1.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 18, 2018

241 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

Don't waste your time, effort or money. Cumbersome set up only for (free) access to old and unpopular shows, movies and dated news. Plan on spending a lot of time searching for anything worth watching and spending your hard earned money for shows included in basic cable for much less. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Bought the top of the line unit and was unable to get it to work. Got message "unable to connect. Contact customer support". Called and got someone from a third world country that told me my router had been hacked and Roku could not connect until I resolved the problem. He would connect me with a support person that would fix it for a small fee. Strange all my TVs work through my router and laptop, just not my new Roku.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 14, 2018

Not sure why I purchased this thing in the first place. Maybe broaden my TV experience and get rid of a 10' HDMI cable from PC to TV. First time watching a rented movie from Google Play via Roku, it just constantly kept stopping and buffering, switched back to HDMI cable from PC, worked fine. Gotta wonder.

Original review: April 11, 2018

While trying to input Roku access code I get a cannot connect. So, called the support number and rep. tells me I do not have a secure internet connection and need to pay $100 per year for one so Roku will install. I am returning Roku to store for a refund. Seems like a scam.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought the Roku TCL TV new in 2017 and have had it for less than a year. It constantly hangs when trying to turn it on and when trying to stream on demand shows on Sling. I can connect the same TV to my laptop with an HDMI cable and can watch on demand shows without any problems. Sometimes while watching streaming shows that are not on demand the TV will suddenly freeze up and the screen goes red like it does when starting up.

You can't connect an internet cable to this TV to increase the internet speed. I turn off all other devices using my internet except a video doorbell and still can't watch on demand. It buffers and will never play, My Internet with a cable is 40 Mbps and around 12 Mbps using wireless. I have another TV with a Roku 3 that works fine so there is something wrong with the TV. I have set my Sling settings to the lowest quality resolution and still doesn't stream on demand.

Another really annoying thing about this TV is a light on the front that stays on. The light is bluish white and 3-4 inches long and won't go off unless you cut the power. I turn off the power strip every night because it's in my bedroom and keeps me awake if I don't. I really wish I hadn't purchased this TV. I like the Roku 3 and thought the TV would work the same.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: April 4, 2018

First time I bought Roku 2 XS, 5 years ago. Was never able to use it. Netflix could not be used in my country (even though I could use it on my PS4, phone, TV, etc). Recently, 5 years later, I tried to use Netflix and it finally worked. The device was slow as crap, but I could stream Netflix. This made me decide to give Roku another try by purchasing a TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) with Roku TV.

One month later I could not use Plex in my new Roku TV. After using it for a month it just stop working. After wasting a lot of time with Roku representatives, they blamed Plex. After going to Plex forums it turns out that a Roku update is missing and that causes problems with Plex. In the forum, Plex representative gave me a link to download the Roku update and fix it. Its Roku's problem that another company had to fix. I cannot recommend Roku to anyone. They have constant problems and their customer service is atrocious. Do not solve problems.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had an issue with my debit card being compromised and didn't update my information in Roku until my Hulu subscription was placed on hold. I updated my card information and it has been 8 hours since I did and no Hulu streaming. My bank account hasn't been charged but I can't get ahold of anyone at Roku to have them push a button to activate my Roku. It's Masters week, FFS, and as soon as I get this handled I am dumping Roku. They have no one to talk with on the phone and their website doesn't have any help for me in this situation, so I have had it with Roku and will talk bad about them as long as I can talk. Totally worthless company.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Got my Roku. Set it up on their website. They said I did not do it right so too bad for me. I do not get my free 50 bucks in Sling TV. I talk to Sling TV and they said Roku did this to a lot of people. Not right.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I got a Roku TV. Was not told that I would have to pay more before I can it. I am old school and believe that when you buy something it should work. They told me I had to pay 100 dollars more before I can watch anything on it. I know in my heart this is not right. Seems to me something needs to be done about this. It is consumer fraud. I couldn't even use my antenna or see anything till I paid them.

Original review: March 29, 2018

NOTHING IS FREE!!! I am old enough to know that. Still I bought the Roku device, plugged into my TV, started setting up - ouch!! PROBLEM!!! Could not continue. I have called Roku support (that is the name "support") line, very NICE LADY, "offer" me a "REGISTRATION" for a price $249; After about 15 minutes of sales pitch I finally understood? that if I do not purchase the one time "registration" my Roku will not be activated. Funny thing was - they offer senior discount (I believe she said $199?). So I am still laughing (sarcastically) on the way to store where I purchased the "thing". My loss about $3.00 gas money.

Original review: March 29, 2018

If you need Roku support and expect immediate results forget it. Have been trying to connect an account with my new tv with no results. Followed all directions from the start at least ten times, tried the help box and cannot connect even online. Contacted Roku support via email, after six days of waiting, I sent another notice and someone with an unpronounceable name replied. Followed the new instructions and still no connection. I am at a complete loss and not happy with Roku at all. Love the TCL tv I bought, but Roku leaves a lot to be desired.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I kept getting buffering and drops, I verified network, ISP, setup QoS and fails on Hulu and DirecTV Now. I bought an Apple TV and Amazon Fire Stick. No more problems! I try to contact Roku and in short if you didn’t purchase direct within last 30 days you are SOL! Your support sucks! Your quality sucks! And you hide from direct consumer contact! May you go out of business!!! I am taking an ultra and premium to the range to shoot and post on YouTube! That is the best your product is for, a piece of junk!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have two ROKU devices, one of which I've had for several years. When it works, it's good, but it's extremely unreliable. If you ever plan on having a nice time looking at a movie or TV show with ROKU, don't count on it, because it's so temperamental, that you'll just end up looking for alternative viewing methods. Even if you've paid for specific channels, it won't let you get to them if it happens to be one of their frequent times of acting up with no service availability. I would never recommend this product. My daughter has another device which I'm going to try because she never experiences any problems and we live in the same house so it's not network issues or TV's because we also have the same TV. I'm seriously disappointed as this morning was one I was looking forward to catching up on a TV series on a channel I purchased through ROKU and now I have to put it off until I can get a 'reliable' device.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Roku and DirecTV Now are not a good mix, if you choose to get DirecTV Now please choose other devices to stream it on. Amazon Fire Stick or Apple TV! The issue I have with Roku is that when you are trying to watch tv the shows are constantly loading especially during the good parts. I originally thought that the issue was with DirecTV so one day I tested watching DirecTV on my laptop and iPad and guess what. No loading problem at all.

Roku is a multi-million dollar company that is not prepared to stream with DirecTV Now. I am going to contact DirecTV and ask if I can return the Roku device and get the Apple TV because Roku and DirecTV Now are not a good mix. I am very disappointed in Roku as I have used their devices for years with no streaming issues until I got the DirecTV Now. And before anyone asks I have 2 Roku devices and they both have issues steaming DirecTV NOW. The sad thing is when I want to watch a show on DirecTV NOW I always open the app on my laptop because chances are on the Roku device it will load and load and load, it's very frustrating!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Many times I have searched for content on Roku. I have found the search most always shows channels where there is a charge to watch the content and not the free channels. I have contacted Roku and they always act like it is news to them. I use Roku for the free content not to pay $4 for a 20 year old movie. It is deceptive of Roku to say that their search uses all channels, I can tell you it does not.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Roku really does not give a darn about their customers. I have bought 2 Roku Premiere+ and yet I can't get anyone on the phone and currently I have an over 25 email stream going with them. Here's the issue - DO NOT BUY ANY ROKU DEVICE UNTIL YOU FIND OUT IF IT WORKS WITH YOUR TV!!! The device turns the TV on, works the apps... But that's it! It does not allow the TV to turn off, it does not work the volume and the earpiece does not work (if you cannot control the volume, duh, you cannot control sound!).

Honestly, Roku's advice? "You bought the wrong model." Not their fault, Roku does not care about customer relations and YOU SHOULD BEWARE! So, eventually, they told me it was my fault and I should buy - FROM THEM ONLY, not Amazon! A Voice Enhanced Remote. I did. $30... It doesn't work either. The "set-up TV remote setting" tells me "Your device does not support TV control." Their response to that? "You bought the wrong Roku device." If YouTubeTV worked on ANY OTHER device, I would take this one out, make a video of me shooting it dead and post that on YouTube! Hateful, horrible company.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Called customer service to ask about white boarders on TV. It was not the TV settings. Regular TV channels were fine. Now... I'm not sure which Asian country Roku's outsourced to but they had very bad English language skills. After repeating my e-mail address 9 times I finally gave up. Roku should make test calls to their customer service number to see what their customers are going through. This has encourage me to switch to Apple TV box. At least you can talk to someone within in the USA who understands me.

Original review: March 2, 2018

The size is too small, although the picture is clear. The TV is nice for the money. The display is crisp and clear. I also enjoy the apps, especially since I found one that streams from my iPhone to the Roku TV. Unfortunately I cannot stream from my iPhone to the Roku TV without an adapter. More iPhone features that are compatible with this Roku TV would be a huge plus.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Every few months, my standard Roku Remote stops working. Yes, I've unplugged the Roku, removed batteries, inserted same or new batteries however, it won't start unless I remove batteries every time I turn it on which is a royal pain. Sounds like an internal glitch installed by Roku to get consumers to purchase new remotes every few months. Can't wait until Roku gets some real competition. Last time I called Roku, they said they would replace my remote one time. Gee, thanks for selling inferior remotes Roku.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

As I looked over all the reviews, my heart drops because cannot understand what was happening to a product that I enjoy so much. I have 3 Roku sticks but my TVs are apps ready. I did not purchase the Roku tv. From looking at all the reviews, most seems to have a problem after they purchased the Roku tv device and not the sticks. I think I will be sticking with the Roku Express sticks instead of investing in what seems to be a problem tv. I really love my Roku service. It is much more worth having than having the bills I was getting each month with a steady incline. Thanks Roku for trying to take away some of the financial press and making streaming an awesome possibility. I have had my Roku sticks for over 6 months.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am a ROKU lover... I have 2 ROKU 4's, 1 ROKU 3 and 1 ROKU 2. Never had any issue with them until the 2 ROKU 4 units seemed to have failed. As a recap (as per the 3 request tickets #**), the issue started as follows: ROKU 4 in living room was frozen on menu screen. Tried to restart with screen... frozen. Pulled out the "plug" from the ROKU 4 and it started up with the ROKU screen looping. Tried to reset by holding the "button" at the bottom for 30 seconds or more... still looping. Went to the bedroom where the other ROKU 4 is and verified that it is working OK. Decided to SWAP the bedroom unit with the living room unit and the bedroom unit is now looping. Swapped the bedroom unit and the living room unit back and the bedroom unit is now looping. Called ROKU Customer Support and went through all the ROKU testing... same result.

ROKU customer support recommended buying a new power unit... I did... Same result. Roku customer support concluded that both units are defective and the only solution is to buy 2 more units since my warranty is over. "Is there anything that the ROKU company can do for me?" ==> I asked ROKU customer support. This is my warning to all ROKU owners: Despite the fact that I am a satisfied, happy ROKU owner and a ROKU lover with 4 ROKU devices, I would have thought that ROKU would have given me a discount on a purchase of a new ROKU unit... at least.

I would have thought ROKU would have wanted their original power unit back and the old ROKU's (ROKU 4's) back for analysis. My assumptions are: ROKU did some update that made the 2 ROK4's useless??? The power unit somehow "fried" the ROKU 4 and then when I swapped it out for my other ROKU 4 that was working. It "fried" this too. What can I say? I guess this is their business practice??? SAD.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a new Roku. I had to have assistance in setting it up through Roku tech support. The first initial setup was free, but later I had to call and ask for help from tech support. Some shady guy answered the phone and then said he'd call back on another number. The Shady guy calls back on another number that can't be traced and is listed as number not available in caller ID. Then this fraud demanded $55 as a one time fee for continuing tech support with Roku because it was my second tech support visit.

Like a fool I gave this fraud my credit card number and they charge $55. I had to call back approximately two weeks later for more tech support from Roku. This same Shady guy answered the phone then said he'd hang up and call me back on a non-traceable number again then he demanded another $55 from my credit card because he said my Roku technical support plan has expired. This guy is obviously a crook. I'm getting a hold of the Attorney General.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have no problem with any other streaming service, only Roku. Only 25% of the movies or program will play. I tried to be part of their analysis team and my personal information was stolen. Why do I feel it was Roku? I almost never give personal info. I was fortunate that I recently moved and most info has changed. I do not trust Roku. Oh, and I never received a response from the analysis group. Silly me...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I bought the Roku TV from Wish.com and I love the picture. Stream loads quickly and I added all the free channels but it's more commercials than watching just regular cable. I guess that's because it's free but when you're watching something you're really interested in for only 4 minutes and then 1 of 8 commercials pops up and they show the same one three times in a row it gets old pretty fast. Watching some of the old shows I had no commercials but I don't need bathroom breaks that often and the breaks are longer than the program. I'll find another streaming method. Refurbished TCL 32S301 32" 720p 60Hz Roku Smart LED TV.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I had no problems setting up my Roku. You need to have patience. You follow what the screen tells you and you wait. The system is not automatic like turning on the tv. It is a streaming application, folks. I had absolutely no problems. It connected to my WiFi which I suggest you choose the automatic or manual way and you enter your WiFi address, password and you're in!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased the Roku Streaming Stick+ to use downstairs on our family TV to help with the WiFi performance as stated this product is designed for. The first night I got home and set up the product I had problems. The TV resolution selection tool it does automatically is where the problems started. When it selected a setting the screen started blanking out/static screen/bright pink - purple screen. I had to go back in between flashing screens and get to the option to change settings and select a different resolution which seemed to make the screen stabilize. I submitted a ticket to Roku in which support contacted me to have me hook it up to other inputs and other TVs... no improvement.

A few weeks later the device seems to shut off or stop working altogether. I have submitted a request to their support department again stated the issue it's doing now (and still doesn't work on the higher resolution). I informed them of all the steps I took before and did them again as well with no luck for improvement. To only get responses from the support group on two separate occasions to do the same steps that I stated I have already done. I trying to just get a replacement device since the unit is less than a month old from when I purchased it. I would not recommend the Roku Streaming Stick+, it is either a bad design or a faulty product.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

On the screen of my Roku it says they will fix or repair it for free. My internet went out and the device would not restart. I called the technical support and they said I would have to pay a $100.00 dollar fee to have it turned on. They said they could get it working from there. I read the screen to her that said they would fix it for free but she said I had to pay the fee first. I can't use it now and I refuse to be scammed. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

It's slow, useless, never used any of its features. And I need to use my phone every time I want to change the volume or what not after dropping the remote from two feet, from my hand. With no force, at all. On a rug. I only have one button on my TV because of this...

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

After spending 45-min on the phone with TCL support, we were directed to our Internet Service Provider Cable One to lower their firewall to get in. Not it! Due to a failed Software Update error code 03, we contacted Roku. EPIC FAIL!!! The first tech told me because I already had a Roku device in my home I would need to purchase an additional program for 3 yrs $150 for 6 yrs $200 and for lifetime the cost would be $250. After arguing with the tech why should I pay them to view my new TV; NO. He hung up, and another tech called, this didn't ask for money, but he couldn't understand what I was trying to explain to him in regards to the software update, I told him I would be returning the TV to Costco where I purchased it and inform them this TV and whole situation is not working for me. He said another tech would contact me.

Round three... ding ding ding, this tech was short and extremely rude. He told me it was a network problem and because I wasn't a techie I didn't have ability to understand what was happening with the network and he did have to help me understand the topic. When I told him that his company had just lost a customer, he informed me that he didn't want a customer like me. Roku will NEVER have my service again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Buyer beware of the TCL television. Purchased mine in March 2017, sound went out in October 2017 and I have battled with TCL customer service since to get a repair or replacement. End result? Taking the TV to the dump, calling it a wash, and buying a TV that has no ties to TCL! The manufacture date on the TV is Dec 2017. I do not have the original sales receipt, but not sure why that matters? I have their product, the manufacture date, AND it’s obviously defective.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout