Learn More

4.6/5 (641 ratings)

About GoodHire

GoodHire provides FCRA-compliant background checks and screening solutions for businesses and organizations of all sizes. With easy-to-use workflows, built-in compliance tools, and a mobile-friendly candidate experience, GoodHire speeds up and simplifies the screening process to help you hire candidates more quickly.

Pros

• Instant identity verification
  • Criminal record checks
  • Customized paid plan options

Cons

• No free version

Bottom Line

GoodHire is a background check service for businesses that can be used to screen potential employees. The company also provides services for job hunters, including self-background checks and resources.

Top GoodHire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Using GoodHire was easy and pretty straightforward... It fits our needs, and they're efficient. It's affordable for us for the amount that we use it. Their reps were also pleasa...

Verified

Utilizing GoodHire to run a background check is super easy. The people who work for the company are fantastic too. Every time I had a question there, they had been quick to respon...

What is GoodHire?

GoodHire is a comprehensive and straightforward background check service. It also provides features that help employers adhere to screening regulations and compliance standards. GoodHire uses an advanced technology platform that simplifies and speeds up workflows so it can deliver fast and accurate screenings. You can see a demo of GoodHire's services and plans on its website.

What does GoodHire look for?

For each candidate it screens, GoodHire combs through a criminal history database and flags any misdemeanor criminal convictions, pending criminal cases or instances of incarceration. It also verifies any info the candidate provides, including employment, education and professional license history. Some states regulate what can be reported in a background check, but most employers can also request driving records.

GoodHire also offers FBI-level screenings for federal government agencies. Its Level 2 check can uncover sealed records and searches for arrests, convictions and incarceration related to violent behavior and crimes against children. This screening is usually for candidates applying for adoption or for a job working with children or the elderly.

GoodHire pricing

GoodHire is transparent about its pricing; however, if your business does frequent background checks, you might be able to negotiate a price with one of its team members. GoodHire offers three distinct screening packages for companies that perform fewer than 25 background checks yearly (larger companies can inquire about special pricing):

Basic Plan

•  $29.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes around one day
  • Includes a Social Security number trace and national criminal and sex offender database searches

Standard Plan

• $54.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes one to two days
  • Includes all Basic Plan services plus domestic watchlist and county criminal court searches (checks the past seven years of court records for up to three counties)

Premium Plan

• $79.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes two to four business days
  • Includes all services in the Standard Plan as well as education and employment verification

GoodHire's Standard and Premium plans are subject to additional third-party fees, but the company won't charge you for these without your permission. All new users are subject to a one-time setup fee of $49.99 for account verification. GoodHire’s plans are customizable, with add-ons like identity checks, advanced criminal and civil record searches, motor vehicle record checks, credit reports and drug screenings.

GoodHire FAQ

How far back does GoodHire check?
GoodHire usually pulls records from seven years ago or longer, depending on state regulations.
How does GoodHire verify employment?
GoodHire finds verified phone numbers then calls listed employers up to five times over five business days to confirm applicants’ tenures and job titles.
Can I do a personal background check with GoodHire?
Yes, you can perform a background check on yourself with GoodHire.
Is GoodHire ideal for small businesses?
Yes, GoodHire is a good option for small businesses due to its customizable service plans, easy-to-use website, online portal and transparent pricing.

Is GoodHire legit?

Yes, GoodHire is a legit screening service that offers pre-employment and other types of background checks for small to midsize businesses. If you’re looking for an employee screening service, GoodHire might be the right fit for your company.

GoodHire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoodHire?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

GoodHire is easy to navigate. On the employer side when you’re doing employment verification, it’s very easy to respond to those verifications and very straight and to the point on the reports. So I like those things. The cost is decent and my CHRO has felt it is within the range of what other places charge. But there was one time when I put somebody's name in wrong and the candidate that we were doing the check on, couldn't figure out how to fix that when she went into provide the information. And so for some reason, GoodHire never flagged that. So they said her Social Security matched her name and everything, but it didn't. Also, there were other things where they were like, “Oh, we couldn’t verify employment of this person because the name was wrong.”

I was like, “So wait. GoodHire ran the Social Security numbers that came attached to this certain name. And that seems fine to them. But when they called the employer, they couldn't put two and two together and be like, “Oh, yeah. Silly employer. She must have put it in wrong. But we can see that this number is attached to this name. And it seems like it's probably a likely mistake and that she just put the name there wrong.”

If they're going to be lax on the Social Security Number, I should be making the same assumptions for employment verification. I wish they just flagged it off. Other than that, I'd recommend GoodHire. It's a very easy platform to use and it's really nice because you don't want to have an employer reaching out to customer service every couple of days just because they can't figure out how to navigate it. It's not like you have to create passwords and logins. It's just a quick reply to an email.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we love hearing from customers!

Get buying tips about Employment Screening Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

I use them for background checks. GoodHire is convenient. I get the reports done timely. It is very easy to navigate and get everything I need.

Amy,
    We love hearing from customers, especially when things are going well! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

- The GoodHire Team

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

So far, so good. As far as quick turnaround, I never had a problem. I do like the fact that we're able to do online chat as well as calling in. Both are extremely quick and thorough. I have been using GoodHire for a little over a year now and haven't run across any issues as of yet. I don't have a lot of experience other than GoodHire and ADP, but one of the things that I do like about GoodHire is that it also does tie in a lot of HR Q&As, forms and utilities for us to be able to access and use. If we ever had something called a pre adverse action or an adverse action notification, I was able to go and pull forms that are not only federal but also state and local that we need to use to be able to stay compliant. GoodHire is more of a full package than just that one specific service.

Corbi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience using GoodHire, we appreciate the positive feedback and truly value you as a customer!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

We used to have Sterling, and it was hard to get ahold of somebody. It is not the feedback that we have with GoodHire though. It's so good all around. It's really easy to use and it operates exceptionally. If I have any questions, comments, or concerns, I can easily get somebody on the phone or chat with somebody and it's very helpful. It's a blessing to have them.

Hi Rosio,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience using GoodHire! "Customer delight" is one of our core values, and the extra effort our Customer Support team makes to help both customers and candidates is one of the top reasons customers choose and stay with GoodHire. We're happy to have you as a customer.

Original review: July 30, 2021

GoodHire is quick to help me out or get me answers. It's simple to get through the process to run a background check. Last year, we went through a transition with our payroll system, and they were offering who they use for their background that feeds into their system. We tried to use it for a short amount of time but didn't like it at all so we went back to GoodHire.

It's great that they allow us to create our own documents in there because most companies have some new hire packet that they have specific forms they want and they are able to accommodate that for us. There hasn't been anything that I've had major issues with. Once in a while, we've got issues where it takes quite a while to get a background back. But I understand that it's because the county we're working with probably isn’t electronic, so they have to pull the documents, and that has nothing to do with GoodHire. That's got to do with the county that we're pulling information from.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

It was very easy to go online and enter the information and get back what I needed. GoodHire does a great job. It's easy to use, fast, efficient. Depending on what you do, it got a little pricey for me. But I could have cut it down a little with less information.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

They claimed it would take 1-3 business days, paid for the full (most expensive) report, later that day they claimed it would then take 7 business days, I immediately asked for a refund and was denied even though the report was nowhere near being complete. I went with a different company and they provided the FULL report in 48 hours. Do not recommend Goodhire unless you have two weeks to wait.

Aaron,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with GoodHire’s service. In an effort to respond to your review, we’ve looked into your account and see that the county check you ordered did take longer than normal. While county checks can take longer to process, the amount of time your personal background check results took is highly unusual.

I understand your frustration and would like to reaffirm our commitment to supporting our customers. I'd like to offer a full refund for your personal background check. If this is acceptable, please reach out to our Customer Support team.

Mike Grossman, CEO, GoodHire

Original review: July 28, 2021

GoodHire is more thorough than the previous provider that we used. The process is easy although lately, it's been taking a painful amount of time. Other than the delays, they're a great company to work with.

Carmen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience using GoodHire.

In an effort to respond to your review, we’ve looked into your account and see that while most of your reports were returned within one day, two of the county checks you ordered did take longer than normal due to county court delays caused by Covid closures, but should not have taken as long as they did. To reaffirm our commitment to supporting our customers, we are crediting your account for two county checks.

Again, thanks for sharing your feedback, and thank you for being a GoodHire customer!

Mike Grossman, CEO, GoodHire

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

The reason that we went with GoodHire is that side by side, their price was decent and the customer service was exceptional. It sold me. Our salesperson was fantastic. They also give you the option to speak with somebody on the phone if you get in a jam, if you're new and you're learning it, and that's super important. As to other platforms, you just have a chat option. You don't have a live person to talk to. We had a previous provider and it's much better with GoodHire. The customer service is much better and much more concise. The website is a little more intuitive. It's a little easier and a little friendlier. But because of COVID, the experience varies from state to state. It usually goes pretty quickly, within one day. Some of the counties and the courts are closed for background checks right now because of COVID so sometimes it can take up to two or three days. But that's fine. We expect that.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

They've helped me with a couple different things and they've been pretty responsive. I've done a background check the last couple days and the turnaround time was short. They have a really good online system. It appears all the data seems to be correct. The only inconvenience is that I did a bulk purchase a couple months ago but I'm unable to do that again. I like that I got a discount for buying a pack of 10 but I can't even do that anymore. So I'm not sure what happened in the system. It's easier to purchase one pack and then not have to worry about it for 5 or 10 different background checks.

GoodHire response

Thank you for the 5-star review, we appreciate your feedback! I also want to let you know that you can still get a discount for pre-paying for a bulk purchase. Log into your account, then click on the 'Get a discount' link near the upper right corner. From there you can select the amount you'd like to pre-pay, as well as types of checks. Please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support team if you have further questions. Thanks for being a GoodHire customer!

GoodHire Company Information