2.7/5 (460 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Top Optimum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered ...

Verified

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call...

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: May 21, 2022

On April 11, 2022, I returned a qty of 5pcs to the Optimum Store located in Elizabeth, NJ. I started receiving calls from a collection agency approximately a week later, which prompted my call to customer service on April 23, 2022. During the automated call, the automated system stated that I owed $228.19. After providing the necessary info to verify my account, I explained what the automated system said and asked if I had a balance on my account. The rep (I think his name was Justin) informed me that I didn’t have any other charges on my account and it is due to the merchandise that has not been updated on the account.

The rep that I spoke with also informed me that there was no proof of a merchandise return in the system. I provided all of the necessary details from my actual receipt, which clearly reflected my in-store return. I was asked one by one to verify the the equipment numbers. I was provided with confirmation # ** and instructed to call back after 7 days to ensure that my account reflected the returned equipment. He informed me that he would be issuing a ticket to have this matter escalated. During this call, I explained to the rep that I moved and no longer had access to my on-line account as it was closed after I called to have my service suspended due to the move. I also explained that I asked the rep if I had any charges on my account before notifying him of my move and was informed no.

In the meantime, this collection agency has been continuously calling from **. I called Optimum again on 5/19/22 (after another collection agency call) at ** at 4:39pm, explained everything all over again to Keyah and requested to speak to a supervisor. I explained how furious I was that my account info was endorsed for collections for equipment that I returned. I demanded to have the negative remarks removed completely from my credit. Keyah stated she would review my account and get back to me. I was left on hold for about 10 mins and then the call conveniently disconnected.

I immediately called back again at 4:53pm, demanding to speak to a supervisor while explaining everything again. Kelly then advised me that my account had a zero balance, however the equipment was not showing as returned. After being placed on hold I was informed that I would receive a call back from the supervisor in approximately 20 mins. I was also told that the automatic system was incorrect and she assured me that she would try her best to correct that. Which never happened.

I called on 5/20/22 at 5:52pm and spoke with Jenny. Once again, demanded to speak with a supervisor while summarizing the nature of my complaint. I requested that she read back the notes, which detailed the reasoning for my numerous calls. Jenny stated there was a ticket created on April 26, 2022 requesting a escalation as well as a supervisor call back. She then put in another request and promised to get a supervisor on the phone.

Shortly after placing me on hold, I was connected with a supervisor that had no knowledge of why I was calling. Jason sounded disinterested and stated “I have no information about your call. I thought you were the representative. I don’t even know how you got through.” I explained everything to him. He informed me that the equipment was received (according to him screen) and that there is a close-out charge to the account. I asked if he had different screen access than the reps as I was assured there was no other balance.

I also, requested to have all of the calls reviewed as I was informed by several agents that the balance was no balance. I explained that I provided my forwarding address during the initial call to inform Optimum of the move. I received no notifications by mail, email or text. I demanded to know how I was I notified of this so-called bill, which he couldn’t provide an answer for. According to Jason, this bill was due on March 22, 2022. He informed me that my account had been written off and they can’t remove anything my credit at this point. I requested the number for corporate and was instructed to go online to retrieve it. I requested again and was informed they don’t have a number for corporate and was advise to write corporate at:

Altice USA
Attn: Shared Service
1111 Stewart Ave

Beth page, NY 11714

Please stop supporting these deceptive, incompetent scammers!!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

For months now I get notices on the TV that a channel is not available. It is the Network stations. CBS, NBC, ABC. I have reached out numerous times. I am told to reboot. I do... Then they come to the house. Find nothing wrong. They cannot figure it out. Every time I call they make me go thru the same process that never fixes it. When I ask for a discount I get a couple of dollars off 1 bill but have a reoccurring issue. If you call you are on hold forever,..if you try to message.. they are confused. I want to switch services but have no other option. I pay in excess of 200.00 month for the worst TV experience. I just get someone overseas who I cannot understand and does nothing to help. If you have another option for service...TAKE IT.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Optimum had a promotion of a $200 gift card for switching- but I never got it. When I called in to ask - they tell me I paid first month’s bill late and that disqualified me for the promotion - they couldn’t tell me when or how the bill was sent. Let’s say they did send the bill properly and I missed it - you would expect some penalty and/or interest - not use that excuse to keep the $200/-. Clearly shows where their priorities lie - use whatever crooked methods you can to cheat customers - suggest being careful with them.

Original review: May 13, 2022

One of the worst customer service experiences. Was promised a 300$ gift card after being a customer for 3 months. Never received the card and when I called to have it escalated I was met with the most unprofessional employees who either had me on hold and then hung up or never called back after numerous calls and messages. This experience alone has made me look into other providers. Will not be recommending to anyone based on poor customer service alone

Original review: May 12, 2022

This is the worst customer service I’ve ever seen. I was on hold for 40 min to talk with someone only to be put on hold for another 40 minutes. I’ve been a customer for over 10 years and my bill has gone up to almost 300 per month and I’m calling for technical support because my internet drops every day. If someone doesn’t call me back soon I’m going to repost this on every internet site I can. I wish Verizon was an option out here.

Original review: May 2, 2022

From beginning to end Optimum it's been a nightmare. If you have the chance choose any other service provider please do so. As their lack of interest for customer and poor quality internet is a real problem and they don't care until you escalate matters into the Better Business Bureau.

Optimum response

Hi Luis. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I want to let you know that we are here to help and would be glad to further address any service problems. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: April 26, 2022

They charged for thing in the most confusing way possible and don't offer any recourse when there is an issue. I was charged for a service tech to come out to fix a box of theirs that wasn't working. Before this, I tried to fix it over the phone and the service rep assured me I wouldn't be charged to the tech since it was their equipment and their problem. Then I was charge $80 with no recourse. I do not recommend, go with anyone else.

Optimum response

Hi Ava, We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look over your account. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Original review: April 25, 2022

I called 6 times today alone and got nothing resolved. Instead I was greeted, "Oh yes we can help", which lead me to become frustrated and angry, that caused an anxiety flare. I switched carriers, oh big, big mistake. They never ported my number from another and canceled the port giving me a new number. Nope that's not what was promised. The phone choice was limited. I chose a 13a ok well it won't make and receive calls. No service at all. It's T mobile. The worst in the country for coverage. They advertise best coverage, but do not believe it. The Customer service agent wanted me to buy additional lines to port my old number again. Excuse me I can't get service now why spend more, "Well you can get a refund". What I say? "I'm done talking. Get me a supervisor," oh no that was unheard of. I have wasted 8:30 am to 11:30 so far and not one thing accomplished.

Next I have cable/internet with them and pay for 400 Meg service and get 90 Meg pay over price for something I do not get I asked for a compensation so far its all my fault that their stuff doesn't work is how they made me feel. They told me. it was a fiber line that broke and they are fixing it. We do not have fiber, then it was they are replacing fiber, No not true, I investigated. Then they sent a fellow out 3rd party tech. "I can't do it it's the line guys that adjust the Tap. They come out and adjust it now I get 185 Megs still not up to speed. Six times today I dealt with them, no bill adjustment no nothing but a non sincere apologizes that left me holding an empty bag of air.

This is an all around bad company that has agents not living and working in the USA and cannot get an escalation WO sent to the correct person. No one can fix the simplest issues they just want to reboot the system. Really? I am a Technologist Scientist a field expert in Networking and they fill customers with false hope and hope you buy it. Wrong unethical and non-transparent in honest practices. If you can, avoid this company in my opinion. I have no choice except to go Skylink at a 100 Megs.

Optimum response

Hello Dr. Ken, We are here to help and would be glad to further address the low speeds you are experiencing and address the phone number being ported over. Please message us back at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we could take a closer look at what might be causing your issues.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Was a paying customer for 10+ years and can reliably say the customer service experience has been consistently inconsistent over the years. By this I mean, I'd call one operator about a billing or service issue, get disconnected or experience inaction, and then call again only to reach a different operator who contradicts what the previous operator says.

It's evident there's a huge disconnect between the way in which managers at different customer service sites train or direct their operators and it shows. My typical experience has been speaking to 3 or more reps about the same issue before anything ever gets resolved. To put this into perspective, I haven't used Optimum for 6+ months and I'm STILL dealing with and issue resolving a refund that has never been issued because of the lack of alignment in their systems and/or expectations.

I had to jump through hoops in order to get a different service installed, because Optimum monopolized my block and we couldn't get a better option for all of those years until then. If you have no better options in your area then you have been advised--fight for something better! Push those other providers and sweet talk your neighbors. Do whatever you have to do to avoid the customer service inception at Optimum!

Optimum response

Hi Tahisha, We are here to help and would be glad to take a look over your account for you. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Optimum used to be the best. I paid a premium for this service. For months my internet and phone would disconnect, sometimes for days. 6 different techs came to my home giving me different excuses as to why they couldn't fix my problem. I spent countless hours on the phone with customer service and support. I asked for a refund for the months of interrupted service, they said I had to send an envelope with a request for a refund. Imagine an ISP requiring you to do this. Well I'm done with Optimum and have found another service provider that may not be as fast but actually stays on 24/7. They even cut off my email, good thing I already transferred my emails. Sad ending to a once solid ISP. They seem to not really care and hope you just deal with the poor service. Good luck to those that stick with them.

Optimum response

Hey Eugene, We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look over your account to see if anything could be done to help out with the additional costs. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Optimum Company Information