4.79/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Host Merchant Services

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Host Merchant Services offers a wide array of services that can help you enhance your business today. From payment processing and point of sale, to business financing and business tools, Host Merchant Services is your one provider for all your business needs. When you sign up with us, you can rest assured that you are obtaining the best price and best customer service. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 14, 2017

58 Host Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Host Merchant Services was recommended to us and we’ve been with them for a couple of months. We process payments using the internet and a local terminal. A card comes in and you swipe it. The machine has been working fine.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Host Merchant's customer service and price are good but every time I wake up in the morning, I feel like it should be better. But I'm happy with the service. I have a regular terminal through a phone line and it's working fine. The customer service people have all been positive as long as this chargeback that I just got for the first one in three years gets taken care of and I get the money back in my account. I've never had a chargeback that's credited against me. But this was for some crazy reason that has something to do with a chip card. It was a fraudulent card and they approved it, so that shouldn't be my headache. The 29th had passed and it was the date the information had to get put in there. But Tom helped me out and he took care of it for me.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I’ve been working with Host Merchant Services for just a few weeks and they’re awesome. I just did a Google search and went with one that had a lot of good ratings, and I ended up with them. Their reps would respond right away and they've been extremely helpful. They answered every question and they helped me by walking me through everything. I process payments through credit card machine and so far, it's working good. I interact with the product every other sale, it's hit or miss. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience working with them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was looking for a better deal than what I was using at the moment and learned about Host Merchant Services. Aside from the price the gentleman that I talked to from Host Merchant Services was very nice so I went with them. We’ve been with them for three years now and customer service has been very helpful. We process payments using the terminals and the machines are working fine.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Host Merchant Services had good feedback when I researched about them online, so I decided to give them a chance. They have low fees and they were really easy to deal with. I got a card reader here and I've had them for about a year and a half to two years. I use the machine every other day because cards are minority part of my business but some people have to run cards. Then they take money out of my account every month for their fees.

When I had an issue, Host Merchant Services led me through it. They were very knowledgeable with their diagnostics and their service was very quick. They told me that my ISP is down and that I have to call my service provider, which I did. Then I called Host Merchant Services back to get the system back up and running. It's all smooth and problem-free transfer data with them. Everything works and I don't even realize that I'm with them until I see my charge every month. There are no hidden fees or anything of that nature as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We were looking for a new provider, did some research and looked around at the different pricing, then we decided to go with Host Merchant Services. We’ve had them for about three years now and our services have been working fine. Our daily interaction with the product is all done via the internet. and almost all payments are done automatically through the website using Authorize.Net. Host Merchant is a reliable and efficient company.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Like all the credit card processors, I felt like I was overpaying. I then reached out to Host Merchant Services one or two weeks ago and they quoted me a good price. Their process was okay and somebody helped us in getting things set up. So far, so good.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I've been doing business with Host Merchant Services and we have a credit card machine that's been upgraded three times since 2012. They saved me money and it included the equipment so I didn't have to lease anything from First Data. They were very responsive, I had help within the day. If they can't do it over the phone with me, somebody will come and fix it. I was very close to them when I signed up in 2012 and even though I moved to a different city, they gave me great service. Their technical support, Ken, is great and helped me out. I’ve had one or two issues and when I'm upgrading from one machine to another and they provided me at no extra charge. Host Merchant Services is a great company to work with. They’re effective and I didn’t feel they were high pressure. I still have people come in and call everyday, tell me they can save me money but nobody's ever been able to put it in writing so I'm very happy.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Host Merchant Services was one of two names given to me and I researched online and they had a better rating than the other company. They processed me when others wouldn’t. And the procedure was two months offer for processing time than the other people I’ve been trying to call. Our Host Merchant is for a new website. So that’s going to be a brand new procedure for us. We do wholesale and retail on that website. Hopefully, we’ll have sales every day on it. We’ve been working with them for two weeks and so far, so good. The customer service rep I’m working with is Allison and she’s incredible and very responsible. It was a fantastic experience.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me through the website developers and they had better rates compared to other merchant services. I've had them for a couple of years now and processing things online has been good which I do on a monthly basis. It was a good experience overall.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago. They walked in and that’s how I knew they were a local company. The good thing about that is there is no contract. I can leave anytime I want with no fees for the terminals. If anything happens, they reach out to me within an hour and I don’t think any company can provide that type of service. I use the terminals every day and they are perfect. Everything is good with the customer service and they are just one phone call away. They’re very helpful people. I’ve been in the retail business for 20 years and this is probably one of the best companies I’ve ever been with. A lot of people want my business and for me to leave Host Merchant Services, but they haven’t given me a reason for me to leave them. They are convenient and they have the best service, competitive rates and free paper.

Original review: July 15, 2017

We got a letter from the merchant services company we were previously using. They wanted us to pay over $1,000 for a new machine so people could use the chip instead of the swipe method for debit and credit cards, which was totally bananas. So I started looking around for other people to go through. I found Host Merchant Services on a lot of different websites stating that they were one of the top companies, so I gave them a call.

Allison was in correspondence with me back-and-forth through the whole thing and she was a wonderful woman. She was super nice and she always got back to me promptly. She’s one of the only people who send emails with correct grammar and spelling. She also seemed enthusiastic and really supportive. That's what I was looking for. I wanted someone who was willing to work with me the way I work with our vendors.

When we got the machine, I called my IT guy and had him come in to make sure everything was hooked up right. It's been a month and we haven’t had any issues with it. Everything has been great. We’re in the office four days a week and we use it at least once a day. We do everything in-house so if people need to process a payment, they can either do it over the phone and we’ll key it in to the PIN pad, or we swipe the cards here. We have the regular terminal that hooks up to our internet through dial-up. Plus, we even got the chip reader machine from Host Merchant and theirs was free of charge. There are no crazy contracts either. It's just on a month-by-month basis. On top of it all, their pricing's still cheaper than what we had been using previously.

In addition, it’s nice to be able to talk to humans so much because we are like in an age of robots, at least over the phone. I don’t have to worry about that so much with them, which is great. Everyone is so personable. I even have Allison’s direct line. I’ve called and emailed her and I've never gotten automated responses. I always get a human response so that’s been really nice.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I saw Host Merchant on a ratings listing and they were listed at the top. I called in and they were very friendly, informative and I felt comfortable with them. I use the mobile swiper to process payments and we may also be getting the regular swipe machine as well. It’s for my wife’s medical practice. She just opened so we do not use it quite daily yet as she builds up her patient list but we definitely used it a number of times.

My customer service experience was also good. Any time I’ve had a problem, I called up and they’ve fixed it right away. They set everything up for me so it’s very easy to get going. They also have very good rates comparing pricing to other places. Overall, it's been a very good experience and we look forward to continuing business with them.

Original review: July 5, 2017

We’ve had Host Merchant Services since 2003 when we've started processing credit cards. They are the extension of our financial system and we’ve had an outstanding experience with them. I have recommended them to a few too. Host Merchant Services was the first one that offered me different options that nobody else had and I decided that that was the way to go. Since we're pretty loyal people, we stayed with them. Every time somebody else comes and says they have additional benefits to offer, Host Merchant Services would match the benefits so we haven't changed. They've always been very friendly and helpful too. Their rep Danielle and then Kim took care of me very well.

We use their product all day, every day at the pizza shop. We process the payments by swiping the person’s card on the machine and punching in the total. We also give a receipt if the person wants it. The payment then gets deposited into one settlement every night directly into our bank. When we were still using a regular dial-up line for our processing machine, it was getting slower as the technology was too fast for the regular phone line. It got to the point where it was taking about five swipes to get it to go through. Host Merchant Services told me exactly what I needed. I wasn't even able to settle anymore. I went home and put the machine on my personal Wi-Fi to get the credit card machine at a good speed, so that it could settle everything without problems. And as soon as I changed over to Wi-Fi, I had no more problems.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Host Merchant Services had a better rate. When we got the email from them, I had just spent the last couple of months having to argue a lot of different things with the old credit card company. The machine from Host Merchant Services is what we use for our credit card processing. We've had the same machine from another company and it just always had problems. Also, we had an issue with it and the company double charged every client that checked out that day. Their customer service was awful. Feeling appreciated and having people enjoy their jobs and wanting to be able to help us are the kind of things that mean most to us.

The only thing that we did have that we were debating whether or not we call about our machine from Host Merchant is it doesn’t accept debits. They did tell us that if we wanted to get a separate keypad to do debits, we could do that. Also, whenever I had to call Host Merchant Services for questions or do any clarification, everybody has always been really nice and nobody is giving me the runaround. The machine from Host Merchant Services has been the best credit card machine we've ever had.

Original review: June 10, 2017

We used a membership software company and they integrated with Host Merchant Services. Prior, we were using this PayPal business which we weren’t too happy with and when Host Merchant came along, we were definitely interested in switching over. HMS is all integrated in our website through the website service that we used. Everything is set up for reoccurring payments for our membership. If a member buys the product or whatever integrated through the website, we can just do a drop down to their name and it automatically charges their card that’s on file. We also do have a swiper that’s used for mobile devices but we don’t use it all that often. We have been with them for a year now and they met our needs. They're very attentive. Any time we've come to them with an issue or a problem, they seemed to jump on it and want to take care of it as a quick as possible. It was also easy to set up and a seamless system.

Original review: May 31, 2017

We needed to find somebody to get credit card terminals for our event, and we found Host Merchant Services on Google. Looking at the rates and how easy it was to get a hold of them, we decided to go with Host Merchant. We have an online store that we do tickets on and we just didn't have the terminals for that as well. We have worked with Host Merchant for a month now and their machine and service are excellent. We don't use it on a daily basis but only for our events. But it really contributed in our first event and it was the first time we accepted credit card in person. The girl that we worked with was really on top of everything and she got things done really quickly. I had a couple of calls that I had to call in for and it was really fast service. So, we're happy about that.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Host Merchant Services is local to us and they offer good service and got good people. We process payments online and through a regular terminal. I've spoken to their customer service reps once and they were pretty friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: May 26, 2017

We were opening up a new business and we were looking for companies to process our credit card payments. We did some research and came across Host Merchant Services. We processed our payments in person in a terminal and we started working with them in January of 2016. Everyone's been pretty helpful. We've been in touch with the Compliance and, as far as I know, all the technicians who have worked with us had been great. Also, the service and machine have been great and there were no issues.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I was very happy with where I was with First Data, other than they were robbing me on rates. But towards the end, I didn't have a very good deal with them. I looked for a different provider and equipment and found Host Merchant Services' name. I read their reviews and they interested me so I called the company. I've been with them since April of this year.

Host Merchant is very good to work with. However, I do not like their equipment. They have VeriFone and their equipment is sub-par to First Data. The problem with the VeriFone equipment is I have to go to two different machines. With the previous company, I didn't have to because of FleetCards. I called about every other day 'cause my credit card machine isn't working as my IP address keeps getting dropped by these machines. They don't adjust to the new IP address which seems to change every day according to the technical experts at Host Merchant. So my credit card machines were done by DSL with a phone backup. And last week, every other day, the IP was dropped and I had to reprogram which was a pain in the wazoo.

Their customer service told me there's no fixing it. I gotta power the machine down and power it back up. And then when I do that cycle, it gets it back and going again. That's what tech support told me unless I wanted to go to a static IP address which would cost me more. So, right now, I'm just going through it. I'm struggling to do that until I decide to make a different plan, maybe they get different equipment or I don't. But it's not enough to make me change at the moment. Their service and help were great. I love my rep and the technical support. They're terrific. And the machine works great when it works. Overall, Host Merchant is fine as long as you don't take FleetCards. You're gonna have to expect equipment troubles too. They may blame my internet thing, but I didn't have that problem when I had First Data's equipment. I never had dropped internet and it worked all the time.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I've been working with Host Merchant Services for a few months now. I first saw them on the Better Business Bureau and then I got them because of the good reviews I read online and because there's no contract with them. We're processing payments using a regular terminal and the service machine is working perfectly. I've called their customer service team a few times in the beginning, and they've been great in handling my requests.

Original review: May 15, 2017

A friend of the family referred us to Host Merchant Services. And we ended up switching and going with them because of the price. We've been with them four or five years now. And we use the Ingenico, the credit card processors where we actually insert the credit card into the machine. We've had several minor incidents but they've always been available to correct any problem that we've had. They were just here today to update our computers. We're having some issues and they were right on it. The reps have been good, over the phone and in person. We've had a real good rapport with them and they've offered good service. We also get a lot of solicitations, people wanting our business, and we've continued to stay with Host Merchant Services. We're happy where we're at.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We have a scanner from Host Merchant Services. I use the terminal to swipe the card and I keep the computer report of the customer. I also have a separate computer where all my customer information goes in. John and all of them are a bunch of nice guys. My accountant reached out to them. Two guys came over, met me and set up my whole system. They gave us free paper rolls. Also, I got great feedback. They're right there for my call if anything goes wrong. A guy sent me a report in the beginning how I'm doing from last month to this month in my sales. And I can reach the guys at any time. Also, they send me an email saying, "Hi, how are you doing, Iris? How are you doing this weekend?" They're very good. I like Host Merchant Services and would recommend them to a friend. They're better than Direct and the other one that I had. They were crooks.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I have been with Host Merchant Services since 2011 and they always respond when something comes up. When it goes offline, I call and they tell me what to do. It broke once so I called them then they brought a new one in the afternoon. Every time I need anything, they deal with it.

Original review: May 8, 2017

A friend of mine has a relative that had used Host Merchant Services in the past and recommended them. I also looked for several options online and Host was more highly recommended. We opened up an account during the first part of April and Cameron was helpful getting the system set up for me. I've had no problems once I understood how the machine actually works. I was able to get a hold of their technical staff easy. They were very helpful and assisted me in the operation of the machine. I pay online with the reader. I'm satisfied with them and I would recommend their service.

Original review: May 7, 2017

Before I reached out to Host Merchant Services two years back, I was using PNC and the rates were going up and up and up. I asked one of our friends down the Middletown who has a bridal salon, "Who does your credit cards for you?" and they told me it was Host and gave me all the information. I called Host and we discussed it. Plus, I didn't have to buy a machine. Our machine was on the fritz and I didn't want to spend $1000 for a new credit card machine. They told me they would me give me one to use. The only catch to it was if I stopped using Host Merchant Services I have to give it back, which was fine with me. So we went over the information and I decided to use them. I’ve been with them for six years now and so far, it's been pretty good.

We have a terminal and whether it's a chip card or a swipe card, we don’t have a problem using it. It's straightforward. The only thing is when I get my monthly bill and I'm looking at the pie chart of how many Visas, MasterCards, Discoveries and so on, for some crazy reason, we’re doing a lot more Visa and MasterCard credit cards than we do with debit. Before we went to the chip machine, we were doing a 50/50 split and I can't understand why I'm doing more credit cards when it hasn't really changed in business. We also do a lot of debit cards but it's not showing on the pie chart.

I have called them before about that and what they explained to me was how they process it depends on which bank and whatever credit card we use. Sometimes it's processed a certain way where sometimes you need a signature and sometimes you don't. But my concern is in the past seven months that we've been using the chip machine, it's registering more credit cards than debit cards. There are also things that sometimes that go offline. I have to call them up and they'll walk me through it to get it back online.

Other than that, they're very cooperative and accommodating. Host is a very good company. I'd even have other banks over the past couple of years come in and calls from other merchant services that want our business. I took my last six months or a year of invoices, showed it to them, they saw the rates, they went through it, and they couldn't compete. Host Merchant Services had them hands down. If somebody ever asked me, I have always recommended Host Merchant Services.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me and there was no hidden cost, no contract and no annual customer fees. They supplied me the machines with paper for the machines and their rates were just as good as the old company before them. I've been working with them for at least five years now and I process my payments through terminals that are IP-connected. I also have called them in the past when I needed to refund somebody and forgot to put in a tip before I batch the cards out and it's quick as a phone call. Usually, they have a 24-hour number, they answer the phone immediately and most techs walk me through or anything I needed to do. Also, the service and the machines have been working just fine. I've had three different card service providers since I've been here in the last 11 years and their top-notch service is by far, the best I've ever had.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I needed some new equipment and the current company that I was with wouldn’t allow me to buy my own equipment elsewhere and program it. They would only do it themselves with their equipment and their equipment was three times as much. I got online and did a lot of research and there’s some man on the internet that’s made it his life mission to talk about the companies that have integrity compared to the ones that don’t and Host came up first. So I contacted them.

When I spoke to them at Host, they said that they would work with my equipment. They didn’t have any guarantees that it would work but they would certainly try for me. I also love the fact that they’re a family-owned business. I feel I have better communication with them and that if I needed help I could get it quickly. The service was fantastic. I’ve had one on one with Allison. My whole download was with Tom when I did have a problem with my machine. Fortunately, the people I purchased it from, they sent me out a new equipment right away. Tom reprogrammed it for me, it was simple and easy and it’s working great.

Original review: May 4, 2017

When our website provider suggested Host Merchant Services, I looked into it and then decided to give it a try because of its cost. If the customer is logged in to their accounts, processing of their payments is done through our website. However, when people select the payment option, it sometimes shows up as an unsecured website and that worries people. I don't understand it but I've never really told anybody about it and never had to call their customer service except when I signed up. Aside from that, everything else is fine.

Original review: April 27, 2017

For more than four years now, I've been working with Host Merchant Services. When I was getting the system, they made it really easy. They gave me a credit card processing thing and when they came and set me up, that went well. I called their technical staff a couple of times when I ran into problems too. One of their guys was really helpful and he came out to the shop.

Host Merchant Services Company Information