2.42/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Indiegogo

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Indiegogo Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

This site seems to be a huge fraud and will take your money. I contributed to a perk and soon after the company went under review and was suspended. I tried to reach out to Indiegogo which has no phone number nor the campaigner. You are stuck waiting for emails that never answer your question or care to give you your money back. Trust me this is not worth the risk. Hundreds of people have lost money and given the runaround for their refund. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I purchased a scooter from Segway Ninebot through Indiegogo. They promised it would be delivered by the end of July. As of today (Nov13), they still haven't ship it. I contact Indiegogo, Ninebot, and file a claim to my bank, and here are their responses: Indiegogo: "Indiegogo is not able to guarantee that perks will be delivered or deemed satisfactory. Backing a campaign and claiming a perk on Indiegogo is not the same as buying something online. And the campaigner may not be able to offer their backers the perks they'd originally promised. If you’re interested in receiving a refund, we recommend you get in touch with the campaigner directly." Ninebot never respond. Bank: "The claim was denied, and the provisional credit was reversed." Now I can assume this is legal fraud.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

In May of 2018, I contributed to the "Powerful Pocket-Sized PC" at a cost of $179 USD then soon after added an upgrade for additional RAM at a cost of $30 USD Totalling about $275 CAD. The PC was to be completed in September, then delayed to November, then delayed to a delivery for December 2018. However, the product never arrived, nor did I get a notification of any kind regarding the delivery or another delay. My attempt to contact the Campaigner fell of deaf ears.

I contacted Indiegogo's customer support and they suggested I contact the campaigner again which I did however, no response. I asked Indiegogo to intervene but they pointed me to their terms of reference where they detailed amongst other things, a legal (arbitration) process that would require $250 from me to initiate. Needless to say, I wasn't about to fork out more money. Indiegogo has to GO GO! This is an umbrella organisation that protects scammers in my opinion. BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

The advertising makes it look so good, Pamu Slide earbuds. They probably sell a few good well made items at first, get great reviews. Then, when the mass production comes in, garbage. My $100 Bluetooth earphones worked all of 2 minutes. The box for the earbuds, which is a battery for up to 3 charges, died without any use after 4 days. I've been arguing with the company (in China) and all they want to do is send me a new item. I don't want a new item, all the reviews (now) are bad. Everybody (90%) of the customers are complaining that there is a problem. I tried contacting Indiegogo, no way you can speak or even write to them. They wash their hands of you, they let you deal with the junk company, no matter how their product performs. This is the second time I deal with Indiegogo, the first time was not much better. Never again. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Ordered the wicked ball for my kitty in mid August. First I got notification that the product will be shipped in September, then I got an email saying shipping will start in Oct. I hope that if I receive it by Christmas my cat will be overjoyed! I sent them 2 emails and no response. Learned a lesson.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I’ve purchased a few items from this site and while I believe it offers a good system to future entrepreneurs, I have contributed to people who never come through with a product, nor communicate and Indiegogo does nothing. I’ve communicated with indiegogo about this situation and they’ve told me to seek legal action. One of their requirements is the producers are to communicate regularly and yet if this doesn’t happen, indiegogo does nothing. So I’m supposed to hire a lawyer over a $60 product. I will not contribute to this site again. I’ve contributed several times successfully but have been scammed 3 times now. I’m not out a lot of money and i do have some amazing things. Kickstarter is a much better site as they have better control over their future entrepreneurs.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Indiegogo is a crowdfunding website that facilitates a relationship between people and creators. It provides a method for the public to donate money to a creator in exchange for a 'Perk'. The Perks are normally a product of some sort. My experience with Indiegogo has been entirely with comic book creators. All of these experiences have been good. Making a donation is very easy and they allow for a quick refund for a few days if you feel like you made a mistake. They organize the campaigns you donate to well and allow you to mark favorites for later. All of your information can be saved and you can choose if you want to reveal your name or make your donations anonymously.

The biggest problem with the site is how it organizes the different campaigns. It's difficult to search for similar items that you might be interested in, even though they have categories for different products. Sometimes I would have missed some great books if I had not heard about them from other sources. Indiegogo does everything that Kickstarter does but does it a little better. It is a good middle man between you and a creator. It allows creators to give people multiple levels of perks and even keep a store open to sell a product once the campaign is over. They are constantly tweaking the site to make the overall experience better. I'd recommend Indiegogo if you are looking to support a creative person and take a shot at getting something amazing. It's worked out very well for me so far.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I was ignorant to what I tried to buy, my bad, but now much wiser. The slick marketing will lure you in so beware. They stole my money and I’m empty handed... Way too bad, stay away. I ordered “Ice Made Clear” and after paying for my product in July 2018 and I received monthly updates with an additional update when I responded to an update with a question and now today after last month’s update saying one more month and when I again inquired today over a month since promised all were going out I then received a reply of my that the email address is no longer monitored... Shameful business practice to say the least.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

No matter what, you won’t get a response from Indiegogo. They accept your money, facilitate false promises by vendors and then refuse to be contacted. HUB wireless East buds are just as bad. Delivery date Jan 2019. Now late Sep. All attempts to contact them ignored. Looks more like a orchestrated fraud than a legitimate operation.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This company has been proven responsible for the theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars from backers, yet they do nothing to recoup that money for those backers. They lied when they said they had recruited debt recovery agents and they lied more by then double-backing and stating campaign backing does not guarantee a product. They have since changed their terms and conditions so they cannot be held liable for any infringement in future, but they have already committed the fraud / theft. These crooks need to be put away.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
      Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information