Nikon

Compare Camera Brands

Research top Camera Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Nikon cameras are an excellent entry level SLR and on the upper end are the (IMNSHO) best of the professional cameras, in equipment (lenses, etc.) support as well as software support. As always, Nikon's dependability, under all adverse and/or user conditions, is legendary.

After 35 years as a loyal and dedicated Canon user, I switched over to Nikon when I went digital. Strictly fit and feel, a Nikon D810. Both Canon and Nikon make fantastic products. What really tipped it was that I do a lot of flash photography and Nikon's flash system is much easier to use and configure than Canon's.

I use a Nikon D90 with a stationary 55mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens or my 24-70 f/2.8 portrait zoom. It's a sturdy camera with excellent image quality for its range in the spectrum of DSLR cameras. My only complaint is that Nikon glass (lenses) tend to be pricey compared to its competition. I can get the same lens specs on a Canon for hundreds of dollars cheaper in some cases (24-70 lens). Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my D90. ISO range is clear up to 1200, and the 1080p video capabilities are very useful.

Have always relied in Nikon. Their quality is just superb! In the years I have invested in cameras; Nikon has never disappointed. The clarity and clean shots along with brilliant colors captured are bar none.

I own two Nikon Coolpix cameras, and have difficulty turning them on, and getting good results. The coloring of the pictures have a lot of orange to them. With the cost of the camera, I was expecting more. I am disappointed in the performance of this model Nikon. Perhaps another model would be better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

I got a new Nikon 3400 camera and got it home, read the manual and charged the battery. The camera took 4 photos then said charge battery. I did like the book says then put it back in the Camera and it shut off. The battery is bad on a brand new Nikon 3400. I called Nikon and they said sorry. It does not matter if it's bad that it is mine and if I want the camera to work I must buy a new battery. They don't stand behind the product working. They said to take it back to the place where I purchased it and tell them it's their problem... Now after spending over 500.00 they want me to pay more to make it work. I am going to take it back and never ever get any Nikon product ever. Please tell everyone not to spend their money on something made from Nikon where they tell you it's yours, working or not. If you want it to work spend more money. That is very bad customer service. Nikon, very sad. Customer service...

It is a lightweight camera, easy to use, and takes great pictures. This is a high quality camera that has stood up to several years of use. Good quality for the money. The image quality is very good. Basically a point and shoot, but with options for zooming and adjusting other settings. The one complaint I have is that it does not use the regular rechargeable batteries. While the battery is rechargeable, it is not your standard battery. It is a proprietary battery.

Highly reliable, beautiful and excellent quality pictures. The best quality available in my humble opinion. I researched for months and believe I chose the most affordable, high-end quality camera available. I looked for several months before choosing my Nikon. Value beyond comparison. Very clear, accurate in even the tiniest detail. If I can use my Nikon, a 4-year old could. That is how easy this camera is to use. Point, focus and shoot. I love it! My camera is so simple to use. I merely point, focus and shoot - all within 2-3 seconds tops. My pictures are beautiful whether indoors or out, sunny, rainy or cloudy days. The weather isn't a issue, nor is the sun. Removing the scan disk is so easy, as is changing the camera batteries - 4 double A. The price couldn't be beat - anywhere. I love using this camera. I love everything about this camera!!

Easy to use and takes great pictures. Very reliable. The features and picture quality are very good for what I paid for the camera. Picture quality is very good for a point and shoot. Has the necessary functions I use and need. I have enjoyed this camera and have taken thousands of pictures. The cycle time between shots can be a little slow at times but all in all the features and functions are very good for the type of camera it is. I would buy another one if I had to.

Great quality camera. It was worth the price. Great depending on what lens I'm using. Nikon D3100 is Very easy to use. Picture quality is good with the lens kit but if you want better quality photos, you will need to buy different lenses which can be costly.

Easy to use, good programs. Good pictures, good handling, robust housing. Worth the money. Very good, only to adjust for night time pics. Very easy. I have two Nikons, a small pocket type (coolpix L 250) and a L 320. I really like both of them, specially the L 310 with its WIDE lens and 20X zoom. That camera is good for landscape and tall buildings pictures.

The camera is really nice. Quality is really good. It was a little costly. Takes great pictures. Auto focus with small lens doesn't work properly,. It is not easy to choose features. Good camera, takes great pictures, auto focus with small lens will not focus automatically, you have to manually zoom in or out even though it is on auto focus.

Excellent, well made. Good price but not cheaply made. Images are close to professional quality. However some features are a little difficult to learn. Easy and fun to use. Good quality. For me an older person I need to learn the wifi and some other features. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Takes excellent pics.

Professional Quality. Very good quality, vivid colors. Excellent. Isn't very complicated once you try it for a few minutes. I have a nikon 3320 and is a professional DSR one. Professional cameras are more expensive, but the overall quality is superior. You can have quality pictures that you can feel proud to keep for life.

Excellent first dslr. Very good for an entry level dslr. I bought it as it seemed to have the best reviews and vg kit lens. Image and colour rendition is very good. Obviously becomes easier as you use the camera more. I got the camera for image quality and colour rendition and the fact I can shoot on full manual and in the Raw format. I can also use back button focusing. I have the standard kit lens, a 55-200 and the 50mm 1.8 lenses and that covers all I do at the moment. They are all excellent Nikons and I am very pleased with picture quality and the versatility they give me. The camera has only been pushed to 800 ISO but has performed very highly. I shoot mainly birds and animals at my local ponds and have found the camera combined with 200mm is great.

My camera takes terrible pictures. Poor quality. I payed over $300 for my camera and I have it for over 3 years and I haven't got a dozen good picture. No matter which setting I put it on, the pictures are blurry. The settings are easy to use, they are placed in a very easy to use position. My camera is hard to get focused on your picture. The color is terrible. I debated a long time before I finally purchased the camera. I should have purchased a Canon.

Great easy pictures. Well made and works well. Great value for money. Excellent - Generally easy to use. To really get the best results one needs some education from a professional. After such a class or two one can really begin to understand how to effectively use the camera.

Best quality and bang for my buck. Takes absolutely beautiful pictures with the right lens and my camera picture taking knowledge. The best. You can set it on auto and forget about the settings if you want but still has so many setting options for the more advanced. I have a Nikon D3200 and It has a 24.2 Megapixel DX format CMOS sensor for super sharp in focus pictures and I can even get super pictures at night with very little light. I can set the camera's settings for any light and contrast condition and take moving stills and also 1080p video. This camera is very light also but has a lot of Pro camera capabilities. A phone camera or a point and shoot can't compete with an SLR like this or maybe any DSLR for that matter. The only thing I think they have going for them is convenience. Try blowing up a 4x6 picture to say 4 times that with a phone or point and shoot camera and see how blurry your picture turns out but not with my DLSR.

Consumer Increased Rating!

On November 4, 2016, I received my unusable camera back from the repair company, United Electronics Group. They determined that it didn't work properly because of impact damage, which would not be covered by them. I disagreed with their decision. I called United Electronics Group on November 10 and disputed their findings. I was told to send the camera back and they would take another look at it. I made copies of the foggy photos I took on vacation showing the decline of the image and in my letter stated that the photo quality had nothing to do with any kind of impact. The camera itself had no scratches, dings or dents on it.

On November 30, I received an e-mail from United Electronics Group saying Nikon approved to comp the repairs on my device. On December 7, I received a refurbished camera. The issue was resolved and I now have a camera that works. If I didn't pursue this issue, I would have spent $319.99 and have been left with a broken unusable camera.

Diane of Glendale, NY on

Original Review

Camera purchased Oct 2015. In June 2016 red vertical lines started to appear on the LCD screen. I was on vacation and was unable to take any pictures. Sent camera for repair and the Lens Assembly was replaced. October 2016, on vacation and again unable to use the camera. The LCD screen and inside the lens fogged. I was using the camera outdoors, so there was no temperature change. Not happy about having no pictures from both vacations and for having to pay shipping charges every time I have to send this camera back. Twice in one year. Would not recommend this camera.

Ken you are a liar full of one excuse after another. To make an accusation at me in all this is ridiculous and "almost" comical not to mention the fact you actually were trying to justify it by saying I said I knew all this w/ UPS coz I tracked it w/ tracking # & told you so!!! This is nothing but LIES & you trying to cover your mistakes! I never even had a tracking # until this afternoon when I called Nikon support after trying to find out delivery time. I spoke w/ you and YOU STATED that The UPS was late to your company's location earlier this week & Nikon did not get my item shipped out as promised on Tuesday and it was going out next day on wed to be rec'd w/ next day delivery for Thursday!

You have done nothing but lie about everything w/ my account here & throw out misinformation! One week everything is done to the next week you don't know why these 2 items were not shipped out! Then 1 Call last week "everything was completed & scheduled for delivery Thurs.!" Then one call & email stated that the camera and lenses is completed. Flash is not! Even on the 20th of sept I was told I would rec equipment by the end of the week no later than sept 23/24th!!! It is in WRITING!

Then you state only recently for the 1st time that the lens was now waiting on parts and flash & camera done! I expressed our situation and next day sir YOU STATED WAS APPROVED. In fact it was approved over 7 days ago and yet even today you throw out excuses and insinuate I said I was aware UPS would not deliver thurs when that statement WAS FALSE!! This is BS Ken and I believe now you are no longer providing adequate customer service but in fact are playing games w/ us because you unjustly have a personal issue w/ our myself and my co. I don't think I have ever rec'd such inadequate customer service & support w/ a company before! I seriously regret ever leaving Olympus if only for their Excellent support! This sadly now has been going on OVER 1 month! It's ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

Now, per our conversation this week: 1st on Monday where YOU stated equipment would be rec! To Wed's conversation where we were yet again calling at 4:30 on wed as to where the whereabouts of my equipment was! Now in recent phone conversations YOU stated UPS arrived late to the Nikon facility WHICH you promised it would be shipped out next day! My camera & flash was going out for next day delivery and now You Ken throw out some bs that I said UPS was running late & would go out for delivery on THURSDAY!!!

To even suggest or state I said what you claimed is yet again your Dept & yourself are trying to pass blame to me when I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A TRACKING # to make such a statement or claim!!!! You SAID UPS WAS DELIVERING NEXT DAY AIR during our last conversation AND camera/flash WOULD BE REC'd on THURSDAY! Now youre acting like this is my fault and I supposedly told you UPS had issues. I have never been lied to so many times w/ a company as I have been by Nikon's support and YOU!! This is ridiculous and Your actions have affected my clients now forcing me to rent equipment TODAY that will be very costly!

PLS NOTE ON SEPT 20th it was stated to me in writing THAT MY ITEMS were being shipped & WOULD BE REC'D by THE END OF THE WEEK WHICH FRI was the 23rd!!! Today is the 29th & still NOTHING! Except a lot of excuses! I am appalled by the statements and actions by you & your department! I do expect the costs for repair of my flash be credited or all our troubles!

I got an unexpected email from Nikon Tech Support, telling me that "This is a follow up email in regards to your Nikon Digital Product that is currently logged in our system. Unfortunately, UPS has returned your package, indicating that you refused package. Please contact Nikon via phone to provide a physical mailing address for your shipment in writing."

Since I had not requested any shipments, I thought this was a scam, but figured I would confirm that, so I tried to login to my account at Nikon (without clicking any links in the email). I actually did have an account there which I had set up for an issue with a Nikon scanner from back in 2004. When I logged in, I was surprised to see that the question in the email was present on the site in My Account, but with no further details.

So I called the Nikon Support phone number, looking for an explanation of where this came from. I never did actually reach a person, since I was then barraged with a series of offers for discounted satellite TV, coupons for sale to get me discounts on equipment that I could buy, and other unwanted items that I eventually stopped listening to. I have bought exclusively Nikon equipment for my photography hobby for years, and was very surprised to see that this is what Nikon has stooped to - scamming people into contacting them to make them listen to offers.

Dropped my lens, my fault. Sent lens in for repair, which came to over $200. Got lens back but focus did not work, called Nikon "service" immediately and informed them of problem. Rather than have me return lens to be fixed right "service" rep had me change all the settings on my camera to trick me into thinking it worked. Had trip to go on so delayed returning this piece of junk. I sent lens back well over a month ago, and even though they have not examined any internal workings of this lens they blame it on sand damage and want almost as much money to "fix" this again. I can nothing but bad things about Nikon repair and their "service" reps.

I do inspections for a living, which requires me to have a camera. The shutter on my Nikon Coolpix s7000 broke after a couple months of ownership. I called Nikon and they said to send it back for repair. Cool. I'll just use my Galaxy S5 for work until the camera returns. That worked fine until summer temperatures got over 100 degrees, causing my phone and tablet to overheat. I had to abandon the job, which cost me a couple hundred dollars. By this time my camera had been gone for over a month, so I called Nikon. They couldn't help me - they sent it somewhere else to be repaired and I'd have to call them. So I did - and they hadn't even looked at my camera yet! At this point, I don't know if I'll ever get my camera back. I bought another camera - and it's not a Nikon!

Sent D3 in for cleaning and check. They sent back and estimate for 158 dollars and some change. They said I did not send in a battery or flash card. I complained and lo and behold they found the battery and flash cards. I then approved the repair. Then I get a letter that states "your repair is now $1,203.66 because you need a new sensor." Made some phone calls and they sent pics back of scratches on sensor. Think this is a scam. Never had a problem with the sensor. They should have said that in the first email when they requested approval. They are now offing a discount for the repair. Now I have less than 45 days to either approve of the repair or send it back to me. What can I do NOW? Help Please.

I'm a pro photographer and NPS member. Ive had dealing with NPS in the past that have gone well, and other dealings that have been catastrophic. While I expect Nikon customer service has good intentions, good intentions simply aren't enough especially at the pro level. I recently sent my out of warranty D4s in to be checked for a sticking shutter issues. I paid thousands of dollars to get 12 fps each and every time I request it. So if the shutter locks up at 3, even occasionally it can ruin ones day.

I also requested a complimentary clean and check and noted rubber grip breakdown. My estimate to repair, that I approved, was just over $400. I asked what it would cover and they said they couldnt tell me until AFTER the repair. I replied that as long as all issues in my work order were addressed and fixed I was fine with that.

Several days later I received word the camera was fixed and shipped. The repair came to $300. What did they fix for $300?? One rubber grip!!! Thats a $30 part that takes minutes to replace. Ive asked for an explanation / justification for charging so much and not even addressing the main issue. No response so far from the promised expedited service of NPS. I have the camera in hand, though untested. Even the new replacement rubber has issues. What does one have to do these days to get competent service from a professional service department? Scream and yell? Hold their hand? NPS gets an F for effort and another F for professionalism.

My D300S survives up to this day. There was a time I've used it everytime and everywhere, but it is a workhorse of a camera. Quite on the heavy side, but I got used to it in no time. It was not the best camera to use for the streets because it has a loud shutter click and just plain massive, but it proved itself to be a capable one. Operationally, it is exceptional, at least until there is ample available light. My fondest memory of using that brick of a camera was during a fire that broke out somewhere in Makati. I took it with me in the area affected to take photos and it's the stuff of legends. Like me, it took a hell of a beating -- multiple baths with water, thick smoke, sand, and everything you find in a place razed by fire. It suffered a lot of dents as well. But it did not fail to operate, which is what I expected from it.

I called and the tech person didn't even know that the D500 didn't have an on-camera flash - they told me to adjust the on-camera flash settings (wow). They then on my request transferred me to a "knowledgeable tech" who thought that "repeating flash" mode (which I explained I needed for some of my photography) was having the flash go off on multiple photos - he told me that if I hold down the shutter I can take multiple shots and the flash would flash. I was stunned and told him, "No, repeating flash mode has nothing to do with that. It's a strobe type flash with varying times like 1/16 of a second for example set for the effect." He had no idea what this was - I then said I wanted a knowledgeable tech and he said "Speaking." WOW.

He finally never admitted he was completely clueless but said it needed another level of tech - OMG - idiot. I then FINALLY got someone who knew something. Nikon, you are an embarrassment to professional and semi-pro photographers. You offer ** tech support with morons who know virtually NOTHING more than, and often LESS than, the manuals. Pathetic. Even though I'll need to sell lenses and bodies, I'm inclined already after years of this to switch to Canon - Nikon, you truly suck.

For years, I have heard several people tell me that I had an eye for photography. And though perhaps I did recognize that myself, I never really thought about purchasing a dslr for myself as first of all, I knew such cameras to be expensive and I wasn't going to shoot professionally, anyway, so I stuck to my iPhone for years and took photos with it. However, a few years into my teaching profession, I realized I wanted to pursue photography and writing. So the search for an entry level camera began. I started asking friends who were already doing photography which brand they would recommend. A lot recommended Canon, while some recommended Nikon. Fortunately, one photographer friend used both and generously shared with me the differences between the two, and I ended up going for Nikon.

I found the Nikon D3200 on an online store and saw that it was way more affordable than the rest, probably because it's an entry level camera. When I got it, it came with a bag, battery, charger, strap, and of course, the kit lens 18mm-55mm. I took it with me on my first hike up a mountain and it worked awesome for me! It was a perfect time and place to use it for landscape photos as the views were incredible. I find that the colors of the photos in my Nikon camera are fairly vivid; they're great. However, a year into using it, something happened to its shutter, I think, if not the lens, where sometimes when I'd focus on a subject, the lens vibrates. It can be quite bothersome that sometimes I opt to just use the manual focus, but sometimes it works fine.

Generally, I love my Nikon D3200. I'm a believer that the best camera a photographer can ever have is the one that's already available to him. Higher end cameras with more features may help in producing quality photos, but really, it all boils down to the photographer's composition. With much study and practice, I know I can take beautiful photos with my entry level Nikon.

My camera was recalled in March due to shuttering issues. I received it back. Went on my trip to Australia & was booked into going on a tour with a professional photographer to get great photos. First day photos were coming out white, camera was noisy. Came back with no photography memories. Nikon knew I was going to Australia so this camera was not even a year old was not tested. My camera is now back with Nikon & I have asked for a new replacement as I paid £1750 for this camera & if I wanted a reconditioned one I would have bought one saving hundreds of pounds. They keep telling me they are still testing it & I keep telling them I want a brand new replacement. Can you help.

Poor USA website and phone support. I bought a Nikon digital camera. I used my smartphone to register it at nikonusa.com/register but the website does not work. I tried to email Nikon but they don't publish an email. I bought it from Walmart.com.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.
  • DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.
  • Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.
  • Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.
  • Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.
  • Best for Nikon cameras are best for photography enthusiasts who value device interconnectivity.

Compare Camera Brands