1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

90 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Stay away from Indiegogo. They will not support you. Think about this - The only way to get your money back is if the product doesn't meet their "funding target". Then if they do hit it (and no matter what happens), the money will be "RELEASED TO THE SELLER" and then you have no chance of getting it back. So what happens if you're scammed?? You'd never know until you waited for your item. However, your item wouldn't have a release date until after funding was released to them.

After all "they need the money to develop and move to the next phase of their product development". Sooo... it's not until after you have waited and waited and request refunds and the seller denies you a refund or your product (ultimately giving you more lies) that you contact Indiegogo and they say "sorry, the funds have been released, and as per policy there's nothing we can do". Well crap... How would you ever know it's a scam until after you've made your payment and waited for the fulfillment. It's impossible. There is no way to be protected by Indiegogo. Zip, zero, zilch. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I contributed to a company named Bristly, to get a gift for my dog. But, of course, after taking my money, I never received the product and never received a supportive response from the company. Indiegogo must take responsibility for its clients/startups if they are hosting them. There must be guidelines these products/projects adhere to in order to be included on this site. It's a free-for-all on Indiegogo with dishonest people taking money from people who are willing to give it. I've been scammed and I hope no one else has to feel this way. Indiegogo has not responded to my complaints and very obviously unwilling to step in to ensure the quality of their entrepreneurial campaigns.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have funded a number of Project on Indiegogo in the past and it has been a normal experience. You will have a normal experience when the project that you are funding actually delivers a product that you have paid for. The problem came when the project I had funded delivered me a product that did not work and was defective. Given a lot of companies who uses Indiegogo and generally start-ups, they are not established enough to provide proper support. The project I had funded did not provide a number to call them on to discuss my purchase, and they did not reply to emails or even on Facebook Messenger. I was pretty much getting nowhere with them.

So I reached out to Indiegogo for help and to my surprise, there was none provided. Basically, in the T&Cs that we would all have click "Accept" and not read, Indiegogo assumes no liability whatsoever and refunds can only be provided if the project you are funding gives you one. Very disappointed as this does not provide consumers with any protection. This would be the last time I am buying anything through Indiegogo and I am telling those around me the same.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I use a bunch of these startup and crowdfunding websites. I have only been burned one time on one that was not on Indiegogo but another site. I have had 5 really good products come from my investments on Indiegogo. You take a risk on any of these type of sites as these are all startups that may not make it. If you cannot afford the loss then do not invest your money or time. I look at it as helping someone maybe realize their dream. Only spend what you can stand not see again. It is not buying a product from a store.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Using Indiegogo (who was paid), I funded a project called Använda (a bag). The delivery date estimated was August 2018. It’s now the end of December and I have not received the product. I have no confirmed delivery date. Indiegogo will not provide a refund nor the project Använda. There is nothing you can do, so I would advise people not to use this site. I ask you who would buy a product if you knew it may not be delivered or you would have to wait 6 months? Indiegogo conveniently just takes their cut and then says it’s not their problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I also keep it short. I'm scammed by Coolala and Indiegogo does nothing. $450 gone. If you want to get scammed, that’s the place to be. For me I never spend my money there again. Better buy things in well known stores.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered the product in April 2018 for September delivery. I received an email stating delivery would now be October. The update was a broadcast email not a response to my many emails. It was a glowing emailing of all the spec increases that they are adding for FREE. I sent multiple emails to both Indiegogo and NEW ATLAS (the advertiser) about the order and all NEW ATLAS would say is they had no way to contact them and that they were sorry. I love New Atlas and I tell everyone about it. But Indiegogo never responded to my many emails. Today is Dec 20, 2018 and I still have no truthful news or the product and I am very very disappointed with them. I purchase directly from China and other countries without incident, but this Indiegogo company appears to be a ripoff. Hope you are smarter than I was and read the reviews first before buying.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I am going to keep it short as I have wasted enough time with this company. Look at their products - complete fantasy products that never deliver anywhere close to what they promised (if they deliver at all). Look specifically at the Xfyro Aria review - and stay away from this company if you want to not lose your hard earned money. And if you want to avoid headaches and heartaches.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

This the last email I received from the Indiegogo team. I have emailed several times asking for my product to be sent or a refund. No reply to either request. It's been two years since I "funded" the Solartab C charger campaign. FB Indiegogo they are a worthless company and most definitely a scam. "We hope you’ve had a pleasant spring so far. Earlier this spring our fulfillment partners started shipping the first waves of Solartab C units to Indiegogo backers around the globe. We were excited to finally begin shipping, as the products that finished production and we were to receive. Went to quality control in mid-September already, but took a long time getting ready for dispatch, due to delays with cables that were handled in November.

Unfortunately, initial feedback from backers who received their Solartab C unit in the mail was concerning. What backers shared with us via e-mail, comments and messages indicated that too many of the delivered units had missing or malfunctioning features, which were not caught during our quality control. We would like to stress that the delay between quality control and delivery was not due to our choice. We have sent out a form to all backers who have received their Solartab C unit already where they are able to share their impressions in detail with us. This way, we can get the best overview of the situation as possible, so we can understand better what course of action to take next. We also shipped review units to parts of our team and testers. Meanwhile, all fulfillment partners were instructed to put shipping of further waves of units on hold a month ago to try to get an understanding of the issues initial feedback showed us.

We are currently trying to understand what the problems with the units we have received are and looking at ways to remedy them. If you’ve received the form, please fill it out as soon as you can. If you haven’t, dispatch of your unit is currently on hold, and we will update you with news as soon as we have something to share."

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I too was taken in by a campaign On Indiegogo that closed in October 2016 promising shipments the following year. This is for Kia a company that is very it’s located in San Diego or Italy and seems to change locations constantly. After this campaign closed they have started and close another large campaign and currently have a brand new campaign promising shipments in February 2019. Have I got an iceberg to sell you for your backyard. Indiegogo is benefiting from all of these fraudulent campaigns but does nothing to help Backers whatsoever.

In 2017 Indiegogo initiated two new rules. The first was that the companies needed to do monthly updates. CAIA is now in violation and is planning to do one in December to cover November and December. And the other requirements that was added into thousand 17 was that the companies with clearly communicate any delays in their schedule. Again CAIA is completely in violation and all complaints and all emails sent to Indiegogo are referred back to CAIA.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Indiegogo allows scam artists to put fake campaign on their site. They do not do their due diligence in making sure campaign are legitimate. They take their cut and could care less if product ever gets to the consumer. If you'd like to throw your money away back a campaign.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

15 minutes after contributing to what I thought was a great product, I started receiving emails confirming my subscription to hundreds of online services. Within 1 hour I have over 900 spam emails. No response from Indiegogo or the product. Beware, they are using their site to sell your info to spam farms.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

No regards nor protection for the consumers at all. As many users has pointed out this is the platform of choice for scammers. Pretty much risk free for the campaigner of which all will be passed on to the users. In the event that you need to get a refund, the fees will be docked from your payment and not from the campaigner because it is easier for Indiegogo to do so. Though it has to be said that it is in itself a miracle if you were to get a refund. Simply, just stay away from this site. Regards.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

If I could give minus one star I would. At this point, I think Indiegogo are scammers and their campaigns and campaigners bogus. Reading the dissatisfaction of so many people like me who got scammed. I will never be a backer in Indiegogo anything. Don’t trust them to be honest. I have all proof of my payment and promises to deliver. It is a ** company. Do your due diligence IF you can’t help yourself backing a product on this site. You even cannot send a complaint to Indiegogo directly. No response either from campaigners or Indiegogo.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

There should be a class-action lawsuit against Indiegogo for allowing countless people to fall victim to predatory individuals calling themselves “companies” and promising “products” that are never delivered and never refunded. If you submit a concern to Indiegogo they are all talk and no action. They don’t care. Indiegogo is a company of scam artists who make money off smaller scam artists!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The Ototok Project, owned by Imri **, was totally funded in May 2017 and was supposed to deliver in October 2017. Paran has intermittently posted updates about continuing delays. The last update was in September 2018. Over $57,000 was collected, of which $154 was from me. Paran does not reply to emails or Facebook postings. While I hate to label this a scam, it is looking more like one.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I ordered a pair of the Segway Drift skates on Indiegogo in October. I was promised immediate shipment. It has been 2 months now and never received the skates. Segway does not respond to emails, nor do they return phone calls. Indiegogo does not give refunds. Crowdfunding sites are SCAMS. I'm out $369. Do Not Send Money To Indiegogo.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

The concept is great but their customer service, lack of transparency, and refund policy is abysmal. You have to dig deep to find their refund policy. No doubt, the reason it's buried is because they don't want people to realize their "perk" is a high-risk pre-purchase. I spent over $60 on a Flask coffee maker and extra filters from Alpha Dominche Limited. Then the company went out of business. Indiegogo says they're not responsible for any refunds and to contact the company. Alpha Dominche Limited said, "You may not receive any correspondence for some time while this situation is finalized." Translation: you just flushed your money down the toilet.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Terrible, horrific, abismal, customer service! NEVER AGAIN! STAY AWAY! DO NOT SEND MONEY! Backed two different products in my time working with Indiegogo. I hated every minute of these decisions and wish I never worked with them. I wish I would've looked them up prior to backing products up. I have been waiting for a product that was promised over a year ago. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I’m out $70 of my hard earned money and wasted time on this platform with the hope of actually receiving product. Inventor of product made promises to deliver but when you are out of refund period and don’t get your product then you get nothing. I do not recommend using Indiegogo at all.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have placed an order for 1 XFyro Aria Waterproof Earbuds on May 29, 2018, paid 80 US Dollars. My order was promised to be delivered by August 2018. As of now, I have not received my order. After several contacts and emails to the support of Indiegogo. They send me a link to send email to the campaigner's email. I did send several emails to the Indiegogo and the campaigner. As of now 11/23/2018 I have received no answer from either of them. Please do not waste your money and order anything from INDIEGOGO website. It is a scam. They get your money and you receive nothing. This website is a scam and must be investigated for fraud and scam. My order ID with them is ** May 29, 2018 for 80 Dollars for XFyro x Aria waterproof earbuds. These earbuds are also a scam.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Promised delivery in August. No perk, no refund, no response. Shameful operation. Obviously the company that produces this product is selling it all over the internet and in business but not responding to me. Indiegogo promoted them and has some responsibility to its customers and they have washed their hands completely. They do not stand behind their clients. I am shocked that they have not been taken down and sued, BIG SCAMMERS! AVOID.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I paid $6,500 two years ago for an electric bike. While the money was taken out of my account immediately and although they corresponded with me multiple times a day until I paid since then, zero. The bike was supposed to be delivered in May. When May came around they said July (the bike manufacturer) and then August and then September and now nothing. I can’t get a hold of the manufacturer or Indiegogo.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

It has taken 2 years to get a refund for my MATE S ebike after it failed to meet the specs advertised. It is a substandard product but that does not even begin to describe the experience with this amateur company. They are incredibly incompetent and arrogant. Even now they are trying to make me pay $30 for their own bank charges. The bike is heavy, cheap generic Chinese factory bike, does not meet the claims about distance and battery life, poor build quality. Don't encourage these people - marketing specialists posing as bike enthusiasts.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Expected delivery July 2018 - November 3 Nothing - My Order ID is **. Contributed May 2018. Indiegogo is not concerned or interested if you ever get anything delivered. Most campaigns wait until credit card refund options have expired, so they are free then to just ignore you. My emails to support@mobvoi.com seem to be automatic with no specific details.

"The parcel is under export clearance, and will be released on 2nd November. Please kindly wait patiently. You may contact local post/delivery agent to confirm the current status and delivery schedule. As the parcel is already sent out we may not change the shipping address. You can contact with them and ask them to send it to your daughter's premises. If the logistics website saying the parcel was delivered but you haven't received actually, please claim for lost at the local delivery agent and provide us a claim number from them, we will follow up. As always, thank you for supporting Mobvoi. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. In order to serve you better please participate in the survey below: ** ."

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I funded a campaign two years ago through this company and since then have ceased to receive any information... They kept putting me off and putting me off sending us emails that were all just junk... Lying and lying... This company is only a great way for people to be able to steal your hard earned money. I will never find any campaigns again through them because of this! Campaign I funded costs $300 and I’m sure I’ll never see that or the product ever... Do yourself a favor. Save your hard earned money and don’t trust them. They are non-trustworthy unaccredited company!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Don't ever start a campaign on Indiegogo. We started a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo, a campaign that was in accordance with their terms and conditions. We collected more than 100% of the goal. One day, without any prior notice, all the money returned to the donors. The customer service is of no use, you get only standard responses. It's not a reliable platform, without clear rules and terms, without a working communication department, without a normal customer service.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I wouldn't give Indiegogo any stars if I could. I am out over $800.00 for a bicycle that never came to be. The campaign never delivered and the campaigner walked away with money from many individuals. Indiegogo 'earned' commissions in spite of no products being delivered to backers. They take zero responsibility whether backers get their products or not. Contacted them many times and no help, no refund. Read their agreements carefully. I would never back crowd funding again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased a Travis pocket translator. Or as Indiegogo says "I supported a campaign". No product, No refund. What a ripoff. Maybe you would be better off to buy products from an online retailer. My experience says so.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Beware of Indiegogo, they do not care whether campaigns using their platform are trustworthy. I invested in ritot projector watch about 5 yrs ago. And even now the creators haven't come close to making anything. They put out announcements explaining what they will do but never show any actual product. When you complain to Indiegogo they say they are pleased the campaign is communicating with backers. IndieGoGo are willfully blind to scams on their platform.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information