Call toll free
4.53/5
Based on 125 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

New York, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

662 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I’ve been taking photos for many many years. I followed the advertisements of 42nd Street Photo in camera magazines and I liked the price. Getting around their website was fine. 42nd Street Photo is a good store and I’d probably use them again in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently ordered a Nikon lens and was told it was a USA model. When the lens arrived, there was no manual and no warranty card and the package was poorly packaged. I notified them and wanted to send the lens back and they informed me that to do so would require a 20 percent restocking fee. They also said that they would send the warranty card and thus far it has not appeared. I have tried to call Michael at the store and have left several messages and have not received a call back. I also spoke with someone else in the store who assured me that Michael will call me back. My frustration is that I was charged for a US lens and later found out that they are not an authorized US dealer for Nikon and I believe the lens to be a grey lens. The serial number is not a US model. Thus far my lens works but I do not appreciate being told one thing and being sent something else. I will not be using them in the future.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Nikon D5500 body - Did my order hassle free, great experience. Thank you, I was recommended by my good friend Mike **, he was the one who told me about your company. I will keep buying studio and video supplies as needed. Thanks again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I wanted a zoom lens for my Nikon D5100. Online search led me to 42nd Street Photo, which carried the lens I was looking for (Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G IF-ED) at a good price. Ordering was easy, shipment was quick, and I love the lens.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The service that you have is very nice & helpful, your staff are very knowledgeable & Polite with the products you sell. I will always call 42nd St. Photo for pricing for all my camera needs. Thank you Very Much for your Service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My Nikon 7200 camera was shipped promptly, and securely. They even called me to let me know of some available promotions that I had not seen when I purchased it. Love the camera. Love the photos it takes. Love the experience. First rate all the way.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

1) They lie: They lied about the model being a USA model, they lied about the model being used for Nikon professional services points, they lied about my contact with PayPal, and lied several times about "grey market." They repeatedly lied to me and tried to make me believe that Nikon will put overseas serial numbers on "Dealer special" cameras, telling me over and over again that I had a USA model when I know, and Nikon knew, along with the hundreds of other photographers I deal with on Facebook, that is not the case.

2) 42nd Street Photo is not a Nikon dealer: I called Nikon and talked to them in depth about the grey market cameras. Grey market cameras are worthless as far as Nikon letting you get it repaired, it counting towards your NPS points, and tech support. Adam lied! (According to several post online the warranty that 42nd Street Photo gives you instead, sucks. They try to get you to accept it as a better one than what Nikon has because it is a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year warranty). Look on Nikon's site for authorized dealers, at the very bottom of the page.

3) They will bait and switch: When you order something from them you will most likely get a phone call about your order, and then they will try to sell you more stuff, and they are pretty pushy about you needing it. In my case, my order went from $3,079 to $3,999.99 after I was assured I would be getting a USA model and not a grey market model. As a matter of fact, I was so concerned I called them back the day I placed my order and was again told that I would be getting a USA model. (They jacked up the price big time, and I still got a grey market camera). 4) Per the website: "There is a twenty % restocking fee for all returns"...20%!!! That means I would have had to pay almost $800 on a $3,999 order...it's almost 1/4 the full price. They require an RMA on all returns or they will not accept your return.

5) PayPal is your friend: When I finally filed a PayPal dispute, the next day Adam calls me and lies to me again, saying that he just talked to PayPal and PayPal wants "us" to just do an exchange for a USA model. By this point I was pretty disgusted at Adam and his tactics so I told him "sure", knowing damn well that it was a way to stall the complaint long enough for PayPal to drop it so that they can send me another "gray" camera! But the final straw was when I contacted PayPal, and told them what Adam had said. PayPal verified that he, in fact, had lied! Adam, and 42nd Street Photo, had not even contacted PayPal and PayPal had not talked to them. It was at this point PayPal escalated the claim.

6) Honesty would go a long way: I wish these guys would drop the shady, sneaky, lying sales and just be honest. I mean, I was told by Adam that they don't advertise that all of the cameras (Nikon) are gray! (This alone is deceitful.) I mean, come on! I know people that would gladly pay for a gray cam to save a few bucks. Just be honest! I loved the store and the layout and I buy tons of gear every year, but I will not buy from this place ever again! They would have to send me a USA model cam for free, and guess what...THEY DON'T HAVE THEM! (Well, maybe they have used ones they would sell you for a new price, I really would not put it past these people.)

7) As of this writing I am waiting for a response from PayPal that they have responded to the complaint. They have until July 21st to respond. I bought the Camera on July 4th, so, all things being the best scenario, I should have my money back after about a month of this BS! I can't order another Camera until I get my money back, so it's added yet more time wasted on waiting...UGH! Please take heed! DO NOT use this store! No matter how awesome they sound, how nice they are to you, how much free stuff they send you, (junk) don't waste your time and money at 42nd Street Photo in New York!

8 ) Protect yourself: My claim with PayPal was un-answered for days, but finally I received a notice to send the camera back for a refund. At this point of the transaction I was so angry I felt that I had to protect myself. When I shipped it back, I placed insurance on the package for the full amount, and here's why. 42nd Street Photo had been so dishonest, I felt that it was possible that they would receive the camera and claim it was damaged, trying to keep the money and the camera. So shipping the camera back cost me a total of 97 dollars. Now according to PayPal, anything over a value of $750 has to be signed for, and I was told as soon as it was delivered I would receive my refund and the matter would be closed.

9) Conclusion: I have my money back after 15 days of wasted time. They didn't even bother to respond to the case on PayPal. I am telling my fellow photographers, do not take the chance! Don't waste your time and money dealing with these people. Of course, this is just how I feel, but several people have had this kind of crappy stuff happen to them too! Just look around and check out the ratings on Better Business Bureau, Yelp, and other places. I don't think my review could actually be brutally honest enough. This is what happened to me, and it can happen to you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Paid the $39.33 extra to have the a Nikon D3300 camera here in two days but they sent it ground (5 days). I needed this for my cousin's wedding this weekend. Called Customer Service and they said they were out of the Nikon D3300 and I got the last one so they could not overnight another one?! They said there is nothing they could do. Refused to call UPS to correct as well. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

42nd St. Photo has a great selection of cameras and equipment and were very helpful in getting me this camera. Their prices were the best and the service can't be beat. Their telephone ordering was very helpful and their online ordering is quick and easy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We were very impressed with the lens kit and accessories. We went on an Alaskan cruise. In the future I would like to add a swivel flash with some type of soft light feature or attachment. Also, I should have purchased a light weight tripod vs a mono pod.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I use this lens for over a year with Sony Alpha 7S R-II. I have no problem with electronics/mechanics or manual performance of the lens. All videos and pictures have very good clarity and quality with a short and long zoom range.

Original review: July 31, 2018

42nd Street Photo was excellent to deal with. I was interested in a Nikon lens and found that they had it in stock. The sales person was very knowledgeable and able to answer all of my questions. After I received the lens, I changed my mind and wanted to exchange it for another Nikon model. I called and it was no problem. I ordered the new one and sent the old one back, and have been happy ever since. Thank You to 42nd Street Photo!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Your customer service is awesome. I've told everyone that asks about my pics where I got my camera and a few have actually gotten back to me to say thanks as their experience was great as well! When my camera got caught in the rain, you honored my warranty and fixed it FAST! Couldn't be happier or recommend 42 higher!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I would like to say that my transaction with 42nd St Photo was seamless. They offered what they sold and there was no run around like so many other photography companies in New York. My camera is still working 2 years later and it is used every day. We need more companies like 42nd St Photo.

Original review: July 31, 2018

It was a great experience and I really appreciated the trade in given on my D800 camera body. I have been buying camera equipment from 42nd St Photo for more than 30 years and they have always been professional and the deals have been excellent.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been shopping with 42nd Street for many years. They always have really good prices, great quality and terrific service. If they didn't, would not still be shopping with them. 42nd Street Photo is always one of my first choices for camera purchases.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I ordered a camera that was described as new or demo. When I received it, it was used, had dings and scratches, and it had over 30,000 clicks on it. (The clicks can be read even if the store reset the camera.) I called and they tried to tell me it was discontinued model and no new ones were available. I called the manufacturer and knew it was not discontinued. When I said I wanted to return the whole order, they sent me a new camera. So they made it right but only because I caught them.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I needed a camera bag so I bought one from 42nd Street Photo through Amazon. However, I was dissatisfied and didn’t care for it because it had adhesive all over it which I couldn’t get off. It would have been better for me just to go to the store and buy one. I left a review and never got a response.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased a Canon 7d camera in 2016 through their website. The salesperson I dealt with was courteous and very helpful with the purchase. I am very pleased with my purchase. I have recommended this company to family and friends. Will do business with again.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I was looking for a Canon camera and ordered from here as they were the least expensive. I could find it for $429 everywhere else but 42nd Street offered it for $349.00. So, I placed an order online. A couple of days later I received a call from their salesman, stating that he was reviewing the order and that perhaps I might want to upgrade it, for the “real” camera; the one he assumed I thought I was buying. He started off by saying he was simply calling to see if I wanted to sign for the package or not.

He explained that what I had ordered, while it was true that it was a Canon, was probably not what I had really wanted, or meant to order. He told me that the camera that I paid for was an import, with a different warranty. When I pressed him on his statements, he also told me that the body was manufactured with different and cheaper parts at overseas factories. I asked him how he knew this and his response was that Canon had told him so. I became very concerned as he wanted me to pay the additional $70 difference, that of course I would need the warranty.

Then he started confusing me, telling me that I needed to get the memory card and he would throw that in. I cancelled the order and called back to complain. The man who helped me sounded very concerned, but the next thing I knew, he was stating the same thing! Then he started to press me, he would not let me off the phone, he said I was silly for buying it at Amazon instead. Finally, I told him I had to hang up and he said he couldn't allow me to hang up without placing the order! I promised I would not purchase the camera anywhere else, I simply would not purchase it. In the meantime, my call waiting was ringing, the first guy was calling back, he had spoken with his supervisor, they could sell it to me after all for $349.00 and would throw in the warranty!

Original review: July 17, 2018

42nd Street Photo had what I was looking for at the price I was looking for. I purchased a camera bag backpack from them through Amazon. Since acquiring the backpack, it's been working well so far. I had a very good experience with this company.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am a happy 42nd Street customer. I've heard about them a long time ago when I was first starting out photography and, over the years, I have purchased a lot from them. I've purchased cameras, lenses and filters. Compared with other retailers, 42nd Street has a better quality program and when I'm buying something from them, I feel relaxed that it is gonna be a good product. Their online ordering is great too. I'll tell anyone who would ask about 42nd Street to call them.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Prior to ordering 16-300mm lens, customer service was very informative and precise which helped my decision to purchase the Tamron lens. In addition the price was most competitive. I will definitely be a returning customer.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a good experience buying my DSLR Camera but felt unsure about the camera card I was told to purchase as it was very expensive but they assured me it was the only one I could use for the camera. The card ended up malfunctioning and I have been using a different memory card with no problems.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Although not completely happy with the autofocus of the lens, my experience with 42ND St. Photo was great. Service was good, prompt and accurate. The lens does great work for subjects further than eight feet away. It produces great pictures.

Original review: June 27, 2018

10 out of 10. Robert at ** was frank, honest and very helpful. There was even a question regarding if the packages included filter kit would work with the Olympic Stylus 1. It would not and Robert had a credit issued to my card. Unexpected. I do my homework before I purchase. I always check 42nd Street Photo first. Price is less important than service. At 42nd St. I seem to get both.

Original review: June 26, 2018

A long time ago, I was a professional photographer and back in '95, I opened a studio. I used to order from lots of places and I have used 42nd Street Photo then. Over the years, I purchased films, and then I went by some filters, batteries and flashes from them. But the only reason I found them this time was that I was looking for a user’s manual for my new V-750 camera and they came up with the cheapest one available on eBay, and I bought it. Their online ordering process and shipping were very quick. But one thing I was disappointed with was that my last one was a 5 x 7 size manual and the one I got from 42nd Street Photo is a 4 x 6 size manual. It still is thick, but the print was reduced in size, so it would be harder to read. But other than that, I would recommend them to others.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I ordered a camera manual from 42nd Street Photo. There weren't a whole lot of options so I purchased from them. I was just happy to find the manual. The online ordering process was easy. And, shipping was not expensive at all and it was timely.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Bought Nikon Coolpix P900. I wanted a telephoto lens to take bird pictures from 150 feet or more away for my current DSLR. My market search found the P900 which has 24 to 2000mm capability built in. A telephoto lens would cost at least two or more times the P900's cost. 42nd St Photo had the best price and had P900s in stock. They shipped it very fast and I have taken great photos with it already. I am very pleased with the purchase process and camera.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I am very pleased with the camera (Fujifilm X100T) and the ordering and delivery process. Ordering was simple. The price was competitive - I had searched around. The delivery of the product was prompt, the product was safely packaged. I had no issues and was pleased with the service.

42nd Street Photo Company Information

NY
1-646-753-5001
www.42ndphoto.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business