2.94/5

226 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

A GoFundMe campaign was created to raise money for stepson hospitalization and for funeral expenses. I set the withdrawal over a weeks ago and the money still has not been transferred to the bank account, therefore we cannot pay for the funeral and the withdrawal date keeps getting pushed back. We have done everything suggested and confirming the banking info. Please help us resolve this. There isn't a phone number to call for assistance. This has been a horrible time for our family and instead of GoFundMe helping, they have added frustration. Do not use them!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

We set up a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for my nephew's funeral expenses. I set the withdrawal over two weeks ago and the money still has not been transferred to my bank account, therefore we cannot pay for the funeral and the withdrawal date keeps getting pushed back. We have done everything suggested including updating the story with additional information and confirming the banking info. We have received NO emails asking for any documents. Please help us resolve this. There isn't a phone number to call for assistance. GoFundMe has added more stress to an already grieving family. My daughter started the campaign and I am the beneficiary so that we could take care of this for my brother and him not have to worry about it. This has been a horrible time for our family and instead of GoFundMe helping, they have added frustration. Do not use them!

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I was raising money for my friend who is going to participate in bodybuilding championship. Due to his bad financial status I was raising 9000 dollars. All of sudden GoFundMe suspended the campaign without any reason. I will never use GoFundMe again. GoFundMe is easy for scammer and they give hard time when people do it for some good cause.

Original review: July 26, 2019

It has been two days and the funds arent realeased and they keep telling us another 24 hours. Our dear friend needs to bury his 15 year old son and no one will respond or fix the problem. Just astonishing. THIS IS FRAUD. DO NOT USE this company.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My sister`s nice set up a funeral fundraiser called "Arek`s Wish` to help her manage the costs of her husband`s funeral. She raised over 17 000 Canadian dollars. It happened at the beginning of July. Until today my sister has not received any money despite multiple attempts of money withdrawal. The family is devastated because they really need this support during the hardest of times and it affects their life in a very dramatic way. It seems like the raised money have been purposely held back and every day they are losing hope for a positive ending. All the donors that generously donated have been deceived as well. Cannot get over this company`s cruelty and ruthlessness. Hopefully the court will get them the money back if it comes to that. Do not use GoFundMe!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: July 20, 2019

Warning do not use GoFundMe. It’s a SCAM. They hold your money. They lock your account. And No Customer Service. None. They have no phone number. They refuse to help. We have filed complaints with BBB and are contacting an attorney.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Where shall I begin... My cousin started a GF account to help with the expenses of her daughter medical bills. I donated $200 to her and later found out that GoFundMe had withdrawn an additional $200 to tip themselves... I tried getting in contact with them but they have no Toll Free contact number on their website nor do they respond to their “live chat”. I contacted my credit card to inform them of this unauthorized charge of $200 but GoFundMe is claiming I authorize this charge and I willingly tipped them $200.

First of all why in the hell would I tip them that and not just give it to the person requesting help.. To make a long story short they have robbed me from $200 and now I will be appealing this charge for the 3rd time. I am so angry about this because after I attempted to do something good for a family I am now being screwed over by this very UNETHICAL organization... Never again!!!! Don’t trust your credit card info or this so called good company with your $$.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Where shall I begin? I have been a professional recording artist for decades, and I used a GFM as a way of trying to get help paying a tax property lien. I had links to all sorts of verifying documentation as well as to my Wikipedia artist page. Yet, they kicked back overseas donations - many of my fans are overseas - and then prevented me from getting donations at all, without any sort of explanation. I provided ID, DL and passport, but in the end they took down my page and cost me precious time raising money. I think they just cop attitudes and have some sort of agenda that determines who they like and who they will sabotage. I would not be surprised at all since there is no way to contact anyone to go over the heads of the countless unhelpful idiot bots that claim to be "Customer Happiness" reps. Someone needs to sue them, because they are not a legitimate business.

Original review: June 27, 2019

My friend started a campaign for me, however GoFundMe will not release the funds. They set up a fake verification system that hardly no one can pass. They are actually keeping the funds raised for me because they do not like my Walmart checking card. I have never had trouble using the card before, but GFM refuses to verify it. Their upload system will not accept any documentation. I am also afraid that they will take what little is in the account, since I have heard of them doing so. And another reviewer is right. You cannot call, and no one will help you. It's truly sad that a company that is supposed to be helping people is actually stealing from the needy. It's criminal, unethical, and beyond indecent. Someone really needs to do something about it. They have taken what little hope I had left.

Original review: June 26, 2019

GoFundMe has recently itself created a campaign and donated a large sum of money to it, a very controversial cause. Since I have donated to causes in the past, I asked them to be transparent in where they got the money that they donated in their name... To their own created campaign for this cause. They refused to answer my question. If donors are donating for other causes and the fees they pay to Gofundme are used for Gofundme created campaign donations...I totally think that it should be transparent and let known to prior donors before they do it. I even question if this is something that the IRS should be made aware of.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information