Call toll free
3.36/5
Based on 255 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2001, Flagship Merchant Services offers innovative transaction processing products and services to merchants. We have remained at the forefront of the industry due to expertise in and knowledge of today’s economy. We provide our customers unique programs and believe in the value that small to medium size businesses offer the marketplace. Accepting credit cards is an essential part of your business so it’s important you have a trusted provider.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

287 Flagship Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I was told Flagship was purchased by another company in October 2018. Beginning in November they started charging a "Month End Charge" (a minimum of $80) in addition to other fees regardless of sales. I am an extremely small catering company with minimal sales so upwards of $80 each month is a big hit to my earnings. I contacted customer service several times over the past few months in order to lower the fees. I was left on hold for over 30 minutes each time and nothing was ever accomplished. When I asked to speak to a manager on several occasions I was told that they were assisting other callers and would return my call as soon as possible.

Days would go by and I would have to call back only to be subjected to the same non-caring rude customer service reps who would give me every run-around imaginable as to why the fees were so high and why they held funds back from my account stating there were further fees upwards of $100 each time. This was one of the most upsetting and worst experiences I've ever had.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I just open a Merchant account with Flagship almost 3 weeks ago. The instructions came via email and the CC processor took approx 5 days to get to me. All communication between sales rep and technical support was good until I ran into problems setting up. The merchant act test deposit did not go thru and cc processor was not working. Chris from tech support told me that it might be than when setting up they might have missed or incorrectly enter a # and that he will have to call me back. That was week ago and no call, no email NOTHING!

I have become a pest calling daily and emailing daily both Chris and sales rep Casey and absolutely no answers back. Furthermore I call their 800 # and ask to speak to a supervisor...answer was they do not transfer direct calls to supervisors. I requested to speak to customer svcs and is the same run around. FLAGSHIP DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS AT ALL. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I sincerely hope that all C-level executives in this company serve jail time, that the company as a whole is taken down, and that each person working in it wakes up to the harm they're doing. Month one: I sign up for Flagship and discover the sales person drastically lied about all fees. They're more than double what I agreed upon. Sales person evades all calls and emails from there on out. Multiple conversations with representatives who tell lie upon lie about lowering your fees, to keep you hanging long enough to keep processing with them, but never return the promised call backs regarding fees. (a call back to this company = a lie they tell you to string you along) (note: long story why I stayed and let it get to the point below...)

Eventually I sign paperwork taking out a cash advance with their partner company. I agree to keep processing through them until the loan is paid off. Immediately upon taking this loan, they MORE THAN DOUBLE my (already doubled from originally promised) fees overnight. Countless hours spent trying to get them to reduce them, even worse lies and being strung along.

Until they discover I have stopped processing with them. Then they threaten a lawsuit against me. I insist I would like to pay, but I refuse to pay through processing at this point. They do everything they can to try to take me to court and collections, as opposed to just LETTING me pay the way I've asked to do. Each communication I have with someone within their company is met by disdain, complete disregard for humanity or compassion, making threats toward me, not listening to my countless attempts to bring some integrity to the situation, and causing chaos when I was asking to just get everything resolved.

It is evident that every person working within this company has bought into the fear based tactics. And it is evident that every single thing they do is intended to take as much as they think they can get away with without regard for the service they are claiming to provide. If anyone reading this would like to file a class action lawsuit, I'm 100% in.

Original review: March 1, 2019

How can they still be in business from scamming all these people. PEOPLE BEWARE. They will charge you $45 PCI Non-Action Fee, $119.00 Enhanced Security fee, $20 data protection bundle, $99 conversion Fee, $30.00 PCI Non-Action Fee. Scam artists at their finest. Will be contacting my lawyer, they better not send this to collections.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I just discontinued using Flagship Merchant services for my business. The rates started out low but climbed progressively higher over the course of a few years with no warning. Further - I was deceptively enrolled in a service that I never used that charged a monthly fee of $29.99. The fee was debited directly from my bank account along with other merchant fees with no statements or notice of enrollment. Customer service was terrible at addressing this matter - hold times are incredibly long and it took service reps over a week to properly address the matter. There are much better merchant providers out there. Do not be fooled by low introductory rates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagship Merchant Services?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I blocked iAccess Insights from taking monthly charges for optional service I didn't want for the last couple of years. Now, they decided to hold my funds for over one week because of that block. My bank and I have been on the phone with them, me many times. They insist on an official letter from my bank allowing for them to debit and credit my account which they've been doing for 5 years until they decided to hold my money. Now they're saying the letter is insufficient from my bank. I've requested that they send a sample letter with requirements they want included in it. They say they don't do that. Now they're asking for routing number, bank name, business name as well as my merchant account #, which is all they asked for yesterday. They do not want to release my money...basically. I'm consulting 2 lawyers at the moment. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Do yourself a favor as a business owner and stay FAR away from this company. It’s ok if you don’t fall into a problem (which is rare but the way). If you do just be forewarned that you will NOT receive customer support. All they do is transfer you to what it seems to be a non-existent department to handle support. It is super embarrassing when you have a client in front of you and you can’t come to a solution because the credit card processor that you pay for EVERY month does not answer! Awful!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Flagship Merchant services had been overcharging me for months. Anytime I would call they would have one reason or the other for the charges. I decided in November to cancel their services. I had read many review that pointed to the fact that cancellation was near impossible and they would keep charging your account. I spoke to Patrice on November 11, and she told me the account had been closed. I called again on November 29th and was told that Patrice never closed the account and I would need a closure form for that. They never emailed the closure form. I called several times after that, holding on for 45 mins to an hour.

Finally on January 7th I got a hold of them and was told they had sent the closure form to the wrong email address. For years they sent my PCI compliance form to the right email address, but the day I needed to close the account they formulated a new email address for me. They also charged me $183.90 even though their statement said: Amount submitted 0. Third party transactions 0. Adjustments/chargebacks 0. Fees charged - $183.90.

When I called to challenge this the representative was rude and poorly trained, once I informed him that I was going to record the conversation for the news media he got very fearful and terminated the call refusing to give his name. I am now going to call ABC, NBC, NPR and any other investigative news channel who is interested in fleshing out fraud. They need to be exposed for the charlatans that they are! I give them a ZERO star for being a fraudulent company!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

This company is not honest at all. Ended up paying $145 per month. I called to cancel been on hold for 45 minutes. When I finally got someone they said they would send over a cancellation email. Never received it. I am on the phone now as I am typing now. Been on hold for 20 minutes just to call back and tell them I have not received a cancellation email that you said you were going to send. Just ridiculous customer service. I hate that I even chose this company from the beginning. :(

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I signed up with Flagship for credit card processing 3 years ago. 2 years ago I got an email offering me access to a website for $29.99 which was supposedly voluntary. I noticed a charge for $29.99 in my bank account and called Flagship to decline the offer and request a refund. At first the rep I spoke to disputed the fact I was charged, saying I couldn't have been charged without accepting the offer. I told him I saw the bank to bank transaction with their phone number and I had told my bank to refuse the transfer which the bank had done and refunded the money. He told me he made not of my declining the offer and there would be no further charges. I didn't see any further charges until last month when the same charge again appeared on my account. I called the bank again and they told me they had been blocking the same charge every month for 24 months until the block expired.

I renewed the block and called Flagship. Turns out they were also charging me $19.99 a month on my statement for the same service which I had ignorantly overlooked for 24 months. I request a refund and I was told they couldn't do that because there was no evidence I ever declined the offer. They admitted I had never signed up or attempted to access the website but still, no refund. I finally spoke to a customer service rep who told me they'd refund 6 months, but when I told her I closing my account after the refund, she told me " if you cancel there will be no refund".

I wasn't about to be blackmailed so I told her ** and hung up the phone. I requested a closure form, got a new processor and submitted the form. Now I'm just waiting for Flagship to drop the next shoe and charge me some outrageous fee for closing. My advice, don't use them, but if you do get names, dates, numbers, email confirmation of all contact with them, watch your bank account closely and READ EVERY LINE OF YOUR MONTHLY STATEMENT!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This is one of the worst companies I've had to deal with in a long time. Bad customer service, they don't return phone calls, voice mails, or emails. Ever since I signed up with them, haven't been able to have anyone contact me back. They have however, tacked on an additional $34 a month fee which was not part of our original agreement. But when I call to inquire about it, I can't get in touch with anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I'm a small consultant business and have only had the need to accept a credit card twice in 2 years so I requested to discontinue the high rate of $110.89 each month for nothing! First I cancelled authorize.net and they told me to call Flagship and gave me the number. I called to cancel and talked to a rep. That's it. I thought the issue was done until I got a call from the accountant asking what the charge was. The bank only had an 800 number and it took me some digging to find out it was Flagship. NOW they are saying I never called, I never filled out a form (which I didn't even know about) and I'm out almost $1000!!! My revenue is on $25,000 for the year. Terrible company. Just TRY to find a number to call them... impossible right. Next I'm calling the Attorney General's office!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I am a 700+ --- worth around $2.5 million. I filed taxes for $500,000 in income last year. One of my businesses sold a car to a customer for $3,500 ---- they held the money. The idiot on the phone said they need to verify the charge. We send them a credit authorization signed by the customer, a credit card slip signed by the customer, a bill of sale signed by the customer and text message authorization with driver's license and photos of the credit card. THEY WON'T RELEASE THE MONEY until customer answers his phone! Maybe he never will! So he got a free car! We are consulting our corporate attorney and I hope to sue their pants off for as much damages as the lawyers will allow. Don't care what it costs. They cannot claim the charge is not valid. The proof is overwhelming that the customer authorized the charge.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Last year we opened a merchant account with Flagship Merchant Services for a brand new 501c3 Non-Profit Community Theater so that we could sell tickets for a fundraiser. The set up was horrible, my rep was non communicative and we fell behind schedule from the get-go. After getting set up with them, the coordinator set up the wrong account as we asked to use Authorize.net and he set up with a different company, so we continued after many days to be behind. Since we fell behind so badly, I had to change the date of the event. The event lost steam, performers couldn't make the new date and so we canceled the event. I explained all of this to the rep and asked for my account to be put on hold. He never told me of the continued monthly fees. Since this was literally the ONLY thing active on our bank account, I never went back to check the account thinking we were good until I reactivated it.

Well after seeing numerous charges, I asked to cancel the account and be refunded. I filled out the form in December but since they didn't accept the signature, I was billed all the way until April. We NEVER ONCE used the merchant services but racked up a grand total of $799.73 in charges. I have spoken with several customer service agents and they have been completely unhelpful. If I could report this company to the BBB or other agencies I would. DO NOT use them as they are snakes and their i-portal takes on another fee, so their percentages and monthly costs are not accurately reported or shared. They have great SEO so they pop up on everything, but they've really hurt a brand new Non-Profit significantly and since my wife has terminal cancer, this $800 was an enormous burden.

Original review: April 11, 2018

There are unknown and changing fees. Even when you cancel and pay $250 and return unused equipment they still keep charging you saying you didn't cancel your other account which no one tells you about. You should be able to close the account with your merchant number! Would not recommend to any business owners I know.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I've been using Flagship Merchant since October 2017 but it was not until I was preparing my taxes did I realize I was being completely ripped off by them. Things that are in your contract when using them but they wont tell you over the phone what that is. $30 PCI compliance fee (free with other providers). $25 website fee (that you automatically sign up for when signing your contract). A bunch of other crap. Then I canceled on March 20th and emailed back the cancellation letter and they're stating they never received it and charged me $63 this month. COMPLETE SCAM ARTISTS. Just pay square more and be done with it.

Original review: March 31, 2018

FLAGSHIP >> DON'T DO IT, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. I would give Flagship NEGATIVE FIVE stars if I could. This needs to be fixed for times when a company flat out steals from you. I give them zero > 00000000000 STARS!!! I started processing an application with Flagship to be able to accept credit or debit card payments on my phone when I sell at fairs.

I was told by the salesperson that the only charges were $5.00 to activate the account for a calendar month and if I started in the middle of the month it would only be good to the end of that calendar month. The other charge would be the percentage of the sale for the processing. NO AUTOMATIC CANCELLATION FOR NON-USE AND NO MINIMUM TRANSACTION REQUIREMENTS. Turn it on for a calendar month, or less, and turn it off as needed with a phone call.

I never used it and never activated the account, but Flagship felt it was OK to take $333.95 out of my bank account for no services at all.

As soon as it was realized it I stopped payment for all Flagship requests and shut off the account even though I never really turned it on. Didn't complete the application because it just didn't feel right. Contacted Flagship and complained and they said they would snail mail a form to fill out for a refund. Fill it out and sent it back. That was months ago and nothing came of it. Stay away from Flagship. Thieves and crooks. Times 1000!

Original review: March 13, 2018

At first Flagship appears to have your business needs at concern. But the salesperson Allan ** really is just a salesperson and knows little of what he is selling and how it will affect your business. In the CC merchant set up it is imperative to listen to the business profile in order to have a correct set up for your needs. My experience was very good until the merchant services were actually needed. Then the set up was completely incorrect. The MobilePay by iPayment which I was sold on is a foreign company and very hard to get customer service. The set up was very low on the limits and changing that is next to impossible with such needs as bank records and personal finance information.

THE Worst part is they will HOLD YOUR DEPOSIT till they research your clients and you on the very first use of MOBILEPAY then not allow any further use on merchant service till they review. This RISK review has now taken 30 days and I am unable to get payment of thousands of dollars in revenue and the people checking on RISK review are very slow and not communicative. It has stonewalled my cash flow and incapacitated my operations. Flagship has not been helpful in this process.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Been using their services and I am very unsatisfied with them. High fees. Customer service is almost non existing. Incredible long waiting times to speak with agent, dropped calls. Invoices are very unclear what are charges and fees for and what time period is being charged. I decided to cancel services which requires to fill a form and fax it to them which I did. I was told that it cannot be emailed. Then I was charged again for services and account I already canceled.

Called again. Waited again over an hour to finally agent telling me that request can be actually emailed in so I did with the proof of fax, then agent admitting that account was supposed to be closed. Promised to refund fees charged after the closure date. However they did not refund the Gateway fees because those are charged by different company that I had to call myself to request fees refund. Fortunately their customer service is way better and even without any proof that fee should have not been charged. They processed the refund.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Went to them for a lower processing fee. Explained my business and needs. My first sale was approved and not funded (was not aware they gave me a $400 maximum per customer per year) even though I explained my merchandise could run from $25 to $5000 per ticket. They refused to fund the sale and kept asking me for additional requirements even though I had a signature, address and phone for my customer. They refused to contact him because he was a Japanese and had number for Japan. Eventually I got fed up and asked that they refund the sale. I received his payment via PayPal. However they charged two processing fees, one for the "sale" and one for the refund. Cost me $130 plus a bit of embarrassment.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Terrible experience. Started out OK, but fees climbed in subsequent months - even in months with no activity, we were charged $95+ and then $122+. After calling in and receiving assurances that fees would be reduced for the future and a refund granted for non-activity months, they then claimed to have no record of my previous calls (despite my reference to the call date and individual rep). Ultimately refused to refund any fees, so we canceled the service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased $108 dollars worth of shoes, they sent them to me with two of the same shoes in the same boxes; I ordered a size 10 and got a size 10 but the shoes were smaller did not fit to size. I will never shop with this Merchant again. When I sent the shoes back the next day, I never heard back from this merchant. I had to go through PayPal claims department for them to get my refund. After weeks of not hearing from this merchant Wholesale Fashion Shoes finally e-mailed me to pick out more shoes because they do not give refunds. It took me 3 hours to pick out more shoes because they have less size 11 shoes.

Finally, I picked some shoes to get them back in the mail with the worse packing box torn up and shoes were not in the boxes. These shoes that had went through the mail and when they got to me they looked terrible. I refuse to send them back again because it cost me monies to send them, and they charged me when they have to send the shoes to me. This Merchant Wholesale Fashion Shoes is the worse place to shop and quality is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Run away from this company if you want to process cards and don't have surprises. Start with the fact that when I opened my account the sales rep had told me to process up to a certain limit and if I need higher limit I should call them and they will easily fix that. I did call them and not only they didn't fix that they also held to my funds for 6 month. Later I have asked more advanced equipment, paid for it and they have sent it to a different address. Now they do not want to either refund my money or send me new equipment. There are many other merchant processors who care about your business, choose them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We operate a small business and were looking for a way to accept credit and debit cards. Upon signing up we were told that the only fee was a per transaction fee. We asked so many questions that our representative became annoyed. My bill this month for NEVER using the service is $145.49. Please run run run from this company. They are not anything a small business would want.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When we signed up with Flagship we were assured fees of about 1.58% on swiped credit card transactions, and a very low (less than $1) on debit transactions. In fact, our monthly fees have been in the range of 4%, even when I include debit transactions. This means we are paying much more for credit transactions. When I print out our monthly statement, there is about a full page (in very tiny print) of all the tiny fees from seemingly endless companies taking a dip. End of the year we are switching to Square and will be done with Flagship. They are a bad deal. NOT recommended.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I signed up for Flagship lured in by their very low processing rates. What they neglected to MAKE CLEAR was that I would be charged exorbitant monthly fees for months where I had no transactions. They also did NOT make it clear that I'd have to be PCI compliant within the first three months or I'd be slapped with another exorbitant monthly charge. They may be fine for businesses with frequent usage, but not for the occasional transaction, which is where I fit. I would have saved hundreds (yes, HUNDREDS) of dollars with Square or PayPal, even with their significantly higher transaction fees, since they have ZERO monthly fees.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have no idea how this company has four stars, good luck getting a hold of anybody after you sign the contract... $119/yearly service fee, $40/mo non-compliance fee, $20/mo online statement fee, and bunch of other extras. I've found better rate and a lot lower fees with a major bank merchant services.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Flagship Merchant Services card processing equipment was not suitable for my business and I have never processed a single card through them. I contacted them to cancel the account and returned the card machine, all of this timely. Surprise! They charged a $250 cancellation fee to my checking account and despite several communications between me and the account rep, still no refund. Do not sign up for credit card services with Flagship Merchant Services!

Original review: July 28, 2017

I am a small merchant. Have used Flagship Merchant Services for their credit card service for many years processing credit cards online. Converted to a cloud based accounting which processed cards at a MUCH lower rate. Flagship increased their fees by 50% per month about the same time. I called in May to cancel and they said they needed me to fill out a form so I gave them my new email address. Email never arrived and later on I called back in as I was still getting billed. Finally got the email after several tries and filled it out and scanned and emailed it back. No chance they would take blame for the problem, so I am out over $100. My new processor is Stripe and fees are about 1/3 the cost. STAY AWAY FROM MERCHANT SERVICES.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Unfair business practice and dishonest charges: I had signed up for the service in December 2016 as a restaurant account. The email indicates that I will receive 2 pieces of equipment. I received a card reader right away but never received the 2nd equipment, which I have no idea what it was. I then called the sales rep and told her what happened. We have not received the 2nd equipment and nobody called us to set up the system. Finally I got a hold of her in Feb and she said she will work on it. I gave up and decided to stay with my current credit card processing company. Then another sales rep called me in March and ask me to connect their software with our POS system which is Aloha. Why would I trust them again since it has been 3 months that I signed up and they promised that the service can be up and running in 2 weeks.

Anyway, they started to charge me $82.90 and $11.15 which I have no idea what those charges are. The name on the charges was Merchant Bankcard Discount, which I thought was one of credit card companies. Then they charged me again in May for $82.90 and $36.15 again. In June, they charged me $201.90 which is not explained neither do they provide any service. Since their system was not set up in the beginning, there were no credit card processing done at all.

This month, they charge me $82.90 and $36.15 again. I called them and asked them what's going on. They kept transferring me to different department: sales to customer service to collection, in which nobody can really explain to me why they charge me. Then the person who called me in March emailed me the account closure form. I emailed him back in June and then I still got charged in July. I called them again, they said I have a second account which is for using their software. I asked them, "What software?" I will bring this issue to the Federal Trade Commission. As a small restaurant owner who works hard every day to pay bills and stay opened, I don't think it's fair for me to pay such charges.

Flagship Merchant Services expert review by Beverly Harzog

Since its beginning in 2001, this company is an established leader in the transaction processing industry. The company welcomes small and medium-sized businesses, but caters to big companies. Their top clients include Subway, Verizon, Mac Tools and Avon.

• Flexible contracts: Flagship acknowledges that companies have a variety of needs. Instead of long-term contracts, the company offers month-to-month plans, which have no cancellation fees. This can offer great value for companies like startups that want to get great service without breaking the budget.

• Free EMV/NFC terminal: Open an account and you don’t have to pay for a fully compliant and up-to-date terminal that processes both EMV and NFC. Restrictions may apply.

• Free credit card reader: Every Flagship account comes with a complementary mobile credit card reader to help businesses get started selling right away.

• 24/7 support: Dedicated representatives are always available for immediate merchant support.

• Don’t pay extra for American Express: They offer American Express processing at the same rate as Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

• Best for: Businesses of all sizes since they have flexible and customized plans for more personalized service.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Flagship Merchant Services Company Information