1.00/5
Based on 5 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5 Patreon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I lost my password and can't reset my account to cancel subscriptions that keep charging me monthly. I have been trying consistently for over 6 months to contact anyone at Patreon to help but they appear to not actually have anyone--any real person--that works there. Still charging me, and I have had to communicate with my bank that this is Fraudulent at this point--refusing to help me cancel these subscriptions.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Patreon took my money! Patreon put this message in the account of many creators without reason and do not respond to the emails, simply got the money from several users and do not answer anyone! "Your creator balance is on hold while our Trust & Safety team review your account."

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 27, 2018

Absolutely disgusting attitude to authors without patrons. My account with the information contained on it two years removed absolutely without any warning. First, you send a letter that the account is going to be deleted after 10 days. Then you write them letters that they don't answer from your main account, although if you write them from another mail they will answer, but will be asked to write from the main. In this way, they observe the appearance of legality. The reason they indicate is "suspicion of fraudulent activity". Notice the word "suspicious." This means that they can remove any of your information for no reason.

Two months later, when the account is already deleted, they send another letter with a formal offer to provide them with certain data, which they also do not respond and just save in order to get out in case of what. On any questions and fair criticism they do not react in other words, they just shave scams. Do not get fooled by any nonsense about "creativity" and "every author can earn". If you have a fan base is better just stream or specify on your own website links to donate - do not pay them anything.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Patreon does not do anything for you. You become their member, and you have to find your own patrons, so they can back you up and all Patreon does is to collect 10% of that money. What a deal? Patreon says that they have 50000 creators on their site but you can only see 230 of them. Where are the rest? And what happened to 49770 other creators? They are choosing who I should and if to donate my money to. Not me nor you? Is their choice of 230 out of 50000 creators? Discrimination?

I asked Patreon. How do people find me when I just started in Patreon? When you only show top 20 Big stars of yours? Nobody else does matter to you? I think everybody has the right to be showing in your program and not just top 20. Patreon Answer to me, "Thanks for reaching out. Patreon is not currently a discovery platform. We recommend those with engaged audiences already are best suited toward starting a successful Patreon."

I am wondering if this 200 so people are their own friend and relatives that they support and the rest of us joining them are the number game. So in the future they can sell the co. at a higher price? Engaged audiences already are best suited toward starting a successful Patreon. If I already have engaged patrons in my hand why would anyone wants to join Patreon.com unless you have extra money to donate to Patreon.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

As far as the functionality of the site, the mobile site (for Samsung) is trash, very limited - I can't add or delete any of my patrons. When I have the enevitable issues I tried the customer support. Absolute **. I tweet them, no response. I send emails. No response. I'd like to see a response within 24 hours. My current issue is that I canceled my patronage for January in late December, and even though I paid for the month, they shut me out of the content - Do you think they'll refund me for the rest of the month? Allow me the content days I paid For? This company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?

Patreon expert review by Rose Spinelli

Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.

• Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.

• Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.

• Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.

• Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.

• Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.

• Best for: Patreon is best for creative people looking for alternative income streams, patrons and fans interested in supporting their favorite creators while gaining access to exclusive content.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Patreon questions and answers

What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
How does Patreon measure success?
Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
How has Patreon grown or evolved?
We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.

Patreon Company Information