toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I wanted to get a credit card machine and so I used Total Merchant Services. I went on their website and somebody contacted me. They gave me the low down on how much it cost and what the requirements were, such as confidentiality and stuff like that. Then I got the machine and my paper. I thought that the machine didn't work because I overlooked that I had to have internet service separate from where I had to organize the house. They sent me another machine. The telephone lines here are a little further work. Once I got it done, the machine worked.

Then I had to upgrade the modem that I had because the phone and cable slow down the reception. I got online and told them that there was more to get that up again. I put that up and I've been doing pretty good. I used my card to make sure it worked. It was fine by running my credit card, charged myself a penny and keep it going throughout the day.

The worst thing that happened was it wasn't hooked up as I thought it was. I tried to get a payment from a customer and that didn't happen. So I got in touch with somebody that I thought I had a cell phone number and apparently, that wasn't the correct number. I figured it on my own on how to get payment from the customer without using the credit card machine. I missed out on that opportunity but still got paid. It was uncomfortable because it was like barter trade as I won't collect the cash but still got paid. I'm still under construction so my sales are real slow and low right now. But I'm very satisfied with Total Merchant. They're fantastic and awesome. It has been a great experience.

I just opened a new company and thought it would be convenient to print out the receipt right there and have the customer sign it as opposed to just having it on the phone. The Total Merchant guy I originally spoke to sent me and locked in a quote saying that I was gonna get taxed $20 a month and it's lower than the average rate. The first time I ran the card, I thought maybe there's a mistake on my behalf of how much money they took out. It was a large percentage. One time they took $40 and another time they took $70, meanwhile on top of that they were taking out monthly fees. One month was $53 and then the next month was $180. They gave it back to me and then they did it again, which caused my bank to charge me $35 every time Total Merchant took money out and refunded it.

I canceled the service on the 10th of February. The guy told me word for word that they were no longer re-charging my account and that it's officially closed. I let them know that the unit was sent in the mail and that they should be getting it. I gave them the time and tracking number. They said they might have charged me $750 for the actual machine and if they do, they will reimburse my money. But that didn’t happen. They took another $53 out of my account, turned around, reimbursed it and then called me this morning to tell me that I owe $53 more. What's so weird is that they take my money, but they’ve been putting it back. I didn’t even notice this until I went to my bank the other day. Today they called me again because I put a red flag on that account so they can't keep charging and asked me about another credit card to pay them another $53. When I told them the fee, they hung up on me. It's been exhausting and I'm disappointed.

We've been with Wells Fargo and their rates were too high. I talked to a guy that's been using Total Merchant's service and then I applied. I've had a couple of questions and the customer service at Total Merchant always handled them really fast. For one, I entered a sale and it got turned down. And then I entered it again thinking that I made a mistake, but it also got turned down. I then called the client to see if she's at home. She might have had a cap on her account. But that one straightened itself out very easily with them. There was no issue at all. It was just on the client. Another person wanted to reverse his card, and that took a while to get it done. There was a weekend involved and different things like that, but I called in to see if they could expedite it. They have a certain amount of time to do a reversal. I informed the client of that, and he was a little upset but it got handled okay. I even sent him some extra merchandise.

One thing that seems a little different, though, is that they used to be a little quicker in putting the money in the account. A couple of years or so ago, when I would enter something on Monday, it would be in the account on Tuesday. Now if I enter on Monday, it won't be in until Wednesday and occasionally, but very rarely, on Thursday. Perhaps they're getting too big or they might have a cut-off date. What I'm gonna do is I'm going to order some things or put some money in the morning, because they might have a cut-off date, then in the afternoon, then in the evening. I'll see if they all come through at the same time or if some are earlier or later.

But Total Merchant Services is a valuable part of the company. I gotta have their credit card service. If it's not Total Merchant's, it'd be somebody else. In fact, if we couldn't take credit cards, my business would be a little lower. People call me and order stuff on the phone. So, I got to be able to do credit cards. I can have them mail a check. And I've sent things off before and put bills in them and I get the money back. But there's always going to be a first time where I won't get it. In that sense, the credit cards are the way to go. Overall, my experience with Total Merchant has been credible, reliable and favorable.

A friend of mine is a representative and he contacted me about using Total Merchant's service through them. Setting up with Total Merchant Services was really smooth. We’ve not had any issues that couldn’t be resolved quickly. My overall experience was exceptional.

We've been using Total Merchant Services for 10 years now. We used a different company before and then when we changed business and added another business. And somebody from Total Merchant Services called and said what their rates would be. It sounded better and that's what we went with. One time, my daughter called them about some fees that they take out at the first of the year that are passed on to the users. And the fees were a little bit more than they should have been cost-wise. They explained to us that there was nothing that they can do about it and they're allowed to pass that on. The whole charging that they do for the service is also too expensive for small businesses, which is definitely what we are. But our experience with them has been fine. We're paper-free and my daughter looks the statements up on the internet and she keeps track of that for me. We have recommended them to other business people here in town.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

With Total Merchant Services I'm able to take bank cards when I need to. I did it many years before, but then the prices got so high so I quit doing it for a long time. Now I'm doing it again and it's easier. It enables people to pay for services. They give you what they say they're going to give you and they're easy to work with. They're all professional, polite, nice and helpful. It's been an enjoyable and seamless experience.

I had Total Merchant Services for about eight months. My girlfriend dealt with them in setting up the service. We probably made $50 on cards the whole time we had them. A lot of people just want cash or check, and that's fine with me. However, we were getting charged monthly but we weren't making money, and if I'm not making money, then there's no sense in having them. But the Customer Service reps were okay when I asked them to cancel my service. It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't great.

I love Total Merchant Services. The customer service representatives have been very helpful. I had a problem with the IRS deducting money from my deposit using the service, and they did what they could do and helped me. They researched it and figured out why I wasn’t getting all my money. They emailed me, got the services taken care of and sent my money within a very timely manner. I’m a small business person and I’m very pleased with Total Merchant Services. It helps me here with the parents who don’t have cash and want to pay with their credit cards. And there are people who have accounts with their jobs that give you debit card to pay for the day care. Overall, I’m happy with the service.

I couldn't utilize my account so I reached out to Total Merchant Services. They're great and I'm very satisfied with them. However, I'm kind of an old-fashioned gal and I really wish that I could get my paper stuff and not get everything electronic.

I have a home-based business and I go to fairs and festivals so I needed a way to have a credit card reader. I signed up with Total Merchant Services and so far, it has been great. A lot of people don't carry enough cash with them so if they can put stuff on a credit card, that's good. The credit card reader is also easy to use. And the other thing that's really good is I'm in the rural a lot of times and there's no cell signal. But this machine runs on batteries during the day and it keeps it charged, and then I can plug it in at night. It's good that it doesn't run down real quick during the day or I don't need electricity to run it. I got a good deal having Total Merchant.

We reached out to Total Merchant because we wanted to make use of credit card services. A while ago, my card swiper was broken and I needed to replace it so I contacted them. Their customer service was great and they answered my questions. They have been very valuable to us and they are a good company to work with.

I have been with Total Merchant Services for 10yrs now and they are consistent. Working with their customer service has been good. They can do certain things and using them is so valuable. So far, things have been satisfactory and I’d definitely recommend them.

Total Merchant Services' customer service is always great. I had an issue with somebody who was working for them and I ended up changing reps and accounts, but I called Total Merchant's inside sales and took care of that. They've been very valuable to our company.

A salesman from total merchant Services offer to charge 0.05 cents per % and I decide to sign but for my 3 stores but when I get the machines I found out that the machines does not work in my area; So I call the salesman Erick ** and he promise to send me better machines that will catch the signal at my area, but when the machines arrived and found out that they didn't.

So I call the salesman and he promise to cancel the account and send a call tag return their machines back; but instead of sending a call tag, Total Merchant Services charge me my bank $132.23. Please notice that I wasn't able to use their machines. When I call Total Merchant Services customer services the service manager in a very rude words told me that that is the service charge and is charged if I use or not the machines. The salesman Erick ** at El Paso Texas branch has promise me to refund my money several times but I haven't see a single cent back and he is not answering or returning my calls anymore. Total Merchant Services is total scam. "STAY AWAY FROM THEM". c/c Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, YOUTUBE, TWITER AND ALL MY CUSTOMERS AND friends.

I initially got Total Merchant because I was looking for a minor fee associated with credit card processing and better ways of doing it other than accepting cash and not really any credit processing. We've had Total Merchant Services for a month and a half now and they've been extremely helpful and valuable to my company.

We have significantly benefitted from the devices that they offer for free with our account. They're integrating their system into the company, office, building or commercial area. Then, their generalized fee per transaction amount is very excellent. though they're doing very good, we all get our little hiccups with the service. I'm still trying to get the correct name when a transaction goes on a credit or debit card. It shows my business and what is put on that statement but it's not spelled out correctly and it has repeated points that are not done correctly. I've been trying to reach out to somebody to get it taken care of among the other things.

Total Merchant Services called and offered me a better rate than what I had. The couple of different people I spoke with were all very helpful, easy to talk to and answered all the questions. I have them since middle of November and their fees are cheaper so I'm saving some money.

With Total Merchant Services, we've received our funding in a timely fashion and I don't have to worry about getting the money that people are using their cards for, about how quick is it going to come and if I'm gonna get the proper amount. I hang up on other companies that said they'll give me a price quote or asked me to send our month's or two month's billing and hope that Total Merchant Services are giving me the best deal in town and that everything's going like it's supposed to.

I have always been pleased with the company. I had a client asked if their payment had been processed and because of the discounting, I looked at one number that we put down and then at my bank account and there's another number. It was close but the dates were fine. I wanted to verify that and found out that I was using a wrong website but Total Merchant Services corrected me. They gave me all the information and the person I spoke with was excellent. She was kind, understanding and led me right through to go to the new website and showed me where to check a couple of things.

Also, I had called to ask if we could possibly have individualized accounting. We don't have a high volume of clients so I felt like it would be good if we had the terminal saying one came in at $6.20 and another came in at $2,000 so I can see three, four or five a day coming in, and a young lady walked me through and stuck with me as she updated the terminal and everything was great.

I have some equipment from Total Merchant Services. We have the Groovv POS - the compact, all in one. It's the cash drawer and printer in one. Then, it has the tablet and the terminal off to the side. Then, I have another one that is an actual cash drawer, the printer is separate and the tablet goes with it. I don't know what's going on with the latter, but it interrupts the whole Groovv system. It wants me to download Uber and all these other stuff. Then, the cash drawer will pop open then, all the cash is exposed within that drawer and it prints out a receipt all on its own repeatedly. It keeps happening to the point where I don't even keep the printer on anymore. Only when I need to. It has been replaced once, but I'm ready to send it sailing out the front door.

Then the other one has startup issues. It will boot up, and then it will shut down, and then I'll have to go through the whole boot up or I get another time right away. It takes forever sending a signal to the terminal. Sometimes, I have to reboot the entire system because it won't send it to the terminal. We'll sit here and wait until it comes back and says that the request has been denied or says it can't send it at this time. Then, as soon as I reboot the system, it works right away. But have to all the way back through those reboot procedures and shut the tablet completely down. I get customers that are standing here for five minutes waiting on to pay.

Another huge problem is that these two devices do not talk. It's nice being able to automatically track my sales and things of that nature. Especially, when it comes time to file for quarterly taxes. But the fact that the two systems don't talk and the glitches that are going on with both of them, it's a complete headache. I like having the systems here. It brings a certain amount of professionalism to my barber shop. But these problems make me very dissatisfied with it.

Factual basis uncertain

Total Merchant Services

Superior customer service is our #1 objective as we make every effort to ensure an excellent customer experience. Accordingly, if our merchant’s expectations are not met, it is imperative we understand and address any issues. When this account was opened in June of 2011 the fees and rates assessed were those signed for and agreed to by the merchant. The signed agreement states that the merchant has thirty (30) days from the date of a specific billing charge to dispute any fee the merchant deems to be erroneous. Timely notification could have occurred within thirty (30), sixty (60), or even ninety (90) days. The service generates a monthly billing charge unless the merchant requests to have the account closed. Additionally, cancellation of an account would require a signed cancellation form or a conversation with the primary owner of the account. Neither procedure has ever occurred. Following the cancellation of an account the merchant would receive a cancellation confirmation as well as a return label to return any outstanding equipment (if necessary.) These would serve as proof of cancellation for the merchant. The lack of confirmation of closure as well as continued billing charges on a monthly basis would serve as an alert to the merchant that the account was still open. The merchant advised they did see the billing charge on their statement however it was disregarded. Monthly statements are available online and can also be mailed per the merchant's request. Per call logs and history on the merchant's account, communication regarding any inquiry to the billing charges was not received. In fact, the merchant has never called into our corporate office to discuss their merchant account. The account was closed effective May 26, 2016 by our Financial Solutions Department. In no way has our company acted fraudulently. However, as a courtesy, we have waived the outstanding balance of $80.42.

Please let us know if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

Customer Support

Total Merchant

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

We have terminated service. They then charged our account again. We contacted bank and got charges reversed. TMS then changed their name ACH and charged again. Bank deemed fraud. Now in collection...

I needed a company that has EBT transaction for a mobile unit, so we reached out to Total Merchant Services. I've been working with them for a year now and so far, they've been fantastic. I couldn't find anybody better. I've had other credit card companies, but they're the one that's been the most honest with me. So, I deal with them and would definitely recommend them.

Oscar, the person who handles our accounts, was with my old bank. I already knew him and he’s a really good person. If I ever have a problem, he’s a phone call or a text away. He was the biggest reason we went with Total Merchant Services. There were a lot of other people trying to get our accounts and they’ve been trying to beat the price and everything else, however, I say they can’t beat the service that Oscar provides. He’s that top of a service person. He’s very dedicated, knowledgeable, and anything that we have a question about and when we need to make a change, he’s right on it. If my employees have a problem, he would be patient and walked them through whatever the situation was. In fact, I see him once a year when I’m down at Key West. I got to have lunch with him the other day when we were down there. It was good to see him.

I've been working with Total Merchant Services for at least 15 years. We had our bank process our credit cards to start with. And then Oscar was working with another bank, and he said he can do our account even though we're not with the same bank. That’s how we started. Any time there’s been any problem, it’s been addressed. Ever since we did the last change a couple of years ago, my deposit records are a lot easier, and that was one of the things that was always complicated. Sometimes, getting paid for American Express can be four days later on the deposit draw, but it's because we never had any chargebacks or any problem that now it just shows when we batch out the next day, that deposit goes in. Instead of something missing and we try to figure it out at the end of the month.

Oscar was the one that pulled that off for us. It gets confusing when we do $20,000 in sales in October and we can’t figure out what we got paid for yet. So, I’m really happy about that part. It makes my life easier because that’s all I do. I do the books now once a week and it takes me 15 minutes, which is really fast. My experience has been perfect, and I recommend Total Merchant Services to people who are about to start a company, especially if they’re with Square. I tell them they can get them a better rate and it’s a lot more secure. Also, it doesn’t matter where they’re based at, they can do it anywhere they want to.

So far, my experience with Total Merchant Services has been wonderful. I've been working with them since June and they're really valuable to our company. They're doing what they're supposed to do and the customer service is great.

Total Merchant Services have great customer service background and they're very professional. They walked us through each step, made sure we understood and if we didn’t they would repeat it which the average person gets impatient to have to repeat so many times. So far, we've been working with them for two months now. We still are new with them, but within the next three to six months it’ll probably be more worth the savings.

I wasn’t happy with the service I had, and when Total Merchant Services came to me, they gave me a better deal so I went with them. Their customer service team has been very good. Anytime I've had a problem or something, I call them up and they take care of me. I could always wish for lower card fees, but they’ve been good. I'm quite satisfied.

Total Merchant Services reached out to us, and they're better than the other offers we had so we went with them. Anytime we call their customer service, our problems have been solved right on time. We're satisfied with their services so far.

We've been with Total Merchant Services since 2009. They've been very valuable to our company. A lot of people want to use their debit cards now instead of writing checks and paying cash. I never had any problems with their customer service. Everything works really smoothly.

The people at Total Merchant Services are helpful when I call. They get my problem taken care of. They help me get through it even if they have to walk me through it. In fact, I forgot a password and they fixed it for me.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2016

After posting this review I received a call from Total Merchant Services and said they'd refund 6 months of fees, which they did.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I've been with this company for many years (6+) and found them to be somewhat honest up until the point that I went paperless with them. To them, "paperless" also means "notification-less" as well. I was not emailed with notification when statements were available, or when PCI compliance was expiring or SAQ was due, or when they discontinued access to the original online portal and moved to a new system, or when any material changes to the account were made.

The short story is that I was eventually being billed almost $35 each month between 2 fees. After I told them I wanted those fees refunded and to close my account, I was told that fees would not be refunded if I was going to close the account. After the customer service initiated the closure, he intentionally hung up on me in mid-sentence.

Total Merchant Services is great. I was with them before years ago and had a good experience. I went back with them to have them process my sales and because I had decided not to do the credit cards. Customer service is very informative and seem to be quite knowledgeable. Plus, they answer the phone, which is nice, because so many are automated and I don't like that. When you ask questions and they're not sure, they research it and then get back to you quickly, so that's good service. I really like them.

Total Merchant is an asset that I couldn't live without right now. 90% of our sales nowadays is credit card so without them, I would not be doing as much business. It's a good company and has been here for a long time. They're established. I don't worry ever with the safety and their updated format. I also like that we can send our customer the location of where they purchased something which gives them the confidence. They also can understand the statement or when I send them their receipt, I can add a little text which the customers and I really appreciate. It's a feature I find exceptional.

My mother-in-law told me about Total Merchant Services and she said they were really good. So far, we've been working with them for 3 years and it's good. I haven't had any problems. We recently updated our machine to read chip cards and it's fine so far. But I noticed the price goes up every year and I don’t get rate reductions like I was promised. I've had several people say they're going to open up the case file and go over the rates but not once have I ever had a response.

Then I had a guy call me yesterday and he said that he was going to be in here tomorrow for about five minutes to give me a brief survey. He said he's the district manager of my area and I have no clue why he's coming in or what he wants to talk about. I don't know if that’s legit or a scam. There's something sketchy about it so I'm not going to let him touch my terminal. He would have to give me some updates or notifications or whatnot.

Total Merchant Services Company Profile