toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Host Merchant Services was one of two names given to me and I researched online and they had a better rating than the other company. They processed me when others wouldn’t. And the procedure was two months offer for processing time than the other people I’ve been trying to call. Our Host Merchant is for a new website. So that’s going to be a brand new procedure for us. We do wholesale and retail on that website. Hopefully, we’ll have sales every day on it. We’ve been working with them for two weeks and so far, so good. The customer service rep I’m working with is Allison and she’s incredible and very responsible. It was a fantastic experience.

Host Merchant Services reached out to me through the website developers and they had better rates compared to other merchant services. I've had them for a couple of years now and processing things online has been good which I do on a monthly basis. It was a good experience overall.

Host Merchant Services reached out to me many years ago. They walked in and that’s how I knew they were a local company. The good thing about that is there is no contract. I can leave anytime I want with no fees for the terminals. If anything happens, they reach out to me within an hour and I don’t think any company can provide that type of service. I use the terminals every day and they are perfect. Everything is good with the customer service and they are just one phone call away. They’re very helpful people. I’ve been in the retail business for 20 years and this is probably one of the best companies I’ve ever been with. A lot of people want my business and for me to leave Host Merchant Services, but they haven’t given me a reason for me to leave them. They are convenient and they have the best service, competitive rates and free paper.

We got a letter from the merchant services company we were previously using. They wanted us to pay over $1,000 for a new machine so people could use the chip instead of the swipe method for debit and credit cards, which was totally bananas. So I started looking around for other people to go through. I found Host Merchant Services on a lot of different websites stating that they were one of the top companies, so I gave them a call.

Allison was in correspondence with me back-and-forth through the whole thing and she was a wonderful woman. She was super nice and she always got back to me promptly. She’s one of the only people who send emails with correct grammar and spelling. She also seemed enthusiastic and really supportive. That's what I was looking for. I wanted someone who was willing to work with me the way I work with our vendors.

When we got the machine, I called my IT guy and had him come in to make sure everything was hooked up right. It's been a month and we haven’t had any issues with it. Everything has been great. We’re in the office four days a week and we use it at least once a day. We do everything in-house so if people need to process a payment, they can either do it over the phone and we’ll key it in to the PIN pad, or we swipe the cards here. We have the regular terminal that hooks up to our internet through dial-up. Plus, we even got the chip reader machine from Host Merchant and theirs was free of charge. There are no crazy contracts either. It's just on a month-by-month basis. On top of it all, their pricing's still cheaper than what we had been using previously.

In addition, it’s nice to be able to talk to humans so much because we are like in an age of robots, at least over the phone. I don’t have to worry about that so much with them, which is great. Everyone is so personable. I even have Allison’s direct line. I’ve called and emailed her and I've never gotten automated responses. I always get a human response so that’s been really nice.

I saw Host Merchant on a ratings listing and they were listed at the top. I called in and they were very friendly, informative and I felt comfortable with them. I use the mobile swiper to process payments and we may also be getting the regular swipe machine as well. It’s for my wife’s medical practice. She just opened so we do not use it quite daily yet as she builds up her patient list but we definitely used it a number of times.

My customer service experience was also good. Any time I’ve had a problem, I called up and they’ve fixed it right away. They set everything up for me so it’s very easy to get going. They also have very good rates comparing pricing to other places. Overall, it's been a very good experience and we look forward to continuing business with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Host Merchant Services?

We’ve had Host Merchant Services since 2003 when we've started processing credit cards. They are the extension of our financial system and we’ve had an outstanding experience with them. I have recommended them to a few too. Host Merchant Services was the first one that offered me different options that nobody else had and I decided that that was the way to go. Since we're pretty loyal people, we stayed with them. Every time somebody else comes and says they have additional benefits to offer, Host Merchant Services would match the benefits so we haven't changed. They've always been very friendly and helpful too. Their rep Danielle and then Kim took care of me very well.

We use their product all day, every day at the pizza shop. We process the payments by swiping the person’s card on the machine and punching in the total. We also give a receipt if the person wants it. The payment then gets deposited into one settlement every night directly into our bank. When we were still using a regular dial-up line for our processing machine, it was getting slower as the technology was too fast for the regular phone line. It got to the point where it was taking about five swipes to get it to go through. Host Merchant Services told me exactly what I needed. I wasn't even able to settle anymore. I went home and put the machine on my personal Wi-Fi to get the credit card machine at a good speed, so that it could settle everything without problems. And as soon as I changed over to Wi-Fi, I had no more problems.

Host Merchant Services had a better rate. When we got the email from them, I had just spent the last couple of months having to argue a lot of different things with the old credit card company. The machine from Host Merchant Services is what we use for our credit card processing. We've had the same machine from another company and it just always had problems. Also, we had an issue with it and the company double charged every client that checked out that day. Their customer service was awful. Feeling appreciated and having people enjoy their jobs and wanting to be able to help us are the kind of things that mean most to us.

The only thing that we did have that we were debating whether or not we call about our machine from Host Merchant is it doesn’t accept debits. They did tell us that if we wanted to get a separate keypad to do debits, we could do that. Also, whenever I had to call Host Merchant Services for questions or do any clarification, everybody has always been really nice and nobody is giving me the runaround. The machine from Host Merchant Services has been the best credit card machine we've ever had.

We used a membership software company and they integrated with Host Merchant Services. Prior, we were using this PayPal business which we weren’t too happy with and when Host Merchant came along, we were definitely interested in switching over. HMS is all integrated in our website through the website service that we used. Everything is set up for reoccurring payments for our membership. If a member buys the product or whatever integrated through the website, we can just do a drop down to their name and it automatically charges their card that’s on file. We also do have a swiper that’s used for mobile devices but we don’t use it all that often. We have been with them for a year now and they met our needs. They're very attentive. Any time we've come to them with an issue or a problem, they seemed to jump on it and want to take care of it as a quick as possible. It was also easy to set up and a seamless system.

We needed to find somebody to get credit card terminals for our event, and we found Host Merchant Services on Google. Looking at the rates and how easy it was to get a hold of them, we decided to go with Host Merchant. We have an online store that we do tickets on and we just didn't have the terminals for that as well. We have worked with Host Merchant for a month now and their machine and service are excellent. We don't use it on a daily basis but only for our events. But it really contributed in our first event and it was the first time we accepted credit card in person. The girl that we worked with was really on top of everything and she got things done really quickly. I had a couple of calls that I had to call in for and it was really fast service. So, we're happy about that.

Host Merchant Services is local to us and they offer good service and got good people. We process payments online and through a regular terminal. I've spoken to their customer service reps once and they were pretty friendly and knowledgeable.

We were opening up a new business and we were looking for companies to process our credit card payments. We did some research and came across Host Merchant Services. We processed our payments in person in a terminal and we started working with them in January of 2016. Everyone's been pretty helpful. We've been in touch with the Compliance and, as far as I know, all the technicians who have worked with us had been great. Also, the service and machine have been great and there were no issues.

I was very happy with where I was with First Data, other than they were robbing me on rates. But towards the end, I didn't have a very good deal with them. I looked for a different provider and equipment and found Host Merchant Services' name. I read their reviews and they interested me so I called the company. I've been with them since April of this year.

Host Merchant is very good to work with. However, I do not like their equipment. They have VeriFone and their equipment is sub-par to First Data. The problem with the VeriFone equipment is I have to go to two different machines. With the previous company, I didn't have to because of FleetCards. I called about every other day 'cause my credit card machine isn't working as my IP address keeps getting dropped by these machines. They don't adjust to the new IP address which seems to change every day according to the technical experts at Host Merchant. So my credit card machines were done by DSL with a phone backup. And last week, every other day, the IP was dropped and I had to reprogram which was a pain in the wazoo.

Their customer service told me there's no fixing it. I gotta power the machine down and power it back up. And then when I do that cycle, it gets it back and going again. That's what tech support told me unless I wanted to go to a static IP address which would cost me more. So, right now, I'm just going through it. I'm struggling to do that until I decide to make a different plan, maybe they get different equipment or I don't. But it's not enough to make me change at the moment. Their service and help were great. I love my rep and the technical support. They're terrific. And the machine works great when it works. Overall, Host Merchant is fine as long as you don't take FleetCards. You're gonna have to expect equipment troubles too. They may blame my internet thing, but I didn't have that problem when I had First Data's equipment. I never had dropped internet and it worked all the time.

I've been working with Host Merchant Services for a few months now. I first saw them on the Better Business Bureau and then I got them because of the good reviews I read online and because there's no contract with them. We're processing payments using a regular terminal and the service machine is working perfectly. I've called their customer service team a few times in the beginning, and they've been great in handling my requests.

A friend of the family referred us to Host Merchant Services. And we ended up switching and going with them because of the price. We've been with them four or five years now. And we use the Ingenico, the credit card processors where we actually insert the credit card into the machine. We've had several minor incidents but they've always been available to correct any problem that we've had. They were just here today to update our computers. We're having some issues and they were right on it. The reps have been good, over the phone and in person. We've had a real good rapport with them and they've offered good service. We also get a lot of solicitations, people wanting our business, and we've continued to stay with Host Merchant Services. We're happy where we're at.

We have a scanner from Host Merchant Services. I use the terminal to swipe the card and I keep the computer report of the customer. I also have a separate computer where all my customer information goes in. John and all of them are a bunch of nice guys. My accountant reached out to them. Two guys came over, met me and set up my whole system. They gave us free paper rolls. Also, I got great feedback. They're right there for my call if anything goes wrong. A guy sent me a report in the beginning how I'm doing from last month to this month in my sales. And I can reach the guys at any time. Also, they send me an email saying, "Hi, how are you doing, Iris? How are you doing this weekend?" They're very good. I like Host Merchant Services and would recommend them to a friend. They're better than Direct and the other one that I had. They were crooks.

I have been with Host Merchant Services since 2011 and they always respond when something comes up. When it goes offline, I call and they tell me what to do. It broke once so I called them then they brought a new one in the afternoon. Every time I need anything, they deal with it.

A friend of mine has a relative that had used Host Merchant Services in the past and recommended them. I also looked for several options online and Host was more highly recommended. We opened up an account during the first part of April and Cameron was helpful getting the system set up for me. I've had no problems once I understood how the machine actually works. I was able to get a hold of their technical staff easy. They were very helpful and assisted me in the operation of the machine. I pay online with the reader. I'm satisfied with them and I would recommend their service.

Before I reached out to Host Merchant Services two years back, I was using PNC and the rates were going up and up and up. I asked one of our friends down the Middletown who has a bridal salon, "Who does your credit cards for you?" and they told me it was Host and gave me all the information. I called Host and we discussed it. Plus, I didn't have to buy a machine. Our machine was on the fritz and I didn't want to spend $1000 for a new credit card machine. They told me they would me give me one to use. The only catch to it was if I stopped using Host Merchant Services I have to give it back, which was fine with me. So we went over the information and I decided to use them. I’ve been with them for six years now and so far, it's been pretty good.

We have a terminal and whether it's a chip card or a swipe card, we don’t have a problem using it. It's straightforward. The only thing is when I get my monthly bill and I'm looking at the pie chart of how many Visas, MasterCards, Discoveries and so on, for some crazy reason, we’re doing a lot more Visa and MasterCard credit cards than we do with debit. Before we went to the chip machine, we were doing a 50/50 split and I can't understand why I'm doing more credit cards when it hasn't really changed in business. We also do a lot of debit cards but it's not showing on the pie chart.

I have called them before about that and what they explained to me was how they process it depends on which bank and whatever credit card we use. Sometimes it's processed a certain way where sometimes you need a signature and sometimes you don't. But my concern is in the past seven months that we've been using the chip machine, it's registering more credit cards than debit cards. There are also things that sometimes that go offline. I have to call them up and they'll walk me through it to get it back online.

Other than that, they're very cooperative and accommodating. Host is a very good company. I'd even have other banks over the past couple of years come in and calls from other merchant services that want our business. I took my last six months or a year of invoices, showed it to them, they saw the rates, they went through it, and they couldn't compete. Host Merchant Services had them hands down. If somebody ever asked me, I have always recommended Host Merchant Services.

Host Merchant Services reached out to me and there was no hidden cost, no contract and no annual customer fees. They supplied me the machines with paper for the machines and their rates were just as good as the old company before them. I've been working with them for at least five years now and I process my payments through terminals that are IP-connected. I also have called them in the past when I needed to refund somebody and forgot to put in a tip before I batch the cards out and it's quick as a phone call. Usually, they have a 24-hour number, they answer the phone immediately and most techs walk me through or anything I needed to do. Also, the service and the machines have been working just fine. I've had three different card service providers since I've been here in the last 11 years and their top-notch service is by far, the best I've ever had.

I needed some new equipment and the current company that I was with wouldn’t allow me to buy my own equipment elsewhere and program it. They would only do it themselves with their equipment and their equipment was three times as much. I got online and did a lot of research and there’s some man on the internet that’s made it his life mission to talk about the companies that have integrity compared to the ones that don’t and Host came up first. So I contacted them.

When I spoke to them at Host, they said that they would work with my equipment. They didn’t have any guarantees that it would work but they would certainly try for me. I also love the fact that they’re a family-owned business. I feel I have better communication with them and that if I needed help I could get it quickly. The service was fantastic. I’ve had one on one with Allison. My whole download was with Tom when I did have a problem with my machine. Fortunately, the people I purchased it from, they sent me out a new equipment right away. Tom reprogrammed it for me, it was simple and easy and it’s working great.

When our website provider suggested Host Merchant Services, I looked into it and then decided to give it a try because of its cost. If the customer is logged in to their accounts, processing of their payments is done through our website. However, when people select the payment option, it sometimes shows up as an unsecured website and that worries people. I don't understand it but I've never really told anybody about it and never had to call their customer service except when I signed up. Aside from that, everything else is fine.

For more than four years now, I've been working with Host Merchant Services. When I was getting the system, they made it really easy. They gave me a credit card processing thing and when they came and set me up, that went well. I called their technical staff a couple of times when I ran into problems too. One of their guys was really helpful and he came out to the shop.

I like the fee structures of Host Merchant Services. I process payments through a terminal that I purchased through them and the machine has worked great. I've had some issues getting my gift card processability switched over to that terminal but that was due to an error on my part that I didn't tell them I used the gift cards. But they have been very supportive and are shipping out the new terminal now that has my gift card processability downloaded to it. They've given me very prompt and good feedback and working with them has been successful so far. I've worked exclusively with Alison and she has coordinated quite well. I know that they are having some difficulties in getting information that I needed but she passed it up the ladder and I was told the president of the company had to get involved. Once that happened, I got results really quickly.

I was unhappy with our old service because I needed a chip machine and they wouldn't give me one for free. Now I process payments through the card machine I got from Host Merchant Services. The transition was very smooth from one company to theirs and they've given me satisfactory service. If I have a question on how to answer something, I call the 800 number and they answer the question right away over the phone to help me out. For instance, I called them when the machine asked for a PIN when I run a card through it. I don't have access to patients' PIN nor do I want them to key their PIN on my pad because it's behind my desk. So I called and they told me how to override it without having the PIN put in. The support is quick, easy, friendly and if I need tape for my machine, they send it out right away for free.

A personal recommendation from someone led us to reach out to Host Merchant Services. We've been working with them for about three years now. We use the terminal to process our payments and we haven't had any problems with our service and the machine. Prior to Host, we had another provider and Host has been a significant improvement over that other company as far as customer service and response to any issues. In handling issues, their response time was quick. Communication was great and follow-up was good. We could always get somebody right away. We've had a very positive experience with Host and we're quite happy with the service.

I was with one company who took money out so the money I took in did not match what they were depositing in the bank which made it very difficult to reconcile. But with Host Merchant Services, the statements are easy to read and I know the person who sold it to me. Also, it's easy to balance the account or to reconcile from the paperwork.

I got the 510 Omni 3730LE terminal and it's very easy to use. The rep comes down every six months or a year to check if need more paper for it and he supplies us with paper. I’ve had to call a couple of times because there was something wacky with the deposit. The fellow at the help desk worked through it very easily so the service is good.

Now, I get a lot of phone calls from people saying that things have changed and we don’t have to go through a company like Host Merchant. They're saying that I've had so few chargebacks and that I'm eligible for a program which cuts out the merchant processing service I'm using, but I don't believe them. It doesn't sound good to me.

Before getting Host Merchant, we talked to several different people, and signed up with another company that essentially lied to us about their fees and cost. We often have a slow period in December, January, February and sometime in March, and what jumped out at me was even if we didn’t run a card, we had a flat fee of almost $50 a month. So, we started talking to other people to ask about their charges if we don’t run a card that much. And Host was one of a couple that said "we won’t bill you if you don’t have any fees." We’ve talked to Host a couple of times, and they’ve always done pretty much what they said. We have a terminal in the office to run cards and we do it two ways. One is we swipe the card, and the other is we’ll let the customer call us with their credit card information, then we’ll punch it in, but that way we don’t have a record of it.

We’ve been doing credit cards since 2002, and it’s always been the Verifone style machine. And Host's machine works really well, but I’m not really wild about the way this one prints. It prints small and since I’m an older guy, it doesn’t fit me. I would prefer a larger receipt than the one that we have. Even the secretary that works in here doesn't like it either and she’s in her 40s. Other than that, I’d recommend Host Merchant because right now they’re the only ones I know that are doing what they say. We’ve had bad experiences with phone and credit card companies and we don’t have time to deal with that. To me, a credit card machine is a lot like a telephone. You pick it up, you expect it to work. The credit card machine may sit here unused for two or three days, but when you need it, you don’t want to wrestle with it.

We've been using Host Merchant Services to process online payments for almost 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with them. Every time I've called them, they've been very responsive. They've gotten back in touch with me if they weren't there and worked with me on any issues I had.

We had a hard time getting set up with Host Merchant Services because we've got three separate accounts that we charge to. It took a little while to get things on track. A few different people were involved and they had to come up to our location two or three times to get things taken care of. But everybody worked really well with us and they got to our goals quickly and painlessly. Everyone is very customer-oriented which is not a norm these days. They're also willing to get to the goal however they need to. We have online payments through our parent portal, and the credit card machine where we do payments by phone and manual payments. It was a very easy transition and we picked up where we left of.

I had a booth renter who used HMS for her services. I let Ken from HMS looked at the provider I was using at the time and he showed me that their company was a better option. I switched and have been with them for three years now. I have their regular terminal and it works fine. Over the last few years, I have had to call customer service twice and if I had any issues, I have Ken's cell phone number. I just call or text him directly and he handles it immediately. Sometimes I deal with Danielle in the office and they pretty much handled everything for me. My experiences with Danielle and Ken made a world of difference. Having that personal attention and availability when I had something that might go wrong was more important to me than dealing with another outside company where everything had to be redone via phone and computer. So far, I had very few issues and HMS provided excellent service.

Host Merchant Services Company Profile