1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

197 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

GoFundMe and WePay are essentially holding my funds hostage and they continue to cancel my withdrawals despite repeated assurances by their support team that my account and bank info is set up perfectly and ready to go. 2-5 days later I get another cancelation withdrawal notification and an email requesting more of my personal information which I immediately comply with. Another 2-5 days later, after being reassured all is perfectly set up and ready to go, without fail I get another cancellation notice and another request for some piece of info that is apparently so pivotal in regards to verifying my account but yet somehow not previously requested. This cycle has repeated itself 4 times now and it's been 14 days since my first withdrawal was initiated and not a single penny has made it my way.

This fund was set up in response for my wife who was nearly killed after being hit by a truck and has a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple burst fracture vertebrae and many other injuries too long to list. Every day these funds remain in the hands of the payment processors account and not mine, my wife's health and recovery suffer. The hundreds of people that donated to us are also victims of this business model concocted by Chase/WePay to make money off the interest of kind and loving peoples donations. I expect to see a reply below from someone at GoFundMe peddling another generic response with no real solution and not one that I haven't already exhausted several times over by this point.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I've read other people's reviews too late, or I would have never signed up in the first place! What a bunch of scammers these people are! So they have you set up a campaign and accept donations first before starting the games with withdrawal delays and endless confirmations of perfectly legitimate bank info!

So if you were really that into security then verify the bank info first THEN start accepting money. Here you have a person reach out for help, have someone respond, try and withdraw the money that are often urgently needed only to discover you now are going to give them a runaround!

They could have gone with another website or even private donations if they knew what a bunch of scamming losers you were. But no, now they are stuck with you and there is not even a phone number to sort things out quickly. Disgusting. Good for me I read the reviews pretty early on, set up withdrawal as soon as possible and once they started the games I just deleted the account. Said "sorry" to the one person that donated and advised them to dispute if they do not get a refund. What a friggin' waste of time and good will this excuse of a company is!

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

After dealing with GoFundMe for almost 2 months now. I have sent all information - Bank information, tax ID from the hospital charity, everything they have asked and they have still not release the funds. It is an absolute joke as to how they operate. They have no phone number, you cannot call or talk to a human being. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This has been one of my worst experiences ever. I am 70 years old and have had no heat in my house since October 21st. The utility company turned me down for credit and my bank did too. Started a GoFundMe page and received $300 in donations. Since then the NJ Governor’s office stepped in and is helping me. I tried three times to close out the GoFundMe page but to no avail. Have emailed their Support twice. No response. Someone needs to crack down on these people.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Every phone number they have has been disconnected for customer service! Tried to donate to my friends account to help his family as he has cancer and the money went in for a tip for GoFundMe Instead... I need to dispute now with my bank and wait to give my friend's family that is desperately in need and now they have to wait...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I set up a GoFundMe campaign for my wife who had a malignant brain tumor. It raised $545.00 which was great but when I went to withdraw the money we needed I was given the runaround, then they wanted personal information like bank statements and ID. I have not provided these and they refuse to release the funds. I will be contacting the local county sheriff and county attorney. They are scammers and thieves.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Co. name is; **. We find it hard to believe that we have over 4000 hits (Twitter) and didn't have one dollar, donated to our so called GoFundMe account. GoFundMe is stating that OUR account is on review, BUT NO ONE CAN TELL US WHY OR WHAT'S THE PROBLEM. 2ND THERE NO WAY OF CONTACTING GOFUNDME TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE...???

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I started a GoFundMe for my disabled 6-year-old child. And no money was coming in and I was getting teased about it. So I put my own money up to make it look like my campaign was about to jump off. And the nerve of GoFundMe to take down my campaign. Although I had already closed it. The fact GoFundMe permanently took my site down. I know all my money better come back on my bank card.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

GoFundMe has no phone number to contact customer service. The only way to contact them is through email. They continually kept refunding donor donations to the charity fund which was set up at GoFundMe and would offer no explanation as to why. Donors kept trying to donate and kept getting their donation refunded even though they followed the rules of one donation per person and using their correct name and matching credit card information. GoFundMe even went so far as to request copies of Drivers Licenses via email before they would accept a donation, and even after receiving those copies, they STILL refunded donations without an explanation, to the point that it was impossible to donate to the charity page altogether.

After two weeks GoFundMe stopped returning email messages entirely until finally the donation page had to be removed. We still don't understand what happened, and why their business model is so poor. They should have an 800 number for customer service and they should clearly spell out the rules for donation. If in fact any rules were violated we have no idea what those rules are. They stated that they have proprietary procedures which they cannot disclose even after they received copies of private Driver's licenses and Credit card information from donors.

To this day we have no idea what the problem was. One customer service person contradicted the other customer service person in written emails. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing at GoFundMe. In the meantime, the charity page had to go to a different donation platform because there was no way to make GoFundMe work. Very poor service model and poor communication on the part of GoFundMe.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have zero luck getting a response. I have money tied up for fire victims and you guys have pushed back the release date 5 times with no reason why. The whole point of working with GoFundMe was to help those in need. Now those in need are left hanging while you keep the money. No answers. No phone number. No fun...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have collected about six thousand dollars for a flood relief fund. We are a professional organization and we have only collected money from our members. We have made the request for withdrawal in September 2018 but they have not sent the money to us. We maid several attempts, all the time we get a new date for the money but nothing happened yet. The most pitiable thing is GoFundMe program has no address or contact numbers to reach the. I don't understand how a program like this survived without any govt control. I will join with anybody to fight with this program.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I started a fund to purchase Christmas presents for my local community... The total amount is 1,165 USD and after a MONTH is impossible to get my money. It’s impossible to contact anybody, they don’t response your request. Something good became a nightmare!! I don’t understand why this company keep the money of the people in need. It’s a shame! I will write a daily review here until I get my money. Don’t trust this company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Add me to the list of disappointed GoFundMe users. I requested information about how the beneficiaries, my brother-in-law and his wife, who are not very computer literate, can withdraw money once the withdrawal portion of the account is set up. The customer service rep’s response didn't address my question. I followed up with an email repeating the request and explaining more of the situation (my in-laws lost their laptop in the Paradise fire, so what little computer savvy they have, was made more difficult). This email was met with another unrelated response.

They then put a hold on the account and asked that I add information to the campaign description (How am I related to the beneficiaries, how will the money be used, how will it be withdrawn, etc.). I emailed them an edited version of the description to get approval, and they again emailed an unrelated response. This time they told me to post an update to the campaign that I will be withdrawing the money for myself and a description of how I will get the money to the beneficiaries.

I'm supposed to click "donors and followers," which I assume means they'll get an email that I'm now receiving the funds. I don't want to withdraw the money!!! This would only be my very last option if the process is too difficult for my in-laws. Besides not looking like I'm taking their money, withdrawing it could affect my income taxes. I've sent another email responding to their request, and explaining that I don’t want to withdraw the money but just the information I initially requested, but am doubtful anything will come of it.

I understand that there are lots of scammers trying to make money, especially off of the California fires, but this is ridiculous. I even sent screenshots of the texts I had with my in-laws and my mother-in-law about the fire, including photos and that I wired them money to help them. All the texts are dated to show the sequence of events.

I wish I had just set up a dedicated bank account in their names as my attorney and I had discussed. I thought GoFundMe would make it so much easier on the donors. My in-laws really need this money and can’t get it because nobody is willing to help. I’m starting to think the responses are generated by a computer. If they still don't help me, I'll be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Up until two months ago I knew nothing about 'GoFundMe' campaigns and now I wish the site did not exist. It seems to me that anybody can start a GoFundMe campaign, begging for money for whatever they wish, using defamation and harassment, cyberstalking which does not go away when you log off directed at whomever they want, totally unchecked by 'GoFundMe only for the donations to be used for anything but what the original poster said they were to be used for.

It seems to me that this site should be renamed 'goconme' or 'goscamme'. It is a paradise for con men or women. Myself and my friends who are passionate animal rescue supporters are appalled that someone can deceive the genuine animal lovers out there by telling complete lies and smear the good character of people to elicit donations. Many people have reported this campaign but yet nothing has been done about it and he continues his evil campaign, absolute disgrace. Do not donate on this site.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Started a GoFundMe page to raise money for an 83 year old man in dire need. After 2 days they shut down the page with no explanation. Efforts to try and contact them went unresponsive but they kept the fees. Any legit company has a human contact in case you need help. Not GoFundMe. Very frustrating. Buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I notice not only those in need get lots of money and it's not only GoFundMe responsible, it's the one making the donations. Why a wealthy family that lose a member of their family should get over 500,000$? I don't get it. Everyone can lose a child or love ones and we live with it, we don't open GoFundMe. This should be only for those in NEED financially not in need emotionally. If that's the case We should GoFundMe just about everyone on the planet... GRRR.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I thought I would make a GoFundMe for donations from friends, family and whoever else willing to donate to me because I'm not able to work. I was still trying to figure GoFundMe out after making the account. I had two people I know but not personally and all of a sudden today I get a email. They have no phone number so I emailed them and messaged them but haven't heard from them. They closed my account with no reason. I'm trying to get this resolved to get my account fixed or to find out if I have to make another. How do I fix something when they don't tell me the problem?

Another problem is one email says one person will get a refund but the other person I am talking to says he has been back and forth with them because they won't refund him his money and this is wrong! Here is the no reason email. "Upon review, we have determined that we will no longer be able to process payments for your account. All pending payments have been canceled and any existing payments will be refunded to the donors. If you have any questions, contact us."

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I created a GOFUNDME account to receive donations. After submitting "required" documentation to receive funds a few agents contacted me through email alleging documents were not valid and funds "may be refunded..." No written official notice was mailed after submitted confidential personal information. GOFUNDME and WEPAY, INC are not honoring my documentation.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for my daughter's plane ticket to come home for Thanksgiving. The GoFundMe page was titled, please Help Bring My Baby home. My daughter attends UIC in Chicago and we live in South Georgia. I set up the campaign on November 17th and we were successful in raising almost all of the money. I then followed the directions and process exactly how I was directed in regards to withdrawing the funds. I tried to withdraw on November 19 and 20 and was notified on my GoFundMe page that there was a hold on my campaign and I should follow directions in the email sent to lift this hold. I have searched my email top to bottom and I never received this email. After numerous emails to the GoFundMe support I have still not received a single response. At this point I’m not sure what to do, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe account shortly after March 17th 2017 when my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My first three withdraws were accomplished with no problem whatsoever. I then began receiving emails from the GoFundMe organization to validate my credit union account information. I did everything they required by sending e-statements with my company logo and a copy of a check with my company logo. The initial response that day was that a deposit would occur within a few days and then the very next day I would receive the same recurring response that I needed to submit, not resubmit, my account information.

I have sent so many response emails to them requesting guidance to satisfy them so I could receive my withdrawals into my account but the response I have received is that they have ceased accepting donations and will not make any deposit into my account. I have learned that they use a PO box out of Redwood City California and that the local police department in Redwood City were not aware that they were doing this or where their company actually existed, but that it was not in Redwood City.

We all know that the GoFundMe organization has become quite popular with many and well-known but it is also clear to anyone who has experienced any hiccups that they are impossible to get a hold of in the forum of a live person or a personal response to your questions through email. All of their answers are pre written answers based on queued words in your email.

I am not asking for financial help for a vacation, I am asking for financial help because I have had to take extensive time off from work without pay while my wife deals with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I and my family live in Ohio but my job was moved to Washington DC which in and of itself is stressful enough as a commuter. Both my wife and myself have worked in our fields for just under 30 years and we have 3 adult children in college. This past week she suffered a stroke as well. Although prior to that she has astounded the Physicians with her tremendous strength and positive attitude and her having not experienced any pain at all for one of the most painful cancers that exist. She has been utilizing acupuncture with a focus on pressure points for pain which appear to have been quite successful.

It astounds me that this brilliant idea and concept seems to have outgrown their ability to handle their popularity and use. I do believe the GoFundMe concept is brilliant but it appears that they have outgrown themselves and really need to visit the idea of actually hiring some staff members who can address the more serious and dire circumstances that people may be using the GoFundMe campaign for.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I made a Account for 10 days and deleted it because I didn’t get help! Other people put stuff up there that is not true and make it bad for the good people that need the help, like me! Very disappointed!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I'm unable to withdraw funds to close this account without disclosing my private information including birthday and social security number. This account was for my granddaughter's Senior Ex project; it's essential to graduating high school. She's not yet 18; I'm her legal guardian and a donor. This has been a frustrating experience... Sure hope the $$ is returned soon.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I set up an account to raise funds for an NGO helping children. The fundraising campaign is a success, our target is almost reached. Now we need to withdraw the money to buy blankets for the children but the beneficiary (the NGO) is unable to finish the identification verification because the bank account is located in a different EU country. I have sent many emails but they don't respond. The money honestly raised is stuck. The timing is key here as the money will be used to buy blankets and warm clothing for the children this winter, but GoFundMe does not seem to care. I am quite shocked and disappointed by the way they treat honest people defending good causes. I will be forced to take legal action very soon and will send an article to the press/media. People need to know and I am surprised GoFundMe does not care more about reputation risks.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

As soon as I entered my nieces account info I received a message stating the deposit wouldn't go through. Due to the fact that my name was different than what's on the account. GoFundMe was set up for my niece to pay for my brother’s cremation. I contacted them. They just started over a month long of excuses. Still no money.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Holding funds from hurricane Michael victims. My home was destroyed from hurricane Michael in Panama City, FL. I have been trying to access funds for several days as I am currently homeless. The name of my campaign is Alex NEEDS our help!!! I am disabled with secondary progressive MS and in desperate need.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Today I received a transfer from the donations that were not returned. However, because GoFundMe canceled my campaign without an explanation and I cannot log into my account, I don’t know whose donations reflect the amount in my account. Also, did GoFundMe charged me a fee, even though they canceled my campaign without an explanation? There is a terrible lack of transparency and effective customer service, I honestly don’t know why. Closing campaigns without an explanation or warning makes one highly suspicious. Because there are other people’s money involved, it is also very embarrassing and worrisome. The email customer service was prompt in answering although it would take several emails just to clear up one problem. After canceled my campaign, none of my emails were answered. I am happy for the people who were successful in their campaigns. I am sad I wasn’t.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My husband needed insulin and being in the donut hole we needed a co-pay of $1,257.00. Money we just didn't have. I made a page and posted it and within 2 days had my first donation of $50. GoFundMe kept me updated constantly and would send emails offering advice on how to help promote my page. We were able to get the entire amount asked for and within 2 business days it was posted into our checking account. I know this site has helped others in need and I am very thankful for the assistance that they were able to provide! Of course, I hope I never have to make another one, but if I had to I would not hesitate or think twice about using them again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had launched a campaign to collect money in order to pay for the treatments of local ill stray cats. After four days, GoFundMe deleted both my campaign and account, sending me an email where it was stated that they couldn't disclose the reason of such action. I complained and in response they sent me the exactly same email again. I feel very frustrated and fooled around.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

GoFundMe has no way to speak with a human. They only take emails and are extremely poor in responding. If they get one complaint about the validity of your account - with no proof other someone may not like you - they will freeze your donations. I would never recommend them again. They are only in it for the percentage they take.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Yes my Sister had a GoFundMe account set up for her due to her having cancer in 2017. The money that was raised for the campaign wasn't spent for what it should have been. I provided actual documentation to GoFundMe after several emails were sent to them. I jumped thru all these hoops and did everything they asked me to do. In the end they said I didn't have a fraudulent claim. This money was used by my Sister's boyfriend for his personal use not for her medical expenses as detailed in the campaign. GoFundMe is a complete joke and should look into these campaigns before letting people set them up.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information