Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.97/5

Kickstarter Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Kickstarter seems like the absolute most amazing idea ever. I am sure there are many projects that are legit, unfortunately you have no way of knowing. I backed a project around 3 years ago. It reached its goal but the deadline to receive your products (at your pledge level) had come and gone and 2 years later I logged in to see what was going on. People were commenting that they had been that had received the items and it was NOTHING like promised. It was essentially a scam.

I contacted the company for a refund and they said they had already allocated my money toward production. I spoke with someone at kickstarter and they said it's entirely out of their hands. Then the company actually said they would give me half the money back and I agreed. When I followed up months later they said they can't do that as per kickstarter policy and they could ship the items out to me.

The item is evidently not the item that was marketed - and people are receiving very poor quality items while this company pocketed a million dollars. But as long as kickstarter got their fee there is NO responsibility. Just keep in mind that you MAY lose the money you put into any kickstarter project, whether it's backed or not, because kickstarter has no protections for the consumer if it turns out to be a scam.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Backed a project in 2014. Kickstarter has no accountability and does nothing to protect or help its backers. Been over 5 years waiting on the product I backed and left frustrated and angry along with over 20,000 other backers expressing their frustrations as well. That is a lot of people out of $$, no product to test, no reward to receive. I will never back Kickstarter again! I was backer # 29,854 out of 62,642 backers who in total pledged $13,285,226 to help bring this project to life. 13 million was given to build this product which has been in stock and on Amazon, on the company website and thousands of backers were scammed - never receiving their backed product. I don't believe I will ever receive it. Cost me $570 personally. Never again!

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We took a lot of time and energy creating our campaign draft. The draft was declined without specific reasons and we were given a generic, form email of 'reasons'. In response to their request for more information, we pointed out another campaign that had been approved that was very similar to ours. We received no feedback other than 'still declined'. Waste of energy and not worth the effort.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I purchased a DRYCERATOP - 100%Solar Dehydrator on July 7 2019. Paid $32.00. Subsequently received an email stating it would be mailed out in a few weeks. I Never received it. I sent two emails which were never answered. Please refund my $32.00 or send me the Dryceratop. I was purchasing the item - NOT backing it (unless purchasing is an indication of backing).

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I backed this program 3 years ago. Finally 2 years later got a broken machine. I sent it back promptly to the company as instructed. Now almost a year later still no machine as they can’t get the right part! So unprofessional - they have taken my money and now I am left empty handed. I feel Kickstarter is backing unprofessional so call campaigns. Do not buy a machine from this company. You won’t get one. And if you are lucky to get one - it won’t work. Just get a regular juicer and forget this expensive gimmick. STAY AWAY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Throw money in the ocean instead. Kickstarter is a company that has built a website, takes a cut of sales, and nothing else. They will not help you get money back from fraudulent creators. Any legitimate company would have someone step in to help mistreated customers, but they won't. They already have their cut and Customer Service made it clear to me that taking my money is all they'll do. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Remember - Kickstarter ALWAYS get paid. And they offer no recourse when a creator runs off with funding. Why? Because they've already gotten paid. Since it's usually a year or so before you've realized you've been scammed, most banks/credit card companies won't do anything, either. Kickstarter offers ZERO consumer protection, and will quickly silence any attempt at satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Kickstarter is not recommendable, if you want to be sure to receive the funded Product. If you agree to lose your funded money, then it is the perfect place for you to spend and lose some spare money. But if you want to have a Serious Product, you should wait until the Product is available through normal Retail Shops.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Terrible platform. Used to be good until companies realized they could exploit Kickstarter's "Not our problem mentality" when it comes to handling money over from Backers to Creators. They take their cut of the profits and then entirely back out of anything that comes after. If you're a creator, make a bunch of promises, add some delays, and then never ship your product = best way to get rich quick.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Kickstarter's customer service is of no use to you when a creator decides to scam you. Kickstarter customer service repeatedly tells you to deal with the "creator" of the project without giving any advice or help. They have no protections set in place for backers. They are 100% geared towards enabling creators, which is great, IF you are a successful creator. HOWEVER, IF you back no that someone can easily make a fake campaign, fulfill their goal and then take your money and run and.... Kickstarter will not do a thing about it. Kickstarter is a haven for scammers, they make it easy for anyone to be suckered out of money!

Kickstarter expert review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

• Best for: Kickstarter is the best fundraising platform for artists, designers and product-related businesses to get support for creative projects.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information