2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.4/5 (329 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: March 26, 2020

I'm trying to start a GoFundMe page for my hairdresser who is out of work and needs support for her workers and overhead. I am having such a hard time setting it up, and there is no one to call or email for help. Not good.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I’ve had to open a “GoFundMe” page and the website/App doesn’t work! In order for you to be able to withdraw you have to go through the APP, but the APP doesn’t open and just disappears. I’ve reached out to Customer Service and they have an auto reply email saying “response will take 72” hours, but when you look on GFM’s social media (Instagram/Facebook) pages, you will see MANY people complaining about not hearing from them at all and no resolution in not obtaining their funds!

Original review: March 10, 2020

Go Fund Me told me they sent out my money. It never came in. They said my bank must have lost it, my bank said it never came in. So I lost 1170$ for my father who was just amputated. Super shady. I do not recommend them!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I started a campaign to help my daughter be able to go on a trip with her high school varsity choir. She immediately got $115 of the $500 needed. (Health issues have drained any funds we’d normally have to send her on a trip like this.) Go Fund Me said they made the first deposit of $81 on one day and the other $26 on day two. Second deposit came in but the $81 vanished. We reached out to GFM and was told that our bank lost it. Bank said they never received it. I’ve now send the official bank statement to GFM THREE times and have been pretty much ignored. We suspended the campaign, daughter can’t go on trip. GFM is shady. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

GoFundMe is engaging in clear-cut, night-and-day discrimination. There is NO gray area here. They basically told me that my campaign is against their terms of service but everyone else can do it anyway. It is regarding gambling addiction. I DON'T CARE how many times they cite their policy if they're allowing others to have an EXACT DUPLICATE of my campaign. I even sent them links to the other campaigns and the answer was very vague, saying they're not violating GoFundMe's terms of service. Upon asking them what is different about their campaigns, I was ignored. I WILL PERSONALLY fight this to the end but, in the mean time, I want to get the message out to others.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I initiated a fundraising campaign to benefit a friend of mine who is a refugee and five of his family members. I initiated the campaign on January 26. The campaign ultimately raised US$588. On January 27 I got a letter from the GoFundMe "Team" saying, "We noticed the intended recipient of your campaign’s donations may be located in or from a country that is not supported by our payment processors. Until we receive your reply, all withdrawals will be paused." They demanded:

--The full legal name of whomever meets the withdrawal requirements and will be withdrawing your campaign’s donations.
--The full legal name of the intended recipient/s. This is the person the campaign is raising funds for, or their legal guardian.

--Your plan to deliver the donations directly to the intended recipient, including the name of the money transfer service that will be used to send and receive the funds.

"Once these steps have been completed, please reply directly to this email, and a member of our Community Management team will review your account within one business day." I provided all this information. Instead of going forward and releasing the funds, they demanded a photo of my intended recipient's government-issued ID. Since he does not have an up-to-date passport, I asked the "team" if I could send a photo of his wife's passport instead. The "team" said yes, and I sent the wife's passport.

A few days later the "team" wrote back saying that that's not good enough, they need my friend's own ID. Since he has a French visa, I asked if that would work, and sent it. I expected that my fulfillment of the original request would resolve the matter, and that I would be able to collect the $588 that I had raised. But no, I could not collect the money. And a few days later the "team" wrote back saying they need the government-issued ID of all six members of the group.

GoFundMe seems to be moving the goal posts. I am very uncomfortable with asking my vulnerable refugee friends, a group that includes two children, for all their passports or visas. It seems way beyond what should have been required. I would never have initiated the campaign if I knew that I would have to ask children for their passports.

So on February 14, rather than do that, I decided to end the campaign and refund my donors. GoFundMe has a page that apparently allows that option to campaign organizers like me. It has a big button that you press to refund the donors. I pressed it. What I got, instead of a confirmation of refunds, was a notice that I had to communicate with GoFundMe info, and an email address. The message said to allow 24 hours for a response.

I sent GoFundMe that request immediately. I have sent them such a request to refund my donors every day for the past four days, but I have received no response. GoFundMe provides no phone number, no way from talking to a human, apart from emails, and they are no longer responding to my emails. I still have not been able to collect the $588 I raised, nor to refund my donors. Where is the money now? In the coffers of GoFundMe, apparently.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

24/7 call centre does not exist. One of their workers excuse to me was they have not enough capacity of workers to handle the volume of emails. I began my campaign January 30 - A Brave Woman In Crisis. I was discharged 4 days ago from hospital and still they won’t release my funds. They only add to more unbeatable emotional crisis. Leaving people like me on February 10th without a penny. I never heard from anyone. regarding any issue. I URGENTLY

emailed their “help centre”. CRITICAL SOMEONE respond to me. 5 days later no one had responded. They only have added to my Crisis. Made it worse. Still “reviewing” me.

In total desperation I had to go back into old emails from when I set up my account and find an old thread to a real human being. Thank god I used that old thread and made it through to get help. They play with people’s lives and only deepen the desperation and acute anxiety of being in a critical crisis. Today I'm still waiting. Zero guarantee when or if I will receive a penny. They keep your money. Charge their fees DO NOT care if you could be dying or suicidal from their deplorable lack of service. No words can express my despair and there are zero excuses for their treatment of me.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I do not recommend using GoFundMe. I created a campaign to help with foreclosure. Many of my friends started to donate but donations would not show up on my page. The money was withdrawn from their bank accounts however. Their help center says payments take 24 hours to process but other campaigns started the day after mine and their donations started popping up instantly. I made a donation to test this on another campaign and my donation showed up immediately. I have filled out everything on gofundme and verified my account through email.

Gofundme still has not gotten back to me through email explaining the situation after 3 days. So many people complain about their customer service but they do not care to fix the issue. Absurd service from these people. Do not use gofundme. Use another fundraiser site. Using gofundme will only add more stress to your situation. It's been a horrible experience using their site. Wish I could rate zero stars. I'm almost positive that even if they fix the issue more issues will continue to present themself. So many people have problems with them. It's insane.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Ok so my fiancé made a campaign for our Cat Oliver who needs a life saving surgery that we just cant afford. When she tried to log in right after maki git it wouldn't let her despite her efforts. She then made a new one which seemed to work. We got a few donations up to $135, she was able to deactivate the original campaign or so she thought. It deactivated the new one with the $135 but now will not refund the donations or allow the people that donated to request a refund. They are crooks. Do not use them. And also the original campaign is still saying active, shows a 15$ donation but then also says there are no donations yet. It's a crock of **.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Campaign was set up to rescue a dog in Cuba. Donations were made. Now won't pay out money as they say campaign was shut down. Won't refund donors either even though they say they have a guarantee. Do not use this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I used a gift card to donate GoFundMe, the person never got the donation. My card balance is zero and I try it twice. I don't trust GoFundMe. I try to straight it out with them, unsuccessful! So until the person get the donation I'll not encourage no one to donate with gift card. I lost the money and the person never got donation.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I cannot cancel my fundraiser, refund donors or communicate with anybody about the issue. There is no customer service, no email, no phone number, no way whatsoever to communicate with anyone from the company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I am the organizer, creator of the fund. I tried to change the beneficiary because of a change in circumstances and the system would not allow me to do so. Support only responds once a day by email. We have exchanged 18 emails and the problem is still not resolved. They have no chat or no phone contact. Until then the needed funds are on hold.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Updated on 01/30/2020: I previously reviewed GoFundMe for failing to manage their web site so account users can access their account when errors occur. After numerous attempts GoFundMe failed to help me access my account: link to reset my password failed to reach my email after numerous attempts on my part. And though I reached out for help from their 'help center' it has made no attempt to contact me ...NOW Upon checking my receipt I saw that GoFund Me charge an unauthorized 'Tip' to the amount I donated. I had NOT INDICATED A TIP, but yet an additonal amount (TIP) was added to final charge. Though the amount taken without authorization was minimal it is fraud. And because GoFundMe has made no effort to contact me I can assume they will not try to refund me the amount.

Original Review: I have made multiple donations using GOFUNDME BUT when I needed to reset my password, the 'reset password link' was a complete failure. I tried multiple times to reset using the instructions. NO SUCCESS. Further there is no other option given, and no option to speak to any representative. I requested assistance 'on line' NUMEROUS TIMES for accessing my account. To date I have not had a response!! I have NO access to my GOFUND ME account. There is NO accountablility to GOFUNDME and I will NOT recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have had four fraudulent charges to my credit and debit cards in the last six months that were processed by WePay for GoFundMe, followed by much larger charges to multiple entities. There are no phone numbers for WePay or GoFundMe to handle inquiries related to my credit cards, which is APPALLING given that so much money flows through both sites. With so little info available to address fraud, it's difficult to identify the perpetrators. GoFundMe and WePay should be doing everything in their power to make sure that transactions are safe and accurate, and that abuses are dealt with immediately. Instead, GoFundMe suggests that we PAY to have someone help us when we're ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Terrible company. We put a fundraiser through Gofundme for a local charity, they refused payment, were sent the documentation that was requested four times and they denied each time with no reason except to ask for the same documentation again. Then they suggested that we have the money sent to a private account, when we entered that info, they refunded all money and deleted our account. Pieces of crap. Do not use go fund me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I set up my account last night so that I can start a fundraiser. For some reason when I attempted to sign back in to make edits to the description, it gave me an error on my password so I clicked on request to reset password. I got back a response that I would get an email to reset, which I never received. I tried several times, even checking my spam mail, but nothing so I send an email to the Help Center describing my issue. I received an automated response that someone would get back with me. "We’ve received your message, and a member of our Customer Happiness team will reply soon to assist you." It's been almost 24 hours and no one has gotten back with me. I sent several other requests with same disappointing results. With this very poor support, I will definitely not recommend using GOFUNDME. They charge enough to be able to pay a staff that can support the volume of users.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I had four fraudulent charges appear on my American Express card statement from GoFundMe, none of which I made. It was for two donations and two tips. Oh yes, GoFundMe also let the person who made the fraudulent charges leave big tips for them also, how nice of the thief. I disputed the charges and GoFundMe claims they would "investigate it." They then email me a week later claiming they investigated it and decided the charges were from me and would not back charge them. I know damn well I did not make the charges, so I called American Express to have the charges removed and also reported the fraud to them. GoFundMe is the fraud here. They should be shut down. Do not leave a credit card on file with these people, in fact, don't even use this service, they are obvious scam artists.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I set up a GoFundMe Campaign for my high school golf team. I received an e-mail on 12/22/2019 stating: In order to receive funds from WePay, you must provide us with accurate information about yourself and link a bank account. If you do not provide this information by 01/06/2020, WePay will disable your account from receiving additional payments and will refund all payments to your payers.

We went on Christmas break on 12/20/2019 and I wanted to verify with our school bookkeeper about our account information so I could arrange for payments to be made. Today, 01/06/2020, was our first day back and work so I planned to set up my account today. When I went in this morning, I saw that there was no money and I received an e-mail saying they reimbursed the donors. It is still 01/06/2020. I do not understand how they could refund the money on the day they gave me for my deadline to provide our account information. I tried to contact GoFundMe and there is no phone number. Now, I am going to have to send everyone an e-mail and explain what happened. It is time to go with another crowd source fundraising group!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

The site is easy enough to use, but as a donor, I feel completely ripped off and taken advantage of. There were multiple usability issues completing the credit card form. During this process, the form re-checked the "tip" field and effectively made me tip them without clear permission. I feel like I just had $20 stolen from me, while making a $200 donation. I have lost all respect for this company and how they do business. Donors should be warned.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

This fundraiser is in serious need of more and better customer support. If the requirements to withdraw funds from a campaign are so great then the directions for creating one should be much more specific and save the creators miles of trouble on the end. Took weeks to get funds out when it was an emergency situation. Very Frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

There is a person exploiting my mother's recent death to raise money. I've never met the person and they live halfway across the country. I've reported it multiple times and GoFundMe does nothing. It's sick. No difference between GoFundMe and the criminals using it.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

On December 3rd I created a fundraiser for Christmas presents for village in Africa I've helped for years. When I created the fundraiser I received a message saying it was under review because of the country it was in and that I need to respond to the information requested within 24 hours. I did exactly as the email instructed. On December 16th I go to withdraw the funds and it says it's still "under review." I email asking the status and receive a message saying they will respond within 24 hours. That was 30 hours ago and still nothing. I have emailed, messaged on Twitter and still no response. So now there is a village Christmas parade that will take place and there will not be any gifts for the children as promised. GoFundMe has been completely non-responsive.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I started a GoFundMe account for a father of a military dependent that was killed by her husband with PTSD active duty. He show her and then himself leaving the two girls under 12 years of age to live with their grandfather. The money was only to go to the grandfather to help take care of any needs he came across then the 17 year old brother of the two girls whom never lived with his mother and stepfather wanted the cash (his father is money hungry. He has full custody of the 17 year old). I absolutely love the 17 year old but the money was not to be split up 3 ways. It was to go to the beneficiary to take care of whatever he feels needs to be taken care of.

The two girls still have not received the items from their military house that they have with a huge yellow ribbon to this day, leaving the grandfather with having to buy a new winter wardrobe. The grandfather drives a mini van in the snow which is not the best vehicle for these kids. It slides everywhere here in Nebraska but the reason for this review is: The father of the 17 year old convinced this 17 year old to have gofundme make the grandfather give him a 1/3rd of the money we collected. It added up to a little over 7,000 because as we all know gofundme make a % the funds came from people that we know on Grandpa side not on the 17 year olds side. Gofundme was contacted by the 17 year old's father that we need to give a 1/3 to them! My god. This was not about handing out cash!!!

It was for the emergency fund the future of helping when needed, Gofundme contacted me and my sister the other person involved with this fundraiser and wants us to give that money in cash to the dad of the 17 year old. We have to prove different to stop them from taking the money from the only beneficiary on the account. Yes we have to prove it so I sent the name the account was set up which they have. It was not simple setting this up!

I sent all the forms showing how the money is spent (day care for the child not even in school yet the child that walked in after the gun shots and seen her mommy and daddy covered in blood). Her day care is 1,000 full time a month here in Nebraska so to have her 17 year old brother's dad try to take this money and gofundme wanting to give it to him just like that is wrong! I contacted gofundme support Seth and Nate over and over till I could not type any more but no one has tried to reach me except automatic responses! This was a military family we are talking about and only did they raise 7,000. That is not a lot of money but thank God we had that to help with these girls' emergencies.

The military member suffering from PTSD after serving many wars and his beautiful wife are dead leaving these girls with grandparents. I was hoping to get enough money for a vehicle that will drive in the snow or items to help and daycare but with gofundme wanting to take the little money when the 17 year old (not adult) and his father (living in the home they been together in all these years not losing items at all) to allow gofundme to make us beg them to keep the money in the account for future needs has been hard to even contact these guys. I want to talk to them and no one is returning my information.

The only person I set this account under is the grandfather. No one else! This to me is not right. I will remove this review once gofundme reaches out to me ** is the name of my account. If anyone knows a number for me to talk to the CEO PLEASE REACH ME. I AM UPSET. THE COMMUNITY HERE IN OMAHA IS UPSET OVER THIS.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Started a crowdfunding for my education. It was taken down 48hrs after being set up with no problem. I ask the reason, they only say "we can't give you any reason". I already shared with friends and family my page, and received donations for up to $160. When it was taken down they said all donors would get full refunds, up till this date we're still waiting for the last refund of a donor of $50. Customer "happiness" as they call themselves is a joke. No claim number or order, every time you contact them it's a different persona answering, there's no claim status system in place. Abysmal. I would not recommend you use this platform unless you have no other way.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Try to log in - error. Contact customer support - takes forever. Finally log in. Go to accept funds - need to set up phone. Verification never arrives - more customer support. Finally log in, for real this time. Go to set up bank account details - error. This is ridiculous. You'd be better off attaching a $20 bill to a carrier pigeon. It'll get there way faster.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I donated 500.00 for a friend's funeral and got overcharge, when I was at checkout they charge me 500.00. I got the bill it was 575.00. I want a refund. This is a charge not authorized. I will start a class action lawsuit and get everyone money back. I did not authorize a tip, nor any extra charges from Go Fund Me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Without asking what additional information they need they disabled our link. Their customer service is worse than the IRS’s! None! Will never use them again. There is no phone number to call and there is no other way to complain about their own customer service.

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2019

A lady from GoFundMe was able to process my info and worked with WePay to make my account work so the problem has been solved. I just don't understand how such a well-known platform can have so many errors in its coding. But I'm still happy the situations been handled.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

So to withdraw money I have to verify my phone number. Error messages! It took me two weeks to get verified for something that should be done in under a minute. Now WePay is asking me for my ID, yet when I click on their upload link I get.... ta da! Error message!!! What a garbage joke of a site. I wish I would have read these reviews before I even considered using their service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

We've been waiting for 2 weeks from GoFundMe to pay the funds we have raised. It's been almost two months since my friend's body is waiting in a fridge to be repatriated and buried in peace. What are they waiting for to help us? The only answers I get from them are messages that they will come back to me within 1-2 business days but we can not wait any longer. Do you find it normal that I have to fight against a platform that is supposed to help us mourn? Do you find it normal that I have to fight to recover the money we have raised? It's a shame.

How can I explain to my boyfriend's family that we can not find peace because I gave my trust to a platform that benefits from people's distress? How do I explain to his loved ones that we have to wait because GoFundMe does not find our mourning legitimate? They think that because someone is dead, he can still wait before being buried with his family? What we suffer is an abuse of trust, power and it's morally unbearable. My boyfriend just turned 24 years old, he was fatally murdered while going to buy milk for my breakfast. He deserves peace.

GoFundMe Company Information