Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.78/5

Roku Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Roku brings the best of entertainment with the simple click of a button. It is inexpensive and easy to install and whatever channel or type of entertainment you like is available with a simple install process. Most better known channels are already installed. I belong to several groups where people complain about other similar services but Roku always gets high praise. I even have an older model for my basement tv and it still works after 15 yrs. I would recommend to anyone for the price, ease of use and reliability.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

ROKU TV provides value for your money! Roku has a feature for your media, videos and Bluetooth for your music. Roku is easy to set up for those that don't feel comfortable around technology, it will walk you through each step, making it simple to connect to your Wi-Fi, Bluetooth device and computer! The possibilities of channels is endless. It saves me so much money. No longer using cable and can still have the channels I want paying a smaller fee. You can find local channels as well as the big ones (e.g. HBO, Starz, Showtime).

Using Roku's website to manage your channels and account makes it easier yet! I have found many channels that I had to pay through the nose to get on cable; here with Roku I can add it to my channel lineup for a small fee (e.g. HBO, Starz, Curiousity Stream, Lifetime movies= 14.99, 8.99, 3.99, 5.99) You can even subscribe to Sling if you want. Tired of a channel... Remove it! I save so much using Roku and have told friends about it too! Roku is beyond cable TV and it won't bleed you dry!!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

A year ago I was still dealing with Dish TV. If I found the program I wanted to watch it was OK. But there many times when I tried to watch a station or program that was not from my usual small set of channels, that I missed the program entirely. Sometimes it took 30 minutes or more just to find the channel. And who wants to watch a program that's half over?

So then I switched to a YouTube TV/Chromecast setup. And it was somewhat easier and also cheaper than Dish. But it was still far from easy to get the program I wanted on the screen without a lot of wasted time - and, I'll admit, a fair amount of swearing. One day I saw an ad on TV that said the ROKU unit I was using for Netflix, Amazon and Pandora - also had the ability to connect to YouTube and the YouTube TV I was already buying from Google. It was not obvious how to set it up but I kept at it until I finally got those channels registered. Since then my TV watching experience has greatly improved. Finding any channel is far easier, usually just a few clicks on one remote that controls everything. I can now focus my swearing on the content. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone might find it useful.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Satellite bill was getting much too expensive. We only watch the premium movie channels, MSNBC, PBS, the History Channel to name a few. Why pay for any of the sports, religious or shopping channels? With Roku we get everything we want at a price less than half of satellite. They, DirecTV, wanted us to stay or switch to their streaming service at about $30 more than what we now pay through Roku, plus with a pending price increase slated after the first of the year you just can not trust AT&T in any way.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I've had my Roku $30 stick at home for going on 3 months. TV is not a smart TV but an 8 year old mid size LCD with HDMI connectors. I had no problems with the setup; after that it worked out of the box. I subscribe (pay for) only one channel (Acorn TV) and have had no problems with the monthly billing. Never had to contact anybody about it not working. I do sometimes have problems with load time of content, which I consider is due primarily to network congestion based on established factors I know about (other users, etc). I take the time to restart the stick once every 2 weeks or so because there's no way to turn it off other than unplugging it. It's straightforward and problem-free.

I see plenty of other users have major problems with various things to do with Roku, and because I haven't had any I thought I'd write this to let people know that it's not always difficult. Having said that, I have going on 30 years experience working with various data, voice, and VOIP networks... But I don't believe my knowledge has been an important factor in getting Roku to work. I'm a private individual not connected in any way with Roku, TV or internet companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Both my tv and my children's tv randomly shut off while we are trying to play a game or watch tv and it takes almost an hour to turn back on even though it shows the Roku title the whole time. Then after 15 minutes of watching something it shuts off again. I don't know if I just got unlucky and got bad tvs but I'll never buy another trash roku product again. I'm going to smash these tvs instead of selling or donating them cause I don't want to cause someone else this kind of annoyance.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Basically my review is summed up the same as everybody else's review about not being able to contact customer service. Received email from them advising that I needed to update one of my original express units, they offered a special to do this, so I took them up on it. They charged my credit card and advised that that unit was in stock. 4 days later still had not been shipped. Sent a reply email to the email they had sent me and of course returned as undelivered, went to their website, contact us link; complete waste of time: bottom line appears to be that they do not want to talk to you or hear from you, except, I guess thru these reviews; but then do they even care.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I have lived for a long time so I have seen, read, or written many hundreds or probably thousands of reviews and of all of those reviews that I have written only a handful were negative. This saga with Roku’s customer service began in the late afternoon and I finally quit the process about 4 hours later. What a headache. I was moved from one person to another and I was asked the same questions again and again so they obviously don’t read very well. One in particular was referring me to Spanish websites but that was of no help to me as I can’t read or write Spanish. The longer I stayed on their chat the more they were deleting my question because I was asking the same question. If they would read the previous chats I wouldn’t have had to answer the same question.

When I finally got to their reviewing process I found that they wouldn’t accept a negative review so now we know why they have “good” reviews. The Internet does have an answer for getting around updating your Roku though. Instead of paying Roku $100 for their latest version there are quite a few ways to turn your dumb TV into a smart TV. I used a laptop but there are several other choices that are less expensive.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I just purchased the Roku Express. I was able to set it up and get it working with no problem. However, every time I turn on my TV, I get a screen from Roku stating that there is a problem with HDCP. I've tried all of their trouble shooting suggestions and none work. So I decided to contact customer support. But when I go to their web site it says that my device is not eligible for agent-assisted support. I guess if you're competing against Amazon you have to cut costs somewhere. Unfortunately I will have to return this device and buy the Fire Stick. Don't waste your time with this piece of junk.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I bought one and have so far spent 10 hours trying to just set up an account which simply means putting you name, email address and creating a password, and that's it. But line freezes when I hit the create button, and does not I eventually leave the page. Thinking that maybe it took my email address and info I've tried logging on with it saying "email address or password does not match with our records"! I've spent countless hours looking through support sites and videos and none address this issue of troubleshooting and the videos say nothing about problems creating an account! Actually if anything it just skims over it. I've come to the conclusion it's defective and will return it and get my money back and go to Google streaming as I have a Google system, I just thought the stick would be handy to take from house to house. I guess not... beware people!

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout