4.57/5
  • 1 star
Based on 131 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

584 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Very nice experience with 42nd Street so far. Anthony called ahead to let me know the order was going out and took time to educate me about the camera, battery pack, and memory card. He seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. Can't wait to get it!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The order was very easy to place. The website is easy to use. 42nd Street Photo contacted me immediately to clarify some issues about the order. Excellent customer service which encourages customers to come back. The price for the Canon Camera HS 60 was very competitive.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have always had great service from 42nd St with one exception and Anthony came to my rescue. I was sent the wrong lens hood for my 50mm prime lens and Anthony sent me the correct one. I am looking for a belt to hold two cameras so I will be calling Anthony soon. Yes, 42nd St is my go-to place for my camera needs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I ordered my camera and accessory kits online at 42nd Street Photo. It seemed like a fair price so I thought it was a deal. The online ordering process was smooth and the items came like they were supposed to. Overall, it was a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Nikon Coolpix P610 - I have been very pleased with this camera (extensive telephoto range without lens changing; image stabilization; wireless control and downloads are all great features). Dealing with 42nd St.Photo was a very pleasant experience -- knowledgeable, helpful, rapid response & delivery, and best prices. I dealt with this company many years ago in person, and have gone back to them a few times after I moved away from NYC area. Highly recommended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Very easy to order from the website. Called back right away to verify. Hard to find this lens from other seller. Best price I could find on the internet. Nice free gift for buying. Thanks for offering a good deal on this lens.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Experience on website great. Found the best price on Canon lens I needed. I will definitely purchase from 42nd Street Photo in future and recommend them to my friends. The site is well laid-out and easy to navigate, and the people (when I need to talk to them) are friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I always get excellent customer service when I call in with questions regarding lenses or cameras. They are very knowledgeable and give good advice. They always have great prices as well. I highly recommend 42nd Street Photo for all your DSLR camera needs.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Thank you Michael for guiding me through the purchase of my new camera. You took the time to answer my questions and help me make a better informed decision on the purchase. I bought a lens from your company a few months back and received the same courtesy. I will definitely be returning to your company for any future purchases.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I felt confident to purchase from 42nd Street because when I worked at U N C Charlotte they had the state contract for all photographic equipment. Now that I have retired, I have more time to spend taking photographs. The Fujifilm line is perfect for when you travel. I started taking photos while in the Army way back in 1959. I have owned a lot of cameras during that time, and sold photos to several magazines. I can truthfully say that the Fuji equipment that I own today is the best I have ever worked with.

Why Fuji and why the Pro 1. I had read good things about Fuji and wanted to give them a try. 42nd Street had the Pro 1 on sale and I bought while it was available (the Pro 2 had just been introduced). The size of the camera and its weight were perfect for me. What came straight out of the camera was great, and jpg's can be used instead of always using RAW but you can shoot both. And I have never had a camera before that people actually stop me and ask me what it is. "Is that a film camera?" No, it is a top of the line Digital Camera by Fujifilm.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Bought a few Canon cameras from 42nd St Photo & I am extremely please with the staff & service they provide & pricing is very competitive. Would recommend any of my friends to shop with them. Very easy to shop with them & delivery is fast & efficient.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Canon Rebel T5i - Good Camera, I ordered from California so I was looking for assurance that my order would be as advertised with no surprises, got just that. They took time to answer my questions and shipping was great. Good Experience. Thank You!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Found the camera I wanted at the best price. I have ordered from them before and always a good experience. Easy online ordering, and camera shipped out immediately. I received it within 48 hours. A great experience and I would happily buy from 42nd Street Photo again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I recently placed an online order with 42nd Street Photo for the Canon T7i camera and paid via PayPal. I selected them because they had the lowest price and best terms. A few days later, I got a call from them saying that I had ordered the international model instead of the USA model and yes, it would cost more (the same as all of the other sellers). Oh and by the way, I would need a memory card and a battery and they would give me a great deal and just charge my PayPal. I was in a rush at the time and authorized the additional $250. Once I got home, I looked at my PayPal account which was now $250 higher than the original purchase with no explanation of what I specifically bought. I emailed 42nd Street Photo asking for a cost breakdown. I followed up with a voice message. No response. I did some research and decided I did not want to do business with this company and wanted to cancel the order.

The next day I left another voice message. I called again and got a fast talking guy. I said I wanted to cancel the order because this was a complete bait and switch and he said that the order had already been shipped. I asked to talk to the manager and he said he was the manager. There was absolutely no customer service from him and I ended up hanging up on him. He called right back and then started to soft pedal and explained why I needed the $499 memory card (that they sold to me for "just" $99) and why I needed the $99 battery.

I explained that most memory cards are only about $35 and he retorted that the camera will not work to optimum unless I get this type of card. I said that the Canon battery is only $55 and he said this one is much better and lasts for six hours and blah, blah, blah!!! I got off the phone with him and then called Canon and found out that 42nd Street Photo is not an authorized Canon dealer. I called UPS who advised me to reroute the package back to the seller. I filed a dispute with PayPal and in less than a week PayPal refunded me. I would never again deal with 42nd Street Photo but great job PayPal and UPS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This was a good experience. It was easy to communicate with the person in the other side of the phone and excellent customer service. Far as my item, it arrived on time, it was just the one I need it, now everything is picture clear. I will buy it here for any other needs.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I always preferred 42nd Street Photo for all types of cameras' accessories. I was purchased a Nikon camera from 42nd Street Photo six months ago. They give me highest discount on my first purchase. Camera is also working properly.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I received a rather large package yesterday about 1702 hrs and need to get it off of my floor. I will need a few things first. First, your rules say that I will have to have an RMA number or you won’t receive it and second you are going to have to work on the dollar amounts that you placed on my credit card. You have already agreed to RMA the two memory chips that I told you I didn’t want and you claimed that you couldn’t remove them before shipping. That dollar amount needs to come off first. Next the first charge on my card was for $1949.00, I can only assume that was for my original request for an XA35 camera, that you so expertly talked me out of.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree it was the wrong camera for me and my uses. You suggested that I move up to an XF100. You are currently selling the XF100 for $1699.00, which by my calculation is a drop in price from the original request. Yet the $1949.00 still remains on the card and you so graciously added another $840.99 to bring the grand total to $2789.99. The list of zeros that follow that figure on your online invoice doesn’t explain how you came to that amount.

You also told me that because the XF100 you were selling me was a “Display Model” that you would knock off $100.00. It doesn’t appear that statement was true. You also offered me a “Tripod” for free, even though I told you I didn’t want or need it, but as it turns out you didn’t even do that. Instead you listed a “Monopod” and as I already explained in prior correspondence, to me that would be very unstable for my use. Your invoice shows two cleaning kits, who needs all of that cleaning power unless the stuff you are selling is really dirty. The battery you list is an older one and probably used as well. My research says that that battery can be had for between $30.00 and $50.00. Cannon calls for the BP-955 or the BP-975 for the XF100 and the XF200. The XF100 has a built in “ND” neutral density filter so one third of the high priced lens kit is not needed. The Polarizer and UV filters maybe.

I am also at fault for not stopping this fiasco early when I felt that I was dealing with a high pressure “Used Car Salesman”, but here we are, a small town country boy who believes that he has been ripped off by a big city slicker. Your action on this will determine my next move. I know that I will have to pay for returning this oversized monstrosity of a box and can accept that, but I will not abide the fraudulent “ADP” added dealer profit of your restocking fee. I need you to provide me the dollar amounts for the “Zero” entrees on your invoice, because as it stands now the $2789.99 is truly a magic, pulled out of the air number. Do you have a boss? If so, I would like to send him/her a copy of my feelings as well.

My family has moved our Christmas to the 28th to accommodate work conflicts as well as being short the one thing I needed to have. Thanks for getting it to me as quickly as you promised. Oh by the way, the UPS ticket says the box weighs 14lbs, but my very accurate H.V.A.C. scale says 17lbs 8oz. Maybe you all need to recalibrate your shipping dept equipment. Let’s get this sorted out as quickly as possible and please, have a wonderful Christmas. I surely wish this transaction could have gone in a better direction. I am waiting for an RMA so that I can send this unopened box back to them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Unfortunately, I had to cancel an order before it shipped. It was my own fault but your representative was very understanding and said it was no problem. I have ordered from 42nd Street before and always had excellent service. I'll be back.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I’ve been doing a lot of research on the internet looking for equipment and cameras and I’ve seen a lot of information about 42nd Street. They have a really good website and it's easy to navigate. They have a lot of equipment and they seem to be fairly priced. I’m fairly new to photography so I’m into getting filters and lenses and caps and a lot of different things. So far, I’ve never had any problems navigating their website or finding what I wanted.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Nikon SB700 - Could not be happier. Good price for flash. Received 2 days after ordering. Got a confirmation call to check to see if I wanted to have a signature required shipment. Much appreciated. Would recommend to friend. Have used B&H in the past, but will consider changing to 42nd Street.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Purchased a Nikon D750 from 42nd only to find the camera did not work properly. They DO NOT STAND BEHIND THE WARRANTY!!! They sell "International" equipment with no original manufacturer's warranty! The warranty sold by 42nd is worthless (CPSCentral). The scam is to claim you damaged the equipment and have pay for a repair. Oh, the repair is only $400+!!! Your best bet is to purchase your camera equipment from a reputable dealer, it will cost less in the end. Take your money elsewhere! Gray market and worthless warranty.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I grew up in New York and 42nd Street Photo has been around ever since I can remember. I'm familiar with them and I also saw them on the internet. I purchased a camera from them several years ago and I remember a basically positive experience. They do a good job and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

First exactly what happened. I recently placed an order with 42nd Street Photo. I wanted to buy a camera and 3 lenses. I also wanted to get 2 extended warranties. I talked with them a few day before to ask about the items. They were very pleasant and professional. I was told that they were running a special on the warranties and that all I had to do was buy the accidental dmg portion: the extended warranty was free. (I was thinking this as a loss-leader to get people to buy from them). 9:35 AM EST - I called and talked to the same person I had before. The prices were correct for the hardware. But the warranties were about $150 more than I expected. I assumed that I simply didn't remember correctly so I went for it. The total he gave me was 2009. He asked if I need memory. I said yes. I told him I wanted the SanDisk Extreme Pro (95mb/sec write). He said I needed a 150/mb sec mb card. The SanDisk runs about $35.

He said the new card listed for $299 but he could give it to me for $135. I said no. He said he could give me a package deal for 2099 for the card and everything. It seemed high, but he had other callers and so I placed the order. 9:40 AM EST - I placed the order. After the call, I added up the items without the memory card it added up to $1903 - not 2009. I verified and reverified the numbers (I even put them in Excel). 10:00 AM - I called back to get an explication and he gave me the run around. Among other things he said that once you make it a "Package" deal, the individual prices do matter and it only the package deal". He would not let me talk. When I finally was able to say something, I said that the package price should not be more than the individual prices. He ignored me. I said I wanted to cancel the order. He said no, it had already been shipped. (Yea, right, they put the order together and UPS picked up the package in 20 minutes).

I asked to talk to the manager. He said he was a manager. He said all calls are recorded. After 10 minutes of him giving me the run around I hung up. 10:10- 10:30 am EST - I called back 3-4 times asking for the manager each time. Each time I was transferred back to the original person. At no time was I abusive, name calling or using bad language, 10:30 - I called my credit card and disputed the charge. My intention was too simple. No sign for the delivery and dispute the charge. Say that I never received the order so the restocking fee does not apply. 10:40 - I received a call from someone else at 42nd Street Photo. He explained that the order had been "sent to shipping". There was a return policy that I could use. He refused to cancel the order.

I told him my plans about not signing for the order. It says in their policies that all orders need to be signed for. If the customer requests that no signature is required then it the customer responsibility. So, I told him, if he changes the signature requirements it would be on him, not me. He finally relented and canceled the order. He said that he would "have to send someone all the way down to shipping" to stop the order. He also said that I was a very bad person for doing this and he hoped that I had this done to me in my business. Their business have a number of levels of anti consumer practices. - Try and sell unneeded hardware. I did not need the 150mb/sec memory. According to all documentation and actual speed tests a 95mb /sec is all that is needed for the camera. (This would have up the price from $35 to $135 on the first offer and $35 to $93 on the final price).

Make package deals. Their return policy states that packages cannot be broken up. So if someone wanted to return a single item, they can't. They have to return all items. The restocking fee is 20%. Wow. So in my case, if I wanted to return items, after I received it, it would have cost me $420. I would imagine they are hoping that many people would not return the items at such a high cost. - Items go right away to shipping. This means that if you want to cancel the order, in most cases, you have to get the delivery and then return it. But you would probably have to talk to original person. - When you call back to complain, you have no way to contact anyone except the person you had a problem with.

When you try to return or complain about anything, they talk at you from many angles, trying to confuse you and to get you to accept the situation. They said the package price outweighs the individual price, I was getting a good deal on the memory, my math was wrong, I was a bad person, they have been in business for 50 years. All the while talking in the fast New York speed. I was able to cancel the order, eventually, but only because I was persistent, knew their policies and knew my rights. All in all it was a very bad experience and caution anyone dealing with 42nd Street Photo to know what you want beforehand and be careful.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I started with 42nd Street Photo a year ago and bought some stuff from them. Ordering online was easy and their price was good.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I purchased Canon T6i from 42nd Street Photo about a year ago and I had very pleasant experience while purchasing the product and I am still satisfied a year later. The camera works great and I do not have any problems with it. I would recommend this place.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I bought this lens from Adam, he was super helpful and knowledgeable about this product. A tamron 150/600 lens. This is the first time for me buying from your co. The experience was so good that I would recommend Adam and your Co.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I've bought cameras and camera lenses from 42nd Street Photo over the years due to their price and quality. I go through the online ordering process and it's easy to navigate. I usually always check there first and I have recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

All my ordering and products were received with a prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service. The representative was very helpful and that is why I have purchased additional equipment from them. I HIGHLY recommend 42nd St Photo to anyone trying to get started in Photography or the experienced alike.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The sales agent was very courteous and helpful and followed up to be sure everything was received in proper order. The price was the best that I could find. Shipping and delivery were very fast. I would definitely purchase from vendor again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Panasonic DMC-FP1000 camera - I enjoy using my new camera very much. I've even taking it on mission trips in other countries. Its only limitations have been my own experience in using photographic equipment. It is an excellent piece of equipment. I would recommend this camera to anyone.

42nd Street Photo Company Information

www.42ndphoto.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use