Call toll free
4.47/5

New York, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

693 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I liked the price of the manual for a digital camera that I bought from 42nd Street Photo. Ordering was easy, it took four days to ship and it arrived in good condition.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was looking for a good deal on the Nikon D850, which I found through 42Photo. The discounted price is $2,699, which originally it's $3,299. I was so happy. I did a little research on the store and found all good reviews (realizing now they are fake), I placed my order. A few days later I get a call from them "confirming my order." They ask me if I want UPS to leave it at the door or if I want to sign it. Then they tell me I accidentally ordered the international version, and I didn't realize I was being conned. They told me it'll cost the original amount (3,299) and at the time I just thought maybe I did order the wrong one.

Later that night I look on 42Photo and find that there is only one version of the camera and it doesn't say anything about international or USA. The product already shipped so I am waiting to receive it and then I will try disputing it with my bank. I will update this review when I do that. I could get it refunded by 42Photo but there is a 20% restocking fee that they don't make very known! Stay away from 42Photo at all costs!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I did a lot of research to try and find the best deal on a Nikon D500 prior to making my purchase. I have dealt with 42nd Street Photo in the past, never had any problems, and they had the best price. The only difference I saw was that this camera did not have the battery grip which was listed at $349 on this website and others, so I figured that's where the savings came in. I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, and hit the "Place Order" button. Not long thereafter I received a phone call from a representative stating that they would be sending out the camera shortly and he wanted to see whether or not I wanted the delivery to require a signature because I didn't "check it off", and also to make sure I didn't need anything else.

Just before hanging up the representative stated, "You do know that this is the international version, correct?". NO! I did not know that this was the international version. It does not state that anywhere in the listing. When I told him I wanted to cancel the order I was told that it could not be canceled. He then proceeded to bully me into purchasing the US version, telling me that even if I disputed the charge that it would go to litigation and I would lose because they have been in business for 72 years and they "didn't do anything wrong". Needless to say, I ended up paying over $200 more on a camera through 42nd Street Photo than was originally intended. I would suggest reading the listing carefully, as well as the fine print, if you are going to make a purchase from 42nd Street Photo, however, in going back and looking at the listing, I still do not see anywhere that it states that the camera I purchased is an "International Version". Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens for Nikon Came. So far I have only used this lens outdoors. The pictures are sharp and the autofocus works great. Great for event photography where the f 2.8 comes in handy to get that extra light. This lens is as good as the reviews say it is. The lens is extremely sharp and focuses quickly with hardly any back and forth. It is of reasonable size and weight for the speed of the lens. This is a great basic lens for the Nikon D810 and gives me a good range of focal lengths for most subjects, until you need a longer lens.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Our shopping and follow up service from 42nd Street Photo was wonderful. They made sure we had everything we needed such as memory cards, filters, cleaner and lens covers so we may use our camera to the extent it is intended. Will use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Cameras only in combo with insurance? Got a pretty intense sales call for an insurance after having received the confirmation mail of the purchase a Nikon D750. I did not purchase this insurance. The camera was not delivered. After inquiring with them, I was told that my ordered was canceled and the money returned to my account (which was true)... Makes me wonder if they are serious about selling this camera or this goes only in combination with a funny insurance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I ordered a Nikon D7200 online for the price of $649. Jack called my home a few days later and chatted with my grandson. According to Jack what was ordered was a demo Japanese language model, contrary to their website that boasted "brand New" one. He said it would cost an additional $300 to get the English model camera. He kept saying no then the price came down to eventually $100 more which he conned him into it, mind you he is a minor who is not on my cc account.

After reading reviews from others it looks like this bait and switch lies practice of theirs is common play for them. What kind of business does this other than con artists. And you can bet that all along it was the same product they just scam you for as much more as they can. So if you want to be lied to, scammed for more money and charged for priority shipping and receive ground shipping then buy from them but if you want to be treated right and not basically robbed stay away from these guys!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've ordered lenses and cameras from 42nd Street Photo. I like the price and quality of purchase. When you buy camera equipment, you look for the product that look close to new or they do not look beat up. Also, make sure that the brass is not cracked, or the coloration of the lens is not scratched or scarred up. From what I’ve seen with 42nd, they looked pretty brand new. They always show you all the items that they have or they send an email telling me to check out their item. They got my orders right out and they sent an email saying that they've shipped it. Everything was fine when they send my orders. I never had to call them for anything. I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Like all the Nikon lens’, batteries, filters and other equipment I’ve purchased for my commercial photography practice, the Nikon D810 and FX Lens they recommended was a perfect fit. Business & government clients enjoy my full-frame 36MP images, often asking for the raw image now! Japanese & Korean stock image purchases increased significantly.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Camera lens is wonderful. Was lucky enough to have a cruise to Alaska and because of this lens, got some awesome memories. Very easy to use and clear photos every time. Highly recommend this lens to anyone who enjoys taking photos

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Since I shop price and what I find to be suitable for me, I purchased from 42nd Street Photo on eBay. It was a good experience. I got my order within the timeframe that I was given.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My experience with 42nd Photo was great. It was a Christmas present for my son. I ordered the item on Dec 6, concerned it would get here by the holiday. It arrived within a week and made for a great Christmas.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was thinking about trading cameras. I saw the thing on 42nd Street then I talked to the guy and told him what I had. He came back with a price for trade-in and it was a good deal, so I went with them. Navigating through their website was good but I noticed that it tends to load slowly for some reason. When I was looking at camera bodies and lenses, and I clicked on an item, I sat there and watched that bar go across. It was just slowing it though it was not really long. But it was longer than I'm used to.

Other than that, I got a used camera which they listed in good condition but it is way better than good. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all and I am really happy with it. I've been using it and it works great. I got it for a little less than I thought it would be. I know that my previous camera was discontinued, but it is still a pretty popular camera and it has a lot of nice features on it. With the one I got from 42nd Street, there are a lot of features that I wasn't used to and I was stumped.

All in all, I was really pleased with my experience and I was surprised that it worked out. The communication was also good and the camera got here in a timely manner. It was well-packed and it came in a factory box. It had the lens and the charger, which was good, but it didn't have the operator's manual in it. Most of the time, you don't even read those things, though. They're thick, have a lot of information, and a lot of people just figure out how to use their cameras. Also, I got on the internet and some guy had one for eight bucks, so I jumped in on that.

Resolution response: Oct. 10, 2018

42nd Street Photo is going to send me a replacement camera, due to Nikon not being able to repair it.

So, so far so good.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had to send them my supposed brand new camera- Nikon B700- back to them to be repaired because the camera drains the battery overnight every time. They just sent it back and they didn't fix the problem. Don't buy anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Excellent service and exceeded all delivery expectations. It was hard to compare price with Amazon due to their multiplicity of bundles and prices. But I feel I paid a fair price for this and the pricing was easy to understand.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I was pleased and surprised when the store representative called me to confirm my order and shipping instructions - a great guy. He was also able to answer several questions I had about fit with particular cameras. Now I feel secure about my purchase and delivery.

Resolution response: Oct. 11, 2018

I received a call form 42nd St Photo today (10/6/18) and the representative was very apologetic, sincerely apologetic and offered to refund the purchase price and a returned label for the defective camera as I requested. I must say it was redressing to get such concern, genuine concern for a company.

After offering to give me what I ask for, a refund, he went on to say that 42nd St Photo would like to earn my business, since I had used them in the past. He offered to personally send the camera making sure it was new in the box. He also offered a financial incentive, which I felt was very generous and a real show of good faith on 42nd St Photo’s behalf.

Everyone makes mistakes even companies, but what they do when presented with the mistake is what shows the real character of an individual or in this case a company.

Once the situation came to the attention of someone of authority in the company, 42nd St Photo, the matter was addressed in a manner befitting a reputable company.

I will have no hesitation making further purchases from 42nd St Photo.

My wife is a professional photographer and we know how professionals should act, though it may be hard to find these days. I believe 42nd St Photo has acted in a very professional manner in resolving this problem.

My recommendation when dealing with a problem with any company is get to top, or at least to someone of authority and make your issue clear with that individual. If you get double talk or jibber jabber from the first person move on to the next. There is usually someone who really cares about the company’s reputation.

I found that someone, Thanks 42nd St Photo for restoring my confidence in your company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I ordered a camera and two lenses for my wife. My wife is a published professional photographer. We have numerous Canon cameras and lenses so we are not naive when it comes to Canon products. So I purchase a new 5Ds and when we receive it this is what we found. 1) It was an opened box resealed with 42nd St's label and a sticker over the factory product ID. 2) There was a missing part which they replaced. 3) The battery was from 2015 and would not take a full charge. We bought in September 2018. 4) The setting were reset from factory specs by another customer in Los Angels, CA. So it is a used camera. 5) When we tried to take a picture it would not. The shutter would not actuate. The camera just does not work.

So I called for a refund and was told I was making things up and there would be a 20% restocking fee. $599.80 for a used, broken, defective camera. The representative was argumentative, obnoxious, uncaring and accused me of making things up. They did offer to send a replacement, but after the treatment I received and the quality of product I received I frankly do not trust them. Their customer service is a joke. They should warn customers that any returns for any reason will cost 20% upfront before you actually make the purchase. I recommend purchasing from a reputable company like Amazon.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Happy with the purchase of a Canon Camera and Sigma Lens. The price points were reasonable and it was easy to reach out to the sales team to update my open order and ask questions. I feel that 42nd St Photo is a good fit for people that appreciate good customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I am enjoying the camera. I have had no problems with it and buying it online through 42nd Street Photo was easy and quick. I purchased the camera about a year ago and have gotten excellent photos so far and I expect to continue to improve as I get more familiar with the different features.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I ordered a Canon 24-105 MM lens and got exactly what I ordered in a very short time! I would and will be ordering from 42ND Street again when I need more camera gear! Great prices and prompt delivery! I have had great results with the lens and have told others where I got it and hope they go there too!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is the best lens I have ever had. I have been photographing for over 65 years and had not had as much fun as I have using this lens. I have told four friends about it and all have bought one and feel the same way as I do. Great lens...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The light weight of this camera allows for holding steady and getting better focus. This camera is easy to use and it is easy to pack when traveling. Great zoom for outdoor animal shots. Also good for close up shots.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Every time I shop at 42nd Street Photo I am super happy with the customer service and follow up they provide. I will always be buying my equipment through them because they are so easy to work with and always want to help! Thanks 42nd Street Photo!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Nikon D7200 purchase 2017 - Purchase from 42nd St because of good competitive price. Tried to upsell a warranty saying if not purchased it did not have one. Politely declined. Speedy delivery. Camera still fully functional. Should give these guys a go... However be careful of the aggressive warranty upsell.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I got the lens from 42nd Street Photo and it was exactly like they said. Everything was good with the customer service, but the lens was supposed to have auto-focus and it didn't have that. But for now, I’m okay with the manual focus.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Nikon Coolpix P610 - The camera came quickly when ordered and has worked well for the last two years. It's taken very good travel photos and videos; it focuses quickly, has a decent zoom, takes quality pictures, has a viewfinder for bright light situations, and has been rugged.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

42ND Street Photo has helpful & informative regarding the Nikon camera I was interested in. They were able to answer questions I had and identify accessories I needed. I was pleased with my purchase and later bought a telephoto lens from them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Do not do business with this company. I wish I had known how to dispute the order with PayPal and order UPS to reroute the package as I now see others have done. My camera works just fine, but the customer service was abhorrent and I wound up paying more than I would have through another approved Canon distributor. I'm still sick to my stomach over this deal. I ordered a camera and then was called and told it was the international model. I couldn't return it because I didn't want to pay the 20% restocking fee ($600 in my case). They didn't care about taking care of their customer or being complete jerks to me over the phone. If I could shut them down, I would.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I was in the market to upgrade from my Nikon D-60. I had taken some time to look through on line catalogs and videos, but still considered myself a novice when it came to digital photography. When I finally decided to go with the Nikon D5300. My question to the representative was about what lens to purchase. He took the time to talk with me and asked me several questions, What was I looking to shoot? What was my skill level, etc. I finally decided on the 18-140 lens and have been pleased with my purchase. He took my information told me when my order would be shipped and when I could expect it. He was a professional who at no time made me feel like a number and seemed genuinely concerned that my purchase would "fit me." When it comes time to purchase further equipment I would have no qualms in reaching out to 42nd Street Photo again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This was not my first purchase from the 42nd St. Photo, I still had ease of shopping and reliable service. From the generation of D20 DSLR to Mark IV, I had purchased several from the 42nd Photo. My experience was always great! I give them the best ratings.

42nd Street Photo Company Information