1.63/5
Based on 108 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

270 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased an Insignia Roku TV under 1 year ago. The remote has now stopped working and there is no way to replace it (other than buying one used on Amazon, which I did order out of desperation and didn't receive). I am telling everyone I know not to buy a Roku ANYTHING. Once the cheaply made remote conks out, your $800 TV becomes worthless. Totally ridiculous. I've contacted Roku and Insignia and they are completely ignoring the issue. These remotes must cost $1 to make - they should be EASILY replaceable. I sense some sort of not-so-honest business scheme here.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought the Roku express. I installed it on the TV in my den. I liked it so well I bought another for the TV in my bedroom and they worked great. I told people how much I liked them. One day they both stopped working. I did all the steps to get them restarted and nothing worked. I contacted customer service and they said I couldn't speak to a tech support representative. So now I have two Roku units that is no good to me. I think that's a sorry way to do business and I will tell everyone I know about my experience and suggest they don't buy this product.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When using the Roku Sudoku app I finally got around to reviewing the record times and watching the record play. It was in error. The app said that the world record time was a minute and the guy playing didn't finish within 6 minutes and had messed it up completely. Something wrong with the code and no feedback options on Roku.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We have had a happily used two Roku streaming units for almost a year. One of the remote controls was broken and needed to be replaced. This is when I found out that there is pretty much zero support for their products by the company. The model number for the remote I had was different than the ones on their website so I wanted to confirm which one was the right one before I bought it. There is no way to reach anyone at the company. The "Contact Us" takes you in an endless loop of FAQ topics. I finally found an email address customerservice@roku.com. Emailed twice, zero response. I found a Roku Forum that seems to be more for techies but I signed up and posted there, still no one could answer my question, just got Roku employees saying that someone should have responded, etc. I am very wary of companies that do not provide any kind of support for their products so wanted to let others know. Maybe they will do something about it!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have been dealing with Roku and HBO for one year. I am 77 years old and the internet is a mystery to me. When I signed up in July 2017, I received the first month free for HBO. I only watch Game of Thrones and canceled after the free month but Roku kept charging me. When I called Roku I was told it was canceled. When I began seeing the charges for Roku, I called and was told it was canceled. I ignored the issue and didn't watch HBO but when I would call about the account, Roku said I didn't have an account. When my son helped me I pulled off the Accounting for Roku in July 2018, Roku Told me to call HBO. But HBO said I didn't have an account and needed to call Roku.

For one year, I have not had an account with HBO (no service from HBO,) no movies or series were seen during that year. I requested a refund from either Roku or HBO since I did not receive any service. I paid $189 for service for one year at $15.83, couldn't stop payments as I didn't have an account with HBO. My son tried to put HBO on his email account, hoping to resolve the $189 fees paid and no services. No response from either Roku or HBO. If payment went to Roku, I want a full refund for $189 since I could not access a non-existing account with HBO. Just paying Roku $15.83 monthly. Please help me resolve this. My social security is low and this was supposed to be my entertainment for each month. I could have gone to 3 senior movies per month but I was paying with no response or no account acknowledgment for HBO and Roku.

Roku has no monthly fees since I bought the system from them. But they didn't forward it to HBO since no HBO account was found. The customer service for both Roku and HBO places the blame elsewhere, leaving me without the ability to stop the payments or give me the service. At this point, just refund me the money. July 2018 has been paid on July 12th if the Roku account is still charging me on August 12, I will want double refunds or some other compensation for their inability to stop payment since I don't have an account but the fees continue. All the above is true and correct, Frustrated, & sorrowful, consumer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: July 29, 2018

I have been trying, for more than 6 month to change payment method for a Roku account. All she wanted to do was change the payment method. However, she no longer has access to the email account. The only way you can reset a password is to have the link sent to the email account under which the account is registered. So it's impossible to reset a password without actual, human assistance. I once successful one time in speaking to a human. The customer service rep said she reset the password to something like aaabbb (obviously a standard reset so a password can be changed) except when we tried to input the password, the input screen would time-out. I tried repeatedly over three days to get the reset password to enter, but it always timed out.

After three days, the reset password is no longer good. I have been trying for months to get an actual human CSR to speak with. I even went through Roku Customer Service online (a complete joke) and signed up to get a phone call. That still hasn't happened. When I finally do get a chance to change the password, I'm cancelling all Roku subscriptions! I would rather manage the 3 or 4 subscriptions for channels I watch through the actual channel! (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, FilmStruck, etc.)

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have a 3 month old Roku TCL TV that intermittently drops network connection. The only way to reconnect it is to power cycle. I contacted Roku thinking they might have a patch or something since they run the software... After staying in queue for over an hour the inept tech asked questions without keeping up with the chat string and took way too long to answer each time. Then, blew me off to TCL. WORST tech support ever with tech named Deepthi.

Original review: July 17, 2018

After only 6 months, the unit oversized the menu screen. I reset the unit, even worse. I called support. They said that I had deleted some new software that they had installed. They wanted $25.00 to reinstall the software. It cost $69.00 to activate the service just 6 months ago. How do I know that the software that they installed didn't cause my problem to begin with? ROKU IS A SCAM!!! I will use another service.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I purchased a Roku 3 about two years ago and never really worked right. There was freezing, pausing especially with MLB but with other services like PlayOn and Netflix. I called Roku when the baseball season started because the service (video) would freeze while the audio kept going on as normal. The only way I could sync the video and audio was to use the pause button on the remote for from anywhere between 20 to 45 seconds. Then it would only lasts a few minutes before I had to do it again. Support blamed it on MLB.

Yesterday the Roku unit just died, no power at all. I called the 1-816-272-8106 support number, where I don't know where the call was routed to but I soon found myself talking to a foreign support person I could barely understand. Took me 20 minutes to explain the situation to who then told me to go pound sand. That's it. I'M DONE WITH ROKU. - If Roku can't get together with MLB and warranty their products, there are several more better and cheaper products out there.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have had Roku for close to a year now and all of the sudden I start to have problems using the service. I call Roku tech support and when they start telling me I have to pay to have the issue fixed because no one else can fix the issue. I then get hung up on twice and the third time I am directed by Shawn to the supervisor Mark who then proceeds to basically threaten me that if I don't pay for their tech support ($200.00) then I will not be able to use my service. I feel they are not treating me fairly and holding my service hostage unless I pay for their security protection. I own two Roku t.v.'s that are now useless and the Roku stick I use on my main t.v. is no longer usable. What can be done about this? Thank you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I signed up for ACORN TV with Amazon streaming and pay approx $6 a month. I have received a bill from Roku for 49.99 for Acorn TV. I never even contacted Roku and I don’t understand this charge. You cannot get through to Roku. It seems to me to be a billing scam.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I constantly get the "Service Unavailable" message from ROKU when I try to contact them, they do not have a number to call any place online and do not give you adequate information to correct the issue.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Please do not waste your money to purchase any ROKU streaming stick if you plan to use with Spectrum (Time Warner) TV. We have been getting constant errors and lack of connectivity when attempting to watch any Spectrum program. After contacting ROKU, I was informed they were aware of the problem and their only solution was to just 'try again later'.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Like others reviewing here, I canceled HBO Now months ago. A few weeks ago I realized my credit card was still being charged for it. I canceled it again in May. I was just charged for it again yesterday. I don't think Roku should be trusted. At best, they have a software problem that is, conveniently for them, continuing to charge for canceled services. At worst, they are intentionally stealing. I don't know which it is, but I will never trust them again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have been a ROKU ULTRA user for over two years and overall very happy. Getting my wife on board was a big plus. To access the channels we had with cable I have a subscription to PlayStation Vue. It has most of our local stations plus we can watch our baseball and football games. What isn't available on the package I have a amplified roof antenna. Switching is done with the TV remote. I also have a Pandora free account. I installed a highly recommend router that eliminated buffering. There's more free apps than you need. I cut my cost in half. That was my goal.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a "SMART TV" because I was cutting Cord on Cable. Bought it because I love watching YouTube Documentaries. In order to use "SMART" part of TV to stream, you have to register with Roku. They ran a credit report without asking me after I registered my new TV with them dropping my credit rating from "Excellent" to "Good". I have no intention of using their "Pay For" Movies or other streaming services. I do not watch much TV and one reason I got rid of cable was that of that. I already have Netflix I pay for direct from Netflix. I never rented movies on my carrier I dropped. I am going to file a dispute with Transunion.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I got my Roku stick as a promotion when I subscribed to DirecTV Now in February 2018. It was relatively easy to connect and use. I was able to subscribe to channels and programs without a problem. I've had it about 3 months now and about 2 weeks ago it stopped connecting to wifi. It was always horrible about spooling, but then I started getting messages that I needed to reconnect to the internet. I thought maybe it was my internet, but DirecTV Now works just fine from my laptop with an HDMI cable. Plus, I haven't had any issues with internet on any device. Reading reviews, I see that other people have had this problem. It's not an occasional problem - it stops every few minutes and makes me reconnect. Then I have to jump through all the hoops to get back to where I was in the program. I do this over and over until I just give up. Would not recommend the Roku stick.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Roku stopped working properly - Had this for about a month now... At everything worked fine now... E.g. watching a movie the picture stops, says loading, goes to 33%, plays a bit, then stops, says 55%, plays a bit, stops, says 75% on and on. Very disgusted. How are you supposed to watch anything with program doing that? What's wrong with thing?

Original review: May 22, 2018

Roku Support deleted my acct and turn around and tried to bill. About 45 mins. ago tried using the service, a gray screen appeared. After many attempts to try and remove it, I just decided to just plug it. When I plug it back in the service took me to the stages of setting up a NEW! acct but I already have one. I call support 1-900-857-0110. The guy got my name, email and at the time I was log-in but after giving that info my acct was deleted. I got this thing from Evine.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When purchasing a streaming device you’d expect to be able to stream any service available to you, but not with Roku. They seem to discriminate against some streaming service providers. I used a Russian streaming service Tvteka and have been since 2014 on Roku but in the last year or so that channel has been continuously disappearing from the device and I had to use a Roku developer mode in order to reinstall Tvteka back into the system and it worked for a while until recently when Roku decided that they would lock out the developer mode from devices that have been used in the past to access it. And now I can’t stream Tvteka from Roku anymore. Next thing you know Netflix, Hulu or your other favorite streaming service is gone and you can’t do anything about it. Don’t waste your money on Roku, buy an Android streaming device like Amazon Firestick or one of many other options available and you would not regret it like I am now.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Had Roku HD few years ago; never ever worked! Customer service was useless! So sold on eBay; a friend has the Roku 1 (original Roku), and suggested I try it, so, bought Roku 1 for 2003 TV (older TV w/out HD), and it was perfect (for fraction of what new one costs)!! Got another Roku 1 (again for less than $10 on eBay), and it is perfect for another older TV (2001). The thing is: not using usb connection, so I'm thinking Roku works best with the (red, white, yellow) cable connections. Never had a problem with the 2 Roku 1's that I have, which I've had for almost a year now, and I've bought each USED on eBay! (We watch 3 local channels, about 10 cable channels, Netflix, and every single free channel offered on Roku... LOVE the option of being able to watch old horror movies!!

I noticed that some customers are reviewing the remotes as well. I had bought 2 remotes on eBay (1 for a backup, and another because a Roku 1 I bought on eBay didn't include remote). Never had problems with remote, and I have crippling arthritis! The ONLY GRIPE I have is that I have to constantly activate various channels on a weekly basis (and this is for both Roku 1's)!! This is annoying, to say the least! So time consuming and I do not have computer in same room as the 2 TVs... So WHY do I have to activate channels? Never have to re-activate Netflix or Crackle! On the whole, I love my Roku 1's!! Saves me $50 a month for extra boxes for cable. I can't wait to 'cut the cord' on another (older) TV!! But am mildly annoyed for having to constantly reactivate most channels on a bi-monthly basis!! Shouldn't have to do this once initial connection completed!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Awful customer service. I had to cancel my Roku twice and they continued to charge me for Showtime (for a year until I noticed it on my credit card). They said they could not credit back the $ because the account was closed. Seriously.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Roku is terrible. I advise no one to get a Roku Insignia TV because the TV is updated. It messes with the internet connection. My TV is connected but it says thats it's not. So do not waste your money. you will be highly upset because I am.

Original review: May 14, 2018

With so much competition out there in the media streaming box sector, ROKU should re-evaluate how they are treating their customers. I had HBO NOW on the Roku which I was charged for through my Roku account. I cancelled it by following the instructions provided by Roku. And it was completed. I was charged for it again today and all I received from Roku customer service was an apology, instead of the refund I wanted. I wonder how many people they have scammed like this with people using Roku cancelation process. Never again will I use the Roku. Already bought a better box.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Sling is cheaper than cable and since I still have to pay to have internet another $37.00 a month is a deal to watch live tv shows. The downside is at times Roku will boot me out but it is an easy fix just annoying at times. The Sling packages are not the best but I do have a few of my favorite channels livestreamed.

Original review: May 5, 2018

At least every other week the Roku remote just stops working and now the one of the two that I have will not pair any more. I have only had them less than a year. I bought a fire stick a few months after that and still have not had any problem and they are about the same cost. Will be getting rid of both of the Rokus that I have. They are just junk!

Original review: May 3, 2018

To the person that said hard earned money??? Seriously dude??? It's an entire $35 compared to the prices that Spectrum tends to jack up with their cheesy set-top boxes, this is awesome. I'm gonna give it a 4 star, because when you scroll through the menu, it lag spikes and jumps past the search icon, then I have to scroll back. I have really bad Osteoarthritis, and it hurts my fingers to push the Roku remote. The remote itself, is really small as well so this is why I give it 4 stars and not 5 stars. For people with finger problems, it can be a tad bit tricky to scroll through. I will be investing in a wireless keyboard for this issue. That said, I have my Roku set-up with Sling Tv, and Netflix and Hulu. This still adds up way cheaper than Spectrum. When I had Spectrum I was paying nearly $300 per month, with the packages that they jacked up on us.

Now I pay $89 per month, for Spectrum phone and internet 100 megs, and Sling tv, with my Roku. I REFUSE to go back. So, whomever said your hard earned money, you're being a tad bit dramatic. It's $25, without the competent cables, for an OLDER MODEL TV, if you have a NEW smart tv, you don't need the cables. You only need an HDMI cord, if you have an older model tv and want to turn it into a smart tv. Most NEWER smart tv's come with an HDMI cable anyway. You're good to go. If you have an older model tv, and want to turn that older model tv into a smart tv, then you need to have Roku Express and a Universal remote, which is like $10 at Wal-mart depending on which universal remote that you want. I prefer the bigger remotes, just get an ONN remote, and you're done.

A word of advice for Sling, Sling needs to make their remotes bigger, and stop the lag spikes jumping around when you change channels, then it will get a 5-star rating by most customers. I am extremely tech savvy, I used to do Tech support for a living for Verizon FIOS, and Frontier DSL, so I know it's NOT MY ISP. We have 100 megs package from Spectrum, their internet is extremely fast and can handle multiple devices connected. The Roku channels run really smooth even my Netflix, streams pretty smoothly with no lag spike issues, it's just the Roku menu that lags out. Other than that, my Roku is good. I will suggest this, PLEASE ROKU get Destination America Go, channel. Thanks!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

It came with all the apps included which was a real bonus. The only bad part of our Roku is that the volume doesn't go very high at all. It's almost like they want you to purchase a sound bar. Overall great tv.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Don't waste your time, effort or money. Cumbersome set up only for (free) access to old and unpopular shows, movies and dated news. Plan on spending a lot of time searching for anything worth watching and spending your hard earned money for shows included in basic cable for much less. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Bought the top of the line unit and was unable to get it to work. Got message "unable to connect. Contact customer support". Called and got someone from a third world country that told me my router had been hacked and Roku could not connect until I resolved the problem. He would connect me with a support person that would fix it for a small fee. Strange all my TVs work through my router and laptop, just not my new Roku.

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Roku Company Information

www.roku.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business