3.81/5
  • 1 star
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 4, 2017

21 Carbonite Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Used Carbonite for about a year, paid for the service. It was backing up my home computer and my Android phone. Very useful for the phone since I am on a long trip away from home, phone storage is limited and I am taking lots of pictures and videos. Last night I get email from Carbonite that they are discontinuing Android backups, not only that but ALL data they have from Android devices will be DELETED from their server in 60 days. As I will not return home in that timeframe to download the data to my home PC, I may lose it. I may have room on another mobile device, but the data file is 2Gb and internet access in this part of the world has not proven reliable or fast enough to handle this large a file. I understand they did the same disgraceful service to IOS users in the past. It is time for mobile users to find a better service that will provide backup for both home and mobile devices in one place.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I cancelled service completely 2 years ago. This morning they auto renewed me at a cost of $269.99. They wouldn't give me a refund because I don't have the computer I signed up with any longer and I changed my credit card. I spent over 45 minutes dealing with four different service reps - none would give me a refund. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Watch out for these rip off artists who keep charging you after you cancel, and then won't give you your money back.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

BACK UP FAILED, RESTORE FAILED AND THEY KEPT MY 2 YEAR PAYMENT. Not happy at all, and suggest that while it appears that it is backing up all the time successfully, it has failed to do so with certain files. Opened tickets and finally had to hire IT specialists to try and restore another file that took weeks and weeks and still unable to do so. Okay so that happened but then don't keep my money for another year when you could not do your service. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: July 13, 2017

It certainly does the job and keep your files backed up. However, if you ever need to pull a file the systems is very S... L... O... W. When I log in, click on my PC and begin clicking through the files and folders, sometimes it takes up to 60 seconds for a page to lead. Other days it's very quick - but 8 times out of 10 SLOW.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I have been using Carbonite on two computers for many years and up until now would have rated the service very highly. The most I've needed was the retrieval of a few files here and there. I have two reasons why I have just canceled the account. First, if you have accidentally deleted a file or folder and don't catch it within 30 days, it's gone forever with no notice. This has happened to me and can easily happen to anyone. It would be great if they would notify their clients whenever files were being deleted from their server.

Secondly, I have just tried to do a full restore from my backup. I've spent two days trying, using their chat service to sort out problems. Their agents have escalated me higher and higher without being able to help. The restoration process has generated hundreds of files that should not be in my backup - things like duplicate files, old internet searches from years ago, etc. I am now required to go through all of these spurious files and folders on my desktop one by one. Their agents tell me that these must have been on my desktop before. REALLY? Don't depend on Carbonite when you need them the most.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carbonite?

Original review: May 5, 2017

Easy simple to back up all photos and pictures. Carbonite works with all solutions you can save at it. I would improve the price. Sometimes lowering the price will attract more customers to use your services. That will help all customers afford to use service when needed. This service will help you when need it most. Number one compared to all others services and would recommend to all customers.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I use Carbonite for work purposes of storing all my clientele information. I use it for home storage and storage of my home photos. One thing I really can appreciate as someone who uses Carbonite for home use and work on is that there is plenty of notifications to let you know where you stand as far as to when running low on storage and plenty of updates. I really enjoy them so far and really can't see any issues that I do not enjoy about Carbonite so far. So far I am satisfied and feel I made a good useful decision this far. I did not have any interaction with customer service to make my purchase decision. I could have but I was confident of my purchase from word of mouth. No interaction with customer service on the decision. I just went by word of mouth.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Secure storage, a lot of storage options, desktop programs. Solid pricing that makes it fairly competitive. Easy to use interface that is fairly simple and good to use. There are not too many things that I can think of that I would change. They are not the cheapest option and their desktop program is not as easy to use as say dropboxes. Nothing really stood up other than it was fairly standard. Was able to sign up on their website and enter my information and pay there.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I like because it is easy to use and the service is very good. It was perfect for what I needed it for. It helped me and was very easy to operate. I am a customer for life now and use the service daily. I do not have anything negative to say about the cloud storage service. I do not know any way to better improve the cloud storage service. The positives alone outweigh anything and it is very worth the service. The service was easy to set up and use and customer service is available to help with any questions. Setting up the service was very simple. I recommend the service to everyone and have told others about how great, fast, and easy the service was. Customer service is available for any questions or concerns in setting up the service and are very helpful to the users.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I purchased the 3 yr. Carbonite deal which was inexpensive and a great back-up. I have a simple laptop and just basically back up photos. But now I have a new laptop and after conferring with a tech person, all I really need is the Apple cloud which is free. I will let Carbonite run its course, try Apple cloud and decide from there. There is always a 30% promo code available. Carbonite always updates and communicates with me via email. It is safe and always offers a 30% off promo code. I haven't had any problems with Carbonite but again, I do have the Apple iPhone and Google offers free cloud storage. I really don't remember setting up the Carbonite myself. I have a tech guy that does this stuff for me as I don't understand all of this and don't want to lose any of my photos or make any serious mistakes.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I like Carbonite Cloud Storage because it has unlimited amounts of storage, cost $5 a month, is a well known cloud storage company, cheap, quick, convenient, and has business options at a minimal price. They have different plans to meet your needs and price range. Carbonite storage has no known features I have ran into that I would change. Overall it has been a great choice of cloud storage for me and my family to use. Carbonite Cloud Storage has many different options to suit your needs and is very easy to use. Just install and run it. I have not yet interacted with a customer service representative yet.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I had an IT guy set up the service with me. All in all it was fairly easy to set up and do not think the customer assistance would be necessary for most. I really like the ease of the automatic backup. This is probably the most important feature to me. I also like the unlimited backup storage and the security that is included with the subscription. The only thing that I think could be improved on is the color scheme. My partner is colorblind and sometimes has difficulty seeing the interface clearly. A little more contrast would help.

Original review: April 23, 2017

The setup could be worse, but it's kind of a pain. You have to sign up online, and not very many payment methods are accepted. I dont understand why that is, but once you get past the painful account set-up, it is a great, worthwhile tool to have in your arsenal of storage devices. The capacity is something that could be worked on for the hefty price. The accessibility isn't great. You have to log in to view your data every single time, and your internet upload speed has to be really nice for this TO be an effective tool worth buying and using. But all in all, it's not such a bad tool. The speed from getting and sending the data to the storage servers is a lot faster than I thought.

Original review: April 22, 2017

It was easy to set up an account and to use Carbonite. We have click-happy children who don't always use their computers safely. When things go wrong, I'm glad we have our information stored elsewhere and being able to restore our systems to a safe previous version has been very helpful. I like that it saves and protects our data without us having to worry about it or initiate it.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I love feeling safe and secure knowing all my information is stored and I can access it at any time through Carbonite's backup service. It gives me peace of mind knowing my files and photos are backed up safely to the cloud. It has easy file recovery, uses military grade encryption, and advanced security. It was been the most secure cloud service I have used. The process of setting Carbonite up was pretty easy. It has a user friendly dashboard which will answer any questions you may have along the way. I would definitely recommend this cloud service to anyone looking for the most secure.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I like that there is unlimited storage with this company, as I have much that I wish to backup. Setting up an account is immensely simple. I also like that pricing is very straightforward. The process of backing up files is incredibly hands off and you don't have to think much about it. Their *free* premium phone support could use some work. It is slow to get through, and the operators are not incredibly knowledgeable. This isn't to say it is useless, I just think it could definitely use some improvement.

Original review: April 16, 2017

This program was very easy to download to my computer and set up account almost effortless. Files are backed up automatically with really nothing that I have to remember to do so very satisfied with this service. If my computer fails for any reason all my files and information is safe and can be downloaded when I get a new computer or repair old one. The only thing I would change is that I believe the files should be backed up more often maybe everyday as I do a lot of work each day and would not like to lose any files if something would happen to my computer and would like to download all files at once and not individual files.

Original review: April 15, 2017

It keeps your important things safe from accidentally getting deleted, hardware failure or malicious attacks. It was very easy to set up. It was all self explanatory. You just log in to your account and everything is right there, just click a button. And you can access it anywhere you are, from any device. That is the best feature. I would recommend to other people.

Original review: April 14, 2017

They do a great job of keeping my data safe and backed up. They are reliable and very easy to setup your account the way your information will be backed up and secured. They have a few plans to choose from that should fit most people needs or wants. But it would be nice to have more pricing tiers, more variety of plans and options for me to chose from and to get the exact custom service I need.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Our cloud service is so easy to use and it's great for training the new employees on. We had help setting it up for the first time but our IT team was so great and learned it pretty quickly. We are going to keep it around for now but I like it. It works great for us and our needs. It fits perfectly. I love the whole system they have going on for them.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I had received a free trial, and it was easy to use and setup. I had no need of help from any customer service professionals. However, I did not purchase the product as I found it more cost effective to simply pay domain hosting fees and store my files there. It has been several years since I used this service. It did not have much in the way of features, simply offered cloud storage with a program that offered auto-backups. It is not highly configurable. Save all or nothing.

Carbonite expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carbonite is a leading cloud backup service that protects users’ data. Since its founding in 2005, Carbonite has backed up more than 500 billion files, averaging about 350 million files every day. Carbonite is headquartered in Boston with data centers across the United States.

• Anytime, anywhere access: Carbonite’s subscription service allows consumers to access their data from anywhere whenever they need it.

• Plan options: Carbonite for home subscriptions start at $59.99 per year for basic service. Plus and Prime subscriptions are available at $99.99 and $149.99 per year respectively.

• Mirror image backup: Consumers who enroll in Carbonite Plus or Carbonite Prime have access to mirror image backup. This service creates a local backup of the client’s hard drive, including the operating system.

• Courier recovery service: Carbonite Prime clients have access to Carbonite’s courier recovery service, which can ship consumers a copy of their backup in the event of excessive downtime.

• Carbonite for office: Carbonite also offers office solutions in both computer and server backup. Computer backup for businesses starts at $269.99 per year, and server backup starts at $599.99 per year.

• Best for: Carbonite is best for consumers and businesses looking for comprehensive backup solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs