2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

3.6/5 (394 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: April 15, 2021

I just wanted to provide a positive review for the great experience I had with GFM. I was able to set up my account and spread the word quickly and easily, and received my money 6 days after I set up the page without any issues. I was worried about setting up a GFM at first because of the worrying reviews left by others, but I really think that if you check your information carefully (make sure your name matches your bank account etc.), then it will not be a problem.

I am posting this after I have received the money in my account. GFM also allowed me to update everyone that was concerned about the issue all at one time instead of having to send out multiple texts and emails. It also allowed me to be able to collect donations from strangers easily. The fee is 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction, and for all that we got from it, I think that's very fair. I highly recommend GFM if you're in a bind. Try to think about who you will spread the word to, and try to have those people continue to spread the word for you too.

GoFundMe response

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, Cherry. We appreciate your feedback and sharing your positive experience with us. Our team is here for you anytime. Thank you for being part of the GoFundMe community!

Original review: April 5, 2021

Anything I had a question on or a problem with was quickly resolved by patient and knowledgeable people. The only problem I had turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part. They kindly talked me through it.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your positive feedback, Ken. Our team is more than happy to help anytime.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

All the bad reviews for GoFundMe are probably from the competition. They provided me with GREAT service. I raised over $11,000 and I received all the money minus the fees. I started receiving funds the very next day, and have gotten all funds donated. I would recommend.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I donated money to a classmate with health issues. GoFundMe automatically added a 12.5% charge as a tip. I changed it to 5%. When the donation got process it reverted back to the 12.5 %. I tried contacting customer service via chat. They wanted to get my credit card # and charge me to chat. Unbelievable.

GoFundMe response

Thanks for your feedback, Erick. We are sorry that you were overcharged for your tip. Tips are completely optional, and we can certainly refund that tip of yours. Furthermore, it sounds like there was a misunderstanding, as GoFundMe would never ask our customers for their credit card numbers or charge them for live chat or email support. You can request a refund for your tip right here: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000288632

Original review: June 21, 2021

About three years ago, I was very ill and hospitalized. At that time my daughter created a GoFundMe charity for me. My charity raised around $500. I was very ill and did not view my account until several months later. My daughter tried (about 5 months after the charity was created) to get the funds from gofundme for me, but was told that if the money isn't taken out, gofundme keeps all of the money that is in the account!? As the beneficiary of the account I tried to get through all of the red tape to try to get my money, and was told the same thing - "After five months, if not claimed, that gofundme keeps all of your money".

After several months of arguing back and forth with gofundme and getting the same result, I finally gave up due to aggravation, stress and anger. Today, there is no way of talking to a human on their website, all I get are pre-written answers to my questions that have absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking. There are no phone numbers to speak with a human. After all this time it still bothers me - where did my money go? I desperately needed the money that was donated (through gofundme) on my behalf. I find this "Rule" unacceptable and I still wonder... Where did the money that my friends donated go?! I sure would like to know if this is correct or legal.

GoFundMe response

Thanks for your feedback, Susan. We'd like to inform you that GoFundMe never keeps any of the funds if they are not withdrawn. If funds are not withdrawn within 90 days after the first donation, all donations will be refunded. Donors will receive 100% of their funds back. For more information about withdrawal deadlines or your fundraiser in specific, please reach out to our team via this form: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest We'd be happy to clarify this for you!

Original review: June 5, 2021

Yesterday, I made a campaign for a book tour. I recently wrote a Christian children’s book and my dream is to have a tour and travel. The very next day GoFundMe placed my campaign on hold, meaning I would not receive any funds if I were to. It’s disappointing that a company picks and chooses who they want to support, there was not one thing wrong with my campaign. I guess I shouldn’t have wrote in the description that I was a, "** author". Then, my campaign would have not been targeted.

I looked at a few other campaigns, people posted campaigns regarding their dreams to travel or to simply surprise their wife with a trip, taking one look at their race it’s definitely clear to see who GoFundMe stands behind. I would not want a company as such representing me or to be a part of my dreams. I’m a young author and I do not have any funds, but with or without GoFundMe I will find my own way. I was never given a hand out before, why start now?

GoFundMe response

Hey Tatiana, thank you so much for sharing your GoFundMe experience! We’d like to let you know that all fundraisers are allowed on our site as long as they don’t violate any of our terms of service. You can review our terms here: https://www.gofundme.com/terms

Original review: May 29, 2021

I’m very upset right now. I’m raising money for my brother’s headstone and a few days later after I received my first 2 withdrawals in my bank account. I go into the GoFundMe account I’m all of a sudden under review and my account is on hold. I never received any emails telling me why or what’s going on. I’m trying to reach out to them through email but no response. I have no idea what’s going on. That same day I received an email saying my next withdrawal will be coming in a few days. This is crazy.

Original review: May 24, 2021

My Gofundme was cancelled for a non profit I was raising money for. It only made $285.00 so far, which $100.00 was mine yet they said I did not follow terms of service and insinuated potential fraud. I read there terms of service and did not see any problem or misuse. I attempted to call them but no phone number available and after a few days, I received an email which stated they could not disclose the reasons for termination. Horrible company that states they want to make a change and even more horrible customer service. I am still waiting on my refund and other donations I made through the platform since they deactivated my account. - Jerome

GoFundMe response

We are so sorry to hear about the trouble. Fundraisers can remain on our site as long as they are within our terms of service. We are not able to provide additional information once a fundraiser has been removed. You can find our terms of service here:https://www.gofundme.com/terms

Original review: May 13, 2021

I was excited to use this site to get money for hormone replacement therapy, only for them to send my money to someone else's bank account. When I contacted them about this, they just kept telling me to verify my bank account over and over again, (which I had done already). I have lost all my funds to someone else that has a JPMorgan account, meanwhile I have a TD Bank account. I certainly will just be using some other platform in the future when I need money assistance because this is ridiculous. They have no control over the money, which makes it impossible for them to reimburse you or refund you if something happens to your money.

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry to hear that this has been your experience, Alex. It is never our intention to make things more difficult and we always strive to provide an effortless service. We take security of funds very seriously. If funds were sent to an incorrect account we can look into this further with our payment processor. Our team is eager to investigate this situation to find a solution for you. Please write in to our chat support team here: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest

Original review: May 4, 2021

I have currently a fundraiser and collected 4,500 for covid relief fund. Now it takes days to access the money, although I have uploaded all documents. The email sent by Gofundme was in different language (Dutch). There is no phone and email contact is without success. If you have an urgent topic I can’t recommend this website!!!

GoFundMe response

We are so sorry to hear about the trouble and we appreciate your feedback, Sandesh. Our team wants nothing more than to provide an effortless experience and we are sorry to hear that was not the case here. If you still need support please reach out to us over chat for quicker assistance: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest We are happy to help anytime.

Original review: April 16, 2021

DO NOT USE, there is no safety on your donations. They are allow you to change the recipient at any time so that the money can be taken by anyone. My cousin Adam ** had a Gofundme his funeral but his evil dole dosser ex took the money after the organiser changed it. So none of the money went to the funeral and Gofundme will not refund despite it going against their guarantees.

GoFundMe response

We are so sorry to hear about your experience and the circumstances that brought you to GoFundMe. Our hearts are with you during this difficult time. Our team does a full investigation for every beneficiary claim made through our site. If a beneficiary claim was not filed, you can do that here: https://www.gofundme.com/guarantee. If you have additional questions, you can reach out to our team over chat: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I set up a GoFundMe page for a family friend who needed to apply for a VISA to continue working to support his young siblings. We tried setting up withdrawals and received confirmation it was successful yet no funds were released. We keep receiving notifications that withdrawals must be set up by June 5 2021 otherwise the donations get refunded. Emailed GoFundMe on support@gofundme.com only to be told in their response that I sent an email to an unmonitored inbox. What are we supposed to do when we’ve followed their instructions in the sites Help Centre and no withdrawals occur???? I will know better next time to not use GoFundMe to help someone. Unreliable and disappointing.

GoFundMe response

We are so very sorry to hear that this was your experience and we appreciate your feedback. If you still need support our team is happy to help. Here is a video that shares the easiest ways to get in contact with our team: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001972728-How-do-I-Contact-Support. We hope this helps in the future.

Original review: March 30, 2021

A friend had set-up a fundraiser for her grand daughter who needed heart surgery. After she had set it up I immediately donated $100 plus $5 service fee to kick off the fundraiser. It didn't take long for us to realize that she had a lot of difficulties with the site. Tons of her donors contacted her frustrated and told her the site was non-operational. My friend had tried and failed for several days to contact Gofundme for assistance but has always reached a deadend. When I voiced my concern as to my donation she told me that the website stated that unclaimed funds will be refunded to the donor if it has not been collected by the fundraiser within 60 days.

Fast track 1 year later I still have not received a refund on my bank account. My friend also claims that she was never able to access the account to obtain the donated fund. So I contacted Gofundme for assistance. They promptly replied to me and told me that because it has been a year since the transaction the banks would not allow them to give me my money back. Instead they suggested that I refer my friend to them so that they can assist my friend re the missing funds. It took a couple of tries for my friend to get a hold of them and once she finally got in touch and her identity had been verified, they promptly told her that the funds had been escheated to the State of Colorado.

We were shocked to find out why this happened and questioned them regarding this practice. We also reiterated their policy of the 60 day refund policy for unclaimed funds. After we pointed this out and were asking for clarification the customer service rep conveniently closed the conversation and promptly advised us that this was all they had to say about the matter and not to expect any further information from them.

This is the first time in all the years I have donated to Gofundme that this has happened to me. I campaigned for their site to a lot of my friends in need. Whilst this fundraiser wasn't successful I feel that as a consumer I was cheated of my $105 donation which my friend had badly needed for the surgery. I went to Gofundme to ask for my money back so that I could send the funds to my friend directly. Instead I am told that the State of Colorado has my money. I am very surprised why or how did the State of Colorado have the right to my money? Aren't these companies held accountable for their unfair business practices. They clearly want to mislead us into thinking that a government had taken our money just to shut down our inquiry.

Never again will I look at Gofundme in a positive light. They are simply white collar criminals hiding behind an app. After this incident they sent me a customer service rating survey and when I wrote down my dissatisfaction as a negative comment the screen had conveniently froze on me and did not allow me to finish my review. Just like the way they did to us during our service call and my friend's repeated attempt to contact them about her problems on the site. We felt that we were blocked with frozen screens and dead end links to silence us.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information