Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

GoPro Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2020

5 years ago I invested in a GoPro and all the accessories including a Pelican case to store and protect my equipment. I used it once for about an hour then used it again a couple years later for about an hour for a total of 2-3 hours. I'm ready to start using it on a regular basis now but to my dismay it doesn't work. I did all the recommendations and got it to briefly come alive only to permanently die! It was never exposed to water or any other extremes and was used in a protective case. They said the internals failed. I never have known electronics to have a shelf life, you provide power and they wake up. They felt offering a 25% discount on a new 8 camera from their website at full price NOT their promotional price was acceptable. I explained that didn't seem right especially when there's better offers on Amazon. THEY DIDN'T CARE!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

PLEASE do no support this lame company that has zero customer service!!! Read all negative reviews because they are all accurate!!! Not worth my time to type more. GoPro SUCKS!!! GoPro Sucks!!! GoPro Sucks!

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, EFFORT OR MONEY WITH THIS SHOCKING SERVICE! GoPro Plus is falsely advertised and they do not deliver on any of the services they promote. The automated photo upload takes days to set up and many calls to their support department. Then once you think you've finally got it working, it might work for a few times, but then it will stop. It will disconnect itself and you'll have to waste more time trying to fix it.

In the meantime you could have manually uploaded your photos yourself much much quicker. Even when the auto-upload does work, we don't understand why the upload takes about 100 times longer than it should. Our wifi upload speed is very fast. We have 5G and have no problems with any other service/device. Though somehow the auto GoPro Plus upload works at snail speed. We thought it was just us, but when you search this in google there are many others who complain about the same thing. So it's a GoPro thing, not a wifi/internet connection speed issue.

If you have a problem, there's no form of written or email support whatsoever. They are happy to send you emails, but you are not able to reply to any of the emails they send you. They request you provide them with information in these emails, however you can't reply to the emails they send! They won't give you any way of contacting them other than calling their call centre. The online chat never works either so you are forced to request a call back from them every time you want to communicate with them. This means that you get someone different every time.

We signed up to Go Pro Plus and registered both our GoPro's to our membership. When one of our GoPro's stopped working, we tried to take up the "FREE Replacement" insurance offer that they advertise with the membership. This is meant to be a "no questions asked" replacement. This is a joke as they ask a lot of questions. Even when you point out to the call centre person that it's meant to be a "no questions asked" replacement, they laugh and say that there will always need to be questions asked.

Then, contrary to their advertisement, if your GoPro is no longer under warranty (ie if it's more than 2 years old) it's no longer a Free Replacement. However there is nowhere on their website or in their terms and conditions that state this. They try and tell you that there’s an Asterix that points to “fees apply” - however there is no mention anywhere on their website what those fees may be and what they could relate to. If fee’s apply for a free service, then they need to state exactly what those fees are for BEFORE people sign up for the service. It's only once you being a claim that they tell you that fees will apply. So their advertisement of a "Free Replacement" is deceptive, misleading and false.

When you request to receive an Invoice for the "Free Replacement" fees they want to charge you they tell you that they cannot send you this. They only issue Invoices once you've paid for it. That is not an invoice. That is a receipt. Like any business, we require a professional request in the form of a written invoice describing what we’re paying for before we agree to pay for anything. This is normal for any business operating anywhere in the world. They will not send you an Invoice for the "Free Replacement" fees they want to charge you, instead they try to make you pay the fee over the phone. This is not acceptable. They provide a terrible service, leave you with only one ineffective way to communicate with them, and misleadingly promote "free" services which are definitely not free. This is false advertising. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND GO PRO OR GO PRO PLUS TO ANYONE.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Bought a GoPro Silver 7 for hubby for Xmas. First time used on vacation snorkeling the lens filled with water. Never even took a picture with the thing. Called go pro who offered to send replacement as "courtesy" as it's not covered under warranty.... Ummm what? Okay fine. But replacement doesn't come with sd card. Sent pic to go pro of the sd card covered in salt from exposure due to faulty camera and they still refuse to send replacement or credit me amount to buy one. They offered 100 off a newer model... yea no. Then offered a free mount- I will still be out 25usd for a camera I don't even know won't have to same defect as first. Thank for nothing go pro. I will advise everyone against buying one of these. They will also try to upsell you to the GoPo Plus every chance they get. Sorry I ever bought this this.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Long story. Please bear with me guys... Summary: I'm ripped of my freedom as a customer and Go-Pro threw me under loss. Basically Go-Pro saying, "We will ship you camera in trade-up promotion when ever we want and you are bound to buy at that price even if there is better pricing available (because of new base price was rolled out) at same go-pro website." I'm forced to buy at older higher price of the camera.

Detailed Story: I ordered Go-Pro Hero 8 with several accessories. I opted for Trade-Up promotion. It was $100 off from its original price of $399. So I order Hero 8 on 12/8/19 for $299 (after trade-up discount). Now my wait starts.. I shipped my trade in camera (Yi 4K+ Action camera) on 12/9/19 morning. They give you shipping label which take at-least a week to deliver your trade-in camera to their warehouse. It reach on 12/13/19. Their website says they will ship with-in 14 days from the day they receive trade-in camera.

They haven't shipped the camera even today. Meanwhile I found better promotion on Go-pro.com (because they reduce the base price of the Hero8 to $345) which I wanted to go for it and cancel the trade-in order. Customer support says they can't give my trade-in camera back but they can give 25% coupon and I cannot go for any promotions available on their website. So Go-Pro customer support says I have to buy the camera at $399 price to use the coupon and I'm not allowed to buy at new base price they have $349.

I have to wait for 3+ weeks and no camera yet and I cannot opt for anything else. How pathetic it is. Customer support team do not have any knowledge additional knowledge of why my order is delayed. Nor they work towards making customer satisfied with options. This is a bad business practice and I will never gonna buy Hero/go-pro cameras ever!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I did the trade in program for a Hero 8. They received my camera 4 weeks ago, a nice older Fuji in working condition. After 3 weeks of not getting my camera or seeing any change in order status I started contacting support. Nice guys in some other country that can do nothing to help but email the factory. I have clear evidence from UPS that the preprinted label they provided and I used to ship the camera was received by Rosie. The support guy, 10 days ago says yes he sees it was received yet still no shipment of my camera. There is absolutely no way to get in touch with anyone in the US that can help. At this point they have my camera and I have nothing. I wish the camera was worth more so at least I could go after them for larceny. Right now it's petty theft from what I can tell.

I would never recommend GoPro to anyone. I am going to use my new iPhone 11 and a underwater case. The phone's camera takes better video than the GoPro anyhow. It has truly amazing video and pictures. Plus I can get to Apple anytime, anywhere and they will make it right. Shame on GoPro for such poor product support and delivery. This is indicative of a company that's in financial trouble and cutting corners. I would be ok if they said they had a supply issue and gave me a date when I would get a camera. Then I have choices, what I got was nothing. All this aggravation over a 300 dollar camera.

Ken **

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I can't give my opinion on GoPro's camera quality because my purchase never arrived. A month ago I bought from GOPRO WEBSITE a Gopro7 silver+housing+memory card for my diving holidays. The package was lost. The answer was simply: "We will refund you back". After 1 months of purchase and 1 week before my diving I won't have time to buy a new camera from a different online store. It was supposed to be 2 days shipping from Singapore to Darwin (AUS), which is really short trip (3 hours flying). Will never buy from GoPro website again. The customer service is rubbish.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I bought my camera 12 1/2 months ago and only used it 4 times. Now it's just trash. The only option GoPro has offered me was a 25% off discount off the newest model (not the one I have, which is last year's). They do not offer repairs and want you to buy a new one once yours dies. The GoPro slipped off by accident on a tile floor and I'm only 5 feet, so it only fell probably what, 3-4 feet? This camera is advertised as an action camera and can't stand something like that? The lens cracked and the touchscreen stopped working plus it has different colored lines all over it. I had a hero 5 in the past that lasted through worse, so it's really disappointing 'cause I liked these cameras for traveling but I doubt I'll be buying more in the future.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Don’t buy direct from GoPro. I ordered a Hero 8 and it was missing the battery and charge cord. Their response is: we’ll open a case and get back to you in 15 days. You can’t return it because it’s not complete. This was after 20 minutes on there chat. Wow, there satisfaction guaranteed is no good!!! So if I want to return it I have to buy a new battery and charge cord. I could wait 15 days to find out if they are going to send a battery and hope I get it before the 30 day return policy is up and hope it works.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I bought my GoPro HERO Black 7 in March of 2019, in June of 2019 it was giving me problems with an error code. I Call GoPro customer service, they stated that I probably was not using the correct SD card which is advertised on their page. I verified that I was using the correct one but they told me if it happens again to call them back. They would happily replace it for me.

I contacted them back in the beginning of October and I informed them that it was still doing the same thing. They told me to ship it in. They were kind enough to send me a UPS return label. I sent the item off and that was October 15th, unbeknownst to me it was sent UPS ground which took 7 days to get from Florida to California. I received an email on the 16th of October stating that they have not heard from me in a couple days and if they did not hear from me that my case would be closed. I immediately contacted them stating that I shipped out the defective Hero 7 and they gave me my case number which I was to use to further track the item.

I called on the 16th all the way to the 24th trying to find out where this item was. They had no answer for me except it's still in transit. I asked them politely, I have a engagement that I needed this GoPro for which it was purchased for, if they could refund me the money that I would go and buy another GoPro, they stated I was out of the refund time and it was a warranty issue. I asked for a 2 day overnight shipment which they had to put me on hold to get authorization for, they did. They sent me a shipping invoice stating that I would be getting a 2-day shipment, that was on the 24th.

It is now the 29th of October 2019 and I still have not gotten my GoPro. I have contacted the customer service line several times from the 24th through current and I have spoken with customer representative all which are based out of the Philippines. They don't have any hard phone numbers to contact anybody in the United States. All they have is an email address to which they respond to, turn around response time is 24 to 48 hours, they have no phone number to the Warehouse where the warranty program is out of, so basically they have no way of contacting GoPro except via email.

I've explained my disgust and just distaste for the company as far as their customer service, I would never recommend this product or company to anyone. I have tried calling the headquarters number that is listed on their web page, when you look through Google to try to find the phone number the phone number is disconnected. This has truly been a horrible experience, I would not recommend this company or their products to anyone. To spend over 300 dollars and have this level of customer service is just horrible.

GoPro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoPro manufactures action cameras that give amateur photographers access to professional photography angles. They are mountable and are built for versatile use in extreme conditions.

• GoPro Hero: The Hero line of GoPro cameras is the main fixture of the company. These cameras can be outfitted with a number of mounts that cater to the user’s activity.

• GoPro community: Due to GoPro’s popularity, there are a wealth of uploaded user videos and photographs to give consumers an idea of what GoPro offers. There are also numerous apps and devices that work with GoPro cameras from third-party manufacturers. GoPro’s website has a comprehensive list of these devices.

• Omni sphere array: The GoPro Omni is a spherical camera array designed to capture 360-degree footage. These spherical videos can be experienced in GoPro VR, a virtual reality program in development to work with VR headsets.

• App support: The GoPro App works with laptops and mobile devices to edit and share photos and videos as well as to control the user’s GoPro camera remotely. Other apps, like GoPro Quik and GoPro Splice, simplify the editing process for a more user-friendly experience.

• Karma drone: Currently in development is GoPro’s Karma drone. The drone will give the user access to an aerial perspective, and the device is reported to shoot footage in 4K high definition.

• Best for: GoPro is best for athletes and active users who want to record sports and other activities.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team