4.45/5

Need credit card processing?

Total Merchant Services

Since 1996, Total Merchant Services has helped merchants in the U.S. and Canada grow their businesses by offering affordable products and payment solutions. As a trusted leader in the merchant services market, Total Merchant Services is committed to providing easy-to-use products to ensure their merchants are successful. We offer a variety of solutions for you to choose from, including: free credit card processing equipment, mobile processing solutions, internet card processing and Groovv Offers. Your business is our priority, which is why all of our customers are provided with 24/7 support. Call us today to learn how we can help your business!

View More View More

Need credit card processing?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Total Merchant Services Reviews

Original review: July 29, 2019

So was using Elavon Merchant Service Charlie with Total Merchant Service came in and compared merchant statements and said he could bet them by 150.00 per Month. Well he did not tell the truth it was more. So after 2 months I stopped using Total Merchant Services and went back to Elavon (Costco) closed the account on 4//9/19 and never heard from anyone an till 4 months later when thy charged my bank account $1084.00. So I called and they said because it's 10 days beyond the date the account was closed that I am just stuck with the equipment. I have no need for their equipment so i'm just out $1084.00 Just an FYI don't trust their reps or the company (Total Merchant Services).

Original review: July 19, 2019

Management of several turnkey construction projects in various chemical production plants. Management of engineering and construction projects. 11 years spent in China, particularly in environmental protection projects.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I haven't used their services for years and cancelled the account. They still take out $39.95 a month for my account and it's impossible to reach someone who can cancel my account. They have a person assigned to your acct that is great until you no longer want to use the company, then they no longer respond or help you. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Used Total merchant services for 9 years with no significant issues. My complaint comes from the Authorize.net virtual terminal. They use no less than 3 companies to process the payments and not one of them will communicate with the other. On May 28 I noticed a Global Payments $1050 withdrawal from my checking account. I contacted the bank who referred me to gave me the number to Global Payments who referred me to Authorize.net who referred me to Total Merchant Services. They did a little research and informed me there were 3 refunds for $350 each approximately 4 days earlier. When I told them I did not make them nor did I authorize them they asked for the Authorize.net summary for the month. There were no refunds processed in that month and in fact in 9 years I only processed 1 refund.

I have no employees and I am the only person who has the password to the gateway. They put in a research and 2 weeks later they found there was no way I processed the refunds to these cards. They refunded my money to me. What they failed to disclose at the time was that they just charged the 3 cards $350 each as a charge. Big red flag to the credit card companies. Bank of America dispute the charge that this breaks credit card rules. You cannot charge a card after a refund has been made without an initial charge. WTF WTF WTF. Obviously this rule is set up for this exact reason. I had to close my business checking account to keep them from stealing my money all over again.

I have spoken to the collections dept, because now it is in collections and they do not care about the truth that these were fraudulent transactions and money was stolen from me. No one at these companies would talk to me about the issue. If you value your banking information and actually need the money in it to pay your bills stay away from this company and every derivative of it. They are owned by North American Bancard who also own PayAnywhere, Inovio, Money Machine, CDI Tech, EPX, Humboldt. Just stay away from them if you value your sanity.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I am a very small business and started my small hairstyling business from nothing. I was using Square to process my transactions, David ** entered my salon offering rates that “beat Square any day!” Me being naive and trusting ended up in a nightmare using Total Merchant Services. I ended having to pay $700 for a service that was normally free to me through square. I was devastated and felt like I was completely taken advantage of, stay VERY far away from these people, my only hope now is Karma.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Merchant Services?

Original review: July 8, 2018

When you fill in a form, one question of which is "What does your company do?" and you answer "Web designer" you don't expect after accepting us, and processing the first few payments to have your account canceled because you're a web designer! WITHOUT NOTICE! TMS, the poster child for everything you've come to hate about merchant processors.

Original review: June 8, 2018

At all cost stay away from this company. Very poor customer service this past few years. Agent hung up the phone on me for asking about my charges, charges with their services that they don't inform you on, charges that were not made clear, and just poor communication with their clients. To top it off they were suppose to send me a package to return terminal and it was never sent and supervisor did nothing about it forcing me to yet again pay for shipping when they owe me already $700. Horrible handling and deception from company.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Total Merchant's price, fees, and cost of the system made it very attractive. And their customer service team has been very helpful and my interaction with them has been great. We had issues with things not working right. I call them and they walked me right through what I needed to do and take care of it. We got the system in March and we’re seeing the potential to get a lot of impact out of it, tracking, and breaking ourselves down and giving us a better breakdown on everything. We’re still learning it.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Total Merchant Services has better rates that I felt more comfortable with, but I had a little rough start with them. I was having issues with the processing with the little PayAnywhere device, my little processor that I carry with me. Supposedly my email was already connected with another processing company and all at the same company but with AmeriBanc. They couldn't use the same email for both accounts so they went ahead and sent out a couple of tickets to the technicians. It took a while for them to get to the point of making the device work. However, it has been good since. The process had been smooth and I'm really happy. I carry the PayAnywhere with me anywhere I go in the US. I was in Texas not too long ago and it was really convenient for me. I have my cell phone with me most of the time and the PayAnywhere is handy whenever I need to use it, especially the next day deposit.

I've been with Total Merchant Services since November and having the PayAnywhere device has been very valuable to our company. I don't process that much, but from what little that I have processed, it has been really convenient. There are a lot of times when customers don't have cash with them and they gotta go to the ATM. But when I pull out the PayAnywhere, they're surprised. People that don't know about it ask me how to get it and I give them the information. I tell them, "Call this number and they'll set you up." People can use it for whenever they're doing a sale, like a rummage sale.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I’m really enjoying Total Merchant, but the fee gets worse. They started charging more. I was not charging the customer because they start complaining so I told Total Merchant to move me back to the old, .05 on processing deal. Other than that, I like it. Angela, one of their reps, talked me into getting the service and it was a good price and better than what I had. She’s been really helpful and anything I have a question with, I just give her a call and she takes care of the issues for me. It was a great experience and I am recommending people to Total Merchant.

Total Merchant Services expert review by Beverly Harzog

Total Merchant Services was founded in 1996 and provides merchant services for businesses across the United States and Canada. Their services allow businesses to accept all major credit and debit cards, including EBT, without signing a contract.

• No contract: You never have to sign a monthly contract to work with Total Merchant Services.

• Free readers and terminals: Total Merchant Services clients receive free state-of-the-art, multi-application credit card readers and processing terminals that are shipped at no cost to you. The company will work with you to decide which free terminal type makes the most sense for your business.

• Mobile processing: Entrepreneurs who are constantly working on-the-go will appreciate Total Merchant Services’ Payment Jack card swipe. The card swipe easily turns any smartphone into a secure credit card terminal. Receive your free card swiper and software when you open your account.

• Online processing: Total Merchant Services has web-based terminal options for e-commerce sites and other businesses that conduct transactions over the Internet. Use a virtual terminal to log on and process transactions. You can also use an e-commerce solution, which will connect your website to a variety of online shopping carts directly.

• Online support and resources: Find the answers you need about your equipment using Total Merchant Services’ online quick reference guides. The company’s website has additional resources for clients, including forms, merchant reference links and the option to view your statement online. You can also always call their US-based customer service team to answer any of your questions or concerns.

• Customized processing services: Customize your account with additional services available from Total Merchant Services, including gift card acceptance, loyalty program, cash advance and check acceptance.

• Best for: Total Merchant Services is best for brick and mortar, mobile and online businesses and vendors.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
      Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Total Merchant Services Company Information