3.5/5 (75 ratings)

About Kickstarter

Kickstarter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: July 28, 2021

I blame myself for not doing research first. The policy of Kickstarter is to take no responsibility for any of the projects they promote. I wouldn’t have thought this type of website would be legal but apparently it is. Any scamster with a vaguely legitimate sounding project can get a platform to scam money through Kickstarter. The project I backed just disappeared and nothing to be done, no refund, no apology. Would never use again and wouldn’t recommend anyone uses it. Has taught me to be more careful of shopping online so I guess that’s something.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I placed my bid back in January for a tarot deck she created and it's been one excuse after another. She has now pushed out the shipment until sometime in September. It's called Doodle Tarot. First it was her 'printing company' then she was injured and now we're back to the printing company. I would have already found another printing company! She's a total rip off. Doesn't respond to any emails or text on the site except when someone wants to throw more money to her. Total rip off!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I, along with 1,500 other backers believe that the X-TRA battery campaign was a cash grab scam. Messages have been sent both privately and directly to the project creators...and nothing has been received in return. No updates, not a peep on the discussion wall...nada. Additionally, articles from original influencers are speaking out against this specific campaign--something I've never seen with Kickstarter campaigns until this one.

I have been backing projects on Kickstarter for years with generally positive (even if delayed) experiences, but if a project didn't work out, my money was returned. That said, I've learned through this experience that there is NO accountability by Kickstarter for campaigns that turn out to be fraudulent. Until this experience, I would have recommended Kickstarter to people, but I will not be backing ANY Kickstarter moving forward or recommend that others give their hard earned money on a project that very well could have no accountability.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Probably most people use the money they get from backers for something legit but those who do not are free to just walk away with the money. Kickstarter is nothing but a web based money exchange and they clearly have no moral backbone nor interest in keeping it honest and legal. People do, like the project I back by Diana Jones who wanted money to record an album, end up spending the money on something else and then me the backer have no recourse to get my money back.

I gave her $250 which was a lot and then she stopped sending out progress reports after covid and just sent out an email saying she was "so thankful" for the money she got because it allowed her to survive (ie she spent it on living expenses) but she did not finish the project and was asking people to donate more money privately for the album.

I did not agree to foot her living expenses and I emailed kickstarter 4x about this and no reply, shameful and a disgrace. I also emailed Diana Jone (are you there?) 4x at various different addresses and no reply. Listen Diana, I have cancer, I got it after I donated. I lost my job, I lost my house, I owe money for medical bills and I can't afford now to pay your rent when I am homeless. Are you there? Bottom line like all the "gig economy" money making schemes there's people making millions off this Kickstarter thing but they have no moral sense and could care less if people get burned. As others have said they get their cut then run to the bank. Shame on you.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I've backed around 50 projects over the years. At the start, creators using Kickstarter were fairly honest -- typically delivering what was promised, though not always by the estimated dates. That's completely understandable since many creators did not have manufacturing or logistics expertise. I was happy to help some name brands build their businesses, such as Peak Design, Moment, and Fellow. Sadly, Kickstarter has turned into the preferred platform for scam artists and fraud over recent years. I've backed some current projects that have taken in several million dollars in funds -- only for the creators to disappear with the money and left backers empty handed.

Kickstarter does absolutely nothing to screen these unscrupulous individuals (who often provide fake identities). Most important, there is often little recourse for backers, since Kickstarter also does everything possible to challenge any credit card disputes, even when clear fraud was evident. For these reasons, I'm not backing any further projects. That's the shame of this whole situation: it penalizes small business that rely on crowdfunding to get their unique ideas off the ground.

Original review: March 6, 2021

WOW! Because of these scam artists I have had the most stressful 6 months of my life no lie. I backed the project and I still have emails that said these items are Christmas gifts and they guaranteed delivery before Christmas. Well to make long story short they made about more date promises. Finally I got fed up and did a chargeback with Mastercard. They refunded me but it was far from over. When their shady bank was contacted they said I violated a condition where I had to apply for refund in first week. LIE! Read their FAQ section on their website and it says you can get refunded up until day of shipping! So now they are commiting fraud.

They have been telling me I will get a refund since Jan 5th. It's March 6th. They are blaming Covid shipping restrictions. There are no restrictions. I have been getting orders from China, USA, UK, Germany all on time. I believe they have no money and are stringing people along. Also if I pay Mastercard why can't I get refunded the same way? They first tried asking for our banking info which nobody should give and now it's Paypal. Please listen to me! NEVER USE KICKSTARTER. It's not worth the risk!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Kickstarter used to be a great place to discover innovation and new ideas worth supporting. Now, it is overrun by scammers presenting an invention, collecting vast amounts of money, then never delivering, or delivering something far inferior to what was promised. Kickstarter does not support backers where issues arise. You will get no help. Simply avoid the platform and choose your products carefully from local suppliers or reputable international merchants. This review is based on the last two Kickstarter projects I have backed. They will be the last.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I've got an 80% rate of either receiving utter trash products, or simply none delivery. Kickstarter needs to do a way better job at moderating the projects listed and have some form of identification from all these scammers. I've found so many products that were ripped off from Taobao and listed as new projects that were 2-5x the price. Sometimes I feel that Kickstarter doesn't care since they can get a cut if the project is successfully funded. Whatever happens after that is none of their business. This is a horrible system and they put in 0 effort in any attempts to protect the consumers. I would give 0 stars if possible.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Total fraud. $ 115,115 stolen from 1,587 people. In April 2020, I supported a project called CHARGIC, a USB-C power adapter, along with 1,586 other backers who pledged $ 115,115 to start this project. During the project period, various messages were sent stating that the product was manufactured. An update was then sent in July stating that shipping would be delayed. It is now November 16th without any further notice from Chargic or Kickstarter. The community page for the project is inundated with disgruntled customers demanding their money back and asking Kickstarter to take responsibility.

Kickstarter refused to do anything. There is always only a reference to contact the project starter, who does not answer. As my research shows, many project starters take the money and then go away with it and there is no chance of getting it back as Kickstarter refuses to help. Only support projects on the Kickstarter website if you have money that you don't need or want to keep.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

So far 0 for 3 on projects I paid to back and Kickstarter doesn't do refunds. Pretty much scam artists making money. Beware this is a waste and needs way more ways to help people against scams. Do not use this site. It's a waste.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I backed a project along with 1586 other people. Money was taken in April 2020 and the product was due to be delivered in June. In July the creator said it was delayed, but that was the last message. If you contact Kickstarter they reply with canned messages pointing to their terms of use which basically say that they are not accountable for fraudulent use of their framework. They don't KYC the creators and don't protect the backers, they are just interested in capturing their margin and then walking away. I have been reminded by Kickstarter that their business is based on trust. Ha! How can you trust a business like this when they have no moral or legal obligation to help their customers? Thanks for nothing Kickstarter.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Minutes after I backed a project, an $85 charge (HTTPSWWW.KICK,DC 20005 - appears on statement as KICKSTARTER ENOUGH OF HTTPSWWW.KICK.DC20005 US) appeared on my credit card. I clicked on Merchant Website and it takes me to Kickstarter. The project I backed (for cookware) clearly stated that IF the project goes forward, a charge of $109.00 would be placed on my card at a date that is 3 weeks in the future at 4:30 pm. There is no way to reach Kickstarter Support - there’s only FAQ. I canceled my backing of this project, received an email confirming I canceled, saying I haven’t been and wouldn’t be charged $109.00, but the $85 charge is not related to this project and is still on my card. Total scam.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

If I could, I would give it 0 Stars. Kickstarter is the biggest scam ever. It doesn't protect the people that put in the money, which is us, the backer. All they care about is getting more creators in to drive in more people to pay for stuff that's not even that great or to pay for nothing. Once the project is funded and kickstarter gives like maybe 60% of it to the creators to create the products, they don't care and they release all responsibilities. So BEWARE, if it's too good to be true, it's TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

For example, I backed the dashcam with a 360 camera (No one has done this before, so now it seems it's too good to be true) the Vezo 360 by Arvizon. They promised the world that they would ship by September 2019, yet delays after delays after delays and then COVID-19 was the excuse and now they aren't even replying or updating the project. With no product and no refund, this whole project looks exactly like a scam.

I would rant on in the comments and my last few comments were of me exposing the CEO of Arvizon, Vivek Soni was the CTO of another company called TwoEyesTech which also had a campaign for a VR camera which was also "delayed" many months! After posting that, Kickstarter deleted ALL my comments about those and took my commenting privileges away. Talk about protecting the scammers. After the projects I've backed so far, I will never back another project on Kickstarter again.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I've backed this project of HyperDisk on Kickstarter. The project has been delayed since December 2019, then they use the COVID 19 as excuse for their own faults. They had plenty of time to source the parts before the outbreak. The estimated delivery time was set on Feb 2020, which was before the global pandemic. Then I emailed both kickstarter and the project founder. Kickstarter claimed it's not their responsibility to monitor if the project was gone through as "promised." I requested refund from the project founder, after dozens of emails going back and forth, after two months, neither the disk or refund has been seen. Not mentioning they take a 25% cut from the original funds. What a shame! I have all the emails as proof. Am I going to use kickstarter again? That's a guaranteed NO. Be aware! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyperdisk/hyperdisk-probably-the-smallest-and-fastest-portable-ssd?ref=user_menu

Original review: May 31, 2020

Kickstarter is a scam. They do not independently verify that Creators on their platform actually exist or are real human beings. I've had a creator disappear with the project money, contacted Kickstarter help only to be told that I'm responsible for doing background checks on the Creators to make sure they are who they say they are. How is that the job of a backer when they are supposedly using a "secure" platform where every project is "reviewed by Kickstarter's Trust & Accountability team"? They offer no help, apart from a copy/paste script which is nothing but lies. I don't understand how they can set up a platform for people to scam others and then take a cut from the profits? They are benefiting from CRIMINAL ACTIVITY and should be jailed for doing so. Any other individual would face criminal proceedings if they were found to be doing the exact same thing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Kickstarter seems like the absolute most amazing idea ever. I am sure there are many projects that are legit, unfortunately you have no way of knowing. I backed a project around 3 years ago. It reached its goal but the deadline to receive your products (at your pledge level) had come and gone and 2 years later I logged in to see what was going on. People were commenting that they had been that had received the items and it was NOTHING like promised. It was essentially a scam.

I contacted the company for a refund and they said they had already allocated my money toward production. I spoke with someone at kickstarter and they said it's entirely out of their hands. Then the company actually said they would give me half the money back and I agreed. When I followed up months later they said they can't do that as per kickstarter policy and they could ship the items out to me.

The item is evidently not the item that was marketed - and people are receiving very poor quality items while this company pocketed a million dollars. But as long as kickstarter got their fee there is NO responsibility. Just keep in mind that you MAY lose the money you put into any kickstarter project, whether it's backed or not, because kickstarter has no protections for the consumer if it turns out to be a scam.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Kickstarter policy allows companies to collect money with no accountability or recourse! Also connected to Indiegogo, they are both advertising and collecting money for Reviv with complaints of backers who do not get their perks. So far they have collected over $1,438,605 USD by 8,067 backers according to Indiegogo on 1/11/20 and still going strong with promises to provide and yet many of us on Facebook are asking for customer service and our perk to no avail. There is no law enforcement help either. You can give money on a promise that no one polices. I purchased my blanket in November of 2018. This is legal theft and fraud.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Backed a project in 2014. Kickstarter has no accountability and does nothing to protect or help its backers. Been over 5 years waiting on the product I backed and left frustrated and angry along with over 20,000 other backers expressing their frustrations as well. That is a lot of people out of $$, no product to test, no reward to receive. I will never back Kickstarter again! I was backer # 29,854 out of 62,642 backers who in total pledged $13,285,226 to help bring this project to life. 13 million was given to build this product which has been in stock and on Amazon, on the company website and thousands of backers were scammed - never receiving their backed product. I don't believe I will ever receive it. Cost me $570 personally. Never again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We took a lot of time and energy creating our campaign draft. The draft was declined without specific reasons and we were given a generic, form email of 'reasons'. In response to their request for more information, we pointed out another campaign that had been approved that was very similar to ours. We received no feedback other than 'still declined'. Waste of energy and not worth the effort.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I purchased a DRYCERATOP - 100%Solar Dehydrator on July 7 2019. Paid $32.00. Subsequently received an email stating it would be mailed out in a few weeks. I Never received it. I sent two emails which were never answered. Please refund my $32.00 or send me the Dryceratop. I was purchasing the item - NOT backing it (unless purchasing is an indication of backing).

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I backed this program 3 years ago. Finally 2 years later got a broken machine. I sent it back promptly to the company as instructed. Now almost a year later still no machine as they can’t get the right part! So unprofessional - they have taken my money and now I am left empty handed. I feel Kickstarter is backing unprofessional so call campaigns. Do not buy a machine from this company. You won’t get one. And if you are lucky to get one - it won’t work. Just get a regular juicer and forget this expensive gimmick. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Throw money in the ocean instead. Kickstarter is a company that has built a website, takes a cut of sales, and nothing else. They will not help you get money back from fraudulent creators. Any legitimate company would have someone step in to help mistreated customers, but they won't. They already have their cut and Customer Service made it clear to me that taking my money is all they'll do. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Remember - Kickstarter ALWAYS get paid. And they offer no recourse when a creator runs off with funding. Why? Because they've already gotten paid. Since it's usually a year or so before you've realized you've been scammed, most banks/credit card companies won't do anything, either. Kickstarter offers ZERO consumer protection, and will quickly silence any attempt at satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Kickstarter is not recommendable, if you want to be sure to receive the funded Product. If you agree to lose your funded money, then it is the perfect place for you to spend and lose some spare money. But if you want to have a Serious Product, you should wait until the Product is available through normal Retail Shops.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Terrible platform. Used to be good until companies realized they could exploit Kickstarter's "Not our problem mentality" when it comes to handling money over from Backers to Creators. They take their cut of the profits and then entirely back out of anything that comes after. If you're a creator, make a bunch of promises, add some delays, and then never ship your product = best way to get rich quick.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Kickstarter's customer service is of no use to you when a creator decides to scam you. Kickstarter customer service repeatedly tells you to deal with the "creator" of the project without giving any advice or help. They have no protections set in place for backers. They are 100% geared towards enabling creators, which is great, IF you are a successful creator. HOWEVER, IF you back no that someone can easily make a fake campaign, fulfill their goal and then take your money and run and.... Kickstarter will not do a thing about it. Kickstarter is a haven for scammers, they make it easy for anyone to be suckered out of money!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We bought a bag from this company which was substandard in quality having seized zippers, rusted rivets and stained fabric. I emailed asking for a replacement and the company agreed to send one. THEY NEVER SENT IT. Equally, I have unsubscribed to their onerous emails but they continue to litter my inbox. Overall experience was the pits. Would recommend to my enemies.

Original review: July 29, 2019

As per title, Kickstarter is a crowdfunding website where 'entrepreneur' can fund projects by asking the community for funds in return for beta/early products. Some cases it's great, but others be weary. Kickstarter cannot enforce any law or accountability on Kickstarter creators, and therefore you're practically gambling money away for projects that may or may not be fulfilled.

Kickstarter reporting system does nothing, they know they can't chase project owners, and nor can anyone pursue charges against the project owners, you're literally handing over funds in a unknown state whether you'll receive something or nothing in return. Kickstarter if looking to expand or do better, needs to enforce law and accountability to project creators, otherwise you're better off buying shares/stock investment.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I have backed multiple Kickstarter projects and was overall satisfied. With QuikSnap it was different. The project was late (as most projects are) BUT the creator was very unresponsive to our questions, nor was he regularly posting updates. Kickstarter sent us backers to face him on different social platforms where he simply disregarded us.

One year later, while the creator failed to fulfill or refund, Kickstarter simply won't answer inquiries. In the few they did answer they suggested I take the creator to court as a last resort, but won't supply his contact details. They also refuse to let me speak to their legal adviser (or anyone else). All they can do is post irrelevant copy/paste responses or as they do with most tickets - simply close them with no response at all. While they have collected their commission and the project creator collected the rest - the paying backers remain with no product, no money and worst of all - no communication.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I bought a product on Kickstarter and the creators are not answering for 3 months. I requested help from support and they told me to keep trying and just tried to take the responsibility off their wings. I should have never trusted the Kickstarter brand. At Indiegogo the support works and I have never had such a bad experience.

Kickstarter Company Information