2.50/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

32 Kickstarter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have supported three projects on Kickstarter over the last three years. Each one has been a failure, so watch out, as you have no way to recover your money. The first was a cell phone/credit card wallet. Went bust and never delivered. The second was the infamous Bluesmart connected luggage. Delivered months late and then the product was banned by the airlines. Total lack of foresight on their part. Finally, a Flowmotion camera gimbal. Again, months late and appalling product reviews from those unlucky enough to actually get theirs delivered. So, millions get raised, little gets delivered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Both 3D printed bases (round/fitting/hex grid) (Color: black) arrived broken in Aug 2018. I immediately contacted Backerkit asking for replacements or a refund. Backerkit told me twice that they would send my request over to Cinks Labs, the project creators. It has been three months and I have yet to hear anything from them.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I gave money in good faith for a product I will not receive. I will never donate to Kickstarter again. Been over 2 years and the founders have disappeared with everyone's money. The funny thing is that on the Kickstarter website it's still considered "a project we love" and you can still preorder it! What a joke. Steer clear of this site!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’ve backed 10 projects. Four have actually resulting in receiving what was invested in/purchased. LVL BSX it’s over $1M in funding and fifteen months late is the worst. No support from Kickstarter whatsoever. Waiting for the day I can last two projects fill or disappear so I can finally delete this app. No more Kickstarter for me. Better odds at a Casino and no customer support.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I backed LVL for $275 USD back in October 1st 2016. This was supposed to ship in July 2017 and never had. There hasn't been any updates since July 13th 2018. Contacted Kickstarter many times at the beginning and during this campaign because we finally found out that LVL was using "photorealistic renderings" throughout their whole campaign.

One of Kickstarter's rules for creators is "DO NOT USE PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERINGS" as they can be perceived as the actual finished project. In Kickstarter rules it says that if found using "photorealistic renderings" before or during the campaign, that Kickstarter will cancel the campaign. Kickstarter has never discussed this concern and keeps saying that this is not a store and when you cm a project it may or may not complete. I want my money back as they have raised almost 1.2 Million USD. Kickstarter is an accomplice with this scam of a campaign that raised so much money and cannot even come up with anything. I will NEVER use Kickstarter again and I advise all of you to be very vigilant!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kickstarter ?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I originally backed this project in Apr 15, 2017. They had estimated production and shipment to be around Fall 2017. Like so many other projects, that never happened. They started posting updates, roughly, every two weeks. Then it went down to about once a month. They keep pushing back the timetable and making excuses. Of course, once Kickstarter gets its money, there is no more support from them. No more support from me for projects on Kickstarter.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

So far I've backed three projects that have failed and none of those projects have I ever received any notice of what happened. On one of the projects I asked Kickstarter to return my money and was told I wasn't a backer, even though I had an email that thanked me for backing the project. Now I discover another project is failing and I discover Kickstarter doesn't have me listed as a backer for that project, yes I also have an email that thanks me for backing that project. I'm wondering how many people out there find themselves involved in one of these fail or scam projects and then find they are told by Kickstarter that they aren't a backer of the project? Seems like a convenient excuse to me.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I backed WiWu's OnePack for one reason only, WiWu is an established company with manufacturing and distribution experience, not two guys in a basement. Unfortunately after missing every deadline and breaking every business promise made thus far there have been very few backpacks delivered to backers, the situation has gone on for several months now. Complaints to Kickstarter have been largely ignored, they have gotten their cut and now are turning a deaf ear. This will be my last experience with Kickstarter as I have no confidence in their ability to operate a business with integrity. If ZERO stars was an option, that would be my rating.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Same as others. Have backed project which I've not only liked, but felt met a standard of mass appeal and interest, hoping smart backing would minimize FOUR backings which never made it. Twice, I've had to stop debits to CC, as only way to mitigate losses. Frustration and aggravation are prices you pay for failed attempts as well.

The four projects I back and failed serve as allegories for Kickstarter's still-growing pains as a crowdfunding platform, a still finding the ideal plan idea, in an unregulated world, in which anyone with any idea -- good or bad --can get paid to create it, largely without any vetting or approval process from the site itself. It forces the discussion of what Kickstarter owes to the people who use the service. The failures, offered up as a gambling dynamic, raises fundamental questions that go to the heart of what means to "crowdfund" in the first place, when there are no customers (just backers), no products (just projects - used to be no proto-types), no business owners (just creators), and that's it.

I cannot recommend anyone back anything just now. Kickstarter has put a new platform in place to help minimize failures and backer's losses. but my last backing (EOZ Air - World's Most Advanced True Wireless Earphones - 03-17) is still fine tuning for release. And not a word of update since March 2018. Unless you can afford to take hits, buy products on the market now, or buy the projects after completion for a bit more available formal retail.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I backed around 20 projects in a 1-2 year period in 2012-2013. Many projects got delayed shipping but one project that stands out is the AGENT Smartwatch, my biggest pledge of $199. The project ended with over $1m. Updates were quite regular and Chris (project owner) made it seem real until he stopped giving updates and replying to anyone.

The worst thing is that when Kickstarter gets their cut from the project, they stop caring and have no laws to prevent scammers. This guy enjoyed the hard-earned money of 5685 backers, and I did hear of other projects with a similar outcome. This happened exactly 5 years ago and hundreds of people messaged Kickstarter to no avail. If you value your money, please do not back on Kickstarter. Ever since this incident happened I stopped backing projects, and I backed this project at a time when I did not have much income but wanted to support the developer and receive a cool new watch.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I placed an order for the Temkho - The Hygienic Towel Infused With Charcoal on May/17 for total of EUR 121 and expected delivery for Nov/17. Haven't received the product and no response from the campaigner or Kickstarter support. You can still back this project despite all the comment in the page clearly showing that no one received it and that the creator just disappeared with the money.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hi I will not recommend to anybody this website. I am backer on about 10 projects and receive 2 so far. Some delayed for more of a year (scams?). We do not have any kind of protection and customer service do not care at all.

Updated on 10:03/2018: They should protect the backers, but they not. If you contact support they just answer you with generic answers, never to assist you properly. I ask myself how these guys get a deal with Amazon?? They do not give you any kind of protection. We ended up creating a Facebook group to complain. I will not longer use Kickstarter for any project. A shame as some of them are serious. But this website are really bad and the support provided are horrible without any kind of protection for backers or refunds. USE UNDER YOUR OWN RISK.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I pledged for a product 11 months ago. After several questionable delays and just as many lies from the project creator, communication was stopped and the product was never received. I filed 2 complaints with Kickstarter. They basically have no mechanism in place for protecting consumers from fraud and do not properly screen project creators or hold them accountable. They facilitate fraud with their lax terms and agreements and refuse any accountability for what happens on their platform.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I made a pledge for the Edible Cutlery campaign almost two years ago. After a lot of patience and a lot of excuses, the project has stalled completely. I NEVER received the items promised and when I asked Kickstarter to help me get a refund, they said they do not offer refunds on failed projects.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've backed several Kickstarter projects in the past. All were paid for in full over a year ago. Randomly I received a charge last month for $295.05 CAD on my credit card from them. I tried complaining but they only have an email and no phone contact. I've emailed them back and forth over a dozen times with no resolution and now they're not even responding to me. I asked multiple times for them to phone me as I want this issue resolved and they're taking their sweet time, but they've never phoned. I have taken this up with my credit card company and will be pursuing this as fraud. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR INFORMATION. They will steal your money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Have had so many complaints from backers on a unsuccessful campaign who did not get their money back months after the campaign closed. This is just a pain in the ass and pathetic on the part of customer service by Kickstarter. I would not recommend or use them again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

Was pretty easy to post to Facebook as there was a link button after I finished to make the post. I'm pretty sure I didn't need to add much. I think there was also a button for Twitter. Was very easy to set up an account. Then very easy to find the project which I wanted to fund. Funding the project was very easy only took a click of a button. I did not read the fine print so wasn't aware that there were any fees but a very small fee such as 2 or 3 percent would be reasonable. The website seems so simple to use that it probably wouldn't be necessary to deal with customer support very often.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Using this site with Facebook has helped me get even more donations than I normally would. With a simple click it was easy to integrate this website with social media. The ease of use and setup of this service was not difficult to use at all. I had absolutely no problems setting this service up and because of the quickness of this service I would recommend to others. There was little to no additional fees in using this service. What fees were added were simple maintenance of the software which was not a big deal to pay at all. The experience I had with customer support went overall well. They were extremely friendly and helpful with whatever questions I had had. I also did not get transferred over to another representative which was great.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

This site integrated sufficiently. I used two other social media sites to act as a medium and awareness to my cause that needed fund raising. I believe that these sites were very instrumental in aiding to lead people to the kickstarter site where they could the donate funds. Probably the best thing about Kickstarter is the ease of use. They were the first big site to organize people publicly to fund causes. It's for this reason they are most popular and it motivates them to streamline their site and keep it most up to date. It's my biggest reason for recommending this site.

When I decided to use Kickstarter I had never used a funding site before. I was naive and ignorant and Kickstarter was the only one I really knew about even though I did know there were other sites of its kind. After it was too late I did a little more research and found that Kickstarter charges one of the most if not highest fees not to the fundraiser but the funders themselves pay a very high rate, I believe 8% of the amount funded. This on other sites is as low as 1% so to pay 8x higher just for name recognition is a bit ridiculous. People are donating because they know you or believe in what you need funds for not the name of the site. If I could do it again I would go another route. I needed funding for a legit cause and don't feel the people who were generous enough to do this should be making these greedy people do much for what should be the opposite of greed.

Customer support was helpful. There have been other online entities I have used that were far far worse. Sometimes you wonder if there is a customer service dept at all. I had some people with payment issues that were resolved fairly quickly with their customer service. With the nature of a lot of these funding causes being time sensitive that is crucial.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Has a smooth transition to share on social media and other sites. If you want to share to Facebook, click the Facebook logo. Want to share to Twitter, click the Twitter logo. From signing up to completion of what you are working on everything you need is laid out in front of you so you don't have to search for anything. Fees are reasonably cheap compared to other crowd-funded sites. Payment processing is not a hassle with a lot of payment options to choose from. If you have a question or concern about anything, customer service is there at all times to help. Whether it's a payment issue or something else, they are fast and reliable.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

I used Kickstarter years ago... way before Instagram was as huge as it is now. Facebook was around, but I think if I used it today w/ Snapchat & Vine, etc... it would be a much different experience. If you know computers & have a simple knowledge of technology you will get through Kickstarter with such ease. It is pretty user-friendly for most ages. I am satisfied with the Kickstarter fees. When raising money for a film project you wish it was all free, but I understand that can not be the case. Overall I was fine with the amount. We did not need to utilize customer support during the Kickstarter project, but I imagine it would have been fine and with ease if we did.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I found some items to find using social media. It allowed me to find something I would not normally search for. My most recent backing was for a Guys of Cosplay Calendar that a friend is going to be in. You can easily see how much money they will need to attempt to complete this project as well as the amount needed to collect certain items from the company/group. They need to make money somehow I guess. It's a little disappointing there isn't a website that allows people to come together for free and exchange things. I am only giving this a 3 because I have never dealt with their customer service. Any projects that were cancelled I received my money back and never had an issue.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Their integration with all social media platforms is flawless. I found it easy to navigate and share my campaign with all my social media accounts. I would definitely recommend to others. Starting a campaign is simple. You show what your project is, give it a description, add a video and post. It doesn't get much easier than that. It is rather expensive for smaller campaigns. But I guess every business needs to make money. I've never actually used customer support. The process was seamless, so there was no point in contacting them. Kickstarter is highly recommended.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Facebook and Twitter especially are useful to promote Kickstarter projects. Easy to share links of the projects I want to support... Projects of friends/friends' family members and classmates from HS and College. Seems very easy to set up. Enough guidelines to follow to fully set up project funding. Need to follow guidelines and suggestions for a successful campaign. Fees are reasonable as comparable to other crowd funding sites. Need to make sure to read fine print so you are fully aware of what the fees are and how related to amounts collected. Truth be told I have not had much need for customer experience. I imagine that the customer service is helpful as the overall site is very active.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

There doesn't seem to be any recourse for defective/missing products once you've donated. Click - pick which $$ funding you want and pay. Easy peasy. I've had mainly good results with Kickstarter - some took longer than initially thought but still came. However, there is 1 that a defective product was received and I've communicated for about 2 years with them. Last I hear I think they are filing bankruptcy or selling.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

It's linked to my amazon.com account. All I have to do is select the donation I want and it's automatically charged to my Amazon account. Donating on Kickstarter is incredibly easy. You can easily and quickly donate to all the projects if you so chose to. The only challenge lays with the project founders/creators themselves. Not all projects come to fruition and many are rife with problems or setbacks. I've been fortunate, in that most have come to market and when they haven't; my funds returned.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Good information, straightforward, good follow-ups every month or so.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Everything went smoothly. No hitches or delays. Click, enter into, done. Good way to promote project, which was creation of elibrary of book collection.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I had two experience. The first is the one I'm reviewing now. The second was terrible. I simply charged to my credit card. I received the item the company made. It exceeded my expectation as to quality and design.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I used a credit card. It's been charged on the date and no problems at all. Also it made it easy for me to bump up into a better tier when it became available. All communication and updates has been through Kickstarter and it's been easy. It's been great, no surprises.

Kickstarter expert review by Rose Spinelli

Since its inception in Brooklyn in 2009, Kickstarter has helped campaign owners raise nearly $2 billion to fund over 92,000 projects. It's a haven for creative projects across diverse categories such as dance, food, music and games, as well as a variety of subcategories, and has quality name recognition. Originally only for those living in the USA, Kickstarter continues to expand globally. In 2015 Kickstarter became a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that they are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not shareholders.

• All or nothing: The "all or nothing" philosophy at Kickstarter encourages donations and minimizes donor risks. Nearly half of Kickstarter projects get funded.

• Fees: Kickstarter takes 5 percent of each donation if a project meets its goal, with a third-party processor collecting between 3 to 5 percent. Kickstarter does not charge fees when a campaign fails to meet its goal.

• Name recognition: Backers who want to fund creative projects tend to gravitate to Kickstarter, and campaign owners benefit from that built-in audience. Entrepreneurs, and increasingly some businesses, can also use Kickstarter to fund a wide variety of creative projects.

• Project visibility: Through curation, Kickstarter chooses to bring attention to those projects that are getting backer and media attention through the use of staff picks and weekly newsletters.

• Best for: Kickstarter is the best fundraising platform for artists, designers and product-related businesses to get support for creative projects.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Kickstarter Company Information