Call toll free
4.52/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1996, Total Merchant Services has helped merchants in the U.S. and Canada grow their businesses by offering affordable products and payment solutions. As a trusted leader in the merchant services market, Total Merchant Services is committed to providing easy-to-use products to ensure their merchants are successful. We offer a variety of solutions for you to choose from, including: free credit card processing equipment, mobile processing solutions, internet card processing and Groovv Offers. Your business is our priority, which is why all of our customers are provided with 24/7 support. Call us today to learn how we can help your business!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

163 Total Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 8, 2018

At all cost stay away from this company. Very poor customer service this past few years. Agent hung up the phone on me for asking about my charges, charges with their services that they don't inform you on, charges that were not made clear, and just poor communication with their clients. To top it off they were suppose to send me a package to return terminal and it was never sent and supervisor did nothing about it forcing me to yet again pay for shipping when they owe me already $700. Horrible handling and deception from company.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Total Merchant's price, fees, and cost of the system made it very attractive. And their customer service team has been very helpful and my interaction with them has been great. We had issues with things not working right. I call them and they walked me right through what I needed to do and take care of it. We got the system in March and we’re seeing the potential to get a lot of impact out of it, tracking, and breaking ourselves down and giving us a better breakdown on everything. We’re still learning it.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Total Merchant Services has better rates that I felt more comfortable with, but I had a little rough start with them. I was having issues with the processing with the little PayAnywhere device, my little processor that I carry with me. Supposedly my email was already connected with another processing company and all at the same company but with AmeriBanc. They couldn't use the same email for both accounts so they went ahead and sent out a couple of tickets to the technicians. It took a while for them to get to the point of making the device work. However, it has been good since. The process had been smooth and I'm really happy. I carry the PayAnywhere with me anywhere I go in the US. I was in Texas not too long ago and it was really convenient for me. I have my cell phone with me most of the time and the PayAnywhere is handy whenever I need to use it, especially the next day deposit.

I've been with Total Merchant Services since November and having the PayAnywhere device has been very valuable to our company. I don't process that much, but from what little that I have processed, it has been really convenient. There are a lot of times when customers don't have cash with them and they gotta go to the ATM. But when I pull out the PayAnywhere, they're surprised. People that don't know about it ask me how to get it and I give them the information. I tell them, "Call this number and they'll set you up." People can use it for whenever they're doing a sale, like a rummage sale.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I’m really enjoying Total Merchant, but the fee gets worse. They started charging more. I was not charging the customer because they start complaining so I told Total Merchant to move me back to the old, .05 on processing deal. Other than that, I like it. Angela, one of their reps, talked me into getting the service and it was a good price and better than what I had. She’s been really helpful and anything I have a question with, I just give her a call and she takes care of the issues for me. It was a great experience and I am recommending people to Total Merchant.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was with Total Merchant Services for about nine months. We needed them for credit card processing and their hardware was free. Their customer service was also good. They’re helpful, quick to answer and they do what they say they’re going to do. However, they got bought out by another company and for me to continue to work with them, I had to switch to the other company. Other than that, I had a good experience with Total Merchant Services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I called the Total Merchant customer service to get familiar with everything, the rep was very helpful. However, I was charged a bunch of stuff and barely processed even $200 in charges. I’ve total about a $150. I didn’t even know that was coming out of my bank account. I can’t even use the system because the original rep set us up for $350 maximum charge, minimum ticket item is $1,500. I called and explained about it and no one helped me. I called to cancel and the lady was very rude. The lady said she was going to send me an email to finalize everything. If I get charged again, I’m gonna have my attorney take care of it. They are a joke and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Total Merchant Services response
Hi Jonathon,

We're very sorry to hear about your experience. At Total Merchant Services, we strive to ensure our customers receive the best service in the industry, and it's troubling to learn that we may have fallen short in your case. Per our prior invitation, we encourage you to call our customer support team with any issues at 888-848-6825. We wish you much success, and hope you will give us another chance someday.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was a vendor on the road and I used Total Merchant Services when I was shopping around for a merchant for my store that I just opened up three months ago. I called them and I called a couple of other places too but I chose to go with them because I remember it was a good experience. I've had them for three months and it has been good The only thing that I didn’t like was I wasn’t aware there was a monthly minimum in sales or I would get charged $25. But that was the only thing that caught me as a surprise. Other than that, now that I know it, that has been fine.

I have a new business and I expect that there will be $1,500 in charged card sales every month. I was just surprised when I saw that in my statement and I didn’t know it. But they’ve been very helpful. I got the little machine right away and everything works fine. It was very easy to set everything and get it running. I am the least technical person on the planet and if I can do it, anyone can do it. Everything’s great and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: March 27, 2018

There was another provider that we looked at and their fees were higher than what I wanted to pay. Then Total Merchant came by, showed me stuff, and they were cheaper so I got them and I've been using them for four years now. I have the credit card system and they charge me $9.95. Everybody else was at $19 to $39 for the use of their machine or you had to buy them. Then I had .01% as my charge while most people are at 1% to 5%.

I could have bought it but I didn't want to because I found out that those machines go bad in a year or two. So I just let them service it. With them servicing the unit, they also supply the paper. So when I need a paper, they send me paper and taught me through how to put it on the new machine because the new machine was a little bit different and you had to do it a little differently. They have handled the problems I have had. Once, the machine went out and they handed me a new one overnight.

We are just a small, family-owned business so everyday I have the credit card receipts and I look at them against the bank statement and post them. The only thing I dislike is that it takes Total Merchant a long time at the end of the year to send me the itemized statement so I can go with my taxes. My account says I have to post it everyday and they've got the receipts, and that's good enough, so we've been doing that. I get a lot of calls from people trying to get me to switch but they don't compare to Total Merchant.

Original review: March 26, 2018

We needed somebody to run our credit card services. We have been working with Total Merchant Services for about eight years now and the service has been good. When we needed them, they were there. Reliability is everything. However, my partner was starting to look into other companies because he thought we could get better rates. But, so far, we have not found anybody who has a good reputation and good reliability, so I told him we are sticking with Total Merchant Services. We’ll probably switch when we find a company that has better reviews and comes off a point or two and saves us more than just a buck or two.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was working with a company prior that used Total Merchant Services and was happy with their service. So, when we started our own business, I opted to use them as well. My experience with their customer service has been wonderful. We had a problem on the weekend with some gift cards and all I did was I had to pick up the phone and call on the weekend. Somebody called me back to access the machine and got it fixed. The service was phenomenal and there were numerous incidents like that. We have been working with Total Merchant Services for 10 years now and I find them to be extremely valuable to our company.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Total Merchant Services is working out great for us. I started doing more credit card sales so I decided to go ahead and be with the program, plus I knew the lady who was running the one here in my town. She got me setup quickly. With them I get paid right away. I don’t have to wait. I’m happy with it. The only issues that I had was when I went to run the card on my phone, it times out on me before I can get all the information swiped in. Then I gotta sign back in and start over. Other than that, everything is great. I would definitely recommend it to whoever else might need service.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I had a salesperson from Total Merchant Services come into my establishment and sold me on having Total Merchant Services be my credit card processing company. I kept the service for about a month until I received my first bill. I realized that my fees were different from what I initially signed up for. I called the company and explained that there might be a mistake and that they took out too much money and their customer service representative said that these were the amounts I agreed to. Problem is that when I signed the contract in my store I asked for a copy. Turns out the salesperson whose name is Mycheal changed the amounts that I agreed to by crossing out and replacing with higher numbers. The company rep told me she would have to send it to her manager because when I sent her a copy of what I signed, It was totally different from what I originally signed.

They told me to deal with the salesperson, I said the salesperson didn’t deduct these fees from my account, you did. They said to call the police and file a report. They refuse to return the money and said there is nothing they can do. My advice either stay away from this company and/or Mychael or if you decide to use them please make copies of everything you sign as soon as you sign them because chances are these numbers will change without you knowing or agreeing to them. If I could give this company zero stars I would. Stay Away. If anyone is interested I have all copies of contracts as proof. They lead me on for over a month just to tell me today that they are not doing anything about it.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been working with Total Merchant for about six months, so I'm a newbie. Most of the customer service people have been very friendly, and the service has been good. Everybody uses credit now, so Total Merchant helps the business. The only problem I have is that when I turn the device back on every morning when I go in, it says, “Connection failed”. It just bothers because I open up a store and I have customers and the credit card doesn’t work. And then I’ve got to turn down a sale. It's been happening frequently, and I’ve got to call Total Merchant and they’ve got to walk me through what to do. And that’s where I had an issue with some lady. But a guy came and he jumped on and he corrected the problem. For the most part, everybody's understandable, but there’s always one out there that doesn’t understand. Other than that, everybody else has been really fine. I would recommend Total Merchant Services.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

A Total Merchant Services salesman came up to us and introduced their product. Everything was done appropriately and fairly. So far, they've been treating us well and they’ve been on top of any problems we had. Everything has been great.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Total Merchant’s fees were better than other companies. We’ve been their service for a year and three months now and they’re extremely valuable to us. Their customer service has been good and anytime that I’ve had an issue, they were able to fix it. Aside from the great fees, they also have great schedules. I would refer people to them. Check them out. They're worth your time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We needed to get a new point of sale system for our restaurant and we've had some people that used ShopKeep so we went with them and they use Total Merchant Services. Any time we've had any questions or needed any concerns or anything answered, the Total Merchant's reps have always been great and super easy to get a hold of. We've had them since January 2018 and so far, so good. I tell my friends it's affordable, comparable to other services and the fees aren't outrageous. Plus, they always have good customer service and we're happy.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I've had Total Merchant Services for four years. I needed someone that would handle firearms and only certain companies will. Everything was good with Total Merchant and they took care of me but the monthly charge got to be unbelievable. There were several months I didn't do any credit card business and it was hard to take $50 a month. So, I turned over my equipment to Total Merchant and I'm not their customer anymore. The service was very good and I had no problem with the company other than the charges. One can go with Cayan for under $14 a month, which is crazy compared to $49.

Total Merchant Services response

Thanks for your comments! We are happy to have served you for four years, and we appreciate your loyalty. TMS strives to provide both great service and great rates. We do offer options for seasonal merchants who may not process on a regular basis, so we are confident we could provide a competitive solution if your needs have changed. We wish you continued success, and hope to have you back someday!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We were looking for a credit card processor and we reached out to Total Merchant Services. They're very easy to use and we also like the ease of getting in touch and speaking with someone personally from their office. We’ve been working with them for 10 years and their services have been very valuable to our company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We’ve been working with Total Merchant Services for almost a year now. Another friend from a business told us about them and so far, they have been good. Once, the key locked on our credit card machine and their customer service reps helped us right away. The only thing that we don’t like is that when the money has been deposited into our account and we do the settlement invoice, they would first do $150, then do another $50 for a $200 transaction. They spread it so sometimes, we have to go back to our invoice and try to see how much we sold that day. Then we have to save up the amount. Other than that, we never had any issues with them and we would totally recommend them to someone else.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

When I was a dealer at the Glenwood Manor, they used Total Merchant Services there for years. Then, when I moved out and opened up my own shop, I also used Total Merchant. They came highly recommended. I've been working with them for 13 years now and their customer service has been very good. Their rep, Scott, has been my contact guy and he's been great. They deliver the paper directly to me and they have been available 24/7 which is nice. With some companies, you can't even get in touch with their people. I’ve also heard other people that have Square say that sometimes they hold their money. I’ve read some bad reviews about them, too. So even though Total Merchant is more expensive, they're more reliable.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Total Merchant Services had the best rate at the time when our company originally reached out to them. They were our credit card processor and they were very important because we did a lot of credit card business. Their reps were very responsive and the service they provided was very good. I was very happy with them and I worked with them for years. However, they wouldn’t match the rates of the very cut-throat business so we cancelled them recently and switched to a company with a lower rate.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I like Total Merchant’s rep, Michael, and his availability and service. It makes three works four. Michael answers his phone when I call him and he handles a problem immediately. And since nobody carries cash anymore and most of my sales are on charge cards, Total Merchant's service has been valuable. I’ve been working with them for 10 years now and I’m very satisfied with them. I have recommended them to other people.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Total Merchant Services charges a low percentage rate and I found out, once I talked to them, that they didn't require a contract and that was an advantage. They offer the online statements and the free equipment, so there are no upfront charges. Every time I've called, their customer service team has been very helpful and friendly. They satisfied what I needed or resolved my problem very quickly and on the spot. There was one time when they had to look into the problem and returned my call. Their service has been great and very valuable because they've given me the opportunity to accept credit cards. I've been with Total Merchant for 15 months and I've been very pleased with everything they have offered.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

We’ve been working with Total Merchant Services since December and so far, our experience with them has been good. We had a couple of questions where we had some deposits to go in and we didn’t get all the money but we haven’t gotten answers yet. We might have had three transactions and we didn’t get everything. Nonetheless, Total Merchant Services has been good and they do what they say they’re going to do.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Total Merchant Services has saved me money and about a percentage point on my sales so I’m happy. I’ve been working with them for over a year now and our experience has been very well. Their reps were informative and they answered all my questions. I’d tell my friends to give them a call.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I've had Total Merchant Services for 17 years, pretty much since I've opened business. But my wife said the rates are cheaper at DB&T and we quit when DB&T moved closer so, I transferred everything I had to them. Then four years later, they closed the office close to me and I don’t have time to run eight miles across town to make deposits. This is the second time we’ve had Total Merchant. However, Total Merchant's machine is aggravating. I had a single keypad thing and these new machine has got two of them. It’s got a chip reader in the main one and then it’s got another one. It tells me to swipe the cards, so I got to swipe it on the first one and then it tells me to put in the second one.

I've called a couple of times on this new machine because I like my daily reports to print out every time a credit is run, not just give me a total at the end of the day. I can see when they hit. I called twice on that and the rep walked me right through it, so their customer service is outstanding. Total Merchant has been valuable to me because they process all my money.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I talked to Total Merchant to get some new equipment and they said they would provide the equipment for me free of charge if I went with their company. It’s been working out really well and we've been with them for two years now. I do trade shows and I need to be able to accept credit cards so their service is one of those necessary things. They are competitive, they treat me good, and everything has worked fine with their representatives. However, I got a $20 charge in my bank for non-compliance and I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently, after we certify every year, they get compliant with the systems. Once I did that, it was okay but I was annoyed that I got a surprise billing and that stuck with me for a couple of months until it was resolved. Other than that, they got good service and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I’m happy with Total Merchant Services because the price is less and the equipment is wireless. However, the last time I needed a new equipment, they sent it to me, but they didn’t send the stamp for return. I took it to the post office to return it and they accepted it, but instead of returning it to Total Merchant Services, they returned it to my house again. When I told them they were supposed to return the equipment to the company, they said they would.

A couple months later, I got a letter saying I was supposed to return the equipment. I called the company and told them what happened. They said, “No, ma'am. No worries. We will follow up with FedEx.” And then I got a letter again. So I don’t know what I have to do. I also told them to please follow up and email me if they got the equipment or not. If I knew that they didn’t get it, I could go to FedEx, bring my receipt, and show them I gave it to them. And then they could locate it. But they disconnected with me and I’m a busy person. I couldn’t call and stay on the line for a couple of minutes and then get transferred from here to there. I’m going to follow up with Total Merchant Services one more time. But if they don’t follow, I’m not going to follow up anymore.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

A third party contacted me and connected me with Total Merchant Services as I was having issues with Square and I wanted to find an alternative merchant service. I’ve been working with Total Merchant for two months now. Their customer service teams were good but I had problems with services I dealt with as it was kind of hard to understand how to use the system to other customers for invoicing. It was kind of a headache with trying to work through it. I’ve talked to Total Merchant’s team but I never called them back about the issue. I need to talk to them again for them to walk me through the system again so I’ll make sure I can explain it to the customers right. My friends could also use Total Merchant’s service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I’ve been working with Total Merchant Services for over a decade and I have never come across anybody who has been rude or not helpful. Every concern that I have had, they've addressed to my satisfaction. They are very valuable to me. They help in taking care of my processing and the updating of my machine when it needs to be updated.

The only thing that I'm waiting for is they were supposed to send me a shipping label so I could return my old machine and I haven't received that yet. But all in all I have never had a problem. They've always looked into things for me. I remember one year I was wondering why my fee was higher than I normally see and they looked into it within 30-minutes and told me that my processing fee was that high and they lowered it back down for me and refunded the extra money that they had taken out. It was all in one phone call. Go with Total Merchant Services because they take care of everything. I have quite a few friends that use Square and I always tell them that they’re not actually saving money with it because their processing fee is almost four percent and mine is only about one percent.

Total Merchant Services expert review by Beverly Harzog

Total Merchant Services was founded in 1996 and provides merchant services for businesses across the United States and Canada. Their services allow businesses to accept all major credit and debit cards, including EBT, without signing a contract.

• No contract: You never have to sign a monthly contract to work with Total Merchant Services.

• Free readers and terminals: Total Merchant Services clients receive free state-of-the-art, multi-application credit card readers and processing terminals that are shipped at no cost to you. The company will work with you to decide which free terminal type makes the most sense for your business.

• Mobile processing: Entrepreneurs who are constantly working on-the-go will appreciate Total Merchant Services’ Payment Jack card swipe. The card swipe easily turns any smartphone into a secure credit card terminal. Receive your free card swiper and software when you open your account.

• Online processing: Total Merchant Services has web-based terminal options for e-commerce sites and other businesses that conduct transactions over the Internet. Use a virtual terminal to log on and process transactions. You can also use an e-commerce solution, which will connect your website to a variety of online shopping carts directly.

• Online support and resources: Find the answers you need about your equipment using Total Merchant Services’ online quick reference guides. The company’s website has additional resources for clients, including forms, merchant reference links and the option to view your statement online. You can also always call their US-based customer service team to answer any of your questions or concerns.

• Customized processing services: Customize your account with additional services available from Total Merchant Services, including gift card acceptance, loyalty program, cash advance and check acceptance.

• Best for: Total Merchant Services is best for brick and mortar, mobile and online businesses and vendors.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Total Merchant Services Company Information