4.08/5

275 Nikon Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have had the Monarch 7 10x42 Binos of a few years and took to Montana, Idaho, Oregon and twice to Alaska. The glass is in great shape but the Eye relief on both side was stuck and wouldn't turn up or down. One of the eyecups was missing as well. I contacted customer service and sent it in. They replaced the eyecup and both eye relief pieces for no charge. It took one week and I got it back. The Binos are in almost as "good as new" condition!! Great job Nikon!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Great camera with superior lens. At first it was difficult to use due to the fact I was new to photography but as I have gotten better at it it is easy. I actually dropped it once without any damage.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have several Nikons. Best is D90. Does everything I need plus video. The only limit to say less than 5 minutes. I can hook it up to my DVD burner and record on to it with sound or create a slideshow of pictures with music to it from the camera. I have the P900. Meh, does great shot of the moon in broad daylight with the 300 mm lens. P900 is not NTSC. I can hook it up but no sound. Sucks.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Purchased Coolpix P1000 on Dec 3, 2018 and within a month lens seemed loose. Sent in for repair. Came back after 3 weeks. No problem found and factory reset. After receiving it back still same, lens loose and unable to zoom past 1200mm as picture was blurry and then it started to not turn off or lens retract. Sent again for repair. Came back about 2 weeks later. Unable to duplicate problems and of course factory reset once again and cleaned. I guess that is what Nikon warranty is - factory reset everything sent in and return. I would not recommend Nikon at all. I guess I need to hope now that before warranty runs out camera duplicates problems for them in order to get repaired or replaced.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Sent in a pair of older HG 10x42 Binoculars for a scratched lens that originally cost over $1,500, and received back a sub par pair of $900 replacement Monarch binoculars. They do not make the pair that I sent in for service and cannot repair them. New binoculars are fuzzy on outside edge of lens and there is a chromatic color variation depending where and how you hold the binoculars that causes things to have a green or red tinge to it. My original pair was clear to all edges and no discoloration to anything being looked at. I was able to get in touch with Nikon and they will send me my old binoculars back if I send the new ones back again to them but I am already out over $50 to originally ship them. I will NEVER purchase another Nikon product and will steer everyone and anyone away from Nikon products in the future. For the Money buy something else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nikon?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The Sales Prevention Team over at Nikon have been busy today. UPS says the address is valid and delivers there all the time, but the postal service has no local delivery in most of the town so they must not be real addresses according to Nikon. "The policy is the policy" I am told. Thomas **, the manager of customer service, also has no boss, no one that signs his check, no one who hired him and no one to hold him accountable. I wasted two hours arguing with them after spending one hour talking to UPS. My wife is a professional photographer and may have to rethink her photography platform. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have sent in two lenses for repair, both under warranty, for internal cleaning. The first (18-200mm) they returned to me fairly promptly but it was uncleaned... The one large speck within the lens remained and I'm not sure what I paid for. The exact spot remained in every photo -- you can toggle between photos taken before and after cleaning and there is no improvement whatsoever.

The second lens, 80-400mm, I sent in (also under warranty) had visible dust inside the front element. This lens retails for $2,300 so I was underwhelmed by the amount of dust that had seeped in through normal, infrequent use. Price quoted for the cleaning? $701.27, categorized as "C—major repair with major parts replaced." I called Nikon to inquire about what major parts needed replaced in a cleaning and they clarified that no parts needed replacement but that cleaning is a complicated process. 30% of the value of a warrantied lens for a cleaning? A cleaning that a well-sealed lens should not need?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Sent my lens in for repair, I received the cost estimate in no time at all but after that nothing. The website is useless, every time you sign in it tells you the same thing, which is why the lens was sent in for repair. Even now with the lens being sent back to me the website tells me it is in for repair. Contacting their 800 number the techs feed you a line of BS, that “we will send you Updated emails and personally make sure this gets done.” Well no emails. No updates, all in all a very disappointing customer service experience. It makes me think that Leica is in my future.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My 4 month old Nikon D7200 DSLR camera has been at Nikon’s Melville, NY repair center for a month now. The status for the last month has been “Parts Hold.” Nikon is apparently waiting for Nikon to send them a lower flash cover to complete the repair. I have no idea how much longer this repair will take. In the meantime, I’ve been deprived of the use of my camera, and my 12 month warranty is getting eaten up because my camera is sitting idle in Nikon’s big, modern repair facility that seems to have every amenity except the parts needed to repair my camera.

I understand things break. I understand it take some time to fix them. But waiting for a month for a part for a new camera that is relatively recent production, and is still available in quantity from sellers as new, is a bit problematic for me. This isn’t a 1989 vintage 35mm camera, rather, it is a camera still featured on Nikon’s website. My other problem is that the longer it sits at Nikon, the more of my 12 month warranty gets eaten up. This, in a larger sense, is even more troubling.

Warranties have value. Monetary value. They are a “feature” of the camera and are an enticement to buy a product. However, a warranty only has real value if you can use the product. In other words, if I buy a camera and set it on my shelf and never use it, the warranty has no value to me. But if I use my camera, then there is an opportunity for a covered problem to develop, for which I can exercise my warranty. I have an opportunity to put enough use into the product for a manufacturer’s issue to become apparent. I can then exercise the warranty, have the defect fixed, and realize the value of the warranty. In my situation, if I get the camera back after 1 month, and a problem arises on my 13th month of ownership, then I’m SOL, even though I’ve only had the camera in my possession for 12 months.

The warranty also represents risk to the company that issued the warranty. It represents a risk that a company may have costs arising from repairing a product under warranty. Ideally, the company wants no expenses associated warranty repairs. The company has two ways to control that risk: either build a product that won’t fail, or reduce the term of the warranty. And the latter is essentially what happens when a product sits for an inordinate amount of time in some repair facility. I am deprived of the use of the camera thereby reducing my chances of uncovering a covered problem, and the company reduces its risk of future warranty claims by keeping the camera out of my hands and out of use for as long as possible while eating up the length of my warranty.

Extrapolate this out: If Nikon’s average repair time for any given warranty problem is 1 month, then for every 12 cameras they take in for repair, then they wipe away a year of collective warranty time away from their customers. That must have significant monetary value to the company, given the number of warranty claims they must get monthly. I’ve done a lot of internet research and have found that Nikon’s repair times are ridiculously long. There’s speculation as to why this is. Regardless of why, Nikon to reducing the value of our warranties by keeping or products so long while, simultaneously, likely saving themselves bundle in future warranty claims.

I’ve contacted Nikon on 4 occasions to get an ETA on my camera, each time with a promise to call me back. They never have. Nikon can remedy this by extending the warranty for the amount of time they have the camera. I don't know if they will, because they won't communicate beyond saying "Parts hold." And I can't find anything in my documentation or on the internet to confirm that Nikon will do so. I am seriously thinking of sending my complaint and research to the NY Attorney General’s office.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

After close to 3 months, they still have my camera, brought in for warranty repair, in their possession (hopefully) with no confirmation of a return date. The scenario is that I physically brought a camera to their Los Angeles service center for warranty repair in early September of this year. I later found out that they sub the repair to a company called United Electronics repair, which subsequently went out of business.

After several follow up phone calls that I made to Nikon's customer service, including one today, I'm told by different service reps that the camera will be shipped to my home by United Electronics at some unknown future date...and then to send it back to Nikon for the actual repair. So basically, I'm without a camera, purchased just in January 2018, unsure when or if it will be returned... And Nikon takes evidently no responsibility for their product that was directly handed to them for warranty repair.

Nikon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokoyo, Japan, Nikon is a multinational corporation that specializes in images and optics. Though Nikon is most well-known for their cameras, they also manufacture microscopes, ophthalmic lenses and other precision equipment products.

• Nikon Ambassadors: The Nikon Ambassadors are twenty four accomplished photographers who hold workshops, appear at trade shows, teach online classes and otherwise work to showcase the versatility of Nikon products.

• DSLR camera recommendations: The Nikon website organizes their DSLR cameras by the users’ needs. Whether the consumer is an entry-level user or a professional photographer, the Nikon website makes it easy to find the right camera.

• Nikon imaging apps: Nikon has developed numerous apps that work with the user’s smartphone and Nikon camera. The Learn & Explore app offers tips for beginners, and Nikon SnapBridge can transfer photos from the camera to the user’s phone automatically. From sharing files to researching lenses, Nikon has plenty of apps at the user’s disposal.

• Nikon Knowledgebase: Online databases like a glossary of camera terminology or a list of firmware updates are available through the Nikon Knowledgebase. The Knowledgebase is searchable through key phrases, products or categories.

• Nikon School: Numerous affordable courses are available online and in-person. The Nikon website has details and schedules for users to find courses near them. These classes are subject to availability.

• Best for: Nikon cameras are best for photography enthusiasts who value device interconnectivity.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs