2.71/5

116 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

Indiegogo has known scams that it does not address in any way and still allows to take money. Take for example this scam, look at the comment section and read that every backer on a 100,000 dollar campaign was scammed and multiple reports have been made, yet Indiegogo does not even mark the campaign as potentially fraudulent. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ns-glasses-first-3d-headset-for-nintendo-switch#/comments) This is not the only campaign where this is an issue but a prime example of their negligence, in spite of dozens of known reports that this campaign is a scam and hundreds of comments echoing the sentiment, the campaign continues to take money. I will never use Indiegogo again.

Original review: June 3, 2019

As a content creator I'd like to think crowdfunding is indeed a good idea, and sure it has produced some amazing things. In an ideal world, everything would be delivered and risks would be rewarded. This is not an ideal world though, and Indiegogo is not an ideal platform. I backed the ill-fated Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus some years ago now. Back then Indiegogo called their contributions 'orders'. However when it became apparent that not just the Vega, but MANY other 'projects' were helmed by poorly-managed teams or were just downright shams, Indiegogo addressed this in a professional and accountable manner by simply altering the website to say 'contributions' rather than 'orders', as though that absolves them of some responsibility for allowing so many farces to be operating on their platform.

Yes, crowdfunding is a risk. But yes, Indiegogo is actually somewhat accountable for the people who utilise their platforms. Just as all other websites and social media outlets are responsible for the content uploaded to them. Long story short, the Retro Computers team behind the Vega Plus vanished, with $150 of mine, and hundreds of thousands in total from thousands of others. No updates, no correspondence, gone. Indiegogo was also silent, and remains so. (At least refund the shipping fees, we know those were never utilised?) I'd avoid backing anything else on here, it appears any donkey with an idea and five bucks can promise a spaceship.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Indigogo helped ran a fraudulent campaign with Best Self Co. They were advertising the Tempo Hourglass. I paid $140 for 2 of them and never receive them or a refund after contacting the BBB. They are complicit running these fraudulent scams and pay no mind to the customers who send their money backing their campaigns. Tread lightly when deciding to use this company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have backed several Indiegogo campaigns, and one has actually delivered and I am happy with the product. But this is an American company. My backing of a Chinese campaign ("Mini PC") was a waste of almost $300. First of all, there is no way to go after them if they defraud. Second, they seduce people with "too good to be true" campaigns (I fell for it), and then just disappear with the money. I think that if one stays with American companies and campaigns, it can be a good thing to back. But avoid the Chinese completely.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We funded an indie film through Indiegogo. We raised approximately $1500. The funding campaign ended almost 1 month ago. The funds are gone and did not get deposited into our account!!!! Multiple emails have not been helpful. It appears as if all of the donated money was stolen. DO NOT USE INDIEGOGO TO RAISE MONEY FOR A PROJECT!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: April 30, 2019

It’s clear to me that Indiegogo has no interest in holding companies responsible when it comes to delivering what consumers paid for. It’s not a GoFundMe. It’s crowdfunding with the expectation that said item will be delivered as promised especially when you are a company called DreamQii and post a drone up then claim that literally everything has been done and shipping is expected to be within 4 months. And yet here thousands of us are drained of millions and over 4 years later with no drone in site nor are there any updates even today that it will be delivered in the near future like the company has claimed at least half a dozen times now to deceitfully mislead consumers into paying off their balances as well as still selling items on their website. www.dreamqii.com.

As far as I am concerned everything was a big scam with no intention to deliver anything but instead to deceitfully mislead and rob us of our money. Had DreamQii said in the beginning that it very well might be 5 years before they deliver I am sure they probably would have a completely different outcome but they didn't and choose to lie instead again by stating that delivery was only a few months away so HURRY and buy now. Also Indiegogo appears to care less about any of this and not only do they allow it to happen but they are not putting stiff penalties in place. For example if a company fails to deliver by said date that anyone choosing to be refunded gets refunded.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Indiegogo is a scam. I personally have experienced. Apparently someone at Indiegogo actually shut down and reversed all donations on a comic I donated to because of cyberpolitics or something? Apparently they are in the middle of a lawsuit about it now, all I know is the campaign was finished. I was expecting a comic because I’m a nerd and now they’re being sued. Wtf Indiegogo?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was a backer of one of their campaigns and the complaints were insane. The company was delaying and messing up all over the place on an Indiegogo campaign and it was clearly becoming a scam. I sought help from Indiegogo and posted a complaint. Indiegogo ignored me and my concerns. So I filed a scam complaint with my credit card company and they refunded my money to me, despite as I learned in an email, that Indiegogo rebutted my claim. Shame on everyone involved. I understand these direct to consumer campaigns carry some level of risk, but it became clear to me that Indiegogo is a platform that has no desire to protect the consumer and allows themselves to in reality participate in frauds.

Original review: March 29, 2019

So, it was almost 3 months ago and I didn't get my product yet. :/ I need help to know where is my package and how long it would take to arrive. And the support said that they don't have anything to do, ¿"Warranty shipping"? super fake, can't select 0 stars...

Original review: March 27, 2019

I contributed to a campaign with Indiegogo - a weighted blanket costing 149.00. The campaign kept asking for contributors to “upgrade” by paying more for something larger, which I did not want. Months later, with no more emails regarding any delays, there is no product coming. Emails to the campaign went unanswered, and Indiegogo says they cannot help at all. If the campaign failed, we should be notified one way or the other. I will never use that them again. Very poor business.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Have been waiting for a purchase for a very long time. The backer has the funds but has become totally unresponsive. Clearly no intention to deliver. You'd think IndieGoGo would step in to prevent fraud on their platform right? Wrong. Con artists.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Volterman Waller’s Scam facilitated by Indiegogo. Will I ever receive delivery or is this an elaborate scam. It’s has been years since I paid you, technology is no longer correct thanks to the delays, your long winded updates give absolutely no clarity on what’s most important: when will I receive my product. There is no way to log in and check the status of my order... it is very suss and disappointing. If this is legit start up you have a long way to go effectively manage customers and expectations. If this is a hoax you’ve probably drawn it out long enough to complete your exit strategy so well done. Give me a real direct clear update on my purchase or come clean and admit you’ve scammed me - either way I’m looking forward to the useless Saturday morning update to cease!!! Thanks Indiegogo!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

For two years, I have paid over $230. However I didn't receive any perks. I have contacted campaigners several times, but nobody replied for my messages. For the campaigns I have contributed, I have not received any of the them.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I backed a campaign to the tune of $149 last year, which ultimately raised over $1.5m, and for which to this day, months after the last vague promises of dispatches, not a single product has been received. There are thousands of angry customers who have declared they have received nothing. The obviously fraudulent campaign has been flagged with Indiegogo, who not only do not offer refunds but also have not even shut down the campaign - it is still open and capable of receiving further funding! A criminal, somewhere, has made a fortune on the basis of a handful of flimsy lies, and all of it has been enabled by a company that chooses to look the other way whilst also profiting in the process. Indiegogo should be shut down.

Original review: March 11, 2019

The people running Indiegogo ("IGG") should be prosecuted under existing RICO statutes. I backed a campaign on IGG, and it quickly became clear that this campaign was an outright scam. I sent irrefutable evidence of this both to IGG's "Trust & Safety" team AND IGG's Legal Department. I also gave IGG concrete examples of how this campaign was frequently violating IGG's own terms of service.

Of course, IGG simply ignored all of this. They responded with a typical form email saying "We'll look into it but we won't tell you what, if anything, we've done." They did nothing except let the campaign stay active for another year! Even though IGG KNEW it was a fraudulent campaign! As a result, a scammer walked away with $1,500,000. And IGG took its cut, of course. Indiegogo actively condones fraud, and it's a shame its executives haven't been prosecuted for it. Yet. Under NO circumstances you should ever contribute to a campaign on IGG. Because by doing so you are supporting a criminal enterprise.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Indiegogo conspire with shady outfits that do not deliver products promised. There is no recourse. No way to get a refund. Indiegogo will not force, compel or ask their product producers to make restitution. AND, no place on the Indiegogo platform to review a customers experience, positive or negative. That's odd in this day and age. Kinda tells all you need to know. Looking forward to the inevitable class action against these co-conspirators. BUYER BEWARE. IndieNoNo.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Ordered (and paid) for an Amabrush tooth brush system on 8-7-2017 to be delivered in March 2018. Today is March 1 2019 and no delivery. On their website, they say that all new orders will be delivered within 2 months. I am still waiting.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Ordered an item. (Approx. $25 with delivery.) Paid in Euros (€25.53). Cancelled order, received €23.77. Exchange rate varied a cent or two during this time. €1.66 was a cheap price to pay, I've learnt that Indiegogo is not somewhere that I care to do business with. A pity as crowdfunding is a great idea but I like to feel comfortable when money is involved. If they can't get that right then I don't have much confidence in their organisation. Not recommended.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Worst experience ever trying to deal with Indiegogo and Kingii. No response from one and no accountability from the other. Maybe one day I will get my money back. Think thrice before doing anything with either company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

After backing campaigns, I was excited about what Indiegogo could offer. I found they also offer a platform for fraudulent groups to take backers' money without customer support. I was one of the 900+ backers on the Dolphin Earbuds campaign. It was a scam it seems. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I ordered and paid for Pup Scan via Indiegogo with my credit card. Fortunately it is only about 165 Euro I am going to lose. It is a French company producing this Scanner. I never got it, but in-between lots of excuses. Pup Scan is still advertised and you can order it directly now. But I never received my order placed in March 2017 with Indiegogo.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They are a very robust marketing team with innovative products and ideas. BEWARE. It ends there, this is a scam, offshore company does not appear to be any recourse with them. Once you send them your hard earned money it is gone. They have no product to sell or ship, nor do they ever have any intention of ever doing so. The main reason is that any recourse for the consumer is used up in wait time by their funding timelines so by the time you are trying to get your refund or money back it's usually past the 90 day protection your credit card company has.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

AVOID THIS COMPANY! Customer support doesn't exist, after 1 or 2 generic replies you are then completely ignored and if you persist (20+ requests for help) they suspend your account! Unbelievable contempt for backers.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have funded a campaign by Diifa under Indiegogo August 2017 for 2 units of Diifa Wireless Earbud 5.0 set for a November 2017 delivery. Reasons after reasons were given by Diifa for delays and I eventually received 1 earbud. Followed up with Diifa through Indiegogo and was informed the other one will be delivered as soon as it becomes available.

Followed up with Indiegogo December 2018 and was informed to contact Diifa through Indiegogo’s site as they cannot do anything about it. Did that, followed up with Diifa everyday December 2018 as well as followed up with Indiegogo. January 25 2018, no reply from Diifa and Indiegogo. Please think 100 times before using Indiegogo to backup campaigns as Indiegogo will not support you - not hold the campaigners accountable to any wrongdoing. The earbud was US$169 and for Diifa and Indiegogo to not support you tells a lot about what they really are. Beware as I do not want this to happen to you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I've backed a (very) few Indiegogo campaigns, and the first few were fine. But recently I got caught by a scammer who cleared $1,000,000 and made no attempt to produce the product. IndieGoGo has made no attempt to perform due diligence, or to ensure that the Campaign Owner fulfilled their responsibilities. Although IndieGoGo must have the Campaign Owners verified contact details, they refuse to give them to backers, "for privacy reasons", even though the Campaign Owner has scammed $1M. Without them, we cannot pursue legal recourse. At this point, IndieGoGo is a co-conspirator in a $1M fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Yes this is a scam! Yes I was caught out by it too. Yes Indiegogo are hiding behind small print to avoid liabilities. Yes - contact your credit card companies to try get a refund. ABSOLUTELY STOP SUPPORTING ANY MORE INDIEGOGO PROJECTS UNTIL THEY CHANGE THEIR TERMS WHICH ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF SCAM. These comments are going onto every review site I can find and I encourage you to all do the same - the only way they will learn!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Stay away from Indiegogo. They will not support you. Think about this - The only way to get your money back is if the product doesn't meet their "funding target". Then if they do hit it (and no matter what happens), the money will be "RELEASED TO THE SELLER" and then you have no chance of getting it back. So what happens if you're scammed?? You'd never know until you waited for your item. However, your item wouldn't have a release date until after funding was released to them.

After all "they need the money to develop and move to the next phase of their product development". Sooo... it's not until after you have waited and waited and request refunds and the seller denies you a refund or your product (ultimately giving you more lies) that you contact Indiegogo and they say "sorry, the funds have been released, and as per policy there's nothing we can do". Well crap... How would you ever know it's a scam until after you've made your payment and waited for the fulfillment. It's impossible. There is no way to be protected by Indiegogo. Zip, zero, zilch. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I contributed to a company named Bristly, to get a gift for my dog. But, of course, after taking my money, I never received the product and never received a supportive response from the company. Indiegogo must take responsibility for its clients/startups if they are hosting them. There must be guidelines these products/projects adhere to in order to be included on this site. It's a free-for-all on Indiegogo with dishonest people taking money from people who are willing to give it. I've been scammed and I hope no one else has to feel this way. Indiegogo has not responded to my complaints and very obviously unwilling to step in to ensure the quality of their entrepreneurial campaigns.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have funded a number of Project on Indiegogo in the past and it has been a normal experience. You will have a normal experience when the project that you are funding actually delivers a product that you have paid for. The problem came when the project I had funded delivered me a product that did not work and was defective. Given a lot of companies who uses Indiegogo and generally start-ups, they are not established enough to provide proper support. The project I had funded did not provide a number to call them on to discuss my purchase, and they did not reply to emails or even on Facebook Messenger. I was pretty much getting nowhere with them.

So I reached out to Indiegogo for help and to my surprise, there was none provided. Basically, in the T&Cs that we would all have click "Accept" and not read, Indiegogo assumes no liability whatsoever and refunds can only be provided if the project you are funding gives you one. Very disappointed as this does not provide consumers with any protection. This would be the last time I am buying anything through Indiegogo and I am telling those around me the same.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I use a bunch of these startup and crowdfunding websites. I have only been burned one time on one that was not on Indiegogo but another site. I have had 5 really good products come from my investments on Indiegogo. You take a risk on any of these type of sites as these are all startups that may not make it. If you cannot afford the loss then do not invest your money or time. I look at it as helping someone maybe realize their dream. Only spend what you can stand not see again. It is not buying a product from a store.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information