Comcast VoIP

Compare VoIP Providers

Research top VoIP Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They are liars and don't tell the truth about anything on their voice edge phones. They go out often and then disconnected us twice for incorrect suite numbers and for non payment when they had the payment but not posted yet. I am a doctor's office and have medical emergencies that either time they disconnected there was no warning!!! As soon as my contract is up I will never use their service. That will also include their unreliable internet service and the cable. If you are a business this is the worst phone system. They told us that we have to go to internet site to learn how to use phone system no one shows you how this internet based phone system works. Worst company ever!! Charter spectrum will be who will be used in the future!!!

When I sign my service agreement with Comcast, many years ago, I explain them that my business phone number need it to stay with me. So it was ported from my previous provider, Vonage, to Comcast! Today, when I log in into my Comcast account, to forward my business call from my ex-Vonage number, (Now with Comcast since 2011), the number was not show on my Comcast account!

So I call Comcast 1-800-391-3000 and after explaining everything to Comcast representative Marcos at 7:15 PM, he couldn't find this number on my account (and he couldn't provide me with any explanation). I been paying for this number since I open the account with Comcast several years ago! He told me that I need it to talk to the portal department. He transfer me to the main system, not the portal department. So I have to start all over again!! Finally at 7:45 PM I talk to representative Amber, who also transfer me to the portal department (After explaining everything one more time!!). After waiting over 30 minutes on the line, I hang out the call!

I moved my business from 917 Bethlehem Pike to 969 Bethlehem Pike. Since its a restaurant I wanted to keep my both nos. The person who helped me in setting the account up suggested the only way to do it is RCF (Remote call forwarding). I moved my business on 7 May and they set everything up on May 1st. Since then I am having trouble in receiving phone calls from customers... They are calling on my restaurant phone nos, but it's not ringing. They assumed that we are closed permanently. I lose almost $3,000 just because of their negligence and carelessness. I am talking almost every other day with their representative for more than a hour resolving the issue. I am stuck with them because of contract and no other company has internet service over there. HOPE THIS REVIEW HELP SMALL BUSINESS LIKE MINE!! REALLY PATHETIC SERVICE.

New company. I leased commercial space. I asked neighbor what service they use. I got a 50/50 response, some saying building cannot get Comcast. I call Comcast and ask them if I can pay to install the wiring, etc. needed to test the location to see if it can get service when I move in, or I'll need to figure out what to do. I was being smart to avoid the risk of moving my company and not being able to have service. This was in November. I made it clear this was just to install to see if I could get. Not actual monthly service starting.

So get this, sales guy tells me I still have to sign contract to get wiring put in but just a formality to do so. I said I would call in when I am moved in and need service. So that was November 2016. The property has never been used, it was held up in city permitting. It wasn't legal for me to even occupy it yet. No tech usage is shown for any months up to March. Comcast has been billing me since day of wiring when I made it clear not to. Even better, I get a call from collections saying I owe near $1000 for unpaid bills! AND I never even got an invoice, email, nothing to make me even aware I was billed. If I got a bill I could have cut it off within the first month. But I got nothing. They said they sent to biz site but I didn't move in yet and even if it was mailed to address there is mailbox there and NOTHING has ever been dropped-off. So now I've spent HOURS getting run. This is stealing from me!

I would like to be credited for the five months I've been charged without knowing. No usage was used. Legally I couldn't be there so common sense!!! Why would I start a $200/month service at a site I am not occupying? UNREAL. An apology is called for as well for all the time away from work I've spent chasing down anyone to help me. I have proof of all this! I don't get how I didn't get an apology and credit the first day I wrote about this over a month ago. Sickening.

My sales person Michael ** is a snake. He needs a quick deal that bad to take advantage of a Comcast personal customer of over 16 years? I never even got a bill! Five months later I get collections calling me! How convenient for you. I value my credit score and was way over 800 and being reported for an account I never activated yet (didn't even have the property yet!!!) is absolutely WRONG and should be corrected. That is damaging and unfair.

I want this taken care of, those months credited back to my account. I paid as they cut off my service yet I needed right away because I was moving in March 1. Which I emailed my sales guy that date start of February!!! He could have said at that point as well that I was already activated. But nope, in response to me saying please activate account to start March 1 he just said "yup, ok". Snake. Horrific experience. Awful

I have been a customer of Comcast at my home since 1997. Moved my business to a commercial location, signed up Comcast business. Their service was ok, not that great. Moved service back to home, tried to combine service home/office. Told could not do, forced to change business contract. Verizon comes along and offers me package for phone, internet, and t.v. for about $100.00 per month. Comcast is charging me $235.00 per month, ask them to at match. They can't. I can't reduce my business service, have to cancel it at a cost of $1347.00 early termination fee!! Way to go Comcast, lose a loyal 20 year customer!! Could not get any manager involved. I recommend NOT to use Comcast business. Service is terrible!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comcast VoIP?

WORST COMPANY EVER. We moved our local chamber office in October and after a huge runaround, finally got our service up and running. However, the voice mail will not work. My system is collecting voice mails and will not allow us to access them. We have been back and forth for weeks. This has escalated to the "tier two team". Frankly I don't think they exist. We have no voice mail and are being charged for crappy service. You are the worst Comcast.

We have had Comcast Business service for years... but obviously now need to reconsider. We initially had problems, but these were resolved and the last year has been problem-free. Right now, our phones are forwarding even though we have turned off call forwarding. We tried to get customer service, but there really is none - and in my recent call the OM said 'try again later.' Funny that they advertise 24/7 customer service? They have NO customer service.

From the day we signed the contract we have had NOTHING but problems. From porting our numbers, this took 2 months, to getting simple service they have been dismal. An update to the phones was pushed out about a month ago and I have had issues since. Now they tell me that my switch is bad because every night at 11:56pm all the phones stop communicating with their hardware. I have replaced the switch with no luck and they just keep pointing the finger at me. I have told them I will gladly replace whatever is broken so please send someone out to diagnose the issue. No one has come or offered any help other than saying "It's not our hardware". Keep in mind I have NOTHING else plugged into these switches except their hardware and still no help.

These people, are bunch of greedy people. I had contract with Comcast for 3 years, and now after 2 years I am relocation my business, and they want to charge me $199.00 installation fee. The funny part is the cable is there. Next door neighbor already has it. Then they told me that if I get basic TV they will charge me $49.00 installation fee, so I said "ok, lets do it". However after all that, took them forever to transfer my internet, and I have called Supervisor, manager no one gives damn that they are losing a customer, that has service at home and Business. One of worst service ever. I guess the reason they are in business is that they steal from consumers.

Moved and was told I could keep my business phone number by 3 different Xfinity customer service reps. Not true or they just don't want to take the extra effort to port the number over to my account. After 2 weeks of no business phone and 2 tech visits, 2 visits to the Xfinity store, countless hours on the phone with tech support and supervisors I still do not have a phone. Business has suffered!! The WORST customer service, tech support and supervisors I've ever had to deal with. Horrible experience.

Comcast took 3 weeks to allow magicjack to take my number over. After that they want to leave the account open for 30 days and I pay for that 30 whole days. All they do is lie. They changed my account number twice so they can held the account open as much as they can. Bunch of liars and full of greed for money.

I have had digital voice for almost 10 years. I was one of the earliest adopters of Comcast Digital, participating in early rollout in early 90s. The service has become almost UNUSABLE because: Calls are regularly dropped, these are landline to landline, approx. once per week. Poor audio quality in general, recently frequent "audio holes", 1/3 calls roughly. Echoing. Dropped incoming calls, approximately once per business day a call comes in and then drops when I answer. Clearly, something is wrong, but I have had this system serviced, and since problems are intermittent they simply check the lines and reset the modem.

OTHER COMPLAINTS: Service over the phone and in person is generally awful. One technician was so rude I asked him to leave. (He had no intention of doing anything and told me so - wth). I have two Comcast services, residential and Comcast Business, and there is absolutely no coordination or integration that I can see. It is like dealing with two different companies, they even finger point at each other. In my view, the quality, reliability and performance of the service overall, and I have YEARS of experience as noted above, are WAY BELOW the regulatory expectation. I plan to cancel and move over to a different service.

My business needed a faster internet connection so we spoke with Comcast. We found out they can also handle phone lines. Excellent, we can continue with one provider. We are not a complicated business. We have 3 direct dial lines. When you call in and the line you phoned is busy, we want the call to move to one of the other open lines, or if all lines are busy to voice mail. Yes, I know the technical programming is complex, but we did have this with Integra. Comcast said they could do it also, but they can't.

Our phone lines changed on 3/11/14. Today 5/2/14 I was told they can't do that. I've phoned 3 times and worked over a week one time with a tech since 3/11/14 regarding issues and never did they say, "We can't do that". They don't have the technology, okay, so I need to cancel phone service and feel I shouldn't pay an early termination fee. You have to cancel within 30 days to avoid the termination fee. The rep told me I should have known it wasn't going to work in the first 30 days. I thought the installer just messed up on the programming. Heck, Integra had to debug their programming a couple times. Doesn't matter the sales rep said they could do the rollover, or that no one said in any of my service calls, "we can't do that".

So why did I call today? I guessed there could be issues since we seemed to have less calls, but I didn't really know it wasn't working. My assistant showed up late to work and said, "I called and received a busy signal, then I called line two and it went directly to voice mail." Last she called her own line and it just rang and didn't go to voice mail. One line was in use when she called. Problem was the other 2 were not. Not even close Comcast.

So I've been on the phone 2 hours with Comcast. I can move 2 of our lines without getting an early termination fee, but have to leave 1 line there. Hmm, somehow that makes no sense, but wait, they think if they do 2 hunt groups the problem will be fixed. Writing this as I wait by the way. Tech support says no, the hunt group only works on the main number, can't use it on a second number. So, it looks like I'll be paying an early termination fee.

Comcast had one week to prepare for porting my phone number from AT&T to Comcast/Xfiniity Voice. I had several phone conversations with Comcast reps who called me to clarify details of the switch. When the day for the change came 'round (yesterday)' the whole process was a cluster-F. Numbers they had provided to activate the new installation didn't work. We were first connected to someone who obviously didn't listen: all he was concerned with was Comcast Cable TV which we were not changing nor having problems with. Once he figured that out he said to call such and such number - which was also the wrong customer support number. After several false starts we got the phones working but I noticed throughout the day I was not getting any calls. Twelve hours later, we found out anyone calling the ported number got our voice mail (the old AT & T voice mail!). When I placed calls the person I called didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. It turns out our phone is now assigned a number from Nashville TN - 600 miles away! If someone wants to reach me they can call that Nashville number. If I want to call a local 912- number I have to use the area code since the Comcast system thinks I'm in Nashville, in the 615 area code.

When I ordered Comcast service, it was understood that I had all my own equipment and did not want to rent theirs. They charged me $99.00 to hook up their modem and now, you are charging me $7.00 each month to rent the modem. If I had the opportunity to be here, I would have thrown the installer out. He caused damage that is going to cost about $100.00 to fix. The agent did not tell me that your voice was a VOIP system or I would not have allowed them to install it. For $200.00, I can get the same phone service for two years.

I have spent over two hours on the phone trying to get an honest answer. They, (Josh, Supervisor Hendrix, Sharon and Charmaine) and Barb, at our local office, if they are telling the truth about that, bounced me back and forth to different departments and each one of them telling me that the other one doesn't know what he is or she is talking about. But nobody wanted to do anything. Supervisor Hendrix was the best, he told me that in the phone section, they do not have call back service and that I had to stay on line until, so I did and it took 20 minutes. He told me that it would be fixed and when they transferred me back to him, because it wasn't, he would not take the call. Every section that they sent me to took longer. Isn't that something? I asked if this was the way they take care of business, hoping that I will just go away and guess what, there was no answer to that question. It seems that the Attorney Generals office might be the next stop.

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

With roots in cable, Comcast is the largest business VoIP service provider in the United States. It provides a variety of data and communications services to businesses of all sizes.​

• Fixed-mobile convergence: Calls taken on a desk phone can be transferred in mid-call to mobiles. Calls can also automatically be forwarded to smart phones running as extensions to Comcast's virtual PBX. Caller ID shows as your business number, in either case.
  • Voice Mobility pricing: Comcast's Voice Mobility service is $29.99 per month for one line and requires a Comcast Internet plan as well. Voicemail boxes are an additional $5 per month.
  • VoiceEdge: Comcast's hosted PBX solution, VoiceEdge, starts at $34.95 per line for up to five lines and drops to $24.95 per line for 25 or more lines.
  • Network quality: Comcast undertakes a comprehensive network assessment before beginning voice service. Network quality is continually monitored, and SLAs are offered on service and installed devices such as routers and phone sets.
  • Sign on additional SIP trunks: Comcast can assign additional SIP trunks on an as-needed basis for periods of high call volume.
  • Best for Small businesses, large corporations and residential customers.

Compare VoIP - Internet Phone Service