3.73/5
based on 952 ratings

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for being a loyal customer Victoria!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I've been with First American for three years. I had Old Republic before, but they doubled my rate after a year and I wasn’t really happy with that. I found First American online. I looked at the top 10 companies at ConsumerAffairs' home warranty group. First American gave me a competitive rate that was similar to the rate that I had at Old Republic. It was a little bit more but not twice as much. In addition, the previous owner of the house had their home warranty through First American which was a nice caveat. It's been super easy to submit claims. I can do it online at any time of the day and I don't have to call in. It's super easy to sign-in and I'd get a service request in there in three clicks. That’s really a convenience.

I've had five claims and I used to I'd get a call back within 24 hours. I called in for our dishwasher that's not functioning very well right now, but Sears had pushed the appointment back by two weeks. Other than that, all my experience with the contractors has been super positive. I always tell all my friends to always keep their home warranty because they don't want a $3000 expense for a new furnace or something when they could pay an annual fee plus $75.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your business Damis!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

The warranty company that I had seemed to be too busy that it was very difficult to submit work orders to them and so I figured that there has to be a better alternative. The experience with First American went well. I contact them when I need them and just pay the bill. Submitting a claim was very simple. I call them, tell the problem and the location, then they went ahead and find someone to do it. So far, so good with the technicians as they came in, made the repair and then left. They also cleaned up after themselves.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Zara!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

When I submit a claim to First American, it's an easy process. I call in and the reps that I speak to are very polite, compassionate and caring concerning the situation. The contractor that came out was very experienced and replaced the garbage disposal. He had been a plumber and I was trying to see if he could fix the leak around the base of the sink. But he said that wasn’t something that falls into that category, and that I would have to call a cabinet maker because the seal around the sink tub needs re-caulking. But he did a beautiful job in coming quickly and putting in a new garbage disposal. With First American, I have excellent feedback and support when I call in and I would recommend it to anybody that needs to have a home warranty company.

5.00/5

We've been First American members for 15 years and they’ve been terrific and consistently good. We have good interactions whenever we speak with the reps and our experiences are fine with the techs they send out. First American is a very decent company and they’re certainly worth-considering.

5.00/5

I was with another home warranty company and they were trash. So, we fired them and they fired us. Then I talked to a representative with First American and he was very nice, knowledgeable and told me that what happened to me with the other company would not happen at First American because of the way their by-laws were written. I felt very comfortable. They also had a good rating on the internet. For the claims, my wife usually handles them and does it over the internet, but if it’s urgent then it’s done by phone. Technicians they sent were also good and knowledgeable, and were very courteous when they got to the house. And because of the treatment we've gotten, I recommended my daughter to go with them.

5.00/5

I bought a house that wasn't new and went with First American out of a recommendation, and I've had a good experience with them so far. I make a phone call to them to submit a claim, which is easy and quick. I tell them what I want, they tell me who's coming and when and the contractors show up. I was out of town for a few days and my hot water heater was off when I came back. First American sent somebody out the next day and the issue was fixed. Everything was working and I had hot water then. The contractor told me what was wrong and if something else were to go out again because of it, First American would have to replace it because it still has a little warranty left on it.

5.00/5

First American was the insurance that was part of my home purchase and we have them on the second year now. I have submitted a few claims, normally over the telephone, and I haven’t had any issues with them. They treat me good, always friendly, very helpful, and they check my benefit package if I have questions. Also, I have not had any complaints about the service technicians who have come. First American is a good home warranty and quick. Once I file a claim, I receive the information via email of who was going to be the provider and I tend to call back with them within 24 hours.

5.00/5

When I bought my home, the warranty with First American was included and I paid to continue it after a year. I'm going to be 5 years with them in April and I haven't had any problems. I submit my claims through the phone and it goes by smooth, fast and easy. Things have been good with the technicians as well. Though, I recently called on my garage and then I noticed there's nothing much that’s covered on my garage on the warranty. I had to pay for what needed to be fixed that the warranty wouldn't cover. I also had something on my AC that went out about two years ago, but First American covered that and it was a good experience. I would recommend them and I have talked about them to family members.

5.00/5

I've filed three claims and they’ve all gone smoothly. The issues have been fixed and everything has been straightforward. I like that it has been fast and very simple to file a claim. You can do it over the phone through the automated telephone system and from my experiences, the claims reps have been good and helpful. I had a plumbing issue where the water was backing up out of the washer area. First American sent someone within a day and then the issue was fixed within a few days. I would recommend them.

5.00/5

First American was part of the warranty package when we bought the house 12 years ago. There’s been a couple of times where it took months to get something done because there was a lack of communication between First American and the contractor and I had to call three times to get the communication going. When the contractor came out, he didn’t have the right information. He was supposed to deliver it, not install it, so we had to call in and get a different installer out. It took six weeks to replace the microwave oven. However, this time, submitting a claim was very fast and easy. We had some mice in the attic and pest control was called out to set traps. There was a two-week, three-visit deal that we are working with them and it’s still ongoing, but they’re doing well. They caught one or two mice and they’ll be out next week again to double check how we’re doing.

5.00/5

First American Home Warranty came with my house. Submitting a claim with them, which I do online, was fast and easy. The technicians come out, fix my stuff, and that's it.

5.00/5

We have been with First American for several years and so far, we're satisfied with the contractors they sent. Though the quality of work performed by their contractors was very good, there was one occasion when the HVAC contractor put us back on the back burner. But it was not even his fault since it was the middle of winter when that happened and he had these other complaints that he had to answer before he got to ours. So consequently, we had to wait a considerable length of time. I don’t know what could have been done to change that other than to try to get another contractor, but the contractor who did the HVAC work did a good job and we’re satisfied with it.

5.00/5

I got a home warranty to save money and I've been with First American for nine years now. I submit my claims over the phone and their process was smooth, easy and fast. The reps that I've talked to were friendly and gave me good service. The contractors that they've sent out were reasonably fantastic, knowledgeable and efficient. Their work was great, too.

5.00/5

In the times that my wife and I rented, every time something happened, our landlord took care of it. So we thought being on a warranty would be wise because we won't have to pay out so much money every time yet have some type of benefit that we could continue to move forward. My wife read about First American and we bought their warranty at the same time that we bought our house.

I submit our claims to them over the phone since that is the quickest way to get to them and because I'm not computer savvy. Most of the time it's automated and I couldn't understand the audio. I also had to keep saying something over and over again. Then I wait until it would take me to a person that I could talk to and could understand what I was saying. But sometimes my call went right through. The contractors that they have sent were very good, patient and respectable. They were communicating and explaining different things, plus their work was done very well. We've been satisfied with First American but we didn’t know that their fee was going to go up $15. It’s still worth it, though, and I would recommend them.

5.00/5

We've been with First American for four years now and I’ve enjoyed the way they do business. Submitting claims was quick and they handled it. The technicians they've sent out were nice, knowledgeable and helpful. So far, the quality of their work has been good. Recently, the dishwasher had loose wires and it wasn't coming on. It happened over a weekend so I had to wait for Monday but they were still able to get to that in a timely fashion.

5.00/5

We’ve been with First American for over 13 years or so. The previous owner of the home added it to their contract to sell. We picked it up and kept it. There were multiple issues that happened which First American have taken care of and the largest one was when our heating and air conditioning went out on the bottom floor. They took care of all of that last year. I submitted that claim online and their website has gotten better over the past four years. It's self-explanatory. I got in there, did what I needed to do, and got out.

I utilized the people that they sent out. We’ve had a couple occasions when we’ve had contractors come out then decided to turn down doing the work, but they then sent someone else out. A few years ago, it took over a month for the system to be fixed and also took a year during the summer. When we had our whole unit go out last year, they’ve done so many repairs to it that they've decided to go and replace the whole thing at a minimal cost out of our pocket. That worked out for us. Overall, with the way their website works, First American has a simple process of getting things done. I’ve had other previous home ownership situations with other companies and First American is the best I’ve ever used.

5.00/5

I've had First American ever since I purchased my house, so it’s been 13 years. I've always filed my claims over the phone and it's been very easy and quick. Their representatives were great. And, the technicians that they’ve sent out were very professional and on time. My experience with this company has been seamless.

5.00/5

Our toilet was leaking and running and different technicians came out from the same company. They would do something but it wouldn't help and it took four times for them to fix it. We could have done it with fewer visits but they were very nice. We've been with First American for years and I've been really happy with them. It’s easy to submit claims and dealing with the claims reps has been pleasant. There is also peace of mind that if something goes wrong in the house that’s expensive and I don’t have the money for it, I know that I’ve got First American.

5.00/5

I've had First American Home Warranty for almost six years now. I had submitted all my claims online. Once I've understood how they set up their drop-down menus on their website and what's covered under them, it was very easy to submit claims. On the other hand, when I had the fire alarms replaced, they only had four out of six so they had to order them. It was about a week and a half, two-week delay. Other than that, they are a good, solid company, they stand behind their product and they've lived up to their promise with respect to what they cover.

5.00/5

I bumped into a First American representative and she gave me her card. I called her and pulled First American up online and it was very appealing. Then she said that if I had any kind of issue, to give her a call. I normally call First American when submitting claims. My interactions with the rep were excellent and the technician that came was very good, and I’ve been very pleased. The quality of work was very good and I have referred First American too. I feel very comfortable that I will be taken care of and they are not going to send out jackleg, and there's not going to be callbacks and those types of things. I'm very pleased with the service and the contractors that are used. I don't have any complaints and enjoyed being with them. They are excellent all the way through.

5.00/5

I have kept First American ever since I bought the house. Submitting claims has been very easy to do. Dealing with their claims reps has been excellent. The reps are very courteous and nice. They are also timely, they follow up and say what they were going to do. The pool guys they've sent were wonderful. The girl I just talked to followed up really courteously for me. I'm waiting on a part for my microwave. The experience was great and I'm very pleased. The quality of their tech's work is more than adequate. Keep your insurance after the first year. It's worth it.

5.00/5

I submitted a claim to First American online and it was very fast. It was also handled with flexibility. I got an update from the claims representative and so far, I had no other issues. The technician was fine, too. When I recommended them to other people, I told them that I had many home warranty claims that I'm not paying anymore, and First American is a growing company.

5.00/5

My wife found the First American policy and we’ve had it for a year now. I had a claim concerning a broken garage door and the response was excellent. The gentleman came out at the time he indicated, fixed the door, and even did some additional work, which we're very pleased with. We normally file claims over the phone and the process is excellent. The reps and the contractors are all very good. Everything has been wonderful. First American is a very good company and we are very pleased with them. I tell my friends to sign up for the policy without reservations.

5.00/5

I bought the house and First American came with it. Also, my realtor recommends them. When I submit a claim I call them on the phone to their 1800 number and talk to one of the representatives. Their reps are friendly and then they select one of their local company contractors to come out and do it within 24 to 48 hours. So far, they’ve been pretty close to that. Then they schedule a time to come out and fix the problem. The techs they've sent are friendly and their quality of work has been pretty good.

5.00/5

We've had First American for 10 years. The reps are courteous and I haven’t had any difficulties. I've had only one unpleasant experience that didn’t work out too well, but it’s not a problem. I've recommended them to a couple of my friends.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your business Sal!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Our house is going to be nine years old and I said, "Well this is the time that things can start failing." We got a warranty from First American. They're awesome and their work for us has been excellent. Submitting a claim wasn't bad. We call in and then fax in the paperwork. Their techs were very professional. They knew what they were doing and were very knowledgeable and courteous. I'm going to refer First American to my son as he owns a house as well.

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your comments Eunice! Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I was young when I bought the house and First American was the one that my realtor suggested. It was required and I've kept it. Being young and single, it came in handy. I live far from my parents so it was very beneficial to have that kind of service at a cheap price. I've had First American for 15 years. Within the first year of boarding my house, my water heater went out. At that time, it was only $50 service charge.

It’s easy when you call them to put a claim in. You can submit a claim online but I prefer doing it in person. I rarely get put on hold and it doesn't take a lot of time. My husband tried to call once and it took him longer than I normally do. Within two business days usually, I can get someone out. And sometimes sooner if we ask. In the last five years, I've had the air conditioner fixed twice and they're good. When I couldn’t get it fixed and they suggested a place that couldn't come soon enough, they were willing to look for other service providers within their area to make it speedier. It was the heat of the summer and it was nice. I've never thought about changing them because their customer service is very helpful and I've never had a problem.

The claims representatives were super friendly and nice. When things break that I'm not familiar with and I tell them what it's doing, they listen. I've never had a problem with their customer service. One time there was an issue with the house and we can't wait that long so they called around and found someone that could come sooner. The technicians are good. There was only one that wasn’t and you learn as you go. When they replaced my garbage disposal, my husband and I didn't even bother to check it out. And it was our fault not understanding the terms so I don't blame First American. He didn't install it properly. Luckily my dad came and was able to help me fix it. They didn't tighten something down and my dad knew how to do it. It wasn't a big deal. All the other technicians have done everything thoroughly and explained it. I ask a lot of questions and they were willing to answer.

It got really hot here in Texas in May and our air conditioner went out. A young man came quickly and at that time, he didn't need help doing what he thought needed to be done. He came the next day with somebody else to help figure out why our air conditioner wasn't working. He was a young guy and there's something he could have done but he just told me what to do. Because if he did it, it wasn't covered by my warranty and he'd have to charge me. It was taking some wires that had been weathered and putting electrical tape on them. When you have somebody that could have charged me something without explaining but chose to do the right thing, you can't beat that. My husband and I have been highly satisfied with everything including the people that they provide except for the time when they fixed the garbage disposal.

I've saved a lot of money over the years between two air conditioners, two heating times they had to come out, the garbage disposal, the hot water tank and the first year of living here by myself. They've also saved me a lot of heartaches. They fixed my garage once too and I have no complaints. I don't foresee ever changing and as long as I own this house I will keep them because of all that they've done. Not everyone has the same experience but I've enjoyed them. I have recommended them to a couple of ladies.

5.00/5

We've been a customer of First American since 1999. We stayed with them because we thought we were getting good value. In the beginning, they let us choose the contractors that we wanted if the contractors were a member of their group. However, they've changed that and won't let me choose one. Instead, they sent out whoever they wanted. We didn't like that change because we like to have the same person working on our stuff. But other than that, their technicians were good and our experience with First American has been satisfactory.

5.00/5

We bought a house with First American as a home warranty and filing a claim with them was an easy process. Also, their representative was courteous and helpful.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review Terry!

Original review: June 28, 2017

First American is excellent. I did some research and they look better than other home warranties and they also have a lower payout. I have been submitting my claim online and the website's easy to navigate. I have called when I made my first claim and it went fine.