Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.18/5

Patreon Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2020

My wife and I noticed a $7 monthly charge on our credit card that we don't recognize from CKO "Patreon" Members. When I call the number 833-972-8766, it tells me to go to Patreon.com, which tells me to sign in to my account. I have no account, I don't even know who they are. I never signed up with them - how is it that they are charging me? I have no way of speaking to anyone to ask why I'm being charged. I had to cancel my credit card in order to get the charges to stop, and I can see from other comments that I am not the only one. If by some chance I signed up to sponsor a podcast or artist without remembering it, and that artist/podcast uses Patreon, then Patreon should be able to tell me so. But I guarantee I have never agreed to sponsor an artist or podcast.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

The website provides no warning of pending charges for the monthly process. No live person on the phone (**). Did not respond to my email inquiry in a timely manner. This company needs to improve in many areas. I will have to close my credit card to prevent future charges.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I haven't had an account that long, less than a year, and I'm already having log-in issues. It keeps saying it needs to verify my device, and then no email is sent, and I remain locked out of the account. Don't bother contacting Patreon about anything, because they don't do that. No number to call, no emails answered... Run.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Continued to charge me after I cancelled. I needed to go to my credit card company. Told me to go to the person I was following to dispute charges. Just read the other negative reviews - little to no contact info. Poor explanation of their service. Patreon needs to overhaul their company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Service paid for in advance. Despite the content creator confirming by email his inability to deliver, Patreon refused to process a refund and falsely informed PayPal that service was delivered. Avoid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Patreon?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Got fraudulently charged by Patreon. Tried to contact Jack Conte CEO. Phone number disconnected. Called his wife. Real piece of work. Wouldn't give me any contact info. The guy obviously does not care. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS JOKE OF A COMPANY!

Original review: July 8, 2019

Here is how ridiculous their policy is. They charge, in advance, at the beginning of the month. So, how is that unfair? Because they don't tell you this up front and so, if you sign up for sponsorship on the 31st day of the month, you get charged for the next month on the very next day! Thus, if you sign up on the last day of the month, you get 1/31 as much value as someone signing up on the first of the month. If you want to complain, they require you contact the contract creator directly. I didn't do business with the Creator, my relationship is with Patreon. So how can they legally tell me I have to ask for a refund from a third party? Despite the obvious unfairness, Patreon refuses to refund or make the system fair with either prorated pricing or staggered anniversary dates.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Patreon may be a good idea and many of us wish to provide support for authors of good video content. However, Patreon is the most MICKEY MOUSE company I have dealt with in over 20 years on the internet. They hide info regarding a subscriber to increase or decrease a pledge to an account. No reasonable tech support. Usually you get some canned message after 2 or 3 days if you are lucky. If ever there was a company needing replacement with a more robust and forwarding thinking company it is Patreon. PLEASE, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, someone step up and provide a service which will put Patreon out of its pathetic misery. Bottom line is PATREON SUCKS the BIG ONE!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was thrilled when I found Patreon! What a great concept, thought I. Except it is very hard to get a page set up. To post my art, for example, I could never find the icon to post, unless I did a search. They have a thing called "featured tags" to help on your cover page (for creators). For the life of me, I could not figure out how to make featured tags. I did a search for help on this, but the help didn't match up with what I was seeing on MY page. I was supporting ONE creator, but I decided I'd had enough of Patreon at this point. I had to search and search, but found no clue how to stop supporting someone. I finally got an answer to an email from I'd sent them weeks ago. The email walked me through how to edit or cancel support for a creator. I canceled my support and then deactivated my account.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I enjoy using Patreon and will continue to do so. The only concern I have is their privacy policy. They use advertising tracking and cookies. This will not deter me from using their services, though it does make me a bit uncomfortable.

Patreon expert review by Rose Spinelli

Patreon, headquartered in San Francisco, was launched in 2013 by musician and Patreon CEO Jack Conte after he struggled to turn a profit for his musical content. The platform is a unique crowdfunding model for artists and content creators of all stripes. Rather than a one-time contribution YouTubers, musicians, and all types of artists obtain funding from their fans or patrons, on a recurring basis, or per work of art.

• Unique Model: Artists set up a page on the Patreon website. There patrons can pledge to give a certain amount of money to an artist every time they create a piece of art, setting a monthly maximum if desired. A fixed monthly amount can also be pledged. The recurring funding service connects creators and their fans in a modern take on the patronage system while creators benefit from guaranteed payments for each creation.

• Easy crowdfunding for creators: Many talented artists remain anonymous because of their lack the business and self-promotional acumen. Even for those skilled in marketing, it’s often a burden to take the time away from their passion to do so. Patreon removes those responsibilities by featuring new and popular creators on their blog, front page and email newsletters, handling payment processing and recurring billing so creators can focus on their creations.

• Multiple creator categories: There are a total of 14 artist categories from which to choose, making the likelihood of attracting relevant patrons, and for patrons to discover new creators, much easier.

• Have the freedom to create more: With less focus on the dollars, artists are able to spend more time doing what they do best: making art.

• Marketing strategy: Patreon allows creators to post private, patron-only content exclusively for the eyes and ears of patrons in order to encourage more monthly pledges. Private content may include early access to new material, behind the scenes information and private chats with the creators. To date Patreon fans have given creators $50 million in support.

• Best for: Patreon is best for creative people looking for alternative income streams, patrons and fans interested in supporting their favorite creators while gaining access to exclusive content.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Patreon questions and answers

What problem is Patreon trying to solve?
            Certain forms of high-quality art and creations are becoming increasingly difficult to monetize online. Patreon allows fans to directly support their favorite online creators through reoccurring pledges so they can increase production value, make more content, cut out ads and sponsors and most importantly, ensure they can keep producing the art they love.
            What sets Patreon apart from the competition?
            Most crowdfunding is devoted towards funding a single project. So it is more transaction based. Patreon is more about funding the artist, so it is much more relationship based. Patreon is built with this in mind. Rather than serving primarily as a payments provider, it offers a variety of different ways to enhance the relationship with the people supporting you directly and to help maintain and grow your patron base.
            What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
            We allow creators not only to collect money on an ongoing basis, but also provide the tools to manage that relationship with the fan who is contributing. We handle the associated international tax and accounting. We are continuing to add features that enhance distribution of rewards and features to help artists attract new patrons.
            How does Patreon measure success?
            Patreon was created to support the growing middle class of artists and creators. The more creators we can empower to make a living through their art, the more we consider that a success.
            What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
            Crowdfunding is a relatively new concept to many people and is often perceived as a method of raising money used by amateurs. But Patreon and crowdfunding in general are increasingly being used by professionals. Many artists prefer to avoid getting bogged down with labels, production companies, managers, agents and can now go directly to their fans and choose how they earn their money.
            How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
            Patreon serves a variety of online creators, but one thing is true across all of these industries, the accessibility of professional tools and distribution techniques has dramatically closed the gap between independent artists and professional production companies. You can start a podcast and reach an audience of over a million people for less a couple grand. Someone on an average budget can record a song in a home studio and distribute it to millions of people via social media. High quality art creation is now within reach for more people than any time in history. And quality and accessibility will continue to grow over time.
            What is something you wish every consumer knew about Patreon?
            Not everyone wants to get your art for as cheap as possible! Many of them genuinely care about your well-being as an artist and don’t take you for granted. They go out of their way to support the creators of the things they love and it is so inspiring to see. This is something that is often hard to see (or even believe) before you experience it through something like Patreon.
            Has Patreon received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
            Patreon was listed as “a company to watch” in the Atlantics Silicon Valley Insiders Poll, when top execs were asked about which startups they see as having the potential to change the world. We considered that a great honor and hope to be able to continue to change the lives of artists for the better.
            How has Patreon grown or evolved?
            We have and will continue to strive to serve creators. We will continue to put the creator first and provide tools and resources for them to better serve their fans and empower them to make a living doing what they love.

Patreon Company Information