2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.61/5

Indiegogo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: April 14, 2021

My wife and I backed a campaign for an electronic ear cleaning device by BeBird / Wenhan Zhang. We didn't realise that BeBird / Wenhan Zhang had already completed a campaign for a similar device, which would have been our first warning... Needless to say, we never received our purchased product, nor did plenty of other backers of that same campaign. BeBird / Wenhan Zhang then proceeded to begin another campaign for an almost identical device.

I contacted Indiegogo about this, and they acknowledged that BeBird / Wenhan Zhang were making campaigns and not fulfilling them, but that Indiegogo would do nothing about this. As per the other reviews on this site, this is not peculiar to this campaign, but instead Indiegogo make their business on allowing fraudulent campaigns and not protecting their clients. I struggle to think of another company who more deserves to be shut down.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I ordered a backpack that was supposed to be 100% guaranteed. However in small print that's only for a few days. By the time it clears your bank the guarantee is expired. I lost $285 to a fraudulent seller. Indiegogo was quick to say to the guarantee was not happening.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Updated on 04/21/2021: This is an UPDATE to my original review: I received the masks... and they are unwearable. Terrible design, too heavy, and won't stay sealed on your face. Ill-fitting, the fan motor is loud, and you can't speak intelligibly in it. The maker, UM Systems, claims to have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee but if you are foolish enough to accept it, it basically says "no refunds" - so, another lie.

Original Review: I contributed to the "UVMask: All-Day, UV-C Air Purification Face Mask" Indiegogo campaign in August 2020, and again in November 2020 for accessories. I know, I know - I feel so stupid just typing that. I have received nothing, and to add insult to injury, I have received dishonest emails from their alleged customer support team. When I pushed for a refund, just to put me off they went so far as to generate a USPS tracking number for my alleged delivery... There is no delivery, just a generated tracking number that is not in the USPS system. Indiegogo and the so-called kickstarted companies and campaigns it funds are fraudulent. I will report these past transactions to my credit card company so they can warn other clients, and I will post these reviews wherever I can.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I paid ~$180 (USD) in July 2020 for two clear masks with a HEPA filter and UV light inside. The maker, Leaf Healthcare, occasionally sent emails over the last 8 months about how the product shipment was right around the corner. I believed them and let Indiegogo's refund deadline pass. If you haven't received a product by just before the refund deadline, get the refund while you still can. Don't believe maker explanations about problems and "progress" that push the shipping date passed IndieGoGo's refund deadline. It's too risky.

Leaf Healthcare instead of shipping the product kept trying to sell tons of accessories through emails containing long lists of chaotic insanely disorganized overlapping options. With each passing month and email update, it seemed more like a scam. Their most recent email notice was that they've started shipping but only to some countries other than the US and Canada, even though Leaf Healthcare resides in the US or Canada. They claimed they started shipping to India, Russia, China, Egypt, Libya, Tanzania, Yemen and South Africa. Such shipping claims are practically unverifiable. I wouldn't be surprised if Leaf Healthcare created bogus donor accounts based in those countries so they can manipulate the responses or they just listed 3rd-world countries in the email even though there aren't donors there.

Also, early after donating, the maker asked all donors to resubmit their shipping and product info through a Google Docs Form even though we donors already gave all that info through IndieGoGo. Like everything on the internet that starts with good intentions and effects, scammers and scoundrels eventually infiltrate and wreck it, making a formerly trustworthy site untrustworthy. That's the case with IndieGoGo, which I liked 6 years ago when I last used them. IndieGoGo still refuses to refund my money. If my credit card company refuses to reverse the charge, I may take IndieGoGo or Leaf Healthcare to small claims court once the pandemic resides, maybe in the Fall.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I contributed to an electric bike campaign in 2019 and the product was promised to ship by January of 2020. Nothing came in January and shortly after the pandemic began, the owners provided updates saying that production has been delayed indefinitely. The last update was 5 months ago in October 2020 and there has been no tangible update on the product. In fact, there is no evidence of product at all. The campaign owners used the virus as an opportunity to take the money and run. $2k down the drain.

What is even worse is that INDIEGOGO has defended these crooks. First off, it is in Indiegogo's TOS that campaign owners must provide updates at least once a month on their campaigns. As reminder, my campaign hasn't seen an update in OVER 5 MONTHS. Additionally, I filed a complaint with my credit card company and the dispute has been challenged because my payment was a contribution to a fundraiser and not a transaction for a product. Indiegogo does nothing to protect the backers of campaigns on their website. I've also gotten in touch with other backers for this campaign and Indiegogo filed a rebuttal to their banks to prevent their disputes from processing.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I've backed three campaigns through Indiegogo. The first one was a cracker (Flare Audio - still use them now). The next two - absolute shambles. Overpriced, poorly made products. The problem is that Indiegogo hold no responsibility for the actions of the developers that use the platform - their only suggestion is "take legal action", which isn't really gonna happen over less than £50. They finish their message off with "Whenever a campaign fails to meet backer expectations, we share in the disappointment of the community. However, we will continue to focus on building better tools and sharing best practices to foster open communication and transparency." In other words, they're going to do absolutely nothing - stay clear!!!

Original review: March 1, 2021

Horrible Horrible customer service! No answer after several times of email! No phone numbers to contact. I ordered mask since July 2020 through Radcliff Health Care but until now nothing came. Scammers for real!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I ordered the system a month ago; never got a confirmation of order, shipping, nor the product! I now see that I am not the only one who has been defrauded. They kept on sending me "no reply" emails. I guess trying to scam more!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Feb 1, 2020 - THEY FAILED to correctly label my shipping address (which I gave them correctly) so the post office sent back to them. April 2020 - I contacted them for an update and they said that they still haven’t received anything from the post office?? May 27 2020 - I requested for a full refund since this pandemic has put a burden financially. Surprisingly, they refused to refund me and said they would re ship and let me know when they do so. So I complained to Indiegogo directly and they are siding with the campaign creators. I then filed a complaint with BBB and they concluded Indiegogo is not at fault and thus closed my case. 2021 - Finally I contacted the contribution creators again today, a year after! and they keep telling me the same thing! “We will follow up regarding reshipping.” And that’s it! The same old response!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

INDIEGOGO is nothing more than a front for stealing your money to "connect" you with "crowdfunding opportunities" that promise products for investment but when they don't deliver Indiegogo shrugs off their responsibilities while taking their cut. When you buy anything the seller is culpable for that sale. Indiegogo suggests that they only sell you the opportunity, though that "opportunity" is for products, if those products that they take money for do not arrive, they must be held accountable for their part. They harbor thieves and therefore must be held accountable as the thieves themselves!

Indiegogo author review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information