3.0/5 (210 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I donated to a worthy cause. The Gofundme page takes you to a “tip” page—which quickly automates and adds a custom tip! Mine was 15%! Best I can tell it helps with the go fund me page platform—which is not what I was donating to. I am trying to get that portion back but no luck so far. Theft!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

They decided not to let us have funding because we are religious. They are also extremely racist against white Americans. They decide if you deserve funding based on your beliefs. Whether those beliefs are political, religious, or what not. A new funding co. Needs to be started. A lot of people are having their accounts locked, losing the money, and them refusing to give it back.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have used Gofundme for a Thanksgiving Food drive for the past 5 years. I raised over $1500 to pay for 127 meals and in the past have had little issues with GFM withdrawing the money other than I had wait 5-7 business days for GFM to release raised money. This year it has been a lot more difficult with getting GFM to release the raised money. Even though my bank account has been the same account I have transferred raised money into the past 5 years this year they required a copy of my bank statement with logo, front and back picture of my DL and still having issues getting them to release raised funds. Keep getting different error messages a day later. Then they are going to release the money in stages over a week at a time. So confusing and not very good customer service. I am done with using GFM for any future events. I am going to try another service moving forward for raising donations. I do not recommend GFM.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

My family reported a GoFundMe page set up for our loved one funeral. Asked us to submit all these documents all over email. Their decision was for other party to keep money & no contributions for funeral.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I started a Gofundme for a wild goose fledgling that was attacked by a dog. I raised over $1200 to pay for his vet bill and have had the same experience as many others here I see!! Will not let me connect a bank acct at all. Can't get past the Withdraw tab and verify email msg just keeps repeating itself! How is this even legal that you keep all this money without consequences??? Wondering now if you even refund the money at all?! Disgusting!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Gofundme will not release funds to a friend who is raising money to save his father's life in Venezuela. They are in desperate need of the money as his father is currently tubed in Venezuela due to COVID19. As we speak his father is fighting for his life and if he does not receive the money he will die. The clinic is threatening his family that if they do not receive further payment they will have to cut him off and hence he will die. Venezuela is not the U.S. By any means there is no human rights whatsoever; no money you die. Simple as that. Gofundme stop playing god and release the funds those in need. You are jeopardizing this family's wellbeing and I'm sure this is not the first one and will not be the last one. Please do something!! TICKET #**

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Early 2020 I started a campaign to raise funds for a new invention called carbon monoxide. The campaign did not work within 2 months. I closed the campaign down and tried to receive my funds I donated to myself $110. I found it through the routing number electronically you had to set up but the money was donated off of my debit card. It's been over a year trying to collect my money now from GoFundMe. I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. They stated they could not make them pay. Today it's October the 6th 2021 and I still have not received a dime. I was told they were not going to pay me. They sent me a text and "We can only pay you through an electronic means." I sent my new debit card and they contact and said, "We can't send money to that."

My bank warned me not to give them my routing numbers again because the bank had a problem with GoFundMe. My last text to GoFundMe was to send it to my cash app and I still have not heard back from GoFundMe yet. To me this is a cyber crime but I'm not the judge. Don't want no one else to get caught up in it especially if there'd be more money involved and if illegal system can't do anything to get our money back. We're just giving our money away.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

The GoFundMe website will not allow me to withdraw funds from a fully-funded campaign. I am the sole organizer on behalf of a private party. I have had an account for years and have donated and provided financial information for every donation. I deleted an old credit card on file but that should not prohibit me from withdrawing. The beneficiary is to do the withdrawal. I can't even get to that portal. There is no "team" as they say sometimes a "team member" can't withdraw. I am the sole fundraiser.

What happens is this: 1. I click the "Withdraw" button. 2. GoFundMe asks me to verify my email. No problem. 3. I click "Verify". 4. I check my email. 5. I click on the "Verify" link they email me and am immediately taken back to the fundraiser page. 6. I click on the "Withdraw" button and am asked again to verify my email. 7. Repeat ad nauseum.

There is no request for additional information, no error message, nothing. I sent a help request and while GoFundMe claims that they respond within 24 hours, I have received no response after 48 hours. I am reading dozens of reviews from people with the same experience, no response, no help at all. I am a professional fundraiser and have huge regrets for not reading the reviews before using GoFundMe. This *supposed to be* a resource for human beings in real trouble. This type of NEGLIGENT website management is not appropriate for the magnitude of the impact on someone expecting funds when they are in dire straits. It is beyond unacceptable. The many reviews of people having the same problem speaks volumes for GoFundMe's mismanagement.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

People need help, And help should not be denied because of their political views or race, religion, or whether they're a victim of medical malpractice. Am sure Gofundme started out with good intentions, Unfortunately your good reputation is being tainted by some bad decision.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Although I have used GoFundMe in the past, this last experience made me decide to never go back again under any circumstances. I pushed my financial limit and gave $500 to a fund raiser that was just getting started, with a goal of $25,000 and just a few donors totaling about $2,000 from about 5-6 people. I went back 2 days later to see how they were doing, and they were gone with no explanation whatsoever.

I contacted gofundme to solve the mystery. Although they responded, they were no help. They could not tell me what happened to the fund raiser or where my money went. They either didn't know or it was private information. I tried e-mailing the fund-raiser sponsor, as I had done once previously, and my e-mail came back as undeliverable. So I am sitting in the total dark, knowing nothing. Gofundme's response, while polite, was basically "too bad, we can't tell you anything." Do you really want to risk donating to a company like that??

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Advisor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information