toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I initially got Total Merchant because I was looking for a minor fee associated with credit card processing and better ways of doing it other than accepting cash and not really any credit processing. We've had Total Merchant Services for a month and a half now and they've been extremely helpful and valuable to my company.

We have significantly benefitted from the devices that they offer for free with our account. They're integrating their system into the company, office, building or commercial area. Then, their generalized fee per transaction amount is very excellent. though they're doing very good, we all get our little hiccups with the service. I'm still trying to get the correct name when a transaction goes on a credit or debit card. It shows my business and what is put on that statement but it's not spelled out correctly and it has repeated points that are not done correctly. I've been trying to reach out to somebody to get it taken care of among the other things.

Total Merchant Services called and offered me a better rate than what I had. The couple of different people I spoke with were all very helpful, easy to talk to and answered all the questions. I have them since middle of November and their fees are cheaper so I'm saving some money.

With Total Merchant Services, we've received our funding in a timely fashion and I don't have to worry about getting the money that people are using their cards for, about how quick is it going to come and if I'm gonna get the proper amount. I hang up on other companies that said they'll give me a price quote or asked me to send our month's or two month's billing and hope that Total Merchant Services are giving me the best deal in town and that everything's going like it's supposed to.

I have always been pleased with the company. I had a client asked if their payment had been processed and because of the discounting, I looked at one number that we put down and then at my bank account and there's another number. It was close but the dates were fine. I wanted to verify that and found out that I was using a wrong website but Total Merchant Services corrected me. They gave me all the information and the person I spoke with was excellent. She was kind, understanding and led me right through to go to the new website and showed me where to check a couple of things.

Also, I had called to ask if we could possibly have individualized accounting. We don't have a high volume of clients so I felt like it would be good if we had the terminal saying one came in at $6.20 and another came in at $2,000 so I can see three, four or five a day coming in, and a young lady walked me through and stuck with me as she updated the terminal and everything was great.

I have some equipment from Total Merchant Services. We have the Groovv POS - the compact, all in one. It's the cash drawer and printer in one. Then, it has the tablet and the terminal off to the side. Then, I have another one that is an actual cash drawer, the printer is separate and the tablet goes with it. I don't know what's going on with the latter, but it interrupts the whole Groovv system. It wants me to download Uber and all these other stuff. Then, the cash drawer will pop open then, all the cash is exposed within that drawer and it prints out a receipt all on its own repeatedly. It keeps happening to the point where I don't even keep the printer on anymore. Only when I need to. It has been replaced once, but I'm ready to send it sailing out the front door.

Then the other one has startup issues. It will boot up, and then it will shut down, and then I'll have to go through the whole boot up or I get another time right away. It takes forever sending a signal to the terminal. Sometimes, I have to reboot the entire system because it won't send it to the terminal. We'll sit here and wait until it comes back and says that the request has been denied or says it can't send it at this time. Then, as soon as I reboot the system, it works right away. But have to all the way back through those reboot procedures and shut the tablet completely down. I get customers that are standing here for five minutes waiting on to pay.

Another huge problem is that these two devices do not talk. It's nice being able to automatically track my sales and things of that nature. Especially, when it comes time to file for quarterly taxes. But the fact that the two systems don't talk and the glitches that are going on with both of them, it's a complete headache. I like having the systems here. It brings a certain amount of professionalism to my barber shop. But these problems make me very dissatisfied with it.

Factual basis uncertain

Total Merchant Services

Superior customer service is our #1 objective as we make every effort to ensure an excellent customer experience. Accordingly, if our merchant’s expectations are not met, it is imperative we understand and address any issues. When this account was opened in June of 2011 the fees and rates assessed were those signed for and agreed to by the merchant. The signed agreement states that the merchant has thirty (30) days from the date of a specific billing charge to dispute any fee the merchant deems to be erroneous. Timely notification could have occurred within thirty (30), sixty (60), or even ninety (90) days. The service generates a monthly billing charge unless the merchant requests to have the account closed. Additionally, cancellation of an account would require a signed cancellation form or a conversation with the primary owner of the account. Neither procedure has ever occurred. Following the cancellation of an account the merchant would receive a cancellation confirmation as well as a return label to return any outstanding equipment (if necessary.) These would serve as proof of cancellation for the merchant. The lack of confirmation of closure as well as continued billing charges on a monthly basis would serve as an alert to the merchant that the account was still open. The merchant advised they did see the billing charge on their statement however it was disregarded. Monthly statements are available online and can also be mailed per the merchant's request. Per call logs and history on the merchant's account, communication regarding any inquiry to the billing charges was not received. In fact, the merchant has never called into our corporate office to discuss their merchant account. The account was closed effective May 26, 2016 by our Financial Solutions Department. In no way has our company acted fraudulently. However, as a courtesy, we have waived the outstanding balance of $80.42.

Please let us know if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Customer Support

Total Merchant

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

We have terminated service. They then charged our account again. We contacted bank and got charges reversed. TMS then changed their name ACH and charged again. Bank deemed fraud. Now in collection...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

I needed a company that has EBT transaction for a mobile unit, so we reached out to Total Merchant Services. I've been working with them for a year now and so far, they've been fantastic. I couldn't find anybody better. I've had other credit card companies, but they're the one that's been the most honest with me. So, I deal with them and would definitely recommend them.

Oscar, the person who handles our accounts, was with my old bank. I already knew him and he’s a really good person. If I ever have a problem, he’s a phone call or a text away. He was the biggest reason we went with Total Merchant Services. There were a lot of other people trying to get our accounts and they’ve been trying to beat the price and everything else, however, I say they can’t beat the service that Oscar provides. He’s that top of a service person. He’s very dedicated, knowledgeable, and anything that we have a question about and when we need to make a change, he’s right on it. If my employees have a problem, he would be patient and walked them through whatever the situation was. In fact, I see him once a year when I’m down at Key West. I got to have lunch with him the other day when we were down there. It was good to see him.

I've been working with Total Merchant Services for at least 15 years. We had our bank process our credit cards to start with. And then Oscar was working with another bank, and he said he can do our account even though we're not with the same bank. That’s how we started. Any time there’s been any problem, it’s been addressed. Ever since we did the last change a couple of years ago, my deposit records are a lot easier, and that was one of the things that was always complicated. Sometimes, getting paid for American Express can be four days later on the deposit draw, but it's because we never had any chargebacks or any problem that now it just shows when we batch out the next day, that deposit goes in. Instead of something missing and we try to figure it out at the end of the month.

Oscar was the one that pulled that off for us. It gets confusing when we do $20,000 in sales in October and we can’t figure out what we got paid for yet. So, I’m really happy about that part. It makes my life easier because that’s all I do. I do the books now once a week and it takes me 15 minutes, which is really fast. My experience has been perfect, and I recommend Total Merchant Services to people who are about to start a company, especially if they’re with Square. I tell them they can get them a better rate and it’s a lot more secure. Also, it doesn’t matter where they’re based at, they can do it anywhere they want to.

So far, my experience with Total Merchant Services has been wonderful. I've been working with them since June and they're really valuable to our company. They're doing what they're supposed to do and the customer service is great.

Total Merchant Services have great customer service background and they're very professional. They walked us through each step, made sure we understood and if we didn’t they would repeat it which the average person gets impatient to have to repeat so many times. So far, we've been working with them for two months now. We still are new with them, but within the next three to six months it’ll probably be more worth the savings.

I wasn’t happy with the service I had, and when Total Merchant Services came to me, they gave me a better deal so I went with them. Their customer service team has been very good. Anytime I've had a problem or something, I call them up and they take care of me. I could always wish for lower card fees, but they’ve been good. I'm quite satisfied.

Total Merchant Services reached out to us, and they're better than the other offers we had so we went with them. Anytime we call their customer service, our problems have been solved right on time. We're satisfied with their services so far.

We've been with Total Merchant Services since 2009. They've been very valuable to our company. A lot of people want to use their debit cards now instead of writing checks and paying cash. I never had any problems with their customer service. Everything works really smoothly.

The people at Total Merchant Services are helpful when I call. They get my problem taken care of. They help me get through it even if they have to walk me through it. In fact, I forgot a password and they fixed it for me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer
Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2016

After posting this review I received a call from Total Merchant Services and said they'd refund 6 months of fees, which they did.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I've been with this company for many years (6+) and found them to be somewhat honest up until the point that I went paperless with them. To them, "paperless" also means "notification-less" as well. I was not emailed with notification when statements were available, or when PCI compliance was expiring or SAQ was due, or when they discontinued access to the original online portal and moved to a new system, or when any material changes to the account were made.

The short story is that I was eventually being billed almost $35 each month between 2 fees. After I told them I wanted those fees refunded and to close my account, I was told that fees would not be refunded if I was going to close the account. After the customer service initiated the closure, he intentionally hung up on me in mid-sentence.

Total Merchant Services is great. I was with them before years ago and had a good experience. I went back with them to have them process my sales and because I had decided not to do the credit cards. Customer service is very informative and seem to be quite knowledgeable. Plus, they answer the phone, which is nice, because so many are automated and I don't like that. When you ask questions and they're not sure, they research it and then get back to you quickly, so that's good service. I really like them.

Total Merchant is an asset that I couldn't live without right now. 90% of our sales nowadays is credit card so without them, I would not be doing as much business. It's a good company and has been here for a long time. They're established. I don't worry ever with the safety and their updated format. I also like that we can send our customer the location of where they purchased something which gives them the confidence. They also can understand the statement or when I send them their receipt, I can add a little text which the customers and I really appreciate. It's a feature I find exceptional.

My mother-in-law told me about Total Merchant Services and she said they were really good. So far, we've been working with them for 3 years and it's good. I haven't had any problems. We recently updated our machine to read chip cards and it's fine so far. But I noticed the price goes up every year and I don’t get rate reductions like I was promised. I've had several people say they're going to open up the case file and go over the rates but not once have I ever had a response.

Then I had a guy call me yesterday and he said that he was going to be in here tomorrow for about five minutes to give me a brief survey. He said he's the district manager of my area and I have no clue why he's coming in or what he wants to talk about. I don't know if that’s legit or a scam. There's something sketchy about it so I'm not going to let him touch my terminal. He would have to give me some updates or notifications or whatnot.

I wanted my business to be able to accept credit cards. I signed up with Total Merchant Services and it worked out good, but it felt like some things were left out or was misunderstood about the price and how much I have to spend. I've had the experience of dealing with a PayPal similar card reader and the one from Total Merchant was accurate. But on the down end, with my business being seasonal and just starting to take off, the fee was too much. Basically, I was stuck with a bill that would be there for the next six months until it gets warm again Chicago.

The service is extremely valuable, but I only made 70 bucks last time. It went straight to my account then about 30 days later, I checked my account and Total Merchant took $63 from me. So technically, I only made $7. I spent my money on my merchandise and then I only get a percentage back off of that money. When I called to discuss it, the rep told me that there were different fees for different cards and things of that nature.

I love the fact that I'm able to insert chip cards, swipe the cards, being able to give the receipt, and the receipts having the business name. All that stuff was a hell of a bonus. But I was still in the advertisement stage of my business and it's costing me a great fortune. Maybe next season I may have a thousand customers. But if I don't, I don't want to be stuck with a fee. I was satisfied because of the fact that they did everything that I asked, but it's just expensive.

We sat down with one of Total Merchant's salespersons and we found that the whole program was too convenient to pass up. Money goes straight to the bank, and it's done all in a day. It's easier to balance at the end of the month. The few questions that we called in after installation have been answered promptly, and we can always reach somebody. It's also easy to work with them online. We've only had them for three months but they have been valuable and I see a lot down the road. I've also recommended them to other businesses.

Total Merchant Services was very helpful in what I needed. We wanted support on how to force the sale and the girl I dealt with was fantastic and very friendly. I needed the question answered and she was able to help me. My experience with them was very cut and dry.

Total Merchant was referred to me by a friend who has their services and I've been with them for five months. Their people are nice, but sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to get to process it to the account. But we get customer satisfaction because of them since I do a lot of travelers and business people who pay with credit cards. They are very valuable to our company because my customers ask for them.

I've been with Total Merchant Services since when I was starting up 9 years ago, and at that time they had some of the better rates and offers for the machines. Once when our machine went down, they were prompt with it since they overnighted and we got it the next day. I just wish they wouldn’t charge for paper statements though.

We've been very happy with the service from Total Merchant Services. We had heard they would be less expensive than the one we started with, and they were. There's been a problem or two and it seems they've sorted things out.

I started a new business and I needed some method by which to collect money from clients. Right after I started the business with Total Merchant Services, I had kidney failure and I've been in the hospital ever since so I haven't really done anything with it. But it's a service I hope to keep. We'll see if it turns out to be effective. Everything seems fine so far.

Our last company's fees were too high. With Total Merchant Services, it's easy to get a hold of my rep when I need something. He returns my call right away. They're awesome.

Everything’s been great with Total Merchant Services. We wanted a machine that we could swipe credit cards on since we didn’t have one in the past. We ran through QuickBooks on a computer with our Intuit Merchant Services, but we added a physical location. I had asked Intuit if they would give me a swiper but they were gonna charge me $70-some for it. I had been using QuickBooks and paying their fees for 13 years with Intuit Services so it’s ridiculous. I was pissed so I told them that I’ll find somebody else. That's when I found Total Merchant Services and we've been working with them for a couple of years now. I have people who walk-in to buy our kits and products in our little studio because we manufacture jewelry. My hired employees can now take their credit cards and swipe it. Total has great service and it’s been very smooth and easy, and everything’s worked very well. So, we’re pleased.

I really like Total Merchant Services. They’re really helping me out. I opened a restaurant on June 22nd and it got a couple of bars in it and stuff. I was running on Fifth Third credit card system until I got on my feet a little bit. I found Total Merchant online and they had a great deal that I couldn’t pass up. I've been working with them for three weeks now. I had problems, at first, with one of their machines and they immediately FedExed one out to me. They’ve been excellent and very friendly. The service has been great.

We had Total Merchant Services because it would be better for our business to get the credit card machine. We have them for five years now and it's been very valuable and it is a much more efficient process to go with a machine instead of a cash or check. However, I am dissatisfied with them and the only reason why is because the price keeps going up for the credit card machine. It seems like we have to adjust quite often for the charges and its hard to read the statements.

I love Total Merchant Services. When my first year came around, I was charged the usage fee and $100. I was confused. I called them and they explained everything. They did some adjustments for me, which was kind. Two weeks ago, I reached out to them because once a year or once every other year, I'm supposed to do the compliance quiz to make sure I'm up-to-date on it. I wasn't aware of being charged $20 extra a month because I hadn't completed the quiz. So I did that and I'm trying to stay on top of it. My only issue is that it takes two days to get my money. But, I'm happy with them and refer my friends to them.

I met with one of Total Merchant Services' agents and the fees and the service that he was offering was more appealing than the rest. Every time I call them, I get excellent customer service. They also accept all cards so that’s a good thing for me.

A friend of mine does ATMs and credit cards. He's the one who decided for me to get Total Merchant Services. I called them to ask a couple of questions and they answered it thoroughly. I've been using them for a few years now and they have been valuable to my company.

Total Merchant Services Company Profile