Call toll free
4.63/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Host Merchant Services offers a wide array of services that can help you enhance your business today. From payment processing and point of sale, to business financing and business tools, Host Merchant Services is your one provider for all your business needs. When you sign up with us, you can rest assured that you are obtaining the best price and best customer service. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

92 Host Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 10, 2018

After reading quite a few positive reviews of HMS & researching their site, I decided to apply for a merchant services account through them. I am in the process of launching a CBD ecommerce site and CBD is considered a "high-risk" in merchant service provider circles. HMS is promoted as high-risk friendly. The HMS site states on the homepage that there are no application, set-up, or hidden fees. This was the deciding factor to me since these fees are common when dealing with high-risk merchant service providers.

When I received the application from HMS, I was surprised to see the following fees: AVPS Mth C/S Fee: $32.95. Application Fee: $50.00. Set-Up Fee: $450.00. I called the agent I was working with who explained these were another entity's fees, & not HMS'. This is contrary to the claims of no application, or set-up fees, and although not hidden, the "AVPS Mth C/S Fee" is also questionable.

The bottom line here is that for a high-risk merchant service provider, HMS' claims on no application or set-up fees is not only deceptive but altogether false. I personally question a company's integrity when I encounter false claims. If they lie once, they'll do it again. I would not recommend this company to anyone regardless if they are a high risk merchant or not. HMS has no integrity in my experience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 19, 2018

Host Merchant Services provides excellent customer service, answers questions thoroughly, and quickly responds to emails. Highly recommended. Also, Allison ** was the person who helped me through the process. To me, she is the representative of the company, so I see this company as kind, professional, eager to answer questions, friendly, caring and loyal to its customers.

Original review: June 1, 2018

When I became an HMS customer I was first starting my business. My business was classified as "high risk" due to the fact I was buying and selling guns, ammo, etc. Many point of sale services wouldn't help or even give me a chance. Then I found Host Merchant Services and they turned a nightmare situation into a pleasant one. Any time I had a question or was confused on a matter my HMS representatives (Allison ** and Danielle **) were right there ready to help and took a sincere interest in my businesses well being. They were very patient with me and helped me understand how to operate my equipment. If a problem arose they helped me find the proper solution and get it resolved efficiently. Both representatives were courteous and professional standing as shining examples of what we all should strive to be in our jobs.

HMS is a great company that treated me fair in all aspects. The staff goes above and beyond to help their customers. I highly recommend HMS to anyone who is looking for a company to help them set up a point of sale for their business. If I ever need to set up another point of sale for another business I will call HMS immediately and without hesitation. Thank you Danielle and Allison, Y'all are the best. Thank you Host Merchant Services.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Host Merchant Services had good programs in place for a company like ours that needed something that could process credit cards. Up to this point, all we process are checks, so it's gonna make it a lot easier for us to be able to process credit cards. Mostly, our payments are processed online. We've had Merchant for two weeks now and it works really well. They set up a program for sending out invoices that have links where people can easily go through the invoice, enter their information and pay for it. The invoice takes care of itself, so we really don’t have to do too much on our end. We also have a mobile swiper if anyone prefers to make payments in person.

The team at Host Merchant were great. They were helpful anytime we had questions and I could reach out to them and they would quickly help us out. We’ve been really happy with the experience so far and I’m definitely going to use them for the other businesses that I’m working on as well. Host Merchant Services has a bunch of different products, so there’s definitely something that will work for any companies' specific needs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

There was a guy who was telling me that he could charge me at an extremely lower rate for all types of cards. And as time went on, it was becoming more apparent that the guy was just blowing smoke at me. I started doing my internet research and Host Merchant Services had a really professional-looking website that explained the rate better, so I called and talked to Cameron, and we decided to go with them. Cameron was really easy to talk to and he gave me a good answer to the questions I had.

It's my first month with Host Merchant, and I kinda rushed them to get me hooked up so that I could invoice from the 30th. My payments are coming through my wiki.transactionexpress website. I wanted a professional looking “pay now” button on my website, and Host Merchant's service has been good so far although there has been a couple of bumps. It looks like I'm getting paid in full and then charged for merchant's fees later. Also, the VT Transaction Express template was not allowing me to upload my own logo to personalize the 'pay now' page. It was kind of a continuous problem. The Transaction Express website is not ideal. It could be a little easier to use. I finally broke down and asked for help with it. There was a tech-oriented guy who was with them, and I was told to send them my logo file and he'd get it uploaded for me. They created the page for me.

Host Merchant was charging a fair equal amount of money over the cost of interchange rate, whether that's the reduced regulated debit rate or credit card. And I know what I'm getting because they make the information clear. Out of all the companies I looked at, Host Merchant looked the best for me. And I had a good rapport with, Cameron, the first person I spoke to also. So between the interaction on the first person who answered the phone and the clarity of the information, they're hands down the best up to this point. And I'd be sticking with them unless they really screw something up badly, but I got a good feeling that they'll work hard at keeping my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

Original review: May 11, 2018

My business falls into a high-risk category ‘cause I do an online subscription business. I use PayPal and credit card to process payments and it’s all 100% online. And then I was looking for a high-risk credit card processing provider. Initially, I was doing a set up with another company and I was able to set up with them quicker, but I ended up with Host Merchant Services because the bank that they were able to set up was a better fit. Also, they seemed to have really good reviews and then their website was easy to get in contact with the sales rep.

Though the sales rep that I got set up with was helpful, it oftentimes would take more than a full business day for that sales rep to get back to me every time I had a question, which delayed the process more than it needed to. Though one time, when I was trying to get a question answered that same day but couldn’t hear back from them, I called in their general number and I was able to get help. They were able to solve my questions, the rate seemed good, and the company was easy to work with. It took a little bit to get everything set up, but there was just a lot of pieces to it, and it had been working great so far. I have been working with Host Merchant for two months and now that my website is set up to collect payments, I just use an online customer portal for the bank I’m set up with and check that once in a while.

Original review: March 18, 2018

My wife uses Host Merchant Services and we got them about three weeks ago. We typically processes payments via credit card and the system has been good. It's fast and I use it every day for the merchant service. I use it anywhere from 3 to 10 times a day. The only thing I don’t like is it batches out on Friday but one doesn’t get paid until Tuesday. Other than that, customer service has been great. The service is quick and I am very satisfied. I'd tell friends to go ahead with it.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I did some online search and found good reviews for Host Merchant Services. We process payments through a regular terminal, and if a customer needs to charge something, I just go to the card. The machine is doing good and we've been with Host Merchant Services for just a few months.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was looking for merchant companies that had excellent reviews for service and Host Merchant Services came up among the top choices. We've been working with Host Merchant for two months now. We haven't received any machines from them and we're still using the same POS system, but their service has been very good. We process payments through the regular POS. I've talked with the customer service reps a couple of times and they were very quick, and they seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I appreciated mostly how prompt they were in acting on issues. They answered the phone and there were not many automated runabouts to get to talk to somebody. Host Merchant could help me with a chip card reader, but otherwise I'm happy. Their customer service is excellent and they're very competitive with their rates.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I liked Host Merchant's sales rep and what she had to say. They did Interchange Plus which was what I wanted. The pricing was good and the features included invoicing, mobile swiping as well as virtual terminals. We mainly use the virtual terminal to process payments, but I will do some mobile swiping and sometimes invoicing if the client prefers it.

We've been with them for about a month and everything has been good. They respond immediately and I've received nice technical support from Daniel. She answers on the second ring every time and has been very helpful. However, I hit a snag with my cell phone. It’s a newer model and their mobile swipers are not compatible with it. They’re supposed to get a new one out in a few months and, hopefully, it will work with my phone. In the interim, they sent me a virtual terminal at no charge which was a great help in being able to do the person-to-person type of transactions. I’m happy with them so far. Host Merchant Services is a good bet and they stand behind their product. I recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I wanted to leave the place I was with and Host Merchant Services has a good review. Our company sells spare parts to large companies and our clients give us their credit card number over the phone then I process it online. But we don’t have any cards ever. We've been with Host since January 1st and I’ve only had to process one card so far. I was able to process that one online and it was very easy. I needed help logging in for the first time. But right away, Danielle was able to help me and she got me the ID. The customer service has been very good. If I have any questions, I send an email and Danielle or Allison calls me right away. Right from the first time when I called to get pricing, they’ve been really helpful. I would definitely recommend Host Merchant Services and tell others to give them a try.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I read the reviews online and they said Host Merchant Services was good. I was looking for any credit card company that I could get because mine screwed up. Our terminal went down and my credit card company said it’d be three or four weeks before they could get me another terminal. I had 25 credit cards coming in a day and I had to find a way to get somebody that could overnight one to me, and Host Merchant Services did. I’ve been working with them for a couple of months and it’s been working great. I like their service. We process the payments with the Merchant credit card terminal and they go straight to the bank. We haven’t had any problems with it and I’d tell others to give Host Merchant Services a try.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Host Merchant Services had good reviews and after I made the phone call, it seemed like they were a good company to work with. Payments go through our POS system, some over the phone and a few on the internet. And we have a swiper that we use to process Cash and Carry ORs from the walk-in traffic coming to our retail store. The system is working fine and the fees in comparison to the program that we're on is a bit less. I called yesterday to resolve an issue and the people at Host Merchant Services were very positive, and they quickly went over setting things up. I've been very satisfied so far.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We have a software developing company for our business. In order to run the business through the software company, we have to go through Host Merchant Services. The service has been very good. We use it daily to process memberships and point of sales. We process payments either through the terminal or online.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I was having a little bit of trouble finding a good company. I researched and it looked like Host Merchant Services was a good fit. My experience with them has been great so far. Their customer service has been awesome. The rep that I had was always timely and knowledgeable. He walked me through all the questions I had, stayed on top of everything, and helped me out a great deal. There was one question he didn't know the answer to and he reached out to their acquiring bank and got me an answer in a couple of hours. I also got everything done in a timely fashion. We are a service-based business which operates in all 50 states and we use their software services, which is an authorized web portal that we log into. There, we enter a pin and phone to create the profile. It is like a MO/TO terminal. Anyone considering a new merchant processor should definitely reach out to Host Merchant Services.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I'm still in the beginning stages with Host Merchant Services and Allison and Danielle helped me a lot in setting up my wallet. They've been great. But I wish things like passwords were a little simpler to get in. For security purposes, it was built the way that it is, but there are a few different sites you have to use to check your transactions, credit card information, and the wallet. I wish everything is on one website, and that it is easier to read and understand and not so diagnostic. Their service machine works well, though. I'm a hairstylist so I just swipe payments through the credit card processor on my phone. Host Merchant has cheaper rates, too.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

We run credit cards with one of our banks and it was costing too much. So we needed a new credit card company and Host Merchant just had good reviews. We're a small business and they did a lot of small business works. We have been with Host Merchant for six months and dealing with them was easy. They sent us a machine out, had it all set up and it's ready to go. All we did was just plug it in. We didn’t have a lot of set up process work for it. We love it so far.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Host Merchant Services is certainly better than PayPal. I had examined a whole bunch of companies online and found Host Merchant's prices to be the best for our nonprofit company. My initial contact was very good. The rest was through email, and it went okay, too. We have an online virtual terminal and it is working very well, however, my experience with it has been so easy that I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I marked my first transaction as retail when it should have been MO/TO. But then, I've looked up the definitions, and I'm getting it right. So, we're off to a slower start until our customers realize that we can do credit cards. And hopefully, it will pick up this next year.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Host Merchant Services has a good reputation for taking care of people. I've been with them for 30 days now and their customer service has been really helpful. However, I am not a big fan of their POS system. I use it about 30 times a day to swipe numbers and put people's info in. The roller paper is too small, it doesn't have a keypad, and it's difficult to use in my location. Other than that, Host Merchant is okay and I'd tell others to take a look at them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Host Merchant Services is an authorized merchant for the POS system that we purchased. We filled up the application and they approved us. We got an online POS system. People buy things on our website, and sometimes, they'll call over the phone to place orders. Host Merchant Services processes the cards that we run and we haven't had anything negative. They're a reliable company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago and I accepted them because of lower fees. We process payments through a terminal and when we needed a mobile credit card machine, they supplied one at no charge. The customer service is always pleasant too. I've been pleased with Host Merchant Services ever since I hooked up with them five years ago and I have recommended new customers to them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Host Merchant Services had a very good rate that's comparable to the other rate we already had. We process payments through a regular terminal and the system works great. It processes the money and that's all that matters. Their customer service is excellent. I called them for the terminal paper and it was an easy operation. The rep who came in and set-up the system for us was professional. Host Merchant runs the operations smoothly and whatever they’re doing works. We've been with them for a couple of years and I would recommend them highly.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was in a really bad spot in trying to get my stocks set up because my bank didn’t step up to the plate. After comparing different companies, I liked what I saw regarding pricing with Host Merchant Services, so I decided to see if they could help me out at the last minute, and they were able to do their part. The no-contract setup was also important to me being a new startup. Their rep, Allison, was absolutely wonderful. She was the one who set up my account and she’s fantastic. Her interaction with me was one of the biggest things in me deciding to go with Host Merchant past my initial contact because she provided the customer service that I liked. She was very much part of me feeling more comfortable with this company I had never heard of. They were wonderful in getting set up.

I have the credit card processing through Host Merchant, and all they did was set it up so that I could accept credit cards. I don’t have any of their hardware but it's working fine. My POS people see my credit card purchases on their end. I still haven't received any of my credit card payments, though. When you do a couple 100 and only less than 50 is cash, the rest of it are credit cards. As a new business, I really need to see that money. I called this morning and left a message and I have not gotten a callback yet. I need Allison or somebody to call me.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We were having issues with our previous credit company and someone we know recommended Host Merchant Services. We got a terminal from them and we’ve had it for a few months now. Our experience has been good so far and we are pleased with their service.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We dealt with a software company that reached out to Host Merchant and helped us through our set up. We interact with the product every day but it depends on what season it is where we can get very busy. It’s the slow season right now so it calms down. We use the swiper on phones then we log in and type in the information in our computer and swipe the card. I contact the customer service if we have a problem and they help us resolve the issue. We've been working with them for at least four years and they have great service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Host Merchant has good pricing and users have glowing reviews online. We have been with them for only two days and our service machine is working good. I process payment through their Ingenico terminals at the register. My wife and the associates in the store interact with the product on a daily basis because they're using it as a way to process the transactions for customers in the consignment store. I had to call customer service three or four of times for general questions and people have been very responsive and have solved what I had asked them to do.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've had some not so great to very poor experiences with other credit card processing companies. But Host Merchant was very professional. They go all the way as far as authorizing, making sure that we're a legitimate business, which is good to me. It's the first party, so they have great transaction rates, the best I've ever had. If a person is an honest business owner, it's an easy experience with Host Merchant, one that's pleasant. I use their service as a credit card terminal. The reps and the people that I spoke with were very personable. The way the company functions on a whole is something that the employees find easy to get behind. They don't hide things and everything is out upfront. I get on Facebook, and I try to tell people on some of the florist pages how great Host Merchant is. They are one of a handful of honest companies. Overall, I love Host Merchant. They're fabulous and one of the best credit card processing companies out there.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We've been with Host Merchant Services for two years and I'm very satisfied. Where we were prior was becoming too expensive. Whenever they were turning over to a chip, we had to get a new machine. With Host Merchant Services, we have a desktop machine and if I get a certain error message or if I don't know how to do a certain transaction, I call and get somebody right then. They've always been very helpful and very nice about everything. They walk me through it and it's resolved within five minutes.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I signed up with a friend of mine who worked for Host Merchant Services and things have remained the same ever since. I'm happy with their product and service. They've done their job and they do well. The terminal batches are all automatic, everything out every night. Recently I had to deal with a chargeback. Based on the industry that I'm in, over the phone, taking credit cards, leaves me pretty vulnerable as the merchant. They gave me all the information that I needed to find out that I was Sol. And as a consumer, I felt educated. That's the best place to be, to know what's going on at least. So, I'm pleased with it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Host Merchant called me and they were local so our company reached out to them and we have been working with them for four years now. We barely ever use the point of sale machine and we use that for credit card probably three times a year. Most of our processing is done online where we can apply the payments directly and Host Merchant doesn't do it that way.

Host Merchant Services Company Information