3.5/5 (59 ratings)

About Braintree

Braintree Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Braintree?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Braintree?

Original review: March 27, 2021

My name is Joe ** President of HAUNTEDPROPS.COM. Beware of this scam company. I still have $800 of my money. THEY TRICK YOU INTO SIGNING UP A fake Paypal company too. Please call me anytime for details **.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Our company has been using Braintree for many years. When we first signed up they seemed like a great option - they were helpful and responsive. But since then they've been bought by Paypal and now their services have declined and their support is atrocious. There is no way to contact them by telephone for support major red flag) though there is a phone number to call them for sales support (imagine that!). So if you have a problem with one of the most important parts of your business (accepting payments) the best you can do is go through their annoying online form that tries to steer you to generally useless support articles and then finally to an email form. After you email them you receive a note stating "Thanks for reaching out! Due to increased inbound volume, responses may take longer than usual, but a Support rep will be in touch as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience."

I can't imagine any product or service that I paid this much money to year after year that does not provide telephone support. Their email support, once you finally get a response is also of low quality. The people who respond seem to just cut and paste generic information and links to support articles that do not answer the question. I can understand businesses wanting to reduce the amount of time they spend answering the same questions over and over, but the idea that you have a business that is taking 3% of your company's revenue and they won't provide the support you need when you need it, is truly astounding. I recommend you look elsewhere for your merchant processing.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

This company is a joke. They closed our account and did not provide any details. They are also holding our funds. Do not recommend. Stay away from this joke company. What a waste of time. Do not recommend at all.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I applied June 2020 for a Braintree account and also for a Sandbox - no Problem. We got the account after 5 days. We had to test Payment processing with Paypal and we had some problems with Braintree Paypal - Credit cards was working fine. We are building a fashion store for kids. On 13 Jan I got an email: "Your account was recently flagged in an effort to verify your business model and the subsequent risk associated with your *********** account." We provide all Paperwork they ask for and one day later, "Your **** EUR account was recently flagged in an effort to verify your business model and the subsequent risk associated with your account. During the review, we were unable to mitigate these concerns, and unfortunately, we will be closing your account on Friday, January 15th at 9 am CST." I called them and ask what else they need - NOTHING. We DON'T WANT YOU! RIDICULOUS THESE COMPANIES.

Original review: March 24, 2020

After using Braintree for my website for a few months, I get a lot of spam orders and a lot of chargebacks, Braintree looks the protection is a catastrophe. Never use it again. If Braintree charge the processing fee, they must secure all the transaction processing, but finally no, they don't really care the transaction security, stay away.

Original review: July 21, 2019

As a new e-commerce owner, I thought it would be a great idea to use Braintree, which came highly recommended by my platform provider, to handle my payment processes. From memory, there was no questionnaire as to the legitimacy of my business and now, several months after signup, when I've made my first sale, I get an email from "Risk Management" asking for supporting documentation to "complete my application"?

Now I'm already upset. Any documentation needed to complete an onboarding should have taken place the week of signup and this setback meant that I would not receive my payment until the process was complete. Instructions in the email said to simply "reply to this email with the requested documents", which were sensitive by the way, and a bit invasive. They wanted to see my IRS form and a receipt from my manufacturer with my purchases and all of their contact information on it like I'm buying knockoffs from the mafia.

After a week of receiving no response to the documents I sent, I tried calling the number on Braintree's website and listened to the most unprofessional pre-recorded message say that they were unavailable and to "see their website for an appropriate time to call". What business handling other people's money is closed in the middle of the day on a weekday, especially when the website says you're open? (I tried calling several times.) Then I sent an email to PayPal powered by Braintree to ask what was going on and to see if the email I'd received was even legitimate. They confirmed that it was, but I'd have to send another email to get help from them because I didn't use my business email to ask for assistance. I sent the same email from my business account and a week later, still no response.

My business partner tried calling their help line again and was fortunate enough to get an answer. Two weeks have gone by now and the young man we spoke to confirmed that they have not received any of our sent documents. He also says that he doesn't know what happened and that we followed instructions accurately. He had no further information for us and also no solution. I've sent a fourth email to Braintree simply asking for a response to any of the previous emails as they are refusing to disburse the payments from my customers until my application is complete. Really, all I want now is a new service provider. It's been a month and this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Braintree's signup is done through a ticketing system as if you were in a customer support interaction. This means that back-and-forth messaging, which takes 1-2 days for a response, takes at minimum a week to complete. Instead of simply asking for information upfront, we were asked new and more ridiculous questions at each exchange. Six email exchanges into the onboarding process is a ridiculous notion, just ask your questions upfront and bring at least a passing understanding of how a marketplace works so that I don't have to spell it out for you. Still, each email had new, totally different, and inappropriate questions for a vendor to be asking. For example:

- As the merchant of record, do you understand that you are responsible for refunds and chargebacks? Are they serious with this? Did they do ANY research on the information I provided to see what experience we have with payments? Nope.

- Who are your service providers? How do you vet them? A: This is none of your business. B: This is none of your business. Do not engage with Braintree unless you feel like justifying every aspect of your model to their satisfaction. This is some mafia-level behavior and is totally unacceptable.

- How does your company confirm that services/goods are provided? This is a fine question to ask IN THE FIRST EMAIL. It'd be better to ask it during signup or even better, on a phone call. It's unacceptable that they made this question up after SIX exchanges.

Their insinuation was that we don't know what business we're running or have the slightest idea of how payments work. As if we haven't been a party to billions of dollars of payments in our team's careers. I've worked on my share of vendor contracts in my career and the behavior I saw in the signup process was a huge red flag. In this business service is everything, you're better off going with a company that knows what it's doing- as Braintree clearly doesn't. I cannot stress this enough- I've moved forward with contracts that were muddy upfront in the past and always regretted it. If this is how bad signup is, can you imagine actually doing business with Braintree? Hard, hard, hardest of passes.

Original review: April 8, 2019

That is the worst ever customer support I have ever experienced. They've closed my account without any explanation when I sold my beauty products through their system and never refund me. Stay away from this company is a fraud!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Thieves. Beware of this company shady practices. I do not want their services, they are holding on to my money which they took without a fully processed application. They required me to send verifying documents to prove who I am so they could approve my application. Meanwhile they have processed and took payments from my customers. They have given me the option to close my account, and they will refund the money back to the customer. For services I have already given. The only other option they say is to prove who I am, otherwise they will not give me my money and will continue to hold on to it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It was a pain in the start to get the system working, the use was absolute nightmare, then it turn out to be fraud magnet. They say on their site that: "Braintree includes sophisticated fraud protection for merchants of every size, at no additional cost.” That is 100% **, when the scammer find out you use Braintree, they will start hitting you and because the Braintree is so absolutely bad, they will hit. Then Braintree will close your account, hold your money, start threatening you and take your money. Please stay away from them, use anything else but now Braintree, they should be called Paintree.

Braintree author review by Beverly Harzog

This is a PayPal company that offers an online and mobile payments platform. BrainTree has a simple integration that gives your online business access to not only PayPal, but also to credit cards and debit cards, Bitcoin, Apple Pay, Venmo and Android Pay.

• Hosted Fields: These are small transparent iframes that replace sensitive credit card inputs in your checkout process. This meets the latest requirements for PCI security.

• Drop-in UI integration: Just drop in a few lines of prepared code and you’re ready to open for business. Customizing your own checkout flow is also an option. BrainTree makes sure all processes are PCI-compliant.

• International reach: BrainTree works in dozens of countries and 130 different currencies to help businesses achieve an incredible global reach and increase profits.

• PayPal One Touch: Customers log in only once and then can complete purchases across other apps. Fewer clicks and faster checkouts.

• Fraud protection: Advanced security features include verifying the three-digit code on the back of a card as well as a customizable Address Verification System (AVS).

• Android Pay and Apple Pay: A digital wallet that stores customer’s payment methods for their convenience.

• Recurring billing: Excellent for subscription services, monthly fees, recurring donations, and more. You can customize “retry logic” to retry past-due subscriptions.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Braintree Company Information