Best Online Invoicing Software
Financial Software Contributing Editor
Updated on 01/26/2018
Online billing and invoicing software operates entirely within an Internet browser and often comes with additional features such as time tracking, the ability to prepare and send estimates and invoices and to accept online payments. They require subscriptions.
Online billing and invoicing software provides an overview of invoices that have been issued and paid, and some financial reporting. Some software includes accounting features while others may have apps available that import data into accounting software.
Compare Reviews for Top Online Invoicing & Billing Software
Read 11 Reviews
Due.com, founded in 2015, allows users to create invoices, capture expenses, keep track of their time, credit card processing and money transfers. The company prides themselves on their easy to use tools.
Read 179 Reviews
HouseCall Pro is committed to helping you make your business run quicker and smoother. With HouseCall Pro, you can keep track of all your business transactions as well as keeping a positive customer relationship management.
|QuickBooks Online Simple Start|
Read 60 Reviews
QuickBooks Online, created by Intuit, makes functions of the popular accounting software QuickBooks available on the Internet. The company, headquartered in Mountain View, CA, offers customers a wide range of accounting services.
Read 8 Reviews
Invoicera created a cloud-based invoicing application to help suppliers and vendors connect seamlessly. The program is used by more than 2 million customers.
Read 10 Reviews
FreshBooks is online accounting software that was created in 2003. Today, FreshBooks serves businesses and customers in more than 120 countries.
|AccountingSuite||Read Expert Review|
AccountingSuite is an award-winning cloud-based accounting and business software solution developed in 2012 by Yellow Labs Software, Inc., a custom computer programming services company based in San Francisco, CA.
|BillGrid||Read Expert Review|
BillGrid is a software-as-a-service company that offers its customers cloud-based billing solutions. The company is located in New York, NY.
|BillingOrchard||Read Expert Review|
Created in 2001, Billing Orchard is a cloud-based, automated accounts receivable department. The product drives increased cash flow by streamlining the process of receiving and processing payments.
|Harvest||Read Expert Review|
Harvest is an enterprise software company founded in 2006 in New York. The company offers tracking and billing services to big and small businesses.
|Hiveage (formerly known as CurdBee)||Read Expert Review|
Hiveage, originally knows as Curdbee, was founded in 2006. The company offers an online invoicing solution that is tailored specifically to the needs of small business owners.
What features matter most in an online billing company?
Subscription plans are for a given number of invoices, so be sure the subscription you select includes enough invoices each month. You can upgrade to a plan with more invoices later if you need to. Other features you may want to look for are the ability to customize invoices and add your company logo, a dashboard that gives a quick overview of billing and payments, recurring or automatic scheduled billing, expense tracking and multiple currency support.
- Business size: A one-person shop with only a handful of customers can save money by using an online billing subscription that offers just a few invoices each for a very low cost or even for free.
- Scheduling: If you want to batch-process invoices and hold them to send out on a specific date, automatic billing is a helpful feature.
- Automation: Those who have clients on a payment plan can use recurring billing to set up future billings quickly and the invoices will be delivered on the date specified.
- Bank level: The service should be using bank-level security, which is the highest level of security used to protect electronic data and involves strong firewalls.
- Encryption: Data needs to be encrypted, which makes it impossible for hackers to read.
- Redundancy: The file servers that house data should be located in two different geographic locations and the data should be mirrored so if one data center has problems due to storms or other issues, you can carry on with your business.
Online billing and invoicing software processes payments from customers online using payment gateways that securely encrypt bank or credit card information. Customers can pay by check, but gateway payments are faster, more secure and don't get lost in the mail.
- Top gateways: Popular gateways are PayPal, Authorize.net, Google Checkout and Sage Pay, among others.
- Choices: There are online billing software services that offer many gateways, which gives you choices if you have international customers and could save money by offering a service with no monthly fee.
- Cost: Watch the pricing on gateways, which typically charge a percentage of sales. Some gateways charge a small percentage or flat fee per payment, and others add a monthly fee to these charges. You may be able to get by with just a PayPal and Google Checkout account since these services are very popular and give the clients multiple methods of payment for individual transactions, like using a credit card or drawing directly from a bank account.
Ease of use
While all of the online billing and invoicing software listed here is easy to use, each has a slightly different way of taking you through tasks. Some will be more intuitive for you personally. You can try any of the software for free to get an idea of how it works.
- Navigation: Is finding features on the dashboard, a toolbar or other navigation area on the screen natural for you, or do you have to hunt and click around to find a feature you want to use?
- Data entry: Is entering customer data and creating invoices easy, or do you find that it takes a lot of clicks and scrolling?
- Export data: If you've been using other billing or accounting software and you want to track past sales and payments, does the online billing software import your numbers so you’re not working with two systems?
When the software is scalable, it can grow with your business by accommodating more clients, invoices and features.
- Growth: Your business is growing and you need to be able to send out more invoices each month, yet you don’t want to pay the price for an unlimited invoicing package. Does the software have intermediate, cost effective subscriptions that make sense for your business growth plan?
- Add-ons: If you plan to grow your business to include inventory or to the point that you will need more detailed financial reporting, are there add-ons available to add functions to the software you’re interested in?
- e-Commerce: Does your company do e-commerce, or will it in the future? Be sure that the software you select has an e-commerce module that is PCI compliant to ensure that both customer payment data and your sales data are secure.
Help and support
All online billing software in this guide provides one or more ways to get help should you need it. However, direct support via chat or phone is not offered in most cases because the software because is so easy to use and includes online videos and written tutorials that guide you through each feature.
- Email: Some software only provides support via email. If you have a question, are you willing to wait from 30 minutes to 24 hours to get a response if you need help?
- Online help: Most online billing software provides help through an online forum or FAQ where you will probably find an answer to your question. If you don’t find what you need, an online form is provided for you to send a communication to the support technicians.
- Direct help: If you don’t want to wait to have questions answered, look for software with chat or phone support. However, you will probably a higher subscription rate for this.
What are the different types of subscription levels?
Free subscriptions can be found but they often include a limited number of invoices. Other free subscriptions may provide enough invoices, but may place their branding somewhere on your invoices or limit the features you can use.
This is the lowest cost level of paid subscriptions with access to the software for one user. What is offered can vary widely from one online billing and invoicing software to another. You may get a low number of invoices each month or features may be limited, however, there are options at this level with adequate features and a high number of invoices.
The intermediate level will cost more and often allows for multiple users to access the software. Some add features at this level like recurring invoices, more invoice customization or more advanced customer management. Some software skips this level and only offers basic and unlimited levels.
This higher cost option gives you unlimited invoices and estimates and access to all features available in the software, such as an inventory module. Some software adds an unlimited number of users, multiple currency support or additional companies that can be managed under the same account.
Who uses online billing companies?
Self-employed & Independent contractors
These individuals conduct their own business by selling a product or service. Some of these businesses are run out of a home office. If a product is sold, these businesses typically don’t keep an inventory, but ship orders directly from the manufacturer or distributor.
Agencies provide a service on behalf of another business. An example would be a web design firm that creates an e-commerce website for a business that sells to individuals or other businesses. Agencies typically work with a number of projects and bill customers based on blocks of time spent on the project. Tracking billable hours is very important to an agency.
A mobile professional travels frequently to see customers, suppliers and others. Mobile professionals travel many miles via air or by car. An example would be a real estate agent, regional or national salesperson or a computer repair professional with many customers.
Small business with inventory
A small business with an inventory may keep products or raw materials stocked and ready to sell or use in the home, an outbuilding or a small warehouse. Some examples are cosmetics and health supply consultants, motorcycle repair person or an artist works with textiles to create art for resale or commissioned art.
Expert reviews for online billing companies
Due.com online invoicing and billing software offers easy-to-use tools for creating invoices and basic project tracking. Due.com integrates with PayPal and Basecamp and invoices in multiple currencies.
HouseCall Pro provides high-quality mobile software for the home-service industry. If you're looking for a software to minimize the hassle and paperwork that comes with running your own business, HouseCall’s mobile applications and software can meet your needs.
FreshBooks boasts 5 million users across 120 countries. Features include accounting software, time tracking, iOS and Android mobile apps, and add-ons for project management, integration with other accounting software, customer relations management and more.
Invoicera offers a lot of extras beyond online billing and invoicing, like purchase orders, estimates, time tracking and inventory management. Take advantage of their 30-day free trial before you buy.
BillGrid online billing and invoicing software offers a well-designed dashboard with links to invoicing and timekeeping tasks, a daily, weekly and monthly revenue overview and reporting for overdue, outstanding and paid invoices.
- How much does BillGrid cost?: BillGrid offers many features with no limits for a really low monthly cost. After a 30-day free trial, the monthly subscription is $8 for unlimited invoices and estimates, time tracking and customer management, customizable invoices with a logo and much more. The $20-per-month subscription includes access for multiple company names and logos and can be easily managed under one account. Additional users can be added for $5 per month.
- Reminders: You can schedule automatic late payment reminders via email.
- Gateways: Accepts online payments from PayPal, Google Wallet, Stripe and Authorize.net.
- Best for: self-employed, independent contractors and agencies.
QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.
Hiveage, formerly known as CurdBee, is a basic online billing software that offers a free online invoice generator you can try before signing up. You can create an account for free and start a 14-day free trial before you buy.
- How much does Hiveage cost?: Month-to-month pricing starts at $19 for the Starter plan and goes up to $99 per month for the Company plan. All plans include unlimited clients, bills, invoices and estimates.
- Contacts and domain: Use your own domain with your online invoices for a professional presence and multiple contacts per client is supported.
- Customizable: You can add only the features you need with modules.
- Discounts offered for certain organizations: Charities, non-profits and educational institutions qualify for a 50% discount on all plans.
- Best for: Self-employed, independent contractors and agencies.
BillingOrchard was designed by a web development firm that couldn't find the right online billing and invoicing software, so they created their own. BillingOrchard was developed with small to medium-sized businesses in mind and offers a free 15-day trial.
- How much does BillingOrchard cost?: You can choose from two subscription levels. The Oak plan is $19.95 per month and includes all features and the ability to email PDF invoices. The Orchard plan is $29.95 per month and includes all the same features as the Oak plan but also includes unlimited recurring auto-pay.
- Client portal: Customers can log on to update their credit card and banking information, and view their payments and past and current invoices.
- e-Commerce: If you take orders or do other business online, the eCommerce support is a must-have.
- e-Check: Support for payments via e-Check as well as credit cards.
- Best for: self-employed, independent contractors and agencies.
Xero online invoicing and accounting software has offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The dashboard in Xero shows real-time cash flow as customers are billed and payments are received.
- How much does Xero cost?: After a free 30-day trial, subscriptions run from $19 per month to issue five invoices and record five bills to $29 per month for unlimited invoices and bills. International businesses can add multiple currency support for $39 per month.
- Training: Comprehensive free online training videos are availble.
- Xero mobile apps: Xero Touch iPhone and Android app is well developed with many helpful tools, including expense submission.
- Fully featured: Xero offers full accounting software with payroll, inventory and bill payments features.
- Best for: mobile professionals, agencies and small business with inventory.
Invoicely, formerly called Invoiceable, is a simple online billing and invoicing software developed by a team in London that offers all features for free. Invoicely creates estimates and invoices, can be used with a number of currencies and supports payments via PayPal.
- No limits: Unlimited invoices can be customized with a logo with the free version.
- Easy to use: Very clean and simple interface, easy to navigate.
- Dashboard: View recent activity, outstanding invoice and amount collected for the year.
- Mobile: No mobile apps, but there is a mobile-friendly site.
- Payment: PayPal is the only payment option at this time.
- Best for: self-employed and independent contractors.
Zoho is a robust suite of online small business apps, including Zoho Invoice. iPhone and Android mobile apps are available, and Zoho Invoice is multi-lingual with multiple currency options.
- How much does Zoho Invoice cost?: Monthly subscriptions are free for five customers and one user, $15 per month for up to 500 customers and three users, $30 per month for unlimited users and customers. If more than one person in the company needs to do invoicing, adding users is inexpensive.
- Choices: Good selection of templates for invoices, payment reminders, payment thank-you emails and more.
- Tracking: Tracks time, expenses and basic project information.
- Mobile: Mobile apps are packed with features. Create invoices and estimates, track time and more.
- Gateways: Accepts payments from seven popular gateways, like Google Checkout and PayPal, which is enough for many businesses, but some others offer many more gateways.
- Projects: If you need more detailed project management, you'll need to use Zoho Project at a higher cost.
- Best for: self-employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.
Harvest online billing and invoicing software is designed for small businesses that provide professional services. There are a number of add-ons that allow an exchange of information to and from other digital services like Google Apps, Basecamp, QuickBooks and Asana.
- What are Harvest's plans and pricing?: After a 30-day free trial, a monthly subscription is $12 for one user ($10 each to add two more), $49 for up to 10 users and $99 for unlimited users.You get unlimited invoices, projects and clients even with the lowest level plan.
- Flexible input: Log expenses with Twitter, use mobile apps to snap photos of expense receipts and use one touch time tracking.
- Billing options: Support for retainers and multiple currencies.
- Mobile: Can't create invoices or estimates from mobile apps. Android is missing some project-related features found in iPhone app.
- Reports and inventory: Some of the reports need to be more detailed, and there is no inventory module.
- Best for: agencies, self-employed and independent contractors.
Invoiceberry offers a full range of invoicing features with support for over 200 currencies and multiple languages. While Invoiceberry doesn't have add-ons like project management or inventory management, it does offer an effective and easy-to-use online invoicing solution.
- Invoiceberry plans and pricing: Invoiceberry has three subscription levels and each includes unlimited invoices. The Forever Free option works for up to three customers and one user, the Solo plan supports 35 customers and two users for $15 per month, and the $30 Pro plan supports unlimited clients and users. All subscriptions give you a choice of invoice templates with your company's logo.
- Simple layout: Invoiceberry has a very simple and uncluttered design. Navigation is done by clicking on a bar at the top of the screen to get to invoices, quotes, expenses, reports, dashboard, items, clients and settings. Creating a new invoice, expense item or quote is done by clicking the large blue button at the top of the page designated to those tasks. Invoices can also be created from the Dashboard.
- Dashboard: When you log on to Invoiceberry, an uncluttered Dashboard presents recent activities performed in the software, a list of the latest invoices and a short performance reports for the latest three months with total billings, total receipts, expenses and the resulting cash flow amount. You’ll find a small link to the Help Center at the bottom of the page.
- Support: The help center includes a Getting Started guide, guides for each feature and a good number of videos that show you how to use Invoiceberry. You can also search for specific information by tag or use the contact form to get in touch with tech support and customer service.
- Templates: Invoice templates range from contemporary to classic looking. Email templates are available for sending invoices, quotes, invoice reminders and payment received notices. Use the default messages or enter your own. Items like invoice number, company name or customer's first and last name can be set up to automatically populate the email message.
- Best for: self-employed and independent contractors.
M-Tech Digital Web Invoice is online billing software that includes an appointment calendar, customer database, lead tracking for potential customers, invoice tracking and project management.
- M-Tech Digital pricing: Online subscription pricing ranges from $10 per month for one user account and 100 customers on up to $40 per month for up to six users and unlimited customers. Each subscription includes unlimited invoices, credit card and PayPal payments and inventory management, among other features. There is also a free online subscription that covers five customers and one user but only offers 20 invoices.
- Advanced features: M-Tech Digital includes a POS system that works with over 250 cash registers, inventory management and labor costs, help desk or service request tracking, service appointment scheduling and a shopping cart that customers can use to place orders online. Reminders can be automatically sent to customers can via phone, email or text message for late payments and upcoming appointments. Other features include barcode generation and tracking expenses.
- Customer portal: Customers can log in to a handy portal to see statements and orders or to create and manage service requests and appointments with sales and service employees. Invoices can be paid in full or partially from the portal.
- Support: Help is available by phone, email and via remote assistance. A PDF manual explains the basics of using Web Invoice, but not much more. Three of four video tutorials go into detail and are very useful. There is an online support forum, but it's populated with very old posts.
- Best for: self-employed, small business with inventory and independent contractors.
Invoiced offers a complete billing system that streamlines the creation of invoices and makes payments quick and easy. Now serving more than 1,000 clients, Invoiced has grown from a simple invoice generator to a system that integrates all payments and tracking.
- Custom solutions: Using a REST API, Invoiced allows users to build custom integrations and workflows, which enables intuitive use of the software and helps boost finance efficiency.
- Invoice tracking: Sending a reminder notice to clients who never received a bill can cause professional embarrassment and friction, but with invoice tracking, senders can see what invoices were successfully received and when they were opened.
- Hosted billing portal: Every invoice sent can link back to a hosted billing portal that allows for instant digital payments through a secure and encrypted platform; clients receive the invoice and click to pay.
- Tiered pricing: Invoiced offers three different pricing tiers based on the volume of invoices sent each month, and those who pay annually get two months free.
- Enterprise enabled: Enterprise support includes a scalable invoicing system, the ability to work with any payment processor, flexible API for CRM or ERP integration and customizable invoice templates.
- Best for: self-employed, independent contractors and small businesses.
AccountingSuite integrates accounting, order and inventory management into a single, cloud-based app for entrepreneurs, startups and established businesses. It was recognized as a high-quality SMB accounting software solution at the Sleeter Group's 2016 Awesome App Awards.
- AccountingSuite features: The software enables businesses to access real-time financial reports, manage sales orders and customer service transactions, streamline purchasing processes, automate inventory control and track project progress. It is in compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Advanced inventory management provides hierarchical support for multiple locations and sub-locations, as well as categorization by attributes such as classes and projects.
- Automation: AccountingSuite connects to more than 6,000 financial institutions and downloads transactions automatically, enabling businesses to spend less time entering transactions.
- Time tracking: Time tracking tools make it easy for employees and contractors to track time, manage projects and measure productivity.
- Multi-user support: AccountingSuite's multi-user support allows businesses to provide employees, contractors, advisers, investors and accountants with concurrent access to key financial information.
- Invoice management: Invoicing tools ensure that businesses are able to create and send invoices, reconcile payments and track cash flow.
- Best for: Startups, mobile professionals, entrepreneurs and growing companies.
The levels of subscriptions vary from one online billing and invoicing software to another. One software may have only two levels while others have three, and all the software covered here has a free version. Various add-ons may be available to extend features or plug your data into accounting, customer management or other business software.
All expert grades are based on a combination of features offered, cost of monthly subscription, ease of use and availability of mobile apps.Are you an expert?
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Compare Reviews for Top Online Invoicing & Billing Software
|Invoiceberry||Read Expert Review|
Invoiceberry has created simple online invoicing and accounting software for small businesses. The company is based in London and offers both paid and free services.
|Invoiced||Read Expert Review|
Invoiced offers a complete billing solution for small businesses and enterprise organizations with a lite version available at no cost. Pricing is based on invoice volume, so businesses never pay for unused services.
|Invoicely||Read Expert Review|
Invoicely is free invoicing software that allows users to automate invoice creation and payments. The company is based in London and was founded in 2015.
|M-Tech Digital||Read Expert Review|
M-Tech Digital provides customers with invoicing software as well as appointment scheduling and reminders. The company offers desktop software in addition to its Internet-based products and services.
|Xero||Read Expert Review|
Xero has created online accounting software that is intended for use by small businesses. The San Francisco-based company's services are hosted in the cloud.
|Zoho Invoice||Read Expert Review|
Zoho Invoice's parent company, AdventNet, was founded in 1996 as a network management company. Today, Zoho Invoice offers a suite of business apps that allows customers to send invoices and track and accept payments online.