4.6/5 (665 ratings)

About GoodHire

GoodHire provides FCRA-compliant background checks and screening solutions for businesses and organizations of all sizes. With easy-to-use workflows, built-in compliance tools, and a mobile-friendly candidate experience, GoodHire speeds up and simplifies the screening process to help you hire candidates more quickly.

Pros

• Instant identity verification
  • Criminal record checks
  • Customized paid plan options

Cons

• No free version

Bottom Line

GoodHire is a background check service for businesses that can be used to screen potential employees. The company also provides services for job hunters, including self-background checks and resources.

Top GoodHire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Using GoodHire was easy and pretty straightforward... It fits our needs, and they're efficient. It's affordable for us for the amount that we use it. Their reps were also pleasa...

Verified

Utilizing GoodHire to run a background check is super easy. The people who work for the company are fantastic too. Every time I had a question there, they had been quick to respon...

What is GoodHire?

GoodHire is a comprehensive and straightforward background check service. It also provides features that help employers adhere to screening regulations and compliance standards. GoodHire uses an advanced technology platform that simplifies and speeds up workflows so it can deliver fast and accurate screenings. You can see a demo of GoodHire's services and plans on its website.

What does GoodHire look for?

For each candidate it screens, GoodHire combs through a criminal history database and flags any misdemeanor criminal convictions, pending criminal cases or instances of incarceration. It also verifies any info the candidate provides, including employment, education and professional license history. Some states regulate what can be reported in a background check, but most employers can also request driving records.

GoodHire also offers FBI-level screenings for federal government agencies. Its Level 2 check can uncover sealed records and searches for arrests, convictions and incarceration related to violent behavior and crimes against children. This screening is usually for candidates applying for adoption or for a job working with children or the elderly.

GoodHire pricing

GoodHire is transparent about its pricing; however, if your business does frequent background checks, you might be able to negotiate a price with one of its team members. GoodHire offers three distinct screening packages for companies that perform fewer than 25 background checks yearly (larger companies can inquire about special pricing):

Basic Plan

•  $29.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes around one day
  • Includes a Social Security number trace and national criminal and sex offender database searches

Standard Plan

• $54.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes one to two days
  • Includes all Basic Plan services plus domestic watchlist and county criminal court searches (checks the past seven years of court records for up to three counties)

Premium Plan

• $79.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes two to four business days
  • Includes all services in the Standard Plan as well as education and employment verification

GoodHire's Standard and Premium plans are subject to additional third-party fees, but the company won't charge you for these without your permission. All new users are subject to a one-time setup fee of $49.99 for account verification. GoodHire’s plans are customizable, with add-ons like identity checks, advanced criminal and civil record searches, motor vehicle record checks, credit reports and drug screenings.

GoodHire FAQ

How far back does GoodHire check?
GoodHire usually pulls records from seven years ago or longer, depending on state regulations.
How does GoodHire verify employment?
GoodHire finds verified phone numbers then calls listed employers up to five times over five business days to confirm applicants’ tenures and job titles.
Can I do a personal background check with GoodHire?
Yes, you can perform a background check on yourself with GoodHire.
Is GoodHire ideal for small businesses?
Yes, GoodHire is a good option for small businesses due to its customizable service plans, easy-to-use website, online portal and transparent pricing.

Is GoodHire legit?

Yes, GoodHire is a legit screening service that offers pre-employment and other types of background checks for small to midsize businesses. If you’re looking for an employee screening service, GoodHire might be the right fit for your company.

GoodHire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoodHire?

Original review: March 4, 2022

We have used GoodHire for a while now. It’s expensive and we have other companies that have reached out that provide a similar service that would cost less. For instance, the package that we currently have is for the comprehensive background check and we’re paying 64 for that. We could get it at 36 to 40 if we switched companies. But I appreciate the ease of being able to talk with someone at GoodHire when we're having an issue. I also like the dashboard that they provide and my clients like the ongoing monitoring piece. That’s really good in the business that we're in.

I recommend GoodHire all the time, mainly for the customer service and the ongoing monitoring part. I have also reached out to my contact a few times to ask about fingerprinting and that would be really great if that was something that could be added, especially for the work that we do, or any additional feature. At one point, I was contacted by a company that told me that they had partnered with GoodHire and they were going to do social media screening, which I know can't be part of a background check. But I don't know if things have changed since then. Other than that, the ongoing monitoring used to encompass more than just a search of the National Criminal Database. So if there’s any way to do something else or include something else with ongoing monitoring, that would be great as well.

Get buying tips about Employment Screening Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I have to have the correct information and having middle names and correct Socials. I just have to enter the information and wait for the results to come back. Usually, within the next day to seven days. There was one that took a good three weeks, and it was because one of the counties was still paper. They didn't have their files up on a server. So we had to wait for those results. Other than that, our experience with GoodHire is fine. We do a basic background check for our employees. It's simple to use, and we get our results back quickly and they are emailed to us. They notify us by email, and we have to sign in to get the results.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

My general manager selected GoodHire for our background checks when we initially started hiring employees. Then I took over the human resources functions and just kept using it. It's very easy. Sometimes depending on the employee, it takes a little bit of time to get stuff back. If I'm in a time-sensitive hiring, it can be a little bit challenging to guess whether or not it would be a good choice. But usually, they come back quickly and they're very thorough. I've never had any errors. Very easy to get a background check started.

It's also user-friendly. I like having the ability to go in. I had one candidate that something popped up on his background check. I had the ability to go in and review it. It just wasn't a pass or fail. At my discretion, I chose to go ahead and hire him because it was some time ago. It was a result of other things, so I didn't feel like it was detrimental to our company. GoodHire is a good option to use. It's also not expensive.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

GoodHire is very easy to use. I like the process and the reports. I like that you can send a request to the future employee to have them fill out and verify their information, and to make sure that that is correct, so that the process goes quickly. That's so important because we're normally in a crunch when we're hiring somebody. So, that process in itself helps so much. We get that verification from them. I also like that when the process gets started, you can see how quickly it is and what is happening with the process like which reports have come back and whether they're coming back okay or not, and which reports those are. We're a small company and GoodHire works for us.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

What we liked about GoodHire is that the candidates input their info. With the previous company we were using, we were having them fill out a form, and we were inputting the info, so it took some of that administrative burden off of us and put it on to the candidates. Another thing is that the report gets sent to the candidates as well. In those rare instances where you don't hire someone due to their background check, they always want to know, “What showed up on the report?” With GoodHire, those questions don't come up, because they're getting the report.

Basically, when we input just the basic contact info for the candidate, we get the email that says, “It's been sent to the candidate.” We also get an email when the candidate inputs their info, and then we get an email once the report’s ready to review. If the report’s going to be delayed, we get an email from GoodHire saying this county, and they're expecting the report to be done by this date. If we want to go in and review the results ahead of time, we can too. We see which sections of the report aren't completed yet. Their customer service has been professional and easy to deal with as well.

GoodHire response
    Michael,
    We appreciate your review, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about GoodHire. Like yourself, many customers find that having candidates complete their information not only improves efficiency, but also helps reduce manual errors. Thank you for being a GoodHire customer!

- The GoodHire team

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I had to follow up if I had a question about a background check for someone who was just out of college. But we do our checks online and it's very smooth.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

They didn’t receive my new documents after an error was identified on my driver's license. We cancelled out the driver's license and I sent back statements, with confirmation address and passport photo ID. I submitted all new documents matching address on passport and bank statement. But the system still generates my second name as my first. I spent days and hours on this with a recruiting consultant and feel it’s been a waste of time. The system is still generating old documents. Going around and around in circles. Not a good experience. DBS UK are far more effective with a seamless process.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Easy to use- user friendly. Normally pretty quick turnaround time for background checks. There are those outlier checks that have delays but GoodHire support has informed me that it would depend on the county of the individual and if there are delays within the respective county on processing information. GoodHire support/customer service has been helpful when I have been stuck or needed additional information on a certain check.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

We've used GoodHire for several years now. I was using Backgroundchecks.com and having a lot of issues and just looking for a better option. GoodHire has been great. There's always someone there if I have questions or need something and they're much faster. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I escalated this topic with noneffective response from the GoodHire, still waiting for an answer about why is taking so long, he has attended several times the appointment and we never receive the results. If someone could please contact me to solve this situation it will be very helpful.

GoodHire Company Information