1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

68 Indiegogo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I paid $6,500 two years ago for an electric bike. While the money was taken out of my account immediately and although they corresponded with me multiple times a day until I paid since then, zero. The bike was supposed to be delivered in May. When May came around they said July (the bike manufacturer) and then August and then September and now nothing. I can’t get a hold of the manufacturer or Indiegogo.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

It has taken 2 years to get a refund for my MATE S ebike after it failed to meet the specs advertised. It is a substandard product but that does not even begin to describe the experience with this amateur company. They are incredibly incompetent and arrogant. Even now they are trying to make me pay $30 for their own bank charges. The bike is heavy, cheap generic Chinese factory bike, does not meet the claims about distance and battery life, poor build quality. Don't encourage these people - marketing specialists posing as bike enthusiasts.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Expected delivery July 2018 - November 3 Nothing - My Order ID is **. Contributed May 2018. Indiegogo is not concerned or interested if you ever get anything delivered. Most campaigns wait until credit card refund options have expired, so they are free then to just ignore you. My emails to support@mobvoi.com seem to be automatic with no specific details.

"The parcel is under export clearance, and will be released on 2nd November. Please kindly wait patiently. You may contact local post/delivery agent to confirm the current status and delivery schedule. As the parcel is already sent out we may not change the shipping address. You can contact with them and ask them to send it to your daughter's premises. If the logistics website saying the parcel was delivered but you haven't received actually, please claim for lost at the local delivery agent and provide us a claim number from them, we will follow up. As always, thank you for supporting Mobvoi. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. In order to serve you better please participate in the survey below: ** ."

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I funded a campaign two years ago through this company and since then have ceased to receive any information... They kept putting me off and putting me off sending us emails that were all just junk... Lying and lying... This company is only a great way for people to be able to steal your hard earned money. I will never find any campaigns again through them because of this! Campaign I funded costs $300 and I’m sure I’ll never see that or the product ever... Do yourself a favor. Save your hard earned money and don’t trust them. They are non-trustworthy unaccredited company!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Don't ever start a campaign on Indiegogo. We started a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo, a campaign that was in accordance with their terms and conditions. We collected more than 100% of the goal. One day, without any prior notice, all the money returned to the donors. The customer service is of no use, you get only standard responses. It's not a reliable platform, without clear rules and terms, without a working communication department, without a normal customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I wouldn't give Indiegogo any stars if I could. I am out over $800.00 for a bicycle that never came to be. The campaign never delivered and the campaigner walked away with money from many individuals. Indiegogo 'earned' commissions in spite of no products being delivered to backers. They take zero responsibility whether backers get their products or not. Contacted them many times and no help, no refund. Read their agreements carefully. I would never back crowd funding again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased a Travis pocket translator. Or as Indiegogo says "I supported a campaign". No product, No refund. What a ripoff. Maybe you would be better off to buy products from an online retailer. My experience says so.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Beware of Indiegogo, they do not care whether campaigns using their platform are trustworthy. I invested in ritot projector watch about 5 yrs ago. And even now the creators haven't come close to making anything. They put out announcements explaining what they will do but never show any actual product. When you complain to Indiegogo they say they are pleased the campaign is communicating with backers. IndieGoGo are willfully blind to scams on their platform.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Before purchasing anything from Indiegogo, you need to realize that they take zero responsibility for the campaigns on their site. They can't guarantee that you'll ever receive what you order, so there's no accountability. I contributed to the GoBout campaign in August 2017. It sounded like a good way to keep all your lotions/liquids/shampoo/etc. in one handy dispenser. It wasn't cheap, but it seemed worth the price. At that time, the product was promised to be delivered in early December of 2017. I finally received the product in May 2018, more than five months later than promised. It didn't work. The creator then posted that the dispensers in the product didn't work with lotions, shampoos, conditioners, etc. (which is exactly what the product was supposed to be designed for), so they were redesigning and promised a version that would actually work.

It is now October 2018, more than a year after I placed my order, and I still haven't received a working product. It sounds like most people who placed orders never received anything (I guess they stopped shipping the failed version). The creator of this product is absolutely terrible at communicating, and Indiegogo provides zero support. When contacted, they only say that they are not responsible for making sure that products are actually delivered. They tell you to contact the seller, which isn't at all useful when the seller never responds. I'm never backing another Indiegogo product again, and I recommend proceeding with caution if you're considering doing so.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Supposed to ship on Jul 2018, but, no shipment. Indiegogo don't accept refund. Consigner said goods ready on 12 Sep, but, finally out of order. Again, no refund allowed. Ticwatch asked me to wait the good receive, then, return, then I can get refund. But, I receive nothing. Ticwatch said the refund is possible if Indiegogo resume refund icon. But, Indiegogo reject. Both of them are pushing the balls. Shamed to them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I am participating in what now seems to be a 1 million dollar scam, the N-Tech 4k projector project. Every time this project is missing its projected finishing- and delivery dates, now even the times set by Indiegogo where project owners are expected to give updates to their backers, Indiegogo's reply is: "Thanks for writing in, and I’m sorry for the frustrating experience. Perks are offers made and managed solely by campaigners. Indiegogo does not guarantee that campaigns will succeed or that perks will be delivered. However, campaigners are expected to be communicative and responsive to their backers."

This is 1 million dollar **, made possible by Indiegogo. A warning to all who want to support projects, there is no buyer protection whatsoever on Indiegogo. There is even no support at all besides pre-cooked answers, everyone just gets the same answer over and over, whatever question you ask. I got the same pre-cooked copy/paste from several employees now, and they are not even addressing the questions asked. What a disgusting company.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have contributed in eye-smart case for iPhone on May 2017 and the company promised to deliver product on September 2017. From April 2017 till now they just update every now and then, we are trying to figure out a production company in China. I have contacted several time with Indiegogo and the company but they will not refund my money and always answer me the same thing. No refund. I have lost 250 Euro for this project. Is there any way that we can shot down this scam platform? Indiegogo?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have ordered a smart wallet from the Indiegogo company since December of the last year. It been 9 months and still haven't received my order yet, this is just scam, never order from them. They are terrible. Don't let them steal money... Scam, Scam.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

They have awful customer service. No phone number or call possible! Just emailing through their system and sometimes it gets 7 days to get back to you. And they just send you automatic answers from their FAQ rather than helping you specifically. Not good at all for a 21st century tech company. They have super inconvenient way of releasing fund to non-profits. They ask you to enter personal Social Security Number of a person in charge at the organization. Not convenient at all and not legitimate. They say they want that info to verify the legitimacy of the organization even if the name of that person is not associated with the bank account of the organization. With all the identity theft going on, it’s almost impossible to convince someone to put their SSN in their system while it’s not necessary. They can easily verify a non-profit’s legitimacy by their EIN number and bank account info.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have contacted Indiegogo multiple times for company not delivering products. They do not care whether you receive the product or not. Stay away from this company do not pay for anything. If you email the company you purchased the product from for answers you will not receive email back. I have lost so much money. I hope an attorney looks at this company’s business practice and files class action lawsuit. Lot of people will join this lawsuit.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Indiegogo does not care or take action if you don't receive the goods you paid for. Campaigners can do what they want. Indiegogo lets them violate their terms of use and does not even step in or take action against campaigners who take your money but never deliver the product. Stay away from Indiegogo!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Campaigner Smarcicle and Sonicsoak - They are professional robbers. As many, I have invested a lot of money and so far no products. This company should be shut it down and I’m doing what I can and get my money back. You should also do the same. We can’t leave them out there robbing people as they have done with us. It’s a scam that needs to be stopped!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I ordered an electric wheel for my bike called "EvoWheel" - turns out it should have been called "Evilwheel". Anyway, after 10 fake updates on Indiegogo, the company website disappeared, http://www.evowheel.bike/ and they failed to respond to my facebook messages, Indiegogo messages and my emails. Over 40 comments with the same experience on the Indiegogo page and the campaign contributions were at $76000 - aka Scam already worth $76000. Indiegogo had been notified by multiple backers at that time already, but I added my name to the list and was less than impressed with the reply.

They did not address the fact that the campaign was highlighted as an "Indiegogo Favourite" ** and since then, the campaign is now a scam of $96000... Indiegogo put no hold on contributions, thus allowing more people to be scammed out of money. Indiegogo has left consumers to do all of the investigating without any support and here I am adding to the many reviews that concur with my deduction... COMPLICIT.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We as a family saved up 1000.00 to get this bicycle for our kids that would make it safe to take them around. It was funded and now it’s been a year and no bike. They took our money and our trust. My kids are disappointed. I’m embarrassed for losing all the money. Now we have to file a court lawsuit? What kind of company is allowed this? Take some responsibility Indiegogo and fight for your customers. We need that money back. We worked hard for it, unlike you and your campaign scammers. Never again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Over the years I've invested in about 16 projects on Indiegogo. Of that 6 have never materialized, and turned out to be by serial scammers. Indiegogo didn't ever seem to care about this. They ignore every mail sent to them by me and thousands of other frustrated contributors. Of the remaining items, 6 of them were essentially cheap rubbish, not worth the contribution. The other 5 were decent products, a couple of which were very good. By comparison, of 21 items I've contributed to on Kickstarter, all have arrived, and been mostly excellent. Indiegogo is happy to take their cut, but really don't care if you ever get the item, or if it's any good. Pretty sad really. I shall not be using them again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

RIP OFF SCAM! I waited a year and a half for the product I paid a lot of money for that I to this day have not received 2 years later! THEY DO NOT REFUND OR make the people refund you if they do not ship out the product. Trust me and don’t fall for this site. They are scammers. I reached out to support multiple times and the campaign backer! They are nothing but thieves! Don’t use!

Original review: June 7, 2018

There is zero security as far as where your money actually goes! Sonic Soak stated production was already complete when it was never started. You get zero help from INDIEGOGO when you're supposed to have received your item in December 2017, & now it's mid June 2018, & they have no concrete answers for anything! Just one big run-around! INDIEGOGO claims that it's not their problem if we pay for something & never receive it. This entire circus is one big scam! I'm deleting anything associated with INDIEGOGO! I just wish I would've known what a complete joke & scam this was from the beginning! How it's legal to allow this company to even operate online to the public is baffling! What does it take, & how much money needs to get stolen from innocent people before something is done, & they are shut down??

Original review: June 5, 2018

I had a campaign on Indiegogo and they told me they disbursed to my bank. Well days later, no money. So I called my bank and they have no record whatsoever of Indiegogo contacting them. Indiegogo claims that I input my bank numbers wrong - which I did not. My bank has 2 routing numbers, either one works. Then they said when they get the money back from the bank, I'll be able to resubmit my info!!! And then it takes an additional 9 days! Huh??? How can my bank return funds that they never received? Indiegogo is a freakin' scam and I will do everything I can to let others know how horrible they are. I should have known better than to do business with a company that has no phone support. No corporate working number. No business doing business with anyone. Do not do business with this scam organization. They are B.S..

Resolution response: June 5, 2018

I heard from SmartDuvet right after posting this review. They addressed my issues and it appears things are back on track. I will update as things move along. At this point I feel they have redeemed themselves.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I backed a campaign for a SmartDuvet on IndieGoGo and paid $233 on 10/15/2017. They now are not answering my emails and have me listed as never having donated. They have moved to InDemand. Please be aware of this company and what they do to their backers. Beyond disappointed. I would be very wary of making any donations on IndieGoGo in general. Buyer Beware!

Original review: June 2, 2018

One of the campaigns I became part of and purchased their perk was a scam. Campaigner no longer answers emails or queries for almost a year. No perk purchased was ever received. Indiegogo support refuses to help and tells me to contact campaigner who they KNOW won't answer. I keep getting boilerplate responses from support.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This website is open to scam projects. They are not able to protect you from sending your money to scam campaign owners. I donated a project and never received the item. Indiegogo was only able to send me an email to campaign owner. They will not even try to get your money back. Since you pay directly to Indiegogo as "donation for project" and then they send the money to scam campaign owners, you are not even able to get your money back with chargeback. Just go for more solid site. This is scam paradise.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Aircon Watch - I ordered this watch in December 2017, it is now April 2018. I did not get the watch or a letter back to when it will be shipped. I am starting to think this is a scam. I will wait a little longer for a letter from Indiegogo.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Indiegogo Pebby Pack - This site is a scam! I've messaged them several times about the status of my order or a refund with the insane delay. I've have never received a response in 7 months. Lost $200, probably will never see what I ordered... They should have a lawsuit filed against this ** scam company!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Really not user friendly. Really not accountable service. Impossible to delete an account once it's open. A lot of technical issues with pictures. Don't pick INDIEGOGO if you're looking for funding for a film... just go anywhere else.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I lost over 500 USD in 2 campaigns I backed. The creators simply disappeared with all the money and Indiegogo was only able to send them an email to remind them of their responsibilities. They don't care at all about the customers and even with several people complaining about the scams you can still buy both products on the website. Had same issue with a similar site. Stay away from these startup supporter companies, wait for the product to be in Amazon.

Indiegogo expert review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

• Best for: Indiegogo suits individuals with personal funding needs, social impact campaigners funding causes, businesses looking to launch or grow and creative types working on an artistic project.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information