2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I created an account for a tour guide in Scotland who has lost 100% of income. We raised the desired amount in a week. She cannot get her money. You cannot get customer service as the query results in a loop. No phone to call. Do not do business with them. Scam. Shame on them. We were just trying to help.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

They stole our church's fundraising money. After repeatedly having problems with Paypal connecting to our bank and trying to talk and email to both PayPal and GoFundMe they simply gave away our memorial money giving to someone else. Unbelievable and incredulous.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

A) GoFundMe has no consumer help telephone line to mediate problems.

B) No e-mail notification of the amount nor beneficiary name forwarded after donation.
      C) Fraudulent or discontinued GoFundMe accounts not presented to former donors.
      D) Ostensibly GoFundMe has indemnifications against misleading or fraudulent accounts; it presents little or no assurance that the beneficiary account is valid.

E) Timeliness to resolve discrepancies are non-existent with the convoluted system now in place.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I started receiving notices that my donors would be refunded about 2 months before the Aug. 30th deadline (today). I emailed them many, many times for help. For every 5 emails I sent, I got one answer back. Usually it was cut & pasted from the website which was no help. I can read; if my issue could have been fixed by their help page, would I have emailed them in the first place?! Worse, each email was sent by a different person, so there was no continuity. I emailed my donors through GFM to give them a heads up the day before, but the emails were never sent out! And when I went to log in today, all records of donors & donations were gone. My page says 0 money raised. DO NOT USE THIS PLATFORM!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

If you are crowdfunding to aid Americans in time of need, you should not shut down crowdfunding accounts that are legal. You are now an unfair entity. After your actions I will never use your platform again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

I signed up to raise some money for my family overseas who were impacted by a horrible tragedy due to explosion. I raised 46650 in less than a week. Getting help from this company is like an impossible mission. No one reply to your emails and no phone number and all that you get is "Someone from our team will get back to you within 48 hours." A week has passed and no one is addressing any of my reply To withdraw the donated fund. This is the most frustrating thing that happened to me all my life. I can’t access the fund that the whole cause of this fundraiser is to help someone is so desperate for it. It’s my fault for not doing my research before using this horrible company. I’m still waiting and see if I can can request refund back to all donors. Good luck for me.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

They act like they help the community. But they are snobs who only hire people who already have good jobs in tech corporations or newsrooms. Everyone know GoFund me is a place where scam artists con suckers out of money. There are some applications for inventors.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I started a Go Fund Me for a friend of mine, within 24 hours it had raised $600. But as the organizer I cannot access my dashboard - which means I cannot access the funds being donated. No help from customer service was possible - they have no phone number, just a crummy email form to fill out that takes 48 hours to respond. People are still donating to the fundraiser, but I don't know if I will ever be able to access those funds. I can't even access my account to refund the donors! This is a horrific site with terrible or non-existent customer service. DO NOT USE IT!!!

Original review: July 17, 2020

Just wanting to add my voice to the chorus: Many problems with GoFundMe and practically non-existent customer support. In addition to major login problems, have been trying to withdraw funds unsuccessfully for six weeks. Experience mirrors what others have experienced. GoFundMe business model feels very sleazy these days. I'd avoid it until they can reinstate decent customer support and guarantee withdrawal of funds in a timely manner.

Original review: July 6, 2020

When you donate to a cause it asks you if you want your donation to be anonymous. But in reality Gofundme sends the recipient your name. They also will not allow you to make more than one donation to a cause. If you do not want this type of experience, stay away from their organization!!

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information