2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.93/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Kickstarter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

If I could, I would give it 0 Stars. Kickstarter is the biggest scam ever. It doesn't protect the people that put in the money, which is us, the backer. All they care about is getting more creators in to drive in more people to pay for stuff that's not even that great or to pay for nothing. Once the project is funded and kickstarter gives like maybe 60% of it to the creators to create the products, they don't care and they release all responsibilities. So BEWARE, if it's too good to be true, it's TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

For example, I backed the dashcam with a 360 camera (No one has done this before, so now it seems it's too good to be true) the Vezo 360 by Arvizon. They promised the world that they would ship by September 2019, yet delays after delays after delays and then COVID-19 was the excuse and now they aren't even replying or updating the project. With no product and no refund, this whole project looks exactly like a scam.

I would rant on in the comments and my last few comments were of me exposing the CEO of Arvizon, Vivek Soni was the CTO of another company called TwoEyesTech which also had a campaign for a VR camera which was also "delayed" many months! After posting that, Kickstarter deleted ALL my comments about those and took my commenting privileges away. Talk about protecting the scammers. After the projects I've backed so far, I will never back another project on Kickstarter again.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I've backed this project of HyperDisk on Kickstarter. The project has been delayed since December 2019, then they use the COVID 19 as excuse for their own faults. They had plenty of time to source the parts before the outbreak. The estimated delivery time was set on Feb 2020, which was before the global pandemic. Then I emailed both kickstarter and the project founder. Kickstarter claimed it's not their responsibility to monitor if the project was gone through as "promised." I requested refund from the project founder, after dozens of emails going back and forth, after two months, neither the disk or refund has been seen. Not mentioning they take a 25% cut from the original funds. What a shame! I have all the emails as proof. Am I going to use kickstarter again? That's a guaranteed NO. Be aware! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyperdisk/hyperdisk-probably-the-smallest-and-fastest-portable-ssd?ref=user_menu

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: May 31, 2020

Kickstarter is a scam. They do not independently verify that Creators on their platform actually exist or are real human beings. I've had a creator disappear with the project money, contacted Kickstarter help only to be told that I'm responsible for doing background checks on the Creators to make sure they are who they say they are. How is that the job of a backer when they are supposedly using a "secure" platform where every project is "reviewed by Kickstarter's Trust & Accountability team"? They offer no help, apart from a copy/paste script which is nothing but lies. I don't understand how they can set up a platform for people to scam others and then take a cut from the profits? They are benefiting from CRIMINAL ACTIVITY and should be jailed for doing so. Any other individual would face criminal proceedings if they were found to be doing the exact same thing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Kickstarter seems like the absolute most amazing idea ever. I am sure there are many projects that are legit, unfortunately you have no way of knowing. I backed a project around 3 years ago. It reached its goal but the deadline to receive your products (at your pledge level) had come and gone and 2 years later I logged in to see what was going on. People were commenting that they had been that had received the items and it was NOTHING like promised. It was essentially a scam.

I contacted the company for a refund and they said they had already allocated my money toward production. I spoke with someone at kickstarter and they said it's entirely out of their hands. Then the company actually said they would give me half the money back and I agreed. When I followed up months later they said they can't do that as per kickstarter policy and they could ship the items out to me.

The item is evidently not the item that was marketed - and people are receiving very poor quality items while this company pocketed a million dollars. But as long as kickstarter got their fee there is NO responsibility. Just keep in mind that you MAY lose the money you put into any kickstarter project, whether it's backed or not, because kickstarter has no protections for the consumer if it turns out to be a scam.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Kickstarter policy allows companies to collect money with no accountability or recourse! Also connected to Indiegogo, they are both advertising and collecting money for Reviv with complaints of backers who do not get their perks. So far they have collected over $1,438,605 USD by 8,067 backers according to Indiegogo on 1/11/20 and still going strong with promises to provide and yet many of us on Facebook are asking for customer service and our perk to no avail. There is no law enforcement help either. You can give money on a promise that no one polices. I purchased my blanket in November of 2018. This is legal theft and fraud.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Backed a project in 2014. Kickstarter has no accountability and does nothing to protect or help its backers. Been over 5 years waiting on the product I backed and left frustrated and angry along with over 20,000 other backers expressing their frustrations as well. That is a lot of people out of $$, no product to test, no reward to receive. I will never back Kickstarter again! I was backer # 29,854 out of 62,642 backers who in total pledged $13,285,226 to help bring this project to life. 13 million was given to build this product which has been in stock and on Amazon, on the company website and thousands of backers were scammed - never receiving their backed product. I don't believe I will ever receive it. Cost me $570 personally. Never again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We took a lot of time and energy creating our campaign draft. The draft was declined without specific reasons and we were given a generic, form email of 'reasons'. In response to their request for more information, we pointed out another campaign that had been approved that was very similar to ours. We received no feedback other than 'still declined'. Waste of energy and not worth the effort.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I purchased a DRYCERATOP - 100%Solar Dehydrator on July 7 2019. Paid $32.00. Subsequently received an email stating it would be mailed out in a few weeks. I Never received it. I sent two emails which were never answered. Please refund my $32.00 or send me the Dryceratop. I was purchasing the item - NOT backing it (unless purchasing is an indication of backing).

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I backed this program 3 years ago. Finally 2 years later got a broken machine. I sent it back promptly to the company as instructed. Now almost a year later still no machine as they can’t get the right part! So unprofessional - they have taken my money and now I am left empty handed. I feel Kickstarter is backing unprofessional so call campaigns. Do not buy a machine from this company. You won’t get one. And if you are lucky to get one - it won’t work. Just get a regular juicer and forget this expensive gimmick. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Throw money in the ocean instead. Kickstarter is a company that has built a website, takes a cut of sales, and nothing else. They will not help you get money back from fraudulent creators. Any legitimate company would have someone step in to help mistreated customers, but they won't. They already have their cut and Customer Service made it clear to me that taking my money is all they'll do. Never again.

Kickstarter author review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information