Call toll free
4.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GoodHire provides FCRA-compliant employment background checks and screening solutions for businesses and organizations of all sizes. Featuring easy-to-use workflows, built-in compliance tools, and a mobile-friendly candidate experience, GoodHire speeds and simplifies the background check process to help you screen and hire candidates faster.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

579 GoodHire Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We are a staffing agency and so, we have a lot of background checks that we do every month. We were unhappy with our current background service so, we did some research and GoodHire is the one that came up. It's better than what we used to have. It's much, much faster, much more user-friendly, and all around much better. I like that when there is an alert that happens, we're able to clear that and make sure it's okay. We're also able to request comments about the alert from our candidates specifically. That makes it extremely easy, as in all in one place and consolidated.

The return time is just phenomenal on what we've had so far. We haven't really had any issues and I like that it tells us exactly how much each background check is going to cost and that we're able to create packages for each individual client that we need. Also, our controller set up our account and she said it was super simple and very quick. And I've had to use the live chat a few times. Everyone has been very quick at response time. When they have to step away to check something, they're very good about letting me know they're gonna be away for two to three minutes and they're never gone for very long. Someone is always very quick to jump on and I don't have to wait for very long to connect with somebody. It has been a really easy experience so far and it seems very affordable. A lot of the services we have ordered has been cheaper than our past background company. We're very satisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Employment Screening Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The customer service at GoodHire is a lot better than the other background check service providers we've had before. I appreciate their quick response time and the friendliness of everybody that has helped me. That was a huge plus. I have to go via phone tree with a lot of the other companies, or they’re not able to get me an answer right away versus GoodHire where they seem to be able to make things work quickly.

We had been working in the beginning with somebody named Dan, and he was knowledgeable. He didn't insult our intelligence because we have done this before with background check companies. I pretty much came to the table already knowing what my questions and concerns were gonna be as far as processing. He took away the base part that he maybe would normally do with another company. We cut to the chase, so that was nice. He wasn’t pushy at all on us. He wanted to make sure that we felt comfortable and had time to think about it. And then we moved on to a dedicated customer service rep named Tracy, who’s been phenomenal. Anything that we needed, she made it happened. She is responsive to emails and has jumped on calls with us to troubleshoot early on.

The only sticky situation we got into was the transitioning in between Dan and Tracy where there probably could have been an improvement in communication. There were some things lacking from our reports that we did, and some things that were suggested after the fact when we were to go start processing reports. They’ve spun something new on us and it delayed our reporting, and packages weren’t put together correctly. But I could not say it is one person’s fault. That just seemed like a lot of things were lost in translation between the passing.

But other than that, utilizing GoodHire is simple and straightforward. They were able to put together a package for us so I do not have to guess what I need to get done. It’s all put together for me already. The processing time is quick. I did not feel like I got a bad experience my first couple of times using it. Sometimes our clients are really demanding and want to know updates as we get them or updates in real time about different subsections on reports. It is nice that we are able to see that with GoodHire. With the return time on the reports, it met our expectations and what we were expecting. We have only got to use GoodHire twice now, and I can say that it’s been a really great experience so far. I now have very high expectations of them because of the quality of service they have already given to us, and I feel like that’s the standard they have set. So I hope that we can continue to see that level of service here in 2019.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The company that we were with was like an older corporate, not very well-organized company that did a lot of stuff offshore, and there were a lot of response rate issues. That company had a bit more of a stodgy, outdated feeling, and I was concerned about having that experience again, so we looked for another option. I did a search for background check companies and then I asked some people and got a bunch of recommendations. We were trying out two companies but I wanted to go with GoodHire because I had read some great things. Also, I really liked the look of GoodHire. When I saw their website, it jumped out to me as being clean and fresh and everything I saw there made me think that they were the answer to all of the issues that we had with the old company.

The GoodHire rep who gave us the presentation was awesome but then he handed us over to a person who was gonna be our account manager. They were great when we worked with them. They were really nice, friendly, and accommodating. But we were trying to do a smooth transition from our previous company where we had the same sort of packages already set up without having to customize so much. And when we tried to do that with GoodHire, we had a hard time coming up with things that were gonna tick all the boxes we needed.

Then, when we ran our first one, something happened that either had to do with the amount of time it was taking or with us trying to make sense of what the package or the test was called. And when we reached out to the account manager, it took a bit of time and we were disappointed. We called and left a message and then from the email, we might have gotten an out-of-office message. Then we were like, “What do we do now?" because that was our point of contact and the first time we were reaching out to them. It felt like a roadblock but then ultimately, we were able to reach out to someone else and someone called us back or emailed us. But we felt then that GoodHire was this big corporate entity and we were like, "Who are we gonna even get? Is there gonna be anyone that’s gonna care about us?”

So we did only one or two times with GoodHire and then we wound up using Crimcheck, the other company that Debbie, my co-worker, had come across beforehand and that she has been working with. We were doing GoodHire at the same time as Crimcheck was being tried out. Crimcheck's website wasn’t as modern as GoodHire's but Crimcheck's packages were really easy for us to translate what we currently had, to what they were offering. Also, their company is a lot smaller so we were able to reach people really quickly. Debbie has started talking to one of their reps and that person is who we would be mainly communicating with. The contact was more personal and intimate and Debbie was getting responses within an hour, so she really wanted that same level of service.

When we started with GoodHire, we were really dated since we had been working with the old company for a while, and that had a big impact on things. Had we not been really slowed down and had we been in a place where we weren’t looking for the worst, we would have been a bit more patient with GoodHire. We also thought that we were months overdue and that we should have done it four or five months ago and switched companies, so we were in panic mode. If we weren’t and if it was a toss-up, we may have gone fully with GoodHire over Crimcheck or we may have used them both equally. Still, I thought GoodHire was really great and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I used a different background service company before and I had GoodHire implemented about a month and a half after I started in Heartland Payroll. It's a small payroll company that I worked with and they indicated that they were partnered with and integrated their system with GoodHire. After using GoodHire, I would not go back to that other company. I really like the way that their system works and I had the easiest background check request that I’ve done with them.

At first, I worked with their representative to set up the check that I wanted and later, I developed the secondary one. All I do is go up into the system, put in the person’s name and email address, and that’s about it. However, there was one particular individual that had multiple county checks that needed to be done and at the time, I ran into some problems with the state of California. That background check took almost four weeks and though I had the time to spend on that, that was not a reasonable expectation. The explanation I got was that in California, you had to go to physically pull the records and it sounded a little far-fetched to me. But that was the only negative experience I got. I called GoodHire twice about it and I got the same answer but I don’t know if the answer really satisfied me. However, I know they did something because they followed-up with me so for that piece, it was fine.

Also, when doing a check through GoodHire, I have to wait for the employee to complete the whole onboarding process before I can use the integrated version of the background check with GoodHire. It’s easier for me to just do my onboarding in Heartland then go to the GoodHire site and press the button there to speed up the process. Otherwise, if somebody doesn’t fill out the paperwork until the day before they start, I can’t do the background check and I have to wait that long. But it’s not really on GoodHire’s part. It’s on Heartland Payroll. Other than that, the drug tests come back almost spontaneously and my experience with GoodHire was very good and very easy.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We were using Verified First as our background check company before. Then we went with GoodHire and the communication has been a lot faster and there has been much quicker turnaround, so that was a plus. It has been a lot easier to get a hold of somebody over the phone. Also, I usually follow up with an email and I get a response back quickly. But GoodHire has been taking much longer for us to get the results of background checks back and sometimes it took a couple of days or a couple of weeks. With the other company, it was instantaneous, and we got the results two seconds after we submitted our request.

In addition, the learning curve has been a little bit bigger than I was expecting. When I select the products that I want to order, we might run a driver’s license, depending on the company and the location of the hotel. When I choose the background check option, the next screen gives me a whole bunch of other options to add. That was very confusing for the team members as they didn’t know if they were supposed to select any of the other options or to continue with the background check. We did a conference call to show them how to do it and that was helpful. Overall, though, GoodHire has been pretty good. We run the driver's license and the records of our team members and we use the drug testing aspect as well. The criminal background check goes back seven years and there’s also the county check. We utilize all these services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoodHire?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I came to know GoodHire through my corporate headquarters. I’ve used many other companies for my tenants, but it has been different times. Whatever was available at that time showed up online. But for the employee checks, I always use GoodHire for this company. GoodHire is much easier. Also, it's very quick. I get the basic check within a couple of hours, so that’s really helpful. I let the employees put in their information. I just write the name and their email address and GoodHire handles everything else. I’m satisfied with GoodHire's service and I always recommend it.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I researched GoodHire as we were looking for a company that costs less than others. We’re still using some others and compared to ease of use, GoodHire is much easier to use on the front end, but they're not as quick. Some of the background checks are what we needed for some of our other programs, but they weren’t slow either. They provide a pretty good product and the ease of use for our employees to fill it out on their own and give permission on their own. My only issue for the program we’re using them for is they quote us one price, and they charge us more than that several times.

Original review: April 23, 2019

GoodHire cut a deal with my franchise, and it seemed to be a good deal. I'm glad that I utilized their system to run a background check. I had a firefighter that had a shoplifting charge. He seemed like he was gonna be an excellent candidate, and then all of a sudden, that came back. That was definitely not the type of guy I want working for me. The GoodHire system is pretty much spot on. It's very easy to use, and I’m satisfied. Use it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I Google-searched background checks and came across GoodHire. Some of the experience in using them are good but some of them took quite a long time. A couple of days ago, I got a report back which took over two weeks. We’re in the trucking industry and the kind of stuff that they run doesn’t work in the industry we’re in. These guys don’t typically have a lot of patience waiting for answers. I talked to the reps from GoodHire when the reports were taking too long to get back and they just said the same thing. They put it on the court system. Other than the wait time, everything was fine.

Original review: April 21, 2019

My experience with GoodHire was easy. It is super user-friendly and its system works great. I just plug in the necessary HR documents and the information, then it takes it from there and we get an answer within four days depending on when the information was entered.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Our operating officer found GoodHire and liked it, so he referred them to the human resources department. We had another background check service provider then but GoodHire is much more streamlined. The background checks go faster and we like it more. So far, everything is running smoothly.

Original review: April 19, 2019

GoodHire had the best reviews and really good pricing. I called them during the intro part, and the rep walked me through the first background check report that I was running. I just didn't wanna mess up. I've been very happy with the service and they're really quick. Running a background check through them is simple and straightforward. It takes a day or two to get the information back. Also, I used the consent form which is nice because I have everything that needs to be in there to send to the new hire. I just do that information and put it into the report to run.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've done a couple of background checks with GoodHire and it was very easy. They didn't ask for too much information and then, getting the information back could go from the same day to two days, depending on the person. I've spoken to their customer service through the little messenger thing on the side. I just had someone contact me because I got an alert for a candidate. They said that for me to speak to them about the candidate I would have to be on the phone. So, I just gave them my phone number and they called me. I did a background check for a candidate that was in Puerto Rico and they don't do Puerto Rico but they were very good and they refunded me the money, right then and there.

Original review: April 17, 2019

GoodHire is a preferred vendor for our HRIS system, BambooHR. Running a background check with GoodHire was easy and cost-effective. We do a minimum sort of check which takes that takes less than half a day. Overall, GoodHire's service has been good. They should keep doing good work.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Our corporate office was doing background checks but they had a lot on their plate with the different properties they own. We ended up trying GoodHire and it has been working out since. We’ve done about four background checks and everything has been great. We just put the name and run the report. It’s an easy setup and the report comes in quickly. Also, they keep us updated on the progress which is nice.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Utilizing GoodHire to run background checks is easy. I do whatever order we still have to check and if I'm not sure about something, I'll message them on the chatline and they'll answer my questions. I then go forward with whatever it is I'm ordering. While the system is not bad, it would be easier if we had an account rep since we do it as often as we do. I requested it several times, but nobody ever comes back to me or give me an acknowledgment that I asked if we could have an account rep. It would be nice to have a contact person who knows everything we need and says, “Hey. Can you help us?” instead of me trying to speak to three different people. If I don’t have the information, I would have to go back and chat with someone and explain the whole situation all over again. It gets frustrating at times.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Was a client at GoodHire for over 2 years. Most of the time the system works fine for background checks. A background check is a necessary evil that you just want done simply, correctly and at the price you contracted to pay. When it does not work with GoodHire the wheels come off. I have a contract that calls out to pay $30 per check. We always order the exact same service. Most of the time I am billed correctly. They are always trying to upgrade you or do a "inspection" of your location for an added fee, but if you resist the system works most of the time.

This most recent time I was charged $39.99 just out of the blue. After holding for just about 2 minutes I was able to explain the problem to the call center who said "Let me talk to someone. It will just be a minute." and they put me on hold for over 40 minutes (until I gave up and called back). The new representative agrees my contract is for $30 and they charged $39.99, but cannot refund. I know they are a large company, but they could have cared less if I stayed or left. Guess my business was not worth the $9.99 overcharge.

I moved on to Crimcheck and I am always billed the contract amount and no up-selling goes with the order. Wish I would have spent the last 2 years with Crimcheck. If you don't mind hour phone calls being told, "Yes. We should have charged you your contract, but we will not do anything about it because you already paid use GoodHire." If you want to spend your time on your business use Crimcheck.

GoodHire response

Of course we’re disappointed that you were less than satisfied with our background check services and customer support. In an effort to respond to your review, we’ve looked into your account and see that there was some confusion around past due invoices and our pricing structures. We understand your frustration and would like to reaffirm our commitment to supporting customers. Following a conversation with our customer support experts, we're refunding the amount for the higher background check price paid, and are taking steps to ensure customer support can better explain these types of situations in the future. We'd love to have you back as a customer if you'd be willing to give us another try.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Goodhire is way better than the service provider I used before. The other one was just doing a background check but it wasn’t doing an extended background check that I needed. Goodhire is what I need. This is what I was looking for.

Original review: April 12, 2019

GoodHire is very similar to the other provider I used in the past. The system operates well and meets my company's expectations.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was using another database company and they were charging twice as much as GoodHire and took more time to get the results. So, I switched to GoodHire. They were a company I did research with on the internet and their customer service has been pretty good. Running a background check with GoodHire has also been great, so far and my colleague and I are happy with them.

Original review: April 10, 2019

GoodHire has been much easier and quicker to use than the other system I've used. Plus their customer service people were great.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I'm an HR manager and I used GoodHire several years back. I liked that vendor then and I wanted to use them here. They were easy to use in running a background check and the turnaround time was super quick, so they were good that way. The pricing was good too, except for New York. This system and the reps have been great.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We used the State of Minnesota for background check services before. Compared to GoodHire, that check wasn't that thorough but we didn't pay for it. Using GoodHire to run a background check was simple. Also, it was quick to run the check and receive the information. That took a day. The system has operated very well. Our experience with GoodHire has been very good and we're satisfied.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I had used the GoodHire background check service at a previous company, but the company that we are now using it for has not used any other background check service before. It has been very easy to run a background check with the GoodHire system. So far, we've only ran one check that we needed and I figured the system out quickly. It satisfied what it was required to do and what we needed it for. The information came back within 24 hours, so that was a very quick turnaround. I'm very satisfied with my experience.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I took over the GoodHire background check service two months ago and I started implementing it. The system has been great in meeting the expectations set by the company. Everything was organized and the setup was quick. It was user-friendly, gave quick responses, and was very easy to use. Overall, our experience with GoodHire has been great.

Original review: April 5, 2019

GoodHire has worked really well during the times we have used it. Right now, we don't have urgent hiring needs so we pulled back in all facets and sources that we were utilizing for recruitment and hiring purposes but should our hiring speed up in the future, their services are something that we would look for.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We used whichever background check provider TriNet used and GoodHire is the company that we contracted for them. Utilizing GoodHire to run a background check was straightforward, simple, and took five minutes. The menu is really good because I can be as thorough as I want in running a background check. The system operates well and even exceeds the expectations set by the company. It has been very good dealing with the customer service representatives and the team members of GoodHire. Their professionalism and knowledge of the product were very good. It's a good product. Our experience with GoodHire has been very good and very smooth.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I Google-searched GoodHire and I liked their pricing. I also went to the website and talked to a couple of people. It is easy to run a background check with them and their system is user-friendly. However, I sent a background check for one of my employees and she said that she never got the email for GoodHire. When I called their customer rep to see if they could check the email or send another email, he said that he saw that it went through or that they sent it to the correct email. He gave me a little attitude but I was able to get him to resend the email. All in all, my experience with GoodHire has been good.

Original review: April 2, 2019

When I looked on the internet, GoodHire was recommended on another website as one of the top background check services to use. And for me, my experience with them has been fantastic. Chris is the guy that I go through. If I have any questions about the process, or if I'm not seeing something, I get a quick answer when I call. It's been amazing. In addition to that, I like the quickness of the updates. For the most part, the results come back to me immediately if they're clean. There are also constant updates on the estimated time of arrival for the background checks if there's a delay. That's important when you're trying to hire fast. GoodHire has been helpful for my company overall and I appreciate it.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We’ve been using GoodHire with our company. That’s all we use now for background check and it's pretty easy. The only thing I had difficulty with was adding the money to the account because for some reason, it wouldn’t let us. It took us about 30 minutes to figure it out. But besides that, everything went fine.

GoodHire expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoodHire is a US based employment screening company with services for businesses and individuals in industries across the board. Their customized services help employers make educated hiring decisions while protecting the privacy and secure information of candidates. Candidates are always treated respectfully, and their background checks are administered efficiently.

• Customizable: Employers have the option to choose from one of several predefined screening packages, or they can create their own customized background check. You can adjust your screening process as your business and its needs change.

• TrueMe for job candidates: Job candidates can stay a step ahead of potential employers by completing their own TrueMe background checks with GoodHire. Once your background check is complete, you will be sent a secure URL that can be posted directly on your resume, applications, social media profiles and/or job boards. GoodHire ensures that only verified employers can request access to your link, and you have the final say in granting access, keeping your information secure.

• Challenge errors: TrueMe reports allow individuals to add comments for previous behavior. They also have built-in tools that allow individuals to fix mistakes before they head to an interview and have an employer run a background check.

• Up-front pricing: Pricing  for pay-per-check is upfront and available on their website, making it easy for employers to decide which packages and options to choose based on their cost. View sample results for every package so you know what to expect. For high volume and customized needs, simply fill out a form online to receive a customized quote.

• HR tech integration: GoodHire has teamed up with leading HR tech companies to deliver integrated employment screening on your timeline. If your HR firm isn’t currently integrated with GoodHire, simply let them know.

• Best for: GoodHire is best for businesses and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs