4.78/5
  • 1 star
Based on 73 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Host Merchant Services offers a wide array of services that can help you enhance your business today. From payment processing and point of sale, to business financing and business tools, Host Merchant Services is your one provider for all your business needs. When you sign up with us, you can rest assured that you are obtaining the best price and best customer service. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

73 Host Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Host Merchant Services is an authorized merchant for the POS system that we purchased. We filled up the application and they approved us. We got an online POS system. People buy things on our website, and sometimes, they'll call over the phone to place orders. Host Merchant Services processes the cards that we run and we haven't had anything negative. They're a reliable company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago and I accepted them because of lower fees. We process payments through a terminal and when we needed a mobile credit card machine, they supplied one at no charge. The customer service is always pleasant too. I've been pleased with Host Merchant Services ever since I hooked up with them five years ago and I have recommended new customers to them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Host Merchant Services had a very good rate that's comparable to the other rate we already had. We process payments through a regular terminal and the system works great. It processes the money and that's all that matters. Their customer service is excellent. I called them for the terminal paper and it was an easy operation. The rep who came in and set-up the system for us was professional. Host Merchant runs the operations smoothly and whatever they’re doing works. We've been with them for a couple of years and I would recommend them highly.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was in a really bad spot in trying to get my stocks set up because my bank didn’t step up to the plate. After comparing different companies, I liked what I saw regarding pricing with Host Merchant Services, so I decided to see if they could help me out at the last minute, and they were able to do their part. The no-contract setup was also important to me being a new startup. Their rep, Allison, was absolutely wonderful. She was the one who set up my account and she’s fantastic. Her interaction with me was one of the biggest things in me deciding to go with Host Merchant past my initial contact because she provided the customer service that I liked. She was very much part of me feeling more comfortable with this company I had never heard of. They were wonderful in getting set up.

I have the credit card processing through Host Merchant, and all they did was set it up so that I could accept credit cards. I don’t have any of their hardware but it's working fine. My POS people see my credit card purchases on their end. I still haven't received any of my credit card payments, though. When you do a couple 100 and only less than 50 is cash, the rest of it are credit cards. As a new business, I really need to see that money. I called this morning and left a message and I have not gotten a callback yet. I need Allison or somebody to call me.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We were having issues with our previous credit company and someone we know recommended Host Merchant Services. We got a terminal from them and we’ve had it for a few months now. Our experience has been good so far and we are pleased with their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We dealt with a software company that reached out to Host Merchant and helped us through our set up. We interact with the product every day but it depends on what season it is where we can get very busy. It’s the slow season right now so it calms down. We use the swiper on phones then we log in and type in the information in our computer and swipe the card. I contact the customer service if we have a problem and they help us resolve the issue. We've been working with them for at least four years and they have great service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Host Merchant has good pricing and users have glowing reviews online. We have been with them for only two days and our service machine is working good. I process payment through their Ingenico terminals at the register. My wife and the associates in the store interact with the product on a daily basis because they're using it as a way to process the transactions for customers in the consignment store. I had to call customer service three or four of times for general questions and people have been very responsive and have solved what I had asked them to do.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've had some not so great to very poor experiences with other credit card processing companies. But Host Merchant was very professional. They go all the way as far as authorizing, making sure that we're a legitimate business, which is good to me. It's the first party, so they have great transaction rates, the best I've ever had. If a person is an honest business owner, it's an easy experience with Host Merchant, one that's pleasant. I use their service as a credit card terminal. The reps and the people that I spoke with were very personable. The way the company functions on a whole is something that the employees find easy to get behind. They don't hide things and everything is out upfront. I get on Facebook, and I try to tell people on some of the florist pages how great Host Merchant is. They are one of a handful of honest companies. Overall, I love Host Merchant. They're fabulous and one of the best credit card processing companies out there.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We've been with Host Merchant Services for two years and I'm very satisfied. Where we were prior was becoming too expensive. Whenever they were turning over to a chip, we had to get a new machine. With Host Merchant Services, we have a desktop machine and if I get a certain error message or if I don't know how to do a certain transaction, I call and get somebody right then. They've always been very helpful and very nice about everything. They walk me through it and it's resolved within five minutes.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I signed up with a friend of mine who worked for Host Merchant Services and things have remained the same ever since. I'm happy with their product and service. They've done their job and they do well. The terminal batches are all automatic, everything out every night. Recently I had to deal with a chargeback. Based on the industry that I'm in, over the phone, taking credit cards, leaves me pretty vulnerable as the merchant. They gave me all the information that I needed to find out that I was Sol. And as a consumer, I felt educated. That's the best place to be, to know what's going on at least. So, I'm pleased with it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Host Merchant called me and they were local so our company reached out to them and we have been working with them for four years now. We barely ever use the point of sale machine and we use that for credit card probably three times a year. Most of our processing is done online where we can apply the payments directly and Host Merchant doesn't do it that way.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We’ve been dealing with PayPal, because we sell through eBay and PayPal is the processor for eBay. I got an email from Host Merchant Services. They told me that they also had a credit card. I just cancelled the other credit card because I wasn’t happy with the service. The team at Host Merchant is very nice. However, I don't see the Mastercard or Visa option on my website. I tried to call a guy this morning, but he wasn’t much helpful to me. They told me that I have to go to my website designer and have him do it, so I didn’t realize I had to do that.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

After lots of research, I found Host Merchant Services as the best and I liked their transparency and their fees. They also provided personal help while I was doing my research. I have a terminal and I get my patient's credit card, submit it into the terminal, put it in and get the receipt out. However, we had a couple of glitches at the very beginning and we had a problem getting paid. Some things were held in the account for a couple of days but they couldn't figure out why, and after they figured it out, they lost one payment. When I called them, their customer service was right on top of it though. They found it and put it back through. Those were the first three days of payments coming through and once that took place, everything was clear. We've had Host Merchant for six weeks now and it's been working beautifully.

When I signed up and asked about batching it each night, they ask for a time and they didn't let me know that there was a specific time to get it credited for the next day. So I picked 9:00 pm as a random time because I wanted to make sure my patients were seen and then I found out through customer service when I was having another issue that we needed to move it to before 8:00 o'clock. That would have been nice to have on the paperwork and I would have had an idea of what they were looking for and what I was looking for. Other than that, the experience has been lovely. In fact, I picked up another program for my electronic medical record that has its own credit card processing but I'm not using it. I'm choosing to stay with Host.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We were looking for a new processor and after lots of research found that the ones that we were looking at were not up to standard and had way too many complaints against them along with legal issues. I saw Host Merchant when I went through this legal website and it gave a review and then there's another one that breaks down all the top five best and worst companies.

We just switched over officially to Host Merchant Services on Friday but their customer service was freaking incredible from the time we started. They had followed through. They were able to answer every single question I had and if I had a question that they didn’t know the answer to they were honest and got back to me in a timely manner. The pictures that they sent over reflected the quotes that they had provided us so I didn’t have to play the guessing game of are we going to get scammed yet again. The machine was pretty self-explanatory and simple. It's a virtual terminal, so I go online and then enter payments.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We’ve been working with Host Merchant Services for two years now. We process payments through Wi-Fi, and the machine is good. Everything has been okay.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Host Merchant Services was recommended to us and we’ve been with them for a couple of months. We process payments using the internet and a local terminal. A card comes in and you swipe it. The machine has been working fine.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Host Merchant's customer service and price are good but every time I wake up in the morning, I feel like it should be better. But I'm happy with the service. I have a regular terminal through a phone line and it's working fine. The customer service people have all been positive as long as this chargeback that I just got for the first one in three years gets taken care of and I get the money back in my account. I've never had a chargeback that's credited against me. But this was for some crazy reason that has something to do with a chip card. It was a fraudulent card and they approved it, so that shouldn't be my headache. The 29th had passed and it was the date the information had to get put in there. But Tom helped me out and he took care of it for me.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I’ve been working with Host Merchant Services for just a few weeks and they’re awesome. I just did a Google search and went with one that had a lot of good ratings, and I ended up with them. Their reps would respond right away and they've been extremely helpful. They answered every question and they helped me by walking me through everything. I process payments through credit card machine and so far, it's working good. I interact with the product every other sale, it's hit or miss. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience working with them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was looking for a better deal than what I was using at the moment and learned about Host Merchant Services. Aside from the price the gentleman that I talked to from Host Merchant Services was very nice so I went with them. We’ve been with them for three years now and customer service has been very helpful. We process payments using the terminals and the machines are working fine.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Host Merchant Services had good feedback when I researched about them online, so I decided to give them a chance. They have low fees and they were really easy to deal with. I got a card reader here and I've had them for about a year and a half to two years. I use the machine every other day because cards are minority part of my business but some people have to run cards. Then they take money out of my account every month for their fees.

When I had an issue, Host Merchant Services led me through it. They were very knowledgeable with their diagnostics and their service was very quick. They told me that my ISP is down and that I have to call my service provider, which I did. Then I called Host Merchant Services back to get the system back up and running. It's all smooth and problem-free transfer data with them. Everything works and I don't even realize that I'm with them until I see my charge every month. There are no hidden fees or anything of that nature as well.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We were looking for a new provider, did some research and looked around at the different pricing, then we decided to go with Host Merchant Services. We’ve had them for about three years now and our services have been working fine. Our daily interaction with the product is all done via the internet. and almost all payments are done automatically through the website using Authorize.Net. Host Merchant is a reliable and efficient company.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Like all the credit card processors, I felt like I was overpaying. I then reached out to Host Merchant Services one or two weeks ago and they quoted me a good price. Their process was okay and somebody helped us in getting things set up. So far, so good.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I've been doing business with Host Merchant Services and we have a credit card machine that's been upgraded three times since 2012. They saved me money and it included the equipment so I didn't have to lease anything from First Data. They were very responsive, I had help within the day. If they can't do it over the phone with me, somebody will come and fix it. I was very close to them when I signed up in 2012 and even though I moved to a different city, they gave me great service. Their technical support, Ken, is great and helped me out. I’ve had one or two issues and when I'm upgrading from one machine to another and they provided me at no extra charge. Host Merchant Services is a great company to work with. They’re effective and I didn’t feel they were high pressure. I still have people come in and call everyday, tell me they can save me money but nobody's ever been able to put it in writing so I'm very happy.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Host Merchant Services was one of two names given to me and I researched online and they had a better rating than the other company. They processed me when others wouldn’t. And the procedure was two months offer for processing time than the other people I’ve been trying to call. Our Host Merchant is for a new website. So that’s going to be a brand new procedure for us. We do wholesale and retail on that website. Hopefully, we’ll have sales every day on it. We’ve been working with them for two weeks and so far, so good. The customer service rep I’m working with is Allison and she’s incredible and very responsible. It was a fantastic experience.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me through the website developers and they had better rates compared to other merchant services. I've had them for a couple of years now and processing things online has been good which I do on a monthly basis. It was a good experience overall.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago. They walked in and that’s how I knew they were a local company. The good thing about that is there is no contract. I can leave anytime I want with no fees for the terminals. If anything happens, they reach out to me within an hour and I don’t think any company can provide that type of service. I use the terminals every day and they are perfect. Everything is good with the customer service and they are just one phone call away. They’re very helpful people. I’ve been in the retail business for 20 years and this is probably one of the best companies I’ve ever been with. A lot of people want my business and for me to leave Host Merchant Services, but they haven’t given me a reason for me to leave them. They are convenient and they have the best service, competitive rates and free paper.

Original review: July 15, 2017

We got a letter from the merchant services company we were previously using. They wanted us to pay over $1,000 for a new machine so people could use the chip instead of the swipe method for debit and credit cards, which was totally bananas. So I started looking around for other people to go through. I found Host Merchant Services on a lot of different websites stating that they were one of the top companies, so I gave them a call.

Allison was in correspondence with me back-and-forth through the whole thing and she was a wonderful woman. She was super nice and she always got back to me promptly. She’s one of the only people who send emails with correct grammar and spelling. She also seemed enthusiastic and really supportive. That's what I was looking for. I wanted someone who was willing to work with me the way I work with our vendors.

When we got the machine, I called my IT guy and had him come in to make sure everything was hooked up right. It's been a month and we haven’t had any issues with it. Everything has been great. We’re in the office four days a week and we use it at least once a day. We do everything in-house so if people need to process a payment, they can either do it over the phone and we’ll key it in to the PIN pad, or we swipe the cards here. We have the regular terminal that hooks up to our internet through dial-up. Plus, we even got the chip reader machine from Host Merchant and theirs was free of charge. There are no crazy contracts either. It's just on a month-by-month basis. On top of it all, their pricing's still cheaper than what we had been using previously.

In addition, it’s nice to be able to talk to humans so much because we are like in an age of robots, at least over the phone. I don’t have to worry about that so much with them, which is great. Everyone is so personable. I even have Allison’s direct line. I’ve called and emailed her and I've never gotten automated responses. I always get a human response so that’s been really nice.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I saw Host Merchant on a ratings listing and they were listed at the top. I called in and they were very friendly, informative and I felt comfortable with them. I use the mobile swiper to process payments and we may also be getting the regular swipe machine as well. It’s for my wife’s medical practice. She just opened so we do not use it quite daily yet as she builds up her patient list but we definitely used it a number of times.

My customer service experience was also good. Any time I’ve had a problem, I called up and they’ve fixed it right away. They set everything up for me so it’s very easy to get going. They also have very good rates comparing pricing to other places. Overall, it's been a very good experience and we look forward to continuing business with them.

Original review: July 5, 2017

We’ve had Host Merchant Services since 2003 when we've started processing credit cards. They are the extension of our financial system and we’ve had an outstanding experience with them. I have recommended them to a few too. Host Merchant Services was the first one that offered me different options that nobody else had and I decided that that was the way to go. Since we're pretty loyal people, we stayed with them. Every time somebody else comes and says they have additional benefits to offer, Host Merchant Services would match the benefits so we haven't changed. They've always been very friendly and helpful too. Their rep Danielle and then Kim took care of me very well.

We use their product all day, every day at the pizza shop. We process the payments by swiping the person’s card on the machine and punching in the total. We also give a receipt if the person wants it. The payment then gets deposited into one settlement every night directly into our bank. When we were still using a regular dial-up line for our processing machine, it was getting slower as the technology was too fast for the regular phone line. It got to the point where it was taking about five swipes to get it to go through. Host Merchant Services told me exactly what I needed. I wasn't even able to settle anymore. I went home and put the machine on my personal Wi-Fi to get the credit card machine at a good speed, so that it could settle everything without problems. And as soon as I changed over to Wi-Fi, I had no more problems.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Host Merchant Services had a better rate. When we got the email from them, I had just spent the last couple of months having to argue a lot of different things with the old credit card company. The machine from Host Merchant Services is what we use for our credit card processing. We've had the same machine from another company and it just always had problems. Also, we had an issue with it and the company double charged every client that checked out that day. Their customer service was awful. Feeling appreciated and having people enjoy their jobs and wanting to be able to help us are the kind of things that mean most to us.

The only thing that we did have that we were debating whether or not we call about our machine from Host Merchant is it doesn’t accept debits. They did tell us that if we wanted to get a separate keypad to do debits, we could do that. Also, whenever I had to call Host Merchant Services for questions or do any clarification, everybody has always been really nice and nobody is giving me the runaround. The machine from Host Merchant Services has been the best credit card machine we've ever had.

Host Merchant Services Company Information