1.55/5

347 Roku Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

Although the product usually works well, I encountered an issue with the streaming stick on March 1. It would no longer connect to the WiFi. I was told an extender would help, and that it would be shipped. On March 15th I still had not received it, so called again. Again promised it would be shipped. On March 19th I was told it had a delay, but it would be shipped, given a tracking #. Today, March 21st, I reviewed the shipment only to find out it went to Ohio, not to CA where I am. I had to have it reordered. Another 5 days wait. They can only send via USPS, regular mail. Ridiculous!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a Roku Express so I could watch YouTube on my Smart TV. After a while I decided to Subscribe to a few channels. It all seemed to be going alright until last Week when I got an Email that said my bank would not debit my card and I had to update my payment Method. The bank then locked my Debit card. And I had to go into the bank yesterday and get it unlocked. I also found out this month I had been charged £70. My channel total was not that much. They were taking more money than they should have been doing. They should be reported.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

If you don’t have internet and tv provider, Roku is a joke. You can’t even get local channels without a continuous pop up for your credit card, plus it’s slow and inconsistent and inconvenient, spend more time putting in email and passwords and they still want you to pay.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I purchase 2 Roku Streaming Stick HD in January and 1 week into using this remotes didn't work, so I reset it them both and tried again. Was able to use them for 1 day without problems then didn't work again so had the same issue over and over so I tried contacting Roku for a replacement 'cause the units were brand new. All I got was a response of how to reset the remotes. They never offered a replacement. I still email them back 3 times explaining them I did everything that is there to fix this issue and still happening and they had stop replying back. So I'm going to look for help to get this people to refund me my money. Be aware of this situation.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The Roku box, only requiring a broadband internet connection, allows you to view a huge plethora of programs. If you pay a subscription fee to Hulu, you can watch all of your regular local channels as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Roku?

Original review: March 14, 2019

My Roku TCL TV was quite inexpensive for the size, lightweight feel and the quality of picture. But other than that there’s not much else to it. The remote is flimsy and the buttons are awkward to press (which surprised me as this tv strikes me as an user friendly oriented product, almost specifically to older people who have a harder time using technology it seemed). But it randomly will resort back to the main screen after being on an app, because it crashes often. Too often for it to be a “fluke.”

Also it just seems to have trouble responding in general, to the buttons. You have to press twice or three times and it won’t register that you clicked it, or it randomly shoot forward and register all 5 buttons you pressed at once. Even the volume buttons on the side are quite awkward and the TV has trouble responding to it as well. I just received this TV less than a month ago so it’s not like I’ve had it for 2 years and it’s wearing down, it’s just really sucks at picking up signals. I’m writing this only because for me, the definition of high quality, is the attention paid to details. Which I can definitively say this product does not qualify. It’s a good idea what they’re doing here but they should troubleshoot more when it comes to the actual experience of using this TV. There’s tiny issues that are actually quite annoying to deal with, first one being: rethink the remote.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I would give ROKU zero stars if possible. I have a TCL ROKU TV with a remote that works just fine. I have enjoyed the ROKU OS on this TV, but I wanted the additional features of the Roku Advanced Remote (RF signaling, headphone jack, voice commands). I purchased the Advanced Remote from www.Roku.com/Accessories. The remote was advertised as working with TVs (site no longer says that) that use the Roku OS, so I paid $29.99 for the remote and $7.84 for shipping. The new remote and all its functions worked perfectly for 20 minutes, then the voice, headphone, and RF stopped working. I submitted a trouble ticket on the ROKU site.

It took 5 days before I got a response, suggesting I re-pair it with the TV. This time, the remote would not even pair. So, 15 minutes from receiving their response, I replied that it still didn't work. Two days later, they requested my phone and mailing address. I assumed it was to send me a new remote. Another two days went by, and I get an email stating that my trouble ticket was resolved and that I should contact the TV manufacturer to get a replacement remote! No offer to replace it, and no offer to refund my purchase! Unbelievable! I LOVE my TCL TV with the ROKU OS, but ROKU Customer Service is worse than zero!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Recently purchased two sharp Roku TVs. Worked fine at first for a very short period of time. After a couple months they are unable to maintain an internet connection long enough to watch any episode or movies. Every time you want to use one you have to factory reset the TV and reinstall your channels and modem. Would never recommend one and will never buy another. These are heading to the scrap pile shortly. The customer service denies there are issues even though it is easily googled and blames the troubles a person is having on the owner's other equipment.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Can't activate device - after putting in the code and going to the website, it won't certify that I have read "Terms and Conditions"! Contacting support is useless. They don't answer their "24 hour" phone number and live chatters don't know what they're doing.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The worst experience one could have is to get that Roku TV, it's better to have any TV and use it with Amazon Fire Stick and/or a ChromeCast. Roku doesn't let you install a competing App like Tubi TV or whatever is a competence for it. I'll never bother to get this type of Smart TV, I'd better get a standard TV and get the most from Amazon Fire Stick and/or a ChromeCast as I have always experienced... For me, Roku sucks!!!

Roku expert review by Jonathan Trout

Roku lets you have all of your video streaming services in one place. You have access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from free and paid channels. You can add streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Crackle, Sling TV and more. Roku streaming players start at $30.

• Roku Express: The Roku Express plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and lets you stream content in 1080p HD over your wifi connection. You can download all of your video streaming service apps like Netflix and Hulu to your dashboard. Browse over 500,000 movies and shows that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. The Roku Express costs $30.

• Roku streaming stick: The Roku streaming stick is about the size of a USB stick and plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot. It has a quad-core process that makes navigation and streaming faster and smoother. It’s portable so you can move the stick to different TVs around your home or take it to your friend's house and pick up where you left off. Its compact design makes it great for wall-mounted TVs. The streaming stick costs $40.

• Roku Premiere: Roku Premiere delivers fast and smooth 1080p HD streaming on all smart TVs. If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV, Premiere will stream content that is meant to be seen in ultra HD. Premiere includes a 4K spotlight that lets you search 4K-specific content. The Roku Premiere costs $70.

• Roku TV: Roku TV integrates the Roku operating system into any Insignia, Sharp, Hitachi, Hisense and TCL TVs. You can easily switch between your cable box, gaming console and favorite streaming services so all of your entertainment is in one place. You buy any of the previously mentioned TVs at your local Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club and more.

• Mobile experience: The Roku mobile app turns your smartphone or tablet into a TV remote. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.

• Best for: non-iOS users wanting a cheaper streaming device.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout