Call toll free
4.39/5

New York, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

709 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 13, 2019

42nd Street Photo has a well-designed site and it responds very quickly. Making purchases is extremely easy and sometimes, if a product is not available, they have it sorta reserved for you as next in line. I’ve been dealing with them for about 20 years, and reliability and pricing are the two critical things. I've chosen to purchase there due to product availability and pricing. Then in terms of reputation, it’s not somebody that you would not trust either. They have good name recognition. I get advertisements from them all the time and they also offer specials and discounts. My interaction with their customer service representative was satisfactory as well. Their people tend to be quite knowledgeable and that’s very important.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My brother used a Nikon for a long time and he wanted me to buy one of those. He liked the brand and the features. I ordered the camera from 42nd Street Photo through eBay which was easy. They gave me a time frame for the shipping. It was like a week or so and it arrived on time.

Original review: March 1, 2019

42nd Street Photo was pretty cheap and I bought something from them years ago, but it didn’t work out that well. I ordered something that was photo equipment related, and they did the bait-and-switch on me. The communication with their customer service team was not that good, and they were defensive. It wasn't a pleasant experience. Although they resolved the issue for me, it took a while and I didn’t shop with them again after that.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Apart from the kit from 42nd Street Photo, there was only one other kit that had two lenses with it. Though I didn't really need the lens, I wanted everything else in that kit. I decided to buy it but then it took a bit longer to get to where I am. Still, I assumed that was because of all the nasty weather the delivery guys had to drive through. I'm really happy with it so far.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Very easy and great service. I am appreciated Michael explains my order and help me with other options that best for me. I would come back and order from 42nd Street Photo for camera gear needs in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a Canon 80D camera body and a new lens in a separate order. They were courteous and helpful on the phone. They shipped promptly and everything was just as advertised. Great prices as well. I would recommend this merchant to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've been dealing with 42nd Street Photo back in the 70s so I'm familiar with the organization. Their price and reputation made me go with them over other photo retailers. They offer a competitive pricing structure based on the price I know. They provide good products and purchase experience. Everything worked out just fine and I'm very satisfied with my experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 - My experience were excellent! I so happy with the customer services, you are good communication with me. I was looking the best price and different store but I can’t found, but when I saw of the price I said, I can’t believe. Thank you so much.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I placed an order for some batteries and a charger for a digital SLR camera with 42nd Street Photo. They offered the best price for the products. I did it through their website and everything went very well. I received my order in less than five days, which was very reasonable and the products were as described. I was happy and I will shop with them again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

42nd Street Photo's price is fair and I'm happy with the quality of the item I got.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I live in Missouri and ordered the Sony RX100 VI camera from 42nd St Photo located in NY online and in my order I added an accessory kit. Mike from 42 Photo called me before it was shipped and let me know that the kit I bought online wasn't compatible with the camera I purchased and he advised me what would work best and was very helpful with any question I had about the camera and even added in a few things at no cost. My camera and accessories were shipped and I had them in 4 business days. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My experience is exactly as described by other users here. I was lured by a less expensive price online, only to be baited and switched. Specifically I called first to find out if I could purchase the item and not have it shipped for a few days, Jack advised me I could and never said a word about making sure I chose the USA version or even hinted that what appears on their website is gray. So I ordered it, and sure enough, I got the phone call asking was I sure this was the one I wanted, as it was a manual focus lens and not US warranted. I let him upsell me by some $120. But then I did some research and discovered other sellers giving the sameness price with a better lens.

I called back to discuss, and Jack then cast aspersions on the other sellers (their items weren’t US warranted, etc) until I pointed out that Best Buy had it for this price. He then discussed it with his manager who agreed to include the better lens. After reading some of these reviews I still tried to cancel and got all the same stories other reviewers did: it was already shipped and would be subject to 20% restock fee (it did not ship till Jan 7); I’d have to pay the merchant fee on the credit card, etc. None of it was true, but make it so you have no choice but to proceed.

The item came yesterday, but the box was not sealed, and the box indicated it was the 18-55mm lens when it was in fact the 18-135mm lens. There was no warranty card included, and even the invoice does not say USA warranted. Just USA. I called Canon and they said 42nd Street photo is not an authorized dealer and the only way to be sure it’s USA warranted is to buy from an authorized dealer. So now I have an expensive camera most likely with no warranty. You can’t talk to them as they just shut you down with all the fees you will have to pay if you return, and they are not upfront about what they are selling you. It is a scam and you should steer clear of them absolutely.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This is my first bad review I have ever had to write nor do I want to but that's how bad their customer service was to me. I purchased a USA Camera from them. One week later I decided to call customer service to ask them a question regarding an exchange to upgrade to a more established model. I went through hell and back because no one would help me other than the rep. that sold me the camera, that's what I was told. After the first time calling them, they were rude, cutting the conversation off by transferring me to the rep's voicemail. I left three messages for this guy and no return call.

So I called later that week. They knew who I was before I told them and straight up transferred me to the rep's voicemail again. At this time I was heated so I immediately called back and they asked me did I leave a message for him, the rep that is...and I said, “Yes. Three this week.” So they eventually put him on the phone and I asked about exchanging to upgrade and he told me quote "We have a ten day return policy, let me check to see if we can waive it. Can I call you back?" Now I said "Yes please". Well the ten days elapsed waiting on a return call at the beginning...and on top of that he has not called me back 'til this day and it's been four days. I will never purchase from 42nd Street Photo ever again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We’re professional photographers and we wanted an extra one we can just leave in the car. I bought a D7000 Nikon off eBay and I’m super happy with it. It’s a good quality camera but if it gets stolen, it’s not the end of the world. It was like brand new and works perfectly. It was super easy ordering it online and it got delivered fast. Being a professional, I would know if it had a problem, and 42nd Street Photo represented it exactly as it was.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My mother ordered a Nikon D850 over the phone from 42nd Street Photo. They asked whether she wants the international version or the USA version. The price of the international version is what is listed on the website. In my case, it was $2800. My mom said she wanted the USA version which was more expensive by around $600 (the price without sale is the price of the USA version). Everything seemed to be fine up to this point. When the product arrived, my mother opened and did not have same components as it should of the USA version (no Nikon warranty card, different power cable, and no word "US" on top of the barcode indicating it is a USA version). My mother did not know that what she received was an international model because she is not familiar with technology. So she called me up for my help, and after some searches, I realized that I received the international version which is the cheaper one.

My mom called them up multiple times, but they kept saying we got the right product we paid for. After couple times trying to reach them, they said they would proceed the return but with 20% restock fee. That is just plain ridiculous. I would be willing to pay the 20% restock fee if I received the right order and changed my mind, but they did not even send the right product. It is their fault, but why would they make ME pay 20% of the fee to make up for their mistake? I emailed and called them up after multiple times, but they never picked up their phone ever since. As a customer, I have the right to receive the proper service and a correct product that I paid for. And for the service providers like them, they need to provide customers the proper service once the customers make payments. My family is in touch with our lawyer to resolve this issue. I will continue to call or email them because this is just unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

42nd Street Photo was taking photos at a company event and I just wanted a souvenir. Ordering was simple since it was right then and there and they were offering a discounted rate because it was for a military function.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I liked the price of the manual for a digital camera that I bought from 42nd Street Photo. Ordering was easy, it took four days to ship and it arrived in good condition.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was looking for a good deal on the Nikon D850, which I found through 42Photo. The discounted price is $2,699, which originally it's $3,299. I was so happy. I did a little research on the store and found all good reviews (realizing now they are fake), I placed my order. A few days later I get a call from them "confirming my order." They ask me if I want UPS to leave it at the door or if I want to sign it. Then they tell me I accidentally ordered the international version, and I didn't realize I was being conned. They told me it'll cost the original amount (3,299) and at the time I just thought maybe I did order the wrong one.

Later that night I look on 42Photo and find that there is only one version of the camera and it doesn't say anything about international or USA. The product already shipped so I am waiting to receive it and then I will try disputing it with my bank. I will update this review when I do that. I could get it refunded by 42Photo but there is a 20% restocking fee that they don't make very known! Stay away from 42Photo at all costs!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I did a lot of research to try and find the best deal on a Nikon D500 prior to making my purchase. I have dealt with 42nd Street Photo in the past, never had any problems, and they had the best price. The only difference I saw was that this camera did not have the battery grip which was listed at $349 on this website and others, so I figured that's where the savings came in. I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, and hit the "Place Order" button. Not long thereafter I received a phone call from a representative stating that they would be sending out the camera shortly and he wanted to see whether or not I wanted the delivery to require a signature because I didn't "check it off", and also to make sure I didn't need anything else.

Just before hanging up the representative stated, "You do know that this is the international version, correct?". NO! I did not know that this was the international version. It does not state that anywhere in the listing. When I told him I wanted to cancel the order I was told that it could not be canceled. He then proceeded to bully me into purchasing the US version, telling me that even if I disputed the charge that it would go to litigation and I would lose because they have been in business for 72 years and they "didn't do anything wrong". Needless to say, I ended up paying over $200 more on a camera through 42nd Street Photo than was originally intended. I would suggest reading the listing carefully, as well as the fine print, if you are going to make a purchase from 42nd Street Photo, however, in going back and looking at the listing, I still do not see anywhere that it states that the camera I purchased is an "International Version". Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens for Nikon Came. So far I have only used this lens outdoors. The pictures are sharp and the autofocus works great. Great for event photography where the f 2.8 comes in handy to get that extra light. This lens is as good as the reviews say it is. The lens is extremely sharp and focuses quickly with hardly any back and forth. It is of reasonable size and weight for the speed of the lens. This is a great basic lens for the Nikon D810 and gives me a good range of focal lengths for most subjects, until you need a longer lens.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Our shopping and follow up service from 42nd Street Photo was wonderful. They made sure we had everything we needed such as memory cards, filters, cleaner and lens covers so we may use our camera to the extent it is intended. Will use them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Cameras only in combo with insurance? Got a pretty intense sales call for an insurance after having received the confirmation mail of the purchase a Nikon D750. I did not purchase this insurance. The camera was not delivered. After inquiring with them, I was told that my ordered was canceled and the money returned to my account (which was true)... Makes me wonder if they are serious about selling this camera or this goes only in combination with a funny insurance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I ordered a Nikon D7200 online for the price of $649. Jack called my home a few days later and chatted with my grandson. According to Jack what was ordered was a demo Japanese language model, contrary to their website that boasted "brand New" one. He said it would cost an additional $300 to get the English model camera. He kept saying no then the price came down to eventually $100 more which he conned him into it, mind you he is a minor who is not on my cc account.

After reading reviews from others it looks like this bait and switch lies practice of theirs is common play for them. What kind of business does this other than con artists. And you can bet that all along it was the same product they just scam you for as much more as they can. So if you want to be lied to, scammed for more money and charged for priority shipping and receive ground shipping then buy from them but if you want to be treated right and not basically robbed stay away from these guys!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've ordered lenses and cameras from 42nd Street Photo. I like the price and quality of purchase. When you buy camera equipment, you look for the product that look close to new or they do not look beat up. Also, make sure that the brass is not cracked, or the coloration of the lens is not scratched or scarred up. From what I’ve seen with 42nd, they looked pretty brand new. They always show you all the items that they have or they send an email telling me to check out their item. They got my orders right out and they sent an email saying that they've shipped it. Everything was fine when they send my orders. I never had to call them for anything. I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Like all the Nikon lens’, batteries, filters and other equipment I’ve purchased for my commercial photography practice, the Nikon D810 and FX Lens they recommended was a perfect fit. Business & government clients enjoy my full-frame 36MP images, often asking for the raw image now! Japanese & Korean stock image purchases increased significantly.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Camera lens is wonderful. Was lucky enough to have a cruise to Alaska and because of this lens, got some awesome memories. Very easy to use and clear photos every time. Highly recommend this lens to anyone who enjoys taking photos

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Since I shop price and what I find to be suitable for me, I purchased from 42nd Street Photo on eBay. It was a good experience. I got my order within the timeframe that I was given.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My experience with 42nd Photo was great. It was a Christmas present for my son. I ordered the item on Dec 6, concerned it would get here by the holiday. It arrived within a week and made for a great Christmas.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was thinking about trading cameras. I saw the thing on 42nd Street then I talked to the guy and told him what I had. He came back with a price for trade-in and it was a good deal, so I went with them. Navigating through their website was good but I noticed that it tends to load slowly for some reason. When I was looking at camera bodies and lenses, and I clicked on an item, I sat there and watched that bar go across. It was just slowing it though it was not really long. But it was longer than I'm used to.

Other than that, I got a used camera which they listed in good condition but it is way better than good. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all and I am really happy with it. I've been using it and it works great. I got it for a little less than I thought it would be. I know that my previous camera was discontinued, but it is still a pretty popular camera and it has a lot of nice features on it. With the one I got from 42nd Street, there are a lot of features that I wasn't used to and I was stumped.

All in all, I was really pleased with my experience and I was surprised that it worked out. The communication was also good and the camera got here in a timely manner. It was well-packed and it came in a factory box. It had the lens and the charger, which was good, but it didn't have the operator's manual in it. Most of the time, you don't even read those things, though. They're thick, have a lot of information, and a lot of people just figure out how to use their cameras. Also, I got on the internet and some guy had one for eight bucks, so I jumped in on that.

Resolution response: Oct. 10, 2018

42nd Street Photo is going to send me a replacement camera, due to Nikon not being able to repair it.

So, so far so good.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had to send them my supposed brand new camera- Nikon B700- back to them to be repaired because the camera drains the battery overnight every time. They just sent it back and they didn't fix the problem. Don't buy anything from them.

42nd Street Photo Company Information