Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.72/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Roku Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Really enjoy all the free choices. Between Roku and antenna tv, it seems crazy to pay for satellite or cable. People that have complained about not receiving CBS on their Roku, all they have to do is purchase a digital antenna for approx. $30 bucks and, depending on your location, receive another 50 or so free over the air stations. This includes CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Roku has enough free content for the whole family to enjoy endlessly. I only watch a few hours a day and limit the kids to a few hours but I spend a lot of time just browsing through the catalog. There are a few series I've gotten into too. I'm not sure who said there is an activation fee because I didn't submit a credit card number or anything. Connecting to WiFi was practically automatic. My access has been limited to the most basic level of service and I'm thrilled with it. There are ads and there are clickable commercials. Any ads will annoy me but I do not think they are overdone. This is not my only streaming service but Roku has the most free content I've found. I saw a Roku stick advertised at Walmart for like thirty bucks. It would be worth one for every tv in the house. Unfortunately I cannot cut cable until they stream NFL games for free and I like my local weather report but I prefer streaming over cable; especially for free.1

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Roku brings the best of entertainment with the simple click of a button. It is inexpensive and easy to install and whatever channel or type of entertainment you like is available with a simple install process. Most better known channels are already installed. I belong to several groups where people complain about other similar services but Roku always gets high praise. I even have an older model for my basement tv and it still works after 15 yrs. I would recommend to anyone for the price, ease of use and reliability.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

ROKU TV provides value for your money! Roku has a feature for your media, videos and Bluetooth for your music. Roku is easy to set up for those that don't feel comfortable around technology, it will walk you through each step, making it simple to connect to your Wi-Fi, Bluetooth device and computer! The possibilities of channels is endless. It saves me so much money. No longer using cable and can still have the channels I want paying a smaller fee. You can find local channels as well as the big ones (e.g. HBO, Starz, Showtime).

Using Roku's website to manage your channels and account makes it easier yet! I have found many channels that I had to pay through the nose to get on cable; here with Roku I can add it to my channel lineup for a small fee (e.g. HBO, Starz, Curiousity Stream, Lifetime movies= 14.99, 8.99, 3.99, 5.99) You can even subscribe to Sling if you want. Tired of a channel... Remove it! I save so much using Roku and have told friends about it too! Roku is beyond cable TV and it won't bleed you dry!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

A year ago I was still dealing with Dish TV. If I found the program I wanted to watch it was OK. But there many times when I tried to watch a station or program that was not from my usual small set of channels, that I missed the program entirely. Sometimes it took 30 minutes or more just to find the channel. And who wants to watch a program that's half over?

So then I switched to a YouTube TV/Chromecast setup. And it was somewhat easier and also cheaper than Dish. But it was still far from easy to get the program I wanted on the screen without a lot of wasted time - and, I'll admit, a fair amount of swearing. One day I saw an ad on TV that said the ROKU unit I was using for Netflix, Amazon and Pandora - also had the ability to connect to YouTube and the YouTube TV I was already buying from Google. It was not obvious how to set it up but I kept at it until I finally got those channels registered. Since then my TV watching experience has greatly improved. Finding any channel is far easier, usually just a few clicks on one remote that controls everything. I can now focus my swearing on the content. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone might find it useful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I bought a ROKU TV about a year and half ago, and all of sudden half of channels that I have downloaded stopped working and it has been about 5 months that this has been going on, contacted ROKU multiple times and get the same response “there is nothing we can do, contact the channel provider it is on Roku”. I’m so confused as to why your customers have to contact a channel provider that ROKU signed an agreement with to provide these channels and now that it isn’t working and multiple people have complained (Google search it) they have still done nothing about it.

ROKU advertised all of these great channels and great services but it’s false. I barely can use it. I just use my regular cable since it doesn’t work. ROKU does not see a problem with it all, they do not care about their customers or the false advertising. I AM TELLING YOU DO NOT BUY IT! You will be wasting your money, after a year it will seem like you just have a regular TV. Nothing new nothing major. I’ve seen so many people say the same thing. It’s just a way for them to keep getting money. I refuse to EVER buy from them again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have Roku on five TVs and it was the biggest mistake I ever made!! If you watch sports in FL no NBC or FOX sports? Even though my channel stores say they are installed I have no access. Please tell me why if I am streaming they want me to have an account with another provider to get access??? I wasted my money and raised my stress level at home through the frustrations of a terrible company. They have absolutely NO support for anything after you start running their program. A joke of a company built on BS and it will catch up to them. If TV sports access means anything to you ROKU is the last thing you want.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I bought a subscription to MotorTrend TV. For $49.99 4 a year after two months I don't have the subscription for some reason. They will not get back to me. When I called. I talked to some guy That was rude and said he couldn't do anything. I emailed. And got nothing. And now they're charging me $4.99 which I haven't noticed. They've been doing it for a while. And that has to do with Motor Trend Group, which I don't even know what that is.. So they're charging me for something I don't have and what I paid for I can't get. This is one of the worse Experiences with a company I have ever had. And I'm still trying to get answers. All I want is what I paid for. And not to get charged for something that I don't have.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Not a day goes by that my ROKU does not lose connectivity with the internet. I have full connectivity on my laptops but ROKU fails and the device is very very slow to respond to the remote. I truly regret the purchase.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I am writing a review because I bought several Roku devices because at first the product (Roku wireless streaming device) seemed to work well until 1 year in. When you call Roku to get the issue addressed they tell you that it is past the warranty for the product. This is bogus, a company should make a product that will last and unfortunately this company does not. They give you a faulty product then expect you to buy a new one when it doesn't work (after 1 year). This has happened with 3 of my devices and with 2 of my sister's devices. I would absolutely not recommend anyone buying this product. I am not using another streaming device that stands the test of time and if I have any issues the company has been more than willing to help me.

Not sure about Roku?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team