3.4/5 (51 ratings)

About Kickstarter

Kickstarter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: May 13, 2022

Think twice before you get in to bed with Kickstarter. When you back a project via Kickstarter you at NOT a customer to Kickstarter. Kickstarter will never treat you as a customer nor will they help you in any way when you get ripped off. Kickstarter will always have their customers interest first, and you are just Kickstarters product. I have reported these project scammers to Kickstarter so many times and Kickstarter just don´t care. They have already got their money from the project scammers.

This is my reply from Kickstarter from my last project I ever will back Kickstarter. “When a creator launches a project on Kickstarter, they’re inviting people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting that creator’s offer, and forming that contract. Kickstarter is not a part of this contract, it is a direct legal agreement between a creator and their backers. More information about this can be found in our Terms of Use.” Never trust a scammer and never trust anyone who just want to make money from you.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had two different accounts with them with two different cards. They charged the wrong card telling me that I couldn't change my payment option, which was a option given time and was changed before the Kickstarter ended because I was given that option to do so, but they still Charge the wrong card. The card that was deleted and changed. I cannot support any Kickstarter and will not recommend them to anyone I know or anyone looking at this review. Save your money and buy it later, don't back through Kickstarter.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2022

You may never see your investment! Historically, if an investment doesn't get off the ground, your investment is returned to you. However, many of us made an investment in a product that never came to fruition and never saw our money. Over two years after the Kickstarter campaign began, and over a year since the last communication, it's clear we were duped.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Kickstarter used to be a great platform before scammer projects came into existence. When you support a project with your credit card, make sure that you research into the company because I have invested over $1000 into three Kickstarter projects and they have not sent me any of the items that they have promised me. Many of us on Kickstarter are confused and needed direction because we continually reported the scammers to Kickstarter but they did nothing. I had e-mailed Kickstarter about these projects but they sadly did not respond. Thus, I did what I had to do after failed attempts of contacting the scammer companies: reported scam to my bank in hopes of getting refunded for being lied to.

When I had figured out a way to gain help (since Kickstarter and the scammers obviously didn't listen) I had seen so many people in the comments section asking, even begging, for refunds or where their scammed products are. As a result, I told them what to do. I told them to call their banks and file for a scam. In one particular scam project, Gamma, I replied to people in the comments section about how I had my tracking number, had called into the delivery agencies, and they responded that there were no products given to them to ship to me! My tracking number was given to me in November of 2021 and I had paid extra money despite having received nothing yet (out of trust in this Gamma company). So I informed people that they were scamming us. You have no idea how many people have waited months almost a year for their items and if they did receive their jackets, it was not graphene as promised.

Guess what Kickstarter did? Banned me for "abuse". Kickstarter banned me for abuse for helping those of us who have no one to turn to because Kickstarter wouldn't listen. They banned me from commenting for a week because they think that I was "spamming". If they had all that time to punish me, why didn't they listen to the majority of us asking for their help?

Even if this Gamma company delivers jackets, the KS guidelines clearly state that we are to receive the products as promised. In one of the posts, someone had brought the jacket to the lab and had it tested. It was not graphene at all. So even if Gamma delivers me the jacket, it's not as promised. Where is Kickstarter in all of this?

People are really losing faith in this company and I am too. Again, all I'm saying is, if you're going to invest in a project at Kickstarter, make sure that it's legit or money that you're willing to lose because these scammers will bring you along for the ride blaming the delays on the pandemic and making false promises. Taking us FOR GRANTED.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

There are many scam projects on Kickstarter. After taking your money they simply disappear. Kickstarter claims no responsibility and has zero customer service. Apparently Kickstarter has no recourse or any way to filter out these scams.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

After being patient through the supposed delays they blamed on pandemic, I just got an email saying they have to close down, out of money, so sorry. From the comments on Kickstarter site besides myself it seems many people aren't going to get what was promised. I backed two other projects; one is so far behind schedule I fear I will lose these monies too and while too soon to tell on the other they are also making noises about quality and shipping issues. Kickstarter is all about getting projects funded, and this is their source of income, they do not give a hoot if the product is delivered as promised. My advice, stay away.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

***DO NOT USE*** Very poor customer service. Do not waste your time with this. It's been hijacked by big business and you won't get zip. As a backer they have dodgy 'Non existent' customer protection if a company doesn't deliver as other sites do and if as a project creator you try to remove certain information as allowed 'by law' they won't let you. I made a formal request and was happy to allow them to retain the main points in the spirit of the thing (Or so I thought). They told me they'd removed what they thought they had too under the regulations (Didn't ask what I thought needed to go) and didn't change a darn thing. THEY LIED. It's all still there, every bit. Citing regulation that doesn't even apply to justify it. How pictures of my dog etc are required to prevent spamming and fraud I don't know...

I didn't mind them keeping the project details but after lying about removing it no chance. It goes in its entirety now or they'll have an official complaint lodged against them in days they can then explain it to the government. Other sites allow this and comply with 'the law' as they are required, they also don't charge a ridiculous percentage and offer backers proper protection which as a creator I'd have liked myself instead of them taking all the profits. ***DO NOT USE***

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Hi all. I think it's important for everyone here who is considering using Kickstarter as a platform to consider the moral implications of their "Terms of Use". Kickstarter assumes no responsibility when a vendor refuses to honor the transaction to a backer. I personally was screwed out of a LOT of money when my vendor just refused to send me what I backed. I talked with customer support and they basically said it wasn't their problem and directed me to their "Terms of Use", which states that Kickstarter holds NO responsibility to resolve any scams that happen as a result of their business model. It is, quite literally, a website set-up for scammers. Googled them and found endless testimonials from others who were in the same boat.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I have been scammed many times at this point as many product creators are simply scammers while Kickstarters claim that they do not guarantee product delivery and everything is at your own risk when you back a project but Kickstarter is making $$$$ in the money we paid to the creators. Kickstarter is a scam itself, I would avoid at all costs if you don't want to lose your money.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I blame myself for not doing research first. The policy of Kickstarter is to take no responsibility for any of the projects they promote. I wouldn’t have thought this type of website would be legal but apparently it is. Any scamster with a vaguely legitimate sounding project can get a platform to scam money through Kickstarter. The project I backed just disappeared and nothing to be done, no refund, no apology. Would never use again and wouldn’t recommend anyone uses it. Has taught me to be more careful of shopping online so I guess that’s something.

Kickstarter author review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Advisor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information