Consumer Complaints and Reviews
Impersonal only after your money no appreciation, cultivation or interest in who I am. I prefer someone come to me in person, explain the benefits of my gift and who I will be told about the outcomes for my gift.
The website offers an easy search function to enable the donor to find projects in a specific location or within certain areas of interest. The donation was followed up with a thank you email from the organization and details of when the project was fully funded. At certain donation levels the donor has the option to receive thank you notes from the kids (routed through DonorsChoose) which adds fun to the experience. Finally, I received heartfelt emails from the teachers, sometimes with photos of the class, explaining how the donated items were used and the joy they brought to the children. All in all, a truly stellar experience!
The donor selects a specific project to fund from the listings on the site and can choose a specific amount or to fully fund the project. This is a great way to assist teachers, particularly in areas that are socio-economically challenged, to obtain the necessary supplies and tools to effectively educate their students. The ability to fund projects in subjects or locations that are personally relevant to the donor adds an extra special touch to the experience.
They instantly acknowledged and thanked me for my donation via email. I just entered my amount and credit card info and it was done. I got a confirmation and thank you from the site as well as the teachers I chose to give to. I like this site because it helps teachers get what they need for their classrooms. The sponsors also will match your donation when the code word liftoff is included. Their "processing charge" isn't exorbitant and they have to approve the projects, so they are always worthy of support. I choose local teachers usually.
Rose SpinelliCrowdfunding Contributing Editor
Rose Spinelli, founder of The CrowdFundamentals, is an internationally recognized crowdfunding specialist, mentor, trainer and writer. In 2014, she was voted one of the 100 Most Influential Thoughtful Leaders in Crowdfunding. Rose is the author of one of the first online crowdfunding courses called “Working the Crowd: Know the Fundamentals,” and she has served on a board of directors for the CrowdFunding Professional Association.
More about Rose→
DonorsChoose is a registered nonprofit organization with offices in New York and San Francisco. It was launched by a Bronx history teacher in 2000 and allows individuals to donate directly to public school classroom projects. DonorsChoose is open to every public school in America. With a team of 80, many of whom are former teachers, the site’s nearly two million supporters have vetted and funded more than 600,000 projects to date.
- Built-in audience: The platform is for teachers to run fundraisers to pay for pencils, microscopes or any other classroom supply. Its unique niche within the crowdfunding industry means that people who want to support such causes know exactly where to go.
- High success rate: About 70 percent of projects are successfully funded. If donors support a project that doesn't get funded, their money is refunded in the form of account credits, which can be used to fund another project or to send a gift card to the teacher whose project they supported.
- Fees: Teachers pay nothing to use the site. DonorsChoose pays for costs through donations. Donations are tax deductible.
- Deadline flexibility: Teachers can set up to a four-month deadline for projects, but many have shorter timeframes.
- Help with administrative work: In part to ensure project integrity, DonorsChoose uses the money raised to purchase the materials teachers have requested, the items are purchased and fulfilled internally, and they ship them to the school. Letters of thanks, photos and reports about how each dollar was spent is sent to donors by teachers.
- Best for DonorsChoose is tailor-made for teachers who want to improve their classrooms by providing needed supplies.
Compare Crowdfunding Sites
DonorsChoose.org Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Year Founded:
- 134 West 37th Street 11th Floor
- New York
- Postal Code:
- United States