Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

GoPro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

My GoPRO7 Black stopped working after only a month of usage. I contacted the support in August 2019 to get a replacement. The agent made me test the product and then send a shipping label to return my camera without the battery. I never got any news about the good reception of the camera or update about the processing of this return. Since their phone support was unreachable during Covid, I attempt to contact them by email (by replying to the agent who took care of my case) 6 times, every month, for 6 months. I NEVER GOT ANY RESPONSE FROM THEM. Then I finally got someone on the chat and they told them they send me the replacement.

Note: I NEVER RECEIVE THE TRACKING NUMBER of the replacement device or any other updates about it during all this time. Since the case is too old for them, and their tracking number is expired they don't want to replace the device I SENT TO THEM! This is purely a thief... GOPRO customer service is worse I have seen! They have no customer assistance, their replacement process is a joke and they are not willing to assist you when they are at fault.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Very poor customer service experience. Rock bottom client care, I would say (comparing to other vendors). I have never received an email with the order confirmation, despite 4 conversations with Customer Service and my request to forward it to me. Mistakes in documents delayed dispatch by 4 days. Delivery is already late by 5 days, and I am receiving calls from the courier company regarding documentation and customs. Note, that I already covered all customs and fees when I paid GoPro for the purchase.

Customer service chat works only sporadically and disconnects, call back are delayed days and representatives, however well-intended, are completely ignorant about the matter. So the conversation is always starting from the beginning and goes circular. Promises are made and not delivered. I demanded the refund of the express delivery charges, as this saga is no way the "express" experience. I will see if the refund arrives, and if it does not, I will dispute the fee through the PayPal dispute center. Do not buy GoPro online, they do not know what they are doing in on-line world. Buy from your local retailer. If you ever need customer service - you will be left in the darkness... :)

Get buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Purchased a GoPro Hero 17 May 2018, (comes with two year warranty), product was faulty. Issue with the battery. Contacted GoPro and they replaced with what they told me was an upgrade to a GoPro Hero Black, what transpired is that this was not a new model but a refurbished model! Which when received was scratched and dirty and dust under the lens’. Had I known at the time they were sending refurbished models I would have refused and requested refund. Email trail of the replacements shows these would also have a two year warranty from date of receipt.

There is still an issue with the GoPro which GoPro are refusing to replace despite it still being within the two year period from receipt. There have been several emails/web chats between them and myself. Because of covid-19 they are not taking or returning any telephone calls. I am a 70 year old pensioner who has learning difficulties so not talking direct to resolve has been difficult. Finally thought it was resolved and they would be sending me a new GoPro however they then changed their mind and are saying it is not under the two year warranty because it starts from original order date, contradicting my previous email reassurances. They have instead offered a 25% discount off a new purchase of a Go Pro! Why would I spending my state pension on a new product from them under the circumstances.

I have supplied them with original invoice, (after they decided me ever purchasing from them), and copies of the emails to support what I have been told and am telling them. I have tried to leave poor feedback on social media sites and they immediately remove it, so instead of actually spending time to resolve the complaint and stick to their emails for replacement they must have a team sitting somewhere removing any bad feedback!

Original review: July 28, 2020

I am not an early adapter, but I do get interested early. I let companies perfect their products over time and then buy. GoPro has been around 18 yrs. With GoPro I went all in recently. I'm not impressed. Marketing is strong, but the product is only just mediocre. I went all in buying the Hero8 Bundle, Media Mod, Dual Battery Charger + Battery, Protective Housing, Sleeve + Lanyard, The Handler, 3-Way Grip Arm Tripod, Rollcage, and Tempered Glass Lens. $$$

First the packaging: The waste on the inside is more than any other product I can think of. Each product piece is wrapped and folding into pocket after pocket of cardboard. Next the thumbscrew: A universal mounting system already existed. I originally thought this mounting idea would flop, but they persisted. And persisted. It's a flop. It is already causing problems with the product design. It is clearly in the way of the media mod making it difficult to tighten with the mod on. Forget about swapping out the camera using the thumbscrew in a challenging situation. You'll drop it or lose it since it isn't tethered. It's an inferior design, and it's their signature.

And the Mod: You can barely tighten the camera onto the mount since the thumbscrew is clumsily designed. The mod is limited by thumbscrew and flows around it. It is difficult to reach the camera's "folding fingers" while the mod is attached. Removing the mod requires the thumbscrew removal. The mod adds about 50% to the size of the camera with an unnecessary full wrap design. The actual camera door flap becomes an accessory to be stowed away when using the mod. It's a puzzle and all in signature GoPro miniature. The mod adds a little amount of tech for a larger, non waterproof version.

The battery: This one is upsetting. It drains quickly. There is no wireless charging, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if the camera wasn't waterproof. The scenario of using the camera in water and charging/swapping the battery in a wet area does not exist. Which is very, very limiting of the waterproof design. The sleeves, etc.: These all fit well and do their job. Except for the tempered glass. It isn't flat so the edges curl up. Something I have not seen before, but certainly inferior quality.

I won't get into the tech side of the camera. I will say it is average with the limitations of a digital lens. Overall, the convenience of wireless charging could save the Hero as is along with reduced packaging waste. But it will always be limited because of the thumbscrew mount design. Always. There is just no way around that poor, unyielding design. Would I buy this had I known this? No. I would have looked for a less modular design using more standard practices for waterproof charging.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My son used this item, which is an OFFICIAL GOPRO accessory, and within 5 minutes of first use his brand new HERO8 was at the bottom of the lake. The new design of this item has the user slide the camera with mount attached into a "slot". Well my son's camera slid right out of that slot into the lake in front of our eyes. The accessory caused the loss of $400 camera and after over 5 HOURS over 2 days dealing with GoPro, they refused to do anything to help in this matter. Of course, I returned the "handler" to Amazon for refund, but GoPro offered me a mere 25% to replace the camera purchased only 30 days ago. However, I paid $299 on a promotion, which they still offer, and expected the 25% to be off the price I paid, which would only make sense. Plus I had to overnight a replacement for an additional $25 shipping.

GOPRO TOLD ME THEIR 25% OFF OFFER WAS ONLY ON MSRP WHICH WAS $399. So in the end, they expected me to pay even more than I originally paid to replace a camera due to a faulty OFFICIAL GoPro accessory. HORRIBLE COMPANY. And waste of time on my end to even try to reason with them and be fair. If you look at the prior version of this accessory, the camera mount screwed directly into the handler. Much more secure than this slide in new revised option for the HERO8 which has proved faulty in many ways through many customers.

I recommend you shop non-official GoPro products and do not purchase through GoPro since they offer no accountability for their products when their accessories fail. So I will now be paying over twice what I did initially to correct this matter so my son can actually have his birthday gift. GoPro should be ashamed. Side note, the camera with mount was attached to a different accessory which also was a "slide in" option that stuck to the windshield of the boat. This endured a fast paced 10 minutes boat ride while filming with no issue at all, which further proves that the mount was installed securely on the camera and that the Floaty Handler was to blame for the loss, Again, GoPro could really care less about any facts and does not value the honesty of their customers.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I do this review to alert everyone who does not buy the GoPro camera on the company's website! They trick you with different promotions that don't make sense and don't deliver the products they claim to contain in the package displayed on the website. See, I bought a GoPro Hero8 black in trade-in with my old GoPro4 camera to get a $100.00 discount! After placing the order and sending my camera, the delivery time for the new camera was 15 days! I only received the Hero8 black camera without the battery and the 32gb SD card that were free on the website. The price paid was $299.99 + tax, totaling $319.49! Immediately I saw on the Amazon and Ebay website that the same camera without the need for trade-in and with battery and SD card of 64gb was for $299.00 including taxes and shipping!

I was disgusted and turned on the GoPro and returned the camera and requested a refund! However, my camera sent in trade-in never returned and said that they could not return due to the GoPro rule. A fake company, which puts false promotions on the website and confuses the customer, where support is terrible on the phone! Stay tuned, don't buy from GoPro, an unreliable company!

Original review: June 19, 2020

So....just found out that even though the service for GoPro Plus, which is a monthly cost of around $5 dollars and they say that there are no questions asked, they are charging me an extra $40 for some BS they are saying for processing. Now, if they had reached out to me and told me this was the case...I wouldn't have been happy but would have known before I just saw a charge added. Do not get this program and hope that your GoPro doesn't have issues like mine, which actually started from the beginning which is another story in itself. Stay away and do not buy a GoPro! So far very, very dissatisfied in this product, customer service and generally overall.

Original review: June 17, 2020

GoPro! Do not Buy from their website, they are a bunch of cheaters and liars. I tried to cancel my order because they could not deliver what was promised. They do not cancel orders and their customer service is less than ZERO. After a week of waiting for my paid 2 day delivery with GoPro, I called customer service and asked where my product was. I was on hold for 30 minutes before they told me that it was in their warehouse but they do not have a memory chip as part of the package. I informed them that I needed it right away, which is why I PAID for expedited service!

They told me they couldn't cancel my order because it was ready for shipping! First LIE. They just told me it was in their warehouse. They told me that Customer Service would be escalated and they would return to me in 48 hours. Second LIE. I was not contacted, I was emailed 3 days later! They told me on that email that the item was shipped! Third Lie! The item was not even picked up by UPS until another 2 days later! I have the tracking you idiots! And today, almost 2 full weeks after I tried to buy it online, they Charged Me, TODAY, so they have been holding onto my credit card information this whole time!

If you must buy a GoPro, get it from BestBuy, they have it in store, and will curbside pick-up. And if somethings wrong, you can return it or cancel the order! Do not use GoPro.com. And by the way, They are Rated a D- on the BBB (Better Business Bureau), all complaints on there, for the same reason as above!

Original review: June 16, 2020

I placed an order on GoPro for a gooseneck and jaws. I used my credit card to make the purchase. As I was travelling and the delivery date was extended past my departure date I contacted GoPro and cancelled the order. I received an email confirming the cancellation. Perfect. Thank you GoPro. Two days later I was advised by email that your order has been shipped by UPS. I received notification that the parcel would be delivered within 2 days. I postponed my departure to be sure I could get the parcel. On the due date UPS informed me that the parcel was delivered. However, when I went to pick it up no parcel had been delivered.

GoPro debited my account, so, now no goods and no money. My complaint to GoPro customer service was a total waste of time. They advised that as the goods had been shipped my argument was with UPS and not GoPro. They apologised for the problem their warehouse had caused but refused a credit unless I sent them back the now missing goods. They refused to chase up UPS and said it was my job. All their excuses were contrary to the clear product return policy stated on their website. Please be careful if you plan to buy from GoPro as their after sales service is non-existent. I will buy through Amazon in future, at least they support their customers.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I wanted to give my son the newest Hero8 so I decided to trade up my Hero5, barely used it, maybe three or four times at the most, so I embarked in the process and GoPro asked me to send it in and once they receive it they will take up to 14 days to send me the new one, Hero8 going for $399 - $100 for the trade up, I would end up paying $299. I thought it was ok since I really don't use it and would be a nice present for my son.

Yesterday, 06/07, I walked into a Costco and they have a GoPro Hero8 Bundle for sale at $289, I can buy the same and more for less money and keep my Hero5, I have been all day on the phone with GoPro, they're saying they're not returning my Hero5 even if I cancel the order and even if I put a stop through my bank, they haven't charged anything to my credit card yet so legally speaking, a transaction hasn't taken place.... GoPro is basically stealing my camera. Nothing was resolved so I have reached out to the CA State Attorney Office and they will be reaching out to GoPro on my behalf.... Sad a company like GoPro is becoming part of history.

GoPro author review by ConsumerAffairs

GoPro manufactures action cameras that give amateur photographers access to professional photography angles. They are mountable and are built for versatile use in extreme conditions.

• GoPro Hero: The Hero line of GoPro cameras is the main fixture of the company. These cameras can be outfitted with a number of mounts that cater to the user’s activity.

• GoPro community: Due to GoPro’s popularity, there are a wealth of uploaded user videos and photographs to give consumers an idea of what GoPro offers. There are also numerous apps and devices that work with GoPro cameras from third-party manufacturers. GoPro’s website has a comprehensive list of these devices.

• Omni sphere array: The GoPro Omni is a spherical camera array designed to capture 360-degree footage. These spherical videos can be experienced in GoPro VR, a virtual reality program in development to work with VR headsets.

• App support: The GoPro App works with laptops and mobile devices to edit and share photos and videos as well as to control the user’s GoPro camera remotely. Other apps, like GoPro Quik and GoPro Splice, simplify the editing process for a more user-friendly experience.

• Karma drone: Currently in development is GoPro’s Karma drone. The drone will give the user access to an aerial perspective, and the device is reported to shoot footage in 4K high definition.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team