2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: April 15, 2021

I just wanted to provide a positive review for the great experience I had with GFM. I was able to set up my account and spread the word quickly and easily, and received my money 6 days after I set up the page without any issues. I was worried about setting up a GFM at first because of the worrying reviews left by others, but I really think that if you check your information carefully (make sure your name matches your bank account etc.), then it will not be a problem.

I am posting this after I have received the money in my account. GFM also allowed me to update everyone that was concerned about the issue all at one time instead of having to send out multiple texts and emails. It also allowed me to be able to collect donations from strangers easily. The fee is 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction, and for all that we got from it, I think that's very fair. I highly recommend GFM if you're in a bind. Try to think about who you will spread the word to, and try to have those people continue to spread the word for you too.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Anything I had a question on or a problem with was quickly resolved by patient and knowledgeable people. The only problem I had turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part. They kindly talked me through it.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

All the bad reviews for GoFundMe are probably from the competition. They provided me with GREAT service. I raised over $11,000 and I received all the money minus the fees. I started receiving funds the very next day, and have gotten all funds donated. I would recommend.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I have currently a fundraiser and collected 4,500 for covid relief fund. Now it takes days to access the money, although I have uploaded all documents. The email sent by Gofundme was in different language (Dutch). There is no phone and email contact is without success. If you have an urgent topic I can’t recommend this website!!!

Original review: April 16, 2021

DO NOT USE, there is no safety on your donations. They are allow you to change the recipient at any time so that the money can be taken by anyone. My cousin Adam ** had a Gofundme his funeral but his evil dole dosser ex took the money after the organiser changed it. So none of the money went to the funeral and Gofundme will not refund despite it going against their guarantees.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I set up a GoFundMe page for a family friend who needed to apply for a VISA to continue working to support his young siblings. We tried setting up withdrawals and received confirmation it was successful yet no funds were released. We keep receiving notifications that withdrawals must be set up by June 5 2021 otherwise the donations get refunded. Emailed GoFundMe on support@gofundme.com only to be told in their response that I sent an email to an unmonitored inbox. What are we supposed to do when we’ve followed their instructions in the sites Help Centre and no withdrawals occur???? I will know better next time to not use GoFundMe to help someone. Unreliable and disappointing.

Original review: March 30, 2021

A friend had set-up a fundraiser for her grand daughter who needed heart surgery. After she had set it up I immediately donated $100 plus $5 service fee to kick off the fundraiser. It didn't take long for us to realize that she had a lot of difficulties with the site. Tons of her donors contacted her frustrated and told her the site was non-operational. My friend had tried and failed for several days to contact Gofundme for assistance but has always reached a deadend. When I voiced my concern as to my donation she told me that the website stated that unclaimed funds will be refunded to the donor if it has not been collected by the fundraiser within 60 days.

Fast track 1 year later I still have not received a refund on my bank account. My friend also claims that she was never able to access the account to obtain the donated fund. So I contacted Gofundme for assistance. They promptly replied to me and told me that because it has been a year since the transaction the banks would not allow them to give me my money back. Instead they suggested that I refer my friend to them so that they can assist my friend re the missing funds. It took a couple of tries for my friend to get a hold of them and once she finally got in touch and her identity had been verified, they promptly told her that the funds had been escheated to the State of Colorado.

We were shocked to find out why this happened and questioned them regarding this practice. We also reiterated their policy of the 60 day refund policy for unclaimed funds. After we pointed this out and were asking for clarification the customer service rep conveniently closed the conversation and promptly advised us that this was all they had to say about the matter and not to expect any further information from them.

This is the first time in all the years I have donated to Gofundme that this has happened to me. I campaigned for their site to a lot of my friends in need. Whilst this fundraiser wasn't successful I feel that as a consumer I was cheated of my $105 donation which my friend had badly needed for the surgery. I went to Gofundme to ask for my money back so that I could send the funds to my friend directly. Instead I am told that the State of Colorado has my money. I am very surprised why or how did the State of Colorado have the right to my money? Aren't these companies held accountable for their unfair business practices. They clearly want to mislead us into thinking that a government had taken our money just to shut down our inquiry.

Never again will I look at Gofundme in a positive light. They are simply white collar criminals hiding behind an app. After this incident they sent me a customer service rating survey and when I wrote down my dissatisfaction as a negative comment the screen had conveniently froze on me and did not allow me to finish my review. Just like the way they did to us during our service call and my friend's repeated attempt to contact them about her problems on the site. We felt that we were blocked with frozen screens and dead end links to silence us.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Really hate how there is no phone # to get in contact with someone!! You guys are terrible when it comes addressing people via email! Had an urgent matter regarding issuing refunds and no answer! I sent numerous emails regarding this because the written questions don't really help.

GoFundMe response

We apologize for the trouble, Flora. While we don't have the capabilities to offer phone support now, we are happy to assist you over email. Please reach out to us here and we'll get back to you soon: https://support.gofundme.com/hc

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I started a GoFundMe for a friends at work going thru a rough time. I have raised over 5000$ but can’t access my account. I’ve sent 3 emails now with no response. It was easy to set up and get going but now I can’t access it to give my friend the money he desperately needs.

GoFundMe response

Thanks for your review, Holly. We want to make sure we can help you with accessing your fundraiser, so please contact us through this link and one of our support agents will be happy to assist: https://support.gofundme.com/hc

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I had heard of GoFundMe here and there. When I came to a point when I really needed help I set up a fundraiser. It was fairly easy to set up and my fundraiser was successful. Here I am needing money to pay rent. Then I find out after I raised the money I needed. I'll be waiting weeks to get the money. In these times with automatic transfers that happen at a click of a button. I find it very hard to believe that a site that is set up to help people in need. Is making you wait so long to get the money we need. This company needs some competition. There are many better ways to transfer money Why can't they find a way? I wish I would have read this page before setting it up....

GoFundMe response

We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our site and service. It is never our intention to make things more difficult during an already difficult time. We do share withdrawal timelines during the fundraiser setup. The average timeline for receiving funds raised is 3-5 business days. We must follow strict guidelines and regulations and sometimes that makes for a longer processing or account verification timeline.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information