1.24/5
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

50 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 2, 2018

We as a family saved up 1000.00 to get this bicycle for our kids that would make it safe to take them around. It was funded and now it’s been a year and no bike. They took our money and our trust. My kids are disappointed. I’m embarrassed for losing all the money. Now we have to file a court lawsuit? What kind of company is allowed this? Take some responsibility Indiegogo and fight for your customers. We need that money back. We worked hard for it, unlike you and your campaign scammers. Never again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Over the years I've invested in about 16 projects on Indiegogo. Of that 6 have never materialized, and turned out to be by serial scammers. Indiegogo didn't ever seem to care about this. They ignore every mail sent to them by me and thousands of other frustrated contributors. Of the remaining items, 6 of them were essentially cheap rubbish, not worth the contribution. The other 5 were decent products, a couple of which were very good. By comparison, of 21 items I've contributed to on Kickstarter, all have arrived, and been mostly excellent. Indiegogo is happy to take their cut, but really don't care if you ever get the item, or if it's any good. Pretty sad really. I shall not be using them again.

Indiegogo 50 Reviews (with Ratings) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 22, 2018

RIP OFF SCAM! I waited a year and a half for the product I paid a lot of money for that I to this day have not received 2 years later! THEY DO NOT REFUND OR make the people refund you if they do not ship out the product. Trust me and don’t fall for this site. They are scammers. I reached out to support multiple times and the campaign backer! They are nothing but thieves! Don’t use!

Original review: June 7, 2018

There is zero security as far as where your money actually goes! Sonic Soak stated production was already complete when it was never started. You get zero help from INDIEGOGO when you're supposed to have received your item in December 2017, & now it's mid June 2018, & they have no concrete answers for anything! Just one big run-around! INDIEGOGO claims that it's not their problem if we pay for something & never receive it. This entire circus is one big scam! I'm deleting anything associated with INDIEGOGO! I just wish I would've known what a complete joke & scam this was from the beginning! How it's legal to allow this company to even operate online to the public is baffling! What does it take, & how much money needs to get stolen from innocent people before something is done, & they are shut down??

Original review: June 5, 2018

I had a campaign on Indiegogo and they told me they disbursed to my bank. Well days later, no money. So I called my bank and they have no record whatsoever of Indiegogo contacting them. Indiegogo claims that I input my bank numbers wrong - which I did not. My bank has 2 routing numbers, either one works. Then they said when they get the money back from the bank, I'll be able to resubmit my info!!! And then it takes an additional 9 days! Huh??? How can my bank return funds that they never received? Indiegogo is a freakin' scam and I will do everything I can to let others know how horrible they are. I should have known better than to do business with a company that has no phone support. No corporate working number. No business doing business with anyone. Do not do business with this scam organization. They are B.S..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: June 5, 2018

I backed a campaign for a SmartDuvet on IndieGoGo and paid $233 on 10/15/2017. They now are not answering my emails and have me listed as never having donated. They have moved to InDemand. Please be aware of this company and what they do to their backers. Beyond disappointed. I would be very wary of making any donations on IndieGoGo in general. Buyer Beware!

Original review: June 2, 2018

One of the campaigns I became part of and purchased their perk was a scam. Campaigner no longer answers emails or queries for almost a year. No perk purchased was ever received. Indiegogo support refuses to help and tells me to contact campaigner who they KNOW won't answer. I keep getting boilerplate responses from support.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This website is open to scam projects. They are not able to protect you from sending your money to scam campaign owners. I donated a project and never received the item. Indiegogo was only able to send me an email to campaign owner. They will not even try to get your money back. Since you pay directly to Indiegogo as "donation for project" and then they send the money to scam campaign owners, you are not even able to get your money back with chargeback. Just go for more solid site. This is scam paradise.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Aircon Watch - I ordered this watch in December 2017, it is now April 2018. I did not get the watch or a letter back to when it will be shipped. I am starting to think this is a scam. I will wait a little longer for a letter from Indiegogo.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Indiegogo Pebby Pack - This site is a scam! I've messaged them several times about the status of my order or a refund with the insane delay. I've have never received a response in 7 months. Lost $200, probably will never see what I ordered... They should have a lawsuit filed against this ** scam company!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Really not user friendly. Really not accountable service. Impossible to delete an account once it's open. A lot of technical issues with pictures. Don't pick INDIEGOGO if you're looking for funding for a film... just go anywhere else.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I lost over 500 USD in 2 campaigns I backed. The creators simply disappeared with all the money and Indiegogo was only able to send them an email to remind them of their responsibilities. They don't care at all about the customers and even with several people complaining about the scams you can still buy both products on the website. Had same issue with a similar site. Stay away from these startup supporter companies, wait for the product to be in Amazon.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I recently had a problem getting my items from backed projects because their third party provider BackerKit would simply reject my email address. I have a very vanilla, no special filters email address I've used for decades and I get email from everyone except for BackerKit. I used to get the email from BackerKit, but for some reason it stopped. As a backer of projects I do not have any relationship with BackerKit other than they verify my mailing address and provide help getting the items to the backers on the creators behalf. So to solve my problem I contacted the creators of the projects (first) and Indiegogo (second) and Indiegogo told me it's my responsibility to contact their third party provider BackerKit, even though my relationship with them is that I type my email address on a link provided by the creator and they send me a questionnaire.

The problem is the questionnaire email would get dropped and it was never received by me and without completing that, the item will never be delivered. One creator sent me a PDF file showing that BackerKit had sent and dropped my email 18 times over six months, yet the creator, Indiegogo or BackerKit were aware or did nothing to resolve it. Even after I contacted the creator I tried to get another email and even gave the creator an alternate email address which both failed. Because I have backed multiple projects I am not always aware of the approximate delivery dates of each project, so the first indication I wasn't getting my emails from BackerKit was when a creator sent out an email saying they hoped everyone is enjoying their new item and I had not received one. So after I had contacted the creator, I contacted Indiegogo for help to resolve this problem and they said I need to contact BackerKit.

I give money to Indiegogo, they take a cut and give the rest to the creator, yet provide no support or responsibility to get the item to the backers. If there are hoops to be jumped through, don't expect the creators or Indiegogo to do much of anything, but then they already have your money. It's like a fraudulent process where the people getting money are good at taking the money, but won't lift a finger if you can't or don't get the item from the project you backed. I simply asked for all my funds to backed projects not completed or sent to me to be returned and it is where I stand as of now. I would not suggest sending them money because you may or may not get the item from the project you backed and if there's a problem, expect to fix it yourself. I gave them two stars because I did receive some items previously without a problem, but the first problem I had with them was just an utter failure on their part.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I am deeply disappointed in Indiegogo, and how they are unwilling to pressure the corrupt people from -DiiFA- who they have campaigned for. Don't they feel any responsibility? The product (wireless ear buds) were expected to be delivered in November. Now 4 months I have exactly nothing. Indiegogo is not available for complaints regarding the delivery of my order. They just forward my complaint to DiiFA. And DiiFA is just making up stories. Nothing happens. Money gone? One can still view the campaign. It gets me to think that Indiegogo approves of such fraudulent campaigns!? And the crazy thing is, people are still contributing. Is Indiegogo not warning them? In the meantime another campaign has started where one can acquire wireless earbuds. Please be careful before gambling with your money.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

A year after purchasing I still don’t have anything. I supported campaign that promised a perk. In Jan 2017 I paid £ 105 I have still not had anything. Numerous emails and contact but nothing! My emailed get marked as solved on their happiness site but I never get a response - utterly disgusting customer service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Purchased a Sinclair Vega + on the site from Retro Computers on 20th February 2016!!! No item received, company won't respond to refund or simple requests for information, Indiegogo won't reply to my contacts either. Seems they don't validate who they allow on there and don't care about the end customer, very poor.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Buying items on Indiegogo is like gambling blindly. I bought an item "Travis", the product was defective and I got in touch with the seller but no reply as I write. Indiegogo doesn’t verify the sellers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Biggest regret when I thought I get an e-bike for my husband's birthday. They kept delaying the delivery date when flashing their trips all around the world, giving all sorts of excuses. If you value your money, keep it with you. DO NOT SUPPORT ANY CAMPAIGNS on Indiegogo.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

They are selling products that they did not even test. Small piece of advice guys, do not use, do not submit your campaign, do not contribute, don't buy anything on there. Most of the products could happen to be scam as it happened to more than 6,000 people on the Muzo project.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I sent 3 complaints to Indiegogo, following instructions and I never even got an e-mail! Alpha - The World's Smallest 4K Action Camera is a YEAR late, does not have the product yet, does not have a shipping date, keeps posting ridiculous updates just to calm people's nerves. Every month, the update moves the production and shipping date, they have some lame photos that don't show anything... And here is the kicker: THEY WILL NOT REFUND OUR MONEY! Not to mention, they keep deleting backers who tell people not to back them and not to back Indiegogo campaigns. Indiegogo has completely ignored their backers and show total lack of accountability. I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Don't get hooked into thinking you're ordering a product from this site. I never received my 'perk' (ie the product that I ordered) and Indiegogo doesn't care. That's not their problem they said. They just provide a platform for companies to receive your money. WonderCube shows that it has made $430,000 thus far, yet if you go to their Facebook page you'll see many complaints from people who never received the product. And Indiegogo continues to allow them to advertise and take money from trusting consumers. Presumably, Indiegogo is making money so look out for yourself because these two companies appear to be doing just that.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I would give Indiegogo a minus 10 if I could. My experience is from a campaigner’s perspective. To begin with, we receive absolutely no help from Indiegogo on our campaign. This was a new experience for us and we had no idea what we needed to do to make a good campaign successful. Our campaign failed miserably. It made $1200 and ended in November. I had a rep from Indiegogo assigned to help us, which he never did and even refused to respond back when the campaign didn't do well. The funds we did raise weren't enough to do anything with so I requested Indiegogo to give back the money. No response. I went ahead and paid back our contributors with my own money because I am still waiting to get the funds from Indiegogo. I can't get anyone to respond to my emails or phone calls. Their customer service is very selective who they respond to.

These crowdfunding platforms are presented as a perfect way for new business like ours who has bootstrapped our project and need that opportunity to get to market. That is bogus and a scam. Actually, I lost about $10k on this campaign, that doesn't include the money I refunded to our contributors. As far as I am concerned they are smooth talkers and know exactly what they need to say to get us to fall into the trap of thinking this is a great way to launch a product. I would caution anyone looking at this kind of opportunity to do your homework and maybe try a different approach to launch your product.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Indiegogo is a SCAM! Don't waste your money. I have contributed to four of these "crowdfunded" products. Two of them delivered real products, but the other two have gone silent. I purchased a solar cell 14 months ago and it has yet to be delivered. Every 3-4 weeks there is another excuse. Stay away from EVERYTHING on this site. Took me over $200 to learn. Learn from the mistake of others.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I GOT SCAMMED AND INDIEGOGO DID NOTHING. Yup! $595 later, my product never came. I wrote to the campaigner 4 times, heard nothing back. Wrote to Indiegogo 3 times. Their answer was "We can't make any guarantees as to the behavior of the campaigner, your best bet is to contact them directly." Then they closed my claim as "solved." That's INSANE. You can't provide a platform for people to get scammed, that CANNOT be legal!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Very disappointed by Indiegogo's really mediocre customer support and underwhelming platform. Their "happiness team" (hah) didn't answer three of our questions and took more than 24 hours, if that, for the rest to be answered. We're a nonprofit and chose Indiegogo because it seemed to have bells and whistles that other platforms might not. But you only discover after setting up the campaign that it really does not. We got no support from Indiegogo for placement of our campaign. Why did they put our environmental org in New York - which has absolutely nothing to do with us? Not only that we ended up paying 5% in platform fees plus the 3% (plus .30 cents) for each Stripe transaction. In short we really really wish we'd chosen almost any other platform. Go somewhere other than Indiegogo for your crowdfunding needs.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

On 6/1/2015, I paid $79 toward the Thingecharger Campaign. I never received my items. Each time that I wrote to Indiegogo, I received an update, promising that the order would be fulfilled. Now, I find out that the company that I funded has gone out of business and I have no recourse with my credit card company. Indiegogo was stated that Thingecharger contacted supporters to offer refunds. Of course, I never got any email. Avoid these thieves like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

They are absolutely scam, I make a product that get more than half million dollars and after 2 years we don't have nothing yet, the project is MagicStick, there are not support from Indiegogo at all, they allowed anyone with nothing open a campaign there and take the money of the people with no guarantee at all, Indiegogo is a nest of thieves and Indiegogo only take their commission and nothing else, I personally send email to them regarding to the campaign I make and I never get any answer at all. Never ever I will back there anymore and never recommend it to nobody, is a totally scam.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

There are no consumer/backer protections on the funds they contribute. There are many campaigns that offer products and services for well over $1000, though most cannot be backed up in anyway as the product or service does not yet exist. In other words, anyone that created a campaign can collect all the contributions and give up on their campaign and close it - all while being unreachable in entirely different country. One campaign I contributed to has a history of delaying their promised product and has collected over US $1.8 million.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Unfortunately Indiegogo take absolutely no responsibility or support in ensuring that their campaigner's perform. I have E-mailed Indiegogo and all they say is it is not their problem please take it up with the Jelly campaign. So all they do is take my money and a cut for themselves and do aggressive marketing of campaigns with no comeback. Their campaigners make constant outlandish promises of delivery. "Look at this picture. It is in our factory and about to leave," etc. Or, "Holdup because we made this great improvement." Only response from campaigner is to send me a reference to Singapore post which tracks as far as US and that is it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Having contributed to 10 Indiegogo campaigns and being burnt on 3 of them, at a loss of nearly $500 USD, I can firmly state that I will never again be making any payments to any crowdfunded items until they are available from mainstream retail outlets. Why pay 50% upfront now, for potentially 0% of a product, when you can later pay 100% for 100% of an actual product that also gives you all the consumer rights you are use to should something go wrong. According to my last backed campaign (Thin Ice Weight Loss Vest, Adam Paulin), it appears that funding via Indiegogo is deemed as a 'donation' to the concept of the product ('perk') being offered. Not a purchase at a discounted rate for an item in development. Keep this statement in mind on ANY campaign you consider giving your money to as you are simply giving away your money for the promise of nothing in return. Nothing. Or at best, perhaps not at all what you ordered (bait and switch).

Moreover, if you do back a campaign and you find they fail to deliver within 6 months (check with your credit card company for time limits) then immediately chase it up with your card provider as they should be able to provide you with a refund. Any delay on this and you risk losing your payment, as I have found 3 times now on all aforementioned campaigns. Indiegogo will not protect your interests. Indiegogo will not provide you with any refunds, partial or otherwise. Indiegogo will not force the campaign owner to provide you with any refunds or similar. Avoid.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information