3.8/5 (628 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

GoFundMe customer service is nothing more than help links or being directed to help links, no phone service, no levels of service. There is no accountability for system glitches and they can be non-transparent in doing business as a result. Once they have your donations and data they control everything without recourse. It is a bureaucratic self-serving financial system with board members who have left companies such as Amazon, GoDaddy, Facebook and AirBNB. You are forced to have a Facebook account to upload a profile photo so they can collect your Facebook data. There can be no personal computer internet privacy when connected to the site from your browser. They partnered with a new financial transfer company and the change cost me almost $300.

They would not be upfront about why, I had to figure it out, contributions had to be returned because I gave up after 2 months of run around, closed the account. The company is now self-serving and manipulative in how they handle customers. The only offering GoFundMe gave for resolve was to remove my fundraiser's title from the site and Google search engines, obviously so people would not see a review such as this.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Organizer started the Gofundme and it’s been 8 months and we have only got a fraction of the money raised. Gofundme has no phone number and seems likely we will never get the money to help with our son's death and medical bills.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Please do not use Go Fund Me to raise funds for anyone. They do not have real people to chat with to resolve your problem. They started out good with bank transfers but now they have stopped altogether. They keep sending me an email saying it will be resolved and it has not. They do not have a phone number to call either. I think they are taking people's money and using it for themselves. So sad when you are trying to raise money for a worthy cause. RUN, RUN, RUN! Don't use them to raise money.

Original review: July 3, 2022

My son was hit by a car and a so called friend of my son's, mother, started a GoFundMe for him because he had head trauma and other issues. It raised $5917.00. When I asked her to start transferring funds she started ducking me and lying about the process. Then because he was released from the hospital early because he was doing better than expected and they wanted him to go home because we were from WV with WV Medicaid in a VA hospital so he could start his rehab they then allowed the organizer to decide and lie about me and return the funds to the doners. (We she says that's what she's king gofundme doesn't respond to my emails in regards to me filling out the beneficiary claim form.)

She was going to keep the funds herself and even changed my son's GoFundMe making her husband the beneficiary and stating it was on his behalf! Using my son's picture! GoFundMe is a joke! They do not follow up or respond, they do not look at evidence and they should have the person that the GoFundMe me is for sign something, not just leave the organizer to decide where the funds go! I won't stop until this company is shut down or sued!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I have just managed to raise $5910.00 for a friend and coworker of mine, after her daughter unexpectedly passed away. GoFundMe is holding all of the donations hostage, as they claim that they can’t “verify my identity.” They also claim that I have not responded to their 3 emails requesting me to verify my identity, even though I have responded and re-responded multiple times, even leaving my phone number and requesting a phone call. They are now telling me “Well, since we can’t verify who you are, your beneficiary cannot recover the funds.” I have now escalated this to the Fraud Center Department of the ** website. I will never ever use this fraudulent company again. Be very careful about donating through them, and do not start a fundraiser through them. You will get nowhere, as their customer service e department is likely A.I. algorithms and not real people. Run run run.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Go Fund me has refused to respond to multiple requests to end a fundraiser that violates many rules. It contains bullying, lies, details regarding a court case, false drug allegations and homophobic references. I have alerted GFM daily through their report fraud option. I left multiple phone messages. The post is beyond disturbing.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Worst experience ever. Held funds. Made an attempt to use these funds for charity of their choosing, not the intended purpose. Can't be trusted. I don't recommend to anyone. Your money is not safe with GoFundMe.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We were also trying to raise some money for Ukrainian families that came to the city. But support wrote us back, something about "...according to recent developments within the region your fundraising has been removed" and removed our fundraising. They gave no links to the law or any other documents. And didn't answer according to what developments they removed it, just complete silence. Shame organization, shame for the people who work there.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Blocked funds, missing money, buggy site. And on escalation, a very slow to respond help centre.. Funds raised, literally disappeared from the screen, into the ether - I don't know whose pockets they're lining - but it's certainly not available to the charity foundation (for the evacuation of Ukrainian refugees) that they were intended for. The level of incompetence here, is borderline criminal. AVOID.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Great aunt of deceased niece set up account to help the family. She then refused to turn over money so GoFundMe was contacted. They never answered the numerous complaints after adding on 15% fee. I will never donate under their site again!

GoFundMe response
    Thank you for your review, Pamela! We are sorry to hear you did not receive a response from our team, if you still did not hear from us, please contact us again via this form: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest

Additionally, we'd like to mention that there is a standard transaction fee of 2.9% + $0.30 per donation that allows for credit card processing and safe transfer of funds.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Advisor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information