2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Indiegogo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

My experience is very similar to the rest of the reviews on Indiegogo. I would like to hear from people who actually received the product post-successful campaign they´ve invested in ON TIME or let alone heard from the campaign organization. I can´t believe I saw the ad on Linkedin which is why I trusted the site. I've contributed to the campaign where the estimated delivery was due in July, after a few e-mails, I have yet to hear back from anyone. It's so sad that people usually have a good heart and go out of their way with good intentions when they take the chance at 'new' campaigns but Indiegogo has shaved off that confidence...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

This is total scam! Excuse by excuse, but nothing happened. Almost 2 years over deadline, but never been send. Do not believe or even try to buy anything from this site. Tell others and spread the news.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have participated in 2 campaigns with Indiegogo but I have finally lost all my money. Indiegogo has an excellent policy of not returning money, because they only return it in a very short period of time, after that, Indiegogo never returns the money and leaves the decision to refund to the creator of the campaign. Indiegogo doesn't care that the campaign is a scam, it doesn't matter that you never receive the final product, it doesn't even matter that you receive an object that doesn't work and doesn't look like what was promised in the campaign, Indiegogo just wants your money. I think Indiegogo needs to change its policy and follow up on every campaign in detail, including checking a sample product before starting deliveries to ensure quality. Sounds like an easy money policy.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

After realizing that old campaigns that ended several years ago were still active, I contacted Indiegogo support to request that they be deleted from their site. They have no phone support or a live chat so your only option is emailing them. I was expecting a response that would have easily complied with my request, I mean why not?

Instead, over a couple of months of emailing, I have received the same nearly automated response from one of 2 agents (and always at night between 9pm-1am) over and over with a generic message that reads something like "Indiegogo does not take down or hide campaigns that have raised funds because of our transparent ecosystem. You worked hard to bring an idea to life, and others contributed to turn your passion into action. The campaign will remain live on our site indefinitely, which will preserve your campaign information and contributor details." This doesn't sound like a transparent ecosystem but code for "Indiegogo uses your information". What kind of customer policy is this? It's rude, careless, corporate, and is an attack on the funders that used their platform. If you need to raise money, by all means, go elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

This is a total scam! I backed my first Indiegogo project for Air Pix drone well over a year ago. We are now over a year past the delivery date (despite multiple emails confirming the drones were being shipped), yet no drones. Oh, by the way, they can be purchased on the internet for the last year and are cheap piece of crap Chinese products (as usual). I have emailed the company MULTIPLE TIMES for a refund, which they promised, yet no refund. Indiegogo takes no interest or responsibility for helping with over site. It was a total $200 scam. No one (campaign or Indiegogo responds to emails now. There is as reason this is an unaccredited company with 1* reviews (should be 0*, but that's not an option. DON"T DO IT.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

The project I funded was closed and the project owners said most of the funds were spent but partial refunds would be given. I never received any refund and all communication on the project stopped 7 months ago. Indiegogo's refund policy makes it so after campaign owners receive their money, they have no liability for what they do with it or if they actually deliver their product.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I have crowdfunded projects several times. However, out of the 2x campaigns I funded on Indiegogo, neither ever sent anything. After 9-12 months, no responses to emails/messages, and no products. Just read the comments. No one gets anything. Save yourself the hassle.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Don't even think about ordering anything from Indiegogo. I ordered something in early Nov 19. Just got it last week - Jul 20. They have no phone numbers. Their communications are all one way - from them to you, and it's always artificially 'happy' news. (I guess from their point of view - they already have your money and haven't delivered what you ordered!) Forget this outfit. Will never, ever use them again.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Please do not buy any product from Indiegogo website or invest any money. These people are totally scam and scam. They are fraud, I have ordered the Volterman wallet in year 2018 and until now they did not delivered to me and many others.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I realize this campaign has run for a while but we (as in all of the backers) have been in touch constantly and inquiring about getting this final product for 3 YEARS. Normally, there is a refund after a year of waiting but not with this. We were promised over and over that this different stages were reached but then many months would go by with no update. Eventually, even after everyone demanded refunds many times, the creator stopped responding altogether. We have all continued to seek answers but the other night I looked up the name Nurugo out of curiosity and the final product for Android is FINISHED and available on several sites including Amazon. That means backers were never updated and never received what they paid for to get the product off the ground. Now the company is making money off our backs and off new customers. It's disgusting.

We are told to contact the creator but they have stopped communication with any of us well over a year ago. There is nowhere to go but to Indiegogo itself and they say it's up to the creator. Normally, it's been a great experience but this one has soured me to everything on the site. Now there feels like there is absolutely no safety net on getting anything I pay for and that defeats the purpose of backing projects. Be careful what you back. Here is a link to the sham I lost money on: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nurugo-smartuv-a-uv-camera-for-smartphones/x/14153336#/ and you can find it on several sites including amazon for about $250 but only for androids. They offered it for iphones as well, which is what I paid for, but when that didn't get accomplished. That's when they disappeared. They never delivered on either, however.

Indiegogo author review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information