Email tracking software is used by businesses to validate email addresses and determine what happens to the emails they send, including whether or not they are sent to spam. Email tracking is available as part of a larger software package, an app or a plugin, and it can be incorporated as part of a full CRM system. Interested consumers can usually request a free demo of email tracking software to walk through it and see exactly how it functions.
Top 10 Best Rated Email Tracking Software
Outreach provides account-based sales communication systems for a variety of industries. Headquartered in Seattle, WA, the company works with small and large businesses, including Adobe, Zillow and Glassdoor. Call for a quote.
|Read 8 Reviews|
ToutApp is a sales platform that integrates with common CRMs to monitor activity, automate sales campaigns and help businesses optimize their sales practices. Prices start at $49 per user per month.
|Read 5 Reviews|
Yesware is an email productivity app for salespeople that integrates with Salesforce. Businesses can choose from a range of package options, depending on which features they need. Prices start at $12 per user per month.
|Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2011, SalesLoft is known as the fastest growing SaaS company of all time. Their platform allows for email tracking, account-based sales development and automated features such as automated dialing.
|Read Expert Review|
Cirrus Insight is a plugin for Google and Outlook that brings the core features of Salesforce directly to your inbox. Sales teams can sync up past and current emails and calendars. Prices start at $19 per month per user.
|Read Expert Review|
Considered to be the pioneer in inbound marketing, Hubspot Sales is an all-in-one sales and marketing tool that works with Gmail, Outlook and your CRM system to streamline your sales process. Prices start at $200 per month.
ClearSlide is an award winning SaaS-based platform headquartered in San Francisco, California. Their platform is especially useful for sales and marketing businesses and individuals. Prices start at $35 per month per user.
|Read Expert Review|
Velocify is a CRM platform that can optimize the sales cycle for sales teams of all sizes around the country in many industries. Prices start at $60 per user per month.
|Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2010 and headquartered in Paris, France, IKO Systems is a B2B prospecting software that optimizes the sale cycle and makes your sales team more productive and efficient. Prices start at 1,000€ per month.
|Read Expert Review|
LiveHive is a sales acceleration platform that helps sales teams learn their best practices and make the sales cycle more efficient. Their features are customizable, so businesses can get exactly what they need. Call for a quote.
|Read Expert Review|
What features matter most?
One main reason for using email tracking is to keep tabs on analytics so you can figure out which sales approaches do and don’t work best for your company. Knowing which analytics you should be examining is important for successfully utilizing your email tracking software.
- Clickthrough rate: Your clickthrough rate is important because it lets you know how people are engaging with your emails. It tells you how many people clicked on one or more links in a given email. This gives you the ability to analyze how well every single email you send is received. Over time, you can use this data to determine your overall clickthrough rate and make adjustments based on which emails had higher clickthrough rates than others.
- Conversion rate: The conversion rate is the percentage of email recipients who performed your call to action (CTA) within your email, whether that CTA is filling out a lead form, buying a product or downloading an e-book.
- Bounce rate: Bounce rate for emails is the percentage of emails that were undeliverable because the inbox is too full, the recipient’s server is experiencing a problem or the email address is invalid.
- Email sharing rate: How often your email is shared and/or forwarded is an important but often overlooked metric. Tracking this can help you find new leads. It can also be useful for salespeople, particularly when an email is forwarded to a decision maker.
Most email tracking software can easily integrate with your existing email and/or CRM software.
- Google: Google integration entails Gmail and Google apps. It might also involve an app available from Google’s app store. Gmail is so widely used that all the major email tracking software companies connect with it.
- Outlook: Many email tracking software systems integrate easily with Microsoft Outlook. Some require a few extra steps when using Outlook as opposed to Google.
- CRM: If you are using CRM software outside of Google and Outlook, you will want to make sure it will integrate with your email tracking system. You can find this information out from the software’s website or by calling them.
- Salesforce: Many email tracking software companies integrate with Salesforce, which is vital for sales teams. This integration allows you to utilize Salesforce from your inbox.
Email tracking can be free, or it can cost up to $50 a month. How much you will pay for your email tracking will depend on your purpose and the amount you will use it.
- Free: Many email tracking software products can be downloaded for free as an app or plugin. Free versions are usually available for individual users who track a limited number of emails. Look for a free option if you are an individual salesperson or a startup.
- Mid-priced: Users who want email tracking for unlimited users and unlimited emails, but no other features, can expect to pay $10-$20 per month per user.
- Enterprise: Users who want an enterprise plan will be looking for unlimited users, unlimited emails and added features such as email merge, collaboration and in-CRM calling. Prices for enterprise plans can vary but tend to range between $30-$50 per user per month.
Your email tracking software should offer customer support to answer your questions and concerns. Look for a company that will be open when you are so you don’t need to wait for your questions to be answered.
- Phone: Phone support is usually limited to business hours or extended business hours. This type of support might not be available 24 hours a day or on weekends, so check ahead of time, especially if you are a business that works on weekends and during off hours.
- Chat: Chat support offers instant feedback and can be useful for answering questions that are not very involved. This feature might also have limited hours, though.
- Email: Email support works similar to chat support, but it might take longer to hear a response.
- Resources: Many software companies offer resources on their websites that can help you figure out which email integration software you need and help you troubleshoot problems. These are available for free, so look around different websites to find the information you need to make the most of your email tracking software.
Email tracking software often offers additional features that can optimize your sales team and increase productivity.
- Syncing: Having the ability to sync your team’s emails, presentations and calendars can make it easier to keep track of sales and figure out which approaches work best for your clients.
- Customizable emails: A customizing feature makes it easy for you to personalize your batch emails by adding details that are relevant for individual clients and prospects.
- Lead generation: Some software includes lead generation by capturing the email addresses of prospects who engage on your website.
- Email scheduling: Email tracking software can have the feature of scheduling emails days, weeks or even months ahead of time. This makes it easier to stay organized and ensure prospects receive emails exactly when you want them to.
- Phone: Companies who want to log calls and emails in one place will want to look for email tracking software that includes a call feature.
Email tracking is used by teams and individuals in several industries that use email to communicate with prospects and clients, as well as industries that can benefit from tracking whether or not an email has been opened and read.
- Sales: Sales teams in many industries use email tracking to determine which of their emails were read and whether or not they were forwarded. They can determine which emails were more successful when they review their analytics.
- Real Estate: Realtors use email tracking to reach out to prospects and adjust their campaigns. Because they are often on-the-go, an email tracking software that is available as an app is especially useful.
- Higher education: Professors may find email tracking to be useful when they email students to determine whether or not they have opened critical emails and documents.
- Marketing: Marketing teams use email tracking to automate email lists and analyze which subject lines get the best response rate. Marketing teams often send batch emails, and email tracking software can save them time and money while also providing useful analytics that can improve their practices.
What are different types of email tracking software?
Free email tracking is available as a browser extension or plug-in, which anyone with Internet access can enable to add a tracker to their email. This is the simplest and most cost-effective way to track email, but it might not be ideal for larger businesses.
Email tracking is available on apps for email and/or mobile devices. Check your current email provider to see if email is automatically set as a default. If you don’t currently have an email tracking app, you can find one on your device’s app store.
Some, but not all, CRM software includes email tracking. If yours does not, it’s easy to find an email tracking software that will integrate with it.
Mass/batch mailing systems
Many companies use batch mailing systems to send a large quantity of emails at once, whether for marketing purposes or to send newsletters or other updates. This software tends to include a tracking feature, which lets the sender determine the percentage of the emails that are opened along with the amount of times embedded links were clicked.
Who's it for?
Businesses who send marketing emails and/or sales emails will want to use an enterprise plan of email tracking software. Look for one that includes collaboration so your whole team can sync emails, calendars and analytics.
Freelancers and job seekers
Anyone seeking a job and/or freelancing can use email tracking to see if their resumes or pitches have been read. These individuals will likely want a free plugin or app since they won’t be tracking hundreds of emails a month.
Professors can benefit from knowing whether or not their students are reading their emails. Universities will want a plan that allows for unlimited users, while individual academics will likely be ok with a free app or plugin.
Any individual with Internet access and email can set up tracking for any reason. Many apps and plugins allow users to turn tracking on and off, so individuals can pick and choose which emails they track.
Outreach provides sales teams with an account-based sales communication system. The company was founded in 2013 and has offices in Seattle, WA and State College, PA.
- Best for Outreach is best for businesses of all sizes.
ToutApp is headquartered in San Fransisco, CA. The company aims to enhance the sales process for salespeople in a wide variety of industries. Along with email tracking, ToutApp offers businesses time-saving features such as email templates and direct integration with your email and phone.
- Best for ToutApp is best for businesses of all sizes.
Founded in 2011, Yesware has headquarters in Boston and San Fransisco. Their product is designed to save businesses time with email tracking, automated features, analytics and more. Their active blog, called “The Exchange,” includes up-to-date information and discussions. Yesware representatives respond to comments efficiently.
- Best for Yesware is best for sales teams and individual sales representatives.
SalesLoft was established in 2011 and released in 2012. It is a complete sales prospecting platform. Features include email tracking, customized batch emails and automated sales dialing. The company is known as the fastest growing SaaS company of all time.
- Best for SalesLoft is best for individual sales representatives and businesses with sales teams.
Founded in 2011, Cirrus Insight is a plugin for Google and Outlook that brings the insight of Salesforce directly to your inbox. They have over 350 expert referral and reseller partners worldwide, including the recently added Tech Data Corporation.
- Best for Cirrus Insight is best for individual sales representatives, businesses with a salesforce and nonprofit organizations.
Considered the pioneer in inbound marketing, Hubspot was founded in 2006 by two MIT graduates. Hubspot Sales is an all-in-one marketing and sales solution for businesses that can be accessed by businesses for free.
- Best for Hubspot Sales is best for startups, small businesses, sales teams and individual sales representatives.
ClearSlide was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in San Fransisco, California. Their product is a sales and marketing platform that integrates with leading CRM systems. Customers who use ClearSlide include SurveyMonkey, BuzzFeed, LinkedIn and LexisNexis.
- Best for ClearSlide is best for businesses of all sizes.
Velocify was founded in 2004 and is a web-based CRM platform that helps sales teams with productivity, organization and management. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California and works with businesses across the United States.
- Best for Velocify Pulse is best for small and medium-size businesses with sales teams.
IKO System is headquartered in Paris, France and was founded in 2010. The company is a B2B prospecting software dedicated to helping sales teams improve their processes and tactics.
- Best for IKO System is best for small and medium-sized businesses.
LiveHive, Inc. is a sales acceleration platform that is headquartered in San Jose, California. The company was named by CIOReview-Sales Tech as one of the 20 Most Promising Sales Management Software companies of 2016.
- Best for LiveHive is best for small and medium-sized businesses.
Based in San Fransisco, California, Streak was designed to improve efficiency by allowing salespeople to keep track of sales data and important tasks within their inbox. Their email tracking system is easy to install as an extension for Gmail and Outlook. Customers include Yelp, Uber and weebly.
- Best for Streak is best for startups, individual sales representatives and small to mid-size businesses.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
11 – 11 Best Rated Email Tracking Software
Based in San Francisco, Streak is a CRM software company that offers features to help sales teams streamline their process. Get a free plan with limited tracked emails. Plans with unlimited email tracking start at $19 per month.
|Read Expert Review|