2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.4/5 (243 ratings)

About Indiegogo

Indiegogo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: May 25, 2021

I ordered an adjustable desk in December. Now it is May and none of the 3,000+ backers have received the product. Indiegogo has washed their hands of it and told all customers "tough luck". This is incredibly suspicious. DON'T FALL FOR THE SCAM. DON'T SUPPORT THE FRAUD.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have been trying to get a refund from these thieves for the last month due to no signs of ever receiving my masks I ordered since Dec 2020. Now they call me a backer to their fraud of a business and can't refund my $200, and expect me to just wait until they feel like paying me. I feel robbed and can't wait to get done with their games. Don't buy from these fools, they are not legit and someone should look into this apparent company stealing money from people and getting away with it. They claim they have 4 million in funds and can't return $200, how is that not fishy. If they would have sent the masks since March like they said they were, maybe I would be ok, but no masks and no money.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I backed the electric desk. Updates were coming and they sent a photo of completed product and said it was gonna ship. Then heard nothing and go look at the campaign finding an update with Indiegogo saying that they tried contacting the owner with no response. Oh well, nothing they could do! Wiping their hands clean! That update mind you, did not come through to me through my email like all the others did, so they are trying to not notify people on purpose!! Don’t buy anything with indiegogo. They are a bunch of scammers!!

Original review: April 14, 2021

My wife and I backed a campaign for an electronic ear cleaning device by BeBird / Wenhan Zhang. We didn't realise that BeBird / Wenhan Zhang had already completed a campaign for a similar device, which would have been our first warning... Needless to say, we never received our purchased product, nor did plenty of other backers of that same campaign. BeBird / Wenhan Zhang then proceeded to begin another campaign for an almost identical device.

I contacted Indiegogo about this, and they acknowledged that BeBird / Wenhan Zhang were making campaigns and not fulfilling them, but that Indiegogo would do nothing about this. As per the other reviews on this site, this is not peculiar to this campaign, but instead Indiegogo make their business on allowing fraudulent campaigns and not protecting their clients. I struggle to think of another company who more deserves to be shut down.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I ordered a backpack that was supposed to be 100% guaranteed. However in small print that's only for a few days. By the time it clears your bank the guarantee is expired. I lost $285 to a fraudulent seller. Indiegogo was quick to say to the guarantee was not happening.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Updated on 04/21/2021: This is an UPDATE to my original review: I received the masks... and they are unwearable. Terrible design, too heavy, and won't stay sealed on your face. Ill-fitting, the fan motor is loud, and you can't speak intelligibly in it. The maker, UM Systems, claims to have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee but if you are foolish enough to accept it, it basically says "no refunds" - so, another lie.

Original Review: I contributed to the "UVMask: All-Day, UV-C Air Purification Face Mask" Indiegogo campaign in August 2020, and again in November 2020 for accessories. I know, I know - I feel so stupid just typing that. I have received nothing, and to add insult to injury, I have received dishonest emails from their alleged customer support team. When I pushed for a refund, just to put me off they went so far as to generate a USPS tracking number for my alleged delivery... There is no delivery, just a generated tracking number that is not in the USPS system. Indiegogo and the so-called kickstarted companies and campaigns it funds are fraudulent. I will report these past transactions to my credit card company so they can warn other clients, and I will post these reviews wherever I can.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I paid ~$180 (USD) in July 2020 for two clear masks with a HEPA filter and UV light inside. The maker, Leaf Healthcare, occasionally sent emails over the last 8 months about how the product shipment was right around the corner. I believed them and let Indiegogo's refund deadline pass. If you haven't received a product by just before the refund deadline, get the refund while you still can. Don't believe maker explanations about problems and "progress" that push the shipping date passed IndieGoGo's refund deadline. It's too risky.

Leaf Healthcare instead of shipping the product kept trying to sell tons of accessories through emails containing long lists of chaotic insanely disorganized overlapping options. With each passing month and email update, it seemed more like a scam. Their most recent email notice was that they've started shipping but only to some countries other than the US and Canada, even though Leaf Healthcare resides in the US or Canada. They claimed they started shipping to India, Russia, China, Egypt, Libya, Tanzania, Yemen and South Africa. Such shipping claims are practically unverifiable. I wouldn't be surprised if Leaf Healthcare created bogus donor accounts based in those countries so they can manipulate the responses or they just listed 3rd-world countries in the email even though there aren't donors there.

Also, early after donating, the maker asked all donors to resubmit their shipping and product info through a Google Docs Form even though we donors already gave all that info through IndieGoGo. Like everything on the internet that starts with good intentions and effects, scammers and scoundrels eventually infiltrate and wreck it, making a formerly trustworthy site untrustworthy. That's the case with IndieGoGo, which I liked 6 years ago when I last used them. IndieGoGo still refuses to refund my money. If my credit card company refuses to reverse the charge, I may take IndieGoGo or Leaf Healthcare to small claims court once the pandemic resides, maybe in the Fall.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I contributed to an electric bike campaign in 2019 and the product was promised to ship by January of 2020. Nothing came in January and shortly after the pandemic began, the owners provided updates saying that production has been delayed indefinitely. The last update was 5 months ago in October 2020 and there has been no tangible update on the product. In fact, there is no evidence of product at all. The campaign owners used the virus as an opportunity to take the money and run. $2k down the drain.

What is even worse is that INDIEGOGO has defended these crooks. First off, it is in Indiegogo's TOS that campaign owners must provide updates at least once a month on their campaigns. As reminder, my campaign hasn't seen an update in OVER 5 MONTHS. Additionally, I filed a complaint with my credit card company and the dispute has been challenged because my payment was a contribution to a fundraiser and not a transaction for a product. Indiegogo does nothing to protect the backers of campaigns on their website. I've also gotten in touch with other backers for this campaign and Indiegogo filed a rebuttal to their banks to prevent their disputes from processing.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I've backed three campaigns through Indiegogo. The first one was a cracker (Flare Audio - still use them now). The next two - absolute shambles. Overpriced, poorly made products. The problem is that Indiegogo hold no responsibility for the actions of the developers that use the platform - their only suggestion is "take legal action", which isn't really gonna happen over less than £50. They finish their message off with "Whenever a campaign fails to meet backer expectations, we share in the disappointment of the community. However, we will continue to focus on building better tools and sharing best practices to foster open communication and transparency." In other words, they're going to do absolutely nothing - stay clear!!!

Original review: March 1, 2021

Horrible Horrible customer service! No answer after several times of email! No phone numbers to contact. I ordered mask since July 2020 through Radcliff Health Care but until now nothing came. Scammers for real!

Indiegogo Company Information