3.9/5 (136 ratings)

About Windstream VoIP

Windstream’s VoIP provides businesses with reliable internet and phone services. Windstream has multiple plan options for businesses with different needs, including unlimited local and long-distance calling and advanced calling features.

Windstream VoIP Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream VoIP?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream VoIP?

Original review: June 11, 2022

I had a internet and home phone bundle.. $50 for internet and $20 for a phone line. I never used the phone line and request for it to be taken off. It was not taken off both times that I called, after being told they would remove the line I was still being charged $20 a months. I was paying over $85 a month after tax... They couldn't simply remove the phone line.. so they changed my service from $50 for the same internet and speed to $67 (additional $17) then credited me $17 for one year.. So basically for one year I will pay $49.99 plus tax and then will be charged the same price as internet and phone... They have loopholes to keep you paying the price that they want you to pay. *** Also if you look at their internet plans they advertise starting at $29 a month.. They told me a $50 plan is the cheapest available to me. Ridiculous!

Windstream VoIP response

Kayla, I'd like to look into this and ensure that you're receiving the best pricing we have. Please email me your account number to wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Thank You!

Original review: June 10, 2022

When I first got service my download and upload speed was the same (238mps) as I have a fiber optic wire. About one month ago my upload speed dropped to 100 and then to 40 then to 20 and back to 40 or 50. Some days it is only 20. When your technicians, Roy and Paul, came out to fix it, they did all they could to try to fix my upload speed. But they could not solve the problem. They changed the modem and the white transfer box and that did not fix it. Paul said a tech told him the problem is in the line itself, which makes sense because when my upload speed dropped from one day to the next, I had the same modem and same white box. Now, either there is a problem in the line or I am being throttled. I would appreciate it if someone would fix this. If not, I will have to complain to the Better Business Bureau and online and start to find another Internet provider.

Windstream VoIP response

Hi Richard, please email me with a previous ticket number or account number and I'd be happy to get local management involved. Thank you!

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2022

They gave me the hardest time to cancel and continued debiting our business accounts after the services were no longer in use. They continued to give me the run around about the refund and I spent numerous hours and emails almost a year just to get refunded a third of what they took.

Windstream VoIP response

Marlene, I am sorry that this was your experience. I've answered another complaint with my direct contact information if you'd like to discuss further. Thank you,

Original review: March 18, 2022

Windstream can't seem to get their billing straight, and when they botched things up, they threaten to disconnect service. They are completely unprofessional and rude. Their agents call daily looking for more $ when we have a credit. Their agents don't put notes in their system, so every time we converse, we have to start from the beginning. So far many hours of wasted time speaking to their staff has done nothing but put us behind on our own work. It's almost like they do this on purpose to get more $ from us.

Windstream VoIP response

Adam, I am sorry that this has been your experience with us. Please email me about any issues you may have regarding credits on your account. I can look into this and any recent calls you may of had with us. My email is wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you,

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Horrible system, doesn’t work as advertised, numerous outages, particularly the call center features and reporting modules which seem to have been purchased by other companies and very poorly integrated. No support, high turn over, we must have had about 5 ‘customer advocates’ on 2 years, and I’m stuck on a 3 year contract with this company I willing to do anything about it. Sales, Installation were good, fast of course because they want your business .. but functionality, stability, servicing their product, and basically nonexistent feature set makes it an unviable product. Go with other vendors in this VOIP space and save yourself the headaches.

Windstream VoIP response

Jamie, I hate to see that you've had such a poor experience and would like to help. Please email me your account information and I can have someone from our executive escalations team reach out directly.

Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I mean there's the standard shady ISP stuff - refused to give me a copy of the contract, refused to install on inner wall despite charging me for that installation, rude, insulting people confident in their monopoly, tried to change the price on me by adding "services" without specifying what or how much only to find out they paywall basic router security measures built into the device, as well as the same functionality any Roku/Android box can do for 10 USD, whatever, hidden fees, extortion, stupid "We can't tell you what the taxes and fees on your bill will be" when signing up, all the nonsense.

But what it comes down to is this: Say you need a stable connection for work, because any disconnect will boot you from the program for security reasons. The internet loses connection every 5 minutes, on average. You, my friend, are SOL. There's nothing you can do, for very good security reasons, you can't do your job because Windstream is piggy-backing dilapidated DSL lines and you will lose connection, period. Not to mention the less frequent, but still a few times a day, outages of a few minutes, or the slightly less frequently, but more irritating, outages of an hour, and afternoon, who knows. You'll find out.

If you have literally any option, take the other option. If you don't? I'm organizing my neighborhood to petition other ISPs, and calling them every day asking them to come out here. We're going to get something else Windstream, you monopolistic so-and-sos. Just you watch. And you'll lose every customer all at once and deserve it. I've seen it happen before when ATT moved into my old town that only had Suddenlink.

I'm sure this review, as the others, will get a bot/form-letter response just so they can say they did something. Hey Windstream, you wanna do something? When I signed up you kept repeating that the federal government is giving out billions to build infrastructure, you were so proud of your windfall, how about you actually lay some dang fiber?

Hi Ailith,

I can see if we have any upgrades coming to your service area that you will be a part of. Please email me your account or telephone number to WINCanHelp@windstream.com. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Our phone service was down for 2 weeks due to Windstream improperly configuring their router on premise. They troubleshot this with the phone vendor for 2 weeks before resolving. We lost potential business due to this outage, and they had no sense of urgency to resolve the problem.

Windstream VoIP response

Hello Albert, I apologize this happened. Please send me your information so I can look into this issue and ensure it doesn't happen again. Thank you,

Original review: June 30, 2021

I had received an email from Windstream 5/4 with an offer to receive a monthly credit up to $50 because of a temporary gov't program which they indicated I was qualified to participate in. I've spent the last 2 mos. going back and forth with numerous representatives who, because of their incompetence, gave me very poor instructions. This resulted in ongoing promises that I am approved, but will receive an email when the credits begin... an email which never came. Because of their repeated instructions to re-apply, I was then dismissed by the program as I was classified as a 'Duplicate Subscriber'.

I finally learned that I never even needed to apply because I was automatically approved, though Windstream never applied any credits. Then, after calling Windstream headquarters and speaking with a couple of representatives there and giving them a list of everyone I had spoken with, the day we spoke, the case # I was given, the Application # I was given, etc., etc., this last rep finally was able to remove the 'hold', but only gave me $5.74 for a credit. They are the most incompetent representatives I have had to deal with in at least a decade. Horrible service. In addition, not only did they not offer a courtesy credit for 2 mos. of my time and energy of discovering how they had screwed everything up, no one even had the decency to offer an apology.

Windstream VoIP response

Jude, please reach out to me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your documentation and account number so I can escalate your application. Thank you!

Original review: April 13, 2021

We had choice one/Windstream for phone lines only for nearly 20 years. Used to be affordable about $125/mo for three lines but service was always sketchy it took more than a day to get business lines back up! In the last couple of years prices steadily increased dramatically so we decided to switch carriers - did not sign a contract with Windstream so was month to month till we could get our new service hooked up, within the last couple of months the price increased to nearly $400.00/mo for three lines totally ripping me off! We had our numbers ported to a different carrier today so I called Windstream to cancel their services & was told I would be responsible to pay for services for an additional 45 days. Why would I want to pay for services I am not using. I do not have a contract with Windstream & do not believe I am responsible for any additional charges. They are totally trying to rip me off & strongly recommend not using Windstream for any services!!!!

Windstream VoIP response

Frank, I apologize this has been your experience with us. I hope this has since been resolved. If not, please reach out to me at wincanhelp@windstream.com and I can see what we can do. Thanks, Maggie!

Original review: April 9, 2021

Windstream is the only DSL service company available for my address. The price keeps going up and in order to have the internet speed I need, I am STUCK! They gave me a $5 credit just to turn around and increase prices by $3.40 so thanks for the $1.60. I wish I could go to CenturyLink for their guaranteed rate!

Windstream VoIP response

Amy, please reach out to me via wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I'll be in touch with what we can do to help resolve this. I apologize we haven't been in touch sooner. Thank you,

Windstream VoIP author review by Ellen Muraskin

Windstream VoIP offers services to Fortune 500 companies as well as emerging and established businesses.

• Customized services: Windstream representatives assess each new business to determine what services will best meet that business' needs prior to setting up VoIP services.

• Additional services: Hosted Voice is only one of the many managed services provided by Windstream. See also MPLS and wireless networking, managed security, storage and network access to third-party clouds, including Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.

• Available across North America: VoIP has over 115,000 fiber route miles, meaning businesses can get service anywhere in America and Canada.

• Communication features: Windstream provides unified communications/collaboration features, web, voice and video conferencing and call center functionality.

• 24/7 service monitoring: Businesses can troubleshoot problems and order repair services at any time of the day or night.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Windstream VoIP Company Information