1.10/5
Based on 10 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

10 Verizon VoIP Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We are a local phone system provider in NYC and Long Island for over 20 years, and can provide a local, transformative, and consistently good experience in carefully replacing the messes shown above. I am the owner here with my own full-time staff and a real office and tech center, dedicated to VoIP and Hybrid VoIP phone systems. We can reuse the Verizon internet portion of your account, to clean up the mess and make you very, very happy. We can be reached toll-free at 888-NYC-VoIP, option 2 (that's 888-692-8647, option 2). NOT A REVIEW.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We are a small non-profit and had Verizon FIOS for our Business Internet and TV and had two analog Phone Lines. We had 8x8 as our phone provider. We expanded our office staff and needed additional lines and spoke to Verizon Sales and asked if: They could give us similar service to 8x8 with customizable phone menus and they said yes. We asked if we could use our existing equipment since it is the same as what is being sold by Verizon, they said sure, it just needs a firmware update. We asked if they could port our number without disrupting our day to day business, they said yes.

Four months later, and 6 failed work orders and we are nearly working again. They took 4 months to port our number. We had numerous phone outages. The technicians do not know how to set up the phone features. They call Verizon Business digital support or they say watch a Video for instructions. I really wish we could back out of our contract and go back to 8x8 or to Comcast.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: July 18, 2018

This is by far the worst business phone service out there. I am going on my third day without service and this is by far ridiculous. I called and they said the network is down but my gosh are you kidding me not for businesses. I cannot afford to be down so many days and have lost compensation especially back during my busy season back in February and then now again but this time going on three days. The supervisor I talked to was supposed to call me back when I asked for reimbursement of the cost of those crappy phones and never received a callback nor service back yet. Verizon just needs to stick to cell phones and leave the business telephone service to the other well known carriers like AT&T.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Verizon messed up our lines. We hear a double dial tone on the phone lines. A ticket was created. We received a message with a ticket number that a ticket has been created and it will be resolved. The next day we received a message that the ticket is already resolved. No one ever showed up and the lines are not working. Today is Thursday. The lines are still not working since Monday. When we call in Verizon, they say the ticket is already closed. We lost a lot of business the entire week because of this and we are still losing money. We need the lines to be fixed asap and we want a compensation for the entire week that our internet and phone lines are not working. We lost a lot of money and a lot of customers that were unable to reach us walked away from us.

Original review: June 11, 2018

For almost a year we were having issues with our Phone service with dropping of calls. So we were looking at Verizon since we felt they were the big boy in the room and we would have more consistent and reliable service. The system we had was a business system with auto attendant, Greeting and Options when numbers is called before call is answered by a live person, with Music and messages on hold and the same full features as most large business use when people contact them. When we contacted Verizon, we informed them of the System we had in place and the company we used for this service. The salesperson said Verizon new VOIP service was exactly the same with one difference, they would come out and install the system and have if fully functional whereas the service we presently had was a customer based install and set-up was done by phone.

Pricing was also misrepresented. 4 install attempts were scheduled and confirmed. The 1st was canceled by Verizon, stating the equipment was on back order. The next appointment Verizon tech arrived, and we were informed that he only got the phones operational, it was our responsibility to set up the system. So we then contacted Verizon and was bounced around from department to department, each one giving us different information, one was billing which we were told the price the sales rep quoted us was almost $ 60.00 less than what our monthly bill would actually be. At that point we requested to cancel, and was switched to their Retention dept and we sent the tech on his way.

The Rep in the retention department was able to get credits applied to the account to match the price quoted, and then informed us he would have a tech sent out who would set up the auto attendant, music on hold so the system would be fully functional, but it would have to be rescheduled another week, he discovered the number being ported over was not released by the other carrier, so we rescheduled for the following week. On the 3 attempt, we called Verizon when the new tech arrived as to confirm our number was released by the other carrier and was told yes. This tech also stated he does not set up the Auto attendant or music on hold, so again back on calls to Verizon.

But decided to have the Tech proceed with getting the phones system installed. The Tech had the phones up and working within 15 minutes, but then ran into difficulties getting the number ported over, he spent over 1 1/2 hours on hold with Verizon's department that handled the porting over only to find the number was not released. He then reconnected our old service as to be able to maintain service with those numbers, and left. Again we were bounced around from department to department with different information provide by each department, and again we asked for the retention department. The woman in the retention department apologized profusely for all the issues, and was told she would get it resolved and get us up and running, after about 1/2 hour she informed us the number was not released and it would take a few days, she stated she would stay on top of it and keep me posted.

We never heard back from her, but almost a week later we received a text confirming an appointment for Friday of that week. Although I was out of town I decided to confirm that appointment, and had our office Manager be present. The Tech showed up and got the number ported over and contacted me as for my Log in information as to set up the Auto attendant and Music on hold, Since I was out of town and this information was not at hand I was not sure of the login information, and gave him what I thought might be it, but he tried but was unsuccessful signing into our online portal. So he left information for me to use as to set it up. NOTE: If we were informed prior I could have had the correct information there but Verizon communications are basically non-existent. Final Straw. Upon my return, I logged in, and the online portal at best was developed by Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory.

I do have a Network Engineering Degree and could not figure it out. SO after 3 attempts I called Verizon Business number the Tech left, and we still had problems, so she remotely accessed my computer, and she had problems, it took about 20 minutes until she was able to get us barely up and running. I then asked how to get the auto attendant initial greeting and to ask questions "Such as Press one for this department". She informed me that this system does not offer that type of service. I was informed when a call comes in and is not answered, it goes directly to a Recorded message instructing the caller to leave a message. Music on hold only works when a Call is answered and placed on hold. So in the end I was misled this was not a true business system, as the one I left. I will update my post.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon VoIP?

Original review: May 10, 2018

I work at a businesses that has 10 various Verizon accounts, ip addresses, phone lines wireless accounts, there seems to be no coordination in the company for a representative to assist with all accounts. They just throw you from one person or dept to another and can't help. They have misplaced billing payments to the wrong accounts and then they will send you an e-mail stating they will cut off your service. They will willingly have 100 people ready to set up a new account, but not one person to help with your current accounts. So badly I wish there was another phone provider in the area. I would pay them extra money for better service. Verizon is a nightmare my worst nightmare.

Original review: March 15, 2017

We tried Verizon for our business phone service which had been landlines. We have always thought our cell phone service was great so hoped for the same with the business phones. Forget it!!! The phones do not roll from line to line, there is a huge delay, when it starts ringing and you answer, you have to wait a few seconds for it to connect before you start speaking, otherwise people think there is no one on the line, as you may said your greeting but the connection had not yet been made, so you hear, hello? Hello?! Same with dialing out, you dial and sit and watch the phone make these peaked lines for what seems like an eternity before you finally hear a ring. The sound is terrible, people think you sound underwater, and because of the delay you talk over each other. Extremely frustrating!!! They do not have the bugs worked out of this system yet! SAY NO!!!

Original review: June 21, 2016

I called Verizon customer service a few times the past month about trying not to get my phone lines interrupted so I set up a payment arrangement and secured my family phone lines. As of 06/21/2016 they shut off my phone and now they gonna charge an extra 300.00 to reconnect them. Before I thought I was doing good paying on time and I receive a text message stating that I owed late fee which was $165.00 and I even downgraded the family plan from 3gb to 1 gb. The monthly bill never changed it was still the same. This has happen to me before and I'm tired dealing with Verizon representative. Ain't no way I'm gonna pay for the late fee that I was not aware of.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

When I first signed up for services I was informed I was unable to use my work discount because of rate! However as long as I kept my phone service they would take ten off of my bill every month! But when I got my bill of course it wasn't done. When I called and spoke with a manager I appreciate him giving me a one time 60 credit but I still feel that's not fair because I was under the assumption that I would get the ten off! And at that time I was within my cancellation period, I could have cancelled.

Original review: April 27, 2012

We went to Verizon to update a phone and purchased the iPhone 4S and some accessories. We were shown the digital home phone, and we were told about the 14-day return policy. They opened the box. They didn't tell us about the restocking fee, until we returned it. It's not right; it's not something you do to an existing customer.

Verizon VoIP expert review by Ellen Muraskin

One of the top wireless telecom and Internet service providers in the United States, Verizon offers customized VoIP services for businesses.​

• Verizon for small businesses: Verizon's small business VoIP offering combines on-site installation, voice and data up to 100 MB, equipment configuration, 24 x 7 service and remote technical support for 25 lines or fewer. Service-Level Agreement includes a four-hour time to repair for first-priority support calls.

• Keep your PBX or key system: Business Connection works with existing PBX or key systems.

• Other features: Verizon also offers Web, Voice and Video Collaboration tools, with a pricing model that can be based on ports rather than minutes.

• Use with WebEx: Verizon's Unified Communications services partner with Cisco's WebEx, for meetings that can share documents, chats, and video as well as voice and integrate with attendees' calendars.

• Global reach: As a major telco, Verizon can supply emergency, directory and operator services for VoIP customers in the U.S. and in 15 countries in Europe and Asia.

• Simplifies operations: Verizon offers bundled services such as Internet access points for Wi-Fi along with VoIP, making it easier for businesses to streamline and simplify operations.

• Consultants available: Users can consult with Verizon representatives to determine the best services for them prior to purchasing a customized VoIP and related services package.

• Best for: Small businesses and large businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Verizon VoIP Company Information