Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor
Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.
More about Shelley→
Hiveage, formerly known as CurdBee, is a basic online billing software from a web development company based in Sri Lanka with an office in the United States. Hiveage offers an online demo and a “forever free” version with unlimited invoices so you can try it out before signing up for a $5 per month to remove Hiveage branding, bill taxes, shipping and discounts and more, or $20 to use recurring billing, track time and expenses, send unlimited estimates and more.
- Low cost: $5 per month is the lowest cost option you’ll find.
- Contacts and domain: Use your own domain with your online invoices for a professional presence and multiple contacts per client is supported.
- Customizable: You can add only the features you need with modules.
- Dated: More clicks are required to finish some tasks compared to other software, and Hiveage looks dated. A major update is currently being beta tested with no firm public release date.
- Mobile and inventory: iOS app is limited, no Android app. Inventory is manual, does not adjust when an item is sold.
- Best for Self-employed, independent contractors and agencies.
Question and Answers - Hiveage (formerly known as CurdBee)
How has Hiveage grown or evolved?
- From a team of five in one of Sri Lanka’s first tech incubators to the multi-talented, highly-agile outfit we run today, Vesess, the company behind Hiveage, has come a long way. However, though our offices are now bigger and our computers are better, the core of what we are has remained the same. We grew from a small business into a not-so-small business using our own resources, and that’s helped us to maintain perspective. In short, because we pulled ourselves up by our own bootstraps, we remember very well what it’s like to be the little guy.
When we set out to build this company, the web was a hostile place for small businesses. For example, in Sri Lanka, setting up a payment gateway was nearly impossible for a SME. As we struggled to get our online business going so many years ago, we vowed that we would someday help other small businesses access the democratizing power of the Internet.
In a sense, then, Hiveage is just one of the ways we have set about doing that. We may be a little bigger now, but we’ve always been, and always will be, small at heart!
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
- The Software as a Service (SaaS) model has really caught on, and more small businesses are using web apps as a cornerstone of their business. We believe this offers us the opportunity to serve even more people, and that’s super exciting.
What’s even more exciting is the fact that the growth of web and mobile technology means that we can offer really advanced features to our users, and do so at very reasonable rates. We believe there has never been a better time to be in online billing, and Hiveage’s growth over the last year only serves to highlight this fact.
All in all, we’re psyched to be a part of one of the fastest growing online industries, and can’t wait to find out what the next few years have in store for us.
How does Hiveage measure success?
- On a day to day level, success is very simple to us. If we can respond to the day’s support requests in a way that leaves our customers happy and satisfied, that’s a good day for us. From the time a new support thread is created, it becomes our top priority until the issue is resolved, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
We’re always really psyched to wake up every morning and be the company that over 40,000 small businesses and freelancers from a 140 countries depend on to get their work done. The fact that we get to help so many SMEs like us every day is truly humbling, and it’s the reason we do what we do.
Finally, looking at our journey so far, we’re also immensely proud of the fact that we never gave into the temptation to go in for venture capital. While VC funding no doubt works for some, we always felt that having complete control of our future was more important than exponential growth for us, and perhaps that’s why we’ve taken a decade to get to where we are. However, that also means that we’re really happy about where we are right now – doing what we want, the way we want, and loving every minute of it!
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Hiveage?
- People sometimes think that we’re a lot bigger than we are, and find it difficult to believe that Hiveage is developed and maintained by a team of ten.
What sets Hiveage apart from the competition?
- Our pricing structure, and our support definitely set us apart. As a small business ourselves, we believe that a good invoicing solution shouldn’t have to slow down your business’s growth.
We also think that you should talk to a real person every single time you get in touch with customer support. These are our core tenets. We’ve stuck by them so far, and that won’t change anytime soon!
What problem is Hiveage trying to solve?
- Hiveage is focused on billing and invoicing for small businesses. We started building a billing app because we needed one, and all the existing solutions either lacked the features we wanted, or were too expensive for us to use. Once our app was done and we began using it internally, we realized that there were other small businesses all around the world that could benefit from the same features!
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Hiveage?
- That we’ll do anything (legal!) to make them happy, and that as a small business ourselves, nothing makes us happier than knowing their invoicing is going smoothly!
What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
- The online billing space is pretty populated, and we always count ourselves lucky to be competing with such an interesting array of apps. However, as awesome as some of the other solutions are, we believe we beat them straight up in terms of value for money.
How do we do this? By giving our users a completely modular system, meaning they can mix and match features and pay only for the stuff they actually use. Think of it like a sushi train for online billing. If you don’t eat it, you don’t have to pay for it!
Compare Online Billing and Invoicing Software
Hiveage (formerly known as CurdBee) Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Formerly Named: