Roku

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

While setting up a new Roku streaming stick (not my first) I was directed to call a number (877-212-2501) to fix a problem. A gentleman I could barely understand told me I needed to open a new account and the fee was $100. If I would not pay I was told I should return the Roku device. Not sure if this is a scam from a third party or if Roku is trying to rip off customers. I went back to the Roku website, got a new activation code, and was able to set up the stick without paying anything. Not feeling good about Roku in general. BEWARE!

I purchased a Roku stick from Amazon and within a week it virtually stopped responding to the remote 80% of the time, there is no way of turning it off so if you leave it on there is no way of accessing it again. I sent it back and got a new one but the new one was even worse, that starting freezing up instantly. So I got onto Roku who said they would send me a new one if I gave them my address and serial numbers, that was 2 weeks ago and I heard nothing. Now after calling them in Delhi, India as that is the only people you can talk to, according to them there are NO Americans you can talk to! They now tell me I have to return the old one before they will send me a new one, at MY expense!!! AVOID AT ALL COST, get a fire stick.

I purchased my first Roku 1 streaming device which only lasted about a year with little use. My second Roku was a Roku Express which I purchased around December 7, 2016 and was offered a two month trial with CBS, Hulu and Showtime. I was not able to access Showtime or CBS because it was not an available option when I tried setting it up a one week trial was the only option and Hulu was the only one I was able to access. Around January 10, 2017 my Roku Express stopped working properly. When I clicked on the icon to open the app I wanted to access it showed all my apps on the main menu screen but when I clicked on any of the apps no matter which one I clicked on there was no picture only a gray screen and audio.

I am very disgusted and will never buy any Roku products ever again. I feel ripped off. I made several calls to their customer service and there were long hold times to reach a rep who was in India and unable to communicate in English. Extremely poor customer service and equipment very undependable. I received several emails also requesting I answer a survey regarding product satisfaction and the funny thing is they returned it to me with the response saying it was moderated and they cannot publish it. No apology for my bad experiences or anything.

I bought a Roku Express from Sam's Club tonight. I could not get it to work - I entered the code I was supposed to enter and on the screen came the request to set up an account. I did it and entered the activation code as I should. Error 001 came up and I had to talk to Jennifer, a support person. She wanted control of my computer because something with the settings is wrong. I gave her permission - biggest mistake I could make! I was contacted by a guy from no one knows where with a request for a payment of $99 to correct the issue. I refused and that's it. No service. I tried to call the company - no one answer except for automated service. Try and call the 1-888 number - no help! Here is how the notepad looks - they wasted hours of my time and tomorrow I'll give the rubbish back to SAM's.

Ok I just spent 5 hours on the phone with supervisors from India might have taken 10 minutes. If you need service you might want to pack a lunch if ever had to call for support and you get India. You know what I mean. I don't speak India and they don't English. 5 hours to get resolve. I won't buy from this company. I the future frustrating at the least.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

I had this Haier 49in TV given to me as a gift brand new the beginning of 2016 Jan. I believe anyway during a move the screen was damaged and picture was not able to see so I contacted Haier asking for the part number and cost. They directed me to a local company. That company told me it would cost more than the TV is worth to fix so I contacted Haier again asking for part number so I can order it and have a family friend who works with electronics replace for me. Haier could not give me the part number said they didn't know it. Tried to refer me back to local shop again. All communication was done thru email with Haier. I replied to Haier I am not going thru shop to have fixed.

They sent me to their parts department. That department then informs me that the part I need is discontinued. I asked "well then how am I to fix this TV? Are other brands interchangeable etc? They said no so I contacted Haier again asked what am I to do since the part is discontinued and this TV isn't even 7 months old from when it was purchased. They still could not give me the part number after I repeatedly asked so I called the local shop and asked what the part number was I needed which the man told me call was less than 2 min. Again I asked Haier what options I have since they no longer have the part I need and I pretty much told them if I buy their TVs when I walk out the store with it I should just find the nearest dumpster and throw it away since that was my only option. They then told me to contact local shop again and they would assist in locating the part. I asked "how is that possible if you no longer offer the part?" TV still is not fixed.

I bought the Roku 3 directly from Roku. After two months, it stopped loading updates so all the channels stopped working. Also, the "streaming channels" link stopped working, so I can't even reload the channels after deleting them. I called Roku and got somebody in the Philippines who had me unplug it a few times and when that didn't work, said "Don't worry, we're going to fix it, we'll let you know when it's fixed". Never heard from them again. I contacted them by email next, and they sent me an email with a link that said "click here to get started" - but the link is broken and won't open. I emailed them back telling them that, but got no response.

So I call them again (it's now been weeks since I first contacted them) and get the Philippines again, and this time the guy has such a thick accent that I can't understand anything at all that he's saying. After 20 frustrating minutes of asking him to repeat himself, I hang up. So I have a new Roku that won't work and cannot reach anyone at the company who can speak English or will do anything about it. DON'T BUY ROKU, IT'S A RIPOFF.

Streaming stick Model 3600 - Purchased this streaming stick to use with a Slingbox app. Downloaded this app to my TV from the Roku store. Could not stream to app. Spent 3.5 hours on the phone over several days with Roku Tec. service, going through many steps (rebooting, reloading, etc). Roku assigned me a case number for the problem to be reviewed by a committee. After one week, no response. Called and told them I wanted to return this device because it was obviously not working and guaranteed. Spend another 45 minutes on the phone before they would give me an address to return the device. Very poor service.

If you purchase a channel's membership, have a backup device to watch it. I've been unable to log into the channel I purchased for over a month. Tech support is quick to respond, and send you the typical form letter response of, "how sorry they are you're having difficulties". But don't ask a specific question... That confuses the hell out of them. They will also feed you the line about how hard they're working on the situation, because they know how frustrated you must be. Pick any other option you can find for streaming TV. Don't fall for their crap.

What a scam. Bought a Roku stick on 1/02/17 was suppose to be here in 3 to 7 days. Free Hulu, Showtime and CBS streaming was added if activated by 1/14/17. It didn't arrive until 1/14/17 then when I went to activate it, it wouldn't activate with my wireless code. I have AT&T and every laptop and wireless device in my home works. My modem even has an auto connect to all wireless devices. I called Roku cust service and they took over my laptop and the guy showed me some things on one of the laptops labeled Microsoft closed and told me I had security issues. Told me he had to talk to his boss on how to help me. Came back trying to sell me some security system for $200 a month. When I told him every wireless device works and he was running a scam because every laptop would have different information and the one laptop had nothing to do with the router. Asked him if he sold aluminum siding in the past.

I just feel sorry for the people that fell for this thinking they had to do it today to get something free. HULU is offering a free promo with or without the Roku stick. It doesn't end today.. Customer service was just a salesperson trying to sell me something I don't need. If all my wireless devices work with my modem this device should. This company is criminal and trying to scam people out of money to buy some security device they don't need. Shame on them.

IF I COULD GIVE 0 STARS I WOULD. My goodness, this is absolutely the WORST TV possible. I purchased this TV on Black Friday at Walmart, I guess my first mistake. However, I was told by a friend that it was a good TV, and there was not that big of a discount from regular pricing so I figured the TV would be decent (Black Friday deal $130, normal price $169). On the contrary, problems started right after opening the box.

First, the program was not recognizing my expensive, top speed, and GB internet. When I was finally able to connect after hours of trouble there was no problem, I was pretty excited to have such a "great, smart TV." However, the next day, the TV was literally randomly shutting off and restarting approximately every 30 minutes. I was confused, and googled all possible scenarios. I literally changed all settings to attempt to stop the turn-offs, such as stopping automatic update systems, stopping screen saver settings, and more. I also had the wireless box right next to the TV and upon their "googling TCL advice" I would move my wireless box an inches or more to try and reconcile such an issue to no avail. One will literally be in the middle of a program and this TV will shut off for no reason! I have literally googled every possible issue that could be experienced with this TV and tried to fix it on my accord.

I have emailed the company too complaining of my issues and have not received ONE email back (despite their adamant, helpful Customer Service). I emailed weeks ago and haven't heard a peep. Finally, when at the end of my wits after not wanting to go through the hassle of returning, explaining, possibly blamed, I could not take it anymore and decided there was no choice. I literally did everything right. Bought the product, researched how to fix it, did everything possible to do so, such as moved box, contacted internet service provider, rebooted all tech processes within that time, connected repeatedly sources that could be correct, contacted company without any assistance or feedback (despite multiple attempts), and yet nothing changed. TV TURNS OUT ALL THE TIME!

This is the worst TV ever, and when I finally decided to return it, I grabbed it roughly from the top because the cord was stuck and the entire screen cracked. So now I am out $130 plus dollars. WHAT A WASTE! My only hope is that someone will read this and realize it is not worth the effort!! Saving a few bucks and seeming to think this is a great buy is SOOOO not worth it. I was mislead. I am telling you all from the bottom of my heart, do not buy this CHINA-MADE CRAP. This is probably one of the worst purchases of my life, not due to money but because of the headache it has caused without any resolution. SUCH A SCAM!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

I purchased a TCL Roku TV from Target on 06/29/2016. TV picture blew out on 01/02/2017. TV gets sound, screen stays black. Customer service line is a joke. First they attempted to "troubleshoot" and then transferred to a number that rang for five minutes with no answer. Don't waste your money on this brand or on Roku services. In the process of attempting to obtain a refund or replacement, they are not helpful.

Nice TV for the price... or so you think! This is a SCAM sold as a TV. I can't honestly believe that Best Buy is aware that a TV they sell requires customers to provide their credit card (in case they decide to purchase something online) BEFORE the TV can be used. And there is a FEE for activating the TV. Best Buy has this TV made specifically for them. Consumer beware!!!

If Best Buy is aware of this FEE and activation issue, they certainly don't tell you about it. And there are no notices on the box... warning you upfront that activation and fee is required. SO, I don't know how many of you feel about providing your credit card to be held in a database, JUST IN CASE you buy something (anyone thinking of all the hacks going on right now, feel secure...?) BUT ain't NO WAY I am providing my CC info. Short story: I took it back and got a refund.

The saving grace here is that BEST BUY provided me an immediate refund. The customer service rep (name of TIM) was great! Absolutely recognized what a fiasco (can't say CF) this TV was and provide me a No Hassle refund. If Best Buy is smart they will give TIM a raise and stop selling these SCAM TV's. TIM gets 5 STARS. Best Buy gets 3 stars. The ROKU TV gets - 1 Star.

We purchased a 55 in Roku Dec. 23, 2015. In the 2ND week of October 2016; the T.V suddenly went black only producing sound. Upon calling Hitachi and going through the troubleshooting with no results they advised us that our claim would be reviewed and we would be contacted by a contractor to schedule to come out and diagnose our t.v. and fix our t.v. or they would issue a refund check. The man on the phone suggested that most people go out and buy a new TV and get reimbursed.

About 2 weeks went by when we finally received not a call but an email back telling us to take pictures of the t.v when it's turned on, with the blue and red lights showing. We were instructed to email these pictures. We were then informed by email to remove the serial number and send it in via FedEx with the receipt and a refund check would be sent out by the end of the next week. Hitachi received the FedEx package on Nov. 4, 2016. In the middle of November we called to check the status of our refund check as we did not feel comfortable spending bill money on a T.V.; instead we were waiting for the check. This customer service agent told us it will be another 3-6 weeks before we can expect our refund check.

Today is December 12, 2016 and we are still without a t.v. and a refund check. However when I called them today the customer service lady told me it was mailed out on Dec. 9, 2016 and I should expect the check somewhere between now and December 31, 2016. We will never NEVER buy Hitachi products ever again. We are totally disgusted at how long it took to replace their faulty product. Not too mention I'm only getting reimbursed for the before tax amount so that when I purchase another t.v. we will have to fork over another $40-50.00 in taxes. They have horrible response times in reference to their warranty.

Where do I begin? This TV manufacturer TCL apparently has a relationship with ROKU TV to gauge market share of streaming applications craze. Well it appears ROKU TV as a external device is an inadequate comparison to Google's Chromecast or Apple TV. Soooo they've (ROKU TV) came up with a brilliant idea: let's team up with a TV manufacturer (TCL) to sell our service platform ROKU TV (bundled programs/software apps) another way. Because we absolutely suck at our external devices, I.e. ROKU stick 1,2,3,4 + TV cable box. Anyway here's how they tried to hustle scam me.

I purchased 3 40" TVs at $259 each within 30 days of each other from COSTCO. The first tv up and running. No problem. Have access to smart apps using previously set up accts. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Here's where it got tricky. The next 2 TVs are same model/brand/size/packaging ad/markers on the box. Nowhere does it say ROKU TV activation/account required. However, the "let's get started" Activation required $80/tv registration of personal data w/ CC number & yes to the End User Lic. Agreement. Which states... This is Roku's platform of streaming applications subject to change or upgrade at ROKU TV's discretion. WTF!

Contacted ROKU's cust. svc. "Yes ma'am we require an activation fee of $80 to grant access to the streaming channels, you'll have access to over 30,000 channels, except Lifetime." I completely lost it! Are you implying because I'm female this should appeal to me? Why on God's green earth would I ever need 30k channels? In rid of bundled programming that's out of my control (DirecTV). I'm not giving my CC number, only to b notified of a hack/breach. NO THANKS!

I asked him. His reply "Well, you cannot access the smart applications w/out paying the activation fee." This is ** (angry go to word) because I'm mortified! ROKU TV is a scam, if you're thinking of purchasing any brand w/ ROKU TV featured or external device... Forget about it! Oh, they hung up on me. Tried to call back, assumed my # was on a angry people list. No Answer! Contacted TCL, cust. Svc. Suggest bypassing activation, emails the instructions. NO! Didn't work. Seemed clueless that the charge of activation even exist! SMH. Contacted Costco - equally unaware of a Activation Fee. Fortunately, they've agreed to refund $$ on all 3. I'm not certain what to expect from ROKU, I suspect another gimmick to get $$ will come as a software upgrade. So all 3 are going back!

So, moral of this retail nightmare! If the brand packaging DOES NOT say ROKU TV subscription/Activation required (on the box)! You have the right to return for a refund, even if outside of typical 30-90 day warranty. Because, by my account ROKU TV arbitrarily decided to steal from consumers w/out warning. Surely, no one would buy, if activation fee was clearly marked on product!

I have a Roku 3. It's been 15 months since I acquired the device. Although the device is still functioning, the remote has stopped working. I tried the battery change etc. but it is a dead remote. I tried to buy a replacement, as the warranty was for one year only. Roku wanted 29.99 for a replacement, but they were "Out of Stock." This remote should not have stopped working after such a short time. I am very disappointed in this product. After much internet searching, I was able to purchase a new remote, although with less functions on Ebay for 6.76. I then discovered that I could download the original remote, with all the function keys on my iPhone for free. It works like a charm so far. I wrote this review because I am not happy with the short lifetime of the Roku remote, and to advise others with this problem of some solutions I have discovered.

Roku is running a scam. They sell a streaming device to you without telling you that it will not work unless you pay them $ 99 to activate it! Really? Who needs to do that when you can go purchase another brand and not pay to get the product to work? Shameful.

Very bad product. Hasn't been a year and it's shot. With a ridiculous dispute they now want me to pay shipping both ways to get a new one. They're also asking to return an A/V cable which was not included and not needed to install the device. There is no outlet to even plug in that cable. Suggestion!! Don't buy it.

My Roku 4 is only 6 months old (bought at Sam's Club). When streaming movies, the Roku 4 becomes over-heated (hot to the touch). Then, the sound drops off, picture starts freezing, then finally quits playing at all. I disconnect it, put the box in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool it down, then it starts working again. Maybe elevating it to allow air to circulate under the unit will help. But, Roku really failed in designing this device. If you're looking to purchase, get another brand.

So I call and say, had netflix before Roku. Roku comes with netflix so I transfer account to Roku. Now netflix doesn't want to work for the Roku!!! Tech. Says that a NETFLIX problem. No, No. My stuff worked just fine without your small device. You are passing the buck!!! Hey americans. I could write a book on how the consumer is, In my opinion **. Let's Talk, Walmart customer help. Bought 2 RCA'S laptops. Broke down 3 weeks to a month. Both of them??? Rca made me pay to send their broke crap back, And you cannot have cash back! I have to wait cust. A lot more. Home depot 1800.00 ** $$? Once you have let your money out of your hand nothing. It is a nightmare to get it back!! If YOU get it back... EVEN WITH ALL CARD, CASH AND BANK PROOFS. THEY HAVE MY MONEYS AND I. A NIGHTMARE!!!

Tried to put Roku replacement box on our tv. When installing we were told could not be done by ourselves and had to talk to a tech. Waited 35 minutes for tech. Then I was told Roku could not be put on my tv through my computer because it has had hackers trying to use my network connection. They would install a network security program and clean my computer for $149.99 then they could activate my Roku. I refused and the tech left me with his name and number if I wanted to use his services. Is this a scam?

The people at ROKU are fast to sell you a model and then keep on trying to upsell you instead of having a good product to begin with. My Roku 1 was barely used and after setting it up only 2 times the unit would not power up. No solution, no recommendation just a "sorry it is out of warranty." NEVER will I BUY or try a ROKU PRODUCT AGAIN. Buying a CHROMECAST.

Prior to purchasing the streaming stick, I connected with a CSR chat line to inquire if the A/C plug would work with 220 V current because I would be buying it for a friend in a foreign country (Model 3600R, Streaming Stick). He assured me that "it will absolutely work on 120 V or 220 V." Based on this confirmation, I ordered the product which arrived today from Amazon. The outlet plug clearly states 120 V. Now I have to return the product and inform my friend that he must do without! I am soooo pissed off! Why can't Roku set up quality customer service to back up their products? It wouldn't have taken an Einstein to answer such a basic product inquiry. I am DONE with Roku forever and I will share my experience with my friends and family.

I used the chat tech support to report that my Roku 4 got so hot that it ruined the furniture it was sitting on and won't stream. It took over an hour. The support is clearly outsourced and the tech offered minimal assistance. They did get me a return authorization but it looks like I have to pay the shipping to ship my toasted device back. They will do nothing for my furniture. Additionally, I have 3 other Roku devices that I wanted to know if there were any known issues with them but the support agent wasn't able to understand what I was asking for. I've lost confidence in the product and company.

I got ones old first roku device use for Netflix. Account has been working ok for years, but after update, reset unit and is asking for new activation. Issue code 001. Tried everything before called cust. Serv. State can't help me because the unit is too old and they do not have any info to provide. Buy a new ones. What!!! Very disappointed. I don't normally add reviews but this maybe help someone's looking to buy a new roku device.

Cable provider - I really don't see anything special about this if you're unable to utilize the premium channels. If your cable provider is not listed you Have To Pay The Subscribe fee. It's not worth the money..

Your instructions are pathetic. I am technically advanced. You give 3 pictures of diagrams which may work. Really? Try this or this? The most important thing you left out. Both my smart phone and tablet say what's the device's ip address? Well where is it? You designed the software. I paid 50 bucks to use your product and enjoy my experience. You know what I meant to do? Take out my 12 gauge and show your device who's boss. Absolutely pathetic product.

The USB cable that plugs into the Roku stick had become damaged, so I decided to contact Roku for a replacement. I assumed, since it was such a minor thing, there would be no problem in getting a free one. So, after over an hour of searching their support pages for the right information, I defaulted and just called their support line. The support line was just as worthless, with no option for warranty replacement or hardware issues. I eventually just went for "account issues." After waiting for several more minutes, I was finally connected to some chick in India who barely understood English. I tried to explain the issue in simplest terms... "Hey, I need a replacement USB cable for my streaming stick." "Oh, you need a new HDMI cable?" "No, I need a USB cable." "Oh."

It took her a couple of minutes to google what a USB cable was. "So you are saying you need a new power adapter yes?" "No, I'm saying I need a USB cable. You know, the only one with the stick?" Eventually, she figured out what I was talking about. And despite being within the warranty period, she tried to sell me a retarded extended warranty, and then told me if I didn't buy it, and called them again, they'd charge me. I told them, "Hey, that's ridiculous, I just need a 40 cent USB cable!" She then continued to repeat the sales pitch about the warranty repeatedly, until I lost all patience and hung up. I couldn't believe my ears. Finally I gave in and just bought an aftermarket USB cable on eBay for $4. I really do like their hardware, because it is genuinely quite good. But if anything, anything at all goes wrong, Roku will try its absolute best to bleed you dry.

I have Roku 1 and if I'm watching tv it will load the page after watching a show for a short time. Sometimes the page freezes and I have to go back and put it on another channel, then go back to what I was watching. Some commercials are so quiet you cant hear them, then you turn the tv up and eventually the volume will blast. But most of the time it just stops working and I have to turn the tv off and start over. I dont have trouble watching netflix, just tv. I dont bother calling and complaining, and by the looks of the complaints, I dont need to bother. I set it up myself and didnt have to call anyone, so I didnt get ripped off by a set up fee. I would not recommend buying Roku.

Just bought a ROKU TV from Walmart. In order watch it, you have to get it activated. In order to get it activated, you have to pay a "one time activation fee" of $100.00! This is supposed to provide you with a "life time of premium channels: NETFLIX, Amazon, HBO, etc." According to the ROKU representative, it is a deal of a lifetime. Yeah, I'll just bet! What a scam! Needless to say this is going back to the store ASAP!

Roku Company Profile