different but overall, it captures great images if you know what you're doing. Auto mode can go either way. Ultimately, you are paying for the good quality and adaptability of this camera. I would recommend it to a friend. Great for inexperienced photographers and pros alike.

The camera is professional and capable. And the quality is first rate. However, they are all over priced! But it has diverse capability for handling most situations with panache. And it's also fast. The most important factor regarding any camera is how intuitive the design is for the photographer. Another huge factor is how accessible and extensive the cameras controls are and especially when in the field where controlling the lighting and surrounding factors is far more difficult.

On key operational elements like DOF preview, selective metering options, lens removal and change, availability of easily readable key info in viewfinder in low light or daylight. Information control over metering options, and placement of controls so they are right where you need them, when you need them, so that your hands almost move to each control automatically and naturally, because they have been so well designed that it just makes total sense when you are using the camera.

The importance of intuitive logical design becomes even more clear when you are shooting under pressure and need to move quickly so you do not miss a shot! Of course, you must be competent and knowledgeable regarding photography, camera design, and function. If you are not knowledgeable, you need to get your hands on a good basic no frills camera with mostly manual controls. You need to learn every aspect for being able to pre-visualize, determine, and capture precisely what you are after during your shooting experience, then you will be ready.

My camera has everything I need. The quality is pretty high grade and the value is very good. The image quality is also very good. It is well built and easy to use, also priced right, as well. You can set it up with special menus made up by yourself, but wi-fi is not included, but you can add it on. It is the best dx camera at the time I bought it.

My camera is perfect for an intermediate user. The quality is outstanding as a point and shoot with long range lens. It takes professional quality pictures and it had no complications for a first time user. I used it on an Alaskan Cruise and had pictures that a professional photographer would have been proud of.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

My Nikon D300 and D7100 are a durable, high performing cameras that allow me to take professional grade photos. They are well built, and always function as they are meant to, even after being dropped and taking thousands of photos in rain, snow, and dust. They have lasted me years and the quality of their photos is still relevant, so I feel like I am getting a lot of mileage out of the money I spent on them. I think the image quality of my Nikons has held up very well over time and I am quite happy with it. However, I think there's a slight learning curve with DSLRs in general, but I find Nikons are much easy to learn and much quicker to adjust settings on than the competition I've used before.

My Nikon D300 has really held up well over time. The image quality is still professional grade, even years after it was put on the market. The controls are quick and intuitive and you don't need to take your eye out of the viewfinder to make many adjustments. It's built well and has held up in weather and dirt as well as extreme hot and cold climates. My D7100 has been similarly great, but I don't think the controls are as intuitive or easy to use.

We bought our Nikon D700 used at a camera shop we trust and all the pictures I share with my friends and family tell me that my photography is amazing. I like taking pictures of my grand-kids, family, friends, flowers, landscape, birds, fish & wildlife. The camera is awesome and professional. And the image quality is of high quality. Also, on Automatic the camera does all the work!

Nikon has always had good quality - including my older N2020 that gave up the ghost in only 17 years. My Nikon N65 35mm camera has taken some remarkable pics. The value of the camera is OK - but then, I'm a perfectionist. The ease of use is also pretty good and the image quality is okay. But why is a pic of my dog, taken from a friend's phone, better than my 35 mm pics? It's also a bit heavy, especially with all the accessories, lenses and filters. I'm now disabled, so lugging all that is a bit difficult. Especially for a disabled old lady.

Digital Nikon cameras are an extension of film technology. I am 57 years old, very familiar with film photography and the switch to digital with my d700 full frame was easy and fun!!! I love the camera and it is reliable. It has the best value and the image quality is sharp.

It is really a great cam for the price. It is fairly easy to use, lightweight and handy, just wish it had chargeable battery, as well. But it is a great cam for a semi-novice and it uses AAs. It has great quality and image, too. However, a couple of settings are a bit confusing.

My camera captures the images and movements of my grandchildren which is impossible otherwise. But it is a little heavy but that is because they didn't compromise on quality of material. I can shoot and immediately (with minor adjustments due to my inexperience with photography) take the image and print it out as a 40" x 60" mounted print. The camera captures the number of pixels that allow you to do that.

The only time I take it off of automatic (due to my inability to want to read what I should be doing) is when I want to capture a specific grand child in a performance or when I'm using it to capture video. If you are a professional photographer then you may know other features but as an inexperienced photographer my camera could not be better. What I have been able to accomplish with it is amazing.

Nikon cameras are an excellent entry level SLR and on the upper end are the (IMNSHO) best of the professional cameras, in equipment (lenses, etc.) support as well as software support. As always, Nikon's dependability, under all adverse and/or user conditions, is legendary.

After 35 years as a loyal and dedicated Canon user, I switched over to Nikon when I went digital. Strictly fit and feel, a Nikon D810. Both Canon and Nikon make fantastic products. What really tipped it was that I do a lot of flash photography and Nikon's flash system is much easier to use and configure than Canon's.

I use a Nikon D90 with a stationary 55mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens or my 24-70 f/2.8 portrait zoom. It's a sturdy camera with excellent image quality for its range in the spectrum of DSLR cameras. My only complaint is that Nikon glass (lenses) tend to be pricey compared to its competition. I can get the same lens specs on a Canon for hundreds of dollars cheaper in some cases (24-70 lens). Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my D90. ISO range is clear up to 1200, and the 1080p video capabilities are very useful.

Have always relied in Nikon. Their quality is just superb! In the years I have invested in cameras; Nikon has never disappointed. The clarity and clean shots along with brilliant colors captured are bar none.

I own two Nikon Coolpix cameras, and have difficulty turning them on, and getting good results. The coloring of the pictures have a lot of orange to them. With the cost of the camera, I was expecting more. I am disappointed in the performance of this model Nikon. Perhaps another model would be better.

I got a new Nikon 3400 camera and got it home, read the manual and charged the battery. The camera took 4 photos then said charge battery. I did like the book says then put it back in the Camera and it shut off. The battery is bad on a brand new Nikon 3400. I called Nikon and they said sorry. It does not matter if it's bad that it is mine and if I want the camera to work I must buy a new battery. They don't stand behind the product working. They said to take it back to the place where I purchased it and tell them it's their problem... Now after spending over 500.00 they want me to pay more to make it work. I am going to take it back and never ever get any Nikon product ever. Please tell everyone not to spend their money on something made from Nikon where they tell you it's yours, working or not. If you want it to work spend more money. That is very bad customer service. Nikon, very sad. Customer service...

It is a lightweight camera, easy to use, and takes great pictures. This is a high quality camera that has stood up to several years of use. Good quality for the money. The image quality is very good. Basically a point and shoot, but with options for zooming and adjusting other settings. The one complaint I have is that it does not use the regular rechargeable batteries. While the battery is rechargeable, it is not your standard battery. It is a proprietary battery.

Highly reliable, beautiful and excellent quality pictures. The best quality available in my humble opinion. I researched for months and believe I chose the most affordable, high-end quality camera available. I looked for several months before choosing my Nikon. Value beyond comparison. Very clear, accurate in even the tiniest detail. If I can use my Nikon, a 4-year old could. That is how easy this camera is to use. Point, focus and shoot. I love it! My camera is so simple to use. I merely point, focus and shoot - all within 2-3 seconds tops. My pictures are beautiful whether indoors or out, sunny, rainy or cloudy days. The weather isn't a issue, nor is the sun. Removing the scan disk is so easy, as is changing the camera batteries - 4 double A. The price couldn't be beat - anywhere. I love using this camera. I love everything about this camera!!

Easy to use and takes great pictures. Very reliable. The features and picture quality are very good for what I paid for the camera. Picture quality is very good for a point and shoot. Has the necessary functions I use and need. I have enjoyed this camera and have taken thousands of pictures. The cycle time between shots can be a little slow at times but all in all the features and functions are very good for the type of camera it is. I would buy another one if I had to.

Great quality camera. It was worth the price. Great depending on what lens I'm using. Nikon D3100 is Very easy to use. Picture quality is good with the lens kit but if you want better quality photos, you will need to buy different lenses which can be costly.

Easy to use, good programs. Good pictures, good handling, robust housing. Worth the money. Very good, only to adjust for night time pics. Very easy. I have two Nikons, a small pocket type (coolpix L 250) and a L 320. I really like both of them, specially the L 310 with its WIDE lens and 20X zoom. That camera is good for landscape and tall buildings pictures.

The camera is really nice. Quality is really good. It was a little costly. Takes great pictures. Auto focus with small lens doesn't work properly,. It is not easy to choose features. Good camera, takes great pictures, auto focus with small lens will not focus automatically, you have to manually zoom in or out even though it is on auto focus.

Excellent, well made. Good price but not cheaply made. Images are close to professional quality. However some features are a little difficult to learn. Easy and fun to use. Good quality. For me an older person I need to learn the wifi and some other features. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Takes excellent pics.

Professional Quality. Very good quality, vivid colors. Excellent. Isn't very complicated once you try it for a few minutes. I have a nikon 3320 and is a professional DSR one. Professional cameras are more expensive, but the overall quality is superior. You can have quality pictures that you can feel proud to keep for life.

Excellent first dslr. Very good for an entry level dslr. I bought it as it seemed to have the best reviews and vg kit lens. Image and colour rendition is very good. Obviously becomes easier as you use the camera more. I got the camera for image quality and colour rendition and the fact I can shoot on full manual and in the Raw format. I can also use back button focusing. I have the standard kit lens, a 55-200 and the 50mm 1.8 lenses and that covers all I do at the moment. They are all excellent Nikons and I am very pleased with picture quality and the versatility they give me. The camera has only been pushed to 800 ISO but has performed very highly. I shoot mainly birds and animals at my local ponds and have found the camera combined with 200mm is great.

My camera takes terrible pictures. Poor quality. I payed over $300 for my camera and I have it for over 3 years and I haven't got a dozen good picture. No matter which setting I put it on, the pictures are blurry. The settings are easy to use, they are placed in a very easy to use position. My camera is hard to get focused on your picture. The color is terrible. I debated a long time before I finally purchased the camera. I should have purchased a Canon.

Great easy pictures. Well made and works well. Great value for money. Excellent - Generally easy to use. To really get the best results one needs some education from a professional. After such a class or two one can really begin to understand how to effectively use the camera.

Best quality and bang for my buck. Takes absolutely beautiful pictures with the right lens and my camera picture taking knowledge. The best. You can set it on auto and forget about the settings if you want but still has so many setting options for the more advanced. I have a Nikon D3200 and It has a 24.2 Megapixel DX format CMOS sensor for super sharp in focus pictures and I can even get super pictures at night with very little light. I can set the camera's settings for any light and contrast condition and take moving stills and also 1080p video. This camera is very light also but has a lot of Pro camera capabilities. A phone camera or a point and shoot can't compete with an SLR like this or maybe any DSLR for that matter. The only thing I think they have going for them is convenience. Try blowing up a 4x6 picture to say 4 times that with a phone or point and shoot camera and see how blurry your picture turns out but not with my DLSR.

Consumer Increased Rating!

On November 4, 2016, I received my unusable camera back from the repair company, United Electronics Group. They determined that it didn't work properly because of impact damage, which would not be covered by them. I disagreed with their decision. I called United Electronics Group on November 10 and disputed their findings. I was told to send the camera back and they would take another look at it. I made copies of the foggy photos I took on vacation showing the decline of the image and in my letter stated that the photo quality had nothing to do with any kind of impact. The camera itself had no scratches, dings or dents on it.

On November 30, I received an e-mail from United Electronics Group saying Nikon approved to comp the repairs on my device. On December 7, I received a refurbished camera. The issue was resolved and I now have a camera that works. If I didn't pursue this issue, I would have spent $319.99 and have been left with a broken unusable camera.

Diane of Glendale, NY on

Original Review

Camera purchased Oct 2015. In June 2016 red vertical lines started to appear on the LCD screen. I was on vacation and was unable to take any pictures. Sent camera for repair and the Lens Assembly was replaced. October 2016, on vacation and again unable to use the camera. The LCD screen and inside the lens fogged. I was using the camera outdoors, so there was no temperature change. Not happy about having no pictures from both vacations and for having to pay shipping charges every time I have to send this camera back. Twice in one year. Would not recommend this camera.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.
  • DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.
  • Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.
  • Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.
  • Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.
  • Best for Nikon cameras are best for photography enthusiasts who value device interconnectivity.

Compare Camera Brands