Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

GoFundMe Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2020

We set up a GoFundMe account on 3/12/20; which has collected funds. However, we are NOT able to get these funds Withdrawn and deposited to our bank account. The Company does not have support by phone, online, or email at this time.

Original review: March 30, 2020

They were seemingly polite and doing their job in the beginning. After 8 correspondences with multiple departments while my responses to their emails were sent back via mailerdaemon because their process was ridiculous, I still havent gotten my withdrawal after 4 months of **. When a person changes their legal name, you call them by their preferred name. Their company is run by unprofessional dimwits.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I'm trying to start a GoFundMe page for my hairdresser who is out of work and needs support for her workers and overhead. I am having such a hard time setting it up, and there is no one to call or email for help. Not good.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I’ve had to open a “GoFundMe” page and the website/App doesn’t work! In order for you to be able to withdraw you have to go through the APP, but the APP doesn’t open and just disappears. I’ve reached out to Customer Service and they have an auto reply email saying “response will take 72” hours, but when you look on GFM’s social media (Instagram/Facebook) pages, you will see MANY people complaining about not hearing from them at all and no resolution in not obtaining their funds!

Original review: March 10, 2020

Go Fund Me told me they sent out my money. It never came in. They said my bank must have lost it, my bank said it never came in. So I lost 1170$ for my father who was just amputated. Super shady. I do not recommend them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I started a campaign to help my daughter be able to go on a trip with her high school varsity choir. She immediately got $115 of the $500 needed. (Health issues have drained any funds we’d normally have to send her on a trip like this.) Go Fund Me said they made the first deposit of $81 on one day and the other $26 on day two. Second deposit came in but the $81 vanished. We reached out to GFM and was told that our bank lost it. Bank said they never received it. I’ve now send the official bank statement to GFM THREE times and have been pretty much ignored. We suspended the campaign, daughter can’t go on trip. GFM is shady. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

GoFundMe is engaging in clear-cut, night-and-day discrimination. There is NO gray area here. They basically told me that my campaign is against their terms of service but everyone else can do it anyway. It is regarding gambling addiction. I DON'T CARE how many times they cite their policy if they're allowing others to have an EXACT DUPLICATE of my campaign. I even sent them links to the other campaigns and the answer was very vague, saying they're not violating GoFundMe's terms of service. Upon asking them what is different about their campaigns, I was ignored. I WILL PERSONALLY fight this to the end but, in the mean time, I want to get the message out to others.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I initiated a fundraising campaign to benefit a friend of mine who is a refugee and five of his family members. I initiated the campaign on January 26. The campaign ultimately raised US$588. On January 27 I got a letter from the GoFundMe "Team" saying, "We noticed the intended recipient of your campaign’s donations may be located in or from a country that is not supported by our payment processors. Until we receive your reply, all withdrawals will be paused." They demanded:

--The full legal name of whomever meets the withdrawal requirements and will be withdrawing your campaign’s donations.
          --The full legal name of the intended recipient/s. This is the person the campaign is raising funds for, or their legal guardian.

--Your plan to deliver the donations directly to the intended recipient, including the name of the money transfer service that will be used to send and receive the funds.

"Once these steps have been completed, please reply directly to this email, and a member of our Community Management team will review your account within one business day." I provided all this information. Instead of going forward and releasing the funds, they demanded a photo of my intended recipient's government-issued ID. Since he does not have an up-to-date passport, I asked the "team" if I could send a photo of his wife's passport instead. The "team" said yes, and I sent the wife's passport.

A few days later the "team" wrote back saying that that's not good enough, they need my friend's own ID. Since he has a French visa, I asked if that would work, and sent it. I expected that my fulfillment of the original request would resolve the matter, and that I would be able to collect the $588 that I had raised. But no, I could not collect the money. And a few days later the "team" wrote back saying they need the government-issued ID of all six members of the group.

GoFundMe seems to be moving the goal posts. I am very uncomfortable with asking my vulnerable refugee friends, a group that includes two children, for all their passports or visas. It seems way beyond what should have been required. I would never have initiated the campaign if I knew that I would have to ask children for their passports.

So on February 14, rather than do that, I decided to end the campaign and refund my donors. GoFundMe has a page that apparently allows that option to campaign organizers like me. It has a big button that you press to refund the donors. I pressed it. What I got, instead of a confirmation of refunds, was a notice that I had to communicate with GoFundMe info, and an email address. The message said to allow 24 hours for a response.

I sent GoFundMe that request immediately. I have sent them such a request to refund my donors every day for the past four days, but I have received no response. GoFundMe provides no phone number, no way from talking to a human, apart from emails, and they are no longer responding to my emails. I still have not been able to collect the $588 I raised, nor to refund my donors. Where is the money now? In the coffers of GoFundMe, apparently.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

24/7 call centre does not exist. One of their workers excuse to me was they have not enough capacity of workers to handle the volume of emails. I began my campaign January 30 - A Brave Woman In Crisis. I was discharged 4 days ago from hospital and still they won’t release my funds. They only add to more unbeatable emotional crisis. Leaving people like me on February 10th without a penny. I never heard from anyone. regarding any issue. I URGENTLY

emailed their “help centre”. CRITICAL SOMEONE respond to me. 5 days later no one had responded. They only have added to my Crisis. Made it worse. Still “reviewing” me.

In total desperation I had to go back into old emails from when I set up my account and find an old thread to a real human being. Thank god I used that old thread and made it through to get help. They play with people’s lives and only deepen the desperation and acute anxiety of being in a critical crisis. Today I'm still waiting. Zero guarantee when or if I will receive a penny. They keep your money. Charge their fees DO NOT care if you could be dying or suicidal from their deplorable lack of service. No words can express my despair and there are zero excuses for their treatment of me.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I do not recommend using GoFundMe. I created a campaign to help with foreclosure. Many of my friends started to donate but donations would not show up on my page. The money was withdrawn from their bank accounts however. Their help center says payments take 24 hours to process but other campaigns started the day after mine and their donations started popping up instantly. I made a donation to test this on another campaign and my donation showed up immediately. I have filled out everything on gofundme and verified my account through email.

Gofundme still has not gotten back to me through email explaining the situation after 3 days. So many people complain about their customer service but they do not care to fix the issue. Absurd service from these people. Do not use gofundme. Use another fundraiser site. Using gofundme will only add more stress to your situation. It's been a horrible experience using their site. Wish I could rate zero stars. I'm almost positive that even if they fix the issue more issues will continue to present themself. So many people have problems with them. It's insane.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information