2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.04/5

Patreon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I paid for a membership and when the so-called "creator" did not deliver it, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a response, I'm talking about months just to get an automatic reply, no help, no refund, no responsibility from Patreon whatsoever. Total scam. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Have you ever heard of a company that does not have a customer service team? Well, Patreon doesn't. It doesn't matter what your concern is, they literally have no one to answer the phone. Unacceptable.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Someone else mentioned them being impossible to contact. This is absolutely the case when I went to report content of a creator under 18 selling adult content. I reported the user by the website's instructions yet nothing has happened to creator or their account which is still generating thousands of dollars in revenue for selling people illegal (underaged) pictures and videos of themselves. Other websites who have her ID confirmed her content is illegal when they discovered she had been selling it on other websites before her 18th birthday. This was just one user. Police need to investigate the business practices of this company because if they're allowing one user to sell illegal content of themselves on their website, chances are there's other underaged individuals doing the same that this company is not doing anything about.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Been trying to cancel my payment no luck. Can not contact any one. I would not recommend this to anyone. Their help page just sends you to different pages. I don't think they have any humans there. Giving it one star is over rated.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

This company is impossible to contact about Unauthorized charges! We noticed a recurring charge today from Patreon! We didn't agree to anything with any content creator! This was in my Legally blind wife's Credit card! Now we have to cancel the card and attempt to do a charge back! How someone got her card number is beyond me! Patreon not having a way to dispute this shows what kind of company this is! How can someone pay someone when they don't have a account with them?

Original review: July 17, 2020

I did not understand Patreon's payment system. Toward the end of June, I paid $50 for, what I thought, was the month. Well, it was only for a week. I pay another $50 for July and had access to it up till today. Now it says I'm not a member. So for $100 I have had under 3 weeks of Patreon. I also live in a sales tax-free state and am being charged taxes. Sent an email and was told to wait up to 5 days for a response.

Original review: July 1, 2020

So I learned a creator had been producing NSFW (not safe for work) content on the internet since before they were of legal age to do so. Some of this content, illegal in nature, was for sale on this user's account. I reported the account but nothing happened and the illegal content remained on the website. I later messaged one of the staff members in the discussion forum and they summarily deactivated my account without any explanation. I've contacted police regarding this but something is seriously wrong. There's no reason their staff should be acting so shady about illegal content being sold on their website let alone banning anybody who reports it.

Original review: May 10, 2020

One time donation for a good cause. My payment has been processed on Paypal and two days later on my bank account, without any problems. Patreon reports an error/failure processing my transaction. No answers or reply on my questions asked. Without mentioning before hand, Tax was added to my donation. It was offered to Paypal as a monthly recurring payment. Judge for yourself what to think of it. I will not use this service again.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Worst experience ever. I am billed but it says I don’t support any creators. I can’t access any of the extra content from the creator that I am getting billed for.. Sorry Wave Rover I have to cancel my creator card. Wish I could let him know but it won’t let me even message the creator of the videos.. Patreon sucks.. There is no service to rectify the issue. No technical support. No phone service - just a women telling you to go to www.patreon.com/saq. And no one answers from that.

Original review: March 3, 2020

My wife and I noticed a $7 monthly charge on our credit card that we don't recognize from CKO "Patreon" Members. When I call the number 833-972-8766, it tells me to go to Patreon.com, which tells me to sign in to my account. I have no account, I don't even know who they are. I never signed up with them - how is it that they are charging me? I have no way of speaking to anyone to ask why I'm being charged. I had to cancel my credit card in order to get the charges to stop, and I can see from other comments that I am not the only one. If by some chance I signed up to sponsor a podcast or artist without remembering it, and that artist/podcast uses Patreon, then Patreon should be able to tell me so. But I guarantee I have never agreed to sponsor an artist or podcast.

Patreon author review by Rose Spinelli

Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.

• Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.

• Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.

• Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.

• Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.

• Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Patreon questions and answers

What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
      Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
      What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
      Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
      What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
      How does Patreon measure success?
      Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
      Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
      Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
      Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
      Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
      How has Patreon grown or evolved?
      We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.

Patreon Company Information