3.63/5
based on 1,197 ratings

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If you are like me then you are probably a little apprehensive about these warranties. Are they gimmicks? Do they work? Can you get in touch with an actual person? What kind of hurdles must be overcame before any warranty work can be performed? And more than likely many other questions concerning the validity of these companies.

Well, I can only give you my experience with this company - First American Home Warranty. After doing some research on home warranties I managed to narrow things down to just two companies. The other company - let's say company X - has very similar coverage options and with a similar price. It should be noted that I was planning to go with company X first. For what they offered and what First American does not offer made choose company X... initially.

So why? I wanted to do a little test. I decided to call both companies so that I could place a claim. First American answered within a very reasonable time and was patient when I couldn't "remember" my information. Once I let the representative in on what I was doing she was more than capable of answering questions I had before purchase. So how does company X compare? Well, I was not able to get in touch with anyone from company X, and that made my decision very easy at that point.

Now on to what we really care about - actually using the warranty. I have had two claims so far; the first for my A/C not cooling and the second for my dryer not working. For both claims I used their online option, which is very easy to use. For the A/C claim I was contacted by a First American representative to let me know the vendor that was coming out and when they were coming out. The second claim was handled without ever talking to anyone from First American, which is perfectly fine with me.

Both vendors were professional and knowledgeable. I received calls from both letting me know that they were coming and approximately when they would arrive. Once the work was completed they explained to me what was wrong, what they did to fix the issue, and addressed any concern I may have had. Long story short, the vendors that First American Home warranty uses are top-notch. After making these two claims, and having them completed with still working status, I feel completely comfortable with my choice of going with First American. There is no doubt in my mind that I will continue my relationship with First American Home Warranty when the time comes.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have been with First American Home Warranty since I bought my house 4 years ago. My house was not new and had some problems with my toilets and dishwasher; microwave etc. You have always made sure I received your services in a timely manner. You have helped me out and I have saved probably thousands of dollars if I did not have your coverage? THANK YOU.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My first repair call was excellent. I got attended over the phone right away when I was requesting service. The wait time is short and the technician did a great job on fixing my refrigerator. I will surely refer First American Home Warranty to my friends.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We had no water coming from the well and thought that the pump had gone out. This was Sunday afternoon, called and talked to a customer service, who understood the issue and called for service. Since it was Sunday afternoon, the well company called at 8 the next am and came right out. The problem was not as bad as we thought. First American was quick we paid the co-pay we told when we signed up. The rest was billed to the Well Company. Sure glad we had the coverage.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This company is easy to work with. I have had them since 2003. They have promptly taken care of every claim I have filed and there have been many. My house was built in 1987 so it was just the right age when I bought it for a everything to start wearing out. The company they had contracted at the start was the typical company that didn't want to fix anything. I filed a complaint and had another company - Pronto. No more problems. They have replaced dishwasher, oven, garbage disposal, hot water heater, and washer and two toilets. They offered $2000 towards a new HVAC system or repair the old one. They have also handled numerous repairs that didn't results in replacement. I have no complaints.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We had a broken water line because of the bad pressure regulator. It had to be taken care of right away. After we got the problem corrected we notified FAHW and they took care of our expense in a prompt manner.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Every time I have called for help, the person I talked to was professional, and promptly addressed my needs. I had just moved and the home I choose developed electrical, plumbing, and air conditioning problems. First American provided all the help I needed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Thank you for fixing my water heater in a timely manner. First American Home Warranty has the best customer service. I live in a rural area and it was not a problem for them to send a qualified technician to fix my water heater. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Dryer Repair - What can I say other then I will be renewing when the time comes. I have 2 Friends that just bought home and bought your coverage. I cannot say ENOUGH about you guys. I had to call you several times on items in our house we bought and needless to say repairs where complete. Everyone that was sent out was VERY professional. It's great to have that peace of mind to know when I call I will have great service. My only concern is sometime takes 2 day for repairs. That is fine when not emergency items. Not sure how that will work when the time come. Other than that I am VERY VERY pleased with everything you have done for us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

First American Home Warranty was really quick and contacting a plumber. The plumber was really quick and getting out to my home and had it changed within one day. The contractor hauled away the old water heater, and also provided me with additional information before leaving.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Very pleased with the time frame from the day I put in claim to the plumbing issue being resolved. The technician was very informative and clean about installing the new garbage disposal, and checking to see if it was in working order. Thank you for the service we received.

5.00/5

I am quite satisfied with First American. I have had 2 separate issues at home. First was with my Air conditioner and the 2nd was a leak in upstairs bathroom. And both were dealt with fast. The customer service I received was great. I will be telling everyone about this company. Thank you.

5.00/5

Several times I needed repair services - electrical, pest control and plumbing - this first year in my new home. First American Home Warranty was prompt and professional in their response to my requests for referral and sent excellent service companies to complete the work. Therefore, when it came time to renew I didn't think twice about continuing my contract with them - great peace of mind!

5.00/5

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Good to excellent services within the term of the contract. I recommend First American Home Warranty to people live (or own properties) in areas where this warranty is available. Even though I live far away from my property, there was ease in contacting First American to have the needed repair done.

5.00/5

The pressure valve blew out and caused excess pressure in the water heater causing overflow valve to shoot out water causing 10300 dollar damage. Fixed valve and corrected damage. Suggest you have the pressure valve checked to make sure any problems eliminates future problems.

5.00/5

In all the paperwork that we've gotten from First American when we renewed every year, it directed us to go to their site. I opened their pamphlet up to the first page inside the cover and it says, “How you use your warranty,” “Visit fahw.com,” or call the 800 phone number any time it covered on sales. But when I went online and to their online page, it directed people on how to get a quote but there was no place on the website that said, “File a claim,” or anything about claims. You have to call. But the phone number on their website also only directs you to get an estimate and not to file a claim. And when I put in FAHW on a search page, my search engine brings up their internet ad for a free quote and that’s my problem.

And when I call their automated system, it's a little cumbersome because it can't always understand when I say, “Yes” and when I say, “No.” I don’t mind keying stuff in. But you have to say yes or no. If the automated system can't understand you, you have to start all over again because there's no, “Press 1 for yes, press 2 for no.” And then I call in, I get a claim number, a work order number and it gives me the phone number for the company and that the company should call me within 24 or 48 hours. But that's too long. The problem could have been in my kitchen and my refrigerator. I'd have lost all my food in my refrigerator and my freezer in 24 hours.

Also, I'm always having to call the company to let them know that I have filed a claim, that it's coming to them, for them to be on the lookout for it and I have to ask how long I have to wait. Usually, they tell me it's between two and five days before someone can get to me and that’s a long wait for a service call. And so I usually wind up having to call in, ask for a representative, and say, “Okay. I got a work order number but they can't get to me in three, four, five days and that’s unacceptable. Can you find someone who can service me sooner?” That has happened several times.

It's usually 100 plus degrees during this time of the year here in Texas. My air conditioning went out and I waited for the repair person to show up. They called me in the morning and they said they’d be here at 10:00 so I didn’t know if it meant between 10:00 and noon. But the repair person was great and understanding. He's gonna be back tomorrow with the parts needed to fix the AC.

5.00/5

I've been with First American HB Protection for 10 years and had several claims with them. Their price keeps going up and I'm not too crazy about it. But I like their service. Usually people come out pretty quick and in a timely manner. When we call customer service the reps seem to be knowledgeable. We have had problems a couple of times but that was alright. We just either call back and get a different rep and it goes smoothly.

Their technicians also seem very knowledgeable. They just come in, do their job and they're out within two minutes. I'm just hoping and praying that the $75 that we have to pay every time they come out doesn't go up anymore. It's a lot. Other than that, I am happy. I have encouraged a couple of people to come their way. First American comes out whenever they're needed and you don't have to worry about high prices when you call a person individually.

4.00/5

The seller of our home purchased the First American Home Buyers Protection and it was done through the company that did the closing on our paperwork. So far, we've had them for five or six years. The first year, we shopped around and First American best fit our needs. We usually submit claims online and sometimes over the phone but I've had English issues, so I usually do it online. My recent claim experience with them was with the fridge and it was good. The guys came out and looked at it. They got here timely and got it done quickly but ordering the part took some time.

I had an issue with the microwave several years ago where I talked to one guy who didn’t really wanna do anything extra or help me resolve an issue. But most of the technicians have been good. A lot of them just popped in and out as quickly as they could and they get the job done. I've only had one issue with one company that was hard to get a hold of. They were used twice and the second time, they never even called us. So, I ended up calling First American and got that taken care of and got someone else out here. I have recommended First American Home Buyers Protection .

4.00/5

I had American Home Shield and they were a piece of crap. I needed a company that was going to cover the items that I had in my home and First American did. It was exceptional service and I was very pleased with it. It was easy submitting a ticket online. However, when I have had to call in, I've never gotten any responses. The communication from the time I submitted the ticket to the time I know the contractor's coming was not reliable. I've had to go back in myself and look. I wish there was more communication there. Also, I've had trouble issues with my tub. The contractor that they sent out the last time didn't do anything. He said it was the heater that was bad. I had to wait six months for him to come back and repair it. But when he came back, he didn't do anything. I spoke with several agents trying to find out where the contractor was and I felt as though everybody was making excuses. Six months is too long to wait for a part to be repaired.

5.00/5

I use First American for a rental property and the rep I have spoken with is good. He had a technician come out after I called them for a plumbing issue, but as it turned out, there was no plumbing issue so we paid them $75 for nothing. But the contractors have been fine and I'd recommend First American overall.

5.00/5

The realtor bought our First American warranty for us. When our garage door opener was not opening, we called them and they sent somebody within two hours. The tech was very pleasant and he fixed it. It was awesome.

4.00/5

My Realtor got my First American warranty for me as a housewarming gift when I bought the house. I've been a customer for three or four years. I just go on the website to submit a claim and then somebody calls me back once I submit the ticket. It's all pretty straightforward. The contractor comes, then usually they'll do an assessment and then they’ve had to order parts. They'll come and they'll look at it and say, “Okay. Well, we need to replace this part,” and then they'll order a part and then call me again to reschedule. It's been good every time. I haven't had to have anyone back out. I've been very happy with them. I got a good return on my investment.

5.00/5

The company that I was with before did not cover appliances so I acquired a home warranty from First American instead since they do cover appliances. The experience when submitting a claim with First American was good. I called them, then they scheduled an appointment and was able to replace our garbage disposal right away. The tech talked us through and explained what the problem was. He told us what he was gonna do first by looking at the garbage disposal and assessing it to see what the problem was and if he could fix it. But then, he determined that it needed to be replaced instead. We had a good experience with First American and I’ve already recommended them a few times.

5.00/5

When I bought my house in 1999, First American Home Warranty called me and asked me if I wanna get an extended home warranty on my house because if something happened, they would fix the problem. So, I said, "Let me check it out." I did that and I stayed with them. Then I got married in 2005 and I sold my house and moved into my husband's house. I told my husband, "Let's get First American's home warranty" and so we did. It's difficult now to submit a claim with First American because everything is done via computer and when you get to a certain age, it's a little bit harder when you do things with a computer. But I made it through, although I'd rather talk to a person.

I just submitted a claim a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have a problem with the claims reps at all. The only thing that I had a problem with was this one time when I didn't like the work that the contractor was doing and I told the reps not to send me these people ever again. But other than that, I like First American Home Warranty and I would recommend them to other people. The good part is that they would pay a certain amount a year and then they just have to pay their deductible, and the warranty is worth the cost because sometimes their stuff is gonna cost way more than the deductible and what they pay in a year.

4.00/5

I bought a house and the sellers provided First American as coverage. Submitting claims has been good. I call them to submit claims and their reps are very friendly and helpful. The technicians are dispatched within 24 hours and they're very professional.

5.00/5

The lady I bought the house from already had First American and I've been with them now for three years. I submitted my claims to them over the phone which was easy to do and my experiences with their reps were pretty good. When I had a problem with my microwave, their tech had to come back out a couple of times for it but he was good. I would recommend First American.

5.00/5

I had a plumbing claim and while I was in the process of scheduling the service online, I was also on the phone with First American's rep. He was a nice, friendly, and very informative guy. Then I told him I figured it out online so our interaction was brief. After that, First American got the tech out the same day and gave me text updates. They also provided the number to the plumber who was gonna come out and things went pretty smoothly. The $75 was a bit pricey and I don't know if the work was worth $75 but it was better than paying the plumber directly.

5.00/5

The warranty of First American came with our home three and a half years ago and we stayed with them throughout that time because they kept soliciting for it. To submit a claim, we just called and let them know the issue, then they had one of their contracted companies get in touch with us to set up an appointment. The claim reps have been knowledgeable and they've answered questions, and the work quality of the contractors have been excellent. First American provides the service that they're selling.

5.00/5

The house I was purchasing was inspected and needed some work, and First American handled the work. At that time, my realtor advised me to get a home warranty. I moved in January and since then, I have been with First American. Submitting the claim for my garbage disposal was very easy. The rep was very nice, professional, friendly and helpful. She walked me through everything and made the arrangements on who the contractor would be. Then the contractor called me within a couple of hours and came the next day. The guy was professional and kinda friendly as well which was nice. Because the garbage disposal turned out to be burnt out, the contractor replaced it with no cost to me. I would recommend First American as they do everything they can to help you out with your home and they don't try to cheat you. They are inexpensive and provide prompt and courteous service too.

5.00/5

Original review: May 3, 2018

First American Home Buyers Protection was the home warranty that the previous owners of our house were using. It was included in the purchase and when it came time to renew the warranty, the price was good so we went on and did it. Submitting a claim was also incredibly easy and they were very quick to respond. They contacted me the next day and we scheduled a time for a couple of days after. The technician took care of all of our problems, and was very polite and helpful. We were really pleased overall with all of the help.