1.53/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Roku

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

220 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am a ROKU lover... I have 2 ROKU 4's, 1 ROKU 3 and 1 ROKU 2. Never had any issue with them until the 2 ROKU 4 units seemed to have failed. As a recap (as per the 3 request tickets #**), the issue started as follows: ROKU 4 in living room was frozen on menu screen. Tried to restart with screen... frozen. Pulled out the "plug" from the ROKU 4 and it started up with the ROKU screen looping. Tried to reset by holding the "button" at the bottom for 30 seconds or more... still looping. Went to the bedroom where the other ROKU 4 is and verified that it is working OK. Decided to SWAP the bedroom unit with the living room unit and the bedroom unit is now looping. Swapped the bedroom unit and the living room unit back and the bedroom unit is now looping. Called ROKU Customer Support and went through all the ROKU testing... same result.

ROKU customer support recommended buying a new power unit... I did... Same result. Roku customer support concluded that both units are defective and the only solution is to buy 2 more units since my warranty is over. "Is there anything that the ROKU company can do for me?" ==> I asked ROKU customer support. This is my warning to all ROKU owners: Despite the fact that I am a satisfied, happy ROKU owner and a ROKU lover with 4 ROKU devices, I would have thought that ROKU would have given me a discount on a purchase of a new ROKU unit... at least.

I would have thought ROKU would have wanted their original power unit back and the old ROKU's (ROKU 4's) back for analysis. My assumptions are: ROKU did some update that made the 2 ROK4's useless??? The power unit somehow "fried" the ROKU 4 and then when I swapped it out for my other ROKU 4 that was working. It "fried" this too. What can I say? I guess this is their business practice??? SAD.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a new Roku. I had to have assistance in setting it up through Roku tech support. The first initial setup was free, but later I had to call and ask for help from tech support. Some shady guy answered the phone and then said he'd call back on another number. The Shady guy calls back on another number that can't be traced and is listed as number not available in caller ID. Then this fraud demanded $55 as a one time fee for continuing tech support with Roku because it was my second tech support visit.

Like a fool I gave this fraud my credit card number and they charge $55. I had to call back approximately two weeks later for more tech support from Roku. This same Shady guy answered the phone then said he'd hang up and call me back on a non-traceable number again then he demanded another $55 from my credit card because he said my Roku technical support plan has expired. This guy is obviously a crook. I'm getting a hold of the Attorney General.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have no problem with any other streaming service, only Roku. Only 25% of the movies or program will play. I tried to be part of their analysis team and my personal information was stolen. Why do I feel it was Roku? I almost never give personal info. I was fortunate that I recently moved and most info has changed. I do not trust Roku. Oh, and I never received a response from the analysis group. Silly me...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I bought the Roku TV from Wish.com and I love the picture. Stream loads quickly and I added all the free channels but it's more commercials than watching just regular cable. I guess that's because it's free but when you're watching something you're really interested in for only 4 minutes and then 1 of 8 commercials pops up and they show the same one three times in a row it gets old pretty fast. Watching some of the old shows I had no commercials but I don't need bathroom breaks that often and the breaks are longer than the program. I'll find another streaming method. Refurbished TCL 32S301 32" 720p 60Hz Roku Smart LED TV.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I had no problems setting up my Roku. You need to have patience. You follow what the screen tells you and you wait. The system is not automatic like turning on the tv. It is a streaming application, folks. I had absolutely no problems. It connected to my WiFi which I suggest you choose the automatic or manual way and you enter your WiFi address, password and you're in!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased the Roku Streaming Stick+ to use downstairs on our family TV to help with the WiFi performance as stated this product is designed for. The first night I got home and set up the product I had problems. The TV resolution selection tool it does automatically is where the problems started. When it selected a setting the screen started blanking out/static screen/bright pink - purple screen. I had to go back in between flashing screens and get to the option to change settings and select a different resolution which seemed to make the screen stabilize. I submitted a ticket to Roku in which support contacted me to have me hook it up to other inputs and other TVs... no improvement.

A few weeks later the device seems to shut off or stop working altogether. I have submitted a request to their support department again stated the issue it's doing now (and still doesn't work on the higher resolution). I informed them of all the steps I took before and did them again as well with no luck for improvement. To only get responses from the support group on two separate occasions to do the same steps that I stated I have already done. I trying to just get a replacement device since the unit is less than a month old from when I purchased it. I would not recommend the Roku Streaming Stick+, it is either a bad design or a faulty product.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

On the screen of my Roku it says they will fix or repair it for free. My internet went out and the device would not restart. I called the technical support and they said I would have to pay a $100.00 dollar fee to have it turned on. They said they could get it working from there. I read the screen to her that said they would fix it for free but she said I had to pay the fee first. I can't use it now and I refuse to be scammed. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

It's slow, useless, never used any of its features. And I need to use my phone every time I want to change the volume or what not after dropping the remote from two feet, from my hand. With no force, at all. On a rug. I only have one button on my TV because of this...

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

After spending 45-min on the phone with TCL support, we were directed to our Internet Service Provider Cable One to lower their firewall to get in. Not it! Due to a failed Software Update error code 03, we contacted Roku. EPIC FAIL!!! The first tech told me because I already had a Roku device in my home I would need to purchase an additional program for 3 yrs $150 for 6 yrs $200 and for lifetime the cost would be $250. After arguing with the tech why should I pay them to view my new TV; NO. He hung up, and another tech called, this didn't ask for money, but he couldn't understand what I was trying to explain to him in regards to the software update, I told him I would be returning the TV to Costco where I purchased it and inform them this TV and whole situation is not working for me. He said another tech would contact me.

Round three... ding ding ding, this tech was short and extremely rude. He told me it was a network problem and because I wasn't a techie I didn't have ability to understand what was happening with the network and he did have to help me understand the topic. When I told him that his company had just lost a customer, he informed me that he didn't want a customer like me. Roku will NEVER have my service again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Buyer beware of the TCL television. Purchased mine in March 2017, sound went out in October 2017 and I have battled with TCL customer service since to get a repair or replacement. End result? Taking the TV to the dump, calling it a wash, and buying a TV that has no ties to TCL! The manufacture date on the TV is Dec 2017. I do not have the original sales receipt, but not sure why that matters? I have their product, the manufacture date, AND it’s obviously defective.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Purchased a new ROKU, the stick model, with voice command. Could not set up voice command for the TV power, and volume. Contacted their customer service. The last contact before being told they were closing my ticket because they were waiting on a response from me was: "Thank you for your response with the information. We will check with the concern team and get back to you with an update as soon as possible." Yaaaa, now I get the: "This is an e-mail to remind you that your request has been pending for 5 days and awaits your feedback. We are sorry that we could not reach you to continue assisting with your ticket. We will be closing this ticket for you." I am the one waiting, not YOU! Worst customer service ever! As a small business owner, I understand customer service, sure wish ROKU did.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I was activating my new ROKU TV (noting they specifically state they do not charge for activation or support) when I received an error because of "network" issues. I called the given ROKU customer support number and was told (after 1) a very bad phone connection and disconnect, 2) a technical specialist who hung up on me, 3) a return call when the techie told me, very rudely, that unless I sign up for the $100 fee to fix the networking problems, I will never be able to use my ROKU TV. Well, I'm a hostage by then so I sign up to find out that the company I'm paying is Tekglance. I later asked a ROKU tech assistant if that's ROKU's policy, to assign the support of networking problems to Tekglance. I received only a runaround and transferred to another techie who would answer any technical question for $5. So much for ROKU's free support claim.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Free month of service was the only reason I bought a Roku. They claim you get it once you register a new Roku. 8 hours later nothing. There is zero instructions on activation of the free trial. Go to chat sit for 20 minutes waiting. Finally get more run around. Now you also have to sign up for a newsletter. Mind you they claimed with activation not emails and not newsletters. Chat agent just closes chat. No bye. See ya sucker. Nothing. After I complained through email I'm told in 24 or 48 hours they will send a activation code. No I'm done playing the games. Roku hopes they can bait you with free service than hope you give up so they save money. This Roku is being returned! Avoid this horrible company and get a Fire TV product or chrome cast. Roku sucks. Customer service is a joke and they make false claims. I don't enjoy wasting my time! My Fire Stick is working fine no games played to it set up!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased the ROKU 4 with Ethernet cable so I wouldn't have another wireless device. Little did know because it wasn't disclosed that the device would set up its own wireless whether I had it hardwired or not. Since ROKU's wireless operates independently of my Wifi, I can only assume that it used as a method to spy on and compromise my home network or to sell my private information to third parties. I have contacted the company with my concerns and they have not responded to my complaints. If ROKU doesn't get rid of their hidden network, I don't see them being successful in the future and I expect that they will be the center of many lawsuits to come.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I purchased a Roku stick about a year ago. The first month or so the stick worked fine aside from the fact I had to disconnect power to the stick to completely shut it off. After about two months of this I noticed the TV would shut off in the middle of a show, but no worries because it would come right back on. At first I thought the TV was going bad, but was skeptical of that because it was a fairly new TV. So I disconnected the Roku stick to see if the TV would continue to power off and on, which it did and still does to this day. So I connected the stick to my daughters TV and within a few weeks it started doing the same thing.

So at this point I KNOW it wasn't a faulty TV set, it was the a bad Roku stick. So I have already had to replace one 32" TV set. But the other is a 65" Sharp that needs to be replaced or serviced because of the faulty Roku stick. I reached out to Roku and explained the issue and they were quick to say they would replace the Roku stick but avoided any talks about replacing, servicing, or reimbursement for the two damaged TV's. I will be talking to a lawyer shortly.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

When attempting to contact the customer service department I cannot get an actual agent. They just want you to take the time to read the manuals and try to figure it out yourself. All I am trying to do is reset my account password and it keeps telling me it is invalid even though the confirmation email says that it has successfully been changed. The ROKU customer service is terrible. They don't want to help you by giving you an agent. They want you to take the time to read their BS manuals.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have been using a Roku product since they came out years ago. This is my third one (Roku Premiere Plus). I decided to give myself a Xmas present. The unit locks up my Direct Satellite and TV when I try to leave the Roku. If I disconnect the power from the Roku everything goes back to normal. When I went to activate this new unit like in the past this time they wanted $99.99, and my credit card was charged 100.01 with a different name that I received on my e-mail. I thought my credit card was compromised only to find out a different name. It looks like this one dropped Amazon also.

I recommend save your money and look somewhere else. I gave it two stars as it works but not any other better than my old one. Wish I kept my old one connected. I would be 200 hundred dollars ahead and happy. I am going to hook up my old one and hope it still works without them asking for more money. This unit was purchased from AAFES in Lawton Oklahoma and I don't have the receipt or I would take it back. It was purchased on 11/22/2017.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Do not expect any close to a quick reply when contacting customer support. I have waited a month now for some kind of resolution to the problem I have with my Roku Premier Plus. They have a serious problem with getting back with customers, and taking care of their customers. I am not at all impressed or pleased with the service I have received from them. I tried to give them zero stars, but it had to have at least one. Not worth even one star.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My husband and I bought 2 32 inch tv for our children who are 8 years old. Reasonable price and was a smart tv, so it was perfect for our kids to play ps4, watch cable tv which we already pay for and watch Netflix. Little did we know, in order to even watch tv, there is a 1 time activation fee of 59.00. Why?? I just bought 2 tv, and already pay for cable. Customer service says I'm only worried about MONEY. Aint everyone?? He said if you buy a car, you have to put gas in it so it works. Well duh, it's a necessity. Buying a tv and then having to pay more to get channels we already pay for... Is NOT. Bad advertisement on their behalf. These tv's we bought for our children for Christmas are going back to Walmart. Shame on Wal-Mart for bringing this product to their stores. Negative rating from us!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I read about all the problems that people are having with their Roku and I have to wonder why. I have 4 Roku's and have never had a problem. My first was a Roku SE and it still works except with Spectrum's app. All my new Roku's work well with Spectrum app. You do have to have a good router and a good signal. There is one thing I would like to see, dual band and ac speed.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Purchased extra TV for home. 32" screen, clear picture. Using in a sm room. If room were bigger, sound on TV would need to be better. No major complaints. Would purchase another Roku TV. It is quality TV for the price.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased this from Roku on Nov 23rd. It came and did not work. I followed instructions on their website. It did not work. I spent an hour on live chat going over the same information. It did not work. I filled out the return form. No response. I sent emails. No response. I found their customer service phone number. They hung up on me, twice. I called their headquarters. A recording said that they do not handle customer support, I left an irate message anyway. Roku does not stand behind their product or care about their customers. Buying one of these is fine if it works. If not, you will be out time and money.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Contacted support 3 times. They only do chat. Waited 30 minutes each time then I was disconnected. Received three emails saying my case has been updated. Waited three days, no response. Called chat again. Waited 10 minutes. Got connected and while getting help. Disconnected again. Worthless.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

First I want to start by saying that I don't know how Roku is only rating 1 & 1/2 stars on here! I received my first Roku last Christmas and I was just blown away. I didn't know anything about Smart TVs or streaming or anything like that until I got my Roku, I had no clue what I was in store for but it has been one of the best experiences out of anything I believe I've ever purchased. It was & is so worth every dime that my mother could have paid to give me a present such an amazing as this. With Roku your possibilities are endless. There's not much that you can't do. You can add on as many apps as you like to watch anything that you want. Anything is possible and that's what I love about my Roku.

And just a day or two ago they did a update on my Roku TV and oh my gosh I'm even more Blown Away. Now when you push the info button on a show they've redone it. It looks so much better. It even tells you what season and what episode of the show that you're watching on TV if you're watching a series and the year it came out. I love that cuz I've always wondered what seasons & episode on some of my TV shows that I watch but now I know and so I was messing around with my remote and while the info was up I pushed the left button and there is an on-screen guide that you can scroll through. Just like if you were to have cable it has an on-screen guide that you can go through and choose what you want to watch. You can see what's coming on next.

It's just amazing and if I could give Roku 10 Stars I would, especially after this last update. I am so impressed with Roku with the things that they have come up with, I love Roku. I would never purchase anything other than Roku. I am a fan a huge fan of Roku. I love it. I love it. I love it. I don't think there's anything else I can say that shows how excited I am to be a Roku owner but Kudos on the updates. Roku never cease to amaze me.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

We bought the latest Roku player out in the market and it is NOT worth the money. Channels constantly have to be deleted and then reinstalled; constantly needing to be rebooted and; I always have to re-enter my internet information. It’s better to get a Smart TV that has streaming capabilities. We’re saving up to replace the TVs in our house to Smart TVs. STAY CLEAR OF ROKU!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Super disappointed about the customer service I received from ROKU. I bought a streaming stick and paid $50.00. It worked fine when I purchased, hardly used it as it was plugged in the guest room (a room that hardly is occupied). I tried to use the remote and it was not pairing. I went on the website and read all troubleshooting, tried everything nothing worked. I called customer service and the only recommendation they offered was to purchase a new remote. WORST $50 I'VE SPENT IN MY LIFE.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I purchased a Roku brand television at Wal-Mart, the price seemed reasonable for a low range 32" inch television. As this TV was intended for a guest room I didn't think it important to buy an expensive one. Upon getting it home and setting and powering it up, I got a rude awakening. First I was required to connect it to the internet, as it would not advance the menu until I did. After connecting the manufacturer demanded $69.00 U.S. dollars to "activate" MY T.V.!!!! I had just paid $138.00 + plus tax for.

Customer service would not even entertain the thought of me simply plugging in my satellite provider...NO! I had to subscribe to their service package to use my product. Ever bought a car and been told you have to spend another $1000.00 for the keys? B.S... Couldn't even hook up my kids' video game. Won't unlock until you spend. Product should state clearly on packaging "ACTIVATION FEE REQUIRED"... Misleading and unethical. Bet Walmart regrets this in 6 months. I took it back and exchanged it for a wonderful "un-smart" Sanyo that is great.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

As I am sorting through a pile of disappointing electronic products to be disposed of, I am confronted with the biggest disappointment of all, our Roku 1 streaming player. It has been sitting around, unused for a couple of years, so I can't recollect all of the details, but it was memorable enough that I decided to go through the bother of opening a Consumer Affairs account to let other people know of the dangers of being seduced by electronics that don't work. I was unable to rectify the problems at the time with customer service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I’ve read a lot of these reviews and not sure what has gone wrong with their Roku sticks, but I have two sticks that work greatly. I have had them for over a year, NEVER paid any kind of activation fee, only pay for the apps that require subscription fees. My kids have one in their room and it works perfectly. When we can’t find the remote we’ve used the remote app on my iPhone and I can control the sticks just the same as with a remote. I recommend Roku to anyone looking for a less expensive option to cable.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

When I tried to activate my Roku they asked me for 99$. They only asked for this after I allowed them into my computer and gave them all my personal information including my credit card number. I find this practice to be deceptive and dishonest. I feel somewhat vulnerable now realizing what sort of unscrupulous company this is. I know they are linked with Comcast and I encourage Comcast to sever this relationship as it will only hurt the reputation they have worked so hard for.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Roku Company Information

www.roku.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use