2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.0/5 (112 ratings)

About Patreon

Patreon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?

Original review: July 6, 2021

Try to get in touch with these people??? Sure. You can go through all of their diversion email tactics forever, Asked for a return call at least 4 times--no return. Try to cancel their service--good luck--their email solution never worked for me-(one of the reasons I needed to talk). They just kept throwing a full page of instructions at me via emails. I hope these artist wake up and realize how pathetic Patreon is at customer service--this reflects real bad on the artist for who recommends them, While my Banjo instructor seems very good (Eli **), directing me to this company really was a poor choice. Not sure, but is sure smells of a scam to me. I don't have a lot of money wrapped up in this--not the point--what if I did? STAY AWAY from this company at all cost. Don't be suckered into using this service.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I demanded a refund from a scammer who was selling stolen content on their account and passing it off as if it was theirs. Patreon told me to contact the creator for a refund but the creator soon blocked me. I contacted Patreon support and they said they'll look into it. Then after a month I asked how it was going and they suspended my account. I have yet to receive the $30 I paid for content I didn't know was stolen. Don't fall for this scam. Honestly it's a rip-off.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2021

Their customer service team is nearly impossible to reach. I don't get how they're able to get away with taking people's money and then either passing off responsibility of refunds on the creator or just ignoring the request altogether. It's really disgusting what they're doing and you should seriously stay away from suspicious business practices like from this company.

In addition to their billing being completely non-functioning, there's literally nobody moderating the content of this website. I came across a user who was filming children being sexually abused in a psychiatric hospital and when I contacted Patreon to report the page, they just ignored it and then suspended my Patreon account. These are children! And mentally ill children, some sick idiot films themselves taking advantage of children not mentally competent to provide consent, I don't understand what is going on here. How is Patreon still a company? How are they still able to host such egregious content involving children being abused in a hospital and still function? As I write this review, the Patreon account posting the illegal videos is still functional and with over 1000 subscribers! It makes no sense to me!

Original review: May 15, 2021

I'm a new to Patreon, and in a few months with a small number of followers I had to solve a payment issue with Patreon Help Center. Even though from the first message I explained why I see miscount, proved with screenshots comments under unpaid by this site videos, meaning they were viewed and supposed to be charged. They said "you had no Patreons that period." I asked what about screenshots? My host as well this month showed views numbers under my videos that linked to Patreon only. Well, they just went ghosting, no reply, no explanation, no compensation just gas-lighting and went to silence. I feel robbed and also psychological abused by their response. If there would be no comments, but there were and logically I had members that could access to my product and post their comments. Anyway. Avoid this site, seems they rob users and get away using passive-aggressive antisocial tactics.

Original review: April 23, 2021

So, in short - the content maker promises something with their subscription. Turns out, they don't provide that, as promised - not to anyone, it's fake. I report it to the creator - nothing happens. I report it to Patreon, they tell me to report it to the creator. Nothing happens either way. As far as I know, they're still falsely claiming this 'perk' is being delivered, when it's obvious to anyone who knows how to check, that it's not. Patreon don't care, because it's a creator that makes them money, I guess! Creators who deliver - there are subscribers like me who won't trust Patreon again - so think hard about who you work with. Your reputation is also theirs.

Original review: March 24, 2021

This platform unlawfully sent the sheriff to my house on March 23, 2021, based off a false report from Patreon. Any consumer that uses this platform whether paid or a creator gets demonized for telling the truth. Don't recommend.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I subscribed to a video reaction account called ScribeCash. I really liked her reactions. I paid for the $10 level subscription, as her Patreon page said I would get a video review of my choice. I messaged her the selection. After weeks of waiting for what I paid for, or at least just some reply from the Patron, I contacted customer service to request a refund. Initially, they said it would take longer than usual to render a decision. Two and a half months later, after emailing them politely every two weeks or so, I still have not received their "decision ". $10 is a lot to me. I paid for a service, never got it. They act like they don't care. I will never use Patreon again in any way. What a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Patreon blocked my Creator account after one week of work without any explanations and stole $165 that I earned from my patrons. Support does not answer my request (**), they do not return my money, they do not return my content, which I also asked for. The conclusion is obvious - PATREON IS A SCAM. If they don't like something about your account, you will be blocked and your money will be stolen. I am going to tell about my experience everywhere I can to make people know. If you care about your content and your money, don't use this awful scam service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I paid for a membership and when the so-called "creator" did not deliver it, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a response, I'm talking about months just to get an automatic reply, no help, no refund, no responsibility from Patreon whatsoever. Total scam. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Have you ever heard of a company that does not have a customer service team? Well, Patreon doesn't. It doesn't matter what your concern is, they literally have no one to answer the phone. Unacceptable.

Patreon author review by Rose Spinelli

Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.

• Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.

• Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.

• Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.

• Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.

• Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Patreon questions and answers

What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
    Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
    What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
    Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
    What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
    How does Patreon measure success?
    Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
    Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
    Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
    Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
    Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
    Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
    How has Patreon grown or evolved?
    We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.

Patreon Company Information