3.5/5 (2711 ratings)

About Roku

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I got one of their drones and Had a stroke before I got to fly it. When I was able to was a year later and I love it. Unfortunately it had a bad problem and their tech has been such a lifesaver. Thank you Chain.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

My overall experience with Roku is very satisfactory they have lots of apps to stream on your computer or any device pretty much. The streaming app. Netflix is one of our favorites we like to watch often. A wide variety of tv shows and movie selections to choose from such as drama, Comedy, Sci-fi and romance. There is something I would to say about the Netflix Originals tv shows. They are usually very interesting and suspenseful but they have not enough seasons to have a great ending to the story or they cancel the show from having other seasons at all.

This leaves viewers such as I frustrated and confused how the storyline ends not complete with all the characters in a happier ending instead of their not being any follow through how they end up. Virgin River, Steel Magnolia, Switched at Birth, Country Comfort and others with this family-style genre. Thanks for steaming tools such as Roku to be able to watch these great TV shows and movies without the high priced cost of Satellite or cable fees charge. Very affordable rates and quality picture viewing. Thanks for this opportunity to share my review.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I cut the cord from Dish after they doubled my rate when I put my service on a vacation hold. I didn't expect Roku to be this good and nor upset with all the money I wasted over the years. I bought another and now have two. Cut the cord especially now.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

The remote control does not have enough direct buttons, to put close caption I have to go a thousand times in configuration, there are no numbers to directly select a channel, there is no button for swapping and other necessary buttons.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

Bought our 1st Roku that was a small device that plugged into the back of the TV. The device started off working good but over time it got slower until it would just freeze. I thought maybe getting a better device it would be better so we bought the one that is a small box with a cord that plugs into the back of the TV. This one is worse but cost more. No matter how many times you unplug this thing or reset it it just sucks. Constantly freezing up and acts like the remote is dead but it’s not.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

I have bought from this company for years. The product has not been bad for my needs. My issues came once I had to deal with customer service. It has been a complete nightmare. First trying to find a way to contact them is difficult. Once I finally "chatted" with someone, it took forever to get them to help me. All I wanted was to return an order I ended up not needing. Simple, right?!? NO. After a 45 minute waste of time going back and forth, I finally got them to give me a return authorization number. I sent the item back, it was received last month and still no refund. It has now been almost 16 days since they received it. I have sent emails, gone through Facebook trying to get help and still nothing. I will NEVER buy another Roku device, EVER. They have lost a long time customer. If I could I would warn the masses not to buy from these people.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Purchased two Roku smart tvs from Walmart on November 13. Tvs worked, one stopped working on November 27. Walmart refused exchange or return for not having the box even with my receipt and Roku's non existence of customer support has ensured me that I will never purchase a Roku item again. Save yourself the money and disappointment and purchase a better tv.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

I bought a 40” Roku tv about four years ago. Loved using it the entire time. All of a sudden one day the bottom left corner began melting, TV no longer works and warranty only good for one year. Now we don’t have a TV. Very unsatisfied with the brand, will not be buying another one.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

I have a tv with Roku in it. I tried to get FULL GAMES of curling on TSN CA and the TSN APP but all I get are 2 min replays instead of the full CURLING games advertised but cannot get it. Advice please.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

The remote control batteries are loose inside and have to be re-placed every time to get the remote control to work. Electronics store looked up on computer but couldn't find a recommended Universal for me to buy to replace it.

Roku author review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team