4.51/5
  • 1 star
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1996, Total Merchant Services has helped merchants in the U.S. and Canada grow their businesses by offering affordable products and payment solutions. As a trusted leader in the merchant services market, Total Merchant Services is committed to providing easy-to-use products to ensure their merchants are successful. We offer a variety of solutions for you to choose from, including: free credit card processing equipment, mobile processing solutions, internet card processing and Groovv Offers. Your business is our priority, which is why all of our customers are provided with 24/7 support. Call us today to learn how we can help your business!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 22, 2017

100 Total Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 20, 2017

People use the card so it's a necessity in life now if you have a business. I have a hair salon, so I have to have a credit card machine. I was with another company for a few years and when my contract ran out I went with Total Merchant Services. I reached out to Total Merchant Services through a gentleman here in my town that was dealing with them. He said he has a good company for me, so I went with him because I could talk to him in person and he can help me whenever I have a problem. I'm a one-person salon and I don't need the big transaction machine so when we all had to change over, they found another way for me through the roaming jack and they worked with me on that to help me keep a system.

I've talked to their reps a few times, like when I had a mistake on a transaction and I needed to fix it immediately, and it has always been good. I've been working with them for about five years and I'm totally happy with them. They're reasonable on my charges. They're as adequate as you can get. The transactions take transaction time. That would be my only thing. I would love to see the money coming to my account faster but that's everybody's wish.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Total Merchant was a better company and they had better rates which were the reasons I switched to them. I use them for everything. I have an e-store, I do credit cards and I have a brick and mortar store. There seem to be more help and support if I have problems. I had a sale on my e-store and everything was approved but it hadn't been captured. So I called to find out if there was an issue and they helped me walk through it and capture my sale. We had had some storms and flooding and I had waited a few days to make sure that it wasn't a problem on my end like my internet being down. In less than 10 minutes, everything was fixed.

The rep also made sure that I was PCI compliant and she told me that a payment was due in August and another one shortly thereafter and we can combine them. She emailed me the form and I faxed it back to her after I filled it out. She was very helpful in getting things done and making sure, to the best of her ability, that I was where I needed to be in compliance with everything. It was a good experience and there was no yelling and screaming.

Also, if I've had any questions, I've been able to get whoever I needed to get. The only hiccup is that I've been trying to get a hold of the man that originally signed me up. I had to get out of the deal with the other company and there were some things I had to do and he was helping me with them. But he had to go and help other people and do some things. I can't get a hold of him now and I called in and was trying to find out if he still worked with Total Merchant and they reached out and sent him an email but I haven't heard anything yet. As a whole, I've been very satisfied. Things have been resolved quickly and efficiently. Total Merchant is more honest than some that I have talked to and dealt with, they have good equipment and their people are knowledgeable. I would tell other people to definitely give them a call because they are very helpful.

Original review: May 2, 2017

We've been using Total Merchant Services for eight years. They're very important to us especially more lately because a lot of people don’t use checks or cash. The system is really easy to use and recently, I switched to online billing processing so people can simply click a link and it connects with my scheduling system and everything is taken care of. I don’t even have to touch their credit card or have their number so it's even better. I also like having a phone app backup.

On the other hand, I used to have the terminal before I had an app. They did not notify me of other services or processing methods available so I left them for about four months. When I called to return their equipment, they asked why I would do that and I said I wanted an app on my phone or a swiper. They said they have those services which I should have been told six years ago. I switched to Intuit and I had a different swiper with them but I absolutely hated their billing system because they would charge every day instead of once a month. So they were nickel-and-diming me to death.

I then started using a new scheduling system with Total Merchant last year. There's a company that is integrated with the system and I intended to switch to that company. I tried calling Total Merchant and they didn’t know whoever I called, and didn’t even know what I was talking about. I was at a convention and I went up to a guy and told him my credit card history and he asked for my number. He said that I'm with them and I told him that they changed their name without telling me. I told him that they should be able to communicate with me better. But other than that, I love their process and service.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Total Merchant Services was fairly competitive and we liked the services that they offer. They were one of the companies we contacted when we were looking for a vendor for our credit card payments. Their customer service reps were very professional, friendly, and helpful. Every time I've called them with whatever issues I was having, everyone's been great to help me resolve it. We've been working with Total Merchant for three months now and it's doing exactly what we hired them to do. All in all, it has been very good.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I’ve had a different company in the past. They were good but then, their rates were through a bank and weren’t as competitive as Total Merchant’s. Most companies that try to service this area are home-based in other states. We're a seven-day a week tourist business and Total Merchant swears they can help you out in a day. Mike, the guy from Total Merchant Services, is actively here in Charleston and is a tremendous problem-solver. He never fails to answer the phone when needed. The best part about having them is the fact that I can stay up and running even when something happens with the machine. I don't lose business. I have to order credit card tape and they seem to get it together.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

Original review: April 26, 2017

With Total Merchant, the equipment was free as long as I had so much in sales. I’m happy with it. Plus, their customer service is very helpful. I have been with them for about three months and it’s been great.

Original review: April 25, 2017

We've been with Total Merchant Services for three years and I have one customer service representative whom I go through and he has been awesome. He deals with them and helps me when I need something. I've already recommended Total Merchant Services.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've been a member with Total Merchant Services for some time now. They were very helpful in terms of what I was actually looking for. In processing the credit card, they did not require me to maintain a certain amount and be put to a certain limit, so I like that. Furthermore, I could always call the customer service reps any time I had any questions about the statement. Whenever we had problems with the terminals or not batching it out, we could always call and reach out to them, and somebody was always able to walk us through and try to resolve any issues.

They've been very valuable to our company. They've been genuinely concerned about what we're doing, and they certainly made me feel very welcome. There were a couple of guys there that spent a lot of time with me and I remember Robert because we were emailing each other back and forth until we got things squared away. Just recently, we've got another thing going with them, with another terminal that's mobile. We could take it anywhere we go, and we don't need a phone line to operate it. That was really a big plus because there aren't too many merchants that offer anything like that.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I was initially signed up through a third-party processor who use Total Merchant Services. But I got tired of dealing with them so now, I’m just dealing directly with Total Merchant Services. I called them when I had various questions, when I was worried about seasonal status, and when there was a charge that should’ve been made and we got it all taken care of. I've been with Total Merchant for four years now and it's been a fabulous experience so far. They've been valuable to our company.

Original review: April 22, 2017

We've been working with Total Merchant Services for two years and they have been very valuable to our company because we have a lot of customers who use cards. I like the idea that when we have customers who call in their orders, we can use the machine to punch their orders. It's that simple and easy and the machine prints fast. I don't have to sit there and wait and wait and wait. It's a great machine. It’s just that in the beginning when they gave us the new machine, the print is so small, so we have a hard time reading it, and they said that they can't enlarge it.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I went on Total Merchant Services website and somebody contacted me. They gave me the low down on how much it cost and what the requirements were. Then I got the machine and my paper. I thought that the machine didn't work because I overlooked that I had to have internet service separate for it. They sent me another machine. The telephone lines here are a little further work. Once I got it done, the machine worked.

Then I had to upgrade the modem that I had because the phone and cable slow down the reception. I got online and told them that there was more to get the machine up again. I put the machine up and I've been doing pretty good. I used my card to make sure it worked. It was fine by running my credit card, charged myself a penny and kept it going throughout the day.

The worst thing that happened was it wasn't hooked up as I thought it was. I tried to get a payment from a customer and that didn't happen. I figured it on my own on how to get payment from the customer without using the credit card machine. I missed out on that opportunity but still got paid. It was uncomfortable because it was like barter trade as I won't collect the cash but still got paid. I'm still under construction so my sales are real slow and low right now. But I'm very satisfied with Total Merchant. They're fantastic and awesome. It has been a great experience.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I just opened a new company and thought it would be convenient to print out the receipt right there and have the customer sign it as opposed to just having it on the phone. The Total Merchant guy I originally spoke to sent me and locked in a quote saying that I was gonna get taxed $20 a month and it's lower than the average rate. The first time I ran the card, I thought maybe there's a mistake on my behalf of how much money they took out. It was a large percentage. One time they took $40 and another time they took $70, meanwhile on top of that they were taking out monthly fees. One month was $53 and then the next month was $180. They gave it back to me and then they did it again, which caused my bank to charge me $35 every time Total Merchant took money out and refunded it.

I canceled the service on the 10th of February. The guy told me word for word that they were no longer re-charging my account and that it's officially closed. I let them know that the unit was sent in the mail and that they should be getting it. I gave them the time and tracking number. They said they might have charged me $750 for the actual machine and if they do, they will reimburse my money. But that didn’t happen. They took another $53 out of my account, turned around, reimbursed it and then called me this morning to tell me that I owe $53 more. What's so weird is that they take my money, but they’ve been putting it back. I didn’t even notice this until I went to my bank the other day. Today they called me again because I put a red flag on that account so they can't keep charging and asked me about another credit card to pay them another $53. When I told them the fee, they hung up on me. It's been exhausting and I'm disappointed.

Original review: April 3, 2017

We've been with Wells Fargo and their rates were too high. I talked to a guy that's been using Total Merchant's service and then I applied. I've had a couple of questions and the customer service at Total Merchant always handled them really fast. For one, I entered a sale and it got turned down. And then I entered it again thinking that I made a mistake, but it also got turned down. I then called the client to see if she's at home. She might have had a cap on her account. But that one straightened itself out very easily with them. There was no issue at all. It was just on the client. Another person wanted to reverse his card, and that took a while to get it done. There was a weekend involved and different things like that, but I called in to see if they could expedite it. They have a certain amount of time to do a reversal. I informed the client of that, and he was a little upset but it got handled okay. I even sent him some extra merchandise.

One thing that seems a little different, though, is that they used to be a little quicker in putting the money in the account. A couple of years or so ago, when I would enter something on Monday, it would be in the account on Tuesday. Now if I enter on Monday, it won't be in until Wednesday and occasionally, but very rarely, on Thursday. Perhaps they're getting too big or they might have a cut-off date. What I'm gonna do is I'm going to order some things or put some money in the morning, because they might have a cut-off date, then in the afternoon, then in the evening. I'll see if they all come through at the same time or if some are earlier or later.

But Total Merchant Services is a valuable part of the company. I gotta have their credit card service. If it's not Total Merchant's, it'd be somebody else. In fact, if we couldn't take credit cards, my business would be a little lower. People call me and order stuff on the phone. So, I got to be able to do credit cards. I can have them mail a check. And I've sent things off before and put bills in them and I get the money back. But there's always going to be a first time where I won't get it. In that sense, the credit cards are the way to go. Overall, my experience with Total Merchant has been credible, reliable and favorable.

Original review: March 31, 2017

A friend of mine is a representative and he contacted me about using Total Merchant's service through them. Setting up with Total Merchant Services was really smooth. We’ve not had any issues that couldn’t be resolved quickly. My overall experience was exceptional.

Original review: March 25, 2017

We've been using Total Merchant Services for 10 years now. We used a different company before and then when we changed business and added another business. And somebody from Total Merchant Services called and said what their rates would be. It sounded better and that's what we went with. One time, my daughter called them about some fees that they take out at the first of the year that are passed on to the users. And the fees were a little bit more than they should have been cost-wise. They explained to us that there was nothing that they can do about it and they're allowed to pass that on. The whole charging that they do for the service is also too expensive for small businesses, which is definitely what we are. But our experience with them has been fine. We're paper-free and my daughter looks the statements up on the internet and she keeps track of that for me. We have recommended them to other business people here in town.

Original review: March 22, 2017

With Total Merchant Services I'm able to take bank cards when I need to. I did it many years before, but then the prices got so high so I quit doing it for a long time. Now I'm doing it again and it's easier. It enables people to pay for services. They give you what they say they're going to give you and they're easy to work with. They're all professional, polite, nice and helpful. It's been an enjoyable and seamless experience.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I had Total Merchant Services for about eight months. My girlfriend dealt with them in setting up the service. We probably made $50 on cards the whole time we had them. A lot of people just want cash or check, and that's fine with me. However, we were getting charged monthly but we weren't making money, and if I'm not making money, then there's no sense in having them. But the Customer Service reps were okay when I asked them to cancel my service. It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't great.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I love Total Merchant Services. The customer service representatives have been very helpful. I had a problem with the IRS deducting money from my deposit using the service, and they did what they could do and helped me. They researched it and figured out why I wasn’t getting all my money. They emailed me, got the services taken care of and sent my money within a very timely manner. I’m a small business person and I’m very pleased with Total Merchant Services. It helps me here with the parents who don’t have cash and want to pay with their credit cards. And there are people who have accounts with their jobs that give you debit card to pay for the day care. Overall, I’m happy with the service.

Original review: March 5, 2017

I couldn't utilize my account so I reached out to Total Merchant Services. They're great and I'm very satisfied with them. However, I'm kind of an old-fashioned gal and I really wish that I could get my paper stuff and not get everything electronic.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I have a home-based business and I go to fairs and festivals so I needed a way to have a credit card reader. I signed up with Total Merchant Services and so far, it has been great. A lot of people don't carry enough cash with them so if they can put stuff on a credit card, that's good. The credit card reader is also easy to use. And the other thing that's really good is I'm in the rural a lot of times and there's no cell signal. But this machine runs on batteries during the day and it keeps it charged, and then I can plug it in at night. It's good that it doesn't run down real quick during the day or I don't need electricity to run it. I got a good deal having Total Merchant.

Original review: March 3, 2017

We reached out to Total Merchant because we wanted to make use of credit card services. A while ago, my card swiper was broken and I needed to replace it so I contacted them. Their customer service was great and they answered my questions. They have been very valuable to us and they are a good company to work with.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I have been with Total Merchant Services for 10yrs now and they are consistent. Working with their customer service has been good. They can do certain things and using them is so valuable. So far, things have been satisfactory and I’d definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Total Merchant Services' customer service is always great. I had an issue with somebody who was working for them and I ended up changing reps and accounts, but I called Total Merchant's inside sales and took care of that. They've been very valuable to our company.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

A salesman from total merchant Services offer to charge 0.05 cents per % and I decide to sign but for my 3 stores but when I get the machines I found out that the machines does not work in my area; So I call the salesman Erick ** and he promise to send me better machines that will catch the signal at my area, but when the machines arrived and found out that they didn't.

So I call the salesman and he promise to cancel the account and send a call tag return their machines back; but instead of sending a call tag, Total Merchant Services charge me my bank $132.23. Please notice that I wasn't able to use their machines. When I call Total Merchant Services customer services the service manager in a very rude words told me that that is the service charge and is charged if I use or not the machines. The salesman Erick ** at El Paso Texas branch has promise me to refund my money several times but I haven't see a single cent back and he is not answering or returning my calls anymore. Total Merchant Services is total scam. "STAY AWAY FROM THEM". c/c Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, YOUTUBE, TWITER AND ALL MY CUSTOMERS AND friends.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I initially got Total Merchant because I was looking for a minor fee associated with credit card processing and better ways of doing it other than accepting cash and not really any credit processing. We've had Total Merchant Services for a month and a half now and they've been extremely helpful and valuable to my company.

We have significantly benefitted from the devices that they offer for free with our account. They're integrating their system into the company, office, building or commercial area. Then, their generalized fee per transaction amount is very excellent. though they're doing very good, we all get our little hiccups with the service. I'm still trying to get the correct name when a transaction goes on a credit or debit card. It shows my business and what is put on that statement but it's not spelled out correctly and it has repeated points that are not done correctly. I've been trying to reach out to somebody to get it taken care of among the other things.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

Total Merchant Services called and offered me a better rate than what I had. The couple of different people I spoke with were all very helpful, easy to talk to and answered all the questions. I have them since middle of November and their fees are cheaper so I'm saving some money.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

With Total Merchant Services, we've received our funding in a timely fashion and I don't have to worry about getting the money that people are using their cards for, about how quick is it going to come and if I'm gonna get the proper amount. I hang up on other companies that said they'll give me a price quote or asked me to send our month's or two month's billing and hope that Total Merchant Services are giving me the best deal in town and that everything's going like it's supposed to.

I have always been pleased with the company. I had a client asked if their payment had been processed and because of the discounting, I looked at one number that we put down and then at my bank account and there's another number. It was close but the dates were fine. I wanted to verify that and found out that I was using a wrong website but Total Merchant Services corrected me. They gave me all the information and the person I spoke with was excellent. She was kind, understanding and led me right through to go to the new website and showed me where to check a couple of things.

Also, I had called to ask if we could possibly have individualized accounting. We don't have a high volume of clients so I felt like it would be good if we had the terminal saying one came in at $6.20 and another came in at $2,000 so I can see three, four or five a day coming in, and a young lady walked me through and stuck with me as she updated the terminal and everything was great.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I have some equipment from Total Merchant Services. We have the Groovv POS - the compact, all in one. It's the cash drawer and printer in one. Then, it has the tablet and the terminal off to the side. Then, I have another one that is an actual cash drawer, the printer is separate and the tablet goes with it. I don't know what's going on with the latter, but it interrupts the whole Groovv system. It wants me to download Uber and all these other stuff. Then, the cash drawer will pop open then, all the cash is exposed within that drawer and it prints out a receipt all on its own repeatedly. It keeps happening to the point where I don't even keep the printer on anymore. Only when I need to. It has been replaced once, but I'm ready to send it sailing out the front door.

Then the other one has startup issues. It will boot up, and then it will shut down, and then I'll have to go through the whole boot up or I get another time right away. It takes forever sending a signal to the terminal. Sometimes, I have to reboot the entire system because it won't send it to the terminal. We'll sit here and wait until it comes back and says that the request has been denied or says it can't send it at this time. Then, as soon as I reboot the system, it works right away. But have to all the way back through those reboot procedures and shut the tablet completely down. I get customers that are standing here for five minutes waiting on to pay.

Another huge problem is that these two devices do not talk. It's nice being able to automatically track my sales and things of that nature. Especially, when it comes time to file for quarterly taxes. But the fact that the two systems don't talk and the glitches that are going on with both of them, it's a complete headache. I like having the systems here. It brings a certain amount of professionalism to my barber shop. But these problems make me very dissatisfied with it.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

We have terminated service. They then charged our account again. We contacted bank and got charges reversed. TMS then changed their name ACH and charged again. Bank deemed fraud. Now in collection...

Total Merchant Services response

Superior customer service is our #1 objective as we make every effort to ensure an excellent customer experience. Accordingly, if our merchant’s expectations are not met, it is imperative we understand and address any issues. When this account was opened in June of 2011 the fees and rates assessed were those signed for and agreed to by the merchant. The signed agreement states that the merchant has thirty (30) days from the date of a specific billing charge to dispute any fee the merchant deems to be erroneous. Timely notification could have occurred within thirty (30), sixty (60), or even ninety (90) days. The service generates a monthly billing charge unless the merchant requests to have the account closed. Additionally, cancellation of an account would require a signed cancellation form or a conversation with the primary owner of the account. Neither procedure has ever occurred. Following the cancellation of an account the merchant would receive a cancellation confirmation as well as a return label to return any outstanding equipment (if necessary.) These would serve as proof of cancellation for the merchant. The lack of confirmation of closure as well as continued billing charges on a monthly basis would serve as an alert to the merchant that the account was still open. The merchant advised they did see the billing charge on their statement however it was disregarded. Monthly statements are available online and can also be mailed per the merchant's request. Per call logs and history on the merchant's account, communication regarding any inquiry to the billing charges was not received. In fact, the merchant has never called into our corporate office to discuss their merchant account. The account was closed effective May 26, 2016 by our Financial Solutions Department. In no way has our company acted fraudulently. However, as a courtesy, we have waived the outstanding balance of $80.42.

Please let us know if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Customer Support

Total Merchant

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I needed a company that has EBT transaction for a mobile unit, so we reached out to Total Merchant Services. I've been working with them for a year now and so far, they've been fantastic. I couldn't find anybody better. I've had other credit card companies, but they're the one that's been the most honest with me. So, I deal with them and would definitely recommend them.

Total Merchant Services Company Information