3.72/5
based on 918 ratings
4.00/5

I did a home inspection when I bought the house years ago and First American came recommended by one of the realtors. I've had them for a few years and I've been happy with them up until a recent situation where I thought I had coverage but didn’t. The coverage has been the same and I re-up it every year but I don’t look at it. At one point about a year or so ago, I had a discussion with regards the roof and I was told that everything was covered except the roof. Then my washer burned up this time so I called and they told me the washer and dryer are not covered. I asked how I can change my policy and that I was willing to change it now but I didn’t like their answer that it would have to be when I get to re-up in December. There’s nothing I can do so I had to go out and buy a new washer and dryer.

Also, I have 2 AC units in my house and I had some AC problems. Nothing stopped working but we wanted to get them repaired in a better situation. I inquired on the what ifs when they go out and how it all works, and the rep walked me through. But it took forever in a day to get the claim ironed out because First American was going back and forth with the contractor and took about 4 weeks, which is longer than usual. Before the claim got resolved and the AC eventually got repaired, I still had a lot of phone time calling in between the contractors telling me to contact First American and I had to explain the situation to them 4 or 5 times. Still, First American has been good all along.

5.00/5

The realtor suggested getting a home warranty for the house I bought had been in foreclosure and the real estate agent recommended First American. I'd recommend them too. I’ve had claims on my heating and cooling and it’s been very easy. Custom Heating and Air is the provider and they're always on top of it within 24 hours. On the other hand, I’ve had some plumbing issues and it was pulling teeth. They didn't have but one plumber. I've submitted claims lots of times and they need to have more service providers.

4.00/5

They coordinated a company to come fix our refrigerator. Great response and got the job done. Professional service and great expertise. I would recommend this program to others that want the best care for their home. I have had this program for over three years.

5.00/5

We've had First American for 10 years. The reps are courteous and I haven’t had any difficulties. I've had only one unpleasant experience that didn’t work out too well, but it’s not a problem. I've recommended them to a couple of my friends.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your business Sal!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Our house is going to be nine years old and I said, "Well this is the time that things can start failing." We got a warranty from First American. They're awesome and their work for us has been excellent. Submitting a claim wasn't bad. We call in and then fax in the paperwork. Their techs were very professional. They knew what they were doing and were very knowledgeable and courteous. I'm going to refer First American to my son as he owns a house as well.

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your comments Eunice! Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I was young when I bought the house and First American was the one that my realtor suggested. It was required and I've kept it. Being young and single, it came in handy. I live far from my parents so it was very beneficial to have that kind of service at a cheap price. I've had First American for 15 years. Within the first year of boarding my house, my water heater went out. At that time, it was only $50 service charge.

It’s easy when you call them to put a claim in. You can submit a claim online but I prefer doing it in person. I rarely get put on hold and it doesn't take a lot of time. My husband tried to call once and it took him longer than I normally do. Within two business days usually, I can get someone out. And sometimes sooner if we ask. In the last five years, I've had the air conditioner fixed twice and they're good. When I couldn’t get it fixed and they suggested a place that couldn't come soon enough, they were willing to look for other service providers within their area to make it speedier. It was the heat of the summer and it was nice. I've never thought about changing them because their customer service is very helpful and I've never had a problem.

The claims representatives were super friendly and nice. When things break that I'm not familiar with and I tell them what it's doing, they listen. I've never had a problem with their customer service. One time there was an issue with the house and we can't wait that long so they called around and found someone that could come sooner. The technicians are good. There was only one that wasn’t and you learn as you go. When they replaced my garbage disposal, my husband and I didn't even bother to check it out. And it was our fault not understanding the terms so I don't blame First American. He didn't install it properly. Luckily my dad came and was able to help me fix it. They didn't tighten something down and my dad knew how to do it. It wasn't a big deal. All the other technicians have done everything thoroughly and explained it. I ask a lot of questions and they were willing to answer.

It got really hot here in Texas in May and our air conditioner went out. A young man came quickly and at that time, he didn't need help doing what he thought needed to be done. He came the next day with somebody else to help figure out why our air conditioner wasn't working. He was a young guy and there's something he could have done but he just told me what to do. Because if he did it, it wasn't covered by my warranty and he'd have to charge me. It was taking some wires that had been weathered and putting electrical tape on them. When you have somebody that could have charged me something without explaining but chose to do the right thing, you can't beat that. My husband and I have been highly satisfied with everything including the people that they provide except for the time when they fixed the garbage disposal.

I've saved a lot of money over the years between two air conditioners, two heating times they had to come out, the garbage disposal, the hot water tank and the first year of living here by myself. They've also saved me a lot of heartaches. They fixed my garage once too and I have no complaints. I don't foresee ever changing and as long as I own this house I will keep them because of all that they've done. Not everyone has the same experience but I've enjoyed them. I have recommended them to a couple of ladies.

5.00/5

We've been a customer of First American since 1999. We stayed with them because we thought we were getting good value. In the beginning, they let us choose the contractors that we wanted if the contractors were a member of their group. However, they've changed that and won't let me choose one. Instead, they sent out whoever they wanted. We didn't like that change because we like to have the same person working on our stuff. But other than that, their technicians were good and our experience with First American has been satisfactory.

5.00/5

We bought a house with First American as a home warranty and filing a claim with them was an easy process. Also, their representative was courteous and helpful.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review Terry!

Original review: June 28, 2017

First American is excellent. I did some research and they look better than other home warranties and they also have a lower payout. I have been submitting my claim online and the website's easy to navigate. I have called when I made my first claim and it went fine.

5.00/5

I signed up with First American off the suggestion of a family member. I used them one time and submitted my claim over the phone. It was easy and the rep I spoke with was pleasant. He helped me through the whole process and told me what to expect. The air conditioning gentleman that came out asked a lot of questions. They were really busy so it took him a little while to get it done, but nothing bad happened and it was just standard customer service. Overall, I'm happy. I have a different company for my other house and I'll probably gonna switch it to First American as well.

5.00/5

The Realtor suggested a home warranty and recommended First American Home Buyers Protection when I bought my house. It was a good idea. Submitting a claim was easy and it went very well. The claims representative was very professional and polite and the technicians were all very confident and explained everything. On top of that, their work quality was very good. It was a satisfying experience.

5.00/5

When I purchased my home, I chose First American as my home warranty company and in the short time I've had them, they've been pretty good. They've been very kind and very nice every time we have to file a claim. And the times that we have had to call, they've been pretty cordial on the phone and accurate about getting somebody out there to our house to do any type of repairs. Then the techs did the work that needed to be done and were in and out in a timely manner. I like the fact that they reached out to notify that they're going to be 30 minutes out so we can plan accordingly with our busy schedules. It's very helpful and professional. So far, everything has been done to what they said they were going to be doing and I'm very pleased. Hopefully they continue doing what they're doing and servicing our home if we do need them. That's why we pay insurance.

5.00/5

I got the suggestion that I should have a home warranty. A friend of mine introduced to me First American Home Warranty. Their claims representative was nice. The company helped me with electrical and other issues, but I wasn’t aware that it’s $65 for each claim. That’s not a big deal though. The technicians they sent out were good people as well. There was some leaking on the roof in regards to the air conditioning. When I turned the AC on, the thermostat was also not working properly. They found the problem on their second visit, so when they came back, they fixed the roof and cleaned the thermostat. The thermostat is working right now. I hope it stays fixed for a long time. I would recommend this company to a friend.

5.00/5

We wanted to get a home warranty when we bought our house and our real estate agent recommended First American Home Warranty. We have them since end of September. The first time we filed a claim was within a month after we moved in. We noticed that our AC unit wasn’t blowing cold. Since we have an AC service company that checks our AC periodically, we had them come out. After that company cleaned the unit and serviced it, they said it was low on coolants. They recommended that we replace the unit in the future. I said, “Well, before we do that, let me call the home warranty people because I'm pretty sure that that’s covered. They’ll repair it if they can, and if they can't, they’ll replace it.”

I called First American and they sent a contractor. They filled the coolant up and it was working fine. They also noticed that there was a flexible pipe going into the gas feed for it. They said that’s a fire hazard. I had them replace what was necessary to make that up to code. That was outside of the terms of the home warranty, but the contractor offered to do that as an additional cost. They also said that there may be a leak but they can't tell at that time.

Less than a month ago, we thought that the AC unit was leaking again. So the contractor came out and they found that there was a valve that they replaced as part of the service that was leaking. They got everything up and going, and things are going well. First American Home Warranty is easier to work with than the other home warranty companies that I've had in the past. They don’t give me a big runaround. They’re direct and they take care of things without giving headaches or making me jump through hoops. I've recommended them to friends.

5.00/5

We've had First American for 17 years now. We’ve used them in California and here, and we've had very good luck with them. We submitted a claim around a month ago for our washer that we thought was too loud. I called them and the process has been easy as always. The technician ran a couple of tests and they showed nothing, but he gave me a couple of good ideas, and I've been doing those. We liked him because he knew what he was doing, which was nice, and we had no problem. First American is one company I don’t dread calling because I can understand the people that I talk to. That makes a big deal with me.

5.00/5

I switched from another home warranty company to First American Home Warranty based on a referral and from past experiences from one of First American's customers. Dealing with them has been a very good experience. It’s been easy to open a claim and I haven’t had any issues.

5.00/5

When we bought our house, our realtor made the sellers do a home warranty. My realtor chooses for people when they buy houses and First American is the company she automatically goes with. The sellers bought from First American Home Buyers Protection and we kept it going. I've sent claims online and over the phone before and both have been easy processes. The reps are very courteous and knowledgeable. One time when I submitted a claim, they didn't put in the right information. They didn't charge me when they came out the next time to take care of my problem. They paid the cost of the visit for me.

We've had three claims and each time has been a pleasant experience. I'm always the one that's present whenever the technicians come and they're always friendly. The last one we had was wearing rubber boots and he took them off to come in. I told him he didn't have to, but he said no and didn't wear them to the house. Most of the time, the technicians do extensive work, but last time, all the technician did was unjam something, which was quick. Overall I'm very satisfied with the work that First American does and with their people. I'd recommend them and I've given their number to other people.

4.00/5

I had put in a claim to First American for an air condition unit. Prior to them coming out, I had Acree take a look at it since I have a contract with them. They found a coil that was leaking and they filled it up with Freon. I called First American and they said, "As long as it's working, we can't do anything with it." They said when it stops working to give them a call and they will come back. They charged the $60 fee. And they said if it stopped working within 30 days that they wouldn't charge me the fee. But the 30 days has gone by. The technician was very informative and friendly. We sat and talked for quite a while about air conditioning, his company and other companies he's worked for. And he was very courteous and nice.

5.00/5

I’ve always got a home warranty when I purchased my home 25 years ago and I switched to First American. My sister referred them to me because she had good experiences with them. Submitting a claim was easy because you can do it over the phone. The claims reps were professional and able to answer my questions. My refrigerator was out and the first company they gave me could not come out for a couple of days. I called back and they found me somebody that could come out that afternoon, but ended up being the next morning. But they took care of the issue, trying to find me somebody that could come out quicker. The techs that came were on time and fixed the problem quickly. They did a very good job.

5.00/5

My income is limited and I was completely unfamiliar with my house. The house is not brand new, the appliances are used and I don’t know how abused they are. So I need a home warranty if I’m going to be living here and everything breaks down. It was easy submitting a claim to First American. I had my air conditioner serviced and the technician did a good job. It was a great experience. Overall, the whole process was satisfactory.

5.00/5

I submit my claims over the phone, however, I need to learn to do it online because it's hard over the phone. They don’t understand my southern dialect. My recent call was a claim on my air conditioner. The first guy they sent was horrible. He promised to order a part and he'd be back but two weeks later he still hasn't come. I'm in Mississippi and it's hot down here so I called First American back and told them that I don't want the same guy to come. They said they had policies and that guy needs to finish the job but I refused. So, they told me to wait for 30 days. I would die if I had to wait for 30 days so I asked to speak to a supervisor. The guy on the phone was very accommodating and they were able to get me someone new.

The second guy that First American got also ordered a part for the A/C and unfortunately, his workers, and not him, were the ones who came and put the cord in. My A/C is upstairs in the attic and they didn't put some tubing back so when they ran some water, it leaked all onto my ceiling and garage. The guy explained to me about it and he said he would repair and make it right. I'm having him to look at it tomorrow because I'm having the same issue which started today. Other than that, he was very nice and he did everything he said he would do.

5.00/5

I call First American when I submit a claim and I didn't have any problems. They seemed like they have handled the claim fast and got the job done. And I'm satisfied with their work.

4.00/5

With a home warranty, I can pay monthly which is much easier than making a big payment when something goes wrong. My realtor recommended First American Home Warranty and I signed up with them. I call them when submitting a claim and the representative takes the information and then have the company contact me to set up an appointment. But there has been a couple of times when they the claims department was busy and they told me to leave my phone number and they called me back. And that worked well. I have always gotten very prompt service but I am dissatisfied with the plumber they sent a long time ago. I kept telling First American that I don’t want that particular plumber but somehow he's always at the top of the list when I need plumbing. I had this plumber before and I was satisfied but he didn’t back his employer. And he left me in a bigger mess than I was to begin with. After that, I didn’t want to mess with him. First American finally sent somebody else out and he did a great job.

With the exception of the plumber, I’ve had very good experience with their technicians. They cleaned up after themselves and I'm very satisfied with the quality of their work. I had a technician come out in December to fix my range but the check has never come through the bank and I keep getting letters from the collection agency. I need to write a letter to the collection agency because I've got a paid receipt and I'd be more than glad to half the cost of the shipping payment and then pay the rest of it. But I can't get hold of anybody. It's a Sears technician and they keep transferring me to a phone call in some other state and the last time I talked to them, they said I had to deal directly with the collection agency. So I need to get it out because it would make my bank account much happier to have it all cleared up. But overall, I have been very pleased of what First American did.

5.00/5

First American Home Warranty has the best coverage. They don't have a cap on their policy regarding air conditioning unlike other warranty companies do. I usually call when submitting claims and their people are pleasant and accommodating. They genuinely try to help and they're apologetic if there's a problem. We had dealt with their claims rep regarding a plumbing issue. We had upgraded faucets and they needed to be replaced. They said that they will replace it but only with a standard low-grade faucet. So, I chose to do a buy-out and it ended up being $69 for the two faucets. The $69 was fine but I didn’t like that they won’t pay for the plumber to install the replacement faucets. The plumbing company had done everything to tell me that it was not covered. I called the warranty company and they said that it is covered. So, I'm in limbo if I have an outstanding problem right now and it has to do with plumbing.

Some of the techs that came were better than the others. We had such a negative experience with the plumbing issue but we got it taken care of. The plumber wanted to cut into my wall and my husband asked, "You don't really have to do that, do you?" They found another way around so it turned out okay. When I get an ongoing issue with the plumbing again, it'll be the third time they come out with the bathtub. But, they said they're going to get it taken care of.

First American Home Warranty is still the top of the line warranty company over others. Through the years, I've had bad experiences with several other companies so overall, First American has the best record as far as getting back to you or having their technicians to get back with you in a timely manner versus not hearing anything for several days. Through the years, we've gone back and forth with First American and were back with them again. They're the best. I would definitely recommend them to my friend and to my client.

5.00/5

My realtor got me First American when I purchased my house and since I've had it, I have submitted two claims. I did them online and it was a very, very easy process. Dealing with the technician was very positive and everything was done really well. I thought they were a scam at first but my experience with them has been very positive and I anticipate renewing it once my year is up. It's a really good product and it has a great value.

5.00/5

First American was on this home when we bought it, and the first couple of times we used it, we were extremely satisfied. They've been very prompt, honest, and knowledgeable, and my claims have been taken care of quickly. The technicians who had been here have been very good. I’ve never had to call somebody to come back and redo something or continue doing it because they didn’t do a good job. It’s been good work every time. However, some contractors don’t always call like they’re supposed to but it's not First American's fault. That has been very few though and when that goes on, I tell First American and they've done well trying to correct the problem. I’ve already recommended First American to some other people.

5.00/5

When I purchased the house, the First American warranty was part of the deal, and I stuck with it once it expired. They’ve been helpful and everything’s been satisfactory. The technicians are responsive and come within 24 hours. They diagnosed the problems and then solved it. I had one issue with the last claim I submitted but there was a computer glitch and the plumbing company never received it. I had to call, but other than that, it’s been good and that wasn’t a big deal. Unfortunately, there’s a negative perception about home warranties. People expect a lot more than what they pay for, but as long as they educate themselves about warranties, they’re gonna have a good overall experience. And, I’ve had that so far.

5.00/5

We've had First American ever since we were selling a house several years ago. We had one contractor last year that wasn’t the sharpest, but overall the service has been good. The First American reps have done a good job and we're very happy. We'd recommend them.

3.00/5

We just bought the house about a month ago and the previous owners had First American and so we took over their policy. The sales reps were great and I told them that everything is in order, quick and great, so far. Last week, our air conditioner broke down and the guy from First American came over right away. There was a squeaky sound from the fan and he said that the motor was bad. I left him for five minutes and he was done. He came over all the way to Titusville, Orlando, and then just lubricated the fan. I paid him $75 service charge.

Three days later, the air conditioner completely broke down in this hot weather and I hoped the same guy is coming again. He knew something was not right and the A/C would break down soon but he didn’t fix it. That's the thing that I didn't like because if somebody already knew that something is wrong, I would like them to fix it for me. He said I won't need to pay again since it was a recall but I had to wait for him for three or four days later and it's so hot. Other than that, the service is great.

5.00/5

I have bought a new home here and whenever I buy one, I always get a home warranty. I went out and picked First American Home Warranty and so far, I've been successful in submitting a claim. Their process has been very easy, the claims representative has been very professional and very helpful and the technicians provided good service. The repairs and quality of work were good but I had an issue with the length of time to get the parts. It took me about six weeks to get the last repair I had because first, the part that was ordered was incorrect and then when the parts have come, they're saying I have to wait to be scheduled with the contractors. Nevertheless, I was satisfied overall.