Consumer Complaints and Reviews
We are poor farmers in Hawaii... We worked with Kiva. We had a devastatingly terrible experience with Kiva, they told us in writing that we were qualified to get a loan, they then gave us a unreasonable timeline to get 15 of our supporters to donate to our cause charging them all almost 4 dollars to do so. They we went live on their site once we got this task of our 15 supporters, then two days before we got funded they send us a email saying that their Kiva IQ was going to send a link for us to fill in some questions. This was on a Wed... We never got they Kiva IQ was to send. We email a message and called them that we did not get the link, then on Thursday, we were fully funded, as we were funded we sent an email to all of our supporters in celebration of our being funded of $10,000. We also called and email them again about the Kiva IQ and thanked them for helping us get funded.
Then on Friday when we were fully funded we asked when we were to get the funds but no reply. Then on Monday after the weekend this was just in Feb. a gal named Suzanne ** sends us an email saying that our loan was denied and everyone, over 50 people were getting their funds back. Well this was not only humiliating for us in our community and hurt our reputation but also we had spent the funds anticipating the funding coming in. We were devastated are now in great financial hardships due to their negligence. We have written to everyone at Kiva.org with no response. This is so heartless and inhumane. We are poor farmers. Please help us.
Rose SpinelliCrowdfunding Contributing Editor
Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.
Kiva, headquartered in San Francisco, is a registered nonprofit, microlending organization, allowing people to lend money via the internet to low-income entrepreneurs and students in over 80 countries. It was founded in 2005 with the mission to reduce poverty through microfinance loans that create growth opportunities for people who would otherwise have no access to bank loans. Kiva has earned a 4 out of 4 star rating from Charity Navigator.
- Fees: Kiva never collects interest on loans, and individual Kiva lenders do not receive interest from loans they support on Kiva. Two-thirds of Kiva’s operating costs are covered by donations made by Kiva lenders. Grants and donations from foundations and supporters cover the remaining costs.
- Zip: Kiva Zip launched to drive innovations in person-to-person lending. Zip provides 0% interest on loans up to $5,000 for small businesses and entrepreneurs who meet certain character and trust requirements.
- Field partners: Donations go to microfinance organizations, called field partners, around the world. These on-the-ground partners attend to administrative tasks such as screening borrowers.
- Repayment: Repayment numbers are inspiring. Borrowers repay nearly 99 percent of the funds they receive, which means that lenders tend to put their money into another worthy cause to continue the cycle of giving. Borrowers work with field partners to set repayment schedules that match their needs.
- Lending teams: People form and join teams from colleges or businesses, or teams focus on common interests. This team support helps boost campaign visibility.
- Best for Kiva is an excellent way for social impact investors to help people around the world with as little as $25, the of which benefits life altering in pulling them out of poverty, building confidence and self esteem, and providing positive role models to future generations of budding entrepreneurs.
Compare Crowdfunding Sites
Kiva Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Year Founded:
- 875 Howard Street, Suite 340
- San Francisco
- Postal Code:
- United States