Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 3,149,555 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I'm a new to Patreon, and in a few months with a small number of followers I had to solve a payment issue with Patreon Help Center. Even though from the first message I explained why I see miscount, proved with screenshots comments under unpaid by this site videos, meaning they were viewed and supposed to be charged. They said "you had no Patreons that period." I asked what about screenshots? My host as well this month showed views numbers under my videos that linked to Patreon only. Well, they just went ghosting, no reply, no explanation, no compensation just gas-lighting and went to silence. I feel robbed and also psychological abused by their response. If there would be no comments, but there were and logically I had members that could access to my product and post their comments. Anyway. Avoid this site, seems they rob users and get away using passive-aggressive antisocial tactics.
So, in short - the content maker promises something with their subscription. Turns out, they don't provide that, as promised - not to anyone, it's fake. I report it to the creator - nothing happens. I report it to Patreon, they tell me to report it to the creator. Nothing happens either way. As far as I know, they're still falsely claiming this 'perk' is being delivered, when it's obvious to anyone who knows how to check, that it's not. Patreon don't care, because it's a creator that makes them money, I guess! Creators who deliver - there are subscribers like me who won't trust Patreon again - so think hard about who you work with. Your reputation is also theirs.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
My daughter (15 at the time) was sexually assaulted at a party a while back and someone at the party recorded the whole thing and then uploaded it onto their Patreon account where it sold for actual money. My daughter was humiliated when the video was being shared by people at the school. I contacted Patreon on Twitter to ask how to have the video of my daughter taken down and they referred me to their "help center" and I was told to "send a note." I did all of that and explained everything that happened in the support ticket but I never heard back from them. I sent them dozens of e-mails begging them to take the video down but they never replied.
My family attorney then sent the e-mails and notices demanding to have it taken down but she was never given a reply and even the police detectives we reported it to have not received any response from Patreon. Even the Twitter account we contacted too @PatreonSupport ignored our other messages to them and eventually they blocked us. How can a company operate like this? How then can a company make money off the suffering of another human being? We had to pull her out of school and get her serious counseling because no matter what happens, everybody has seen the video and Patreon has evaded every one of our requests to have it removed.
This platform unlawfully sent the sheriff to my house on March 23, 2021, based off a false report from Patreon. Any consumer that uses this platform whether paid or a creator gets demonized for telling the truth. Don't recommend.
I subscribed to a video reaction account called ScribeCash. I really liked her reactions. I paid for the $10 level subscription, as her Patreon page said I would get a video review of my choice. I messaged her the selection. After weeks of waiting for what I paid for, or at least just some reply from the Patron, I contacted customer service to request a refund. Initially, they said it would take longer than usual to render a decision. Two and a half months later, after emailing them politely every two weeks or so, I still have not received their "decision ". $10 is a lot to me. I paid for a service, never got it. They act like they don't care. I will never use Patreon again in any way. What a disappointment.
There's a ton of underaged "creators" selling nude and sexual content of themselves on this website and their "Trust and Safety Team" ignores every single report I filed to have this garbage removed from the internet. I'm pretty sure this is illegal yet I have no clue why they're allowing this sort of garbage to be sold on their website let alone why law enforcement has not investigated with the business practices of this atrocious company.
I also checked their community guidelines for nude content, it says "As a reminder, you SHOULD never post or share nude creations of any individual under the age of 18, including yourself." They use the word should as a recommendation against instead of something to prohibit child sexual abuse material on their website overall. When you look at some of these underaged creators, most of their fanbase consists of creepy older men who support them financially. This is disgusting. Can the police please look into this company and the way they conduct business because I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell sexual photos and videos of children.
Patreon blocked my Creator account after one week of work without any explanations and stole $165 that I earned from my patrons. Support does not answer my request (**), they do not return my money, they do not return my content, which I also asked for. The conclusion is obvious - PATREON IS A SCAM. If they don't like something about your account, you will be blocked and your money will be stolen. I am going to tell about my experience everywhere I can to make people know. If you care about your content and your money, don't use this awful scam service.
I paid for a membership and when the so-called "creator" did not deliver it, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a response, I'm talking about months just to get an automatic reply, no help, no refund, no responsibility from Patreon whatsoever. Total scam. STAY AWAY!
Have you ever heard of a company that does not have a customer service team? Well, Patreon doesn't. It doesn't matter what your concern is, they literally have no one to answer the phone. Unacceptable.
Someone else mentioned them being impossible to contact. This is absolutely the case when I went to report content of a creator under 18 selling adult content. I reported the user by the website's instructions yet nothing has happened to creator or their account which is still generating thousands of dollars in revenue for selling people illegal (underaged) pictures and videos of themselves. Other websites who have her ID confirmed her content is illegal when they discovered she had been selling it on other websites before her 18th birthday. This was just one user. Police need to investigate the business practices of this company because if they're allowing one user to sell illegal content of themselves on their website, chances are there's other underaged individuals doing the same that this company is not doing anything about.
Patreon author review by Rose Spinelli
Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.
Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.
Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.
Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.
Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.
Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.
Patreon questions and answers
- What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
- Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
- What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
- Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
- What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
- We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
- How does Patreon measure success?
- Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
- What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
- Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
- How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
- Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
- What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
- Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
- Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
- Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
- How has Patreon grown or evolved?
- We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.
Patreon Company Information
- Company Name:
- Year Founded:
- San Francisco
- United States
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.