2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.4/5 (241 ratings)

About Indiegogo

Indiegogo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

This is a hit or miss, Indiegogo has no way to make these fake inventors be held accountable. Be prepared to donate your money to these people. The product of these might look enticing, but it might be a person that will take your money and give you **. The best way is to wait until the product comes out to the market.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Donor to Leaf Mask project with Indiegogo. After 18 months still no product. Support almost non-existent through Indiegogo and the manufacturer, but finally reached manufacturer support through their online chat. Even after they checked and confirmed my order, and VERIFIED they were in the process of shipping my order and it would be out within the next 6 days (this was over 5 months ago) - NOTHING. They obviously have no intent of delivering the product, and have stolen my money (and Indiegogo has done nothing to deal with the issues of one of their programs). Disgusting - don't trust Indiegogo with any of the platforms they allow as obviously there is no verification on their side as to whether a company is legit or not. Shame on them.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

While there are really great campaigns on Indiegogo I would not ever under any circumstances use them to support any campaign as their vetting process and customer service is absolutely horrible. I’ve supported 5 campaigns in the last year and have received only one perk that has actually worked. This particular campaign was a fraud and it’s taking 90 days to dispute a $1898 loss that I may end up eating because Indiegogo doesn’t complete its vetting process. To make matters worse they refuse to answer basic questions about campaign activity and only communicate via email. They really do not seem care about backers and I don’t think I’ve read more insincere horse crap responses.

Essentially what happens with your money is you get to support young capitalists that don’t really know what they are doing so they can produce something at a lower price then you end up paying for just to be the test market. It sounds nice like you are going to help make something or someone better but in reality it’s a total crapshoot and odds are good you’ll be left holding the overpriced, delayed, handful of crap or in my case nothing. I hope because of banking regulations I end up getting some kind of refund but I thought the least I could do is to save others from the marketing ghosts that are Indiegogo. Locate the campaign directly or through another means but do yourself a favor don’t support Indiegogo. They do not care.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Set up sent in over $700. Updates were false and there is ZERO help from Indiegogo to help capture any of my funds. All Indiegogo does is give you an empty email ... no value or support. I have sent in many emails, all you get back is a form note ... saying sorry.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I trusted on Indiegogo campaign by purchasing their Seven coffee maker campaign on September 2020 and ETA on November. It is almost a year since my purchase #** with no delivery and no even answers from the campaigner. After no replies from them I escalated to Indiegogo support and asked them to intermediate but instead I got the following answer: "To clarify, each crowdfunding campaign is run by the individual campaigner who is solely in charge of distributing any perks offered. Indiegogo does not guarantee that the perks offered by the campaigner will be produced or delivered. However, campaigners are expected to be communicative and responsive to their backers." Indiegogo does not take any liability on their products and services which is unbelievable and unacceptable. This is scam and I feel alone with 200 USD lost.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

There is no way to contact support at Indiegogo, they just want to take your money for crowdfunding items that never ship. I tried going to their website and contacting support, but the system goes in a loop without actually letting you contact support. I paid $400 for 2 Leaf Masks that never shipped and it has been over a year now. I won't back any projects from them again.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

These guys are impossible to contact. I personally WILL NOT take the risk of backing any more projects. I backed one project and the goods just never arrive! There is no way to contact Indiegogo, thank god it was only a couple of hundred dollars.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I contributed to Campster: Full-Height Ultra-Light chair which was to be delivered last July. Got nothing, despite numerous emails to the company. I was blocked from warning others. Indiegogo ignored my emails as well. I had another project years ago where they stole the money and delivered nothing. Indiegogo does nothing to monitor things and neither they or the Campster chair deserve to be in business. Costco now has better chairs for half the price.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have been contributing on Indiegogo for some time and I had backed 14 projects, with several still in development. Today, I received an email from Indiegogo that my account had been closed, as I had breached their Terms. No idea what Terms I should have breached, as I had only contributed and left one (positive) review in the comments section. There is no way that Indiegogo can be reached by phone or chat, and no one seems to reply to their email/support questions. I find this behaviour quite troubling as I do not know what is going to happen to the money I had paid for the upcoming projects. The lack of communication with the company is unprofessional and their behaviour unethical.

Original review: May 26, 2021

Took part in MagicStick campaign 6 years ago and the item has not yet been delivered. Obviously, this is a scam and the company has no policy against such cases. The campaign page is still open in their website and the last update was 1 year ago from the indian company who are obviously making excuses for not delivering with the support of Indiegogo.

Indiegogo author review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information