2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: July 6, 2020

When you donate to a cause it asks you if you want your donation to be anonymous. But in reality Gofundme sends the recipient your name. They also will not allow you to make more than one donation to a cause. If you do not want this type of experience, stay away from their organization!!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I set up a GoFundMe to help save a piece of land owned by a non-profit organization. We had the needed money within 5 days, but GoFundMe (and their Adyen) refuse to accept all my documentation. They keep denying bank documents and there's not even someone you can talk to by phone. It's a customer service response you can make, but this person can only help you upload documents. It's extremely frustrating as it feels like a ploy for them to make money but not actually help a cause. As I read these reviews, everyone seems to have the exact same problem.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Heard of GoFundMe, the 'easy' way to launch a ‘free’ fundraiser? I launched a GoFundMe campaign on 4/24/20 to aid my tiny business which has been ravaged by COVID-19. I needed the donations fast. As of today, I still haven’t received them. The GoFundMe website appears to be intentionally designed with an unnecessarily complicated, cumbersome and randomly changing ‘Withdrawals’ set-up and ‘Verification’ process – along with an assortment of web ‘glitches’ – that prevent campaigns from actually receiving the funds they have raised.

Their processes and lack of service basically amount to bogus stalling tactics to avoid paying out funds. They are taking advantage of many people. Their business model is nothing more than a scam to wear people out because they don’t have the time to follow GoFundMe’s copious rules so that GoFundMe can either avoid paying them their funds altogether, or so they can earn interest off others’ money by holding it way beyond a reasonable timeframe.

If you read other complaints, they echo my story. Users must endlessly provide ‘verification’ information and are promised payout dates that come and go without payment or resolution, no matter how much ‘verification’ is provided. There is no human customer service or phone number. I tried using their online chat and even that didn’t work! If you contact Support, their response time will be leisurely, despite your urgent need for the funds you’ve raised.

My campaign started 4/24/20 to aid my tiny business, which is failing due to COVID-19. GoFundMe requires you to enter banking and other information for ‘Withdrawals,’ which seems easy enough. But that’s where the nightmare begins. I entered my business bank account for the funds transfer and was given a payout date of May 21, which passed without any payout. GoFundMe never emailed or contacted me for additional ‘verification’ information. When I asked Support ‘Where’s my money?’ I got a reply (a WEEK later) that since it’s a business account, I may be required to provide a bunch of ‘verification’ information. The GoFundMe ‘Customer Happiness’ support person suggested that I enter my personal (not business) bank info which would make it easier.

I took her advice and tried to edit my banking information, but the website wouldn’t allow me to change it! I ask Support why the site doesn’t work. Support says they’ve ‘cleared my account’ so that I can now enter my personal bank account info. She states that I 'might' be prompted to upload an ID. I replace my business bank info with my personal bank info (as suggested by GoFundMe Support). I’m not asked for my ID. I’m given a new payout of June 4, which pisses me off, but everything looks like it’s good to go.

Nope. The June 4 payout date passes AGAIN with no payout – or explanation. The payout date is now pushed to June 11. I discover this on 6/16 when I log in. Not only did I NOT receive my funding, but now the ‘Withdrawal’ banking information I entered prior has DISAPPEARED as if I never entered it! Another web ‘glitch’? I re-enter my banking info, with a new twist: this time I’m forced to enter a campaign ‘beneficiary’ to complete the set-up. Why wasn’t this step required the first two times I entered my info? Another web ‘glitch’?

Next, I must contend with a seemingly circular and endless barrage of issues, including messages that I have not ‘finished identification verification’ even though they haven’t asked me for any thus far. Then I get an email stating that "We are unable to initiate your withdrawal because the information you provided could not be verified." I have to log in again, and the next hoop I must jump through requires me to upload a bank statement, which I do, even though a bank statement is not stated as a standard requirement for a personal account. And frankly, my bank statements are none of their damn business. And if GoFundMe needs so much ‘verification,’ why is the first time they’ve asked for it? They claim that they send ‘Verification Emails’ to alert users, but I did not receive any – which I can verify because I checked spam folders and possible email blocks.

Today: After nearly two months of jumping through hoops to receive a small amount of funding that is MINE – and which I needed two months ago – GoFundMe shows that my NEW payout date (the 4th one they’ve given) is June 24th. Hmmm… what are the odds I’ll get my funds that day? I will never use GoFundMe again and I strongly advise everyone to stay away from this organization and their bogus 'easy' platform that gives you the endless run-around to avoid giving you your funds and has absolutely no customer service other than lame ‘Customer Happiness’ reps whose advice will not help you at all.

GoFundMe's fake ‘socially conscious’ brand persona is nauseating. After being forced to deal with their intentionally convoluted, confusing and overly complicated system, it’s clear that any online money collection and processing organization could have developed an easy-to-use site that helps, not hinders, its customers. Need to raise funds? Don't use GoFundMe unless you want to raise funds for THEM.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I set up a GoFundMe account for my Mother-in-law, when my Father-in-law passed away from Covid-19. We have been waiting 3 weeks for her to get her money. They made one small deposit but say the other ones were already sent. It isn't a lot of money but it is what she needs. She was financially dependent on her husband and now is in a very bad position. The little money that was raised was to help her with expenses. Now all the money that was donated to her is missing. This is horrible service. We can't get ahold of anyone to speak with at GoFundMe. I thought I was helping her in her time of need. Now this is causing a lot more stress.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Chatted with agent at GoFundMe. Transfer of money to bank not finalized after 2 months. Agent very hard with ID info but my ID from government. Am getting fed up. Is it because of Covid 19? Need help or suggestions.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I created a Go Fund Me for dying friend. To help with further treatment. Everything was going well but once I requested withdrawal everything just came to a pause. They have now blocked my campaign and I've been waiting since April 21st for the money. It isn't a large amount, but individuals donated for a cause and that money should reach its rightful owner. My friend has now died unfortunately and I was hoping to help her mom with this money for her final rites, but looks like that won't be happening either. Furthermore the customer service is completely absent.

There is no phone number to reach and the email I sent out 2 weeks ago said that they will look into it but to refrain from sending further communications because it will only delay the process. Pretty sad... They make it seem like they are doing this for a good cause but only causing higher stress levels than needed. Lesson learnt! Never again!

Original review: April 28, 2020

I reported a fraudulent campaign several times, even giving a phone number at a hospital for them to verify. Inexcusable that they did nothing and allowed gullible people to continue to donate to a con artist.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I create a fundraising for my debts, in the first 3 hours I’ve got 500 euro donation and one hour later GoFundMe took my account down and I couldn’t withdraw the money. I contacted the customer service 4 times and it has been 4 days since and no answer, nothing. I’m wondering how will I ever get this money.

Original review: April 27, 2020

NO matter how much you provide and how much or little you raise the withdrawal to your account will not happen. Providing all the bills, lease, business reg, bank info and certifications yet still they want to phish people govt ID and even or those who gave them DL, passport and all still they are awaiting money over 2 yrs. AND, they expect us to provide government ID which in Canada it is illegal, it's even written on the ID and passport: NOT to be used as ID, property of Canadian government. The privacy act is clear on that, and keeping the money hostage in return for govt ID is a federal offense here, yet they still do business here and impose these rules. I have reported them to RCMP fraud dept. They know about them, not the first person to be scammed by them.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I started a GoFundMe campaign and couldn't withdraw my funds. I asked for donors to be refunded and was told they would be refunded in full, but the 2.9% that they charge was deducted even though the campaign was shut down. They also make you find your own donors and charge you for it. It's best to start a Facebook page, bank account and get direct donations instead of using their platform.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information