Host Merchant Services

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We needed to find somebody to get credit card terminals for our event, and we found Host Merchant Services on Google. Looking at the rates and how easy it was to get a hold of them, we decided to go with Host Merchant. We have an online store that we do tickets on and we just didn't have the terminals for that as well. We have worked with Host Merchant for a month now and their machine and service are excellent. We don't use it on a daily basis but only for our events. But it really contributed in our first event and it was the first time we accepted credit card in person. The girl that we worked with was really on top of everything and she got things done really quickly. I had a couple of calls that I had to call in for and it was really fast service. So, we're happy about that.

Host Merchant Services is local to us and they offer good service and got good people. We process payments online and through a regular terminal. I've spoken to their customer service reps once and they were pretty friendly and knowledgeable.

We were opening up a new business and we were looking for companies to process our credit card payments. We did some research and came across Host Merchant Services. We processed our payments in person in a terminal and we started working with them in January of 2016. Everyone's been pretty helpful. We've been in touch with the Compliance and, as far as I know, all the technicians who have worked with us had been great. Also, the service and machine have been great and there were no issues.

I was very happy with where I was with First Data, other than they were robbing me on rates. But towards the end, I didn't have a very good deal with them. I looked for a different provider and equipment and found Host Merchant Services' name. I read their reviews and they interested me so I called the company. I've been with them since April of this year.

Host Merchant is very good to work with. However, I do not like their equipment. They have VeriFone and their equipment is sub-par to First Data. The problem with the VeriFone equipment is I have to go to two different machines. With the previous company, I didn't have to because of FleetCards. I called about every other day 'cause my credit card machine isn't working as my IP address keeps getting dropped by these machines. They don't adjust to the new IP address which seems to change every day according to the technical experts at Host Merchant. So my credit card machines were done by DSL with a phone backup. And last week, every other day, the IP was dropped and I had to reprogram which was a pain in the wazoo.

Their customer service told me there's no fixing it. I gotta power the machine down and power it back up. And then when I do that cycle, it gets it back and going again. That's what tech support told me unless I wanted to go to a static IP address which would cost me more. So, right now, I'm just going through it. I'm struggling to do that until I decide to make a different plan, maybe they get different equipment or I don't. But it's not enough to make me change at the moment. Their service and help were great. I love my rep and the technical support. They're terrific. And the machine works great when it works. Overall, Host Merchant is fine as long as you don't take FleetCards. You're gonna have to expect equipment troubles too. They may blame my internet thing, but I didn't have that problem when I had First Data's equipment. I never had dropped internet and it worked all the time.

I've been working with Host Merchant Services for a few months now. I first saw them on the Better Business Bureau and then I got them because of the good reviews I read online and because there's no contract with them. We're processing payments using a regular terminal and the service machine is working perfectly. I've called their customer service team a few times in the beginning, and they've been great in handling my requests.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

A friend of the family referred us to Host Merchant Services. And we ended up switching and going with them because of the price. We've been with them four or five years now. And we use the Ingenico, the credit card processors where we actually insert the credit card into the machine. We've had several minor incidents but they've always been available to correct any problem that we've had. They were just here today to update our computers. We're having some issues and they were right on it. The reps have been good, over the phone and in person. We've had a real good rapport with them and they've offered good service. We also get a lot of solicitations, people wanting our business, and we've continued to stay with Host Merchant Services. We're happy where we're at.

We have a scanner from Host Merchant Services. I use the terminal to swipe the card and I keep the computer report of the customer. I also have a separate computer where all my customer information goes in. John and all of them are a bunch of nice guys. My accountant reached out to them. Two guys came over, met me and set up my whole system. They gave us free paper rolls. Also, I got great feedback. They're right there for my call if anything goes wrong. A guy sent me a report in the beginning how I'm doing from last month to this month in my sales. And I can reach the guys at any time. Also, they send me an email saying, "Hi, how are you doing, Iris? How are you doing this weekend?" They're very good. I like Host Merchant Services and would recommend them to a friend. They're better than Direct and the other one that I had. They were crooks.

I have been with Host Merchant Services since 2011 and they always respond when something comes up. When it goes offline, I call and they tell me what to do. It broke once so I called them then they brought a new one in the afternoon. Every time I need anything, they deal with it.

A friend of mine has a relative that had used Host Merchant Services in the past and recommended them. I also looked for several options online and Host was more highly recommended. We opened up an account during the first part of April and Cameron was helpful getting the system set up for me. I've had no problems once I understood how the machine actually works. I was able to get a hold of their technical staff easy. They were very helpful and assisted me in the operation of the machine. I pay online with the reader. I'm satisfied with them and I would recommend their service.

Before I reached out to Host Merchant Services two years back, I was using PNC and the rates were going up and up and up. I asked one of our friends down the Middletown who has a bridal salon, "Who does your credit cards for you?" and they told me it was Host and gave me all the information. I called Host and we discussed it. Plus, I didn't have to buy a machine. Our machine was on the fritz and I didn't want to spend $1000 for a new credit card machine. They told me they would me give me one to use. The only catch to it was if I stopped using Host Merchant Services I have to give it back, which was fine with me. So we went over the information and I decided to use them. I’ve been with them for six years now and so far, it's been pretty good.

We have a terminal and whether it's a chip card or a swipe card, we don’t have a problem using it. It's straightforward. The only thing is when I get my monthly bill and I'm looking at the pie chart of how many Visas, MasterCards, Discoveries and so on, for some crazy reason, we’re doing a lot more Visa and MasterCard credit cards than we do with debit. Before we went to the chip machine, we were doing a 50/50 split and I can't understand why I'm doing more credit cards when it hasn't really changed in business. We also do a lot of debit cards but it's not showing on the pie chart.

I have called them before about that and what they explained to me was how they process it depends on which bank and whatever credit card we use. Sometimes it's processed a certain way where sometimes you need a signature and sometimes you don't. But my concern is in the past seven months that we've been using the chip machine, it's registering more credit cards than debit cards. There are also things that sometimes that go offline. I have to call them up and they'll walk me through it to get it back online.

Other than that, they're very cooperative and accommodating. Host is a very good company. I'd even have other banks over the past couple of years come in and calls from other merchant services that want our business. I took my last six months or a year of invoices, showed it to them, they saw the rates, they went through it, and they couldn't compete. Host Merchant Services had them hands down. If somebody ever asked me, I have always recommended Host Merchant Services.

Host Merchant Services reached out to me and there was no hidden cost, no contract and no annual customer fees. They supplied me the machines with paper for the machines and their rates were just as good as the old company before them. I've been working with them for at least five years now and I process my payments through terminals that are IP-connected. I also have called them in the past when I needed to refund somebody and forgot to put in a tip before I batch the cards out and it's quick as a phone call. Usually, they have a 24-hour number, they answer the phone immediately and most techs walk me through or anything I needed to do. Also, the service and the machines have been working just fine. I've had three different card service providers since I've been here in the last 11 years and their top-notch service is by far, the best I've ever had.

I needed some new equipment and the current company that I was with wouldn’t allow me to buy my own equipment elsewhere and program it. They would only do it themselves with their equipment and their equipment was three times as much. I got online and did a lot of research and there’s some man on the internet that’s made it his life mission to talk about the companies that have integrity compared to the ones that don’t and Host came up first. So I contacted them.

When I spoke to them at Host, they said that they would work with my equipment. They didn’t have any guarantees that it would work but they would certainly try for me. I also love the fact that they’re a family-owned business. I feel I have better communication with them and that if I needed help I could get it quickly. The service was fantastic. I’ve had one on one with Allison. My whole download was with Tom when I did have a problem with my machine. Fortunately, the people I purchased it from, they sent me out a new equipment right away. Tom reprogrammed it for me, it was simple and easy and it’s working great.

When our website provider suggested Host Merchant Services, I looked into it and then decided to give it a try because of its cost. If the customer is logged in to their accounts, processing of their payments is done through our website. However, when people select the payment option, it sometimes shows up as an unsecured website and that worries people. I don't understand it but I've never really told anybody about it and never had to call their customer service except when I signed up. Aside from that, everything else is fine.

For more than four years now, I've been working with Host Merchant Services. When I was getting the system, they made it really easy. They gave me a credit card processing thing and when they came and set me up, that went well. I called their technical staff a couple of times when I ran into problems too. One of their guys was really helpful and he came out to the shop.

I like the fee structures of Host Merchant Services. I process payments through a terminal that I purchased through them and the machine has worked great. I've had some issues getting my gift card processability switched over to that terminal but that was due to an error on my part that I didn't tell them I used the gift cards. But they have been very supportive and are shipping out the new terminal now that has my gift card processability downloaded to it. They've given me very prompt and good feedback and working with them has been successful so far. I've worked exclusively with Alison and she has coordinated quite well. I know that they are having some difficulties in getting information that I needed but she passed it up the ladder and I was told the president of the company had to get involved. Once that happened, I got results really quickly.

I was unhappy with our old service because I needed a chip machine and they wouldn't give me one for free. Now I process payments through the card machine I got from Host Merchant Services. The transition was very smooth from one company to theirs and they've given me satisfactory service. If I have a question on how to answer something, I call the 800 number and they answer the question right away over the phone to help me out. For instance, I called them when the machine asked for a PIN when I run a card through it. I don't have access to patients' PIN nor do I want them to key their PIN on my pad because it's behind my desk. So I called and they told me how to override it without having the PIN put in. The support is quick, easy, friendly and if I need tape for my machine, they send it out right away for free.

A personal recommendation from someone led us to reach out to Host Merchant Services. We've been working with them for about three years now. We use the terminal to process our payments and we haven't had any problems with our service and the machine. Prior to Host, we had another provider and Host has been a significant improvement over that other company as far as customer service and response to any issues. In handling issues, their response time was quick. Communication was great and follow-up was good. We could always get somebody right away. We've had a very positive experience with Host and we're quite happy with the service.

I was with one company who took money out so the money I took in did not match what they were depositing in the bank which made it very difficult to reconcile. But with Host Merchant Services, the statements are easy to read and I know the person who sold it to me. Also, it's easy to balance the account or to reconcile from the paperwork.

I got the 510 Omni 3730LE terminal and it's very easy to use. The rep comes down every six months or a year to check if need more paper for it and he supplies us with paper. I’ve had to call a couple of times because there was something wacky with the deposit. The fellow at the help desk worked through it very easily so the service is good.

Now, I get a lot of phone calls from people saying that things have changed and we don’t have to go through a company like Host Merchant. They're saying that I've had so few chargebacks and that I'm eligible for a program which cuts out the merchant processing service I'm using, but I don't believe them. It doesn't sound good to me.

Before getting Host Merchant, we talked to several different people, and signed up with another company that essentially lied to us about their fees and cost. We often have a slow period in December, January, February and sometime in March, and what jumped out at me was even if we didn’t run a card, we had a flat fee of almost $50 a month. So, we started talking to other people to ask about their charges if we don’t run a card that much. And Host was one of a couple that said "we won’t bill you if you don’t have any fees." We’ve talked to Host a couple of times, and they’ve always done pretty much what they said. We have a terminal in the office to run cards and we do it two ways. One is we swipe the card, and the other is we’ll let the customer call us with their credit card information, then we’ll punch it in, but that way we don’t have a record of it.

We’ve been doing credit cards since 2002, and it’s always been the Verifone style machine. And Host's machine works really well, but I’m not really wild about the way this one prints. It prints small and since I’m an older guy, it doesn’t fit me. I would prefer a larger receipt than the one that we have. Even the secretary that works in here doesn't like it either and she’s in her 40s. Other than that, I’d recommend Host Merchant because right now they’re the only ones I know that are doing what they say. We’ve had bad experiences with phone and credit card companies and we don’t have time to deal with that. To me, a credit card machine is a lot like a telephone. You pick it up, you expect it to work. The credit card machine may sit here unused for two or three days, but when you need it, you don’t want to wrestle with it.

We've been using Host Merchant Services to process online payments for almost 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with them. Every time I've called them, they've been very responsive. They've gotten back in touch with me if they weren't there and worked with me on any issues I had.

We had a hard time getting set up with Host Merchant Services because we've got three separate accounts that we charge to. It took a little while to get things on track. A few different people were involved and they had to come up to our location two or three times to get things taken care of. But everybody worked really well with us and they got to our goals quickly and painlessly. Everyone is very customer-oriented which is not a norm these days. They're also willing to get to the goal however they need to. We have online payments through our parent portal, and the credit card machine where we do payments by phone and manual payments. It was a very easy transition and we picked up where we left of.

I had a booth renter who used HMS for her services. I let Ken from HMS looked at the provider I was using at the time and he showed me that their company was a better option. I switched and have been with them for three years now. I have their regular terminal and it works fine. Over the last few years, I have had to call customer service twice and if I had any issues, I have Ken's cell phone number. I just call or text him directly and he handles it immediately. Sometimes I deal with Danielle in the office and they pretty much handled everything for me. My experiences with Danielle and Ken made a world of difference. Having that personal attention and availability when I had something that might go wrong was more important to me than dealing with another outside company where everything had to be redone via phone and computer. So far, I had very few issues and HMS provided excellent service.

We've been working with Host Merchant for 10 years and they've been excellent. Their lady rep came in and offered some prices that were different and better, and that's what we went with. We use their product everyday. We have their card swiper and it has been working fine. Their reps got back within 24 hours whenever we interact with them. Everything was good. In general, they're very pleasant to work with, and they are very helpful and courteous on the phone. They'll do anything they can to make sure that they get the service go smoothly.

A lot of our customers are using credit cards for their monthly maintenance charges and monthly billing. We use Host Merchant Services to monitor chargebacks on merchant credit cards. It's what tells us that we need to dispute so it's really helpful, and the company has been using it for years. We've got a couple of different accounts with HMS because of our different acquisitions over the years. We've opened the HMS account to monitor the transactions of each of our subsidiaries. So somebody checks the account every day looking at something.

We've got a point of sales system. Our billing software sends the invoices out and then auto-charges the cards. Customers have the ability to go into their account online themselves and pay bills, change their card if they want to, and update the information. HMS has integrated it in that process. Last November, there were a couple of times when a chargeback would hit and it would hit my email box. The reps have always been available to help me out and walk me through what the challenge is. I haven't been here long enough to really delve into other functions that HMS might offer, and we may be under-utilizing it right now. But it meets our needs and I just I need to go and learn more about it.

I've been working with Host Merchant Services for eight years now and their customer service team have always been very helpful and prompt to settle any issues.

Host Merchant Services is local to us and they have a device that would hook up to our iPhone so my wife could use her iPhone to take credit card transactions. We've heard about the company from other merchants who had used them for the same thing. We got an email that explained how to set up the iPhone. We followed the instructions and at first there was a problem, so we called the customer support line and they mentioned that the error message we were getting was caused likely by a typo. They checked the information we typed in and one of the letters was off. We fixed it and everything worked perfectly. They helped us easily and were very professional and polite.

My wife is absolutely thrilled with her account and that she can take credit cards. She makes jewelry and sells them at a location that is not-for-profit. 40% of her sale goes to the not-for-profit and the rest, she uses to buy new materials and support the business. We have the mobile swiper for a week now and it works flawlessly. No issues at all.

I did a Google search and found Host Merchant Services. I made a phone call and Cameron was the person I spoke to. He was very helpful, sincere and I felt very comfortable with what he told with regard to the company and how they operate. I could tell that he knew what he was talking about. Based on what we were looking for and a combination of their competitive pricing, he was able to meet our needs. He did a fine job in helping us and responding back.

Most of our transactions are done online via our website. The gateway itself is very user-friendly and everything is working perfectly. We've been able to process payments and we see that the payments are coming into our bank accounts as they should. We haven't had any issues, other than questions about the gateway setup, which the customer service team was able to answer very easily over the phone. They've been very responsive. Overall, the experience has been very pleasant and Host Merchant has done everything they said they were going to do. Excellent service and I was very satisfied.

We had a different provider before but Host Merchant Services has low fees and percentages. We have the regular terminal for six years now and the machine doesn't break. We've never had to contact them, which is great, and we have virtually no issue with our statements. Everything is easy.

HMS has been excellent to work with. We selected them when we were just starting out because they had the best pricing. As we have scaled our business over the last 4 years, they have continued to be a fantastic partner - proactively working with us improve service and reduce cost. You should work with them. Great service!

A business was closing out and I took over. I did an ownership change on the machine and used the terminal processing payment of Host Merchant Services. I look every night because it takes about three days to get through the checking account. They also have something where we had to call them for our secure system once a year to keep us up to date. Our business has gotten so big now we're trying to find us a point of sale machine. They did everything they could do. We had problems with the system because of computers and firewalls and they were able to get right through all that stuff.

Host Merchant Services Company Profile