GoFundMe
  • 1 star
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GoFundMe

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

63 GoFundMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We had a GoFundMe account to help my sister being so her husband has lost his job and is very ill and not giving long to live. To help pay their rent and buy food we have asked for the funds. They have accidentally put funds into a account that was closed and they have not refunded us our full amount yet. We have been fighting with them communicating continuously every day. It says they can write out a check and send that right away if you look on your contract. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now they may not have money for the rent and getting an eviction notice which I will go after GoFundMe for this. I am so upset with them right now. They are holding our funds and will not give them out. I do not recommend GoFundMe whichsoever.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I made a mistake on the amount donated, because I didnt noticed that was in DLLS instead on PESOS. I followed instructions to "refunds" that supposed to be done in 3-7 days, and it has been a nightmare not only because I still doesn't have my money back, but all the stress of the family that need the money for the hospital issues. No phone number, no "proof of payment/refund" to help the bank donor track the "refund", just informal emails with no value. Anyone knows where I can demand the company for fraud? Or any phone number for a really customer service? Thanks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

After Hurricane Harvey, both our church and house flooded. We set separate accounts to recover. The church funds were held for over 2 months. For our house, a donor did not communicate with his spouse about his donation, his wife was able to request a refund. This caused a chain reaction. Now we are stressed trying to recover both the hurricane and the mismanagement. It is almost impossible to communicate with this organization.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I believe the concept is sound but the expectation can be flawed. There is no way to get enough exposure for a local benign cause that has no following. People turn to this for help and don't get any in most cases.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I had a site up to generate funds for a bedridden dysfunctional wife and never received a dime. So closed the site. For me it was a waste of time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about gofundme?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been trying for days to withdraw money and cannot get the help needed. There are countless q&a, but none leads to the help we need. My BP is running high and the money needed to help out cause for the flood victims is simply impossible to get as there is no phone support. Email responds seem elusive and escalation levels seem to have gone nowhere. Bottom line, I am really pissed, as we have kick started the campaign with $1000 of our own money and friends and family donations of $755 are nowhere to be found. Can someone please help or suggest how to make them pay up???

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

GoFundMe is an absolute SCAM! This is the email I received from GoFundMe after struggling majorly with my campaign's setup. I still haven't received a further response from them. "It has come to our attention that our payment partner will no longer be able to process payments for your account. As a result, your GoFundMe account has been removed. We will be unable to disclose any information as to why your account has been closed. Any donations made to your campaign that have not already been withdrawn have been refunded and will be returned to your donors within 5-10 business days. Thank you for your understanding."

I had a genuine cause & am struggling to make ends meet & this company has only made things more difficult. I hope they get shut down. Also taking 5% of donations is beyond a joke too! On another note: My close friend donors who informed me of their donations state they haven't received their refunds. Where did the money go? SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The whole situation with this organization started out pretty good, I was raising money for a student ambassador trip. I had tried to withdraw my funds unsuccessfully on several occasions even though my account information was all set up, what they don't tell you is that you have to separately withdraw it from WePay so I was waiting for them to deposit my funds not knowing there was another step. Long story short my funds were escheated and given to the state which can take up to 4 months to process before you can claim them.

After a brief exchange with the customer service team I was still frustrated and contacted the state. WePay customer support was utterly useless and just terrible, HOWEVER the escalated customer service team at WePay was outstanding. Teanna in particular took the time to explain everything and really tried to help the situation. They did fix the issue to my satisfaction no help to WePay. Props to Teanna and her team, they really know what customer service is.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Customer service is non-existent. Take your BP meds often, you cannot talk to a person, the last person to pick up your email does not bother to read the previous thread so you can pretty much count on having a stroke while dealing with this company. Do not recommend at all!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am running an election so my campaign donations must be quick and on time. Almost 4 weeks this company has held $2,300.00 from me and my campaign and now wants almost 500 and keeps pushing back the release date.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I opened a GoFundMe account, have tried 4 campaigns. The one actually received funds. I requested one payout, and gave all requested information. Well and good, I got more donations and large donations as well, next thing I know I am receiving an email telling me my account was closed for violation of terms and services. I printed out terms of service, read thru it and I had done nothing it stated as a problem.

I contacted customer happiness as they call it, I could not get a 5 minute answer as they promised, but next morning I get an email telling me their partner who processes payments cannot process my account, so it is being closed, and all donations are being refunded and campaign closed. And am told they can provide no specifics. Screams fraud and scam to me. My other campaigns still show on the site as well as my newest campaign which has yet to receive a donation. I think everyone who gets scammed by GoFundMe needs to get together and file a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I started a functioning as non profit company called One Sky Global. I'm a public figure. My followers raised over 7K for helping victims of hurricanes and natural disasters. We then paid out of our own pockets, because GoFundMe won't pay us! It has been over a month and I continually ask them why we haven't been paid. They claim they need a ''government issued ID". I keep sending this over to them (three times now) and they continue to ask for it and not pay.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Raised $450 for my dog's bladder stone removal surgery from friends and family and Go Fund Me took $40 of that. I can understand a smaller portion, to keep the site running but GOSH!!! I won't use this service again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Since March of 2017 a long-time abuser has been using Go Fund Me as a platform for psychological elder abuse of her own 82 year old mother (me). In spite of repeated requests from me and another relative that these libelous campaigns be removed - four have been launched and still exist. I believe that allowing these campaigns makes Go Fund Me complicit in the elder abuse. Go Fund Me is allowing illegal and offensive postings and providing a forum for abuse... What kind of image are they trying to project???

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have previously had a GoFundMe page and successfully raised $ 5,000.00 with it. I set up another GoFundMe page which was a ministry and actually an outpouring to the previous page. GoFundMe repeatedly sent me emails suggesting my page was reported for fraud. There has never been any fraud, never will be any fraud, and I have answered all GoFundMe concerns many times. They have disabled my link and refuse to even respond to my emails. I do NOT recommend this site for anything as we do have haters in our world and GoFundMe apparently doesn't even take the time to answer the emails of the people who legitimately try to use the site. In short, I believe GoFundMe is the fraud. DO NOT USE THIS SITE. You will regret it and be made to look bad even when practicing truth and integrity, which is something GoFundMe might want to try.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Names are changed to protect privacy --- We clicked on our friend's Facebook page link to send a donation to help their family member, Johnathan. When we got to the page it showed a picture of our friend, Johnathan and his kids. We gave our donation but our credit card statement showed a different "Johnathan". When we requested a correction with a credit to our account, GoFundMe refused to issue the credit, so the money is going to a stranger. This is wrong and is illegal. They need to get their system errors corrected and stop the 'blanket' email messages refusing to work with the consumer. We will never use GoFundMe ever again and have escalated this dispute even more with our CC company. They are doing business in a fraudulent manner!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

www.GoFundMe.com became very nosy about my "Campaign" to help a friend in the ICU. They would not release all money raised unless they spoke with my friend in need who was in ICU. This is a complete SCAM and FRAUDULENT company. I demanded they send all funds over six times. They declined and said they would keep the money. #SCAM #FRAUD

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I am raising money for my dog's emergency expensive surgery (http://theladyslounge.com/nina-needs-your-help/) and raised over $600 on GoFundMe. I've only raised enough to pay the deposit but the first time I tried to withdraw money and transfer it to my bank, the transfer was cancelled a few days later, without any explanation. I emailed to inquire and was told that my bank account information was incorrect and to go back in and resubmit it. Every time I do that, I receive an error message telling me to "confirm your bank account number" and it won't let me withdraw any money. I emailed them again and have heard nothing back. My dog's surgery was Saturday and I still can't pay for it. I'm so frustrated. I recommend using PayPal or internet money transfers. GoFundMe is fun because everyone can see who donated, and how much, but it doesn't help if you can't ever actually have the money.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have had a terrible experience, I started this account to help my father with expenses that have accrued as my mother has terminal brain cancer. My mother recently passed and we would like to use the funds to help pay for the funeral. When I went to my account it said that there were people that wanted to donate and have been able to, I tried to get the money off the account to help with funeral costs. I can only get so far and then nothing. I have tried to do several that the site says to do, nothing. I think that this site just ropes people off that are grieving. How can people be so heartless?? Don't trust this site with your loved one's money.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I made a donation to my granddaughter's Go Fund Me page to assist her with her dream of working in the theater only to learn my donation partially goes to her because Go Fund Me will take a percentage. Had I known this indiscretion I would have given her the money directly. I participated in Go Fund Me to encourage others to donate. Now I've ask my daughter to take down the page and I'm calling my bank to resend the funds. Also, it should have been stated sooner rather than later about the percentage Go Fund Me steals from those who are in need! Actually, zero stars would be more appropriate!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I set up an account for a terminally ill friend who lost her home and car to the flooding in Houston caused by Harvey. I began receiving donations, and wanted to withdraw those immediately in order to send the cash to this friend, but after I filled out the required fields with my bank account information, an alert box appeared informing me that my withdrawal was under review. Six days later, I have only one email reply from a GoFundMe representative promising an answer with in two day. Two days have passed and I have heard nothing further.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We were set up an acct 14 months ago. I have been battling them 14 months. Our money was fraudulently removed. They froze out and never informed us of this. After 14 months and jumping thru every hoop and trick they offered us 528.00 of over 1600.00 if their supervisors OK it. So, in a nutshell all our friends donated and we never received one cent. How is that fair or right. I want an attorney and public exposure to their policies. They say all their donations are protected, but not for us. They let people I don't know have my money. I'm so humiliated. Buyer beware they're not what they're cracked up to be.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am an RMN raising funds for an elderly lady. I have had the most ridiculous experience. It has taken me more than 3 weeks to withdraw the funds raised for this lady... complication upon complication. Don't use them. They stall then delay and I still haven't got my lady's money!!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am highly upset, 2 of my friends donated $100 each anonymously and I saw it there and next day money was gone, I been trying to email and can’t get answers, I monitor my donations along with the emails I receive of donations and these 2 are missing, so are they stealing money from campaigns when they're anonymous? I am very upset because people work hard for their money & this issue is making me wanna take action.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I started a GoFund account when I needed a little money to keep from getting evicted. They suddenly closed my account, saying I was fraudulently getting money, which I most assuredly was not! They are attempting to take back every donation I received, overdrawing my account and as of today, not one of my contributors has received any money back. They refused to answer my emails about what happened. I think this is a scam, frankly.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I started a funding campaign for a dear friend who suffered a horrible house fire, lost everything. Fundraising went well, so my friend needed the funds. Site states one can choose between a check or bank withdrawal: wrong, only bank withdrawal. They wanted a voided check. Done. Then they wanted a bank statement (??). Done. Then they wanted 2 govt id's. (???). Done. Then they were "blurry." Resent. Then they wanted the backs of id's. Done. 3 weeks later, no withdrawals. They stall, and stall and stall. Don't use this site! I sincerely believe they are scammers, to people in the middle of crisis. I don't know how they sleep at night!!! Can't communicate with them. Their 5 minute email response is a joke. No phone number. Customer service is non existent. Use a different site.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I tried setting up a campaign but halfway through I got stuck at the 5% per donation charges taken by GoFundMe.com. I found the below statement on ConsumerAffairs website regarding GoFundMe, so I believe it to be true: "GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion." This means GoFundMe receives $200,000.00 everyday in charges from campaign owners. For a business to raise over $2 billion dollars (pocketing 5% or $100 million in campaign charges) with no physical phone number and a business address of a P.O. Box this seems a bit suspicious at best.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Autocrats with no dispute/grievance procedure - My campaign was a little of nothing, really; just wanting to raise money for matters quite trivial in comparison to what's been mentioned here. My account was suddenly closed with a notice telling me that their "payment processor" couldn't process payments; and my email was immediately banned. I was further advised that I would not be given any further information. I can't abide by the idea that a payment processor, in businesses for 100+ years and so widely trusted can't transfer funds from one account to another. I am confident that GoFundMe believes I violated their TOS; and there is absolutely no way to plead my case or even to be advised of what they believe I did or intended wrong. I stand accused, and obviously guilty, of some wrongdoing as far as GoFundMe is concerned. So don't be surprised if GoFundMe just slams the door on you for one reason or another and calls it good.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I received a note from my friend who said that she was unable to donate to my campaign and when she tried to donate received the following message: "There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign into GoFundMe and check their account."

I NEVER received any sort of message and my campaign, which is providing education for underserved teens in Compton, lost countless dollars. We are already underfunded and need every single penny. There was no phone number to contact them and two hours later, I am still awaiting for a response from the technical team. I am going to every consumer site I can to let people know they are better off going with Kickstarter.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I looked over the "How it works" before I set up a campaign, and nowhere did it say there were "Requirements" of any kind to get your campaign listed with them, just set it up. Once I did so, I could not find it on their site. I waited awhile since it could take time to index, two weeks later, nothing. I contacted them, and I was told it would not be listed unless I posted a link to it on my valid Facebook page. That is something I had no intention of doing and I think GFM knows this, that's why they keep it quiet. If they can get us to sign up we may do just as did and follow through with the unreasonable demand, like it or not, since I have already gone to all the trouble. If they disclose it all at first, we may not set it up. I have little doubt that is what's behind the lack of disclosure, but it doesn't end with that.

So I shared it with explanation of FB that I didn't like it but they required it. Several weeks later... Nothing... Not listed. I contact them and I'm told they don't list until we get a certain amounts of shares (Didn't say how many). So now they are forcing me to do more of what I never wanted to do, things that they knew I wouldn't want to do so that's why they hide the fact I had to do it. Now I'm essentially forced to show that I will make them more money before they will even bother listing me?? They actually do nothing, I could have posted it all on FB page so, in effect, all they are doing is taking our money. Most people can pay through PayPal so getting payment isn't a problem. Meaning their service is almost worthless as they do no promotion, and pretty much nothing but bait/switch, and trick you into doing what they want you to do... Make them more money.

After they added the second hidden stipulation I gave up. I mean I figured if I do that, what next? No listing until I do something else I don't want to do? I have to do a thousand shares or more to get listed? What else? I'll look into a site that's a little more honest and up front about the requirements so I'll know what I'm getting into first. People that don't give full disclosure and hide things so they can mess you around and make more money from you, are people I have to wonder what other dishonest thing will they do next? No thanks, GFM.

gofundme expert review by Rose Spinelli

GoFundMe, based in San Diego, launched in May 2010. Its users collectively raise about $4 million every day in varied categories such as education, medical, volunteer and emergencies. To date it has raised in excess of $2 billion. Some say it is the third most successful crowdfunding platform after Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

• Flexible requirements: GoFundMe doesn't require projects to have deadlines or to meet monetary fundraising goals. If a project does not achieve its goal, no penalty is imposed for missing it.

• Management tools: Users have easy access to tools such as page-view tracking and other campaign performance metrics.

• Mobility: The GoFundMe app makes the platform mobile-friendly. It also provides easy sharing on social networks, though users must have a Facebook account in order to show up in the site’s search.

• Five-minute support guarantee: The Customer Happiness team replies to emailed customer queries within five minutes.

• Fees: GoFundMe allows project creators to keep all money raised. It collects a relatively low 5 percent from each donation, with a third-party processor charging nearly 3 percent per donation plus a flat rate of 30 cents.

• Campaign types: GoFundMe has three campaign types: Personal Donation Campaigns are the most common and people can raise money for almost anything. Certified Charity Campaigns are for 501c3 nonprofits seeking this new revenue stream to further support their cause as part of their overall fundraising strategy. The third type is All or Nothing Campaigns. Supporters are only charged if campaigner reaches the funding goal.

• Best for: GoFundMe is best for individuals, non-profits and entrepreneurs who want choices between campaign types and responsive customer support.

Profile picture of Rose Spinelli
Rose Spinelli

Crowdfunding Contributing Editor

Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.

GoFundMe Company Information