Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Ring Central works great for my small business. Lots of great functions including international calling, faxing, conference calling, mobile, desktop and fixed phone capabilities. There are more features available than we use. Some of the functionality is a bit confusing if you are an infrequent user.

We use RingCentral for our online business and it has provided us with reliable phone service with our customers. We like the flexible methods of configuring our phone service. Picking up our messages online is another option we really like.

I am a small business owner and have a small office. Since switching to RingCentral as my phone provider I can honestly say it has streamlined the way I communicate with my customers. My customers and I love the fact that they can text to my office line!! That's a huge plus in this day and age. I also love the app and use it every day! I would recommend RingCentral to any business owner... it's a game changer for sure!!

We have had RingCentral for 8 years and it has always been weak at best. But we learned to get thru it. Over the years it started to become a little better i.e. keeping the phones working. Customer service is awful, plan on spending 2 to 3 hours on the phone and nothing will get done. The system usually fixes itself in a few days. Now after spending about 300.00 a month for service (for 8 years) they just upped my rate to 1800.00 a month with no warning. My account rep called me today (first time in 8 years) and told me he could do us a big favor and bring the monthly bill down to 700.00 a month. Are these people for real. Goodbye RingCentral.

As long as they don't keep trying to do updates that crash or raise the price without telling me, they've won me over with great fax service at a reasonable price and I would and have recommended to friends and it was recommended to me by a friend and colleague. Great for personal or business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RingCentral?

I had your service for over two years. This time I got charge almost double of I was paying. I reach out to customer service. They set up a claim and ask for phone number saying someone will call to answered question about bill. That was more than a weeks ago! I'm still waiting for someone to call. Very disappointed!!

Your service has been very beneficial to our business in keeping us in contact with our variety of customers communication profiles. Having a 24/7 service that our customers can gain access to with ease and confidence makes our company stand out and be trusted for getting the job done.

RingCentral service has allowed us to significantly reduce our monthly phone bills across most of our offices and add features not available from the companies we previously used. Voice transmission quality has only occasionally been of lesser quality than the companies we previously used. However, overall this has been a very good move for us.

They have crippled a portion of our business by not understanding what we wanted. I think customer service and technical support are based outside of the USA and in a country where English is not the primary language. Also, when communicating with them over the phone each party speaks over the other party due to some technical anomalies.

We are very pleased thus far with Ring Central. The quality of the service has far exceeded our expectations and the support when we need it has been top shelf. Every aspect from the sale (and I put the sales team through a ringer), to implementation and day to day operation has been very good. The value has been such that we reduced our communications cost by nearly half; we are at 83 phone users now and growing every day. The one recommendation (no way negative) I would make to Ring Central is that I think it would be good for them to look into bringing intercom systems on-board.

Currently they recommend a vendor whose device meets the requirements of Ring Central, but it has been problematic and it is a fine line of whether it is the hardware or the program details from Ring Central. I think that if Ring Central handled such items that would seriously bridge the gap between problems with SIP issues on said item types. So, yes, I would recommend, have recommended and will continue to recommend Ring Central as the go to service for UCaaS.

Insufficient response received

We just had a similar experience to Brandon of Dallas, Dewey of Salinas, Jose of New Jersey. See a pattern here ConsumerAffairs? Our credit card bill arrived at the end of July... We discovered that we were charged $155 on Jul 10 for a 12 month service. I called today to find out why our bill skyrocketed. They stated the plan that we were on was discontinued and they chose this new plan for us. We did not approve the change (Isn't that call slamming in the phone world? Changing service without consent?) and yet our credit card was charged.

I asked for our credit card to be removed immediately so that we could not be auto-charged without our approval next year and they refused. The more people I spoke with, the nastier the phone conversation became. Unfortunately we are 2 days past the 30-day window for cancellation. There are better, more economically competitive companies on the market and we will take advantage of them and do our business with them when our service ends next year. Goodbye RingCentral!

This is a tremendously useful resource. I am so happy I do not have to pay for a fax machine; one that I would only use to receive a few faxes a month. The cost is perfect for the amount I use it.

Insufficient response received

Over the past few years Ring Central has raised their prices from a reasonable $55 per year to this year at $155. To do this over the course of just a few years is ridiculous. I think they are taking advantage of the people on an auto renewal program. There are so many quality online faxing companies offering great service for so much less... one would have to be crazy to stay with this company. Another issue I have is that they make it very difficult to cancel. You have to perform steps online then call as well. In addition, you can't simply choose a nonrenewal termination. You can only cancel your service and then they stop your account at once...which means you lose any prepaid service so if you're an annual subscriber... You have to quit right around your renewal date to keep from wasting money. WHAT AWFUL SERVICE.

The system is mediocre at best. The quality of the lines is 5/10, with a major delay in voice if you use the actual app and don't forward the lines to your direct phone/cell phone. After a few calls, we just decided to forward the calls directly as people were complaining about the voice lag. Support is OK, all outsourced which is fine but they really don't listen to what your issues are. My last agent told me "We are in different countries so we handle things differently here"... Well I wasn't factoring in where you came from until you told me this was why the service was lacking? Strange thing to tell a client.

Account managers don't offer you better options for your business needs and we ended up taking way more lines than what was needed. Since we took a 12 month contract, we pre-paid for 12 months and there was no adjustments made for our actual needs (which was less than half of what we're told we should get to ensure the system worked properly for us).

Here's the real issue... If you happen to sign up with this company, be prepared to be slipped into another contract, regardless of giving 6 verbal and written cancellation requests for months prior to the required time. We gave notice in writing to our account manager in May to have the service cancelled for July 12th, 2017, which should have been the final day. It's now August 4th and we are in a battle to receive nearly $4000 back from them as they decided they weren't ready to let us go so easily. We are told "it is pending approval for the refund" - Why on earth do you need approval to refund us for services which should have been disconnected? Also - our account is STILL ACTIVE nearly 1 month later! Yikes...

Doesn't matter who you speak to, they will tell you the person who can help you is 1) out of the office 2) on the phone 3) offsite in training (also - I was told all 3 by different agents on the same day so the trust here is totally broken). WARNING!!! Be prepared to have mediocre service for how much they charge and brace yourselves to actually get your service cut off....Let the battle begin to get our money back. As a technology company, we love innovative solutions and this is NOT one of them. We urge consumers to look elsewhere for their business needs and take it from us, this is not worth it.

Do not use them!!! When you need to make changes in your system or take lines off there is no way to do it and all the managers are away!!! Make sure you use a company that helps you not only to set up lines. I never saw a bad service like that... For sure they lost my account.

I can't believe they are allowed to do business. Our Cloud Phone Service is so unreliable it's sad and frustrating. It's always shutting off at random times during the day, which puts a heavy burden on my workflow. I called their customer support to see if it could be fixed. The guy on the phone was really hard to understand and wasn't much of a help. He offered to send a tech out, but that would cost $350 if they found a problem that was on our end. It's laughable... $350 for a service call??? This company obviously cares more about money than their customers. Because I had to get the service up and running again I agreed to have someone come out. I was told I would receive a call within 2 hours. I never got a phone call nor did I ever see a tech come out. What lousy customer service.

Before purchasing the RingCentral System, I researched a number of systems. RingCentral had the best reviews. It was ordered. Equipment arrived promptly, and set up with no issues. The few times support was called, the issues were quickly resolved to our satisfaction. The system is easily expandable and provides all the functions that we need when we need it. This is a good company to work with.

Signed 2 yr contract in March 2015. In March or so 2016 I asked that I not be auto renewed, asked about early termination, etc. In Dec 2016 I opened 2-3 more tickets similar, saying I didn't want to be in a contract. June 2017, thinking my contract is over, I try to cancel. Nope, contract renewed until 2019. Ridiculous. Talked to multiple people, no one gives a crap. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Ring Central sends and receives faxes just the way I need. It is a very good service and is very dependable. The customer service is great and the whole operation is top notch. I would recommend Ring Central if you are looking for an online fax service.

All I got was misinformation, wrong information, and outright lies, and refusal to find the correct information. Spent 40 minutes on the phone, only to get hung up on by a manager who repeatedly refused to even do his job correctly. Horrible, they promise you the world and deliver nothing. The actual connections are horrible, they block numbers without informing you. Overall they are terrible.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your review. Can you give me more information of your account? Let me escalate your concern.

Thanks,

Rene

Original review: July 14, 2017

Huge mistake moving my business to RingCentral. Do not believe the reliability claims. We have issues with making calls, they can’t fix it. It’s been days since we have been able to contact clients back in certain area codes. We have also received emails from clients telling us that our phone are out of service. Clients from different area codes, counties, and states. Some people can reach us and no way of knowing which people can't. Their solution to give them a list of people who can’t reach us. Even giving RingCentral a list of the known people who can’t reach us and the times they called us the issue still exists, and they tell us that we have to contact all of our clients or potential clients phone carriers to have them work on it. How would we know ALL the people who can’t reach us. Worst service! DO NOT USE RingCentral!

In my work helping fearful fliers, I used RingCentral for several years. I didn't like the control panel; it is not intuitive, but I could call and ask tech to help, and they did. But then this spring, they told us that if we had ten or more calls per month forwarded to a cell phone, they were going to add the cell phone number to our account as a non-VoIP line and charge $24.95. We had been forwarded to three cell phone numbers for years. This extra monthly charge of almost $75.00 DOUBLED our monthly phone expense. I told my account manager this was unacceptable. I spoke to supervisors, who said the change was permanent. So I explained I would have to find another company.

I switched to Optimum Business (part of Cablevision), and when I told RingCentral to cancel our account, they said our contract runs from November to November, is automatically renewed, and we have to continue to pay until then. However, RingCentral, by unilaterally altering the terms of the contract, has nullified the contract. We will not pay and we will seek to recapture what they have taken from us via our credit card company. However, anyone thinking of doing business with RingCentral should understand that things have changed there, and it has been taken over by unscrupulous management who will screw you over if they possibly can.

I received a month free but they make you sign a contract to get the month free. I have been trying to close my account since two weeks in the free month and they will not close it. The support department is horrible. They don't speak English and you ask them you fix one thing and they mess up something different that you never bought up. Stay away from this company.

RingCentral charges an exorbitant "CRF" fee that is NOT a tax or required by any law. Possible grounds for class action lawsuit or resistance? My bill shows a monthly $4 fee. Basically RingCentral is passing its own legal bills/lawyer fees on to its customers. The fee is called "RingCentral Compliance and Administrative Cost Recovery Fee" or CRF for short. Assume RingCentral has 100,000 customers. At $4 per month per customer, this is nearly $5 MILLION per year. Why should the customers pay RingCentral's expenses? RingCentral should pay its own expenses out of its own profit. This might be an accounting gimmick - RC can allege a low "base" price for its service and then tack on fees that properly should be in the base price. RC appears to rely on the customer not paying attention so they can pull a fast one on us. I think it is total b.s. Note that the fee is a pretty high percentage (close to 6%) of the monthly service charge.

We have used RingCentral for over 15 years... In that time, I can only remember ONCE, early on, that there was ever a complete service interruption. Since then, it's been the most reliable service I have ever used. I don't have to worry about the phone lines coming into my office, down wires, power outages, it just always works! It's versatile. After a short learning curve, I programmed our service when we initially started service. Since then, I have only made minor changes since the service just WORKS.

There are a few times that I have had to call service for issues. I have found that it's best to gather details of exact examples of problematic calls (time/date, called from/to) to help support. This allows them to look into details about previous calls and be able to diagnose the issue quicker. I used to think that I wanted to have an "in-house" phone system... But, after switching to RingCentral, I have found that those needs are either not important any longer, or are well supported in the RingCentral offerings.

I have been a user of RingCentral for several years. I used RingCentral to replace my landline telephone system. I have been very happy with RingCentral and would indeed recommend this system to a friend.

The service is pretty good for faxing but customer service is completely inept. We can't access features and the customer service people spend a lot of time on the phone but can't fix anything. As long as you just want to send and receive faxes through a machine, it is fine.

Beware of RingCentral. We signed up for a free 15 day trial to test with a SIP conference phone and were never able to receive inbound calls on the number. There is so much security involved (verification codes, PINs, security questions, security verification emails) that make the process extremely frustrating for the user(s) to even use/test. This is especially true if the user who set up the account is not always available/on call to pass along the communications to their team members who need to use the line. After not even a few days of frustration, we decided to cancel. This is even more difficult of a process!

RingCentral will not allow their customers to cancel their account/free 15 day trial without dialing in and speaking with someone, who makes you answer even more security and non-security questions. If they don't like your answers, they will not cancel/close your account. I was actually told by a representative to call back 'when I was ready to cancel'. I was so frustrated I actually hung up the phone on them, something I NEVER have done. When attempting to call back, the line was blocked. When attempting to cancel through the billing department, I could not get through and/or change/update the billing to an expired card to ensure we would not be charged if they refused to cancel.

After my third attempt/request, I was able to cancel. We were never able to receive inbound calls, whether or not this was RingCentral's fault or the actual phone we were testing on their service, so I can't attest to the actual product/service, but any company with horrible customer service and practices as frustrating for the user as RingCentral, is not a company I want to support nor move forward with.

I receive numerous automated e-mails praising the service we are receiving and assuming that we have 'calls rolling in on our number' which is far from the truth. We've never had one successful inbound call. They request a mobile number to have on file, however, support come from overseas. I've since blocked their support line because I've received international charges/rates for the voice mails they leave me on my personal phone. Not many companies/people get under my skin, especially enough to write a review, however RingCentral has fired me up like no company/service provider has in my 10+ years managing an office.

I honestly can't believe how difficult the process from start to (thankfully) finish has been. From getting the number up and 'running' to nearly being told our cancel request would not be granted. Assuming your customers believe your product is great, they are satisfied, and that it's working well for them, is not a good practice.

Sending frequent impersonal e-mails that are automated and forcing customers who signed up for a number to answer security questions over (and over and over again) to gain access to their account is disruptive and annoying. Such a mistake signing up in the first place - happy to be free and would never recommend or use any of their products ever again.

I had your service for over three years. This time I got charge double of I was paying. I reach out to customer service. They set up a claim and ask for phone number saying someone will call to answered question about bill. That was 2 weeks ago! I'm still waiting for someone to call. Very disappointed. I'll cancel my subscription if nobody reach out to me in the next 2 days.

I am a physician, I have canceled my RingCentral account for last 18 months and all have been trying to do is have them stop charging me. Every time I call I am on phone for more than two hours and I give up and hang up. They have been charging me still monthly. I can't believe how they are able get away with this

and when I called the line to get new account I can get someone in 3 minutes and that person has guts to tell me that because I am an existing customer he can not help me or his manager can not help me. All he can do is if I add new account then he can stop the old account.

I have asked for help and he says, "We have more than 40000 account. If we pick everyone's phone we will work 24/7." So I am still on phone for now 2 hours 20 minutes and still holding. I am not sure I can report this to ConsumerAffairs people. Can someone help me. This is harassment. How can they get away with this as I can not prove how long they have been keeping me on phone and not stopping the charges on account. I feel so helpless.

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

RingCentral has over a decade of experience in the VoIP industry and has served more than 300,000 customers.​

• All-inclusive phone system: Their all-inclusive system includes conferencing, mobile app, user-friendly interface for adds, changes and multimedia communication.
  • Accent on collaboration: RingCentral embraces the less-email trend with an app/interface, called Glip, which integrates task and calendar management, instant messaging and file sharing à la Slack.
  • Accent on integration: Built as an open platform from the ground up, RingCentral's industry-standard APIs and SDK let your developers easily integrate your communications into key business processes and applications. Out-of-the-box integrations include Outlook, Salesforce.com, Box, ZenDesk, Google and Oracle.
  • Reasonable rates: Plans start as low as $24.99 per month per user.
  • Offers toll free to customers: Using RingCentral services, businesses can quickly and easily set up toll-free numbers for customer use.
  • Best for Small businesses and large corporations.

RingCentral Company Profile