Windstream VoIP Reviews

About Windstream VoIP

Windstream’s VoIP provides businesses with reliable internet and phone services. Windstream has multiple plan options for businesses with different needs, including unlimited local and long-distance calling and advanced calling features.

Windstream VoIP Reviews

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 5%
  • 3%
  • 2%
  • 86%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream VoIP?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream VoIP?

Reviewed July 6, 2023

Have had disruption in service multiple times per day. Am paying for other services that I can’t use because internet is down. This has been going on for many months. I was to be compensated and brought shoe. Dealing on a daily basis with no resolution. Please just fix this!

Pinned

Hi Nora, I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to assist with getting your service issues resolved. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com. <Alaina

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 27, 2023

Completely unreliable internet service. They simply are not willing to invest in their rural customers. The speeds they promise are slow, and they rarely are able to provide what they have promised. I have had more service drops in the past month than I can count. Multiple per day. This has been a recurring problem over the last 15 years. Service. Last week a service technician came out to fix it on Friday. He replaced the router and by Sunday the service was out again. I was told that if we weren't home when the tech came out we would be charged $50, I made arrangements to be home and the tech didn't show. Did they offer to pay me for my time? NO! Every customer service call is a terrible experience, 20-30 min hold times, and often no solution when you get through.

Customer Care. "Thank you for being with us that long." I have heard that several times, yet I pay more per month than someone who just signed up. That's not much of a thank you, and they have been attempting to raise my rates this year, when they are arguably as bad as they have ever been. Why should I pay more?! They have not invested more in our area, our speeds are not better, the dependability is worse, and the customer service hasn't improved. I am only still with Windstream because I have no other option. If I could give them negative stars I would. I am actively looking for other options, even if they are more expensive.

Pinned

Hi Marty, I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to assist with getting your service issues resolved. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed June 7, 2023

Connection is not good. Have to constantly several times a day re boot. Not happy didn't receive the $200 visa promotion as advertised. Located in Odenville Alabama. Numerous staying connected issues for their internet service. Want my $200 and they need to fix problems on eternal hold when trying to reach support. Help.

Pinned

Hi Peggy, I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to assist with any issues you are experiencing. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2022

This is by far the worst internet I've ever experienced, we're paying $80 for less than 20 mbps when we're supposed to get 50 and even that's a rip off. Every Sunday at 11:26am the internet will shut off and won't come back on till 10 minutes later. There could be only one thing on the internet & as soon as another device connects to it, the latency jumps and the ping exceeds over 500. I've had 5 different people come out to "fix it", each time they'll criticized what the last person didn't do & claim "I fixed it for you".. Avoid this service!

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2022

The internet always cuts out in the middle of things. It is terrible for gaming, it is terrible for tv, and it is terrible for everything. DO NOT USE THIS INTERNET PROVIDER. The internet is so bad that my school's wifi is better. There are over 400 people on the wifi. In summary, DO NOT USE THIS TRASH!!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed June 11, 2022

I had a internet and home phone bundle.. $50 for internet and $20 for a phone line. I never used the phone line and request for it to be taken off. It was not taken off both times that I called, after being told they would remove the line I was still being charged $20 a months. I was paying over $85 a month after tax... They couldn't simply remove the phone line.. so they changed my service from $50 for the same internet and speed to $67 (additional $17) then credited me $17 for one year.. So basically for one year I will pay $49.99 plus tax and then will be charged the same price as internet and phone... They have loopholes to keep you paying the price that they want you to pay. *** Also if you look at their internet plans they advertise starting at $29 a month.. They told me a $50 plan is the cheapest available to me. Ridiculous!

Pinned

Kayla, I'd like to look into this and ensure that you're receiving the best pricing we have. Please email me your account number to wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Thank You!

Reviewed June 10, 2022

When I first got service my download and upload speed was the same (238mps) as I have a fiber optic wire. About one month ago my upload speed dropped to 100 and then to 40 then to 20 and back to 40 or 50. Some days it is only 20. When your technicians, Roy and Paul, came out to fix it, they did all they could to try to fix my upload speed. But they could not solve the problem. They changed the modem and the white transfer box and that did not fix it. Paul said a tech told him the problem is in the line itself, which makes sense because when my upload speed dropped from one day to the next, I had the same modem and same white box. Now, either there is a problem in the line or I am being throttled. I would appreciate it if someone would fix this. If not, I will have to complain to the Better Business Bureau and online and start to find another Internet provider.

Pinned

Hi Richard, please email me with a previous ticket number or account number and I'd be happy to get local management involved. Thank you!

Customer ServiceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed March 29, 2022

They gave me the hardest time to cancel and continued debiting our business accounts after the services were no longer in use. They continued to give me the run around about the refund and I spent numerous hours and emails almost a year just to get refunded a third of what they took.

Pinned

Marlene, I am sorry that this was your experience. I've answered another complaint with my direct contact information if you'd like to discuss further. Thank you,

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 18, 2022

Windstream can't seem to get their billing straight, and when they botched things up, they threaten to disconnect service. They are completely unprofessional and rude. Their agents call daily looking for more $ when we have a credit. Their agents don't put notes in their system, so every time we converse, we have to start from the beginning. So far many hours of wasted time speaking to their staff has done nothing but put us behind on our own work. It's almost like they do this on purpose to get more $ from us.

Pinned

Adam, I am sorry that this has been your experience with us. Please email me about any issues you may have regarding credits on your account. I can look into this and any recent calls you may of had with us. My email is wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you,

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupContract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2021

Horrible system, doesn’t work as advertised, numerous outages, particularly the call center features and reporting modules which seem to have been purchased by other companies and very poorly integrated. No support, high turn over, we must have had about 5 ‘customer advocates’ on 2 years, and I’m stuck on a 3 year contract with this company I willing to do anything about it. Sales, Installation were good, fast of course because they want your business .. but functionality, stability, servicing their product, and basically nonexistent feature set makes it an unviable product. Go with other vendors in this VOIP space and save yourself the headaches.

Pinned

Jamie, I hate to see that you've had such a poor experience and would like to help. Please email me your account information and I can have someone from our executive escalations team reach out directly.

Thanks!

Installation & SetupContract & TermsPrice

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2021

I mean there's the standard shady ISP stuff - refused to give me a copy of the contract, refused to install on inner wall despite charging me for that installation, rude, insulting people confident in their monopoly, tried to change the price on me by adding "services" without specifying what or how much only to find out they paywall basic router security measures built into the device, as well as the same functionality any Roku/Android box can do for 10 USD, whatever, hidden fees, extortion, stupid "We can't tell you what the taxes and fees on your bill will be" when signing up, all the nonsense.

But what it comes down to is this: Say you need a stable connection for work, because any disconnect will boot you from the program for security reasons. The internet loses connection every 5 minutes, on average. You, my friend, are SOL. There's nothing you can do, for very good security reasons, you can't do your job because Windstream is piggy-backing dilapidated DSL lines and you will lose connection, period. Not to mention the less frequent, but still a few times a day, outages of a few minutes, or the slightly less frequently, but more irritating, outages of an hour, and afternoon, who knows. You'll find out.

If you have literally any option, take the other option. If you don't? I'm organizing my neighborhood to petition other ISPs, and calling them every day asking them to come out here. We're going to get something else Windstream, you monopolistic so-and-sos. Just you watch. And you'll lose every customer all at once and deserve it. I've seen it happen before when ATT moved into my old town that only had Suddenlink.

I'm sure this review, as the others, will get a bot/form-letter response just so they can say they did something. Hey Windstream, you wanna do something? When I signed up you kept repeating that the federal government is giving out billions to build infrastructure, you were so proud of your windfall, how about you actually lay some dang fiber?

Hi Ailith,

I can see if we have any upgrades coming to your service area that you will be a part of. Please email me your account or telephone number to WINCanHelp@windstream.com. Thank you!

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2021

Our phone service was down for 2 weeks due to Windstream improperly configuring their router on premise. They troubleshot this with the phone vendor for 2 weeks before resolving. We lost potential business due to this outage, and they had no sense of urgency to resolve the problem.

Pinned

Hello Albert, I apologize this happened. Please send me your information so I can look into this issue and ensure it doesn't happen again. Thank you,

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed June 30, 2021

I had received an email from Windstream 5/4 with an offer to receive a monthly credit up to $50 because of a temporary gov't program which they indicated I was qualified to participate in. I've spent the last 2 mos. going back and forth with numerous representatives who, because of their incompetence, gave me very poor instructions. This resulted in ongoing promises that I am approved, but will receive an email when the credits begin... an email which never came. Because of their repeated instructions to re-apply, I was then dismissed by the program as I was classified as a 'Duplicate Subscriber'.

I finally learned that I never even needed to apply because I was automatically approved, though Windstream never applied any credits. Then, after calling Windstream headquarters and speaking with a couple of representatives there and giving them a list of everyone I had spoken with, the day we spoke, the case # I was given, the Application # I was given, etc., etc., this last rep finally was able to remove the 'hold', but only gave me $5.74 for a credit. They are the most incompetent representatives I have had to deal with in at least a decade. Horrible service. In addition, not only did they not offer a courtesy credit for 2 mos. of my time and energy of discovering how they had screwed everything up, no one even had the decency to offer an apology.

Pinned

Jude, please reach out to me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your documentation and account number so I can escalate your application. Thank you!

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPrice

Reviewed April 13, 2021

We had choice one/Windstream for phone lines only for nearly 20 years. Used to be affordable about $125/mo for three lines but service was always sketchy it took more than a day to get business lines back up! In the last couple of years prices steadily increased dramatically so we decided to switch carriers - did not sign a contract with Windstream so was month to month till we could get our new service hooked up, within the last couple of months the price increased to nearly $400.00/mo for three lines totally ripping me off! We had our numbers ported to a different carrier today so I called Windstream to cancel their services & was told I would be responsible to pay for services for an additional 45 days. Why would I want to pay for services I am not using. I do not have a contract with Windstream & do not believe I am responsible for any additional charges. They are totally trying to rip me off & strongly recommend not using Windstream for any services!!!!

Pinned

Frank, I apologize this has been your experience with us. I hope this has since been resolved. If not, please reach out to me at wincanhelp@windstream.com and I can see what we can do. Thanks, Maggie!

Price

Reviewed April 9, 2021

Windstream is the only DSL service company available for my address. The price keeps going up and in order to have the internet speed I need, I am STUCK! They gave me a $5 credit just to turn around and increase prices by $3.40 so thanks for the $1.60. I wish I could go to CenturyLink for their guaranteed rate!

Pinned

Amy, please reach out to me via wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I'll be in touch with what we can do to help resolve this. I apologize we haven't been in touch sooner. Thank you,

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2021

My lines has been on the ground since Feb 15 2021 due to ice and snowstorm. I have waited 3 days for a tech to come reinstall the wires back to the pole and to my home. The technician never shows and keeps canceling due to outage. No data. I have outage due to line tore off pole. But my neighbor got his service back 2 days ago.

Pinned

Hello Roberta! As a result of the ice storm and unprecedented flooding in Windstream’s service area, our customers have experienced extended voice and broadband outages.Windstream has worked in coordination with other utility providers in the area to restore power and network facilities, customers should start to see their services restore throughout this week and early next week. If you are still having issues with your service, please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com so I can assist.

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2020

It has now been 72 hours without my business phones and they don't seem to care! I have been on hold for 20 minutes waiting on an explanation! I do not recommend Windstream for any business!! And they just hung up on me.

Pinned

Steve, I apologize that this happened. Hopefully this has since resolved but if you still need assistance, I'd love to help. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information. Thank you, Maggie

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2020

I was told 3 days for a deposit refund back to my card. It's been 30 days. Customer service is pathetic. They lie to you to get you off of the phone. I was given 3 different answers...21 days, 28 days, and 1 to 3 days. The service is ok but if you call customer service plan on an hour.

Pinned

Jeffrey, I apologize about the delay in refund. I can check on the staus of this. Please email me your account # or telephone # at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thanks!

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2020

This has been my experience with this company. You call report an issue. People you talk to are very good they create a ticket. Windstream texts a time they are going to work on issues at least 2 weeks in future. You wait all day for them. At end of day they send another text saying it will be a different day. This happens several more times and you wasted more days. Then they text saying issues resolved. When in fact issues aren’t resolved and they did not show up. So back to calling in issues. They drag everything thing out for months. I wish I had other internet choices. I would recognize going with another company if you have the option.

Pinned

Francie, I apologize for the delay in your repair. Hopefully, we've been able to resolve. If you need assistance with your service or billing, please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you, Maggie

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed May 9, 2020

Own two businesses and have never left a bad review until now. Contract auto renews. Im paying $385 for phone service only. It will be $2,293 to get out of the auto renewed contract of which I have been a customer for close to 7 years paying this crazy rate. Their solution, “we will reduce your monthly to $150.” I think I have paid the 2k with overpaying $235 per month for 6+ years. I would never treat my customers this way. Called 2 years ago to try and get out and it was going to be $6,000 no lower rate. Unbelievable! You don’t treat your customers this way.

Pinned

Hello Brett! I can have our team take a look at your contact to see if anything can be done in regards to your rate or services. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com for assistance with this. Thanks! - Maggie

Reviewed May 7, 2020

I had to close my Salon as of 4/29/2020 in Ft. Lauderdale Fla. I called Windstream to disconnect my phone service. Today I got a bill for May 2020, I dialed my salon number and it just rang, not disconnected. My husband called customer service and asked why we got a bill when the service was supposed to be disconnected. They replied we were responsible for the bill until they disconnect it. How is that possible or even allowed. The service was terrible anyway. Always going out.

Pinned

HI Kathleen! I'm so sorry that your business continued to bill after your disconnection. I can have someone take a look at your account to ensure all of the proper adjustments have been made to your account. Please email me your information at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you! - Maggie

Reviewed April 15, 2020

After 10 months of off and on Internet service, speeds as low as 2mbps and constant drop-offs I left. Now, WS is refusing to release my tel number of 18 yrs to my new carrier. I've been forced to file an FCC complaint, so that I can get my number back. Terrible company!

Pinned

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you've made the decision to leave. Wndstream cannot legally refuse to release your number so I'd like to look into this matter to see what is holding up the request. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your telephone number for assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 31, 2020

We are a medical office and I'm always calling for VoIP repair services. The last two times I've had to call the service was horrible. These people don't care. It's been several days now, still not fixed.

Pinned

Hello Sheresa. I'm sorry that you're having repeat issues with your VoIP service. Please send me your information via wincanhelp@windstream.com and I will ensure someone contacts you from our office. Thank you, Maggie

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2020

Our company placed an order for internet/phone service in 11/2019 as we were moving on 1/1/2020. The order included porting our current lines from Comcast to Windstream. Everything "should" have been ready to go on 1/3/2020. We received internet service the second week of January. It is now a few days away from MARCH and still our phones have not been ported. All we get is excuses and delays. Luckily we still have the Comcast service at our old facility so we are able to transfer 1/2 our calls to a cell phone, but we still can not receive calls directly. If we wouldn't still be paying for Comcast we may be close to being out of business.

We are now being charge by Windstream for services we can not use and also have to keep paying for Comcast to keep communication with our customers. Soon time to get the company lawyers involved. Windstream unfortunately was one of our only options since Comcast doesn't have service in this area. Also, ironically Windstream is literally our next door neighbor. BOTTOM LINE: If you have other options such as Comcast - by all means use them.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed May 1, 2019

I had a phone installed in June 2018 due to having no cell phone service in my location. The technician that installed the phone left the phone line on top of the ground and said someone would be coming to bury it underground. After phoning Windstream three times over the next several months and getting excuses that they were behind my husband finally buried the line himself. We still have not gotten a call or any response on this issue and it has been almost a year! Now over the past few months our line keeps dropping calls and we often can’t get a dial tone.

My sister-in-law’s phone (who lives across the street) is doing the same thing. I phoned them last Friday and the representative told me I would get a call by Saturday from someone to set an appointment. It’s Wednesday and I still haven’t heard anything. I just had surgery yesterday and am home alone and could not call for assistance if I needed to. I phoned Windstream back today and went thru the automated report and was given a date of May 9th! I then spoke with a representative and was told the ticket (from last week and today) was still open but they could not give me a time of expected repair. I have never dealt with such poor customer service and will definitely be looking for other options for phone service.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2019

This is a terrible company that takes advantage of you every way possible. They were charging our church $240/month for VOIP service! We finally switched to Phone.com for $140/year! How could a company do that? Not to mention when I called to disconnect, they said there is a 30 day notice, meaning they were going to charge us for two more months of service, despite the fact that we were just a few days into a new month. Good companies would be giving you a pro-rated refund for the rest of the month rather than charging you for the whole month and an additional one. Unethical business practices to say the least. Do not even consider this company.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed May 25, 2018

I will NEVER work with this company again. Constant tickets with services down, lack of urgency in customer service. NO ONE speaks clear English, Allison the sales rep only gives a damn about making sales, once you're a customer don't call her for help she will laugh in your face! This is a terrible company. Please stay away from them.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2017

I placed an order to have my internet speed increased from 6 Mbps to 12 Mbps in September of 2016. It is now February 24 2017 and I am STILL WAITING. I've been told that the engineer has to do something to the box down the road to make space to put more "pins" in to accommodate the higher speed. My service was scheduled to be installed at the beginning of February but wasn't. I called to talk to a supervisor and was told one would call me back, but nobody ever did. I did receive an automated call telling me that my service was rescheduled to be installed on February 24 2017, and the day has come and gone and nothing, no phone call, nada.

I just got off the phone with them, and they are still giving me the same reason - the engineer has to make changes to the box. I asked the rep why was I even scheduled for installation if the engineer hadn't been out here yet, and she couldn't tell me. I asked for an email address to place a formal complaint and she said they don't have one. Yeah right. Supposedly, a supervisor will call me tomorrow. It will be a miracle if I hear from anyone. Windstream is lousy. I wish there was another choice, but in this small town, they are the only game around and they know it. This is why they get away with this. I wish Bright House or some other competitor would come in here. I would drop Windstream like a bad habit. 5 months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2016

Our entire corporate phone system has been completely down 7 times in 2 months. They seem to be more concerned about me getting a "ticket number" than solving the damn problem. The technicians get it fixed eventually but as I am paying for advertising plus a plethora of employees to sit on their butts with no money coming in. It's like someone taking a vacuum cleaner and sucking the money out of your checking account while not getting a paycheck. I'm done Windstream. Bye bye.

Reviewed April 8, 2016

We are a small company and recently learned our 888 number was not working. I contacted Windstream to have the line repaired. They told me they no longer have that number, that it was ported over to Verizon in December. This port over was never requested of us and we don't have an account with Verizon. I assumed Windstream made a mistake, no surprise there, and contacted Verizon.

After several conversations with Verizon I was told they do not service our 888 number nor do they even service small business in NC. I tried to communicate this to Windstream but they would not listen and did not offer any assistance, again, no surprise. I put in the port over request back to WS in hopes they would figure this out. Now they are asking for a bill from Verizon. I explained, yet again, We don't have a bill since we don't have a Verizon account and suggested they call Verizon to find out what is going on. They said they cannot call Verizon directly. I have asked them for any suggestions in how I can get this corrected but they offer none. If anyone has any suggestions on where I go from here I would appreciate it.

My advice is NEVER sign a contract with WS. They have horrible service and will put you through the wringer every time you call. I asked for a supervisor to speak with and was told they could not give me an address or email but put me through to Reginald's voice mail. Naturally, we never heard back from Reginald. I don't know how to resolve this issue.

Windstream VoIP Company Information