2.81/5

43 Kickstarter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2019

I have used Kickstarter a few times and there were delays but the teams kept the “investors” updated. The Sunrise Pillow team wanted $50K but got $700K then the updates started to dry up. They did same on Indigo. Same product. More engagement with the backers (they answered emails). They asked for $50K and got $800K. They kept the engagement going longer but in the end no sign of the creators.

Kickstarter washed their hands after changing their Terms of Conditions in October 2012. They were happy that they got more money 5% of $800K is better than 5% of $50K. What do they actually do for their money? They should take some responsibility for managing the flow of money and that the makers keep up with the updates; maybe they need to take more of a percentage and act as project managers?

There is no responsibility from either makers or Kickstarter. Mode | M took away $1.425M and Kickstarter took $75K instead of $5K - what did the backers get? Nothing, no explanation, no idea of what happened. Complain to Kickstarter and they don’t want anything to do with it, after all they had a great payout. Mode | M - will not respond and there are backers still expecting the pillow. I couldn’t leave a no star review.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The so called inventor tricked subscribers for 2.5 millions usd and gave a few emails saying because of the Android system upgraded to version 7 that they have to extend the project for 1 year more. After that simply gave us another email that the project is terminated without any explanation about how money spent and liability. The postage money was gone to their pocket as well. No matter how everyone involved complained to Kickstarter but they only excused that this is one of the possible unsuccessful cases. So if you want to support scammer, go Kickstarter. They will grab your last cent of money at the end.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I am very disappointed from Kickstarter in general because I bought a product after the Kickstarter campaign finished and paid through PayPal. 2 years later, I received my product, whilst the always in communication with the maker. So, I was very happy. I thought why not go through Kickstarter. What a mistake that was.

I first bought a 3D printer a MORPHEUS delta; Fine Quality Resin from Team Owl Works that was the end of 2016. The maker has no respect for the backers and has not delivered. Also, they keep on giving fake promises using the Kickstarter platform. Even though many asked for a refund they are not obliged to do so. I thought hey maybe this is just one bad apple, so I backed a project Game Boy Zero- Handheld Edition by Eugene Andruszczenko. I still have not received my reward and the maker has ignored all emails and messages. Even people that didn’t back his project got their product through Tindie but as a Kickstarter backer I got nothing.

So, I emailed Kickstarter as a customer to complain and they emailed me back apologizing and that they can not do anything about it basically telling me to ** OFF in a nice way. In conclusion if you like a product on Kickstarter don’t buy on Kickstarter. Just wait and buy it from a known seller and pay by PayPal on his website. Because KICKSTARTER DOES NOT PROTECT THEIR CUSTOMERS' RIGHTS. All they care about is getting their percentage of the funds, If I could vote -5 star I would.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Stay away from this outfit. Contributed to a project through Kickstarter, "The no mess French press", by Rite Development Lab out of West Hollywood Ca. The guy who owns this firm, Sargam, appears to be a scam artist as no one I've actually verified to have contributed to their "effort" has actually received one of the presses. Now this guy is demanding over 30 bucks to get on a fast track list of contributors and have the alleged French press shipped. Those who choose not to give this scam artist more of their money are shuffled to the back and can wait for their alleged press till Hades freezes over. This outfit and Rite Inc. should be looked over by the FTC, and those who this guy Sargam fleeced might consider lodging a complaint with the FTC.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have supported nine (9) projects on Kickstarter in the last three years. Of those nine, the latest three (3) have been fraudulent products. I supported all three of these campaigns within a few months without realizing that two years later I would still be without a product, communication from the product leaders nor any retribution from Kickstarter. Upon contacting Kickstarter in regards to each of these campaigns and the resulting lack of fulfillment, I have received not only zero monetary return, but a complete lack of professional and ethical response on behalf of Kickstarter.

The best they could produce was an email stating: "Our biggest expectation of creators, especially when a project is delayed, is that they communicate with backers through updates or messages. If that hasn’t happened, appeal to the creator. Encourage them to post more information. If you’ve already messaged a creator via Kickstarter and haven’t received a response, consider reaching out through other channels. This could be the creator’s own website or social media channels, where they may be more responsive."

Not only is Kickstarter avoiding taking action against a campaign that has evaded its backers, and can be proved in their lack of communication on the platform itself where all communication occurs, but they have taken money as fees from both the campaign creators and those who have backed the campaign. Kickstarter is making money whether it's customer base and supporters are happy or not and they are content with that. It is time for Kickstarter to step up and support those who are keeping their platform running. It would be nothing without projects being successfully funded by backers like you and I. However with three failed projects and no support from Kickstarter, I do not see this as a viable, ethical, nor professional company to continue to support. I for one will never support a project on Kickstarter knowing there are no standers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have backed a few projects on Kickstarter in the past without any issues. It does provide a platform for startup companies to collect money directly from consumers in exchange for a discount before the product is even produced or still in the developing stage. If I could give zero star to Kickstarter I would. I recently backed a project on Kickstarter where the project turned out to be a scam. The project creator disappeared with the money after the project was fully funded. Notified Kickstarter and their solution was to wait and "cheer" for the project creator because sometimes they might be overwhelmed with the project and forget to respond to backers' messages.

After several emails back and forth with Kickstarter customer support, now even Kickstarter has gone radio silent without responding to my emails for the last 2 weeks. Kickstarter will not do anything if the project fails to deliver or if the project is a scam. I will not use Kickstarter ever again because they really don't have a good vetting process on their projects and background of the creators. Once they collect their money after the project is fully funded, they just pushed the responsibility to the backers and project creator. Kickstarter is just a horrible company and offers no solution or refund if something goes wrong.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

After investing several hundred dollars in luggage on Kickstarter and being strung along for several years with 17 updates, the product manufacturer went silent and closed their email account. No product delivered, no explanation of product failure. Kickstarter made their money and offers zero recourse. I will never invest through Kickstarter again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've only backed one project on Kickstarter and will never do it again. The Amabrush campaign promised a working automatic toothbrush (that I still didn't receive) but are delivering a mouthpiece that does not clean teeth, so essentially it's a failed project. I want my money back as I only backed it based on the lies this company told. Kickstarter does not do anything if the company deceives the consumer so they should be held liable as well. Both Amabrush and Kickstarter should not be allowed to get away with this deception.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I pledged about 79$ USD and after 5 years, I still have not received my purchase or a refund from the creators or Kickstarter. Kickstarter is just a company that takes their cut and turns a blind eye. You are better off buying from Amazon or eBay with some sort of guarantee. Kickstarter used to be a place where innovation was funded but now, it's the wild wild west. You got better odds and have more fun throwing away your money at a casino.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Be warned, some campaigns on Kickstarter are bogus from the start. The "Sofi Lounger" for $149 was just a scam so the creator could take a trip to Hawaii. I lost my investment and Kickstarter offers no guarantees or refunds in these situations. Hard to believe? Consider yourself warned. After supporting many campaigns I will never do so again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've backed 9 projects with Kickstarter (including one from a friend who was publishing a book). Out of those 9, only 2 have not delivered (my friend's project was funded and delivered because he has integrity). When I repeatedly asked for a refund on the projects that were not fulfilled and highlighted the lack of delivery/updates by those two creators, Kickstarter just shrugged and declined to intervene. One project in particular - Mojoe Brewing took over $85k from 728 backers on Kickstarter and over $56k from 94 backers on Wefunder. When backers complained and asked for refunds, Mojoe refused and Kickstarter refused to get involved.

There are a lot of people that are upset with this experience, especially since backers were expecting to receive their product in May 2016 to be exact. Because of this experience, I will not back any more products from Kickstarter - which is a shame because there are a lot of fledgling entrepreneurs and people wishing to back new ideas. But because of Kickstarter's practices - I won't be helping these new inventors.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have supported three projects on Kickstarter over the last three years. Each one has been a failure, so watch out, as you have no way to recover your money. The first was a cell phone/credit card wallet. Went bust and never delivered. The second was the infamous Bluesmart connected luggage. Delivered months late and then the product was banned by the airlines. Total lack of foresight on their part. Finally, a Flowmotion camera gimbal. Again, months late and appalling product reviews from those unlucky enough to actually get theirs delivered. So, millions get raised, little gets delivered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Both 3D printed bases (round/fitting/hex grid) (Color: black) arrived broken in Aug 2018. I immediately contacted Backerkit asking for replacements or a refund. Backerkit told me twice that they would send my request over to Cinks Labs, the project creators. It has been three months and I have yet to hear anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I gave money in good faith for a product I will not receive. I will never donate to Kickstarter again. Been over 2 years and the founders have disappeared with everyone's money. The funny thing is that on the Kickstarter website it's still considered "a project we love" and you can still preorder it! What a joke. Steer clear of this site!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’ve backed 10 projects. Four have actually resulting in receiving what was invested in/purchased. LVL BSX it’s over $1M in funding and fifteen months late is the worst. No support from Kickstarter whatsoever. Waiting for the day I can last two projects fill or disappear so I can finally delete this app. No more Kickstarter for me. Better odds at a Casino and no customer support.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I backed LVL for $275 USD back in October 1st 2016. This was supposed to ship in July 2017 and never had. There hasn't been any updates since July 13th 2018. Contacted Kickstarter many times at the beginning and during this campaign because we finally found out that LVL was using "photorealistic renderings" throughout their whole campaign.

One of Kickstarter's rules for creators is "DO NOT USE PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERINGS" as they can be perceived as the actual finished project. In Kickstarter rules it says that if found using "photorealistic renderings" before or during the campaign, that Kickstarter will cancel the campaign. Kickstarter has never discussed this concern and keeps saying that this is not a store and when you cm a project it may or may not complete. I want my money back as they have raised almost 1.2 Million USD. Kickstarter is an accomplice with this scam of a campaign that raised so much money and cannot even come up with anything. I will NEVER use Kickstarter again and I advise all of you to be very vigilant!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I originally backed this project in Apr 15, 2017. They had estimated production and shipment to be around Fall 2017. Like so many other projects, that never happened. They started posting updates, roughly, every two weeks. Then it went down to about once a month. They keep pushing back the timetable and making excuses. Of course, once Kickstarter gets its money, there is no more support from them. No more support from me for projects on Kickstarter.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

So far I've backed three projects that have failed and none of those projects have I ever received any notice of what happened. On one of the projects I asked Kickstarter to return my money and was told I wasn't a backer, even though I had an email that thanked me for backing the project. Now I discover another project is failing and I discover Kickstarter doesn't have me listed as a backer for that project, yes I also have an email that thanks me for backing that project. I'm wondering how many people out there find themselves involved in one of these fail or scam projects and then find they are told by Kickstarter that they aren't a backer of the project? Seems like a convenient excuse to me.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I backed WiWu's OnePack for one reason only, WiWu is an established company with manufacturing and distribution experience, not two guys in a basement. Unfortunately after missing every deadline and breaking every business promise made thus far there have been very few backpacks delivered to backers, the situation has gone on for several months now. Complaints to Kickstarter have been largely ignored, they have gotten their cut and now are turning a deaf ear. This will be my last experience with Kickstarter as I have no confidence in their ability to operate a business with integrity. If ZERO stars was an option, that would be my rating.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Same as others. Have backed project which I've not only liked, but felt met a standard of mass appeal and interest, hoping smart backing would minimize FOUR backings which never made it. Twice, I've had to stop debits to CC, as only way to mitigate losses. Frustration and aggravation are prices you pay for failed attempts as well.

The four projects I back and failed serve as allegories for Kickstarter's still-growing pains as a crowdfunding platform, a still finding the ideal plan idea, in an unregulated world, in which anyone with any idea -- good or bad --can get paid to create it, largely without any vetting or approval process from the site itself. It forces the discussion of what Kickstarter owes to the people who use the service. The failures, offered up as a gambling dynamic, raises fundamental questions that go to the heart of what means to "crowdfund" in the first place, when there are no customers (just backers), no products (just projects - used to be no proto-types), no business owners (just creators), and that's it.

I cannot recommend anyone back anything just now. Kickstarter has put a new platform in place to help minimize failures and backer's losses. but my last backing (EOZ Air - World's Most Advanced True Wireless Earphones - 03-17) is still fine tuning for release. And not a word of update since March 2018. Unless you can afford to take hits, buy products on the market now, or buy the projects after completion for a bit more available formal retail.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I backed around 20 projects in a 1-2 year period in 2012-2013. Many projects got delayed shipping but one project that stands out is the AGENT Smartwatch, my biggest pledge of $199. The project ended with over $1m. Updates were quite regular and Chris (project owner) made it seem real until he stopped giving updates and replying to anyone.

The worst thing is that when Kickstarter gets their cut from the project, they stop caring and have no laws to prevent scammers. This guy enjoyed the hard-earned money of 5685 backers, and I did hear of other projects with a similar outcome. This happened exactly 5 years ago and hundreds of people messaged Kickstarter to no avail. If you value your money, please do not back on Kickstarter. Ever since this incident happened I stopped backing projects, and I backed this project at a time when I did not have much income but wanted to support the developer and receive a cool new watch.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I placed an order for the Temkho - The Hygienic Towel Infused With Charcoal on May/17 for total of EUR 121 and expected delivery for Nov/17. Haven't received the product and no response from the campaigner or Kickstarter support. You can still back this project despite all the comment in the page clearly showing that no one received it and that the creator just disappeared with the money.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hi I will not recommend to anybody this website. I am backer on about 10 projects and receive 2 so far. Some delayed for more of a year (scams?). We do not have any kind of protection and customer service do not care at all.

Updated on 10:03/2018: They should protect the backers, but they not. If you contact support they just answer you with generic answers, never to assist you properly. I ask myself how these guys get a deal with Amazon?? They do not give you any kind of protection. We ended up creating a Facebook group to complain. I will not longer use Kickstarter for any project. A shame as some of them are serious. But this website are really bad and the support provided are horrible without any kind of protection for backers or refunds. USE UNDER YOUR OWN RISK.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I pledged for a product 11 months ago. After several questionable delays and just as many lies from the project creator, communication was stopped and the product was never received. I filed 2 complaints with Kickstarter. They basically have no mechanism in place for protecting consumers from fraud and do not properly screen project creators or hold them accountable. They facilitate fraud with their lax terms and agreements and refuse any accountability for what happens on their platform.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I made a pledge for the Edible Cutlery campaign almost two years ago. After a lot of patience and a lot of excuses, the project has stalled completely. I NEVER received the items promised and when I asked Kickstarter to help me get a refund, they said they do not offer refunds on failed projects.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've backed several Kickstarter projects in the past. All were paid for in full over a year ago. Randomly I received a charge last month for $295.05 CAD on my credit card from them. I tried complaining but they only have an email and no phone contact. I've emailed them back and forth over a dozen times with no resolution and now they're not even responding to me. I asked multiple times for them to phone me as I want this issue resolved and they're taking their sweet time, but they've never phoned. I have taken this up with my credit card company and will be pursuing this as fraud. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR INFORMATION. They will steal your money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Have had so many complaints from backers on a unsuccessful campaign who did not get their money back months after the campaign closed. This is just a pain in the ass and pathetic on the part of customer service by Kickstarter. I would not recommend or use them again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

Was pretty easy to post to Facebook as there was a link button after I finished to make the post. I'm pretty sure I didn't need to add much. I think there was also a button for Twitter. Was very easy to set up an account. Then very easy to find the project which I wanted to fund. Funding the project was very easy only took a click of a button. I did not read the fine print so wasn't aware that there were any fees but a very small fee such as 2 or 3 percent would be reasonable. The website seems so simple to use that it probably wouldn't be necessary to deal with customer support very often.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Using this site with Facebook has helped me get even more donations than I normally would. With a simple click it was easy to integrate this website with social media. The ease of use and setup of this service was not difficult to use at all. I had absolutely no problems setting this service up and because of the quickness of this service I would recommend to others. There was little to no additional fees in using this service. What fees were added were simple maintenance of the software which was not a big deal to pay at all. The experience I had with customer support went overall well. They were extremely friendly and helpful with whatever questions I had had. I also did not get transferred over to another representative which was great.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

This site integrated sufficiently. I used two other social media sites to act as a medium and awareness to my cause that needed fund raising. I believe that these sites were very instrumental in aiding to lead people to the kickstarter site where they could the donate funds. Probably the best thing about Kickstarter is the ease of use. They were the first big site to organize people publicly to fund causes. It's for this reason they are most popular and it motivates them to streamline their site and keep it most up to date. It's my biggest reason for recommending this site.

When I decided to use Kickstarter I had never used a funding site before. I was naive and ignorant and Kickstarter was the only one I really knew about even though I did know there were other sites of its kind. After it was too late I did a little more research and found that Kickstarter charges one of the most if not highest fees not to the fundraiser but the funders themselves pay a very high rate, I believe 8% of the amount funded. This on other sites is as low as 1% so to pay 8x higher just for name recognition is a bit ridiculous. People are donating because they know you or believe in what you need funds for not the name of the site. If I could do it again I would go another route. I needed funding for a legit cause and don't feel the people who were generous enough to do this should be making these greedy people do much for what should be the opposite of greed.

Customer support was helpful. There have been other online entities I have used that were far far worse. Sometimes you wonder if there is a customer service dept at all. I had some people with payment issues that were resolved fairly quickly with their customer service. With the nature of a lot of these funding causes being time sensitive that is crucial.

Kickstarter expert review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

• Best for: Kickstarter is the best fundraising platform for artists, designers and product-related businesses to get support for creative projects.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information