Roku

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If I could. With this TCL Roku television, you will have to go thru so many steps to turn your Netflix on, weekly, now it has become daily... You will begin to question every aspect of your internet connection. After 5-15 steps, the next day you will still need to attempt to follow the same steps. Solution: Ultimately, I end up watching Netflix on my iPad, iPhone, (small screens). Have followed various online suggestions, none of which are permanent fixes. Since all of my other devices connect immediately and play IMMEDIATELY with ONE press to the screen, it has to be the TCL/ ROKU device that doesn't work. Still I spent money on a repeater, a new router, batteries.

What's sad is that I purchased more than one of these "Smart TV's" Do NOT "save" money on this brand. It's enough to drive me to wonder: why are they being sabotaged by an employee? Competitor? Or they just poor designers? :-( Daily TV/Internet misery awaits you if you buy this product. I have never had this experience, so I did not keep the receipts for these products since they appeared to work at first. Now I'm stuck and will have to shop for another brand. I don't have the heart to sell these 4g screens to anyone else. SAD.

Attempted to place an order today through the Roku website. Received a message that the order could not be processed. Tried again. Got the same message. My credit charge has now been charged twice. There is absolute NO WAY to contact Roku customer support to get this resolved.

My husband and I paid for two months of Sling service and received the Roku Express. When our two months was over we canceled the service. (We are new to streaming.) The Roku they sent us stopped working the next day. By federal law it's a crime to disrupt a device that you don't own. There was nothing in the fine print that said the Roku would only work as long as we had Sling. I have contacted Roku, my internet provider, and Sling. The first two did their best to fix the problem, Sling told me that unless I wanted to open another account they could NOT help to fix the problem. I will be contacting my attorney and FCC.

I was use MachTV from last year. Every month I have to be calling for the new code. Now in the last 2 months I been pay for nothing, everything I request at code don't work. They are stealing people money. Last month they say that they having at problems with the system. I ask to give me my money back, they refused. Ok they fix the problem I pay again into. Now I haven't be able to watch movies. When I send an email, this is the only way we can get touch with them. The excuse is that they need it at code from my tv. I didn't know that, they are sarcastic, I give them zero. They getting rich because use. Somebody have to stop this people soon.

I bought Roku Premier + because It came with earphones. I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb people. Earphone is plugged into the remote, but it does not work most of the time. I have to keep taking out the batteries, it works for a minute then the link gets cut off. Then you have the actual box that turns off all by itself and cuts off whatever I'm watching. $96 down the toilet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

This is NOT a review of the Roku box, but rather my experience with the Sling App ordered through Roku. Do NOT, under any circumstance, sign up for ANY apps using Roku. Roku will become the billing agent, but trying to cancel or change services with the app never gets through to the app company. I signed up for the Sling 7-day free trial, using the Roku box. When I canceled the Sling trial, after 6 days, online at Sling, it never went through. My account remained open, and I was charged for a month of service. Sling had NO record of the cancellation. Make sure you deal directly with the app company, and preferably by phone. If over the internet, print out any changes of cancellations!

Purchased Roku Express from the website said it will support older TV, wrong. Go back to the website I think I made the wrong choice, so I make another. Wrong again, researched the web and found a support number. Call the number 816-272-8106, go through the prompts. No support for either model I purchased, go through the prompts again and use no model number. I get support, he tells me either model doesn't work with my TV. Need to buy xyz type. No Thanks. I have to return both of these now. Found on the web a lot of people complaining about compatibility. Roku's website should have a place to put the model of your TV in and recommend their products to match, not a guessing game. I purchased through Amazon and will deal with them on returning.

The installation is really easy. All you need is a standard HDMI cable... other than that, everything about this sucks. If you want to watch 95% of the programs available thru this device, you have to either enter a code on a website (on your computer, phone, or tablet... any device that has internet access), sign up for a free trial, pay a fee, or the program/channel isn't available in general... you could search for it, and would come up but then it will not play. There may be one episode of your favorite show that is available for free, but that's it, and that includes very basic cable network programs. After a few days of searching, I did find a few weird, random channels, but then I realized they were just streaming channels or programs like podcasts, that are available online. In general, not worth the aggravation.

I stumbled upon the poor reviews of Roku products and want to relate my experience with Roku's products. Over the last 7 years I have had the Roku 1, 2, 3 & Express. Still use the 2, 3 & most recently the Express. I have never had problems with their standalone products other than wireless connection issues which I remedied with very little troubleshooting. I have recommended and helped install units for several friends. Wireless connection issues have been the only problem. The solution has always been better placement of Wi-Fi routers or upgrading said routers to better more capable ones due to age or to circumvent location placement or multi-user conflicts in the Wi-Fi network. Roku products have always worked and worked well. I think that a lot of the people complaining are having connectivity issues due to their internet equipment, not the Roku itself.

Bought 4 Roku's and they worked for a couple of weeks and then started retrieving and downloading more than watching movie. Called Roku and got a 3rd party vendor in India who said I need to pay an activation fee 6 months after I bought them. I told them what they could do with their Rokus and where to put them. I finally found a Roku office with a US number and they said this is B.S. Roku told me that they don't ask for an activation fee other than the initial 11.99. They are located in Los Gatos, CA. And the address and numbers are 408*556-90040, 408*963-6703, 888*600*7658, 408*559*9391 with the 6703 number being where I got my satisfaction. Good luck.

I rented some movies and TV shows on Fandango (but billing goes through Roku). When I would rent a show it could not go through so try again later. When I tried again it went through with no problem. I did not think anything about it until one day I got online banking. When I looked at my bank statements I noticed I was being doubled billed for those shows that made me try twice to get. I E-Mailed Roku and told them about it and after tons of E-Mailing them and almost two months later they finally started to reimburse me for my purchases (up to $47.00 right now and not done yet). Not once have I heard an apology nor has Roku tried to help fix the problem. I am afraid to rent any more shows (and there are a lot I would like to watch) for fear of being double billed again.

We bought a Roku and got an error message while installing it that had us contact them via live chat or computer. We did live chat and a very difficult to understand person said there was a one time activation fee. We gave him our credit card and he activated they system. Later checked since no one mentioned the one time activation fee - turns out is a scam that Roku is aware of. Yet Roku sent no instructions with the box and no alert notice to us saying beware of scam and that there is no one time activation fee.

My Roku didn't work. I called customer support. They demanded my password and wouldn't do anything without it. After this they put a signal through and it started to work. The next day the same thing happened. When I called they demanded my password again and put pressure on me to pay a one-time fee of 80-100$. Why? I think they disrupt my service on purpose to get this money from me. There's a lot of violations - they don't have a right to ask for the password I believe and why do I have to the service I had free for many years? The worst experience! Very rude disrespectful people! They said it will happen again unless you pay this fee. They ask for a ransom. I haven't seen anything like this ever!

After trying for hours to connect to HHonors or AT&T Wifi at Hilton hotels, I started to do some research. Apparently this is a known issue that I should have gave up on much sooner, because even if you follow the steps exactly it does not work. One of the benefits of Roku is its portability, but this is not good for travelers. They have no support to help resolve anything either. There are much better options on the market these days. Highly disappointed.

I purchase a Roku Ultra direct from Roku. The product was defective, and I asked for a warranty exchange via telephone support. I received an email with return instructions, which did not include a return shipping label, as I was instructed to ship at my own cost. After a subsequent and lengthy phone conversation with support people who don't speak English well, I received a return shipping label. I shipped the product, followed by a week of silence. Ten days later I called again, and was informed that the replacement shipped, and was given a USPS tracking number. Today I learned that the replacement device was incorrectly shipped to Marianna Arkansas instead of Marana Arizona.

The support function is outsourced to an overseas location whose people are ill-trained and uninformed. These folks are difficult to understand - their English language skills are substandard. There is zero customer follow-up when there is a warranty return. I was told at one point I would receive an email with tracking information when the new product shipped. That didn't happen. Now I have to deal with these people again to push them to send me, again, the replacement. I've been in customer support hell, and it's not over yet.

The original boxes seemed to be ok. They then converted to these plastic junk boxes that simply work terribly. They freeze, they are slow, you continually have to reset the system because it is frozen. It also malfunctions and the screen goes black and you can't see but can hear. Watching TV with it is so frustrating. I will be junking the few I have and will NEVER order again. I have 4 and regret all of them. When I call or try to get help they are unavailable. They never help. There is no customer service. At least they could update the box. Prime example of living on a past reputation. They will be gone soon.

Bought 5 Roku devices. Read reviews they were superior to Apple TV. Big mistake. Have to reboot Roku every time I want to watch. Then get purple screen and have to unplug and replug. None of the online remedies work. Tech support says my firewall was problem and unauthorized persons was the problem. Keep in mind the other 4 devices and my 2 Apple TV's have no problems nor do my 8 other network devices. After spending 15 minutes listening to a firewall lecture the guy tells me I have to contact a certified technician to install a home network firewall system. How many people do that. I gave up and save enough money to get Generation 4 Apple TV which I should have done to begin with.

I have been a loyal Roku user since 2008. The company's products are wonderful and until recently the company's customer service was A+. Two weeks ago Roku rolled out a software upgrade to fix bugs and other improvements. I thought, "Great I am always happy to see improvements." However, once the upgrade was installed on my Roku 2720X unit the box has had problems with buffering and there is a serious jittering when scrolling through movie titles on Netflix and Amazon Prime (I only use my Roku for these two services) - prior to the upgrade all was well with my Roku 2720X.

Since the upgrade roll out I have been trying to contact Roku to get instructions on how to uninstall the upgrade. Using the company's website as instructed by Roku is absolutely worthless (no help at all) I called three different numbers, one sends the caller to a voicemail which is always full or hangs up on you, when you do get to the voicemail box and leave a message no one returns your call. The other number given tells you to go to the website for support or puts you in an endless loop of prompts and messages. Then if you trick the system you get put on hold for hours with no one picking up the line. I do not know what happened to Roku in the last year or so; however, the management seems to not care about customer service and it is a shame because like I said, Roku used to be a good company with good service.

Roku (I've had at least a year) stopped working. Happened several months ago and cust. serv. was helpful in getting it back on. Called today for help as unplugging and resetting didn't work. 'Kurt **' said he needed to connect to my computer. I realize now that I shouldn't have allowed it. He began scanning my laptop, found bad IP addresses with file rundll32 and needed to transfer me to their computer tech guy. This guy began a huge scam to sell me a firewall blah blah for 200 lifetime. Can't fix Roku until I set up firewall. Totally playing on fears.

When I objected to the cost, his 'supervisor' came down to 150. I still wouldn't buy. Told him I have a friend who's a comp. tech I wanted to talk to first. Could I call back in 30 min. and still get the 150 price. He said sure. Gave me a different # to contact Kurt directly. My friend agreed it's a scam and he should not have gotten into my laptop as Roku operates from modem not the computer. DUH. So still no Roku. I will call tomorrow, hopefully get a different tech (with less accent) and get service back... So disappointed, aggravated with Roku now.

This Roku is not user friendly. No manual included. I had problems from the beginning. Loading time is several seconds. Everyday I get a black screen sometimes lasting up to 35 seconds. The only movies free are 95% B rated, 1 star, or foreign with subtitles and not worth watching. I get 6 minutes of programming and 6-9 minutes of commercials. More black screens. At times the Roku does things on its own like taking me away from my movie and to a screen showing a selection of other movies or it will not load a movie at all. I've called tech support and they tell me to unplug then replug. A temporary fix. Still having problems and now they say I must pay for support. I should have returned it immediately. I don't have order # handy but I wouldn't have written this if I were not so very angry at Roku.

Got a new Roku player. Spent 3 hours trying to set it up. You can barely understand their customer support and they have you doing the same things over and over then tell you that your iPhone and iPads won't work to set this up. Called their main office and was given another number which told me there was no direct customer support for the unit I purchased. What a joke. These guys need to be shut down.

We bought a smart TV last May and have been fine with the Roku in it. We have Amazon Prime and Netflix and like to watch movies occasionally. Recently I had to do a factory reset on the Roku. When trying to connect to my internet router I kept getting an error message. I ended up on the phone with Roku. This guy tells me Roku has changed their policy as of 4/24/17 and now I have pay a one time payment of either $89 for basic or $129 for premium of Roku. WHAT? Now I can't use the Roku in my TV that I already paid for? WTH!!! Do not buy Roku. What a joke.

I can honestly say that even compared to Frontier Communications, Roku customer support is abysmal. They have yet to resolve a single issue I have had with their devices and they will not effectively resolve any issues with replacement devices for defective ones. I highly recommend using any other streaming device as Roku will simply take your money and leave you stranded.

On three separate occasions I found movies that I wanted to rent/purchase from Fandango through Roku. I would go to the site, click on rent or purchase, enter my PEN, the window would come up and tell me how much my account would be billed. I would accept the price, wait for the the purchase to be prepossessed then a window would come up and tell me my transaction could not be completed at this time and to please try again later. Within ten seconds I would get an e-mail from PayPal that a payment in the amount of the movie was made to Roku. I would call cus. serv. to inquire about the billing and was told, (this last time) that Roku has had a lot of complaints about Fandango and that Roku could not get a response from Fandango about the complaints. I was told Roku would reimburse me for the payments.

I've only received one out of three payments. I called Fandango to check on their explanation to this and was told that Roku is a third party vendor and that Fandango does not deal with PayPal. They had no record of those particular purchases on my account. If I want to be sure that my purchases would be correct I should make them from their website not from Roku. So now I have to get PayPal involved to get my money back.

We bought 2 for the house. Turned on internet $130 each Roku. Was $35 at Walmart. Had problems getting it to work. Called tech support. $49.99 for them to help me. Then channels would go blank but still had voices. Call again they told me its my internet. Nope all pc and phones and tablets work fine. We keep losing our channels so I called again. They reset it 2 weeks later same problem. I call back and he has me reset it to factory setting so I did. Then he tells me its $49.99 for them to turn it on. Wth? So were into $249 plus less than a month and no tv. Roku is a big joke. I wished I bought a Firestick or Google Plus. I've wasted so much time and money and the sad part is their quality support. All they want is your money. These tech supports are all out of country and very hard to understand. Never again. If asked I will tell them don't buy one.

Purchased 2 Roku Ultra devices both not working. Am unable to link them to my account, a waste of money and a very bad corporation to deal with. I complained about one device not being able to link then found both devices will not link. I think your other complaints are very accurate and they refuse to accept responsibility for their problems and customer service or tech support is just as bad if not worst. Do not purchase these devices. It's not worth your time or effort. I was very disappointed at the help I never got from that company and strongly suggest people not deal with them!

I purchased a 50" Roku smart TV and tried to connect it, I have had nothing but problems. I still cannot do a proper setup. I am going to return it and purchase another brand. I called customer support and was on hold for a half hour before speaking to a representative who had never heard of Verizon Fios, and spoke very broken English. I was on phone for 2 1/2 hours, with no success. He blamed my internet connection, although all of my other tv's and electronics work perfectly. He told me he could not do any more and to try again later. I have never received a follow up phone call. I got a email asking me to do a survey on the product and my experience. I let them know what had happened and I have still received no response. It says it is a problem with their website, but whatever it is, I do not recommend this product or company to anyone.

When I first got my TV everything was great. I set it up and it was good for awhile. Then my dog chewed up my remote. I called Roku and they said, "Get another remote" Well no one told me how hard and expensive it would be. And now two months later and I still don't have a remote. I tried to set it up manually and guess what. You dumb ** creators didn't put a ** select button on it. You want a good company to function well and have a lot of money do it right. A ** Tv from 10 years ago works better than your ** Roku. How is that? It has nothing. You can't connect anything to it. It's stupid. No wonder you only have one star. Your company is whack. Your tvs are **. You're supposed to make your company better than others, you didn't at all. It sucks. Other than the no select, so I can work the tv so I can get it past the ** set up page It's nice to use.

It was time to order a new Roku after enjoying my Roku 2 for almost 5 years. So I placed an order "directly" from Roku but it was never delivered. Upon contacting help@roku.com for assistance, they refused to track the lost unit and tried to make me contact USPS. I refused as it was THEIR responsibility to chase the lost unit and make sure I would receive the merchandise that I had already paid them for. Every time I sent them an email for help and update, they would just repeat the same information and did not seem to care at all. That left me no choice but to dispute their charge on my credit card and I was able to get my refund that way, which was 3 weeks after my original order date. Otherwise, Roku would have kept my money and wouldn't have done a thing for me. This has been one of the worst purchasing experience but I'm glad it's finally over. ***BUYER BEWARE*** THEY WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR INACTION.

Roku suddenly vacated the beautiful cityscape screensaver, leaving me with a little clock (yes, with the wrong time no less). I ordered a new screensaver but it didn't show up on my home screen or in my screensaver choices. I contacted the Roku people who then requested a ton of information that would have taken me an hour to locate instead of simply giving me instructions on locating the stupid screensaver that cost me monthly fee. I then immediately cancelled it. This has been an ongoing problem with Roku, i.e., being unable to solve any problems that continue to occur and lending virtually no control what-so-ever over my TV or its programming. Same problems have been occurring with Netflix. I suppose these guys are just way too big for their breaches but I have news for them, people are becoming disgusted and I may be opting out sooner than later!

Roku Company Profile