2.16/5
  • 1 star
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

25 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

On 6/1/2015, I paid $79 toward the Thingecharger Campaign. I never received my items. Each time that I wrote to Indiegogo, I received an update, promising that the order would be fulfilled. Now, I find out that the company that I funded has gone out of business and I have no recourse with my credit card company. Indiegogo was stated that Thingecharger contacted supporters to offer refunds. Of course, I never got any email. Avoid these thieves like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

They are absolutely scam, I make a product that get more than half million dollars and after 2 years we don't have nothing yet, the project is MagicStick, there are not support from Indiegogo at all, they allowed anyone with nothing open a campaign there and take the money of the people with no guarantee at all, Indiegogo is a nest of thieves and Indiegogo only take their commission and nothing else, I personally send email to them regarding to the campaign I make and I never get any answer at all. Never ever I will back there anymore and never recommend it to nobody, is a totally scam.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

There are no consumer/backer protections on the funds they contribute. There are many campaigns that offer products and services for well over $1000, though most cannot be backed up in anyway as the product or service does not yet exist. In other words, anyone that created a campaign can collect all the contributions and give up on their campaign and close it - all while being unreachable in entirely different country. One campaign I contributed to has a history of delaying their promised product and has collected over US $1.8 million.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Unfortunately Indiegogo take absolutely no responsibility or support in ensuring that their campaigner's perform. I have E-mailed Indiegogo and all they say is it is not their problem please take it up with the Jelly campaign. So all they do is take my money and a cut for themselves and do aggressive marketing of campaigns with no comeback. Their campaigners make constant outlandish promises of delivery. "Look at this picture. It is in our factory and about to leave," etc. Or, "Holdup because we made this great improvement." Only response from campaigner is to send me a reference to Singapore post which tracks as far as US and that is it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Having contributed to 10 Indiegogo campaigns and being burnt on 3 of them, at a loss of nearly $500 USD, I can firmly state that I will never again be making any payments to any crowdfunded items until they are available from mainstream retail outlets. Why pay 50% upfront now, for potentially 0% of a product, when you can later pay 100% for 100% of an actual product that also gives you all the consumer rights you are use to should something go wrong. According to my last backed campaign (Thin Ice Weight Loss Vest, Adam Paulin), it appears that funding via Indiegogo is deemed as a 'donation' to the concept of the product ('perk') being offered. Not a purchase at a discounted rate for an item in development. Keep this statement in mind on ANY campaign you consider giving your money to as you are simply giving away your money for the promise of nothing in return. Nothing. Or at best, perhaps not at all what you ordered (bait and switch).

Moreover, if you do back a campaign and you find they fail to deliver within 6 months (check with your credit card company for time limits) then immediately chase it up with your card provider as they should be able to provide you with a refund. Any delay on this and you risk losing your payment, as I have found 3 times now on all aforementioned campaigns. Indiegogo will not protect your interests. Indiegogo will not provide you with any refunds, partial or otherwise. Indiegogo will not force the campaign owner to provide you with any refunds or similar. Avoid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have paid and sponsored many items on Indiegogo and I have lost over $1,000.00. I am highly suspicious of fraudulent activity and don't know how or what is the best way to continue my enquiries. I have done what Indiegogo told me to do. I emailed to the Campaigners over a dozen times each and NO REPLY! I am so exhausted with Indiegogo and they have left me penniless! I see below that there is an Order number. I have too many order numbers!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

After my one and ONLY experience with Indiegogo, I can tell you they are just a middleman web hosting site with no liability in the shady companies they host. Beware that the company hawking the product and Indiegogo have built in loop holes to avoid refunds and Paypal and your banking institution has a 6 month window to file a dispute when you don't get the product. I will NEVER use Indiegogo again and will discourage anyone I can influence.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I spent $100 on this site on a product that was supposed to ship in January 2017. It is now August 2017 and the product still has not shipped. I keep checking in and they keep telling me they are waiting on approval which I understand but now 7 months later I do not want this product anymore and asked to cancel my order. I was told by the campaigner that Indiegogo does not require refunds but she can suddenly ship the product out now. Why can she suddenly ship this product out now that I want a refund? Why if I cancel my order do I not get a refund? I feel like this site is a scam if you can't get a refund on a cancelled order. I will never use this site again.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I am starting to really wonder about this organization... Is Indiegogo fundraiser is some kind of scam? I began with a regular Indiegogo fundraiser a few years ago, in appr a month's time their customer serv rep switched it over to Generosity.com... I was just starting to raise money when all of a sudden my campaign disappears from their website. I have addressed this by email several times and was told the same answer each time, that the campaign hasn't been shared enough - I've shared it on my FB fan page that has 5000 people on it - I guess that's not enough people to see it? HOW ARE PEOPLE TO DONATE IF THE CAMPAIGN DOES NOT SHOW ON THEIR WEBSITE - that to me constitutes great misrepresentation.

Indiegogo has their fundraisers sign an agreement to initiate the fundraising but don't allow it to be even seen on their website?! They can sashay their algorithms to a court room if they want investigated. Not to mention several times updating pics that never show as updated, yet they take the time to provide a condescending reply that they indeed updated the photo. When a customer has to be concerned that a Fundraiser site that can't even reply appropriately or confirm an update properly then it's time this company got looked into.

Original review: June 26, 2017

"What is Indiegogo's responsibility after funding is made? Is there any liability of Indiegogo to ensure the backers get the products on-time which money was collected? Or are you just benefiting financially and leave the fulfillment of obligations between the "backer" and the "campaigner"?" Indiegogo was quick to take my money but continues to push me to the campaigner to answer questions. I feel frauded.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I contributed to two campaigns: Air Case and Smart Cube. Air Case promised shipment in December 2012 and Smart Cube in December 2016. I received NOTHING. I put in a request for a refund with both Air Case and Indiegogo in February and Indiegogo sent an "auto" message to the campaign asking for a refund on my behalf with NO response. I put a second request in with Indiegogo issuing the exact same "auto" request. The Smart Cube was requested in October and promised delivery in January with, again, NO product - I have great doubts. I'm unimpressed with the process and the funded organizations. Use Kickstarter - this is a good organization. Skip Indiegogo - I'll keep working on getting my refund.

Original review: April 24, 2017

"Back Palanka International Piano Festival, Created for my husband Mauricy **", I created, launched, shared, made and received donations, provided bank account info, all of which I receive confirmation emails. However, when I login to the site, "My Campaign" says ZERO and cannot find a campaign or have access to any DRAFTS. Actually I was only able to complete my campaign from an email link as I was unable to find the drafts via my login. The CUSTOMER SERVICE via EMAIL takes more than a day, and responds with the wrong solution. I have been trying to solve this problem for THREE DAYS. It could be a simple technical issue OR WORSE, THERE MAYBE A SCAM. I really do not want to request our donators to cancel their donations.

Resolution response: March 29, 2017

Finally received refund after 23 frustrating days. I believe CINCH pop-up-tents is a great product, however their refund policy is very sketchy, and Indiegogo is impossible to reach unless you're giving them your money. Yelp reviews were all one star ratings. I wish one could buy a CINCH tent from a reputable company.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I'd like to give it a MINUS 5 star if I could! I purchased a Cinch 2 man tent through INDIEGOGO, as I could not purchase from anyone else. Placed the order Feb. 27 and cancelled Feb. 28, because of family emergency. I cancelled with both Cinch and Indiegogo. A refund should only take 4 or 5 days, right? The website for Indiegogo is very hard to navigate. I spent days trying to assure my cancellation with no success. It keeps coming back to the same help page over and over getting me nowhere. Ben at Cinch has been very helpful, but the refund must come from Indiegogo I guess, and that seems to be the problem. I've been told numerous times I would receive the refund. The last email said the money would be in my account by the end of the day... that was three days ago!

It's now March 20, no answer and no refund! It's too bad because I believe Cinch to be a remarkable product and if I ever get my refund back, in the future I would like to get one, but through Indiegogo??? $295.00 might not be a lot to most, but I am retired and have very limited income. There shouldn't be this kind of a problem anyway!!! Just now, writing a review on yelp I have discovered all the terrible reviews they have from people who also did not get their money back. Time for yelp, Facebook, this site and Better Business Bureau I guess!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

When you contribute to an Indiegogo campaign, you are paying for an idea and more importantly a perk but if you don't receive your perk you have absolutely NO RECOURSE!!! Indiegogo will tell you they've given your money to the campaign and that campaign will keep telling you they shipped your perk over three months ago and since you didn't pay them you can't dispute the charge with your bank.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I made a contribution to purchase the Aido Next Generation Robot back in February 23, 2016. During that time, I was promised that I would get the product in October of 2016 but they have since pushed back the date of delivery to February of 2017. This was supposed to be a Christmas gift and now I have no need for it and requested my money back. They declined the request and said that the campaign had already transferred the funds over to Ingen Dynamics Inc, the creators of this product. I was told their agreement with this company was to make sure there was open communication from the business so the consumer was aware of what was going on. So I contact Ingen Dynamics Inc, and they told me to check back with them in November.

I waited months to hear that they "probably" are not able to refund me. That's the response I got from them. I've since sent numerous emails to the company about a refund and I have not heard a word since. I reached out to IndieGoGo again, and they just told me they will contact Ingen Dynamics Inc on my behalf and ask them to get in contact with me. Nothing. I have not heard anything since my initial email about a refund due to the delivery date being extended several months after October as I was promised. If they aren't responding to my inquiries now, what confidence do I have that they will assist me in the support of the product when they decide it's ready to be delivered? I paid almost $1000 in total for the Aido and early super pack in February and almost a year later, I still don't have the product and I can't get anyone from the company to respond to my inquiries.

This is very unprofessional and I feel like they literally stole my money. I'm still without a product or support, or communication of any sort from this company and IndieGoGo who says they stand by the companies they represent by keeping in contact with its customers has failed through with their expectations and I think they should be held responsible for the refund regardless if the funds have been dispersed or not. I understand there are delays in production but not even being in contact with simple questions makes me very uneasy on a purchase of almost $1000. I am unable to do a chargeback on my credit card because it's past the cut off so I had no other choice but to file a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

So I have not had a good experience with Indiegogo. Since 2012 I have not received 4 of the items I have supported. What is also unnerving is that I have not received updates about 3 of the 4. I actually had forgotten about what I had purchased until I got an 'update' today (October 2016) for a campaign that was pretty recent actually - May 2016. But the email only said expected delivery date - July 2016 with nothing about that it is way past that date!

If people are going to ask you for your money and you are excited about their product and believing, in good faith, that they will deliver, then these campaign people need to have the decency to send updates about their product, even if it is to say it is delayed - yada yada yada - or give the money back... I have read other reviews on other sites where Indiegogo takes so much money from the campaigners also so maybe this is a whole giant sloppy scam... But on the plus side, I did receive two other products fairly quickly - they delivered and the other one I have been getting updated on frequently so at least you know they are still out there working on their stuff... So not happy overall with Indiegogo and people who are not able to keep in contact with their supporters.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

It helped push the project beyond its goal and spread the word about it to people interested in it. Overall it was very beneficial to the project. It was easy to find and the goals were very clear giving plenty of info. I had no issues on the website finding what I needed. Overall it worked fine. Fees seemed pretty reasonable given the project and didn't seem too expensive compared to other sites that do projects like this. It was solid overall.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

It adds to the networking and support you can get to help fund anything you are trying to get patrons for. I never have a problem accessing facebook and twitter followers and getting the support for my project. It is very easy to use. I never have any issues since I have started using this service. It is the best. Indiegogo is the best site there is to use. There are some fees to pay but nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is to be expected. I never have any problem or issues with paying the fees. Customer Support always is there. They allow me to be better. I never have problem contacting them when needed for an issue.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

The sites have a great link that can be posted online to Facebook or websites. I used the site to support a web series I enjoyed watching. This site was very easy to use, click on the payment button and leads you through all important information to make your donation and the site was easy to navigate using search functions. I do not enjoy paying fees for a website. I would prefer all money to go to my cause but I do understand the issue of site itself needs funding. It is a vehicle we use for widespread access across the internet. I have not needed to use their customer service. I have never need to contact anyone since the site was working as well as I expected. Haven't looked at customer service section to see if it is easy to find.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

It can be influential to the audience. Great way to reach the market that the product may appeal to. The best way to gather data on the demographic. Very easy to use. Payments were very easy to use. The product description is very easy to understand what one wishes to invest in. I would recommend this to my peers. The fees are reasonable because one has the options of choosing how much one wishes to put up. One can pledge whatever amount one wishes to pledge. Along with updates on the products progress. Customer services is decent, Ive never had a problem with such issues. I enjoy this because I want to invest into the future. The great ideas of the future might need help.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

It's nice because you're able to share on Social media the actual page for what is being crowdfunded and it will include a brief description of what it is as well, as opposed to a goofy title which may not always influence somebody to check it out. It's very easy to use because with just like the click of two buttons you crowdfunded the certain package you wanted and know exactly what you got. On crowdfunding sites there's generally never a hidden fee, and this follows that rule as well which is nice. You just have to read descriptions of packages carefully to make sure they don't charge you like a flight cost if you are flying out somewhere to meet people. I've personally never had any problems so I've never had to contact customer support, but I'm sure they'd be able to help you with any problems you encounter.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

It was fairly simple to get everything started and set up using the IndieGogo website. Many friends were able to easily share a link which showed our promotional video directly on their facebook pages. This set up was incredibly helpful in spreading the word and ultimately lead us to achieving our desired results. The website is incredibly self-explanatory and user-friendly. If you do not understand how to write descriptions or rewards for the campaign that you or your organization are promoting, you have probably not spent very much time on a computer or on the internet in general.

I do wish of course that the fees were a bit lower, but then again that may be the case regardless of what the website's actual fees are. Obviously it is better to keep the full amount of crowd-funded money raised. That being said I also fully understand that IndieGogo is a business in and of itself so it is a vehicle for them to make a profit also. I did not have any issues with my website or with putting the campaign together, but the contact information was readily available had I needed any access to it. Thankfully everything went off quite smoothly with no problems.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Usually, I really don't know about integration. Indiegogo doesn't use that on there because they usually use their money to put funds in for fan projects and some stuff. Its ease of use was by the ones who start the campaign, but they really just want the money for spending on some stuff or I do not know. Some of the perks onto the campaigns are pretty much expensive, but they have a lower price on there. People usually save their money for that kind of stuff. The users for some of the campaigns on Indiegogo usually contacts one of the founders of the campaigns about whether a problems occurs.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Initially it is difficult to find customer contact information. Then when you find it, there is no response. If persistent and you try various contact methods, i.e. FB, email, phone calls you might get a response. A response like "sorry, not sorry". A shrug "we can't do anything to help". I have supported 5 upstarts on Indiegogo. Two of them I received my product within a reasonable time frame (3 months). One was cancelled a year later and I was given a refund. Currently I have two that have not come through. One is 3 years old without a project status update in nearly a year. The other one is more than 18 months since I donated. Rarely receive updates and the ones we have received tell us they are shipping. This has been going on for more than 6 months. Indiegogo won't respond to inquiries or just says it is out of their hands.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I think it would be helpful to let others know what is really important and why you need crowd funding. Twitter and Facebook can really let others know what is so important about your efforts and can get you funded faster than without. It can really make the difference between meeting and exceeding your overall goals. Very easy to set up and it can really pay off in the long run. I like the ease of usage and how you see just how much has been raised over any amount of time. When you need funding quickly and effortlessly, it is best to use crowdfunding to achieve your goals.

The fees take place if the amount of funding goes higher than a certain $. It is stated up front, so there are no surprises. It's still okay if there is a fee and you achieve your goal b/c at least your project or effort got approved and funded. It's the price of doing business. Great customer support and very kind as well. They understand you are trying to achieve a funding goal and are a good partner. Everything seems simple and the people seem to care if you achieve that goal on their site. A good overall experience.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information