Comcast VoIP

Compare VoIP Providers

Research top VoIP Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

WORST COMPANY EVER. We moved our local chamber office in October and after a huge runaround, finally got our service up and running. However, the voice mail will not work. My system is collecting voice mails and will not allow us to access them. We have been back and forth for weeks. This has escalated to the "tier two team". Frankly I don't think they exist. We have no voice mail and are being charged for crappy service. You are the worst Comcast.

We have had Comcast Business service for years... but obviously now need to reconsider. We initially had problems, but these were resolved and the last year has been problem-free. Right now, our phones are forwarding even though we have turned off call forwarding. We tried to get customer service, but there really is none - and in my recent call the OM said 'try again later.' Funny that they advertise 24/7 customer service? They have NO customer service.

From the day we signed the contract we have had NOTHING but problems. From porting our numbers, this took 2 months, to getting simple service they have been dismal. An update to the phones was pushed out about a month ago and I have had issues since. Now they tell me that my switch is bad because every night at 11:56pm all the phones stop communicating with their hardware. I have replaced the switch with no luck and they just keep pointing the finger at me. I have told them I will gladly replace whatever is broken so please send someone out to diagnose the issue. No one has come or offered any help other than saying "It's not our hardware". Keep in mind I have NOTHING else plugged into these switches except their hardware and still no help.

These people, are bunch of greedy people. I had contract with Comcast for 3 years, and now after 2 years I am relocation my business, and they want to charge me $199.00 installation fee. The funny part is the cable is there. Next door neighbor already has it. Then they told me that if I get basic TV they will charge me $49.00 installation fee, so I said "ok, lets do it". However after all that, took them forever to transfer my internet, and I have called Supervisor, manager no one gives damn that they are losing a customer, that has service at home and Business. One of worst service ever. I guess the reason they are in business is that they steal from consumers.

Moved and was told I could keep my business phone number by 3 different Xfinity customer service reps. Not true or they just don't want to take the extra effort to port the number over to my account. After 2 weeks of no business phone and 2 tech visits, 2 visits to the Xfinity store, countless hours on the phone with tech support and supervisors I still do not have a phone. Business has suffered!! The WORST customer service, tech support and supervisors I've ever had to deal with. Horrible experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comcast VoIP?

Comcast took 3 weeks to allow magicjack to take my number over. After that they want to leave the account open for 30 days and I pay for that 30 whole days. All they do is lie. They changed my account number twice so they can held the account open as much as they can. Bunch of liars and full of greed for money.

I have had digital voice for almost 10 years. I was one of the earliest adopters of Comcast Digital, participating in early rollout in early 90s. The service has become almost UNUSABLE because: Calls are regularly dropped, these are landline to landline, approx. once per week. Poor audio quality in general, recently frequent "audio holes", 1/3 calls roughly. Echoing. Dropped incoming calls, approximately once per business day a call comes in and then drops when I answer. Clearly, something is wrong, but I have had this system serviced, and since problems are intermittent they simply check the lines and reset the modem.

OTHER COMPLAINTS: Service over the phone and in person is generally awful. One technician was so rude I asked him to leave. (He had no intention of doing anything and told me so - wth). I have two Comcast services, residential and Comcast Business, and there is absolutely no coordination or integration that I can see. It is like dealing with two different companies, they even finger point at each other. In my view, the quality, reliability and performance of the service overall, and I have YEARS of experience as noted above, are WAY BELOW the regulatory expectation. I plan to cancel and move over to a different service.

My business needed a faster internet connection so we spoke with Comcast. We found out they can also handle phone lines. Excellent, we can continue with one provider. We are not a complicated business. We have 3 direct dial lines. When you call in and the line you phoned is busy, we want the call to move to one of the other open lines, or if all lines are busy to voice mail. Yes, I know the technical programming is complex, but we did have this with Integra. Comcast said they could do it also, but they can't.

Our phone lines changed on 3/11/14. Today 5/2/14 I was told they can't do that. I've phoned 3 times and worked over a week one time with a tech since 3/11/14 regarding issues and never did they say, "We can't do that". They don't have the technology, okay, so I need to cancel phone service and feel I shouldn't pay an early termination fee. You have to cancel within 30 days to avoid the termination fee. The rep told me I should have known it wasn't going to work in the first 30 days. I thought the installer just messed up on the programming. Heck, Integra had to debug their programming a couple times. Doesn't matter the sales rep said they could do the rollover, or that no one said in any of my service calls, "we can't do that".

So why did I call today? I guessed there could be issues since we seemed to have less calls, but I didn't really know it wasn't working. My assistant showed up late to work and said, "I called and received a busy signal, then I called line two and it went directly to voice mail." Last she called her own line and it just rang and didn't go to voice mail. One line was in use when she called. Problem was the other 2 were not. Not even close Comcast.

So I've been on the phone 2 hours with Comcast. I can move 2 of our lines without getting an early termination fee, but have to leave 1 line there. Hmm, somehow that makes no sense, but wait, they think if they do 2 hunt groups the problem will be fixed. Writing this as I wait by the way. Tech support says no, the hunt group only works on the main number, can't use it on a second number. So, it looks like I'll be paying an early termination fee.

Comcast had one week to prepare for porting my phone number from AT&T to Comcast/Xfiniity Voice. I had several phone conversations with Comcast reps who called me to clarify details of the switch. When the day for the change came 'round (yesterday)' the whole process was a cluster-F. Numbers they had provided to activate the new installation didn't work. We were first connected to someone who obviously didn't listen: all he was concerned with was Comcast Cable TV which we were not changing nor having problems with. Once he figured that out he said to call such and such number - which was also the wrong customer support number. After several false starts we got the phones working but I noticed throughout the day I was not getting any calls. Twelve hours later, we found out anyone calling the ported number got our voice mail (the old AT & T voice mail!). When I placed calls the person I called didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. It turns out our phone is now assigned a number from Nashville TN - 600 miles away! If someone wants to reach me they can call that Nashville number. If I want to call a local 912- number I have to use the area code since the Comcast system thinks I'm in Nashville, in the 615 area code.

When I ordered Comcast service, it was understood that I had all my own equipment and did not want to rent theirs. They charged me $99.00 to hook up their modem and now, you are charging me $7.00 each month to rent the modem. If I had the opportunity to be here, I would have thrown the installer out. He caused damage that is going to cost about $100.00 to fix. The agent did not tell me that your voice was a VOIP system or I would not have allowed them to install it. For $200.00, I can get the same phone service for two years.

I have spent over two hours on the phone trying to get an honest answer. They, (Josh, Supervisor Hendrix, Sharon and Charmaine) and Barb, at our local office, if they are telling the truth about that, bounced me back and forth to different departments and each one of them telling me that the other one doesn't know what he is or she is talking about. But nobody wanted to do anything. Supervisor Hendrix was the best, he told me that in the phone section, they do not have call back service and that I had to stay on line until, so I did and it took 20 minutes. He told me that it would be fixed and when they transferred me back to him, because it wasn't, he would not take the call. Every section that they sent me to took longer. Isn't that something? I asked if this was the way they take care of business, hoping that I will just go away and guess what, there was no answer to that question. It seems that the Attorney Generals office might be the next stop.

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

With roots in cable, Comcast is the largest business VoIP service provider in the United States. It provides a variety of data and communications services to businesses of all sizes.​

• Fixed-mobile convergence: Calls taken on a desk phone can be transferred in mid-call to mobiles. Calls can also automatically be forwarded to smart phones running as extensions to Comcast's virtual PBX. Caller ID shows as your business number, in either case.
  • Voice Mobility pricing: Comcast's Voice Mobility service is $29.99 per month for one line and requires a Comcast Internet plan as well. Voicemail boxes are an additional $5 per month.
  • VoiceEdge: Comcast's hosted PBX solution, VoiceEdge, starts at $34.95 per line for up to five lines and drops to $24.95 per line for 25 or more lines.
  • Network quality: Comcast undertakes a comprehensive network assessment before beginning voice service. Network quality is continually monitored, and SLAs are offered on service and installed devices such as routers and phone sets.
  • Sign on additional SIP trunks: Comcast can assign additional SIP trunks on an as-needed basis for periods of high call volume.
  • Best for Small businesses, large corporations and residential customers.

Compare VoIP - Internet Phone Service