Rose SpinelliCrowdfunding Contributing Editor
Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.
More about Rose→
MicroVentures, based in both San Francisco and Austin, was founded in 2009. The company connects both accredited and nonaccredited investors to startup companies for equity-based crowdfunding, and they offer both primary and secondary investment opportunities. They were one of the financial industry's first organizations that merged crowdfunding with the venture capital industry. Facebook used MicroVentures to raise money.
- Quality checks: MicroVentures conducts detailed analyses of the startups that apply to be on its platform. Criteria include the odds of profitability and the amount of risk involved. Any startup that meets these standards is eligible to receive help in raising capital from angel investors, making it well-positioned to be funded.
- Reputation: As a broker-dealer platform, the company is registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Its brokers work closely with investors to connect them to the right startups. High standards means that it accepts less than 0.5% of companies who apply for listing on the platform. Personal relationships and attention are two hallmarks of investor customer service.
- Fees: MicroVentures takes a 10% fee (5% from the issuer and 5% from investors) from each successful raise. If the full amount of an offering is not raised, then all investor money is returned.
- Any stage allowed: MicroVentures takes applications from startups seeking seed money to get going, as well as established companies looking to expand into new markets.
- Streamlined process: A company should expect to receive final approval for funding six weeks after it submits its application. After it is funded, funds are dispersed within two weeks.
- Best for MicroVentures funds startups, especially those in technology, consumer products and services, healthcare, media and entertainment and telecommunications industries.
Compare Crowdfunding Sites
MicroVentures Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Year Founded:
- 2905 San Gabriel Street Suite 212
- Postal Code:
- United States