1.81/5
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

119 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

First I could not get into my own account. Clicked password reset to send me an email. Nothing. Did it again. Nothing. Obviously, their system was not working. 10 times and hours later still nothing. No it didn’t go to spam. It wasn’t working. Finally I get someone who actually helps me. The only person who actually has helped me and she resets my password. Done. We start a donation page for a mother whose child was medically kidnapped by the system. They kicked her out of the hospital. They supplied her with NO paperwork. They didn’t even tell her about doctor's visits. They took her child too! We have video of this happening. We have pictures. We have 5 witnesses. We have court PPWK. We have an DCS email from the case worker. **. So I try and make a donation.

I try 4 different times and can’t. Keeps saying invalid card. My debit card in hand is valid! More fun system issues. I am finally able to make a small donation to get the donations started. The next day they cancel my donation. Okay I guess I can’t donate to a cause I created. Fine. Next we get a LARGE 3k donation! Yes! We call the Andre House who gets us in touch with a low cost attorney to take the case for 3-3500. Later that day YOU GUYS CANCEL THE DONATION FOR VERIFICATION! What the bloody hell is wrong with you people.

The donor wanted to remain anonymous. She does not want to give you HER SOCIAL SECURITY INFORMATION AND DRIVER'S LICENSE! She is livid and thank God reached out to me so we are meeting to get the donation YOU GUYS CANCELED. You are jerks! I write you guys and nothing. Then I write WePay, they do nothing but forward an email to you guys and then you do nothing. More nothing and more waiting.

Meanwhile I get a, "We need to add the donor to the page so she can get the funds directly." Great! She does not have a bank account. She is homeless. Did you guys not read anything about the page. I let them know what she does have and ask them for a solution. More nothing. Then they pass me off to someone else. Then another. More emails with them doing nothing. This is a trend. Then I get an email that you think we are committing fraud and are launching an investigation against us? What the hell is wrong with you people! We have a mother whose child has been stripped away. We are trying to help her and you guys have done absolutely NOTHING to help but HURT her. HER COURT DATE IS TODAY AND SHE HAS NO LAWYER THANKS TO YOU!!! YOU JUST RUINED A BABY AND HER WHOLE FAMILY!

We sent you all the legal documentation we have of her court date and now you want a birth certificate which I MADE CLEAR SHE WAS NOT GIVEN! I gave you the case worker, her court information. Nothing is good enough for you people. I plan on never using your site again and making sure others do not as well. This is ridiculous! 6 DAYS LATER YOU REMOVED 3K FROM OUR ACCOUNT AND HAVE BEEN REFUSING TO HELP US WITHDRAW THEN YOU CLAIM WE ARE COMMITTING FRAUD. How about you are committing fraud! Where is the money people have donated for this child? I have no words for how incompetent your organization is. It’s like you are trying to ruin these people's lives.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My very first campaign received at least 19 documented direct clicks on my Gofundme Link from Facebook. 0 DONATIONS. My second campaign also has 0 DONATIONS. Since I checked. I lost my car, apartment, and income. WHY are there 0 DONATIONS? Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2018

Gofundme added an auto 15% fee (called it a tip) to my donation. They did Not ask, just added it automatically. I was charged on my credit card. Had I known, I would have simply given the money directly to my friend.

GoFundMe response

We apologize for the mix up there, Ellen. We did recently move to a 0% GoFundMe platform fee for new US personal campaigns, where we are instead powered by voluntary donor tips - tipping can be adjusted in the donation process, and it certainly isn't mandatory! We'd love to refund that unintentional tip for you. Just reach out to us here and we'll be there to help: http://www.gofundme.com/contact

Original review: June 12, 2018

It would seem that this group has only the best intentions in the beginning. What could be more honorable than helping people raise funds for all sorts of needs and causes? That is all well and good, until the layers of the organization begin to reveal themselves. They claim to all legit and transparent. But, my experience says quite the opposite. GoFundMe changed their website and most of the formatting overnight, without any explanation. I spent a couple of weeks of trying to get to the bottom of why donor information was no longer available. I received all sorts of answers that they were working on it. And then no answers at all.

Finally, I was sent an email stating that because of new privacy legislation in the European Union (?), donor information is no longer available. Okay, that made no sense. Most of my donors were in the US and one person in Iceland. But why did it take weeks to get that answer? Only after berating them with repeated emails, did I get this little bit of an answer. They have no customer service number to call. And when I requested that they please call me... the answer was, "we don't call". Because of the lack of reports available... no donor list, no complete disbursement/withdrawal list. I started to become suspicious of this group's intentions. Not only do they solicit tips from donors, they are vague to donors as to where that money goes.

I'm glad this fundraising campaign was successful. But... it was not due to any assistance from GoFundMe. Also after the revamped website "appeared" without explanation, many of the functions disappeared or were no longer functional. I was told if it works on the app... use the app. This is a lousy explanation. SO, I would not recommend this site. There are so many others. Beware of any organization that will not communicate with you directly.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Within 1 day of creating a GoFundMe account and campaign (not my first), I attempt to login to see the status to find my login no longer works. I had been provided 3 emails explaining that as the payment processing company notified them that they are not able to process anything related to me, the campaign was closed AND my account was disabled completely. I sent an email direct to them, after about 10 minutes navigating their site to actually submit a question. The autoreply stated I should hear back in 20 minutes. About 15 hours later, I receive an email again saying they will not tell me why the account was disabled, or who their payment processing company is, they were informed something (I am not allowed to know).

I am still attempting to dispute the false allegations against me, that I am not even allowed to know. The time for the campaign is now over, and I will never have a chance to use the money as I was asking, as the deadline to have it has passed. I had already contacted a local news channel to see if they would air my story, they replied with a positive response, but shortly after, the account was disabled. I feel it is our right to know what has been reported to us that qualifies us to have all donations removed and our accounts disabled without notice. What company is allowed to blindly discriminate against people without any reason and without any penalty for discrimination? What law exists that allows this to ever happen?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was brutally assaulted in March of 2015 by two men. Friends and family were so supportive that a GoFundMe page was set up to help with medical bills. A former friend (whom I didn't know well) started an account which my sister had tried to get in her name so that I could receive the funds. After numerous attempts to change the account over it was never done. The alleged friend that originally started the account was sent the 2,640 dollars via a bank account in her name. GoFundMe sent me an email confirming this. The funds were never delivered to me the recipient. After filing a fraudulent use claim I was directed to file a complaint with the city police. Which I did. The police in my area were not helpful and a determination by local district attorneys deemed the case out of there jurisdiction.

I informed the fraud department of this and was told that if law enforcement was not going to get involved there was nothing more they could do for me. Also, GoFundMe informed me that the time allotted to get their reimbursement guarantee was passed. And that because my sister and the person who stole the money shared account information I am not eligible for the guarantee. The GoFundMe employees are not right. My sister had made every attempted to fix the situation and was met with the runaround. Their time constraints act as a buffer so they are not held responsible for giving the funds to another criminally minded individual.

I'm not the only victim in this case, the friends and family which donated to the fund are the true victims. I am in the process of contacting each person to inform them of the scam. This ordeal has not only wasted my time in trying to find out what happened but also added to a stress that is not needed in my life. My heart goes out to others in similar situations like mine. Thank you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My husband and I donated to a campaign on GoFundMe.com., Oct. 2017. The money was not distributed to recipient nor have we been refunded. The only way to contact company is online and all inquiries receive an inappropriate scripted response or they redirect you back to the same screen to answer the same questions over and over again. The campaign organizer, who we know, was told the account was closed due to inactivity and that the single donation made by us had been refunded. This was in Jan. 2018. Hasn't happened and as stated above we have been unsuccessful via online communications. Donation was made on our Visa card and they were unable to assist. How does one get their money back?!!?

Original review: May 13, 2018

I started a GoFundMe Account because I'm having jaw surgery and was short 1500. To make a long story short a lady from my jaw surgery group donated 250 and then 1000 from a donor who wished to remain anonymous. So for 3 days WePay and GoFundMe sent messages that the money would be in account only for me to receive a messages later in the day that the money could be deposited because the bank rejected and make sure all info was correct. So I call my bank. They say no transfer have been send to them or rejected. So I email GoFundMe again. So then they ask me how do I know the donor and I need to send links to her Facebook page. So I'm like, "Is something wrong with her donation." They say no so I send the links.

The next day I get an email from another guy stating the person I talked to yesterday is out the office and to send the links again. Like really??! If someone can donate anonymous why do I have to keep sending links? Did the person use a stolen card or something?? I'm confused? How is a platform that is supposed to help giving me such a hard time getting 1451 that my friends donated to me for surgery and braces? This is ridiculous I will be calling Fox 2 Hall of Shame if I don't get my funds this week. I'm pissed and have to cancel my appointment since I do not have the funds to pay for it. I will NEVER use GoFundMe again.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We ran a campaign last fall and GoFundMe charged us over 7% in fees. They recently abandoned this fee model... why? Well if you listen to their CEO it's pretty funny, he will tell you it's because their users have voiced they love GoFundMe but they want all the money for the cause. Well, in fact, GoFundMe has always made an absolute killing off of people's misfortune. They were profiting substantially by taking over 7% of the proceeds from all these very worthwhile and necessary causes. And the only reason they dropped the fee is because other, better competitors are taking away their market share, and these groups do NOT charge fees.

Now GoFundMe campaigns ask the person giving the donation to a cause to also give a 15% donation to them (GoFundMe). Here's how I can see this coming about, my guess... "Well we're losing market share by charging exorbitant fees and we profit off of the misfortune of others. Now we need to reduce our fees... oh, I know, why not ask for a donation for us, because 7% just wasn't enough for us, lets ask for 15%! This is friggin genius! We remove the "fee" but convince people in their default checkout settings that we expect a 15% donation to use, a FOR PROFIT COMPANY! We all deserve a massive raise for this coup... think we will pull it off? Yes, I think so, people don't understand we're making all this money off a merchant process... but we will sell it to the public that we want to remove the fee from those fundraising, and it will sounds like we care about people!"

It was genius. Give them that. That's why 2 stars instead of 1... only a superior amount of greed could have conjured up something so cunning. YouCaring is who we should have used. No fees for those fundraising and they don't ask for a 15% donation. By the way, as long as you're out there donating to FOR PROFIT companies, why not tip Walmart 15% the next time you get a cart of groceries? I love FOR PROFIT companies. I despise FOR PROFIT companies that dupe the public into thinking they are a charity and need a donation, when they are FOR PROFIT!

Original review: May 5, 2018

All the money and set up was online. Not personal and just another donation and a number. When I started a donation for a baby girl I didn't know at the time the grandmother had also started one so my site didn't collect any money just my donation. They should have noticed with the name of the baby listed, what was wrong and where the baby's family lived and all the other connections. Other than that, all the money and set up was online. Not personal. Just another donation and a number.ections.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Very private and secure and needed for so many people and causes. So easy to do for a worthwhile cause and not a lot of money needed. I think these are great websites to help out a specific person or cause. And no One need to know how much the donation was.

GoFundMe response

So glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us, Catherine! We truly do care, and we'll always be here to support you if you need anything along the way in your GoFundMe journey.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Horrible experience. GoFundMe is holding funds raised for a friend who recently lost her son. Over $36,000 was raised and she is unable to withdraw the funds. No phone number is provided, customer service does NOT respond. Directions are horrible and if you try to email them from their site, you get locked out and nothing gets through. Our next step is to call the local news stations to see if they can help. These funds were raised to cover funeral costs as well as professional therapy to help our friend and her younger son through this horrific time in their lives.

GoFundMe is holding their $36,000 in donations hostage and we have no idea how to get them released. Their directions state that they will send an email if the funds are placed on hold. NO EMAIL HAS BEEN RECEIVED WITH REGARD TO THE HOLD ON THE FUNDS. I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND using GoFundMe for any reason whatsoever. Use any other source to raise money!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My GoFundMe account was stolen by a person named David **. A review show this person may be a criminal. I could not reach gofundme persons to make a complaint and/or to stop fraud. I was unable to get into my account because of this horrid abuse. I am outraged that my identity, etc was placed with this person. Further investigation show GoFundMe has been sold. I have now filed a complaint with USDOJ. I am more than angry about this abuse of trust and to not get it STOPPED.

Original review: April 29, 2018

People must be very careful about this site! It seems to be wide open for fraud and sob stories. Do your homework - make sure the need is real and the people/family are real. If you can't verify the cause then pass it by. Any serious cause should have a background to it. Keep an eye on the site for a few days to check if others donate. Updates on the current situation is very, very important. A legit site will post updates and usually refer you to their own site for more info. Track the cause and satisfy yourself it's legit. THEN donate and still continue to monitor the site and cause. Go with your own 'gut' feeling if its real or not. There are an awful lot of crooks out here that know how to play on heartstrings that aren't real. It still a very good site and causes - just use your own common sense.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe for an Animal Shelter that was an enrolled charity on the GofundMe site. The funds were to go for the surgery of a kitten that could not walk. The charity received the funds from the January 2018 donations but they have not received the Feb, Mar or April funds donated. There is no phone number to contact them and I keep being sent back to FAQ that does not help. I want to know what has happened to the funds. The website also says they keep .30 a transaction and 7.9% of the funds, but the 1 check the charity did receive had more than 18% taken out of it.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Where do I start, this has been nothing but a hassle! I did everything it asked to designate a beneficiary but it won't verify them. Now I have two accounts with money and I can't get it! My very close brother died and this has added to the pain, anguish and misery! I don't even get a response from them now. The response that I did get was so basic and uncaring I could never recommend this site to anyone. My family and I just wants to bury my brother properly, and we hope that the donor will get their money back!

Original review: April 24, 2018

When we set up our GoFundMe campaign we had questions on how to proceed. We contacted your Customer Happiness Team and we were very pleased with the answers to our questions and timely response. We would like to thank you for your commitment and guidance in helping others to have a successful campaign.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I was uncertain whether my idea for a campaign would be a good fit with GoFundMe. I sent my questions and within 30 mins Kaity emailed, encouraging me to launch my campaign and gave detailed recommendations on how to create a successful campaign. She followed up with additional links on how best to proceed. I greatly appreciate her timely response and completeness of her answers. Great customer service from their Happiness Team.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My brother posted a GoFundMe page back in Dec 2017 when he was struggling and homeless. My brother suddenly passed away in Jan 2018 of a heart attack and I have contacted the help center two times to let them know that my brother is deceased and I have a death certificate and that I want them to remove his GoFundMe page. It is so tragic to lose a sibling and then to have this reminder on GoFundMe. Why won't they take it down? Do they want any residual money that comes in? This is horrible and this company should have a phone number so that I can actually speak to a person instead of trying to get around their email support center that doesn't even let you put in your own question!

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry to hear of your loss, Christina. We are glad to see that you were now able to successfully get in touch with our team and remove your brother's campaign.

We currently offer full customer support through email only, so we can continue serving thousands of users daily, and keep detailed records of all conversations. While we do not have a phone number, our team is available to help 24/7 at https://www.gofundme.com/contact.

Original review: April 16, 2018

A family friend set up the campaign for my two autistic sons when their Dad died suddenly in June 2015. It’s been almost 3 years and my older son is now 18. He asked if he could get the money that was raised for him. The campaign organizer told us that all the money was turned over to their UNCLE. He said that he knows nothing about it. I’ve contact GoFundMe three times now. Today I received a reply but no info on what will happen. There just has to be a better way to help people who are victims of fraud. I may contact the local news station to see if they will cover this. I’m frustrated and disappointed in people.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I created a project called 'Monk on a Bike' about two years ago, inspired to do so by a personal cancer scare. I am originally from Washington, D.C., but have been living in Japan for about 15 years, and became a Zen monk eight years ago at a temple near Tokyo. I approached GoFundMe for assistance in creating and promoting the 'Monk on a Bike' charity campaign, a 3100-mile solo bicycle ride from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. in support of 'The Children's Hospital Foundation'.

From the very beginning the GoFundMe staff were attentive, helpful, and put forward relevant and constructive ideas on how the project might take a more appealing, more 'donation-ready' form. All the GoFundME representatives showed the ability to strike a blend of professionalism and intimacy with 'Monk on a Bike' that was both encouraging and efficacious.

I would like to mention one representative in particular. Kas was the first to respond to me when I approached GoFundMe, and finally committed herself exclusively to the 'Monk on a Bike' project, encouraging and advising me when I felt like giving up, and offering abundant, sound advice without which the whole thing would never have reached the point it's at now. I fly to San Francisco on April 25th, and will set off across the Golden Gate Bridge on May 1st, bound for the U.S. Capitol Reflecting Pool. GoFundMe have assured me that they will be with me every mile and l believe them! I would recommend GoFundMe to anyone thinking of starting a fundraising campaign!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have set up a GoFundMe page to raise vital funds to raise money for treatment for my dying dad. It is now saying I need to set up withdrawals by the 25th April before it freezes my account and sends all the money back. Whenever I upload the images it asks for all I get is a screen that states verifying. Nothing happens! I can’t get a reply from anyone. I can’t contact anyone, it’s just awful.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I decided to donate the Humboldt Broncos. My total amount was to be $100 but was surprised by the tip request of 15%. I ended with $87 for donation and $13.50 for a 'tip'. After consideration, I thought 15% was too high a fee and contacted customer service requesting that the tip, since it was voluntary, be transferred to the Broncos Team. In a very quick reply with a friendly note, Jared in customer service advised he could not redirect the $13.50, but would refund that amount. I donated an additional $25 and this time added the 15% because I understand your company requires revenue to operate.

In summary, I was concerned about the high tip amount with my initial contribution. After review, I realized that there is cost for processing the donations. Covering your cost of operation is a difficult subject when dealing with donations. A percentage amount does not seem appropriate with electronic transfers as the cost of processing is the same regardless of amount.

A second point is that your costs exists whether people decide to tip or not. Perhaps you could determine and publish a fixed administrative amount for all levels of donation. This processing fee would automatically be added to the donation. I initially was going to suggest a sliding scale fee but that may discourage a larger donation. Thanks again for your excellent customer service and I hope these comments are constructive.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Some of my co-workers set up a GoFundMe for my family as a surprise. I used the app on my phone to do everything, and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was (and of course it's great to not have to sit down at a computer). Even connecting my bank was simple. It did take 4 days for the money to transfer to my bank, which is normal for other bank transfers I've done elsewhere, but it would still be nice to have a way to get money more quickly. Overall a delightful experience!

Original review: April 10, 2018 When my little dog needed surgery for removable of 3 growths and received estimated cost, I realized I couldn't afford the surgery! A friend told me of GoFundMe and I created an account. In no time I found how many caring, loving friends we had! In less than one month I had gone $50 over my goal (the cost of surgery)! Whenever I had a question, someone from GoFundMe was there 24/7 with an answer within 30 min. max. It was amazing how caring and concerned they are!!

Bridgette and I can't thank our friends, and GoFundMe enough! By the way, all 3 growths were benign, thank God! Two weeks later now, Bridgette will have the surgical staples removed tomorrow (4/10/18).

Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife and I suffered the loss of our horse barn due to fire in 2017, along with barn we lost two family pets, all of our tools, horse tack etc. Afterwards a friend of ours started a GoFundMe account and through generous donations had raised over $6000 which was going to be used as a down payment on a new barn, of course we didn’t realize that GoFundMe was going to take a nice chunk of the donation money! I assumed and so did everyone that helped us that sure GoFundMe would take a fee, but I didn’t think it would be a 1/3 of what was taken in. We ended up with $4400 out of the $6000 after the GoFundMe fees and I really feel sorry for the people that really need the money more than GoFundMe does. So just to let everyone know GoFundMe is a business and not there to do nice things for people. It’s profiting off of people’s misery.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry to hear this, Marvin. We try to be as transparent as possible with applied fees, by displaying them for all users on our sign up screen as well as on our site here: https://www.gofundme.com/pricing. We used to apply a 5% GoFundMe platform fee, but we've switched to a 0% fee for new Personal campaigns in a few countries including the US (payment processing fees still apply). We're now powered by voluntary donor tips to keep serving all who need us. We appreciate your understanding.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Spent weeks setting up a GoFundMe Campaign here in Ottawa Canada. Have cancer. Very sick. Got all kinds of Positive Emails from them only in the end to receive an email from their Pay Department WePay...that they are not going to send my $110.00 for no specific reason at all. Not a King's Ransom...maybe a technical problem...not sure. Basically they havent responded to my query yet? The only problem I can figure out is that their Bank Forms in the USA are different than here in Canada. Maybe this is the issue? Why wouldnt WePay say this in their email to me? Give GoFundMe a few days to see if this matter can be resolved or not before I jump ship with them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 7, 2018

We reviewed GoFundMe process before starting a fundraiser for a nonprofit school that lost its playground during a windstorm. It advertises that it is "no platform fees" whatever that means, and then mentions a 2.9% charge on funds raised. We proceeded to create a GoFundMe for the playground. We received $4600, $3500 came from a brother and sister of the one who started the campaign. After raising $4650, we clicked on "Withdraw" hoping to get the funds and purchase the playground so that students would have a pleasant surprise after their Easter break. Instead, we learn we are compelled to open a PayPal Account.

We do this and learn that only $4200 has transferred. What happened to the $420? GoFundMe has taken almost 10 percent! This has angered the brother and sister who could have directly written their checks to the other sister. In addition, GoFundMe wants the funds withdrawn within 30 days, but here is the catch, PayPal will NOT release the funds but once a month. Save yourself trouble and do NOT use GoFundMe. PayPal has a charity set up that at least they take ZERO funds. The entire amount raised goes DIRECTLY into your account. You just have to wait for that one day a month they will release it.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry to hear about the playground, Kathleen. When it comes to certified charity campaigns, we do try to make sure the fees and withdrawal process are as transparent as possible. Before any certified charity campaign goes live, we do provide a message to the campaign organizer clarifying the withdrawal process and fees as shown here: https://imgur.com/a/NeWHL. You can also review more on our certified charity campaign process in our Help Center here: https://bit.ly/2dDVnIe.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe for getting the PC of my dreams for streaming. I had gotten a very generous donation from someone of $1500. I was so shocked and happy and was getting ready to withdraw until you guys completely shut down my account and wouldn't tell me why. I want my account back. I worked hard on my account's story. I don't know if I got reported by someone for some reason thinking I was fake but now I'm pissed. Please reply to this so we can fix it. :)

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your review, Chrislyn. As our team shared with you, in order for campaigns to remain live or able to receive further donations, they need to be in compliance with our terms here: http://www.gofundme.com/terms. Our payment processor is unable to continue processing payments for your campaign, so any received funds not already withdrawn were refunded, and your campaign has been closed. We appreciate your understanding as we keep GoFundMe the safest place to give.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Everything was going fine with my campaign and was receiving withdrawals. And then up until a couple of days ago donations were being refunded. Why say people can raise money for businesses if all that ends up happening is that they can't receive the donations. GoFundMe is a scam and a fraud.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your review, Quintessa. In order for campaigns to remain live or able to receive further donations, they need to be in compliance with our terms here: http://www.gofundme.com/terms. Our payment processor is unable to continue processing payments for your campaign, so any received funds not already withdrawn were refunded, and your campaign has been closed. We appreciate your understanding as we keep GoFundMe the safest place to give.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information