GoPro

Compare Camera Brands

Research top Camera Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I love how GoPro continues to promote their cameras being used in these beautiful and remote places. GoPro updated their remote app for controlling the camera with a new app called Capture. GoPro requires a login that they claim only needs entered every 30 days. Unfortunately, if the app updates in the background on your smartphone or you are logged out, you can't use the app to tether to the camera from your phone. Forget to login before your trip, you won't be able to use the App. There is no bypass when there is no internet.

I bought my GoPro specifically for the tethering capabilities. I owned previous models, but tethering was a significant reason to upgrade. Why is this significant? Nick Woodman says this about product upgrades. "Our approach is to envision a "total solution" rather than think about each new GoPro as a "product". Products are standalone things. We want to build solutions that help solve problems for people. So, when deciding which features to included in a new GoPro, Karma, or any new software we think about the total solution and experience we're creating for our customers and not as much about the individual product itself." --Nick Woodman (Reddit)

I specifically bought my GoPro to use my smartphone as a tether almost a year ago, worked until the new app. GoPro didn't respond to support requests for over a week, when they did it was a scripted, rushed, and inadequate. GoPro's support community forums are moderated with scripted generic responses. Phone support is better, they at least seem frustrated and knowledgeable to a large number of people complaining about the required login. Check the App Store, Facebook comments, user forums, and product reviews. GoPro has alienated their customer base with the new app.

In the month since, I haven't held back trying to have a dialog with GoPro. The moderators on The GoPro community forums provided this statement. "GoPro made the decision to require the login as it will help us better gauge how our customers use our products, and allow us to identify pain points customers may have so we can improve our future products." Here's a pain point. Users can't use the tether capabilities if they forget to login or have a login issue. As further response, Customer Service said "Capture isn't the only app that exists that requires login."

Why is this an issue for me? I was out capturing the fall color in the Eastern Sierras of California a month ago. I was planning on filming using my go pro mounted on the hood. Before pulling into traffic I went to enable the camera and realized my GoPro App had disappeared. Thankfully I had internet, so I discovered the app changed names. The app came up in my search and when I opened the app, it looked all nice and new, but there was something new, a login. I wasn't sure what to enter but my general GoPro username/password from the website logged me in with no issues and I was good to go. I figured this was a one-time login, but the the nightmare comes later...

I used the app for a couple days, returned home before heading out for the next leg of my fall color trip. Without my knowledge, the app updated again and logged me out. So 6 days later when I reached my second destination and prepared my GoPro to use my smartphone as a remote tether on my 28' Photomast, I discovered the login screen returned. I spent the next hour troubleshooting and looking all through the settings, clicking on all the words in the app, everything I could think of to bypass the login. My shot was missed, I had to pack up with no footage. The next day I had to drive back towards civilization to find a cellular connection to login once again. For the remainder of the trip the GoPro worked fine.

What do I want? I want GoPro to remove the login to the Capture app or provide the old app for existing customers who bought into Nick Woodman's full package deal a year ago. It is a matter of principle, I should have to remember to login to an app to use a tool on in the field. Imagine if you will, bringing survival tools on an expedition to find you can't use it because whatever the tool you brought doesn't work as they require a login. If I could get internet access, I'd have access to help. It makes no sense.

Over all my experience with this product was pretty good! Now $500 can be a little steep as far as the amount of money being spent, but I have to say it was quite worth it. The camera has great qualities, for example when shot in 1080p it has a great picture, and the fact that you can change between 30, 60, and 120 fps can really help when filming. Also when shooting at 120 fps the slow motion videos don't look too bad. Now in order to get your videos in slow motion, that requires any kind of video editing app they will be able to do that editing for you.

One thing that does irritate me a little is the battery life. If you continuously film from when you put the battery in until it dies, you`ll probably get at least 1 hour to about an hour and a half of filming in before it dies. If not filming continuously then you`ll most likely get about an hour and a half to two and a half hours roughly. The one major downside that I have experienced is the Wi-Fi. For me it took the camera about 6 months from when I bought it for the Wi-Fi to completely stop working. Now I can still use the camera, everything else works fine, but I can't connect to the "GoPro App", nor can I connect to different devices through Wi-Fi, but other than that this is a good camera for action purposes.

GoPro has a very nice performance. I mainly use it by putting it on my helmet and recording myself do bike tricks. One of the premium options on the market. I think that the price is a considerable amount based on its performance. From my experience there isn't a cheaper option on the market that can come close to the performance of the GoPro. To me it looks like a high quality, well built camera. It isn't about the looks. Just like the saying don't judge a book by its cover. I personally have the Hero4 GoPro and I think it is a decent size. I don't think they can make it any smaller and have it still perform as good as it does.

It worked just like I said it would and the quality of the picture was outstanding. It was better than I thought it would record and we have told all of our friends and family. It was a little high in price but it was worth it in the end. If the price does goes down however I would like to own another one for another child and I would buy and give for gifts. It looks classy and it's not too big and bulky. Would be nice if they could make it a little smaller so it doesn't get knocked off as easy. I think they could make the Gopro a lot smaller. This one is ok but a smaller one would be better for all uses. It does kind of stick up too high on dirt bike helmets.

The camera was awesome to use. The experience was a lot of fun. I like exploring so the camera was great to use during my trips. I love to keep my memories. The cost was great for the type of camera it is. I really enjoyed using the camera. I like keeping the memories. And the cost was amazing. The appearance of the camera was sleek and lovely. I like carrying it around. And I love to take pictures in public. The people comment a lot on it. The size was good. Loved it. Couldn't ask for better. It is small. Easy to carry around. Thanks a lot! BEST CAMERA EVER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoPro?

I'm a big time snowboarder and I always try to explain to people how it feels to snowboard and what I do and ever since GoPro came out and I was able to buy one I now can share all my videos online with friends and family. It is awesome. When GoPros first came out is when I purchased mine and they were the first of its kind so it was a little spendy but it was well worth it and I would buy another one even if it was more expensive. I love how convenient it is, how small it is, the carrying device that came with it and how durable it is. You could not ask for a better product. I had mine for 5 & a half years now. Like I said before it is so convenient and small you can bring it anywhere with you. It doesn't take up a bunch of space. It's not heavy to be caring it around everywhere. You don't even know this is there but it comes in handy so many different times.

I would recommend this brand especially when you want to video record your adventures. Be it land, water or air, gopro is perfect for it. Always high quality and not shaky. I would recommend this base on value. Although it is a little expensive, it is truly worth the price. Quality product and features are amazing. I would recommend this based on appearance. It is very handy which allows you to carry it lightly and conveniently wherever you go. I like how small it is yet delivers a very good quality. Sizewise I would recommend GoPro. It is perfect to bring on any adventures you'll be doing in your life. Very handy and easy to carry and store.

It is simple and easy to use with no big amount of buttons to try to figure out and takes high quality pictures. I use it for outdoors and it is very durable. It costs about what you would think something like this should cost but some stores are cheaper than others so people needs to shop around. It look fine for what it is. Small and compact and very easy to keep up with. Most people would like something like this item. Even small children can use it, and it works very well.

When you use the video it's like you are watching it in real life. The picture is crystal clear. It's like you are watching the event happening right then. The video is worth what you pay for it. It has the clear picture and sound for everyone to watch the stuff like they are there where it happened. It's small enough to carry and hold in your hand easy and can play on any tv. The color is good. Anyone can use it enough if they have a large or small hand. The screen is big enough to watch.

The GoPro is good. I like how it works. I like how it functions. It takes good pictures. And it is a good price for the GoPro. The GoPro has had great reviews on it. Family has liked it. The value of the GoPro is great. The go pro has a good flash. The appearance of the GoPro is awesome. It looks stylish and the color of it is good. Lots of people have it and they say it is a nice pretty stylish GoPro. I like the size of the GoPro. It is small enough to fit in a purse and it is easy to handle. Not big at all. The size of it is fancy to use anywhere.

It works fantastic. It is easy to use and has a great lens. The recording and video is vivid and has an excellent picture. It works great for on-the-move activity. I would highly recommend any GoPro camera. It is a fantastic way to capture live action and memories. It is a way to share experiences. The appearance is great. It is small enough to mount. It is comfortable to wear while on the go. There are so many accessories to make it a perfect fit. The size is just right. It doesn't get in the way of activity. It fits nicely in place and it is like it isn't even there. I think the size is perfect.

Great performance in such small package. Will likely outlast most people! It will continue to last as long as possible. Charging is just a breeze if you do manage to go longer! The best on the market for the price! Absolutely no alternative in the industry. With its sleek design and performance you won't look further than the GoPro. Its small and modern design will never go unnoticed. Several accessories are available to give it your own personal touch to make it stand out even more! Be careful! This device is small but durable! You will be able to fit this in the most coziest of places. With its industrial design it may even add to your style!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GoPro manufactures action cameras that give amateur photographers access to professional photography angles. They are mountable and are built for versatile use in extreme conditions.

• GoPro Hero: The Hero line of GoPro cameras is the main fixture of the company. These cameras can be outfitted with a number of mounts that cater to the user’s activity.
  • GoPro community: Due to GoPro’s popularity, there are a wealth of uploaded user videos and photographs to give consumers an idea of what GoPro offers. There are also numerous apps and devices that work with GoPro cameras from third-party manufacturers. GoPro’s website has a comprehensive list of these devices.
  • Omni sphere array: The GoPro Omni is a spherical camera array designed to capture 360-degree footage. These spherical videos can be experienced in GoPro VR, a virtual reality program in development to work with VR headsets.
  • App support: The GoPro App works with laptops and mobile devices to edit and share photos and videos as well as to control the user’s GoPro camera remotely. Other apps, like GoPro Quik and GoPro Splice, simplify the editing process for a more user-friendly experience.
  • Karma drone: Currently in development is GoPro’s Karma drone. The drone will give the user access to an aerial perspective, and the device is reported to shoot footage in 4K high definition.
  • Best for GoPro is best for athletes and active users who want to record sports and other activities.

Compare Camera Brands