4.61/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GoodHire provides FCRA-compliant employment background checks and screening solutions for businesses and organizations of all sizes. Featuring easy-to-use workflows, built-in compliance tools, and a mobile-friendly candidate experience, GoodHire speeds and simplifies the background check process to help you screen and hire candidates faster.

606 GoodHire Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We are a staffing agency and so, we have a lot of background checks that we do every month. We were unhappy with our current background service so, we did some research and GoodHire is the one that came up. It's better than what we used to have. It's much, much faster, much more user-friendly, and all around much better. I like that when there is an alert that happens, we're able to clear that and make sure it's okay. We're also able to request comments about the alert from our candidates specifically. That makes it extremely easy, as in all in one place and consolidated.

The return time is just phenomenal on what we've had so far. We haven't really had any issues and I like that it tells us exactly how much each background check is going to cost and that we're able to create packages for each individual client that we need. Also, our controller set up our account and she said it was super simple and very quick. And I've had to use the live chat a few times. Everyone has been very quick at response time. When they have to step away to check something, they're very good about letting me know they're gonna be away for two to three minutes and they're never gone for very long. Someone is always very quick to jump on and I don't have to wait for very long to connect with somebody. It has been a really easy experience so far and it seems very affordable. A lot of the services we have ordered has been cheaper than our past background company. We're very satisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Employment Screening Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The customer service at GoodHire is a lot better than the other background check service providers we've had before. I appreciate their quick response time and the friendliness of everybody that has helped me. That was a huge plus. I have to go via phone tree with a lot of the other companies, or they’re not able to get me an answer right away versus GoodHire where they seem to be able to make things work quickly.

We had been working in the beginning with somebody named Dan, and he was knowledgeable. He didn't insult our intelligence because we have done this before with background check companies. I pretty much came to the table already knowing what my questions and concerns were gonna be as far as processing. He took away the base part that he maybe would normally do with another company. We cut to the chase, so that was nice. He wasn’t pushy at all on us. He wanted to make sure that we felt comfortable and had time to think about it. And then we moved on to a dedicated customer service rep named Tracy, who’s been phenomenal. Anything that we needed, she made it happened. She is responsive to emails and has jumped on calls with us to troubleshoot early on.

The only sticky situation we got into was the transitioning in between Dan and Tracy where there probably could have been an improvement in communication. There were some things lacking from our reports that we did, and some things that were suggested after the fact when we were to go start processing reports. They’ve spun something new on us and it delayed our reporting, and packages weren’t put together correctly. But I could not say it is one person’s fault. That just seemed like a lot of things were lost in translation between the passing.

But other than that, utilizing GoodHire is simple and straightforward. They were able to put together a package for us so I do not have to guess what I need to get done. It’s all put together for me already. The processing time is quick. I did not feel like I got a bad experience my first couple of times using it. Sometimes our clients are really demanding and want to know updates as we get them or updates in real time about different subsections on reports. It is nice that we are able to see that with GoodHire. With the return time on the reports, it met our expectations and what we were expecting. We have only got to use GoodHire twice now, and I can say that it’s been a really great experience so far. I now have very high expectations of them because of the quality of service they have already given to us, and I feel like that’s the standard they have set. So I hope that we can continue to see that level of service here in 2019.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I went on Google and started searching for background check companies. We’re a tech company, and the way that GoodHire provides service falls in line with the way that we provide on-demand services. Things come back quickly and the site was intuitive, which were the key things. The old company that I worked for would take a while, and when we would order background checks, we had to collect personal information directly from the transferee in order to put it into the system and then submit it. I love that with GoodHire, the person requesting it doesn’t need their personal information. All they need is their name and email address, and the employee enters everything on their own. It protects personal information, so there are no worries about your Social Security number being in a spreadsheet or being provided in an unsecure method.

I get reports the same day sometimes as long as our employee fills out the information quickly, but from the time they put it in, it comes back quickly. I also like that it’s all secured in one location. So, I can go in and view reports as needed. The information is also hidden because we don’t always need to see everything. The reps have all been really helpful. I’ve had to reach out a couple of times and I usually use the live chat, and they’ve been able to assist me and then call me if there is additional information needed that they can't provide through chat. I’m part of a start-up group and when people ask, I say that I like GoodHire.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The company that we were with was like an older corporate, not very well-organized company that did a lot of stuff offshore, and there were a lot of response rate issues. That company had a bit more of a stodgy, outdated feeling, and I was concerned about having that experience again, so we looked for another option. I did a search for background check companies and then I asked some people and got a bunch of recommendations. We were trying out two companies but I wanted to go with GoodHire because I had read some great things. Also, I really liked the look of GoodHire. When I saw their website, it jumped out to me as being clean and fresh and everything I saw there made me think that they were the answer to all of the issues that we had with the old company.

The GoodHire rep who gave us the presentation was awesome but then he handed us over to a person who was gonna be our account manager. They were great when we worked with them. They were really nice, friendly, and accommodating. But we were trying to do a smooth transition from our previous company where we had the same sort of packages already set up without having to customize so much. And when we tried to do that with GoodHire, we had a hard time coming up with things that were gonna tick all the boxes we needed.

Then, when we ran our first one, something happened that either had to do with the amount of time it was taking or with us trying to make sense of what the package or the test was called. And when we reached out to the account manager, it took a bit of time and we were disappointed. We called and left a message and then from the email, we might have gotten an out-of-office message. Then we were like, “What do we do now?" because that was our point of contact and the first time we were reaching out to them. It felt like a roadblock but then ultimately, we were able to reach out to someone else and someone called us back or emailed us. But we felt then that GoodHire was this big corporate entity and we were like, "Who are we gonna even get? Is there gonna be anyone that’s gonna care about us?”

So we did only one or two times with GoodHire and then we wound up using Crimcheck, the other company that Debbie, my co-worker, had come across beforehand and that she has been working with. We were doing GoodHire at the same time as Crimcheck was being tried out. Crimcheck's website wasn’t as modern as GoodHire's but Crimcheck's packages were really easy for us to translate what we currently had, to what they were offering. Also, their company is a lot smaller so we were able to reach people really quickly. Debbie has started talking to one of their reps and that person is who we would be mainly communicating with. The contact was more personal and intimate and Debbie was getting responses within an hour, so she really wanted that same level of service.

When we started with GoodHire, we were really dated since we had been working with the old company for a while, and that had a big impact on things. Had we not been really slowed down and had we been in a place where we weren’t looking for the worst, we would have been a bit more patient with GoodHire. We also thought that we were months overdue and that we should have done it four or five months ago and switched companies, so we were in panic mode. If we weren’t and if it was a toss-up, we may have gone fully with GoodHire over Crimcheck or we may have used them both equally. Still, I thought GoodHire was really great and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I used a different background service company before and I had GoodHire implemented about a month and a half after I started in Heartland Payroll. It's a small payroll company that I worked with and they indicated that they were partnered with and integrated their system with GoodHire. After using GoodHire, I would not go back to that other company. I really like the way that their system works and I had the easiest background check request that I’ve done with them.

At first, I worked with their representative to set up the check that I wanted and later, I developed the secondary one. All I do is go up into the system, put in the person’s name and email address, and that’s about it. However, there was one particular individual that had multiple county checks that needed to be done and at the time, I ran into some problems with the state of California. That background check took almost four weeks and though I had the time to spend on that, that was not a reasonable expectation. The explanation I got was that in California, you had to go to physically pull the records and it sounded a little far-fetched to me. But that was the only negative experience I got. I called GoodHire twice about it and I got the same answer but I don’t know if the answer really satisfied me. However, I know they did something because they followed-up with me so for that piece, it was fine.

Also, when doing a check through GoodHire, I have to wait for the employee to complete the whole onboarding process before I can use the integrated version of the background check with GoodHire. It’s easier for me to just do my onboarding in Heartland then go to the GoodHire site and press the button there to speed up the process. Otherwise, if somebody doesn’t fill out the paperwork until the day before they start, I can’t do the background check and I have to wait that long. But it’s not really on GoodHire’s part. It’s on Heartland Payroll. Other than that, the drug tests come back almost spontaneously and my experience with GoodHire was very good and very easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoodHire?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I found GoodHire when I was working at another company. When utilizing GoodHire to run a background check, the process is pretty intuitive. Some of the counties take a long time to get back, but I think that's a jurisdiction level and maybe not a GoodHire problem.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I previously used IntelliCorp as a background check service provider and GoodHire is better. It is easier to use and has better and clearer pricing too. I like them more. The best part is it seems a little bit more flexible as far as just dealing with an actual customer service person to set it up so it’ll work the way we need it for.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Using GoodHire to run a background check seems to be easy. I like that it allows the candidate to kinda do it like they're in charge of their own. I just basically send their email then they have to do it. I put the ball on their court. The system is great. The lady that helped me get set up was super nice, helpful and friendly.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I was searching for a background company online. I was looking for somebody who could give information and consent for our new contractors. The previous company that I used didn’t do that but the guy from there that I talked to was really nice and told me that GoodHire does what I wanted and that I might want to call them. It was easy setting up an account with GoodHire. I spoke with somebody who was very good at helping me do that. GoodHire is easy to use. The background check comes to me really quickly - usually less than 24 hours. That's great.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We signed up with GoodHire a few years back. Our experience with them has been pretty decent. I used them just last week to do background checks when we had two new hires. It was easy to use, and it was pretty simple to be able to get the candidates to the next step. It’s nice that it’s all on the computer and we didn’t have to fax anything.

GoodHire expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GoodHire is a US based employment screening company with services for businesses and individuals in industries across the board. Their customized services help employers make educated hiring decisions while protecting the privacy and secure information of candidates. Candidates are always treated respectfully, and their background checks are administered efficiently.

• Customizable: Employers have the option to choose from one of several predefined screening packages, or they can create their own customized background check. You can adjust your screening process as your business and its needs change.

• TrueMe for job candidates: Job candidates can stay a step ahead of potential employers by completing their own TrueMe background checks with GoodHire. Once your background check is complete, you will be sent a secure URL that can be posted directly on your resume, applications, social media profiles and/or job boards. GoodHire ensures that only verified employers can request access to your link, and you have the final say in granting access, keeping your information secure.

• Challenge errors: TrueMe reports allow individuals to add comments for previous behavior. They also have built-in tools that allow individuals to fix mistakes before they head to an interview and have an employer run a background check.

• Up-front pricing: Pricing  for pay-per-check is upfront and available on their website, making it easy for employers to decide which packages and options to choose based on their cost. View sample results for every package so you know what to expect. For high volume and customized needs, simply fill out a form online to receive a customized quote.

• HR tech integration: GoodHire has teamed up with leading HR tech companies to deliver integrated employment screening on your timeline. If your HR firm isn’t currently integrated with GoodHire, simply let them know.

• Best for: GoodHire is best for businesses and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs