1.82/5

110 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

Indiegogo is a scam. I personally have experienced. Apparently someone at Indiegogo actually shut down and reversed all donations on a comic I donated to because of cyberpolitics or something? Apparently they are in the middle of a lawsuit about it now, all I know is the campaign was finished. I was expecting a comic because I’m a nerd and now they’re being sued. Wtf Indiegogo?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was a backer of one of their campaigns and the complaints were insane. The company was delaying and messing up all over the place on an Indiegogo campaign and it was clearly becoming a scam. I sought help from Indiegogo and posted a complaint. Indiegogo ignored me and my concerns. So I filed a scam complaint with my credit card company and they refunded my money to me, despite as I learned in an email, that Indiegogo rebutted my claim. Shame on everyone involved. I understand these direct to consumer campaigns carry some level of risk, but it became clear to me that Indiegogo is a platform that has no desire to protect the consumer and allows themselves to in reality participate in frauds.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

So, it was almost 3 months ago and I didn't get my product yet. :/ I need help to know where is my package and how long it would take to arrive. And the support said that they don't have anything to do, ¿"Warranty shipping"? super fake, can't select 0 stars...

Original review: March 27, 2019

I contributed to a campaign with Indiegogo - a weighted blanket costing 149.00. The campaign kept asking for contributors to “upgrade” by paying more for something larger, which I did not want. Months later, with no more emails regarding any delays, there is no product coming. Emails to the campaign went unanswered, and Indiegogo says they cannot help at all. If the campaign failed, we should be notified one way or the other. I will never use that them again. Very poor business.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Have been waiting for a purchase for a very long time. The backer has the funds but has become totally unresponsive. Clearly no intention to deliver. You'd think IndieGoGo would step in to prevent fraud on their platform right? Wrong. Con artists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: March 23, 2019

Volterman Waller’s Scam facilitated by Indiegogo. Will I ever receive delivery or is this an elaborate scam. It’s has been years since I paid you, technology is no longer correct thanks to the delays, your long winded updates give absolutely no clarity on what’s most important: when will I receive my product. There is no way to log in and check the status of my order... it is very suss and disappointing. If this is legit start up you have a long way to go effectively manage customers and expectations. If this is a hoax you’ve probably drawn it out long enough to complete your exit strategy so well done. Give me a real direct clear update on my purchase or come clean and admit you’ve scammed me - either way I’m looking forward to the useless Saturday morning update to cease!!! Thanks Indiegogo!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

For two years, I have paid over $230. However I didn't receive any perks. I have contacted campaigners several times, but nobody replied for my messages. For the campaigns I have contributed, I have not received any of the them.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I backed a campaign to the tune of $149 last year, which ultimately raised over $1.5m, and for which to this day, months after the last vague promises of dispatches, not a single product has been received. There are thousands of angry customers who have declared they have received nothing. The obviously fraudulent campaign has been flagged with Indiegogo, who not only do not offer refunds but also have not even shut down the campaign - it is still open and capable of receiving further funding! A criminal, somewhere, has made a fortune on the basis of a handful of flimsy lies, and all of it has been enabled by a company that chooses to look the other way whilst also profiting in the process. Indiegogo should be shut down.

Original review: March 11, 2019

The people running Indiegogo ("IGG") should be prosecuted under existing RICO statutes. I backed a campaign on IGG, and it quickly became clear that this campaign was an outright scam. I sent irrefutable evidence of this both to IGG's "Trust & Safety" team AND IGG's Legal Department. I also gave IGG concrete examples of how this campaign was frequently violating IGG's own terms of service.

Of course, IGG simply ignored all of this. They responded with a typical form email saying "We'll look into it but we won't tell you what, if anything, we've done." They did nothing except let the campaign stay active for another year! Even though IGG KNEW it was a fraudulent campaign! As a result, a scammer walked away with $1,500,000. And IGG took its cut, of course. Indiegogo actively condones fraud, and it's a shame its executives haven't been prosecuted for it. Yet. Under NO circumstances you should ever contribute to a campaign on IGG. Because by doing so you are supporting a criminal enterprise.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Indiegogo conspire with shady outfits that do not deliver products promised. There is no recourse. No way to get a refund. Indiegogo will not force, compel or ask their product producers to make restitution. AND, no place on the Indiegogo platform to review a customers experience, positive or negative. That's odd in this day and age. Kinda tells all you need to know. Looking forward to the inevitable class action against these co-conspirators. BUYER BEWARE. IndieNoNo.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Ordered (and paid) for an Amabrush tooth brush system on 8-7-2017 to be delivered in March 2018. Today is March 1 2019 and no delivery. On their website, they say that all new orders will be delivered within 2 months. I am still waiting.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Ordered an item. (Approx. $25 with delivery.) Paid in Euros (€25.53). Cancelled order, received €23.77. Exchange rate varied a cent or two during this time. €1.66 was a cheap price to pay, I've learnt that Indiegogo is not somewhere that I care to do business with. A pity as crowdfunding is a great idea but I like to feel comfortable when money is involved. If they can't get that right then I don't have much confidence in their organisation. Not recommended.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Worst experience ever trying to deal with Indiegogo and Kingii. No response from one and no accountability from the other. Maybe one day I will get my money back. Think thrice before doing anything with either company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

After backing campaigns, I was excited about what Indiegogo could offer. I found they also offer a platform for fraudulent groups to take backers' money without customer support. I was one of the 900+ backers on the Dolphin Earbuds campaign. It was a scam it seems. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I ordered and paid for Pup Scan via Indiegogo with my credit card. Fortunately it is only about 165 Euro I am going to lose. It is a French company producing this Scanner. I never got it, but in-between lots of excuses. Pup Scan is still advertised and you can order it directly now. But I never received my order placed in March 2017 with Indiegogo.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They are a very robust marketing team with innovative products and ideas. BEWARE. It ends there, this is a scam, offshore company does not appear to be any recourse with them. Once you send them your hard earned money it is gone. They have no product to sell or ship, nor do they ever have any intention of ever doing so. The main reason is that any recourse for the consumer is used up in wait time by their funding timelines so by the time you are trying to get your refund or money back it's usually past the 90 day protection your credit card company has.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

AVOID THIS COMPANY! Customer support doesn't exist, after 1 or 2 generic replies you are then completely ignored and if you persist (20+ requests for help) they suspend your account! Unbelievable contempt for backers.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have funded a campaign by Diifa under Indiegogo August 2017 for 2 units of Diifa Wireless Earbud 5.0 set for a November 2017 delivery. Reasons after reasons were given by Diifa for delays and I eventually received 1 earbud. Followed up with Diifa through Indiegogo and was informed the other one will be delivered as soon as it becomes available.

Followed up with Indiegogo December 2018 and was informed to contact Diifa through Indiegogo’s site as they cannot do anything about it. Did that, followed up with Diifa everyday December 2018 as well as followed up with Indiegogo. January 25 2018, no reply from Diifa and Indiegogo. Please think 100 times before using Indiegogo to backup campaigns as Indiegogo will not support you - not hold the campaigners accountable to any wrongdoing. The earbud was US$169 and for Diifa and Indiegogo to not support you tells a lot about what they really are. Beware as I do not want this to happen to you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I've backed a (very) few Indiegogo campaigns, and the first few were fine. But recently I got caught by a scammer who cleared $1,000,000 and made no attempt to produce the product. IndieGoGo has made no attempt to perform due diligence, or to ensure that the Campaign Owner fulfilled their responsibilities. Although IndieGoGo must have the Campaign Owners verified contact details, they refuse to give them to backers, "for privacy reasons", even though the Campaign Owner has scammed $1M. Without them, we cannot pursue legal recourse. At this point, IndieGoGo is a co-conspirator in a $1M fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Yes this is a scam! Yes I was caught out by it too. Yes Indiegogo are hiding behind small print to avoid liabilities. Yes - contact your credit card companies to try get a refund. ABSOLUTELY STOP SUPPORTING ANY MORE INDIEGOGO PROJECTS UNTIL THEY CHANGE THEIR TERMS WHICH ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF SCAM. These comments are going onto every review site I can find and I encourage you to all do the same - the only way they will learn!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Stay away from Indiegogo. They will not support you. Think about this - The only way to get your money back is if the product doesn't meet their "funding target". Then if they do hit it (and no matter what happens), the money will be "RELEASED TO THE SELLER" and then you have no chance of getting it back. So what happens if you're scammed?? You'd never know until you waited for your item. However, your item wouldn't have a release date until after funding was released to them.

After all "they need the money to develop and move to the next phase of their product development". Sooo... it's not until after you have waited and waited and request refunds and the seller denies you a refund or your product (ultimately giving you more lies) that you contact Indiegogo and they say "sorry, the funds have been released, and as per policy there's nothing we can do". Well crap... How would you ever know it's a scam until after you've made your payment and waited for the fulfillment. It's impossible. There is no way to be protected by Indiegogo. Zip, zero, zilch. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I contributed to a company named Bristly, to get a gift for my dog. But, of course, after taking my money, I never received the product and never received a supportive response from the company. Indiegogo must take responsibility for its clients/startups if they are hosting them. There must be guidelines these products/projects adhere to in order to be included on this site. It's a free-for-all on Indiegogo with dishonest people taking money from people who are willing to give it. I've been scammed and I hope no one else has to feel this way. Indiegogo has not responded to my complaints and very obviously unwilling to step in to ensure the quality of their entrepreneurial campaigns.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have funded a number of Project on Indiegogo in the past and it has been a normal experience. You will have a normal experience when the project that you are funding actually delivers a product that you have paid for. The problem came when the project I had funded delivered me a product that did not work and was defective. Given a lot of companies who uses Indiegogo and generally start-ups, they are not established enough to provide proper support. The project I had funded did not provide a number to call them on to discuss my purchase, and they did not reply to emails or even on Facebook Messenger. I was pretty much getting nowhere with them.

So I reached out to Indiegogo for help and to my surprise, there was none provided. Basically, in the T&Cs that we would all have click "Accept" and not read, Indiegogo assumes no liability whatsoever and refunds can only be provided if the project you are funding gives you one. Very disappointed as this does not provide consumers with any protection. This would be the last time I am buying anything through Indiegogo and I am telling those around me the same.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I use a bunch of these startup and crowdfunding websites. I have only been burned one time on one that was not on Indiegogo but another site. I have had 5 really good products come from my investments on Indiegogo. You take a risk on any of these type of sites as these are all startups that may not make it. If you cannot afford the loss then do not invest your money or time. I look at it as helping someone maybe realize their dream. Only spend what you can stand not see again. It is not buying a product from a store.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Using Indiegogo (who was paid), I funded a project called Använda (a bag). The delivery date estimated was August 2018. It’s now the end of December and I have not received the product. I have no confirmed delivery date. Indiegogo will not provide a refund nor the project Använda. There is nothing you can do, so I would advise people not to use this site. I ask you who would buy a product if you knew it may not be delivered or you would have to wait 6 months? Indiegogo conveniently just takes their cut and then says it’s not their problem.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I also keep it short. I'm scammed by Coolala and Indiegogo does nothing. $450 gone. If you want to get scammed, that’s the place to be. For me I never spend my money there again. Better buy things in well known stores.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered the product in April 2018 for September delivery. I received an email stating delivery would now be October. The update was a broadcast email not a response to my many emails. It was a glowing emailing of all the spec increases that they are adding for FREE. I sent multiple emails to both Indiegogo and NEW ATLAS (the advertiser) about the order and all NEW ATLAS would say is they had no way to contact them and that they were sorry. I love New Atlas and I tell everyone about it. But Indiegogo never responded to my many emails. Today is Dec 20, 2018 and I still have no truthful news or the product and I am very very disappointed with them. I purchase directly from China and other countries without incident, but this Indiegogo company appears to be a ripoff. Hope you are smarter than I was and read the reviews first before buying.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I am going to keep it short as I have wasted enough time with this company. Look at their products - complete fantasy products that never deliver anywhere close to what they promised (if they deliver at all). Look specifically at the Xfyro Aria review - and stay away from this company if you want to not lose your hard earned money. And if you want to avoid headaches and heartaches.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

This the last email I received from the Indiegogo team. I have emailed several times asking for my product to be sent or a refund. No reply to either request. It's been two years since I "funded" the Solartab C charger campaign. FB Indiegogo they are a worthless company and most definitely a scam. "We hope you’ve had a pleasant spring so far. Earlier this spring our fulfillment partners started shipping the first waves of Solartab C units to Indiegogo backers around the globe. We were excited to finally begin shipping, as the products that finished production and we were to receive. Went to quality control in mid-September already, but took a long time getting ready for dispatch, due to delays with cables that were handled in November.

Unfortunately, initial feedback from backers who received their Solartab C unit in the mail was concerning. What backers shared with us via e-mail, comments and messages indicated that too many of the delivered units had missing or malfunctioning features, which were not caught during our quality control. We would like to stress that the delay between quality control and delivery was not due to our choice. We have sent out a form to all backers who have received their Solartab C unit already where they are able to share their impressions in detail with us. This way, we can get the best overview of the situation as possible, so we can understand better what course of action to take next. We also shipped review units to parts of our team and testers. Meanwhile, all fulfillment partners were instructed to put shipping of further waves of units on hold a month ago to try to get an understanding of the issues initial feedback showed us.

We are currently trying to understand what the problems with the units we have received are and looking at ways to remedy them. If you’ve received the form, please fill it out as soon as you can. If you haven’t, dispatch of your unit is currently on hold, and we will update you with news as soon as we have something to share."

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I too was taken in by a campaign On Indiegogo that closed in October 2016 promising shipments the following year. This is for Kia a company that is very it’s located in San Diego or Italy and seems to change locations constantly. After this campaign closed they have started and close another large campaign and currently have a brand new campaign promising shipments in February 2019. Have I got an iceberg to sell you for your backyard. Indiegogo is benefiting from all of these fraudulent campaigns but does nothing to help Backers whatsoever.

In 2017 Indiegogo initiated two new rules. The first was that the companies needed to do monthly updates. CAIA is now in violation and is planning to do one in December to cover November and December. And the other requirements that was added into thousand 17 was that the companies with clearly communicate any delays in their schedule. Again CAIA is completely in violation and all complaints and all emails sent to Indiegogo are referred back to CAIA.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information