1.52/5

173 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Holding funds from hurricane Michael victims. My home was destroyed from hurricane Michael in Panama City, FL. I have been trying to access funds for several days as I am currently homeless. The name of my campaign is Alex NEEDS our help!!! I am disabled with secondary progressive MS and in desperate need.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Today I received a transfer from the donations that were not returned. However, because GoFundMe canceled my campaign without an explanation and I cannot log into my account, I don’t know whose donations reflect the amount in my account. Also, did GoFundMe charged me a fee, even though they canceled my campaign without an explanation? There is a terrible lack of transparency and effective customer service, I honestly don’t know why. Closing campaigns without an explanation or warning makes one highly suspicious. Because there are other people’s money involved, it is also very embarrassing and worrisome. The email customer service was prompt in answering although it would take several emails just to clear up one problem. After canceled my campaign, none of my emails were answered. I am happy for the people who were successful in their campaigns. I am sad I wasn’t.

Get expert buying tips about Crowdfunding Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My husband needed insulin and being in the donut hole we needed a co-pay of $1,257.00. Money we just didn't have. I made a page and posted it and within 2 days had my first donation of $50. GoFundMe kept me updated constantly and would send emails offering advice on how to help promote my page. We were able to get the entire amount asked for and within 2 business days it was posted into our checking account. I know this site has helped others in need and I am very thankful for the assistance that they were able to provide! Of course, I hope I never have to make another one, but if I had to I would not hesitate or think twice about using them again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had launched a campaign to collect money in order to pay for the treatments of local ill stray cats. After four days, GoFundMe deleted both my campaign and account, sending me an email where it was stated that they couldn't disclose the reason of such action. I complained and in response they sent me the exactly same email again. I feel very frustrated and fooled around.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

GoFundMe has no way to speak with a human. They only take emails and are extremely poor in responding. If they get one complaint about the validity of your account - with no proof other someone may not like you - they will freeze your donations. I would never recommend them again. They are only in it for the percentage they take.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoFundMe?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Yes my Sister had a GoFundMe account set up for her due to her having cancer in 2017. The money that was raised for the campaign wasn't spent for what it should have been. I provided actual documentation to GoFundMe after several emails were sent to them. I jumped thru all these hoops and did everything they asked me to do. In the end they said I didn't have a fraudulent claim. This money was used by my Sister's boyfriend for his personal use not for her medical expenses as detailed in the campaign. GoFundMe is a complete joke and should look into these campaigns before letting people set them up.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

In this year June 2018 I created a campaign for someone. Then after few donations I have to cancel my campaign and ask all donations back to the donors. All donations returned but except one (which is my husband made $2000). Several time I try to contact GoFundMe. They ask my bank account statement and I sent whatever they want but they still didn't return our money back. I don’t know how can go to legal action for this. You cannot talk anybody from GoFundMe, only they send email and no one solve the problem. I am definitely regret to choose GoFundMe. I was trying to make something good, they stole our money. Being good is impossible if you can trust.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had a family member pass away in first week of June and a friend set up a GoFundMe for me and immediately collected enough donations for the funeral costs by mid June, however GoFundMe kept pushing the withdrawal date to the right so I had to pay my families funeral costs out of emergency funds I had saved. I have been waiting for 3 months now with no help whatsoever and my friend has been emailing GoFundMe constantly with nothing but the same replies requesting the same information. I will be homeless in October due to funeral costs and believing that GoFundMe would have came through by now.

The worst part is that many friends that donated to me actually thought I had received the funds months ago. GoFundMe support is obviously ran by heartless robots that don’t understand how important their website is supposed to be and judging by every negative comment, I am not the only victim that the heartless scammers at GoFundMe have preyed on. I am now selling my phone so I can get something to eat today but nobody expects to use 10,000.00 dollars in their savings last minute anyways.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have started a GoFundMe campaign named as help Nisa's family to heal. It is about a widow mom with a mentally challenged daughter. I had $400 funds and when the time for withdrawal of the fund came I could not even set up the bank account. I clearly mentioned that the person who is going to withdraw the funds is my husband as I myself don't have any bank account. I have sent multiple emails to them but I didn't get any response while their page says they help people within 24 hours. The first time I asked them about the problem with funds withdrawal, a representative named as Melinda replied that beneficiary information is not complete so they have withhold my donation.

I have seen people raising million of dollars but I am raising funds for a dying Muslim family so I am not given any help. The donations on my campaign are from my community so let me have that at least. I have given a hope to this family that they gonna get seizures medication for the daughter and the day I tell them, "They stopped your funds"... I am really sad I need help. I have uploaded a video of real live people and I also said I can provide more information too. I am sure after this review they are going to surely put down my campaign. I have saved with me all the emails and screenshot. Maybe I will need them later.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have patiently waited a full week excluding weekends for the funds raised to be sent to my account. I still have not received those funds, expected date keeps getting pushed out, meanwhile people need their money back because it was not available to pay for the funeral expenses. I have sent several inquiries and only received the same email stating the money has been sent and will be available 2 to 5 business days. Highly disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This is in regards to the Jazmere ** Burial Fund: It would be so nice to actually deal with a person and not just another form letter. I sent in the information they requested which was answered with another form letter. I wouldn't recommend Go Fund Me under ANY circumstances! If you want to help someone, help them directly for free. As it stands right now, a whole lot of people donated money for my daughter's burial, while the campaign organizer, Andrea **, stole the money to pay her rent, car payment, storage fees, and other personal items. And, informing Go Fund Me about this has been pointless. I suppose I have to go to a TV news station and let them report it on air just to get some real help. A forum to help people is actually no help at all. What a total waste!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Our family set up a memorial campaign which the site says we can. Since we both set it up together, we initially set it up as Prince ** and later changed the set up by the ** Family. (All as surviving family) simply trying to set up a great campaign to get the help we need. $650 was raised. We tried to withdraw to set up arrangements to purchase the casket, and the campaign was taken down, with a email that we can't use GoFundMe services, because their banks require them to be careful of what's processed through their site.

We only posted the campaign, and "thank you for your support, God bless you", to our donors. We don't understand what term we've violated. Donation were made by specific individuals, not through their bank. As a result we still don't have the funding we need for the funeral. Withdrawal information was set up as well as the account correctly and accurately from the United States, also a country GoFundMe says they support campaign organizers and donors to use their site.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We set up a GoFundMe to fund a funeral for our loved one who passed away in August. The campaign raised $650 in donations. Now the campaign has been taken down for unknown reasons. We have read and reviewed the terms and policy. And there is nothing we nor our campaign breached. Our loved one is still laying in the morgue and GoFundMe has denied us the opportunity for no reason at all to lay her to rest. ** FAMILY???

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have raised approximately $900 through a GoFundMe campaign. They have taken their cut of this money and refused to allow me to withdraw any of the rest to pass on to my suffering, Venezuelan in-laws who are in the direst of states trying to survive under the power of a brutal dictator who has brought the country to its knees, e.g., one million percent inflation - food is scarce, there are no medicines, and the only currency that has any value is the U.S. dollar.

When I go to withdraw the money, I get the following message from GFM: "Campaign Alert! Your campaign is currently under review and all withdrawals are on hold. Please check your email for details." I have indeed replied with all the information requested and have since (days, weeks) have heard nothing from them despite my many pleas. I could never entrust them again with the help for and well being of loved ones. I am hoping to help other people considering this route to raise funds with this organization. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My friend started a campaign to raise money for a wheelchair for her son, I donated 150 euros for her a 5 euros as commission, but it changed and it was difficult to put 5 euros for commission. I do not know how it happened but when I saw that my donation for my friend was 5 euros and 150 for GoFundMe I tried to contact them immediately, but there is no phone, or chat or consumer support to help me fix this confusion. There is no way I would donate 150 euros for GoFundMe and 5 for my friend. They are not reachable, I feel ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I set up GoFundMe as I help rough sleepers in our area and we needed funds to help pay for bed and breakfast and accommodation. GoFundMe asked for National ID of which I sent after a lot of running around regarding the image not being clear enough, it was then scanned and sent. They then stated it was okay etc. Then they emailed stating they needed both sides, of which I had already sent. I reminded them of this but sent again. Again this was okay. Then I'm passed onto a new section (dealing with 3 people so far over a week's period) to be told National ID, that THEY request, isn't actually good enough and they cannot process withdrawals. But, they HAVE of course taken money themselves out of the account, I just am unable. They have stopped emailing.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We raised over $600 only to find out someone hacked my account and got all but $48. When I told them over a week ago they still failed to give me the money that belongs to me. This needs correcting now.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I am a cancer patient with a son. Haven't been able to work for 2 months. It will be a year before I can return to work. I set this up to help with bills and groceries and anything we needed. We were supposed to receive funding today, but somehow my account number has been erased from their system. I entered the number again. Now it will be another week. I didn't make this mistake but I'm paying for it. With the exception of this perky e-mail promising nothing. I have no idea how anyone intends to fix this. We are about to lose electric and we have no food. I know GoFundMe isn't hungry, since they have our money. Their business practices are lacking and sketchy at best. Cancer is already miserable but when you think you're getting help and it's false hopes from someone who isn't even courteous enough to fix a problem it's cruel. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I started a campaign to raise funds for legal defense for my son, several people donated and the account was rolling, then GoFundMe canceled the account because it violated their terms and conditions. I changed the campaign to support his family to provide rent and normal living expenses since they lost all their income and were in a terrible situation, and again the campaign was canceled. I've accepted this and have raised funds in other ways, then I see national stories of guys like McCabe and Peter Strzok asking for help with criminal defense funds and it was allowed, there were no differences in these campaigns!

GoFundMe response

Hello Gary. In order for campaigns to remain live or able to receive further donations, they need to be in compliance with our terms here: http://www.gofundme.com/terms. Our payment processor is unable to continue processing payments for your campaign, so any received funds not already withdrawn were refunded, and your campaign has been closed. We appreciate your understanding as we keep GoFundMe the safest place to give.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

In January 2018 my daughter died. GoFundMe allowed someone to use her death for financial gain, and did NOTHING when it was brought to their attention. My story - My daughter’s sister in law set up a GoFundMe account to “pay for her funeral and children’s expenses”. The money went to her brother...he never paid a dime for the cremation or spent a dime on her children, I have no idea what he squandered the money on but it was not what was “advertised” in the request. When I reported the fraud to GoFundMe, they sent a email telling me to contact the local police. The police told us that is GoFundMe’s way of “covering”, investigating and prosecuting fraud. That’s doing nothing.

I agree with most other people’s complaints here, DONT TRUST GOFUNDME, it’s a fraud, perpetrates fraud, allows people to commit fraud using their site. If you want or need to help someone out financially give them money or a check directly...GoFundMe is NOT the way to help anyone except GoFundMe. This isn’t a matter of money, personally I don’t need it, it’s the principle. People gave their hard earned money to what they believed was funeral expenses and help 2 small children with the loss of their mother. None of that happened, so they were all cheated.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been trying for almost 2 months to have the funds sent to me. I do get an email stating it is on the way (4x) and never receive the check. I try to go through the customer service but keep getting errors. No one to call. They have over $22K that is owed to me. I am hoping someone from GoFundMe will reach out to me. Email address is: **.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have notified GoFundMe of a specific account that has a series of fraudulent information provided yet they have not responded. I additionally have offered to provide documentation to verify said claims. The account details the beneficiary has no means to pay for rent or utilities, however I have proof that is a flat lie. This account further cites the beneficiary is unable to work for eleven and a half months, though the documentation illustrates only three of those months the doctors excused her from work should she wish. This account also cites she has four children to care for, though she is not financial supporting any of those four children.

If that being said with proof was not enough I further illustrated the beneficiary has been traveling extensively for what the individuals claims is her current state of health. The beneficiary also had a YouCaring where she gained over $8,000 dollars in donations therefore there is multiple information that is not only falsified but is terribly misleading. In bringing this to GoFundMe’s attention they have yet to do a thing. It’s terrible upsetting GoFundMe has allowed donors to give to a cause where they have falsified and misleading information before them.

GoFundMe response

Hello R. If you believe someone is committing fraud or breaking the law in any other way, please report the campaign to our Trust & Safety Team by following these steps:

1. Visit the campaign
2. Scroll to the bottom and click the ‘Report Campaign’ button

3. At the bottom of the following page, click the ‘Report Campaign’ button to file a complaint

After you submit your report, our Trust & Safety Team may reach out to you to receive the evidence.

Resolution response: Sept. 10, 2018

My husband finally contacted go fund me and they finally transferred the money so it now has been given to the family. Lesson learned. First and last time we will use the Gofundme me. I do understand scams and I have no idea how you can stop them but that should be up to the person donating to look into it. Every last person that donated knew the person or knew of a person who knew the person that required the donation. Happy the family received the money still not happy what we had to go through.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Made a GoFundMe page for my husband's best friend of 33 years. They won’t release the funds without my husband's friends government issued ID. He is now deceased. Unfortunately due to his g tube making a mess they throw away his sweatpants with his wallet in it so what are we suppose to do. He had pancreatic cancer and we just wanted to help his family. He went so fast no one had the chance to breathe. All we wanted to do was to get the funds before the wake. They first said the funds would be available August 29th then September 1st now they want an ID. Could they traumatize the family anymore? Thanks GoFundMe. I understand scams but this isn’t one. Emailing your support is useless. No one gets back to you and the wake is this Sunday. Look up the obit so you know it’s not a scam.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018
Hi, everyone. I wanna tell you about my experience with GoFundMe. We had a page called Creative Conflict Resolution on GoFundMe. Could be it's still up. It was supposed to be a big operation. And towards the beginning of our go-funding, me and a couple of my friends, we all pitched in for this idea of making this world a better place and making our organization, MNGlobal.org, a non-profit. And after 40, 50 bucks was in the bag, I told my colleague, which was running the account, to make a withdrawal. He said that he's having a lot of issues with the bank, setting up the bank. And finally, he did. And then he said, "Maybe you should try?" and I tried. And then, we kind of went back and forth on e-mail with customer service, maybe 30 to 40 times. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but about 30 to 40 times back and forth and back and forth, to understand why the account was frozen and all that. And at the end, they just kept on telling us, "Best wishes. Kindest regards. Maybe you're confusing different accounts?” And we only have one account with GoFundMe. And it was ridiculous they have no phone customer service. They have extremely terrible 48-hour per reply e-mail service. Absolutely terrible. We haven’t seen one cent. They claim they funded our bank account and that they passed the transaction. Of course, they took very high fees. What I recommend is people not use GoFundMe ever. Just get a link from PayPal so people can donate to you directly to your PayPal.
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Keep getting a error when submitting the bank statement. They want to verify the bank. Even tried a totally different account. The fund was set up by my wife’s friend after she was savagely beaten by an officer that is now off duty from the incident. The funds were to pay for her teeth to be fixed, sadly GoFundMe is either running some sort of interest collecting scam or is just totally incompetent.

We did our press conference with the media today and were forced to talk about this issue concerning GoFundMe. We’ve submitted everything they asked for but the date keeps getting pushed back. Looks like my wife and all her friends that supported have been scammed. I cannot recommend this site at all. And I’ll have to submit this issue to the FTC and BBB because I’m certain we’re not the only ones with this issue. They are too big a company not to have at least chat support. Several days or support tickets and not one response. We showed this to the media as well. Sad.

GoFundMe response

We're sorry for the trouble you had uploading your verification, Thomas!

We occasionally require supporting documentation just to make sure we send your funds safely to the right place.

If you're having any trouble uploading your documents, please reach out to our team by visiting http://www.gofundme.com/contact. We'll be able to help get everything uploaded for you! Rest assured, it's always our goal to make sure you receive your funds.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I contributed to a GoFundMe started by a friend Betty ** titled ** to assist a woman she sponsored who was dealing with her mother's typhoid fever. The need was urgent, she raised $943, and was unable to get the funds to send to her young woman for medical care. No explanations. And worse, NO phone number to call and get answers. A business this large dealing with this volume of money should be REQUIRED to have a phone number to get real answers. She still has not been given our donations. I want answers if I am EVER going to trust my funds to GoFundMe again. And give us a valid phone number with real live people if you have nothing to hide!

GoFundMe response

Hello there Alyce. Please know GoFundMe currently offers full customer support through email only, so we can continue serving thousands of users daily, and keep detailed records of all conversations.

Our team is always here to help ensure that the beneficiary receives the full amount due for their campaign. If Betty is still having any troubles with her withdrawals, please have her visit http://www.gofundme.com/contact.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I guess it's too much work! I am a Canadian citizen, in the Dominican Republic and set up a GoFundMe to raise funds for equipment and uniforms for a group of Dominican kids to play soccer. I asked for support and they shut down my fundraiser without warning! After we had received the first donations Guy named Francisco! Guess it was too much work to actually help with the questions I asked! Dont waste your time...

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I donated to a GoFundMe account yesterday for the first time. At first they were going to charge me a so called 10% tip. I looked and saw two other options, a 5% tip and an others category. The others defaulted to a 10% tip. The min I had to pay to make a donation was 5%. That is not a tip, that is a fee. What a rip, I will no longer donate to your fund. I will write a personal check to the party in need and bypass this fund. Your tip is a fee, I had no option but to pay you 5% min. Getting 5% min from every dollar is a scam.

GoFundMe response

Hey there Rick. We're happy to verify that the tip is 100% voluntary. When making any future donations on GoFundMe, you may always choose the tip option that works best for you from the drop down menu as shown here: https://i.imgur.com/P8JVYyP.png. You may select a $0.00 tip by choosing the "Other" option.

If you did not intend to leave a tip, you may always contact our team at http://www.gofundme.com/contact and we'll be happy to refund your tip in full.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We created the account to get funds for my very unwell child to see a private doctor, GoFundMe keep pushing back the date of the withdrawal, it has changed 4 times now and we need the funds by the 13th, they will not answer my emails and don't care that they have put a child's health at risk.

GoFundMe response

We're so sorry for the trouble you've had contacting us, Dan. We certainly want to make sure we get those funds to you as soon as possible.

To make sure you're able to get in contact with us, please visit our contact page http://www.gofundme.com/contact rather than sending a direct email. Our team will then be happy to look into these withdrawals for you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I set up a GoFundMe account for my uncle that is fighting Pancreatic Cancer in Venezuela. I live in Canada and I have access to more people that can help with a good cause than my family back home so I decided to open a campaign to help raise money to cover the medical bills. I have seen hundreds of campaign out there with just few information, or with similar cases that have reached a lot of good people willing to donate. However, I guess I was the lucky one that GoFundMe chose to not like. My campaign was reviewed and somehow rejected. I was told by one of their reps that they were not pleased with the way the money was going to be delivered to the beneficiary.

Not everybody knows, but in Venezuela there is an economic crisis. There is no paper to print money and all transactions have to be done electronically with a lot of limitations, so everyone has to use 3rd parties to get the full amount of money needed even to buy groceries. Therefore, when I explained GoFundMe that I was going to send the money to my family via a 3rd party that has access to exchange my currency (CND dollars to Venezuelan Bolivares) they could not accept and requested me to close the campaign and refund the money.

In reality, I did not raise much and most of the donations came from close friends, which I appreciate, so I just decided to deactivate the campaign. I don't really like to deal with issues like this and felt that somehow they thought the campaign was not real. However, I am surprise that a platform like GoFundMe that has seen a lot of cases because of the Venezuelan Crisis could not understand and I also wonder how other cases are treated. It is impossible to open an account in dollars to a beneficiary that is in another country so I still wonder how other campaigns are ok and not the one I did. The experience was definitely very disappointing as the person that was reviewing the campaign could not even offer a call where we could have a better discussion and understanding of the situation. Again, I understand policies and respect them, but the customer service could have been much better.

GoFundMe response

Thank you for your feedback, Daniela. In order to keep GoFundMe as the safest place to give, our Community Management team requires the funds to have a clear and direct path to the beneficiary.

In this case, since a direct path to the beneficiary cannot be provided, we are unable to continue processing payments for your campaign. We do apologize for any inconvenience with this and hope that you're able to find another way to help your uncle.

GoFundMe expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information