Fonality Business Phone Systems
3.83/5
Based on 359 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Fonality Business Phone Systems

Fonality provides unified phone systems and applications for growing businesses. More than 25,000 businesses in 99 countries rely on Fonality to help them remove the friction that slows business momentum. Our customers select the deployment, voice connectivity and payment options that best meet their needs.

359 Fonality Business Phone Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Do not use Fonality. This company is the worst company, they are rude and incompetent. The service is terrible, the mobile technology is terrible, and the customer service is even worse. They never notified me in advance of my renewal. When I contacted them to cancel the process took over 1 week, at which point they threatened me with a $5600 termination fee (over 10 times the cost of my service excluding taxes). The company then auto-renewed my service. I tried contacting their billing department today and my call went to voicemail. DO NOT USE FONALITY!

Original review: July 21, 2017

I would agree with most reviewers that Technical Support at Fonality is awful and rude. Also, I was promised new switches as part of the deal but got End Of Life and Refurbished Cisco switches. My biggest complaint is with technical support though. The incoming calls in HUD completely reorder themselves after being put on hold. We are a Professional Service company so answering client calls fast is of utmost importance. Two calls to technical support and their answer to the incoming call order problem is just let the other calls ring while you answer them!!! There is a bright spot at Fonality and his name is Christian **. He is polite and very knowledgeable.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2017

We have had this piece of garbage for 5 years. We just heard today after 2 back to back "incidents" that we do not have enough bandwidth. Fonality NEVER will work with us talk with us or help us. I have never encountered rudeness like this EVER. Why would you not want to help someone who could hurt your brand? Just read a review that someone dumped the system after a few months? We are a small business and paid a small fortune for this system we can't just dump it. I said there must have been requirements to run this system. How could they not ensure we had enough bandwidth? Customer service is non-existent with this company. They work through distributors only, will not work with direct users. Distributors are questionable too.

Original review: March 2, 2017

We replaced Fonality after three months - by the end all calls were being dropped. They are also slow to port out numbers so we felt like we were held hostage. The functionality of their equipment was also disappointing.

Original review: July 31, 2016

Fonality offers good service and everything is great except they don't tell you they are unable to provide caller ID apparently from Canada. My caller ID says ** - our system number and it leads to a lot of unanswered calls. They won't call me back to discuss and were quite rude about it. So disappointing - we have had other providers with no issues with the caller id - we chose Fonality because we liked many of the features. Not sure what to do as they insist a correct caller id is not available - even though it was working correctly when the system first installed and then when we called to make a change all of this happened and now they won't talk to us about it. Terrible customer service. So disappointed.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Glenn, we appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We are very displeased to hear of your most recent experience and the issues stated. Unfortunately our Carrier Division does not support Outbound CNAM in Canada and it should have been properly expressed to you. This is a Feature that is only offered to customers who are on Connect Hosted Platform or Premise Flasheart PBXtra that uses Fonality VOIP as their VOIP Trunk. This is NEVER the experience we want any of our customers to have and we assure that we will be reaching out to obtain further details.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fonality?

Original review: July 12, 2016

Stay far, far away from this company's hosted phone service! We frequently experience dropped calls, ghost calls, slow connections and poor call quality. Each call to technical support results either in a different answer about the source of the problem or no answer at all. The Total Recorder does not record phone numbers if you work remotely. We have escalated this issue at least twice since March, and it still has not been fixed. We were over-billed for months for 2 licenses we never had, and we have had major issues trying to get credits to our account. Our salesperson was wonderful and responsive before the sale but rude and condescending afterwards. You have been warned!

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Carmella, we are very disappointed to hear of your experience and the many challenges you have noted in your review. This is never the experience we want for any of our customers. We have reached out to your account rep and will be in touch to see if there is any further action that needs to be escalated, as your account and the corresponding tickets reflect that support was given and all the technical problems with your system have since been resolved. Please know that your refund was issued for those seats expressed earlier this week. Our apologies if that was not relayed to you the day it was processed. We do appreciate that you took the time to provide your review and value your business. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide the necessary solutions for the issues you have experienced.

Original review: June 12, 2016

Our officemate was researching on the internet and found some good reviews on Fonality. We had a different system before and Fonality is a step above. We have enjoyed the service. The fax part is amazing and has allowed us to be more efficient in tracking and receiving our faxes. We use the phones every day for general office use, but we haven't used the system to its full potential yet because we haven't had time. We struggled with the training for it because there was a communication gap with the person who was giving us our training on the phone. He wasn't very fluent in English. The troubleshooting part was very difficult as well. We weren't able to get our questions answered and had to figure out on our own the last time we called.

Andrea this is GREAT!!!
    Thank you for sharing your feedback, not to mention than you for looking over the reviews!!! When you have a spare moment please feel free to check out our Fonality Academy training site. Classes cover setting up and managing your system with plenty of time for Q&A and we offer numerous options for time slots which will work well with your schedule.

Learn more here: http://www.fonality.com/support/fonality-academy

Original review: June 7, 2016

I have my Fonality for general office use. The caller i.d. is what's used the most around here. However right now we're having a whole lot of phone troubles. We have calls come in that we can't answer and calls that come in and go to certain extensions but not all of the extensions. Also Fonality lacks the feature so it can be used as a speaker system in the warehouse.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Thank you Peggy for sharing your feedback. We have forwarded your review with your Account Manger as well as our support managers and we will be in touch to obtain further information from you to ensure we resolve your extension issues that you are experiencing right away.

Original review: June 1, 2016

A business colleague referred Fonality to me. I use most of its features in monitoring my agents. I use the system for Customer assistance and outbound too. So far, I have their team's support when I ask and then they call in a nice way.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    Carlos we are so thrilled to hear that you were a referral to Fonality! That truly makes this review even better! Glad to see you are enjoying the features of your phone system and that our team is taking great care of you. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your experience.

Thank you!

Original review: May 31, 2016

Somebody my boss knew referred Fonality to him and that's how they got involved with our law firm in the first place. We were using Verizon and Comcast before and have just switched over to Fonality not that long ago. There have often been some issues like lost/interference with connectivity but we have more options on what we can do with Fonality such as recording calls - this could be used for training purposes.

Right now, we are still in the process of porting our numbers with Fonality. The phone system has a lot of different function, but we mostly use its HUD feature which enables us to send a quick note to somebody in the office. We could move our icons so people know that we're away and could also see if somebody's on the phone. Fonality also has a web-based HUF to keep us connected to the office even after office hours.

The process was a little dicey in the beginning - it was a little hands-on for us. Fonality sent us the equipment and we had to do the connection as well as learn all the features. There wasn't anyone local that was there to help so we interacted with their people through the phone. We had to schedule appointments for them to walk us through on the next steps and how to get things going. I think we'll give Fonality a year and see how it goes.

Mary Ann,

Thank you for your time to give Fonality a review. We are glad to hear that you and your team are using HUD and enjoying it. We have shared your review with your Account Rep and our installation team to ensure we have someone reach out to you to obtain a few additional details to see how we can improve upon the experience you have shared. Thank you again for your feedback our customers voices are important to us and appreciate your review.

Original review: May 29, 2016

I was having issues with 8x8 phone system so I decided to contact Fonality. I liked them better because of their HUD that really stood out to me as it was something that 8x8 wasn't offering at that time. The features of Fonality enhances the business. I use their HUD feature a lot and it does half of the calling process. It has the click to dial features so we don't need an outside dialing system. They have a whole lot of different avenues to use and have everything that we need for our employees in different states. My interactions with their team have been nothing but a pleasure. They're quick with assisting us anytime we go down and they always have a quick fix to most of my problems and so I love them.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    James we are so glad to have you as part of the Fonality Family!!

Thank you for your fabulous review! We Love you right back!!!

Original review: May 28, 2016

We’ve been with Fonality for a year and a half, but we haven't really been happy with it. It has a lot of issues at any given week such as connectivity. Also, the administrative side where calls can be directed is very convoluted and sometimes the setting that we have don’t necessarily work. We’ve made calls to customer service to have them help us with certain things that were never resolved. The HUD goes down. There are dropped calls. It’s really frustrating.

There’s a lot to be desired. If the whole thing worked well, it would be a great system, but there seem to be so many technical issues all the time. If anything goes wrong, I’m the one who has to deal with it. We sell boats here. We’re in Michigan so we only have a certain amount of warm season and there are parts of the year where we’re super slammed, like right now. Issues always seem to happen at the worst time. I have to take time away from what I’m doing to call customer service. I don’t have time to do my actual work because I’m dealing with the problems with the phone.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Jessica, we have reached out to your account manager as well as our support managers to ensure we get the proper solutions in place to resolve your issues. We never want our customers focus to be on their phone system. Being able to help customer issues such as yours is one of the reasons Fonality has taken such an investment in review sites. Thank you for your time to place a review for us.

Original review: May 22, 2016

We're a really busy Chiropractor's office and we have a lot of people calling. We've been a long-time user of CenturyLink/Qwest and we found the price was a lot more economical with the Fonality products and it was easier to install because it was an IP-based system. The feature that we like the best about the system is the panel where we can set up the ACD. So it's easy for us to make changes to the way the phones ring, etc. However, some calls drop or something odd happens and their customer support was a bit hard to understand. But generally, we're satisfied with it.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Fabulous review Larry! We love hearing that Fonality is an easy system to customize! We have sent a message to your account manager to reach out and obtain a few additional details so we can diagnose what is going on and ensure you do not have any further dropped calls.

Original review: May 13, 2016

I was looking for an IP voice system and found Fonality. I used two or three other other systems before but they weren't as good. Our Fonality system isn't in full use yet since we're still getting it set up right now. But so far, their customer service has been good.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

John thank you for your review. We are so excited to have you on-board!

Original review: May 11, 2016

We went through extreme distress with the system that we had before. One of my bosses went looking in the internet and came up with Fonality. We've been with them for nine years ever since. In terms of customer service, what happens is that they get a bunch of people trained so I know which ones are new when I get them on the phone, and so I bear through it. Then they get all trained up and everything's cool. The company has grown so much that they have to hire a new flock of people. So the cycle happens. However if I've got a real problem, I get back with my salesman and he gets an engineer on the phone and we get the thing fixed lickety-split.

The best part about Fonality is that, as the IT guy, I don't have to drive to each office to work on the server and take care of issues because I have access through the internet. We changed ISP for the last two years and Fonality is rock solid now. I've got a hosted server and we're transitioning to that, and there are all kinds of problems. Most of that is based on the fact that I can't focus on normal usage because my bosses want me to have users in both systems. Since that's not physically possible because I can't provision one phone to be in two phone systems at the same time, I'm busy trying to convince these two systems that they can talk to each other pleasantly without breaking either one. We're mildly successful but it's causing us to transition over to the hosted side quicker, but we're staying with Fonality.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Judy this is by far a wonderful review!!! (aside from you stilling having some problems). We have reached out to your rep to ensure we continue to help do any and everything possible to ensure your transition is as flawless as possible. We truly love everything you have expressed about Fonality and we are thrilled to have you as part of our family.

Original review: May 10, 2016

So far, Fonality has been fine. I've been happy with their service.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Thank you for your review Peter!

Original review: May 8, 2016

Fonality has the price and features we needed and wanted. We use it for general business use and our users report that the HUD is the part they like best.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Thank you for sharing your feedback Scott. Glad to hear that Fonality is a great fit not only because the features are great but the price is budget friendly.

Original review: May 6, 2016

We’ve had Fonality here since I’ve been working. We use the web-based admin a lot. We use the system mostly for in-house, inbound, and outbound calling. Our Fonality rep is very good and on-point, and he communicates with us. We talk to their support three to four times in a year and they're great. Overall, we had good experience.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Thank you for the review Andrea!!

Original review: May 5, 2016

We previously used Avaya which is an IP-based system but we're unable to do our call center with it. Then Fonality was recommended to me. We're using it for a call center and I use the HUD web. I like the visibility of the system better than what it used to be.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Keith that is great to hear!! We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the system.

Original review: May 3, 2016

So far, Fonality has been wonderful. We've had a good experience. The migration was very good as far as how prompt they were on getting back to us, what extensions were available, and which one seemed out of use allowing us to audit on our side. Support has been awesome. We use the inbound/outbound calls for the general office use and also the HUD for internal messaging for our HQ members. I've had zero issues with being able to communicate with people inside of the office. Working with other systems, Fonality has been very smooth. It was very intuitive walking in and being able to use all of the systems that were put in place.

Best Review Daniel!!!
    Thank you for your review on your Fonality experience. We are extremely glad to have you as part of the family!

Original review: April 30, 2016

I’ve been with Fonality for six years and they've been helpful. I’ve referred a lot of my clients to them because it’s one of the best packages available for small businesses.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    Ben you are the best kind of customer!!!

We appreciate you and the continued business. We are having your Account Rep. reach out to you asap so we can get you signed up for our referral program!

Original review: April 28, 2016

We have used several phone systems before Fonality. Customer service is about the same but Fonality's reliability is better. The system works well and does what we needed to do. We could find the same features elsewhere, but Fonality does a good job. I'm a satisfied customer.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

We appreciate your feedback Bill, and we are glad to hear you are liking your system. When you have a moment, please check out our Fonality Academy. Classes.You will learn so much about the many features your system has that are not offered anywhere other than with Fonality. The classes also walk you through how to manage your system with time for Q&A: http://www.fonality.com/fonality-academy.

Original review: April 27, 2016

I use the Fonality system for inbound/outbound customer service calls. Their salesperson and the installers have been great. Every time I email or ask them a question, they respond in a timely manner. They were very helpful and customer friendly. The Fonality system was recommended by a friend and compared with my previous provider, the previous one was a piece of crap.

FANTASTIC Bryan!!!

We are ecstatic about your review and more than thrilled to know that you were referred to us! Thank you!

Original review: April 25, 2016

I did some research online of a few different companies, had a conference call with all of them and ended up choosing Fonality. We had an in-house VoIP system before, which we provided and maintained ourselves. We just had the main line coming in from the phone company. Now with Fonality, I use the web-based admin most frequently. We majorly use its inbound and outbound Call Center feature for ourselves. Fonality has been pretty good about their uptime and 80-90% of their customer service and tech support staff have been pretty helpful. Overall, we’ve had a good experience with them even though it was rocky in the beginning.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    Thank you for taking the time to give us your review Michael. We are pleased to see that your research landed Fonality as the provider of choice. We would like to hear more about the thoughts you have on how we could improve the on-boarding experience.
    Would you mind shooting us a quick note to socialmedia@fonality.com

Thank you!

Original review: April 24, 2016

So far our experience with Fonality has been good. We haven't had any issues. We use the system for inbound and interoffice calling, and we frequently use the HUD. We just ordered a phone recently, but we haven't connected it because we don't have a computer with that station yet.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Jessica thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate the positive comments. Glad to hear you are frequently using HUD!

Original review: April 22, 2016

I needed a phone system. I had another one but it was an in-house PBX. We got the Fonality and we use it mostly as a phone.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    We appreciate your time to provide your feedback Christine.

When you have a free moment, you should check out our Fonality Academy training! Classes cover setting up, managing your system and all the capablitlites you have with your system. THere is also plenty of time for Q&A. Learn more here: http://www.fonality.com/fonality-academy

Original review: April 17, 2016

We had several different phone systems, with some being more business-oriented and some being just regular telephone lines coming into something as basic as cordless phones. I got in contact with Fonality because I was looking for a Voice over IP phone system. Their inter-office calling is what we use the most since our offices are spread across four time zones and users can just three-digit-dial one another. I also talk with Fonality's customer service on a regular basis to make sure that we have everything we need, everything is working and any issues we have are being addressed. And sometimes they call me just to make sure that I'm happy and everything's working as it should.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Thank you Paul for your Review!!!

Original review: April 12, 2016

Fonality is the system that we started using here in my work to get inbound calls. We frequently use the drag-and-drop transferring and conference room utilization. Fonality has improved our business overall.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response
    Thank you William for your feedback.

We are so glad to hear that Fonality has contributed to the success and growth of your business.

Original review: April 8, 2016

We have multiple different businesses and we use Fonality for our inbound calls. With their phone system, we can create call flow, greetings and logic, and customize call menu options for incoming calls. Their tech support is 24/7 which we love and they are very good. We work with their sales team on quotes and proposals and they’re responsive, easy to get ahold of, and seem to know what they’re doing. So it’s all been pleasant experiences with their team.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Todd this is fabulous to hear!! Thank you for your continued business and we hope that you will continue to let Fonality grow right along with your company.

Original review: April 4, 2016

We use our Fonality system mainly for receiving and sending calls but I don't like the dropped calls. We’ve messed with these dropped calls ever since we got their phone system. I’ve already spent hundreds of dollars on trying to get this one up and running smoothly and it’s still not working right, and now they want me to put in a new router for $200, which will cost me more money. We constantly talk to the people at Fonality and they’re professional, helpful and very friendly, but they never really resolve a lot of things. We used CenturyLink before using Fonality, and it is much better.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Jennifer, we are extremely sorry to hear of your continuing issue with calls being dropped. This is certainly not the experience we want any of our customers to experience. Your account manager has been notified of your feedback and expressed issue and will be in touch to form the proper solutions necessary to ensure we get this fixed as quickly as possible for you and your team. We do greatly appreciate you sharing the professionalism of our team and the interactions you have experienced when working with Fonality. We will continue to stay in touch till a resolution has been reached.

Fonality expert review by Ellen Muraskin

With more than 300,000 users, Fonality has one of the best retention rates in the business and a top-notch user interface for those who want to do more than simply call.​

• Affordable pricing: With three tiers of business service, buyers can pay for only the features they need and use.

• Accessible user interface: Fonality features web-based, heads-up display and mobile application.

• Call center features: Get all the features of a call center (call recording, call queues, performance reporting, etc.) without the call center.

• Drag-and-drop call management: Put calls on hold or transfer to another line, all at the click of a mouse.

• CRM integration available: This is included for the top two tiers of service.

• Best for: Small businesses and large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Fonality Business Phone Systems Company Information