Roku

Compare Streaming Services and Devices

Research top Streaming Services and Devices recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Had my fire stick a few months now and now it asking for an activation code. Want to charge 80 to 100.00 to... saying my network is problem. They fix it for that amount. I already paid for my fire stick.

Called Sling service number to help me get access to my Sling account. Thinking it was a Sling employee I thought it would be okay to let him fix the problem by giving control to my laptop. When he wanted to charge me to fix the problem I felt was being scammed. I asked to have control of my computer back and hung up. Legitimate or not, I'll never know. Dropping my account with Sling and in search for something safer.

First off I have two Roku devices one tv one stick, I purchased another TCL tv from Walmart (Roku tv). When I got home I went to activate to no avail, so I looked up Roku website for activation. These people (foreigners) began to ask me e-mail address, password. All this crap. They say I cant activate my tv without paying a fee first (**) so I hung up. Do you know they called back twice telling me my tv won’t work without them activating it. This is their scam. # 813-642-7095. Hang up on them. Dont give no info. Go to roku.com. Register online. They do ask for a cc but not for activation fees just for movie purchases and channel upgrades. Needless to say my tv works fine. No activation fees from scamming Indian foreigners lying about being in USA. Make sure you use www.roku.com only!

DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT. IT IS A SCAM. We purchased our TCL 55" TV in September 2016. On August 30, 2017 a little round object size of a quarter showed up on the left bottom corner, as it turns out it is a light source leak. I went thru about 2 hours plus with representative to find this out, also often the sound will go out by itself and the only way the fix that is to unplug TV and plug it back in. The TV is still under warranty and their customer service department refuses to honor their warranty. They diagnosed this by me sending 3 pictures of the home page showing the round circle. They are saying that this problem MIGHT (and I stress might) be from us moving the TV around, we set up the TV in September 2016 and has not been moved since then.

So I wonder if I sent them a 3 pictures of me could they diagnose if I have any Health problems? We are senior citizens on fixed income and we bought this in good faith. We expect the companies to stand by their product. When a company will not STAND by their product it says they don't believe their product. We have 2 other TVs that are lasted over 3 years. Maybe they are selling disposal TVs that don't last thru their warranty. We will file our complaint with the BBB and anyone else who will listen.

I recently bought a Roku Express. With a surprise $100.00 activation fee? I had a Roku stick before. Didn't charge me anything. I was happy with it but lost my remote. So I upgraded to Roku express but to my surprise now they are charging 100 dollars to activate. What a shame when you can get Amazon Fire stick free. OMW to return my Roku. Wish they would let consumers know beforehand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

My parents bought me a Roku stick to use in my bedroom to stream Netflix and a couple other apps. I followed the instructions on the tv and when it came to putting in the code it came up invalid. I was given a message to contact their customer service. I then contacted the customer service line and was greeted by an angry Indian man who wanted me to get my laptop out and connect via that. I should have hung up then but I played along and got out my laptop. He then said my Network was compromised and he then transferred me to a Indian girl named Maria **.

It was an obvious fake name because she had a very thick Indian accent. She then remote logged into my computer and pulled up a black screen with encryption codes then wanted $250.00 to clean out my Network. By then I knew it was a scam and called her out on it. She then chewed me out and hung up. My laptop is now running very slow and I think some malware was put on it. To anyone out there reading this please be wary of this company. I will stick with my Smart Blu Ray player and PS4 to stream. Roku seems to be scamming customers.

I have a Roku TV and two Premier boxes. I have cut the cable cord because of Roku. ROKU does NOT charge an activation fee or support fee at all. However, there are scammers out there with sites directing you to call to pay for activation. Anybody paying for Roku support has been scammed. Roku activation is done at the Roku site and there you can skip entering a credit card when creating an account. This option is not available via mobile activation. Most Roku TVs are not as fast as the boxes since they don't use quad core processors but the newer TVs still work fine.

Roku is not cable. It's at the mercy of your internet environment and the conditions of the server you are watching. Many free servers get overloaded or simply are not available anymore. Paid services often offer better stable connections but not always. This is not a Roku issue but between you and the services you are accessing. I use a 40mbps w/802.11ac download and have no problems streaming HD on two devices at once while using mobiles at the same time. A good router with 802.11ac is recommended. 802.11ac only works on the 5 GHz band so use that for Roku to get the speed. 2.4 GHz is slower and should only be used if the 5 GHz band signal is not strong enough.

The Rokus I use are IF remotes and don't have the drop off that some claim with the wifi remotes. Also they are 802.11ac speeds which are much faster than N speeds. The only down fall is that the boxes will keep streaming if the TV is off and you are watching live TV or a continuous play option. To stop this you must return to home screen where it'll go to sleep mode after awhile or unplug the Roku box. I have the box plugged into a smart power bar so when the TV is powered off it shuts power off to the box. (Make sure the smart power bar supports low power devices as many don't.)

I mostly watch Roku private channels that are not searchable on the Roku site. A Google search will find you many of these channels. So other than no sleep option on the Roku boxes I am quite pleased. These are computers that get directed to servers to watch. It is internet TV and most problems are the servers you are trying to access, poor wifi or your home internet. And again, I don't want to see people get scammed so if somebody says they represent Roku and want to charge you an activation fee or tech fee then walk away. They are NOT Roku representatives.

I bought a Roku Express box and proceeded to set it up. The instructions and box states that it would automatically come on when it updates. This is not true. It instructed me to call the 1-800 number and pay a fee from $80 up to $200 to activate it which is not disclosed in the instructions or on the outside box. I called customer service and was hung up on five times. I will be returning this product back to Walmart for my money.

I have never bought a TV that required an activation fee. I am very displeased that I have to return the TV that I have been saving my pennies for. I cannot afford the activation fee (69.95). I feel like Wal-Mart and TLC Roku have conspired to hold customers up in this extortion process. I am alarmed that Americans allow Big Business to operate at such a profound dishonest level, no one told me that my new TV was going to require an activation fee. I assume that is why the electronics department at Walmart is always so understaffed. So that Customers cannot ask questions. I also do not understand how electric and gas companies of New Mexico are charging 2.00 if you pay with a debit card. Car companies 5.00. What the heck... I am feeling fee-ed to death... THANK YOU.

I have had recurring problems with my Roku stick freezing. Customer support directs me to Just Answer. First they want to charge me $5, Okay. Then, after I type my question, they want to charge me 598 pesos (I live in Mexico). But I NEVER get an answer. What I do get is directed back to the page for my account information. By this time I'm frustrated, and resubmit my information. Then my bank calls me to verify that I've just authorized 4 payments to Just Answer. And I STILL DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER! And where do they got off charging 598 pesos -- or any money at all --to solve a technical problem with THEIR streaming stick?

I have a paid subscription to a channel that will not load on my Roku. After spending 3 days searching the online customer support page no solution was listed on their site. I finally found a phone number and was told by a recording that no support is available for any device purchased before 2015. Mine was purchased in 2014, so basically if you have a device older than 2 years and you have an issue, you need to throw it away. There is no email address listed, no phone number listed. I had to do a Google search to find that, and then it was a recording that is also a dead end. The customer support at Roku is nonexistent so if you're happy with that go ahead and buy a Roku, otherwise go with something else.

I have been using Roku boxes for years. I get a new one and it wants me to call a number to activitate. Have never had to do this before. I called 877-212-2501 then **, one wanted 100.00 to activate the other wanted 50.00. This is a scam. Roku products should be ashamed... the people on the line are from some other country... I called 4 times and twice the foreigner hung up on me. He said I am having network problems... no I'm not. My other Roku is working. Even when I change TVs. I will be contacting the BBB on this company. I hope no one else buys a Roku. Stick with Apple. How dare them hang up on me and ask for money. Do they not realize this is the United States of America. They have not heard the last of me.

When I arrived home from Wal-mart I was excited because I was about to order sling TV. The setup went well until the account required info stops you from activating this device. I call customer service. The man who answered has a terrible accent and was rude and kept cutting me off. $50.00 dollars to activate for a year and $100 to activate for a lifetime. I said that I already own this device and that I only plan on using it for when I subscribe to Sling tv. He just kept asking to process a payment from my debit card. So after about 5 more times of this nonsense I dog cussed him, slap out.

I'm waiting on my wife to return from the doctor and I'm going straight to walmart to get a refund. I will say that you cannot go wrong with the Amazon Fire TV stick with the right apps installed. I would still like to somehow subscribe to Sling tv. Does anyone know how to go about doing this without the use of this rip off Roku device? Oh and I'm so thankful that I read all the complaints on here BEFORE I submitted my debit card info.

I have the Roku 3, and I have only had it for about 4 months and since I have had it, it freezes up all the time, Netflix especially and when it freezes up it restarts itself or I have to do it, but my biggest issue is, the remote. Every day I have to take out the batteries and put them back in because it will stop working and freeze. It has been doing that since I got it. I am getting sick and tired of it, then they want be to spend $30.00 on a remote. They should replace it for free!

Purchased my Roku over 2 years ago. Started using cable again and put it in a box. I decided to use it in my basement and could not set it up so Tried to use Customer service. They tried to scam me with a set up fee. I have to tell you the last thing I want to do is give my personal info to a rude foreigner. They hung up on me. Before the hang up though I promised some feedback... so here it goes... Don't bother buying a Roku because The customer service is completely non existent. Use an older gaming system like a Wii to get your Netflix. Shame on you Roku!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am one of the earliest customers of Roku, having previously bought two devices - a box and then updated to a newer stick (purple). Bought a black stick planning on retiring the purple one to get the latest features. Could not authorize the black stick and called the indicated number. Was told that authorizing a 3rd device would cost me and additional $90 over the stick price of $40. I requested that the earlier devices be deauthorized and the black one added. Was told: "No, no, you don't understand. A third authorization costs $90, you can't take anything off the account." I returned the black stick and bought a second Apple TV - they don't pull that crap.

I have been using Roku for many months and besides the constant reboot that is required their customer service is awful. I have been trying for days to re-subscribe to HBO Now and the system tells me the address on file is invalid. This is the same address they bill me every month. After an hour of better jumping thru all the hoops they set up for me it still will not work. Now I am told they will contact me in 48 hours with an email support ticket. What does that mean? What about my address? Customer service has failed to help me, but very successful at passing me off to the next person who also fails to fix the issue. Customer support should be easy to contact. Their online text help is slow and that is only if you get someone. The phone support puts you into a never ending loop that only takes you to a dead end. Apple TV is beginning to look very inviting again.

I purchased a Roku + device, tried to call customer support, reached someone in another country who was rude and would not transfer me to the U.S., only gave me a number to call. I thought that was illegal. I thought they had to transfer you if you requested, I could be mistaken. I called the number they gave me. All I got was automated responses to check their website that all the answers were there. This was the automated response no matter which options I selected. I don't know how this company is still in business. I will post my personal opinion regarding this company on every social media available to warn others of how terrible this company is. That includes Facebook, Nextdoor, Instagram, Twitter, and yes even Myspace, there may be 1 or 2 people left using that site.:)

Setting up the device went well up until the "Activation" part. The activation code activated an error msg & a number to call. The party answering sounded very much Indian and difficult to understand but the gist of the conversation was I would need to pay an activation fee of approx. $15 and would be billed monthly about the same (none of this was disclosed with the product). I only had to give my credit card info. I would not advise to do that. I returned the product to Best Buy. Sad part, I could not give this company less than one star. Be ye warned.

If I could. With this TCL Roku television, you will have to go thru so many steps to turn your Netflix on, weekly, now it has become daily... You will begin to question every aspect of your internet connection. After 5-15 steps, the next day you will still need to attempt to follow the same steps. Solution: Ultimately, I end up watching Netflix on my iPad, iPhone, (small screens). Have followed various online suggestions, none of which are permanent fixes. Since all of my other devices connect immediately and play IMMEDIATELY with ONE press to the screen, it has to be the TCL/ ROKU device that doesn't work. Still I spent money on a repeater, a new router, batteries.

What's sad is that I purchased more than one of these "Smart TV's" Do NOT "save" money on this brand. It's enough to drive me to wonder: why are they being sabotaged by an employee? Competitor? Or they just poor designers? :-( Daily TV/Internet misery awaits you if you buy this product. I have never had this experience, so I did not keep the receipts for these products since they appeared to work at first. Now I'm stuck and will have to shop for another brand. I don't have the heart to sell these 4g screens to anyone else. SAD.

Attempted to place an order today through the Roku website. Received a message that the order could not be processed. Tried again. Got the same message. My credit charge has now been charged twice. There is absolute NO WAY to contact Roku customer support to get this resolved.

My husband and I paid for two months of Sling service and received the Roku Express. When our two months was over we canceled the service. (We are new to streaming.) The Roku they sent us stopped working the next day. By federal law it's a crime to disrupt a device that you don't own. There was nothing in the fine print that said the Roku would only work as long as we had Sling. I have contacted Roku, my internet provider, and Sling. The first two did their best to fix the problem, Sling told me that unless I wanted to open another account they could NOT help to fix the problem. I will be contacting my attorney and FCC.

I was use MachTV from last year. Every month I have to be calling for the new code. Now in the last 2 months I been pay for nothing, everything I request at code don't work. They are stealing people money. Last month they say that they having at problems with the system. I ask to give me my money back, they refused. Ok they fix the problem I pay again into. Now I haven't be able to watch movies. When I send an email, this is the only way we can get touch with them. The excuse is that they need it at code from my tv. I didn't know that, they are sarcastic, I give them zero. They getting rich because use. Somebody have to stop this people soon.

I bought Roku Premier + because It came with earphones. I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb people. Earphone is plugged into the remote, but it does not work most of the time. I have to keep taking out the batteries, it works for a minute then the link gets cut off. Then you have the actual box that turns off all by itself and cuts off whatever I'm watching. $96 down the toilet.

This is NOT a review of the Roku box, but rather my experience with the Sling App ordered through Roku. Do NOT, under any circumstance, sign up for ANY apps using Roku. Roku will become the billing agent, but trying to cancel or change services with the app never gets through to the app company. I signed up for the Sling 7-day free trial, using the Roku box. When I canceled the Sling trial, after 6 days, online at Sling, it never went through. My account remained open, and I was charged for a month of service. Sling had NO record of the cancellation. Make sure you deal directly with the app company, and preferably by phone. If over the internet, print out any changes of cancellations!

Purchased Roku Express from the website said it will support older TV, wrong. Go back to the website I think I made the wrong choice, so I make another. Wrong again, researched the web and found a support number. Call the number 816-272-8106, go through the prompts. No support for either model I purchased, go through the prompts again and use no model number. I get support, he tells me either model doesn't work with my TV. Need to buy xyz type. No Thanks. I have to return both of these now. Found on the web a lot of people complaining about compatibility. Roku's website should have a place to put the model of your TV in and recommend their products to match, not a guessing game. I purchased through Amazon and will deal with them on returning.

The installation is really easy. All you need is a standard HDMI cable... other than that, everything about this sucks. If you want to watch 95% of the programs available thru this device, you have to either enter a code on a website (on your computer, phone, or tablet... any device that has internet access), sign up for a free trial, pay a fee, or the program/channel isn't available in general... you could search for it, and would come up but then it will not play. There may be one episode of your favorite show that is available for free, but that's it, and that includes very basic cable network programs. After a few days of searching, I did find a few weird, random channels, but then I realized they were just streaming channels or programs like podcasts, that are available online. In general, not worth the aggravation.

I stumbled upon the poor reviews of Roku products and want to relate my experience with Roku's products. Over the last 7 years I have had the Roku 1, 2, 3 & Express. Still use the 2, 3 & most recently the Express. I have never had problems with their standalone products other than wireless connection issues which I remedied with very little troubleshooting. I have recommended and helped install units for several friends. Wireless connection issues have been the only problem. The solution has always been better placement of Wi-Fi routers or upgrading said routers to better more capable ones due to age or to circumvent location placement or multi-user conflicts in the Wi-Fi network. Roku products have always worked and worked well. I think that a lot of the people complaining are having connectivity issues due to their internet equipment, not the Roku itself.

Bought 4 Roku's and they worked for a couple of weeks and then started retrieving and downloading more than watching movie. Called Roku and got a 3rd party vendor in India who said I need to pay an activation fee 6 months after I bought them. I told them what they could do with their Rokus and where to put them. I finally found a Roku office with a US number and they said this is B.S. Roku told me that they don't ask for an activation fee other than the initial 11.99. They are located in Los Gatos, CA. And the address and numbers are 408*556-90040, 408*963-6703, 888*600*7658, 408*559*9391 with the 6703 number being where I got my satisfaction. Good luck.

I rented some movies and TV shows on Fandango (but billing goes through Roku). When I would rent a show it could not go through so try again later. When I tried again it went through with no problem. I did not think anything about it until one day I got online banking. When I looked at my bank statements I noticed I was being doubled billed for those shows that made me try twice to get. I E-Mailed Roku and told them about it and after tons of E-Mailing them and almost two months later they finally started to reimburse me for my purchases (up to $47.00 right now and not done yet). Not once have I heard an apology nor has Roku tried to help fix the problem. I am afraid to rent any more shows (and there are a lot I would like to watch) for fear of being double billed again.

Expert Review

Jonathan TroutConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Jonathan Trout believes having access to free, comprehensive information on products and businesses is vital to making smart purchasing decisions. He focuses his efforts on researching and reviewing multiple brands across a variety of industries, with the goal of writing unbiased buyers guides to help inform consumers on impending purchases.    More about Jonathan→

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.
  • Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.
  • Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.
  • Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.
  • Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.
  • Best for non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Compare Streaming Services and Devices