2.59/5

125 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I've been wary of Indiegogo in the past due to the nature of their business – they make no guarantees about sellers delivering products and are relatively clear about that on their site. However, back in June, I saw an ad for a set of headphones (Pamu Slides) that promised to replace my now two-year-old AirPods. I researched the company and previous campaigns (they looked legit) and most importantly, I confirmed that Indiegogo would return my contribution BEFORE THE CAMPAIGN ENDED, as was explained in their FAQs.

Naturally, that didn't happen. The seller switched my order to "Fulfillment," which apparently invalidates Indiegogo's policy to provide refunds. I contacted the seller (Padmate) asking to refund my order. They insisted that I wait to receive the headphones and test them out. Fast forward six weeks ("fulfillment" was a bit of a stretch), and I did receive the headphones, but they were functionally problematic. Padmate is now doing everything in their power to not provide a refund and Indiegogo basically told me I was out of luck – the customer service team is absolute garbage. I mean, lesson learned, obviously. I will NEVER purchase anything on Indiegogo again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I started a campaign with Indiegogo. Had a horrible time uploading photos and videos. When I tried to reach out to them they wouldn't respond.... by email only.... for four or five days. When I launched the campaign links that they provided wouldn't work. Again tried to contact them and let them know and were very slow to respond. When they did it was just cut and paste items from their website. I deleted my campaign after 12 days as I was getting a crazy amount of emails from friends and family saying links weren't working then were working. SOOO Frustrating. I spent nearly a month preparing everything including a video which I spent $2000 to make. Horrible company! Horrible!

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Simply put, what began as a good idea is now a way for dishonest individuals to create a product, take your money, then vanish with no intention of delivering on their promises. Not only has their app been pulled from the App Store but they don’t respond and do not care if you lose your money. If I could give less than one star I would.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

There is no way you can get your money back if you don't receive anything after you placed an order on Indiegogo. If you complain they refer to the product owner, but the product owner just does not reply. Indiegogo will always say it is not their problem. The result is that the Indiegogo site is full of scams.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Don't try to raise funds or donate on Indiegogo for anything. Indiegogo is a fraud website for fundraising to help entrepreneurs. If you are having a good business idea, then they try to steal it by hacking your campaign page and also they misdirect funds to offshore accounts. They don't reply to your complaints. This website is full of frauds. If you donate also instead of raising funds, then also they don't deliver or take the responsibility of delivering the perks of campaign, that you may earn by donation. Don't waste your time, money and efforts on this website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: July 26, 2019

I had purchased Beam Router through Indiegogo in January 2019, with delivery to be done in the same month. Nothing came. Understanding there can be delay, I waited. Contacted Indiegogo & Passel (Beam) several times, Passel there was NO response. Not even once after sending reminders, while Indiegogo puts their hands off and asked me to contact Passel (Beam developer). The surprising fact is that Indiegogo even after receiving numerous complaints, never stopped selling the product till June-July 2019, for their own gains. They knew from February - March 2019 that Passel (Beam) were not delivering and should have discontinued immediately, but continued selling for their own gains.

I don't believe we will get a refund, Indiegogo gave me an email address to contact Passel directly, but the emails returned undelivered, stating that the email address does not exist. I informed Indiegogo that the emails are being returned, they sent me an email of apology, and continued selling the Beam product. Very unreliable, untrustworthy.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have participated in a few projects. One, Somiflash, was a scam and took off with the money. Indiegogo does not communicate with its customers. We are left in the dark. They should at least step in and keep us informed that the company has failed to deliver. The others either were not as described or simply didn't work well. All were behind schedule. This includes DreamOn sleep watch.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I did back the MicroPC for $368. Funds were sent April and shipping was promised May 2019. The campaign owner delayed everything with fake promise of shipping all perks on July 12. As expected, it was a sham. I'm sure there are a lot of backers who did not receive their perks. They are intentionally blocking comments in their thread. Unfortunately, Indiegogo was of no help. Their mention about trust and consumer safety is a sham. Even though there are clear proof that the campaign is doing bad practice (not shipping products, selling to retail without completing project), Indiegogo is not doing any effort at all to penalize.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I was excited to backup a product I had much interest in which were the NS Glasses for the Nintendo Switch. I was an early backer. After a few months of waiting and not receiving any updates I finally had enough and messaged Indiegogo and the NS people but never received a reply on any of my attempts. They even had the audacity to send me a survey which I obviously filled out but even then you figured based of negative survey they would try to contact me. Terrible customer service on both companies, well actually there is no customer service... Terrible these companies are awful and to this day I am out $65 bucks which by the way my wife spent on these as a gift for me. Sucks that I have nobody to reach out for help on this matter and I have been robbed of our money. Terrible. Stay away from this company.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Indiegogo has known scams that it does not address in any way and still allows to take money. Take for example this scam, look at the comment section and read that every backer on a 100,000 dollar campaign was scammed and multiple reports have been made, yet Indiegogo does not even mark the campaign as potentially fraudulent. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ns-glasses-first-3d-headset-for-nintendo-switch#/comments) This is not the only campaign where this is an issue but a prime example of their negligence, in spite of dozens of known reports that this campaign is a scam and hundreds of comments echoing the sentiment, the campaign continues to take money. I will never use Indiegogo again.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information