1.03/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

29 Comcast VoIP Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My business has used Comcast for internet for several years with no real issues, so when our old "copper pairs" were just not providing reliable service we looked for a better solution. I engaged the services of a broker who provided several options for our phone and data. We have three offices, so there is complexity to this install. After looking at the options we chose Comcast. From the start we had problems.

First it was getting a quote. We had to sign a contract before they would do a site survey so they could tell us what the cost would be. Fortunately, it was not too high, but took a chance. Then they hired a subcontractor who had three different teams to run the last mile. NONE of them would set an appointment or coordinate with us, so fiber was run to the wrong place, not connected and in one case not run into the building. A process that should have taken 6 weeks took over 4 months. When Comcast finally got back involved, they simply came into each location, and left equipment. They never said that they would not return for the cutover. So there we were on the morning of the cutover wondering how to install THEIR equipment. I have had to hire an outside professional to complete it because Comcast refused to even discuss their equipment. I hope the equipment works, because it takes at least a day to get a response from them.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This has been by the far the worst experience ever. I have left voice-mails, spoken to different customer service reps, even left reviews on social media and I still can't get my account closed. Not only did they install the wrong services to my business but they refused to fix my services stating that they need a 45-day window to install the proper services that we need. As if adding insult to injury they also informed me that if I cannot wait I will be penalized for early cancellation fees. NEVER will do business with them again. Now we are out of work and are hopeless at the thought of being charged for something we don't have or can even use.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Comcast provides the phone service for my company, a business with about 45 employees. We have a dozen lines and the phones are the lifeblood of my business. Comcast began dropping calls, several a day, and we were never notified that it was happening. Instead, they cancelled the emergency line we had set up to alert us that something might be wrong. So rather than fix the problem they tried to eliminate the alarm.

The ineptitude of the agents involved is laughable, as they took turns contradicting each other time and again in an effort to minimize the problem rather than attack it. I'm six weeks into the issue, still with no resolution in sight. From top to bottom this company is an inept, pass-the-buck, addled nightmare of confusion. The first several people I spoke with didn't even realize Comcast offered the products we were using. I'm still so snake bit by the experience that I don't even know what else to say except please, if you value your business, look elsewhere for all your services.

Original review: July 22, 2018

We contacted Comcast Xfinity to start a new contract, as ours was ending. Our account had also been locked needing a "voice security pin" we had never set up or given so we are unable to view our bill online, and never received any bills via mail. We do not have phone with Xfinity either. We were promised a new one year contract, of TV & internet, for a rate of $59.99 plus $10 for DVR plus taxes & fees. Overall the bill would come to $90 and change, as told by "Michael **" in the loyalty department. We were also promised a $99 refund for being overcharged for rental equipment that we did not have. We were told we would be called in 48 hours to verify the issue had been resolved.

One week later, our bill was then raised to $145.88. After calling the loyalty department again and speaking with supervisor "Scott" he refused to honor the contract rate by Michael ** of $90, and refuses to issue our refund of $99 that we had been charged. All that "Scott" from loyalty would offer is a two year contract at $135.26, for Internet, TV, DVR, plus taxes & fees. "Scott" said that everyone I had talked to lied to me and they refuse to offer any compensation for being overcharged or honor the contract that "Michael **" gave me. Now that they have changed the original contract to a 2 year contract for $135.26 I was informed someone will contact me in the next 48 hours to unlock my account.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Had Comcast business for more than 2 years under name of **, I closed my office about 2 years ago and asked to change the services to my home to avoid early termination fee. On 12/2017 I ask to cancel the services because I moved to other house in other town and had Comcast residential at new home. I return the business router and request to close the account and got email from them verify that. April 2018 I received bill for three month even the services suppose to be disconnect and they keep billing every month. Now they send me to collection and still charge for every month till now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comcast VoIP?

Original review: May 22, 2018

I work for a University and if I could give Comcast Business Services Sales and customer Support no stars I would. I am thoroughly frustrated with our "Strategic Account Manager". There is no communication, no escalation, no support. He is quick to provide an agreement but once we have signed the agreement. We are completely forgotten. He doesn't fill out the paperwork accurately so the technicians can never figure out where the install needs to happen or whom to contact. And there is no relief in sight. There is no one I can escalate my issues to (very frustrating).

And then once the service is installed the billing team is even more inept and unhelpful. I often have to call and email at least 5 times to get the ball rolling on anything. Most recently they took over two months (sales rep lied and said a week) to upgrade one of our sites internet services and then billed the upgrade to the wrong account and the wrong rate. And our so-called "Strategic Account Manager" could care less. Doesn't apologize, doesn't try to rectify the situation. I want Comcast to go out of business. And we need to stop allowing these telecommunication companies to consolidate and merge and buy each other out. The service gets worse and worse the more they are allowed to monopolize in a region. They have tied our hands because Verizon is no better. -Frustrated in Maryland

Original review: May 18, 2018

When I was with Comcast they encouraged me to have a Business account also. It seemed advisable, from what they told me so I went with it. I was surprised to find that I ended up paying double for certain things and when I caught it I stopped my service, went down to their local store, turned in my equipment and paid them all that I owed, well I thought, but they told me nothing about anything more. I was surprised that I received a bill a couple of months later for around $2,600.00 for breaking contract on the business side as I never needed a business account. Since I was not informed while leaving them and then hit me with such high amounts as $2,600 plus penalties that added up to about $3,200.00. I found out that other companies charge around $250 when you break contract with them.

I even sent them $250.00 to appease them. NO such luck, they kept after me, reported me to the credit bureaus, and kept trying to get well over $3,000 from me. My credit scores stay in the 825 range and I earned that, so I had to hire an attorney and fight them back to get them to leave me alone and get their negative information off of my credit report. What a nightmare they caused me and I would never recommend them to anyone, even to an avowed enemy. Shame on them!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

We were with Comcast Business for 5 years, internet plus LAN VoIP phones. We were month to month, out of contract. I called to cancel and of course they waste your time on the phone. Finally they send over cancellation consent form which I sign. I thought I'm done. Nope, they write into cancellation form that it's 60 days notice and I have to pay two months worth of bills. I get another bill in 30 days. I call and they basically said, "Too bad." Terrible way to do business. It's shame Comcast has such a monopoly. Not paying the unwarranted bills to these clowns.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We have been a Comcast customer ever since they offered high speed internet. Because of this we went from their PRI lines to the BVE. Recently we moved locations. It is now 3 weeks later and we still do not have our services moved into our building! Our internet is still down and we are using our cellphones to communicate with our customers that are calling in. Retention pushes it off to Sales, Sales shows that Retention should be taking care of a move, who knows.

When you call into Customer Service and give them the CR that was assigned from the beginning you STILL have to walk through the entire story all over again even though this is all supposed to be in their notes right in front of them. This is the absolute worst experience I have ever had with them. If it was not for the fact that we cannot get similar service from another vendor, this would be the time to switch. It is a ridiculous situation where you cannot just take your equipment to your new location and turn it all up. Total lunacy and there is nothing that gets things moving in the right direction. We have wasted more time on hold while they are trying to figure things out to come to no resolution whatsoever.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

They said they would come out within 4 hours of any phone line related issue. And have not. We receive over 100 calls a day and have not been able to set up our VM, when we called for support, they told us the earliest they could come was tomorrow. WE SWITCHED BECAUSE OF THEIR 4 HOUR PROMISE. It is baffling that a company can get away with lies like this. Back to local.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I chose Comcast for business as I already had Comcast for home when I opened up a new business. Unfortunately I did not get the necessary licenses that I needed after being open for a year so I had to close the actual office. The week prior to coming up with this final decision I called Comcast and told them I was closing down my business and therefore I did not need all the services that I was getting for the business. They told me since I was still under contract it does not matter if the business exists or not I still had to pay the remainder of my contract fees but the lady suggested I could transfer the account over to my residence to avoid termination fees. I agreed to the same.

A week later, they told me the area I wanted to transfer the services to (my residence) was a non-serviceable area, (but I have Xfinity for home) and it would cost me 9000 dollars to do so and 30 days for them to make it serviceable. They then concluded that in this situation, they would have to credit me the early termination fees and we call it even since they could not service the area.

That was way back in May 2017. It is December 21st 2017 and I have had conversation with probably 35 agents each taking up about 45 minutes to an hour of my time telling me the same conversations I have had with all of them and none reaching a resolution to my problem... which is that they sent my account to collections for about 2000 dollars that I owe them. I am confused, disappointed, irritated and out of words.

I am never able to reach a supervisor and I have emails that back up my conversations, they have given me numerous CR numbers that were supposed to have that amount reversed so I don't owe Comcast anything... yet all I have gained in this is have a collection agency call me everyday talking about there is nothing Comcast will be able to do as they have been transferred the account to collect upon. I want to believe there should be legal action that I can pursue with this situation, as it is very unfair. If anyone at Comcast can reach me about this... (not that they care) or anyone else who has advise, I will be grateful!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

The install was goofy - wanted our IT person HERE, when all they needed was the user and password for the router. WOW. But on to the phones... They suck. Accessing voicemail - terrible, slow and seemingly not even grabbing voice message sometimes. Is my boss on the line - hmm, the system might take 4-8 seconds to determine that, while I am trying to page him to let him know there is a call for him.

My (office secretary) phone - doesn't ring when a call comes in. But it does on other phones - yes I have been into the settings. 2 hours into the day, haven't done anything productive due to these phones. Wish my boss would have looked at reviews of these systems before purchasing. We keep complaining about these phones and someone will probably get fired. Probably me - if I don't quit first. Seriously, over a phone system. BE FOREWARNED - these phones will seriously cramp your productivity. We had a Toshiba system before - wow do I miss that.:(

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

***Being a loyal customer since Comcast existed, one of the first to get "Triple Play" way back when, I'm sad to say, loyalty means nothing to this corporation now, surprise, surprise. My monthly bill is approx. $300.*** (The unabridged version.) The lack of communication skills (especially with work orders) is awful, and Comcast being in the communications business, oh the irony!! Just when I think it can't get any worse, Comcast rises to the occasion. It's like a bad dream and battle with this HUGE company.

One big issue, using hired contractors, who manage to screw things up, having them to return several times, but not the same techs, billing Comcast,,, chaching. It took 3 guys to install an additional phone line in my home. Not arriving all at once, they sat around yapping, and still managed to disconnect my original landline. We had no service for 10 days. This costs the customer indirectly, rising rates to compensate for the inexperienced expensive contractors. Always ask for a "Comcast Employee" and see how far you, always request a work order and check everything before they leave.

In 2010, we moved to this house. The side where the modem lives, gets a strong signal, however, the side I'm on does not. It affects the internet and landline. Comcast suggested opening another account with a modem hardwired in my location, with a promo deal of $50 a month. Apparently it's a sin to add another modem to your existing account. In 3 months it went up to $70. In a few years wifi began and got rid of that modem and bill that kept increasing. With wifi boosters, it was ok, but if another computer is in use, my internet was dragging.

Fast forward to 2016, when I called Comcast once again, complaining about the internet and phone dropouts, they suggested getting another phone line installed. Since I had that coax line from the modem, they would send me a DIY modem package, sounds easy. The guy came to install the new phone line... hold on, this is a very bumpy ride...

Comcast came to install the new phone line, being quick, but he removed the coax from the wall, also disconnecting our original home landline. We got a two for oner on that blunder. I ran after him down my driveway, "hey,,, where's my coax!!" He came back, knowing nothing about my shiny new modem, sitting there in an open box, on the floor, where he was working. Great example of the lack of communication skills. Now the modem useless taking back the modem to Comcast. In this process, he disconnected our original home phone. We had no service for ten days, right when my husband started his chemo. When Comcast finally returned, this is when it took three guys to reinstall our landline. I received no compensation or apology from Comcast,,, seriously??

April of 2017, I couldn't take the slow internet anymore, being a glutton of punishment, my husband warned me, I called Comcast once again to plead my case. I asked if I could start a Business Account in my home. The response was NO, no way, not going to happen. A few days later, I called again, this time they switched me over to Business who was eager to help. Once there, I told her of my woes, she suggested using the newest home line as my business phone and well make up a company name. Finally, after signing that contract 5 times, because of the incompetence, you know that little voice in your head, saying warning, "I should of listened to myself." The guy came out to install the equipment. He reported that the signal was still low and added a booster. It really didn't make much of a difference and the Comcast website would take the longest to load, how's that for more irony.

My monthly bill was $170, but I had a 30 day trial. Yeah, about that trial, so when the tech was here, once again, he disconnected our original landline, but this time he was really competent screwing things up by enabling our home alarm system. Bay Alarm had to come to our home to reconfigure the alarm and connection into the modem which cost us $103. The booby prize was I made Comcast eat that bill with a side of embarrassment, and they did, but not before screwing up my Comcast and email settings for our residential accounts. They switched that over to the business account. Calling Comcast help, they promise to reinstate my original set up which never happened.

Because of all the confusion and Comcast's mistakes, my trial period never existed and by late June I have had it. In July I called to cancel this business account, wanting to go full circle back to the original extra modem, since I had the coax once again. They switched me over to residential, which I didn’t know that, to make an appointment to remove the business gear and give me a regular modem. He was scheduled to arrive on a Thursday, I've waited and no show. He did come the next day but get ready for this one... he told me the gear was not set up properly. I didn't care, $170 is too much money for crappy service. He did make an ethernet connection, which I plug in when needing the internet.

Since that time, I've been receiving past due bills, getting phone calls on the home number very early in the morning, harassing us. When I called them again, they told me there's no record of cancellation or sending a tech out and an early termination contract must be signed. That lady got snippy with me, she never sent it, the phone calls keep happening. Once again, I called and the guy finally sent that disconnect contract but… it reads, I'll be liable for early termination at the tune of $2,934.08!!! Again on the phone, I can't sign this, but they refuse to take the fee off and deciding to record his response, he hung up on me.

In a nutshell... All I wanted was a decent internet connection, is that so wrong? Comcast hooked me up with a fractious business account that doesn't exist, into a home where a bill is already generated for residential use. I didn't get my trial period because of Comcast's incompetence, making a mess of things and now they have a promo for $40 a month and TV hookup for an entire year. They choose to pick on little ol' me, continuing to bill me, now over $400 with harassing phone calls to my residential number, that nothing to do with this. I believe they shut down my other line, so I packed up their gear, brought it back to their store. Welcome to my nightmare, so much for the loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Here is the deal. They send out 2 people to sell you on the project. In my case, it was Ryan ** (a local rep who was "there for me" and quit the week I signed the contract). The other person who was a regional tech manager was there too. Brian **. He assured me that he would be reachable too if there were any problems.

From the day I signed the contract I could not reach Ryan (since he quit) and Brian who wouldn't return my calls or respond to my emails. The only way I could reach him was if I made my phone number hidden.

Their tech support phone number people are great. But understand that they install a very complicated system with NO TRAINING at all. They just give you a link to some videos. I am a computer technician and was able to make our phone system work after spending many, many hours on the phone with their tech support team. Again, their tech support team is great. They are very responsive and eager to help. Their sales people are crooks.

Original review: June 29, 2017

They are liars and don't tell the truth about anything on their voice edge phones. They go out often and then disconnected us twice for incorrect suite numbers and for non payment when they had the payment but not posted yet. I am a doctor's office and have medical emergencies that either time they disconnected there was no warning!!! As soon as my contract is up I will never use their service. That will also include their unreliable internet service and the cable. If you are a business this is the worst phone system. They told us that we have to go to internet site to learn how to use phone system no one shows you how this internet based phone system works. Worst company ever!! Charter spectrum will be who will be used in the future!!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

When I sign my service agreement with Comcast, many years ago, I explain them that my business phone number need it to stay with me. So it was ported from my previous provider, Vonage, to Comcast! Today, when I log in into my Comcast account, to forward my business call from my ex-Vonage number, (Now with Comcast since 2011), the number was not show on my Comcast account!

So I call Comcast 1-800-391-3000 and after explaining everything to Comcast representative Marcos at 7:15 PM, he couldn't find this number on my account (and he couldn't provide me with any explanation). I been paying for this number since I open the account with Comcast several years ago! He told me that I need it to talk to the portal department. He transfer me to the main system, not the portal department. So I have to start all over again!! Finally at 7:45 PM I talk to representative Amber, who also transfer me to the portal department (After explaining everything one more time!!). After waiting over 30 minutes on the line, I hang out the call!

Original review: May 21, 2017

I moved my business from 917 Bethlehem Pike to 969 Bethlehem Pike. Since its a restaurant I wanted to keep my both nos. The person who helped me in setting the account up suggested the only way to do it is RCF (Remote call forwarding). I moved my business on 7 May and they set everything up on May 1st. Since then I am having trouble in receiving phone calls from customers... They are calling on my restaurant phone nos, but it's not ringing. They assumed that we are closed permanently. I lose almost $3,000 just because of their negligence and carelessness. I am talking almost every other day with their representative for more than a hour resolving the issue. I am stuck with them because of contract and no other company has internet service over there. HOPE THIS REVIEW HELP SMALL BUSINESS LIKE MINE!! REALLY PATHETIC SERVICE.

Original review: April 4, 2017

New company. I leased commercial space. I asked neighbor what service they use. I got a 50/50 response, some saying building cannot get Comcast. I call Comcast and ask them if I can pay to install the wiring, etc. needed to test the location to see if it can get service when I move in, or I'll need to figure out what to do. I was being smart to avoid the risk of moving my company and not being able to have service. This was in November. I made it clear this was just to install to see if I could get. Not actual monthly service starting.

So get this, sales guy tells me I still have to sign contract to get wiring put in but just a formality to do so. I said I would call in when I am moved in and need service. So that was November 2016. The property has never been used, it was held up in city permitting. It wasn't legal for me to even occupy it yet. No tech usage is shown for any months up to March. Comcast has been billing me since day of wiring when I made it clear not to. Even better, I get a call from collections saying I owe near $1000 for unpaid bills! AND I never even got an invoice, email, nothing to make me even aware I was billed. If I got a bill I could have cut it off within the first month. But I got nothing. They said they sent to biz site but I didn't move in yet and even if it was mailed to address there is mailbox there and NOTHING has ever been dropped-off. So now I've spent HOURS getting run. This is stealing from me!

I would like to be credited for the five months I've been charged without knowing. No usage was used. Legally I couldn't be there so common sense!!! Why would I start a $200/month service at a site I am not occupying? UNREAL. An apology is called for as well for all the time away from work I've spent chasing down anyone to help me. I have proof of all this! I don't get how I didn't get an apology and credit the first day I wrote about this over a month ago. Sickening.

My sales person Michael ** is a snake. He needs a quick deal that bad to take advantage of a Comcast personal customer of over 16 years? I never even got a bill! Five months later I get collections calling me! How convenient for you. I value my credit score and was way over 800 and being reported for an account I never activated yet (didn't even have the property yet!!!) is absolutely WRONG and should be corrected. That is damaging and unfair. I want this taken care of, those months credited back to my account. I paid as they cut off my service yet I needed right away because I was moving in March 1. Which I emailed my sales guy that date start of February!!! He could have said at that point as well that I was already activated. But nope, in response to me saying please activate account to start March 1 he just said "yup, ok". Snake. Horrific experience. Awful.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I have been a customer of Comcast at my home since 1997. Moved my business to a commercial location, signed up Comcast business. Their service was ok, not that great. Moved service back to home, tried to combine service home/office. Told could not do, forced to change business contract. Verizon comes along and offers me package for phone, internet, and t.v. for about $100.00 per month. Comcast is charging me $235.00 per month, ask them to at match. They can't. I can't reduce my business service, have to cancel it at a cost of $1347.00 early termination fee!! Way to go Comcast, lose a loyal 20 year customer!! Could not get any manager involved. I recommend NOT to use Comcast business. Service is terrible!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

WORST COMPANY EVER. We moved our local chamber office in October and after a huge runaround, finally got our service up and running. However, the voice mail will not work. My system is collecting voice mails and will not allow us to access them. We have been back and forth for weeks. This has escalated to the "tier two team". Frankly I don't think they exist. We have no voice mail and are being charged for crappy service. You are the worst Comcast.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

We have had Comcast Business service for years... but obviously now need to reconsider. We initially had problems, but these were resolved and the last year has been problem-free. Right now, our phones are forwarding even though we have turned off call forwarding. We tried to get customer service, but there really is none - and in my recent call the OM said 'try again later.' Funny that they advertise 24/7 customer service? They have NO customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

From the day we signed the contract we have had NOTHING but problems. From porting our numbers, this took 2 months, to getting simple service they have been dismal. An update to the phones was pushed out about a month ago and I have had issues since. Now they tell me that my switch is bad because every night at 11:56pm all the phones stop communicating with their hardware. I have replaced the switch with no luck and they just keep pointing the finger at me. I have told them I will gladly replace whatever is broken so please send someone out to diagnose the issue. No one has come or offered any help other than saying "It's not our hardware". Keep in mind I have NOTHING else plugged into these switches except their hardware and still no help.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

These people, are bunch of greedy people. I had contract with Comcast for 3 years, and now after 2 years I am relocation my business, and they want to charge me $199.00 installation fee. The funny part is the cable is there. Next door neighbor already has it. Then they told me that if I get basic TV they will charge me $49.00 installation fee, so I said "ok, lets do it". However after all that, took them forever to transfer my internet, and I have called Supervisor, manager no one gives damn that they are losing a customer, that has service at home and Business. One of worst service ever. I guess the reason they are in business is that they steal from consumers.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

Moved and was told I could keep my business phone number by 3 different Xfinity customer service reps. Not true or they just don't want to take the extra effort to port the number over to my account. After 2 weeks of no business phone and 2 tech visits, 2 visits to the Xfinity store, countless hours on the phone with tech support and supervisors I still do not have a phone. Business has suffered!! The WORST customer service, tech support and supervisors I've ever had to deal with. Horrible experience.

Original review: July 8, 2015

Comcast took 3 weeks to allow magicjack to take my number over. After that they want to leave the account open for 30 days and I pay for that 30 whole days. All they do is lie. They changed my account number twice so they can held the account open as much as they can. Bunch of liars and full of greed for money.

Original review: July 3, 2015

I have had digital voice for almost 10 years. I was one of the earliest adopters of Comcast Digital, participating in early rollout in early 90s. The service has become almost UNUSABLE because: Calls are regularly dropped, these are landline to landline, approx. once per week. Poor audio quality in general, recently frequent "audio holes", 1/3 calls roughly. Echoing. Dropped incoming calls, approximately once per business day a call comes in and then drops when I answer. Clearly, something is wrong, but I have had this system serviced, and since problems are intermittent they simply check the lines and reset the modem.

OTHER COMPLAINTS: Service over the phone and in person is generally awful. One technician was so rude I asked him to leave. (He had no intention of doing anything and told me so - wth). I have two Comcast services, residential and Comcast Business, and there is absolutely no coordination or integration that I can see. It is like dealing with two different companies, they even finger point at each other. In my view, the quality, reliability and performance of the service overall, and I have YEARS of experience as noted above, are WAY BELOW the regulatory expectation. I plan to cancel and move over to a different service.

Original review: May 2, 2014

My business needed a faster internet connection so we spoke with Comcast. We found out they can also handle phone lines. Excellent, we can continue with one provider. We are not a complicated business. We have 3 direct dial lines. When you call in and the line you phoned is busy, we want the call to move to one of the other open lines, or if all lines are busy to voice mail. Yes, I know the technical programming is complex, but we did have this with Integra. Comcast said they could do it also, but they can't.

Our phone lines changed on 3/11/14. Today 5/2/14 I was told they can't do that. I've phoned 3 times and worked over a week one time with a tech since 3/11/14 regarding issues and never did they say, "We can't do that". They don't have the technology, okay, so I need to cancel phone service and feel I shouldn't pay an early termination fee. You have to cancel within 30 days to avoid the termination fee. The rep told me I should have known it wasn't going to work in the first 30 days. I thought the installer just messed up on the programming. Heck, Integra had to debug their programming a couple times. Doesn't matter the sales rep said they could do the rollover, or that no one said in any of my service calls, "we can't do that".

So why did I call today? I guessed there could be issues since we seemed to have less calls, but I didn't really know it wasn't working. My assistant showed up late to work and said, "I called and received a busy signal, then I called line two and it went directly to voice mail." Last she called her own line and it just rang and didn't go to voice mail. One line was in use when she called. Problem was the other 2 were not. Not even close Comcast.

So I've been on the phone 2 hours with Comcast. I can move 2 of our lines without getting an early termination fee, but have to leave 1 line there. Hmm, somehow that makes no sense, but wait, they think if they do 2 hunt groups the problem will be fixed. Writing this as I wait by the way. Tech support says no, the hunt group only works on the main number, can't use it on a second number. So, it looks like I'll be paying an early termination fee.

Original review: March 15, 2014

Comcast had one week to prepare for porting my phone number from AT&T to Comcast/Xfiniity Voice. I had several phone conversations with Comcast reps who called me to clarify details of the switch. When the day for the change came 'round (yesterday)' the whole process was a cluster-F. Numbers they had provided to activate the new installation didn't work. We were first connected to someone who obviously didn't listen: all he was concerned with was Comcast Cable TV which we were not changing nor having problems with. Once he figured that out he said to call such and such number - which was also the wrong customer support number. After several false starts we got the phones working but I noticed throughout the day I was not getting any calls. Twelve hours later, we found out anyone calling the ported number got our voice mail (the old AT & T voice mail!). When I placed calls the person I called didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. It turns out our phone is now assigned a number from Nashville TN - 600 miles away! If someone wants to reach me they can call that Nashville number. If I want to call a local 912- number I have to use the area code since the Comcast system thinks I'm in Nashville, in the 615 area code.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2012

When I ordered Comcast service, it was understood that I had all my own equipment and did not want to rent theirs. They charged me $99.00 to hook up their modem and now, you are charging me $7.00 each month to rent the modem. If I had the opportunity to be here, I would have thrown the installer out. He caused damage that is going to cost about $100.00 to fix. The agent did not tell me that your voice was a VOIP system or I would not have allowed them to install it. For $200.00, I can get the same phone service for two years.

I have spent over two hours on the phone trying to get an honest answer. They, (Josh, Supervisor Hendrix, Sharon and Charmaine) and Barb, at our local office, if they are telling the truth about that, bounced me back and forth to different departments and each one of them telling me that the other one doesn't know what he is or she is talking about. But nobody wanted to do anything. Supervisor Hendrix was the best, he told me that in the phone section, they do not have call back service and that I had to stay on line until, so I did and it took 20 minutes. He told me that it would be fixed and when they transferred me back to him, because it wasn't, he would not take the call. Every section that they sent me to took longer. Isn't that something? I asked if this was the way they take care of business, hoping that I will just go away and guess what, there was no answer to that question. It seems that the Attorney Generals office might be the next stop.

Comcast VoIP expert review by Ellen Muraskin

With roots in cable, Comcast is the largest business VoIP service provider in the United States. It provides a variety of data and communications services to businesses of all sizes.​

• Fixed-mobile convergence: Calls taken on a desk phone can be transferred in mid-call to mobiles. Calls can also automatically be forwarded to smart phones running as extensions to Comcast's virtual PBX. Caller ID shows as your business number, in either case.

• Voice Mobility pricing: Comcast's Voice Mobility service is $29.99 per month for one line and requires a Comcast Internet plan as well. Voicemail boxes are an additional $5 per month.

• VoiceEdge: Comcast's hosted PBX solution, VoiceEdge, starts at $34.95 per line for up to five lines and drops to $24.95 per line for 25 or more lines.

• Network quality: Comcast undertakes a comprehensive network assessment before beginning voice service. Network quality is continually monitored, and SLAs are offered on service and installed devices such as routers and phone sets.

• Sign on additional SIP trunks: Comcast can assign additional SIP trunks on an as-needed basis for periods of high call volume.

• Best for: Small businesses, large corporations and residential customers.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Comcast VoIP Company Information