3.03/5

214 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

My cat had an emergency operation on the 11th June, I raised £315 within a day because my friends helped me out a lot! During the day I could keep everyone updated. Then the next day on the 12th, my cat got discharged. I later found out that I couldn’t withdraw all of the money, it said “daily”. I could only with draw £28 each day, like wtf. I thought if I raised enough money it would help with the cost. Now vets don’t do pay plans, they need the money there and then or else I would be in debt! Now luckily my bf had a credit card and paid £350! That’s a lot of money. But he’s now in debt, all thanks to GoFundMe. If you’re in a rush and you need the money there and then, please don’t go to them. PayPal works better.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I accidentally donated to a fake campaign for a little girl that got hit in the head with a bottle. I am very upset that my donation went to a scammer instead of a little girl in need. Having some suspicions, I verified with the family of the legit campaign that someone has been running a scam using little Karla's name. The fake campaign is here: https://www.gofundme.com/ZosayasFamily. The real one is here: https://www.gofundme.com/zosayas-family. The fake campaign had been reported several time to GFM and local news agencies and yet it was still left up. I have requested a refund but no one has gotten back to me...I want to make this right and send the donation to the proper family but so far GFM has been no help at all. It is very upsetting to want to help someone out and instead get played by scammers.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

They pretend to be free and help fast. Which is not the case. Everybody who wants to donate must look carefully not to give GoFundMe relevant sums. And it is not easy at all. I cried many tears because my campaign did not get donations. If it is for family and friends only I do not need GoFundMe, they can give it to me directly! Senseless bulls. I feel ridiculous having put out my personal story and no one wanted to help. So I cried day after day and the customer service got from gentle to horrible and was humiliating me! There are so many campaigns no one ever sees, only the successful are on top faking the success of the platform. This may concern European campaigns, maybe in America it's more accepted. In Europe it is so bad and sad. They do false promises and are a sort of fraud. Do not trust them.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I made a $200 donation to a legitimate request by people I know, but was never "asked" for a donation. However right after my donation went online, I received another charge for $30. I would have sent the money directly to the people, rather than in this manner.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have had a GoFundMe for an accident my sister was in over a month ago. She was and is currently in the hospital. The funds raised are not being transferred into my account. They keep putting a hold on it. Customer service sends messages saying there are continued delays with no valid explanation - just that this is customary. It has now been over 2 weeks since I requested funds. They are still accepting them but not giving releasing them to us. It is my name and my sister's name on the account. This is frustrating as it is taking so much time and unacceptable business practice. There are no live operators. There is no help other than computerized responses. I will never send money through nor set up another GoFundMe again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: May 1, 2019

Someone on GoFundMe charged my credit card twice, once for $100 and the other for $10 without my permission or knowledge. Can't reach a live person to address this so have to wait for them to get around to emailing me. I only ever donated one time to a cause on GoFundMe and I will NEVER donate on GoFundMe again!

Original review: April 24, 2019

On April 4, 2019, I sponsored a GoFUndMe campaign for my friend, Marianne. Nothing but trouble has followed. Four donations were made and then the campaign was shut down because the beneficiary does not live in the USA. I was questioned how I would send her the money and suggested bank wire or Western Union. We were promised that all money donated would be reimbursed to the donors. Ten days later, this has not happened. I switched the bank to the beneficiary's home address. It was accepted. Three days later it was declined. By then $165 had been contributed to her cause. Actually over $200 because the initial donations of $80 disappeared. It appears as if my emails are robot responses. I've attempted to withdraw and safe keep the monies already contributed and don't know where they are. This company is misleading and I am prepared to seek legal counsel.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Our HMAC Addiction Charity has had a very poor experience with GoFundMe. We were 9 months into our campaign when they suddenly demanded additional information, which we IMMEDIATELY provided on the withdrawal of funds - which we had done numerous times. Even after this was done, they all of a sudden BLOCKED donors from contributing! We could NEVER EVER get any help-kept getting bounced around from one generic email to another for over one week.

We decided to PUNT today... Nobody has to put up with poor service, especially when we are doing this on the side (after work hours) to help addicts get scholarships to save their LIFE and their families' sanity! This is my honest opinion based upon the experience we had - no harm intended. Trying to reach Messrs ** as I write this.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My girlfriend started a campaign a while ago for a friend of her living in the Philippines and dying of cancer: OneMoreDayForJo. All together we have raised around €700 for her friend and her family. Because her friend is living in the Philippines - a country not supported by GoFundMe - my girlfriend asked to transfer the money onto her account. She sent her bank details and it was agreed the fund will be transferred on her bank account. So far quite simple right? Well, wait. The GoFundMe agent apparently mixed up numbers and sent the money to someone else. Annoying he? But you would think GoFundMe will do its best to regulate the situation ASAP.

Well, you're wrong. It has been now more than 3 months and if we did not follow-up regularly we would have never heard of GoFundMe again. Despite the fact that it is GoFundMe agent who completely screwed this up, it seems that GoFundMe do not feel accountable for that. In our last exchange we have been told that if the mysterious person who received the money do not react, then we have then lost our money. A bit harsh if you consider the fact that the campaign was done by the rules. Our friend is deceased now, and her family hasn't received a cent while this money is meant to cover the hospital costs. Despite the fact that GoFundMe made the mistake, none of the donators will be reimbursed.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My first recommendation would now be to always always check reviews first. I have had similar issues with GoFundMe as all of these 1-star reviews. Suspended without much communication, always passed through hoops, issue never fully resolved, no contact information (they can only contact you), no answers, and worst of all - No money refunded to donors and frozen out of withdrawals so donations are unobtainable for unknown amount of time. Really bad customer service. They can just stop responding, and eventually, according to what I've read, that's exactly what inevitably happens. I wish I never used this platform and will warn others to avoid GoFundMe.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I spent weeks planning fundraising for cancer treatment for my wife. The night I asked all my friends and families to share on Facebook, my post was marked as spam and my link to my GoFundMe is banned from ANYPLACE on Facebook, messages, posts, banned everywhere. I followed all advice on GoFundMe's website about sharing on Facebook. Now my wife's cancer campaign is DEAD. Really, GoFundMe should post a warning about how horrendous Facebook is rather than egging me on to share it on Facebook like it will help us. A big kick in the face when we are already suffering, made me cry today for the first time since my wife was diagnosed. I have no idea if I'll be able to withdraw what we got before Facebook destroyed it, I sure hope so, I'm broken already from dealing with corporate greed and red tape on top of the doctors, hospitals, banks, and cancer. What a world.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Well let me just say that something that was started out of pure love for a family has turned into a nightmare! I started a campaign for a little boy that I love dearly that was burned. They requested so many things before any funds were really released. I sent everything that was requested and then something else would be needed. Each time I updated the Mother of the little boy. Now since there was so much runaround from GoFundMe this family HATES me and is livid with me thinking I am lying to them and taking their money!

My heart is broken because they do mean a lot to me and now GoFundMe has made me look bad!!!!! I will never ever set up a fundraiser on there again! I even emailed them and told them to delete me from their records, block my email, do anything they can to ensure I never get the bright idea to try this again! I am giving the Mother the remaining donations that I FINALLY received today and honestly I'll be lucky if she doesn't punch me! So ridiculous that I have to now be scared when I was trying to help!!! Thanks GoFundMe for giving me a stroke or a coronary from the nightmare you put me in!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

They rejected a $1,000 donation from someone I know to my campaign for no reason they could give, except their agent WePay (Chase) refused it. A few months later I could not log in to my account and their web interface did not allow me to reset my password. I tried 4 times with no success. Hence, I was unable to donate to a person severely in need. Pathetic excuse for a company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

After researching the site to make sure that what I was going to ask for would be alright, I created a GoFundMe to help in regards to a tax situation I have. I raised a little over $1000 and I was told via email that I would get the money Feb. 12. Then I received another message telling me I would get the money February 15. Then I received another message telling me I would get the money February 23.

When I sent them a message to ask why I was not receiving the money, they told me that my GoFundMe was being looked at and I needed to provide a driver's license which I did, And a copy of my name change. Within 24 hours I again was notified that it was refused with no explanation, they said they were not allowed to tell me why I cannot receive the money raised, and that the people who donated would get their money back. I have sent letters to their legal department as well as customer service, and I have tried to send a message to their CEO. They will not respond now to anything that I send them, and I just hope that the people who donated really do get their money back. I have told them to be on the lookout to make sure they get it back.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I wouldn't use GoFundMe again. It was an elaborate procedure trying to withdraw the funds I raised. Even after signing up for withdrawals, the funds weren't released to me. GoFundMe said that they couldn't verify my identity and made me scan and send copies of my passport and drivers license. To date I still haven't received the funds I raised. I'm going to be doing fundraising in an ongoing manner and will look for a platform that is user friendly and less invasive. If they hang me up in red tape for too much longer, the donations will revert back to the donors and my work will be in vain.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I am disappointed with this fundraiser. I have been sent numerous emails concerning my donations/funds. I have not received a single penny rather I receive email after email. I have submitted all requirements time after time and every single time I submit all requirements the funds are moved to another date. I opened an account on December 20th of 2018 to help me raise funds for an education in hopes of learning a new and quick skill that can help me defeat homelessness. I am living in a shelter and the harder I try the harder my situation gets. My email was verified and my first donation was December 22nd 2018. I have received numerous donations since opening my campaign.

On January 22nd I receive an email that further action was required so I set up to receive a paper check. I was so happy and waited for mail to come in... Nothing! On Feb 5th again. Another email stating that withdrawal method has been set. I decided to literally open a bank account so as to have a safer way to receive funds. Again I receive another email informing me that my funds will be sent to deposit account... HOLD UP... I thought there was still a paper check on the way!!! I go to their help window. I submit my concern only to get more suggestions. Helpless at this point. Feb 19th. Another email. Withdrawal action needed!

I completed withdrawal action. My bank account has been verified with WePay... Each time I open withdrawal to make sure my information is still correct my estimated arrival date of funds is moved up... Now my estimated date is MARCH 1st! Someone is making money off this scam... I have not received anything within the promised 2-5 days!!! I suggest that you do not use GOFUNDME!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have made donations through AMEX which the card has assured are approved. GoFundMe for some reason continually comes up with reasons top reverse donations based on a criteria not consistent with AMEX policy. I can only assume it's fee relate, however they will not be honest... Additionally they have no means of communication other than email. I suggest that we need other more honest services for these important occasions...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

GoFundMe and WePay are essentially holding my funds hostage and they continue to cancel my withdrawals despite repeated assurances by their support team that my account and bank info is set up perfectly and ready to go. 2-5 days later I get another cancelation withdrawal notification and an email requesting more of my personal information which I immediately comply with. Another 2-5 days later, after being reassured all is perfectly set up and ready to go, without fail I get another cancellation notice and another request for some piece of info that is apparently so pivotal in regards to verifying my account but yet somehow not previously requested. This cycle has repeated itself 4 times now and it's been 14 days since my first withdrawal was initiated and not a single penny has made it my way.

This fund was set up in response for my wife who was nearly killed after being hit by a truck and has a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple burst fracture vertebrae and many other injuries too long to list. Every day these funds remain in the hands of the payment processors account and not mine, my wife's health and recovery suffer. The hundreds of people that donated to us are also victims of this business model concocted by Chase/WePay to make money off the interest of kind and loving peoples donations. I expect to see a reply below from someone at GoFundMe peddling another generic response with no real solution and not one that I haven't already exhausted several times over by this point.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I've read other people's reviews too late, or I would have never signed up in the first place! What a bunch of scammers these people are! So they have you set up a campaign and accept donations first before starting the games with withdrawal delays and endless confirmations of perfectly legitimate bank info!

So if you were really that into security then verify the bank info first THEN start accepting money. Here you have a person reach out for help, have someone respond, try and withdraw the money that are often urgently needed only to discover you now are going to give them a runaround!

They could have gone with another website or even private donations if they knew what a bunch of scamming losers you were. But no, now they are stuck with you and there is not even a phone number to sort things out quickly. Disgusting. Good for me I read the reviews pretty early on, set up withdrawal as soon as possible and once they started the games I just deleted the account. Said "sorry" to the one person that donated and advised them to dispute if they do not get a refund. What a friggin' waste of time and good will this excuse of a company is!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

After dealing with GoFundMe for almost 2 months now. I have sent all information - Bank information, tax ID from the hospital charity, everything they have asked and they have still not release the funds. It is an absolute joke as to how they operate. They have no phone number, you cannot call or talk to a human being. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This has been one of my worst experiences ever. I am 70 years old and have had no heat in my house since October 21st. The utility company turned me down for credit and my bank did too. Started a GoFundMe page and received $300 in donations. Since then the NJ Governor’s office stepped in and is helping me. I tried three times to close out the GoFundMe page but to no avail. Have emailed their Support twice. No response. Someone needs to crack down on these people.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Every phone number they have has been disconnected for customer service! Tried to donate to my friends account to help his family as he has cancer and the money went in for a tip for GoFundMe Instead... I need to dispute now with my bank and wait to give my friend's family that is desperately in need and now they have to wait...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I set up a GoFundMe campaign for my wife who had a malignant brain tumor. It raised $545.00 which was great but when I went to withdraw the money we needed I was given the runaround, then they wanted personal information like bank statements and ID. I have not provided these and they refuse to release the funds. I will be contacting the local county sheriff and county attorney. They are scammers and thieves.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Co. name is; **. We find it hard to believe that we have over 4000 hits (Twitter) and didn't have one dollar, donated to our so called GoFundMe account. GoFundMe is stating that OUR account is on review, BUT NO ONE CAN TELL US WHY OR WHAT'S THE PROBLEM. 2ND THERE NO WAY OF CONTACTING GOFUNDME TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE...???

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I started a GoFundMe for my disabled 6-year-old child. And no money was coming in and I was getting teased about it. So I put my own money up to make it look like my campaign was about to jump off. And the nerve of GoFundMe to take down my campaign. Although I had already closed it. The fact GoFundMe permanently took my site down. I know all my money better come back on my bank card.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

GoFundMe has no phone number to contact customer service. The only way to contact them is through email. They continually kept refunding donor donations to the charity fund which was set up at GoFundMe and would offer no explanation as to why. Donors kept trying to donate and kept getting their donation refunded even though they followed the rules of one donation per person and using their correct name and matching credit card information. GoFundMe even went so far as to request copies of Drivers Licenses via email before they would accept a donation, and even after receiving those copies, they STILL refunded donations without an explanation, to the point that it was impossible to donate to the charity page altogether.

After two weeks GoFundMe stopped returning email messages entirely until finally the donation page had to be removed. We still don't understand what happened, and why their business model is so poor. They should have an 800 number for customer service and they should clearly spell out the rules for donation. If in fact any rules were violated we have no idea what those rules are. They stated that they have proprietary procedures which they cannot disclose even after they received copies of private Driver's licenses and Credit card information from donors.

To this day we have no idea what the problem was. One customer service person contradicted the other customer service person in written emails. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing at GoFundMe. In the meantime, the charity page had to go to a different donation platform because there was no way to make GoFundMe work. Very poor service model and poor communication on the part of GoFundMe.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have zero luck getting a response. I have money tied up for fire victims and you guys have pushed back the release date 5 times with no reason why. The whole point of working with GoFundMe was to help those in need. Now those in need are left hanging while you keep the money. No answers. No phone number. No fun...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have collected about six thousand dollars for a flood relief fund. We are a professional organization and we have only collected money from our members. We have made the request for withdrawal in September 2018 but they have not sent the money to us. We maid several attempts, all the time we get a new date for the money but nothing happened yet. The most pitiable thing is GoFundMe program has no address or contact numbers to reach the. I don't understand how a program like this survived without any govt control. I will join with anybody to fight with this program.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I started a fund to purchase Christmas presents for my local community... The total amount is 1,165 USD and after a MONTH is impossible to get my money. It’s impossible to contact anybody, they don’t response your request. Something good became a nightmare!! I don’t understand why this company keep the money of the people in need. It’s a shame! I will write a daily review here until I get my money. Don’t trust this company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Add me to the list of disappointed GoFundMe users. I requested information about how the beneficiaries, my brother-in-law and his wife, who are not very computer literate, can withdraw money once the withdrawal portion of the account is set up. The customer service rep’s response didn't address my question. I followed up with an email repeating the request and explaining more of the situation (my in-laws lost their laptop in the Paradise fire, so what little computer savvy they have, was made more difficult). This email was met with another unrelated response.

They then put a hold on the account and asked that I add information to the campaign description (How am I related to the beneficiaries, how will the money be used, how will it be withdrawn, etc.). I emailed them an edited version of the description to get approval, and they again emailed an unrelated response. This time they told me to post an update to the campaign that I will be withdrawing the money for myself and a description of how I will get the money to the beneficiaries.

I'm supposed to click "donors and followers," which I assume means they'll get an email that I'm now receiving the funds. I don't want to withdraw the money!!! This would only be my very last option if the process is too difficult for my in-laws. Besides not looking like I'm taking their money, withdrawing it could affect my income taxes. I've sent another email responding to their request, and explaining that I don’t want to withdraw the money but just the information I initially requested, but am doubtful anything will come of it.

I understand that there are lots of scammers trying to make money, especially off of the California fires, but this is ridiculous. I even sent screenshots of the texts I had with my in-laws and my mother-in-law about the fire, including photos and that I wired them money to help them. All the texts are dated to show the sequence of events.

I wish I had just set up a dedicated bank account in their names as my attorney and I had discussed. I thought GoFundMe would make it so much easier on the donors. My in-laws really need this money and can’t get it because nobody is willing to help. I’m starting to think the responses are generated by a computer. If they still don't help me, I'll be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information