Call toll free
3.43/5
Based on 248 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2001, Flagship Merchant Services offers innovative transaction processing products and services to merchants. We have remained at the forefront of the industry due to expertise in and knowledge of today’s economy. We provide our customers unique programs and believe in the value that small to medium size businesses offer the marketplace. Accepting credit cards is an essential part of your business so it’s important you have a trusted provider.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

280 Flagship Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Flagship Merchant services had been overcharging me for months. Anytime I would call they would have one reason or the other for the charges. I decided in November to cancel their services. I had read many review that pointed to the fact that cancellation was near impossible and they would keep charging your account. I spoke to Patrice on November 11, and she told me the account had been closed. I called again on November 29th and was told that Patrice never closed the account and I would need a closure form for that. They never emailed the closure form. I called several times after that, holding on for 45 mins to an hour.

Finally on January 7th I got a hold of them and was told they had sent the closure form to the wrong email address. For years they sent my PCI compliance form to the right email address, but the day I needed to close the account they formulated a new email address for me. They also charged me $183.90 even though their statement said: Amount submitted 0. Third party transactions 0. Adjustments/chargebacks 0. Fees charged - $183.90.

When I called to challenge this the representative was rude and poorly trained, once I informed him that I was going to record the conversation for the news media he got very fearful and terminated the call refusing to give his name. I am now going to call ABC, NBC, NPR and any other investigative news channel who is interested in fleshing out fraud. They need to be exposed for the charlatans that they are! I give them a ZERO star for being a fraudulent company!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

This company is not honest at all. Ended up paying $145 per month. I called to cancel been on hold for 45 minutes. When I finally got someone they said they would send over a cancellation email. Never received it. I am on the phone now as I am typing now. Been on hold for 20 minutes just to call back and tell them I have not received a cancellation email that you said you were going to send. Just ridiculous customer service. I hate that I even chose this company from the beginning. :(

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I signed up with Flagship for credit card processing 3 years ago. 2 years ago I got an email offering me access to a website for $29.99 which was supposedly voluntary. I noticed a charge for $29.99 in my bank account and called Flagship to decline the offer and request a refund. At first the rep I spoke to disputed the fact I was charged, saying I couldn't have been charged without accepting the offer. I told him I saw the bank to bank transaction with their phone number and I had told my bank to refuse the transfer which the bank had done and refunded the money. He told me he made not of my declining the offer and there would be no further charges. I didn't see any further charges until last month when the same charge again appeared on my account. I called the bank again and they told me they had been blocking the same charge every month for 24 months until the block expired.

I renewed the block and called Flagship. Turns out they were also charging me $19.99 a month on my statement for the same service which I had ignorantly overlooked for 24 months. I request a refund and I was told they couldn't do that because there was no evidence I ever declined the offer. They admitted I had never signed up or attempted to access the website but still, no refund. I finally spoke to a customer service rep who told me they'd refund 6 months, but when I told her I closing my account after the refund, she told me " if you cancel there will be no refund".

I wasn't about to be blackmailed so I told her ** and hung up the phone. I requested a closure form, got a new processor and submitted the form. Now I'm just waiting for Flagship to drop the next shoe and charge me some outrageous fee for closing. My advice, don't use them, but if you do get names, dates, numbers, email confirmation of all contact with them, watch your bank account closely and READ EVERY LINE OF YOUR MONTHLY STATEMENT!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This is one of the worst companies I've had to deal with in a long time. Bad customer service, they don't return phone calls, voice mails, or emails. Ever since I signed up with them, haven't been able to have anyone contact me back. They have however, tacked on an additional $34 a month fee which was not part of our original agreement. But when I call to inquire about it, I can't get in touch with anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I'm a small consultant business and have only had the need to accept a credit card twice in 2 years so I requested to discontinue the high rate of $110.89 each month for nothing! First I cancelled authorize.net and they told me to call Flagship and gave me the number. I called to cancel and talked to a rep. That's it. I thought the issue was done until I got a call from the accountant asking what the charge was. The bank only had an 800 number and it took me some digging to find out it was Flagship. NOW they are saying I never called, I never filled out a form (which I didn't even know about) and I'm out almost $1000!!! My revenue is on $25,000 for the year. Terrible company. Just TRY to find a number to call them... impossible right. Next I'm calling the Attorney General's office!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagship Merchant Services?

Original review: May 9, 2018

I am a 700+ --- worth around $2.5 million. I filed taxes for $500,000 in income last year. One of my businesses sold a car to a customer for $3,500 ---- they held the money. The idiot on the phone said they need to verify the charge. We send them a credit authorization signed by the customer, a credit card slip signed by the customer, a bill of sale signed by the customer and text message authorization with driver's license and photos of the credit card. THEY WON'T RELEASE THE MONEY until customer answers his phone! Maybe he never will! So he got a free car! We are consulting our corporate attorney and I hope to sue their pants off for as much damages as the lawyers will allow. Don't care what it costs. They cannot claim the charge is not valid. The proof is overwhelming that the customer authorized the charge.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Last year we opened a merchant account with Flagship Merchant Services for a brand new 501c3 Non-Profit Community Theater so that we could sell tickets for a fundraiser. The set up was horrible, my rep was non communicative and we fell behind schedule from the get-go. After getting set up with them, the coordinator set up the wrong account as we asked to use Authorize.net and he set up with a different company, so we continued after many days to be behind. Since we fell behind so badly, I had to change the date of the event. The event lost steam, performers couldn't make the new date and so we canceled the event. I explained all of this to the rep and asked for my account to be put on hold. He never told me of the continued monthly fees. Since this was literally the ONLY thing active on our bank account, I never went back to check the account thinking we were good until I reactivated it.

Well after seeing numerous charges, I asked to cancel the account and be refunded. I filled out the form in December but since they didn't accept the signature, I was billed all the way until April. We NEVER ONCE used the merchant services but racked up a grand total of $799.73 in charges. I have spoken with several customer service agents and they have been completely unhelpful. If I could report this company to the BBB or other agencies I would. DO NOT use them as they are snakes and their i-portal takes on another fee, so their percentages and monthly costs are not accurately reported or shared. They have great SEO so they pop up on everything, but they've really hurt a brand new Non-Profit significantly and since my wife has terminal cancer, this $800 was an enormous burden.

Original review: April 11, 2018

There are unknown and changing fees. Even when you cancel and pay $250 and return unused equipment they still keep charging you saying you didn't cancel your other account which no one tells you about. You should be able to close the account with your merchant number! Would not recommend to any business owners I know.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I've been using Flagship Merchant since October 2017 but it was not until I was preparing my taxes did I realize I was being completely ripped off by them. Things that are in your contract when using them but they wont tell you over the phone what that is. $30 PCI compliance fee (free with other providers). $25 website fee (that you automatically sign up for when signing your contract). A bunch of other crap. Then I canceled on March 20th and emailed back the cancellation letter and they're stating they never received it and charged me $63 this month. COMPLETE SCAM ARTISTS. Just pay square more and be done with it.

Original review: March 31, 2018

FLAGSHIP >> DON'T DO IT, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. I would give Flagship NEGATIVE FIVE stars if I could. This needs to be fixed for times when a company flat out steals from you. I give them zero > 00000000000 STARS!!! I started processing an application with Flagship to be able to accept credit or debit card payments on my phone when I sell at fairs.

I was told by the salesperson that the only charges were $5.00 to activate the account for a calendar month and if I started in the middle of the month it would only be good to the end of that calendar month. The other charge would be the percentage of the sale for the processing. NO AUTOMATIC CANCELLATION FOR NON-USE AND NO MINIMUM TRANSACTION REQUIREMENTS. Turn it on for a calendar month, or less, and turn it off as needed with a phone call.

I never used it and never activated the account, but Flagship felt it was OK to take $333.95 out of my bank account for no services at all.

As soon as it was realized it I stopped payment for all Flagship requests and shut off the account even though I never really turned it on. Didn't complete the application because it just didn't feel right. Contacted Flagship and complained and they said they would snail mail a form to fill out for a refund. Fill it out and sent it back. That was months ago and nothing came of it. Stay away from Flagship. Thieves and crooks. Times 1000!

Original review: March 13, 2018

At first Flagship appears to have your business needs at concern. But the salesperson Allan ** really is just a salesperson and knows little of what he is selling and how it will affect your business. In the CC merchant set up it is imperative to listen to the business profile in order to have a correct set up for your needs. My experience was very good until the merchant services were actually needed. Then the set up was completely incorrect. The MobilePay by iPayment which I was sold on is a foreign company and very hard to get customer service. The set up was very low on the limits and changing that is next to impossible with such needs as bank records and personal finance information.

THE Worst part is they will HOLD YOUR DEPOSIT till they research your clients and you on the very first use of MOBILEPAY then not allow any further use on merchant service till they review. This RISK review has now taken 30 days and I am unable to get payment of thousands of dollars in revenue and the people checking on RISK review are very slow and not communicative. It has stonewalled my cash flow and incapacitated my operations. Flagship has not been helpful in this process.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Been using their services and I am very unsatisfied with them. High fees. Customer service is almost non existing. Incredible long waiting times to speak with agent, dropped calls. Invoices are very unclear what are charges and fees for and what time period is being charged. I decided to cancel services which requires to fill a form and fax it to them which I did. I was told that it cannot be emailed. Then I was charged again for services and account I already canceled.

Called again. Waited again over an hour to finally agent telling me that request can be actually emailed in so I did with the proof of fax, then agent admitting that account was supposed to be closed. Promised to refund fees charged after the closure date. However they did not refund the Gateway fees because those are charged by different company that I had to call myself to request fees refund. Fortunately their customer service is way better and even without any proof that fee should have not been charged. They processed the refund.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Went to them for a lower processing fee. Explained my business and needs. My first sale was approved and not funded (was not aware they gave me a $400 maximum per customer per year) even though I explained my merchandise could run from $25 to $5000 per ticket. They refused to fund the sale and kept asking me for additional requirements even though I had a signature, address and phone for my customer. They refused to contact him because he was a Japanese and had number for Japan. Eventually I got fed up and asked that they refund the sale. I received his payment via PayPal. However they charged two processing fees, one for the "sale" and one for the refund. Cost me $130 plus a bit of embarrassment.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Terrible experience. Started out OK, but fees climbed in subsequent months - even in months with no activity, we were charged $95+ and then $122+. After calling in and receiving assurances that fees would be reduced for the future and a refund granted for non-activity months, they then claimed to have no record of my previous calls (despite my reference to the call date and individual rep). Ultimately refused to refund any fees, so we canceled the service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased $108 dollars worth of shoes, they sent them to me with two of the same shoes in the same boxes; I ordered a size 10 and got a size 10 but the shoes were smaller did not fit to size. I will never shop with this Merchant again. When I sent the shoes back the next day, I never heard back from this merchant. I had to go through PayPal claims department for them to get my refund. After weeks of not hearing from this merchant Wholesale Fashion Shoes finally e-mailed me to pick out more shoes because they do not give refunds. It took me 3 hours to pick out more shoes because they have less size 11 shoes.

Finally, I picked some shoes to get them back in the mail with the worse packing box torn up and shoes were not in the boxes. These shoes that had went through the mail and when they got to me they looked terrible. I refuse to send them back again because it cost me monies to send them, and they charged me when they have to send the shoes to me. This Merchant Wholesale Fashion Shoes is the worse place to shop and quality is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Run away from this company if you want to process cards and don't have surprises. Start with the fact that when I opened my account the sales rep had told me to process up to a certain limit and if I need higher limit I should call them and they will easily fix that. I did call them and not only they didn't fix that they also held to my funds for 6 month. Later I have asked more advanced equipment, paid for it and they have sent it to a different address. Now they do not want to either refund my money or send me new equipment. There are many other merchant processors who care about your business, choose them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We operate a small business and were looking for a way to accept credit and debit cards. Upon signing up we were told that the only fee was a per transaction fee. We asked so many questions that our representative became annoyed. My bill this month for NEVER using the service is $145.49. Please run run run from this company. They are not anything a small business would want.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When we signed up with Flagship we were assured fees of about 1.58% on swiped credit card transactions, and a very low (less than $1) on debit transactions. In fact, our monthly fees have been in the range of 4%, even when I include debit transactions. This means we are paying much more for credit transactions. When I print out our monthly statement, there is about a full page (in very tiny print) of all the tiny fees from seemingly endless companies taking a dip. End of the year we are switching to Square and will be done with Flagship. They are a bad deal. NOT recommended.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I signed up for Flagship lured in by their very low processing rates. What they neglected to MAKE CLEAR was that I would be charged exorbitant monthly fees for months where I had no transactions. They also did NOT make it clear that I'd have to be PCI compliant within the first three months or I'd be slapped with another exorbitant monthly charge. They may be fine for businesses with frequent usage, but not for the occasional transaction, which is where I fit. I would have saved hundreds (yes, HUNDREDS) of dollars with Square or PayPal, even with their significantly higher transaction fees, since they have ZERO monthly fees.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have no idea how this company has four stars, good luck getting a hold of anybody after you sign the contract... $119/yearly service fee, $40/mo non-compliance fee, $20/mo online statement fee, and bunch of other extras. I've found better rate and a lot lower fees with a major bank merchant services.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Flagship Merchant Services card processing equipment was not suitable for my business and I have never processed a single card through them. I contacted them to cancel the account and returned the card machine, all of this timely. Surprise! They charged a $250 cancellation fee to my checking account and despite several communications between me and the account rep, still no refund. Do not sign up for credit card services with Flagship Merchant Services!

Original review: July 28, 2017

I am a small merchant. Have used Flagship Merchant Services for their credit card service for many years processing credit cards online. Converted to a cloud based accounting which processed cards at a MUCH lower rate. Flagship increased their fees by 50% per month about the same time. I called in May to cancel and they said they needed me to fill out a form so I gave them my new email address. Email never arrived and later on I called back in as I was still getting billed. Finally got the email after several tries and filled it out and scanned and emailed it back. No chance they would take blame for the problem, so I am out over $100. My new processor is Stripe and fees are about 1/3 the cost. STAY AWAY FROM MERCHANT SERVICES.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Unfair business practice and dishonest charges: I had signed up for the service in December 2016 as a restaurant account. The email indicates that I will receive 2 pieces of equipment. I received a card reader right away but never received the 2nd equipment, which I have no idea what it was. I then called the sales rep and told her what happened. We have not received the 2nd equipment and nobody called us to set up the system. Finally I got a hold of her in Feb and she said she will work on it. I gave up and decided to stay with my current credit card processing company. Then another sales rep called me in March and ask me to connect their software with our POS system which is Aloha. Why would I trust them again since it has been 3 months that I signed up and they promised that the service can be up and running in 2 weeks.

Anyway, they started to charge me $82.90 and $11.15 which I have no idea what those charges are. The name on the charges was Merchant Bankcard Discount, which I thought was one of credit card companies. Then they charged me again in May for $82.90 and $36.15 again. In June, they charged me $201.90 which is not explained neither do they provide any service. Since their system was not set up in the beginning, there were no credit card processing done at all.

This month, they charge me $82.90 and $36.15 again. I called them and asked them what's going on. They kept transferring me to different department: sales to customer service to collection, in which nobody can really explain to me why they charge me. Then the person who called me in March emailed me the account closure form. I emailed him back in June and then I still got charged in July. I called them again, they said I have a second account which is for using their software. I asked them, "What software?" I will bring this issue to the Federal Trade Commission. As a small restaurant owner who works hard every day to pay bills and stay opened, I don't think it's fair for me to pay such charges.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 9, 2017

I was pretty much told what I wanted to hear by the salesman in order to sign up. After the very time consuming process, I had an account. It didn't appear to be as advertised per the phone reps promises. Not integrated at all, they wanted me to have 3 or 4 different logins to different websites, no way to create invoices, etc. They clearly sold my information to others as I have received non-stop solicitations since signing up. The sales rep stopped returning emails when I told him I wanted to cancel. Information about how to cancel doesn't appear anywhere. I had to call and was told to sign a closure authorization, which I did. It took them about 2 weeks after that to actually close the account. Now, 2 weeks later, they are again debiting my account. The only way to get rid of this highly shady company is to call your bank and block payment. I should say I never actually processed a payment with them. I was afraid to based on what I saw. Steer clear.

Original review: June 6, 2017

We used Flagship Merchant Services and tried to cancel that service for close to two years, and they kept billing us illegally. Then they supposedly had an audit of their books and found that we owed the $90.90 that they couldn't post to our account, namely because we cancelled them out (finally). So what do they do? Instead of calling or emailing us they turn it over to a collection agency - for $90.90! We paid the agency, reluctantly, and contacted the BBB and other agencies. And if we receive ANYTHING ELSE from this poor excuse for a company we will file suit! And you can be certain that one of our partners who is an attorney would love to file against them! That is after we report them to the online complaint bureaus!

Flagship Merchant Services response

This has been handled through BBB.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Please run and run fast, this company will put you out of business. They operate under Flagship Merchant and Credit card processing. Less than a month of doing business with this company they froze my acct with help over 20k and their reason was because I was a new customer. They refuse to return call and emails. After doing some online research in attempt to figure out what can I do, I discovered this is a common practice for them.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Flagship is a shady operator. If you use Flagship, keep an eye on your statement. They'll take money out of your pocket all day long when you're not looking. They charge $7.95/month for a statement fee even though it's electronic. (Pay double if you want paper.) I've found "additional fees" line items for over $100. They even automatically enrolled us for a Company.com business suite for $19.95/month. They don't ask you to opt in. You have to catch them so that you can opt out. This is an untrustworthy business that's looking to profit on you in any way possible. Most of this BS you can get removed from your bill, but who wants to spend an hour on the phone every month clearing up their bill?!?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Contacted FMS regarding card processing, a very pleasant young man seemed eager to help and had me go through a lengthy sign up process with him. I was told I'd hear back "in a day or so". Days go by and I hear nothing. He has asked for me to email a voided check from my business account to verify that the account as in fact held under the business name - despite me already have a business license, a federal and state tax id number assigned and having a certificate of good standing as a registered LLC. Explained I hadn't received my checks yet, the account was still new. He said when I got them to email it to him directly, but never provided the address, everything I had received so far with links was from a general FMS account address.

Also despite their clearly publicized offer for a free chip card reader, I was told there would be a fee for the device and that I needed to provide a credit card number for it to be charged to. I agreed, since my opening day was approaching and being a service based business, wanted a method to record client payments better instead of just cash- a method IRS frowns upon.

Through no fault of mine or the banks, the check order was delayed - I contacted the rep and asked what else could I provide to get this moving in a timely fashion. First he stated I needed to complete account set up functions over again, some glitch on their end. Then he said that a letter from my bank or monthly statement (again, new account, no statement issued yet) would work, as long as it had confirmation of the business name on the account with the routing and account number. He gave me with direct email address this time and confirmed he would contact me as soon as the image came through- I was nervous about just emailing such sensitive information. That was a full week ago.

No confirmation, by email or phone, the document was received or acceptable. I left messages by phone and email asking for follow up and to let them know that the delayed checks had arrived - no response whatsoever, even though I said I was working on a deadline to opening day and if I needed to look into getting another provider, then I needed to do so soon. Nothing but crickets. As I couldn't even verify that the routing and account number went to the correct person, I had to file a fraud warning on my accounts today, and sent a notice to FMS that I no longer had any interest in doing business with them.

I know I'm just a very small, new business, but I should be treated with respect and courtesy. Every successful endeavor started small. Their company risks virtually nothing- funds they process are not loans or grants or gifts, they are money I earned from clients, that they receive a percentage of for handling the transaction. There are plenty of other companies that don't charge any monthly fees or terminal costs and actually willing to treat me as an asset, not an inconvenience. I went with Paypal instead. I was up and running with them in minutes. Would not recommend FMS for small businesses.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

My account was not set up correctly, amount too small. People I talked to, sales rep and risk dept, would not respond to emails or phone when my payment was not posting and trying to get limit changed. Said it would be posted 2/21 and finally got them on the phone 2/22 late afternoon, and still nothing. Held up $3800.00 for days and still do not have it. Finally started processing while I was on phone. Have to wait until they contact customer to verify. What if they are on vacation? They are on top of things when they want your business and then good luck. Some of the worst customer service ever had, and that is saying a lot.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

First of all I was excited to do business with Flagship Processing. It seemed to be the best option if you don't know anything about credit card processing and use their website as a guideline. If anyone is interested I can show you my processing fees, annual fees, etc. that I was charged, which I just accepted that part and ignored it as part of doing business, which is what they are counting on.

I have literally had the equipment 4-5 months and have an issue monthly and they generally go into their little help book and walk YOU through what to do and what to change to make it work. It typically works about a month then it starts over except this time they couldn't fix it and said it was my internet, which they say each time and it's not, then they try and fix it, except now it's my internet because they couldn't fix it. I called to cancel with their hassle free cancellation and found out that it's not really hassle free and in fact there is a $250 cancellation fee.

Again look at the front page of their website. I'm going to assume I probably signed something or agreed to it, but it hasn't been provided. I'm certain that I wasn't told about it and just signed off on it via website and missed it. I called one more time to speak with a Supervisor and got Christine who don't own the company but initially stated she didn't have a supervisor and the buck stopped there, but eventually said she would have her supervisor call me so we will see if that really takes place.

Long story short and I should know better, but read the fine print, ignore the website because based on my experience it don't even sound like the same company. This company could be a little more transparent but if they were they probably wouldn't have quite as much business as they currently have. Win win for them, they will get the annual fees, monthly fees, per swipe fees and $250 if you cancel.

I am very dissatisfied, disappointed as much at myself as them that I got tricked into the scam quite honestly in my opinion. I have tried to get the thing fixed, I have tried to work it out with them. I had no other option, but they don't care, it don't matter. They have no other options according to Christine. Christine did her best to push me off but persistence at least got her to commit to have her boss call. Again it hasn't happened yet. I will post on every website I can think of to ensure I alert the public to my experience including BBB. I see there are some that are happy with it and that's great. I'm glad they have had a good experience, but you will find out if you sign up... Good luck.

Flagship Merchant Services expert review by Beverly Harzog

Since its beginning in 2001, this company is an established leader in the transaction processing industry. The company welcomes small and medium-sized businesses, but caters to big companies. Their top clients include Subway, Verizon, Mac Tools and Avon.

• Flexible contracts: Flagship acknowledges that companies have a variety of needs. Instead of long-term contracts, the company offers month-to-month plans, which have no cancellation fees. This can offer great value for companies like startups that want to get great service without breaking the budget.

• Free EMV/NFC terminal: Open an account and you don’t have to pay for a fully compliant and up-to-date terminal that processes both EMV and NFC. Restrictions may apply.

• Free credit card reader: Every Flagship account comes with a complementary mobile credit card reader to help businesses get started selling right away.

• 24/7 support: Dedicated representatives are always available for immediate merchant support.

• Don’t pay extra for American Express: They offer American Express processing at the same rate as Visa, MasterCard and Discover.

• Best for: Businesses of all sizes since they have flexible and customized plans for more personalized service.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Flagship Merchant Services Company Information