Customer Reviews

3.56/5
based on 844 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

I've had Home Warranty for a few years now. I never had an issue with having people come out or getting something done so I kept on renewing. The last time that I got renewed, I noticed that prices went up a little bit. That’s a con. Other than that, the home warranty has saved me some money. Everybody was quick at getting back to me whenever I called and everything has been easy. I either get online or call the Home Warranty when I have a claim. They then have a contractor contact me. It's all good timing and I’ve never had to wait days. When a contractor fixed something, I never had to call them back out to do it again.

5.00/5

The people who had the house prior to me already had a contract with Home Warranty of America. They let me continue the contract that they had, and I just switched over to myself after I paid off that contract. HWA's claims process is easy. I just go online and fill out the request and tell them what I need it for. Then they will send an email letting me know if they have someone available and the company that will be servicing it. The company reaches out to me and sets the date and time, and they come and do the service.

I had a dryer go out. Home Warranty of America paid me for that. They fixed my dishwasher, my garbage disposal and my AC unit. The only thing is the $100 that we have to pay if somebody comes out. I had one company come out, and I gave them a $100, but they didn't even fix the problem. Then they had another company come out. I had to pay $100 again to that next company. Other than that, I don't have regular sewage but I have the thing they had to come and had to pump. A lot of companies don't offer that coverage but Home Warranty of America does. It's covered under my thing. I just have to have a platinum policy. So every three years, they'll come out and pump that for me.

5.00/5

Every time I've used Home Warranty of America, I’ve always had a great experience with them. So, that's why I renewed it and kept it. I never had a bad experience with them. I did have at one point, when I first called them about the microwave, they were supposed to send out a different person to fix it, but they never came. So, that was the only problem. But that wasn't a problem ‘cause I called HWA and they just sent out somebody else. The customer service has always been good with HWA too. The guy who came out to fix the microwave recently was phenomenal as well. He fixed that thing in no time. It’s just that the plate ain’t spinning. That’s the only problem I have now. He told me that he was gonna contact HWA to let them know that there was another part that he needed.

5.00/5

Sometimes they contract suboptimal people but they're usually pretty quick to remedy things. They could check up on the contractors that they use. I don't think they do a whole lot of vetting and it ends up hurting their customer base and their opinion. Other than that, they save me a bunch of money. Also, they're a little bit cheaper than other companies for similar services and they have a couple of things that I wanted that other companies don't.

4.00/5

When I need to make a claim, it's pretty seamless. I make a phone call to the phone number on the little packet they gave me and usually, they have someone out to identify the problem within 24 hours if it's serious. The contractor evaluates the issue - whether something needs to be fixed or replaced. So far, we've had two appliances replaced with them and other than the wait time to get the merchandise, it's about as easy as I could ask for.

5.00/5

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Sometimes, the claim submission process of HWA can be a hassle. They’ll put you on hold for an hour, then they'll come back and ask you the same set of questions two times. I just don't like that. But my experience with the techs has been good.

4.00/5

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Most of our claims have been easy and someone's quick to come check it out. One of our claims, though, took a long time to get someone to come fix our dishwasher, so that was a pain. But the technicians are always very nice.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Cipriano helped me today. I was very pleased of the service and response time. Very efficient. Cipriano assisted me with my service order. Very quick to answer all my questions. Thanks so much Cipriano and HWA for helping with my issue.

5.00/5

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Very easy to use after calling in for assistance to begin a new claim. I was unable to use the password reset feature online for whatever reason and was told to use the Chat with Us feature at the bottom of the home page for further assistance. Very glad I did! No waiting! Very pleasant tech. Able to assist me in a matter of minutes.

5.00/5

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I got Home Warranty of America with my mortgage when I purchased my house. It was a good thing to have. So far, we have used it a couple times and we're happy with it. We had them send technicians to repair our hot water heater, sump pump, and a garbage disposal. When I submit a claim, either I call or go online. It's then taken cared of. In addition to that, navigating the website is easy to follow. They're also able to get the contractors to my property within a day. And the contractors they sent out were fine. They were professional and polite. Overall, having a warranty on your property is valuable because it gives you peace of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong, you have something that will take care of the problem. I would recommend them.

4.00/5

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Home Warranty of America was included in the home buying process when I bought the house and I’m going on my second year with them. I call to file the claims and the reps have been good. I’m very satisfied with them. It also didn’t take long for the techs to come out. They were very professional. They didn’t mess around and they weren’t here very long. I’d tell my friends that Home Warranty of America is really worth it.

4.00/5

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've had HWA for nine years and they’ve done what they said they were going to do. Submitting claims has been very easy and their reps have been very nice. Plus, the technicians have been fine with one exception.

5.00/5

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Signing up for a warranty with Home Warranty of America made sense and I've had it for over two years now. My Realtor paid for the first year and I've renewed it twice already. They're low-priced too. The price that I'm paying monthly is great and the customer service reps I've spoken with over the phone have been quick and responsive.

I call HWA for my claims and they usually get back to me within a few minutes. But I've been having issues with my AC unit and I was told that until some piece goes out, they can't replace the whole unit. So the tech would come out, fix it and get it working but it's making noise. For the most part, though, the piece is not broken and most people get it to work. They would put a band-aid on stuff and keep it moving. I've had the same tech come out twice and he is perfect. I don't have to tell him to put on those paper shoes. I've had people come out for my washing machine and they looked at me crazy when I told them to put those covers on. So these guys that HWA sent out are very professional and quick. I would definitely refer HWA.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We got Home Warranty of America when we bought our first house and we decided to stay with them given that they cover more stuff. They’ve always been good to us and we've never had to dispute anything. We can submit claims online or call it in, then they get back to us right away. I’m always sure that within 24 hours I get a response. I'm also very happy with the work that their contractors have done. It’s always been very pleasant and easy dealing with the people that they send out. I’ve referred at least three family members and two neighbors to HWA.

5.00/5

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I’ve used Home Warranty of America a long time ago and we had a good experience with them. So, when we bought a new house a couple of years ago and HWA was recommended to me by the Realtor, we went with them. Signing up with their service again has been very easy and quick. I was given a login and was told I could go online. I like going online, being able to take care of business that way and I found it very easy to work within their system. If that's indicative how they operate, then I think it'd be a good experience if and when I do have to call them up to come repair something around the house. And, working with the folks online to add some appliances that I had left out before was easy too. So far, everything has been good and my experience with HWA has been excellent.

5.00/5

Original review: June 13, 2018

With the couple of calls I've had to use Home Warranty of America for, their providers were good and I didn't have any issue with them. I submit claims online and I've had no challenges there. I always get a response out of their reps which was different with our previous warranty company. HWA's contractors call within 24 hours.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Home Warranty of America was offered to us with our purchase of our house. I call whenever I have a claim and tell them what's going on. And then they'd call a technician and give me the number of who their vendor is. And I just go from there. So far, I've been satisfied with Home Warranty of America and with the vendors that they recommend.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I spoke with someone on the phone at Home Warranty of America and it was very pleasant. The reps was very polite and informative and answered any questions I had. When I submitted a claim, I called their number and they put me to the claims division. They offer online now but we've not had a claim since they did it. It was very simple, you would tell them what your problem was and they will confirm that it was under your warranty. Then, they tell you that someone, whether it was a plumber or heating and cooling, that someone would be in contact with you right away. It has always happened quickly and the problems been taken care of.

They’re easy to get a hold of at all hours of the day, including weekends which is a big plus if you have something break down over the weekend and when you can't get a hold of a contactor. Home Warranty of America always seem to be able to come up with someone and it's well worth the monthly payment if you do have to have something repaired or done, and it just gives you that sense that you're being taken care of and you're not going to have to try to go through hoops to get things taken care of.

It’s been a great experience for us and if others haven't tried it, they should because you never know what can happen. We have our appliances covered and our plumbing. We had a leak in our roof from a storm last year and that was taken care of. And it's just that sense of knowing that almost whatever comes down your way, that you should have some sort of coverage for it, not just right out of your pocket. Also, we have not had any bad experiences with them and never ran into the rep that you contact that wasn't helpful and friendly. The contractors that they've used have all been helpful and give you that feeling they wanna take care of you if you're just a regular customer.

Original review: June 1, 2018

It was going into the summertime and my property was in Memphis, Tennessee. The weather out there was really hot and the air conditioning unit went out. My tenant was already complaining about air and she was tired of using her fan. I called Home Warranty of America and let them know what was going on. The lady that I used was really helpful and ended up saving me money. She gave me information about the insurance that I never knew. The unit was old so they couldn't repair it. The house needed a brand new unit so she explained to me about a buyout. They buy something where they cash me out for it. The money that they sent me ended up helping because I had to come up with the rest to get my tenant a brand new air conditioner. It didn't cost that much so I was able to get her an air conditioning unit quicker than I thought.

I don't have Home Warranty of America anymore though because I sold my house. If I hadn't, I'd still have them. When I was asking around before for insurance, HWA was the only name that came up to everyone I had asked. Everyone that I deal with used them. My friends and mom have them. So I figured they are the number one people around.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The realtor who sold us the house recommended Home Warranty of America and we have been satisfied with the service. Our interactions with the technicians have been very good. Our most recent claim was for our refrigerator and they’re supposed to be here next week.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My experience with Home Warranty of America has been great. So far, they’ve helped me with a couple different repairs and things along the way and I've been very happy with them. I only ran into one issue where there was a lapse. I had changed from the three times a year to a monthly payment, and from what they were looking at that time, they couldn’t process the claim because I had dropped them. So that took a little pushing for them to look deeper or talk to higher ups. Finally, after a couple hours, they realized what they were seeing, and it was rectified. It was apologized for and taken care of after that. The technicians have been good and done what they came out to do in a timely manner.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The realtor bought the first year with Home Warranty of America and we were happy with them so we continued. We would rather be faced with service calls rather than thousands of dollars in air conditioner or something like that. Signing up was simple. We have already submitted several claims and we usually do it online. My husband usually does it because it's nice when he will and I don't have to deal with all that. Then he usually gets a call and then we get another call from a service person. It usually goes along very smoothly. We're in Middleton, Tennessee and everybody who comes is friendly and talkative. And while we haven't had any major claims over the last few years, having a home warranty has given us a peace of mind more than a value in dollars.

5.00/5

Original review: May 29, 2018

I purchased my home and the previous owner had Home Warranty of America already in place for me. Filing a claim has been smooth and they're quick, professional and all very knowledgeable. Whenever I'm home around, the contractors have been pretty much on time. They're skilled in their trade. I only had one problem that was in the beginning but I've never had any more problem or repairs. Everything is overall great.

5.00/5

Original review: May 28, 2018

I ran into expensive costs in the past that I had to cover myself. I looked into home warranty companies and heard bad rumors about Home Shield. I also had experience in my work where customers of theirs were highly unhappy. So, I went with Home Warranty of America and signing up with them was easy. I did it online and they sent me the information. Then I called when I had questions and they answered them really well. So far, I had to submit several claims with them which I tried to do on the internet but they wouldn’t go through. So, I ended up having to call. I spoke to somebody and they got my claims set up. Then the vendors called within an hour and we got the appointments set up as soon as possible.

I had six issues with my air conditioner and the first contractor who came out pointed out a couple of things that were unbeknownst to me. Those guys were not as experienced as the last guy who came out from Troy Heating and Air. He was here about 10 days ago and he was awesome. Since the repair, the air conditioner has been working great.

I also had a plumbing issue and when the contractor came out to fix it, I paid my deductible. I also asked him to look at something that wasn’t on the original ticket, and he did that. Then I paid him for it. About four months later, when I had to call about the air conditioning unit, Home Warranty of America said that my account was frozen because I didn’t pay the plumber. I told them I did and they asked me to send them a copy of the canceled check showing that I paid the plumber. So I faxed it to them, then they unfroze my account. Apparently, it wasn’t anything on Home Warranty's side because it was on the plumber's side. Overall, I'd highly recommend Home Warranty of America.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My agent helped sign me up for Home Warranty of America and it went smoothly. I have two policies with them right now on two different properties. Most home warranty companies cover mostly 12 months but Home Warranty of America does 13. And they have extras that they add on that don’t break the price. Some other companies have a few add-on extras in their package that are already in Home Warranty of America. We had to pay extra for other companies.

Home Warranty of America also has a rep who answers all of my questions. I've called her several times and asked her some things about the home warranty and she’s been very responsive. We’ve had two claims with the company so far. Filing one is very easy. You can go online and do it or you can call the 800 number. Either way, they respond quickly. I've paid them without giving me a hard time and the repairmen have come out within a very short time to take care of the issue.

On our first claim, we added on a washer and dryer which were not in the house when we purchased it. They were ours. Two days after we moved in, the computerized panel on my dryer burned up. Home Warranty of America didn’t argue with me about covering it. They got Sears out there right away, no big deal, and it was all taken care of. For my most recent claim, it was for my dishwasher and it has been working fine since the repair.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We have a platinum policy with Home Warranty of America through our realtor. We also had one in Florida when we lived in Florida. We submitted a claim for our refrigerator and the contractor had to come out two times because it went right back to the same problem we had after the first time. So, they finally replaced what needed to be replaced. The contractor was okay, and I would recommend HWA!

4/5  to 5/51
Consumer Increased Rating!

Original review: May 26, 2018

We bought the house in 2014 and we asked for a home warranty because the home was nine years old and we wanted to make sure that we wouldn’t have to incur major expenses for anything that broke. The first year was part of the purchase price and the seller paid for Home Warranty of America. It was roughly about $500 a year. On our first year, we probably saved close to $11,000 because there were a number of systems that were not working properly. All we had to do was pay the $75 come out fee. A lot of things got fixed in that first year.

The representatives are usually good and the program itself is a decent one. I live in a house with a bunch of duplicate systems and we got a lot of secondary backup systems. When one thing fails, we’re never out of anything because we get in the second system until that’s repaired. We’ve used Home Warranty of America for everything and the biggest problem we had was our garbage disposal. It was repaired a number of times before they finally got it completely new internal parts. I’ve been happy with the Home Warranty of America and the people running it are good.

The downside to the program is that we don’t have a lot of vendors here where we live who are tied into HWA. For example, we have a Sub-Zero refrigerator. When the ice maker in it broke that first year, we had to wait for someone from Phoenix to come fix it. But the vendor issue is not unique to HWA. If I bought any kind of home warranty program from any other vendors here in Prescott, I’m gonna have to wait until someone from the Valley comes up. Another downside to some of the stuff is we have a high-end custom home with high-end appliances like a Viking stove and a Sub-Zero refrigerator. If those things weren’t maintained properly, and they weren’t by the previous owner, that would have cost us an arm and a leg to fix.

We keep HWA still even at the cost of $500 a year because the way I look at it is at $50 a month and there’s always something, we’ll use them at least twice a year. In some fashion, it will pay itself up on its first call out. In the end, it’s a good policy to have. I will continue to buy HWA’s service every year. It’s something I budget for because, ultimately, it’s cheaper to pay the $500 a year than to have to pay for a major appliance going out.

However, HWA outsources their answering service so if I’m calling after hours to get the repair done, it’s not necessarily one of their employees I’m talking to. It can be a bit frustrating when I’m talking to someone whose English is not particularly clear or they don’t understand what I’m explaining to them. Looking back at that garbage disposal issue, when I was telling the person, “Hey, I just called you three weeks ago. We have another problem,” and they were not getting it. Either that was an English as a second language issue or that was people not being able to listen because we have plenty of native speakers that don’t listen.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Home Warranty of America was offered to us when we bought our house and we just renewed it when it expired. Our experience with them has been very pleasurable. We've called in and used the warranty a couple of times and they've sent somebody out. When the capacitor of our AC which went out the contractors came right out in a day and changed it. We were very happy.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My wife and I looked up online and compared different home warranty companies and what people thought about them. Based on that as well as price, we signed up with Home Warranty of America. My wife called them for the garage door opener. Then the garage door guy said that he took care of it and told what he did. He troubleshot the situation and got it working again, so the garage door opener is fine now.

5.00/5

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was looking for home warranty companies online when I bought a house. Some of the services that Home Warranty of America offered like the pool equipment were a little bit more cost-effective than the other companies. And signing up for the service was fast, simple, and easy. I did everything online and I've had to call just to make sure they were getting the information. I've submitted several claims and doing it online has been fast and easy. Their online site is very user-friendly. The quality of service has been excellent so far and as far as them finding the subcontractors and contractors, it has been so ideal. I love it. Having Home Warranty of America is definitely worth it.