2.57/5

Need credit card processing?

Braintree

Need credit card processing?

14 Braintree Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

As a new e-commerce owner, I thought it would be a great idea to use Braintree, which came highly recommended by my platform provider, to handle my payment processes. From memory, there was no questionnaire as to the legitimacy of my business and now, several months after signup, when I've made my first sale, I get an email from "Risk Management" asking for supporting documentation to "complete my application"?

Now I'm already upset. Any documentation needed to complete an onboarding should have taken place the week of signup and this setback meant that I would not receive my payment until the process was complete. Instructions in the email said to simply "reply to this email with the requested documents", which were sensitive by the way, and a bit invasive. They wanted to see my IRS form and a receipt from my manufacturer with my purchases and all of their contact information on it like I'm buying knockoffs from the mafia.

After a week of receiving no response to the documents I sent, I tried calling the number on Braintree's website and listened to the most unprofessional pre-recorded message say that they were unavailable and to "see their website for an appropriate time to call". What business handling other people's money is closed in the middle of the day on a weekday, especially when the website says you're open? (I tried calling several times.) Then I sent an email to PayPal powered by Braintree to ask what was going on and to see if the email I'd received was even legitimate. They confirmed that it was, but I'd have to send another email to get help from them because I didn't use my business email to ask for assistance. I sent the same email from my business account and a week later, still no response.

My business partner tried calling their help line again and was fortunate enough to get an answer. Two weeks have gone by now and the young man we spoke to confirmed that they have not received any of our sent documents. He also says that he doesn't know what happened and that we followed instructions accurately. He had no further information for us and also no solution. I've sent a fourth email to Braintree simply asking for a response to any of the previous emails as they are refusing to disburse the payments from my customers until my application is complete. Really, all I want now is a new service provider. It's been a month and this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Braintree's signup is done through a ticketing system as if you were in a customer support interaction. This means that back-and-forth messaging, which takes 1-2 days for a response, takes at minimum a week to complete. Instead of simply asking for information upfront, we were asked new and more ridiculous questions at each exchange. Six email exchanges into the onboarding process is a ridiculous notion, just ask your questions upfront and bring at least a passing understanding of how a marketplace works so that I don't have to spell it out for you. Still, each email had new, totally different, and inappropriate questions for a vendor to be asking. For example:

- As the merchant of record, do you understand that you are responsible for refunds and chargebacks? Are they serious with this? Did they do ANY research on the information I provided to see what experience we have with payments? Nope.

- Who are your service providers? How do you vet them? A: This is none of your business. B: This is none of your business. Do not engage with Braintree unless you feel like justifying every aspect of your model to their satisfaction. This is some mafia-level behavior and is totally unacceptable.

- How does your company confirm that services/goods are provided? This is a fine question to ask IN THE FIRST EMAIL. It'd be better to ask it during signup or even better, on a phone call. It's unacceptable that they made this question up after SIX exchanges.

Their insinuation was that we don't know what business we're running or have the slightest idea of how payments work. As if we haven't been a party to billions of dollars of payments in our team's careers. I've worked on my share of vendor contracts in my career and the behavior I saw in the signup process was a huge red flag. In this business service is everything, you're better off going with a company that knows what it's doing- as Braintree clearly doesn't. I cannot stress this enough- I've moved forward with contracts that were muddy upfront in the past and always regretted it. If this is how bad signup is, can you imagine actually doing business with Braintree? Hard, hard, hardest of passes.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

That is the worst ever customer support I have ever experienced. They've closed my account without any explanation when I sold my beauty products through their system and never refund me. Stay away from this company is a fraud!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Thieves. Beware of this company shady practices. I do not want their services, they are holding on to my money which they took without a fully processed application. They required me to send verifying documents to prove who I am so they could approve my application. Meanwhile they have processed and took payments from my customers. They have given me the option to close my account, and they will refund the money back to the customer. For services I have already given. The only other option they say is to prove who I am, otherwise they will not give me my money and will continue to hold on to it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It was a pain in the start to get the system working, the use was absolute nightmare, then it turn out to be fraud magnet. They say on their site that: "Braintree includes sophisticated fraud protection for merchants of every size, at no additional cost.” That is 100% **, when the scammer find out you use Braintree, they will start hitting you and because the Braintree is so absolutely bad, they will hit. Then Braintree will close your account, hold your money, start threatening you and take your money. Please stay away from them, use anything else but now Braintree, they should be called Paintree.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Braintree?

Original review: May 30, 2018

It is very sad that we put our trust in card processing companies that are supposed to protect us from the bad big wolves. For the past few days American Express Card keeps alerting me about charges on a blue card going over the limit imposed. Open the card access the summary and BEHOLD I found an array of fraudulent description of a business starting with name, physical address, but just a REAL phone number connecting this business (BILLFOLD LLC. Restaurant!!!) to Braintree (all transactions drawn through Braintree and dutifully charged through them). Isn’t the Braintree (PayPal subsidiary or such) to verifying the business that are using them as “middleman” between us and THEM (aka BILLFOLD LLC)?

I have tried to get in touched to the Braintree legal department... well, no luck. I have proof (very detailed) from American Express Card for this transactions and every time Braintree phone number connected to the invoice and the named above (non) existing business was dutifully used... By the way that business by way of Braintree is still trying to charge the credit card. Looks like the TREE has too many branches, one must clean some. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I would not recommend this payment processor for your business. I had an account in good standing with them for a few years. However, once our business picked up (I have an online computer store) they decided that it is for some reason too risky for them and closed our account by giving only a few days notice. I only had 2 chargebacks with them in the beginning (a few years ago). No other issues at all. Luckily, they have released all my funds that they put on hold during 2 reviews.

Original review: April 11, 2017

A simple warning. Be careful when dealing with PayPal/Braintree. I'm not normally one to boycott a place of business, however I've just learned the hard way that their business practices are very sketchy. After they stole hundreds of dollars I've found other horror stories with the same exact experiences as ours. How they can operate like this and not be shut down is very strange. After jumping through all their hoops to approve our business to use their services we started to earning money then they froze our account without notice and stole our money with no good reason. Every time we called they were not willing to work with us and had a different story every time. Don't trust their words... record everything they say.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The monthly limits can be limiting if you do a ton of business. Just as long as you get the package that lets you do a lot of transactions then you will be set. The fee structure is pretty easy to understand. You just pay a small fee for each transaction. It's just a recall small fee, always under a dollar. The customer support is pretty good. Whenever I have a question or comment, they are quick to answer and give me whatever feedback I need. They are also very courteous and nice. The equipment variety is pretty good. You just plug it up on your phone and use it. It's very simple and easy to use. It's also easy for the customer to use their credit card.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

There are no limits to this company. It's the best one to choose in this field. They have very reasonable fees. Many worry about this part. My advice to you would be to pick this plan that fits your needs. There is no need in getting the highest package. Dealing with this type of service you always want to have 24-hour customer service and that's exactly what they offer you. You can contact them through the phone, email, and online. Who would've guessed that such a company offer such great deals all in one place? They have a variety of equipment that can help all needs in this line of work.

Braintree expert review by Beverly Harzog

This is a PayPal company that offers an online and mobile payments platform. BrainTree has a simple integration that gives your online business access to not only PayPal, but also to credit cards and debit cards, Bitcoin, Apple Pay, Venmo and Android Pay.

• Hosted Fields: These are small transparent iframes that replace sensitive credit card inputs in your checkout process. This meets the latest requirements for PCI security.

• Drop-in UI integration: Just drop in a few lines of prepared code and you’re ready to open for business. Customizing your own checkout flow is also an option. BrainTree makes sure all processes are PCI-compliant.

• International reach: BrainTree works in dozens of countries and 130 different currencies to help businesses achieve an incredible global reach and increase profits.

• PayPal One Touch: Customers log in only once and then can complete purchases across other apps. Fewer clicks and faster checkouts.

• Fraud protection: Advanced security features include verifying the three-digit code on the back of a card as well as a customizable Address Verification System (AVS).

• Android Pay and Apple Pay: A digital wallet that stores customer’s payment methods for their convenience.

• Recurring billing: Excellent for subscription services, monthly fees, recurring donations, and more. You can customize “retry logic” to retry past-due subscriptions.

• Best for: Those who need a mobile payments solution and want a simple and easy-to-implement system, all online retailers and even large enterprises. Also, businesses who want to stay up-to-date with new and exciting payment options.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
      Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Braintree Company Information