Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars1
  • 3 stars0
  • 2 stars1
  • 1 stars1

Since 1996, Total Merchant Services has helped merchants in the U.S. and Canada grow their businesses by offering affordable products and payment solutions. As a trusted leader in the merchant services market, Total Merchant Services is committed to providing easy-to-use products to ensure their merchants are successful. We offer a variety of solutions for you to choose from, including: free credit card processing equipment, mobile processing solutions, internet card processing and Groovv Offers. Your business is our priority, which is why all of our customers are provided with 24/7 support. Call us today to learn how we can help your business!

Everything’s been great with Total Merchant Services. We wanted a machine that we could swipe credit cards on since we didn’t have one in the past. We ran through QuickBooks on a computer with our Intuit Merchant Services, but we added a physical location. I had asked Intuit if they would give me a swiper but they were gonna charge me $70-some for it. I had been using QuickBooks and paying their fees for 13 years with Intuit Services so it’s ridiculous. I was pissed so I told them that I’ll find somebody else. That's when I found Total Merchant Services and we've been working with them for a couple of years now. I have people who walk-in to buy our kits and products in our little studio because we manufacture jewelry. My hired employees can now take their credit cards and swipe it. Total has great service and it’s been very smooth and easy, and everything’s worked very well. So, we’re pleased.

I really like Total Merchant Services. They’re really helping me out. I opened a restaurant on June 22nd and it got a couple of bars in it and stuff. I was running on Fifth Third credit card system until I got on my feet a little bit. I found Total Merchant online and they had a great deal that I couldn’t pass up. I've been working with them for three weeks now. I had problems, at first, with one of their machines and they immediately FedExed one out to me. They’ve been excellent and very friendly. The service has been great.

We had Total Merchant Services because it would be better for our business to get the credit card machine. We have them for five years now and it's been very valuable and it is a much more efficient process to go with a machine instead of a cash or check. However, I am dissatisfied with them and the only reason why is because the price keeps going up for the credit card machine. It seems like we have to adjust quite often for the charges and its hard to read the statements.

I love Total Merchant Services. When my first year came around, I was charged the usage fee and $100. I was confused. I called them and they explained everything. They did some adjustments for me, which was kind. Two weeks ago, I reached out to them because once a year or once every other year, I'm supposed to do the compliance quiz to make sure I'm up-to-date on it. I wasn't aware of being charged $20 extra a month because I hadn't completed the quiz. So I did that and I'm trying to stay on top of it. My only issue is that it takes two days to get my money. But, I'm happy with them and refer my friends to them.

I met with one of Total Merchant Services' agents and the fees and the service that he was offering was more appealing than the rest. Every time I call them, I get excellent customer service. They also accept all cards so that’s a good thing for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

A friend of mine does ATMs and credit cards. He's the one who decided for me to get Total Merchant Services. I called them to ask a couple of questions and they answered it thoroughly. I've been using them for a few years now and they have been valuable to my company.

Total Merchant Services provides our credit card processing service. It has been a 15-month relationship with them prior for the company that I just joined recently. They've been very valuable because many of our clients want the ability to pay by credit card and they provided a great service to those who needed it. Their customer service team has been very helpful. The person I worked with was exceptional, always working diligently to get me an answer to my questions since I was very new to this. I had never really worked where I was responsible for processing credit card payments, and he made it seamless and very easy so I appreciated that. Even when I had questions about different things, he was very patient to take me through things step by step. That part has been great especially when I’d try to take notes on the conversation and it just didn’t come out right and I'd have to call back. I'm very satisfied with them.

Total Merchant Services was very good. I've had them for five months already. Everything was great with the customer service. I had a question about not receiving a monthly statement and they said they don’t send me one and it’s just what it is online. So far, Total Merchant has been very valuable to my company. There are a couple of other places that use them as well and they said they are the best thing since sliced bread. I also tried getting a friend of mine on a couple of diners that she owns to switch to Total Merchant.

I've been working with Total Merchant Services for a couple of years. They included a terminal in their proposal. They seem to do things fine and we've been happy with them. A lot of people use their credit cards and companies need to have somebody to process them. You can't be in a business without it these days. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with them.

I've used Total Merchant Services for three seasons now for my fireworks stand. A friend used it in their business and told me about it. It has increased our sales every year. We’ve put more stuff out and 50% of our sales this year was from credit cards. The only problem is that I’m trying to get the card reader sent back because I am a seasonal business and will just get it back again next June, but I am being charged for rental. I’ve talked to three people and I’m waiting for my labels to show up. But I’m ready to use Total Merchant Services again next year. The guy and the gals I’ve talked in customer service have been very polite and willing to listen to my problem and the machine works so easy for me. I’d tried Square for one year and it was terrible. I was about ready to throw my iPhone away.

I was using Square at the time and it wasn't professional. I have that little device on my cellphone and ask the customers their phone number every time they want to purchase some liquor so I could send them a text message of the receipt. Dealing with seven customers at a time, the process was slow. Then one day, a sales rep who came to the store brought it up to my attention. I saw the Total Merchant and he told me about it. I looked on it and saw the difference.

The experience is great. I called tech support when they sent me the device and they were very friendly and patient. I asked them to hold for a couple of minutes when I had customers came in. Every time I need something, they get the situation done for me. I was satisfied. I like Total Merchant Services better. It performs the job and looks more professional. When customers come, it doesn't take that extra minute. I just put in the amount of the purchase, swipe or insert the chip, and key in the PIN code. I get my receipt with my business name printed and all extra stuff and the customer gets a copy. However, with Total Merchant, I get my funds in two to three business days while with Square, I get it the next day. But it's really not a big deal.

We had a problem with our first credit card machine and the company wouldn’t come and service it. My son had used Greg from Total Merchant Services before and that’s the reason we went with him. Every time we’ve ever had to call anybody, they’ve been good and I’m not having to wait on somebody, hoping they’ll come. I would definitely use them again if I had to go somewhere else and open up another business because I’ve not had a problem. And what problems I have had, they’ve come and checked it out. I would highly recommend them to other people.

My machine stopped last night, the paper got caught up and I couldn't read any of it so I called Total Merchant Services so I can get a reprint or they can send it to me. Their rep was very friendly and she was super helpful. She took care of it within a couple of minutes and she made sure everything was done right away. That was the fastest I've ever had anybody help me.

We had someone come to the store and told us about Total Merchant Services, so we decided to switch over. Everything went very smooth and their reps were great. It was an easy transition to the new machine. It’s also very easy to understand and it works great.

Total Merchant Services had the product/services that we needed to provide for our company and they've always been a good company. I’ve been with them for as long as I have because I like the product and services that they provide. I am a retail store so I need to take credit card transactions. It's been fast and efficient and I never have any kind of problems. They also supply me with paper so I don’t have to buy it. Every customer representative that I’ve dealt with has always been very informative and they’ve helped me get my problems fixed immediately.

My friend, who is an agent, introduced me to Total Merchant Services. The customer service was friendly and very good. They have been professional, knowledgeable and very helpful to my company. They are very patient and have quick response. When I have a question, I could ask them.

I was looking to be able to accept Visa and MasterCard and somebody hooked up with Total Merchant Services. They are very valuable as they handle our credit card purchases through our website. Any time I've ever questioned a charge of theirs, I'd call them up and they'd help me out right away. I've been working with them for 10 years and it's been a great working relationship.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was fed up with my last company. Then a guy from Total Merchant services came in just off the street and he beat their deal. They have good rates and service and they have been fantastic to work with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed to get a machine for my business. Total Merchant Services' customer service rep was not very helpful at all. They didn't tell me that my customers couldn't use gift cards. Every time my customers paid with gift cards, they declined it, and then they shut down my machine. They came back and said that they can't do business anymore, which was very unprofessional. I would not recommend Total Merchant to anybody as I am very dissatisfied with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I felt being treated unfairly by the service we were using since they were charging very high rates. I ended up going with Total Merchant because their prices were reasonable and it seemed like the right thing to do. I worked with them for several years, and their service has been very valuable, however, I'm not with them anymore because of the cost of the service. My business has slowed down and they were unable to adjust their fees, so during the last month that I was with them, they made more money than I did. My experiences with their customer service worked out well. Their reps were informative, and in fact, even when I called to cancel, they were so nice.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've used Total Merchant Services now for almost six years. They were fast and efficient. I was totally happy with them and if I called them with a problem they'd answer and they would fix it. Their service was great. The only thing I wasn’t happy with was when sales were low it seemed like the payments went higher percentage-wise and it made it not worth it for me to continue with the regular machine that I had.

So I sent that back and we did the little chip with the iPhone because my business actually changed in Vegas. I went from doing real good business for about three years to two and a half years of barely making it with the way it was set up. That made it real hard on me, which has nothing to do with Total Merchant Services. They were fine, it's just that percentage rates weren't. And even after I was no longer in business out there and not using the machine during that time, it's still costing me close to a 100 or over 100 a month without running anything and so I wasn’t happy with that. So I called them to cancel it and only for that reason.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got referred to Total Merchant Services by a friend because of their low interest rate or percentage. They were taking lower percentage than the other banks. The only problem I had recently is the percentage that Total Merchant was charging me changed. I noticed it and called them to see how much the percentage went up, and they said they didn't know, but they can see on my bank statements that they are taking more money than they used to.

I like calling in and getting help from Customer Service. Every time that I call, the reps are very courteous, helpful, and take care of the business right away or let me know what to do. I noticed that beginning of every year, in January, there are extra charges. So I called them and they let me know how to take care of that. I just have to go online and do a few things, and then the percentage goes down again.

We've been very happy with the service from Total Merchant Services. We had heard they would be less expensive than the one we started with, and they were. There's been a problem or two and it seems they've sorted things out.

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Total Merchant Services was founded in 1996 and provides merchant services for businesses across the United States and Canada. Their services allow businesses to accept all major credit and debit cards, including EBT, without signing a contract.

• No contract: You never have to sign a monthly contract to work with Total Merchant Services.
  • Free readers and terminals: Total Merchant Services clients receive free state-of-the-art, multi-application credit card readers and processing terminals that are shipped at no cost to you. The company will work with you to decide which free terminal type makes the most sense for your business.
  • Mobile processing: Entrepreneurs who are constantly working on-the-go will appreciate Total Merchant Services’ Payment Jack card swipe. The card swipe easily turns any smartphone into a secure credit card terminal. Receive your free card swiper and software when you open your account.
  • Online processing: Total Merchant Services has web-based terminal options for e-commerce sites and other businesses that conduct transactions over the Internet. Use a virtual terminal to log on and process transactions. You can also use an e-commerce solution, which will connect your website to a variety of online shopping carts directly.
  • Online support and resources: Find the answers you need about your equipment using Total Merchant Services’ online quick reference guides. The company’s website has additional resources for clients, including forms, merchant reference links and the option to view your statement online. You can also always call their US-based customer service team to answer any of your questions or concerns.
  • Customized processing services: Customize your account with additional services available from Total Merchant Services, including gift card acceptance, loyalty program, cash advance and check acceptance.
  • Best for Total Merchant Services is best for brick and mortar, mobile and online businesses and vendors.

Total Merchant Services Company Profile