2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.4/5 (128 ratings)

About Kickstarter

Kickstarter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

***DO NOT USE*** Very poor customer service. Do not waste your time with this. It's been hijacked by big business and you won't get zip. As a backer they have dodgy 'Non existent' customer protection if a company doesn't deliver as other sites do and if as a project creator you try to remove certain information as allowed 'by law' they won't let you. I made a formal request and was happy to allow them to retain the main points in the spirit of the thing (Or so I thought). They told me they'd removed what they thought they had too under the regulations (Didn't ask what I thought needed to go) and didn't change a darn thing. THEY LIED. It's all still there, every bit. Citing regulation that doesn't even apply to justify it. How pictures of my dog etc are required to prevent spamming and fraud I don't know...

I didn't mind them keeping the project details but after lying about removing it no chance. It goes in its entirety now or they'll have an official complaint lodged against them in days they can then explain it to the government. Other sites allow this and comply with 'the law' as they are required, they also don't charge a ridiculous percentage and offer backers proper protection which as a creator I'd have liked myself instead of them taking all the profits. ***DO NOT USE***

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Hi all. I think it's important for everyone here who is considering using Kickstarter as a platform to consider the moral implications of their "Terms of Use". Kickstarter assumes no responsibility when a vendor refuses to honor the transaction to a backer. I personally was screwed out of a LOT of money when my vendor just refused to send me what I backed. I talked with customer support and they basically said it wasn't their problem and directed me to their "Terms of Use", which states that Kickstarter holds NO responsibility to resolve any scams that happen as a result of their business model. It is, quite literally, a website set-up for scammers. Googled them and found endless testimonials from others who were in the same boat.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I have been scammed many times at this point as many product creators are simply scammers while Kickstarters claim that they do not guarantee product delivery and everything is at your own risk when you back a project but Kickstarter is making $$$$ in the money we paid to the creators. Kickstarter is a scam itself, I would avoid at all costs if you don't want to lose your money.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I blame myself for not doing research first. The policy of Kickstarter is to take no responsibility for any of the projects they promote. I wouldn’t have thought this type of website would be legal but apparently it is. Any scamster with a vaguely legitimate sounding project can get a platform to scam money through Kickstarter. The project I backed just disappeared and nothing to be done, no refund, no apology. Would never use again and wouldn’t recommend anyone uses it. Has taught me to be more careful of shopping online so I guess that’s something.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I placed my bid back in January for a tarot deck she created and it's been one excuse after another. She has now pushed out the shipment until sometime in September. It's called Doodle Tarot. First it was her 'printing company' then she was injured and now we're back to the printing company. I would have already found another printing company! She's a total rip off. Doesn't respond to any emails or text on the site except when someone wants to throw more money to her. Total rip off!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I, along with 1,500 other backers believe that the X-TRA battery campaign was a cash grab scam. Messages have been sent both privately and directly to the project creators...and nothing has been received in return. No updates, not a peep on the discussion wall...nada. Additionally, articles from original influencers are speaking out against this specific campaign--something I've never seen with Kickstarter campaigns until this one.

I have been backing projects on Kickstarter for years with generally positive (even if delayed) experiences, but if a project didn't work out, my money was returned. That said, I've learned through this experience that there is NO accountability by Kickstarter for campaigns that turn out to be fraudulent. Until this experience, I would have recommended Kickstarter to people, but I will not be backing ANY Kickstarter moving forward or recommend that others give their hard earned money on a project that very well could have no accountability.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Probably most people use the money they get from backers for something legit but those who do not are free to just walk away with the money. Kickstarter is nothing but a web based money exchange and they clearly have no moral backbone nor interest in keeping it honest and legal. People do, like the project I back by Diana Jones who wanted money to record an album, end up spending the money on something else and then me the backer have no recourse to get my money back.

I gave her $250 which was a lot and then she stopped sending out progress reports after covid and just sent out an email saying she was "so thankful" for the money she got because it allowed her to survive (ie she spent it on living expenses) but she did not finish the project and was asking people to donate more money privately for the album.

I did not agree to foot her living expenses and I emailed kickstarter 4x about this and no reply, shameful and a disgrace. I also emailed Diana Jone (are you there?) 4x at various different addresses and no reply. Listen Diana, I have cancer, I got it after I donated. I lost my job, I lost my house, I owe money for medical bills and I can't afford now to pay your rent when I am homeless. Are you there? Bottom line like all the "gig economy" money making schemes there's people making millions off this Kickstarter thing but they have no moral sense and could care less if people get burned. As others have said they get their cut then run to the bank. Shame on you.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I've backed around 50 projects over the years. At the start, creators using Kickstarter were fairly honest -- typically delivering what was promised, though not always by the estimated dates. That's completely understandable since many creators did not have manufacturing or logistics expertise. I was happy to help some name brands build their businesses, such as Peak Design, Moment, and Fellow. Sadly, Kickstarter has turned into the preferred platform for scam artists and fraud over recent years. I've backed some current projects that have taken in several million dollars in funds -- only for the creators to disappear with the money and left backers empty handed.

Kickstarter does absolutely nothing to screen these unscrupulous individuals (who often provide fake identities). Most important, there is often little recourse for backers, since Kickstarter also does everything possible to challenge any credit card disputes, even when clear fraud was evident. For these reasons, I'm not backing any further projects. That's the shame of this whole situation: it penalizes small business that rely on crowdfunding to get their unique ideas off the ground.

Original review: March 6, 2021

WOW! Because of these scam artists I have had the most stressful 6 months of my life no lie. I backed the project and I still have emails that said these items are Christmas gifts and they guaranteed delivery before Christmas. Well to make long story short they made about more date promises. Finally I got fed up and did a chargeback with Mastercard. They refunded me but it was far from over. When their shady bank was contacted they said I violated a condition where I had to apply for refund in first week. LIE! Read their FAQ section on their website and it says you can get refunded up until day of shipping! So now they are commiting fraud.

They have been telling me I will get a refund since Jan 5th. It's March 6th. They are blaming Covid shipping restrictions. There are no restrictions. I have been getting orders from China, USA, UK, Germany all on time. I believe they have no money and are stringing people along. Also if I pay Mastercard why can't I get refunded the same way? They first tried asking for our banking info which nobody should give and now it's Paypal. Please listen to me! NEVER USE KICKSTARTER. It's not worth the risk!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Kickstarter used to be a great place to discover innovation and new ideas worth supporting. Now, it is overrun by scammers presenting an invention, collecting vast amounts of money, then never delivering, or delivering something far inferior to what was promised. Kickstarter does not support backers where issues arise. You will get no help. Simply avoid the platform and choose your products carefully from local suppliers or reputable international merchants. This review is based on the last two Kickstarter projects I have backed. They will be the last.

Kickstarter author review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information