3.5/5 (329 ratings)

About GoFundMe

GoFundMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: June 10, 2022

I have just managed to raise $5910.00 for a friend and coworker of mine, after her daughter unexpectedly passed away. GoFundMe is holding all of the donations hostage, as they claim that they can’t “verify my identity.” They also claim that I have not responded to their 3 emails requesting me to verify my identity, even though I have responded and re-responded multiple times, even leaving my phone number and requesting a phone call. They are now telling me “Well, since we can’t verify who you are, your beneficiary cannot recover the funds.” I have now escalated this to the Fraud Center Department of the ** website. I will never ever use this fraudulent company again. Be very careful about donating through them, and do not start a fundraiser through them. You will get nowhere, as their customer service e department is likely A.I. algorithms and not real people. Run run run.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Go Fund me has refused to respond to multiple requests to end a fundraiser that violates many rules. It contains bullying, lies, details regarding a court case, false drug allegations and homophobic references. I have alerted GFM daily through their report fraud option. I left multiple phone messages. The post is beyond disturbing.

Get buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Worst experience ever. Held funds. Made an attempt to use these funds for charity of their choosing, not the intended purpose. Can't be trusted. I don't recommend to anyone. Your money is not safe with GoFundMe.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We were also trying to raise some money for Ukrainian families that came to the city. But support wrote us back, something about "...according to recent developments within the region your fundraising has been removed" and removed our fundraising. They gave no links to the law or any other documents. And didn't answer according to what developments they removed it, just complete silence. Shame organization, shame for the people who work there.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Blocked funds, missing money, buggy site. And on escalation, a very slow to respond help centre.. Funds raised, literally disappeared from the screen, into the ether - I don't know whose pockets they're lining - but it's certainly not available to the charity foundation (for the evacuation of Ukrainian refugees) that they were intended for. The level of incompetence here, is borderline criminal. AVOID.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Great aunt of deceased niece set up account to help the family. She then refused to turn over money so GoFundMe was contacted. They never answered the numerous complaints after adding on 15% fee. I will never donate under their site again!

GoFundMe response
    Thank you for your review, Pamela! We are sorry to hear you did not receive a response from our team, if you still did not hear from us, please contact us again via this form: https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest

Additionally, we'd like to mention that there is a standard transaction fee of 2.9% + $0.30 per donation that allows for credit card processing and safe transfer of funds.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I donated to a cause in Feb. of 2022. My private personal visa info was leaked out by them. In a month I had 4 fraudulent charges on my card. Go fund me was nothing but a Visa fraud nightmare. I had to close my accounts and start new ones. The bank teller told me that I was the 5th one this week that had the same treatment. They are not trustworthy at all.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

They will steal any money that they feel is going to the wrong people. Stay away from them. Do not trust them at all. CrowdFundMe is much safer. Do not do are through this site as they are crooked to the core.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My personal experience (I have used many times in the last) with Gofundme is so low that I will never use them again. I’d rather send a personal check to whatever the charity or cause may be. They have shut down, reallocated funds or frozen some of the charities I wanted to support over “woke” views and propaganda instead of real evidence of any illegal or wrongdoing. Opinions should not reflect action in a free society. I will use unbiased crowdfunding sites instead. Be wary of any site taking your money who feels they have the right to change the course of action on money you donated for something specific!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

The money I donated wasn't given to the charity I donated to. They have seized the money and should be taken to court. Criminals, these people don't deserve any business. Hope they either change their mind and be fair or lose in court and pay for damages.

GoFundMe author review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

by Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Advisor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information