Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

GoPro Reviews

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Long story. Please bear with me guys... Summary: I'm ripped of my freedom as a customer and Go-Pro threw me under loss. Basically Go-Pro saying, "We will ship you camera in trade-up promotion when ever we want and you are bound to buy at that price even if there is better pricing available (because of new base price was rolled out) at same go-pro website." I'm forced to buy at older higher price of the camera.

Detailed Story: I ordered Go-Pro Hero 8 with several accessories. I opted for Trade-Up promotion. It was $100 off from its original price of $399. So I order Hero 8 on 12/8/19 for $299 (after trade-up discount). Now my wait starts.. I shipped my trade in camera (Yi 4K+ Action camera) on 12/9/19 morning. They give you shipping label which take at-least a week to deliver your trade-in camera to their warehouse. It reach on 12/13/19. Their website says they will ship with-in 14 days from the day they receive trade-in camera.

They haven't shipped the camera even today. Meanwhile I found better promotion on Go-pro.com (because they reduce the base price of the Hero8 to $345) which I wanted to go for it and cancel the trade-in order. Customer support says they can't give my trade-in camera back but they can give 25% coupon and I cannot go for any promotions available on their website. So Go-Pro customer support says I have to buy the camera at $399 price to use the coupon and I'm not allowed to buy at new base price they have $349.

I have to wait for 3+ weeks and no camera yet and I cannot opt for anything else. How pathetic it is. Customer support team do not have any knowledge additional knowledge of why my order is delayed. Nor they work towards making customer satisfied with options. This is a bad business practice and I will never gonna buy Hero/go-pro cameras ever!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I did the trade in program for a Hero 8. They received my camera 4 weeks ago, a nice older Fuji in working condition. After 3 weeks of not getting my camera or seeing any change in order status I started contacting support. Nice guys in some other country that can do nothing to help but email the factory. I have clear evidence from UPS that the preprinted label they provided and I used to ship the camera was received by Rosie. The support guy, 10 days ago says yes he sees it was received yet still no shipment of my camera. There is absolutely no way to get in touch with anyone in the US that can help. At this point they have my camera and I have nothing. I wish the camera was worth more so at least I could go after them for larceny. Right now it's petty theft from what I can tell.

I would never recommend GoPro to anyone. I am going to use my new iPhone 11 and a underwater case. The phone's camera takes better video than the GoPro anyhow. It has truly amazing video and pictures. Plus I can get to Apple anytime, anywhere and they will make it right. Shame on GoPro for such poor product support and delivery. This is indicative of a company that's in financial trouble and cutting corners. I would be ok if they said they had a supply issue and gave me a date when I would get a camera. Then I have choices, what I got was nothing. All this aggravation over a 300 dollar camera.

Ken **

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I can't give my opinion on GoPro's camera quality because my purchase never arrived. A month ago I bought from GOPRO WEBSITE a Gopro7 silver+housing+memory card for my diving holidays. The package was lost. The answer was simply: "We will refund you back". After 1 months of purchase and 1 week before my diving I won't have time to buy a new camera from a different online store. It was supposed to be 2 days shipping from Singapore to Darwin (AUS), which is really short trip (3 hours flying). Will never buy from GoPro website again. The customer service is rubbish.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I bought my camera 12 1/2 months ago and only used it 4 times. Now it's just trash. The only option GoPro has offered me was a 25% off discount off the newest model (not the one I have, which is last year's). They do not offer repairs and want you to buy a new one once yours dies. The GoPro slipped off by accident on a tile floor and I'm only 5 feet, so it only fell probably what, 3-4 feet? This camera is advertised as an action camera and can't stand something like that? The lens cracked and the touchscreen stopped working plus it has different colored lines all over it. I had a hero 5 in the past that lasted through worse, so it's really disappointing 'cause I liked these cameras for traveling but I doubt I'll be buying more in the future.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Don’t buy direct from GoPro. I ordered a Hero 8 and it was missing the battery and charge cord. Their response is: we’ll open a case and get back to you in 15 days. You can’t return it because it’s not complete. This was after 20 minutes on there chat. Wow, there satisfaction guaranteed is no good!!! So if I want to return it I have to buy a new battery and charge cord. I could wait 15 days to find out if they are going to send a battery and hope I get it before the 30 day return policy is up and hope it works.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I bought my GoPro HERO Black 7 in March of 2019, in June of 2019 it was giving me problems with an error code. I Call GoPro customer service, they stated that I probably was not using the correct SD card which is advertised on their page. I verified that I was using the correct one but they told me if it happens again to call them back. They would happily replace it for me.

I contacted them back in the beginning of October and I informed them that it was still doing the same thing. They told me to ship it in. They were kind enough to send me a UPS return label. I sent the item off and that was October 15th, unbeknownst to me it was sent UPS ground which took 7 days to get from Florida to California. I received an email on the 16th of October stating that they have not heard from me in a couple days and if they did not hear from me that my case would be closed. I immediately contacted them stating that I shipped out the defective Hero 7 and they gave me my case number which I was to use to further track the item.

I called on the 16th all the way to the 24th trying to find out where this item was. They had no answer for me except it's still in transit. I asked them politely, I have a engagement that I needed this GoPro for which it was purchased for, if they could refund me the money that I would go and buy another GoPro, they stated I was out of the refund time and it was a warranty issue. I asked for a 2 day overnight shipment which they had to put me on hold to get authorization for, they did. They sent me a shipping invoice stating that I would be getting a 2-day shipment, that was on the 24th.

It is now the 29th of October 2019 and I still have not gotten my GoPro. I have contacted the customer service line several times from the 24th through current and I have spoken with customer representative all which are based out of the Philippines. They don't have any hard phone numbers to contact anybody in the United States. All they have is an email address to which they respond to, turn around response time is 24 to 48 hours, they have no phone number to the Warehouse where the warranty program is out of, so basically they have no way of contacting GoPro except via email.

I've explained my disgust and just distaste for the company as far as their customer service, I would never recommend this product or company to anyone. I have tried calling the headquarters number that is listed on their web page, when you look through Google to try to find the phone number the phone number is disconnected. This has truly been a horrible experience, I would not recommend this company or their products to anyone. To spend over 300 dollars and have this level of customer service is just horrible.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Absolute worst customer service. I was so excited to get my GoPro two months ago, I'm a professional fisherman and couldn't wait to upgrade from the other brand camera I was using....huge mistake. Just testing the Hero 7 black in my hotel room caused the camera to overheat. Even fried the battery and shorted the connections in the camera. I bought it specifically for a big overseas tour I'm starting next week and gopro customer service is unable to get me a replace camera in time, will not compensate me for my time, can't upgrade me to a camera that doesn't have this issue, NOTHING has been done to make it right. They can't even refund my purchase because I didn't buy from their website.

I will be getting rid of the replacement camera ASAP, even if I have to throw it in the trash and I will certainly be going with another brand of action camera. There are entirely too many bugs with this camera, they should never have released it. I for one am extremely disappointed and you can bet that I'll be making an announcement to my 874,317 followers on YouTube.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I bought the Hero 7 Black at Best Buy. Took it to Maui so I could get videos and pictures of my kids. Took the camera to the pool, got some pictures and videos taken in the pool. When we went to upload pictures camera was soaked in water and camera was dead. So the whole trip I used my phone to take pictures our our Maui trip. I got back home and took camera back to Best Buy. They exchanged for me. I used the new GoPro Hero 7 Black in our swimming pool and same thing happened. Camera died from water damage. At this point I was out of the exchange and return period at Best Buy. I contacted GoPro Customer Service. He did not understand anything I was saying. Got my email incorrect, got my name incorrect, it was worthless calling them. GoPro pretty much said you are SOL. I lost $400 on this deal. Never buy a GoPro ever again. I AM SURPRISED THIS COMPANY IS STILL AROUND.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I went to the Utah State Fair rodeo. The rodeo starts at 7 so it's under the lights. I went two days in a row. The first day I forgot my GoPro and use my Samsung note 9. The next day I was excited to go try out my new GoPro. Found the perfect spot to set up shot some action. Was pretty excited. I knew that they had a fun motorcycle show at the end of the rodeo. The battery didn't last very long so I decided to wait for the motorcycle show.

The motorcycle show comes and I record the whole thing. The audio sounds phenomenal but the video's nothing but a series of blotches, skipped frames, missing parts and pieces and a complete and utter waste of my time. I have been looking for reasons both causes and settings and I found nothing satisfactory to convince me that this camera will function while I'm skiing. I have a few more days to dig into it and all I can say is thank God I bought it at Costco and it will be going back. Thank you Costco for being such an awesome store.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

The Hero7 Black is junk. Keeps freezing and disconnects the remote. The support and customer service is even worse. I am now on my 3rd Hero7 from them that does not work. GoPro refused to refund my money for the Hero7 that never worked properly so I contacted the CA Attorney Generals Office and they made Go Pro give me a refund within about 2 weeks. I suggest, if you do not have luck with Go Pro's customer service you do the same. Maybe GoPro will learn to treat their customers better. https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

GoPro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoPro manufactures action cameras that give amateur photographers access to professional photography angles. They are mountable and are built for versatile use in extreme conditions.

• GoPro Hero: The Hero line of GoPro cameras is the main fixture of the company. These cameras can be outfitted with a number of mounts that cater to the user’s activity.

• GoPro community: Due to GoPro’s popularity, there are a wealth of uploaded user videos and photographs to give consumers an idea of what GoPro offers. There are also numerous apps and devices that work with GoPro cameras from third-party manufacturers. GoPro’s website has a comprehensive list of these devices.

• Omni sphere array: The GoPro Omni is a spherical camera array designed to capture 360-degree footage. These spherical videos can be experienced in GoPro VR, a virtual reality program in development to work with VR headsets.

• App support: The GoPro App works with laptops and mobile devices to edit and share photos and videos as well as to control the user’s GoPro camera remotely. Other apps, like GoPro Quik and GoPro Splice, simplify the editing process for a more user-friendly experience.

• Karma drone: Currently in development is GoPro’s Karma drone. The drone will give the user access to an aerial perspective, and the device is reported to shoot footage in 4K high definition.

• Best for: GoPro is best for athletes and active users who want to record sports and other activities.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team