2. Finance
  3. Crowdfunding Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I set up a fundraiser on GoFundme for the children of an employee who died suddenly. We achieved our goal and I wanted to obtain the funds for the family. This is when the problems started. I completed all of the withdrawal steps, but no funds arrived. I tried to call, but they do not have a phone number. They say they have chat, but it is not functioning. I have sent numerous emails over a period of 1 month, but no response. These kids need the funds, but they can not be accessed. This is wrong. It looks like I will need to involve a lawyer. My confidence in this company is now -10.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have been using GoFundMe on an annual basis to raise money for various charities at the Holidays. When I set up this year's campaign I had two options - send the money directly to the charity (which would have been preferred) or send it to my account. Since I fundraise for 10 charities, I had to set up the fundraiser so that the money would go to my account so I could distribute it out.

To my surprise, I had a very successful fundraiser (which is amazing)! But now GoFundMe is holding the funds until they can determine whether or not I'm legitimate. I get this, and can appreciate it, but I really want to disperse the funds to the agencies. I tried to contact them via phone - no customer service number. I tried via their chat bot - which did not work at all - I finally found an email address. I have sent three messages to them asking them if I can donate funds via the charities web portals (their original message to me indicated that I needed to do a wire transfer or check - both of which will cost me additional money and take away from the donations to the charity). It is so frustrating! I wish someone would just call me so we could work this out. But for some reason they just don't do that.

Right now, I have about 8K of the 26K that I raised. I am itching to send it to the charities, but am so scared that GoFundMe is going to withhold further distributions because I didn't send it the right way. And they are telling me that I am on a timeline to them to prove that what I'm doing is legit. What about your response time to me? I am so frustrated. GoFundMe - get your customer service act together - stat! There are too many competitors for you to be acting this way.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Dec. 18, 2020

I finally got ahold of someone and they are releasing the money. This issue is resolved and my stress went from 110% to 0%. Them finally answering me restored my faith slightly but they really need phone or at the very least chat support. It’s 2020. That’s a job that can be done from home. Heck give me that job!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I had a Go Fund Me set up that helped with Christmas gifts for my child as I lost my job due to the Pandemic. I have proof my unemployment is exhausted. My fundraiser raised way over my goal so I turned off donations, not wanting to take more than I needed to catch up on my bills and buy Christmas for my child. After turning off donations and setting up withdraws I get a message that my withdraws are on hold and to reply which I did as soon as they sent it. I have emailed 8-9 times with no response. They are not giving me the money that people donated and will not answer me. Gofund Me stole my child's Christmas money, and I am so upset. There is no chat option, there is no one to call. They just took the money and won't answer. So incredibly frustrating. Do not trust them. Do not use Go Fund Me. They can just keep your money with and ignore the people you intended to help.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

GoFundMe accepted money from me for a cause but when GoFundMe removed the cause, I didn't get any refund. Their Help page basically puts the responsibility on me to find the money on the "donation" system they use. I will NEVER USE this platform again. And I have been letting friends know.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I have used you several times and I will never use you again!!! You are the most disgusting dishonest company. I will never contribute one cent and will make it a mission to let everyone know what you did to the postal worker Hopkins who had the courage to do the right thing!!! Yet you contributed 1,000’s of dollars to the arsonist in my town La Mesa!! Go to hell you fat ugly pigs sitting on your liberal fat asses in San Diego ha ha. I hope this made your day! Criminals!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I had use GoFund me in the past, I never had a minor issue and when I had questions their customers derívese phone number was available and very helpful. I opened a new campaign to help Honduras during the Emergency crisis due to Hurricane ETA, But unfortunately, this time I had a big issue with withdrawing the money and when trying t contact then I found out they don’t even have a number for customer services anymore. Instead they ask you to leave a comment on the website. I did exactly that and it’s been 5 days and I haven’t even received and email that my issues was received or any updates. The experience has been horrible and the delay it’s causing a lot of problems with our efforts to send the funds to the country that desperately need. I don’t recommend this site anymore!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

People don’t tell their whole story. Current felons can Ask for anything even though they haven’t gone to trial.. Asking for funds to fix a car, really??? The whole crocodile tears things, plus they Do not Refund your money if you find a case to be fraudulent. Absurd. This one person has tried 4 times to raise money 4 times with a record dating back to 2016...no guidelines whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I was fundraising for an urgent humanitarian effort on behalf of a registered charity, which was set as the beneficiary. I used the GoFundMe platform and asked all my friends to donate, which they did. My campaign was reviewed and approved by GoFundMe before going live, and was going directly to a Canadian registered charity, so there were no issues whatsoever. After 3 weeks of smooth running, GoFundMe suddenly shut down my campaign - no warnings and no explanations were provided. Tried contacting them 4 times already - no response. The charity hadn't had a chance to withdraw the funds yet. So utterly distressed and disappointed that they would ruin my efforts just like that and make me feel embarrassed in front of my donors and the charity that I got depressed the whole week. Would absolutely not recommend anyone fundraising on this platform ever again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

This crowd funding services has much to explain for themselves. I created an account, but days later was unable to sign in nor get an email to change my password. I really dislike how they gather all this verification about my phone number SMS, address, my bank account, the bank accounts of donors, etc. Yet, Go Fund Me fails to prove they can store this information properly, much less securely. Many tech giants are becoming more absurd about their captchas and verifications, locking people out of their accounts for no reason whatsoever.

GoFundMe response

We’re so sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been running into with accessing your account. We make our customer’s safety and security our top priority. All of the private information you enter on GoFundMe is encrypted and locked in databases that are monitored 24 hours a day with the same level security that banks use. If you are still running into trouble, please reach out via our Help Center and our team will be more than willing to help: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I sent a small donation to someone in need. They were trying to reach a high goal. They didn't reach that goal. Three months later I received a email that says that a donation was returning to me. The problem was I used a prepaid card to send that donation and after 3 months when the return came I no longer had that car, so I asked the representatives what do I do about that refund since I couldn't withdraw it off of that card that I no longer had and they were both rude and they both said they couldn't help me. I will never use that service again. Buyer beware of GoFundMe.

GoFundMe response

We’re so sorry to hear about your negative experience and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. When you get a chance, can you respond to our most recent message to you and ask to speak to a manager? We would like to look into your situation further and want to make sure it’s fully investigated. You can also reach back out to us here: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information