2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.5/5 (391 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I set up a GoFundMe page for a family friend who needed to apply for a VISA to continue working to support his young siblings. We tried setting up withdrawals and received confirmation it was successful yet no funds were released. We keep receiving notifications that withdrawals must be set up by June 5 2021 otherwise the donations get refunded. Emailed GoFundMe on support@gofundme.com only to be told in their response that I sent an email to an unmonitored inbox. What are we supposed to do when we’ve followed their instructions in the sites Help Centre and no withdrawals occur???? I will know better next time to not use GoFundMe to help someone. Unreliable and disappointing.

GoFundMe response

We are so very sorry to hear that this was your experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you still need support our team is happy to help. Here is a video that shares the easiest ways to get in contact with our team: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001972728-How-do-I-Contact-Support. We hope this helps in the future.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Anything I had a question on or a problem with was quickly resolved by patient and knowledgeable people. The only problem I had turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part. They kindly talked me through it.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your positive feedback, Ken. Our team is more than happy to help anytime.

Original review: March 30, 2021

A friend had set-up a fundraiser for her grand daughter who needed heart surgery. After she had set it up I immediately donated $100 plus $5 service fee to kick off the fundraiser. It didn't take long for us to realize that she had a lot of difficulties with the site. Tons of her donors contacted her frustrated and told her the site was non-operational. My friend had tried and failed for several days to contact Gofundme for assistance but has always reached a deadend. When I voiced my concern as to my donation she told me that the website stated that unclaimed funds will be refunded to the donor if it has not been collected by the fundraiser within 60 days.

Fast track 1 year later I still have not received a refund on my bank account. My friend also claims that she was never able to access the account to obtain the donated fund. So I contacted Gofundme for assistance. They promptly replied to me and told me that because it has been a year since the transaction the banks would not allow them to give me my money back. Instead they suggested that I refer my friend to them so that they can assist my friend re the missing funds. It took a couple of tries for my friend to get a hold of them and once she finally got in touch and her identity had been verified, they promptly told her that the funds had been escheated to the State of Colorado.

We were shocked to find out why this happened and questioned them regarding this practice. We also reiterated their policy of the 60 day refund policy for unclaimed funds. After we pointed this out and were asking for clarification the customer service rep conveniently closed the conversation and promptly advised us that this was all they had to say about the matter and not to expect any further information from them.

This is the first time in all the years I have donated to Gofundme that this has happened to me. I campaigned for their site to a lot of my friends in need. Whilst this fundraiser wasn't successful I feel that as a consumer I was cheated of my $105 donation which my friend had badly needed for the surgery. I went to Gofundme to ask for my money back so that I could send the funds to my friend directly. Instead I am told that the State of Colorado has my money. I am very surprised why or how did the State of Colorado have the right to my money? Aren't these companies held accountable for their unfair business practices. They clearly want to mislead us into thinking that a government had taken our money just to shut down our inquiry.

Never again will I look at Gofundme in a positive light. They are simply white collar criminals hiding behind an app. After this incident they sent me a customer service rating survey and when I wrote down my dissatisfaction as a negative comment the screen had conveniently froze on me and did not allow me to finish my review. Just like the way they did to us during our service call and my friend's repeated attempt to contact them about her problems on the site. We felt that we were blocked with frozen screens and dead end links to silence us.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Really hate how there is no phone # to get in contact with someone!! You guys are terrible when it comes addressing people via email! Had an urgent matter regarding issuing refunds and no answer! I sent numerous emails regarding this because the written questions don't really help.

GoFundMe response

We apologize for the trouble, Flora. While we don't have the capabilities to offer phone support now, we are happy to assist you over email. Please reach out to us here and we'll get back to you soon: https://support.gofundme.com/hc

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I started a GoFundMe for a friends at work going thru a rough time. I have raised over 5000$ but can’t access my account. I’ve sent 3 emails now with no response. It was easy to set up and get going but now I can’t access it to give my friend the money he desperately needs.

GoFundMe response

Thanks for your review, Holly. We want to make sure we can help you with accessing your fundraiser, so please contact us through this link and one of our support agents will be happy to assist: https://support.gofundme.com/hc

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I had heard of GoFundMe here and there. When I came to a point when I really needed help I set up a fundraiser. It was fairly easy to set up and my fundraiser was successful. Here I am needing money to pay rent. Then I find out after I raised the money I needed. I'll be waiting weeks to get the money. In these times with automatic transfers that happen at a click of a button. I find it very hard to believe that a site that is set up to help people in need. Is making you wait so long to get the money we need. This company needs some competition. There are many better ways to transfer money Why can't they find a way? I wish I would have read this page before setting it up....

GoFundMe response

We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our site and service. It is never our intention to make things more difficult during an already difficult time. We do share withdrawal timelines during the fundraiser setup. The average timeline for receiving funds raised is 3-5 business days. We must follow strict guidelines and regulations and sometimes that makes for a longer processing or account verification timeline.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

GoFundMe not only is it difficult to begin with it loves to freeze up and lock you out of your own fundraiser with no human to interact with no phone number = seemingly no accountability! Am so disappointed in this huge disaster. Don't know if funds are coming in or not. Can't access account. App is constantly telling me GoFundMe is not available now for last 3 days! Must speak to my doctors, work, and was supposed to be getting married when an accident made it impossible for now. Feel like my world is caving in: but on the bright side I can get the runaround from a computer!!!! :-( . 10 thumbs down! :-(

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry to hear about your circumstances and that you had a difficult experience with our app. That is never our inattention. While we don't offer phone support you can reach our team through email or chat here: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us. We are always available to help navigate any issues regarding your GoFundMe account.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My vehicle was reported stolen on December 27th 2020. It was stolen from Tulsa and taken to Oklahoma City. Tulsa Pd contacted me the next day December 28th 2020 @ 8:30 am. I contacted Twister Towing to get the price of release and was told that the price was $440.00 within the first 48 hours. I informed them that I was a single mother of 3 they were unconcerned. Not to mention being in the middle of an eviction during the pandemic.

I called again on the 4th of January to do a follow up. But found out that my 2nd stimulus was delayed a week. (Due to filing with Turbo Tax) So I called on the the 14th of January right before catching a Lyft to discover when I get to twister towing they didn’t have the keys to my vehicle. I ask why they didn’t inform me of that before I came and the response was, "Do you even have enough money to get it anyway." My reply was that I had the money for the release of my vehicle however I did not have extra money to pay a locksmith for a replacement key. (After being informed by Tulsa Pd and witnessing on the Bethany pd inventory report that the vehicle is drivable) Twister Towing and the law enforcement of Bethany are cold hearted individuals. Me and my children need our vehicle due to the fact that we’re from Texas and this was the second time my vehicle has been stolen in a 2 month period.

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry to hear about what you experienced with Twister Towing, Josephine. It looks like you left your review for Twister Towing on the GoFundMe review page on Consumer Affairs. While it typically can take 3-5 business days to collect funds raised through GoFundMe, we are here to help if you ever have a situation that you need to raise funds for in the future. We are wishing you all the best.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Eight days ago, Irish hare coursers set up a fundraiser to "save" their "sport". Hare coursing is a barbaric activity, still legal in the Republic of Ireland, but banned in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 77% of ROI citizens want hare coursing outlawed, according to an independent poll conducted by RED C polling company in September 2019.

Every year, up to thousands of timid Irish Hares are snatched up in nets, kept in coursing compounds and forced to flee for their lives before two greyhounds at coursing matches, where gambling on the outcome takes place. Hares are terrorised, and are at risk of being injured and killed, and every year, hares died after being mauled by greyhounds. See video footage at **.

The hare coursers plan to use the funds to mount a legal challenge against the Irish government, which has placed a temporary ban on their sick "sport" because of Covid 19 restrictions. Donators on this GoFundMe page are hare coursing supporters, coursing clubs, greyhound trainers and owners, plus gambling outlets such as BoyleSports who sponsor the national finals of hare coursing barbarism.

Clearly, GoFundMe are in breach of their Terms & Services, which state that the service cannot be used to raise funds for any cause related to gambling and greyhound racing, but despite many appeals, GoFundMe has turned a blind eye to the gambling issue, and more shamefully the horrendous cruelty to animals. Shame on them! They appear to have absolutely no principles, and their Terms of Service are not worth the paper they're written on.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

This is a (real) story about GoFundMe:

1) On 10th December 2020 Brandy ** was found dead on her room by her nine-year-old son - see here **.

2) Before dying Brandy received a multitude of death threats, home invasions and intimidations. She therefore asked her best friend to open an investigation in case she died and a fundraising campaign to support that.

3) The fundraising campaign was immediately created on GoFund.me after her death. But, after raising over 50,000 usd, Godfund.me banned the campaign without any notice and specific reason.

4) Not only that. GoFund.me promised to refund all payments. But that NEVER happened (as many people reported here **), unless you opened a support ticket and requested for your refund.

5) In addition to that Gofund.me never sent an email to inform its Supporters that the campaign was banned. Why?

6) I have personally been waiting for almost a month for my refund without success. and no money has been refunded. But worst than that GoFund.me never explained anybody the exact reason for banning.

7) Why? Do your math... Many people said that GoFund.me is sponsored (or lobbied) by BigPhama. Just look at the past history of the 2 founders (Brad Damphousse and Andrew Ballester) and you will probably understand why. I don't know, the only thing I am sure is that...

I will NEVER, ever use Gofund.me again!

GoFundMe Company Information