2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.5/5 (392 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Gofundme will not release funds to a friend who is raising money to save his father's life in Venezuela. They are in desperate need of the money as his father is currently tubed in Venezuela due to COVID19. As we speak his father is fighting for his life and if he does not receive the money he will die. The clinic is threatening his family that if they do not receive further payment they will have to cut him off and hence he will die. Venezuela is not the U.S. By any means there is no human rights whatsoever; no money you die. Simple as that. Gofundme stop playing god and release the funds those in need. You are jeopardizing this family's wellbeing and I'm sure this is not the first one and will not be the last one. Please do something!! TICKET #**

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Early 2020 I started a campaign to raise funds for a new invention called carbon monoxide. The campaign did not work within 2 months. I closed the campaign down and tried to receive my funds I donated to myself $110. I found it through the routing number electronically you had to set up but the money was donated off of my debit card. It's been over a year trying to collect my money now from GoFundMe. I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. They stated they could not make them pay. Today it's October the 6th 2021 and I still have not received a dime. I was told they were not going to pay me. They sent me a text and "We can only pay you through an electronic means." I sent my new debit card and they contact and said, "We can't send money to that."

My bank warned me not to give them my routing numbers again because the bank had a problem with GoFundMe. My last text to GoFundMe was to send it to my cash app and I still have not heard back from GoFundMe yet. To me this is a cyber crime but I'm not the judge. Don't want no one else to get caught up in it especially if there'd be more money involved and if illegal system can't do anything to get our money back. We're just giving our money away.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

The GoFundMe website will not allow me to withdraw funds from a fully-funded campaign. I am the sole organizer on behalf of a private party. I have had an account for years and have donated and provided financial information for every donation. I deleted an old credit card on file but that should not prohibit me from withdrawing. The beneficiary is to do the withdrawal. I can't even get to that portal. There is no "team" as they say sometimes a "team member" can't withdraw. I am the sole fundraiser.

What happens is this: 1. I click the "Withdraw" button. 2. GoFundMe asks me to verify my email. No problem. 3. I click "Verify". 4. I check my email. 5. I click on the "Verify" link they email me and am immediately taken back to the fundraiser page. 6. I click on the "Withdraw" button and am asked again to verify my email. 7. Repeat ad nauseum.

There is no request for additional information, no error message, nothing. I sent a help request and while GoFundMe claims that they respond within 24 hours, I have received no response after 48 hours. I am reading dozens of reviews from people with the same experience, no response, no help at all. I am a professional fundraiser and have huge regrets for not reading the reviews before using GoFundMe. This *supposed to be* a resource for human beings in real trouble. This type of NEGLIGENT website management is not appropriate for the magnitude of the impact on someone expecting funds when they are in dire straits. It is beyond unacceptable. The many reviews of people having the same problem speaks volumes for GoFundMe's mismanagement.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

People need help, And help should not be denied because of their political views or race, religion, or whether they're a victim of medical malpractice. Am sure Gofundme started out with good intentions, Unfortunately your good reputation is being tainted by some bad decision.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Although I have used GoFundMe in the past, this last experience made me decide to never go back again under any circumstances. I pushed my financial limit and gave $500 to a fund raiser that was just getting started, with a goal of $25,000 and just a few donors totaling about $2,000 from about 5-6 people. I went back 2 days later to see how they were doing, and they were gone with no explanation whatsoever.

I contacted gofundme to solve the mystery. Although they responded, they were no help. They could not tell me what happened to the fund raiser or where my money went. They either didn't know or it was private information. I tried e-mailing the fund-raiser sponsor, as I had done once previously, and my e-mail came back as undeliverable. So I am sitting in the total dark, knowing nothing. Gofundme's response, while polite, was basically "too bad, we can't tell you anything." Do you really want to risk donating to a company like that??

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

It's been months since I raised just under $1000. Unfortunately, the charity still hasn't received this money and it's becoming and back and forth email chain and still getting nowhere to solve it. The charity has enrolled and done everything requested and we're still having issues. Then the other issues is this company just charges fees after fees, not only do they take % of your donation, they also take a % of the total figure when you are ready to deposit the money to a charity. You will slowly see your raised money decline significantly. Avoid this company, use anything else such as Facebook. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Let’s just that this is a platform who loves to prey upon vulnerable people in their greatest need. They approved my campaign but refused to release the funds: delaying, ghosting, and the demanding some serious sensitive documents. God knows what they do with them. I think they know that when you’re desperate you might disclose anything to get the issue resolved. That is what happened to me. I am disgusted with their approach to customer service. They refuse to call so they hide behind their emails stating “this is to keep track of the conversation”. In reality this how they hide behind their computer while they enjoy the 2.9% and more fees they collect from the donors. Also keep in mind, it is even better if they refund your campaign because the money gets to set in their account a little longer. You probably read the vibe here. I choose the worst platform to raise funds from my friends and family. Everyone was shocked to see this happen.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

In the wake of the earthquake in Haiti on August 14, 2021. Our company Co-Founder who is from one of the affected areas fielded appeals from his hometown. We set up a fundraiser to provide water on an emergency basis to the town. The fundraiser is currently "blocked for review" since the day we initiated it while over $12K has been donated for the relief. We have managed on our own to get the water to the town, with still no access to the funds donated by our supporters. This had the potential to severely damage our reputation and adversely affect the beneficiaries. We may never use this platform again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I had a friend who was in dire straits during Covid. They set up a GoFundMe account in order to feed their family. I attempted to donate $500. Go fund me took a 10% fee of $50. So my donation was $550. When I spoke to my friend to confirm she received the $500 I learned they charged her $50 as well, so she only received $450. So GoFundMe charges 20% of any donated them out. This is ridiculous!!!! I will never use GoFundMe again. I should have sent the money through Venmo or Zelle and they were been no fees. I suggest anyone sending money to anyone not use GoFundMe and use one of these other methods that charge no fees.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

What a dreadful time we are having with Go Fund Me in actually GETTING our funds withdrawn. True, it was easy to set up Go Fund Me, easy for our donators to donate and we did get some helpful advice from Marvel who helped us refund an elderly donator who got caught out by the tipping part; that was good. BUT in terms of setting up withdrawals we are having a nightmare of a time. And for us, time is running out with GFM threatening to refund all our donators by Sep 14th 2021 yet we started the withdrawal process July 30th and are still yet to see the money or get any REAL support from GFM to understand what the hold up is.

Despite filling in all the required documents and ID process and receiving a notification saying that we are set up for withdrawals, we continuously see a message at the top of the page saying 'we need more info' so around and around in circles we go looking for supposed emails they have sent saying what we need to do next and attempts to email/chat/speak to someone who can help is IMPOSSIBLE. WE have exhausted all online chat groups, links, support messages etc and just need a human to help us out.

It seems to me that that part of Go Fund Me whereby they are making money (off the donations and tips) is a well oiled machine and certainly, they are quick to respond in this part, but, when it comes to servicing the recipient of the donations and in many cases, the most vulnerable and needy person, they abandon their customer service. This is a dreadful blight on a business model which COULD do so much good (and possible has?) but they MUST pick up the ball in regards to withdrawals and include an escalation department and place for people to call when in dire need. I HATE to think the people we have raised $23,000 for to fight a legal battle will be left with no money this September. Come on GFM pick up your game and take a call.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information