Kickstarter

Compare Crowdfunding Sites

Research top Crowdfunding Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

There doesn't seem to be any recourse for defective/missing products once you've donated. Click - pick which $$ funding you want and pay. Easy peasy. I've had mainly good results with Kickstarter - some took longer than initially thought but still came. However, there is 1 that a defective product was received and I've communicated for about 2 years with them. Last I hear I think they are filing bankruptcy or selling.

It's linked to my amazon.com account. All I have to do is select the donation I want and it's automatically charged to my Amazon account. Donating on Kickstarter is incredibly easy. You can easily and quickly donate to all the projects if you so chose to. The only challenge lays with the project founders/creators themselves. Not all projects come to fruition and many are rife with problems or setbacks. I've been fortunate, in that most have come to market and when they haven't; my funds returned.

Everything went smoothly. No hitches or delays. Click, enter into, done. Good way to promote project, which was creation of elibrary of book collection.

I had two experience. The first is the one I'm reviewing now. The second was terrible. I simply charged to my credit card. I received the item the company made. It exceeded my expectation as to quality and design.

I used a credit card. It's been charged on the date and no problems at all. Also it made it easy for me to bump up into a better tier when it became available. All communication and updates has been through Kickstarter and it's been easy. It's been great, no surprises.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

It's hard for a project to get off the ground if it doesn't have the "social media hype". You need lots of talk about your game since not many people check the Kickstarter websites often. Easy to navigate. The project's main goal or purpose is always at the top of the page, more information as you go down. Then you have your tier list on the right as well as what's usually with them. As for the main site, they have all the different projects into categories, making it easy to find something you are interested in.

Expert Review

Rose SpinelliCrowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.    More about Rose→

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.
  • Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.
  • Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.
  • Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.
  • Best for Kickstarter is the best fundraising platform for artists, designers and product-related businesses to get support for creative projects.

Compare Crowdfunding Sites