4.6/5 (658 ratings)

About GoodHire

GoodHire provides FCRA-compliant background checks and screening solutions for businesses and organizations of all sizes. With easy-to-use workflows, built-in compliance tools, and a mobile-friendly candidate experience, GoodHire speeds up and simplifies the screening process to help you hire candidates more quickly.

Pros

• Instant identity verification
  • Criminal record checks
  • Customized paid plan options

Cons

• No free version

Bottom Line

GoodHire is a background check service for businesses that can be used to screen potential employees. The company also provides services for job hunters, including self-background checks and resources.

Top GoodHire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Using GoodHire was easy and pretty straightforward... It fits our needs, and they're efficient. It's affordable for us for the amount that we use it. Their reps were also pleasa...

Verified

Utilizing GoodHire to run a background check is super easy. The people who work for the company are fantastic too. Every time I had a question there, they had been quick to respon...

What is GoodHire?

GoodHire is a comprehensive and straightforward background check service. It also provides features that help employers adhere to screening regulations and compliance standards. GoodHire uses an advanced technology platform that simplifies and speeds up workflows so it can deliver fast and accurate screenings. You can see a demo of GoodHire's services and plans on its website.

What does GoodHire look for?

For each candidate it screens, GoodHire combs through a criminal history database and flags any misdemeanor criminal convictions, pending criminal cases or instances of incarceration. It also verifies any info the candidate provides, including employment, education and professional license history. Some states regulate what can be reported in a background check, but most employers can also request driving records.

GoodHire also offers FBI-level screenings for federal government agencies. Its Level 2 check can uncover sealed records and searches for arrests, convictions and incarceration related to violent behavior and crimes against children. This screening is usually for candidates applying for adoption or for a job working with children or the elderly.

GoodHire pricing

GoodHire is transparent about its pricing; however, if your business does frequent background checks, you might be able to negotiate a price with one of its team members. GoodHire offers three distinct screening packages for companies that perform fewer than 25 background checks yearly (larger companies can inquire about special pricing):

Basic Plan

•  $29.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes around one day
  • Includes a Social Security number trace and national criminal and sex offender database searches

Standard Plan

• $54.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes one to two days
  • Includes all Basic Plan services plus domestic watchlist and county criminal court searches (checks the past seven years of court records for up to three counties)

Premium Plan

• $79.99 per month (plus a $49.99 setup fee)
  • Usually takes two to four business days
  • Includes all services in the Standard Plan as well as education and employment verification

GoodHire's Standard and Premium plans are subject to additional third-party fees, but the company won't charge you for these without your permission. All new users are subject to a one-time setup fee of $49.99 for account verification. GoodHire’s plans are customizable, with add-ons like identity checks, advanced criminal and civil record searches, motor vehicle record checks, credit reports and drug screenings.

GoodHire FAQ

How far back does GoodHire check?
GoodHire usually pulls records from seven years ago or longer, depending on state regulations.
How does GoodHire verify employment?
GoodHire finds verified phone numbers then calls listed employers up to five times over five business days to confirm applicants’ tenures and job titles.
Can I do a personal background check with GoodHire?
Yes, you can perform a background check on yourself with GoodHire.
Is GoodHire ideal for small businesses?
Yes, GoodHire is a good option for small businesses due to its customizable service plans, easy-to-use website, online portal and transparent pricing.

Is GoodHire legit?

Yes, GoodHire is a legit screening service that offers pre-employment and other types of background checks for small to midsize businesses. If you’re looking for an employee screening service, GoodHire might be the right fit for your company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoodHire?

Original review: March 4, 2022

We have used GoodHire for a while now. It’s expensive and we have other companies that have reached out that provide a similar service that would cost less. For instance, the package that we currently have is for the comprehensive background check and we’re paying 64 for that. We could get it at 36 to 40 if we switched companies. But I appreciate the ease of being able to talk with someone at GoodHire when we're having an issue. I also like the dashboard that they provide and my clients like the ongoing monitoring piece. That’s really good in the business that we're in.

I recommend GoodHire all the time, mainly for the customer service and the ongoing monitoring part. I have also reached out to my contact a few times to ask about fingerprinting and that would be really great if that was something that could be added, especially for the work that we do, or any additional feature. At one point, I was contacted by a company that told me that they had partnered with GoodHire and they were going to do social media screening, which I know can't be part of a background check. But I don't know if things have changed since then. Other than that, the ongoing monitoring used to encompass more than just a search of the National Criminal Database. So if there’s any way to do something else or include something else with ongoing monitoring, that would be great as well.

Get buying tips about Employment Screening Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

My general manager selected GoodHire for our background checks when we initially started hiring employees. Then I took over the human resources functions and just kept using it. It's very easy. Sometimes depending on the employee, it takes a little bit of time to get stuff back. If I'm in a time-sensitive hiring, it can be a little bit challenging to guess whether or not it would be a good choice. But usually, they come back quickly and they're very thorough. I've never had any errors. Very easy to get a background check started.

It's also user-friendly. I like having the ability to go in. I had one candidate that something popped up on his background check. I had the ability to go in and review it. It just wasn't a pass or fail. At my discretion, I chose to go ahead and hire him because it was some time ago. It was a result of other things, so I didn't feel like it was detrimental to our company. GoodHire is a good option to use. It's also not expensive.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

What we liked about GoodHire is that the candidates input their info. With the previous company we were using, we were having them fill out a form, and we were inputting the info, so it took some of that administrative burden off of us and put it on to the candidates. Another thing is that the report gets sent to the candidates as well. In those rare instances where you don't hire someone due to their background check, they always want to know, “What showed up on the report?” With GoodHire, those questions don't come up, because they're getting the report.

Basically, when we input just the basic contact info for the candidate, we get the email that says, “It's been sent to the candidate.” We also get an email when the candidate inputs their info, and then we get an email once the report’s ready to review. If the report’s going to be delayed, we get an email from GoodHire saying this county, and they're expecting the report to be done by this date. If we want to go in and review the results ahead of time, we can too. We see which sections of the report aren't completed yet. Their customer service has been professional and easy to deal with as well.

Michael,
    We appreciate your review, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about GoodHire. Like yourself, many customers find that having candidates complete their information not only improves efficiency, but also helps reduce manual errors. Thank you for being a GoodHire customer!

- The GoodHire team

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

GoodHire is easy to navigate. On the employer side when you’re doing employment verification, it’s very easy to respond to those verifications and very straight and to the point on the reports. So I like those things. The cost is decent and my CHRO has felt it is within the range of what other places charge. But there was one time when I put somebody's name in wrong and the candidate that we were doing the check on, couldn't figure out how to fix that when she went into provide the information. And so for some reason, GoodHire never flagged that. So they said her Social Security matched her name and everything, but it didn't. Also, there were other things where they were like, “Oh, we couldn’t verify employment of this person because the name was wrong.”

I was like, “So wait. GoodHire ran the Social Security numbers that came attached to this certain name. And that seems fine to them. But when they called the employer, they couldn't put two and two together and be like, “Oh, yeah. Silly employer. She must have put it in wrong. But we can see that this number is attached to this name. And it seems like it's probably a likely mistake and that she just put the name there wrong.”

If they're going to be lax on the Social Security Number, I should be making the same assumptions for employment verification. I wish they just flagged it off. Other than that, I'd recommend GoodHire. It's a very easy platform to use and it's really nice because you don't want to have an employer reaching out to customer service every couple of days just because they can't figure out how to navigate it. It's not like you have to create passwords and logins. It's just a quick reply to an email.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we love hearing from customers!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

So far, so good. As far as quick turnaround, I never had a problem. I do like the fact that we're able to do online chat as well as calling in. Both are extremely quick and thorough. I have been using GoodHire for a little over a year now and haven't run across any issues as of yet. I don't have a lot of experience other than GoodHire and ADP, but one of the things that I do like about GoodHire is that it also does tie in a lot of HR Q&As, forms and utilities for us to be able to access and use. If we ever had something called a pre adverse action or an adverse action notification, I was able to go and pull forms that are not only federal but also state and local that we need to use to be able to stay compliant. GoodHire is more of a full package than just that one specific service.

Corbi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience using GoodHire, we appreciate the positive feedback and truly value you as a customer!

Original review: May 27, 2022

Absolutely horrible. My husband has been waiting for our county background check for over a month now, National check is back, surrounding counties and drug screen but not our county. He has missed out on the job because this company states they have to make an appointment to get the info from our courthouse which says usually takes 2 days yet here it is over a month and pushed back another month to be complete. We called our county courthouse and the information is not true. Good Hire claims they need an appointment. So every day they wait is money lost. Also have tried to reach customer service more than once and no responses but the once & that response was a promise to expedite and that never happened. If your company needs someone to do background checks steer away from this company.

Leanne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and I'm sorry your experience with GoodHire was not a positive one. I understand your frustration, and I want to assure you that every job candidate's background check is important to us. When records are sourced from county courts that require clerk assistance, which was the case for this report, GoodHire is at the mercy of court clerks and cannot obtain records without visiting the courthouse in person and making an appointment with the county clerk. This process can sometimes introduce substantial delays into the background check process.

While many county clerks will not assist background check companies by providing criminal record information over the phone, after receiving your complaint, our team called the clerk of courts in Kanawha County directly to obtain the necessary information that was required. As a result of the information provided by the court clerk, we were able to complete the background check.

- Max Wesman, COO, GoodHire

Original review: March 24, 2022

Anytime I've needed a different type of background check, they've been able to create a package for us. They're easy to read and they come back quickly. Working with them keeps us compliant with all of our different background needs.

Original review: March 18, 2022

My experience with GoodHire has been good. I get my questions answered. It’s easy to utilize it. Most of them come back quickly, within an hour or two. However, there are limits. You can't necessarily run a background check or an NDR for every state, you have to jump through some extra hoops for some of them and that changes from time to time. Also, it’s expensive to run NDRs and background reports.

Original review: March 3, 2022

I’ve been utilizing GoodHire for over a year and we like it because it has a more evasive check. We switched from another one that missed some stuff and GoodHire seemed to have caught it. They do a better search. It's also simple using it. You just answer their basic questions.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I have to have the correct information and having middle names and correct Socials. I just have to enter the information and wait for the results to come back. Usually, within the next day to seven days. There was one that took a good three weeks, and it was because one of the counties was still paper. They didn't have their files up on a server. So we had to wait for those results. Other than that, our experience with GoodHire is fine. We do a basic background check for our employees. It's simple to use, and we get our results back quickly and they are emailed to us. They notify us by email, and we have to sign in to get the results.

GoodHire Company Information