toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Total Merchant Services reached out to us and we were with them for about three years. The setup process was streamlined and there were no issues. They allowed us to process credit cards and they were invaluable during the time. But we switched because I found a wholesale company and so my fees just went down by close to $200 a month.

I picked Total Merchant because at that time, they offered the very best rate. I will be going on my fourth year with them and the support has been outstanding. They have their act together and they are a very impressive and valuable company to us. I very much enjoy them and I let other people know how wonderful my experience is all the time.

We were looking for a credit card processor company then and we went with Total Merchant Services. They have a fair price and their customer service has been very helpful. I've been with them for three years now and I find them very valuable.

I’ve had excellent service anytime I’ve call Total Merchant Services. I'm very pleased with the service I get. They are very helpful and they have been very valuable to my company. Customer service is excellent. I have other companies call trying to get me to switch and because of the service I get I don’t even look elsewhere.

I worked with Total Merchant Services for a couple of months. I've decided that I wasn’t going to be using credit card at this time so I had to cancel my account. Their customer service reps were always professional, polite and prompt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

Total Merchant Services reached out to me at the right time because I just started and I was looking for a way to do credit cards. But I’m out in the county and I don’t have phone lines. I do a mobile service with the lawnmowers and small equipment but I need something universal where I could take the credit cards and do it on-site or off-site. I have no complaints at all with their customer service. They’ve been very helpful anytime I’ve needed it and everything has worked great since I’ve had it. I’ve been with them for six months. The ability to take cards increases my customer base and makes it easier for my customers to pay me. They’ve been very valuable.

I liked what Total Merchant Services had to offer, and the machine was new and available. I had to switch to a machine that would accept chip cards. The percentages they told me they were going to charge seemed to be more reasonable than what I was working with. Customer service has been great. This year, I did my compliance and had confirmation that I was all set to open in the spring. Then the day that we opened, the credit card machine didn’t work. I called, and the rep was able to get it taken care of on the second call. They told me at first that they are not able to take care of it until Monday and I called on Friday because they were closed over the weekend. It didn’t work and I said, “I need my machine.” I called the person with whom I opened the account with and got it taken care of the same day. It was wonderful and I'm very happy with the company.

We have used Total Merchant for a long time and they're excellent. I have one terminal with them which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Maybe the internet or something inside it is wrong. But we like the rate and the service is very good. We also called before and they solved the problem right away.

Several companies called me and said they’re ready to hook me up. But I don't get $5,000 a month yet. I'm a small business. Total Merchant Services offered the debit card reader that all the major stores use and they offer it to small businesses too. They’re absolutely amazing and fabulous. They sent everything and didn’t charge me for any of their services. I even called and got a tech support on the phone.

I have been working with Total Merchant about a month and I noticed the change the very first day. I was using Square and I don’t get a printed receipt. With Total Merchant, it prints a receipt where they put my address and business name. They also have a fantastic reporting service that I can see online. It literally took me 15 minutes on the phone at most to do everything that I needed to do. The first card reader they sent didn’t do debt. I miscommunicated. And when I realized my error, they said, “Oh, no problem.” And they turned around and sent me another one plus a return receipt to send the other one back. And immediately, too, with no charge. I know that cost them money to do it. And I don’t have to pay for paper for the printer. It’s crazy good. I’m super happy.

I knew the guy that turned me in to Total Merchant Services. I have used them for a year and a half now and they have helped the company. I had to call in because of the downloads and they worked quickly. So far, my experience has been good.

When we had the merchant processor previously, it was through the bank we were doing business with but we switched banks. We needed to change our processor too so I decided to take a look at everything that’s available. Total Merchant's fees were excellent and they were providing the terminal at no charge which was a plus. When I’ve had to call one of their technical support people, they’ve been outstanding. We run through a DSL line and we were having some problems with our AT&T DSL, so we had to switch things over to the phone line. They were very helpful with that and also, as far as a credit card that didn’t go through correctly, they fixed it. Everything has been really handled very professionally. I’m one of the first people that want to pat companies on the back when they do a good job and we’ve been really happy with them. They're everything I expected and more. I’m really happy I made the switch.

We had just switched in the beginning of last month and so far our experience with Total Merchant Services has been really good. We haven't really had any bumps on the road to have to contact them for any other reasons. Jack was the guy who was taking care of us. He was the regional director and was really nice. Then he called Wades one day and then they scheduled a time for him to come in and then we were set up from there. Tanya from customer service was really good. When you have a question, she always knows what the answer is. We didn't have a PIN pad before and have one now. I don't mind swiping it over on the side of the desk but it's more convenient for the customer. Also their rates are better as far as the processing fees.

Mark got me signed up with Total Merchant Services over the phone. I'm real comfortable with them and I trusted Mark so I switched over. Getting one for the business and almost felt like I couldn't get through, I was troubled but they were friendly, informative and raid on it immediately. It's more affordable, more welcoming, reassuring and entertained all my questions. Professional and efficient. So far, so great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Total Merchant Services

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this complaint. Our research indicates this merchant’s prior account was closed due to a negative collections balance of unpaid monthly billing. Once the merchant did contact our office to pay the outstanding balance, we agreed to open a new account without a co-signer, with updated processing parameters. The merchant was notified of the new parameters in his approval letter sent via email on March 16, 2017. In May 2017, the merchant ran multiple transactions outside of the set parameters. Because the transactions were so high, the merchant’s credit was unable to support the amount and our Risk Department made the decision to terminate the account due to potential risk exposure and chargebacks. Please let us know if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Customer Support

Total Merchant

Original review: May 24, 2017

I had this account for over two years possibly more. It was a Co-signed account based on my credit not being the greatest. I was ill a few months back and the account went into a hold while I was in the hospital because I had lost my checkbook and bank account changed so balance of under 100 wasn't paid. When I finally was able the resolve the issue I contacted Total Merchant Services and was told to pay the balance and the account would go back to normal to start accepting payments, I was not only told but guaranteed the account would go back to normal standing. Got a letter of unapproved the next day. When I reached back to them they told me they did a hard copy credit report without my knowledge or approval on me. So I was not approved based off my credit alone and they did not include the original cosigner on the account.

After hours of going back and forth they later realized they messed up bad and agreed to put my account back on with just me alone and not a cosigner knowing my credit was below what they would approve normally. I was told I would be fine as long as I follow guidelines which I always did and they will not shut me down based off my credit in future and would work with me. Here we are a few months later and they canceled my account based off my credit which still is low but actually higher than before. Never have I ever had a chargeback or anything bad with this account and have had it a long time.

I have orders I need to place today and this has become a nuisance to me and my business as I'm losing money now trying to resolve this issue. They told me I cannot even talk to the manager of customer service Nicole who handled this issue originally because quote unquote "I'm a risk," and they have discriminated me completely. They should be called Total Discrimination Services not Total Merchant. I am also filling a complaint with Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs Financial Bureau who already understand my hardship. I have documents to prove all this and if this doesn't get resolved soon will submit to them.

I was very happy with Total Merchant Services but things happen and I’m no longer with them. Instead of charging $2,500, I returned it. So I called the company and they said it was going to take seven days to do it. I told them I needed to do it right away because I am going to use the money and I can’t wait. When I tried to use the card again, it didn’t work. I called and they said they terminated my account. I already sent the machine back. It was my fault because I made a mistake. But it was good before that. First, the free equipment, processing fee and the rate was a lot lower and it didn’t take too long to do the money transfers to the account. Money was available right away. I called a couple of times and the personnel was very knowledgeable. I was very pleased with it and it’s a very good company to do business with even after what happened.

People use the card so it's a necessity in life now if you have a business. I have a hair salon, so I have to have a credit card machine. I was with another company for a few years and when my contract ran out I went with Total Merchant Services. I reached out to Total Merchant Services through a gentleman here in my town that was dealing with them. He said he has a good company for me, so I went with him because I could talk to him in person and he can help me whenever I have a problem. I'm a one-person salon and I don't need the big transaction machine so when we all had to change over, they found another way for me through the roaming jack and they worked with me on that to help me keep a system.

I've talked to their reps a few times, like when I had a mistake on a transaction and I needed to fix it immediately, and it has always been good. I've been working with them for about five years and I'm totally happy with them. They're reasonable on my charges. They're as adequate as you can get. The transactions take transaction time. That would be my only thing. I would love to see the money coming to my account faster but that's everybody's wish.

Total Merchant was a better company and they had better rates which were the reasons I switched to them. I use them for everything. I have an e-store, I do credit cards and I have a brick and mortar store. There seem to be more help and support if I have problems. I had a sale on my e-store and everything was approved but it hadn't been captured. So I called to find out if there was an issue and they helped me walk through it and capture my sale. We had had some storms and flooding and I had waited a few days to make sure that it wasn't a problem on my end like my internet being down. In less than 10 minutes, everything was fixed.

The rep also made sure that I was PCI compliant and she told me that a payment was due in August and another one shortly thereafter and we can combine them. She emailed me the form and I faxed it back to her after I filled it out. She was very helpful in getting things done and making sure, to the best of her ability, that I was where I needed to be in compliance with everything. It was a good experience and there was no yelling and screaming.

Also, if I've had any questions, I've been able to get whoever I needed to get. The only hiccup is that I've been trying to get a hold of the man that originally signed me up. I had to get out of the deal with the other company and there were some things I had to do and he was helping me with them. But he had to go and help other people and do some things. I can't get a hold of him now and I called in and was trying to find out if he still worked with Total Merchant and they reached out and sent him an email but I haven't heard anything yet. As a whole, I've been very satisfied. Things have been resolved quickly and efficiently. Total Merchant is more honest than some that I have talked to and dealt with, they have good equipment and their people are knowledgeable. I would tell other people to definitely give them a call because they are very helpful.

We've been using Total Merchant Services for eight years. They're very important to us especially more lately because a lot of people don’t use checks or cash. The system is really easy to use and recently, I switched to online billing processing so people can simply click a link and it connects with my scheduling system and everything is taken care of. I don’t even have to touch their credit card or have their number so it's even better. I also like having a phone app backup.

On the other hand, I used to have the terminal before I had an app. They did not notify me of other services or processing methods available so I left them for about four months. When I called to return their equipment, they asked why I would do that and I said I wanted an app on my phone or a swiper. They said they have those services which I should have been told six years ago. I switched to Intuit and I had a different swiper with them but I absolutely hated their billing system because they would charge every day instead of once a month. So they were nickel-and-diming me to death.

I then started using a new scheduling system with Total Merchant last year. There's a company that is integrated with the system and I intended to switch to that company. I tried calling Total Merchant and they didn’t know whoever I called, and didn’t even know what I was talking about. I was at a convention and I went up to a guy and told him my credit card history and he asked for my number. He said that I'm with them and I told him that they changed their name without telling me. I told him that they should be able to communicate with me better. But other than that, I love their process and service.

Total Merchant Services was fairly competitive and we liked the services that they offer. They were one of the companies we contacted when we were looking for a vendor for our credit card payments. Their customer service reps were very professional, friendly, and helpful. Every time I've called them with whatever issues I was having, everyone's been great to help me resolve it. We've been working with Total Merchant for three months now and it's doing exactly what we hired them to do. All in all, it has been very good.

I’ve had a different company in the past. They were good but then, their rates were through a bank and weren’t as competitive as Total Merchant’s. Most companies that try to service this area are home-based in other states. We're a seven-day a week tourist business and Total Merchant swears they can help you out in a day. Mike, the guy from Total Merchant Services, is actively here in Charleston and is a tremendous problem-solver. He never fails to answer the phone when needed. The best part about having them is the fact that I can stay up and running even when something happens with the machine. I don't lose business. I have to order credit card tape and they seem to get it together.

With Total Merchant, the equipment was free as long as I had so much in sales. I’m happy with it. Plus, their customer service is very helpful. I have been with them for about three months and it’s been great.

We've been with Total Merchant Services for three years and I have one customer service representative whom I go through and he has been awesome. He deals with them and helps me when I need something. I've already recommended Total Merchant Services.

I've been a member with Total Merchant Services for some time now. They were very helpful in terms of what I was actually looking for. In processing the credit card, they did not require me to maintain a certain amount and be put to a certain limit, so I like that. Furthermore, I could always call the customer service reps any time I had any questions about the statement. Whenever we had problems with the terminals or not batching it out, we could always call and reach out to them, and somebody was always able to walk us through and try to resolve any issues.

They've been very valuable to our company. They've been genuinely concerned about what we're doing, and they certainly made me feel very welcome. There were a couple of guys there that spent a lot of time with me and I remember Robert because we were emailing each other back and forth until we got things squared away. Just recently, we've got another thing going with them, with another terminal that's mobile. We could take it anywhere we go, and we don't need a phone line to operate it. That was really a big plus because there aren't too many merchants that offer anything like that.

I was initially signed up through a third-party processor who use Total Merchant Services. But I got tired of dealing with them so now, I’m just dealing directly with Total Merchant Services. I called them when I had various questions, when I was worried about seasonal status, and when there was a charge that should’ve been made and we got it all taken care of. I've been with Total Merchant for four years now and it's been a fabulous experience so far. They've been valuable to our company.

We've been working with Total Merchant Services for two years and they have been very valuable to our company because we have a lot of customers who use cards. I like the idea that when we have customers who call in their orders, we can use the machine to punch their orders. It's that simple and easy and the machine prints fast. I don't have to sit there and wait and wait and wait. It's a great machine. It’s just that in the beginning when they gave us the new machine, the print is so small, so we have a hard time reading it, and they said that they can't enlarge it.

I wanted to get a credit card machine and so I used Total Merchant Services. I went on their website and somebody contacted me. They gave me the low down on how much it cost and what the requirements were, such as confidentiality and stuff like that. Then I got the machine and my paper. I thought that the machine didn't work because I overlooked that I had to have internet service separate from where I had to organize the house. They sent me another machine. The telephone lines here are a little further work. Once I got it done, the machine worked.

Then I had to upgrade the modem that I had because the phone and cable slow down the reception. I got online and told them that there was more to get that up again. I put that up and I've been doing pretty good. I used my card to make sure it worked. It was fine by running my credit card, charged myself a penny and keep it going throughout the day.

The worst thing that happened was it wasn't hooked up as I thought it was. I tried to get a payment from a customer and that didn't happen. So I got in touch with somebody that I thought I had a cell phone number and apparently, that wasn't the correct number. I figured it on my own on how to get payment from the customer without using the credit card machine. I missed out on that opportunity but still got paid. It was uncomfortable because it was like barter trade as I won't collect the cash but still got paid. I'm still under construction so my sales are real slow and low right now. But I'm very satisfied with Total Merchant. They're fantastic and awesome. It has been a great experience.

I just opened a new company and thought it would be convenient to print out the receipt right there and have the customer sign it as opposed to just having it on the phone. The Total Merchant guy I originally spoke to sent me and locked in a quote saying that I was gonna get taxed $20 a month and it's lower than the average rate. The first time I ran the card, I thought maybe there's a mistake on my behalf of how much money they took out. It was a large percentage. One time they took $40 and another time they took $70, meanwhile on top of that they were taking out monthly fees. One month was $53 and then the next month was $180. They gave it back to me and then they did it again, which caused my bank to charge me $35 every time Total Merchant took money out and refunded it.

I canceled the service on the 10th of February. The guy told me word for word that they were no longer re-charging my account and that it's officially closed. I let them know that the unit was sent in the mail and that they should be getting it. I gave them the time and tracking number. They said they might have charged me $750 for the actual machine and if they do, they will reimburse my money. But that didn’t happen. They took another $53 out of my account, turned around, reimbursed it and then called me this morning to tell me that I owe $53 more. What's so weird is that they take my money, but they’ve been putting it back. I didn’t even notice this until I went to my bank the other day. Today they called me again because I put a red flag on that account so they can't keep charging and asked me about another credit card to pay them another $53. When I told them the fee, they hung up on me. It's been exhausting and I'm disappointed.

We've been with Wells Fargo and their rates were too high. I talked to a guy that's been using Total Merchant's service and then I applied. I've had a couple of questions and the customer service at Total Merchant always handled them really fast. For one, I entered a sale and it got turned down. And then I entered it again thinking that I made a mistake, but it also got turned down. I then called the client to see if she's at home. She might have had a cap on her account. But that one straightened itself out very easily with them. There was no issue at all. It was just on the client. Another person wanted to reverse his card, and that took a while to get it done. There was a weekend involved and different things like that, but I called in to see if they could expedite it. They have a certain amount of time to do a reversal. I informed the client of that, and he was a little upset but it got handled okay. I even sent him some extra merchandise.

One thing that seems a little different, though, is that they used to be a little quicker in putting the money in the account. A couple of years or so ago, when I would enter something on Monday, it would be in the account on Tuesday. Now if I enter on Monday, it won't be in until Wednesday and occasionally, but very rarely, on Thursday. Perhaps they're getting too big or they might have a cut-off date. What I'm gonna do is I'm going to order some things or put some money in the morning, because they might have a cut-off date, then in the afternoon, then in the evening. I'll see if they all come through at the same time or if some are earlier or later.

But Total Merchant Services is a valuable part of the company. I gotta have their credit card service. If it's not Total Merchant's, it'd be somebody else. In fact, if we couldn't take credit cards, my business would be a little lower. People call me and order stuff on the phone. So, I got to be able to do credit cards. I can have them mail a check. And I've sent things off before and put bills in them and I get the money back. But there's always going to be a first time where I won't get it. In that sense, the credit cards are the way to go. Overall, my experience with Total Merchant has been credible, reliable and favorable.

A friend of mine is a representative and he contacted me about using Total Merchant's service through them. Setting up with Total Merchant Services was really smooth. We’ve not had any issues that couldn’t be resolved quickly. My overall experience was exceptional.

We've been using Total Merchant Services for 10 years now. We used a different company before and then when we changed business and added another business. And somebody from Total Merchant Services called and said what their rates would be. It sounded better and that's what we went with. One time, my daughter called them about some fees that they take out at the first of the year that are passed on to the users. And the fees were a little bit more than they should have been cost-wise. They explained to us that there was nothing that they can do about it and they're allowed to pass that on. The whole charging that they do for the service is also too expensive for small businesses, which is definitely what we are. But our experience with them has been fine. We're paper-free and my daughter looks the statements up on the internet and she keeps track of that for me. We have recommended them to other business people here in town.

Total Merchant Services Company Profile