2.78/5

59 GoPro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Ordered a GoPro 7 Black, using their trade-in program to get $100 off. The promotion is really $50 off, since nobody sells for MSRP, but that's fine. Their shipping time (there and back) usually takes around 2 weeks. The day I ordered, I called and told them I was ordering the camera for an anniversary trip, wasn't sure it'd get here in time, and asked to pay to upgrade their standard "2 day air" shipping to overnight. They said, "Web orders are completely automatic and we can't change anything or do anything at all about them." I guess they use robots (that they can't control) to pack and ship their online orders.

When they finally shipped the product, they shipped it using the wrong method. The receipt had the right method, but they just decided to ship it ground. When I called back after noticing this, it was the same story - "We can't do anything. But because we used the wrong shipping method, let me see if we can do anything at all. We'll call you back." Take a guess - did they call back? No. I ended up buying from Costco, and I still haven't heard back.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My order was cancelled. The next day I placed my order. When I called they had no explanation to tell me why it was cancelled. Instead I was told to place my order again. Why would I place order again. I need to get my money back from the first one. After 4 days of waiting transaction is still pending. I was told it will take 5-10 business day for the authorization to be dropped. What kind of policy is this. The company is so quick to cancel my order but cannot release my money back to me. They are very tricky about how prices displayed.

At the end of the order your total prices will go up. Free memory card is false advertisement. They will charge you for the memory card. Plus even when you sign up for the GoPro plus you don't get the 50% off. The price mysteriously jumps back up when you are about to checkout. I would think they are a better company than this. Very deceiving company. False advertisement. 2 day UPS is false too. I lost my trust in this company. I still didn't get my money back for the cancelled order. When you call their customer service doesn't know anything. Can't believe GoPro was a shady company.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I will never do business with GoPro again. This is a scam/misleading/false advertising. My experience: On their website, the front page clearly includes all cameras include a memory card. There are no other conditions specified. No expiration, no "full priced cameras". They didn't include one. I contacted their support and they said it was just due to the system not being able to add two promotions at once, and when asked if they could get one shipped out, indicated that "yeah, we are good."

They didn't confirm the order/shipment in the follow-up email, so I reached out again, only to be fed descriptions of terms and conditions that clearly contradict the plain English advertisement on the top of their website, stating that offers can't be combined. They can't send my camera back. Claim they can't send a memory card, and offer only to allow me to return my camera. No apologies, just defensive B.S. I've issued a chargeback against GoPro and will never do business with them again. Do yourself a favor, just buy one at Costco.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I ordered through the trade up program and they received my camera yesterday. I contacted customer support yesterday and was told they had 14 days to process the order. I tried to cancel the order today and told them they could keep the camera I sent. Customer support refused to cancel my order even though they have not charged my credit card yet or shipped the camera. They say I have to pay for the camera, receive it and then return it. The customer support people say they have no ability to escalate an issue beyond their level.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought this a few months ago. Let the battery run out. Now it won’t charge or turn on no matter what I do. I’m on vacation and was hoping to get my kids getting scuba certified on video since I need to stay with the younger one. Gave up on trying to get it to work and just wanted to share a photo a room that was on the app. Can’t even do that. I’m hoping there is some alternative to GoPro because this is junk and the company helpline is junk too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?

Original review: March 26, 2019

The new GoPro Hero 7 is literally unusable. I have been fighting with the Silver unit for over 4 months trying to get it setup and just cannot. I also cannot return it to the retailer. Do not purchase one or you will be sorry.

Original review: March 25, 2019

My GoPro Hero5 became waterlogged due to a malfunction of the battery door seal, and when I called GoPro they were the most useless group of employees I've ever talked to. They continued to repeat the same sentences over and over again, with no understanding of what I was saying. They continued to say they were offering me a "special discount" but it was really the same exact discount that their trade up program offers. I have been nothing but a loyal customer of GoPro and have been extremely satisfied up to this point, and now I will be going to other companies to look for a good camera. This conversation ended with them saying they were unable to help me even after I submitted a case claim and sent my receipt from buying it and pictures of the damaged Go Pro.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I recently bought and lost my GoPro on a snowboarding trip and reached out to GoPro to explain my situation on the mounting bracket breaking on a fall I had. They were understanding and kind enough to send me a new GoPro free of charge as an exception to my situation. Exceptional customer service! I cannot be more ecstatic that they were understanding enough to help when this was outside their standard terms. I have been a member of GoPro plus for over 5 yrs and will continue to support GoPro now and forever! Thank you to the world-class support I received and folks that helped me! I will be preaching your service from the mountain tops (No pun intended)!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I bought a GoPro Hero7 White, it turned out to be a nightmare. I contacted customer service via GOPRO.COM Chat, I told them the camera did not charge and was broken. First, they wanted to send me a cable replacement, I agreed, then changed my mind, and wanted my full refund. Also, they sent me a FedEx return policy back. I am waiting for them to refund my money. Do not get this camera!!! Should have read consumer report first.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I got a brand new GoPro 7 White for my sons 9th birthday and it froze up second week of use. The customer service and new Go Pro 7 are horrible. I stayed on with the customer service representative for 3 hours the problem was not rectified. When I called customer service they said a new camera would take 3 weeks to arrive when the original item took 2 days to ship. This is the worst service and product I have ever bought. Even the supervisor was no help and said I need to waste another hour of my time to go print shipping labels to send the product back. GoPro is sending out defected products gave me no reason to be happy and did not offer any comfort for me and my son. Now my son cannot film his 9th birthday as planned and we're at a loss for words. Go screw yourself GoPro and we will never buy another product from this company!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I fell into the tradeup program trap as well. The fine print says 14-days from receiving the old camera to shipping out the new. Well, now it has been 25 days and two calls to customer service has not helped at all.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Don't fall for the Free SD card on ALL cameras... NOT TRUE if you use the trade up program. This was not clear and now after waiting all this time for the camera to arrive I can't use it until I go out and buy an SD card.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Looks like I am not alone. I purchased a GoPro 7 black using the "upgrade". Their website states that buy any camera and you will receive an SD card with your camera. Well you don't. It seems you have to hunt around on their website to find the "fine print." The customer service is poor also. The camera I received you could not open the battery door, so I was told to send everything back. I did, and what I received was a camera, just the camera... No battery, harness,etc... Just the camera... By the way the 2 day shipping, takes about a week!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

This is in regards to my order **. Using the Trade Up program, I sent in my GoPro Hero 5 Black which was still in good condition, to upgrade to the GoPro Hero 7 for $100 off. Everything was fine until FedEx got involved when delivering my GoPro Hero 7. They delivered to "apartment office" and was signed by "M. **." I checked with the two apartment offices in my area and neither of them accept packages for their tenants and haven't done so in over a year. On top of that, I do not know anybody by the name of "M. **." Those are two red flags that the package wasn't delivered properly or the FedEx carrier just pocketed it - who knows.

02/23/2019 I called GoPro to inquire what to do. They told me to get a Tracer ID on the package from FedEx which I did. After getting off the phone with FedEx, they called me back from the claims department, apologized for losing the package and told me to inform the shipper that it was not my fault and to file a claim in their department for losses. The person I spoke with on GoPro was very nice, I gave her the Tracer ID and she said that she will personally look into the case for me. She said they will initiate an investigation with FedEx and she will get back to me in 24-48 hours.

02/28/2019 Giving ample time for GoPro to investigate, I still did not hear back from GoPro so I called them again. They told me since it was signed for they are unable to grant me a refund or do a reshipment. They also will not return my GoPro that I initially sent in. I told them to figure out another solution because that is completely unacceptable and very poor customer service. After 40 minutes of talking, they informed me to file a dispute with my bank on the charges to get a refund. And once that is done, I call them back and order directly from them the Hero 7 and they will honor the $100 off.

I asked him if they are just making empty promises. It doesn't make sense if they refuse to issue a refund, when I get my bank involved to dispute the charge, they can just kick it back anytime. I told him FedEx have accepted responsibility for losing the package and yet they don't believe that I really did not receive it. He told me that they changed their carrier to UPS last week and I don't even know if I believe him. I have filed a dispute of charges with my bank. Your move GoPro, you have to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my 77 Years. I entered into a deal for a camera trade up. They billed wrong amount. Too Much. Call customer service Manilla - won't give USA phone no, can hardly understand - Spent at least 5 hours on phone trying to resolve problem. They Asked 5 different times for credit card info, Double Billed. Finally had to cancel card and file a fraud Complaint -- Deal with at your own risk. When I asked For my camera back they had me shipped to them and a refund they refused on both accounts.

The only reason I gave them 1 Star rating is that They don't Have anything worse -- Still trying to get my credit card account back in order and new card. Try and get a USA phone number is impossible. Finally got a refund but I was $100 short, Don't know if I will ever see it. Can't talk to anyone but idiots in Manilla and all they do is tell you, they don't handle that - is handled by a different department, but then, in very broken English won't give you any other number to call.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I recently called GoPro to ask some questions about the Hero 7 black camera. I had a Hero 3+ that I used to shoot underwater while diving and was considering upgrading. The man I spoke with on the phone didn't seem to know what he was doing but was able to look things up. He assumed I was going to purchase and proceeded to ask me questions about ordering. I decided to go ahead and place an order; a decision I now regret. He couldn't figure out how to place the order and it took approx. 1 hr. Then the camera arrived and there was a hole in the plastic packaging case and it was missing a user manual. I suspect it was one that someone else had returned. There was also no SD card. Their website that I was looking at while placing the order clearly said a free SD card with all orders. I called to complain and got someone who began to read a script to me.

She kept repeating it telling me an SD card was not included. I asked for a supervisor and she began to talk over me not listening to anything I was saying. She kept teling me a supervisor was just going to tell me the same thing. I finally got angry and demanded she connect me to a supervisor. She put me on hold and came back after 5-10 minutes to inform me her supervisor had gone home and there was nobody else I could talk to. UNBELIEVABLE! So I wrote a complaint on their feedback page on the website requesting a response. 10 days have passed and NO RESPONSE. Worst customer relations experience of my life. As others have said, do yourself a favor and give your business to another company; any other company!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered a GoPro on December 19th. My son has yet to receive it. I call GoPro multiple times and keep getting the runaround. ABSOLUTE customer service. I paid $400 for the GoPro 7 and have nothing to show for it!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

First I could not get the camera to pair with my computer. After spending 2 hours on the phone realized that the page had taken my phone nickname and used it as my email address (this can not be changed) so I had to create another account using my wife's email. Then could not get past the verification page. Would not get past this part so I cannot watch video even on my phone until I get an HDMI cable. They just do not listen. No matter what they tell you they just repeat like you're an idiot. So now I have a camera that I cannot use or view the video almost 4 hours and 3 phone calls later.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

10 days going back and forth telling us that they send to UPS for deliver but UPS say they didn't receive anything, calling them twice daily - it's so unprofessional.

Then to top it all off - they tell you for a refund it takes up to 14 working days!! What the hell is this company. All workers say different things - the company is in bits! Do not bother!!! Buy from another website! Avoid at all times. Melanie & Jelo offer the worst customer service ever!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

On June 29 2018 I purchased a new GoPro Karma package with Hero6. On 10 27 the drone went crazy and dropped in the lake. My wife filed the paperwork on the claim and we have been put off now for weeks with excuses. Today they say they don’t see why it crashed and will not cover it. This is nothing more than a scam. They take your money but do not cover your losses. I will be contacting our state's Attorney general. Do yourself a favor, buy a different brand!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I still have the warranty for my GoPro Karma drone. There is an issue with my battery and I simply cannot turn on the device due to that. When I had a chat with GoPro, they are stating that they cannot send me the battery due to restrictions in Asia. We have GoPro retailers as well in Sri Lanka. They say that they cannot do anything about this? Even I cannot order it online. What am I suppose to do? Throw away the drone due to some battery technical issue while I still haven't used it not more than 10 times. What is the purpose of my warranty? I'm really disappointed on GoPro being a such big company and not being able to solve this issue for me. All my money on this drone is wasted. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with situation.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I ordered GoPro Hero 7 Silver on 10/31/2018. The total was $124.49 with the trade up program and coupon code. I sent my digital camera for the trade up program. After few days the status changed to shipped and they charged me $217. I called them why they charged me $217 and they replied this is the price it should be. I told them I have the email and screenshot of the order which clearly say $124.49 and they said, "we cannot do anything." I told them, "If you cannot honor the price I ordered the camera then I will be returning it." And they said, "Ok return it but we will be not sending your digital camera which you sent for the trade-up." Now I have lost my digital camera which I had bought for $150 year ago and they are not honoring the price on which I ordered the GoPro camera. I have never had this experience with any other company. I will never be ordering anything from GoPro again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Where to start! Parcel was lost by UPS and no one care to do anything about it! I had to call GoPro support line 2x a day to get an update and kept hearing "it's under review" which is really frustrating when you have almost £300 to be reimbursed and no gift for my bf bday -> so no money, no gift and an horrible customer service that didn't care about my issue. Also the support line is only available until 5 pm UK time - a joke when compared with the 24h from other websites. I haven't tested the product yet. (Hopefully one day the parcel will be delivered!) But honestly cannot recommend their helpline or sales. I am not sure why I didn't order from Amazon, where I know it always works (Prime is amazing!) and the customer services is really good!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had a bad experience with my GoPro Hero 6. It go water in the battery compartment at the first encounter with the water. The customer service sent me a replacement camera. It takes like 3 weeks to get it. Then noticed that this camera was defective, the video would record making weird lines. Called and they sent me a second replacement. Long story short... The third replacement camera is also defective, and I'm still dealing with customer service. They won't issue a refund and all replacement cameras are of an awful quality. Take good care of your original camera. It is not waterproof.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a GoPro Hero 6 Black and 3 additional accessories. Their website stated that all GoPro Camera's include an SD Card, which I never received. After calling their customer service, they said that since I used my Student Discount, I was not eligible to receive an SD card. Not the end of the world, but this is my first bad experience with GoPro. I was now stuck with the task of trying to figure out the largest SD card available that was compatible with my GoPro Hero 6. After doing some research and found the information I was looking for, I ended up ordering 2 128GB SD cards from Amazon.

While I was awaiting the arrival of my SD card order from Amazon, I realized that I needed a case and some extra batteries for when I travel, along with some other accessories that I found on the GoPro website. I proceeded to place my order and went to use my Student Discount, the GoPro website kept rejecting my discount code. After 2 days of this, I made a call to GoPro Support, who blamed it on the UNiDAYS company who is providing the discount codes. I then contacted UNiDAYS, which also led to a dead end. Absolutely a big waste of my time. This was the 2nd bad experience.

If GoPro and UNiDAYS can't help me on 2 simple matters, I thought to myself, what would happen if I have a technical problem or a defective camera? I didn't want to find out, so I returned the camera and 3 unopened accessories (Large Tube Mount, Seatpost Mount and 3-Way Grip Arm Tripod) based on their 30-day, No Questions Asked return policy.

You would think at this point, I would simply return the camera and accessories for a full refund, right? No way. I boxed up all the items into 1 box and returned the complete order. The camera box was the only thing opened, but never actually used it, however it was packed exactly as I received it. The 3 accessory boxes were never opened and were put in the same box as the camera and shipped back complete with their Pre-Paid FedEx shipping label, which made it real easy.

Several days later, I receive an email stating that the only thing in the box was the camera and they are still waiting for me to return the 3 accessories. I've made 3 calls to GoPro over 3 days and I still have not heard back from them with a resolution. I have attempted to call GoPro in California as well as the returns warehouse in California (Moduslink), both phone numbers are disconnected.

I don't recall ever having to deal with such a horrible, unethical company in all my life. I would strongly recommend against buying anything from GoPro due to my 3 bad experiences and multiple phone calls, all in less than 30 days time, and all leading to nothing being done to help me. I had to call my credit card company to get my money back.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Bought a GoPro 5 Pro. First use under and water leaked into the camera. Found plenty of same issues on Internet and a friend of mine had exactly same problem. Some series must be faulty and Quality check must fails at GoPro. Support is doing nothing to help me. Just trying to say it's your fault. Goodbye GoPro. Next time I will buy other brand.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I called GoPro to verify the external mic adapter used for other cameras would work on Fusion. Customer service asked if I owned any other GoPros and I explained I had all versions from 2-5. I was told that my case # could be used as a promo code of $100 off if I traded in one of my GPs. Having done research I was excited to get a discount off the current price of $599. Amazon, Best Buy and GoPro all selling for that price.

I entered my case # at checkout and I got an invalid promo code error. So I called customer support. After waiting for 10 minutes I was told the discount was off the $699 price. So I could order by phone and get the Fusion for $599. But the customer service rep told me I should order online at $599 because I would get the 2 free SD cards. He said it was a better deal. And he said they could not allow the discount on the current $599 price. So I went back online and discovered the trade-in program. That also allows a discount only on the $699 price. So if you trade in a camera or if you don't the price of the Fusion is $599. GoPro even with all of the software rendering problems people like me were still willing to purchase the Fusion. And I was excited to get a discount hoping the software issues would be resolved. But now that I realize how slimy your promotions are I will purchase an Insta or Garmin. Anything but a GoPro.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I paid 199$ for GoPro care insurance for Karma Hero5 bundle, it’s advertised as “you break it we replace it”. I filed a claim due to a crash with a tree limb and subsequent dip in the water. My fault, I explained all the details to an online chat with GoPro care. I then went thru a solid 2 hours of step by step occurrence description, weather that day, regurgitated all the serial numbers, was asked the same questions repeatedly, asked to perform troubleshooting measures that any knucklehead would know couldn’t be performed. I dunked the Karma, camera, stabilizer. Everything was fried... I Had to send all my flight logs, take photos of each individual part, resend all serial numbers (I sent all of these serial numbers in when I registered the warranty). It was just cumbersome and not anywhere as easy as advertised.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I never submit reviews but this needs to be published. On July 4, I ordered a GoPro Session 5 from Gopro.com with express shipping (1-2 working days within EU). Long story short, the shipment was either not handed over to courier or lost by them, either way it's now 31 August and I still haven't gotten a refund from GoPro. Their support is very superficial and tells me the money will arrive 'soon'. If you order from their site, be ready to wait for a long time - their support people are not very competent and looks like they just don't care about their customers. Also, they have false advertisement (free shipping within EU) on their site which doesn't apply to your order. Another company who is just trying to sell as much product as possible. Overall experience: 1 out of 5.

Original review: July 11, 2018

GoPro equipment is pretty good, GoPro insurance really stinks. Have spent hour after hour and still no replacement. Provided serial numbers that were registered and they said no record, it took a supervisor to finally admit they had it all along. Passed from one rep to another, lots of broken promises. I am a pro shooter and purchased the insurance for a reason. We had to spend 2 weeks getting a claim "sort of" approved and then find out it will take two weeks to get a shipment out for the new equipment -- not acceptable. DO NOT BUY THIS PROTECTION PLAN!!

GoPro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoPro manufactures action cameras that give amateur photographers access to professional photography angles. They are mountable and are built for versatile use in extreme conditions.

• GoPro Hero: The Hero line of GoPro cameras is the main fixture of the company. These cameras can be outfitted with a number of mounts that cater to the user’s activity.

• GoPro community: Due to GoPro’s popularity, there are a wealth of uploaded user videos and photographs to give consumers an idea of what GoPro offers. There are also numerous apps and devices that work with GoPro cameras from third-party manufacturers. GoPro’s website has a comprehensive list of these devices.

• Omni sphere array: The GoPro Omni is a spherical camera array designed to capture 360-degree footage. These spherical videos can be experienced in GoPro VR, a virtual reality program in development to work with VR headsets.

• App support: The GoPro App works with laptops and mobile devices to edit and share photos and videos as well as to control the user’s GoPro camera remotely. Other apps, like GoPro Quik and GoPro Splice, simplify the editing process for a more user-friendly experience.

• Karma drone: Currently in development is GoPro’s Karma drone. The drone will give the user access to an aerial perspective, and the device is reported to shoot footage in 4K high definition.

• Best for: GoPro is best for athletes and active users who want to record sports and other activities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs