3.41/5

46 Kickstarter Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

I have backed multiple Kickstarter projects and was overall satisfied. With QuikSnap it was different. The project was late (as most projects are) BUT the creator was very unresponsive to our questions, nor was he regularly posting updates. Kickstarter sent us backers to face him on different social platforms where he simply disregarded us.

One year later, while the creator failed to fulfill or refund, Kickstarter simply won't answer inquiries. In the few they did answer they suggested I take the creator to court as a last resort, but won't supply his contact details. They also refuse to let me speak to their legal adviser (or anyone else). All they can do is post irrelevant copy/paste responses or as they do with most tickets - simply close them with no response at all. While they have collected their commission and the project creator collected the rest - the paying backers remain with no product, no money and worst of all - no communication.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I bought a product on Kickstarter and the creators are not answering for 3 months. I requested help from support and they told me to keep trying and just tried to take the responsibility off their wings. I should have never trusted the Kickstarter brand. At Indiegogo the support works and I have never had such a bad experience.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Never got the straw. Multiple "updates" and a form to fill out because I didn't get the product. No answer to the form and still no straw. Where is my money? I could have given it to 4Ocean to really help the environment. I will never give again to any Kickstarter campaign. What a sham.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I have used Kickstarter a few times and there were delays but the teams kept the “investors” updated. The Sunrise Pillow team wanted $50K but got $700K then the updates started to dry up. They did same on Indigo. Same product. More engagement with the backers (they answered emails). They asked for $50K and got $800K. They kept the engagement going longer but in the end no sign of the creators.

Kickstarter washed their hands after changing their Terms of Conditions in October 2012. They were happy that they got more money 5% of $800K is better than 5% of $50K. What do they actually do for their money? They should take some responsibility for managing the flow of money and that the makers keep up with the updates; maybe they need to take more of a percentage and act as project managers?

There is no responsibility from either makers or Kickstarter. Mode | M took away $1.425M and Kickstarter took $75K instead of $5K - what did the backers get? Nothing, no explanation, no idea of what happened. Complain to Kickstarter and they don’t want anything to do with it, after all they had a great payout. Mode | M - will not respond and there are backers still expecting the pillow. I couldn’t leave a no star review.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The so called inventor tricked subscribers for 2.5 millions usd and gave a few emails saying because of the Android system upgraded to version 7 that they have to extend the project for 1 year more. After that simply gave us another email that the project is terminated without any explanation about how money spent and liability. The postage money was gone to their pocket as well. No matter how everyone involved complained to Kickstarter but they only excused that this is one of the possible unsuccessful cases. So if you want to support scammer, go Kickstarter. They will grab your last cent of money at the end.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: April 2, 2019

I am very disappointed from Kickstarter in general because I bought a product after the Kickstarter campaign finished and paid through PayPal. 2 years later, I received my product, whilst the always in communication with the maker. So, I was very happy. I thought why not go through Kickstarter. What a mistake that was.

I first bought a 3D printer a MORPHEUS delta; Fine Quality Resin from Team Owl Works that was the end of 2016. The maker has no respect for the backers and has not delivered. Also, they keep on giving fake promises using the Kickstarter platform. Even though many asked for a refund they are not obliged to do so. I thought hey maybe this is just one bad apple, so I backed a project Game Boy Zero- Handheld Edition by Eugene Andruszczenko. I still have not received my reward and the maker has ignored all emails and messages. Even people that didn’t back his project got their product through Tindie but as a Kickstarter backer I got nothing.

So, I emailed Kickstarter as a customer to complain and they emailed me back apologizing and that they can not do anything about it basically telling me to ** OFF in a nice way. In conclusion if you like a product on Kickstarter don’t buy on Kickstarter. Just wait and buy it from a known seller and pay by PayPal on his website. Because KICKSTARTER DOES NOT PROTECT THEIR CUSTOMERS' RIGHTS. All they care about is getting their percentage of the funds, If I could vote -5 star I would.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Stay away from this outfit. Contributed to a project through Kickstarter, "The no mess French press", by Rite Development Lab out of West Hollywood Ca. The guy who owns this firm, Sargam, appears to be a scam artist as no one I've actually verified to have contributed to their "effort" has actually received one of the presses. Now this guy is demanding over 30 bucks to get on a fast track list of contributors and have the alleged French press shipped. Those who choose not to give this scam artist more of their money are shuffled to the back and can wait for their alleged press till Hades freezes over. This outfit and Rite Inc. should be looked over by the FTC, and those who this guy Sargam fleeced might consider lodging a complaint with the FTC.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have supported nine (9) projects on Kickstarter in the last three years. Of those nine, the latest three (3) have been fraudulent products. I supported all three of these campaigns within a few months without realizing that two years later I would still be without a product, communication from the product leaders nor any retribution from Kickstarter. Upon contacting Kickstarter in regards to each of these campaigns and the resulting lack of fulfillment, I have received not only zero monetary return, but a complete lack of professional and ethical response on behalf of Kickstarter.

The best they could produce was an email stating: "Our biggest expectation of creators, especially when a project is delayed, is that they communicate with backers through updates or messages. If that hasn’t happened, appeal to the creator. Encourage them to post more information. If you’ve already messaged a creator via Kickstarter and haven’t received a response, consider reaching out through other channels. This could be the creator’s own website or social media channels, where they may be more responsive."

Not only is Kickstarter avoiding taking action against a campaign that has evaded its backers, and can be proved in their lack of communication on the platform itself where all communication occurs, but they have taken money as fees from both the campaign creators and those who have backed the campaign. Kickstarter is making money whether it's customer base and supporters are happy or not and they are content with that. It is time for Kickstarter to step up and support those who are keeping their platform running. It would be nothing without projects being successfully funded by backers like you and I. However with three failed projects and no support from Kickstarter, I do not see this as a viable, ethical, nor professional company to continue to support. I for one will never support a project on Kickstarter knowing there are no standers.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have backed a few projects on Kickstarter in the past without any issues. It does provide a platform for startup companies to collect money directly from consumers in exchange for a discount before the product is even produced or still in the developing stage. If I could give zero star to Kickstarter I would. I recently backed a project on Kickstarter where the project turned out to be a scam. The project creator disappeared with the money after the project was fully funded. Notified Kickstarter and their solution was to wait and "cheer" for the project creator because sometimes they might be overwhelmed with the project and forget to respond to backers' messages.

After several emails back and forth with Kickstarter customer support, now even Kickstarter has gone radio silent without responding to my emails for the last 2 weeks. Kickstarter will not do anything if the project fails to deliver or if the project is a scam. I will not use Kickstarter ever again because they really don't have a good vetting process on their projects and background of the creators. Once they collect their money after the project is fully funded, they just pushed the responsibility to the backers and project creator. Kickstarter is just a horrible company and offers no solution or refund if something goes wrong.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

After investing several hundred dollars in luggage on Kickstarter and being strung along for several years with 17 updates, the product manufacturer went silent and closed their email account. No product delivered, no explanation of product failure. Kickstarter made their money and offers zero recourse. I will never invest through Kickstarter again.

Kickstarter expert review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

• Best for: Kickstarter is the best fundraising platform for artists, designers and product-related businesses to get support for creative projects.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information