1.35/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

303 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am having problems accessing one of my subscriber accounts. Up until a week ago I had no problems getting access. Now I can't even log in - it goes to the log in screen and then shuts down. I have been trying to find access to customer service to get help. There is no access for Roku 3, only newer units. I checked all the online articles and the problem is not covered. So far, I have not been able to find a solution or anyone to talk to about this... not even an email. This is so frustrating. The website is no help at all.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I’ve had my Roku TV for almost a year and a half. Starting about 2 weeks ago, my TV began repeatedly losing connection with the Internet. There is nothing wrong with my internet connection as my iPad stayed connected. The TV sits right next to the router, so that’s not the issue. I’ve had to reset the internet connection 5-6 x a day, In addition the TV can’t find Any available internet connections, so I’ve needed to reset the connection to the network “factory reset” so that the TV can find the list of available networks, then re-enter my password, etc. Calling customer service has resulted in being on hold for 20 minutes and being told to try all the trouble-shooting steps that I have already taken. Ended up being referred to the manufacturer of the TV - TCL... The customer service rep was very kind and seemed to be doing his best to assist me even though he ultimately referred me to TCL.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

After a update in October the sound drops out after a couple of hours of watching TV. Reboot Roku and sound is back. Contacted customer support and that's just a waste of time. This is the second time I have had problems with an update and I have to change HDMI ports and reset it back to factory and jump through hoops to prove it's the Roku and not the TV. I will go back to the Fire Stick that I never have problems with.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They stole my money. I cancelled service through DAZN and because the account was opened on my Roku, they kept billing me and supposedly sending it to DAZN for a cancelled account. Totally shady. They refuse to refund 1 single dime for any service ever because they call everything prepaid. I would suspect the money gets rejected from DAZN because there is no open account and Roku keeps it. Totally legal scam I guess. WATCH OUT!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have a new Roku, it worked for two days and now the TV comes in and out. The devise says I have no internet connection but yet I have my desktop and laptop. I called Roku customer service. Useless. I have to send back the current lousy Roku and they will send me another Roku. If this does not resolve I will have to contact my internet provider. In other words NOT MY PROBLEM! I so very much wanted to get away from cable TV but they are just as bad. STAY AWAY FROM ROKU!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I ordered a pair of the new Roku speakers. The incorrect shipping address was placed on order. By the time I received the email and realized the error, customer service stated they could not do anything about it. Once I received the shipper’s information I called and they stated shipper needs to make address change request. I called Roku over a 5 day period before I gave up. Everyone I talked stated they could not do anything even after I explained what FedEx said. They stated Roku cannot change the address once the order is shipped. I offered to conference call with FedEx and Roku rep dodged the request. I had FedEx return the package to Roku for a refund. I will no longer buy or use Roku products after this. I love the products but customer service is not even a thing for them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought Roku after Cox started doing the invisible 10 dollars on my bill two years ago. (Add all the prices, $10.00 extra shows up with no item charged for that amount) I refused to pay for cable after that. I bought Roku, loved it. But Hulu was second rate and there were only two shows I watched on it. I removed it out of boredom, closed down my Hulu account. I am still being charged and they had the gall to raise the price I am paying with no active account page, no Hulu on my Roku page showing on either device. Roku says they cannot stop it. I am going to change my card number with the bank. That will stop it. Roku is leaving next.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

ROKU should NEVER be purchased. Got a TV and the remote control was dead from the very 1st use. I called Customer Support and they refused to help in any way. I tried apps, 3rd generation controllers, called 5 times... and the same Indian female told me that I would not be serviced. We have just thrown the TV away... Would not even give it to goodwill, because it's a lemon. Don't buy an app, a TV, a device... unless you love zero customer support and a company that sucks telling you that their lemon is your fault.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

First off Roku is telling everyone they have activation issues. They don't have a technical support line readily available. Once you get the technical support number they tell you that you can't talk to a tech and must use online support. Then why give the tech support phone number? This is the worst customer support ever. Their server is unreliable, they have activation issues and they send you on wild goose chase and won't make a live person available. I couldn't believe all the bad reviews I found on Roku.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Roku is now charging a 79.09 fee for account set to access apps installed on TV such as Hulu, Netflix, etc. Do not buy this product. They are practicing very shady business... I'm a preexisting account holder to their policy change and they closed my account because I refused to pay them for something I already pay the app companies for.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout