4.66/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

42nd Street Photo

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

555 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

All my ordering and products were received with a prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service. The representative was very helpful and that is why I have purchased additional equipment from them. I HIGHLY recommend 42nd St Photo to anyone trying to get started in Photography or the experienced alike.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The sales agent was very courteous and helpful and followed up to be sure everything was received in proper order. The price was the best that I could find. Shipping and delivery were very fast. I would definitely purchase from vendor again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Panasonic DMC-FP1000 camera - I enjoy using my new camera very much. I've even taking it on mission trips in other countries. Its only limitations have been my own experience in using photographic equipment. It is an excellent piece of equipment. I would recommend this camera to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Sales Associate was helpful and knowledgeable. Camera case was received in a very timely manner. It works perfectly with my Nikon D7200 with the Nikon 18-300mm lens as well as additional storage room for an extra battery. I use the camera case on an extra waist belt so it's easy to take wherever I go.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I spend a good amount of time in Resurrection Bay, Alaska where opportunities for great shots of marine creatures are ever present. Being a rank photography amateur, I wanted a system that would do all of thinking and reach out to touch the subjects. The D5500 and 55-300mm VR lens have more than satisfied that desire particularly when shooting from a rocking boat. The composition and resolution of the photos have been praised by friends and strangers alike. I now have pleasant memories on disk to enable me to reflect on the good times in the past. I purchased the camera and lens from 42nd Street Photo and found the pricing and service to be outstanding.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I'm a professional photographer and I purchased a camera 5D Mark 4 from the store 42nd street photo try to save money, very nice price $3099 and the lens 24-70. I was so excited and happy, after a month the camera broke down on the middle of the wedding and I call them. They said, "Bring the camera in we will check it." I asked for the replacement, they refused. They told me that they gonna send it to the Canon to fix, after 4 weeks Instead 7 business days like that promise. After a week the camera broke down again, I went to the store again and I was **. I told him I want my money back. They told me no way, they going to send again!

The store manager sent again the camera to the Canon and on the third time the camera broke down on the middle of the wedding. After big argument they didn't gave me money but they did replace a camera, and the new camera broke down on the middle of the wedding AGAIN! After ** 4 weddings. I wrote to so many places to ask for help to get my money back. It ended that they replace again the camera with the used one and not from the bo!!! I'm very disappointed from this store and I'm never gonna get stuff from them again. I was tired to argue with them. I spent $300 on the parking garage!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I bought a lens from them for my Nikon and although they had the best price the "salesman" called before shipping and with a poor phone connection asked me something about plastic or glass. I said glass without thinking twice he said goodbye and I got hit with a cheap glass lens cover for an extra $80 bucks! Live and learn. I will buy from them again "probably" but I will say no when the man with the poor phone connection calls!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

The Tamaro Telephoto lens is fantastic, images are equal in quality to what I get with my Nikon Telephoto lens. No problems whatsoever, does everything I expected, close up and telephoto images are superb. Great value product and would (have) recommended to friends.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

42nd Street Photo had good prices and I find their service commendable, so I keep using them as my retailer. I mostly buy cameras and the customer service is good. The online ordering process is too easy and they include something like a warranty, so I have to pay more money for warranty, which is all good. They should give me more discounts because I’m a good customer, but they never gave me promotion codes. All in all, 42nd Photo is good and they offer quality products and convincible service. I always recommend their store to all of my friends.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I bought a Canon PowerShot G7 X from 42nd Street Photo and the price was better than Amazon. Also, about six months ago, I got a call from 42nd Street and they said that if I filled out a survey, I'll get a free SD card. And I did that and I got the SD card.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I purchased digital cameras from 42nd Street. I found them the easiest over other retailers. Plus, they were quite affordable. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This price for the Canon ES body was excellent and the quick service was also good. The camera and supporting equipment purchase with it worked well. I would recommend others to use this service. As I expand my photo service in the machinery industry, I will use them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have purchased a year back and have got it best price. Nikon D750 is the best camera I have ever used. I have taken most of the pictures using Aperture, Program & Manual mode. The best lightweight SLR camera to roam around???

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We are a team of photography professionals and often require high end cameras lens and other supporting equipments. We came across the 42nd Street Photo store all our needs met with this. We are so highly satisfied with the services of the store.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We’ve done business with 42nd Street Photo over the years. I grew up in New York and I was familiar with them and I still am. They’re reputable and they’ve been in business for so many years. And it’s worth checking with them if you’re going to buy some camera equipment. Their prices are good and that’s been my experience over the years. I strictly order online because I don’t live in New York City anymore. The navigation was fine and I could check out the pricing on items that I was interested in. I've only had positive experiences dealing with 42nd Street Photo and I would definitely recommend them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Overcharged and Deceptive practices. Ordered a Nikon 18-55 lens, three versions exist and found the original G version on their web site for $119. I received the compact GII version and sent photos I got the wrong item. Adam responded quickly with information to contact Elliot in returns. Upon calling I was first told, "You ordered the wrong lens" but then I hear him say there is a product description mismatch on their site. He issued an RMA and I paid $34.27 to ship it back to them. I was told upon receipt they would send out the correct lens and it was $50 more. I'm perfectly fine with that - though it was an error with their presentation of the product - and I'm paying to return it? Okay, what choice do I have? I had sent various photos so it was clear what I was wanting.

The replacement lens arrived, no invoice in the box and I notice the box shows VR II. I open it up and it's the GII model I sent back! I sent additional photos and ultimately said I'll keep the lens but want a refund for $50 since it was an overcharge since it's the GII AGAIN! I've already wasted $35 in shipping it back. I received a call from Elliot and he tells me I received the AF-P lens the first time. So there are three different scenarios they have claimed, I ordered the wrong item, it was a product mismatch, now I received a different lens the first time! I stated that wasn't the case and had photos from the first lens I received (I already sent them once). Elliot was confident I was wrong and said he wanted to see the photos, which I sent. I simply stated I would contest the charges since I received the incorrect lens, spent $35 to return it, then got the same lens back.

I have email documentation and photos and still they want to ignore my request and make it out that I am not being truthful. If I received the AF-P lens which they sell for $179, comes with a lens hood and cap, why does the invoice I have from the first lens show AF-S and the lens is AF-S? Why would I get charged $119 and then pay $35 to send it back for a less expensive lens. Even when I first ordered Adam asked, "Dont you want the newer version? This would only be warranted for 30 days. I can sell you an extended warranty if you like." When I said no he even stated they would cut me a deal on the warranty. I still declined - I wanted the older version G. I didn't pay restocking fees because... they knew wrong lens was sent. It seems someone mispicked or something as Adam seemed helpful then. Once I dealt with returns it was like a bait and switch.

The $119 lens magically no longer existed on their web site and they are not responding to my legitimate request. I'll be filing a bait and switch claim with the FTC and contesting with my credit card company. I've got photos and documentation that show I have been honest and received the wrong lens twice. Even the current lens on their website - when you view the photos it's a G, not GII and is listed as $169. Their web site does not offer detailed information on one's order which makes it difficult to prove a bait and switch occurred.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have appreciated the courteous service and prompt shipments from 42nd St. Photo. My initial experience was with Adam who listened to my needs and offered excellent advice on the type of camera and lens to purchase based on my interests. He also made sure I understood what I was purchasing and took great care of me. He was also very personable and addressed any concerns I might have. I've made several purchases including a Nikon D500 and lenses. I am pleased with what I have. I also appreciated additional courteous consideration from another customer service agent, Jonathan when addressing some questions I had. I recommend 42nd St. Photo!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

30 years ago I was a buyer from 42nd Street that gave the best service then. Today I'm sill getting the best service with 42nd Street. I Recommend them highly in sales and customer service... They what they're doing.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I bought my camcorder and my experience was so good. 42 Photo offer me an excellent quality of service. I contact customer service because I want to know some details of my new camcorder. They give good answers to all my queries and also offer me good support. They know very well all the things that we want to know about the latest product. 42 Photo also offers great prices and promotions.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Excellent experience started with knowledgeable sales person. He was able to respond to my requirements and recommended an excellent lens and filter. Pricing is fair and the shipment was received in short order. The representative clearly had deep knowledge of the Nikon system.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

As I was looking to buy my professional camera I did search many sites and 42nd Street Photo gave me the better pricing among the other online distributors. I was very pleased with the service, prompt delivery and condition of my Canon 6D camera. Will shop again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Was very pleased with the product, prompt shipping and very good customer service. I have made several purchase from your company and have always been very pleased with the result. I will continue to look at your company for purchases in the future.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

While searching the internet for the cheapest price on the Canon G7X Mark II camera, I came across 42nd Street Photo's website. The camera was significantly cheaper than any other sites, so it made me skeptical at first. I did some searching for the legitimacy of the site and found many good reviews, and after purchasing from 42nd Street Photo, I agree with the other reviews I previously read. I am very happy with my purchase and the money I saved by buying from this site. From now on, if I have any camera related needs, I will start at 42nd Street Photo.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I love my Canon T-6i. I purchased it for a great price at 42nd Street Camera. Thanks for the help and the camera. I take photos of my grandchildren and can stop their action without flash with this camera. I enjoy my photography.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I placed an order for a Christmas present and was shocked at how fast I received it, not to mention it came with a warranty and I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. I'm happy to say they offered the absolute best price on my camera too! I am an internet shopper and I do a lot of price comparing. Although I was a bit skeptical ordering from NYC (I'm in CA) it was no problem. I also called and had questions; which were promptly answered. I recommend 42nd Street Photo to anyone looking for the best priced, quality and shipping anywhere on the internet!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Resolution response: Aug. 21, 2017

I had a very positive response from a customer service representative who jumped over backwards to please me, both offering a refund and gifting me the items I was trying to return. I could not have asked for more! Whether I simply ran into someone having a bad day or actually bumped into bad company policy is not clear to me at this point, but my frustrations have been pacified. I am changing my rating based on this resolution as I could not see a way to simply delete my review.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I thought I had found a great deal on my Nikon P900 until I received the invoice which was over $800 for a $519 sale price on the camera with extras I ordered without clarity about their value (namely the memory card $120 and battery $60). When I tried to get information about returning those rip off items, none was given so I returned them within a few days of receipt. Five weeks later they were received back home, refused back in NY because there was no return order number. Relieved that they had not been lost in the mail I tried to get clear directions and refund confirmation and was given the run around.

With their exorbitant 20% restocking fee I am wondering if the $140 refund is worth all this frustration? The customer service here sucks! I am used to dealing with companies like Sierra Trading Post, Chaco, REI, and even Amazon who deliver caring customer service. The honesty here seems to be marginal at best. The way things are communicated is clearly to disguise the facts, push the upgrades and extras and to sell you the most expensive options available. I would gladly pay full retail with an honest outfit rather than try to save a few bucks through 42nd St Photo.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

42nd Street Photo had the item I wanted. I bought something from their market and that was great. I had a beautiful experience and I told my friend about them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I purchased my 5d Mark III from this store online. I was a bit shaky as a first timer. Especially with that kind of money but everything went smoothly. The best part is that there are people in the background to communicate with and help you understand if you have any questions.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Sony RC 100 - I've used 42nd Street over the years and have Always had excellent interactions with the personnel and had fair pricing and prompt service. I know my purchases or sales are safe and secure. Being a westerner I also get a kick out of their wacky New York accents on the phone.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I appreciated the honest and low non-sense opinions I received regarding my purchase. I have purchased from several web based retailers but very few have the selection, information and price point that these guys offer. Delivery was quick and my Leica was a great choice.

42nd Street Photo Company Information