2.66/5
Based on 53 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

GoFundMe

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 7, 2017

53 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I opened a GoFundMe account, have tried 4 campaigns. The one actually received funds. I requested one payout, and gave all requested information. Well and good, I got more donations and large donations as well, next thing I know I am receiving an email telling me my account was closed for violation of terms and services. I printed out terms of service, read thru it and I had done nothing it stated as a problem.

I contacted customer happiness as they call it, I could not get a 5 minute answer as they promised, but next morning I get an email telling me their partner who processes payments cannot process my account, so it is being closed, and all donations are being refunded and campaign closed. And am told they can provide no specifics. Screams fraud and scam to me. My other campaigns still show on the site as well as my newest campaign which has yet to receive a donation. I think everyone who gets scammed by GoFundMe needs to get together and file a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I started a functioning as non profit company called One Sky Global. I'm a public figure. My followers raised over 7K for helping victims of hurricanes and natural disasters. We then paid out of our own pockets, because GoFundMe won't pay us! It has been over a month and I continually ask them why we haven't been paid. They claim they need a ''government issued ID". I keep sending this over to them (three times now) and they continue to ask for it and not pay.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Raised $450 for my dog's bladder stone removal surgery from friends and family and Go Fund Me took $40 of that. I can understand a smaller portion, to keep the site running but GOSH!!! I won't use this service again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Since March of 2017 a long-time abuser has been using Go Fund Me as a platform for psychological elder abuse of her own 82 year old mother (me). In spite of repeated requests from me and another relative that these libelous campaigns be removed - four have been launched and still exist. I believe that allowing these campaigns makes Go Fund Me complicit in the elder abuse. Go Fund Me is allowing illegal and offensive postings and providing a forum for abuse... What kind of image are they trying to project???

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have previously had a GoFundMe page and successfully raised $ 5,000.00 with it. I set up another GoFundMe page which was a ministry and actually an outpouring to the previous page. GoFundMe repeatedly sent me emails suggesting my page was reported for fraud. There has never been any fraud, never will be any fraud, and I have answered all GoFundMe concerns many times. They have disabled my link and refuse to even respond to my emails. I do NOT recommend this site for anything as we do have haters in our world and GoFundMe apparently doesn't even take the time to answer the emails of the people who legitimately try to use the site. In short, I believe GoFundMe is the fraud. DO NOT USE THIS SITE. You will regret it and be made to look bad even when practicing truth and integrity, which is something GoFundMe might want to try.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about gofundme?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Names are changed to protect privacy --- We clicked on our friend's Facebook page link to send a donation to help their family member, Johnathan. When we got to the page it showed a picture of our friend, Johnathan and his kids. We gave our donation but our credit card statement showed a different "Johnathan". When we requested a correction with a credit to our account, GoFundMe refused to issue the credit, so the money is going to a stranger. This is wrong and is illegal. They need to get their system errors corrected and stop the 'blanket' email messages refusing to work with the consumer. We will never use GoFundMe ever again and have escalated this dispute even more with our CC company. They are doing business in a fraudulent manner!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

www.GoFundMe.com became very nosy about my "Campaign" to help a friend in the ICU. They would not release all money raised unless they spoke with my friend in need who was in ICU. This is a complete SCAM and FRAUDULENT company. I demanded they send all funds over six times. They declined and said they would keep the money. #SCAM #FRAUD

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I am raising money for my dog's emergency expensive surgery (http://theladyslounge.com/nina-needs-your-help/) and raised over $600 on GoFundMe. I've only raised enough to pay the deposit but the first time I tried to withdraw money and transfer it to my bank, the transfer was cancelled a few days later, without any explanation. I emailed to inquire and was told that my bank account information was incorrect and to go back in and resubmit it. Every time I do that, I receive an error message telling me to "confirm your bank account number" and it won't let me withdraw any money. I emailed them again and have heard nothing back. My dog's surgery was Saturday and I still can't pay for it. I'm so frustrated. I recommend using PayPal or internet money transfers. GoFundMe is fun because everyone can see who donated, and how much, but it doesn't help if you can't ever actually have the money.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have had a terrible experience, I started this account to help my father with expenses that have accrued as my mother has terminal brain cancer. My mother recently passed and we would like to use the funds to help pay for the funeral. When I went to my account it said that there were people that wanted to donate and have been able to, I tried to get the money off the account to help with funeral costs. I can only get so far and then nothing. I have tried to do several that the site says to do, nothing. I think that this site just ropes people off that are grieving. How can people be so heartless?? Don't trust this site with your loved one's money.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I made a donation to my granddaughter's Go Fund Me page to assist her with her dream of working in the theater only to learn my donation partially goes to her because Go Fund Me will take a percentage. Had I known this indiscretion I would have given her the money directly. I participated in Go Fund Me to encourage others to donate. Now I've ask my daughter to take down the page and I'm calling my bank to resend the funds. Also, it should have been stated sooner rather than later about the percentage Go Fund Me steals from those who are in need! Actually, zero stars would be more appropriate!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I set up an account for a terminally ill friend who lost her home and car to the flooding in Houston caused by Harvey. I began receiving donations, and wanted to withdraw those immediately in order to send the cash to this friend, but after I filled out the required fields with my bank account information, an alert box appeared informing me that my withdrawal was under review. Six days later, I have only one email reply from a GoFundMe representative promising an answer with in two day. Two days have passed and I have heard nothing further.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We were set up an acct 14 months ago. I have been battling them 14 months. Our money was fraudulently removed. They froze out and never informed us of this. After 14 months and jumping thru every hoop and trick they offered us 528.00 of over 1600.00 if their supervisors OK it. So, in a nutshell all our friends donated and we never received one cent. How is that fair or right. I want an attorney and public exposure to their policies. They say all their donations are protected, but not for us. They let people I don't know have my money. I'm so humiliated. Buyer beware they're not what they're cracked up to be.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am an RMN raising funds for an elderly lady. I have had the most ridiculous experience. It has taken me more than 3 weeks to withdraw the funds raised for this lady... complication upon complication. Don't use them. They stall then delay and I still haven't got my lady's money!!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am highly upset, 2 of my friends donated $100 each anonymously and I saw it there and next day money was gone, I been trying to email and can’t get answers, I monitor my donations along with the emails I receive of donations and these 2 are missing, so are they stealing money from campaigns when they're anonymous? I am very upset because people work hard for their money & this issue is making me wanna take action.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I started a GoFund account when I needed a little money to keep from getting evicted. They suddenly closed my account, saying I was fraudulently getting money, which I most assuredly was not! They are attempting to take back every donation I received, overdrawing my account and as of today, not one of my contributors has received any money back. They refused to answer my emails about what happened. I think this is a scam, frankly.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I started a funding campaign for a dear friend who suffered a horrible house fire, lost everything. Fundraising went well, so my friend needed the funds. Site states one can choose between a check or bank withdrawal: wrong, only bank withdrawal. They wanted a voided check. Done. Then they wanted a bank statement (??). Done. Then they wanted 2 govt id's. (???). Done. Then they were "blurry." recent. Then they wanted the backs of id's. Done. 3 weeks later, no withdrawals. They stall, and stall and stall. Don't use this site! I sincerely believe they are scammers, to people in the middle of crisis. I don't know how they sleep at night!!! Can't communicate with them. Their 5 minute email response is a joke. No phone number. Customer service is non existent. Use a different site.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I tried setting up a campaign but halfway through I got stuck at the 5% per donation charges taken by GoFundMe.com. I found the below statement on ConsumerAffairs website regarding GoFundMe, so I believe it to be true: "GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion." This means GoFundMe receives $200,000.00 everyday in charges from campaign owners. For a business to raise over $2 billion dollars (pocketing 5% or $100 million in campaign charges) with no physical phone number and a business address of a P.O. Box this seems a bit suspicious at best.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Autocrats with no dispute/grievance procedure - My campaign was a little of nothing, really; just wanting to raise money for matters quite trivial in comparison to what's been mentioned here. My account was suddenly closed with a notice telling me that their "payment processor" couldn't process payments; and my email was immediately banned. I was further advised that I would not be given any further information. I can't abide by the idea that a payment processor, in businesses for 100+ years and so widely trusted can't transfer funds from one account to another. I am confident that GoFundMe believes I violated their TOS; and there is absolutely no way to plead my case or even to be advised of what they believe I did or intended wrong. I stand accused, and obviously guilty, of some wrongdoing as far as GoFundMe is concerned. So don't be surprised if GoFundMe just slams the door on you for one reason or another and calls it good.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I received a note from my friend who said that she was unable to donate to my campaign and when she tried to donate received the following message: "There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign into GoFundMe and check their account."

I NEVER received any sort of message and my campaign, which is providing education for underserved teens in Compton, lost countless dollars. We are already underfunded and need every single penny. There was no phone number to contact them and two hours later, I am still awaiting for a response from the technical team. I am going to every consumer site I can to let people know they are better off going with Kickstarter.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I looked over the "How it works" before I set up a campaign, and nowhere did it say there were "Requirements" of any kind to get your campaign listed with them, just set it up. Once I did so, I could not find it on their site. I waited awhile since it could take time to index, two weeks later, nothing. I contacted them, and I was told it would not be listed unless I posted a link to it on my valid Facebook page. That is something I had no intention of doing and I think GFM knows this, that's why they keep it quiet. If they can get us to sign up we may do just as did and follow through with the unreasonable demand, like it or not, since I have already gone to all the trouble. If they disclose it all at first, we may not set it up. I have little doubt that is what's behind the lack of disclosure, but it doesn't end with that.

So I shared it with explanation of FB that I didn't like it but they required it. Several weeks later... Nothing... Not listed. I contact them and I'm told they don't list until we get a certain amounts of shares (Didn't say how many). So now they are forcing me to do more of what I never wanted to do, things that they knew I wouldn't want to do so that's why they hide the fact I had to do it. Now I'm essentially forced to show that I will make them more money before they will even bother listing me?? They actually do nothing, I could have posted it all on FB page so, in effect, all they are doing is taking our money. Most people can pay through PayPal so getting payment isn't a problem. Meaning their service is almost worthless as they do no promotion, and pretty much nothing but bait/switch, and trick you into doing what they want you to do... Make them more money.

After they added the second hidden stipulation I gave up. I mean I figured if I do that, what next? No listing until I do something else I don't want to do? I have to do a thousand shares or more to get listed? What else? I'll look into a site that's a little more honest and up front about the requirements so I'll know what I'm getting into first. People that don't give full disclosure and hide things so they can mess you around and make more money from you, are people I have to wonder what other dishonest thing will they do next? No thanks, GFM.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I opened a GoFundMe page to help pay for a surgery for my Siberian Husky. She has a huge mass on her leg. I was shooting for $5000.00. It was going to cost a little over that. I reached my goal according to the website but I didn't really since they took 400.00 in fees. Most people who opens one of these pages are for serious things and because they need help with the money and people give in good faith not realizing that some of it is being wasted to pay these people. That is 400 dollars I could of used. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Klee ** started a GoFundMe account for me, Michael **. People who donated just shy of $19,000. I was homeless, I have major PTSD from being shot and beaten so bad, from what my friend/witness Daniel ** said by 9 staff member at Hoag hospital in Newport Beach that they broke my back and strapped me down in 5 point restraints for four days, denying to my family and friends that I was there and on the fourth day they took me in an ambulance to Royal mental ward is Santa Ana where they heard my side of the story and released me immediately.

Anyway Klee ** ended up MIA with half of my $19,000. I have many people who donated to me that are extremely irritated and are taking legal action against him. Nobody knows what his address is, his birthday, or even has ever met his girlfriend he had spoken of often. If you find any information please contact Rick **. Thank you.

Original review: April 4, 2017

My friend and I raised $5,250 for a young friend in need. When we reached our goal - he began the services that the money covered. When we tried to withdraw money they said we no longer had access. They have no contact number, no live chat, just email that doesn't help. We have been told twice that they will be getting back to us in 24 hours but it hasn't happened. They are scammers and probably screw a lot of people out of their rightful money. Would never use again. If you have a problem, get ready for a nightmare ride on their customer "care" email team. I'd be interested to know if they've been sued over this before.

Original review: March 20, 2017

In October 2016 I started a campaign on Go Fund Me for a neighbor that was in need of support after the death of her husband. However, when I went back to her to gather additional information for the campaign she advised me that she was not interested. I have made numerous attempts to have the one donor refunded with no success. Go fund me states on their website that you will get a response in 5 minutes... Not true!!! All I want is to refund the donor and shut down the campaign. I would not recommend this site for fund raising.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I am currently in the middle of a debacle between GoFundMe and WePay because of a donation I made, that is NOT being refunded to me since the account that the donation was made from is now CLOSED. They refuse to allow me to provide another means to receive my money, the bank CANNOT receive it since the account is closed, and WePay is not providing any assistance as well. Currently writing to the BBB. This is absurd.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

It was disturbing to see how much they take for themselves. Here we were trying to raise real money for my sister who has cancer. Then they take a huge percentage, in my opinion for not extra exposure or helping promote our cause. Therefore I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

You can share the campaign on social media. Others who are interested will click. Some may even donate. Social media helps spread the word faster. This can help others through a campaign quicker. It's easy to use. You just enter a few bits of information to sign up for a account. After, you can see if there is a campaign you are interested to support. If you decide to monetarily support a cause you can just enter your payment in a quick, fast manner. There is no fees to the consumer. There is fees to the campaigner but very few. The fees are to keep the website running for future users. Without fees, the website would not be able to help others and their causes. If you need customer support there is many ways to contact GoFundMe. You can contact by email, social media. I'm not sure but I think they might have a phone number too.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I wasn't satisfied with the amount of money they keep out of the funds. Regardless I never did share on facebook as I do not want my friends to know how bad things were. I did activate. Nothing happened. It was pretty easy to use. The uploading of photos and the ease of the filling out the information and setting it up to share. Setting up the fund was easy and I had no trouble activating, editing the information, amount of goal. I didn't know when setting the funds up that such an amount would be taken from the funds. While I appreciate the opportunity to raise funds. I just felt that they shouldn't charge a fee.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

The only way these sites truly work is if the cause is a tear jerker. The sharing and emails are simple and generic. As I recall there wasn't a campaign option for how often to share or how often to email blast. It's all fairly straightforward. Filling out the information, pleading your case and then pushing the information out there. It wasn't overwhelming. There's no negotiation on fees for tax stated nonprofit organizations. Understanding that the site needs to make money too, I wish there was a scale or a way to plea for a lower rate.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

YOU CAN link it to all social media networks to allow others to donate and spread the cause. It also shows how much you have raised towards your goal and allows you to update the current situation of the benefit. They make it too easy for anyone to create new accounts and spam social media to get others to pay for everything. It makes people ignore all posts from the app. Extremely overpriced. It makes you have to post your goal substantially higher than the actual amount needed. At least they do not make you buy a monthly membership to use the site.

gofundme expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.
    • Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.
    • Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.
    • Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.
    • Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.
    • Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.
    • Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.
    Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
    Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information