Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: June 3, 2020

Generally, I really like ROKU and am very happy with the quality and value. Did have a problem with their system that neither they or HBO could resolve. Was streaming HBO, and it just stopped streaming; an unresolvable glitch with the payment gateway. At the time, payment was made separately through HBO’s website, but ROKU wasn’t getting the payment—a big disconnect.

Called and emailed customer service for both ROKU and HBO. Luckily, as an option, streamed HBO through Amazon Prime, though the quality is much better directly from the HBO Now app. About three or four years have passed. ROKU seems to have resolved it by adding a ROKU payment gateway directly on the ROKU platform, so no having to pay HBO separately on their website. ROKU is a very nice service. Have been streaming since 2010.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I tried this service (DIRECTV NOW) because I can't have a dish on my condo. At&t sold me the idea, and told me what I needed, but once I got everything I was on my own. I spent 3 days trying to get the service, ended up with a scammer online, and had them log into my PC and attempted to copy everything including my bank info. When I called at&t for assistance, they said, "we don't have anything to do with that". As soon as I was able to get back to Uverse, I cancelled. I do have Amazon Prime, and because I purchased a Roku, I enjoy their different series.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Roku is very convenient because you can put all of your streaming apps into one such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney and HBO. You can have all of those on this one device Roku. That's the good thing. There are other apps that are not that great and there's some apps that you have to pay for service actually. There's some apps that you have to have cable in order to watch shows. If you don't have cable then you can't watch the shows and that's a bummer because I don't have cable but Hulu is great, Netflix is great and I can watch them all on the Roku device and I have the Roku streaming remote.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Roku has enough free content for the whole family to enjoy endlessly. I only watch a few hours a day and limit the kids to a few hours but I spend a lot of time just browsing through the catalog. There are a few series I've gotten into too. I'm not sure who said there is an activation fee because I didn't submit a credit card number or anything. Connecting to WiFi was practically automatic. My access has been limited to the most basic level of service and I'm thrilled with it. There are ads and there are clickable commercials. Any ads will annoy me but I do not think they are overdone. This is not my only streaming service but Roku has the most free content I've found. I saw a Roku stick advertised at Walmart for like thirty bucks. It would be worth one for every tv in the house. Unfortunately I cannot cut cable until they stream NFL games for free and I like my local weather report but I prefer streaming over cable; especially for free.1

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

ROKU TV provides value for your money! Roku has a feature for your media, videos and Bluetooth for your music. Roku is easy to set up for those that don't feel comfortable around technology, it will walk you through each step, making it simple to connect to your Wi-Fi, Bluetooth device and computer! The possibilities of channels is endless. It saves me so much money. No longer using cable and can still have the channels I want paying a smaller fee. You can find local channels as well as the big ones (e.g. HBO, Starz, Showtime).

Using Roku's website to manage your channels and account makes it easier yet! I have found many channels that I had to pay through the nose to get on cable; here with Roku I can add it to my channel lineup for a small fee (e.g. HBO, Starz, Curiousity Stream, Lifetime movies= 14.99, 8.99, 3.99, 5.99) You can even subscribe to Sling if you want. Tired of a channel... Remove it! I save so much using Roku and have told friends about it too! Roku is beyond cable TV and it won't bleed you dry!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

It says they will not charge you to activate your device but yet the man who answered the support line continued to harass us to pay for a package even though we are only using it to stream. He said we HAD to buy one. I ended up doing it myself online. Thanks for being greedy and wasting our time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I went to activate a new Roku as I have several times before. I followed steps. Then on Roku setup page it gave me a phone number saying to call for assistance something went wrong. I called. A man answers and say I need to pay. I explain, "I never have and this say there is no charge to activate." He said this just recently started. I then said I cannot afford to pay.

I call back. A woman said, "I understand." I can go from $89.99 to $55.00 which I paid. She asked if I had cable or paid for streaming I replied yes. Well Saturday evening I called Roku (Which I have phone in my contacts). Recording says, "This is a Roku. We are not taking calls." I then go to Google and there it says, "Do not pay. If you do contact bank and remove software."

I’m dealing with my bank. I email Roku and Roku will not exchange the software. I got as a gift from my son. Roku per several emails keep saying we didn’t do it BUT THE PHONE WAS ON THEIR SOFTWARE WHEN I WENT TO SET UP. Online it says Roku has been hacked.... Roku do the right thing and exchange this software. We are seniors and need help, do the right thing.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I like Roku, always have. I have three devices in my home. I was disappointed, however, that when I opened up the box to my new 4K Ultra Roku that it did not include an HDMI cable. This is needed to use the device! What did Roku decide that this model should not include an HDMI cable?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I had a connectivity problem that took me two days to rectify. How I did it, I have no idea. A ROKU tech person could have solved the problem in a matter of minutes. I was ready to buy another streaming device when suddenly I fixed it. As I said, I have no idea how. Too bad zero stars aren’t allowed.

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you have issues with Roku like error 020, call Roku! Ah Roku support is not answering calls right now due to the Covid-19. Let’s email them, nope they send you all over the place tho they say you can email them. As far as fixing the error, their message on how to fix doesn’t work! So as far as I’m concerned, save your money or try Amazon Fire Stick! I am one disappointed customer who has bought 2 of these hoping my last upgrade would fix these issues! It Did Not!

Roku author review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team