2.48/5
Based on 134 reviews that contain star ratings

441 Canon Cameras Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I am so upset that my second Canon EOS 70D froze and died in the middle of taking a friend's picture. The first one that froze and died, people told me it would cost as much to fix as it would to buy a new one. So I put it in a box and bit the bullet to buy another 70D. I used it with my very expensive autofocus macro lens. Now I'm totally bummed not knowing what to do to again take pictures. I have spent a lot of hard earned money on these two bodies and again am dead in the water without a good camera. I sure a H don't want to spend money on another Canon 70D.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been in the professional photography field for so many years. I discouraged about behavior by Canon people for so many years since they screwed up with FD series lenses because they preferred with EF series that cost customers by triple or more because of unnecessary features. Since the nature of my work forced me to spent thousands of dollars into the pocket of Canon. My work needs a 50mm macro which I tried with 100mm and 180mm were not successful. I discovered the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens disappeared from the market. I learned it was unexpectedly discontinued from the market two years ago. Canon representative stated it was removed from the market 18 years ago. That was not true.

I discovered they tried to push the consumer to purchase a TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro lens because it improved over the EF 50mm f/2.5 lens. I shocked to hear the representative's behavior because of the EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro cost around 300 dollars compared with the TS-E 50mm F/2.8 Macro Lens cost $2200 in the market. They were NOT the same lenses because of the EF Macro weight much lighter while TS-E was very heavy. Also, the EF Macro can much closer but not the TS-E.

Also, who wants Tilt-Shift feature in TS-E. Million of professional photographers will not buy it because it was totally unnecessary. In fact, Canon put a lot of money and time into TS-E lenses. Right now, the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro is very high demand in the market but Canon refused to make it again as force them to buy the TS-E and earn windfall profit from the customers. You have to speak out with complaint toward Canon and even Nikon for their failure to put back the 50mm macro and Life Size converter back the market. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have been using my Canon 5DS R for 3 years now and have had nothing but a great experience with it. The quality of photos I get are outstanding and the size of the images helps me achieve large prints close to the expensive medium format cameras out there, Canon makes great cameras, and backs their products with responsive customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Camera was fine until it began with that lens error it's famous for. Now it will take about three pictures, then shuts off. Forget about taking videos with this camera. I'm trying to find a camera without a pop-out lens but they are rare.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I love my camera for action shots. My camera knowledge is limited but my camera allows me to take pictures that look professional. Best part is putting it on sport setting and snapping away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canon?

Original review: April 27, 2018

Bought Canon A2500 camera several years ago. Shutter button fell off. Asked Canon for replacement part. Canon does not provide/sell replacement parts (how they get away with that I do not know). Received Canon email telling me to send in camera and I would get a rebuilt one for $39. I sent camera to Canon. They sent camera back saying they do not make the A2500 anymore nor do they have any rebuilt ones. Canon now says they will sell me different rebuilt model for $89. Very clear case of bait and switch. CEO of Canon needs to be brought up on fraud charges in USA court. FRAUD - FRAUD - FRAUD - ALERT!!! **DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CANON. They are only for themselves and padding multi-million dollar salary of CEO. They do not care about customers. Join forces - boycott ANYTHING made by Canon. Put them out of business.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have Canon 6D. I have face the problem of almost hang up this device. So I take my camera Canon service center. They return after 15 days my camera and they says, "Your camera will be ok." But I face same problem again. So I requested to all do not purchase Canon camera. I suggest Sony cameras better than Canon camera. Service and all. If you have any query then you can call me **.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I purchased a Canon point and shoot camera with a great zoom lens. The quality of the camera exceeds my expectations. The quality of the images is amazing and the camera was easy to learn how to use. Love Canon and will always purchase Canon cameras.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was initially very pleased with Canon sx720 HS camera but I had what I thought was minor issue. In taking pictures in dark environments I noticed that there was a 2 to 4 second delay in the shutter. I called Canon as was told they would fix it no prob. I sent it in and several weeks later it was returned to me with a note saying it was operating with normal parameters. I called again and was basically told I was out of luck. So I am back to taking family photos like in the 1800s where everyone has to hold still for the photo, I also own a T3 rebel and a 60D. Good cameras but I will not be buying any more Canon products because they do not seem to want to stand behind their product.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had a Canon Powershot A430, which I purchased 12 odd years ago. Although outdated, it took marvelous photographs, and proved itself when I took posed pictures of my step-daughter, as she and her two best friends were about to leave for their prom. The camera went missing during a move from one province to another, and I ended up purchasing another AA battery make through a local retail outlet. Although possessing more pixels, it wasn't the same and is now a backup, but I did manage to purchase another A430 online through eBay. This camera is like hen's teeth now, rare and worth its weight in gold.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Just bought a Canon a month or so ago and excited about it. Lens cap not working/malfunctioning already. They Will Not fix but will replace with another camera for 89 bucks!! Canon, a mistake... a mistake I don't plan on making again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

The Canon M series is definitely a bang for the buck! And with the adapter for lenses, the high quality imagery has no limits. It is light, compact and easy to use. The screen for functions has many options with an easy understanding and a sharp quality of font, which other cameras may not have.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Canon SL1: image quality is very good; not full frame, though. But it is a cheap DSLR and the lightest one made, so it is easy to keep with us when we travel. I bought one for my wife, and liked it so much I bought one for myself!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I'm on my second Canon PIXMA. The present one is 12 years old and still functioning perfectly. Took a class to learn how to use more of its features and don't regret that. However, since my Android phone camera lets me edit on it, I tend to use that more now.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Long time Canon user with a variety of types of cameras from point and shoot to SLRs and find the lens quality excellent and ease of use good, logical and intuitive.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have had a Power Shot SX 40 HS for 3+ years. The camera is light enough to carry comfortably, reasonably intuitive and takes excellent pictures for someone who is not accustomed to taking pictures regularly.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Tried multiple times to follow video instructions to connect PowerShot ELPH 190IS. Downloaded programs onto my computer. All attempts to import photos from camera failed. Video instructions don't match my camera's menu. I have Windows 10; only instructions on website mention Windows 8. My computer says I can import photos; cannot. Established Canon accounts to no avail. Have wasted hours on this thankless process. Do NOT buy a Canon digital camera which is supposed to be "simple." This camera was a gift. Luckily, I only have a handful of photos on it. Will go back to using my cell phone, which at least makes photos accessible to me, instead of trapped inside a useless camera.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I just purchased a Canon Ti5 plus an extra zoom lens. After just a few uses the rim of the lens broke off preventing the lens cover from staying on. This, I was told was under the year warranty when I called customer support. Having only had the lens for a few months I send it in to be repaired. I was sent a bill for $123.00 and told that it was not under warranty. I have not mishandled the lens in any way clearly indicating that the issue is a manufacture defect and should be repaired under the year warranty that was indicated when purchased. Don't be fooled by the sweet tech people when they say there is a warranty on the products you buy from Canon. This is far from the truth.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

After purchasing my Canon Rebel T5i, I found myself in awe and also extremely confused. It's an excellent camera for a beginner and there are a lot of different shooting options and attachments that can be purchased for it. I found mine on Amazon and it came with 5 lenses, a tripod, bag and memory cards for a very good price. Overall, the camera takes great still photographs and the image quality is good with the many internal options it has but it does not do as great with action shots as the shutter speed does not allow for it to go as fast as you may need it. Then again, I just may need more education on how to use it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Canon is the best for its price. Its still photos and non-blurred videos are consistently excellent. I get the best image quality for the money. Speed is also consistently good. Turn on the auto and it will give you excellence, learn the manual and you've got it all. It's the best bang for your buck.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Mine is a Canon T1i and despite its age it never disappoints me. It never leaves me without the shot I want. I do a lot of what I call "gotcha" wildlife pics which are the ones you see while out doing something else and snap, rather than spending hours setting up their shot and waiting until the perfect shot presents itself. The quality and value of the camera is outstanding. My other love is equally demanding for a camera... marching band and color guard competition shots actually during those competitions. I have an old shoulder fracture AND a trashed rotator cuff and still am able to easily obtain shots that consistently make people say, "Wow!" I really wish I could upload some of my pics and allow you to judge for yourself!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Although other brands may have more current performance specs in some areas, Canon is always an excellent total package for amateurs and professionals alike. They have the best menu system and the best touch screens. However, it lacks some current performance capability in low light and in video. If Canon would become more current with fast developing technology, I would give the highest rating but, making cameras that will be current for a long time has been a Canon philosophy.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I love it. It captures all my special & favorite moments. It's easy for my kids to use as well. It's great for the family and family moments as well as friends.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

For wildlife shooting, my Canon camera is a very good choice because of 10 fps, and high and fast ISO available. I like it and chose it for this reason. Focusing was a problem, and though now minor, still persists, but this is because bought from 42nd ST Photo which sells questionable quality products and uses other deceptive methods to scam customers, therefore it is not representative of Canon quality. What I point at and shoot comes out in the photo to the right of what I aimed at. But after I had a Canon rep walk through and advise on best settings, and advice from photographers in the field, I have my camera set so that it operates like a point and shoot. For my birding purposes, this is optimum and I love it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

My camera is versatile, compact & high quality. For a couple of hundred dollars, I get Canon quality. The image quality is very good. Moreover, it's well-made and almost indestructible. In addition, it's point & shoot, easy to carry & easy to use. However, the only problem I have is battery life. Two AA batteries don't cut it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I bought a Canon T3i. My camera feels good and the controls are easy to change when setting up for a shot. However, the mechanics are not so good. It has hidden faults. No one told me about flash problems not covered by warranty and an EOS lens with a hair between the lenses. The camera's not worth the money and it's not good for paperweight, but there's no sorry or exchange. The image quality depends on the lens and overall knowledge of the user. When using the correct lens, the image will be good to enlarge, and there's no need to worry about the image being pixelated.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have a small slr which is an ideal size for carrying on long walks. Its video is not bad, however the long zoom is useless even with a tripod, the controls are tricky to use, and the battery life not very good. It would be better if the lens has a better quality and is interchangeable.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

My camera's easy to use, even a 5 yr old can take good pictures with it. It creates clear pictures which can be processed on certain home printers. I love it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I bought my Canon eos rebel, a digital camera with great picture quality, on sale to take graduation pictures in 2015. The camera's price and quality were superb and it came with accessories. Canon is a great brand.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I use a Canon 6d camera body with a 24-70 2.8L lens. It couldn't be used easily by the average consumer, but with proper training, it's very easy! On a professional level, I love my camera and it is the perfect tool to create the images I want to create. It's very expensive but it's the proper tool with which to do my job so it's worth it.

Canon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Canon is a leading manufacturer of consumer and business imaging solutions. Cameras comprise only one branch of their vast product line.

• Universal design: One of the core tenets of Canon’s design philosophy is to make its products as user-friendly as possible. After careful analysis of how consumers interact with their products, Canon applies their findings to increase usability, flexibility and customer convenience.

• Canon online learning: Canon offers numerous digital classes for sale through their website. With courses ranging from beginners’ guides to DSLR camera use to more specialized classes like landscape photography, Canon’s classes are designed by professionals to provide users with lessons catered to their interests. There are also Quick Tip videos available for free on the Canon Learning section of their website.

• Community outreach and sustainability initiatives: Canon is a firm believer in community outreach and environmental conservation. Canon has partnered with Wildlife Conservation Society, Friends of Arcadia and other conservation programs, and the company encourages consumers to recycle their toner cartridges through its return program. Canon4Kids is another outreach program designed to aid in the search for missing children.

• Free shipping: Canon provides free shipping on a few of its products. Standard offers include free ground shipping for products totaling over $100 and free next-day shipping on pre-ordered products as well as a few shipping deals for specific products like toner and printing accessories.

• Refurbished sales: Rotating refurbished sales provide consumers with the option of spending less money for a pre-used product. Cameras and accessories rotate regularly as they become available.

• Best for: Canon cameras are best for consumers getting started in photography, though its high-end products are designed to satisfy professionals as well.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs