1.53/5

284 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I like the Roku okay. I have a Roku 3. I actually have had it for a couple of years, but just started using it regularly about 6 months ago. The biggest problem has been the remote! I have to change the batteries about every 2 weeks! When I contacted customer service, they told me I had a faulty remote, but refused to send me a new one. They made it my fault--I did not learn about my faulty remote until after the warranty expired. I think it would have shown goodwill to replace it anyway. Roku has lost me as a customer for the typical reason--customer NO service. Sad. I will be switching to a different brand in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We own 3 Roku sticks and have used them on our TVs. We decided to buy a 55 inch Roku Smart TV because of the price. When we set it up it gave us an error and an 800 number to call. I called and we were told that our account with them had expired and we would have to pay a one time fee of 300.00 to get everything set up. When I asked why because there was no fee mentioned on the box we were then told that it would only cost 200.00 with the senior citizen discount. We asked for a manager to speak to and was told that the wait would be 1&1/2 hours. I said that was fine I would wait. It was only 30 minutes and my wife answered the phone. She was then told that the one time fee would only be 100.00. It's a scam, I hung up and we took the TV back and got a refund. I will be contacting the BBB on Monday. They deactivated all 3 of our Rokus. Just beware before you buy from them. We won't again.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought two Roku devices, both were defective. I returned both, have USPS tracking, serial numbers of both and transaction ID's, they ignore my request for a refund. I should have figured this out when I couldn't reach customer service. PayPal has Roku's phone number listed, I called it and it was a sex-line. PayPal will not help me resolve, BUY FIRESTICK.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Roku referred me to Technical Support, could not get the home screen to appear, stated my files are corrupted. Wanted to charge me and the guy just kept going on and on. I finally just hung up on him. Finally after speaking with Hulu they stated that the Roku 2100X is not supported anymore.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Furious at myself for not reading reviews first. What a scam. Bought the Ultra to get rid of Spectrum cable but what a mistake. Constant connection issue that is absolutely an issue with the device as no other device is having the same problem. Now paying for Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and only able to view on my iPad...the iPad that’s connected to the same WiFi. Good luck getting any customer service. Bought from Amazon that won’t let me post a review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

When I first set up my 3 Rokus they listed Spectrum wifi 98- 2g and 5g. Now it only lists 2g. The reception is not reliable on 2g, fussy picture or no connection. Cannot get service because they tell me they do provide customer service for ROKU Express. I cannot get to speak to any one to help.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Bought a Roku and tried setting it up and got an error code. This is to get you to call them so they can slap a $99 charge on you. Never heard of such a thing. I bought a Roku last year and never went through this. Needless to say, they can shove it where the sun don’t shine. I will be reporting to the Better Business Bureau. Oh and when I called back, the rep gave me a different amount. Sounds like a scam to me. My son told me to buy a Blu-Ray player with WIFI and, make sure it has Netflix, VUDU and others on it. Works the same and no fees. The whole world will know about Roku trying to scam people.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We bought two Rokus. I set up the first one no problem, when I set up the second Roku and was going through the activation process it said, "Error. Call the number." I called they answered right away, I gave the activation code and told the man I was trying to set up a second Roku with a new account. He immediately started asking me for $99 to activate the second Roku. On the screen that tells you to go to Roku.com/link. It says right on the bottom no activation fees. When I told him that he told me if I wanted another Roku account I would have to pay a one time $99 activation fee. This is not true. DO NOT PAY FOR ACTIVATION.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Have a Roku Premiere plus device, which was purchased for 110$ plus. From Day one have issue with it. A 30$ Amazon Firestick works much better than the Roku expensive playback device. Issue 1 - Remote battery runs our of charge every 2-3 days. Issue 2- As replacing battery, every 2-3 days is not feasible, started using Roku App on my phone. But every time I try to use the App, it does not connect with the device. I have to restart the device, then Mobile app starts working.

Issue 3- My TV and Cable both supports HDCP 2.2. Firestick works perfectly without any streaming error. But same video, if I play on Roku, get a purple screen with error: HDCP unauthorized. Issue 4 - I can't find any customer support phone number or email for them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

DO NOT BUY ROKU! It has constant connection and playback problems. No way to speak to Roku rep. PERFECT WAY TO AVOID ACCOUNTABILITY. This bogus sham company needs to be stopped and slapped with a suit. And shame on Walmart for peddling this trash, but would you expect any less from that ** company, they also need to be held accountable. Cheap inferior Chinese made crap that breaks/stops working/falls apart shortly after purchase! Time to stop and hold these corporate ** accountable! I am an average joe and I am damn sure held accountable by the law. Why do corporations have more rights than actual humans? Ever bothered to acknowledge that fact? Time to take them down! Stop working yourself to death just to spend your pay on inferior junk that is worth nowhere near what you pay for it. #takedowncorporatecriminals.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout