Call toll free
4.52/5

New York, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1955 We specialize in Digital Camera Equipment as well as Digital Video Equipment. We carry a large assortment of the most updated equipment from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Etc.

680 42nd Street Photo Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was thinking about trading cameras. I saw the thing on 42nd Street then I talked to the guy and told him what I had. He came back with a price for trade-in and it was a good deal, so I went with them. Navigating through their website was good but I noticed that it tends to load slowly for some reason. When I was looking at camera bodies and lenses, and I clicked on an item, I sat there and watched that bar go across. It was just slowing it though it was not really long. But it was longer than I'm used to.

Other than that, I got a used camera which they listed in good condition but it is way better than good. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all and I am really happy with it. I've been using it and it works great. I got it for a little less than I thought it would be. I know that my previous camera was discontinued, but it is still a pretty popular camera and it has a lot of nice features on it. With the one I got from 42nd Street, there are a lot of features that I wasn't used to and I was stumped.

All in all, I was really pleased with my experience and I was surprised that it worked out. The communication was also good and the camera got here in a timely manner. It was well-packed and it came in a factory box. It had the lens and the charger, which was good, but it didn't have the operator's manual in it. Most of the time, you don't even read those things, though. They're thick, have a lot of information, and a lot of people just figure out how to use their cameras. Also, I got on the internet and some guy had one for eight bucks, so I jumped in on that.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had to send them my supposed brand new camera- Nikon B700- back to them to be repaired because the camera drains the battery overnight every time. They just sent it back and they didn't fix the problem. Don't buy anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Excellent service and exceeded all delivery expectations. It was hard to compare price with Amazon due to their multiplicity of bundles and prices. But I feel I paid a fair price for this and the pricing was easy to understand.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I was pleased and surprised when the store representative called me to confirm my order and shipping instructions - a great guy. He was also able to answer several questions I had about fit with particular cameras. Now I feel secure about my purchase and delivery.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I ordered a camera and two lenses for my wife. My wife is a published professional photographer. We have numerous Canon cameras and lenses so we are not naive when it comes to Canon products. So I purchase a new 5Ds and when we receive it this is what we found. 1) It was an opened box resealed with 42nd St's label and a sticker over the factory product ID. 2) There was a missing part which they replaced. 3) The battery was from 2015 and would not take a full charge. We bought in September 2018. 4) The setting were reset from factory specs by another customer in Los Angels, CA. So it is a used camera. 5) When we tried to take a picture it would not. The shutter would not actuate. The camera just does not work.

So I called for a refund and was told I was making things up and there would be a 20% restocking fee. $599.80 for a used, broken, defective camera. The representative was argumentative, obnoxious, uncaring and accused me of making things up. They did offer to send a replacement, but after the treatment I received and the quality of product I received I frankly do not trust them. Their customer service is a joke. They should warn customers that any returns for any reason will cost 20% upfront before you actually make the purchase. I recommend purchasing from a reputable company like Amazon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 378 5th Photo Corp?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Happy with the purchase of a Canon Camera and Sigma Lens. The price points were reasonable and it was easy to reach out to the sales team to update my open order and ask questions. I feel that 42nd St Photo is a good fit for people that appreciate good customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I am enjoying the camera. I have had no problems with it and buying it online through 42nd Street Photo was easy and quick. I purchased the camera about a year ago and have gotten excellent photos so far and I expect to continue to improve as I get more familiar with the different features.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I ordered a Canon 24-105 MM lens and got exactly what I ordered in a very short time! I would and will be ordering from 42ND Street again when I need more camera gear! Great prices and prompt delivery! I have had great results with the lens and have told others where I got it and hope they go there too!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is the best lens I have ever had. I have been photographing for over 65 years and had not had as much fun as I have using this lens. I have told four friends about it and all have bought one and feel the same way as I do. Great lens...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The light weight of this camera allows for holding steady and getting better focus. This camera is easy to use and it is easy to pack when traveling. Great zoom for outdoor animal shots. Also good for close up shots.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Every time I shop at 42nd Street Photo I am super happy with the customer service and follow up they provide. I will always be buying my equipment through them because they are so easy to work with and always want to help! Thanks 42nd Street Photo!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Nikon D7200 purchase 2017 - Purchase from 42nd St because of good competitive price. Tried to upsell a warranty saying if not purchased it did not have one. Politely declined. Speedy delivery. Camera still fully functional. Should give these guys a go... However be careful of the aggressive warranty upsell.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I got the lens from 42nd Street Photo and it was exactly like they said. Everything was good with the customer service, but the lens was supposed to have auto-focus and it didn't have that. But for now, I’m okay with the manual focus.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Nikon Coolpix P610 - The camera came quickly when ordered and has worked well for the last two years. It's taken very good travel photos and videos; it focuses quickly, has a decent zoom, takes quality pictures, has a viewfinder for bright light situations, and has been rugged.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

42ND Street Photo has helpful & informative regarding the Nikon camera I was interested in. They were able to answer questions I had and identify accessories I needed. I was pleased with my purchase and later bought a telephoto lens from them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Do not do business with this company. I wish I had known how to dispute the order with PayPal and order UPS to reroute the package as I now see others have done. My camera works just fine, but the customer service was abhorrent and I wound up paying more than I would have through another approved Canon distributor. I'm still sick to my stomach over this deal. I ordered a camera and then was called and told it was the international model. I couldn't return it because I didn't want to pay the 20% restocking fee ($600 in my case). They didn't care about taking care of their customer or being complete jerks to me over the phone. If I could shut them down, I would.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I was in the market to upgrade from my Nikon D-60. I had taken some time to look through on line catalogs and videos, but still considered myself a novice when it came to digital photography. When I finally decided to go with the Nikon D5300. My question to the representative was about what lens to purchase. He took the time to talk with me and asked me several questions, What was I looking to shoot? What was my skill level, etc. I finally decided on the 18-140 lens and have been pleased with my purchase. He took my information told me when my order would be shipped and when I could expect it. He was a professional who at no time made me feel like a number and seemed genuinely concerned that my purchase would "fit me." When it comes time to purchase further equipment I would have no qualms in reaching out to 42nd Street Photo again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This was not my first purchase from the 42nd St. Photo, I still had ease of shopping and reliable service. From the generation of D20 DSLR to Mark IV, I had purchased several from the 42nd Photo. My experience was always great! I give them the best ratings.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I’ve been taking photos for many many years. I followed the advertisements of 42nd Street Photo in camera magazines and I liked the price. Getting around their website was fine. 42nd Street Photo is a good store and I’d probably use them again in the future.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently ordered a Nikon lens and was told it was a USA model. When the lens arrived, there was no manual and no warranty card and the package was poorly packaged. I notified them and wanted to send the lens back and they informed me that to do so would require a 20 percent restocking fee. They also said that they would send the warranty card and thus far it has not appeared. I have tried to call Michael at the store and have left several messages and have not received a call back. I also spoke with someone else in the store who assured me that Michael will call me back. My frustration is that I was charged for a US lens and later found out that they are not an authorized US dealer for Nikon and I believe the lens to be a grey lens. The serial number is not a US model. Thus far my lens works but I do not appreciate being told one thing and being sent something else. I will not be using them in the future.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Nikon D5500 body - Did my order hassle free, great experience. Thank you, I was recommended by my good friend Mike **, he was the one who told me about your company. I will keep buying studio and video supplies as needed. Thanks again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I wanted a zoom lens for my Nikon D5100. Online search led me to 42nd Street Photo, which carried the lens I was looking for (Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G IF-ED) at a good price. Ordering was easy, shipment was quick, and I love the lens.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The service that you have is very nice & helpful, your staff are very knowledgeable & Polite with the products you sell. I will always call 42nd St. Photo for pricing for all my camera needs. Thank you Very Much for your Service.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My Nikon 7200 camera was shipped promptly, and securely. They even called me to let me know of some available promotions that I had not seen when I purchased it. Love the camera. Love the photos it takes. Love the experience. First rate all the way.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

1) They lie: They lied about the model being a USA model, they lied about the model being used for Nikon professional services points, they lied about my contact with PayPal, and lied several times about "grey market." They repeatedly lied to me and tried to make me believe that Nikon will put overseas serial numbers on "Dealer special" cameras, telling me over and over again that I had a USA model when I know, and Nikon knew, along with the hundreds of other photographers I deal with on Facebook, that is not the case.

2) 42nd Street Photo is not a Nikon dealer: I called Nikon and talked to them in depth about the grey market cameras. Grey market cameras are worthless as far as Nikon letting you get it repaired, it counting towards your NPS points, and tech support. Adam lied! (According to several post online the warranty that 42nd Street Photo gives you instead, sucks. They try to get you to accept it as a better one than what Nikon has because it is a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year warranty). Look on Nikon's site for authorized dealers, at the very bottom of the page.

3) They will bait and switch: When you order something from them you will most likely get a phone call about your order, and then they will try to sell you more stuff, and they are pretty pushy about you needing it. In my case, my order went from $3,079 to $3,999.99 after I was assured I would be getting a USA model and not a grey market model. As a matter of fact, I was so concerned I called them back the day I placed my order and was again told that I would be getting a USA model. (They jacked up the price big time, and I still got a grey market camera). 4) Per the website: "There is a twenty % restocking fee for all returns"...20%!!! That means I would have had to pay almost $800 on a $3,999 order...it's almost 1/4 the full price. They require an RMA on all returns or they will not accept your return.

5) PayPal is your friend: When I finally filed a PayPal dispute, the next day Adam calls me and lies to me again, saying that he just talked to PayPal and PayPal wants "us" to just do an exchange for a USA model. By this point I was pretty disgusted at Adam and his tactics so I told him "sure", knowing damn well that it was a way to stall the complaint long enough for PayPal to drop it so that they can send me another "gray" camera! But the final straw was when I contacted PayPal, and told them what Adam had said. PayPal verified that he, in fact, had lied! Adam, and 42nd Street Photo, had not even contacted PayPal and PayPal had not talked to them. It was at this point PayPal escalated the claim.

6) Honesty would go a long way: I wish these guys would drop the shady, sneaky, lying sales and just be honest. I mean, I was told by Adam that they don't advertise that all of the cameras (Nikon) are gray! (This alone is deceitful.) I mean, come on! I know people that would gladly pay for a gray cam to save a few bucks. Just be honest! I loved the store and the layout and I buy tons of gear every year, but I will not buy from this place ever again! They would have to send me a USA model cam for free, and guess what...THEY DON'T HAVE THEM! (Well, maybe they have used ones they would sell you for a new price, I really would not put it past these people.)

7) As of this writing I am waiting for a response from PayPal that they have responded to the complaint. They have until July 21st to respond. I bought the Camera on July 4th, so, all things being the best scenario, I should have my money back after about a month of this BS! I can't order another Camera until I get my money back, so it's added yet more time wasted on waiting...UGH! Please take heed! DO NOT use this store! No matter how awesome they sound, how nice they are to you, how much free stuff they send you, (junk) don't waste your time and money at 42nd Street Photo in New York!

8 ) Protect yourself: My claim with PayPal was un-answered for days, but finally I received a notice to send the camera back for a refund. At this point of the transaction I was so angry I felt that I had to protect myself. When I shipped it back, I placed insurance on the package for the full amount, and here's why. 42nd Street Photo had been so dishonest, I felt that it was possible that they would receive the camera and claim it was damaged, trying to keep the money and the camera. So shipping the camera back cost me a total of 97 dollars. Now according to PayPal, anything over a value of $750 has to be signed for, and I was told as soon as it was delivered I would receive my refund and the matter would be closed.

9) Conclusion: I have my money back after 15 days of wasted time. They didn't even bother to respond to the case on PayPal. I am telling my fellow photographers, do not take the chance! Don't waste your time and money dealing with these people. Of course, this is just how I feel, but several people have had this kind of crappy stuff happen to them too! Just look around and check out the ratings on Better Business Bureau, Yelp, and other places. I don't think my review could actually be brutally honest enough. This is what happened to me, and it can happen to you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Paid the $39.33 extra to have the a Nikon D3300 camera here in two days but they sent it ground (5 days). I needed this for my cousin's wedding this weekend. Called Customer Service and they said they were out of the Nikon D3300 and I got the last one so they could not overnight another one?! They said there is nothing they could do. Refused to call UPS to correct as well. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

42nd St. Photo has a great selection of cameras and equipment and were very helpful in getting me this camera. Their prices were the best and the service can't be beat. Their telephone ordering was very helpful and their online ordering is quick and easy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We were very impressed with the lens kit and accessories. We went on an Alaskan cruise. In the future I would like to add a swivel flash with some type of soft light feature or attachment. Also, I should have purchased a light weight tripod vs a mono pod.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I use this lens for over a year with Sony Alpha 7S R-II. I have no problem with electronics/mechanics or manual performance of the lens. All videos and pictures have very good clarity and quality with a short and long zoom range.

Original review: July 31, 2018

42nd Street Photo was excellent to deal with. I was interested in a Nikon lens and found that they had it in stock. The sales person was very knowledgeable and able to answer all of my questions. After I received the lens, I changed my mind and wanted to exchange it for another Nikon model. I called and it was no problem. I ordered the new one and sent the old one back, and have been happy ever since. Thank You to 42nd Street Photo!

42nd Street Photo Company Information