1.6/5 (32 ratings)

About Roku

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have Roku. I was having problems with my roku so I contacted support. They sent me to a website which I paid 1.00. I did. The very next page they wanted me to pay 46.00. No way. I hung up. I was charged the 46.00 anyway. No one could help me when I called. I got bounced around from one department to another. Never fixed the problem. Now the bank is helping me with the dispute. So angry.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We have a 2+ year old Roku streaming stick for our motorhome, and it has worked well for us. Around the 1st of July we broke a USB end off a cable used to power the Roku stick, and I logged in to my Roku account to see if I could purchase a new cable. The accessories page said the cable I found was compatible with my Roku stick, so we ordered it. When it arrived I could tell it was not what we needed and would not work with our Roku stick.

I contacted Roku to return it and thought since it was what their website said was correct they would stand behind the sale and get me the correct part. They will accept the return and credit the $10 to my account but I need to pay the return postage, even though it was their web page they told me what to buy. Since the part is $10 and the postage to send it back is about $10, I have decided just to through the wrong part away and consider other streaming services. The customer support is slow, not very supportive, and every communication I had ended up being with a new person. Probably the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Bought a Roku and has continuous glitches of by "lost internet connection". I have great internet service so it's the TV!!! It's the worst TV I have ever used!!! It's a complete joke of a product and how this brand stays in business is beyond me.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I left these Charlatans long ago after they began discontinuing devices that were only a couple years old. They also aren't good people or friends of the community from their actions and companies they support. I've tried to unsubscribe, contact them numerous times, I'm not getting any responses and still getting the SPAM. You can read the reviews yourself and see that they are posted by the company. Most of them are not legitimate experiences or written as such. People don't come to Consumer Affairs to write about positive experiences, they write to warn others and get help for their problems. Consumer Affairs doesn't validate these reviews well! I'm disabled and rely on my computer as a connection to the world. I have lots of time now to spend warning other people of this nefarious and iniquitous behaviors of these crooks! ROKU IS A SCAM! DO NOT SUPPORT THEM!

Original review: June 7, 2022

When I first started with Fubo through Roku it was well worth the money. My husband and I decided that we were going to get rid of cable and just stream on Fubo. The cost $64.99 a month. Then when we were making our decision about the two we went to login to Fubo with no luck. I called Fubo to see what the problem was and they said that Roku was the company that was taking the money out for this service every month, and I would have to get in touch with them. Trying to get in touch with the company either by phone or email has been impossible. Since March of 2022 I have been charge the $64.99 and not been able to watch Fubo. Still have not been able to cancel or watch Fubo on my Roku TV or any other device. Roku is not worth the money when you cannot talk to someone when something goes wrong!

Original review: June 7, 2022

Purchased a Roku tv box a few months ago and have nothing but issues with it. Disconnects from the internet with full Wi-Fi bars, can’t reconnect it for days on end, did all the steps the device states to do…still won’t connect, searched online for any sources without any luck. The reason we purchased this item to begin with is we really like our Roku tvs we have in our home so we bought tv boxes for our non-Roku smart tvs. Best bet is to just spend the money and purchase a whole Roku tv and not just a Roku tv box because it’s nothing but a hassle, or go with a whole new brand!

Original review: June 1, 2022

I installed the Roku Streaming Stick 4K which worked for a couple of days but would then lose signal. The only way to restart it was to insert the stick into another port where it would then work for two days and go out. Not OK. Even if I was willing to do this exercise every couple of days, it would NEVER stay on the Captions ON setting. Since I am hard of hearing this was unacceptable. Unfortunately so many knowledgeable people tried to make it work that I missed the 30 days return date. I had a Roku for many years before this which worked perfectly until it stopped being updated. I am very disappointed with this product.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Roku is a good alternative to cable, unless you need help. Do not expect support or you will be disappointed. Usually roku works and has loads of viewing options. Sometimes it doesn't work right or you cannot stream as usual. When you log in there is a selection for help, but no way to ask specific question. No chat with customer service. No email address to send question. There is a FAQ page, if you're are lucky that might be of help, if not it certainly seems like their position is, once you are a customer you are on your own to resolve issues.

Original review: April 9, 2022

Roku I thought was ok till they took a lot of money and said I didn't have a pin. Password wasn't good enough..then accused me of sharing my tv with others.. If I remove my info they can't return my money. They never returned it.. One star to give review.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Roku Products are good as long as you don't need support. My chat windows mysteriously go away when they don't want to answer and they don't seem to be able to answer any subscription questions, they have to refer you. I lost several months of my acorn subscription because they just couldn't help. I am stuck with Roku devices but fortunately I can get to Prime Video which has everything I want and "Customer Service too". I will not be purchasing anything Roku in the Future. I suspect they won't be around much longer if they continue to behave like this.

Original review: March 26, 2022

One thing not told about Roku. If you don't have 100 percent excellent Wifi, your Roku experience will suck! Constant buffering and sometimes no tv at all! I will never recommend Roku! I wish we had never wasted our money for the Roku garbage. And the support is non existent!

Original review: March 23, 2022

Against FCC rules Roku allows advertisements to raise volume levels. Please stop this so annoying for children and others. They sneak in 4-5 second blasts to get your attention also. Next, make a complaint with FCC.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I just paid for premium and my shows are now allowing me to watch them, they also want me to pay MORE money for help? It was useless as ** and this is the worst purchase I have ever made. This is so annoying??!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

If you're considering purchasing a Roku TV from any manufacturer, DON'T! After purchasing and using 3 of them in my household, I can say that out of the dozens of TV and content provider access products purchased over my more than 60 years, Roku TV is perhaps the worst. Period. End of story.

Let's see what matters:

1) Being able to access my channels and subscriptions. Rating: F- (There doesn't even need to be an explanation, given all the press that's covered this in far greater detail than I ought to try.).

2) Maintain subscription credentials to avoid repeated frustrating account log-ins. Rating: F- (I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've had to constantly log back into accounts accessed hours prior, literally hundreds, if not thousands of times!).

That's it, plain and simple. Roku TVs fail at the very basic elements necessary to perform their intended function properly. So much that I've found it necessary to either replace all Roku TVs or purchase the more reliable Fire TV stick and plug it into the HDMI port on the TV. I chose the latter, and it has made my life better, actually getting what I paid for from someone I purchased a product and/or service from. Once again, if you are considering purchasing a Roku TV, do not accept it until and unless they are paying you to take it, in other words not a purchase at all. Don't do it. You'll be so very sad and sorry, as I was for feeling Roku TVs actually functioned properly.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I have 3 Roku tvs, only one TLC, and it's the only one need recovery, but can't get recovery because web site doesn't recognize sn. No. So I can't grade or recover tv. Which I should not have do, my other tv upgrade without having to buy a flash drive to look up web site and find to tv download info on a flash drive just to look at my tv I paid for, I want to give it a 0 rating but it worked good until then.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I have purchased three Roku products. All connected and worked well for around three months. After three months or so, every Roku product I've purchased dies and does not reconnect to Wifi. There is no issue with my wifi or Tv. They also do not offer direct customer service for their products and issues. Will not buy again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

The Roku channel is awful! It forces you to watch 3 ads for every 3-5 minutes of tv watching and streaming. I understand that ads are what pays for the content, but a couple ads per show, is sufficient in my opinion. I will not be watching the channel, going forward. It's not worth anyone's time unless you're a fan of constant ads.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

My Roku won't connect to the internet sometimes. Customer service wanted to charge me for help to correct the problem, they must be insane!!! Fix the problem. Help me connect to the internet!!! I wish I could take it back and go with another company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Forced advertisement on every free movie, it's just all about making money for them and giving us who despise advertisement a miserable night trying to watch tv, I took it back to Best Buy and got my money back.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Roku has huge content but access can be complicated and difficult. I recently installed USA Network to watch a sports event. Some programming is readily available but this event requires activation with internet provider. I checked and it is allowed with my provider but you need to enter the onscreen activation code. When I get to the screen to enter code I am denied access. Very frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

It's impossible to contact anyone at R. for tech support! I have a problem with some audio being very, very low, and some being normal. Especially true on the Modern Marvels channel. The voice is barely audible, but the music blares! 12/18/21

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I purchased 2 devices directly from the Roku site. Within 2 weeks of the purchase I started having problems with the devices and I got no help from their customer service. So I requested a Return and Refund. Problem is they require the customer to pay for shipping on a return, that cost $15 per device. So customers will be on the hook for $15 x the number of devices to be returned. I have attached a photo of the proof of purchase of the devices from the Roku site and a photo of the receipt for the shipping costs of one of the devices.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I chatted (only method of assistance) for over two hours, transferred three times then told my issue would have to be reviewed and I would be contacted. It has been three days and I still have not been contacted. I got on chat again and was 28th in the queue. When I finally got to my turn the agent disconnected. I am now in queue 19.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

NEVER had issues using credit card on-line until Roku default set up source on setup. (From Gmail account) Got charges $70+ 11-17, $80+ 11-18. Removed payment source. No device is worth fraudulent credit card, Google or Paypal expenses and aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I spent a very long time on the phone with Roku, trying to get help with my Roku device. My other devices are working fine with Internet but Roku will not work and I've gone through all the steps that the Roku device itself brings me through.. and I went through all the steps that their customer service agent brought me through. Then they escalated it and sent me an email with a special link to follow and when I was able to attended to it, they had sent the message that since they hadn't heard from me, they figure it must have just resolved itself somehow. I clicked on the link because it had not resolved on its own and I had already been on the phone with them for hours with no luck; when I clicked on the link, it had expired. Apparently there's some secret way they can help you to get it started but you have to have the link.

I've written them back several times and they have not responded or sent me the Link again. I think now I have to start all over and call Roku again and I really hope they can just walk me through the steps that the link they sent was going to have me do. I'm just wondering why they can't help on the phone and why they need to do it via a link. When I ask the person why they were sending a link and if that was going to be able to help when the customer service agent wasn't able to, they said there is information in the link that will help. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to open it until I could and when I did, it was a link to nothing. I wish they would reply to my emails and send me the link again so that I don't have to go through the whole entire thing all over again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I've always been a Firestick person. Decided to go a different route, buying the Roku premiere. I couldn't be more happy with this product. The easy to use plug and play apps and more. I've made the switch. I will be purchasing more of these, replacing Firestick throughout my home.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Why on earth would anyone be stupid enough to put credit card or PayPal information in a system where you cannot speak to a person? Sounds like a backdoor to a ripoff! Stay away from FREE stuff that requires credit card information!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Always have had Roku devices! But all of sudden two of my devices stopped working! It’s after a software update. They keep logging off! They can’t find network connection! Have to go to account and reconnect system! Working for a while then will not connect to Wi-Fi network! Buy Amazon Stick. Much better products! Absolutely no help from Roku!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The actual Roku TV is good. Easy to access streaming services. The built-in free roku TV channel however has excessive commercials and supports ultra right wing racist and big lie spreading "news" shows.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

When I bought 2 of these devices last summer, I liked them, but not any more. There is a dispute between ROKU and YouTube. As a result of this, ROKU has removed the YouTube TV app. Now YouTube has a work around and I can still get to YouTube TV via regular YouTube, but it takes more steps to do so. Basically, ROKU is punishing their customers for their inability to work out a deal with YouTube. I find this despicable and I'm considering moving to a Chromecast streaming device.

Roku Company Information