A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 4,010,481 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
After not being able to access my account I sent two Patreon based emails. One month later still no response. I tried calling but you cannot leave a message or get someone to answer the call. I cancelled my payments through PayPal. I am looking into reconnecting with my instructors through their private websites. Worst customer service experience ever!
I’ve requested a refund 2 months ago and submitted a letter to their office about it including my concerns, but no response. They are very unprofessional and obviously just want your money. I’ve even reached out to the creator and nothing transpired. I will never use them again.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
I never subscribed to this or any creator. My cc got charged $5 which was weird. I disputed this after trying to contact Patreon. I have no other info. They sent a doc. showing the amount and charge but no creator name or my name on it. So someone got a hold of my cc but no way to get any help. They need to do more than just throwing the blame. If I know the name of the one who subscribed or the creator, it would help so much!
After becoming some tier Patreon you'll be pushed on every page to go to the next tier. After accidently clicking you'll automatically be charge so delete your credit card details immediately after subscribing.
Patreon can ban you just because they don't like you. They didn't give any proofs for violation their rules. They just said that they will consider to open my account or not in 1 month. I am searching for responsible alternative. Will never return to Patreon.
They will simply ban you or someone you support because someone said something they don't agree with. It doesn't have to be on their site, it doesn't have to even go against their community guidelines. They don't like you you're gone.
Be mindful of your charges to cc. Thankfully I had alerts set up to catch the first pull, even though I had never retained my information on their systems. Refunds are not processed either. Caveat emptor.
No business should base its decision to provide a service to any member based on a political opinion and truthful factual reporting by licensed professionals. This is a nefarious move by Patreon. I wouldn't support this company at all.
Something really fishy is going on here. I discovered a creator was stealing content from someone else and selling it off as theirs. I contacted Patreon because this was against their community guidelines and also asked Patreon for a refund. I didn't hear back from them for a whole month before they told me that they'll investigate and in the meantime I need to contact the creator directly for a refund. I contacted the creator who then blocked me, and when I contacted Patreon to inform them that he's blocking me after I asked for my money back, they suspended my account because they accused me of harassing the creator.
The only time I ever spoke to the creator directly was to message him and ask for a refund and he didn't even respond to me, he just blocked me. $250 wasted and my credit card continues being charged by Patreon for a subscription service that I ended six months ago. I had to call my bank and cancel the credit card because Patreon continues charging it six months after I don't even have an account with them anymore. How on Earth can a company like this exist??? It should be illegal to operate a business like this.
I had been using Patreon for a few years with no problem. I always thought that everyone who had a problem with them was being a bit dramatic. How wrong I was, that line of thinking bit me where it financially hurt. I logged into my account one fine day and the nightmare began. Some creator that I had never heard of, or even seen in my life was charging my account! They had succeeded in charging me over $300 in donations to them before I could lock my card. They were still trying to charge $200 more! I had immediately changed all passwords, authentification, and emails associated with my account. I contacted my card company to cancel those charges and cards. Then I emailed Patron to tell them about what happened just to basically inform them. I thought that was the end of it.
Skip a day and I get an email about my email to them and how they would look into it. However, they needed some information. I provided them the information they asked for, being completely open and acquiescing to everything they asked. At this time I was still able to log in to my account. Skip a few days emailing back and forth, I then get an email saying my account was suspended, I ask why, and they tell me that because my card company did a chargeback, they can no longer reinstate my account. So I am being punished because I did not want over $300 taken from me and took action against it! Thanks a lot, Patreon!
Patreon author review by Rose Spinelli
Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.
Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.
Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.
Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.
Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.
Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.
Patreon questions and answers
- What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
- Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
- What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
- Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
- What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
- We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
- How does Patreon measure success?
- Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
- What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
- Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
- How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
- Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
- What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
- Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
- Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
- Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
- How has Patreon grown or evolved?
- We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.
Patreon Company Information
- Company Name:
- Year Founded:
- San Francisco
- United States
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.