Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

Roku Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: June 3, 2020

Generally, I really like ROKU and am very happy with the quality and value. Did have a problem with their system that neither they or HBO could resolve. Was streaming HBO, and it just stopped streaming; an unresolvable glitch with the payment gateway. At the time, payment was made separately through HBO’s website, but ROKU wasn’t getting the payment—a big disconnect.

Called and emailed customer service for both ROKU and HBO. Luckily, as an option, streamed HBO through Amazon Prime, though the quality is much better directly from the HBO Now app. About three or four years have passed. ROKU seems to have resolved it by adding a ROKU payment gateway directly on the ROKU platform, so no having to pay HBO separately on their website. ROKU is a very nice service. Have been streaming since 2010.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I tried this service (DIRECTV NOW) because I can't have a dish on my condo. At&t sold me the idea, and told me what I needed, but once I got everything I was on my own. I spent 3 days trying to get the service, ended up with a scammer online, and had them log into my PC and attempted to copy everything including my bank info. When I called at&t for assistance, they said, "we don't have anything to do with that". As soon as I was able to get back to Uverse, I cancelled. I do have Amazon Prime, and because I purchased a Roku, I enjoy their different series.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Roku is very convenient because you can put all of your streaming apps into one such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney and HBO. You can have all of those on this one device Roku. That's the good thing. There are other apps that are not that great and there's some apps that you have to pay for service actually. There's some apps that you have to have cable in order to watch shows. If you don't have cable then you can't watch the shows and that's a bummer because I don't have cable but Hulu is great, Netflix is great and I can watch them all on the Roku device and I have the Roku streaming remote.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I’ve been using Roku products for about 9 years. It was to save money on my cable and internet bill. I work full time and was rarely home. My youngest son only watched a few shows so to me it was a win win. The Roku is faster now and more up to date with the current technologies that are out there. It even connects to Bluetooth so I can watch tv without disturbing anyone. The prices are excellent so for me this was an excellent choice in value and in keeping up with the times. I love it and I can’t say enough good things about it. Thank you Roku.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Roku has enough free content for the whole family to enjoy endlessly. I only watch a few hours a day and limit the kids to a few hours but I spend a lot of time just browsing through the catalog. There are a few series I've gotten into too. I'm not sure who said there is an activation fee because I didn't submit a credit card number or anything. Connecting to WiFi was practically automatic. My access has been limited to the most basic level of service and I'm thrilled with it. There are ads and there are clickable commercials. Any ads will annoy me but I do not think they are overdone. This is not my only streaming service but Roku has the most free content I've found. I saw a Roku stick advertised at Walmart for like thirty bucks. It would be worth one for every tv in the house. Unfortunately I cannot cut cable until they stream NFL games for free and I like my local weather report but I prefer streaming over cable; especially for free.1

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I spent several happy, satisfactory years using Roku, until two months ago when I decided not to cancel a Sundance Now 7 day free trial and test out the $4.99/mo. option advertised. Roku opted to instead charge me a full year's subscription at $59.99. I initially requested a refund through Sundance Now once I saw the annual charge. Their policy reviewed through Roku is that refunds can be requested and issued 7 days post-free trial, and since it was not the month's trial charge advertised, I wanted a refund. I was then told I had to request a refund via Roku and follow their terms instead.

Roku has since given me false and misleading information to "process my request", always changing some detail of the process and making my husband and I jump through hoops over the course of nearly TWO months--from 10/04/2020 to 11/23/2020 the issue is still unresolved. There's NO phone number to reach them, they advertise one thing and then do another, and give you nothing but the runaround. Absolutely despicable business practices with bait and switch advertised terms. Buy a Smart TV instead of a Roku. It'll save you in the long run.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

My Roku remote doesn't have a power button, volume button, mute button, or a microphone button. I wish my Roku remote had those buttons. I will get Roku Ultra, Roku's most powerful player ever, for Christmas. I wish Roku could discontinue Roku models that don't have a power button, volume button, mute button, or a microphone button.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Had a problem trying to activate my new Roku TV so I called the Roku helpline and the guy on the other end was trying to charge me 150$ for a subscription. After I did a quick google search the subscription is free. Roku should better screen their support team. This is the number I called (773) 570-7957. Watch out for these scammers. After I hung up they continued to call back over and over.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I bought a Roku TV from Walmart on 11/4/2020 (early Black Friday sale). When I picked the tv up a week later I found out I would not be able to use the tv unless I paid $99 dollars to activate the roku tv. Walmart never disclosed this in their sale ad that there would be additional charges to use the tv. When I talked to some rude woman from roku she said the tv is nothing but a big empty box unless I paid the $99 to activate the roku tv. I am returning the tv to Walmart tomorrow. Shame on Walmart for not disclosing this in their sales ad while trying to sell this tv. I feel sorry for anyone who bought these roku tv’s for Christmas gifts if they don’t know about the activation fee. I do NOT recommend buying any roku tv.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I bought an RCA-ROKU TV from Walmart on Nov 5th, 2020 in Brampton, Ontario. Canada. I took the device home to install and connect to my local cable service. The set up process requires that you connect to your home WiFi and the Internet to activate the TV device. This is something I have never had to do with any other TV purchased over 30+ years. Part of the TV activation requires you to login to Roku.com/link and enter a code which displays on your TV.

Upon entering the code into the Roku web portal, you receive a message letting you know activation has failed, and asks you to call a toll free # to activate with ROKU tech support. I was then told I cannot use the TV device, unless I purchase a subscription service and I was quoted $50.00. I was not informed by Walmart this was a requirement of buying a ROKU TV, which is a huge disappointment. Simply put, I was scammed by Walmart, RCA & ROKU. RCA has made a very bad business decision by partnering with Roku, and Walmart may very well NOT be aware of this approach by ROKU.

I was told by the ROKU technician the policy changed on Nov 1st, 2020, and you cannot use the TV without activating an account and paying a fee. So in other words, ROKU, using an RCA brand, sold in Walmart stores, is channeling a forced upon the consumer streaming service! I feel violated and I am very disappointed by the whole experience. The TV is going back to Walmart on Friday Nov 6th. Henceforth, I will recommend to anyone who will listen, "NEVER buy a ROKU based TV", no matter the brand of the device!

With kind regards

Disappointed Walmart customer

Roku author review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team