Roku

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

IF I COULD GIVE 0 STARS I WOULD. My goodness, this is absolutely the WORST TV possible. I purchased this TV on Black Friday at Walmart, I guess my first mistake. However, I was told by a friend that it was a good TV, and there was not that big of a discount from regular pricing so I figured the TV would be decent (Black Friday deal $130, normal price $169). On the contrary, problems started right after opening the box.

First, the program was not recognizing my expensive, top speed, and GB internet. When I was finally able to connect after hours of trouble there was no problem, I was pretty excited to have such a "great, smart TV." However, the next day, the TV was literally randomly shutting off and restarting approximately every 30 minutes. I was confused, and googled all possible scenarios. I literally changed all settings to attempt to stop the turn-offs, such as stopping automatic update systems, stopping screen saver settings, and more. I also had the wireless box right next to the TV and upon their "googling TCL advice" I would move my wireless box an inches or more to try and reconcile such an issue to no avail. One will literally be in the middle of a program and this TV will shut off for no reason! I have literally googled every possible issue that could be experienced with this TV and tried to fix it on my accord.

I have emailed the company too complaining of my issues and have not received ONE email back (despite their adamant, helpful Customer Service). I emailed weeks ago and haven't heard a peep. Finally, when at the end of my wits after not wanting to go through the hassle of returning, explaining, possibly blamed, I could not take it anymore and decided there was no choice. I literally did everything right. Bought the product, researched how to fix it, did everything possible to do so, such as moved box, contacted internet service provider, rebooted all tech processes within that time, connected repeatedly sources that could be correct, contacted company without any assistance or feedback (despite multiple attempts), and yet nothing changed. TV TURNS OUT ALL THE TIME!

This is the worst TV ever, and when I finally decided to return it, I grabbed it roughly from the top because the cord was stuck and the entire screen cracked. So now I am out $130 plus dollars. WHAT A WASTE! My only hope is that someone will read this and realize it is not worth the effort!! Saving a few bucks and seeming to think this is a great buy is SOOOO not worth it. I was mislead. I am telling you all from the bottom of my heart, do not buy this CHINA-MADE CRAP. This is probably one of the worst purchases of my life, not due to money but because of the headache it has caused without any resolution. SUCH A SCAM!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

I purchased a TCL Roku TV from Target on 06/29/2016. TV picture blew out on 01/02/2017. TV gets sound, screen stays black. Customer service line is a joke. First they attempted to "troubleshoot" and then transferred to a number that rang for five minutes with no answer. Don't waste your money on this brand or on Roku services. In the process of attempting to obtain a refund or replacement, they are not helpful.

Nice TV for the price... or so you think! This is a SCAM sold as a TV. I can't honestly believe that Best Buy is aware that a TV they sell requires customers to provide their credit card (in case they decide to purchase something online) BEFORE the TV can be used. And there is a FEE for activating the TV. Best Buy has this TV made specifically for them. Consumer beware!!!

If Best Buy is aware of this FEE and activation issue, they certainly don't tell you about it. And there are no notices on the box... warning you upfront that activation and fee is required. SO, I don't know how many of you feel about providing your credit card to be held in a database, JUST IN CASE you buy something (anyone thinking of all the hacks going on right now, feel secure...?) BUT ain't NO WAY I am providing my CC info. Short story: I took it back and got a refund.

The saving grace here is that BEST BUY provided me an immediate refund. The customer service rep (name of TIM) was great! Absolutely recognized what a fiasco (can't say CF) this TV was and provide me a No Hassle refund. If Best Buy is smart they will give TIM a raise and stop selling these SCAM TV's. TIM gets 5 STARS. Best Buy gets 3 stars. The ROKU TV gets - 1 Star.

We purchased a 55 in Roku Dec. 23, 2015. In the 2ND week of October 2016; the T.V suddenly went black only producing sound. Upon calling Hitachi and going through the troubleshooting with no results they advised us that our claim would be reviewed and we would be contacted by a contractor to schedule to come out and diagnose our t.v. and fix our t.v. or they would issue a refund check. The man on the phone suggested that most people go out and buy a new TV and get reimbursed.

About 2 weeks went by when we finally received not a call but an email back telling us to take pictures of the t.v when it's turned on, with the blue and red lights showing. We were instructed to email these pictures. We were then informed by email to remove the serial number and send it in via FedEx with the receipt and a refund check would be sent out by the end of the next week. Hitachi received the FedEx package on Nov. 4, 2016. In the middle of November we called to check the status of our refund check as we did not feel comfortable spending bill money on a T.V.; instead we were waiting for the check. This customer service agent told us it will be another 3-6 weeks before we can expect our refund check.

Today is December 12, 2016 and we are still without a t.v. and a refund check. However when I called them today the customer service lady told me it was mailed out on Dec. 9, 2016 and I should expect the check somewhere between now and December 31, 2016. We will never NEVER buy Hitachi products ever again. We are totally disgusted at how long it took to replace their faulty product. Not too mention I'm only getting reimbursed for the before tax amount so that when I purchase another t.v. we will have to fork over another $40-50.00 in taxes. They have horrible response times in reference to their warranty.

Where do I begin? This TV manufacturer TCL apparently has a relationship with ROKU TV to gauge market share of streaming applications craze. Well it appears ROKU TV as a external device is an inadequate comparison to Google's Chromecast or Apple TV. Soooo they've (ROKU TV) came up with a brilliant idea: let's team up with a TV manufacturer (TCL) to sell our service platform ROKU TV (bundled programs/software apps) another way. Because we absolutely suck at our external devices, I.e. ROKU stick 1,2,3,4 + TV cable box. Anyway here's how they tried to hustle scam me.

I purchased 3 40" TVs at $259 each within 30 days of each other from COSTCO. The first tv up and running. No problem. Have access to smart apps using previously set up accts. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Here's where it got tricky. The next 2 TVs are same model/brand/size/packaging ad/markers on the box. Nowhere does it say ROKU TV activation/account required. However, the "let's get started" Activation required $80/tv registration of personal data w/ CC number & yes to the End User Lic. Agreement. Which states... This is Roku's platform of streaming applications subject to change or upgrade at ROKU TV's discretion. WTF!

Contacted ROKU's cust. svc. "Yes ma'am we require an activation fee of $80 to grant access to the streaming channels, you'll have access to over 30,000 channels, except Lifetime." I completely lost it! Are you implying because I'm female this should appeal to me? Why on God's green earth would I ever need 30k channels? In rid of bundled programming that's out of my control (DirecTV). I'm not giving my CC number, only to b notified of a hack/breach. NO THANKS!

I asked him. His reply "Well, you cannot access the smart applications w/out paying the activation fee." This is ** (angry go to word) because I'm mortified! ROKU TV is a scam, if you're thinking of purchasing any brand w/ ROKU TV featured or external device... Forget about it! Oh, they hung up on me. Tried to call back, assumed my # was on a angry people list. No Answer! Contacted TCL, cust. Svc. Suggest bypassing activation, emails the instructions. NO! Didn't work. Seemed clueless that the charge of activation even exist! SMH. Contacted Costco - equally unaware of a Activation Fee. Fortunately, they've agreed to refund $$ on all 3. I'm not certain what to expect from ROKU, I suspect another gimmick to get $$ will come as a software upgrade. So all 3 are going back!

So, moral of this retail nightmare! If the brand packaging DOES NOT say ROKU TV subscription/Activation required (on the box)! You have the right to return for a refund, even if outside of typical 30-90 day warranty. Because, by my account ROKU TV arbitrarily decided to steal from consumers w/out warning. Surely, no one would buy, if activation fee was clearly marked on product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

I have a Roku 3. It's been 15 months since I acquired the device. Although the device is still functioning, the remote has stopped working. I tried the battery change etc. but it is a dead remote. I tried to buy a replacement, as the warranty was for one year only. Roku wanted 29.99 for a replacement, but they were "Out of Stock." This remote should not have stopped working after such a short time. I am very disappointed in this product. After much internet searching, I was able to purchase a new remote, although with less functions on Ebay for 6.76. I then discovered that I could download the original remote, with all the function keys on my iPhone for free. It works like a charm so far. I wrote this review because I am not happy with the short lifetime of the Roku remote, and to advise others with this problem of some solutions I have discovered.

Roku is running a scam. They sell a streaming device to you without telling you that it will not work unless you pay them $ 99 to activate it! Really? Who needs to do that when you can go purchase another brand and not pay to get the product to work? Shameful.

Very bad product. Hasn't been a year and it's shot. With a ridiculous dispute they now want me to pay shipping both ways to get a new one. They're also asking to return an A/V cable which was not included and not needed to install the device. There is no outlet to even plug in that cable. Suggestion!! Don't buy it.

My Roku 4 is only 6 months old (bought at Sam's Club). When streaming movies, the Roku 4 becomes over-heated (hot to the touch). Then, the sound drops off, picture starts freezing, then finally quits playing at all. I disconnect it, put the box in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool it down, then it starts working again. Maybe elevating it to allow air to circulate under the unit will help. But, Roku really failed in designing this device. If you're looking to purchase, get another brand.

So I call and say, had netflix before Roku. Roku comes with netflix so I transfer account to Roku. Now netflix doesn't want to work for the Roku!!! Tech. Says that a NETFLIX problem. No, No. My stuff worked just fine without your small device. You are passing the buck!!! Hey americans. I could write a book on how the consumer is, In my opinion **. Let's Talk, Walmart customer help. Bought 2 RCA'S laptops. Broke down 3 weeks to a month. Both of them??? Rca made me pay to send their broke crap back, And you cannot have cash back! I have to wait cust. A lot more. Home depot 1800.00 ** $$? Once you have let your money out of your hand nothing. It is a nightmare to get it back!! If YOU get it back... EVEN WITH ALL CARD, CASH AND BANK PROOFS. THEY HAVE MY MONEYS AND I. A NIGHTMARE!!!

Tried to put Roku replacement box on our tv. When installing we were told could not be done by ourselves and had to talk to a tech. Waited 35 minutes for tech. Then I was told Roku could not be put on my tv through my computer because it has had hackers trying to use my network connection. They would install a network security program and clean my computer for $149.99 then they could activate my Roku. I refused and the tech left me with his name and number if I wanted to use his services. Is this a scam?

The people at ROKU are fast to sell you a model and then keep on trying to upsell you instead of having a good product to begin with. My Roku 1 was barely used and after setting it up only 2 times the unit would not power up. No solution, no recommendation just a "sorry it is out of warranty." NEVER will I BUY or try a ROKU PRODUCT AGAIN. Buying a CHROMECAST.

Prior to purchasing the streaming stick, I connected with a CSR chat line to inquire if the A/C plug would work with 220 V current because I would be buying it for a friend in a foreign country (Model 3600R, Streaming Stick). He assured me that "it will absolutely work on 120 V or 220 V." Based on this confirmation, I ordered the product which arrived today from Amazon. The outlet plug clearly states 120 V. Now I have to return the product and inform my friend that he must do without! I am soooo pissed off! Why can't Roku set up quality customer service to back up their products? It wouldn't have taken an Einstein to answer such a basic product inquiry. I am DONE with Roku forever and I will share my experience with my friends and family.

I used the chat tech support to report that my Roku 4 got so hot that it ruined the furniture it was sitting on and won't stream. It took over an hour. The support is clearly outsourced and the tech offered minimal assistance. They did get me a return authorization but it looks like I have to pay the shipping to ship my toasted device back. They will do nothing for my furniture. Additionally, I have 3 other Roku devices that I wanted to know if there were any known issues with them but the support agent wasn't able to understand what I was asking for. I've lost confidence in the product and company.

I got ones old first roku device use for Netflix. Account has been working ok for years, but after update, reset unit and is asking for new activation. Issue code 001. Tried everything before called cust. Serv. State can't help me because the unit is too old and they do not have any info to provide. Buy a new ones. What!!! Very disappointed. I don't normally add reviews but this maybe help someone's looking to buy a new roku device.

Cable provider - I really don't see anything special about this if you're unable to utilize the premium channels. If your cable provider is not listed you Have To Pay The Subscribe fee. It's not worth the money..

Your instructions are pathetic. I am technically advanced. You give 3 pictures of diagrams which may work. Really? Try this or this? The most important thing you left out. Both my smart phone and tablet say what's the device's ip address? Well where is it? You designed the software. I paid 50 bucks to use your product and enjoy my experience. You know what I meant to do? Take out my 12 gauge and show your device who's boss. Absolutely pathetic product.

The USB cable that plugs into the Roku stick had become damaged, so I decided to contact Roku for a replacement. I assumed, since it was such a minor thing, there would be no problem in getting a free one. So, after over an hour of searching their support pages for the right information, I defaulted and just called their support line. The support line was just as worthless, with no option for warranty replacement or hardware issues. I eventually just went for "account issues." After waiting for several more minutes, I was finally connected to some chick in India who barely understood English. I tried to explain the issue in simplest terms... "Hey, I need a replacement USB cable for my streaming stick." "Oh, you need a new HDMI cable?" "No, I need a USB cable." "Oh."

It took her a couple of minutes to google what a USB cable was. "So you are saying you need a new power adapter yes?" "No, I'm saying I need a USB cable. You know, the only one with the stick?" Eventually, she figured out what I was talking about. And despite being within the warranty period, she tried to sell me a retarded extended warranty, and then told me if I didn't buy it, and called them again, they'd charge me. I told them, "Hey, that's ridiculous, I just need a 40 cent USB cable!" She then continued to repeat the sales pitch about the warranty repeatedly, until I lost all patience and hung up. I couldn't believe my ears. Finally I gave in and just bought an aftermarket USB cable on eBay for $4. I really do like their hardware, because it is genuinely quite good. But if anything, anything at all goes wrong, Roku will try its absolute best to bleed you dry.

I have Roku 1 and if I'm watching tv it will load the page after watching a show for a short time. Sometimes the page freezes and I have to go back and put it on another channel, then go back to what I was watching. Some commercials are so quiet you cant hear them, then you turn the tv up and eventually the volume will blast. But most of the time it just stops working and I have to turn the tv off and start over. I dont have trouble watching netflix, just tv. I dont bother calling and complaining, and by the looks of the complaints, I dont need to bother. I set it up myself and didnt have to call anyone, so I didnt get ripped off by a set up fee. I would not recommend buying Roku.

Just bought a ROKU TV from Walmart. In order watch it, you have to get it activated. In order to get it activated, you have to pay a "one time activation fee" of $100.00! This is supposed to provide you with a "life time of premium channels: NETFLIX, Amazon, HBO, etc." According to the ROKU representative, it is a deal of a lifetime. Yeah, I'll just bet! What a scam! Needless to say this is going back to the store ASAP!

Ordered a replacement remote for my Roku from the Roku site on August 27, 2016. Roku did not confirm the order or send any information but immediately billed my bank account and sat on the money. After over a month, I contacted their customer support department which is offshore in a city in India (although they used American names and denied this). First service person denied that my email address was in their system. She was a useless waste of skin. Her supervisor (Dan, probably Rahul) immediately found my order and told me the item had been shipped but returned as an undeliverable address. The address was correct and I receive packages there all of the time.

When I asked why they didn't contact me when the item was returned as undeliverable and why they steadfastly retained my money with nothing but aggravation in exchange audibly shrugged and apologized but offered no legitimate reason. The below the order no. faux "Dan" gave me but given the lack of veracity from this offshore office who knows whether it is correct. IF YOU ARE READING THIS, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO WITH APPLE TV.

I bought a new Roku 4 a few months ago which comes with a wireless remote. The Roku wireless remote is defective hardware and should be recalled. It works sometimes but hangs up constantly and has to be "re-paired". Do yourself a favor and read online the problems people have with this remote. It is a continuous source of aggravation. There are lots of instructions online from Roku about how to fix things if your remote stops working. These instructions are garbage and do not fix the fundamental problem. In the end Roku will lead you down the path of reconfiguring your wireless router and home network and calling your ISP to try to get your defective Roku remote to work, even though none of your other wireless devices have a problem. DO NOT BUY hardware from Roku that relies on this defective remote.

I bought a Roku tv a couple of days ago after having a Roku streaming stick that I was happy with. I don't really have a problem with the tv itself, but with the technical support crew in India who are scam artists. When it was time to activate my tv, I called the number on the screen and was told that it would cost me $50. I was skeptical but gave the guy my credit card info. Then I called Roku back a couple of hours later to link my Netflix accounts and related to the agent that I was charged for activating the tv. She said activation was free and I needed to call my bank and have my credit card account closed. Then she sent me back to India for the link up, where I was told I needed to pay more money to ask a question. Now I cannot hook the cable up to the tv, and the cable company wants $150 to come out and do it for me. I may just have to return the tv and start again with another brand. Please beware.

I have been trying to initiate a return for a faulty Roku 4 that freezes for almost a month. Little did I know, the 30 day return window starts the day you buy the Roku player, not when you receive it, so I missed the 30 day free return window as I didn't use the player until near the end of what I thought was the 30 days. I contacted customer service using the chat function and was told I would be sent a prepaid return label, since the unit was faulty, but I would have to pay 15% as a return fee. I said fine. I have contacted Roku customer service many, many times in the weeks since using the phone, chat, and email. Only one person on chat even tried to help me, and I had to stay on that chat for almost two hours. However, I have yet to even receive the address to make the return myself, nevermind a prepaid label. This is totally unacceptable.

The call center is in India or something and Roku obviously cares nothing for customers' experience. I will never order a Roku again, which is unfortunate as it seems to be the only current player that works with my cable company Charter. I have also escalated this outside of Roku, which I recommend others do as well if they receive this poor of customer service.

I have been working with Roku service for several weeks to resolve wifi connection issues with my unit. They finally gave up and suggested I contact my ISP Provider to change the DNS settings on my router. My provider Bend Broadband will not do this so I have wasted a lot of time and money as it is worthless. I have several other devices connected via wifi that all work very well. My laptop shows a wifi connection speed of 50 Mbps when located next to the Roku unit. Do not buy this unit!!!

Bought a Sharp 43" Roku TV, got it home. Tried to set it up, received activation code, went to start it, the code would not accept it. I called customer service. Wanted me to pay activation fee $69.00 - says software was outdated. They would not help activate tv without $69.00 fee so I returned TV.

My Roku broke after 4 months of use, they would not replace it as it is only covered for 90 days. That is bad business.

We recently purchased a TCL Roku TV and was not satisfied with the product at all. We had owned the TV for less than two weeks and already noticed major problems. One of the problems was that the TV would constantly turn off during anything we were doing. Whether it was playing the Wii, watching cable, or watching Netflix, the TV would stop, turn black and then go to the power on screen. Sometimes the resetting was short but often we would wait for 15-30 mins of resetting. This is something that no TV owner should have to deal with so I recommend that you do your research before purchasing any TV. We are currently on our way to return it and have no interest in purchasing from this brand again.

I've owned several Rokus for many years and loved them. Unfortunately, when it was time to buy new, I ordered directly from the company and have spent HOURS trying to get the promised 20% discount applied to my order. They've sent me 2 units that don't work. They have no problem finding the internet from my network but can't find the Roku servers for software. Retrieval codes don't work, and reps haven't sent ANY chat transcripts as promised. As it is, I've tried phone AND chat support and can't get anywhere. Why should it take HOURS to buy and install this product and STILL get nowhere? Apparently, Roku has hired the same tech support that has plagued DELL customers for years. If I knew someone at Roku, I'd try to help-them-help-me.

This product is horrible! I really can't think of any redeeming qualities whatsoever. First of all there's no valid reason they should ask for registration payment information unless someone purchases something from Roku. The stock barely fit into the slot on the back of my TV set. They do offer a cable to get around that but are too cheap to spend a few cents to include it in the package and make the customer request one online.

Now for the worst... Freezes are common and often for minutes at a time, making the user interface completely unresponsive to any button presses on the remote. Rather than just playing like other media players, the Roku seems to have to stop and buffer everything with a long delay before playing. When it does finally play it's prone to just randomly stopping in the middle, and sometimes stopping completely. I'd rather go back to VHS than suffer through any more of this. I'm going to send it back for a refund. This product is unfit to be marketed.

Roku Company Profile