Indiegogo

Compare Crowdfunding Sites

Research top Crowdfunding Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

So I have not had a good experience with Indiegogo. Since 2012 I have not received 4 of the items I have supported. What is also unnerving is that I have not received updates about 3 of the 4. I actually had forgotten about what I had purchased until I got an 'update' today (October 2016) for a campaign that was pretty recent actually - May 2016. But the email only said expected delivery date - July 2016 with nothing about that it is way past that date!

If people are going to ask you for your money and you are excited about their product and believing, in good faith, that they will deliver, then these campaign people need to have the decency to send updates about their product, even if it is to say it is delayed - yada yada yada - or give the money back... I have read other reviews on other sites where Indiegogo takes so much money from the campaigners also so maybe this is a whole giant sloppy scam... But on the plus side, I did receive two other products fairly quickly - they delivered and the other one I have been getting updated on frequently so at least you know they are still out there working on their stuff... So not happy overall with Indiegogo and people who are not able to keep in contact with their supporters.

It helped push the project beyond its goal and spread the word about it to people interested in it. Overall it was very beneficial to the project. It was easy to find and the goals were very clear giving plenty of info. I had no issues on the website finding what I needed. Overall it worked fine. Fees seemed pretty reasonable given the project and didn't seem too expensive compared to other sites that do projects like this. It was solid overall.

It adds to the networking and support you can get to help fund anything you are trying to get patrons for. I never have a problem accessing facebook and twitter followers and getting the support for my project. It is very easy to use. I never have any issues since I have started using this service. It is the best. Indiegogo is the best site there is to use. There are some fees to pay but nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is to be expected. I never have any problem or issues with paying the fees. Customer Support always is there. They allow me to be better. I never have problem contacting them when needed for an issue.

The sites have a great link that can be posted online to Facebook or websites. I used the site to support a web series I enjoyed watching. This site was very easy to use, click on the payment button and leads you through all important information to make your donation and the site was easy to navigate using search functions. I do not enjoy paying fees for a website. I would prefer all money to go to my cause but I do understand the issue of site itself needs funding. It is a vehicle we use for widespread access across the internet. I have not needed to use their customer service. I have never need to contact anyone since the site was working as well as I expected. Haven't looked at customer service section to see if it is easy to find.

It can be influential to the audience. Great way to reach the market that the product may appeal to. The best way to gather data on the demographic. Very easy to use. Payments were very easy to use. The product description is very easy to understand what one wishes to invest in. I would recommend this to my peers. The fees are reasonable because one has the options of choosing how much one wishes to put up. One can pledge whatever amount one wishes to pledge. Along with updates on the products progress. Customer services is decent, Ive never had a problem with such issues. I enjoy this because I want to invest into the future. The great ideas of the future might need help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

It's nice because you're able to share on Social media the actual page for what is being crowdfunded and it will include a brief description of what it is as well, as opposed to a goofy title which may not always influence somebody to check it out. It's very easy to use because with just like the click of two buttons you crowdfunded the certain package you wanted and know exactly what you got. On crowdfunding sites there's generally never a hidden fee, and this follows that rule as well which is nice. You just have to read descriptions of packages carefully to make sure they don't charge you like a flight cost if you are flying out somewhere to meet people. I've personally never had any problems so I've never had to contact customer support, but I'm sure they'd be able to help you with any problems you encounter.

It was fairly simple to get everything started and set up using the IndieGogo website. Many friends were able to easily share a link which showed our promotional video directly on their facebook pages. This set up was incredibly helpful in spreading the word and ultimately lead us to achieving our desired results. The website is incredibly self-explanatory and user-friendly. If you do not understand how to write descriptions or rewards for the campaign that you or your organization are promoting, you have probably not spent very much time on a computer or on the internet in general.

I do wish of course that the fees were a bit lower, but then again that may be the case regardless of what the website's actual fees are. Obviously it is better to keep the full amount of crowd-funded money raised. That being said I also fully understand that IndieGogo is a business in and of itself so it is a vehicle for them to make a profit also. I did not have any issues with my website or with putting the campaign together, but the contact information was readily available had I needed any access to it. Thankfully everything went off quite smoothly with no problems.

Usually, I really don't know about integration. Indiegogo doesn't use that on there because they usually use their money to put funds in for fan projects and some stuff. Its ease of use was by the ones who start the campaign, but they really just want the money for spending on some stuff or I do not know. Some of the perks onto the campaigns are pretty much expensive, but they have a lower price on there. People usually save their money for that kind of stuff. The users for some of the campaigns on Indiegogo usually contacts one of the founders of the campaigns about whether a problems occurs.

Initially it is difficult to find customer contact information. Then when you find it, there is no response. If persistent and you try various contact methods, i.e. FB, email, phone calls you might get a response. A response like "sorry, not sorry". A shrug "we can't do anything to help". I have supported 5 upstarts on Indiegogo. Two of them I received my product within a reasonable time frame (3 months). One was cancelled a year later and I was given a refund. Currently I have two that have not come through. One is 3 years old without a project status update in nearly a year. The other one is more than 18 months since I donated. Rarely receive updates and the ones we have received tell us they are shipping. This has been going on for more than 6 months. Indiegogo won't respond to inquiries or just says it is out of their hands.

I think it would be helpful to let others know what is really important and why you need crowd funding. Twitter and Facebook can really let others know what is so important about your efforts and can get you funded faster than without. It can really make the difference between meeting and exceeding your overall goals. Very easy to set up and it can really pay off in the long run. I like the ease of usage and how you see just how much has been raised over any amount of time. When you need funding quickly and effortlessly, it is best to use crowdfunding to achieve your goals.

The fees take place if the amount of funding goes higher than a certain $. It is stated up front, so there are no surprises. It's still okay if there is a fee and you achieve your goal b/c at least your project or effort got approved and funded. It's the price of doing business. Great customer support and very kind as well. They understand you are trying to achieve a funding goal and are a good partner. Everything seems simple and the people seem to care if you achieve that goal on their site. A good overall experience.

Expert Review

Rose SpinelliCrowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.    More about Rose→

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.
  • Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.
  • Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.
  • Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.
  • Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.
  • Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.
  • Best for Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Compare Crowdfunding Sites