DISH Network
3.22/5
Based on 2,197 ratings submitted in the last year

DISH Network Reviews

6114 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 2, 2013

Dish customer service person tried to force me to switch from DirecTV. The guy named Vinney who was helping began to get upset when I explained that my husband and I would have to talk more and I will call back if we decide to go with Dish. He made a comment, "Why did you call if you weren't going to get it?" When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he kept trying to tell me why I need to make my decision now instead of calling back. I would never now consider going with this company because of how I was treated. A customer should never be forced by any company to get something that they are not sure they want. You have a choice. It is your money, and Dish Network doesn't control who I decide to use as my cable provider.

Original review: June 27, 2013

I called Dish to just check on Satellite & Internet service. I live in a rural area, so choices are few. After a lengthy and high pressure sales pitch, I agreed to let Dish provide Internet service & TV service. Dish asked if I would like a 5 Mbps download speed or 10 Mbps. I said that I would try 5 Mbps and if was not fast enough, I would increase to 10. For the first 2 months, it would never get over 1.8 to 2.3 Mbps download speed. After two technician visits and a new modem, the download speed is around 5 Mbps, but upload speed is less than .4 Mbps. It takes 2-3 seconds to load an email, even longer to load a new page & no hyperlinks work at all....

This Saturday, Dish is coming back for the 3rd time. I pay $49.99 per month for Dish Internet (at home). Internet speed tests say my Internet service speed is in the slowest bottom 15% average in the US. Forget about the Internet service working when you sign online. I have to set up the network every time I get online. At work (my own business), AT&T U-Verse charges $40.00 per month for 12 Mbps (& it always connects at that speed or faster). Unfortunately, AT& T service stops 3 miles south of my home and they have no idea when they will expand service to my location. Even my Verizon web stick connects my laptop at over 6 Mbps in this rural area, much faster than Dish.

As for the Dish TV service, on the basic package, most of the channels are shopping channels. I got some free preview channels for about 2 months, so I recorded them for later viewing on the Hopper. Then I found out that unless I subscribe (meaning more money), all the programs I recorded now will not play back (That goes for any movies I recorded on the Hopper). Since the Internet service is very slow & the basic TV package offers mostly shopping channels, I said I wanted to cancel (after 2 months). Dish said I could for an $800.00 cancellation fee, plus other fees yet to be determined.

Don't fall for their sales pitch. Once you sign, you're on for two years of horrible service.

Original review: June 26, 2013

I ordered Dish Network at my home in Unionville, Michigan. They installed it and it had a fuzzy picture. The installer told me that it would get better, but it got worse. The picture would jump in and out constantly. I called Dish and they told me they would send a serviceman out. The whole time they were here, the picture did the same thing. After the third time they were here, I could not get it fixed.

I asked the serviceman what I should do. He said to get a new service provider. He told me, “If you can't get our service, they cannot charge you.” So I got new service from DirecTV and it works great. Dish Network charged me $391 for dropping their service that did not work and I cannot get anywhere with them. At one point, they tried to get me to pay them half of the charge. I feel I owe nothing as their service would not work. Thank you.

Original review: June 26, 2013

Selling home before 2-year contract expires. Offered new owners service that is already connected and working, including the equipment furnished by Dish Network. That is not acceptable for DISH. You can't transfer service or equipment to new owners. They must start all over with DISH. I am instructed to return the equipment, cancel my service, and pay a $227 early termination fee because I am selling my home. They have threatened to charge my credit card for the termination fee and unreturned equipment if I don't comply. All the other utilities had NO problems with me transferring or cancelling services except DISH NETWORK.

Original review: June 24, 2013

Almost the same thing happened to me when I cancelled my service but it was "after the contract had expired." Even doing the right thing and waiting out their contract, they still ripped me off! I cancelled on April 1, which I wrote down in my billing file and who I spoke with (because they wouldn’t give me a confirmation number to refer back to. They claimed their name would be confirmation), and they told me I had a $98 refund coming because I had paid my bill that was due on the March 30th that carried me through the month of April and it was what they owed me. I also had the cable company install cable at the end of March before as not to lose TV service.

I have that dated/signed contract also as proof that I did not use Dish Network service as of the end of March. A couple of months went by, no refund check and guess what... they sent me a bill for $56 claiming that I cancelled my service on April 22. Even so, I should still have a few days of credit with them. The billing cycle was at the end of each month. I had also forgotten back when I signed up, it was 2 months in advance I had to pay when I reviewed my file I had on them. (I always get a hard copy and I recommend that to everyone because they try to scam you on your billing dates too. Having the hard copy they send out is proof they are lying.)

When I cancelled the contract, they refused a confirmation number. Instead, they gave me an operator’s name. Well, that sure didn’t work when I used the name given when I cancelled on the 1st. They said no one worked there with that name??? There were no 45 days between connecting and the first month billings, their reasons of billing me for the first 2 months in advance. They actually owe me almost 2 full months refund. I refuse to pay Dish Network the $56. I have called everyone I can possibly talk to at Dish Network, and they finally gave me an email address to continue the complaint because there was no one who had any higher authority than who I had on the telephone concerning my billing issue, is what I was told.

I sent an email with every detail and I never received an answer back; instead, this $56 bill is now on my credit report and I keep getting those horrible calls asking for it and letter after letter. I value my credit report and work hard to keep it clean. It is not fair that fraudulent companies can do damage to a person’s credit report causing them to lose out on low percentage ratings due to their dishonesty. I am now going to try and reach out to the credit bureaus and find out what can be done to remove this from my credit report due to Dish Network’s dishonesty. In a future comment, I will post what results I was able to get. Dish Network is a joke. Their service is horrible. I suffered through their contract and I will never ever use another satellite company again. I have enjoyed having my Cablevision again, no interruptions from a simple light rain shower!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: June 24, 2013

We have had Dish Network come out to install a line and they have been out to our address three times due to improper installation. Today, my husband was mowing the lawn and cut the cable wires because they did not install the wires properly underground. We are without service and have live wires exposed in our backyard. We contacted Dish immediately and only received empty promises of returned calls from supervisors and appointments that never happened today or tomorrow. We have wires in our backyard that are live and flying around and no one at Dish seems to care or want to take responsibility. We have even entered a maintenance contract with them which does help. We just want them to care and fix the service the proper way. Please advise.

Original review: June 24, 2013

My wife told the technician not to drill any holes in the house or attach anything to the house since the house was already wired for satellite. Installer disregarded her instructions and attached a wire across the back of the house across the end of the house and halfway across the front of the house by screwing wire holders directly into the vinyl siding. Then he used a small hole in the siding to run a wire into the house and cut the hole out to about 1 inch wide, then put in a loose fitting rubber grommet without sealing around it. Installation company will not repair the damage claiming that they do this all the time and that it is acceptable.

Since I am a licensed contractor, my feelings and the feelings of other contractors is that this is not acceptable... Trying to get Dish to cancel the contract, take their equipment and leave, then I will repair my home. I feel that this will be easier than a court battle to get them to repair my house. Waiting on their answer. After their disregard for our home and instructions, we are going to cancel our Dish Network service at both houses. Currently, I am talking to my attorney about what I can do, if they will not accept my offer.

Original review: June 22, 2013

They shot up my bill from $53 a month to $88 in which they said I asked for a different package, that I asked for an upgrade. I DID no such thing. Now, they gave me free channels - big deal. They should put the money back on the client's bill, but they don't...I am so tired of Dish and I am moving too. If they don't take care of business, I will not move them with me...Not to mention, when it just rains outside, we lose our signal. What a joke this company is.

Original review: June 21, 2013

I signed up 9-9-2012, that's when the nightmare began. There were numerous problems with the service, blackouts, trying to watch one channel while recording another, and the ongoing billing problems. I had to move in November and was charged to transfer service even though they said they wouldn't. When the tech came out to hook it up, he did it wrong, so that meant more time on the phone to get their mess cleaned up. I ended up redoing it myself, it wasn't that hard. I did get a refund for that after several more calls and hours on the phone. I never did get paid for my time or work. It stayed the same until I had to move again.

My new landlord made it impossible for me to place their ugly dish to get service and, even though someone from Dish came out to verify this, (which by the way they say they didn't send anyone) I said I had had enough. They broke the contract by not providing the service I was paying for, so I felt it was my American right to get away from them. I sent back their equipment, and cancelled. They sent me the boxes, and I mailed their garbage to them. I didn't hear anything and was concerned, so I started contacting by chat line so I had proof of our conversation. I was told that I didn't owe anything, and actually had a credit of $132.17. I explained that I cancelled early because of all the problems, and she assured me that I owed nothing and would get a refund in the mail.

I never got that, but I did get an email informing that they were taking $221.50 out of my checking for early termination. What happened to my refund? They kept the most of it for return fees and took away my sign-up bonuses, which they don't inform you of. As far as I'm concerned, they are in breach of the contract by horrible customer service, billing and technical problems. The government needs to do something about them and hold them responsible for bad service and making people pay for their mistakes. It's a scam plain and simple to sucker people into a contract, and then make their life a living hell.

Original review: June 21, 2013

Satellite is great. Hopper is great. Internet sucks if you like to watch movies or videos online. No Netflix, no Amazon, no Vudu, no YouTube, no downloading of any kind or you'll use up your gigs in a flash!! Customer service is horrible!! My girlfriend was at work & asked me to come over and wait for the satellite man to do an installation because someone 18 or older had to be there for the installation. So I did and when he came in he told me I had to sign something before he could install. So I did and little did I know I was signing a two-year contact. It was her satellite, not mine.

When she wanted to cancel the crappy internet service, they told her that they would have to charge her a $400+ cancellation fee. If she was to try & fight it, then, I guess, somehow I would be responsible for her bill, just because I signed the piece of paper without warning of what it was. She called & the lady told her "whoever was there during the installation was 18 or older & should have been smart enough to read a piece of paper before signing it". Not to mention they send an email twice a month saying they are about to draft this & that for no reason. We have had to call DISH constantly to keep from getting screwed & it's only been almost two months. Be careful people. Customer service is the worst I've ever experienced.

Original review: June 21, 2013

When I first came back as a customer with Dish Network, I never authorized them to charge my account. When I thought I was late, I sent a check. They came to my account multiple times and I told my bank to reverse the payment, so they cancelled my account. They asked for the equipment in which I don't have to be charged several times and when I sent it, they said they're going to send it to collection. When I did send the equipment, they are such liars. They say one thing and say another. I never heard of a company charging my account when it should go to your credit. Never ever go to Dish Network. I hope they lose customers and get sued.

Original review: June 20, 2013

I cancelled Dish in Feb. 2013. I received a box to send their equipment back on Feb. 11, 2013. I took the box, UPS label and equipment to Don's Printer and sent it off. On the 16th, I got an alert on my Capital One card that Dish had charged me $560 for said equipment. I called my Capital One rep and she called Dish with me on the line. The Dish rep said the package had been received but not yet logged in. So silly me, I thought it was all settled. Then last week, I received a notice from a collection company sent by your friendly Dish Network.

I called the collection agency and told her what I felt was going on and she said to send her all my info, which I did. It is too late to track the package through UPS because Dish has a set-up account and they are the only ones able to track it now. Hmmm, how convenient. What I do have is the tracking number. The first two digits show it was from the Colville office and the next four digits show the package was going to Dish. The rest only Dish can retrieve, so NEVER trust them get a delivery report before you let up. As for me, this bill is bogus and I will never pay it, and I will badmouth Dish forever, maybe even haunt them!

Original review: June 20, 2013

I had an account for about 4 years, so contract expired and I paid through auto pay. All is well until Feb 2013. I was double billed then double billed again in April. I called to no avail. They said I was not double billed even though I had my credit card statement in front of me showing it. So they had one of the charges reversed. Now, my monthly bill jumped from $29.99 to $46.99, and I was double billed again. Plus another charge of $17, for what? I will cancel but is there something I could do about these overages?

Original review: June 20, 2013

We are Dish customers with about 3 or 4 months left on our contract with Dish. We had an HD receiver that included a DVR built in. Briefly, we had service in an additional room, but wanted to remove "TV 2" because it wasn't being used. My wife called and asked that it be stopped so we could save some $$. We inexplicably got a package from Dish with what we thought was a receiver that was an upgrade because the notice accompanying stated that the one we already had was "obsolete" and that if we didn't return it, we'd be charged the cost of the receiver. I said to myself, "OK," installed the new one, and immediately sent the old one through UPS back to Dish.

A day later, after wondering why the record features wouldn't work on the remote, I realize the one they sent me did NOT have DVR capability. They'd misunderstood my wife's request on the phone and thought we wanted to downgrade to an inferior receiver when we hadn't asked for that at ALL. After calling them and arguing with four dimwitted representatives, which included their supervisor, they insisted that getting my old DVR receiver back would constitute an "upgrade" and not a correction of their incompetent mistake, and therefore, I would have to sign for another 2-year contract. After arguing with them some more, and getting nowhere, I said, "Fine. I'll just keep the inferior receiver you gave me for the remaining 3 or 4 months I have on my contract, and once it expires, you'll never have me as a customer again." (Click)

Original review: June 19, 2013

I bought a rural property and installed Dish on my home along with Satellite Internet. I wanted internet on a second building on the same 15 acres but on the same account. I called to inquire if it was possible. I was told it could so I placed an order. When the installer gets there, I am told I cannot get internet in two places on the same property on the same account. I called Dish to find out why. They tell me they cannot do that for internet or TV. I was passed through 8 people and dropped once along the way requiring me to call in again. By the time I got to the 9th person, I got escalated to a supervisor who was nothing less than combative. She was belligerent suggesting my information of the original promise was not accurate because her system did not say that.

I pointed out that even though she said I could not have two satellite dishes on the same address and same account, that I had a TV installed that morning. She said, "No problem, I will call to have it removed." I finally hung up on her. I NEVER hang up on people. I was so frustrated. I know my original input was accurate because of the way I keep my notes. I would have never even asked for the install on the second building aside from the fact that I was told I could. We are a rural property so we have few options. I will probably not rip it out but I want to. Customer service was given a number of times with the people I spoke to. It was not until I got escalated (and she refused to escalate further) that I met with the "wicked witch of the west." I am not a customer. I am a hostage.

Original review: June 18, 2013

I have too many details to list and I don't want to type for an hour so I just want to be brief about Dish Network and my experience with them. They lie. They steal. They are rude. They can enter your information in their databases incorrectly and hold YOU accountable!! If I conducted myself in arrangements the way they have, I would be in jail!! I mean, can I steal and get away with it? NO, guess what… DISH NETWORK can!! I strongly urge anyone pondering using their service to reconsider. Also, don't get too excited about their so-called high speed internet which is through WildBlue, because by high speed, what they mean is more like dial up speed. But that's okay. Obviously, they can say whatever they choose to rip people off. I hope this helps to deter even one person from subscribing but hopefully many.

Original review: June 18, 2013

We switched to Dish Network back in Oct. as our only option for Internet service. They promised high speed, good connection and Wi-Fi for all of our phones, computers and iPods. In order to get the Internet service, we had to switch the video service as well. We were not pleased with the selection, ability to record only 2 shows at a time and that our TVs were getting stuck on the same shows. I have spent so much time calling in to customer service trying to resolve our issues. At one point, we could only watch the show we were recording!! That's fun!! - NOT!

Our BIG issue was the Internet connection. The Wi-Fi was not working, not compatible with the phones and Mac products then stopped working all together after just 1 week. I called in to find out the router was "bad". They weren't going to make us "pay" for it since it just happened!! The new router came in and I installed it. Still, only 1 computer would connect!! That computer would lose the connection all the time. I have called over and over about the poor connection. They finally sent someone out. They wanted to charge us but given our call history, they gave it to us for free.

The tech came out, repositioned the satellite and got the Mac computers to work but we still get dropped while trying to work!! We called in to disconnect and got a runaround!! The supervisor, Kate **, was very rude, not skilled to handle customers’ complaints. She was not willing to resolve our issues, only charge us more money. Her tone was demeaning and disrespectful!! We are dissatisfied with Dish Network and their horrible service! They claim to provide a service that they are not able to provide! They lock you into a contract and then want to charge you $280.00 to get out of the contract!! At least if you switch back to DirecTV, they can provide the service that is worth paying for!!

Original review: June 18, 2013

They talked me into getting the hopper and trading in my old equipment. Without telling me, they automatically signed me up to a new 24-month agreement. The installer, Robert ** had me initial two spots on his phone, and when I asked him what I was initialing, he said that it had to do with the installation going okay. When I called to complain, I was told by a member of their "Executive Resolution Team" that they would do nothing about it (Alex, El Paso, Texas, 803-942-8605, extension **). This is against the law, and if they did this to you, contact your local Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection, and also the FTC, and complain.

Original review: June 17, 2013

For over a month now on several of our channels, we get the complete signal loss. I think they have had enough time to get their crap together and fix the dam problem. Also, they have changed to channels we signed up for to a different tier. They may think they have the right to change their programming, but this is bait and switch.

Original review: June 13, 2013

We got a bank statement stating that Dish Network automatically took TWO payments of $61.99 out of our account "by accident" for one month and then we got charged $91 in overdraft fees and they're Refusing to give us any money back for their mistakes! We have had them for years and have NEVER missed or been late for a payment. We paid over $164 for their "accident". Then, the supervisor on the phone had the nerve to tell me they had permission to be able to charge our account, so they aren't at fault!?

Original review: June 12, 2013

There are erroneous charges on my bill that DISH cannot explain. When I dropped the service, DISH charged me $17 to return their equipment! In the 24 hours before delivery of the return box and my sending it off, I received 7 ominous phone calls telling me that if all was not returned immediately, I would be subject to further charges. They are a very aggressive company. I have never missed a payment nor been late. I fulfilled the time period on my contract. All I wanted was an explanation of charges that were charged to my account.

Original review: June 10, 2013

Over a short time of less than 2 years of having Dish Network, we had very poor signal. Every time we needed a tech to come out, we had to go without service for a week each time. The customer service representatives were rude and unable to satisfy me in any way. The best they offered was $5 off each month for 6 months... REALLY?! That is crap! You can't control your TV in any way without the remote. I have 4 kids so losing remotes is very common in my house... Oh well, no TV! When they ran the wire from the satellite to the house, it was not buried very deep... 2 inches... really!

We had Charter Cable for 10+ years and we have had no complaints! Unfortunately, Charter does not come to where we live. So we have cancelled our Dish and had to pay $70 for being unsatisfied. Off to DirecTV... In-laws have had it for a few years and they always have signal, and never have had any complaints so far. So hopefully we will have better luck with them.

Original review: June 9, 2013

After 10+ years of service, we had requested a new remote. Dish refuses to provide it or to upgrade our totally out of date boxes that lacked the features available to any new customer. When we called to cancel due to our move, they refused to ship us boxes to return the equipment within our 30-day close timeframe saying it would take 6-8 weeks standard to ship them; however, we could buy new services. We said we'd just ship in our own boxes. When I called back on a weekend, the operator quoted 5 days to deliver the boxes. It’s the worst service and overall experience! We went with Brighthouse and would warn anyone not to use Dish.

Original review: June 7, 2013

June 07, 2013 I called the phone number from a Dish television commercial because they were announcing that Dish.net is "available anywhere" in the USA. When I finally reached a CSR in the Philippines, I was advised that internet service is unavailable in my area! WTF! In my language, ANYWHERE means what it states! Totally misleading, waste of my time, and I'm pissed that Dish is outsourcing their labor to one of the worst countries for customer service. My experience with Philippino/a agents is horrible. They never deviate from a useless script, are rude and impatient, and their "apologies" are meaningless.

Original review: June 7, 2013

I'm not here to tell you we don't like Dish. That would be wrong. We have been happy with the company and service for many years as one of your customers. We have especially enjoyed the Hopper. It is set to be a winner for many years to come. The reason I'm writing you is the promotion you have right now with the iPads. As a loyal customer for many years, always on time with our monthly payment, I would say that not offering this to us makes me feel a bit angry and a whole lot unappreciated. I would think that a longtime customer would be valued and a new customer gets rewarded for what? What is wrong here?

Original review: June 6, 2013

After terminating my contract early, I was prepared for my fee for doing so. But when I spoke to the customer service agent, she never told me of any charges coming out on a particular day or what the charge would be. She actually credited my account for over-paying on a bill after I cancelled my service. So today, I look at my bank info online and they took out $356!! That was for my cancellation and the remainder of my last bill!! What the **!! Mind you, this is 2 months later after I cancelled!

I called today to tell them to put that back in and I am happy to make payments. The rep says there is nothing I can do; I cannot put the money back in. It is ridiculous that they are able to take money out of my account when 2 months ago I said to stop auto pay and close my account!!! I am just disgusted with this company!! NEVER AGAIN will I try another, anyone else but COMCAST!! Thanks a lot for screwing over my family!

Original review: June 5, 2013

I have subscribed to Dish for 4 years. Except for DirecTV and sporadic on-air service, they are my only choice. I needed service about 2 months ago. They came. I have their service insurance. Isn't that a sick concept? But I digress. They replaced my receiver box and that resolved my issue of pixelation. But it created a new one. My dish anywhere won't work and they won't do a thing about it. They spent/I spent two hours on the phone/chat trying to resolve the issue with no results. They concluded they could do nothing to resolve the issue at this time. They would stay on it and contact me if and when their engineers could come up with something. I pointed out I was paying for the service. No, they said dish anywhere is free to subscribers and is separate from their service. Can you believe that **?

Original review: June 5, 2013

Like this page and help me get DISH Network bring the router I was supposed to have already! They've said someone was coming 4 different days, twice didn't have equipment, twice NO call NO show, no one from customer service 800 number helping, no response from email, one response from FB but the problem still is not fixed! The story is way too long to write on here. But after having no help... and service not being fully restored, I am wanting out of my contract! Would LOVE to go to another service!

Original review: June 4, 2013

I had a lot of receiver failures in the first three months, and after doing all the troubleshooting they called for, I talked them into sending a new (refurbished) receiver. I have had this receiver about 3 weeks and it is starting to freeze up two to three times a day. The old receiver would freeze the picture, but continue with the audio. The new receiver fixed this problem. Now it loses the audio and the picture stays. In both instances the remedy is about 7 to 10 minutes of unplugging the power and rebooting. This gets very tiresome after a while, not to mention losing the program you are watching. They told me that I could have a tech come out for $95.00 but there is no guarantee that they could fix it. I have checked the dish for proper alignment and loose connections, and I guess from what I have read on this page, it seems I am doomed with their service until I can get the contract down to where I can buy it out.

Original review: June 4, 2013

This is my review of the terrible internet service Dish provides, also known as Dish Net. I've had the service for approximately 6 months and have made over 20 phone calls to the technical support because the service constantly goes out. I was also made aware that Dish Net has an extremely small bandwidth cap of a measly 5GB. After exceeding this cap, your internet gets throttled to snail speeds. I find this practice unethical because it basically forces people to purchase more data for more money. Now, I've heard of 100GB plans and even 50GB but 5GB is ridiculous. Five gigs is supposed to last me and my family ONE MONTH!?

Most people can go through 5GB in one week without trying. Now, I've found out they've been cutting my service early in the morning because I've exceeded this minuscule bandwidth cap. I called them and they have no knowledge of it, but my service goes out every night at the same time until my new billing cycle. I've never been late on a payment. I've always paid my bill in full and on time. I don't see why they have to alter my service and suspend it. I feel almost blackmailed to buy a more expensive package or have to settle with poor service and unexpected changes. This is my first and last experience with Dish internet. When I move, I will seek out another internet company because this experience has been absolutely horrible.

I will never recommend this service to any of my family or friends and I've come here to write to people and warn them, especially to THINK TWICE before ordering DISH high-speed internet. Surprisingly, I have not read any reviews on Dish internet service, positive or negative, except for a basic overview of the service. I would like to read other people's experiences with this service because mine has been a disaster. Once my contract is up, I will never deal with Dish ever again. They can keep their 5GB a month and I will switch to a service that does not implement such a stranglehold on what I do with a service that I PAY FOR.

DISH Network Company Information