1.60/5
Based on 109 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

148 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I contributed to a GoFundMe started by a friend Betty ** titled ** to assist a woman she sponsored who was dealing with her mother's typhoid fever. The need was urgent, she raised $943, and was unable to get the funds to send to her young woman for medical care. No explanations. And worse, NO phone number to call and get answers. A business this large dealing with this volume of money should be REQUIRED to have a phone number to get real answers. She still has not been given our donations. I want answers if I am EVER going to trust my funds to GoFundMe again. And give us a valid phone number with real live people if you have nothing to hide!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I guess it's too much work! I am a Canadian citizen, in the Dominican Republic and set up a GoFundMe to raise funds for equipment and uniforms for a group of Dominican kids to play soccer. I asked for support and they shut down my fundraiser without warning! After we had received the first donations Guy named Francisco! Guess it was too much work to actually help with the questions I asked! Dont waste your time...

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I donated to a GoFundMe account yesterday for the first time. At first they were going to charge me a so called 10% tip. I looked and saw two other options, a 5% tip and an others category. The others defaulted to a 10% tip. The min I had to pay to make a donation was 5%. That is not a tip, that is a fee. What a rip, I will no longer donate to your fund. I will write a personal check to the party in need and bypass this fund. Your tip is a fee, I had no option but to pay you 5% min. Getting 5% min from every dollar is a scam.

GoFundMe response

Hey there Rick. We're happy to verify that the tip is 100% voluntary. When making any future donations on GoFundMe, you may always choose the tip option that works best for you from the drop down menu as shown here: https://i.imgur.com/P8JVYyP.png. You may select a $0.00 tip by choosing the "Other" option.

If you did not intend to leave a tip, you may always contact our team at http://www.gofundme.com/contact and we'll be happy to refund your tip in full.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We created the account to get funds for my very unwell child to see a private doctor, GoFundMe keep pushing back the date of the withdrawal, it has changed 4 times now and we need the funds by the 13th, they will not answer my emails and don't care that they have put a child's health at risk.

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry for the trouble you've had contacting us, Dan. We certainly want to make sure we get those funds to you as soon as possible.

To make sure you're able to get in contact with us, please visit our contact page http://www.gofundme.com/contact rather than sending a direct email. Our team will then be happy to look into these withdrawals for you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe account for my uncle that is fighting Pancreatic Cancer in Venezuela. I live in Canada and I have access to more people that can help with a good cause than my family back home so I decided to open a campaign to help raise money to cover the medical bills. I have seen hundreds of campaign out there with just few information, or with similar cases that have reached a lot of good people willing to donate. However, I guess I was the lucky one that GoFundMe chose to not like. My campaign was reviewed and somehow rejected. I was told by one of their reps that they were not pleased with the way the money was going to be delivered to the beneficiary.

Not everybody knows, but in Venezuela there is an economic crisis. There is no paper to print money and all transactions have to be done electronically with a lot of limitations, so everyone has to use 3rd parties to get the full amount of money needed even to buy groceries. Therefore, when I explained GoFundMe that I was going to send the money to my family via a 3rd party that has access to exchange my currency (CND dollars to Venezuelan Bolivares) they could not accept and requested me to close the campaign and refund the money.

In reality, I did not raise much and most of the donations came from close friends, which I appreciate, so I just decided to deactivate the campaign. I don't really like to deal with issues like this and felt that somehow they thought the campaign was not real. However, I am surprise that a platform like GoFundMe that has seen a lot of cases because of the Venezuelan Crisis could not understand and I also wonder how other cases are treated. It is impossible to open an account in dollars to a beneficiary that is in another country so I still wonder how other campaigns are ok and not the one I did. The experience was definitely very disappointing as the person that was reviewing the campaign could not even offer a call where we could have a better discussion and understanding of the situation. Again, I understand policies and respect them, but the customer service could have been much better.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your feedback, Daniela. In order to keep GoFundMe as the safest place to give, our Community Management team requires the funds to have a clear and direct path to the beneficiary.

In this case, since a direct path to the beneficiary cannot be provided, we are unable to continue processing payments for your campaign. We do apologize for any inconvenience with this and hope that you're able to find another way to help your uncle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

So we open a GoFundMe campaign to help my goddaughter parents, Luz ** was kill by a driver on June 24th, we decided to open a GoFundMe for funeral expenses also for the mom because she was also injured by the same driver. Our community was devastated by the accident and we see a rapidly respond and everyone share my campaign and donate it, there were also few other campaigns tell why and how they were available to withdraw the money and they don't have a relationship with Luz, but here I'm every single day with the parents claiming justice and GoFundMe have the nerve to question myself, I send several emails and no response to my questions for almost a month now plus a huge debt because we were count on these donations. I'm very disappointed at GoFundMe for their unprofessional way have handled this type of situations.

GoFundMe response

Hello Fabiola. We're sorry for the trouble you've had contacting us! We do see that you've now been able to get in touch with our Community Management team in order to begin the process of verifying your relationship to the beneficiary. In order to keep GoFundMe as the safest place to give, we review all campaigns to ensure that the ultimate beneficiary has direct access to the fund. We thank you for your cooperation with our Community Management team to help them through this process.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been trying to withdraw funds for days! Could not get in without password & would not send me a password reset. Finally got in through my FB account. Got everything entered & past robot. They then wanted a copy of my bank statement or voided check! Seriously, you are keeping a chunk of donations. You can pick up the phone to verify account. They even sent another link to download information so it would not go over email. It also doesn't work either. If, this is a ploy to keep monies to gain some interest or use for investments. Very sad. This process is antiquated & very sketchy. I need these funds to pay medical bills that resulted in death. I can see why people contact an attorney. I do not need people giving me the runaround. I will never recommend.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

‪Thanks GoFundMe, for deleting all user data and fundraisers from Youcaring.com since you acquired them. My wife relied on the many comments of support that you deleted with no notice and no way of getting back. ‬

GoFundMe response

Hello there J. We’re truly sorry for the experience you've had with the closing of YouCaring.

To help ease this transition, all of YouCaring had a banner posted at the top of the website providing the details for the merger. We also emailed all campaign organizers with information about the shut down as recent as July 25th: https://i.imgur.com/8SKY6qk.png.

We do apologize if this information did not reach you prior to the closing of YouCaring.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

For the past few days “WePay” the payment processor for GoFundMe campaigns has emailed me saying my 300$ worth of donated funds are on hold until update banking info etc. I have updated my banking info in which nothing has changed since my previous successful withdrawals. My name is both the Admin name and the name on the bank account and they are both spelled correctly. There is no new update to the routing number of my bank account either. Please resolve this issue as soon as possible because we have received donations and they keep being withheld over multiple days and it’s very time sensitive that we receive the funds because it’s for my little sister who is chronically ill and in excruciating pain.

I have emailed several times. No one has responded or reached out to me to resolve this issue so now it’s looking like GoFundMe is one big scam, even if not they have been extremely unprofessional and unpleasant and deserve to be exposed. And quite frankly seeing all the other complaints and reviews makes it a complete nightmare. No one should even have to go to this extent of exposing them to get any feedback from them. They can’t be trusted.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry for the trouble you had receiving your withdrawals and contacting us, Ariel.

For your withdrawals, it looks like our payment processor wanted to verify some of the details of your withdrawals and donations. This is done to protect you from any potential chargebacks or fraudulent donations. We do see that you've now been able to get in touch with us, and clear everything up. Rest assured, GoFundMe is legitimate here to help.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I tried to contact gofundme.com, but could not get past the robot prove you are human by checking the box because it kept spinning around and around for over five minutes. Heard they do not like to answer questions. I donated $50 to the McGlockton Fund and was charged $7.50, or 15% extra to process it. That really angered me. How much did the McGlockton Fund have to pay to receive the donation, and how do I even know they received it or the fund received it? I really disliked having to give my credit card information and won't do it again. If I can't donate directly or by Paypal, I will not use my credit card info with the CCV. GoFundMe feels like a scam operation, excessively profitable for them.

GoFundMe response

We're happy to confirm that we're not a scam operation, Linda. That 15% charge that you're referring to is the optional tip that was made at the time of your donation: https://bit.ly/2yUbxM4. Now that GoFundMe has 0% platform fees, generous tips from our donors allow us to maintain and improve our free platform.

If you did not intend to leave a 15% tip, please feel free to reply back to your receipt directly, or visit http://www.gofundme.com/contact so that we may help with a refund.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2018

This was an error on my part and my bank for not looking futher back into my account.Gofundme deposited the money into my account earlier into may account than their records showed online. All is good. One thing Gofundme does Need is a customer service land line for better service and communication.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I set up a campaign for my friend to help with medical and funeral expenses. GoFundMe shows that there was a withdrawal for $367.48 on July 22, 2018. I have never received this money and have gone thru my bank. I have sent them an email from my bank and they still want to give me the runaround. I have informed them if this was not taken care of ASAP my attorney would pick up where I left off. Very disappointed with GoFundMe and I will never use them again.

GoFundMe response

We're so glad to hear that you received your funds, Ann!

Please know GoFundMe currently offers full customer support through email only, so we can continue serving thousands of users daily, and keep detailed records of all conversations. While we do not have a phone number, you can always reach our team over email 24/7 by visiting http://www.gofundme.com/contact

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe account for my uncle a few months back to raise money for his kidney transplant for expenses and things of that nature while he was Away. I have been trying for weeks to withdraw the funds for him as he really needs this money, The total raised was $615 but it says that total after fees is 563 approximately. I have been unable to get access to the funds needed for my uncle, and it is getting to the point now that both myself and my uncle are considering speaking to a Lawyer and taking GoFundMe to court even though it's a relatively small amount of money. I have been unable to speak to anyone at the company as there is no phone number and I Have emailed GoFundMe several times with regard to this matter.

I have turned it over now to my uncle and he will be taking further action. He is not working, and therefore needs this money to pay for expenses he incurred while he was away having his kidney transplant. I need to get this matter settled asap and if someone does not get back to me today and tell me that the funds will be transferred, I will encourage my uncle to take further action with regards to this and he will be suing the company for a lot more than what he has raised. I can promise that. This is not fair, the money was raised for him to help him with his expenses and now he does not have access to it. Get it fixed or further action will be taken.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2018

My personal laptop bag with MacBook Pro and DJ gear was stolen from my car after the driver window was broken out so I started a campaign to help me with costs of replacement. I raised $540 and only received $350 of the donations into my account. That felt like a HUGE cut for them! So I emailed them and asked them if that was right and never heard back, no response. It started to feel like they were maybe not fully legit so I did a search and found all these reviews of similar happenings. I guess I’m not the only one. I will discourage anyone I know from using this platform to raise funds.

GoFundMe response

We're certainly legit, and would be happy to clarify our fees, Dawn. GoFundMe recently introduced a free platform for all personal US campaigns. There is a standard payment processing fee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per donation.

If you have received some of your funds, please note that some withdrawals may still be processing.

It is always our goal to ensure you receive 100% of your balance, so please contact our team at http://www.gofundme.com/contact so that we may ensure you receive your funds.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I set up an account to raise money for my attorney fee "TO GET BACK MY LITTLE SON IN THE TRIAL". I set up my withdraw first time and I received email that "I will get my check in the mail in up to 10 business days". Nothing came but another email later that I need to set up my withdraw to get a money. Which I did this time to let send my money to my bank account. I received email that "I will get money in 5 business days on my bank account". NOTHING CAME! MY situation is very hard already! I am fighting for my little son in custody battle with "husband" who made many false allegation to take my son from me, which he did in May 2018!

NOW I need $30 thousand dollars for that TRIAL (attorney fee), but I can't even get that donation which is now $2.800! There is no any respond to anything, NOW I AM just more desperate mother who need money for that legal situation. MY SON IS punishing that he need to live with person who is danger to him and that he can't be with his lovely mommy. IF I have no any money from GoFundMe, I can't even go through Custody TRIAL. Please, I need to get my money right from GoFundMe as soon as possible.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Romana. GoFundMe withdrawals do typically take 2-5 business days to reach the bank account on file once the funds leave our system. Please note that the funds leave our system based on the selected frequency - daily, weekly or monthly.

If withdrawals are set up to a monthly frequency, your withdrawal will not begin until the 1st of the following month. We do apologize for the early email here, and can confirm your funds are on the way now.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We had a donation from a friend of $200.00 and GoFundMe only credited $5. The only way to contact them is through text via their website but nobody responds and there is no contact number. Please help as we started this page out of hardship. Thank you.

GoFundMe response

Hello Michael. Sorry for the trouble you and your donor had reaching our team. You can always reach our team at any time at our contact link: http://www.gofundme.com/contact.

With that said, it looks like our team was able to verify that the donor had accidentally swapped their donation and tip amount. We're glad we were able to help fix this up for them once you got in touch with us. Your donor can re-do their donation with the correct amounts shown here: https://i.imgur.com/tLMV1kc.png

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

I have patiently waited 7 full business days excluding weekends. We still do not have funds raised into our account. Meanwhile the funeral home needs payment. I have sent 2 tactful inquiries and have heard nothing yet. Highly disappointed.

GoFundMe response

Please accept our condolences for your loss, Jodi.

We do see that our team was able to get in touch with you and help finalize the withdrawal process.

Now that your withdrawal process has been finalized, you should expect the funds in your account within 2-5 business days.

If you do not receive the funds in the timeline our team emailed you about, please feel free to reply directly to the email you received and we'll be right there for you.

Original review: July 22, 2018

We are based from United Kingdom and work around helping children that are homeless and helping family that struggle! "GoFundMe" is not helping. We have had an amazing donation from a loving supporter and to withdraw the donation is not a simple process, first I was told my details didn't pass verification then I was asked to upload photograph identification. This also was a very slow yet not working process. The whole thing about getting support and donation is that we can access the funds to support others! This is not the case and I have emailed the company but the reply is truly of no help!

Original review: July 22, 2018

UNABLE TO GET PAST THE ROBOT CHECK ON GOFUNDME HELP PAGE AND IT GOES ON & ON, meant to block any contact with the company, I am unable to get into my campaign and unable to get past this stupid robot check, the pics are grainy and hard to see. After you click on all the car pictures, then you have to click on all the bus pictures then all the road pictures then all the road sign pictures and most of the pics you can't even see as they are very poor photos so you don't know if it is showing anything or not. Can't see if there is a car or a bus, just really stupid set up, they def don't want anyone to contact them at all.

If you need help it is not there and they are making a hoard of money on these campaigns. I will never use this place again. Since I can't get into the site and there is no phone number they will be pocketing the balance in my account. This is theft on a huge scale. I don't recommend them at all. Beware of this issue. I have messaged them and all they do is send me to that same robot page, and now they will not respond to me at all, this is crap!!!

GoFundMe response

Hello Jeanette. We're sorry for the trouble you had with the captcha process. This is done to ensure that GoFundMe is kept 100% safe and secure.

It does look like our team has reached out to you via email, but if you are not receiving their emails on your primary email address, please be sure to reach out again at http://www.gofundme.com/contact with an alternate email that we may contact you at.

Please note that GoFundMe does not withdraw any remaining balance on your account.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My father suddenly passed away so a friend started a GoFundMe so I could fly home for his funeral. Every time I hit accept the page just refreshes back to the accept page and won’t go further, no error messages. I’ve tried multiple computers/browsers and nothing. I’ve contact customer “support” but they just sent me the link to my campaign, and I’ve been waiting over 8 hrs for a reply. So frustrating. Their lack of support is going to cause me to miss my father's funeral.

Original review: July 21, 2018

A friend of mine set up a GoFundMe in June for my family after we suffered a house fire which destroyed a majority of our belongings. Everything was going great until another friend of mine noticed the campaign and made a substantial donation to help us rebuild our lives. The donation scared off my campaign organiser and she will no longer communicate with them. However myself and the donor have contacted GoFundMe several times about the release of the donation to my account and they are still withholding it despite the donor insisting to them that we have it.

Right now my 3 year old is sleeping on an air mattress because we can't afford to buy him a bed. We are barely keeping ourselves afloat and can't even justify buying ourselves a hairdryer, GoFundMe are causing us more stress on top of the stress we were dealing with having been homeless for 6 weeks, and the trauma of the fire. We just want to start rebuilding and move on with our lives but until this donation is released that can't happen. I have 3 children aged 6, 3 and 1 and they shouldn't have to be going through this because a fundraising company thinks it's okay to play with people's lives. I can assure you once this is over I will never be using GoFundMe again and will be discouraging others from doing so.

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry to hear about your trouble here, Lynette. Campaigns are a team effort by the campaign organizer and the beneficiary to raise funds towards a common goal. When the campaign organizer and beneficiary are no longer on the same page, it can cause delays on the campaign and trouble with the withdrawals. We do see that our team has been able to contact the donor, and help them with other options of ensuring you receive the funds from their donation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2018

2015 I set up an account to raise money to help publish my novel. I put in $50.00 to make sure the account was set up properly. I never did receive any donations and ended up working doubles on my job to finance the publication myself. On June 4th 2018 I was given the opportunity to publish another book and signed a financial agreement for the obligation. I then called GoFundMe to ask if I could continue the account with the $50.00 or did I need to start another. I was told that the $50.00 was already deposited to my bank account. She did not say I could not save money in my gofundme account the same as I did in my first gofundme account. I don't recall what happened to the $50.00, if it really was deposited or not.

My issue is this... I put in $100 starting a new account on the 4th of June when I called to confirm my intentions. As I received money from my Lyft job I would deposit it into the gofundme. On the 7th of June I noticed money was appearing in my bank account for odd amounts from "WePay". My bank could not give me any information on the company other than the name and address. At the time I wasn't sure where the money was coming from so I would add it to my Gofundme account. Just counting my Lyft money I raised $1027. After gofundme took their cut I was due $993. I requested a deposit of $993 on June 24th so I could meet my first payment obligation to my publisher.

When I received nothing on the 2nd of the 2-5 days wait time I began to try and reach a gofundme rep so I could find out if the funds would be deposited on time. For some reason the number I used to call on the 4th of June had no physical person to take my call. My messages were gone unanswered via email until I stated that I was going to report the company for not depositing my funds. The guy said I already received the funds in payments starting on the 7th of June. That explained the mystery funds. I told the guy that I didn't request for any funds and that I put the money back in the gofundme. In other words... I put it in then sent it back. I put it in again and they now claim I am not due the funds because I was already paid and I cannot put into my account for my riders.

After going back and forth the company blocked me from my account and any contact with the company. All the while they still have the $1027 that I worked hard to save on top of everything I was pulled from the publication project for nonpayment. The guy did say the money would be returned to the donor but I yet to see anything returned. They even have a full refund if not satisfied but no response to my question to them on that either. If I can get help with getting my money back I would really appreciate it.

GoFundMe response

Hello Alisa. Our payment partner does not allow campaign organizers to donate to their own campaigns, even if the donation was given to you by someone else by cash or check. This can be seen as a cash advance in the banking world, and our payment partner always reverses transactions like this, if they make note of them.

Because of this, any donations that have not already been withdrawn, have been refunded.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I made a £15.00 donation to a cause and when I saw the receipt in my email Gofundme had taken an extra £2.25 for themselves. There's no way I authorised this. If there's something on the donation page about this they've got it there so it's very easily missable. I regard this as dishonest trading. It should be as plain as day they're doing this. I see other reviewers have had a similar experience. I've written but I don't trust a company that acts this way. I'll go to the bank to cancel and look to donate directly. This is just so wrong.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your feedback here, Graeme. We see that you were able to get in touch with our team and receive a full refund for your donation.

When making any future donations on GoFundMe, you may always choose the tip option that works best for you from the drop down menu as shown here: https://i.imgur.com/P8JVYyP.png. You may select a £0.00 tip by choosing the "Other" option.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I started a campaign for a friend and raised over a thousand dollars. I made a withdrawal to take to the family and it hasn't shown up yet. But what's the real issue is that I click on the campaign and it can't be found! So I go to my account and it says no account found! This is not acceptable! Now the family is questioning this! This money was for a cremation! What are they supposed to do? Have them hold the body! Horrible!

GoFundMe response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Tammy. We apologize for any trouble contacting our team.

Our Trust & Safety Team has recently reached out to you via email to address some complaints about your campaign. Please check your inbox for an Important Message From GoFundMe and be sure to respond to that email directly.

Please note that your campaign may temporarily be unavailable while our Trust & Safety Team reviews your account.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I used GoFundMe to donate $100 to the Justice For Junior Campaign that is running in NYC for the horrible gang slaying of a 15yo boy in the Bronx. Checked my credit card today & found a $200 charge from GoFundMe. I look into it & find they took a $100 tip. I tried to contact them & found myself obstructed by endless forms with no way to reach them. This is one of the worst scams I have ever seen. How dare this company try to rob me of $100 - 100% of my donation and escape answering for it by deliberately not having a customer support number. I haven't used this donation platform in 2 years and will never use it again. They are worse than PayPal. There was a sneaky tip option under the donation field that I was not able to turn off. I dropped it down to a "blank line" option, and somehow it still managed to record and steal an extra $100 on my card. I'm on the line with my credit card company now.

Original review: July 4, 2018

After the loss of my husband suddenly a fund was set up for my two children, I received an email saying the money needed to be withdrawn right away or it would be sent back. I have tried to withdraw the money twice and each time they have cancelled to transaction but they have not told me why and I have emailed them several times and gotten no information. I find this very frustrating when I am already dealing with so much. Very disappointing when something that was meant to help you only causes you more stress.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I raised $900 of the $940 for someone named Samantha ** because they claimed they were homeless and paid for a apartment and never got a refund. It was all a scam. Her story kept changing. We told GoFundMe on several occasions it was fraud and a scam and they refuse to honor their Guarantee and refund everyone's money. This GoFundMe was started by a lady named Patti ** in Memphis Tennessee. It was all a big scam and we have proof. We are going to file a class action suit against GoFundMe in Federal Court.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for reaching out, Robert. Our Trust & Safety team reviews all reports of fraud, and ensures that each report is taken seriously. Any proof of fraud should be provided to our Trust & Safety team when filing a claim using the GoFundMe guarentee: https://www.gofundme.com/guarantee-refund-policy.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I'm running an active campaign to save puppies in Mexico and I have raised over 3k. Since June 14, this company sends me daily emails stating that they are going to make a deposit -- but to this date they have not made one single deposit! I'm working with customer care and they are not taking this situation seriously... No sense of urgency! There is no number for me to call and all communication has been via email - I am so frustrated with the lack of communication & professionalism.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you had receiving your funds, Bobbie. We are glad to see that you've now been able to receive your withdrawals, though. Our payment processor is held to strict verification processes, which can take up to 1-2 business days to review. We appreciate your patience with us while we were able to get that all sorted out for you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

When you try to donate to a cause identified in GoFundMe, you are notified that the site has a 0% platform fee but then you are put into a loop that wants to take at least a 15% tip for enabling the donation. Say you want to donate $100, the software doesn't let you proceed without "donating" at least a 15% tip. Now you have to pay $115 to donate $100. How do you fund this? With your credit card. Now it costs you more. Why not just send a check for $100 to the cause? Or up your donation to $120 which is about what it would cost you thru GoFundMe.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your review here, Richard. You are correct that GoFundMe now offers a 0% platform fee, and is instead powered by optional tips. While the tip setting does default to include a tip, donors always have the option to opt out of a tip by selecting 'Other' as shown in the drop down menu here: https://i.imgur.com/i8G111r.png

If you ever accidentally leave a tip that you did not intend to, please contact our team at http://www.gofundme.com/contact and we can help you with a refund.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I had opened a campaign for the sister of my dear friend who recently died. What a nightmare right from the beginning. They took two separate donations from my account to go to separating families when I only made one donation to my friend. No number, no support, no answers. Website takes you in circles. Also attempted to end campaign and delete account but would not let me. Wow what they put you through in your time of grief. Nothing but headaches and runarounds. Never will I help or donate on that site again. Its shady business practices are shameless. How can you not have proper contact info when you are dealing with these types of funds. Unbelievable is all I can say!!

GoFundMe response

We're sorry for the trouble you've had with your donation and with your campaign, Michele. We'd certainly like to make sure you're only charged once for your donation.

To contact our team to help with a refund, please either reply back to your donation receipt, or visit http://www.gofundme.com/contact. Our team will then be in touch over email to ensure that you are only charged once for your donation.

Original review: June 19, 2018

First I could not get into my own account. Clicked password reset to send me an email. Nothing. Did it again. Nothing. Obviously, their system was not working. 10 times and hours later still nothing. No it didn’t go to spam. It wasn’t working. Finally I get someone who actually helps me. The only person who actually has helped me and she resets my password. Done. We start a donation page for a mother whose child was medically kidnapped by the system. They kicked her out of the hospital. They supplied her with NO paperwork. They didn’t even tell her about doctor's visits. They took her child too! We have video of this happening. We have pictures. We have 5 witnesses. We have court PPWK. We have an DCS email from the case worker. **. So I try and make a donation.

I try 4 different times and can’t. Keeps saying invalid card. My debit card in hand is valid! More fun system issues. I am finally able to make a small donation to get the donations started. The next day they cancel my donation. Okay I guess I can’t donate to a cause I created. Fine. Next we get a LARGE 3k donation! Yes! We call the Andre House who gets us in touch with a low cost attorney to take the case for 3-3500. Later that day YOU GUYS CANCEL THE DONATION FOR VERIFICATION! What the bloody hell is wrong with you people.

The donor wanted to remain anonymous. She does not want to give you HER SOCIAL SECURITY INFORMATION AND DRIVER'S LICENSE! She is livid and thank God reached out to me so we are meeting to get the donation YOU GUYS CANCELED. You are jerks! I write you guys and nothing. Then I write WePay, they do nothing but forward an email to you guys and then you do nothing. More nothing and more waiting.

Meanwhile I get a, "We need to add the donor to the page so she can get the funds directly." Great! She does not have a bank account. She is homeless. Did you guys not read anything about the page. I let them know what she does have and ask them for a solution. More nothing. Then they pass me off to someone else. Then another. More emails with them doing nothing. This is a trend. Then I get an email that you think we are committing fraud and are launching an investigation against us? What the hell is wrong with you people! We have a mother whose child has been stripped away. We are trying to help her and you guys have done absolutely NOTHING to help but HURT her. HER COURT DATE IS TODAY AND SHE HAS NO LAWYER THANKS TO YOU!!! YOU JUST RUINED A BABY AND HER WHOLE FAMILY!

We sent you all the legal documentation we have of her court date and now you want a birth certificate which I MADE CLEAR SHE WAS NOT GIVEN! I gave you the case worker, her court information. Nothing is good enough for you people. I plan on never using your site again and making sure others do not as well. This is ridiculous! 6 DAYS LATER YOU REMOVED 3K FROM OUR ACCOUNT AND HAVE BEEN REFUSING TO HELP US WITHDRAW THEN YOU CLAIM WE ARE COMMITTING FRAUD. How about you are committing fraud! Where is the money people have donated for this child? I have no words for how incompetent your organization is. It’s like you are trying to ruin these people's lives.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry to hear of the trouble you've gone through, Carrie. Our Trust & Safety Team works hard to verify that the correct person is receiving the funds. We're glad to follow up and see that you have been able to work with our team to ensure that everything is now all set. Our payment processor is held to strict transparency regulations when it comes to donors. Please have your donor contact us at http://www.gofundme.com/contact so that we may help them complete their donation successfully.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information

2010
855 Jefferson Ave, PO Box 1329
Redwood City
www.gofundme.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business