1.7/5 (36 ratings)

About Roku

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I got one of their drones and Had a stroke before I got to fly it. When I was able to was a year later and I love it. Unfortunately it had a bad problem and their tech has been such a lifesaver. Thank you Chain.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

My overall experience with Roku is very satisfactory they have lots of apps to stream on your computer or any device pretty much. The streaming app. Netflix is one of our favorites we like to watch often. A wide variety of tv shows and movie selections to choose from such as drama, Comedy, Sci-fi and romance. There is something I would to say about the Netflix Originals tv shows. They are usually very interesting and suspenseful but they have not enough seasons to have a great ending to the story or they cancel the show from having other seasons at all.

This leaves viewers such as I frustrated and confused how the storyline ends not complete with all the characters in a happier ending instead of their not being any follow through how they end up. Virgin River, Steel Magnolia, Switched at Birth, Country Comfort and others with this family-style genre. Thanks for steaming tools such as Roku to be able to watch these great TV shows and movies without the high priced cost of Satellite or cable fees charge. Very affordable rates and quality picture viewing. Thanks for this opportunity to share my review.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I cut the cord from Dish after they doubled my rate when I put my service on a vacation hold. I didn't expect Roku to be this good and nor upset with all the money I wasted over the years. I bought another and now have two. Cut the cord especially now.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

The remote control does not have enough direct buttons, to put close caption I have to go a thousand times in configuration, there are no numbers to directly select a channel, there is no button for swapping and other necessary buttons.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I've always been a Firestick person. Decided to go a different route, buying the Roku premiere. I couldn't be more happy with this product. The easy to use plug and play apps and more. I've made the switch. I will be purchasing more of these, replacing Firestick throughout my home.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I went to Fox Nation's website to join through their veterans offer. To complete the subscription I had to login on my TV. I clicked on the Fox Nation scan code which I later found out was through Roku. I was not able to get the free year for veterans nor able to cancel the subscription through Roku. All subscriptions through Roku are final and they will not provide a refund-even for a mistake. I have always used Amazon Fire streaming devices before purchasing Roku. I will never purchase Roku again.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Based upon the so called “support” I received, it is no wonder there are so many negative reviews about your total lack of customer support. I believe the reviews I read that stated ROKU has no customer support most accurately describe Roku’s customer service. In my opinion. Roku as a good product, but the company’s idea of customer support will eventually be the cause of millions of customers turning away from Roku. I personally will never purchase another Roku product. The whole idea of claiming you offer customer support without providing a opportunity to speak to a human being is total nonsense. If you are going to continue with your email only policy, I suggest you train all your staff how to read and comprehend the emails, and most importantly, learn how to respond to each concern or question in customer emails.

Furthermore, once a customer requests to speak to a manager, you need to set up a system to either have a manager call or email the customer within 24 hours instead of simply ignoring the request. You were unreasonably slow in processing my unopened return to the point where I finally had to file a billing dispute against Roku through my credit card dispute department just to get my refund. Frankly, Roku should just stop selling product direct to consumers.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have Roku. I was having problems with my roku so I contacted support. They sent me to a website which I paid 1.00. I did. The very next page they wanted me to pay 46.00. No way. I hung up. I was charged the 46.00 anyway. No one could help me when I called. I got bounced around from one department to another. Never fixed the problem. Now the bank is helping me with the dispute. So angry.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We have a 2+ year old Roku streaming stick for our motorhome, and it has worked well for us. Around the 1st of July we broke a USB end off a cable used to power the Roku stick, and I logged in to my Roku account to see if I could purchase a new cable. The accessories page said the cable I found was compatible with my Roku stick, so we ordered it. When it arrived I could tell it was not what we needed and would not work with our Roku stick.

I contacted Roku to return it and thought since it was what their website said was correct they would stand behind the sale and get me the correct part. They will accept the return and credit the $10 to my account but I need to pay the return postage, even though it was their web page they told me what to buy. Since the part is $10 and the postage to send it back is about $10, I have decided just to through the wrong part away and consider other streaming services. The customer support is slow, not very supportive, and every communication I had ended up being with a new person. Probably the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Bought a Roku and has continuous glitches of by "lost internet connection". I have great internet service so it's the TV!!! It's the worst TV I have ever used!!! It's a complete joke of a product and how this brand stays in business is beyond me.

Roku author review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team