Fonality Business Phone Systems
3.80/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Fonality Business Phone Systems

Fonality provides unified phone systems and applications for growing businesses. More than 25,000 businesses in 99 countries rely on Fonality to help them remove the friction that slows business momentum. Our customers select the deployment, voice connectivity and payment options that best meet their needs.

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

363 Fonality Business Phone Systems Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 9, 2019

Literally nothing about our experience has been enjoyable. I had to hand-hold their on-boarding staff through everything because they kept screwing up our configuration and failing to port all of our numbers. I was continually disappointed to find that the Fonality platform does not support a lot of useful features supported on our phones that other platforms support (i.e. Call Park with a status light so the receptionist can see a parked call on her phone). There are significant issues with the platform that did not become apparent to me during the demos.

The HUD is the web interface for using the phone system, which acts as a replacement for your hardware phone. They expect everyone to use the HUD. There are problems with the HUD that they have consistently failed to address where it actually routes calls incorrectly!! It has a drag and drop feature for routing calls to users. If you have two calls on the line and drag one on a user and drop it, it actually transfers the OTHER CALL. If you drag and drop a call while another inbound caller is calling in, it transfers the INBOUND CALL that has not yet been answered. This feature was made to do ONE THING and it does exactly the opposite.

They keep giving me different reasons why it doesn't work right while insisting it works fine on their end when they test it from their system. Then they shifted to saying they don't recommend using that function. That should tell you something about the professional competence of their programmers and engineers. You will get similar results on any significant issue, I speak from eight months of experience using this system. I could write several paragraphs about how horrible our experience has been, but honestly all I can say is to avoid this nightmare of never-ending issues and customer service disappointment. I literally have suffered a loss of respect in my job position because I made the choice to use this company. Everyone hates it.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Please do not sign an agreement with this pitiful company. In 6 months I've had 8 outages of phones lines that have affected my company. They won't let me walk away from the contract because they say they don't have any type of SLA. A phone company without any type of service agreement or standards? That's pretty pathetic. Avoid them.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I signed a 12 month contract in April of 2014. I have been trying to cancel for the last 20 months. The call center we have been speaking to has been playing games telling us we signed a 5 year contract, it wasn’t until I pulled my contract that they agreed to cancel. Now they are saying that the equipment I received 5 years ago was not free and needs to be returned and I am in the contract until I return it. I packed it up and they are insisting we return manuals, packaging, etc. This looks like it is going to turn into a legal battle. Don’t sign anything! It has auto renew and no one will be honest about it.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Do not use Fonality for your business phone and communication. Every time we get even the littlest storm the phone will stop working. Won't even turn on. We've went through multiple replacement devices. I will be switching to another company. The customer service is awful as well. Called for a replacement device and it has been over a week. You would think being a business they would understand the desperate need replace the phone as quickly as possible but they do not!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Do not use Fonality. This company is the worst company, they are rude and incompetent. The service is terrible, the mobile technology is terrible, and the customer service is even worse. They never notified me in advance of my renewal. When I contacted them to cancel the process took over 1 week, at which point they threatened me with a $5600 termination fee (over 10 times the cost of my service excluding taxes). The company then auto-renewed my service. I tried contacting their billing department today and my call went to voicemail. DO NOT USE FONALITY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fonality?

Original review: July 21, 2017

I would agree with most reviewers that Technical Support at Fonality is awful and rude. Also, I was promised new switches as part of the deal but got End Of Life and Refurbished Cisco switches. My biggest complaint is with technical support though. The incoming calls in HUD completely reorder themselves after being put on hold. We are a Professional Service company so answering client calls fast is of utmost importance. Two calls to technical support and their answer to the incoming call order problem is just let the other calls ring while you answer them!!! There is a bright spot at Fonality and his name is Christian **. He is polite and very knowledgeable.

Original review: March 21, 2017

We have had this piece of garbage for 5 years. We just heard today after 2 back to back "incidents" that we do not have enough bandwidth. Fonality NEVER will work with us talk with us or help us. I have never encountered rudeness like this EVER. Why would you not want to help someone who could hurt your brand? Just read a review that someone dumped the system after a few months? We are a small business and paid a small fortune for this system we can't just dump it. I said there must have been requirements to run this system. How could they not ensure we had enough bandwidth? Customer service is non-existent with this company. They work through distributors only, will not work with direct users. Distributors are questionable too.

Original review: March 2, 2017

We replaced Fonality after three months - by the end all calls were being dropped. They are also slow to port out numbers so we felt like we were held hostage. The functionality of their equipment was also disappointing.

Original review: July 31, 2016

Fonality offers good service and everything is great except they don't tell you they are unable to provide caller ID apparently from Canada. My caller ID says ** - our system number and it leads to a lot of unanswered calls. They won't call me back to discuss and were quite rude about it. So disappointing - we have had other providers with no issues with the caller id - we chose Fonality because we liked many of the features. Not sure what to do as they insist a correct caller id is not available - even though it was working correctly when the system first installed and then when we called to make a change all of this happened and now they won't talk to us about it. Terrible customer service. So disappointed.

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Glenn, we appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We are very displeased to hear of your most recent experience and the issues stated. Unfortunately our Carrier Division does not support Outbound CNAM in Canada and it should have been properly expressed to you. This is a Feature that is only offered to customers who are on Connect Hosted Platform or Premise Flasheart PBXtra that uses Fonality VOIP as their VOIP Trunk. This is NEVER the experience we want any of our customers to have and we assure that we will be reaching out to obtain further details.

Original review: July 12, 2016

Stay far, far away from this company's hosted phone service! We frequently experience dropped calls, ghost calls, slow connections and poor call quality. Each call to technical support results either in a different answer about the source of the problem or no answer at all. The Total Recorder does not record phone numbers if you work remotely. We have escalated this issue at least twice since March, and it still has not been fixed. We were over-billed for months for 2 licenses we never had, and we have had major issues trying to get credits to our account. Our salesperson was wonderful and responsive before the sale but rude and condescending afterwards. You have been warned!

Fonality Business Phone Systems response

Carmella, we are very disappointed to hear of your experience and the many challenges you have noted in your review. This is never the experience we want for any of our customers. We have reached out to your account rep and will be in touch to see if there is any further action that needs to be escalated, as your account and the corresponding tickets reflect that support was given and all the technical problems with your system have since been resolved. Please know that your refund was issued for those seats expressed earlier this week. Our apologies if that was not relayed to you the day it was processed. We do appreciate that you took the time to provide your review and value your business. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide the necessary solutions for the issues you have experienced.

Fonality expert review by Ellen Muraskin

With more than 300,000 users, Fonality has one of the best retention rates in the business and a top-notch user interface for those who want to do more than simply call.​

• Affordable pricing: With three tiers of business service, buyers can pay for only the features they need and use.

• Accessible user interface: Fonality features web-based, heads-up display and mobile application.

• Call center features: Get all the features of a call center (call recording, call queues, performance reporting, etc.) without the call center.

• Drag-and-drop call management: Put calls on hold or transfer to another line, all at the click of a mouse.

• CRM integration available: This is included for the top two tiers of service.

• Best for: Small businesses and large corporations.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Fonality Business Phone Systems Company Information