2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.41/5

Indiegogo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indiegogo?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Terrible communication, no support on website, no answers! The entire experience is designed to make you feel like you're getting in on the ground floor of a product development but you could do better waiting for things to hit the open market. I ordered two face masks in June 2020 for August delivery from Redcliffe Healthcare and on January 15, 2021 I still have nothing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Indiegogo does not enforce its own Terms of Use, which allows thieves and fraudsters to operate with impunity. It will NOT answer pleas of help from those who have been defrauded. It just sends form letter replies a few times, then blocks the victim's email from contacting them. Most of the projects on Indiegogo are cheap Chinese junk already on the market and repackaged as a crowdfunding campaign. None of the 4 projects I backed resulted in a useable product and one has been an outright fraud. Nine out of ten Indiegogo projects fail. I never advocate for government interference into commerce, but something has to be done.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Facebook provided the platform and I thought I purchased a product. It was paid for and 2 months later nothing delivered, no order #, no customer support, website takes questions but replies are from some Chinese guy with cookie-cutter response. I hope cc companies tag these guys and stop fb, stop giving these scammers a platform. Don’t go near this company.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

If it looks like a store... acts like a store... sends me a newsletter like a store... it must... not be a store? I’ve been scammed by this company, a number of times. How do they get away with it? Well they make the entire process feel like a store, but they change the purchase button to a back button and somehow that absolves them of all responsibility. Then they find a bunch of flashy marketing students to over promise and under deliver products or not deliver products at all... and they take their commission and laugh. Don’t use this site. You're better off trying to win the big prize at the fair playing ring toss... May the odds be forever in your favour.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Worst experience! I have used Indiegogo to back this Volterman wallet project, which never received for past 3 years they have been kept us waiting. Now they removed the campaign page too. They never sent any products or return their money. Indiegogo has been supporting this company for very long time even after so many complaints. Not sure if we should trust Indiegogo. Maybe FCA should look up into them too.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I am a campaigner on Indiegogo. My campaign ended over a month ago. I was expected to get my pay-out over a month ago. I didn't want to make my backers wait, so I paid out of pocket expecting issues to be resolved within one week. I even sent them a void cheque to make sure they had all the information they could possibly need.

One month later, no one has given me any answers. I have to submit a new ticket to get the same response every time, and no one is giving me a solution that gets me my money! At this point I am receiving interest fees on the money I paid out-of-pocket because of the companies inability to function. I tried calling the customer service phone number on Google, and all it says is to call 'Customer Service' before hanging up. I am beyond frustrated with this company!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

This company is a total scam. I contributed to 2 projects to obtain custom made face masks to protect me from Covid-19 virus. $500 down the drain and I never received a thing! You have to be a pretty heartless company to cheat people during a pandemic. The company founders are typical Silicon Valley tech scumbags.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Backed a project, they said they won't ship to Hawaii then they said they would give me a refund. After checking in over 3 weeks they said they gave me a refund repeatedly. After showing them they didn't they claimed Indiegogo gives the refund not them, indiegogo says the merchant gives the refund not them. I disputed the transaction with my credit card and 2 months later the credit card reversed the charge back stating indiegogo told them since they say it's all for donations they don't have to give refunds. Despite having emails stating they would give me a refund nobody associated with this mess will. These people allow scammers, or perhaps are in on the scams themselves. Now I am out over 500 bucks...

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

There is no accountability by Indiegogo for campaign owner actions. I spent a large sum of money to back a campaign with the promise of receiving high quality earbuds. After a number of issues with the campaign owner responding to inquiries about delayed and missing items, I tried contacting Indiegogo directly about the issues I (and many others evidenced by the numerous comments on the campaign page). They did nothing to help. Now I am out the money with nothing but wasted time and frustration to show for it. Do not give money to any Indiegogo campaigns, because the campaign owners and Indiegogo won't deliver.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I backed Indiegogo’s endorsed developer Leaf Mask. The company has vaporized after collecting 4.4 million dollars. No word, no communication. This is not a failed product, it’s a deliberate scam. Etherical business address, and no communication. Five months past projected shipping. Vapor. I would recommend staying away from Indiegogo altogether.

Indiegogo author review by Rose Spinelli

Indiegogo, which started in 2008, was the first crowdfunding platform to hit the Internet. It has had a global reach from its onset, with people in at least 224 countries and territories now creating campaigns. Potential donors choose from categories that include writing, politics, small business, comic and animals, as well as an extensive list of subcategories.

• Small businesses: This crowdfunding platform helps businesses get started or expand on existing project ideas. It uses rewards, sometimes tangible but not always, to motivate donors.

• Specialized campaigns: Indiegogo’s Partner Page allows approved campaigns to raise tax-deductible funds and campaigns for beneficiaries, such as charity, with that charity’s approval. Indiegogo Life allows fundraising for personal causes, such as medical emergencies and paying for a wedding. Indiegogo Generosity is their no-fee platform for worthy causes. Indiegogo On Demand allows successful campaigns to continue to raise funds beyond the life of the original campaign.

• Fees: Indiegogo takes 5 percent of each donation. Third-party processors such as PayPal and Stripe charge additional fees. Occasionally contributors may be charged additional international processing fees.

• Fixed and flexible funding: Users choose whether they want their donors to get their money back if a campaign doesn't meet its fundraising goal or to keep it regardless of whether the goal is met or not.

• Customer support: Indiegogo promises responses within 24 hours of filling out its online contact form.

• Gogofactor: Indiegogo employs an algorithm that helps campaigns achieve greater visibility. The site offers a series of tips to help campaigners boost their Gogofactor, ensuring those who care about their project have a better chance of finding them.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

Indiegogo Company Information