3.8/5 (979 ratings)

About Roku

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: March 13, 2021

I have never had anything but good service from Roku. I really enjoy paying only for channels I want, and being able to never see any commercials by paying a buck or two extra. Roku seems to be channeling the execrable standards of cable and satellite conglomerates. In particular, they have begun finding ways to force channels onto your list that you haven't asked for. I suspect that it is entirely their doing as a way to get you to try channels that make them the most money.

The company has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. They have a self-serving forum, but there is no possible way to ask the company to resolve any issue. If you want to speak to a technician, you are sent to a for-profit service that you can pay for answers. But the $1.00 charge includes a stealth monthly membership that you must remember to disable or pay for forever.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Generally, I really like ROKU and am very happy with the quality and value. Did have a problem with their system that neither they or HBO could resolve. Was streaming HBO, and it just stopped streaming; an unresolvable glitch with the payment gateway. At the time, payment was made separately through HBO’s website, but ROKU wasn’t getting the payment—a big disconnect.

Called and emailed customer service for both ROKU and HBO. Luckily, as an option, streamed HBO through Amazon Prime, though the quality is much better directly from the HBO Now app. About three or four years have passed. ROKU seems to have resolved it by adding a ROKU payment gateway directly on the ROKU platform, so no having to pay HBO separately on their website. ROKU is a very nice service. Have been streaming since 2010.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I cut the cable that cost about $200 a month and bought a Roku 3 for about $50 that works with my WiFi system and my Smart 4ktv. I have not regretted it, as Roku provides all the channels and streaming programs and films I need for news and entertainment with its wide choice of free programs and films including You Tube, The Roku channel and many others. I receive a better picture than with the cable service- a true 1040p. I have only had to call them for tech service once or twice. Set it up myself. It was easy.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I tried this service (DIRECTV NOW) because I can't have a dish on my condo. At&t sold me the idea, and told me what I needed, but once I got everything I was on my own. I spent 3 days trying to get the service, ended up with a scammer online, and had them log into my PC and attempted to copy everything including my bank info. When I called at&t for assistance, they said, "we don't have anything to do with that". As soon as I was able to get back to Uverse, I cancelled. I do have Amazon Prime, and because I purchased a Roku, I enjoy their different series.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Roku is very convenient because you can put all of your streaming apps into one such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney and HBO. You can have all of those on this one device Roku. That's the good thing. There are other apps that are not that great and there's some apps that you have to pay for service actually. There's some apps that you have to have cable in order to watch shows. If you don't have cable then you can't watch the shows and that's a bummer because I don't have cable but Hulu is great, Netflix is great and I can watch them all on the Roku device and I have the Roku streaming remote.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Roku tv constantly buffers/drops Newsmax TV. Roku has 30 second delay of Newsmax TV broadcast compared to Newsmax TV app on smartphone so it is easy to see this censorship. Buffering occurs Constantly at strategic points in pertinent interviews of Newsmax broadcasts. Roku Tv also has terrible audio, no volume or clarity, a stereo receiver attached is necessary to hear All programming.

Original review: April 19, 2021

ROKU is Unethical and Unhelpful. My roommate had one, and I previously had my bank card on it, and he was paying me for the services. I cancelled my old card and got a new one, with a new number. I noticed today my bank account was charged again, so I go look on Roku and my NEW card is on there.. He claims he didn't put it on there, and I just got the card like a week ago, it's been in my wallet. So I contact roku, logging into his account. But since I'm not the "account holder" they refuse to remove MY credit card, or reverse charges saying only account holder can remove it. I explained to them the card is mine, and I did not authorize its use, and having it on someone else's account without my consent should be circumstances that warrant removal, what if the card was stolen? They kept telling me I had to ask him to remove my card.

I also had to ask him to try and remove charges, because even though it's my money they are taking, he owns the "account". It's unethical to continue using a card that has been reported as being unauthorized, had it been some criminal that had stolen my card, I'd never be able to get it removed, and he could charge all he wanted with ROKU's approval.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I ordered two items, received 1 and was billed for both items ordered. I contacted customer service and received a reply within 24 hrs. I have since contacted them 3 times and each time received the same reply. It appears they have little concern for their customers' satisfaction.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I bought a new Roku tv. I don’t really care for tv. It’s for my family. But regardless I have lately been trying to sit down and get involved so I purchased some apps. However I got a promotional email offering me 30 free days of amc+. I believe if you are going to be offered a free trial subscription that it should not be contingent upon offering over your credit card info. If it’s that damn good. I should want to volunteer to pay for the service after it gets disconnected following the lapse of my trial subscription. So I give you 1 star until you prove otherwise.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I have a ROKU tv that I bought almost 3 years ago. It has developed a dark line across the top portion of the screen. I have researched, been on blogs, reviewed the support website and I have come to the conclusion that they put faulty parts in the television; they know they did and the parts last just long enough to get past the warranty coverage. Most of the consumers that had complaints (there are hundreds, there should be a class action suit) had to replace their tv because it could not be repaired. I will be getting another brand. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a little extra. Buyer beware, stay blessed.

Roku author review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team