4.18/5

447 Canon Cameras Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

Excellent image quality in a professional grade camera. Wide array of excellent lenses and accessories. Canon is continually upgrading its technology, keeping it at the forefront of digital advances.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Excellent, very good size (small one hand operation). Extremely good zoom for the size and cost of the camera, ample adjustments and features for custom pictures. Battery life was never a problem. Charging or duration during any day no matter how many photos l took, (500 +/_ during a two week vacations. I would buy another one may be a little more advanced, zoom and pixels.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

If you are like me, here is your situation: you’ve steadily accrued several Canon EOS cameras: Rebel, T3, T5i, 80D... and as each one has improved over the other, hour photos have gotten better as well. Along the way you’ve accumulated several EF lenses for Canon full frame cameras that also fit on your APS-C Canon cameras. You even have several nice flashes, tripods, cases, and memory cards. But, you want to take it to the next level.

You want to go full frame for a few reasons. 1) The photo is just plain better - no getting around that. 2) You want those EF lenses to be used to their full potential. 3) Time has come to move away from simple amateur status... you have to keep moving forward. You hesitate for a few reasons: 1) The 5D models and 1D are just too expensive. 2) You are not a pro... yet. 3) You have grown accustomed to using a viewfinder that pivots and swivels so you can take pictures close to the ground and way overhead... but those cameras do not have that feature. 4) You don’t want a heavy camera.

Enter the Canon 6D Mark II. It is THE least expensive new full frame camera from Canon. It is THE only full frame Canon camera with articulating screen. It is THE Canon camera that is actively billed as the stepping stone between amateur and pro. It is THE lightest full frame camera from Canon. It is THE least expensive full frame camera from Canon. And... it takes great photos. I am so happy I made the switch. I can use those great lenses to their greatest ability. I have a full frame camera. It is light. It has great quality. And I can use it the same way I used my older cameras with articulating screen. Five stars.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I purchased a Powershot G3X, the ribbon connecting the screen to the unit failed after 27 months, rendering the camera useless. The standard reply was "it is out of warranty and we charge £130 basic repair costs." Canon take no responsibility for their short lived products. Once it is out of warranty they wash their hands of you. Shame on Canon and your terrible treatment of customers. Cannot.... Not Canon.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I love their products, but Canon's rebate policy is not good. I wish they would provide instant rebates during purchase, instead customers need to mail it in by a provided date. I moved and delivered my 5th baby boy, so I did not send it in on time. Canon would not honor the rebate. I purchased a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera with 24-105mm f/4L II Lens for $3,999.00 and only purchased a printer with it because the rebate offered when purchased together. I lost $250. I believe this is not the best customer service. Nikon and Sony have gained a new customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canon?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I'm feeling a bit disappointed in Canon. I purchased the refurbished EOS Rebel T6 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit on Friday 11/30 for $320.99 and the impression given was that it was an extended Cyber Monday deal. However, today, Monday 12/3, it's $267.49 for the same exact camera! I called customer service and told them it was a 53.50 and they only gave me a $50 credit back that they said could take a full billing cycle to get. I had to call back again to get the price difference of 53.50 which I still have to wait for. It's just crazy how deceptive the pricing was and how I had to waste time calling customer service about it.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I am so upset that my second Canon EOS 70D froze and died in the middle of taking a friend's picture. The first one that froze and died, people told me it would cost as much to fix as it would to buy a new one. So I put it in a box and bit the bullet to buy another 70D. I used it with my very expensive autofocus macro lens. Now I'm totally bummed not knowing what to do to again take pictures. I have spent a lot of hard earned money on these two bodies and again am dead in the water without a good camera. I sure a H don't want to spend money on another Canon 70D.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been in the professional photography field for so many years. I discouraged about behavior by Canon people for so many years since they screwed up with FD series lenses because they preferred with EF series that cost customers by triple or more because of unnecessary features. Since the nature of my work forced me to spent thousands of dollars into the pocket of Canon. My work needs a 50mm macro which I tried with 100mm and 180mm were not successful. I discovered the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens disappeared from the market. I learned it was unexpectedly discontinued from the market two years ago. Canon representative stated it was removed from the market 18 years ago. That was not true.

I discovered they tried to push the consumer to purchase a TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro lens because it improved over the EF 50mm f/2.5 lens. I shocked to hear the representative's behavior because of the EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro cost around 300 dollars compared with the TS-E 50mm F/2.8 Macro Lens cost $2200 in the market. They were NOT the same lenses because of the EF Macro weight much lighter while TS-E was very heavy. Also, the EF Macro can much closer but not the TS-E.

Also, who wants Tilt-Shift feature in TS-E. Million of professional photographers will not buy it because it was totally unnecessary. In fact, Canon put a lot of money and time into TS-E lenses. Right now, the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro is very high demand in the market but Canon refused to make it again as force them to buy the TS-E and earn windfall profit from the customers. You have to speak out with complaint toward Canon and even Nikon for their failure to put back the 50mm macro and Life Size converter back the market. Thank you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have been using my Canon 5DS R for 3 years now and have had nothing but a great experience with it. The quality of photos I get are outstanding and the size of the images helps me achieve large prints close to the expensive medium format cameras out there, Canon makes great cameras, and backs their products with responsive customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Camera was fine until it began with that lens error it's famous for. Now it will take about three pictures, then shuts off. Forget about taking videos with this camera. I'm trying to find a camera without a pop-out lens but they are rare.

Canon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Canon is a leading manufacturer of consumer and business imaging solutions. Cameras comprise only one branch of their vast product line.

• Universal design: One of the core tenets of Canon’s design philosophy is to make its products as user-friendly as possible. After careful analysis of how consumers interact with their products, Canon applies their findings to increase usability, flexibility and customer convenience.

• Canon online learning: Canon offers numerous digital classes for sale through their website. With courses ranging from beginners’ guides to DSLR camera use to more specialized classes like landscape photography, Canon’s classes are designed by professionals to provide users with lessons catered to their interests. There are also Quick Tip videos available for free on the Canon Learning section of their website.

• Community outreach and sustainability initiatives: Canon is a firm believer in community outreach and environmental conservation. Canon has partnered with Wildlife Conservation Society, Friends of Arcadia and other conservation programs, and the company encourages consumers to recycle their toner cartridges through its return program. Canon4Kids is another outreach program designed to aid in the search for missing children.

• Free shipping: Canon provides free shipping on a few of its products. Standard offers include free ground shipping for products totaling over $100 and free next-day shipping on pre-ordered products as well as a few shipping deals for specific products like toner and printing accessories.

• Refurbished sales: Rotating refurbished sales provide consumers with the option of spending less money for a pre-used product. Cameras and accessories rotate regularly as they become available.

• Best for: Canon cameras are best for consumers getting started in photography, though its high-end products are designed to satisfy professionals as well.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs