Call toll free
4.78/5
Based on 102 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Host Merchant Services offers a wide array of services that can help you enhance your business today. From payment processing and point of sale, to business financing and business tools, Host Merchant Services is your one provider for all your business needs. When you sign up with us, you can rest assured that you are obtaining the best price and best customer service. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

102 Host Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Host Merchant Services came up on Google and they had good reviews. The experience with them has been wonderful but it was awful with the company they sent us to for audit. Nevertheless, the customer service has been great and currently, we have been using Host Merchant to process payments through a machine. It's a Verifone and we use it every day and so far, it has been very good.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I used another credit card processing company in 2006 but their fees kept going up very arbitrarily and with no warning. And when they switched over to the chip-enabled cards, knowing that I was requesting phone connectivity, they sent me internet-connective terminals. I had to manually reset them over time. Aside from that, we had a lightning strike and they insisted that the problem wasn't with the terminals. They said it was the phone line when none of the terminals would work. And I spent four days on the phone with them trying to get them to recognize that their terminals didn't work. It was a nightmare for the past year, so I gave up. I went online, looked at comparisons of merchant service accounts processing, and Host Merchant Services was among the top five. I reached out to all five of them and Host Merchant Services was the most flexible of the five. So, I went with them.

So far, I love Host Merchant. I have a swiper of inserted chip card to terminal and it's very easy to use. In fact, I haven't heard any complaints from the clinicians who worked in the practice. I started using their service at the end of August with one terminal, then I added two more terminals in November. Occasionally, we got settlements that didn't go through but we've been told that it was because the phone line was not appropriately configured at that time. So, we just had to do it again and it usually worked the second time.

I've had some conversations with three people at Host Merchant when they helped me configure the terminal or how to use it at the beginning and our interaction was fine. I've also spoken with their rep, Cameron, a couple of times via a chat or email about ordering credit card terminals and fees and he's been quite responsive to everything that I've asked. He was also very quick and very accommodating. Then, when I paid my bill for the credit card terminals I've purchased, I spoke with a woman. I gave her my credit card information over the phone and that went perfectly fine, too. Host Merchant should keep doing what they're doing. It's great.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Based on the research of the person before me, Host Merchant Services was the best. We’ve been working with them for a month and they are more reliable. I can get to them quicker than the previous processor through email and the replies are very prompt. The representatives are super friendly and they always respond to my email but we’re still getting used to using them.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We were checking around on the internet on the different companies to use based on reviews. Host Merchant Services said they have no contract and that was a big one. Also, their reviews were strong overall and their rates were good. They have no equipment charge and that was really good too. Everything there seemed like the right way to go. We've been using Host Merchant for a couple of weeks now and everything seems to be working fine so far. We process payments with a card swipe on a regular terminal. Our interactions with the people there have been good.

Hi Jay!

We're so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience with us! Our team works diligently to supply a high level of service and customer satisfaction so I am excited to pass along your kind words to them. Thank you again and, as always, if you need anything at all please don't hesitate to contact us!

The HMS Team

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Host Merchant Services was attached to the software program that we use for billing. When we initially set up the service, we spoke with their reps and our interaction with them was good. So far, we use a web service to process credit cards and the product is pretty easy to use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I received a soliciting email on Host Merchant Services asking me to compare prices, and I did. Because of that price comparison I decided to go ahead with them, and also because of the fact that the batching could occur and have the funds available the next day. My experience with them has been very positive for the most part. But I did have one negative experience. I had a terminal from another company that I was completely happy with, but Host Merchant wasn't able to work with that so I agreed to receive their terminal at no cost. But when I received it, I didn't realize it was a refurb, and it was not acceptable. It was dirty and it needed to be replaced. But they replaced it quickly, so they resolved the problem. So far things are looking good.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We've been working with Host Merchant Services for two and a half months now and their service has been excellent. We're 100% satisfied. I heard of them via word-of-mouth and when I called them, it was a smooth operation. We use the regular terminal and the machine works very well. Also, they are a local company here and it's convenient since they're very near from where we are.

Host Merchant Services response

Hi Jayesh! We're so happy you are enjoying your experience with us! We work hard to make sure our merchants are happy. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything!

John B

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We were using a different company and their rates seemed a little bit too high. Host Merchant Services' rates were better. They also provided the equipment or rent it so it has made it really easy. We have a regular terminal and it has wires that go into the phone line. When we were signing up and started using the payments, what our clients were doing was bigger than what Host Merchant Services expected. They had to stop our services and hold funds until they sent an inspector to make sure that we’re a real business and not doing money laundering. Other than that, we've been using them for two months now and the service so far has been good.

We receive a paper statement at the end of the month, which is good. But I would like to see if there was any way to look up transactions online so we can see which transactions were run, how the card processing was and the fees that were taken. Other than that, I was very satisfied with how they answered my questions if there was any and the machine is working well. Everything is going very smoothly.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We did a lot of research online with different companies and looked at customer reviews. Host Merchant Services customer reviews seemed pretty good, so we gave them a call. Their pricing was reasonable too. We process the payments through a regular terminal. This would be our second month with Host Merchant, and the service is working well so far. The first couple of days though, the system wasn’t receiving our payments, so we called them. It was just a thing where if you’re a customer, they put it on hold for a couple of days but we had that cleared up. We called them, and they sent what we needed. There was no hassle. Also when I call they seem like they care. Host Merchant has friendly customer service people who listen to what we’re saying and take care of the issues within minutes.

Resolution response: Aug. 7, 2018

HMS followed up and removed the credit card processor requiring the set-up fees. They also offered a "Visa-only" solution w/o set-up fees.

Original review: July 10, 2018

After reading quite a few positive reviews of HMS & researching their site, I decided to apply for a merchant services account through them. I am in the process of launching a CBD ecommerce site and CBD is considered a "high-risk" in merchant service provider circles. HMS is promoted as high-risk friendly. The HMS site states on the homepage that there are no application, set-up, or hidden fees. This was the deciding factor to me since these fees are common when dealing with high-risk merchant service providers.

When I received the application from HMS, I was surprised to see the following fees: AVPS Mth C/S Fee: $32.95. Application Fee: $50.00. Set-Up Fee: $450.00. I called the agent I was working with who explained these were another entity's fees, & not HMS'. This is contrary to the claims of no application, or set-up fees, and although not hidden, the "AVPS Mth C/S Fee" is also questionable.

The bottom line here is that for a high-risk merchant service provider, HMS' claims on no application or set-up fees is not only deceptive but altogether false. I personally question a company's integrity when I encounter false claims. If they lie once, they'll do it again. I would not recommend this company to anyone regardless if they are a high risk merchant or not. HMS has no integrity in my experience.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Host Merchant Services provides excellent customer service, answers questions thoroughly, and quickly responds to emails. Highly recommended. Also, Allison ** was the person who helped me through the process. To me, she is the representative of the company, so I see this company as kind, professional, eager to answer questions, friendly, caring and loyal to its customers.

Hi Krystal,

Thank you so much for your great review! We love hearing from all of our happy merchants! I will also make sure Allison is recognized for her high level of service! Don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything!!!

John Burns

Original review: June 1, 2018

When I became an HMS customer I was first starting my business. My business was classified as "high risk" due to the fact I was buying and selling guns, ammo, etc. Many point of sale services wouldn't help or even give me a chance. Then I found Host Merchant Services and they turned a nightmare situation into a pleasant one. Any time I had a question or was confused on a matter my HMS representatives (Allison ** and Danielle **) were right there ready to help and took a sincere interest in my businesses well being. They were very patient with me and helped me understand how to operate my equipment. If a problem arose they helped me find the proper solution and get it resolved efficiently. Both representatives were courteous and professional standing as shining examples of what we all should strive to be in our jobs.

HMS is a great company that treated me fair in all aspects. The staff goes above and beyond to help their customers. I highly recommend HMS to anyone who is looking for a company to help them set up a point of sale for their business. If I ever need to set up another point of sale for another business I will call HMS immediately and without hesitation. Thank you Danielle and Allison, Y'all are the best. Thank you Host Merchant Services.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Host Merchant Services had good programs in place for a company like ours that needed something that could process credit cards. Up to this point, all we process are checks, so it's gonna make it a lot easier for us to be able to process credit cards. Mostly, our payments are processed online. We've had Merchant for two weeks now and it works really well. They set up a program for sending out invoices that have links where people can easily go through the invoice, enter their information and pay for it. The invoice takes care of itself, so we really don’t have to do too much on our end. We also have a mobile swiper if anyone prefers to make payments in person.

The team at Host Merchant were great. They were helpful anytime we had questions and I could reach out to them and they would quickly help us out. We’ve been really happy with the experience so far and I’m definitely going to use them for the other businesses that I’m working on as well. Host Merchant Services has a bunch of different products, so there’s definitely something that will work for any companies' specific needs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

There was a guy who was telling me that he could charge me at an extremely lower rate for all types of cards. And as time went on, it was becoming more apparent that the guy was just blowing smoke at me. I started doing my internet research and Host Merchant Services had a really professional-looking website that explained the rate better, so I called and talked to Cameron, and we decided to go with them. Cameron was really easy to talk to and he gave me a good answer to the questions I had.

It's my first month with Host Merchant, and I kinda rushed them to get me hooked up so that I could invoice from the 30th. My payments are coming through my wiki.transactionexpress website. I wanted a professional looking “pay now” button on my website, and Host Merchant's service has been good so far although there has been a couple of bumps. It looks like I'm getting paid in full and then charged for merchant's fees later. Also, the VT Transaction Express template was not allowing me to upload my own logo to personalize the 'pay now' page. It was kind of a continuous problem. The Transaction Express website is not ideal. It could be a little easier to use. I finally broke down and asked for help with it. There was a tech-oriented guy who was with them, and I was told to send them my logo file and he'd get it uploaded for me. They created the page for me.

Host Merchant was charging a fair equal amount of money over the cost of interchange rate, whether that's the reduced regulated debit rate or credit card. And I know what I'm getting because they make the information clear. Out of all the companies I looked at, Host Merchant looked the best for me. And I had a good rapport with, Cameron, the first person I spoke to also. So between the interaction on the first person who answered the phone and the clarity of the information, they're hands down the best up to this point. And I'd be sticking with them unless they really screw something up badly, but I got a good feeling that they'll work hard at keeping my business.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My business falls into a high-risk category ‘cause I do an online subscription business. I use PayPal and credit card to process payments and it’s all 100% online. And then I was looking for a high-risk credit card processing provider. Initially, I was doing a set up with another company and I was able to set up with them quicker, but I ended up with Host Merchant Services because the bank that they were able to set up was a better fit. Also, they seemed to have really good reviews and then their website was easy to get in contact with the sales rep.

Though the sales rep that I got set up with was helpful, it oftentimes would take more than a full business day for that sales rep to get back to me every time I had a question, which delayed the process more than it needed to. Though one time, when I was trying to get a question answered that same day but couldn’t hear back from them, I called in their general number and I was able to get help. They were able to solve my questions, the rate seemed good, and the company was easy to work with. It took a little bit to get everything set up, but there was just a lot of pieces to it, and it had been working great so far. I have been working with Host Merchant for two months and now that my website is set up to collect payments, I just use an online customer portal for the bank I’m set up with and check that once in a while.

Original review: March 18, 2018

My wife uses Host Merchant Services and we got them about three weeks ago. We typically processes payments via credit card and the system has been good. It's fast and I use it every day for the merchant service. I use it anywhere from 3 to 10 times a day. The only thing I don’t like is it batches out on Friday but one doesn’t get paid until Tuesday. Other than that, customer service has been great. The service is quick and I am very satisfied. I'd tell friends to go ahead with it.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I did some online search and found good reviews for Host Merchant Services. We process payments through a regular terminal, and if a customer needs to charge something, I just go to the card. The machine is doing good and we've been with Host Merchant Services for just a few months.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was looking for merchant companies that had excellent reviews for service and Host Merchant Services came up among the top choices. We've been working with Host Merchant for two months now. We haven't received any machines from them and we're still using the same POS system, but their service has been very good. We process payments through the regular POS. I've talked with the customer service reps a couple of times and they were very quick, and they seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I appreciated mostly how prompt they were in acting on issues. They answered the phone and there were not many automated runabouts to get to talk to somebody. Host Merchant could help me with a chip card reader, but otherwise I'm happy. Their customer service is excellent and they're very competitive with their rates.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I liked Host Merchant's sales rep and what she had to say. They did Interchange Plus which was what I wanted. The pricing was good and the features included invoicing, mobile swiping as well as virtual terminals. We mainly use the virtual terminal to process payments, but I will do some mobile swiping and sometimes invoicing if the client prefers it.

We've been with them for about a month and everything has been good. They respond immediately and I've received nice technical support from Daniel. She answers on the second ring every time and has been very helpful. However, I hit a snag with my cell phone. It’s a newer model and their mobile swipers are not compatible with it. They’re supposed to get a new one out in a few months and, hopefully, it will work with my phone. In the interim, they sent me a virtual terminal at no charge which was a great help in being able to do the person-to-person type of transactions. I’m happy with them so far. Host Merchant Services is a good bet and they stand behind their product. I recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I wanted to leave the place I was with and Host Merchant Services has a good review. Our company sells spare parts to large companies and our clients give us their credit card number over the phone then I process it online. But we don’t have any cards ever. We've been with Host since January 1st and I’ve only had to process one card so far. I was able to process that one online and it was very easy. I needed help logging in for the first time. But right away, Danielle was able to help me and she got me the ID. The customer service has been very good. If I have any questions, I send an email and Danielle or Allison calls me right away. Right from the first time when I called to get pricing, they’ve been really helpful. I would definitely recommend Host Merchant Services and tell others to give them a try.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I read the reviews online and they said Host Merchant Services was good. I was looking for any credit card company that I could get because mine screwed up. Our terminal went down and my credit card company said it’d be three or four weeks before they could get me another terminal. I had 25 credit cards coming in a day and I had to find a way to get somebody that could overnight one to me, and Host Merchant Services did. I’ve been working with them for a couple of months and it’s been working great. I like their service. We process the payments with the Merchant credit card terminal and they go straight to the bank. We haven’t had any problems with it and I’d tell others to give Host Merchant Services a try.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Host Merchant Services had good reviews and after I made the phone call, it seemed like they were a good company to work with. Payments go through our POS system, some over the phone and a few on the internet. And we have a swiper that we use to process Cash and Carry ORs from the walk-in traffic coming to our retail store. The system is working fine and the fees in comparison to the program that we're on is a bit less. I called yesterday to resolve an issue and the people at Host Merchant Services were very positive, and they quickly went over setting things up. I've been very satisfied so far.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have a software developing company for our business. In order to run the business through the software company, we have to go through Host Merchant Services. The service has been very good. We use it daily to process memberships and point of sales. We process payments either through the terminal or online.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I was having a little bit of trouble finding a good company. I researched and it looked like Host Merchant Services was a good fit. My experience with them has been great so far. Their customer service has been awesome. The rep that I had was always timely and knowledgeable. He walked me through all the questions I had, stayed on top of everything, and helped me out a great deal. There was one question he didn't know the answer to and he reached out to their acquiring bank and got me an answer in a couple of hours. I also got everything done in a timely fashion. We are a service-based business which operates in all 50 states and we use their software services, which is an authorized web portal that we log into. There, we enter a pin and phone to create the profile. It is like a MO/TO terminal. Anyone considering a new merchant processor should definitely reach out to Host Merchant Services.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I'm still in the beginning stages with Host Merchant Services and Allison and Danielle helped me a lot in setting up my wallet. They've been great. But I wish things like passwords were a little simpler to get in. For security purposes, it was built the way that it is, but there are a few different sites you have to use to check your transactions, credit card information, and the wallet. I wish everything is on one website, and that it is easier to read and understand and not so diagnostic. Their service machine works well, though. I'm a hairstylist so I just swipe payments through the credit card processor on my phone. Host Merchant has cheaper rates, too.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

We run credit cards with one of our banks and it was costing too much. So we needed a new credit card company and Host Merchant just had good reviews. We're a small business and they did a lot of small business works. We have been with Host Merchant for six months and dealing with them was easy. They sent us a machine out, had it all set up and it's ready to go. All we did was just plug it in. We didn’t have a lot of set up process work for it. We love it so far.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Host Merchant Services is certainly better than PayPal. I had examined a whole bunch of companies online and found Host Merchant's prices to be the best for our nonprofit company. My initial contact was very good. The rest was through email, and it went okay, too. We have an online virtual terminal and it is working very well, however, my experience with it has been so easy that I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I marked my first transaction as retail when it should have been MO/TO. But then, I've looked up the definitions, and I'm getting it right. So, we're off to a slower start until our customers realize that we can do credit cards. And hopefully, it will pick up this next year.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Host Merchant Services has a good reputation for taking care of people. I've been with them for 30 days now and their customer service has been really helpful. However, I am not a big fan of their POS system. I use it about 30 times a day to swipe numbers and put people's info in. The roller paper is too small, it doesn't have a keypad, and it's difficult to use in my location. Other than that, Host Merchant is okay and I'd tell others to take a look at them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Host Merchant Services is an authorized merchant for the POS system that we purchased. We filled up the application and they approved us. We got an online POS system. People buy things on our website, and sometimes, they'll call over the phone to place orders. Host Merchant Services processes the cards that we run and we haven't had anything negative. They're a reliable company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago and I accepted them because of lower fees. We process payments through a terminal and when we needed a mobile credit card machine, they supplied one at no charge. The customer service is always pleasant too. I've been pleased with Host Merchant Services ever since I hooked up with them five years ago and I have recommended new customers to them.

Host Merchant Services Company Information