3.40/5
based on 902 ratings
5.00/5

Original review: May 3, 2018

First American Home Buyers Protection was the home warranty that the previous owners of our house were using. It was included in the purchase and when it came time to renew the warranty, the price was good so we went on and did it. Submitting a claim was also incredibly easy and they were very quick to respond. They contacted me the next day and we scheduled a time for a couple of days after. The technician took care of all of our problems, and was very polite and helpful. We were really pleased overall with all of the help.

5.00/5

Original review: April 29, 2018

Getting a home warranty would be a good deal for the things that we had going on in our home and so we got First American. The experience was really good when submitting a claim and I had claims for the refrigerator, microwave and washer/dryer. Then, I also had a very good interaction with the technician who came to fix my washer and the quality of work performed is very good as well. We're very pleased with First American and they're the value for the money.

5.00/5

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was spending too much money taking out warranties per appliance at Sears and my daughter recommended First American home warranty to me. She thought it was something that we could probably benefit from and wouldn’t cost as much. I usually call First American when submitting a claim and they tell me they’ll get back with me in about 24 hours, and we’ve never had a problem. The most recent claim was my refrigerator and it has been fantastic since the repair. First American performs, and they call back and they get right on it which really pleases me. They’re dependable, truthful, and they do excellent work.

1.00/5

My cooling system was malfunctioning. First American Home Warranty (FAHW) arranged for a repair co to come diagnose the problem... A week's wait. He concluded the need for replacing the unit. It couldn't be done immediately because the repair co. had to wait until First American bought the system and had it shipped to them for install. That took over a week again. The repair co wouldn't book the install appointment until the equipment arrived. FAHW does not supply them a tracking number.

The day finally came for the system to be installed, and the repair guy finds that another part is malfunctioning. That was on Monday. Again, the part had to be sent by (FAHW) to the repair co. Did they ship it overnight? No, another frickin week! I contacted FAHW and both Edwin and supervisor Rick told me they couldn't overnight it. It's 96 degrees outside and it will be over a month without air conditioning. So, you decide, is it worth a month of no air conditioning to deal with this? I don't think so.

5.00/5

In all the paperwork that we've gotten from First American when we renewed every year, it directed us to go to their site. I opened their pamphlet up to the first page inside the cover and it says, “How you use your warranty,” “Visit fahw.com,” or call the 800 phone number any time it covered on sales. But when I went online and to their online page, it directed people on how to get a quote but there was no place on the website that said, “File a claim,” or anything about claims. You have to call. But the phone number on their website also only directs you to get an estimate and not to file a claim. And when I put in FAHW on a search page, my search engine brings up their internet ad for a free quote and that’s my problem.

And when I call their automated system, it's a little cumbersome because it can't always understand when I say, “Yes” and when I say, “No.” I don’t mind keying stuff in. But you have to say yes or no. If the automated system can't understand you, you have to start all over again because there's no, “Press 1 for yes, press 2 for no.” And then I call in, I get a claim number, a work order number and it gives me the phone number for the company and that the company should call me within 24 or 48 hours. But that's too long. The problem could have been in my kitchen and my refrigerator. I'd have lost all my food in my refrigerator and my freezer in 24 hours.

Also, I'm always having to call the company to let them know that I have filed a claim, that it's coming to them, for them to be on the lookout for it and I have to ask how long I have to wait. Usually, they tell me it's between two and five days before someone can get to me and that’s a long wait for a service call. And so I usually wind up having to call in, ask for a representative, and say, “Okay. I got a work order number but they can't get to me in three, four, five days and that’s unacceptable. Can you find someone who can service me sooner?” That has happened several times.

It's usually 100 plus degrees during this time of the year here in Texas. My air conditioning went out and I waited for the repair person to show up. They called me in the morning and they said they’d be here at 10:00 so I didn’t know if it meant between 10:00 and noon. But the repair person was great and understanding. He's gonna be back tomorrow with the parts needed to fix the AC.

5.00/5

I've been with First American HB Protection for 10 years and had several claims with them. Their price keeps going up and I'm not too crazy about it. But I like their service. Usually people come out pretty quick and in a timely manner. When we call customer service the reps seem to be knowledgeable. We have had problems a couple of times but that was alright. We just either call back and get a different rep and it goes smoothly.

Their technicians also seem very knowledgeable. They just come in, do their job and they're out within two minutes. I'm just hoping and praying that the $75 that we have to pay every time they come out doesn't go up anymore. It's a lot. Other than that, I am happy. I have encouraged a couple of people to come their way. First American comes out whenever they're needed and you don't have to worry about high prices when you call a person individually.

4.00/5

The seller of our home purchased the First American Home Buyers Protection and it was done through the company that did the closing on our paperwork. So far, we've had them for five or six years. The first year, we shopped around and First American best fit our needs. We usually submit claims online and sometimes over the phone but I've had English issues, so I usually do it online. My recent claim experience with them was with the fridge and it was good. The guys came out and looked at it. They got here timely and got it done quickly but ordering the part took some time.

I had an issue with the microwave several years ago where I talked to one guy who didn’t really wanna do anything extra or help me resolve an issue. But most of the technicians have been good. A lot of them just popped in and out as quickly as they could and they get the job done. I've only had one issue with one company that was hard to get a hold of. They were used twice and the second time, they never even called us. So, I ended up calling First American and got that taken care of and got someone else out here. I have recommended First American Home Buyers Protection .

4.00/5

I had American Home Shield and they were a piece of crap. I needed a company that was going to cover the items that I had in my home and First American did. It was exceptional service and I was very pleased with it. It was easy submitting a ticket online. However, when I have had to call in, I've never gotten any responses. The communication from the time I submitted the ticket to the time I know the contractor's coming was not reliable. I've had to go back in myself and look. I wish there was more communication there. Also, I've had trouble issues with my tub. The contractor that they sent out the last time didn't do anything. He said it was the heater that was bad. I had to wait six months for him to come back and repair it. But when he came back, he didn't do anything. I spoke with several agents trying to find out where the contractor was and I felt as though everybody was making excuses. Six months is too long to wait for a part to be repaired.

5.00/5

I use First American for a rental property and the rep I have spoken with is good. He had a technician come out after I called them for a plumbing issue, but as it turned out, there was no plumbing issue so we paid them $75 for nothing. But the contractors have been fine and I'd recommend First American overall.

5.00/5

The realtor bought our First American warranty for us. When our garage door opener was not opening, we called them and they sent somebody within two hours. The tech was very pleasant and he fixed it. It was awesome.

4.00/5

My Realtor got my First American warranty for me as a housewarming gift when I bought the house. I've been a customer for three or four years. I just go on the website to submit a claim and then somebody calls me back once I submit the ticket. It's all pretty straightforward. The contractor comes, then usually they'll do an assessment and then they’ve had to order parts. They'll come and they'll look at it and say, “Okay. Well, we need to replace this part,” and then they'll order a part and then call me again to reschedule. It's been good every time. I haven't had to have anyone back out. I've been very happy with them. I got a good return on my investment.

5.00/5

The company that I was with before did not cover appliances so I acquired a home warranty from First American instead since they do cover appliances. The experience when submitting a claim with First American was good. I called them, then they scheduled an appointment and was able to replace our garbage disposal right away. The tech talked us through and explained what the problem was. He told us what he was gonna do first by looking at the garbage disposal and assessing it to see what the problem was and if he could fix it. But then, he determined that it needed to be replaced instead. We had a good experience with First American and I’ve already recommended them a few times.

5.00/5

When I bought my house in 1999, First American Home Warranty called me and asked me if I wanna get an extended home warranty on my house because if something happened, they would fix the problem. So, I said, "Let me check it out." I did that and I stayed with them. Then I got married in 2005 and I sold my house and moved into my husband's house. I told my husband, "Let's get First American's home warranty" and so we did. It's difficult now to submit a claim with First American because everything is done via computer and when you get to a certain age, it's a little bit harder when you do things with a computer. But I made it through, although I'd rather talk to a person.

I just submitted a claim a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have a problem with the claims reps at all. The only thing that I had a problem with was this one time when I didn't like the work that the contractor was doing and I told the reps not to send me these people ever again. But other than that, I like First American Home Warranty and I would recommend them to other people. The good part is that they would pay a certain amount a year and then they just have to pay their deductible, and the warranty is worth the cost because sometimes their stuff is gonna cost way more than the deductible and what they pay in a year.

4.00/5

I bought a house and the sellers provided First American as coverage. Submitting claims has been good. I call them to submit claims and their reps are very friendly and helpful. The technicians are dispatched within 24 hours and they're very professional.

5.00/5

The lady I bought the house from already had First American and I've been with them now for three years. I submitted my claims to them over the phone which was easy to do and my experiences with their reps were pretty good. When I had a problem with my microwave, their tech had to come back out a couple of times for it but he was good. I would recommend First American.

5.00/5

I had a plumbing claim and while I was in the process of scheduling the service online, I was also on the phone with First American's rep. He was a nice, friendly, and very informative guy. Then I told him I figured it out online so our interaction was brief. After that, First American got the tech out the same day and gave me text updates. They also provided the number to the plumber who was gonna come out and things went pretty smoothly. The $75 was a bit pricey and I don't know if the work was worth $75 but it was better than paying the plumber directly.

5.00/5

The warranty of First American came with our home three and a half years ago and we stayed with them throughout that time because they kept soliciting for it. To submit a claim, we just called and let them know the issue, then they had one of their contracted companies get in touch with us to set up an appointment. The claim reps have been knowledgeable and they've answered questions, and the work quality of the contractors have been excellent. First American provides the service that they're selling.

5.00/5

The house I was purchasing was inspected and needed some work, and First American handled the work. At that time, my realtor advised me to get a home warranty. I moved in January and since then, I have been with First American. Submitting the claim for my garbage disposal was very easy. The rep was very nice, professional, friendly and helpful. She walked me through everything and made the arrangements on who the contractor would be. Then the contractor called me within a couple of hours and came the next day. The guy was professional and kinda friendly as well which was nice. Because the garbage disposal turned out to be burnt out, the contractor replaced it with no cost to me. I would recommend First American as they do everything they can to help you out with your home and they don't try to cheat you. They are inexpensive and provide prompt and courteous service too.

5.00/5

Five years ago, we had another warranty company but they didn't cover anything at all so I cancelled it. Then my friend recommended us to First American Home Warranty. We are retired persons and we may be needing it someday. We'll be able to recommend some of our friends too to make time so they don’t have to struggle with some minor problem. Filing a claim was not difficult at all. We called First American up and the representative was nice and very friendly. We paid the co-payment which is $75 and they sent somebody. The technician came in on time and fixed the refrigerator. Now, the fridge is working.

5.00/5

My wife Carol had a condo and she was very happy with First American Home Warranty. So, when we got married, she moved in with me and then we put First American on as a warranty with the house. I haven’t had many issues with them, but when I've had, they’ve been very prompt in taking care of it for me. In my most recent claim, I called First American and they set me up with a plumber. Then an appointment was made. The guy came out, did the work on time and was done very timely. He was excellent and very professional. But the guy who does the billing said he messed up and overbilled it. It was supposed to be $75 for the service call. I gave my debit card and they took $105, overbilling me by $30. I got a receipt yesterday and they apologized for it. Hopefully, the $30 will show up in my account tomorrow.

Other than that, I’m very happy with First American and I’ve had good luck. They’re one of the better warranty companies. I worked in the swimming pool business for nine years, so I know having someone where I couldn’t get them to fix anything. All they did was put a band-aid on stuff. But with First American, they'd come up with new parts or whatever is needed. I would recommend this company and tell other people what my experience was.

5.00/5

Our friends said that they had bad experience with another insurances. So, we decided to try out First American Home Warranty. So far, I've only done one claim and I went online to file it. Their online process was easy and straightforward. Also, our technician was fast. He came, he fixed the issue and he left.

5.00/5

The sellers of the home had to buy a warranty for me when I bought my home. First American was the one I chose just from looking online and they're the recommendation of my realtor. I submit my claims online and it's been fast and easy. I’ve had a few claims with them including the most recent one for two ceiling fans that were out. A couple of claims took a few phone calls as they were more complicated issues. And the quality of the work done by the contractors who have been sent out is good. My experience with First American has been good and the warranty has more than paid for itself.

5.00/5

I may have signed up for First American Home Warranty back when I bought my house in 1988. Many years later, I got a special offer to come back. It was also recommended by the home seller. I came back and have continued since then for the idea that things are protected by today and it works. In submitting a claim, I use the website but sometimes I seriously can't quite get a hold of the contractor and schedule an appointment. It varies by contractor though. My most recent claim was fast and smooth. I filed the claim and talked to the contractor within two hours. I got an appointment for the next morning. The contractor came on time and fixed the thing right away.

4.00/5

I bought an older home and I looked at getting a home warranty for a safety concern. My real estate agent mentioned First American HB Protection and it was what was recommended to me. Submitting a claim had been really slow in the past, but most recently, the service has gotten better as far as response time and the claims process has been fairly easy. I’ve had a dryer repair and it was a simple belt that was fixed and the technicians couldn’t do anything for me. They wanted me to wait another seven days. I still had to pay for their service and I got nothing out of it so, that one was not so great. On the other hand, I had a well issue recently and filed the claim about 5:00 in the afternoon, and the service company was at my house by six. That one was fantastic. Some of the companies that First American uses have been really good and some of them have been not so good.

5.00/5

We got First American HB Protection for my daughter's place and we were very pleased with them. The realtor told us about it and recommended a home maintenance package for single women. We had one claim for a plumbing leak after we bought the place and our interaction with the claims rep went fine. We called them and they sent out a very good plumber in two days, and the quality of work was excellent. I paid the guy $75 and he went about his business.

5.00/5

I've had First American HB Protection when I first got into my house and I hadn’t had problems since. They made submission of claims convenient where you can do it online and that's what I always do, and it’s much better that way. They give a claims number and they let you know who you’re going to be dealing with and who’s gonna come out. Those people usually call within 24 hours. If I have a claim today, I’d go online and pay my fee. I don’t have to worry about giving it to the service people anymore. Most of the people that they have sent out had been very good and I was grateful about that. So, I pay so much and then they pay so much and they were very kind people. So far, their performance had been really good. If the work is not done correctly, they get you someone else. You just have to let them know. Overall, I’m satisfied.

5.00/5

A co-worker has First American Home Buyers Protection. And then when I bought my townhouse about 14 years ago, she told me about them. I got them after that. Submitting a claim has been very easy. When I first got the warranty, I would call in. But then when I got familiar using the website, I usually submit an issue through the website. It takes about a day or two until a contractor contacts me. And there were some contractors who have called me more quickly than others. But they have always been very professional and polite. And I've had no problems with the quality of work they performed. It's all been done to my satisfaction.

The technician had to come out a couple of times for my washer. My washer would spin and drain but the clothes would still be completely wet. Once, they thought it was the motor, and then they thought it was the transmission. They had to order some parts in between. So that took a long time but after the second time the technician came out, he submitted it back to First American and they decided to replace the washer instead of continuing to repair it. They sent me a check within a week. And I bought one on my own. Then I had to go upload documentation that I had purchased a new washer so it could be covered as well. The only trouble I had was that it took me a while to figure out how to upload my documentation that I purchased a new washer. And I didn't want to buy the one that they recommended. But overall, I'm glad to have the coverage.

5.00/5

I've been in the banking industry for over 40 years so I knew about First American Home Warranty. I've been using them for six years for this house and eight years in my house in California. They've always done right with me and if it's necessary for me to file a claim, they make it easy. I submit my claims over the phone and they're quick to respond. The reps have been very knowledgeable and they know what department I should go to or they put in my claim the way I requested. And if it's wrong, they'd clarify it and put it in correctly because maybe I didn't know the terminology of certain things. My interaction with them has been very good. The technicians who have come out have been very good too and I haven't had any problems with the quality of their work.

5.00/5

We knew some people that were on the First American HB Protection plan and we got them by their recommendation. I typically file my claims online and it’s pretty easy. The technicians that they send are very professional and do their job. My experience with First American is so far, so good and I hope it stays that way. It's a quality company and they stand behind their work.

5.00/5

I needed something to protect my home from anything that could damage it. A friend of mine then referred me to First American Home Buyers Protection. Submitting a claim is very simple. I call them and they help me fill it out. I can also do it online. However, I do it on the phone and make sure I complete it right than being online. And it doesn't take long to get hold of a person. They come in a couple of minutes. The technicians usually make a call within a day and it depends on what direction before they get to my home. One came from Maryland and he was there in the nick of time. Other than that, they are excellent people and I feel very confident in the quality of work they do. Overall, First American has been outstanding to me and they were very helpful.