GoFundMe
1.26/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GoFundMe

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

77 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My daughter set one of these up for herself against my advice. A couple family members donated for a school study trip for her, the donations were only $50. I set everything up to withdraw the 45.75 which is the amount after their fees, and they repeatedly said it takes time to hit the bank account. That was October 2017 and it's now February 2018. After getting the runaround from them for months, I've given up and I just gave my daughter the $50. Read the reviews. TOTAL SCAM. First and only time using these shysters.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Tried setting up a campaign, after a multiple back and forth questions they removed it based on their incorrect assumptions. Usually I wouldn't care for this, as it's just another faceless online entity, if they didn't waste so much of my time.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

After creating a GoFundMe fundraiser for some people in need, when logged in later, although I selected to put the GoFundMe campaign on Facebook, at regular intervals, I went to the Campaign Settings page and found that everything was disabled including Donations! Also, the website does not remember me. Every time I go to it, I have to reenter my email address and password. It has stopped allowing me to enter information, so as I recall, I had to start over and reenter my information. Still, after many months the donations were at $0! I had a terrible time trying to get their Support to address the above issues and I still don't have a valid reason given for why I cannot log in with the same password I did before, after emailing them many, many, many times. Obviously, their Support people do not know much about their system and have wasted my time dealing with them.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I donated to a life-threatening need for a medical flight back to the USA to Colombia. My donation was denied no reason. Got only an email rep. Hours emailing then asked to prove how I know the family. When it's my own daughter. I was required to send proof like pictures & my ID. I am just outraged. No resolution. A life is at stake. They say a few business days to decided if they Will reverse the refund. Meanwhile my family waits for the refund that says it takes 3 to 7 business days. This company is not truly what it seems & it takes days to resolve anything. I have donated before to GoFundMe. Never questioned. No answers. Just 3 different people telling me there is nothing they can do. A life is at stake needing the funds to get our family member to a better hospital. I was told if I don't like it I can go through a different resource to get my family money. How do I do that when I have funds pending a refund. It's outrageous.

This company doesn't care. Don't use them. Be VERY careful. No customer service number and it doesn't matter if it's a life-threatening donation. It's false. Asking a tip from the donors & then taking extra cash on top of it. Just greedy and morally false to help people. I never been so stressed. They took my ID pic. I know going to have to buy credit monitoring because they have my photo ID. I wished I read the reviews. They asked me very personal information and wanted a pic proof of who I am to my family. Taking advantage of people in need. Horrible company!!! Still waiting for my refund & my family is stuck on getting a medical transport from South America to Florida. They JUST DON'T CARE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have recently used Gofundme to raise money for my Mom's funeral and after hours tonight of useless emails that have not lead me one step closer to accessing the funds. I am at my wit's end. No phone number really? Is this even a real company or is it a scam? I know there have been wonderful generous people that have given to help us and I hope they were not scammed as well. I am so upset. Does anyone have a number I can call?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about gofundme?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

What a scam organization. 3 days back and forth with B.S. emails and they still won't pay me the generous money donated by loving generous people. They also make people who donate pay a "tip" and that money goes directly to them and not extra money to the donation cause. They also take 2.9% of each donation plus 30 cents per donation. I understand they need to make their money and it is a business but they won't give the money to the people it is for and they won't return it either. Please take my word for it and dont ever donate money with them. If you want to donate message the person or organization and send a check so they will be sure to get it. What a true SCAM ORGANIZATION.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe for a friend before Christmas 2017. She experienced a fire and everything was destroyed. Now she needs the money and I can't get it out of GoFundMe. I keep on getting the runaround from rotating people who never resolve the "issue" if there actually is one. I am happy to amend this review if GoFundMe will resolve this matter and release the funds raised for Kim, who really needs it. Does anyone have any recommendations, or is this company a fraud?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I recently set up a GoFundMe page to benefit my niece, who was suddenly on the verge of homelessness with three kids. I contributed $500 for her benefit. Unfortunately, there were no other contributions after a few days and she needed the funds. I used the contact info provided on the GFM page and repeatedly asked how I could get the funds released. No answers after several days, so I sent funds to my niece outside of the GFM account. I have asked GFM again to refund the contribution minus whatever service charge might be assessed. Still no answer after several days despite repeated automated messages from GFM that someone would get back to me shortly. This is infuriating. To me, this is theft.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

For almost a year now, we have been trying to receive almost $4,000 which was given to the TLC Canine Center by trusting donors through this sleazy organization. They admit that "we qualify for protection under the GoFundMe Guarantee" as beneficiary of the campaign https://gofundme.com/2pdh9zu4, but they simply will NOT send us the funds. This company should be criminally indicted for fraud...and if you check complaints, you will find this is not an isolated incident. THEY ARE FRAUDS.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Out of options, I posted a campaign in GF in October 2017. I'm a senior combat Vietnam War vet with an 8 year old daughter and two stepdaughters. I retired a while ago but wanting to return to work. But I was living in my car for two months without money, food or assistance, nor gasoline. Forced to surrender my 8 y.o. to my adulterous wife that deserted us last year without money or assistance, we were evicted and the wife took my daughter away. Following GF each step of the way, I posted a campaign for financial help. Now 2018 and have yet to receive a penny in donations. I see many campaigns receiving thousands upon thousands of bucks toward pets, like dogs, cats, etc., I am stunned animals are being helped over a human being.

My question: is it GF that is preventing this? I don't see anywhere where I can tell if anyone has read my campaign or even attempted to contact me or donated anything. My grievance is not about folks not helping a man, I mean, I am in short, begging, and I don't complain if no one wants to lend a hand. Simply put, is the site a scam? Do some campaigns receive priority over others? Why is it nearly impossible to locate a particular campaign? There are over 50,000 veterans asking for assistance in GF; how to locate a specific campaign? Please offer advice or info if I am not completing something in GF. Perhaps my campaign is too verbose? If so, GF recommends one to list your whole story why one needs assistance. As noted, I am not only ISO personal help, but to begin a fund to help victims of 9/11, and create a special school for children.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I signed up for a GoFundMe Account. Long story short, my husbands motor blew up in his truck. I read everything as I was setting up the account, it said 2.9% plus .30 cents per donation. Come to find out they have a mandatory tip charge. It does look like it's optional. It isn't. It is for 15% and if you pay attention it is only 10%. Taking money on both ends is truly a scam!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Have a friend that has been fighting Cancer for the last few years, Last year they found a lump in her breast and she ended up having a double mastectomy. We are all in the horse community, which is a very tight communicating with everyone trying to help everyone. We did some other things to raise money and decided to do a GoFundMe page, very big mistake. We raised some money and wanted to withdraw the money to help her out with some bills. This was back in Sept. and now it is almost Christmas.

The date is constantly being pushed out and the customer service link does not work. I will never use this page again and will be an active voice on Facebook to make sure nobody uses this site for a campaign and to let those who want to donate they will just be losing their money. Very very sad when you are trying to do something to help people and people find a way to scam people out of money. Karma sucks and I would this site gets what is coming to them.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have to share that after setting up an account nothing ever happened. Never received money and don't guess I ever will. I think we should all see that except for very large donations - this company GO FUND ME is a rip off. Who even owns them? Where is their office? What kind of records are being kept? What % do they keep? Why are so many people being told they can't get their money? Once the money is donated it belongs to the person it was donated to. This is a rip off for most people from what I see.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

So GoFundMe took away all donations made for my Border Collie’s prostate cancer treatment because I mentioned I was treating with CBD Hemp oil, they reasoned this by saying said they don't condone illegal drugs? To my donors I am very sorry and appreciate that you tried to help Mica. So I did a search on GoFundMe for CBD oil and there are others using the same treatment as I was and they are not suspended/donation stolen. What are they playing at?? K9 discrimination? I am still awaiting any sort of response after numerous attempts to contact them. If they have done this to my campaign then there are a lot of sick/dying people who will be sad when they have all the funds donated stolen by them as well as they are all treating with CBD as it states on their campaigns.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We had a GoFundMe account to help my sister being so her husband has lost his job and is very ill and not giving long to live. To help pay their rent and buy food we have asked for the funds. They have accidentally put funds into a account that was closed and they have not refunded us our full amount yet. We have been fighting with them communicating continuously every day. It says they can write out a check and send that right away if you look on your contract. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now they may not have money for the rent and getting an eviction notice which I will go after GoFundMe for this. I am so upset with them right now. They are holding our funds and will not give them out. I do not recommend GoFundMe whichsoever.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I made a mistake on the amount donated, because I didnt noticed that was in DLLS instead on PESOS. I followed instructions to "refunds" that supposed to be done in 3-7 days, and it has been a nightmare not only because I still doesn't have my money back, but all the stress of the family that need the money for the hospital issues. No phone number, no "proof of payment/refund" to help the bank donor track the "refund", just informal emails with no value. Anyone knows where I can demand the company for fraud? Or any phone number for a really customer service? Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

After Hurricane Harvey, both our church and house flooded. We set separate accounts to recover. The church funds were held for over 2 months. For our house, a donor did not communicate with his spouse about his donation, his wife was able to request a refund. This caused a chain reaction. Now we are stressed trying to recover both the hurricane and the mismanagement. It is almost impossible to communicate with this organization.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I believe the concept is sound but the expectation can be flawed. There is no way to get enough exposure for a local benign cause that has no following. People turn to this for help and don't get any in most cases.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I had a site up to generate funds for a bedridden dysfunctional wife and never received a dime. So closed the site. For me it was a waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been trying for days to withdraw money and cannot get the help needed. There are countless q&a, but none leads to the help we need. My BP is running high and the money needed to help out cause for the flood victims is simply impossible to get as there is no phone support. Email responds seem elusive and escalation levels seem to have gone nowhere. Bottom line, I am really pissed, as we have kick started the campaign with $1000 of our own money and friends and family donations of $755 are nowhere to be found. Can someone please help or suggest how to make them pay up???

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

GoFundMe is an absolute SCAM! This is the email I received from GoFundMe after struggling majorly with my campaign's setup. I still haven't received a further response from them. "It has come to our attention that our payment partner will no longer be able to process payments for your account. As a result, your GoFundMe account has been removed. We will be unable to disclose any information as to why your account has been closed. Any donations made to your campaign that have not already been withdrawn have been refunded and will be returned to your donors within 5-10 business days. Thank you for your understanding."

I had a genuine cause & am struggling to make ends meet & this company has only made things more difficult. I hope they get shut down. Also taking 5% of donations is beyond a joke too! On another note: My close friend donors who informed me of their donations state they haven't received their refunds. Where did the money go? SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The whole situation with this organization started out pretty good, I was raising money for a student ambassador trip. I had tried to withdraw my funds unsuccessfully on several occasions even though my account information was all set up, what they don't tell you is that you have to separately withdraw it from WePay so I was waiting for them to deposit my funds not knowing there was another step. Long story short my funds were escheated and given to the state which can take up to 4 months to process before you can claim them.

After a brief exchange with the customer service team I was still frustrated and contacted the state. WePay customer support was utterly useless and just terrible, HOWEVER the escalated customer service team at WePay was outstanding. Teanna in particular took the time to explain everything and really tried to help the situation. They did fix the issue to my satisfaction no help to WePay. Props to Teanna and her team, they really know what customer service is.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Customer service is non-existent. Take your BP meds often, you cannot talk to a person, the last person to pick up your email does not bother to read the previous thread so you can pretty much count on having a stroke while dealing with this company. Do not recommend at all!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am running an election so my campaign donations must be quick and on time. Almost 4 weeks this company has held $2,300.00 from me and my campaign and now wants almost 500 and keeps pushing back the release date.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I opened a GoFundMe account, have tried 4 campaigns. The one actually received funds. I requested one payout, and gave all requested information. Well and good, I got more donations and large donations as well, next thing I know I am receiving an email telling me my account was closed for violation of terms and services. I printed out terms of service, read thru it and I had done nothing it stated as a problem.

I contacted customer happiness as they call it, I could not get a 5 minute answer as they promised, but next morning I get an email telling me their partner who processes payments cannot process my account, so it is being closed, and all donations are being refunded and campaign closed. And am told they can provide no specifics. Screams fraud and scam to me. My other campaigns still show on the site as well as my newest campaign which has yet to receive a donation. I think everyone who gets scammed by GoFundMe needs to get together and file a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I started a functioning as non profit company called One Sky Global. I'm a public figure. My followers raised over 7K for helping victims of hurricanes and natural disasters. We then paid out of our own pockets, because GoFundMe won't pay us! It has been over a month and I continually ask them why we haven't been paid. They claim they need a ''government issued ID". I keep sending this over to them (three times now) and they continue to ask for it and not pay.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Raised $450 for my dog's bladder stone removal surgery from friends and family and Go Fund Me took $40 of that. I can understand a smaller portion, to keep the site running but GOSH!!! I won't use this service again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Since March of 2017 a long-time abuser has been using Go Fund Me as a platform for psychological elder abuse of her own 82 year old mother (me). In spite of repeated requests from me and another relative that these libelous campaigns be removed - four have been launched and still exist. I believe that allowing these campaigns makes Go Fund Me complicit in the elder abuse. Go Fund Me is allowing illegal and offensive postings and providing a forum for abuse... What kind of image are they trying to project???

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have previously had a GoFundMe page and successfully raised $ 5,000.00 with it. I set up another GoFundMe page which was a ministry and actually an outpouring to the previous page. GoFundMe repeatedly sent me emails suggesting my page was reported for fraud. There has never been any fraud, never will be any fraud, and I have answered all GoFundMe concerns many times. They have disabled my link and refuse to even respond to my emails. I do NOT recommend this site for anything as we do have haters in our world and GoFundMe apparently doesn't even take the time to answer the emails of the people who legitimately try to use the site. In short, I believe GoFundMe is the fraud. DO NOT USE THIS SITE. You will regret it and be made to look bad even when practicing truth and integrity, which is something GoFundMe might want to try.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Names are changed to protect privacy --- We clicked on our friend's Facebook page link to send a donation to help their family member, Johnathan. When we got to the page it showed a picture of our friend, Johnathan and his kids. We gave our donation but our credit card statement showed a different "Johnathan". When we requested a correction with a credit to our account, GoFundMe refused to issue the credit, so the money is going to a stranger. This is wrong and is illegal. They need to get their system errors corrected and stop the 'blanket' email messages refusing to work with the consumer. We will never use GoFundMe ever again and have escalated this dispute even more with our CC company. They are doing business in a fraudulent manner!

gofundme expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information

www.gofundme.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use