1.65/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

256 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

Like others reviewing here, I canceled HBO Now months ago. A few weeks ago I realized my credit card was still being charged for it. I canceled it again in May. I was just charged for it again yesterday. I don't think Roku should be trusted. At best, they have a software problem that is, conveniently for them, continuing to charge for canceled services. At worst, they are intentionally stealing. I don't know which it is, but I will never trust them again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have been a ROKU ULTRA user for over two years and overall very happy. Getting my wife on board was a big plus. To access the channels we had with cable I have a subscription to PlayStation Vue. It has most of our local stations plus we can watch our baseball and football games. What isn't available on the package I have a amplified roof antenna. Switching is done with the TV remote. I also have a Pandora free account. I installed a highly recommend router that eliminated buffering. There's more free apps than you need. I cut my cost in half. That was my goal.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a "SMART TV" because I was cutting Cord on Cable. Bought it because I love watching YouTube Documentaries. In order to use "SMART" part of TV to stream, you have to register with Roku. They ran a credit report without asking me after I registered my new TV with them dropping my credit rating from "Excellent" to "Good". I have no intention of using their "Pay For" Movies or other streaming services. I do not watch much TV and one reason I got rid of cable was that of that. I already have Netflix I pay for direct from Netflix. I never rented movies on my carrier I dropped. I am going to file a dispute with Transunion.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I got my Roku stick as a promotion when I subscribed to DirecTV Now in February 2018. It was relatively easy to connect and use. I was able to subscribe to channels and programs without a problem. I've had it about 3 months now and about 2 weeks ago it stopped connecting to wifi. It was always horrible about spooling, but then I started getting messages that I needed to reconnect to the internet. I thought maybe it was my internet, but DirecTV Now works just fine from my laptop with an HDMI cable. Plus, I haven't had any issues with internet on any device. Reading reviews, I see that other people have had this problem. It's not an occasional problem - it stops every few minutes and makes me reconnect. Then I have to jump through all the hoops to get back to where I was in the program. I do this over and over until I just give up. Would not recommend the Roku stick.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Roku stopped working properly - Had this for about a month now... At everything worked fine now... E.g. watching a movie the picture stops, says loading, goes to 33%, plays a bit, then stops, says 55%, plays a bit, stops, says 75% on and on. Very disgusted. How are you supposed to watch anything with program doing that? What's wrong with thing?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: May 22, 2018

Roku Support deleted my acct and turn around and tried to bill. About 45 mins. ago tried using the service, a gray screen appeared. After many attempts to try and remove it, I just decided to just plug it. When I plug it back in the service took me to the stages of setting up a NEW! acct but I already have one. I call support 1-900-857-0110. The guy got my name, email and at the time I was log-in but after giving that info my acct was deleted. I got this thing from Evine.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When purchasing a streaming device you’d expect to be able to stream any service available to you, but not with Roku. They seem to discriminate against some streaming service providers. I used a Russian streaming service Tvteka and have been since 2014 on Roku but in the last year or so that channel has been continuously disappearing from the device and I had to use a Roku developer mode in order to reinstall Tvteka back into the system and it worked for a while until recently when Roku decided that they would lock out the developer mode from devices that have been used in the past to access it. And now I can’t stream Tvteka from Roku anymore. Next thing you know Netflix, Hulu or your other favorite streaming service is gone and you can’t do anything about it. Don’t waste your money on Roku, buy an Android streaming device like Amazon Firestick or one of many other options available and you would not regret it like I am now.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Had Roku HD few years ago; never ever worked! Customer service was useless! So sold on eBay; a friend has the Roku 1 (original Roku), and suggested I try it, so, bought Roku 1 for 2003 TV (older TV w/out HD), and it was perfect (for fraction of what new one costs)!! Got another Roku 1 (again for less than $10 on eBay), and it is perfect for another older TV (2001). The thing is: not using usb connection, so I'm thinking Roku works best with the (red, white, yellow) cable connections. Never had a problem with the 2 Roku 1's that I have, which I've had for almost a year now, and I've bought each USED on eBay! (We watch 3 local channels, about 10 cable channels, Netflix, and every single free channel offered on Roku... LOVE the option of being able to watch old horror movies!!

I noticed that some customers are reviewing the remotes as well. I had bought 2 remotes on eBay (1 for a backup, and another because a Roku 1 I bought on eBay didn't include remote). Never had problems with remote, and I have crippling arthritis! The ONLY GRIPE I have is that I have to constantly activate various channels on a weekly basis (and this is for both Roku 1's)!! This is annoying, to say the least! So time consuming and I do not have computer in same room as the 2 TVs... So WHY do I have to activate channels? Never have to re-activate Netflix or Crackle! On the whole, I love my Roku 1's!! Saves me $50 a month for extra boxes for cable. I can't wait to 'cut the cord' on another (older) TV!! But am mildly annoyed for having to constantly reactivate most channels on a bi-monthly basis!! Shouldn't have to do this once initial connection completed!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Awful customer service. I had to cancel my Roku twice and they continued to charge me for Showtime (for a year until I noticed it on my credit card). They said they could not credit back the $ because the account was closed. Seriously.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Roku is terrible. I advise no one to get a Roku Insignia TV because the TV is updated. It messes with the internet connection. My TV is connected but it says thats it's not. So do not waste your money. you will be highly upset because I am.

Original review: May 14, 2018

With so much competition out there in the media streaming box sector, ROKU should re-evaluate how they are treating their customers. I had HBO NOW on the Roku which I was charged for through my Roku account. I cancelled it by following the instructions provided by Roku. And it was completed. I was charged for it again today and all I received from Roku customer service was an apology, instead of the refund I wanted. I wonder how many people they have scammed like this with people using Roku cancelation process. Never again will I use the Roku. Already bought a better box.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Sling is cheaper than cable and since I still have to pay to have internet another $37.00 a month is a deal to watch live tv shows. The downside is at times Roku will boot me out but it is an easy fix just annoying at times. The Sling packages are not the best but I do have a few of my favorite channels livestreamed.

Original review: May 5, 2018

At least every other week the Roku remote just stops working and now the one of the two that I have will not pair any more. I have only had them less than a year. I bought a fire stick a few months after that and still have not had any problem and they are about the same cost. Will be getting rid of both of the Rokus that I have. They are just junk!

Original review: May 3, 2018

To the person that said hard earned money??? Seriously dude??? It's an entire $35 compared to the prices that Spectrum tends to jack up with their cheesy set-top boxes, this is awesome. I'm gonna give it a 4 star, because when you scroll through the menu, it lag spikes and jumps past the search icon, then I have to scroll back. I have really bad Osteoarthritis, and it hurts my fingers to push the Roku remote. The remote itself, is really small as well so this is why I give it 4 stars and not 5 stars. For people with finger problems, it can be a tad bit tricky to scroll through. I will be investing in a wireless keyboard for this issue. That said, I have my Roku set-up with Sling Tv, and Netflix and Hulu. This still adds up way cheaper than Spectrum. When I had Spectrum I was paying nearly $300 per month, with the packages that they jacked up on us.

Now I pay $89 per month, for Spectrum phone and internet 100 megs, and Sling tv, with my Roku. I REFUSE to go back. So, whomever said your hard earned money, you're being a tad bit dramatic. It's $25, without the competent cables, for an OLDER MODEL TV, if you have a NEW smart tv, you don't need the cables. You only need an HDMI cord, if you have an older model tv and want to turn it into a smart tv. Most NEWER smart tv's come with an HDMI cable anyway. You're good to go. If you have an older model tv, and want to turn that older model tv into a smart tv, then you need to have Roku Express and a Universal remote, which is like $10 at Wal-mart depending on which universal remote that you want. I prefer the bigger remotes, just get an ONN remote, and you're done.

A word of advice for Sling, Sling needs to make their remotes bigger, and stop the lag spikes jumping around when you change channels, then it will get a 5-star rating by most customers. I am extremely tech savvy, I used to do Tech support for a living for Verizon FIOS, and Frontier DSL, so I know it's NOT MY ISP. We have 100 megs package from Spectrum, their internet is extremely fast and can handle multiple devices connected. The Roku channels run really smooth even my Netflix, streams pretty smoothly with no lag spike issues, it's just the Roku menu that lags out. Other than that, my Roku is good. I will suggest this, PLEASE ROKU get Destination America Go, channel. Thanks!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

It came with all the apps included which was a real bonus. The only bad part of our Roku is that the volume doesn't go very high at all. It's almost like they want you to purchase a sound bar. Overall great tv.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Don't waste your time, effort or money. Cumbersome set up only for (free) access to old and unpopular shows, movies and dated news. Plan on spending a lot of time searching for anything worth watching and spending your hard earned money for shows included in basic cable for much less. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Bought the top of the line unit and was unable to get it to work. Got message "unable to connect. Contact customer support". Called and got someone from a third world country that told me my router had been hacked and Roku could not connect until I resolved the problem. He would connect me with a support person that would fix it for a small fee. Strange all my TVs work through my router and laptop, just not my new Roku.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Not sure why I purchased this thing in the first place. Maybe broaden my TV experience and get rid of a 10' HDMI cable from PC to TV. First time watching a rented movie from Google Play via Roku, it just constantly kept stopping and buffering, switched back to HDMI cable from PC, worked fine. Gotta wonder.

Original review: April 11, 2018

While trying to input Roku access code I get a cannot connect. So, called the support number and rep. tells me I do not have a secure internet connection and need to pay $100 per year for one so Roku will install. I am returning Roku to store for a refund. Seems like a scam.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought the Roku TCL TV new in 2017 and have had it for less than a year. It constantly hangs when trying to turn it on and when trying to stream on demand shows on Sling. I can connect the same TV to my laptop with an HDMI cable and can watch on demand shows without any problems. Sometimes while watching streaming shows that are not on demand the TV will suddenly freeze up and the screen goes red like it does when starting up.

You can't connect an internet cable to this TV to increase the internet speed. I turn off all other devices using my internet except a video doorbell and still can't watch on demand. It buffers and will never play, My Internet with a cable is 40 Mbps and around 12 Mbps using wireless. I have another TV with a Roku 3 that works fine so there is something wrong with the TV. I have set my Sling settings to the lowest quality resolution and still doesn't stream on demand.

Another really annoying thing about this TV is a light on the front that stays on. The light is bluish white and 3-4 inches long and won't go off unless you cut the power. I turn off the power strip every night because it's in my bedroom and keeps me awake if I don't. I really wish I hadn't purchased this TV. I like the Roku 3 and thought the TV would work the same.

Original review: April 4, 2018

First time I bought Roku 2 XS, 5 years ago. Was never able to use it. Netflix could not be used in my country (even though I could use it on my PS4, phone, TV, etc). Recently, 5 years later, I tried to use Netflix and it finally worked. The device was slow as crap, but I could stream Netflix. This made me decide to give Roku another try by purchasing a TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) with Roku TV.

One month later I could not use Plex in my new Roku TV. After using it for a month it just stop working. After wasting a lot of time with Roku representatives, they blamed Plex. After going to Plex forums it turns out that a Roku update is missing and that causes problems with Plex. In the forum, Plex representative gave me a link to download the Roku update and fix it. Its Roku's problem that another company had to fix. I cannot recommend Roku to anyone. They have constant problems and their customer service is atrocious. Do not solve problems.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had an issue with my debit card being compromised and didn't update my information in Roku until my Hulu subscription was placed on hold. I updated my card information and it has been 8 hours since I did and no Hulu streaming. My bank account hasn't been charged but I can't get ahold of anyone at Roku to have them push a button to activate my Roku. It's Masters week, FFS, and as soon as I get this handled I am dumping Roku. They have no one to talk with on the phone and their website doesn't have any help for me in this situation, so I have had it with Roku and will talk bad about them as long as I can talk. Totally worthless company.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Got my Roku. Set it up on their website. They said I did not do it right so too bad for me. I do not get my free 50 bucks in Sling TV. I talk to Sling TV and they said Roku did this to a lot of people. Not right.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I got a Roku TV. Was not told that I would have to pay more before I can it. I am old school and believe that when you buy something it should work. They told me I had to pay 100 dollars more before I can watch anything on it. I know in my heart this is not right. Seems to me something needs to be done about this. It is consumer fraud. I couldn't even use my antenna or see anything till I paid them.

Original review: March 29, 2018

NOTHING IS FREE!!! I am old enough to know that. Still I bought the Roku device, plugged into my TV, started setting up - ouch!! PROBLEM!!! Could not continue. I have called Roku support (that is the name "support") line, very NICE LADY, "offer" me a "REGISTRATION" for a price $249; After about 15 minutes of sales pitch I finally understood? that if I do not purchase the one time "registration" my Roku will not be activated. Funny thing was - they offer senior discount (I believe she said $199?). So I am still laughing (sarcastically) on the way to store where I purchased the "thing". My loss about $3.00 gas money.

Original review: March 29, 2018

If you need Roku support and expect immediate results forget it. Have been trying to connect an account with my new tv with no results. Followed all directions from the start at least ten times, tried the help box and cannot connect even online. Contacted Roku support via email, after six days of waiting, I sent another notice and someone with an unpronounceable name replied. Followed the new instructions and still no connection. I am at a complete loss and not happy with Roku at all. Love the TCL tv I bought, but Roku leaves a lot to be desired.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I kept getting buffering and drops, I verified network, ISP, setup QoS and fails on Hulu and DirecTV Now. I bought an Apple TV and Amazon Fire Stick. No more problems! I try to contact Roku and in short if you didn’t purchase direct within last 30 days you are SOL! Your support sucks! Your quality sucks! And you hide from direct consumer contact! May you go out of business!!! I am taking an ultra and premium to the range to shoot and post on YouTube! That is the best your product is for, a piece of junk!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have two ROKU devices, one of which I've had for several years. When it works, it's good, but it's extremely unreliable. If you ever plan on having a nice time looking at a movie or TV show with ROKU, don't count on it, because it's so temperamental, that you'll just end up looking for alternative viewing methods. Even if you've paid for specific channels, it won't let you get to them if it happens to be one of their frequent times of acting up with no service availability. I would never recommend this product. My daughter has another device which I'm going to try because she never experiences any problems and we live in the same house so it's not network issues or TV's because we also have the same TV. I'm seriously disappointed as this morning was one I was looking forward to catching up on a TV series on a channel I purchased through ROKU and now I have to put it off until I can get a 'reliable' device.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Roku and DirecTV Now are not a good mix, if you choose to get DirecTV Now please choose other devices to stream it on. Amazon Fire Stick or Apple TV! The issue I have with Roku is that when you are trying to watch tv the shows are constantly loading especially during the good parts. I originally thought that the issue was with DirecTV so one day I tested watching DirecTV on my laptop and iPad and guess what. No loading problem at all.

Roku is a multi-million dollar company that is not prepared to stream with DirecTV Now. I am going to contact DirecTV and ask if I can return the Roku device and get the Apple TV because Roku and DirecTV Now are not a good mix. I am very disappointed in Roku as I have used their devices for years with no streaming issues until I got the DirecTV Now. And before anyone asks I have 2 Roku devices and they both have issues steaming DirecTV NOW. The sad thing is when I want to watch a show on DirecTV NOW I always open the app on my laptop because chances are on the Roku device it will load and load and load, it's very frustrating!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Many times I have searched for content on Roku. I have found the search most always shows channels where there is a charge to watch the content and not the free channels. I have contacted Roku and they always act like it is news to them. I use Roku for the free content not to pay $4 for a 20 year old movie. It is deceptive of Roku to say that their search uses all channels, I can tell you it does not.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout