4.52/5
  • 1 star
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1996, Total Merchant Services has helped merchants in the U.S. and Canada grow their businesses by offering affordable products and payment solutions. As a trusted leader in the merchant services market, Total Merchant Services is committed to providing easy-to-use products to ensure their merchants are successful. We offer a variety of solutions for you to choose from, including: free credit card processing equipment, mobile processing solutions, internet card processing and Groovv Offers. Your business is our priority, which is why all of our customers are provided with 24/7 support. Call us today to learn how we can help your business!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 22, 2017

100 Total Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Chronic business robo call harassment!! These calls come from 918-524-9551! I have been getting these calls for over a year and have requested that they not call me, have registered FCC complaint, and have blocked them on my phone. Yet my blocked calls log shows they still persist in frequently calling my business? These people must think that if they bombard me with calls that somehow I will cave in & use their services? That will be a cold day in the fires of Hell!

Total Merchant Services response

Thank you, Jeff, for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for what you have experienced. As we discussed in our correspondence offline, the calls were coming from an independent sales partner. Our company’s best practices include being respectful to merchants, with a goal to help them improve their business with better rates and better service. We investigated this matter, and we believe the unwanted calls should stop.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The first POS system I had was a nightmare. It was ridiculous and I can’t get it to use the bank that I was going through. They kept telling me that they will send me a docking station and I don’t know what to do with all that stuff. No one would come and help me and the whole East Coast abroad was using the same docking station. I'm with Groovv now, and I like it. It's really good and I haven’t had any problems. The people from Total Merchant Services that I worked with got me right out of my bank and had my machine totally loaded up that’s got EVP, debit and credit card the next day. All I had to do was plug it in and go. It was great and they're awesome.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have a new business. I went to my cousin for a processing service and he recommended Total Merchant Services. I’ve been using their service since December. I had a couple of calls with their reps for certain things and educational stuff and everything has been great. Everyone has been professional and very helpful. Total Merchant keeps track of my ACH deposits, which is what I'm concerned about. Working with them has been very valuable. I have no complaints and I've recommended them to a couple of other people.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I’ve had Total Merchant Services for over six years. They’ve always helped me resolve technical problems with the equipment or processing that I can't figure out on my own. I switched over to an equipment that has a chip reader and it came in a box that said it will be up and running in five minutes. I called their technical support two times and did exactly what they said but it didn’t work. On the third call, they suggested a completely different approach but it took over an hour to get the new equipment running.

The equipment is difficult to install, set up and use. Another call was made when there were some problems that the charges at first weren't going through. Then we figured out how to run a charge and that they weren't batching overnight automatically. Each follow-up call was lengthy because it was complicated even for them. And I have absolutely no clue which codes to enter. I don’t find the equipment user-friendly which was my biggest complaint but technical support took whatever amount of time is necessary when things don’t work to make sure the technical issues are resolved so I appreciate that.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

We were about to go into an increase with our other service and we didn't think it was warranted. That's when Total Merchant’s salesman came and reached out to us. They had better prices so we went with them. The sales rep was an excellent person and I can call him directly if I have issues. We’ve been with them for five months now and everything has been taken care of to our satisfaction. We enjoyed doing business with them and we got everything the salesman promised us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Total Merchant Services’ rates were much better than Bank of America’s but what I like better with Bank of America is that we got our money the next day like if it’s Saturday or Sunday, we don’t have to wait until Tuesday. Other than that, everything is fine. We’ve had no problem with their customer service. They have always been helpful.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We’ve been using Total Merchant Services for a year and a half. The service is fine, so I have little trouble. When I call for service, they help me with everything.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I’ve had a really good luck with their customer service. They’re always great with answering my questions, and the wait time is never long, and I just call and get answered and then get back to my business.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

There was a function for our church and I had a brilliant idea that we should look into getting an ATM machine. So I went online and I looked up ATM machines and I filled out some form. The people who contacted me were out in Dayton, Ohio. They said that I really didn’t want an ATM machine and that I couldn’t afford it. So they hooked me up with the Point of Sales credit card device and that’s how I found Total Merchant Service. Their rep, Julia, had a wonderful sense of humor. She was a sweetheart and she answered all my questions. I told her upfront that I’m old and that all this new technology is way too new for me. She hooked me up with the right people, and they walked me through everything step-by-step. Also, the price that they originally quoted me ended up being higher than what our actual bill was, which was a pleasant surprise. I couldn’t be happier.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I’ve been pleased and completely satisfied with Total Merchant Services. I bought a business two years ago and they were what the previous owner was using. With the reputation that Total Merchant Services had, I stayed with them. Their reps were always helpful and they answered my questions whenever I have them. I was training on Total Merchant Services two years ago and I have the same employee that I started with that time. We seem to be doing just fine with it. They’re doing a good job.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

A salesperson from Total Merchant Services came here into the shop. Their product is completely different from the last one we used which was an app on my phone. It was a little bit more complicated because the swipe didn’t work. Using the terminal from Total Merchant Services, in this case, is a little easier. We’re a low-volume user and fortunately, we haven't had too many issues. A couple of weeks ago, I interacted with their customer service rep and she was very helpful and knowledgeable. She gave me some answers and helped me through something else I wanted to take care of regarding the compliance issue.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

The gentleman I went with suggested that I use Total Merchant. He has taken care of it all and that’s one of the features that I wanted – to not be the one to call them if I had issues. The one I have is for credit card processing. While I do not have reliability issues with it, there are features that I don’t like or need. I also don’t have the ability to send an email with a link for the client to process their own card. From my understanding, my representative is working on trying to gain this for me. Their product is always performing well so far. I haven’t had any problems with it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We had a gentleman come in from Total Merchant and offered us a good rate. At the time, it seemed like it was a good deal. But now, the rate is very high. We’ve only been here at the restaurant for two months and we’re trying to figure out everything as we go. After we did all the initial fees, things got really too much. The very first fee was close to $300 and I didn’t expect it to be only a month in. I wasn’t happy with that because they’re taking a big chunk of my money, so we’re trying to shop around. Also, the deposits don’t go in right away. For instance, I had a party on Thursday and I ran all the credit cards. We were out of here by 10:30 at night, but I didn’t see the deposits come in until Tuesday. I’m trying to figure out why it took so long.

We have the Groovv Flex and it’s a horrible machine. It doesn’t work well at all. I don’t know how to handle it pretty much and I let my brother handle it because I’m the chef and the owner. Every time I look up, it’s either the machine is not processing or working the way we wanted it to. I was also trying to print out the report and I couldn’t do it because it was not going through. The internet wasn’t connecting to it. It’s such a pain in the butt. One Sunday, a couple of weeks ago, we’re a busy house and a lot of people were in. When people paid, the machine went down on us. We couldn’t call anybody because Total Merchant isn’t open on Sundays. We really lost lots of dollars that day from not being able to process the credit cards. Even today, when a client comes up here to pay, it would be a mess. It’s so disappointing. I’m greatly dissatisfied with Total Merchant Services.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I purchased a new software package and it is a cash register, inventory, website, email and marketing tool. And they recommended a different company for our processor. We had a lot of difficulty with them over about a four-day period. So, I called and asked for somebody else and they suggested Total Merchant Services. Everyone seems to be very friendly and they’re working to get things done in a very timely fashion and I’m impressed. Everything has been excellent so far.

Original review: July 30, 2017

The customer service of Total Merchant Services was good and I didn’t have any problems with their equipment like I did with Square and another company. I opened my store in May and my sales have increased since I've had them in June. Their pricing is good and I’m glad that they have people that answer their phone. They are unlike the other two companies I had to work with who would leave a message to leave your number so they could call you back and you never hear from them when I had problems or questions. Overall, it has been an excellent experience.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Total Merchant Services reached out to us and we were with them for about three years. The setup process was streamlined and there were no issues. They allowed us to process credit cards and they were invaluable during the time. But we switched because I found a wholesale company and so my fees just went down by close to $200 a month.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I picked Total Merchant because at that time, they offered the very best rate. I will be going on my fourth year with them and the support has been outstanding. They have their act together and they are a very impressive and valuable company to us. I very much enjoy them and I let other people know how wonderful my experience is all the time.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We were looking for a credit card processor company then and we went with Total Merchant Services. They have a fair price and their customer service has been very helpful. I've been with them for three years now and I find them very valuable.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I’ve had excellent service anytime I’ve call Total Merchant Services. I'm very pleased with the service I get. They are very helpful and they have been very valuable to my company. Customer service is excellent. I have other companies call trying to get me to switch and because of the service I get I don’t even look elsewhere.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I worked with Total Merchant Services for a couple of months. I've decided that I wasn’t going to be using credit card at this time so I had to cancel my account. Their customer service reps were always professional, polite and prompt.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Total Merchant Services reached out to me at the right time because I just started and I was looking for a way to do credit cards. But I’m out in the county and I don’t have phone lines. I do a mobile service with the lawnmowers and small equipment but I need something universal where I could take the credit cards and do it on-site or off-site. I have no complaints at all with their customer service. They’ve been very helpful anytime I’ve needed it and everything has worked great since I’ve had it. I’ve been with them for six months. The ability to take cards increases my customer base and makes it easier for my customers to pay me. They’ve been very valuable.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I liked what Total Merchant Services had to offer, and the machine was new and available. I had to switch to a machine that would accept chip cards. The percentages they told me they were going to charge seemed to be more reasonable than what I was working with. Customer service has been great. This year, I did my compliance and had confirmation that I was all set to open in the spring. Then the day that we opened, the credit card machine didn’t work. I called, and the rep was able to get it taken care of on the second call. They told me at first that they are not able to take care of it until Monday and I called on Friday because they were closed over the weekend. It didn’t work and I said, “I need my machine.” I called the person with whom I opened the account with and got it taken care of the same day. It was wonderful and I'm very happy with the company.

Original review: June 22, 2017

We have used Total Merchant for a long time and they're excellent. I have one terminal with them which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Maybe the internet or something inside it is wrong. But we like the rate and the service is very good. We also called before and they solved the problem right away.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Several companies called me and said they’re ready to hook me up. But I don't get $5,000 a month yet. I'm a small business. Total Merchant Services offered the debit card reader that all the major stores use and they offer it to small businesses too. They’re absolutely amazing and fabulous. They sent everything and didn’t charge me for any of their services. I even called and got a tech support on the phone.

I have been working with Total Merchant about a month and I noticed the change the very first day. I was using Square and I don’t get a printed receipt. With Total Merchant, it prints a receipt where they put my address and business name. They also have a fantastic reporting service that I can see online. It literally took me 15 minutes on the phone at most to do everything that I needed to do. The first card reader they sent didn’t do debt. I miscommunicated. And when I realized my error, they said, “Oh, no problem.” And they turned around and sent me another one plus a return receipt to send the other one back. And immediately, too, with no charge. I know that cost them money to do it. And I don’t have to pay for paper for the printer. It’s crazy good. I’m super happy.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I knew the guy that turned me in to Total Merchant Services. I have used them for a year and a half now and they have helped the company. I had to call in because of the downloads and they worked quickly. So far, my experience has been good.

Original review: May 29, 2017

When we had the merchant processor previously, it was through the bank we were doing business with but we switched banks. We needed to change our processor too so I decided to take a look at everything that’s available. Total Merchant's fees were excellent and they were providing the terminal at no charge which was a plus. When I’ve had to call one of their technical support people, they’ve been outstanding. We run through a DSL line and we were having some problems with our AT&T DSL, so we had to switch things over to the phone line. They were very helpful with that and also, as far as a credit card that didn’t go through correctly, they fixed it. Everything has been really handled very professionally. I’m one of the first people that want to pat companies on the back when they do a good job and we’ve been really happy with them. They're everything I expected and more. I’m really happy I made the switch.

Original review: May 27, 2017

We had just switched in the beginning of last month and so far our experience with Total Merchant Services has been really good. We haven't really had any bumps on the road to have to contact them for any other reasons. Jack was the guy who was taking care of us. He was the regional director and was really nice. Then he called Wades one day and then they scheduled a time for him to come in and then we were set up from there. Tanya from customer service was really good. When you have a question, she always knows what the answer is. We didn't have a PIN pad before and have one now. I don't mind swiping it over on the side of the desk but it's more convenient for the customer. Also their rates are better as far as the processing fees.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Mark got me signed up with Total Merchant Services over the phone. I'm real comfortable with them and I trusted Mark so I switched over. Getting one for the business and almost felt like I couldn't get through, I was troubled but they were friendly, informative and raid on it immediately. It's more affordable, more welcoming, reassuring and entertained all my questions. Professional and efficient. So far, so great.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I had this account for over two years possibly more. It was a Co-signed account based on my credit not being the greatest. I was ill a few months back and the account went into a hold while I was in the hospital because I had lost my checkbook and bank account changed so balance of under 100 wasn't paid. When I finally was able the resolve the issue I contacted Total Merchant Services and was told to pay the balance and the account would go back to normal to start accepting payments, I was not only told but guaranteed the account would go back to normal standing. Got a letter of unapproved the next day. When I reached back to them they told me they did a hard copy credit report without my knowledge or approval on me. So I was not approved based off my credit alone and they did not include the original cosigner on the account.

After hours of going back and forth they later realized they messed up bad and agreed to put my account back on with just me alone and not a cosigner knowing my credit was below what they would approve normally. I was told I would be fine as long as I follow guidelines which I always did and they will not shut me down based off my credit in future and would work with me. Here we are a few months later and they canceled my account based off my credit which still is low but actually higher than before. Never have I ever had a chargeback or anything bad with this account and have had it a long time.

I have orders I need to place today and this has become a nuisance to me and my business as I'm losing money now trying to resolve this issue. They told me I cannot even talk to the manager of customer service Nicole who handled this issue originally because quote unquote "I'm a risk," and they have discriminated me completely. They should be called Total Discrimination Services not Total Merchant. I am also filling a complaint with Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs Financial Bureau who already understand my hardship. I have documents to prove all this and if this doesn't get resolved soon will submit to them.

Total Merchant Services response
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this complaint. Our research indicates this merchant’s prior account was closed due to a negative collections balance of unpaid monthly billing. Once the merchant did contact our office to pay the outstanding balance, we agreed to open a new account without a co-signer, with updated processing parameters. The merchant was notified of the new parameters in his approval letter sent via email on March 16, 2017. In May 2017, the merchant ran multiple transactions outside of the set parameters. Because the transactions were so high, the merchant’s credit was unable to support the amount and our Risk Department made the decision to terminate the account due to potential risk exposure and chargebacks. Please let us know if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Customer Support

Total Merchant

Original review: May 21, 2017

I was very happy with Total Merchant Services but things happen and I’m no longer with them. Instead of charging $2,500, I returned it. So I called the company and they said it was going to take seven days to do it. I told them I needed to do it right away because I am going to use the money and I can’t wait. When I tried to use the card again, it didn’t work. I called and they said they terminated my account. I already sent the machine back. It was my fault because I made a mistake. But it was good before that. First, the free equipment, processing fee and the rate was a lot lower and it didn’t take too long to do the money transfers to the account. Money was available right away. I called a couple of times and the personnel was very knowledgeable. I was very pleased with it and it’s a very good company to do business with even after what happened.

Total Merchant Services Company Information